PDA

View Full Version : General Hockey Thread v2.0

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I saw at the Avs site they've got him as the 8th best NA skater, but that list is accurate as of 4-20. I really hope Adrian didn't go off of a 2 month old list when he wrote the article.

I printed out a copy of the NHL Draft media guide and it says on the 1st page that the info in there is current as of 4-20, so I imagine that's where Dater got it from.

Still, that doesn't excuse him from not being able to interpret the rankings properly. Especially when I know he owns a computer and is capable of doing a few minutes worth of research.

Pendejo
06-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I printed out a copy of the NHL Draft media guide and it says on the 1st page that the info in there is current as of 4-20, so I imagine that's where Dater got it from.

Still, that doesn't excuse him from not being able to interpret the rankings properly. Especially when I know he owns a computer and is capable of doing a few minutes worth of research.

Yeah...I found the same stuff yesterday after they drafted Stewart. He simply was ranked as the 8th best skater in North America. Not the 8th best player in the draft. I don't remember what site I found all of that on, but they had rankings in all sorts of areas.

After reading the information I did not come away with the impression that Stewart was ranked as the 8th best player. It was pretty clear.

Then again I'm not sure how many casual fans pay attention to such things. For the ignorant Avs fans...Dater's piece will get them excited.

I don't care where he was ranked anyway...I just like that the Avs looked to have gotten themselves a legit power forward. We'll see how he develops.

I also read up on your boy Nigel Clockwork. That looks like a no brainer of a pick.

How long does the team that drafts a player have to get them under contract?

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
How long does the team that drafts a player have to get them under contract?

It's two years for European players & players in Canadian Juniors. NCAA player's rights are retained so long as the player has college eligibility and remains in school.

So the Avs have two years to sign Chris Stewart, while they could wait four years for Nigel Williams until he graduates from Wisconsin.

WABronco
06-25-2006, 06:46 PM
In your estimation, how many players from this year's draft are capable of playing right away?

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Not many. Backstrom is regarded as the most NHL ready prospect and the Caps appear to want him to come over this year. On sheer ability, Kessel is good enough to play this season, but I think he could use another year in college to work on the finer points of his game.

SoCalBronco
06-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Nigel Williams article from about a week ago.

Commitment
North Aurora hockey player about to see his dream come true

donnell collins / staff photographer
Nigel Williams of North Aurora is expected to be drafted high in the NHL 2006 Entry Draft on Saturday. Williams won a gold medal while playing for USA Hockey's U-18 team in Sweden last April.
Nigel Williams has played hockey for as long as he can remember.

But up until last year, the 18-year-old defenseman from North Aurora was just focusing on having fun. He had never given much thought to the idea of actually doing it for a living.

That's going to change Saturday in Vancouver, British Columbia, when Williams should hear his named called early in the National Hockey League's 2006 Entry Draft.

Williams, who plays for the USA Hockey's U-18 team and was a member of its 2006 World Championship squad, was ranked in April by the league's Central Scouting Service as the 13th-best North American skater. Other publications have him listed even higher.

"It never really crossed my mind until last year when I got on Team USA and people started seeing me," he said. "It's a big change. You go from someone who people thought was an average player to someone who is on the top."

His play for Team USA was what got him the exposure, but that was just the result of a lifetime of work that started at age 3. From traveling almost every weekend to long separations from family, Williams grew up in an environment that definitely wasn't the norm.

"We had to travel everywhere just to find ice and play," Williams said. "There was a lot of driving, and there were a lot of late nights. But I had a lot of fun doing it."

An early start

Williams started his hockey career playing in local house leagues, then joined the successful Team Illinois program while in grade school. When he was ready to enter high school, he decided to attend Shattuck-St. Mary's, a prep school in Fairbault, Minn., that has a deep hockey history.
Fairbault is about a 400-mile, 6Ĺ-hour drive from home. Williams admitted it was tough heading that far from home as a high school freshman.

"It was a big jump," he said. "You're away from your parents, and you are up there for a while, by yourself. It was different, but all the guys there were hockey players, so it was a lot of fun."

After two years in Minnesota, Williams came back home to play for Team Illinois, where in 60 games he had 14 goals and 18 assists. Williams was starting to draw some attention from Division I colleges and settled on the University of Wisconsin, where he planned to attend in the fall of 2007, giving him another year after high school to hone his skills before entering the college ranks.

Then things changed in a big way. In the spring of 2005, he was invited to Slovakia to try out for the USA Hockey National Team Development Program. The NTDP is made up of two teams — U-17 and U-18 — that help groom players for future hockey careers, which can include participation on the national team.

He got off to a good start. In his first tournament, he led the tournament in scoring and was named the top defenseman.

"Nigel to me doesn't get nervous in big games," said his father, Tim. "Most kids would be nervous. For a player to be a newcomer and under the highest pressure, he handled it well."

Williams was accepted to the team, which meant another move — this time to Ann Arbor, Mich. Players in the NTDP attend class at local high schools for half of the day, then spend the rest of the day at the rink. The team travels around the country and plays more than 50 games against mostly college competition while also playing internationally, including the Five Nations Tournament in Russia and the IIHF World Championships in Sweden.

It was a grueling schedule, but also an introduction into life in the world of high-level hockey.

"With the USA program, at times it might have felt like a job, because they were pushing you that hard," he said. "If you weren't performing, then you were in trouble. Some of the guys (we played against) were better than us, but you realize where you need to get to."

What made it all worthwhile was the team's play in the World Championships.

The team went 6-0 and capped the tournament with a 3-1 win over Finland in the title game to give the U-18 squad back-to-back world titles for the first time in NTDP history.

"When I got to USA, it was all about the world tournament and trying to repeat," he said. "There were some intense workouts, with everything building up to it. When it came down to the championship game and we won it, everything was worth it."

Dream come true

Williams admits he has had several ups and downs in his career, but the constant through all of it has been the support of his family. His sister, Frankie, plays women's hockey at the University of Vermont, and his father has been his support since the beginning.
Tim, who owns and operates F.A.N. Construction Material Services in Montgomery, was fortunate to be able to set his own hours so he could make time for his son's hockey commitments: three practices per week, tournaments every weekend, and two trips to Detroit each month.

It hasn't been easy. Tim jokes that he could have "bought a Ferrari and a couple of Lamborghinis" with what he has spent on hockey, and looking back he still marvels at how he was able to balance his life to keep their dream alive.

"I told him to do his job on the ice," Tim Williams said. "I told him, 'You give me 100 percent on the ice, and I'll give you 110 off the ice.'"

"My family has made an unbelievable commitment," Nigel Williams said. "My sister's been nothing but awesome to me, and both of my parents (Tim and Pam, now divorced) have worked hard to get us to where we are."

The elder Williams had hoped all of it might lead to a hockey scholarship — which it did.

What he didn't envision was that his son would grow to 6-foot-5 and weigh 230 pounds with advanced offensive skills for a defenseman, someone who could go end-to-end and have an on-ice disposition such that he was named the "meanest player on the ice" at the recent NHL Scouting Combine.

"It's a dream that you never could have dreamt, because it was way too high of a dream," Tim Williams said. "All I ever dreamed about was getting to college and hopefully play for a Division I school. I got way more than I ever asked for. From the age of 3Ĺ up, it's been a long road."

While competitive and hard-hitting on the ice, the younger Williams is the opposite off of it. He is polite and well-spoken, wants to be nice to everyone, and likes to laugh and clown around.

Tim Williams recalls seeing his son's maturity at the world championship title game when Nigel was pulled from the game after one shift and didn't play the rest of the night. Instead of sulking, he checked his disappointment and cheered his team onto victory. In team photos, Nigel is seen with a beaming smile, the gold medal hanging around his neck.

Like any recent high school graduate, Williams — who transferred back to Oswego at the end of the school year in time for graduation — is closing one chapter to his life and opening another, and the draft will have a lot to say as to what he plans on doing next. Though he has met with several teams, he won't know until his name is called which team plans on drafting him.

After the draft, that team will hold his negotiating rights throughout his college career, and he'd like to play college hockey until he's ready to go pro. Because of his rapid development, he has already been working out with the Wisconsin program, and should he decide to stay in college, he will play for the Badgers this season instead of waiting one more year.

But a seven-figure bonus to turn professional may be there as well. That's something the Williams family will have to mill over through the next couple of months.

Beyond hockey, Nigel Williams has never let himself get bogged down by the complexities of life, and he doesn't plan on changing.

"Everybody has their goals in life, and I'd just like to be able to be in the NHL and just play," he said. "I'd be playing against the best guys in the world. I would have put in my time and finally gotten there."

06/18/06

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/sports/2_2_AU18_NHLDRAFT_S1.asp

Mtbrncofn
06-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Michael Neuwirth looks like he's about 12.

Jori
06-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Nigel Williams (51st overall)
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71295444.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB4EAC938EE5EAA5B6

Breck Bronc
06-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Nigel looks a bit crazy, which I like in a 6-5, 230 pound defenseman.

As far as Dater saying Stewart could have been a top ten pick, who cares? He was the 8th best North American skater in April and only 4 Euros were picked in front of him yesterday. I don't care where the ISS ranked Stewart, anyway; we've needed a big, strong forward like him for years now (now he's just got the small task of panning out).

I'm happy to see we're starting to collect prospects again. The forwards picked in the last two drafts look good and I like the Nigel Williams selection, though we still need some more prospects on the blueline.

Jori
06-25-2006, 10:30 PM
They definately need to add to the blueline, but I didn't mind using the first round pick on Stewart. What really bode well for the Avs was how the defensemen really fell. Williams was projected to be a mid to late first round pick, even the center Burti who they took late in the second was projected to go late first in some mocks. I really like this draft for the Avs. I love the Montgomery and Sauer picks. Sauer was a guy that was projected to be a first rounder 18 months ago. When Montoya left Michigan to sign with the Rangers, Sauer joined the Wolverines a year before his expected arrival as a 17 year old. His numbers weren't great, but this is a potential steal if he rebounds to his USHL form. Montgomery could turn into a Liles type pick.

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I won't mind them not going heavy on the blue line so long as that's their focus when free agency starts. The cupboard is now stocked with quality forward prospects (Wolski, Stastny, Stoa, Stewart, Hensick), but the defense is still not where I'd prefer it to be.

With the likes of Jovo, McCabe (contrary to reports, his deal is not done and may not get done), Redden, McKee, Kubina and others all be out there to be had, there's no excuse not to get one of them with the Tanguay savings. Add one quality UFA D-man to the core of Blake (re-signed), Skrastins(re-signed), Liles, Leopold & Vaananen and I'll be a happy guy. Even happier if the guy who I left off is bought out. :yep:

SoCalBronco
06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Skrastins(re-signed), Liles, Leopold & Vaananen and I'll be a happy guy. Even happier if the guy who I left off is bought out. :yep:

http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key[captain],value[]&set=key[name],value[CLOCKWORK]&set=key[number],value[71]&set=key[displaysize],value[220]&load=url[http://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/pG01-2091016_customback.chain]

:wiggle:

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2006, 11:03 PM
http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key[captain],value[]&set=key[name],value[CLOCKWORK]&set=key[number],value[71]&set=key[displaysize],value[220]&load=url[http://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/pG01-2091016_customback.chain]

:wiggle:

First a Kenyon jersey on my birthday and now this?

I retract my nomination of you for the OM Hall Of Fame.

;D

Hercules Rockefeller
06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Backstrom is regarded as the most NHL ready prospect and the Caps appear to want him to come over this year.

Let him stay so he doesn't use up a year towards UFA status. Besides the Caps will already be breaking in at least one rookie next year on their top 2 lines (Fleischmann) and probably another in Fehr for a decent part of the season. They don't need to add Backstrom to that mix.

Clockwork Orange
06-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Good lord, the NY Post is reporting that the Oilers talked to the Panthers about a trade for Chris Pronger at the draft. The Oilers asked for Jay Bouwmeester, Nathan Horton & the 10th overall pick in the draft, to which the Panthers naturally said no f'n way.

Grab a Snickers, Pronger. If that's what Lowe is asking for, you won't be going anywhere for a while.

SoCalBronco
06-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Leopold didn't see yesterday's trade coming

By RANDY SPORTAK -- Calgary Sun

Goalie a popular pick
Flames land left-winger to help fill the net
Sutter makes a big splash at draft

VANCOUVER -- Caught off guard? That's an understatement.

