PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball thread: Regular Season time is HERE!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ro_50
03-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok, my first love is college basketball but its also Major League Baseball time.

Lets start a thread of the upcoming season!!!!

I hope my Tribe can put its late season nosedive in 2005 behind them. It begins Sunday for me when the Tribe play the White Sx.

ITS MLB TIME!!!!!

Clockwork Orange
03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm holding out hope that this is the year that the Rockies can make the jump from bad to medicore. Baby steps.

bendog
03-29-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm hoping barroids gets drilled in the knee with a fastball.

How are the dodgers shaping up?

dbfan4life
03-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Call me again when the post season starts.

24champ
03-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm hoping barroids gets drilled in the knee with a fastball.

How are the dodgers shaping up?
Blue team should kick the crap out of the Padres right LB52?;D

-Slap-
03-29-2006, 03:59 PM
My roto teams are going to destroy the universe this year.

Smelvin
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Things are looking great for both Bay Area teams. The Giants, if healthy, should win the West by 10+ games. A full year of Randy Winn and a healthy Steve Finley as the 4th OF are huge upghrades from last year. Say whatever the hell you want about Bonds...but he mashes like none other, roids or no roids, and the impact he makes in the linup to the surrounding players is Ruthian. With him in the lineup Giants would have won the division last year going away. Rotation should be rock solid with Schmidt in a contract year, Morris, and the youngsters Lowry and Cain busting on the scene.

The only area that truly concerns me is Benitez. He's a fat POS.

The A's are absolutely loaded. This is their best lineup since the Miggy/Giambi days and their rotation is (aside from the Sox) the deepest in baseball. Penn is excellent...I really see no holes with the A's.

Boobs McGee
03-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Never really paid too much attention to the Rockies, but i DO know that i've got rock pile tickets and a handle of Captain for the opener on monday ;D

OrangeShadow
03-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Id made sure i had monday off. OPENING DAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archer81
03-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Baseball...I hate Baseball...

:Broncos:

Dagmar
03-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Baseball...I hate Baseball...

:stirstir: (but I wholly concur.)

SoCalBronco
03-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Go Pale Hose!!

Cant wait to see the Hawk homering all season long about the Title last year.

Hogan11
03-29-2006, 09:58 PM
http://72.22.74.110/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=14895&stc=1&d=1140987690
Hard times are about to end!
Beat 'em Bucs!!!

ludo21
03-29-2006, 10:07 PM
:stirstir: (but I wholly concur.)

me too :thumbs:

im holding out hope that search for Roids pulls up a ton of people and they have to cancel the season ;D

WABronco
03-29-2006, 10:08 PM
King Felix will win the Cy Young...

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050715/SEA_hernandez_48129.jpg

-Slap-
03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
King Felix will win the Cy Young...

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050715/SEA_hernandez_48129.jpg
He's going to finish second to Rich Harden.

WABronco
03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
touche...

Harden's got some juice, but no one can touch Felix's 84 mph curve IMO. It's the nastiest pitch I've ever seen...

-Slap-
03-29-2006, 11:39 PM
touche...

Harden's got some juice, but no one can touch Felix's 84 mph curve IMO. It's the nastiest pitch I've ever seen...
What trips me out about Felix is how all his pitches seem so heavy. You rarely see a power pitcher who induces so many groundballs. Its just hard to get the ball in the air against him.

DBroncos4life
03-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Things are looking great for both Bay Area teams. The Giants, if healthy, should win the West by 10+ games. A full year of Randy Winn and a healthy Steve Finley as the 4th OF are huge upghrades from last year. Say whatever the hell you want about Bonds...but he mashes like none other, roids or no roids, and the impact he makes in the linup to the surrounding players is Ruthian. With him in the lineup Giants would have won the division last year going away. Rotation should be rock solid with Schmidt in a contract year, Morris, and the youngsters Lowry and Cain busting on the scene.

The only area that truly concerns me is Benitez. He's a fat POS.

The A's are absolutely loaded. This is their best lineup since the Miggy/Giambi days and their rotation is (aside from the Sox) the deepest in baseball. Penn is excellent...I really see no holes with the A's.
The Dodgers will crush them just as long as Cy Gagne stays healthy, well that really isn't true with Danys Baez there now. Thats one deep pen.

WABronco
03-30-2006, 12:34 AM
What trips me out about Felix is how all his pitches seem so heavy. You rarely see a power pitcher who induces so many groundballs. Its just hard to get the ball in the air against him.

Dat's right. He's got a 97-98 mph heater with serious movement...

watermock
03-30-2006, 01:42 AM
We need another comment from Barroid...It's more amusing than the game IMO.

Wake me up when the playoffs start.

Arkie
03-30-2006, 03:14 AM
St. Louis will win the WS.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/gjbronco/151193419GhKShB_ph.jpg

Hotwheelz
03-30-2006, 04:43 AM
Cy Young: Peavy
Gold Glove CF: Cameron
MVP: Giles
HR Leader: Piazza
ROY: Barfield
RBI Leader: Greene
SB Leader: Roberts
Comeback Player: Castilla
Batting Champion: Gonzalez

:yayaya: :egbgb: :militia: :charge:

broncohaven
03-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Call me when September rolls around. That's the only time Baseball is on my radar, and I can still only watch the last three innings or so.

Atlas
03-30-2006, 05:30 AM
baseballs here?? (YAWN)

OrangeShadow
03-30-2006, 05:39 AM

Did you predict that in 2004 to?

bendog
03-30-2006, 08:13 AM
baseballs here?? (YAWN)
nah, when it's too hot to run outside, it makes the treadmill less boring.

I knew I really needed to find a life when I got into pro bowling reruns from the Webber era.

Is that a job or what? You can be an athlete into your 40s and drink beer and eat ground beef doing it.

Jens1893
03-30-2006, 08:15 AM
is roger clemens gonna play this season? whats the deal with him?

Smelvin
03-30-2006, 09:44 AM
He's going to finish second to Rich Harden.

I love Rich Harden's upside, but due to his diminutive frame he simply can't stay healthy. Much like Tim Hudson. When healthy Harden is as nasty as anyone, but I don't think he can log enough innings to capture the CY.

27atwater
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I'll be at Shea on opening day!

Bronco LB 59
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I hope my Tribe can put its late season nosedive in 2005 behind them. It begins Sunday for me when the Tribe play the White Sx.

The American League Central is going to be exciting with the Pale Hose, Cleveland and Minnesota. Detroit won't be a pushover, either.

How long do you think Aaron Boone will stick at the hot corner before the Indians call up Andy Marte?

Do you think C.C. Sabathia is due for his breakout season?

Bronco LB 59
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm holding out hope that this is the year that the Rockies can make the jump from bad to medicore. Baby steps.

They had the best record in the National League West during the 2nd half in 2005 but that is not saying much.

Bronco LB 59
03-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Blue team should kick the crap out of the Padres right LB52?;D

I hate Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers almost as much as the Raiders. Blue doesn't have an Ace and they can't count on a full season from J.D. or Nomar.

Bronco LB 59
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Giants have the best rotation in the division, but that's where their strengths end. Their bullpen stinks. Do Mel Ott, Frankie Frisch and Bill Terry still play everyday for the Giants? I have never seen a team so dependent on 40 something year olds.

Bonds has bad knees and all sorts of other physical ailments such as a bad elbow. I doubt he plays half the season. Hopefully, the baseball gods finish his career before he can pass the Sultan of Swat.

ro_50
03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
The American League Central is going to be exciting with the Pale Hose, Cleveland and Minnesota. Detroit won't be a pushover, either.

How long do you think Aaron Boone will stick at the hot corner before the Indians call up Andy Marte?

Do you think C.C. Sabathia is due for his breakout season?

Andy Marte really impressed in spring training, he got his weight up from 190 to 210 and hit the ball well.

It depends, if Boone gets off to an anemic start like he did last year, GM Mark Shapiro may feel its time to bring Marte up from Buffalo.

I like Boone but to many times last year, him, Ben Broussard and Casey Blake were just awful with runners in scoring position and with their lack of production.

If the Tribe struggle out of the gate, which has happened the past two years, they may feel inclined to bring up Marte to try and jump start the offense.

I think Boone is here this year and unless he has an unbelievable year, Marte will take over in 2007.

C.C. struggled in spring this year but he's been solid the past two seasons, but this has to be the year he moves in to the upper-echleon.

Personally, I think Clff Lee is a better pitcher than C.C., even though I like this century's version of Sid Fernandez.

24champ
03-30-2006, 11:25 AM
I hate Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers almost as much as the Raiders. Blue doesn't have an Ace and they can't count on a full season from J.D. or Nomar.
Clearly the dodgers own the Padres and thats why you hate them. Besides th eDodgers have alot of vets on the team and quality depth. We have Penny who is the ace and Lowe had an excellent spring. Once we get Gagne back its game over !for the rest of the division!

-Slap-
03-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I love Rich Harden's upside, but due to his diminutive frame he simply can't stay healthy. Much like Tim Hudson. When healthy Harden is as nasty as anyone, but I don't think he can log enough innings to capture the CY.
Poppycock! Look at Pedro and Maddux.

Smelvin
03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Giants have the best rotation in the division, but that's where their strengths end. Their bullpen stinks.

Their penn is much better than people think. Not a lot of big names, but some very live arms. Worrell looks like the Worrell of two years ago and if so is an excellent set-up guy. Scott Munter, Jeremy Accardo and Jack Taschner are names only Giants fans know. They all are very promising.

I think when all is said and done their penn will be a strength.

Smelvin
03-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Poppycock! Look at Pedro and Maddux.

I am not alone in questioning Harden's durability. It's been his only restraint thus far, and many here in the Bay Area are quite worried it will persist.

MileHighMagic
03-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Red Sox ended their drought in 04
White Sox ended theirs in 05

CHICAGO CUBS WS CHAMPS IN 06

bombay
03-30-2006, 12:42 PM

I've been in Denver 25 years and have converted in every other sport....

but I loves me some St. Louis Cardinals!

bombay
03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
is roger clemens gonna play this season? whats the deal with him?

I'd be willing to wager he'll find a situation he likes and be pitching by mid-July.

ro_50
03-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Red Sox ended their drought in 04
White Sox ended theirs in 05

CHICAGO CUBS WS CHAMPS IN 06

The more things change, the MORE THEY STAY THE SAME FOR THE CUBS.

Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are on the DL again, what else is new.

Archer81
03-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Baseball players= crotch stuffing divas.

Bronco LB 59
03-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Andy Marte really impressed in spring training, he got his weight up from 190 to 210 and hit the ball well.

It depends, if Boone gets off to an anemic start like he did last year, GM Mark Shapiro may feel its time to bring Marte up from Buffalo.

I like Boone but to many times last year, him, Ben Broussard and Casey Blake were just awful with runners in scoring position and with their lack of production.

If the Tribe struggle out of the gate, which has happened the past two years, they may feel inclined to bring up Marte to try and jump start the offense.

I think Boone is here this year and unless he has an unbelievable year, Marte will take over in 2007.

C.C. struggled in spring this year but he's been solid the past two seasons, but this has to be the year he moves in to the upper-echleon.

Personally, I think Clff Lee is a better pitcher than C.C., even though I like this century's version of Sid Fernandez.

WOW! I didn't know Marte put on weight. Marte also struggled in his initial big league experience. He is a well-rounded third base talent, but Shapiro is probably doing the right thing giving him more Triple-A experience. I guess Boone got another chance after he hit .280, 8 HR, 34 RBI in the second half last year.

HAHAHA! I love the comparison with El Sid! