PDA

View Full Version : General Hockey Thread v2.0

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

SoCalBronco
01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Crosby with 2 goals in a 6-4 win at Montreal. He is now 1 point behind Ovechkin for the rookie lead. Damn, he almost got an empty netter for the hat trick too. This team is playing totally different under Therrian. Played very well in the last 8,9 games and is starting put together some wins. Im really impressed with youngsters Oullet, Surovy and ofcourse Talbot. Whole bunch of rookies out there each night and they are competing hard and winning.

alkemical
01-04-2006, 07:06 AM
I think the pens are going to be trading someone. I hate to say it, but i think it's pallfy.

Watch the games in turin SoCal, you'll see malik.

Swedish Extrovert
01-04-2006, 04:31 PM
At the risk of making myself sound stupid. I will say this. I guess it doesent matter because I guess Im not the most popular guy on here since I always speak my mind without thinking.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think this is the transition game for aebischer this year. All he needed was a good game like this and get his confidence back. He needs to be our #1.

The only problem is, I really think he would have been out of this slump much sooner had Quinville kept him in.

Clockwork Orange
01-04-2006, 05:01 PM
At the risk of making myself sound stupid. I will say this. I guess it doesent matter because I guess Im not the most popular guy on here since I always speak my mind without thinking.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think this is the transition game for aebischer this year. All he needed was a good game like this and get his confidence back. He needs to be our #1.

The only problem is, I really think he would have been out of this slump much sooner had Quinville kept him in.

He had a very solid game last night, possibly the best he's played all season. Now he needs to be consistant.

Believe me, I want Aebischer to succeed as bad as you do.

Swedish Extrovert
01-04-2006, 06:16 PM
He was phenominal the game I got to go to this year.

SoCalBronco
01-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Crosby with 2 assists so far on 2 Oullet goals. End of 2nd period. Currently, Sid has moved past Ovechkin in the race by 1 point, although Washington has played a game or two less than the Pens.

Clockwork Orange
01-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Crosby isn't doing anything to dispel the reputation as a diver and a whiner though. He got nailed for diving in the 2nd period and then took an extra unsportsmanlike penalty on top of it. Someone needs to tell the kid to shut it once in a while, you can't win an argument with a referee.

llya Kovalchuk is securing his place as the most dangerous offensive player in the league. Two more goals so far tonight to bring his total to 32 in just 39 games to go along with 31 assists. Unbelievable.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-07-2006, 06:16 PM
2 less games after tonight

Mtbrncofn
01-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Three wins in a row. Not too shabby. It does seem to be coming at a price though, as our usual injury bug seems to be hitting. Any word on Turgeon? I missed the first period.

That was a great fight McCormick had too. I was looking forward to seeing the reception Footer would have gotten from the Avs fans.

Clockwork Orange
01-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Three wins in a row. Not too shabby. It does seem to be coming at a price though, as our usual injury bug seems to be hitting. Any word on Turgeon? I missed the first period.

That was a great fight McCormick had too. I was looking forward to seeing the reception Footer would have gotten from the Avs fans.

Actually it's four wins in a row, but who's counting? ;D

No word on Turgeon yet, hopefully it's something minor.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Ovechkin retakes the lead with 2 assists today, still has played a game less

Mtbrncofn
01-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Actually it's four wins in a row, but who's counting? ;D

No word on Turgeon yet, hopefully it's something minor.

I'm so surprised I can't even count!;)

Mtbrncofn
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
The New York Rangers acquired Petr Sykora and a fourth-round draft pick in 2007 from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for defenceman Maxim Kondratiev on Sunday, adding another skilled Czech forward to their offence.

Per TSN.

Is the Ottawa Sun the Enquirer of the NHL? They 'predict' more rumored trades than just about anyone. I would hope this isn't true, but who knows.
" The Colorado Avalanche are looking to move goaltender David Aebischer now that he's playing well and might be willing to see what other teams could offer for forward Milan Hejduk." - Bruce Garrioch.
______

Good Lord, all my jerseys are going to be obsolete if Hejduk were to go.

Mtbrncofn
01-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Yikes.

Avalanche Recalls Richardson
(1/8/2006)

DENVER – The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced Sunday that it has recalled forward Brad Richardson from the club’s American Hockey League affiliate in Lowell, Mass.
He will be making his second appearance with the Avalanche after having gone pointless in four games with the club from November 27-December 4 of 2005.

Richardson is currently fourth in scoring for the Lock Monsters, having tallied 17 points (4g/13a) in 29 games played.

____

This must mean Pierre Turgeon is out for a bit? A little bit, I hope.

Clockwork Orange
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
David Aebischer and Antero Niittymaki were named co-defensive players of the week in the NHL. Congrats boys. :thumbsup:

The offensive player of the week is Sidney Crosby's new best friend....

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20060109/kovalchuk_50444.jpg

Swedish Extrovert
01-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I will shoot myself in the foot if we trade Hejduk.... or Aebischer for that matter, but to a lesser extent.

alkemical
01-09-2006, 02:19 PM
the pens miss brooks - he's the only one that threw his body around to show that they couldnt' beat up on sid.

That being said, sid needs to cool his yap a bit and just play, he'll get the calls...

Bronx33
01-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Ovechkin retakes the lead with 2 assists today, still has played a game less

Svatos with the hat trick!

Clockwork Orange
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
With the hat trick tonight, Svatos has tied Ovechkin for the rookie goal scoring lead at 25, but Ovechkin has played 3 less games.

Either way, nice for Svatos to have a good showing on the national TV game. :thumbsup:

Clockwork Orange
01-09-2006, 08:43 PM
A couple more notes on Marek Svatos.

He's now leading the Western Conference in goals with his 25, ahead of Jonathon Cheechoo of San Jose who has 23.

He's also got 8 game winning goals, tying an NHL record for game winners by a rookie.

The kid is having a hell of a year.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Ovechkin retakes the goal lead tonight and adds another assist, 51 points (26-25) in 40 games

SoCalBronco
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Coach Therrien calls out the defense after tonight's 3-1 loss to Edmonton, also pissed that no one stood up for Crosby, except for Talbot at the end of the Atlanta game:

“It’s a pathetic performance. Half of the team doesn’t care. Pft. You know, it’s like, are we gonna be happy to play 8 minutes? I’m not gonna be happy to play 8 minutes. What those guys will say if we take 40% of their salary because they’re only playing – or 50% of their salary – because they only play 50% of the time? That’s enough.

That defensive squad – I think their goal – I really start to believe their goal is to be the worst defensive squad in the league. And they’re doing such a great job to be the worst defensive squad in the league. They turn the puck over, they have no vision, they’re soft, like – I’ve never seen a bunch of defensemen soft like this. So, you know, you put the two combination, and…

… hey, there’s a lot of guys don’t care. They pretend to care, but they don’t care. Pft.”

[Q: Is this the first team like this you’ve had to work with?]

“It’s a game of emotion, it’s a game of hard work, it’s a game of passion. You know, there’s – hey – Kovalchuk, what he did the other day. There’s not one guy who was close to do something. Maybe Maxime Talbot at the end, with 1 second left. He’s about 5 foot 8. Did they think that, as a coach, that I got the feeling that the team cares for each other? Wow.

You know, try to have a good ambience with the team yesterday. Hey. So I guess we’re gonna have to come back with the old recipe, you know. It’s like – they make my job miserable, so it’s give and take. What can I do? Hey.”

[question]

“I’m so disappointed about lots of guys. Very disappointed. Because they don’t care. If they care – tonight it looks like men against boys. Hey.”

[question]

“Aw, Marc, Marc. He’s playing good for us. Thank God.”

alkemical
01-11-2006, 07:01 AM
SoCal,

that's what brooks brings to the table. I honestly believe he is C material. he called out guys during the last season, his rookie year..... He's also the only guy who'd stick up for the 'stars' which is why he took 'dumb' penalties.

Jackman, tarnstrom, (i hate to say it) malone, gonchar are horrid. I think even Recchi has tanked it as well.

Clockwork Orange
01-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Who do the Pens think they are? The Avalanche? ;)

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1590.0.php

Thibault goes on IR and the Pens call up two goaltenders? Fleury is (or at least should be) the clear cut, hands down #1 goaltender for the Pens, so why call up two when your backup goes down? Is a trade on the horizon for Pittsburgh?

Clockwork Orange
01-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Marek Svatos scores his 26th of the season as the Avs win their 6th straight game, 2-1 over Montreal.

Swedish Extrovert
01-11-2006, 08:47 PM
As long as we beat Philly, we're cool

alkemical
01-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Who do the Pens think they are? The Avalanche? ;)

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1590.0.php

Thibault goes on IR and the Pens call up two goaltenders? Fleury is (or at least should be) the clear cut, hands down #1 goaltender for the Pens, so why call up two when your backup goes down? Is a trade on the horizon for Pittsburgh?

Nope, i'm believing they will send fluery down so they don't have to pay him

phillybroncosnut
01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
As long as we beat Philly, we're cool

We'll, you'll definately catch us at the right time. The game will be the Flyers first home game after finishing an 11 game road swing.
Notoriously, teams struggle in the first game back at home after a long road trip.
You'll catch us at a very good time.

Clockwork Orange
01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Islander fans, there's finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150473&hubname=

Mike Milbury is finally stepping down as the Isles GM. It's the end of an error. There should be a parade on Long Island after this announcement.

alkemical
01-12-2006, 10:15 AM
he's jacked that team up at times - sometimes i wonder of Patrick should go for my pens.

Clockwork Orange
01-12-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/01/251980.html

Nice Forsberg interview from nhl.com. Class act as always, nothing but good things to say about Colorado and his former team.

As much as I enjoy watching him play, I'm not exactly looking forward to the Avs having to go up against him on Saturday. I have a feeling that he's gonna have a little extra jump for this one.

Bronx33
01-12-2006, 02:04 PM

Nice Forsberg interview from nhl.com. Class act as always, nothing but good things to say about Colorado and his former team.

As much as I enjoy watching him play, I'm not exactly looking forward to the Avs having to go up against him on Saturday. I have a feeling that he's gonna have a little extra jump for this one.

I don't think it's going to be a big deal for half the team practiced against him for a long time.

Clockwork Orange
01-12-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think it's going to be a big deal for half the team practiced against him for a long time.

That doesn't mean they can stop him in live game action.

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't put up some numbers on Saturday.

Jori
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
11 game road trip...man that is crazy...

No doubt Forsberg will have a whale of a game on Saturday. The only thing that sucks is that the Avs don't play the Flyers next year. Who knows what he'll do after 06-07.

Clockwork Orange
01-12-2006, 02:17 PM
11 game road trip...man that is crazy...

No doubt Forsberg will have a whale of a game on Saturday. The only thing that sucks is that the Avs don't play the Flyers next year. Who knows what he'll do after 06-07.