Jordan Leopold's plans yesterday were to go to a wedding.

Instead, he received word the Calgary Flames had dealt him to the Colorado Avalanche for Alex Tanguay.

"I was really surprised," said Leopold, whose name had surfaced the last while as trade bait for the Flames to answer their need for scoring. "I wasn't expecting anything to happen.

"The last time I'd heard my name (being mentioned as a trade possibility) was at the deadline but then nothing happened. I didn't hear anything lately so wasn't expecting anything."

Leopold came into the league an offensive defenceman and developed his defensive skills to the point he averaged more than 22 minutes a game under the Flames defence-first system.

However, he slumped last season offensively, netting only two goals and 18 assists and took heat from GM/head coach Darryl Sutter.

"To me, it was more Darryl being frustrated for me," Leopold said. "I had three goals called back and that would have put me at five and that would have been an pretty good season."

Sutter said the trade wasn't an indictment of Leopold's development.

"To get a top player, you've got to get up a good, young player and we gave up a good, young player," Sutter said. "That's how I explained it to Leo.

"It's not that you want to trade a player like that but to get to where we wanted to go, it's obvious what we had to give up."

Though excited about a restart of his career in Denver, Leopold said it was difficult leaving the only NHL city he'd known.

"My family had become accustomed to being there and settled in, to it's tough to leave," he said, before adding: "I am surprised I went to another team in the division."

Though that's not a normal practice in the NHL, Sutter wasn't fazed: "Hey, no brains, no fear."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Draft/2006/06/25/1652480-sun.html

Pendejo
06-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Nigel looks a bit crazy, which I like in a 6-5, 230 pound defenseman.

I believe that in an article Clockwork posted earlier...Nigel was named the meanest player on the ice...in some tourney or another.

You have to like meaness come bad intentions in a blueliner. Adam Foote was chalk full of it, and Rob Blake certainly is in his own way.

I liked the Tanger trade, and I liked what the Avs did yesterday in the draft. Now it's up to them to spend some dough, and make a decent team a pretty good one.

(Edit: What's the over/under on Tay-o-door missing time next season with...chlamydia...herpes...or the crabs?")

Hercules Rockefeller
06-26-2006, 10:35 AM
WC Draft Grades

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/06/25/west.grades/index.html

EC

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/06/25/east.grades/index.html

alkemical
06-26-2006, 10:39 AM
overall i think my pens got some good prospects.

thanks for the links herc.

Jori
06-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Habs resign Huet to a two year deal worth 5.75 million; a 2.875 cap hit for each year---TSN.ca

Clockwork Orange
06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Tyler Arnason let go by Ottawa without a qualifying offer. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169791&hubname=)

Smiling Assassin27
06-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Habs resign Huet to a two year deal worth 5.75 million; a 2.875 cap hit for each year---TSN.ca

he'll be traded to the Avs in a year or so...he'll have his jersey retired in 2 years. book it. 8')

Clockwork Orange
06-26-2006, 03:36 PM
he'll be traded to the Avs in a year or so...he'll have his jersey retired in 2 years. book it. 8')

Or he'll sign with Detroit in two years for $8 million per season and then be relegated to backup duty when Hasek comes out of retirement again. ;)

Breck Bronc
06-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Or he'll sign with Detroit in two years for $8 million per season and then be relegated to backup duty when Hasek comes out of retirement again. ;)The winner, by way of technical knockout, Clockwork Orange!

Smiling Assassin27
06-26-2006, 04:17 PM
The winner, by way of technical knockout, Clockwork Orange!

touche...

as long as ass-lick brings another cup to Detroit, i'm ok with that...:wiggle:

Clockwork Orange
06-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Martin Biron accepts his qualifying offer and abrupty asks for a trade. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169796&hubname=)

Pretty predictable. Miller established himself as the #1 netminder in Buffalo and Biron is good enough to be a starter. The Sabres are being goodly enough to accomodate him, so this appears to be a pretty fair situation for all parties concerned.

Clockwork Orange
06-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Boston/Phoenix trade complete. (http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/story_details.php?ID=5117)

Boston trades Nick Boynton + a 4th round pick to Phoenix for Paul Mara + a 3rd round pick.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-26-2006, 07:44 PM
http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/_5ox5rgyaeu8p/extras.cgi?2006-nhl-draft-grades

Hockey News grades

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Penguins extend qualifying offers to 6, decline to qualify 11 (http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1927.0.php)

The Pittsburgh Penguins have made qualifying offers to six of their group II free agents, thus retaining their rights, it was announced Monday by General Manager Ray Shero.

The following six players have been extended qualifying offers: forwards - Colby Armstrong, Ryan Malone, Niklas Nordgren, Jani Rita; defenseman - Brooks Orpik; goaltender - Marc-Andre Fleury.

The following 11 players have not been extended qualifying offers and become unrestricted free agents: forwards - Ben Eaves, Andy Hilbert, Krystofer Kolanos, Konstantin Koltsov, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy, Petr Taticek; defensemen - Drew Fata, Alexandre Rouleau, Andy Schneider; goaltender - Andy Chiodo.

alkemical
06-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Penguins extend qualifying offers to 6, decline to qualify 11 (http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1927.0.php)

The Pittsburgh Penguins have made qualifying offers to six of their group II free agents, thus retaining their rights, it was announced Monday by General Manager Ray Shero.

The following six players have been extended qualifying offers: forwards - Colby Armstrong, Ryan Malone, Niklas Nordgren, Jani Rita; defenseman - Brooks Orpik; goaltender - Marc-Andre Fleury.

The following 11 players have not been extended qualifying offers and become unrestricted free agents: forwards - Ben Eaves, Andy Hilbert, Krystofer Kolanos, Konstantin Koltsov, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy, Petr Taticek; defensemen - Drew Fata, Alexandre Rouleau, Andy Schneider; goaltender - Andy Chiodo.

they guys they need to keep they offered - everyone else can go

SoCalBronco
06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Cuban, Marino bid for Pens

Tools
Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Andrew Conte
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Two Pittsburgh natives -- billionaire Mark Cuban and football legend Dan Marino -- have joined a New York financier Andrew Murstein's bid to buy the Penguins hockey team, Murstein announced today.
Cuban, a Mt. Lebanon native who owns the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA, confirmed that he has joined Murstein in offering to buy the Penguins. Cuban said by e-mail that he's interested in owning the team only if it remains in Pittsburgh.

"To help keep the team in Pittsburgh," he wrote. "That's a condition of my participation."

Marino, who grew up in Oakland and starred for Central Catholic High School, the University of Pittsburgh and the Miami Dolphins, could not be reached for comment.

Murstein, president of Medallion Financial Group, is one of four or five serious bidders for the team. Murstein’s group also includes the partners in the Shadyside-based real estate development firm Walnut Capital.

A Penguins spokesman wouldn't comment on the pending sale, but team officials have said keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh is a priority.

The Penguins' current owners are accepting official offers this week and are expected to pick a winner in the next two weeks. Owners include former team captain Mario Lemieux and California investor Ron Burkle.

The other bidders are Clarion Capital Partners, a New York private equity firm headed by managing partner Marc Utay; Ohio businessman Jim Renacci; Massachusetts real estate developer Lawrence Gottesdiener; and Toronto real estate developers David and Sam Fingold.

The team's lease at Mellon Arena expires in June 2007. Under its lease, the team can start looking for a new hometown on July 1, which is Saturday.

Andrew Conte can be reached at aconte@tribweb.com or (412) 765-2312.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/today/s_459732.html

Mtbrncofn
06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Are there a lot of delusional Cansuck fans out there or what? ( I know, redundant question. ) After reading through a lot of crap on TSN and other places, there seem to be a lot of their fans thinking Chara is coming their way.

They wouldn't have the cap room to sign someone like Chara as well as adding Luongo's salary too, do they?

And while I'm at it, did Luongo tell Nonis who he wanted backing him up?

WABronco
06-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Are there a lot of delusional Cansuck fans out there or what? ( I know, redundant question. ) After reading through a lot of crap on TSN and other places, there seem to be a lot of their fans thinking Chara is coming their way.

They wouldn't have the cap room to sign someone like Chara as well as adding Luongo's salary too, do they?

And while I'm at it, did Luongo tell Nonis who he wanted backing him up?

They do need a top d-man though to replace Jovo. The hot name going around is Willie Mitchell because he's a BC guy...I'm not so sure though.

I'm not sure about the cap space, but Luongo was on a local radio show saying that he is interested in signing in Van longterm. He said his special arrangements don't apply in Van...and never were the deal breaker in Florida either.

They may end up dealing Cloutier, so that would open up a nice chunk of cap room.

Mtbrncofn
06-27-2006, 02:42 PM
So who was the backup that Luongo dictated to Nonis?

WABronco
06-27-2006, 02:48 PM
So who was the backup that Luongo dictated to Nonis?
He didn't....that's what I said in my last post.

He said his special arrangements don't apply in Van...and never were the deal breaker in Florida either.

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Avs qualify 8 players (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nhl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23920_4804344,00.html)

The eight players and their 2005-06 salaries are: defensemen Ossi Vaananen ($950,000), Kurt Sauer ($718,200) and John-Michael Liles ($450,000); forwards Cody McCormick ($450,000), Brett McLean ($450,000) and Marek Svatos ($450,000); and goalies Peter Budaj ($450,000) and Vitaly Kolesnik ($450,000).

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Canes re-sign Kaberle. (http://www.caneshockey.com/news/news.asp?articleid=1562)

4 years, $8.8 million.

Also, the hot rumor right now is that the Sharks & Sens are discussing a deal that would send Martin Havlat to San Jose for Vesa Toskala.

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Avs pick up option on Laaksonen, re-sign Vaananen. (http://coloradoavalanche.com/news/currentdetails.asp?ID=580)

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced Tuesday it has picked up the option on forward Antti Laaksonen’s contract for the 2006-07 season and signed defenseman Ossi Vaananen to a one-year deal.

:yep:

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
NHL & NHLPA announce salary cap at $44 million for next season (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169857&hubname=)

There's more good news for the National Hockey League.

Following a strong return season after the lockout, the NHL and NHLPA jointly announced on Tuesday that the team salary cap is increasing.

The salary cap floor which was $21.5 million in 2005-06 will move up to $28 million. The ceiling moves from $39 million to $44 million.

The cap is up because league-wide revenues exceeded pre-season projections of $1.8 billion and totalled more than $2.1 billion this season.

Tredici
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Avs qualify 8 players (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nhl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23920_4804344,00.html)

The eight players and their 2005-06 salaries are: defensemen Ossi Vaananen ($950,000), Kurt Sauer ($718,200) and John-Michael Liles ($450,000); forwards Cody McCormick ($450,000), Brett McLean ($450,000) and Marek Svatos ($450,000); and goalies Peter Budaj ($450,000) and Vitaly Kolesnik ($450,000).

Wait a minute. No Brad May? I mean how can we possibly live without the guy who has the worst +/- on the team, acquired in about 2 or 3 minutes of ice time? I'm very perplexed.

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Bruins fire head coach Mike Sullivan. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169876&hubname=nhl)

He must have asked for a raise. ;D

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Wait a minute. No Brad May? I mean how can we possibly live without the guy who has the worst +/- on the team, acquired in about 2 or 3 minutes of ice time? I'm very perplexed.

Unfortunately, they didn't have to qualify May, he has a contract for next season. Please join me in praying for a buyout of he, Breezeby & Turgeon.

:pray:

Tredici
06-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately, they didn't have to qualify May, he has a contract for next season. Please join me in praying for a buyout of he, Breezeby & Turgeon.

:pray:

Good Gawd. Talk about dead cap space.

Jori
06-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Sportsnet expects Bruins to name Dave Lewis as their new head coach.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060627_183205_5188

Clockwork Orange
06-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Sportsnet expects Bruins to name Dave Lewis as their new head coach.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060627_183205_5188

What a mess that organization is, top to bottom. :nono:

Mtbrncofn
06-27-2006, 09:03 PM
He didn't....that's what I said in my last post.

Well that's not what other Canucklehead fans are saying.

WABronco
06-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Well that's not what other Canucklehead fans are saying.
Oh really? Where?

