PDA

View Full Version : Wesley Duke Exclusive

24champ
04-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Going One on One with "Big Wes"

By 24CHAMPBAILEY

I was fortunate enough to ask Wesley Duke some questions through a freind of mine who gave Wesley's email address to me. This guy knows what he has to do to make it big and has his heart set on being a contributor for the Denver Broncos. It started off with Wesley Duke who became a star at Mercer U. where he racked up 11 1/2 points 7 rebounds and 1 1/2 blocks per game. Wesley Duke saw Antonio Gates become a star and thought that he could do the same. He passed up thousands of dollars to play basketball in Europe and fielded a call to the Atlanta Falcons who did not return the call. Luckily the Giants became interested in Wesley and set up a pro day. Six teams brought representatives to see Wesley and were blown away by Wesley Duke's score of 30 on the wonderlic test.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/n22607595_30502068_5823.jpg (http://photobucket.com)
Big Wes studying on some plays in Europe.

The Broncos were also impressed by Wesley and brought him in for a private workout and liked what they saw. Denver at the time was stocked with TE's with the signing of Stephen Alexander and matched an offer sheet to Jeb Putzier. Not to mention Nate Jackson was converted to TE from WR and Patrick Hape was still on the team. Wesley beat out Patrick Hape on the 53 man roster before the 2005-06 season started. Later on as the season progressed Wesley caught his first TD dubbed the "Power Layup". Now that you know a little bit about Wesley Duke, I asked him some questions.

24: First off Wes, The hot rumor I am hearing that the broncos could be trading some draft picks and Lelie to the 49ers for the 6th overall pick? Seems like they are targeting Vernon Davis, your thoughts?

Big Wes: I don't know I have no control over that. If he will help us win I'm all for it.

24: Personally I think the the two tight end set would be awesome with you two as the tight ends.

Big Wes: Yeah I like the two tight end set but again i don't know anything about Vernon I know we do get a lot of guys from Maryland. We will just have to wait and see.

24: Interesting you bring up guys from Maryland. Dominique Foxworth went there and found out from a freind that his nickname is 'nique. So what is your nickname?

Big Wes: you can call me Big Wes or Duke.

24: Is there anything new that you have learned today footballwise?

Big Wes: Today I just spent a lot of time studying and practicing for each game.

24: Since you played basketball, who should be the MVP in the NBA?

Big Wes: I don't know i haven't been able to keep up with the NBA over here for me it is all football all the time.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/n22607595_30502099_5328.jpg (http://photobucket.com)
Big Wes hanging out

24: Do you talk to Shannahan/Brewster while your in Europe?

Big Wes: I talk to coach Brewster from time to time but it is crazy cause we are 8hrs ahead so I have to try and find him and he has to try and catch me between meetings and practice and sleep.

24: Have you met or talked with the new Assistant Head coach Mike Heimerdinger? Your thoughts on him and how he could help you?

Big Wes: No, I have heard about him and I think it will be good for me he likes getting the tight end the ball so I'm looking forward to meeting and working with him.

24: I once read somewhere that in high school you won the prestigous Atlanta Journal Cup Award, could you explain what that award is?

Big Wes: It is given to the best all around Senior at each school in Atlanta. I was really proud to have won that.

24: Have you talked to Jake Plummer or any other Bronco about the upcoming season?

Big Wes: No I haven't talked to any one but I can't wait to get back and share my stores and hangout with the fellas.

24: Finally what are your summer plans Wes?

Big Wes: Just want to keep improving and be prepared for the season so I can establish myself as one of the tight ends in the league.

Thank you Wesley for your time and good luck.

Bronco LB 59
04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Good job 24champbailey. Big Wes is an awfully nice guy to take time to send you pictures and answer your questions. That's cool.

SoCalBronco
04-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Wow...excellent stuff 24champbailey.

Thanks for sharing dude...im glad Wes is working hard over there in Europe.

:thumbsup:

REP

Ratboy
04-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Yep, Thanks for the that! Lets hope he can excel in the Broncos offense.

24champ
04-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks guys, I really tried to get his thoughts on the draft but he is very professional about things and from what I gather he is very focused on the upcoming season. He really wants to help the team.

watermock
04-19-2006, 01:34 AM
He's honing his skills. For all my posturing for VD, I haven't forgotten this kid, he's got alot of potential. He's just so raw yet.