I imagine he'll retire. He was pretty adament that he only wanted to sign a 2 year deal and I think it's because he plans on hanging up the skates at that point. He's not old in years, but his body has a lot of mileage on it after the beating he's taken throughout his career.

Breck Bronc
01-12-2006, 03:03 PM

As much as I enjoy watching him play, I'm not exactly looking forward to the Avs having to go up against him on Saturday. I have a feeling that he's gonna have a little extra jump for this one.Just got done reading the article. Gotta love Foppa. I was in Miami to visit my parents for Christmas and got the chance to see Forsberg play the Panthers on 12/26. It was great to see Peter play in person for the first time in over two seasons and it might be the last chance I get because of Bettman's stupid new unbalanced schedule. The fans of Colorado deserve a chance to give Foppa one last standing ovation.

Anyway, Forsberg was held scoreless by the Panthers and broke a couple of sticks in frustration for some uncharacteristically bad plays he made. The game went to a shootout (just as my Dad and I were hoping for) and Forsberg missed the net trying to beat Luongo with a wrist shot to the high-blocker side. (Times like this I really wish I had a digital SLR like Pez. I do the best with what I have)

http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/2423/forsbergtriestopshelfsmdsc0184.jpg

As far as Saturday's game, Forsberg will have some extra jump, but I'm sure Sakic, Tanguay, Hejduk, Blake, Aebischer and all of his other ex-teammates will have extra motivation to try and outplay Peter, too. I expect an entertaining game and hope the Avs can at least make it to overtime and get a point. A 7th straight win would be even better, obviously, but I'd rather the Broncos win and Avalanche lose than the other way around. And if both the Broncos and Avalanche lose I'm going to be in one bad mood for quite a while.

Swedish Extrovert
01-12-2006, 05:12 PM
My God, I want a LOT this weekend in sports. Possibly more than any other weekend.

First, the Avs HAVE to knock off the Flyers... make Forsberg realize what he's missing and that the Flyers are going nowhere.

Then its the Broncos in the divisional playoff. All I asked for this year was a playoff win, but I'm getting greedy, and I think we can take the Colts - but we have to take care of the Pats.

Sadly, my mind tells me the Broncos game is much more important, but my heart will probabally be with the Av's. It will be depressing to see Lucifer - I mean Forsberg - in an Flyers uniform.

I think that the rangers are my new adopted second favorite team right now... mainly because of Jagr and Lundqvist.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Ovechkin netted #27 tonight

Clockwork Orange
01-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Ovechkin nets his 28th in the 2nd period against Anaheim.

Clockwork Orange
01-13-2006, 08:44 PM
And there's number 29. Wow, just wow.

Clockwork Orange
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
And he gets his first career hat trick with the game winner in OT. Final score:

Ovechkin 3
Anaheim 2

That gets him to 30 on the season. I'm running out of adjectives for this kid.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
and #30 in OT to win the game. First ever hat trick.

Clockwork Orange
01-13-2006, 10:04 PM
He's now 3rd in the NHL in goals, trailing only Kovalchuk (34) & Gagne (31).

Swedish Extrovert
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Okay this is pissing me off. NBC is broadcasting New York - Detroit

I WANTED THE PHILLY GAME

**** YOU NBC, **** YOU

SoCalBronco
01-14-2006, 11:32 AM
AO is a beast.

SoCalBronco
01-14-2006, 11:32 AM
New ISS Rankings

TOP 15 '06 PROSPECTS
1 E. Johnson USA
2 J. Toews UND
3 P. Kessel UMIN
4 J. Staal PET
5 P. Mueller EVE
6 M. Frolik CZE
7 N. Backstrom SWE
8 J. Sheppard CB
9 J. Degray BRA
10 B. Little BAR
11 B. Sanguinetti OWE
12 K. Okposo DSMN
13 A. Vasyunov RUS
14 D. Brassard DRU
15 N. Williams USA

Breck Bronc
01-14-2006, 11:45 AM
A rather uneventful first period in the Avs/Flyers game. Liles scores on the powerplay to make it 1-0 Avs after one. It looked like Forsberg gave Sakic a little love tap on the back after their first shift of the game.

Philly fans, who's that on Antero Nittymaki's goalie mask? Al Capone? It looks like a gangster.

Breck Bronc
01-14-2006, 12:36 PM
2-1 Avs after two periods. I thought Colorado played great that period except on special teams. They had to score on that two minute 5-on-3 and I think it will come back to haunt them next period. I hope we can hold on to at least get one point; two would be great.

Jens1893
01-14-2006, 01:27 PM

phillybroncosnut
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
That was a pretty good game. As I expected, the Flyers were pretty much flat for 57 minutes.

That last 3 minute flury in regulation was sheer brilliance by the Knuble, Forsberg, Gagne line.
I'm thrilled to get a point out of that game. I expected a 5-1 loss in regulation before the puck was even dropped. We actually had a chance to win the game.
I thought the refs chit the bed when they handed Colorado a couple 2 full man advantages in this game.
In OT, that was not a penalty. Which one? How about both of them.
I'm not blaming the bad calls for the Flyers loss but 3 straight minutes short 2 men pretty much does you in when your in OT.
I'm not sure what the hell Kim Johnsonn was thinking. He had all day to clear the puck. Instead, he waits a couple seconds and allows a Lanche player to take it off him and slam it home for the game winner.

This was a definate win for the Flyers though. Getting a point when you trail by 2 goals with just under 2:40 left in the game, is definately a win.

BTW Nitty was awesome again tonight. That kid is the goalie of the future and the future is now opon us.

Breck Bronc
01-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Great to get a W after choking away the last 3 minutes of regulation. That's why Forsberg is the best player in the NHL. We kept him in check for 57 minutes and then Skrastins takes a questionable penalty; Bam, Forsberg gets two huge points.

Marek Svatos absolutely schooled Johnsson (I think it was Johnsson) in OT. What moves this guy has. Nittymaki made a great save when Svatos tried to go five hole for the winner.

7 in a row; January is definitely Colorado's month. This is starting to feel like the 12-game winning streak the Avs ran off in January of 1999.

Toronto comes to Denver for the first time in almost a decade Tuesday night.

Phillybroncosnut, who's on Nittymaki's goalie mask with the gun? I like his mask.

phillybroncosnut
01-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Great to get a W after choking away the last 3 minutes of regulation. That's why Forsberg is the best player in the NHL. We kept him in check for 57 minutes and then Skrastins takes a questionable penalty; Bam, Forsberg gets two huge points.

Marek Svatos absolutely schooled Johnsson (I think it was Johnsson) in OT. What moves this guy has. Nittymaki made a great save when Svatos tried to go five hole for the winner.

7 in a row; January is definitely Colorado's month. This is starting to feel like the 12-game winning streak the Avs ran off in January of 1999.

Toronto comes to Denver for the first time in almost a decade Tuesday night.

Phillybroncosnut, who's on Nittymaki's goalie mask with the gun? I like his mask.

Svatos schooled Freddy Meyer. Meyer is a rookie and really not ready for the NHl. he has been back there and has done a decent job since his call up.
Meyer was called up when Joni Pitkanen and Eric Desjardins got injured 2 months ago. I like Meyer's potential, but, like I said, he's just not "NHL" ready yet. We serverely miss Desjardins and Pitkanen (and primeau) on both the Power Play and penalty kill.
The only player we have that possesses a good shot from the point on the Power play right now is Johnsonn.

I am not 100% sure, But I think Nitty has Al Capone on his helmet. I try to dig something up on who is on his helmet though.

Mtbrncofn
01-14-2006, 09:51 PM
I trusted my husband to set the VCR and record the game for me today, while I was skiing. Silly me. He set it for PM instead of AM, so I didn't get to see ****. I saw the final score and that was it. Guess that was the best part.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Goal #31 and assist #26, but I think that goal is going to get credited to Zubrus. Weird goal with a 'Yotes defender knocking the puck towards the center and it hit off of another 'Yote to go in. Thought Zubrus was the last Cap with control and that's who the broadcast credited it to, but NHL.com and ESPN have AO with the goal. 5-1 Caps with 6 minutes left in the 2nd in Phoenix, this shouldn't be happening.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-16-2006, 04:14 PM
#32 and it was absolutely sick, down on the ice and he slides it by Boucher

Link to the goal page:
http://www.rh71.com/projects/ovechkin/

Clockwork Orange
01-17-2006, 12:09 PM
#32 and it was absolutely sick, down on the ice and he slides it by Boucher

Link to the goal page:
http://www.rh71.com/projects/ovechkin/

:notworthy

That was off the page. The kid is just putting on a show this year.

Mtbrncofn
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
That was incredible. It's definitely getting lots of airplay on ESPN.

alkemical
01-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Updated: Jan. 18, 2006, 10:41 AM ET
Penguins right wing Palffy retires

BRATISLAVA, Slovakia -- Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Ziggy Palffy retired Wednesday due to personal reasons, the team announced. A slovak newspaper reported that he quit because of a lingering shoulder injury.

Mtbrncofn
01-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Holy crap! That came out of nowhere.

alkemical
01-18-2006, 10:32 AM
ya

Clockwork Orange
01-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Are the Pens still on the hook for his salary? Not quite sure how that works in the new NHL.

alkemical
01-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't think so, and that would be great!

SoCalBronco
01-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow.

alkemical
01-18-2006, 11:22 AM
now only if gonchar would retire....

SoCalBronco
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
You can breathe easy now, Herc. Actually, I dont think there was any viable scenario where he was going back, but at least its good that you wont have to pay them anything.

Court: Ovechkin won't be forced to return to Russia
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Two days after scoring the highlight goal of the NHL season, Washington Capitals rookie Alex Ovechkin learned that he will stay in the league.

Ovechkin

A judge ruled Wednesday that he cannot be forced to return to Russia to play for his former team, Dynamo Moscow.

Ovechkin leads all rookies with 32 goals and 58 points and will play for the Russian national team at the Torino Olympics. On Monday night, he scored with an outstretched flick of his stick while rolling on the ice after a hard check by defenseman Paul Mara in a win at Phoenix.

Dynamo wanted the court to enforce a Russian arbitrator's ruling that the team still owns the rights to the 20-year-old left wing.

Ovechkin played three years for Dynamo before moving to another Russian club, Avangard Omsk. He then opted out of his 2005-06 contract with Avangard Omsk to join the Capitals.

Dynamo contended it had matched Avangard Omsk's offer to Ovechkin, although without the opt-out clause.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan dismissed the case. He said the evidence "supports the argument that Ovechkin wished to end his relationship with Dynamo once and for all."

Smiling Assassin27
01-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Well look who's in first place in the Northwest Division! Way to go Avvies, back where you belong. See you Saturday.

Sincerely,

The Wings

Bronx33
01-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Well look who's in first place in the Northwest Division! Way to go Avvies, back where you belong. See you Saturday.

Sincerely,

The Wings

Bring it!