WABronco
06-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Luongo's agent on Vancouver radio:

-He basically said the Luongo wanted to sign a 5 year deal to start off with but Keenan said he'd only do a one year deal

-Then Luongo agreed to do a one year deal with the Panthers but Keenan said no we want a five year deal

-He figures a long term deal with the Canucks seems very likely because the only reason they wanted a one year deal was because they felt like Keenan was going to trade him so they didn't want to be locked up long term on a bad team

-Canucks organization is a hundred times better than the Panther's

-Luongo wont be asking for the max because he know if he does that then he'll be hurting the team down the road.

Luongo himself on Van radio:

"the special conditions really only applied to my status in Florida"

Luongo: "Great organization, Great city. I'm excited to get a chance at the playoffs."

"So far it's been nothing but positive and they have the elements to make the playoffs and I think they missed because of injuries, and my job is to make a run at the cup there."

"I would love to stay there long term, but I don't want to make any rash decisions... but I don't see any problems as the city is great and the organization is good."

"It's tough for me to make a decision, because i've never lived there and it will be a decision for my wife... but I don't think there will be any problems because i've heard nothing but good things about Vancouver!"

"I think I'm my best during tough challenges (playoffs)... I feel I elivate my game in those situations."

Just a summary off another board...

Tredici
06-27-2006, 09:49 PM
"the special conditions really only applied to my status in Florida"[/B]

Quite frankly I'm not all that impressed with any player who feels he has the right to demand any type of special conditions. Not his job to build the team. It's his net to mind when he's in it. Period.

Mtbrncofn
06-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Oh really? Where?

Actually it was just comments here and there. Some on TSN, some on ESPN, I think? Could just be fan projections.

WABronco
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Quite frankly I'm not all that impressed with any player who feels he has the right to demand any type of special conditions. Not his job to build the team. It's his net to mind when he's in it. Period.
Yea, me neither. I can't remember what they all were, but one was that he wanted the same backup goalie or something...

Pendejo
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM

You might feel differently Tred...if you were a player with some stroke, and Mike Keenan was your G.M.

WABronco
06-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Actually it was just comments here and there. Some on TSN, some on ESPN, I think? Could just be fan projections.

I didn't hear anything first-hand either...just going off of what others said on the 'nucks forum.

Mtbrncofn
06-27-2006, 09:54 PM

I agree.

24champ
06-27-2006, 10:05 PM
BAD NEWS FOR SOCAL and other Pen fans....Kansas City Penguins and Crosby to LA ;D ? LMAO.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=263311

Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) owns the LA Kings and manages arenas like the new Sprint Center in Kansas City. They need a N.H.L. or N.B.A. team to make it work. AEG cannot purchase the Penguins and have not found local investors in Kansas City willing to take the financial risk. That's where the Fingold's come into this, they have been recruited to purchase the team from Ron Burkle. Mario Lemieux is no longer majority owner. Lemieux gave that up when he sold the club last summer and triggered a clause and had Burkle pay him for his shares.Ron Burkle has investment ties with AEG and personal ties with Philip Anschutz, they both tried to bring the N.F.L. to Los Angeles. It does not matter what Jim Renacci or Murenstein bid for the team, Burkle will only sell to the Fingold's. The N.H.L. does not want to move the pens, but AEG is important to the league on two fronts. First the they own the a team in the second largest market in the league and second they own a couple of european teams opening the way for expansion and television revenues from europe. Because of this the league won't turn down this obvious conflict of interest. The pens I believe will fail in Kansas City,but that is okay for AEG. Once they find new ownership in Kansas City to replace the Fingold's after a couple of years they make it clear to the league there is financial distress and have Sidney Crosby shipped to the league's second largest market.

Combined with this thread here, it all makes for interesting speculation.
http://forums.sportsnet.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=99764 (http://forums.sportsnet.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=99764)

Bring Crosby to LA!!!!!:egbgb:

SoCalBronco
06-27-2006, 10:11 PM
BAD NEWS FOR SOCAL and other Pen fans....Kansas City Penguins and Crosby to LA ;D ? LMAO.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=263311

Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) owns the LA Kings and manages arenas like the new Sprint Center in Kansas City. They need a N.H.L. or N.B.A. team to make it work. AEG cannot purchase the Penguins and have not found local investors in Kansas City willing to take the financial risk. That's where the Fingold's come into this, they have been recruited to purchase the team from Ron Burkle. Mario Lemieux is no longer majority owner. Lemieux gave that up when he sold the club last summer and triggered a clause and had Burkle pay him for his shares.Ron Burkle has investment ties with AEG and personal ties with Philip Anschutz, they both tried to bring the N.F.L. to Los Angeles. It does not matter what Jim Renacci or Murenstein bid for the team, Burkle will only sell to the Fingold's. The N.H.L. does not want to move the pens, but AEG is important to the league on two fronts. First the they own the a team in the second largest market in the league and second they own a couple of european teams opening the way for expansion and television revenues from europe. Because of this the league won't turn down this obvious conflict of interest. The pens I believe will fail in Kansas City,but that is okay for AEG. Once they find new ownership in Kansas City to replace the Fingold's after a couple of years they make it clear to the league there is financial distress and have Sidney Crosby shipped to the league's second largest market.

Combined with this thread here, it all makes for interesting speculation.
http://forums.sportsnet.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=99764 (http://forums.sportsnet.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=99764)

Bring Crosby to LA!!!!!:egbgb:

I knew you were going to post that, I just knew it the first time I saw it. ;D
It's a bunch of bunk and has already been debunked several times.

BTW, Fingold isn't getting the team. With Cuban on board, Murstein is not going to lose the bidding and Lemieux and the Penguins organization just today, reiterated that it is a priority to keep the team there if possible, i.e. a hometown discount is going to be applied.

Further, there may be a 50 million surcharge applied by the league if the new ownership moves the team with an arena in place in Pittsburgh (via Plan B since the Penguins casino partner is not going to win the license in all likelihood).

Keep dreaming.

24champ
06-27-2006, 10:21 PM
I knew you were going to post that, I just knew it the first time I saw it. ;D
It's a bunch of bunk and has already been debunked several times.

BTW, Fingold isn't getting the team. With Cuban on board, Murstein is not going to lose the bidding and Lemieux and the Penguins organization just today, reiterated that it is a priority to keep the team there if possible, i.e. a hometown discount is going to be applied.

Further, there may be a 50 million surcharge applied by the league if the new ownership moves the team with an arena in place in Pittsburgh (via Plan B since the Penguins casino partner is not going to win the license in all likelihood).

Keep dreaming.
I know I know, but i saw that and thought socal would like to read this.:D

Cuban would make pitt a cup contender and would be a good for the NHL.

SoCalBronco
06-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I know I know, but i saw that and thought socal would like to read this.:D

Cuban would make pitt a cup contender and would be a good for the NHL.

I don't know if he will be good for the league, probably not, but it doesnt matter he wont be the majority investor, that will still be Andrew Murstein, so its not like Cuban will just dump money into them every year. Cuban is just coming in as a minority investor for Murstein to help secure that his group wins the bidding. Cuban obviously wants to be seen as the local hometown hero who helped keep the franchise there and get the glory and he's an attention whore but im okay with that. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the team stays in Pittsburgh. And they've got Dan Marino signed on too as a figurehead, which is nice, with his college and high school ties to the city. I will be very surprised if the Murstein group is not awarded the team.

I'll have the biggest fit ever if they are moved to KC. Those stupid inbred POS scum rednecks don't deserve a team, much less this team. They'll have a ****ing Stanley Cup (or two, or three) fall into their laps for free. And they are the last people that deserve that. They don't deserve ****. The team must stay in Pittsburgh!!! I'd be pissed if they are moved at all, even to Vegas, which is a possible spot and would prolly allow me to go to many games, rather than waiting once every three years till they come to LA/Anaheim, but still, Vegas would suck and it would be wrong, they have to stay in Pittsburgh.

We'll know in two weeks to a month, one way or another though.

Breck Bronc
06-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I'll have the biggest fit ever if they are moved to KC. Those stupid inbred POS scum rednecks don't deserve a team, much less this team. They'll have a ****ing Stanley Cup (or two, or three) fall into their laps for free. And they are the last people that deserve that. They don't deserve ****. The team must stay in Pittsburgh!!! I'd be pissed if they are moved at all, even to Vegas, which is a possible spot and would prolly allow me to go to many games, rather than waiting once every three years till they come to LA/Anaheim, but still, Vegas would suck and it would be wrong, they have to stay in Pittsburgh.

We'll know in two weeks to a month, one way or another though.Amen. Just say no to NHL hockey in Kansas City.

SoCalBronco
06-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Amen. Just say no to NHL hockey in Kansas City.

http://images.oldglory.com/product/018512FBMIc.jpg

Jori
06-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Bad news for Avs fans:

"The Avalanche on Tuesday announced it re-signed defenseman Ossi Vaananen and picked up the option year on forward Antti Laaksonen's contract. Vaananen received a one-year deal for $997,500 and Laaksonen will be paid $665,000 in 2006-07.
That brings the number of Avalanche players under contract to 13 totaling about $27 million. However, under terms of the collective bargaining agreement that ended the 2004-05 lockout, $2.3 million in bonuses that were included in each of the contracts signed by Sakic and Blake in 2001 will count against the Avalanche's salary cap next season, bumping the cap number to nearly $32 million."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nhl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23920_4806817,00.html

Basically this only gives the Avs 12 million to sign 9 players. Unless another trade is made, I can't see Rob Blake returning. This is also another reason why Tanguay was traded. Like last year, the Avs are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Get ready for another year of Patrice Breezeby :(

Nuggets4
06-28-2006, 08:58 AM
-Canucks organization is a hundred times better than the Panther's

Wow. Imagine how Luongo would feel if he went to a real NHL organization. He'd be shell-shocked.

Mtbrncofn
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Bad news for Avs fans:

"The Avalanche on Tuesday announced it re-signed defenseman Ossi Vaananen and picked up the option year on forward Antti Laaksonen's contract. Vaananen received a one-year deal for $997,500 and Laaksonen will be paid $665,000 in 2006-07.
That brings the number of Avalanche players under contract to 13 totaling about $27 million. However, under terms of the collective bargaining agreement that ended the 2004-05 lockout, $2.3 million in bonuses that were included in each of the contracts signed by Sakic and Blake in 2001 will count against the Avalanche's salary cap next season, bumping the cap number to nearly $32 million."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nhl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23920_4806817,00.html

Basically this only gives the Avs 12 million to sign 9 players. Unless another trade is made, I can't see Rob Blake returning. This is also another reason why Tanguay was traded. Like last year, the Avs are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Get ready for another year of Patrice Breezeby :(

Oh ****in wonderful.

alkemical
06-28-2006, 10:02 AM
cuban and marino are looking to buy the pens.

Mtbrncofn
06-28-2006, 10:14 AM
This just gets worse and worse the more I dwell on it. I could possibly handle another year of Breezeblow if I knew Blakey was going to be here too. I need a drink.

Mtbrncofn
06-28-2006, 10:19 AM
St. Patty gettin into the HHOF today. :thumbs:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169933&hubname=nhl

alkemical
06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Go figure Roy makes it... lol j/k - Cool, barasso made it? wow... he must be viewed better than i remember....

Tredici
06-28-2006, 11:06 AM
You might feel differently Tred...if you were a player with some stroke, and Mike Keenan was your G.M.

But that's just it. If you are a player of some stroke, use it far more wisely then whining about a backup.

Nuggets4
06-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Buffalo apparently decided to go back to the blue & gold -- GREAT idea.

Unfortunately, great ideas don't always work out well.

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/sabreslogo2006-07.jpg

EDIT:

I think it's safe to say that Sabres fans aren't happy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/SabreGuy2121/barneylogo1.jpg

WABronco
06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
From HockeyTradeRumours:

I'm saying it again so you can all let it sink into your heads.

We will never likely get confirmation on this story as to why, but I'm telling you right now what the reason is.

PRONGER GOT A GIRL PREGNANT, and his wife did indeed demand that they leave the city.

It all makes sense, and it's absurd to even think that it's all because Lauren Pronger simply didn't want to live in Edmonton for 4 years.

This is one of those stories that will never be made public, but it will float around and I believe it considering my sources who work at Rexall Place and know the Players and the goings on.
Whether you choose to believe it or not, that's up to you.

But think about it for a while?

Starting to make sense isn't it?

This stuff happens all the time, and is not made public to protect the integrity of the game, and the players. But it happens a whole lot more often then we ever hear about.

Corson and Mogilny's wife? Happened, and locally confirmed in Toronto, but not made Public.

Doug Gilmour sleeping with his underage babysitter in St. Louis. Got him traded out of St.Louis to Calgary to kill the story. The Blues certainly didn't want to trade him at the time.

Gary Leeman (and someone else) sleeping with Al IaFrate's wife. Happened, and they all 3 got traded because of the obvious division in the lockerroom.

Patrick Roy sleeping with a Stripper in plain view on a pool table of a strip bar in Montreal at a Habs Stanley Cup celebration party. His teammate told his wife, and his wife slept with his teammate to get revenge.

Remember his last night in net for the Habs?

That's the day he found out.
Kind of explains the shaky game he played that night doesn't it? And the Coach left him in the net as a punishment because he and the player who nailed his wife were fist fighting in the locker room before the game and during intermissions.

Mark Messier was arrested on Jasper Avenue in the Oiler's hayday, getting exactly what Hugh Grant was getting from Divine Brown, and they covered it up because he was Mark Messier.

Danny Markov was traded out of Toronto because he was an insatiable Cocaine Pig. No other reason.

The List Goes on... and any other great stories you may have would be welcomed in return.

Remember, it's up to you what you choose to believe, but believe me,

CHRIS PRONGER GOT A GIRL PREGNANT AND HIS WIFE WANTS OUT OF THE CITY BECAUSE OF IT.

As for the compensation they'll get for the trade, I have all the faith that Kevin Lowe will do more than the right thing, and the Oilers will be right back where they were. Surefire playoff contenders, with all the heart in the NHL on one amazing roster

Copied this off another board...

How funny would that be if true?

Clockwork Orange
06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Bad news for Avs fans:

If this is indeed true (and I'm not going to assume that it is just yet due to the fact that I've seen local writers in this town show a complete ignorance of the workings of the salary cap in multiple sports) then the Avs front office is guilty of ridiculous mismanagement. $4.6 million in bonuses for the two highest paid players on the team? What kind of joke is that?

Is this why we traded Tanguay? To compensate for the cap hit that Lacroix's house boys are getting? Is it their compensation for smiling real big and towing the company line on everything from the lockout to Brad May? Gotta take care of the company men, right Pierre?

If this is true, then they might as well write off next season. They won't be any better than the team that got their asses handed to them by Anaheim.

Bronx33
06-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Fingers crossed on the 07 season.

alkemical
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Jump on the pens bandwagon before anyone notices.... i won't tell.

Clockwork Orange
06-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Well, it appears that these bonuses do indeed count against this years cap, so the Avs have $4.6 million eaten up by them. That means that Sakic is counting a shade over $8 million against the cap this year between his new contract and this bonus. Nice.

Let Blake go. What the hell is the point of keeping him? So that his salary and this bonus can count $7 million or so against the cap? And for what? To maybe compete for the 8th spot in the Western Conference? No thanks. I've said it before, I'll say it again, a down year would not be the worst thing in the world for this team. Missing the playoffs would suck, but a shot at some real top tier prospects wouldn't hurt at all. Look at Carolina. They went to the Finals in '02, had a couple of down years, ended up with Eric Staal & Andrew Ladd for their trouble and were back in the Finals in '06.

But of course, Lacroix will feed us his bull**** about how this team is a contender and that their goal is to win the Cup every year. He and the front office have bungled things under the new CBA to the point that it's cost the Avs Forsberg, Foote & now Tanguay. They've painted themselves into a corner between these bonuses and the fat contract that Theowhore brought to town with him, there's just no room for upgrades under the cap.

**** me.

Jori
06-28-2006, 05:33 PM
This is definately a black eye for the organization. I never thought I would use the word "inept" to describe the Avs organization. I was really looking forward to the free agency period. I didn't think the Avs would bring in a big name, but I thought they could add a guy like Mitchell. Now we are stuck with Breezby, May and Turdgeon. Here's to 2007-08 when we will have cap room, or will some more bonuses magically appear?

Jori
06-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Good news is that I'm now a DU season ticket holder (well at least a Pioneer Pack owner).

Hercules Rockefeller
06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Jump on the pens bandwagon before anyone notices.... i won't tell.

Everyone did that last offseason and you guys ended up with the 2nd worst record in the league.

Clockwork Orange
06-28-2006, 05:44 PM
I just want to see them go with youth now. Forget signing Blake or Skrastins. Lock up the young RFA's, let them play and let the chips fall where they may. They've screwed themselves out of any chance of contention, so I'm officially throwing my support behind them jumping into the Angelo Esposito sweepstakes for next year.

Contend or rebuild, either one is fine with me. A commitment to mediocrity and being a middle of the pack team is unnacceptable.

Mtbrncofn
06-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Great. CO is always my saving grace when it comes to these huge disappointments. I'm getting the sense he's not so happy about it. Now I know it really does blow.

The Pronger thing was funny though!

Breck Bronc
06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
This whole thing is so convoluted. We've got people all over the net posting stuff from the CBA that shows the bonuses shouldn't have counted on this year's cap. There's so much confusion and it appears the Avs front office is just as confused as its fans. Iím not even sure who I should be mad at, though Lacroix seems to be the leading candidate (and Iíll always hate Gary Bettman).

I'm beyond disillusioned with the league right now. Since 2004-'05 there's been an entire season cancelled and our franchise has lost Forsberg, Foote, Kariya, Selanne, Tanguay and probably Blake. I'm so glad I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on NHL tickets, merchandise and Center Ice over the years. What a way to treat loyal fans.

On the bright side, at least we're not in danger of losing the team to another city. Now's the time to see who the real hockey fans are in this city, because it doesn't look like we'll be making the playoffs this season (unless Sakic plays like it's 1996 and Theodore goes out and wins 40 for Paris). This is the moment many Avalanche detractors have been hoping and wishing for.

Good thing DU looks to have a strong team this year and will be hosting an NCAA Regional.

Jori
06-28-2006, 09:48 PM
This whole thing is so convoluted. We've got people all over the net posting stuff from the CBA that shows the bonuses shouldn't have counted on this year's cap. There's so much confusion and it appears the Avs front office is just as confused as its fans. Iím not even sure who I should be mad at, though Lacroix seems to be the leading candidate (and Iíll always hate Gary Bettman).

I'm beyond disillusioned with the league right now. Since 2004-'05 there's been an entire season cancelled and our franchise has lost Forsberg, Foote, Kariya, Selanne, Tanguay and probably Blake. I'm so glad I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on NHL tickets, merchandise and Center Ice over the years. What a way to treat loyal fans.

On the bright side, at least we're not in danger of losing the team to another city. Now's the time to see who the real hockey fans are in this city, because it doesn't look like we'll be making the playoffs this season (unless Sakic plays like it's 1996 and Theodore goes out and wins 40 for Paris). This is the moment many Avalanche detractors have been hoping and wishing for.

Good thing DU looks to have a strong team this year and will be hosting an NCAA Regional.
It's why I bought a Pioneer Power Pack today....better chance of getting tickets to the regional in 07 and the FF in 08.

Tredici
06-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Not being able to manage a team under cap constraints may finally be Pierre's downfall. Anyone think it's coincidence he's posturing on surrending the reins at this point?

Jori
06-28-2006, 10:16 PM
A lot of people believe that Lacroix stepped down because he couldn't handle the "new NHL." During his presser, Lacroix said that he planned on stepping down more then a year ago. Pierre's track record hasn't been great since the Blake trade. He's admitted on more then one occasion that it was harder to find trade partners (Pierre used the term dance partners). I don't mind the new blood, but Lacroix has certainly put Giguere in a precarious position.

Breck Bronc
06-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Jori, do you know when the Avalanche prospect camp is being held? I've never been to one and figure I might as well check out our future now that the present doesn't look too hot. Is it usually held at Family Fun Center?

SoCalBronco
06-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Article Launched: 06/28/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

terry frei
Avs need to make big deal
By Terry Frei
Denver Post Staff Columnist

What next?

If the Avalanche dramatically uses salary cap room freed up by Alex Tanguay's trade to Calgary for defenseman Jordan Leopold and two second-round draft choices, the weekend deal will be defensible. Otherwise, it's shaky.

A trade for Edmonton's disgruntled Chris Pronger or the landing of an elite unrestricted free agent after the signing period opens Saturday would justify banishing Tanguay. Not much else would.

The caveat: The salary cap makes this tricky. New Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere and those around him will have to be ingenious to pull off anything but the 2005-06 status quo - minus Tanguay. But they have to at least try.

On the same day the Avalanche announced that it was picking up Antti Laaksonen's option and had re-signed Ossi Vaananen to a one-year deal, the league and its players association Tuesday announced the ceiling for next season would be $44 million, an increase of $5 million from 2005-06.

Let's plug Pronger in as the example, but it could be any elite player.

It would strain the cap budget to have Joe Sakic ($5.75 million), Pronger ($6.25 million), Rob Blake and Jose Theodore (with a cap number of $5.3 million as the average of his three-year deal) taking up roughly half of the available payroll. (Theodore's cap figure is the riskiest part of the deal for the enigmatic goalie who is spending the offseason in the tabloids and on "Inside Edition.")

And that's even before the twin $2.3 million bonus payments to Sakic and Blake, due in 2006-07 as part of the contracts they signed in 2001, come into play. Because of the bonus, Sakic will eat up more than $8 million of the Avalanche's cap space next season. Even if Blake, who could be an unrestricted free agent Saturday, leaves, the Avs will be paying him that $2.3 million bonus, and it will count against the cap for 2006-07.

It's all intertwined. NHL deals no longer can be evaluated solely on this-for-that comparisons, but in the context of the salary cap and subsequent moves. That's why the Avalanche trade of Tanguay can be conditionally defended.

(The deal also should further dispel the notion that French-Canadian favoritism affects Avalanche moves. The Avs have traded one of the league's top French-Canadian players, one who was raised speaking French in Quebec and learned English as a second language, for an American-born defenseman who won the Hobey Baker Award at the University of Minnesota as U.S. college hockey's top player.)

Short-term judgments come with those qualifications, ones that go beyond the issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

of whether Leopold - an offensive-minded defenseman who was restrained in the "my way or the highway" system of Calgary coach Darryl Sutter - can be rejuvenated in Colorado; or whether the second-round draft picks provide the Avs with stars. The Avs used the first of those picks Saturday to take Brandon Wheat Kings center Codey Burki.
Bottom line: The Avalanche was convinced Tanguay wasn't going to deliver a superstar's performance for what soon might become a superstar's salary, especially if he goes to arbitration. Vinny Lecavalier of Tampa Bay is the same age, 26, and will make $7.1 million next season, and that would have been one of the benchmarks in arbitration arguments. And Tanguay could be an unrestricted free agent next year.

But the Avs overreacted.

Tanguay needed to produce in the series against Anaheim for the Avalanche to have a chance, and he was awful. Many times, it has been as if he skated up to the line of stardom, put a toe over it and found he couldn't handle the pressure and stepped back.

But banishing him? That asks us to forget that the Avalanche for years has been billing Tanguay both as a member of that vaunted "core" and as one of the young players who needed to be kept at all costs - including allowing Peter Forsberg to exit, stage left. This deal could come back to haunt the Avalanche as much as, and more so, than the 2002 shipping of Chris Drury to...where did he go? Oh, yeah, Calgary. It's been fashionable to knock Tanguay as the product of playing with Sakic or Forsberg in the past, but playing with the Flames' Jarome Iginla on the other wing isn't going to help Tanguay now?

It was worth the risk to keep Tanguay around for another season.

Unless the Avalanche has some bombshells to drop in the next few weeks.

Staff writer Terry Frei can be reached at 303-820-1895 or tfrei@denverpost.com.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3987271

Breck Bronc
06-29-2006, 12:50 AM
What a miserable year.

SoCalBronco
06-29-2006, 01:00 AM
I think you guys will be fine. Even with those bonuses, you guys still have what, 12 million to play with? There's some cash there to improve your team. And you guys are already pretty good. Alot of good young players like Svatos, Liles, Leopold, and good vets like Lapierriere etc. its just a matter of keeping people healthy. That was a big problem, and you guys still overcame it to get into the dance and beat one of the best teams in the league. The Avs cap situation would appear to be quite bright for the future, guys like Sakic and Blake won't be there more than 2 years anyway, and that is about the time Theodore's deal expires too.

Breck Bronc
06-29-2006, 01:05 AM
I think you guys will be fine. Even with those bonuses, you guys still have what, 12 million to play with? There's some cash there to improve your team. And you guys are already pretty good. Alot of good young players like Svatos, Liles, Laperriere, its just a matter of keeping people healthy. That was a big problem, and you guys still overcame it to get into the dance and beat one of the best teams in the league. The Avs cap situation would appear to be quite bright for the future, guys like Sakic and Blake won't be there more than 2 years anyway, and that is about the time Theodore's deal expires too.We'll probably be a .500 team that won't make the playoffs because we play 32 games against the best division in hockey.

Coming back to the pack was bound to happen after winning 9 division titles in a row, I just don't like the way it's happened with the new CBA.

watermock
06-29-2006, 01:08 AM
So when did Smilin' Thomas take over the AV's? They are morphing into the Knickerbockers!

Breck Bronc
06-29-2006, 01:20 AM
So when did Smilin' Thomas take over the AV's? They are morphing into the Knickerbockers!Who are the AV's, you drunken ******.

Clockwork Orange
06-29-2006, 02:07 AM
What a miserable year.

Nah, it's more of a mediocre year than a miserable year. A miserable year at least comes with high draft picks. A mediocre year comes with middle of the pack draft picks.

I hope the Avs will take this as a sign that they need to take a step back for a year, play the youngsters, get some higher draft picks, further replenish the farm system and get out from under the cap mess they've made for themselves. All of that can be accomplished by taking a step back for one season. No band aids, no quick fixes, just run with what you got and take whatever comes your way.

I'll take that over them battling it out for a spot in the middle of the pack any day.

Jori
06-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Jori, do you know when the Avalanche prospect camp is being held? I've never been to one and figure I might as well check out our future now that the present doesn't look too hot. Is it usually held at Family Fun Center?
As far as I know, the Avs have never had a prospects game during the summer. They usually have a small rookie camp about the week before training camp at Family Sports. It always ticked me off that the Avs never had some kind of prospects camp or a draft party. When it comes to following prospects, the Avs never make it easy.

I plan on taking some time off to go to camp this year and check out Stewart and Burki.

alkemical
06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Everyone did that last offseason and you guys ended up with the 2nd worst record in the league.

Yeah but that problem is now gone.

On paper they looked good - and they will be much different this year. Even a caps fan has to admit that.

Jori
06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Canucks lock up Luongo

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170025&hubname=nhl

4 years/ 27 million---6.75 per year cap hit

WABronco
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Canucks lock up Luongo

Whewww...

That was a whole lot easier than I thought it'd be.

Bronx33
06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Canucks lock up Luongo

Iam not sold on reberto but we will see, he seems to be a goal tender that relies alot his defense and the nucks D is average at best but they may address it as well.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
On paper they looked good - and they will be much different this year. Even a caps fan has to admit that.

Yeah, they looked much better on paper last year than they currently do. Malkin is still a complete unknown until he plays in the NHL. Last year it was Mario, Recchi, Ziggy, and hopefully a Crosby that would live up to the hype. This year it's an established Crosby, some expected progression from the other young guys, and a Malkin that will hopefully live up to his rep as the best player outside the NHL.

Jori
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Looks like Redden is staying in Ottawa

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170030&hubname=

2 years/ 13 million

Jori
06-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Free agency period starts July 1st at 12:00 PM EST

alkemical
06-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah, they looked much better on paper last year than they currently do. Malkin is still a complete unknown until he plays in the NHL. Last year it was Mario, Recchi, Ziggy, and hopefully a Crosby that would live up to the hype. This year it's an established Crosby, some expected progression from the other young guys, and a Malkin that will hopefully live up to his rep as the best player outside the NHL.

Rechhi did play well for the team and palffy until he retired was a 1pt/game player. Mario was too brittle. Gonchar did play well at the last half of the year.

I say they fight for the 8th spot.

Jori
06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Stars buyout Guerin

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/nhl/dallas_stars/14931735.htm

They should have done this last year when there wouldn't have been a cap hit. They'll take a cap hit of about 2.2 million per year for the next two years.

bronco militia
06-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see him in Colorado

Breck Bronc
06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
As far as I know, the Avs have never had a prospects game during the summer. They usually have a small rookie camp about the week before training camp at Family Sports. It always ticked me off that the Avs never had some kind of prospects camp or a draft party. When it comes to following prospects, the Avs never make it easy.

I plan on taking some time off to go to camp this year and check out Stewart and Burki.I just assumed they had a prospects camp in the summer like most other teams. In 2004 I went to a couple of days of the Florida Panthers prospect camp and saw Chris Stewart's brother, Anthony.

Jori
06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see him in Colorado
Doubtful. The Avs wont have the cap room and the last thing we need is to add a guy that disapears in the playoffs.

SoCalBronco
06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Rechhi did play well for the team and palffy until he retired was a 1pt/game player. Mario was too brittle. Gonchar did play well at the last half of the year.

I say they fight for the 8th spot.

I just read that FSN Pittsburgh fired Mike Lange. But I guess he was offered the radio job. Yet, Errey still has a job.

How is this even possible?

I was just getting used to all of his special phrases and stuff last year on Center Ice. The guy is a legend, you can't just fire him.

Damn.

Tredici
06-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Doubtful. The Avs wont have the cap room and the last thing we need is to add a guy that disapears in the playoffs.

I always kinda liked old Bill. He wears such a good jersey number. Thought it would be nice if the Avs would've made a run when he ended up going to Dallas. Watching how ineffective he's been there made me glad it didn't happen in Colo. Sometimes a team really does know when it's time to cut the ties. One of the better jobs Boston has done lately.

24champ
06-29-2006, 09:51 PM
What a joke JR is....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2224

alkemical
06-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I just read that FSN Pittsburgh fired Mike Lange. But I guess he was offered the radio job. Yet, Errey still has a job.

How is this even possible?

I was just getting used to all of his special phrases and stuff last year on Center Ice. The guy is a legend, you can't just fire him.

Damn.

I love Mike Lange man, he's great. He's a good hockey man, a good play by play guy and he's not afraid to tell you when the pens suck.

Clockwork Orange
06-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Well, at least someone in the media is attempting to take the Avs to task for their bungling of the salary cap.

Adrian Dater's latest column. (http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3996578)

Something I found completely unsurprising:

The Avs said Giguere was unavailable Thursday for comment

If you're waiting for anyone in the organization to admit to their screw ups on this matter, grab a Snickers because you won't be going anywhere for a while. It's amazing to see the way they've bent themselves over when they should have been a team with a large chunk of cap space to spend this offseason. Let's review.

Gave two year deals to old and mostly worthless players Breezeby, Turgeon & May. Having them on the team a year ago was bad enough, but every last one of them got two year deals. Had they all been given one year deals (the ones they seem to like to give to actual useful players like Svatos, Vaananen & Liles) the Avs would have saved $4.425 million on this years cap, or just about an amount that would have offset the deferred bonuses to Sakic & Blake.

Running total of cap space wasted: $4.425 million

Speaking of which, there's those pesky deferred bonuses that are now biting the Avs in the rear. I don't know how on earth they failed to prepare for this or even find a way around it, but the fact of the matter is that about 11% of the team's total cap for the year is now basically tied up in this dead money.

Running total of cap space wasted: $9.025 million.

Then there's Jose Theodore, the guy Lacroix just had to have. Forget for a minute that his performance before the trade was poor. No, focus on what he did once he got here and ask yourself this, did he do anything that David Aebischer couldn't or wouldn't have done? The answer, in my opinion, is no. He is going to do something this year that Aebischer wouldn't or couldn't have done, though. He's going to count $5.33 million against the cap. It's obvious that Quenneville didn't like Aebischer, fine. Why not let him play out the season and then just fail to qualify him and let him become a UFA? You save the cap space and you've got plenty of $$ available to find a suitable replacement. Nope, Lacroix wanted Theodore and his fat contract, so that's what we've got. A goaltender who's performed no better than the guy he replaced, but eats up considerably more cap space. Brilliant.

Final total of cap space wasted: $14.355 million.

That would have given the Avs the flexibility to be major players on the free agent market. But through bad decisions and flat out incompetance, all of that has been squandered. It appears as though Skrastins & Hinote will both be playing elsewhere next season and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see Rob Blake signing with someone else as well. The Avs are in a situation where they've got $12 million in cap space to fill 9 roster spots. Call me a skeptic, but I don't see them making any vast improvements to the team with such limited resources. And they've got no one to blame but themselves.

Time for a rebuilding year guys. I know, I keep saying that and I'm going to keep saying it. The band-aid approach they took last year when they signed the likes of Breezeby, Turgeon & May and traded for Theodore didn't bring them anything but a big salary cap burden. No more stopgaps, go with youth, a year from now the bonuses will be gone as well as the contracts of the first three (Theodore has one more year at $5.33 million left after this one), get some quality draft picks and continue to rebuild from within. It looks like the only viable option to me at this point. If anyone's got any better ideas, I'm all ears.

Killericon
06-30-2006, 02:17 AM
What a joke JR is....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2224

Watch him score 20 goals on a losing team, and then think he's conquered everest.

Jori
06-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Should be a busy day today.

Lidstrom resigns with Detroit.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170096&hubname=

Two years, 7.6 million per season

Laffs will buy out Dummy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170091&hubname=

Jori
06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
The Sedin Sisters each get three year deals valued at 10.75 million. That's about a cap hit of 3.583 million per brother each year for the next three years.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060630_102403_5592

alkemical
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
that's alot of jack for the sedin's -

24champ
06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Watch him score 20 goals on a losing team, and then think he's conquered everest.
What grinds my gears is that he admits that he didnt have enough motivation to play last year with the kings, now 5 million dollars isnt enough motivation? What a joke.

bronco militia
06-30-2006, 10:51 AM

he's getting bought out, so offer him a one year deal after he clears waivers.

Jori
06-30-2006, 11:00 AM
I really hope they don't sign Guerin. He's 35 years old, the Avs have to think about getting younger.

Nuggets4
06-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I've learned that it's best to do what Jori and CO say.

I'm for the youth movement.

alkemical
06-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Too bad you guys dont' have money for elias. I am hoping he goes to the yotes though.

alkemical
06-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Craig patrick is also looking for a GM job.

bronco militia
06-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I really hope they don't sign Guerin. He's 35 years old, the Avs have to think about getting younger.

true...I just thought it made some sense with former Dullass GM Giguere and also to get a half way decent veteran for less than market value....

despite his playoff woes, IMO he's an upgrade over anyone the avs signed last offseason (May, Breezeby, Turgeon)

bronco militia
06-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I've learned that it's best to do what Jori and CO say.

I'm for the youth movement.

that's why you should stick with basketball...go back to nuggpuppy, newbie!

;D

Jori
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Guerin isn't really a need in terms of position. What the Avs need is a center, and somebody like Arnott would have been a nice fit, but with the news about these bonuses counting agaisnt the Cap, the Avs wont be a player in the free agent market. I have a feeling that they will lose either Skrastins or Blake, perhaps both. Hinote may be gone as well.

We have a trade....Marc Denis to Tampa Bay for Fredrik Modin and Fredrik Norrena.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170103&hubname=

Good trade for Columbus. They have a nice young goaltender in Pascal Leclaire; Modin will be a nice fit for them.

Bronx33
06-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Guerin isn't really a need in terms of position. What the Avs need is a center, and somebody like Arnott would have been a nice fit, but with the news about these bonuses counting agaisnt the Cap, the Avs wont be a player in the free agent market. I have a feeling that they will lose either Skrastins or Blake, perhaps both. Hinote may be gone as well.

We have a trade....Marc Denis to Tampa Bay for Fredrik Modin and Fredrik Norrena.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170103&hubname=

Good trade for Columbus. They have a nice young goaltender in Pascal Leclaire; Modin will be a nice fit for them.

We have been in need of a power forward since deadmarsh left i have no idea why we never replaced deader with someone seviceable at the forward position.

