PDA

View Full Version : General Hockey Thread v2.0

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23

Breck Bronc
07-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Just so you Avalanche fans know, Leopold is a great player. I mean...he's on the verge of being an all-star. If you watch him play....he's a fantastic offensive talent, and he's no slouch hitting. You'll like him...Maybe not as much as you liked Blake, but let's be honest here....the guy is 36. Not that many years left in the tank anyways.Our only hope is that three new players thrive in a new environment.

Jose Theodore looked better in the Anaheim series than he did all year in Montreal (which shows how badly the rest of the Avalanche played in getting swept by the Ducks). He needs to play close to his 2001-'02 level for the Avs to have a chance at making the playoffs.

Tyler Arnason is a talented player that has no work ethic. If he does change that part of his game then this will be a good move for the Avalanche. Still, going from Peter Forsberg to Tyler Arnason as your #2 center is as big a downgrade as it gets.

And finally, Jordan Leopold is already a solid player that needs to further increase his game now that he's arguably Colorado's #1 defenseman. If Leo takes the next step then at least the Avs made one decent move this offseason.

Jori
07-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I've liked Leopold since he was a Gopher, but I'm also realistic in regards to next season. The Avs defense will consist of:

Leopold
Liles
Brisebois
Sauer
Skrastins
Clark
Vaananen

Not exactly earth shattering. I am looking forward to 07-08, when all the dead weight (bonuses plus Brisebois, Turgeon, May) will be off the books; that will open up 8 million dollars of cap space. The Avs only have Hejduk, Skrastins, Clark, Theodore, Wolski, and I believe Richardson on the books for 07-08. That will also be the year in which we start seeing some players from these last few drafts emerge. I really think Paul Stastny will be a member of the Avalanche in 07-08.

While I'm not giving up on 06-07, I also know that this team has many more question marks then last year. This organization has made many mistakes since this new cap system has been implemented. Barring any further mistakes, they'll be able to rebound come 07-08.

Jori
07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Martin Straka re-signs with the Rangers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170333&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Two bloggers claim that Weight has signed with St Louis 2 years/ 7 million. I'm waiting for a source from one of the media sites, but the two bloggers, Hadley and Strickland, have been spot on so far this free agency.

Jori
07-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Bruins sign Shean Donovan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170339&hubname=nhl

There is also a rumor going around that the Avs are talking to Jan Bulis. Bulis is a good friend of Hejduk's and they seemed to have a good on ice chemistry playing in the Czech Rep last year. I'm still trying to find out how they Avs would fit him in their payroll and if they do have any spare cash...why aren't they going after someone like Spacek or Witt.

Pendejo
07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
I've liked Leopold since he was a Gopher, but I'm also realistic in regards to next season. The Avs defense will consist of:

Leopold
Liles
Brisebois
Sauer
Skrastins
Clark
Vaananen

Not exactly earth shattering. I am looking forward to 07-08, when all the dead weight (bonuses plus Brisebois, Turgeon, May) will be off the books; that will open up 8 million dollars of cap space. The Avs only have Hejduk, Skrastins, Clark, Theodore, Wolski, and I believe Richardson on the books for 07-08. That will also be the year in which we start seeing some players from these last few drafts emerge. I really think Paul Stastny will be a member of the Avalanche in 07-08.

While I'm not giving up on 06-07, I also know that this team has many more question marks then last year. This organization has made many mistakes since this new cap system has been implemented. Barring any further mistakes, they'll be able to rebound come 07-08.

Yep. Just like Clockwork has been saying...it's time to take some lumps and start rebuilding. Let the young guys get some ice time, and free up some money for the future.

Also...I remember when Weight was traded last year he pretty much made it clear that he wanted to go back to St. Louis. That one was a no brainer. He had his cake and ate it too.

Jori
07-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Sportsnet is now confirming that Weight has returned to the Blues; 2 years/ 7 million.

Jori
07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Panthers sign Salei to a four year deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170348&hubname=nhl

SoCalBronco
07-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Jori
07-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Hinote signs with St Louis

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Best of luck in St. Louis, Dan The Man. Thanks for everything. :)

BroncoBuff
07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Jeez, Hinote's gone now? Might as well be baseball the way these guys are moving.

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Jeez, Hinote's gone now? Might as well be baseball the way these guys are moving.

Nah, if this was baseball, New York would be buying everyone that they could while Boston whined about it......while buying everyone that they could.

Tredici
07-02-2006, 08:04 PM
BTW - Jori, just to let you know your updates have been much appreciated. Thanks for the good work.

Jori
07-02-2006, 08:35 PM
No problem Tred. The hockey off-season can just be as exciting as the in-season. I think now with the big named UFAs off the board, we'll start seeing some trades. I bet everybody is waiting for the Pronger trade before we see some more movement.

I just found out some more detail about Hinote's contract; he signed for 3 years @ 1 million. I think it's fairly obvious why he's no longer in an Avs uniform.

Just so you know, this signing hasn't yet been reported on any of the major media sites. The story comes from www.hadleyonsports.com (http://www.hadleyonsports.com).

This guy has predicted all the Blues signings correctly hours before they have reached TSN, Sportsnet, etc. Basically, he's the anti-Eklund :giggle:

In all seriousness, I consider Hadley to be legitimate. I'll certainly miss Hinote. It certainly has been a whirlwind 13 months for this franchise.

Jori
07-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Apparently the Detroit Red Wings will have press conference tomorrow at 1:00 PM EST; speculation is that Steve Yzerman will retire

Killericon
07-02-2006, 08:40 PM

Leopold
Liles
Brisebois
Sauer
Skrastins
Clark
Vaananen

Leopold was one of the Flames' top two defenders during our cup run....It's not as bad as you think.

BTW - Jori, just to let you know your updates have been much appreciated. Thanks for the good work.

Agreed. I'm not even checking any other news source...I go straight here.

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Leopold was one of the Flames' top two defenders during our cup run....It's not as bad as you think.

No one thinks that Leopold is a bum, but he's a downgrade from Rob Blake. We spent this whole offseason talking about how the defense needed to be improved and they managed to actually take a step back.

This Avs team won't be terrible, but they'll struggle to make the playoffs in the ultra competitive Western Conference unless somehow Theowhore rediscovers his 2002 form (not holding my breath on that one).

I'd just prefer that if they're going to be mediocre, go the full nine and just be really bad for a year. The draft picks they get out of it would be well worth it.

Jori
07-02-2006, 08:46 PM
There's some talent, but the group as a whole is soft. Besides, Quenneville will use Breezeby as a number one defenseman; I just know it. Everytime I'll see Brisebois on the ice this year in an Avs sweater, I'll be reminded of Game 3 against the Ducks.

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Everytime I'll see Brisebois on the ice this year in an Avs sweater, I'll be reminded of Game 3 against the Ducks.

[Mike Evans]But he's a nice guy. I'm not gonna rip him because I've met him and he's a nice guy.[/Mike Evans]

Jori
07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
No one thinks that Leopold is a bum, but he's a downgrade from Rob Blake. We spent this whole offseason talking about how the defense needed to be improved and they managed to actually take a step back.

This Avs team won't be terrible, but they'll struggle to make the playoffs in the ultra competitive Western Conference unless somehow Theowhore rediscovers his 2002 form (not holding my breath on that one).

I'd just prefer that if they're going to be mediocre, go the full nine and just be really bad for a year. The draft picks they get out of it would be well worth it.
I can see the Avs being somewhere between 7-10 in the west this year. I like their chances better if Theodore plays well, Hejduk rebounds from a subpar year and if Quenneville can resist the urge of over playing Breezeby.

Jori
07-02-2006, 08:50 PM
[Mike Evans]But he's a nice guy. I'm not gonna rip him because I've met him and he's a nice guy.[/Mike Evans]
ROFL!

Tredici
07-02-2006, 08:50 PM
I'll be reminded of Game 3 against the Ducks.

Well, I saw Joey out there in the East Parking Lot. I really thought I could pass it through the entire Duck team standing in front of our net.

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Hinote signs with St Louis

:tearhair: Goddamn, that sucks ass. That's where another guy similar to Hinote went too, Podein. I always liked him too.

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Besides, Quenneville will use Breezeby as a number one defenseman; I just know it.

Good Lord, I'll be a raging alcoholic 2 weeks into the season.

Killericon
07-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Yea....Then again, someone needs to man the basement of the Northwest for us....Say Hi to the Wild while you're down there, will you guys?

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Yea....Then again, someone needs to man the basement of the Northwest for us....Say Hi to the Wild while you're down there, will you guys?

Ahahaahahaha. 4321~

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 09:26 PM

No need, you guys got to say hi to them yourselves when you joined them on the golf course after the first round of the playoffs.

24champ
07-02-2006, 10:02 PM
If that is our only problem, then we are very set. The youngins will be a year more mature and Andy McDonald on the team next year, I see a very good future. Good luck with Kurri and Gretz. Felix the Cat should be available also.
Screw Felix the cat, I want Hrudey.!Booya!

Seriously *taking off Kings homer glasses* Anaheim and San Jose have all the ingredients to make a cup run this year. I just wondering if the Ducks will move Giggy? They already have that young russian goalie who was impressive in the playoffs.

Jori
07-02-2006, 10:09 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Giguere is moved. Toronto, Tampa Bay and Ottawa have all filled goaltending needs. Detroit is still a posibility, but the market isn't as good for Giguere and Nabokov as it was a few days ago.