Mtbrncofn
01-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Sincerely,

The Wings

Bout time you gave us some kudos. I know you'll be there on Sat. Hope you don't get treated too badly. :P

SoCalBronco
01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Crosby with a goal and an assist. Early third period, 2-2 against NYR.

Bronx33
01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2229790

Stevie Y is wondering why the NHL had to mess with a good thing.

In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, Steve Yzerman spoke out about the new NHL -- and so far, he's not a fan.

"Everybody keeps saying this is great. It's not great," Yzerman told the Free Press. "It's not hockey."

In particular, Yzerman believes referees should use better judgment when calling penalties.

Yzerman made his opinion known after the Red Wings' overtime loss to the Oilers on Thursday. Although the Red Wings are 15-4-2 under the NHL's new rules, they're winless in their past three games.

A Mathieu Schneider holding penalty in the second period of Thursday night's loss irked Yzerman in particular.

"There are penalties all over," he told the newspaper. "I'll just use Mathieu Schneider's penalty as an example. He steps up and takes his guy out, and his stick gets caught and the crowd cheers so the referee puts his hand up. There has to be some discretion. The referees have to use some judgment on what is a penalty and what is not. They've taken judgment out of it and I think it's somewhat made it easy on the referees just to call anything, because there is no judgment.

"Good referees used to have good judgment. Now they've taken that out of the game. I'm not saying I'm blaming the referees for it, I just feel the whole thing has to be adjusted and they have to look at this seriously. They can't continue to call irrelevant things that have no business being called."

Yzerman, in his 22nd NHL season, has two goals and four assists for the Red Wings in 2005.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Ovy with an average night. Highlight reel goal in the first, assist in the 3rd, and a goal in the shootout. Up to 60 points now and only 1 goal off of Ilya for the league lead.

Bronx33
01-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Byran berard tests positive for steroids,http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151485&hubname=nhl

Bronx33
01-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Ovy with an average night. Highlight reel goal in the first, assist in the 3rd, and a goal in the shootout. Up to 60 points now and only 1 goal off of Ilya for the league lead.

Typical rookie stuff.......pffttt.

Mtbrncofn
01-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Byran berard tests positive for steroids,http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151485&hubname=nhl

Whoa. I wonder if steroid use really is a problem in the NHL? Honestly, I've never given it much thought.

Mtbrncofn
01-20-2006, 12:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2229790

Stevie Y is wondering why the NHL had to mess with a good thing.

In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, Steve Yzerman spoke out about the new NHL -- and so far, he's not a fan.

"Everybody keeps saying this is great. It's not great," Yzerman told the Free Press. "It's not hockey."

In particular, Yzerman believes referees should use better judgment when calling penalties.

Yzerman made his opinion known after the Red Wings' overtime loss to the Oilers on Thursday. Although the Red Wings are 15-4-2 under the NHL's new rules, they're winless in their past three games.

A Mathieu Schneider holding penalty in the second period of Thursday night's loss irked Yzerman in particular.

"There are penalties all over," he told the newspaper. "I'll just use Mathieu Schneider's penalty as an example. He steps up and takes his guy out, and his stick gets caught and the crowd cheers so the referee puts his hand up. There has to be some discretion. The referees have to use some judgment on what is a penalty and what is not. They've taken judgment out of it and I think it's somewhat made it easy on the referees just to call anything, because there is no judgment.

"Good referees used to have good judgment. Now they've taken that out of the game. I'm not saying I'm blaming the referees for it, I just feel the whole thing has to be adjusted and they have to look at this seriously. They can't continue to call irrelevant things that have no business being called."

Yzerman, in his 22nd NHL season, has two goals and four assists for the Red Wings in 2005.
That's why Stevie isn't liking the new rules too much.

Clockwork Orange
01-20-2006, 01:18 AM

They mentioned it during the game tonight and I think its getting to the point of valid discussion, that maybe it's time to stop talking about Ovechkin for just the Calder Trophy and start talking about him as a Hart Trophy candidate. I know that he likely won't get any serious consideration for the award because the Caps will likely finish in last place, but in all seriousness, can you think of a player who's been more valuable to his team this year?

Smiling Assassin27
01-20-2006, 08:31 AM
That's why Stevie isn't liking the new rules too much.

He's had plenty of time to watch the games since he's been injured for the better part of the year. That would explain his low numbers and also probably his pissy mood.

alkemical
01-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Crosby with a goal and an assist. Early third period, 2-2 against NYR.

they need to get some tough guys who can skate on his line - not just goons - but a guy like a draper or something - damn this team makes me sick

alkemical
01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
They mentioned it during the game tonight and I think its getting to the point of valid discussion, that maybe it's time to stop talking about Ovechkin for just the Calder Trophy and start talking about him as a Hart Trophy candidate. I know that he likely won't get any serious consideration for the award because the Caps will likely finish in last place, but in all seriousness, can you think of a player who's been more valuable to his team this year?

caps in last place?

Hardly

Bronx33
01-20-2006, 09:29 PM
By JOE MANDAK, Associated Press Writer

Thu Jan 19, 12:52 AM

PITTSBURGH - The Penguins are considering several offers to buy the team, and keeping it in Pittsburgh will remain a priority but is not guaranteed.

A recent offer by a casino firm to build a new arena, an influx of young talent and the NHL's new collective bargaining agreement have made the time right to consider selling, Penguins owner-player Mario Lemieux said Thursday.

``We've had quite a few inquiries over the last few months,'' Lemieux said. ``I think the timing was right to look at them and explore them and see what our options are. ... We've laid the foundation for the future and hopefully in a way that they'll stay here forever.''

Lemieux and team president Ken Sawyer wouldn't identify the interested parties. Most of the prospective buyers approached them before Isle of Capri Casinos Inc. offered last month to pay $290 million for a new arena, if the gambling firm gets a license to operate a slot machine parlor in Pittsburgh.

Lemieux has said the team would stay in Pittsburgh if Isle of Capri gets the slots license and that any new owner would be bound by that agreement. Isle of Capri must beat out three others seeking the license, which isn't expected to be awarded until later this year.

The Penguins' lease on 45-year-old Mellon Arena, the smallest and oldest facility in the NHL, runs through June 2008, and Lemieux has said the team could leave the city if it doesn't have a new arena by then.

Asked why he's not waiting to see if the Isle of Capri deal is approved before selling the team, Lemieux said: ``I said before I'm not going to be the one that's going to move the franchise, and there's a possibility of that happening.''

But Lemieux said the team isn't being shopped in an effort to move it.

``There's some (interested buyers) from out of town, but that doesn't mean they're going to move the team to Kansas City or Vegas or Houston or all the towns that have been mentioned,'' Lemieux said.

Lemieux and Sawyer wouldn't discuss the team's value.

Mike Ozanian, a senior editor who specializes in sports franchises at Forbes Magazine, said the value of all NHL franchises has increased since before the lockout due to the salary cap. He estimates the Penguins are worth $100 million, but would be worth up to 30 percent more with a new arena.

Lemieux and Sawyer said the team isn't being sold out of frustration with its performance - the Penguins entered play Thursday with just 31 points, the second lowest total in the NHL - or because state and local politicians have yet to come up with a deal for a new arena.

``I hope none of you expected Mario to own this team forever,'' Sawyer said. ``He's done more than he should ... and he's teed this up perfectly for the community to jump at a great opportunity for this team to stay here.''

The team filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 1998, after running up $120 million in debt under former owners Howard Baldwin and Roger Marino. Lemieux's group bought the team out of bankruptcy and he further boosted its fortunes by ending his 44-month retirement in December 2000.

Swedish Extrovert
01-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I ****ing hate NBC

Al Wilson
01-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Got Spezza?

Sens had best game of the season. Absolute domination.

Clockwork Orange
01-21-2006, 09:44 PM
2 more assists for Ovechkin tonight.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-21-2006, 10:05 PM
caps in last place?

Hardly

He's got a team full of guys who should be in the AHL compared to your team who went, spent money and tried to compete for a playoff spot. So who's doing better? The fact that they aren't the worst team in the NHL when they're probably the least talented team in the league by a decent margin speaks volumes about Ovechkin and what he's brought to the team. He has about 15 more points than the #2 and 3 scorers on his team, combined.

Oh, and Mario won the Hart one year on a terrible Pittsburgh team.

Al Wilson
01-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Love Ovechkin, and he is a superstar for sure.

But I just don't like his celebrations. Celebrate with your team mates and act as if you've scored before.

alkemical
01-23-2006, 09:18 AM
He's got a team full of guys who should be in the AHL compared to your team who went, spent money and tried to compete for a playoff spot. So who's doing better? The fact that they aren't the worst team in the NHL when they're probably the least talented team in the league by a decent margin speaks volumes about Ovechkin and what he's brought to the team. He has about 15 more points than the #2 and 3 scorers on his team, combined.

Oh, and Mario won the Hart one year on a terrible Pittsburgh team.

obviously you aren't watching any pens games and i don't blame you. They are by far the worst team in the NHL.

The caps play more as a team and will have more wins than Pitt this year.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-23-2006, 02:57 PM
obviously you aren't watching any pens games and i don't blame you. They are by far the worst team in the NHL.

The caps play more as a team and will have more wins than Pitt this year.

That's the point. The Pens actually have talent on their roster and still suck, while the Caps have Ovechkin and guys like Morrisson and Eminger who should not be seeing the minutes they're seeing at this point in their careers. The Caps roster is full of guys who aren't ready or just plain suck, and everyone expected them to finish dead last in the NHL by far. The Caps are an overachieving team.

alkemical
01-23-2006, 03:04 PM
That's the point. The Pens actually have talent on their roster and still suck, while the Caps have Ovechkin and guys like Morrisson and Eminger who should not be seeing the minutes they're seeing at this point in their careers. The Caps roster is full of guys who aren't ready or just plain suck, and everyone expected them to finish dead last in the NHL by far. The Caps are an overachieving team.

I guess i don't get your point, the pens are last in the NHL. They will probably win the lotto again *sigh*

Jori
01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I guess i don't get your point, the pens are last in the NHL. They will probably win the lotto again *sigh*
And if they are smart, they'll take Erik Johnson.

alkemical
01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
They would if they are smart. We'd have whitney, brooks, fluery, crosby, and malkin with johnson that would be a nice foundation

Breck Bronc
01-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Gotta love the "my team is worse than yours" banter.

Now that the Broncos season is over and football is essentially done, let's get some more hockey talk going.

Who are the best three goalies so far this season? I'd have to go with Dominik Hasek, Henrik Lundqvist, and Miikka Kiprusoff.

Hasek has a stacked team in front of him, but he's still played well; much better than I thought he would after not playing in the NHL for quite a while.

Lundqvist has kind of come out of nowhere to lead the Rangers to respectibility. If it weren't for Ovechkin (and Crosby and Svatos to a lesser extent), Lundqvist would be an easy choice for the Calder.