Jori
06-30-2006, 12:04 PM
We have been in need of a power forward since deadmarsh left i have no idea why we never replaced deader with someone seviceable at the forward position.
I think Chris Stewart will prove to be the guy that will fill that Deadmarsh void. It's going to take him a few years before he'll be a NHL regular, but he'll be worth the wait. It's Stew to the rescue ^5

Bronx33
06-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I think Chris Stewart will prove to be the guy that will fill that Deadmarsh void. It's going to take him a few years before he'll be a NHL regular, but he'll be worth the wait. It's Stew to the rescue ^5

Don't forget about ryan stoa, hopefully one of them pans out in the future.

Nuggets4
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
that's why you should stick with basketball...go back to nuggpuppy, newbie!

;D

*retreats with tail between legs*

Hey, I'll openly admit that hockey is my weakest sport knowledge-wise of the big 3. That said, one thing I don't get is the Theodore bashing going on. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. I thought he played really well in the Dallas series and I expect that from him this season (provided he's not on the DL with ghonorrhea -- er, a "concussion"). Isn't his contract up after this season anyway?

24champ
06-30-2006, 02:26 PM
The Kings have given qualifying offers to keep forwards Sean Avery, Eric Belanger, Dustin Brown, Michael Cammalleri, goaltender Mathieu Garon and defensemen Tim Gleason and Mike Weaver ó all restricted free agents.

per LA times. I know I know Av fans REALLY wanted Avery.:spit:

Jori
06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Avs have re-signed Skrastins and Clark to multi-year deals. No word yet on terms. Story is on the Avs website.

Tredici
06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Lookin grim for Blake and my Number 13....

Jori
06-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Denver Post reports that Skrastins has received a 3 year/ 7.2 million dollar deal; Clark has received a 2 year/ 3 million dollar deal. That's 2.4 million dollar cap hit per year for Skrastins, 1.5 for Clark. Say good bye to Rob Blake.

Clockwork Orange
06-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Denver Post reports that Skrastins has received a 3 year/ 7.2 million dollar deal; Clark has received a 2 year/ 3 million dollar deal. That's 2.4 million dollar cap hit per year for Skrastins, 1.5 for Clark. Say good bye to Rob Blake.

That leaves $8.1 million for the Avs to fill 7 roster spots.

You said it right, bye bye Blakey.

Clockwork Orange
06-30-2006, 05:07 PM
So the Avs defense corps is Skrastins, Liles, Leopold, Clark, Vaananen, Breezeby & Sauer. Funny, ever since they were eliminated we've all been talking about how the Avs needed to upgrade their defense. Due to their own screw ups, they've actually downgraded. The only change made was swapping Blake for Leopold, a step down no matter which way you slice it.

Another question is who's the Avs 2nd line center? Wolski? He's listed as a LW, but he played C during his MVP campaign in Brampton as well as when he came to the Avs for the postseason.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's any chance that they might try to sign one of their college prospects like Paul Stastny or TJ Hensick to step in and fill a spot.

Tredici
06-30-2006, 05:13 PM
JFC.

What was the reason to commit to Blake last year instead of Foote?

Two seasons and already in cap hell. Excellent.

Clockwork Orange
06-30-2006, 05:20 PM
JFC.

What was the reason to commit to Blake last year instead of Foote?

Two seasons and already in cap hell. Excellent.

Some of us were begging them to buy out Blake when they had the chance last year. Foote or Forsberg would still be here if they had, but once again, they made a poor choice and now you can add Blake to the list of cap casualties that includes the aforementioned Forsberg & Foote as well as Alex Tanguay.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Breck Bronc
06-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Some of us were begging them to buy out Blake when they had the chance last year. Foote or Forsberg would still be here if they had, but once again, they made a poor choice and now you can add Blake to the list of cap casualties that includes the aforementioned Forsberg & Foote as well as Alex Tanguay.

It's a sad state of affairs.Would Blake's bonus have been triggered on last year's cap had they bought him out?

It sounds like we'd have been better off not declining the 2006-'07 options on Sakic and Blake last year.

I'd like to know who the Avalanche cap guy is and when they knew the 4.6 million bonus money would count against the cap.

Mtbrncofn
06-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, at least someone in the media is attempting to take the Avs to task for their bungling of the salary cap.

Adrian Dater's latest column. (http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3996578)

Something I found completely unsurprising:

The Avs said Giguere was unavailable Thursday for comment

If you're waiting for anyone in the organization to admit to their screw ups on this matter, grab a Snickers because you won't be going anywhere for a while. It's amazing to see the way they've bent themselves over when they should have been a team with a large chunk of cap space to spend this offseason. Let's review.

Gave two year deals to old and mostly worthless players Breezeby, Turgeon & May. Having them on the team a year ago was bad enough, but every last one of them got two year deals. Had they all been given one year deals (the ones they seem to like to give to actual useful players like Svatos, Vaananen & Liles) the Avs would have saved $4.425 million on this years cap, or just about an amount that would have offset the deferred bonuses to Sakic & Blake.

Running total of cap space wasted: $4.425 million

Speaking of which, there's those pesky deferred bonuses that are now biting the Avs in the rear. I don't know how on earth they failed to prepare for this or even find a way around it, but the fact of the matter is that about 11% of the team's total cap for the year is now basically tied up in this dead money.

Running total of cap space wasted: $9.025 million.

Then there's Jose Theodore, the guy Lacroix just had to have. Forget for a minute that his performance before the trade was poor. No, focus on what he did once he got here and ask yourself this, did he do anything that David Aebischer couldn't or wouldn't have done? The answer, in my opinion, is no. He is going to do something this year that Aebischer wouldn't or couldn't have done, though. He's going to count $5.33 million against the cap. It's obvious that Quenneville didn't like Aebischer, fine. Why not let him play out the season and then just fail to qualify him and let him become a UFA? You save the cap space and you've got plenty of $$ available to find a suitable replacement. Nope, Lacroix wanted Theodore and his fat contract, so that's what we've got. A goaltender who's performed no better than the guy he replaced, but eats up considerably more cap space. Brilliant.

Final total of cap space wasted: $14.355 million.

That would have given the Avs the flexibility to be major players on the free agent market. But through bad decisions and flat out incompetance, all of that has been squandered. It appears as though Skrastins & Hinote will both be playing elsewhere next season and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see Rob Blake signing with someone else as well. The Avs are in a situation where they've got $12 million in cap space to fill 9 roster spots. Call me a skeptic, but I don't see them making any vast improvements to the team with such limited resources. And they've got no one to blame but themselves.

Time for a rebuilding year guys. I know, I keep saying that and I'm going to keep saying it. The band-aid approach they took last year when they signed the likes of Breezeby, Turgeon & May and traded for Theodore didn't bring them anything but a big salary cap burden. No more stopgaps, go with youth, a year from now the bonuses will be gone as well as the contracts of the first three (Theodore has one more year at $5.33 million left after this one), get some quality draft picks and continue to rebuild from within. It looks like the only viable option to me at this point. If anyone's got any better ideas, I'm all ears.

Hinote and Blake!!?!! Noooooooooo!! ****in Pierre. You're on my list, buddy. I'm really beyond bummed. If Hinote and Blake go, there go 2 more of my jerseys. Geez. This reallys sucks ass.

WABronco
06-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Vancouver re-ups the Sedin twins for 3 years.

Yesssss...

Nuggets4
06-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Hinote and Blake!!?!! Noooooooooo!! ****in Pierre. You're on my list, buddy. I'm really beyond bummed. If Hinote and Blake go, there go 2 more of my jerseys. Geez. This reallys sucks ass.

I don't think Pierre knew he was in trouble until MT pulled him off of her Xmas card list. ;)

Pendejo
06-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Vancouver re-ups the Sedin twins for 3 years.

Yesssss...

I guess that's great news for Cafvck fans...Mary Kate and Ashley have re-signed.

As far as the Avs go...they had a hell of a 10 year stretch...but they were obviously deficient in certain areas. Detroit makes big deals at the deadline, but still have several of their draftees on their team, and they're not getting fvcked by the cap.

The 'Diques were on their way BEFORE they moved to Denver. Lacroix made the great deal for Roy, but other than that his trades have been completely suspect. The Blake deal got them over the hump...but it cost them severely. For all of Pierre's maneuvering and the talent they had on the roster...they only won two cups. It's horrible to say, but the Avs should have won at least one or two more.

Time to take the lumps...and let the kids develop. In two or three years they'll be right back there. Next season is going to be ugly though. I still really like the Leopold trade. Tanguay almost made me chew my own tongue on several occasions. I think he's one of the most talented players in the league, but he's never been able to put it all together.

Watching Tanger was like watching Tony Gwynn eat himself into retirement...a la...What the fvck are these guys doing?

WABronco
06-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I guess that's great news for Cafvck fans...Mary Kate and Ashley have re-signed.
All right, you guys need to come up with one moniker and stick with it. Some are good...and some just aren't.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Wonder if McPhee is going to take someone's problem contract off somebody on the cheap? Caps have to spend a bit to get up to the floor, helps that Ovechkin (and Backstrom if he signs) will both count for $3.9M b/c of the rookie bonus clauses.

Mtbrncofn
06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't think Pierre knew he was in trouble until MT pulled him off of her Xmas card list. ;)

Ha! Oh I'd still send him one, but there sure as hell wouldn't be anything merry about it.

Mtbrncofn
06-30-2006, 09:21 PM
All right, you guys need to come up with one moniker and stick with it. Some are good...and some just aren't.

We've got a ton of originals. Stick around! ;D

Clockwork Orange
06-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Fernando Pisani re-signs with Edmonton (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170154&hubname=)

4 years, $8 million.

SoCalBronco
06-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Denver Nuggets' George Karl is latest star in bidding for Penguins
Saturday, July 01, 2006

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

David Zalubowski, Associated Press
George Karl: Willing to match his civic pride with money.
Click photo for larger image.

Andy Murstein isn't the only Penguins bidder who has recruited a famous native son and hopes to keep the hockey club in town.

While Murstein, president of Medallion Corp. in New York, has added billionaire Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and former Pitt and Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino to his group, Ohio businessman Jim Renacci has recruited Denver Nuggets coach George Karl.

Karl, a Penn Hills native and longtime basketball coach, told the Denver Post yesterday that he would invest about 10 percent if Renacci's bid is accepted. That could add up to $15 million or more, considering the winning offer for the Penguins is expected to top $150 million.

"I love Pittsburgh. I'm proud of just being a Pittsburgh person," Karl said. "We're just trying to keep the civic pride of Pittsburgh, and if we can help it by being business partners, we'll do it."

Karl said he and Renacci have known each other for years and have been business partners on various ventures. The two currently are involved in a Harley Davidson dealership and a golf course, both in Columbus, Ohio.

Karl said he wouldn't get involved in Penguins operations, at least not until he retires from coaching, but wanted to join Renacci to help financially and in public relations.

"For me, it's exciting that it looks like we're going to keep the Penguins in town, whether it's [Murstein's] group or whoever," said Karl, who certainly isn't getting involved out of passion for the game.

"I've never understood hockey. I've never played hockey. People tell me it's a lot like fastbreak basketball and power basketball because they throw it in front of the net and try to tip it in. I just know when I watch the [Colorado Avalanche] play and I watch the Stanley Cup [playoffs], it seemed a lot speedier."

Renacci, who grew up in the Mon Valley, is the mayor of Wadsworth, Ohio, near Akron, has a stake in several other companies and owns the Columbus Destroyers of Arena Football. He would probably keep his stake in that team if he buys the Penguins.

A Steelers season ticket holder, Renacci has said his goal is to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. He could not be reached.

Murstein, who is believed to be lining up additional local investors, is known to have made a formal bid to Allen and Company of New York, which is brokering the sale and could begin paring the number of bidders next week.

Marino, who grew up in Oakland, is expected to make a six-figure investment if Murstein's bid wins out. Cuban is expected to invest significantly more, but would still be a minority owner and wouldn't be heavily involved in day-to-day operations.

Also on Murstein's team is Shadyside real-estate firm Walnut Capital.

Other players in the Penguins' sale process include Hartford businessman Sam Fingold, who has ties to Kansas City, and Boston area businessman Lawrence Gottesdiener, who might explore moving the Penguins to Hartford if they don't get a deal for a new arena.

Hollywood producer Jerry Bruckheimer might also have some interest, and the owners of the minor-league Manitoba Moose have said they will pursue the Penguins if there comes a time when the team could freely be moved to Winnipeg.

Anyone who buys the Penguins is bound to the club's agreement with Isle of Capri, a gaming company that is one of three finalists for the city's slots license.

If Isle of Capri gets the license, it will donate $290 million for a new facility to replace outdated Mellon Arena, and the Penguins will be staying. If not, there is a plan for a new arena outlined by Gov. Ed Rendell, but new owners would not be bound to it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06182/702645-61.stm

Clockwork Orange
06-30-2006, 10:27 PM
File that under, "Did not see that one coming."

Nuggets4
07-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Denver Nuggets' George Karl is latest star in bidding for Penguins

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Jori
07-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Last thing the Avs need is a spy in their midst.

Clockwork Orange
07-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Last thing the Avs need is a spy in their midst.

A spy might have a better understanding of the salary cap than the Avs front office.

At this point, it's worth a shot.

Clockwork Orange
07-01-2006, 10:04 AM
It's noon EST. The market is officially open for business.

Clockwork Orange
07-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Jamie Langenbrunner re-signs with New Jersey. (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060701_114342_5076)

Jori
07-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Roloson re-signs with the Oilers; 3 year deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170193&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Habs re-sign Francis Bouillon; 3 years @ 1.875

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/207480.html

Jori
07-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Canes resign Mike Commodore; 2 years/ 2.5 million

http://rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/207472.html

Clockwork Orange
07-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Canes sign Eric Staal to a new deal. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170173&hubname=)

3 years, $13.5 million.

Jori
07-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Preds re-sign goaltender Chris Mason; 2 years/ 2.5 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170197&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Sportsnet.ca reports that Roloson will receive 11 million over 3 years; that's a 3.66 million dollar cap hit per year.

Jori
07-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Rangers sign defenseman Karel Rachunek.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170199&hubname=nhl

Brent Johnson re-signs with the Caps.

http://rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/207490.html

SoCalBronco
07-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I always keep checking in, hoping to see a CO or Jori post saying "Jay McKee signs with Pittsburgh".

Jori
07-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Columbus signs Anders Eriksson (1 year/ 600,000), Alexander Svitov (1 year/ 450,000), Jaroslav Balastik (1 year/ 525,000) and Kris Russell (3rd round draft pick from 2005).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170200&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I always keep checking in, hoping to see a CO or Jori post saying "Jay McKee signs with Pittsburgh".
lol....if it happens...I'll post it :thumbsup:

Mtbrncofn
07-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Please, please....something good happen for us today. :pray:

Jori
07-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Scott Mellanby re-signs with Atlanta; 1 year/ 1 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170208&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Lightning sign Nikita Alexeev

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170210&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Apparently Fan 590 in Toronto is reporting that Chara has signed with the Kings; I'm waiting for a more reliable source.

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:05 PM
So much for Fan 590....TSN is reporting that Chara has signed with the Boston Bruins; 5 years @ 7.5 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170211&hubname=nhl

Mtbrncofn
07-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Whoa, the B's, huh?

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Jovanovski signs a 5 year deal with the Coyotes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170212&hubname=nhl

WABronco
07-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Jovanovski signs a 5 year deal with the Coyotes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170212&hubname=nhl
Zuhhhhhhhh?

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:22 PM
5 years/ 32.5 million for Jovo...wow

Mtbrncofn
07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Wow! Thought he was headed to Florida. That's a fat contract.

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
TSN.ca is reporting that the Laffs have signed Pavel Kubina to a 4 year/ 20 million dollar deal.

Big named defenseman are starting to go.

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Some rumors right now have Blake going back to LA and Denver's own John Grahame signing with the Hurricanes. Gerber to Detroit is a strong possibility.

Killericon
07-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Holy crap....talk about fast and furious.

Please.....Daryll, bring Marc Savard back to Calgary! *Drools at the concept of an Iginla-Savard-Tanguay line*

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Bruins are busy!

They have signed Marc Savard to a 5 year/ 20 million dollar deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170214&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Grahame to Carolina looks to be official...2 years @ 1.4 million

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes?title=canes_pick_grahame_as_no_2_goalie&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

That's pretty much a confirmation that Gerber is gone.

TSN is now reporting the Grahame signing as well.

Mtbrncofn
07-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Some rumors right now have Blake going back to LA

Boooooo! Those asshat fans don't deserve him. This hurts.

Jori
07-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Scott Thornton signs with the Kings 2 years/ 3 million per TSN.

Jori
07-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Laffs sign Hal Gill per TSN

3 years/ 6.3 million

Jori
07-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Rangers getting into the party.

They have signed Matt Cullen to a multi-year deal--per Sportsnet

Breck Bronc
07-01-2006, 03:03 PM
We sign Tyler Arnasson. Just great. ROFL! Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Jori
07-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Avs sign Tyler Arnason to a one-year deal.

That's great...let's sign a lazy slug...good job Francois!

Breck Bronc
07-01-2006, 03:13 PM
So we're adding Leopold and Arnason and losing Blake, Tanguay, Dowd and Hinote. Clearly a step down for a team that barely made the playoffs (though another team that barely made the playoffs was 1 game from winning the Cup).

Arnason has talent, that's for sure. If there's any way they can get him to actually work hard to get into good shape we might have a decent player. Maybe the fact that he was a postseason scratch with Ottawa will wake him up.

The Avs are going to have to bank on a lot of maybe's this season; maybe Svatos will stay injury free, maybe Theodore will play like the goalie he used to be, maybe Leopold will make the leap to stardom without Sutter as his coach, maybe Wolski will put up a Calder-type season, maybe Sakic will get back to form 1 year after the lockout, maybe Hejduk will be better now that's he's completely healthy, etc.

Jori
07-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Lightning sign Andy Delmore and Andreas Karlsson to one year deals--per Sportsnet

Jori
07-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Sharks sign Curtis Brown--per TSN

Jori
07-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Two more years for Osgood in Detroit

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170226&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Arnason signed for 950,000 according to TSN

watermock
07-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Obviously the srike worked.

I predict a huge showdown soon. The NFL's commitment to national games again was eroded with NFL.com and Sunday Ticket yet alone ESPN. They have quietly adjusted that policy to now have national TV games on cable stations that are not even nationally televised on cable, yet alone Direct TV.

Jori
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Flyers sign Nolan Baumgartner and Lars Jonsson

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170232&hubname=nhl

Caps sign Brian Pothier to a four year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170231&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Canucks sign Willie Mitchell; 4 years/ 14 million--per Sportsnet

Jori
07-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Flames sign defenseman Andrei Zyuzin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170236&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Avs pretty much confirming that Blake wont be back.

"I'm pretty sure you'll see Rob with another team next year," Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere told The Post today.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4003240

Jori
07-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Rumors have McKee heading to St Louis

Jori
07-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Senators sign Gerber

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170244&hubname=nhl

I guess Detroit is going the trade route to improve their goaltending.

Jori
07-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Blues re-sign Dallas Drake and sign Jay McKee. With Brewer, Jackman, McKee and Johnson, that could be a nice top four within a few years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170243&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Senators sign Joe Corvo; 4 years/ 10.5 million--per Sportsnet

SoCalBronco
07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Son of a bitch. Get off your ****ing ass, Ray. You already cost us JJ with your unbelievable arrogance and greed. McKee would have been perfect for us and even with Malkin's expected salary, we are 6 million under the ****ing minimum. McKee would have been ****ing perfect.

Get off your ass you POS!! I'm tired of this ****ing ****. Your 6 million under the ****ing minimum.

WABronco
07-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Flyers sign Nolan Baumgartner and Lars Jonsson

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170232&hubname=nhl

DAMNIT!

Baumergartner was solid...

I guess Willie Mitchell makes up for the loss though.

Jori
07-01-2006, 06:07 PM
It's official now...Rob Blake is gone and has returned to the LA Kings; two years /12 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170251&hubname=nhl

Tredici
07-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Nice for Blakie.

Bad for Avies.

Jori
07-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Chicago signs Patrick Lalime; 1 year/ 700,000

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170252&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Wild sign Mark Parrish to a five year deal; 2.65 @ 5 years

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170253&hubname=nhl

Every team in the Northwest seems to be getting better except...

Clockwork Orange
07-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Nothing surprising about today's events. The Avs have painted themselves into a corner and this is the end result. Thanks for everything, Blakey.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Caps sign Brian Pothier to a four year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170231&hubname=nhl

Young, learned under Chara and Redden, and only wanted $2M a year. Can't beat that.

Jori
07-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Thrashers sign goaltender Johan Hedberg

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170254&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 06:52 PM
I think the Avs will pickup somebody like Witt or Spacek. Nevertheless, another transition year awaits. I can't wait to hear the spin from the Avs within the coming days.

Clockwork Orange
07-01-2006, 06:59 PM
I think the Avs will pickup somebody like Witt or Spacek. Nevertheless, another transition year awaits. I can't wait to hear the spin from the Avs within the coming days.

I forgot that Witt was out there. He wouldn't be a bad pickup, but I'd prefer they just accept their fate for this year and not tie up any cap space long term. Barring any more unforseen bonuses, the Avs should have a decent amount of cap space to play with next year (Breezeby, Turgeon, May & the Sakic & Blake bonuses all come off the books) and I'd prefer they didn't F that up.

Besides, keep your eyes on the prize boys.

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20051008/espo_2019.jpg

Jori
07-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Keith Carney signs with Minnesota; 2 years/ 4.2 million

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170256&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 07:24 PM
McKee's deal was 4 years/ 16 million

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2006, 08:09 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/01/AR2006070100929.html

The Caps made an offer for Chara, but pulled out when it went above $6.25M per. They've also opened negotiations with Backstrom.

Jori
07-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Lightning sign Filip Kuba to a 3 year/ 9 million deal--per Sportsnet

Jori
07-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Wild sign Kim Johnsson to a 4 year/ 19.4 million dollar contact

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170266&hubname=nhl

Jori
07-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Panthers buy out Sean Hill

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170274&hubname=nhl

Mtbrncofn
07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
What an absolutely ****ty day. Only took the span of 1 year to drop 4 of my all time favorites from our club.

I hope there is liquor somewhere in my house.

Breck Bronc
07-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I forgot that Witt was out there. He wouldn't be a bad pickup, but I'd prefer they just accept their fate for this year and not tie up any cap space long term. Barring any more unforseen bonuses, the Avs should have a decent amount of cap space to play with next year (Breezeby, Turgeon, May & the Sakic & Blake bonuses all come off the books) and I'd prefer they didn't F that up.

Besides, keep your eyes on the prize boys.

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20051008/espo_2019.jpgI don't think we'll be bad enough to get a high draft pick and a chance at Angelo Esposito.

We'll still ice a decent team, though I don't think there's any chance Colorado finishes higher than last place. The Northwest Division was already the best in hockey, now its added Luongo and Mitchell to Vancouver, Tanguay to Calgary, Demitra and Johnsson to the Wild, and Edmonton at least will keep Roloson (losing Pronger hurts, though).

I think at this point the Avs will finish around .500 and just out of the playoffs. That'll probably be good enough for a 11th-13th first round pick.

Things should look better going into 2007-'08 with all that cap money coming off the books and our recent draft picks like Stastny and company ready for the NHL. That assumes, of course, that the NHL didn't write into the CBA that people like Michel Goulet and Anton Stastny's contracts from the 1980's count against the cap.

Man, it hurts using 2.5 million dollars worth of cap space on someone playing for the godamn Kings.

Jori
07-01-2006, 09:35 PM
New Jersey holds on to the best free agent forward prize; Elias resigns for 7 years/ 42 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170279&hubname=nhl

Mtbrncofn
07-01-2006, 09:44 PM
So did I miss it, or no word on Pronger yet?

Jori
07-01-2006, 09:48 PM
No, nothing on Pronger yet. Pronger is supposed to have a press conference on Tuesday, so I imagine he wont be traded until after that time.

WABronco
07-01-2006, 09:53 PM
No, nothing on Pronger yet. Pronger is supposed to have a press conference on Tuesday, so I imagine he wont be traded until after that time.
You have to wonder what he's going to say...

I mean, what can he say?

Jori
07-01-2006, 10:58 PM
What a crazy day. Pretty much all the big name players are gone, especially the defenseman. Barring trades, the rest of the offseason will be fairly dull. I'm sure the Avs PR department will be busy the next few days. Can't wait to hear how we are still a Cup contender :giggle:

Clockwork Orange
07-01-2006, 11:02 PM
I can hear it now.