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2006, 10:25 PM
So why is Hinote such a hit with the ladies? I never knew that. I always liked him just cause he was a yapper and a scrapper.

challenger84
07-02-2006, 10:46 PM

Say hi to the other teams that lost in the first round, and don't have two Stanley Cup wins, will ya? Idiot sack of crap.

Breck Bronc
07-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Sakic was the only player left from the 1996 Cup team last season and now he and Hejduk are the only players left from the 2001 Cup team. Gone are Forsberg, Foote, Blake, Tanguay, and Hinote. Vive La Salary Cap!!!

Tredici
07-03-2006, 07:37 AM
So why is Hinote such a hit with the ladies? I never knew that. I always liked him just cause he was a yapper and a scrapper.

Ummm... have you seen him without the helmet?

bronco militia
07-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Ummm... have you seen him without the helmet?

yes....is'nt he gay?:giggle:

Tredici
07-03-2006, 08:06 AM
yes....is'nt he gay?:giggle:

Most West Point grads are, right?

Jori
07-03-2006, 08:35 AM
The Hinote signing was reported in the Denver Post this morning and is now on TSN and Sportsnet.

Steve Yzerman is retiring according to TSN. Despite the rivalry, one of the great true class acts in NHL history. Best of luck to Stevie Y!

A big rumor going around has Chris Pronger heading to Anaheim. The Ducks certainly have the players to pull it off. Can you imagine Pronger and Neidermayer on the same team? Wow. The Ducks have been very quiet, so it wouldn't surprise me to see this go down.

Bronx33
07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
The Hinote signing was reported in the Denver Post this morning and is now on TSN and Sportsnet.

Steve Yzerman is retiring according to TSN. Despite the rivalry, one of the great true class acts in NHL history. Best of luck to Stevie Y!

A big rumor going around has Chris Pronger heading to Anaheim. The Ducks certainly have the players to pull it off. Can you imagine Pronger and Neidermayer on the same team? Wow. The Ducks have been very quiet, so it wouldn't surprise me to see this go down.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060703_085922_940

The only wing i ever liked.....;D

Jori
07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I posted the Arnason signing on Saturday, you'll probably have to look back a few pages to find the discussion.

New Jersey locks up Colin White to a six year/ 18 million dollar deal

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMzMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5NTY3MjMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

Expect the Devils to be active this summer. They have dead money tied up in Malakhov and Mogilny at around 7 million. They currently stand at 41 million, with Gomez and Gionta, amoung others, left to sign. Gomez may be considering a one-year deal in order to become a UFA next summer.

Bronx33
07-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Yep. Just like Clockwork has been saying...it's time to take some lumps and start rebuilding. Let the young guys get some ice time, and free up some money for the future.

Also...I remember when Weight was traded last year he pretty much made it clear that he wanted to go back to St. Louis. That one was a no brainer. He had his cake and ate it too.

Double yep, the time had to come sometime.

Jori
07-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Pronger to Anaheim is official!

Oilers receive Joffrey Lupul (local Edmonton kid), a non roster player and some conditional high end draft picks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170400&hubname=nhl

Bronx33
07-03-2006, 09:15 AM
It's official pronger to duckville...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170400&hubname=nhl

Bronx33
07-03-2006, 09:17 AM
your too damn fast jori..:rofl:

bronco militia
07-03-2006, 09:22 AM
holly crap about Pronger!

and props to Steve Y...the only Wing that was impossible to hate.

bronco militia
07-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Most West Point grads are, right?

probably not....just ignore my typical male response towards a man that's better looking than me.

Jori
07-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Pens sign Mark Eaton; two years/ 3.2 million

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1933.0.php

Nuggets4
07-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Good Lord, I'll be a raging alcoholic 2 weeks into the season.

You don't own a cat, do you?

re: The Pronger deal -- Anyone know what the draft picks are? Because right now it looks like Edmonton got hosed.

Tredici
07-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Pronger to Anaheim is official!

Oilers receive Joffrey Lupul (local Edmonton kid), a non roster player and some conditional high end draft picks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170400&hubname=nhl

Lupul. That's the guy that scored FOUR goals on the official bounced out in four concerning the 2006 Avs playoffs.

Jori
07-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Nothing official yet, but some radio stations in Canada are reporting that Edmonton received the following:

Lupul
Smid
1st round pick 2007
2nd round pick 2007
*1st round pick 2008 (If Anaheim goes to final)

Clearly this hurts Edmonton for 06-07; they pretty much are in the same boat as the Avs right now. However, this could turn out to be very fruitful in the future.

Jori
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Here is the official trade according to TSN/Oilers website:

"The Edmonton Oilers have acquired right wing Joffrey Lupul and defenceman Ladislav Smid from the Anaheim Ducks, along with Anaheim’s first round draft choice in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, a conditional first round draft choice and their second round draft choice in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for defenceman Chris Pronger."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170401&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-03-2006, 10:47 AM
San Jose nabs Mike Grier; 3 years @ 1.75 million

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/207631.html

SoCalBronco
07-03-2006, 10:51 AM
The Ducks are going to win it. Neidermayer AND Pronger? That's not fair.

Great, I am going to have to deal with bandwagon southern california fans........again.

Jori
07-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Penguins add Andre Savard to their coaching staff.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170395&hubname=nhl

SoCalBronco
07-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Pens sign Mark Eaton; two years/ 3.2 million

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1933.0.php

Ok, thats solid. We needed some fairly young defensive defensemen and the salary isnt bad. Still a long way to go, Ray.

BTW, thanks Jori, and CO for all these updates.

broncocalijohn
07-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Before joining the Panthers, Salei was the longest tenured Anaheim player and held the franchise record for most games played by a Ducks defenseman. Salei was originally drafted by Anaheim with their first choice (ninth overall) in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.

Getting Pronger is huge but giving up Lupul is tough. Avs fans knows what he did to them in the playoffs and is so young and talented. Oilers made a surprise run this year and will have so many great players (IMO) from the Ducks now and a few years. Pronger will only add to the defense but i hope losing Joffrey will not have a big effect on scoring. Move over SJ, THe Ducks are coming and stopping by Arcadia for a bandwagon BBQ at SoCal's house.

This totally sucks puck. Salei will be missed bigtime. Maybe he doesnt like the new unis. Here comes the youth for the Ducks!

broncocalijohn
07-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Screw Felix the cat, I want Hrudey.!Booya!

Seriously *taking off Kings homer glasses* Anaheim and San Jose have all the ingredients to make a cup run this year. I just wondering if the Ducks will move Giggy? They already have that young russian goalie who was impressive in the playoffs.

We moved Gerber out after the Giggy run so why not. We lost Ruslan so I am not sure if we are looking for replacements or using the money that resigned Selanne and McDonald. I dont mind having two great goalies but it might be a waste of space.

Jori
07-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Before joining the Panthers, Salei was the longest tenured Anaheim player and held the franchise record for most games played by a Ducks defenseman. Salei was originally drafted by Anaheim with their first choice (ninth overall) in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.

This totally sucks puck. He will be missed bigtime. Maybe he doesnt like the new unis. Here comes the youth for the Ducks!
You do realize that the Ducks just traded for Chris Pronger right? You realize that your team now has two of the top five defensemen in the NHL right? You should be doing cartwheels right now!

alkemical
07-03-2006, 11:31 AM
You do realize that the Ducks just traded for Chris Pronger right? You realize that your team now has two of the top five defensemen in the NHL right? You should be doing cartwheels right now!

the way PHX is stocking up on Dmen, i think they plan on making the playoffs via ties & shutouts.

24champ
07-03-2006, 11:33 AM
We moved Gerber out after the Giggy run so why not. We lost Ruslan so I am not sure if we are looking for replacements or using the money that resigned Selanne and McDonald. I dont mind having two great goalies but it might be a waste of space.
Ruslan Salei was the only player on the Ducks that I liked becuase I watched him before he made it into the NHL. When he played for the Las Vegas Thunder he was very good so Im not suprised he has stayed in the NHL this long. Good news is there is no one I like on the Ducks! ;D

Good Pickup with Pronger, I guess that was a counter move for the Kings getting Blake. :rofl:

Killericon
07-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Say hi to the other teams that lost in the first round, and don't have two Stanley Cup wins, will ya? Idiot sack of crap.
I was being lighthearted....my god people.

Oh, and Anaheim owns all of our souls anyways....it's not as if it matters.

Jori
07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Rangers sign Aaron Ward

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170408&hubname=nhl

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Sens re-sign Spezza to a 2 year deal. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170413&hubname=)

Also, the rumor right now is that Brendan Shanahan could be headed to Boston.

Jori
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Thrashers sign Steve Rucchin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170416&hubname=

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 04:23 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyDetroitImages/yzerman_97cup.jpg

Heart. Class. Leader. Champion.

All the best in your post-hockey life Stevie Y. :)

Breck Bronc
07-03-2006, 04:28 PM
I think Edmonton did reasonably well in the return for Pronger considering they had no leverage and had to trade him and his wife out of town.

The Ducks have to be the favorites next season considering they just added Pronger to a young team that made the final four. Burke has done everything right since joining that franchise, as much as I hate him.

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 04:34 PM
I think Edmonton did reasonably well in the return for Pronger considering they had no leverage and had to trade him and his wife out of town.