Kiprusoff is the leader of the Flames and the Finnish goaltender invasion. He's got a good defensive hockey team in front of him though Kipper still makes big saves at key times.

Outside of my top three, Ryan Miller has been playing good in net for Buffalo and I hope he starts for the US Olympic team next month. Manny Fernandez might be the most underrated player in the NHL, Tomas Vokoun continues to play well under the radar for Nashville, and Roberto Luongo keeps making saves behind a bad team.

Swedish Extrovert
01-23-2006, 06:41 PM

Andro isn't a steroid. Our trainer had some of us taking that stuff in High School for football. I never took anything like norandrosterone, glutamine, creatine, etc. It is naturally occuring in your body, I guess he just wanted more of it.

Mtbrncofn
01-23-2006, 08:23 PM
It is a steroid. It's a banned substance. He broke the rules, now he pays the price.

Bronx33
01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Andro isn't a steroid. Our trainer had some of us taking that stuff in High School for football. I never took anything like norandrosterone, glutamine, creatine, etc. It is naturally occuring in your body, I guess he just wanted more of it.

Nandrolone http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/nandrolone/nandj.htm

Why you are questioning me? it's banned no ifs and or buts.

Al Wilson
01-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Hasek has a stacked team in front of him, but he's still played well; much better than I thought he would after not playing in the NHL for quite a while.
I've watched all the Sens games and been to about 10 this season.

Let me tell you, this guy is MVP of the team.

Hell give him the Big Mac, this guy is a top 3 candidate for MVP of the NHL.

SoCalBronco
01-24-2006, 12:44 AM

I admit I am ignorant regarding the talent level of Ovechkin's supporting cast, but I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that the Penguins dont have "talent" so far as refined guys who ready to make plays every night outside of Crosby. All this talk about the offensive weapons on this team has turned out to be a myth. LeClair....nothing in the tank. Recchin' Ball....same deal. Palffy was skilled but ofcourse he isnt there now and he was not producing this season. He simply wasnt. Gonchar....garbage. Done nothing for the offense and nothing for the PP. Tarnstrom......i have barely noticed him this year, he used to be a point per game defenseman now he is ****. None of these guys scares anyone. There are gritty young players who work hard like Talbot, but he doesnt scare anyone. Tomas Surovy and Michel Oullet (despite his real hot streak a week ago) are bit players. There isnt any offense on this team besides Crosby. Everyone else flat out sucks, or they simply are too young (Armstrong, Christensen who got sent down again, Whitney as an offensive defenseman).

I dont think Crosby is in a better position than Ovechkin in terms of having a better supporting cast. Neither of them have **** to work with.

alkemical
01-24-2006, 08:56 AM
mario is going to retire today - well with him and pallfy of the books the $$$ they loose this year should be minimized.

Also in reguards to ovechkin and crosby -

ovechkin is ahead of crosby in terms of development.

Bronx33
01-24-2006, 10:37 AM
mario is going to retire today - well with him and pallfy of the books the $$$ they loose this year should be minimized.

Also in reguards to ovechkin and crosby -

ovechkin is ahead of crosby in terms of development.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2304087

ITTSBURGH -- Penguins star and owner Mario Lemieux, one of hockey's greatest players, is retiring for the second time, a team official said Tuesday.

Mario Lemieux
Lemieux

Lemieux, a Hall of Famer who won Stanley Cups and scoring titles and then battled through cancer and heart problems in a comeback, will announce his decision at a news conference later Tuesday.

The team official requested anonymity because a formal announcement had not been made.

Lemieux's retirement was first reported on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Web site.

The 40-year-old Lemieux learned in early December he has atrial fibrillation, an irregular heartbeat that can cause his pulse to flutter wildly and must be controlled by medication.

Lemieux, the NHL's seventh-leading career scorer with 1,723 points, tried to return a week after being hospitalized with the problem, but it flared up again during a Dec. 16 game against Buffalo and he has not played since.

Lemieux has been practicing the last several weeks with the intent on returning this season but, with the Penguins stuck in a 10-game losing streak and with no hope of them making the playoffs, decided to quit playing for a second time.

He also retired after the 1996-97 season following years of back problems and a 1993 cancer scare in which he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, but he returned midway through the 2000-01 season and has played since.

However, he has again fought through injuries -- including two major hip problems -- that caused him to miss most of the 2001-02 and 2003-04 seasons. He had seven goals and 15 assists in 26 games this season.

Lemieux, a first-ballot Hall of Fame inductee in 1997, led the Penguins -- the NHL's worst team before he was drafted in 1984 -- to successive Stanley Cup championships in 1991 and 1992. He won six NHL scoring titles, three MVP awards and two Conn Smythe awards as the Stanley Cup playoffs MVP.

Lemieux, who wore No. 66 throughout his career, scored 690 goals and had 1,033 assists in 915 career games. He also became the first major pro sports star to buy the team for which he played, assembling a group that bought the team in federal bankruptcy court in 1999.

Lemieux's group has owned the team since but announced last week it is selling -- a possible prelude to the team leaving Pittsburgh in June 2007. The team has partnered with a casino company that is promising to build the Penguins a new $290 million arena if it obtains a slot machine parlor license for downtown Pittsburgh, but there appears to be little hope the team will stay if there is no new arena.

One reason Lemieux is selling is because he doesn't want to be the owner who relocates the team from Pittsburgh.

After his stunning return in December 2000, which surprised even his close friends, Lemieux helped the Penguins to the Eastern Conference final that season but the team has not made the playoffs since.

alkemical
01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
ya, that's why i said mario is going to retire today in that post you quoted.

Bronx33
01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
ya, that's why i said mario is going to retire today in that post you quoted.

Just posting the info/link.

Bronx33
01-25-2006, 02:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/JesGolbez/00016cb.jpg

Sorry but this cracked me up..

Jens1893
01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
http://ciforums.cjb.net/index.php?act=idx

if you know how to work bit torrent that website is a gold mine ... registration required

Bronx33
01-26-2006, 12:18 PM
http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2006/01/26/1412155-sun.html

CHICAGO -- Calgary Flames backup goaltender Philippe Sauve, who avoided a suspension or a fine for his role in a late-game dust-up in Colorado Tuesday, has been placed on waivers.

Calgary GM/head coach Darryl Sutter wouldn't confirm or deny the transaction and didn't answer when asked yesterday at the team's hotel whether it was true one of his players was indeed on waivers.

The move could mean one of a few scenarios.

One could be to make room for another netminder to be brought in by trade. There are several goaltenders believed to be on the market, ranging from Florida's Roberto Luongo and Montreal's Jose Theodore to Buffalo's Mika Noronen and San Jose's Vesa Toskala.

Another could be so Sauve could be sent to the minors to receive more playing time, having played in only two games since Dec. 7.

Or else it could be the Flames are disappointed with his performance this season and are willing to expose him with the belief another goaltender could be found.

Through eight games this season, the rookie has posted a 3.28 goals-against average and .891 save percentage to go with a 3-3-0 record.

In his last start, Sauve surrendered seven goals on 27 shots in a 7-4 loss to Colorado and was ejected in the final minute after going the length of the ice to get into an altercation with Avalanche goalie David Aebischer.

Yesterday the word came down no supplemental discipline would be handed out from league v.p. and director of hockey operations Colin Campbell. Sutter was expecting that result.

"It's what I said after the game ... there was no fight," Sutter said.

"I agree with Kerry and Dennis (referees Fraser and LaRue), because they're veteran referees but what it shows is the goaltender's focus, or lack of focus, became a frustration point for him and that was his reaction.

"There wasn't a punch thrown. They could have given them two minutes for wiping mascara off, or something like that."

With 31.3 seconds left in the game, Sauve joined in a melee in front of the Colorado goal and tangled with Avs netminder David Aebischer.

Sauve was assessed minor penalties for leaving the crease and an instigating, major for fighting and game misconduct.

Under Rule 56a, any player instigating a fight in the final five minutes of a game or overtime is to receive a 10-minute misconduct and one-game suspension.

As well, the coach faces a $10,000 fine.

However, the league has not doled out the extra punishment in the past -- most notably when Phoenix captain Shane Doan was handed an instigator after an incident with Anaheim's Vitaly Vishnevski.

alkemical
01-26-2006, 12:41 PM
after watching crosby last night - i'm glad the pens got him

Bronx33
01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
after watching crosby last night - i'm glad the pens got him

Ya i watch the whole game and he was very impressive remember that goal where he soccer kicked the puck across the front of the net and filed it that was a pretty **** for sure.

alkemical
01-26-2006, 01:28 PM
I think they should scrap any system and just let the young kids play, and trade all the vets that they can to get something in return, even if it is for more kris beech's.

Bronx33
01-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Edmonton was busy today...

Getting Dick Tarnstrom from the Pittsburgh Penguins and Jaroslav Spacek, Edmonton sent forward Jani Rita and defenceman Cory Cross to Pittsburgh while parting with prospect forward Tony Salmelainen in return for Spacek.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060126_155502_6064

alkemical
01-26-2006, 03:29 PM
thanks man, tarnstrom's been on the list - to bad no one wants gonchar.

Bronx33
01-27-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152543&hubname=

Looks more like whitney tried to remove ovechkins peanuts..

http://hfhelper03.hockeyfights.com/cf1109/060125_willsie_whitney.wmv

alkemical
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
yeah, the PITT spin is it wasn't a 'traditional' spear....

Either way, it was dirty

i saw it live and thought he deserved a 1game suspension just for warning.

Bronx33
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Darryl Sutter has dropped the ball on this one.

The Flames head coach/GM has unnecessarily backed himself into a corner by sparking a controversy his club could do without.

Exhibiting the same lack of composure that prompted goalie Phil Sauve to skate the length of the ice for a Colorado catfight Tuesday, Sutter has spent the week lambasting his beleaguered backup in the press.

Following the first truly shoddy performance of Sauve's otherwise average stint in Calgary, Sutter placed the 'keeper on waivers right after the 7-4 loss and has followed it up with incessant talk of Sauve being the team's weakest link, capable only of giving his team a "chance to lose" every night.

What, may we ask, is to gain from publicly scolding the kid?

It's one thing for a coach to lose faith in a player and make the necessary steps to have him replaced.

It's quite another to humiliate him, especially when the target is a young backup essentially making minimum wage.

Sutter's demand that a backup tabbed to play 15 games should win 10 of them is unrealistic given Sauve is a second-year NHLer making $500,000 on a one-year deal. Before the loss to the Avs, Sauve was 3-2 with a 2.62 GAA and .914 save percentage, which is respectable.

Sauve then stumbled, prompting Sutter to do the same.

While Sutter's routine use of the media to call out veterans such as Jarome Iginla and Andrew Ference is his way of lighting a fire under them, his chastising of Sauve could break the youngster who was equally ordinary in Colorado.

With Miikka Kiprusoff's backup slated to make four or five more starts at best, it's unlikely Sauve will get a chance to redeem himself anytime soon, unless it's in Omaha.

And that's the biggest problem Sutter has created for himself.

Now he has to make a move right away. Keeping Sauve up with the big club will cause nothing but distractions as he sits on the pine and isn't able to improve or prove his worth. Sending him down and bringing up raw rookies Brent Krahn or Curtis McElhinney won't give Sutter any more confidence in the backup. So he has to make a trade, wasting valuable cap money on a bit-playing goalie instead of putting it towards getting help down the middle in the form of, say, the fans' dream acquisition, Doug Weight.

Had Sutter voiced his displeasure with Sauve privately, he could have gone about solving the issue quietly. Instead, the goalie has now been alienated (not to mention terrified his NHL career could be over) and every GM in the league knows Sutter is itching to grab a goaltender. Hardly dealing from a position of strength or addressing the team's real needs.

As phenomenal a job as Sutter has done since he got here three years ago, he exposed himself as another Calgary coaching icon, Wally Buono, occasionally did -- as a man respected for his coaching abilities but not exactly the players' Pal of the Year.

Being professionals, not to mention friends with Sauve, very few players will be happy with Sutter's recent tact. It shouldn't have been a big deal. Unquestionably humiliated by his own and his team's showing in Colorado, Sauve's silly slap-fest with David Aebischer clearly rubbed Sutter the wrong way, eliciting an over-the-top response in which he also questioned the player's work ethic and preparation.

As irrational and unwarranted as his attack on Sauve has been, perhaps Sutter will be able to use the goalie in yet another trade demonstrating the Midas touch he's had ever since he got here.

At this point, he'll have to.

Or the mid-season blowout could blow up into something that dogs this club all season long.

Swedish Extrovert
01-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Bougner actually scores.... wow

Jens1893
01-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Bougner actually scores.... wow

it was brunette who patted his shot down ...

avs should´ve got more out of the second period ...

Bronx33
01-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Lappy vs kesler

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3UYCV2XSMNMYE3FS50ZSF6XR5L

Swedish Extrovert
01-29-2006, 11:45 AM
How come whenever the Av's get close, they fail?

Swedish Extrovert
01-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Lappy vs kesler

I love Lappy. That was awesome.

Jens1893
01-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Lappy vs kesler

wonder if lappy fought him for the hit or because kesler injured liles ...

Bronx33
01-29-2006, 12:16 PM
wonder if lappy fought him for the hit or because kesler injured liles ...

Lappy got him for the elbows he was throwing on him.

Al Wilson
01-29-2006, 09:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/JesGolbez/00016cb.jpg

Sorry but this cracked me up..
Foresberg should be included there with Injured E

Breck Bronc
01-30-2006, 04:22 AM
Foresberg should be included there with Injured E
Who's Foresberg?

Bronx33
01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060130_124322_3104

I believe I now have as good a chance as any to win a Stanley Cup and there was no way I was going to pass this up."

Sportsnet.ca -- The St. Louis Blues continue to clean house.

Sportsnet has learned the Blues have dealt highly-coveted centre Doug Weight to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Weight told Sportsnet he learned of the proposal Sunday night and agreed to waive his no-trade clause on Monday morning.

"I'm very excited to be going to such a great team," Weight said. "I believe I now have as good a chance as any to win a Stanley Cup and there was no way I was going to pass this up."

A source close to the Hurricanes would not confirm who Carolina had to give up in the trade, other than to say a "depth-type roster player, but the Hurricanes did not jeopardize the future to make this deal".

Weight, who served as an assistant captain with the team, was also the Blues' leading scorer with 11 goals and 33 assists.

The move comes a day after St. Louis sent the Blues' second-leading scorer Mike Sillinger to Nashville for Timofei Shishkanov.

Bronx33
01-30-2006, 12:27 PM
In exchange for Weight and left wing Erkki Rajamaki, the Hurricanes have traded their first round draft pick in 2006, Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006, Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007, right wing Jesse Boulerice, center Mike Zigomanis and rights to unsigned draft pick Magnus Kahnberg to the Blues. Carolina acquired the fourth-round pick from Toronto in the draft-day deal that sent Jeff O'Neill to the Maple Leafs, and acquired Chicago's 2007 fourth-round pick in the Dec. 29 trade that sent Radim Vrbata to the Blackhawks.

Clockwork Orange
01-30-2006, 01:44 PM
I like the move by Carolina. They gave up picks & prospects for an aging vet, but I like to see a team not satisfied with just overachieving. They're showing their fans that they're committed to making a serious Cup run this year.

Weight & Sillinger are gone, Tkachuk can't be far behind. He's got a team option on his deal for next year, so any team that takes a chance on him can just decline his option and let him walk this summer if they decide they don't want him.

Jori
01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I like the move by Carolina. They gave up picks & prospects for an aging vet, but I like to see a team not satisfied with just overachieving. They're showing their fans that they're committed to making a serious Cup run this year.

Weight & Sillinger are gone, Tkachuk can't be far behind. He's got a team option on his deal for next year, so any team that takes a chance on him can just decline his option and let him walk this summer if they decide they don't want him.
Rumor has it that Dallas Drake is the next one out the door.

Clockwork Orange
01-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Rumor has it that Dallas Drake is the next one out the door.

Not surprising at all. Any older player they can nab a draft pick or prospect for will likely be dealt.

They've obviously decided that the Phil Kessel sweepstakes are more important than a few extra wins this season. From what I've seen of them, that's not a bad plan.

Breck Bronc
01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I was hoping the Avs would have picked up Mike Sillinger. The forward depth on the team is pretty good, particularly with Richardson holding his own, but it's always nice to have options in case of injury.

I don't know what Lacroix is going to do, if anything. I think the biggest weakness on the team right now is Brisebois now that Aebischer has started to play better. I'd like to see what Kurt Sauer can do on the last defensive pairing with Vaananen. Blake has picked up his play and the defense hasn't been as terrible as it was in December, with the exception of Brisebois.

It's kind of discouraging that the Avs have played so well in January and are in the same spot in the standings as they were at the end of December. Their division and conference are brutal. All 5 teams in the Northwest Division would be in the playoffs right now were they in the Eastern Conference.

As far as Weight going to the Hurricanes, I think it's a great move for Carolina. I'm still kind of shocked they are the best team in the NHL right now. If you would have told me at the beginning of October that Martin Gerber was the starting goalie for the best team in hockey I would have thought you were crazy.

alkemical
01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
someone can take gonchar, please! Will trade for smokes!

Clockwork Orange
01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
someone can take gonchar, please! Will trade for smokes!

I'm sure there are teams who'd like to have Gonchar, but I can't see anyone touching that contract of his. That's life in the new salary capped NHL.

Swedish Extrovert
01-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Minnesota has a chance to bury us in this game. I hope we win so we still stay in the race for the Division title.

Bronx33
01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Minnesota has a chance to bury us in this game. I hope we win so we still stay in the race for the Division title.

Minnesota is getting their a**es handed to them right now by the red wings.

Jens1893
01-31-2006, 10:12 AM
ed jovanoski is out for 6 weeks and will not play in italy

Bronx33
01-31-2006, 03:09 PM
ed jovanoski is out for 6 weeks and will not play in italy

So the canadians stand a chance of winning now.

Swedish Extrovert
01-31-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm debating weather or not to watch the Av's game opposed to the State of the Union tonight. I mean it's the STATE OF THE UNION.... but I'm surely not a Bush supporter, and how often are the Av's on in Florida?

Mtbrncofn
02-01-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm debating weather or not to watch the Av's game opposed to the State of the Union tonight. I mean it's the STATE OF THE UNION.... but I'm surely not a Bush supporter, and how often are the Av's on in Florida?

Dude, you're kiddin me. I see no dilemma here.

Al Wilson
02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
bout time this thread got moved.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-01-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153176&hubname=nhl

Ovechkin- Rookie of the Month and NHL Offensive Player of the Month

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153176&hubname=nhl

Ovechkin- Rookie of the Month and NHL Offensive Player of the Month

that's a shock...He may be the most exciting rookie since Bure or Selanne yet no one in DC gives a crap....It's great to be able to walk up the box office a 1/2 hour before a game and get great seats...

Hercules Rockefeller
02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
It's great to be able to walk up the box office a 1/2 hour before a game and get great seats...

I always enjoyed paying less than face from a scalper instead of going to the box office

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 12:16 PM
I always enjoyed paying less than face from a scalper instead of going to the box office

true but after a while I just move down to better seats....

alkemical
02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Watching ovechkin makes me want malkin!

ludo21
02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Watching ovechkin makes me want malkin!

he is definitely a special player. Fun to watch

alkemical
02-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Well with malkin & crosby we got a good start down the middle. Crosby next year should be better. (Older physically and mentally)

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Well with malkin & crosby we got a good start down the middle. Crosby next year should be better. (Older physically and mentally)

Crosby's problem is that he is a little bitch. He thinks he should get all the calls ala Mario....he has a tough road ahead with that attitude...

alkemical
02-01-2006, 02:43 PM
he does yap a bit, i can't deny that - but he'll learn. he's stopped yappin a good bit for the past few weeks. But he's 18 as well.

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
he does yap a bit, i can't deny that - but he'll learn. he's stopped yappin a good bit for the past few weeks. But he's 18 as well.

kind of....against the rangers he goes into the net (he could have stopped) and the Pens score. The goal is waived off because he was in the net and he starts crying....reminds me a lot of how Lindros was the first year...

alkemical
02-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I give him some slack because he's 18. I never said he was perfect. Shaite, remember i had jagr at onetime too.....

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I give him some slack because he's 18. I never said he was perfect. Shaite, remember i had jagr at onetime too.....

Ture that is why they brought in Jari ??? can't remember his last name...

Bronx33
02-01-2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.beckett.com/iforum/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=993593&forumID=13&catID=3&search=1&searchstring=

This is weird so ill let you guys read it..

Hercules Rockefeller
02-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Saw that over at HF, gonna have to be a lot of picks involved to get that to go down.

Bronx33
02-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Saw that over at HF, gonna have to be a lot of picks involved to get that to go down.

I don't like the fact lappy is included hes a great lockerroom guy as well as on ice.

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 08:02 PM

do you post at HF? I only troll the Rangers board...

once again, Crosby cried like a bitch in his game tonight....The rangers fans started chanting Crosby sucks and Long Live Henrik!...funny....

Bronx33
02-01-2006, 08:15 PM

once again, Crosby cried like a b**** in his game tonight....The rangers fans started chanting Crosby sucks and Long Live Henrik!...funny....

The mods on most of the boards are really picky and give warnings for the stupidest stuff.

Pendejo
02-01-2006, 08:21 PM
This is for the Avs fans of which I'm one. I was perusing hockeyfights.com as I have for some time now...and I wondered if Super Joe had ever had a fight. He did, and he dominated. The proof lies in the video. Enjoy.

http://rapidshare.de/files/10488987/...lmour.wmv.html

Breck Bronc
02-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't trade Brad May for Jose Theodore, let alone Laperriere, Hinote and Fritsche.

Bronx33
02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
This is for the Avs fans of which I'm one. I was perusing hockeyfights.com as I have for some time now...and I wondered if Super Joe had ever had a fight. He did, and he dominated. The proof lies in the video. Enjoy.

Gilmour got shredded.

Bronx33
02-01-2006, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't trade Brad May for Jose Theodore, let alone Laperriere, Hinote and Fritsche.

Theodore does not impress me.

Clockwork Orange
02-01-2006, 08:49 PM

"Killer" gets beat up by a future Lady Byng winner.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-01-2006, 09:25 PM

I lurk, which makes the trading deadline crappy for me since they shut the board down to only registered users and I don't feel like taking the time to register.

24champ
02-01-2006, 09:38 PM

I never liked Gilmour, met Joe Sakic and his wife walking around in Las Vegas before the All-star game a couple years back.

Bronx33
02-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Calgary lost in a shootout vs the jackets tonight...:approve:

Ray Finkle
02-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Theodore does not impress me.

me neither....He had really one great season and has been riding the wave of that....I think Goalies like Kolzig or Manny Fernadez would be better/cheaper options...

Bronx33
02-02-2006, 09:18 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060202_012012_4692

CALGARY (CP) -- The Calgary Flames traded centre Steven Reinprecht and backup goaltender Philippe Sauve to Phoenix for goaltender Brian Boucher and left wing Mike Leclerc on Wednesday.

The Flames announced the deal after their 2-1 loss to Columbus. Reinprecht, the Flames sixth lead scorer, was a healthy scratch for the game.

Reinprecht says he will look back on his time in Calgary fondly.

"I loved it, it's probably one of the best hockey cities in the world," he said. "It's been a blast playing here."

Reinprecht, 29, recorded 10 goals and 19 assists in 52 games this season with the Flames.

Now he's looking towards the future.

"I'm excited, Wayne Gretzky is the best player that ever has played the game," Reinprecht said. "To learn from him is going to be an honour."

The six-foot, 195-pound Edmonton native has played in six NHL seasons with Los Angeles, Colorado and Calgary, recording 69 goals and 122 assists in 321 games.

Sauve's last start in Colorado on Jan. 24 he gave up seven goals on 27 shots in a 7-4 loss. Sutter wasn't happy after that performance and put Sauve on waivers the next day.

"I went through a tough week that's for sure," Sauve said. "The situation here was kind of different. This is going to be good for me."

Sauve, 25, played eight games for Calgary this season, recording a 3-3-0 record, a 3.28 goals against average and an .891 save percentage.

The six-foot, 188-pound netminder is playing in only his second NHL season. He spent the 2003-04 campaign with the Colorado Avalanche, registering a 7-7-3 record, a 3.04 goals against average and an .896 save percentage in 17 games.

"It kind of stuns you at first, but I think I'm walking into a good opportunity," said Sauve. "It's going to be good for me and I'm looking forward to it."

Flames captain Jarome Iginla was also surprised when he heard about the trade.

"It's always a shock, you never expect these things. All the guys, we wish them well. We know they're very good players and great teammates," said Iginla."It's part of hockey and we respect the players that are coming back in the trade."

Leclerc, 29, played in 35 games with the Coyotes this season, collecting nine goals and 12 assists. Iginla is familiar with Leclerc since he has played against him since junior hockey.

"We're around the same age," Iginla said. "He's a good power forward. He's got good hands in front of the net. He scores his share of goals. He can get really hot too which is a good thing."

The six-foot-two left winger has 63 goals and 90 assists in 26 NHL career games with Anaheim and the Coyotes. The Winnipeg native was drafted in the third round, 55th overall, by the Mighty Ducks in the 1995 Entry Draft.

Boucher has a 3-6-0 record, a 3.87 GAA and an .877 save percentage in 11 games this season with Phoenix. The 29-year-old was acquired by the Coyotes in a trade with Philadelphia on June 12, 2002, and has played in three seasons with Phoenix. In his six-year NHL career split between Phoenix and Philadelphia, he has a 74-83-30 record in 199 NHL games.

Ray Finkle
02-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I always liked Reinprecht, I would rather have him then Rucchin on the Rangers...

PatsWin2002
02-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Sorry if this was already posted somewhere, but I just got this link in an email.

Check out this goal:
http://www.break.com/index/amazinggoal.html

Pendejo
02-02-2006, 01:53 PM

Right. It's a stupid trade. Theodore hasn't been decent in a couple of seasons now. Trading away Laperriere and Hinote is basically giving away your grit. You still need chippy players...even in this incarnation of the NHL. Aebischer(sp?) is playing well now. Obviously they need a solid backup, but not at that price. It's too steep...at least for what they'd purportedly be getting back in return.

If Lacroix wants a name goalie...he should throw the bank at the Panthers and try to pry Luongo away. The writing is on the wall in Florida. Roberto wants out. The price would be far greater than Lappy, and Hinote, but you'd be getting a legit stud. Not some guy named after one of the Chipmunks whose family runs a loan-sharking business.

I don't get to see the Avs as much as those of you living in CO, but in my estimation the Avs still need to replace Konowalchuk, and they need a solid defenseman.

Swedish Extrovert
02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Uh oh. Vaananen out with a broken Ankle.

This might suck. I was just thinking though, Vaananen hasn't really performed this year. I never expect him to score, but his defense hasn't been up to par this year. We need to bring in another good d-man now.

Pendejo
02-02-2006, 08:26 PM

This might suck. I was just thinking though, Vaananen hasn't really performed this year. I never expect him to score, but his defense hasn't been up to par this year. We need to bring in another good d-man now.

I'm sure Sauer will get a chance. He has potential, and he's still young.

Clockwork Orange
02-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Anyone pining for Theodore hasn't watched him play this season. Montreal can keep their overrated goaltender and his fat contract.

If the Avs trade Lappy I'm gonna break something valuable. All the guy has done is set career highs in goals, assists & points while being a teriffic penalty killer and dropping the gloves when necessary. Why on earth

24champ
02-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Ottawa's Chara vs Pitt's Recchi in a fight.....who ya got? LOL

Kid A
02-03-2006, 01:02 AM
dang, injuries are killing the Avs. Kono, Turgeon, now Vanannan and Hejduk (though hopeufully not too long). I would just like to see this team healthy.

Breck Bronc
02-03-2006, 01:56 AM
dang, injuries are killing the Avs. Kono, Turgeon, now Vanannan and Hejduk (though hopeufully not too long). I would just like to see this team healthy.The Avs haven't had a lot of small, nagging injuries that take guys out of the lineup for a few games here or there, but they've had two major, season ending injuries to Kono and now Vaananen.

The Turgeon shoulder injury was fairly serious, though the Avs have played well without him and Brad Richardson has done well filling in for Pierre.

Al Wilson
02-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Socal you here for your spanking?

Sens pump some iron :strong:

Bronx33
02-03-2006, 09:24 PM

Vaananen has played great what the heck are you talking about? a stay at home defensemen at +10, try watching a game dude.

ludo21
02-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Sorry if this was already posted somewhere, but I just got this link in an email.

Check out this goal:
http://www.break.com/index/amazinggoal.html

wOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! HOly COw that is a sweet SHOT!!! ^5

phillybroncosnut
02-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, That was amazing. I had the volume down so I didn't hear the description at first.

At first I was thinking it was a penalty shot. If it was, that goal would not have been aloud since he didn't keep his forward progress.
I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening until I turned the sound up.

That is an amazing skill but you'll NEVER see that in an actual game. It takes way to much time to pull off.

The sweetest goal in my book was about 8 years ago I guess, The dude in college who was behind the net, picked the puck up similar to what this guy did, and while still standing behind the net, tucked the puck in the top left corner.

phillybroncosnut
02-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Oh yeah.......

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!

Swedish Extrovert
02-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Vaananen is not having his best season defensivley dude. If you remmemer correctly, I was FOR the trade for him, as I thought he had potential to be one of the best definsive players in the league. I think he took a step back this year. It still sucks to see him go. I dont want to see any trades though, because we need to keep the little firepower we have.

I think Sauer has a TON of definsive potential. The guy is big, strong, and fast. A decent skater too. Will never do anything offensivley though.

SoCalBronco
02-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Socal you here for your spanking?

Sens pump some iron :strong:

Thanks for turning a 2-0 Penguin lead into a 7-2 loss.

For awhile there I was sweating it and was worried that we would blow all the ground we have made up on St. Louis for the best draft position.

Much obliged. ;D

(Yes, its pathetic, but winning is no longer in the team's best interest for the rest of this season since the playoffs are impossible. Its all about draft positioning now.....although I would like to see Crosby continue to rack up points in his race against AO and watching him play has made Center Ice a worthwhile investment despite the losing).

Breck Bronc
02-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Vaananen is not having his best season defensivley dude. If you remmemer correctly, I was FOR the trade for him, as I thought he had potential to be one of the best definsive players in the league. I think he took a step back this year. It still sucks to see him go. I dont want to see any trades though, because we need to keep the little firepower we have.

I think Sauer has a TON of definsive potential. The guy is big, strong, and fast. A decent skater too. Will never do anything offensivley though.
Ossi had the very difficult task of being partnered with Patrice Brisebois. The fact that Vaananen finished at +10 playing with Brise is a testament to his defensive ability.

Ossi had a slow start to the season adjusting to the new rules, but he picked it up the last month and a half. I hope Sauer can play well after sitting out so long.

Breck Bronc
02-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, That was amazing. I had the volume down so I didn't hear the description at first.

At first I was thinking it was a penalty shot. If it was, that goal would not have been aloud since he didn't keep his forward progress.
I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening until I turned the sound up.

That is an amazing skill but you'll NEVER see that in an actual game. It takes way to much time to pull off.

The sweetest goal in my book was about 8 years ago I guess, The dude in college who was behind the net, picked the puck up similar to what this guy did, and while still standing behind the net, tucked the puck in the top left corner.The goal in college you're thinking of was scored by Mike Legg of the University of Michigan in 1996. He actually did it in a NCAA Regional final against Minnesota while the Wolverines were trailing the Gophers 2-1. His goal obviously tied the score at 2 and Michigan would go on to win 4-3 and eventually win the 1996 national championship.

http://www.extremesportclips.com/viewvideo.php?vid=408&sec=mr (What the hell were the Minnesota defenseman doing?)

A similar goal was scored this season by Robert Nilsson of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the New York Islanders AHL affiliate.

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/media/nilsson.wmv

Sidney Crosby scored the same way in the QMJHL in 2003 for Rimouski. Crosby did it when the game was already out of hand and Don Cherry was none to pleased, voicing his displeasure on Coach's Corner.

I can't find a good link to Crosby's goal right now.

24champ
02-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Even though im a Kings fan, I am looking forward to the big game......Red Wings vs Avs. I think its the best rivalry in the NHL. Hope to see some fights today.

Kaylore
02-04-2006, 01:16 AM
General hockey thread
Ahhhh. General hockey is awesome.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-04-2006, 08:37 AM
For awhile there I was sweating it and was worried that we would blow all the ground we have made up on St. Louis for the best draft position.

So the Pens are going to be penalized right since they picked 1st overall last year? I mean it's only fair that if the NHL penalized Washington and Florida twice for winning the lottery the three previous seasons when they did the Crosby-lottery, they'd continue to do that into the foreseeable future, right?

Ray Finkle
02-04-2006, 08:53 AM
So the Pens are going to be penalized right since they picked 1st overall last year? I mean it's only fair that if the NHL penalized Washington and Florida twice for winning the lottery the three previous seasons when they did the Crosby-lottery, they'd continue to do that into the foreseeable future, right?

yeah but the NHL has to help Mario save the franchise....I see Kessler as Crosby II....whinny little bitch that thinks he should have all the calls

Hercules Rockefeller
02-04-2006, 09:01 AM
They need Eric Johnson more than they need Phil Kessel

Ray Finkle
02-04-2006, 09:04 AM
They need Eric Johnson more than they need Phil Kessel

True...I really like the third Staal...I think he will be better then Eric.

Smiling Assassin27
02-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Weren't we comparing shutouts between a certain team in red and some other team from Denver at some point? I noticed Saturday's game passed with nary a whimper from anyone so i thought i'd give the result for anyone who missed it...

Red Wings-3
Avalanche-0

You may now go back to pretending it didn't happen. Thank You.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Hockey Fan

Bronx33
02-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Weren't we comparing shutouts between a certain team in red and some other team from Denver at some point? I noticed Saturday's game passed with nary a whimper from anyone so i thought i'd give the result for anyone who missed it...

Red Wings-3
Avalanche-0

Sincerely,

A Concerned Hockey Fan

Nice job beating the injury depleted avs whom held you scoreless for 2 periods.

Smiling Assassin27
02-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Let the excuses wash over you, Bronx. Sooner or later, they will make you feel better about being shutout....Really.

Bronx33
02-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Let the excuses wash over you, Bronx. Sooner or later, they will make you feel better about being shutout....Really.

Typical arrogant wings fan i see, but hey i never took anything away from your wingies you the one that felt it nesessary to be an a** and make a smart a**ed post about the game a couple days AFTER the game.

Smiling Assassin27
02-06-2006, 09:44 AM
No, you just took a swipe at holding us scoreless for two periods, like it was some great accomplishment of yours or shortcoming of ours. Toss out the 'injury depleted' card instead of just saying, 'Congrats, your team was better on that day'. Whether it was before or after is irrelevant. As a typical Avs fan, you prefer to make excuses and/or make yourself feel better about a shutout by playing the 'arrogant' card which is very puss-like. Besides, the post about the shutout was not aimed at you, it was aimed at some other myopic avs fan who was making the argument that the avs defense was every bit as good as the wings' despite having less shutouts and more goals allowed. But nice of you to try and protect the honor of your team with such moronic, excuse-laden rants that deflect from your team's inability to beat the wings and put the emphasis on some irrelevant and mindless post about arrogance. Weak.

bronco militia
02-06-2006, 10:02 AM
No, you just took a swipe at holding us scoreless for two periods, like it was some great accomplishment of yours or shortcoming of ours. Toss out the 'injury depleted' card instead of just saying, 'Congrats, your team was better on that day'. Whether it was before or after is irrelevant. As a typical Avs fan, you prefer to make excuses and/or make yourself feel better about a shutout by playing the 'arrogant' card which is very puss-like. Besides, the post about the shutout was not aimed at you, it was aimed at some other myopic avs fan who was making the argument that the avs defense was every bit as good as the wings' despite having less shutouts and more goals allowed. But nice of you to try and protect the honor of your team with such moronic, excuse-laden rants that deflect from your team's inability to beat the wings and put the emphasis on some irrelevant and mindless post about arrogance. Weak.

lol...asking Avs fans to kiss Redwing ass....get real

Smiling Assassin27
02-06-2006, 10:10 AM
hell, it ain't kissing ass to say another team was better. ass kissing would be something like: 'man, legace was the second coming of patrick roy out there today and that PK of the Wings is more like a PP for them, they're so stingy!' but hey, the season continues and we'll see you in the first round of the playoffs, IF you make it.

bronco militia
02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
hell, it ain't kissing ass to say another team was better. ass kissing would be something like: 'man, legace was the second coming of patrick roy out there today and that PK of the Wings is more like a PP for them, they're so stingy!' but hey, the season continues and we'll see you in the first round of the playoffs, IF you make it.

your asking too much...enjoy your win and leave it at that

Smiling Assassin27
02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
fair enough.

Mtbrncofn
02-06-2006, 11:05 AM

Congrats, your team was better...again, damnit. It still sucks though and I'd choke if a kudos to the Wings came to mind.

Bronx33
02-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Karma getting the preds, it looks like walker might have broke his wrist vs the stars.

24champ
02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
wait till the playoffs and we will see who is kissing who's ass.;D

Jori
02-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Nothing wrong with admitting that Detroit was the better team on Saturday. Whether the Avs are healthy or not, Detroit is a bad matchup for them due to their current personnel.

Breck Bronc
02-06-2006, 10:47 PM

Red Wings-3
Avalanche-0

Sincerely,

A Concerned Hockey FanThere was a thread on the main board during the game Saturday. You'd like to think we pretended it didn't happen though that's not the case. Colorado fans concede that Detroit is better this year.

Besides, the post about the shutout was not aimed at you, it was aimed at some other myopic avs fan who was making the argument that the avs defense was every bit as good as the wings' despite having less shutouts and more goals allowed.Who said the Avs have a better defense than the Wings? The Avs defense has been mediocre to bellow average all season. Maybe you're talking about the post where you spewed something about the Avs not having many shutouts and I noted the Avs had the same number of shutouts as the Wings (which was true at the time).

The Avs aren't going to win the Cup, that's for sure, but I doubt the Wings will either. Manny Legace isn't good enough to carry a team to the Cup and Detroit isn't as dominant as they were in 1998 with Chris freking Osgood between the pipes.

I have a feeling the Wings will flame out spectacularly like they did in 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003. I've never seen a good team fall apart like the Red Wings have in the playoffs over the years; swept by the Devils, lose 4 straight to the Avs after being up 2 games to none, wimper out in 5 games to the Avs, lose 4 straight to the Kings after being up 2 games to none (including losing a 3-0 lead with six minutes to go in game 4!!!), and swept away by the Ducks. I won't even count the 1994, 1996, and 2004 teams in the choke catergory even though the Wings were heavily favored against San Jose, Colorado, and Calgary, respectively.

I give the Wings all the credit for winning three Cups this era, but man, when they face the slightest bit of adversity in the playoffs they fold like a cheap tent. The one time they didn't was 2002 and it kills me to this day that they came back against us in the Western Conference Finals. All Colorado had to do was win game 6 at home and they'd have the 3-2 Cup advantage and be 4-1 in the playoffs vs Detroit.

24champ
02-06-2006, 11:15 PM
I have a feeling the Wings will flame out spectacularly like they did in 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003. I've never seen a good team fall apart like the Red Wings have in the playoffs over the years; swept by the Devils, lose 4 straight to the Avs after being up 2 games to none, wimper out in 5 games to the Avs, lose 4 straight to the Kings after being up 2 games to none (including losing a 3-0 lead with six minutes to go in game 4!!!), and swept away by the Ducks. I won't even count the 1994, 1996, and 2004 teams in the choke catergory even though the Wings were heavily favored against San Jose, Colorado, and Calgary, respectively.
That ranks right up there in one of the best kings game ever! The best game I watched was when Wayne led us to the stanley cup by winning game 7 in Toronto.

Bronx33
02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153954&hubname=

EWING, N.J. (AP) - Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet is accused of financing a nationwide sports gambling ring in which about a dozen current NHL players placed bets, authorities said Tuesday.

Tocchet, a former NHL star, was served with a criminal complaint Monday and was expected to travel from his Arizona home to answer charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy, state police Col. Rick Fuentes said.

Fuentes said an investigation into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million US, on professional and college sports, mostly football and baseball. He declined to identify the NHL players who reportedly made wagers.

Authorities allege Tocchet and state police Trooper James J. Harney were partners in the operation and that the ex-NHL forward provided the financing.

A message left with the Coyotes' media office in Arizona was not immediately returned. The Coyotes were home Tuesday night against Chicago.

Tocchet, one of three associate coaches on the Coyotes' staff, took over the head coaching duties for 10 days in December while Wayne Gretzky was away to be with his dying mother.

The 41-year-old Tocchet played 18 years with six teams, including three seasons with the Coyotes from 1997-2000. He is one of only two players in NHL history to collect 400 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes during his career.

The 40-year-old Harney was arrested Monday. The eight-year police veteran was charged in an arrest warrant with official misconduct, promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy.

Another man accused of taking bets is James A. Ulmer, 40, who was charged with promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy.

Both men were free on bail. They are expected to be arraigned within two weeks.

Ray Finkle
02-07-2006, 12:28 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153954&hubname=

EWING, N.J. (AP) - Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet is accused of financing a nationwide sports gambling ring in which about a dozen current NHL players placed bets, authorities said Tuesday.

Tocchet, a former NHL star, was served with a criminal complaint Monday and was expected to travel from his Arizona home to answer charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy, state police Col. Rick Fuentes said.

Fuentes said an investigation into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million US, on professional and college sports, mostly football and baseball. He declined to identify the NHL players who reportedly made wagers.

Authorities allege Tocchet and state police Trooper James J. Harney were partners in the operation and that the ex-NHL forward provided the financing.

A message left with the Coyotes' media office in Arizona was not immediately returned. The Coyotes were home Tuesday night against Chicago.

Tocchet, one of three associate coaches on the Coyotes' staff, took over the head coaching duties for 10 days in December while Wayne Gretzky was away to be with his dying mother.

The 41-year-old Tocchet played 18 years with six teams, including three seasons with the Coyotes from 1997-2000. He is one of only two players in NHL history to collect 400 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes during his career.

The 40-year-old Harney was arrested Monday. The eight-year police veteran was charged in an arrest warrant with official misconduct, promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy.

Another man accused of taking bets is James A. Ulmer, 40, who was charged with promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy.

Both men were free on bail. They are expected to be arraigned within two weeks.

jeez, didn't anyone learn from Art Schilster and Pete Rose?

alkemical
02-07-2006, 12:29 PM
I wonder if jose theodore's dad was in that?

Pendejo
02-07-2006, 06:30 PM
I wonder if jose theodore's dad was in that?

Yeah...he provided the muscle to collect on the deadbeats.

This really is a non-story though. At this point another story showing the NHL in a poor light is akin to finding out that the High School slut got knocked up on prom night.