PL: I believe this team has as good a chance to win the Cup as any team we've ever had here.

Reporter: But you've lost Blake & Tanguay and replaced them with Leopold & Arnason.

PL: Well, that's your opinion.

Mtbrncofn
07-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Of course the Avs PR dept. will be busy. They better take some Dramamine or something because someone's gonna get dizzy and throw up from all that spinning that's gonna be going on.

WABronco
07-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Of course the Avs PR dept. will be busy. They better take some Dramamine or something because someone's gonna get dizzy and throw up from all that spinning that's gonna be going on.
That Dramamine's some good ****! It saved a recent fishing trip up to Vancouver Island!

I puked eight times the day before I finally took some too...Ha!

24champ
07-02-2006, 01:10 AM
It's official now...Rob Blake is gone and has returned to the LA Kings; two years /12 million.

First off I called it in another forum waaay before today. I knew the Avs were F'n up their payroll and would have to cut Blake however....

two years 12 million? holy crap thats way too much money for a 37 year defenseman, then again I was a huge Blake fan so im not too pissed off. Blake was never an Av, he is coming home where he belongs. ;D

Killericon
07-02-2006, 01:11 AM
I really do feel sorry for you Avs fans....My condolences.

24champ
07-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Scott Thornton signs with the Kings 2 years/ 3 million per TSN.
Former Shark player, im sure our GM DL liked this guy so I have to believe this guy is a solid pickup.

Breck Bronc
07-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Blake was never an Av, he is coming home where he belongs. ;Dhttp://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aacg016.jpg

He may never have been an Av, but he'll never lift one of these in a Kings jersey.

24champ
07-02-2006, 02:17 AM
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aacg016.jpg

He may never have been an Av, but he'll never lift one of these in a Kings jersey.
Well he is leaving a sinking ship, so I think he has a better shot now.:)

Breck Bronc
07-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Well he is leaving a sinking ship, so I think he has a better shot now.:)The Avs and Kings both have no shot. He should have signed with either of the better two California teams. Put Blake on the Sharks or Ducks and you have a Stanley Cup favorite. Put him on the Kings and you might make the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.

SoCalBronco
07-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Article Launched: 07/02/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

colorado avalanche
Blake era comes to an end in Colorado
By Adrian Dater
Denver Post Staff Writer

Blake: "It's a business, unfortunately. But I just want to say the Avalanche is the best organization in hockey, by far. Everybody, from the top person on down was just first class." (Post file)

Tyler Arnason's days with the Avalanche are just beginning. Rob Blake's, however, are over.

On a Saturday in which the Avs signed the free-agent center Arnason to a one-year, $950,000 contract, the bigger news centered around the breaking off of contract talks between the team and star defenseman Blake.

Later in the day, Blake returned to his former team, the Los Angeles Kings, signing a two-year, $12 million contract.

Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere said that, despite his best efforts, he was not able to reach an agreement with Blake, 36, clearing the way for him to sign with another NHL team as an unrestricted free agent.

"We wanted to keep him and we tried to keep him, but in the end it didn't work out. He has to do what is right for him and his family, and we wish him the best," Giguere said.

Giguere met with Blake last week and said he offered him a package of one- and two-year deals to stay with the Avalanche, but Blake rejected them.

Ironically, the Avs could not afford to keep Blake partly because of the money they are paying him as he exits the team. Under terms of his previous contract, Blake is due a $2.3 million bonus payment for next season - all counting against the Avs' salary cap of $44 million.

Blake said, "(The bonus) kind of screwed things up with me coming back. It is ironic. Not only that, but they declined the option years on us because of last year's cap. It's a business, unfortunately. But I just want to say the Avalanche is the best organization in hockey, by far. Everybody, from the top person on down was just first class. I learned so much there, and I hope to carry it on back here in L.A."

Giguere is aware that Blake's departure will be seen as a major blow to the Avs by fans and pundits, and that the bonus payments to Blake and captain Joe Sakic (also for $2.3 million) might be seen as a gaffe by the organization.

But Giguere defended the situation surrounding both issues.

"I knew that I probably wouldn't be able to keep one of the three unrestricted defensemen we had. We signed two of them (Karlis Skrastins and Brett Clark), but I knew it might be tough with Rob," Giguere said. "That's why we made a deal to obtain a top-four defenseman last week (Jordan Leopold from Calgary). You hate to lose a player of Rob's ability, but we're

Advertisement

going forward with a player (Leopold) 11 years younger (than Blake), with a lot of offensive upside. Right now, we have five defensemen signed who we like and still have John Liles to sign. I feel good about our defense right now. It's younger and we had lots of production last season from guys we still have."
About the bonus payment situations, Giguere said, "It was a very good contract at the time with both of them, and the Colorado Avalanche received great things from them. To sign both players to five-year contracts was something great for the team. The salary cap changed things, but a lot of teams lost some very good players (Saturday), not just us."

Giguere said the Avs will not buy out the contracts of currently signed players, including Pierre Turgeon, Patrice Brisebois or Brad May. Part of the reason, Giguere said, is because any player who is 35 or older when his contract is bought out has his full salary count against the salary cap. Turgeon and Brisebois are older than 35, and May will be 35 in November.

In Arnason, 27, the Avs get a center who has shown flashes of potential stardom but has yet to fulfill his potential. He was acquired by Ottawa from Chicago at the trade deadline last season, but performed poorly for the Senators and was not given a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent. He is eligible to become unrestricted after next season, too.

"When I talked to Tyler, one area he felt he needed improvement was his conditioning, and he is working with a personal trainer now," Giguere said. "He's got a lot of offensive talent, and I think he'll be a top-six forward for us. The fact that he can be unrestricted next year I think plays into our advantage, because I think he'll have extra motivation."

Staff writer Adrian Dater can be reached at 303-820-5454 or adater@denverpost.com.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4003935

broncocalijohn
07-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Maybe Luc should stick around to reform the Kings team that had some glory. You pick on a team that did make the playoffs over your Kings team. Kings better improve from 2005 and 06. As for the Ducks, resigning Selanne is just one piece to complete a more dominating year in06 - 07. I have Ducks at least in 2nd in division (SJ might take #1).

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Well he is leaving a sinking ship, so I think he has a better shot now.:)

LOL

A shot at the Cup with the Queens? You're always good for a laugh, 24. :laugh:

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Giguere said the Avs will not buy out the contracts of currently signed players, including Pierre Turgeon, Patrice Brisebois or Brad May. Part of the reason, Giguere said, is because any player who is 35 or older when his contract is bought out has his full salary count against the salary cap. Turgeon and Brisebois are older than 35, and May will be 35 in November.

Again, why in the bloody **** did they give these useless fossils 2 year deals when guys under the age of 30 only get 1?

Nevermind. One more year and we're rid of them.

24champ
07-02-2006, 02:37 AM
LOL

A shot at the Cup with the Queens? You're always good for a laugh, 24. :laugh:
Hey Ive been a Kings fan for longer than Denver has had an NHL team. LOL Suffered alot but it will worth it someday....soon i hope! ;D

24champ
07-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Maybe Luc should stick around to reform the Kings team that had some glory. You pick on a team that did make the playoffs over your Kings team. Kings better improve from 2005 and 06. As for the Ducks, resigning Selanne is just one piece to complete a more dominating year in06 - 07. I have Ducks at least in 2nd in division (SJ might take #1).
Actually Im hoping Jari Kurri and Gretz come back.;D

Hey dont worry about Selanne, you have more important things to worry about like what colors should be on your new jersey's. :slapsilly

Breck Bronc
07-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Hey Ive been a Kings fan for longer than Denver has had an NHL team. LOL Suffered alot but it will worth it someday....soon i hope! ;DDenver's had an NHL team for 15 years; you're 21 -- so you became a Kings fan at age 6. Mighty impressive. Did you enjoy that Cup Finals run at age 8?

24champ
07-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Denver's had an NHL team for 15 years; you're 21 -- so you became a Kings fan at age 6. Mighty impressive. Did you enjoy that Cup Finals run at age 8?
I was born a kings fan, I think at three my dad took me to a Kings game.

Regarding the cup run....Yes I did, obviously it didnt end the way I wanted it to, but man that series against the leafs is one i wont forget. I still think Pat Burns is a prick after that feud with Barry.;D

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 03:01 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/si_field/2003/05/28/best/roy04.jpg

Breck Bronc
07-02-2006, 03:06 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/si_field/2003/05/28/best/roy04.jpgThree Avs in that picture; obviously Roy and Blake, but also our not-to-be-bought-out Patrice #43 Brisebois.

Clockwork Orange
07-02-2006, 07:40 AM
And I thought the Avs were in bad shape with the cap. The Devils, especially after re-signing Elias, are in a tough spot. They've got $7 million in dead money on their cap this season for two guys who won't be playing for them (Mogilny, Malakhov) and according to this (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2704&hubname=), they've currently got $38.98 million already committed with 9 roster spots left to fill.

I guess things are tough all over.

Bronx33
07-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori

Can you say overpayed....later blake it was fun.

Jori
07-02-2006, 11:05 AM
A few signings starting to come in. LaRose re-signs with Carolina, Mike Sillinger heads to the Islanders and just in...Arnott signs with the Predators (5 years/ 22.5 million)---per TSN

Tredici
07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey Ive been a Kings fan for longer than Denver has had an NHL team. LOL Suffered alot but it will worth it someday....soon i hope! ;D

I guess you are referring to the current NHL Team. What is this weird compulsion of hockey fans in regards to longevity?

I don't think I ever see anyone looking down their noses at fans of expansion football teams. I mean, how dare those Seahawk fans cheer at a Super Bowl. They don't have history and shouldn't be considered as legitimate fans.

Goofy complex.

Tredici
07-02-2006, 11:16 AM
And I thought the Avs were in bad shape with the cap. The Devils, especially after re-signing Elias, are in a tough spot. They've got $7 million in dead money on their cap this season for two guys who won't be playing for them (Mogilny, Malakhov) and according to this (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2704&hubname=), they've currently got $38.98 million already committed with 9 roster spots left to fill.

I guess things are tough all over.

Buttman must be ecstatic! His plan to dismantle the winning franchises and make the entire league mediocre is coming to fruition ahead of schedule.

BroncoBuff
07-02-2006, 11:20 AM
So who's left from 95 and/or 01 now ... just Sakic and Hejduk?

We couldda signed Jon Klemm last week for old times sake and for blue-line depth. This is one young team now, I hope Wolski or Svatos can become some kind of leader.

Leopold is a young stud, no doubt, but does anybody have a thumbnail on this Arnason?

Breck Bronc
07-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Buttman must be ecstatic! His plan to dismantle the winning franchises and make the entire league mediocre is coming to fruition ahead of schedule.It's great, isn't it? I'm so happy we lost an entire season for the great Saaaaaaalary Caaaaaap.

Kid A
07-02-2006, 11:31 AM
So who's left from 95 and/or 01 now ... just Sakic and Hejduk?

We couldda signed Jon Klemm last week for old times sake and for blue-line depth. This is one young team now, I hope Wolski or Svatos can become some kind of leader.

Leopold is a young stud, no doubt, but does anybody have a thumbnail on this Arnason?

Those young players are at this point the only reason to look forward to next season. Hopefully they can continue to grow, and the following year we can get them some respectable linemates to go along with Sakic and Hejduk. Brisbois, Turgeon, and May for another year? Oh joy.

broncocalijohn
07-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Actually Im hoping Jari Kurri and Gretz come back.;D

Hey dont worry about Selanne, you have more important things to worry about like what colors should be on your new jersey's. :slapsilly

If that is our only problem, then we are very set. The youngins will be a year more mature and Andy McDonald on the team next year, I see a very good future. Good luck with Kurri and Gretz. Felix the Cat should be available also.

Killericon
07-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Just so you Avalanche fans know, Leopold is a great player. I mean...he's on the verge of being an all-star. If you watch him play....he's a fantastic offensive talent, and he's no slouch hitting. You'll like him...Maybe not as much as you liked Blake, but let's be honest here....the guy is 36. Not that many years left in the tank anyways.

Jori
07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Darryl Sydor goes back to Dallas in a trade; the Lightning receive the Stars 4th round pick in 2008.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170328&hubname=nhl

Kings sign Alyn McCauley to a three year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170326&hubname=nhl