Don't tell Oiler fan that. They thought they should have got Lupul, Smid, Niedermayer & 10 1st round picks for Pronger.

Jori
07-03-2006, 04:47 PM

The Ducks have to be the favorites next season considering they just added Pronger to a young team that made the final four. Burke has done everything right since joining that franchise, as much as I hate him.
I agree. Burke is a POS, but this was a really shrewed move. However, I think Edmonton received a very attactive package. It hurts the Oilers in the short term since they lost the big cog on their blue line, but I've heard great things about Smid and we saw what Lupul did to the Avs in the post-season.

13 million may be a lot to tie up into two players, but if they are the caliber of Pronger and Niedermayer, it's well worth it.

Jori
07-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Teppo Numminen re-signs with the Sabres

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170417&hubname=nhl

Islanders sign Brendan Witt to a three year deal

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/archive.asp?id=950

Blues sign Bill Guerin

http://www.stlouisblues.com/index.html

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure I like what the Blues are doing. That franchise is in full on rebuilding mode, yet they're committing $$ to older guys like Weight & Guerin? Do they think they're going to compete for the Cup with these guys? They don't even have a decent starting goaltender.

Seems like they're going the Avs route and throwing a few band aids on things instead of just taking their lumps and committing to a rebuild. I don't like it, but to each their own.

Jori
07-03-2006, 06:38 PM
But the Blues also have to reach the cap floor of 28 million. Right now they have about 14 players signed, but those players are only eating up about 23 million. I'm willing to bet their total payroll will be in the low 30s.

Jori
07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Looks like the Guerin deal is one year, two million. So that gives St Louis 15 players signed at 25 million.

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Fair enough, but why hasn't their chief concern been landing a goaltender?

Christ, some teams never learn.

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 06:55 PM
And what the hell is up with Gabe Gauthier? Did he ever sign with anyone? Did he quit hockey? I haven't heard anything about him in months.

Jori
07-03-2006, 07:01 PM
The Blues may go with Sanford, or explore some trade options.

As for Gauthier, he can sign now that it's after July 1st. I'm guessing he'll hook up with his home town Ducks.

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 07:05 PM
The Blues may go with Sanford, or explore some trade options.

Meh, I'll believe it when I see it. The Blues haven't addressed their goaltending issues since Grant Fuhr retired. They'd have had a championship caliber team back in the late 90's/early 00's had they ever bothered to take care of that minor detail.

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Belfour to Detroit? (http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hearsay/2006/07/03/eagle_landing_in_motown/)

Is Ed Belfour planning on trading in the blue and white of the Leafs for the red and white of the WIngs?

According to the Toronto Sun, former Maple Leafs goaltender Ed Belfour is looking to sign with the Detroit Red Wings in a role that would see him backup starter Chris Osgood.

The paper quoted Belfour's agent Ron Salcer as saying that "Ed's plans are definitely to play goal again in the NHL. He's weighing his options, doing his therapy religiously (from spring back surgery) and making significant progress every day."

Asked if the Leafs' decision to terminate his contract last week would scare other teams away from the 41-year-old, Salcer retorted "it would be hard not to pay attention to Ed Belfour if he's available. He's come back from every kind of adversity."
-------------------

Since when are the Wings planning on going with Osgood as the starter? I thought they were supposed to be in the market for Giguere or Biron?

Tredici
07-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Sens re-sign Spezza to a 2 year deal. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170413&hubname=)

Also, the rumor right now is that Brendan Shanahan could be headed to Boston.

Stevie retires and Shanahan moves on? Wingie fans will join Avs fans in deep, dark, off season depression.

Mtbrncofn
07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Boy, it'll be fun facing the Ducks this year with Pronger AND Niedermayer. :nono: As if they didn't whoop our asses last time.

Come on, if Eddie signs with Detroit, we can all start up the Eddie chants again.

Gosh, there just isn't much to be excited about this offseason for us Avs fans.

Breck Bronc
07-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Stevie retires and Shanahan moves on? Wingie fans will join Avs fans in deep, dark, off season depression.With Osgood as their starter there's a very likely chance that Detroit will join Colorado as a non-playoff team next season. Wouldn't that be something.

BroncoMan4ever
07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Has anyone here been paying attention to the AVS in there offseason?

I am starting to think this is a team that isn't planning on being very competitive next season. First the trade one of there top offensive threats in Alex Tanguay away for a defenseman i never even heard of. Then they let there best defensive weapon sign with LA Kings without even trying to negotiate with him. Then they let one of there top energy players and fan favorites Dan Hinote get signed away by the Blues.

They have done nothing to improve the team, and are working there way towards mediocrity.

Clockwork Orange
07-03-2006, 11:55 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=41101&page=204

Just thought I'd point you in the right direction before this gets merged.

NOLA Bronco
07-04-2006, 12:04 AM
They did have several rookies last year that looked good, including one that will be back from injury. When he left, he was leading all rooks and the team in points I believe. If Theodore can reclaim his status from a few years ago, they will be in fine shape.

Clockwork Orange
07-04-2006, 02:25 AM
If you think the Avs have it bad, I don't think they're even in the worst cap shape in their own division. Check this out.

Luongo $6,750,000.00
Naslund $6,000,000.00
Sedin $3,575,000.00
Sedin $3,575,000.00
Mitchell $3,500,000.00
Ohlund $3,500,000.00
Morrison $3,200,000.00
Cloutier $2,550,000.00
Cooke $1,500,000.00
Salo $1,500,000.00

That's 10 players taking up $35.65 million in cap space. They've got $8.35 million left to fill 13 roster spots. Yikes.

Clockwork Orange
07-04-2006, 03:10 AM
On a related note, Anson Carter likely won't return to Vancouver (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170450&hubname=).

If he leaves, they've lost their 1st & 2nd line RW's.

Jori
07-04-2006, 04:29 AM
Vancouver's defense doesn't have great depth, but I'd take Luongo over Paris Hilton's latest boy toy in a heartbeat.

Bronx33
07-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Vancouver's defense doesn't have great depth, but I'd take Luongo over Paris Hilton's latest boy toy in a heartbeat.

Don't hate him because hes pretty. ;D

Tredici
07-04-2006, 09:22 AM
If you think the Avs have it bad, I don't think they're even in the worst cap shape in their own division. Check this out.

Luongo $6,750,000.00
Naslund $6,000,000.00
Sedin $3,575,000.00
Sedin $3,575,000.00
Mitchell $3,500,000.00
Ohlund $3,500,000.00
Morrison $3,200,000.00
Cloutier $2,550,000.00
Cooke $1,500,000.00
Salo $1,500,000.00

That's 10 players taking up $35.65 million in cap space. They've got $8.35 million left to fill 13 roster spots. Yikes.

My. So many elite players. Hope they all keep their heads up.

Jori
07-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Lightning sign Marc Denis to a 3 year/ 8.6 million deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170478&hubname=

Jori
07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Oilers sign Marty Reasoner

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/news/index.php?id=665

truthsayer
07-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Has anyone here been paying attention to the AVS in there offseason?

I am starting to think this is a team that isn't planning on being very competitive next season. First the trade one of there top offensive threats in Alex Tanguay away for a defenseman i never even heard of. Then they let there best defensive weapon sign with LA Kings without even trying to negotiate with him. Then they let one of there top energy players and fan favorites Dan Hinote get signed away by the Blues.

They have done nothing to improve the team, and are working there way towards mediocrity.

Shut the **** up. You clearly know nothing about hockey.

Jori
07-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Thrashers sign Freddie Brathwaite, Jason Krog, and Darren Haydar.

http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_4009714

Islanders sign Andy Hilbert--per Sportsnet

Penguins sign Jarkko Ruutu

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1935.0.php

Jori
07-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Kings sign Brian Willsie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170486&hubname=nhl

Clockwork Orange
07-04-2006, 12:47 PM
The Canchokes have rid themselves of Burke, Crawford, Bertuzzi, May and now Ruutu.

I still hate them. :moody:

24champ
07-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Kings sign Brian Willsie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170486&hubname=nhl
He will add some depth to the third/fourth line, good character guy from what I read. Wonder what Herc has to say about him, I know he played with AO so I wonder if thats where he got his points from???

24champ
07-04-2006, 01:03 PM
yeah deleted my original post jori, your so quick with all these updates! :wave:

Jori
07-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Lightning sign RW Norm Milley; one year/ 450k--per Sportsnet

Jori
07-04-2006, 01:04 PM
yeah deleted my original post jori, your so quick with all these updates! :wave:
;D

Jori
07-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Laffs sign G Andrew Raycroft; 3 years/ 6 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170488&hubname=nhl

Clockwork Orange
07-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Roenick is headed back to Phoenix. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170489&hubname=)

So much for playing in Canada, eh Hollywood?

24champ
07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Good move by the Pens signing Ruutu, if anyone lays a finger on Crosby they are pretty much going to get the crap kicked out of them. I like the signing, reminds me why the oilers/kings got Marty Mcsorley.

Jori
07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Didn't you know that Phoenix was actually in Manitoba? ;D

Clockwork Orange
07-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Didn't you know that Phoenix was actually in Manitoba? ;D

I guess it would be too far of a commute from Canada for JR to get down to California so that he could guest host The Worst Damn Sports Show anyway.

WABronco
07-04-2006, 01:17 PM
The Canchokes have rid themselves of Burke, Crawford, Bertuzzi, May and now Ruutu.

I still hate them. :moody:
haha...Ruutu is hilarious.

Clockwork Orange
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
haha...Ruutu is hilarious.

He's a dirty little prick. I hope he gets taken off the ice with his head taped to a stretcher some day.

24champ
07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Roenick is headed back to Phoenix. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170489&hubname=)

Screw that a-hole.... ~Popps~

WABronco
07-04-2006, 01:22 PM
He's a dirty little prick. I hope he gets taken off the ice with his head taped to a stretcher some day.
Well yea...every team has a pest though.

Haven't you seen that clip where Dion Phaneuf drops the gloves and Ruutu just trips him and then skates off? That was hilarious...

24champ
07-04-2006, 01:25 PM

Haven't you seen that clip where Dion Phaneuf drops the gloves and Ruutu just trips him and then skates off? That was hilarious...
I thought Dion fell over his own stick? that was hilarious.LOL

here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc2p8UCIuks&search=Dion%20Phaneuf%20

Clockwork Orange
07-04-2006, 01:26 PM

Yes, but I've also seen too many instances of Ruutu throwing knee on knee hits, hitting people from behind, spearing and plenty of other dangerous acts. There's a fine line between being a pest and being dirty. Ruutu crossed that line a long time ago and ventured into Ulf Samuelsson/Claude Lemieux territory.

WABronco
07-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Yes, but I've also seen too many instances of Ruutu throwing knee on knee hits, hitting people from behind, spearing and plenty of other dangerous acts. There's a fine line between being a pest and being dirty. Ruutu crossed that line a long time ago and ventured into Ulf Samuelsson/Claude Lemieux territory.
Yea...I know. He's a funny douchebag then...

SoCalBronco
07-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Avalanche 2006 draft review

Written by Courtney Wagner on 07/04/2006

The Colorado Avalanche were in need of power and offense up front as well as solid blue line prospects. They fulfilled these needs with six picks in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. The Avs selected two Canadian players and four from the U.S., three of whom are U.S. national team development program prospects. Their selections included three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender.
Chris Stewart, RW

1st Round, (18th overall), 6'1 228 lbs., Kingston (OHL)

A power forward was high on the list of needs for the Colorado Avalanche and they fulfilled that need by selecting Kingston Frontenac Chris Stewart. A Toronto native, Stewart is the younger brother to Florida Panthers prospect and World Junior gold medalist for Canada in 2005, Anthony Stewart.

The younger Stewart has come a long way in the last few years. After playing in his older brother's shadow for years, Chris quit hockey in 2003-04 to play football. But he couldn't stay away from hockey and returned to the game the following year as a walk-on with Kingston, something his brother Anthony helped him with.

"My brother got me a tryout in Kingston and everything worked out for the best," he said at the draft. "If he can get me a tryout he must have somewhat a confidence in me because he didn't want to embarrass himself. He had the confidence in me and he is my mentor and he is my best friend in life -- so I just have to thank him for that."

Labeled mediocre by some, Chris proved he was anything but. In his first season with the Frontenacs, he put up respectable numbers with 18 goals and 30 points in 64 games. He said his role on the team gradually became more important.

"I started off as a fourth-line energy guy and as I started to slim down, I lost about 10, 15 pounds, I started getting more confidence and more ice time and I started to produce."

In 2005-06, his offense improved and so did his draft stock. He was second on the team in scoring, goals, assists and penalty minutes. In 62 contests he had 37 goals, 50 assists, 87 points and 118 penalty minutes. No longer just Anthony Stewart's brother, Chris had made a name for himself. Touted for a great work ethic, good hands and size, and the willingness to play physical, Chris came into his own in 2005-06. His hard work did not go unnoticed, he was named an OHL Eastern Conference All-Star and named to Team Cherry for the 2006 CHL/NHL Top Prospects game. Being drafted in the first-round was just the icing on the cake for Chris. "I can't even explain how I feel right now. I just feel amazing and excited for camp to come in September," he says.

Another thing Chris is looking forward to is getting the shot to play alongside veteran Joe Sakic. “Oh man, it would be amazing (laughs). He is one of my idols and a Canadian idol growing up and stuff like that. He has the best shot I have ever seen, so it would be great to play with him.”

Unlike his brother, Chris had more to prove and worked hard to get drafted in the first round. This drive and display of character got him this far and should propel him to greater heights in the next few years, but he knows there is still a lot of work to be done. "You have to give yourself a pat on the back, but you just have to know how hard you have to work from now on to get in the lineup, so it's all just a stepping stone."

Nigel Williams, D

2nd Round, (51st overall), 6'4 226 lbs., (USNTDP)

Possibly one of the biggest surprises at the draft was that Nigel Williams was still available when Colorado chose him 51st overall in the second round. The defenseman, who has committed to play for the University of Wisconsin in 2006-07, was a projected first-round pick by many. His stock may have dropped due to the lack of certainty in his development as a player.

But Williams isn't concerned with how high he was selected.

“I’m not really worried about where I get drafted," he said that day. "This next couple of years I am going to prove myself, this has nothing to do with how somebody’s going to do in the NHL or anything like that. If anything, it’s driving me right now, it’s going to drive me to be a better player. When I'm in the weight room gritting my teeth I’m going to know why. First round, screw that, I am going to grit down harder, I’m going to get an extra squat in there. So I think, if anything, it’s helping me.”

Williams has good size and work ethic and possesses strong puckhandling and skating skills. If he develops into a strong two-way defenseman, the Avalanche may have gotten away with a steal. In 2004-05, Williams played for Team Illinois in the Midwest Elite Hockey League where he had 14 goals and 32 points in 60 games. In 2005-06 he played with the U.S. under-18 team and notched six goals, 15 points and 59 penalty minutes in 56 games.

Williams plans on continuing to work hard in order to reach greater heights in hockey. “I’m just going to try to get all-around better. I am going to hit the weights a lot harder; I’m just going to pretty much work as hard as I can, at everything that I can, just to be the best that I can,” he says.

With the departure of veteran blueliner Rob Blake to the Los Angeles Kings, Colorado will benefit from a prospect who can play strong in both ends and Williams could be a strong defender for the Avs in years to come, something he is excited about. "I love everything that has to do with the Avalanche, I’ve watched them since I was little ... I’m just glad to be with Colorado.”

Codey Burki, C

2nd Round, (59th overall), 6'0 190 lbs., Brandon (WHL)

Colorado picked up a second-round pick in the trade that saw Alex Tanguay go to the Calgary Flames for Jordan Leopold. With that selection the Avs picked up Codey Burki out of Brandon in the WHL.

In 2004-05 Burki played alongside solid NHL prospects and three of the top four point-getters in the WHL that season: Eric Fehr (Washington), Ryan Stone (Pittsburgh) and Tim Konsorada (Columbus). Burki became a leader for the Wheat Kings in 2005-06 with these guys gone and he excelled. He led the team in scoring and posted WHL career highs in games played (70), goals (27), assists (34), points (61), and penalty minutes (69).

His progress did not go unnoticed. His strong play garnered him an invite to the 2006 CHL/NHL Top Prospects game and he did not disappoint. He scored the game-winner for Team Orr in a 7-2 win and was named player-of-the-game for his efforts.

Burki has good skills and size, but has lacked consistency. His future is promising for the Avs and he could be a strong offensive player for the team in the future, something that will be required once Joe Sakic hangs up the skates.

Michael Carman, C

3rd Round, (81st overall), 6'0 180 lbs., (USNTDP)

Headed to the University of Minnesota this fall, Michael Carman has played the last two seasons in the U.S. national team development program.

In 2005-06 Carman finished third on the team in points with 54 in 60 games including 21 goals and a team-high 102 penalty minutes. He also netted 11 power-play markers. Carman has good hockey sense and will battle aggressively for the puck. A dependable, hard working player, he is strong in both ends and can be used in all game situations.

A reliable player who has made good progression in his hockey career thus far, Carman will continue his development in the NCAA this fall and could be a solid member of the Avalanche in a few years.

Kevin Montgomery, D

4th Round, (110th overall), 6'1 185 lbs., (USNTDP)

In the fourth round, the Avalanche selected Kevin Montgomery with a pick they received from the Edmonton Oilers. A defenseman who has played with the U.S. national team development program for the last two years, Montgomery is headed to Ohio State this fall to play for the Buckeyes. In 2005-06 with the U.S. team, he had six goals, 22 points and 76 penalty minutes in 59 games.

Solid and quick on his skates, Montgomery has strong, accurate passing skills. He makes smart decisions with the puck and is utilized on the power play. A defensive defenseman, he plays a safe game and is not afraid to step in and hit an opposing player. He will continue his development in the NCAA this fall.

Billy Sauer, G

7th Round, (201st overall), 6'2 170 lbs., University of Michigan (NCAA)

The Avalanche traded their fifth- and sixth-round picks and used the seventh-round and last selection to take goaltender Billy Sauer from the University of Michigan.

After playing with the Chicago Steel of the USHL in 2004-05, where he had 12 wins, a 3.05 goals-against average and a .904 save percentage, Sauer played his freshman collegiate season with the Wolverines. In 23 games with the team he had 11 wins, a 3.04 goals-against average, a .898 save percentage and one shutout.

Sauer has solid reflexes and a good glove hand. He has displayed strong athleticism and quickness and has shown a willingness to challenge shooters. He may be considered a steal by some, going in the seventh round, but has a lot of progression to make before he will have a shot at the next level.

Jeff Dahlia, Sean Ruck, Glen Erickson, DJ Powers and Leslie Treff contributed to this article. Copyright 2006 Hockey's Future. Do not reprint or otherwise duplicate without permission of the editorial staff.

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8929

Tredici
07-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Good move by the Pens signing Ruutu, if anyone lays a finger on Crosby they are pretty much going to get the crap kicked out of them. I like the signing, reminds me why the oilers/kings got Marty Mcsorley.

In the new NHL it's fast skating and open ice designed for Crosby's game. The last thing a kid like Crosby needs is some throwback who becomes a deterrent to his game.

Not much the kid wonder will be doing on the Pen PK while Ruutu sits in the box.

Jori
07-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Stars sign Barnaby; one year, 625k

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170519&hubname=nhl

24champ
07-04-2006, 10:56 PM
In the new NHL it's fast skating and open ice designed for Crosby's game. The last thing a kid like Crosby needs is some throwback who becomes a deterrent to his game.

Not much the kid wonder will be doing on the Pen PK while Ruutu sits in the box.
Its still a contact sport tred. He will bring toughness to the Pens so its a good signing. Teams that think they can shove the Pens around are in for a treat. ;D

SoCalBronco
07-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Its still a contact sport tred. He will bring toughness to the Pens so its a good signing. Teams that think they can shove the Pens around are in for a treat. ;D

I suppose he will help somewhat in that area, although we already had a guy for that in Andre Roy, he was often hurt last season tho. What we really need right now isnt really toughness or anything like that, we need wingers, badly. We have almost virtually nothing at wing.

24champ
07-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I suppose he will help somewhat in that area, although we already had a guy for that in Andre Roy, he was often hurt last season tho. What we really need right now isnt really toughness or anything like that, we need wingers, badly. We have almost virtually nothing at wing.
trade for Simon Gagne...not sure if Philly would trade him to you guys though.

SoCalBronco
07-04-2006, 11:21 PM
trade for Simon Gagne...not sure if Philly would trade him to you guys though.

Eh, it would cost alot in salary and in assets and your right we would never trade with Philly. Shero has made it clear that we arent going to be handing out long deals or large salaries this summer, although he has pointed out repeatedly that we will be doing some trading to address the rest of our needs. We are going to need dominant years from Fleury, Crosby and Malkin to get into the playoffs to make up for the many other problem areas that aren't really going to be satisfactorily addressed this year. The thing is that I am tired of waiting and I don't want to hear about building slowly anymore. Like Bob, we have been living in the basement for several years now and I am running short on patience. I want a playoff berth NOW!!! :) We havent done **** since 2001.

BroncoMan4ever
07-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Shut the **** up. You clearly know nothing about hockey.

Firsr off, Kiss my a$$!

Secondly, since u know so much wat have they done to make the team better and more competitive next year or in seasons after? There only offensive real offensive weapons under contract are Sakic and Hedjuk. Svatos is recovering from injury a nd is a restricted free agent.

The new NHL is becoming about offense not defense, there are only a few defenseman now that are able to keep pace in the newer faster NHL, and Blake was one of the best. Plain and simple they are not even gonna be as descent as they were last season.

And trading one of last seasons best offensive weapons (Tanguay) was an idiotic move, and i don't care what anyone says, because that is true.

Jori
07-05-2006, 07:24 AM
The Avs are in this position because of mistakes they have made since the new CBA was implemented. I think the biggest mistake was giving May, Turgeon and Brisebois two-year deals. Those guys are eating up 4 million of payroll. Another issue were these bonuses that kicked in for Sakic and Blake when the Avs declined their options for 06-07. That was a blunder because the club didn't find out until recently that those bonuses count against the cap. Now the Avs are effectively paying Sakic 8.05 million this season and 2.3 million for Blake who will be playing for the Kings. Had they picked up the options, the cap hit would have been around 12 million for both players, but you would have BOTH players.

I think Tanguay was going to be traded regardless. He reportedly is asking for 5 million per season, which I personally believe he's not worth at this time. You can't disappear in two straight playoff years and expect that kind of cash. You can criticize Hejduk, but Milan is locked into a long-term cap friendly contract.

I think this is a borderline playoff team, but they can make it if certain things go right for them.

I think Wolski is eventually going to make fans forget about Tanguay (perhaps not this season, but eventually). Next summer, the Avs will finally be rid of the bonuses and the contracts of Turgeon, May and Brisebois. They'll have cap room. You'll also start seeing some youngsters from the past few drafts starting to make the club in 07-08. This team is already younger then last year's squad and will continue to get younger within the next few years.

Jori
07-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Tanguay signs with the Flames according to TSN.ca. No word on the dollar amount, or length of contract at this time. If it's a multi-year deal, the conditional second round pick kicks in for the Avs. The Avs would have the option to use that pick in 07 or 08.

alkemical
07-05-2006, 07:44 AM

Considering Brooks and colby armstrong were the only ones to really do that - i'm glad. Oh and that enforcer they got from FLA at the end of last year.

61Vikefan
07-05-2006, 08:23 AM

The Wild had more 1 goal/OT losses than any team in the NHL last season. You should pay attention to what the Wild are doing in the offseason-I expect them to be in 1st place throughout.

Mtbrncofn
07-05-2006, 08:37 AM

I second that. He is a prime POS. I feel for ya, SoCal.

Mtbrncofn
07-05-2006, 08:41 AM
The Wild had more 1 goal/OT losses than any team in the NHL last season. You should pay attention to what the Wild are doing in the offseason-I expect them to be in 1st place throughout.

They've made some improvements, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. Remember, this is just about the toughest division in hockey.

Jori
07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Details of Tanguay's contact:

Year 1: 5 million
Year 2: 5.375 million
Year 3: 5.375 million

That's a 5.25 million cap hit the next three years. So the Avs now have the option of using Calgary's second round pick in 2007 and 2008.

61Vikefan
07-05-2006, 09:29 AM
They've made some improvements, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. Remember, this is just about the toughest division in hockey.
No doubt about that. Nothing against the division, but putting the Wild in was a mistake. I always wish we could resurrect the old Norris Division-Wild, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Blues and Stars would be a perfect division.

Tredici
07-05-2006, 09:54 AM

I know what the sport is.

You still haven't answered what Crosby will be doing during all of Ruutu's penalty minutes.

Jori
07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Flames sign Jeff Friesen; one year, 1.6 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170566&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Stars sign Halpern to a four year deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2509834

Bronx33
07-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Erik Cole with the canes signs...

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/06NHL_freeagent_tracker.php

Bronx33
07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
The Avs are in this position because of mistakes they have made since the new CBA was implemented. I think the biggest mistake was giving May, Turgeon and Brisebois two-year deals. Those guys are eating up 4 million of payroll. Another issue were these bonuses that kicked in for Sakic and Blake when the Avs declined their options for 06-07. That was a blunder because the club didn't find out until recently that those bonuses count against the cap. Now the Avs are effectively paying Sakic 8.05 million this season and 2.3 million for Blake who will be playing for the Kings. Had they picked up the options, the cap hit would have been around 12 million for both players, but you would have BOTH players.

I think Tanguay was going to be traded regardless. He reportedly is asking for 5 million per season, which I personally believe he's not worth at this time. You can't disappear in two straight playoff years and expect that kind of cash. You can criticize Hejduk, but Milan is locked into a long-term cap friendly contract.

I think this is a borderline playoff team, but they can make it if certain things go right for them.

I think Wolski is eventually going to make fans forget about Tanguay (perhaps not this season, but eventually). Next summer, the Avs will finally be rid of the bonuses and the contracts of Turgeon, May and Brisebois. They'll have cap room. You'll also start seeing some youngsters from the past few drafts starting to make the club in 07-08. This team is already younger then last year's squad and will continue to get younger within the next few years.

He truley pissed me off during the playoffs again, lazy penalties and lazy play no way is he worth 5 mil.

Bronx33
07-05-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lea36SU7x00

alkemical
07-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I know what the sport is.

You still haven't answered what Crosby will be doing during all of Ruutu's penalty minutes.

setting up ryan malone for a SH goal.

24champ
07-05-2006, 11:44 AM
setting up ryan malone for a SH goal.
Yup and plus if Ruutu gets in a fight then that sets up 4 on 4, which makes the ice much much more open for Crosby.

24champ
07-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Considering Brooks and colby armstrong were the only ones to really do that - i'm glad. Oh and that enforcer they got from FLA at the end of last year.
Yeah but Ruutu is a freakin pest and Philly fans will hate the guy. I guarantee ruutu will be a fan favorite in Pittsburgh. Plus he will be an asset when it comes to shoot-outs.

alkemical
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm hoping. So far sherro has got some good vets that are realitivly cheap and can fill some voids. I'm hoping the youngsters can really make a step up next season.

Jori
07-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Stars re-sign Steve Ott to a two year deal

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/hockey/stars/stories/070606dnspostarslede.1d3c0aa.html

Jori
07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Sabres sign Jaroslav Spacek to a multi-year deal

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170576&hubname=nhl

Tredici
07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Yup and plus if Ruutu gets in a fight then that sets up 4 on 4, which makes the ice much much more open for Crosby.

Tell ya what. You keep count. How many shorties are scored while he's in the box vs. PP points for the other side. Fair enough?

Jori
07-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Canucks trade G Dan Cloutier to the LA Kings.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170578&hubname=nhl

No word yet on what the Kings sent in return, but if it's more then a 7th round pick...then they got robbed! :giggle:

WABronco
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM

No word yet on what the Kings sent in return, but if it's more then a 7th round pick...then they got robbed! :giggle
DAMN! You are fast on the trigger...

But yea, Nonis has been a magician this offseason. They just cleared a nice chunk of cap space, and whatever they get back is just gravy.

Jori
07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Then again, the Kings could have dumped Sopel or Miller on the Canucks. We'll see...

WABronco
07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Then again, the Kings could have dumped Sopel or Miller on the Canucks. We'll see...
Heh...Brent Sopel. That'd be great...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/bhurley7/s640x480.jpg

24champ
07-05-2006, 01:04 PM

No word yet on what the Kings sent in return, but if it's more then a 7th round pick...then they got robbed! :giggle:
Crrrraaaaaaaapppppp.

WABronco
07-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Crrrraaaaaaaapppppp.
Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

24champ
07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Somone told me we gave up a second round pick.....we got robbed big time.

Jori
07-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Yup, Kings give up their second round pick in 2007 and a conditional pick in 2009. Nonis dumps Cloutier without taking back salary...wow. Giguere needs to get Lombardi on the phone now!

Tredici
07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Yup, Kings give up their second round pick in 2007 and a conditional pick in 2009. Nonis dumps Cloutier without taking back salary...wow. Giguere needs to get Lombardi on the phone now!

Besides Giguere are Aebischer and Lagace still out there? Or did I miss something.

WABronco
07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Holy ****...

24...I'm sorry.

24champ
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
I wouldnt say DL is a bad GM like Giguere is YET, apparently yesterday Shanahan was in LA talking to the Kings management. We need to sign a top-6 forward but trading for Clout pretty much closes the door on that if Shanahan is really asking for 5.5 million.

24champ
07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Holy ****...

24...I'm sorry.
Dont worry I now know what its like to be you in our fantasy baseball league. ;D

So im sorry.

bronco militia
07-05-2006, 01:38 PM
bwhahahaha!! at the queens.

Jori
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Besides Giguere are Aebischer and Lagace still out there? Or did I miss something.
My Giguere reference was to the Avs GM not the goaltender.

Legace is a UFA and still available. I think Aebischer will be traded because he wants to be a #1 goaltender and he wont get that opportunity in Montreal. JS Giguere is signed for this season, but I'm hearing now that the Ducks might want to hang on to him, in case Bryzgalov is just a flash in the pan.

24champ
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FRgjOVIinqA&search=cloutier

Clout vs Salo

Jori
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Wild re-sign Marian Gaborik to a three year deal

http://www.wild.com/team/Press.asp?story_id=4828

WABronco
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Dont worry I now know what its like to be you in our fantasy baseball league. ;D

So im sorry.
Hey fool...last check I was in second place! Watch yo' self!

WABronco
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FRgjOVIinqA&search=cloutier

Clout vs Salo
Yea...he can beat the other goalie's asses.

24champ
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey fool...last check I was in second place! Watch yo' self!
Im not worried WAB....who is front of you btw?:rofl:

WABronco
07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Im not worried WAB....who is front of you btw?:rofl:
...oh, you laugh now.

24champ
07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
...oh, you laugh now.
Like my sig? :yayaya:

Pendejo
07-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Wild re-sign Marian Gaborik to a three year deal

http://www.wild.com/team/Press.asp?story_id=4828

I'm somewhat surprised that Gaborik re-signed. I thought he would have looked to move on to a team with a system more conducive to his tremendous skill level next summer.

WABronco
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Like my sig? :yayaya:
Yea...it's very nice.

From Center Ice! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7BEwvuNBp08&search=lidstrom)

Jori
07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that Gaborik re-signed. I thought he would have looked to move on to a team with a system more conducive to his tremendous skill level next summer.
The Wild GM is smart. He acquired Pavol Demitra a couple of weeks ago from the Kings. Demitra and Gaborik are very close friends.

Tredici
07-05-2006, 03:26 PM
My Giguere reference was to the Avs GM not the goaltender.

Legace is a UFA and still available. I think Aebischer will be traded because he wants to be a #1 goaltender and he wont get that opportunity in Montreal. JS Giguere is signed for this season, but I'm hearing now that the Ducks might want to hang on to him, in case Bryzgalov is just a flash in the pan.

Yeah, I realized that and started to fix it so it made sense, but the phone rang. Anyway, you understood the gist of the question.

I thought Aebi became a FA at the end of the season. Maybe that isn't until the end of next season.

Legace must want too many $$$'s. He's going to get edged out.

24champ
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I wanted Legace for the Kings but he is pricing himself out, he wants somewhere around 4 million. Clearly Clout was the cheaper option with 2.5 million salary.

Jori
07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I realized that and started to fix it so it made sense, but the phone rang. Anyway, you understood the gist of the question.

I thought Aebi became a FA at the end of the season. Maybe that isn't until the end of next season.

Aebi is a RFA.

Jori
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
69 players have filed for arbitration

http://www.nhlpa.com/MediaReleases/Index.asp

Included are two Avs (Liles, McLean). Buffalo had 12 players file...damn.

Tommorow is the deadline in which teams can decide if they want to take a player to arbitration.

Killericon
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Freisen? Why does'nt Sutter get it...we need CENTRES! Not Wingers!

Nice to see Tanguay locked up....he's worth the 5.25 million.

Jori
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Freisen? Why does'nt Sutter get it...we need CENTRES! Not Wingers!

Nice to see Tanguay locked up....he's worth the 5.25 million.
I hope Tanguay does well with the Flames. There is no way the Avs could have afforded that contract and I'm not sure they would have been willing to give him that much coin even if they did have the cap room.

It makes me more appreciative of Hejduk and his willingness to take less money per year, but to a longer deal.

Good luck to Alex, I just hope Iginla is good on faceoffs.

Jori
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Georges Laraque signs with the Yotes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170605&hubname=

Clockwork Orange
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't think Tanguay's worth that much, but that is about market value for him so I think the Flames paid accordingly.

Clockwork Orange
07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Georges Laraque signs with the Yotes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170605&hubname=

Wow. He demanded and got a no trade clause. I didn't think that would happen.

Jori
07-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Flyers sign G Antero Niittymaki to a one year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170592&hubname=nhl

Ducks re-sign Andy McDonald to a 3 year/ 9.9 million dollar deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170595&hubname=nhl

Panthers sign Bryan Allen and Branislav Mezei

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170600&hubname=nhl

Laraque received 2.4 million over two years.

Gaborik received 19 million over three years.

Jori
07-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't think Tanguay's worth that much, but that is about market value for him so I think the Flames paid accordingly.
Agreed. Some of these GMs have doled out crazy money.

Breck Bronc
07-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Nice to see Tanguay locked up....he's worth the 5.25 million.Until March rolls around.

Killericon
07-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Until March rolls around.

The reason I like him so much is because he takes the pressure of off Iginla's back. He can still force coaches to watch out for him in March....more than Amonte anyways.

He's worth it.

Does anyone know if there's a No-trade clause in his contract?

Killericon
07-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Sutter just said on the local news....He's thinking of using Tanguay as a centre.

broncocalijohn
07-05-2006, 07:12 PM

Yes, i put that before the trade and just edited to add the pronger but didnt delete the Suck part. I just wonder what the Pronger rumors of getting out of Edmonton because he is having a love child with a reporter is true. Didnt Derek Lowe of the Dodgers just cheat on his wife for a reporterite last year?

broncocalijohn
07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Thrashers sign Steve Rucchin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170416&hubname=]]

Here is a great former duck. Didnt stick in NY very Long.

SoCalBronco
07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I just wonder what the Pronger rumors of getting out of Edmonton because he is ahving a love child with a reporter is true. Didnt Derek Lowe of the Dodgers just cheat on his wife for a reporterite last year?

Yeah, I was just going to say, maybe Pronger is going to have an affair with some of those Fox Sports West hotties.

broncocalijohn
07-05-2006, 07:20 PM

He talked so much crap on the LA kings ANaheim ducks rivalry like he was
some cheerleader. Too bad he missed so many games to enjoy a few of em.

Jori
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Flyers sign Mark Cullen

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170617&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Senators re-sign Ray Emery; 1 year, 925k

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170611&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-05-2006, 09:48 PM
http://nhl.speedera.net//image-upload/brindamour_scj06_01_194x275.jpg
Rod the Bod

Creepiest photo ever!

Mtbrncofn
07-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Holy crap! Never would have that bod was behind that sweater. It just doesn't match with that face!

Clockwork Orange
07-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Not surprising at all. Brindy's work ethic is legendary.

Mtbrncofn
07-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I've heard that. I guess it's just the face/bod part I was having a hard time with. :)

Clockwork Orange
07-05-2006, 10:11 PM
From that picture he reminds me of Chucky Pancamo (played by real life Hell's Angels leader Chuck Zito) from the HBO show Oz.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/88/Chuck_Zito.jpg/150px-Chuck_Zito.jpg

Jori
07-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I've heard that. I guess it's just the face/bod part I was having a hard time with. :)
:rofl:

SoCalBronco
07-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Article Launched: 07/06/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

colorado avalanche notes
Liles, McLean get set for salary talks
By Adrian Dater
Denver Post Staff Writer

John-Michael Liles and Brett McLean could soon face off against the Avalanche over how much they should be paid.

The players Wednesday elected for salary arbitration. Under terms of the NHL's collective bargaining agreement, they have until July 20 to continue to work out a contract with the Avs; otherwise, their cases will be heard by an arbitrator between that date and Aug. 4 in Toronto.

Both players made the NHL's minimum salary of $450,000 in 2005-06. Liles, a member of the 2006 U.S. Olympic team, scored 49 points (14 goals) in 82 games for the Avs last season.

The Avalanche currently is roughly $7 million under the NHL's salary cap of $44 million, with seven players from last year's roster still unsigned (including unrestricted free agent Jim Dowd). Based on Liles' production last season - in which he was a first-team all-rookie member - he could be awarded as much as $2 million per

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

year on a new contract.
In either case, whichever side prevails in the arbitration hearing - if it goes that far - will be bound by a two-year agreement.

McLean, 27, posted nine goals and 40 points in 82 games last season.

Also unsigned with the Avalanche is Marek Svatos, who tied with Joe Sakic for the team scoring lead last season (32), despite playing 21 fewer games.

Adrian Dater can be reached at 303-820-5454 or adater@denverpost.com.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4016737

Jori
07-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Flames sign G Jamie McLennan; one year, 575k

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060706_090024_5504

alkemical
07-06-2006, 07:21 AM
I miss kovalev.

Jori
07-06-2006, 09:03 AM
North Dakota takes another hit as New Jersey signs G Jordan Parise to a two year deal.

The Lightning have re-signed Ruslan Fedotenko; one year, 1.65 million.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170665&hubname=

Looks like Branko Radivojevic has signed with the Minnesota Wild; one year, 600k. Still looking for a NA source, but this signing comes from a Slovakian website.

alkemical
07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
I liked radivojevic

Jori
07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
The Radivojevic signing is now on the Wild's website.

http://www.wild.com/team/Press.asp?story_id=4829

Jori
07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Flyers re-sign RJ Umberger

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170678&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Blue Jackets sign Ty Conklin and Tomas Kloucek

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170683&hubname=nhl

Oilers sign D Daniel Tjarnqvist

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170682&hubname=nhl

Habs re-sign Mike Ribeiro (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=1304) and defenceman Jean-Philippe Cote (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=2612) to one-year contracts.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170681&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Hurricanes re-sign Glen Wesley

Caps sign D Sasha Pokulok

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/transactions

BroncoBuff
07-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I can see the Avs being somewhere between 7-10 in the west this year. I like their chances better if Theodore plays well, Hejduk rebounds from a subpar year and if Quenneville can resist the urge of over playing Breezeby.
I'm beginning to think Foppa was largely responsible for Milan's Richard Trophy and much of his success. Whatever anybody may think, Forsberg is a living breathing assists machine - and there can be little doubt Hejduk benefitted greatly from that. It would be interseting to chart Hejduk's points and +/- both when Foppa was on the ice with him, and not.

Jori, what do you mean about the "Pronger trade"? Are they trading him? He didn't play all that well in the finals, did he ... but I still think he's a monster.

I hate Brisbois too.

Jori
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm beginning to think Foppa was largely responsible for Milan's Richard Trophy and much of his success. Whatever anybody may think, Forsberg is a living breathing assists machine - and there can be little doubt Hejduk benefitted greatly from that. It would be interseting to chart Hejduk's points and +/- both when Foppa was on the ice with him, and not.

Jori, what do you mean about the "Pronger trade"? Are they trading him? He didn't play all that well in the finals, did he ... but I still think he's a monster.

I hate Brisbois too.
Foppa is an assist king and it would be silly to say that he didn't have an impact on Hejduk's 50 goal campaign, but people forget that Hejduk has a 40 goal season playing with Sakic in 2001. I think he can get back to that level, assuming Quenneville keeps the Brunnette/Sakic/Hejduk line together.

Pronger asked to be traded shortly after the Stanley Cup Finals (some say the request was made earlier, but didn't become public until after the finals). Pronger cited "personal reasons." Pronger has chosen not to get specific, but the two rumors going around were that his wife didn't like living in Edmonton (Pronger's wife is from St Louis) and the crazy one is that he had an affair and got a lady pregnant (the rumor is that the lady is a TSN anchor). Pronger was traded earlier in the week to Anaheim. Ducks now have two of the top five defenders in the NHL.

As for Brisebois, I count the days until he's in another NHL uniform. All I have to say is that at every Avs game I attend next year, he'll be getting the "Skoula" treatment from me.

61Vikefan
07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Don't forget-the WILD signed Marion Gaborik to a 3 year extention. Look out for the Demitra to Gaborik connection this year-will be the most lethal duo in hockey.

Clockwork Orange
07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Don't forget-the WILD signed Marion Gaborik to a 3 year extention. Look out for the Demitra to Gaborik connection this year-will be the most lethal duo in hockey.

Doubtful. They'll have to produce at a hell of a clip to top Thornton to Cheechoo.

alkemical
07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Doubtful. They'll have to produce at a hell of a clip to top Thornton to Cheechoo.

just wait till Crosby and Ovechkin get some help.

Jori
07-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Lightning sign D Doug Janik--Sportsnet

Bruins sign C Mark Mowers--Sportsnet

Hurricanes sign Trevor Letowski; two years, 1.6 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170693&hubname=nhl

Rangers re-sign Martin Straka

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170692&hubname=nhl

Clockwork Orange
07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
just wait till Crosby and Ovechkin get some help.

Imagine if those two played together. It almost happened.

alkemical
07-06-2006, 02:39 PM

I absolutley love the dynamics of AO. I do. I love crosby and can see that at 18 he's got the tools to be great. He can score goals, but he doesn't score 'at will' like AO does.

But in all due honesty, if crosby is the type of guy to put up 1g -3a in big time games i will take it. He got colby armstrong a new contract........ I'm sure some caps made some change off of AO

Clockwork Orange
07-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I absolutley love the dynamics of AO. I do. I love crosby and can see that at 18 he's got the tools to be great. He can score goals, but he doesn't score 'at will' like AO does.

But in all due honesty, if crosby is the type of guy to put up 1g -3a in big time games i will take it. He got colby armstrong a new contract........ I'm sure some caps made some change off of AO

The thing that gets me about Ovechkin is his creativity. How anyone is supposed to scout him is beyond me, he seems to make up moves as he goes along. If Nicklas Backstrom is the kind of playmaker he's touted as being, that's going to be a deadly combination for years to come.

Crosby & Malkin have all the makings of a Sakic & Forsberg center combo. I can't wait to see them in action.

alkemical
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
The thing that gets me about Ovechkin is his creativity. How anyone is supposed to scout him is beyond me, he seems to make up moves as he goes along. If Nicklas Backstrom is the kind of playmaker he's touted as being, that's going to be a deadly combination for years to come.

Crosby & Malkin have all the makings of a Sakic & Forsberg center combo. I can't wait to see them in action.

Malkin should do well - of course we will see - bob grove (pens Q&A) states that the Russian leagues ratified the paperwork - and they are just waiting for the final stamp.....

I'm just glad crosby and AO are in the east. I'm tired of the west and philly gobbling up everyone.

61Vikefan
07-06-2006, 03:01 PM

One of my sons played in a couple of tournaments that Crosby played in a few years back (Crosby played his youth hockey in Minnesota). He was good, but not one of the best at that time-they were about 13 years old then.

alkemical
07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
One of my sons played in a couple of tournaments that Crosby played in a few years back (Crosby played his youth hockey in Minnesota). He was good, but not one of the best at that time-they were about 13 years old then.

my how times have changed.... ;)

61Vikefan
07-06-2006, 03:45 PM
my how times have changed.... ;)
You got that right-so many of the hotdog kids when young tail off so sharply when they hit about the 13 mark, and the kids that were on the bubble take off like the space shuttle. Obviously Crosby was one of those.

Talent can take you only so far in hockey-then the other half of the game, the mental part becomes most important later on.

Jori
07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/archives/drew0706toon.gif

Jori
07-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Antropov re-signed with the Laffs. It's been pretty slow so far this morning.

Look for recently graduated CC Tiger Marty Sertich (Hobey Baker winner in 2005) to sign with the Dallas Stars.

This is now the second period for college players to sign. It's 50/50 as to whether Erik Johnson ever wears a Gopher jersey. Jonathan Towes may also decide to go pro and it's possible that Kessel may sign with the Bruins sometime this summer.

Nothing new on Gabe Gauthier; if there is a front runner to land him, it would be the Anaheim Ducks.

Jori
07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Erik Johnson will go to Minnesota in the fall.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170766&hubname=

Smart move imo. Maybe they can beat Holy Cross now :rofl:

Clockwork Orange
07-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Smart move imo. Maybe they can beat Holy Cross now :rofl:

Maybe. If Kessel comes back too, maybe. :laugh:

24champ
07-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Curran, who wouldn't elaborate on negotiations, said Shanahan's future probably won't be decided until after the weekend. The Wings reportedly have offered a one-year, $4 million contract, along with a two-year deal at slightly less than $4 million a season.
The Bruins are considering offering Shanahan a two-year contract worth $9.8 million. Montreal and Los Angeles -- teams in need of size and goal-scoring ability -- also are considering giving him more than $4 million a season.

I hope we sign him....!Booya!

Bruins are out of the running.....

According to a knowledgeable source, the possibility of free agent winger Brendan Shanahan signing with the Bruins is now dead. Reportedly, St. Louis and Detroit are in the running for the 37-year-old's services. - Boston Herald

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

I know for a fact Shanahan was in LA last week for a little bit so I think the Kings have a good shot at getting him. He may be old but we need a top 6 forward pretty bad.

Breck Bronc
07-07-2006, 05:28 PM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/archives/drew0706toon.gifLitton missed the mark on this one. The Avs will spend as much as they can, but 5 million in bonuses to Sakic and Blake, the Theodore trade, and the stupid contracts to Brisebois, Turgeon and May have derailed any chance for the team to make any big free agent signings.

Jori
07-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Gabe Gauthier signs with the LA Kings. Hopefully they treat him better then they did Connor James.

24champ
07-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Good signing, nice to have a local kid try and play for the Kings organization though it looks like he is going to play for Manchester this year.

Former University of Denver hockey standout Gabe Gauthier (Buena Park, Calif.) has signed a two-year entry level contract with the National Hockey League's Los Angeles Kings, it was announced today. Gauthier will report to the Kings' prospect/conditioning camp next week and begin his career with the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League next fall. Terms of the two-year deal were not disclosed.
http://denverpioneers.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/070706aaa.html

Jori
07-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Sertich signing with the Stars is now official. The premier FA left for undrafted college players is BCs Chris Collins. Look for Collins to sign with a Eastern Conference team, perhaps Buffalo or Boston.

Jori
07-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Avs lose chief scout, Jim Hammett, to Hockey Canada.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story/?ID=170834&hubname=

I thought Hammett did a great job, particularly the last three drafts, after Dave Draper left. This is great for Hockey Canada, but a loss for the Avs. Best of luck to Jim.

Jori
07-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Islanders sign Tom Poti aka Patrice Brisebois Jr

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170864&hubname=nhl

Minnesota re-signs D Brent Burns; 2 years, 1.65 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170833&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Theodore seeks apology from TV station

Canadian Press

7/8/2006 2:55:19 PM

MONTREAL (CP) - Former Montreal Canadiens goalie Jose Theodore and his girlfriend have demanded a retraction from French television station TQS over a story the network aired reporting the couple had separated.

Theodore and Stephanie Cloutier are also seeking an on-air apology, saying the June 20 report by Marie-Christine Proulx was "false and deceitful," their lawyer said in a news release.

Proulx reported on the current-affairs program Le Grand Journal that Theodore had moved out of the couple's Montreal home.

"Mrs. Proulx's report was blunt and presented the situation as fact as if it was verified," the statement said.

"The report was totally false and unfounded."

The lawyer said the report failed to respect minimal journalistic practices, and had consequences for their lives, privacy, reputation and dignity.

"The couple wants that their private life isn't the object of sensational stories."

Theodore made headlines on June 19, after he was photographed partying with American hotel heiress Paris Hilton in Toronto.

Witnesses said Hilton, 25, hit it off with the 29-year-old Colorado Avalanche goalie.

Cloutier and Theodore have a three-month-old daughter together.

The couple was recently seen together shopping in Colorado, the Journal de Montreal reported Friday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170861&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-09-2006, 08:59 AM
The New York Post is reporting that Brendan Shanahan has signed with the Rangers.

Jori
07-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Shanahan to the Rangers is now listed on their website.

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/pressreleases.asp?id=2215

TSN reports that it's a one year deal at 4 million.

Habs re-sign Chris Higgins; one year, 673k

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170942&hubname=

Jori
07-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Big three team trade.

Mark Bell is on his way to San Jose. In exchange the Sharks have sent Tom Preissing (former CC Tiger) and Josh Hennessy to Chicago who is expected to send those players as a part of a package to Ottawa for Martin Havlat.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=nhl

Clockwork Orange
07-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Big three team trade.

Mark Bell is on his way to San Jose. In exchange the Sharks have sent Tom Preissing (former CC Tiger) and Josh Hennessy to Chicago who is expected to send those players as a part of a package to Ottawa for Martin Havlat.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=nhl

So the Blackhawks are giving up Bell to rent Havlat for a year? He's already said that he wants to explore free agency next summer, so he won't be signing on long term with Chicago.

Jori
07-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Here's the complete deal:

*San Jose receives Mark Bell
*Chicago receives Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski
*Ottawa receives Tom Preissing, Josh Hennessy, Michal Barinka, 2008 secound round pick

Clockwork Orange
07-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Here's the complete deal:

*San Jose receives Mark Bell
*Chicago receives Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski
*Ottawa receives Tom Preissing, Josh Hennessy, Michal Barinka, 2008 secound round pick

The Blackhawks continue to make no sense.

Jori
07-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Hawks aren't that dumb afterall:

"Havlat, a restricted free agent who had been insisting on signing a one-year deal so he can test the unrestricted free agent market next summer, has signed a three-year, $18-million contract extension with the Blackhawks."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=

Clockwork Orange
07-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Hawks aren't that dumb afterall:

"Havlat, a restricted free agent who had been insisting on signing a one-year deal so he can test the unrestricted free agent market next summer, has signed a three-year, $18-million contract extension with the Blackhawks."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=

Well, that definitely changes things. Looks a lot better from Chicago's end now.

Breck Bronc
07-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, that definitely changes things. Looks a lot better from Chicago's end now.And there goes a huge free agent that the Avs could have tried to sign in 2007 (presupposing that we don't take a cap hit next year for Peter McNab's color analyst contract).

Clockwork Orange
07-09-2006, 08:10 PM
And there goes a huge free agent that the Avs could have tried to sign in 2007 (presupposing that we don't take a cap hit next year for Peter McNab's color analyst contract).

I'm expecting to find out next summer that the Avs wrote bonuses worth $10 million each into the contracts of Breezeby, Turgeon & May, eating up $30 million of next years cap.

Killericon
07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Finally...the Hawks do something I can appreciate.

Thank god.

SoCalBronco
07-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Finally...the Hawks do something I can appreciate.

Thank god.

I thought you were a Flames fan.

Clockwork Orange
07-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Word is that Ed Belfour will sign with the Wings tomorrow.

Jori
07-10-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm guessing Detroit is going with a stop gap in hopes that Howard or Liv is ready in 07-08. With all the talk about the Avs taking some hits, Dallas and Detroit have done so as well. Though they are still in a better position then Colorado for next season. The Avs will take some lumps, but they'll get younger and eventually get better and because of the salary cap, it wont take as long as it would have under the old system.

alkemical
07-10-2006, 08:25 AM
ray sherro is taking a wait and see approach, of course without any 'real' owner he's got to be a bit more safe....

Smiling Assassin27
07-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Word is that Ed Belfour will sign with the Wings tomorrow.

i hope eddie's paying ken holland to play in detroit and not vice versa. what a waste.

Killericon
07-10-2006, 09:54 AM
I thought you were a Flames fan.

I'm a Flames fan because I live in Calgary...but my heart's in Chicago.

They've been a hard team to cheer for as of late...I mean, Khabibulin? Weak.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Backstrom is staying in Sweden, and the Caps are considering whether or not they think Ovechkin is ready for the "C".

SoCalBronco
07-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Backstrom is staying in Sweden, and the Caps are considering whether or not they think Ovechkin is ready for the "C".

That is disappointing (Backstrom). I thought he was the most ready of the top offensive prospects? AO definitely is ready to captain the team.

Jori
07-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Islanders sign Chris Simon

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=957 (http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/archive.asp?id=957)

Hercules Rockefeller
07-11-2006, 09:29 AM
That is disappointing (Backstrom). I thought he was the most ready of the top offensive prospects? AO definitely is ready to captain the team.

I'd actually prefer Backstrom stayed over to separate his and Ovechkin's UFA year by 2 seasons now. It's not like NB will be the difference between making and missing the playoffs this season, if he doesn't think he's ready, give him another year to prepare. I also don't want to see Ovechkin given the "C" in his 2nd year. Give him an "A" for a year or two first.

Killericon
07-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Of course Ovechkin should be captain...He leads that team.

alkemical
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
The rumor on the street was that Recchi had a problem with crosby being an "A"

Hercules Rockefeller
07-11-2006, 12:55 PM

Not as much other players on that team. If you want a young player who is considered a leader on the team to be given the "C", you give it to Brian Sutherby.

Bronx33
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM

I would give it to him IF he continues to lead the team one year doesn't justify a C let him get a few years of sevice under his belt and earn it like all the other C do.

Jori
07-11-2006, 04:17 PM
06-07 schedule to be released tomorrow !Booya!

Killericon
07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm not saying he's earned it...I'm saying noone else on that team has either. Might as well be him.

24champ
07-11-2006, 05:16 PM
General Manager Dean Lombardi liked what he saw on the ice Monday but doesn't expect those kids to provide all the immediate help the team needs, so he's pondering a dip into the free-agent market for a big, veteran forward.

He wouldn't confirm any names but it's believed his list includes Eric Lindros and Owen Nolan.

"We've got to make sure it's a fit," Lombardi said.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl/la-sp-kings11jul11,1,5637466.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nhl