The NHL has done nothing to promote itself under Bettman...so of course the only news is going to be negative.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Might not be Jose's dad, but Janet Jones (The Great One's wife) is said to have made some bets.

Clockwork Orange
02-07-2006, 06:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the players who placed bets names come out.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-07-2006, 06:44 PM
I think it was ESPN that said 11 current players have made bets

ludo21
02-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I think it was ESPN that said 11 current players have made bets

way to blow their chance at getting out of the sports cellar,:clown:

Bronx33
02-07-2006, 10:03 PM
On a good note the avs beat the oiler 5-2 tonight and played 60 full minutes!

Mtbrncofn
02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
In a goal-review fest to boot! Good way to celebrate Aebi's birthday. :thumbs:

Mtbrncofn
02-07-2006, 10:08 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the players who placed bets names come out.

What are the odds Roenick was involved? ;)

Hercules Rockefeller
02-07-2006, 10:11 PM
What are the odds Roenick was involved? ;)

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=219995

Post #6

Bronx33
02-07-2006, 10:14 PM

Post #6

Man these guys get it on a silver platter and just have to have more.

Mtbrncofn
02-07-2006, 10:39 PM

Post #6

Ha! Utterly shocking. I'm not speculating though. ;)

24champ
02-07-2006, 10:43 PM
They did not bet on Hockey is what im hearing so this is a non-story really.

Mtbrncofn
02-07-2006, 10:46 PM

Hmm, didn't a certain Pete Rose say that too?

24champ
02-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Hmm, didn't a certain Pete Rose say that too?
State police Col. Rick Fuentes said an investigation into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million, on professional and college sports, mostly football and basketball.

I dont see hockey mentioned......

"We understand that Mr. Tocchet's conduct in no way involved betting on hockey," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. "And, while betting on football or other sports may be the pervasive issue, it in no way justifies poor judgment or otherwise alleged inappropriate conduct."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5313610

I dont see your facts that NHL games were being bet on, right now its all speculation.

Mtbrncofn
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I never said I had any facts. I just made a comment. Settle down, boy.

Btw, did you think if they were betting on hockey, they were just going to come out and say 'hell yeah I was betting on hockey' ?

And yes....it is speculation.

24champ
02-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I never said I had any facts. I just made a comment. Settle down, boy.

Btw, did you think if they were betting on hockey, they were just going to come out and say 'hell yeah I was betting on hockey' ?

And yes....it is speculation.
i agree its all speculation, but wouldnt it be stupid for the league to come out and say the betting is not on Hockey? If it somehow the betting is traced back to Hockey then the League is screwed. So I dont understand why the league would risk putting themselves in that position.

Garcia Bronco
02-07-2006, 11:43 PM

It is a non-story....but this is low that is Espin...

They called it a "Massive" Widespread" gambling ring that netted....15 seconds of Super Bowl commercial time...wow...big money...2 mill...call the tresury...the deficit is about to be solved. And then Espin tries to drag the Great One and his wife into it when Espin as exactly zero facts. Espin is a complete joke. Then they try to combine it with a story from ten years ago about a mob boss sitting in Lindross's seats in Philly. Espin is trying to dog Hockey's most visiable pro, gambling on basketball...and a 10 year-old non-story to make the NHL look bad and it's totally irresponsible.

SoCalBronco
02-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Espin is a complete joke.

:espnsux:

Garcia Bronco
02-07-2006, 11:51 PM
If I were the NHL...when this is done...I'd sue them for slander and fraud...and anything else I could put in there.

Garcia Bronco
02-07-2006, 11:52 PM
And I don't even like ice strikey,,,I mean hockey.

24champ
02-07-2006, 11:54 PM
It is a non-story....but this is low that is Espin...

They called it a "Massive" Widespread" gambling ring that netted....15 seconds of Super Bowl commercial time...wow...big money...2 mill...call the tresury...the deficit is about to be solved. And then Espin tries to drag the Great One and his wife into it when Espin as exactly zero facts. Espin is a complete joke. Then they try to combine it with a story from ten years ago about a mob boss sitting in Lindross's seats in Philly. Espin is trying to dog Hockey's most visiable pro, gambling on basketball...and a 10 year-old non-story to make the NHL look bad and it's totally irresponsible.
I watched that and thought what a crock story that was. I guess that is ESPN for ya. Cant wait for the NHL network next fall!^5

Bronx33
02-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Avs win 2-1 vs the wild in a great game, another 60 minutes played.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20052006/GS020839.HTM

Bronx33
02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154212&hubname=

TRENTON, N.J. (AP-CP-TSN) - According to The Associated Press today, a person with knowledge of the investigation has told them that Wayne Gretzky was recorded on a wiretap talking to the alleged financier of a gambling ring, discussing how the hockey great's wife could avoid being connected.

Gretzky, coach and part-owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, allegedly can be heard on wiretaps made within the past month talking about his wife with assistant coach Rick Tocchet, the person said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

According to published reports, unnamed law enforcement officials have indicated that Janet Jones, Gretzky’s wife was being investigated for allegedly placing bets.

There is no evidence that Gretzky placed any bets, according to the person.
Related Info

Jones released a statement Thursday night.

Breck Bronc
02-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Avs win 2-1 vs the wild in a great game, another 60 minutes played.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20052006/GS020839.HTMThat was a big win against a hot team and player (Gaborik). I was cursing Sakic and his turnover on our last powerplay, lamenting that he's not scoring big goals anymore. Not seconds later did he get that 2-on-1 and the huge game winning goal. Never count Joey out.

Aebischer was awesome, though I didn't like his reaction towards Richardson after letting in the one goal. I thought he kind of showed Brad up. It was an unlucky play all around for the puck to end up on White's stick where it did; Richardson tried to block the shot himself and accidentaly screened Aebi in the process. It's no big deal now, I guess.

Now we've got to get at least 2 points in the next two games. 3 would be great and 4 would make the playoffs a much easier proposition. Columbus isn't going to be easy to beat the way they're playing, plus we have to play them less than 24 hours after tonight's game (we're due for a back-to-back game after playing a bunch of teams that had to play the night before Colorado). And we all know what Detroit's done to the Avs this season.

-Slap-
02-09-2006, 10:13 PM
The media jackals are making me sick with their coverage of this supposedly huge bookmaking operation - that was only writing about 30 tickets a day.

Bronx33
02-09-2006, 10:14 PM
That was a big win against a hot team and player (Gaborik). I was cursing Sakic and his turnover on our last powerplay, lamenting that he's not scoring big goals anymore. Not seconds later did he get that 2-on-1 and the huge game winning goal. Never count Joey out.

Aebischer was awesome, though I didn't like his reaction towards Richardson after letting in the one goal. I thought he kind of showed Brad up. It was an unlucky play all around for the puck to end up on White's stick where it did; Richardson tried to block the shot himself and accidentaly screened Aebi in the process. It's no big deal now, I guess.

Now we've got to get at least 2 points in the next two games. 3 would be great and 4 would make the playoffs a much easier proposition. Columbus isn't going to be easy to beat the way they're playing, plus we have to play them less than 24 hours after tonight's game (we're due for a back-to-back game after playing a bunch of teams that had to play the night before Colorado). And we all know what Detroit's done to the Avs this season.

Man one other thing that bothering me is fricken face offs we won 18 out of 58 thats aweful!

Bronx33
02-09-2006, 10:15 PM
The media jackals are making me sick with their coverage of this supposedly huge bookmaking operation - that was only writing about 30 tickets a day.

They don't care if their own mothers were involved they would sell em right down the river to make the story.

-Slap-
02-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Gee, who knew that people wagered on the NFL?

Breck Bronc
02-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Man one other thing that bothering me is fricken face offs we won 18 out of 58 thats aweful!That problem has to be rectified by Lacroix. Mike Sillinger was there for the taking and Nashville beat us to the punch.

Clockwork Orange
02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
That problem has to be rectified by Lacroix. Mike Sillinger was there for the taking and Nashville beat us to the punch.

If Lacroix deals away any prospects for quick fixes I'm gonna be furious.

Breck Bronc
02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
If Lacroix deals away any prospects for quick fixes I'm gonna be furious.I don't want him to trade Stastny/Stoa/Fritsche/Durand/Boychuk/Hensick and defintiely not Wolski, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade a Parshin or Videll to help this year's team.

Bronx33
02-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't want him to trade Stastny/Stoa/Fritsche/Durand/Boychuk/Hensick and defintiely not Wolski, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade a Parshin or Videll to help this year's team.

Stoa is going to be our future power forward......you heard it here first!

Clockwork Orange
02-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Anybody got a couple of bucks to put on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Slightly-Used-Washed-up-Habs-Goalie-Jose-Theodore_W0QQitemZ7216762273QQcategoryZ79765QQssPa geName

:laugh:

Clockwork Orange
02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Marek Svatos ties the NHL record for game winning goals by a rookie with his 9th of the season (32 goals overall). Steve Larmer scored 9 GWG back in 82-83.

Alexander Ovechkin tied the Caps franchise record for points by a rookie with his 67th point of the season.

SoCalBronco
02-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Crosby with a goal and an assist in a 4-2 at Carolina.

Clockwork Orange
02-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Crosby with a goal and an assist in a 4-2 at Carolina.

Good night all around for the kids. :)

Hercules Rockefeller
02-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Ovechkin added an assist so he's got 68 points in 54 games

Mtbrncofn
02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Hope the Blake strain isn't serious.

Bronx33
02-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Hope the Blake strain isn't serious.

Ditto we can't afford any more hits on the D line.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-11-2006, 03:06 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154477&hubname=

On less goalie on the market. Caps extend Olie for 2 more years.

Pendejo
02-11-2006, 04:01 PM
That problem has to be rectified by Lacroix. Mike Sillinger was there for the taking and Nashville beat us to the punch.

It'd be nice if they won more face offs, but you can win the cup being average in that aspect of the game. I think they need to find a good solid defenseman by the deadline...another forward would be nice...but if Sakic and Hejduk right themselves there's a lot more punch right there. The main thing is getting another steady presence on the D.

Clockwork Orange
02-11-2006, 04:02 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154477&hubname=

On less goalie on the market. Caps extend Olie for 2 more years.

Hopefully that's just the beginning of the Caps opening the checkbook.

Clockwork Orange
02-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Canadiens sign Saku Koivu to a three year extension.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154448&hubname=nhl

Leafs sign Tomas Kaberle to a 5 year extension.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154512&hubname=nhl

Clockwork Orange
02-11-2006, 05:28 PM
There's some bad blood in the Caps/Pens game tonight. I'm liking it.

Bronx33
02-11-2006, 05:39 PM
There's some bad blood in the Caps/Pens game tonight. I'm liking it.

I saw that whitney exchange they looked p****!!

Clockwork Orange
02-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Crosby scores a PPG. 1-0 Pens.