24champ
04-19-2006, 01:40 AM
He's honing his skills. For all my posturing for VD, I haven't forgotten this kid, he's got alot of potential. He's just so raw yet.
I agree with you mock. I may be over exagerrating here but think of a two TE set of Antonio Gates and Shannon Sharpe? Who needs recievers when we have that combo.

BTW I did send him a link of this site, so he may be lurking......

watermock
04-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Beezlebub is wearing me out with this string and he's doing all the work. He has a dozen strings somewhere, it's his "stash" I guess. Been rainy so he's got cabin fever after the soft winter.

Anyway, I have repeatedly said the the way to beat the 3-4 is to go double TE one back, two WR.

Then you move the TE out and drag some LB out there, you have an instant mismatch.

Odysseus
04-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Because Wesley is a student of the game I am willing to believe good things about him but because he's got such a long way to go I'm not willing to believe he can start AND star in this league anytime soon. I cannot imagine two "rookies" as starters at TE and scaring anybody. It still will come down to execution and running the ball.

I like this kid.

Kaylore
04-19-2006, 02:34 AM
The Mane is awesome! Those were some great questions, 24! So many cool things. So it's Big Wes. I reserve "the Duke" for Elway. The only thing I would've asked him additionally is if it's harder trying to catch passes from Brock Berlin. :~ohyah!:

Let's hope that he can really step it up this year and get some playing time.

And let's hope you get more players' E-mail adresses and do more interviews! :D

Billy Clyde Puckett
04-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Great job 24. Thanks from all of us.

Orange_Beard
04-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Where was he when you talked to him?
Nice job.

ksBRONCOfan
04-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Awesome, I'm loving these Maner exclusives!

Requiem
04-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Great job. It's nice to see Wes is workin' real hard.

24champ
04-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Where was he when you talked to him?
Nice job.
He is currently in Hamburg, Germany. Unfortunately he is NOT having fun and cant wait to get home.

Smiling Assassin27
04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Big Wes: you can call me Big Wes or Duke.

someone break the news to him that Elway's called The Duke....(gently)

lonestar
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM
so whatever happened to this "STUD" everyone was slobbering all over..

UberBroncoMan
02-19-2012, 01:43 PM

http://www.dg28.com/blog/images/gravedigger-001.jpg

lonestar
02-19-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.dg28.com/blog/images/gravedigger-001.jpg

is he dead or flipping burgers somewhere?

NFLBRONCO
02-19-2012, 01:53 PM

He works for Swift trucking co

UberBroncoMan
02-19-2012, 03:05 PM
is he dead or flipping burgers somewhere?

It was more a symbolism of you digging up a corpse since it's a 6 year old thread, lol.

lonestar
02-19-2012, 06:05 PM
It was more a symbolism of you digging up a corpse since it's a 6 year old thread, lol.

not quite 6 but.

close it was bookmarked and I remember all the folks slobbering over "the" next great TE..

thought I'd poke a hornests nest..

bowtown
02-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Thnot quite 6 but.

close it was bookmarked and I remember all the folks slobbering over "the" next great TE..

That sounds you hear isn't hornets. It's a collective yawn.

ant1999e
02-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Who does this? Have you nothing better to do?

GreatBronco16
02-19-2012, 07:55 PM

Considering this thread never made it to a 2nd page.........who is the 'everyone' you're talking about?

Chris
02-19-2012, 08:07 PM
lonelystar.

Missouribronc
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Please list Denver's draft picks with no perspective...

TIA

lonestar
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Considering this thread never made it to a 2nd page.........who is the 'everyone' you're talking about?

Well your wrong page two.

BTW there were loads of kiddies slobbering over him back then I suspect you were not a fan or maybe even out of diapers then.
Do a search I suspect you will see the threads.

Archer81
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
An example of Shanahan looking for an athlete and not getting someone who could play.

And why would anyone dig up a six year old thread?

:Broncos:

Requiem
02-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Why the bump: because he is a dumb prick.

TD4HOF
02-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Oddest bump in the history of Gore's creation.

Kaylore
02-20-2012, 03:26 AM
I would argue not a single post is "slobbering over him." In fact just about everyone says he has a ways to go but hopes he can improve. That's a pretty reasonable hope.

cmhargrove
02-20-2012, 05:44 AM
not quite 6 but.

You're an odd one Lonestar. Of all the failed young talent brought to Dove Valley, you chose a one page thread about Wesley Duke? Odd.

For every couple Wesley Dukes, there is a Jimmy Graham still out there. It is a never ending business looking for new talent. Those who are afraid to take risks shouldn't play the game.

Also, if you checked your facts, you might just find that Wesley's biggest problems were his injuries, not his talent. Dudes knees were ripped up.

lonestar
02-20-2012, 06:36 AM
You're an odd one Lonestar. Of all the failed young talent brought to Dove Valley, you chose a one page thread about Wesley Duke? Odd.

For every couple Wesley Dukes, there is a Jimmy Graham still out there. It is a never ending business looking for new talent. Those who are afraid to take risks shouldn't play the game.

Also, if you checked your facts, you might just find that Wesley's biggest problems were his injuries, not his talent. Dudes knees were ripped up.

I know his knees were an issue I also know that many saw the next Gates and Tony G when he was brought in.

IIRC dream was one of those slobbering all over him. Yet he calls me a dumb prick. Dream Once a punk always a punk.

Requiem
02-20-2012, 11:07 AM
IIRC dream was one of those slobbering all over him. Yet he calls me a dumb prick. Dream Once a punk always a punk.

Coming from the guy who said Elvis Dumervil wouldn't do **** in the NFL because he was a midget.

And no, I never thought Duke was going to be good. Did I hope he would be? Sure.

lonestar
02-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Coming from the guy who said Elvis Dumervil wouldn't do **** in the NFL because he was a midget.

And no, I never thought Duke was going to be good. Did I hope he would be? Sure.

I'd bet if I checked all the forums you were on at the time, I suspect you were a slobbering fool over his potential..

Yes I made a mistake on Doom, happily I was wrong..

Can you say you only made one prediction wrong?

GreatBronco16
02-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Well your wrong page two.

BTW there were loads of kiddies slobbering over him back then I suspect you were not a fan or maybe even out of diapers then.
Do a search I suspect you will see the threads.

Nope, still sitting on 1 page. Try adjusting your settings to allow the max amount of posts per page.

Love the diaper smack routine, well maybe not. Think I heard that nearly 30 years ago, but keep trying.

Oh yeah, I was a fan. Was really hoping he would turn out to be a good TE for the team I cheer for. He didn't. Oh well, life goes on.

BowlenBall
02-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Hope someone can bump a Triandos Luke or Greg Eslinger article next... good times!

Requiem
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd bet if I checked all the forums you were on at the time, I suspect you were a slobbering fool over his potential..

Yes I made a mistake on Doom, happily I was wrong..

Can you say you only made one prediction wrong?

You have made more than one prediction wrong.

Houshyamama
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/4/20/2121689/matt-mauck-lsu-broncos-dentist

doonwise
02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
not quite 6 but.

Dude, were you even on the 'Mane in 2006? I was. And nobody was "slobbering" over this guy.

However, you do receive the award for "oddest legacy thread bump" in that you dug up a fossil to disprove your own point. Nicely done!

Kaylore
02-21-2012, 10:27 PM
http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/4/20/2121689/matt-mauck-lsu-broncos-dentist

There are a ton of dentists out here.

lonestar
02-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Dude, were you even on the 'Mane in 2006? I was. And nobody was "slobbering" over this guy.

However, you do receive the award for "oddest legacy thread bump" in that you dug up a fossil to disprove your own point. Nicely done!

Was a member under another login back in 2003-4 or so, lurked since..

Perhaps not on this forum, as I was members of several since, but there were loads of folks having orgasms about "the next Gates"..

Thanks for the award..

Kaylore
02-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Was a member under another login back in 2003-4 or so, lurked since..

Perhaps not on this forum, as I was members of several since, but there were loads of folks having orgasms about "the next Gates"..

Well this thread isn't an example of that. It's mostly comments like "has a long way to go" and "maybe he can get playing time." Those aren't very high expectations, and even these are riddled with doubt.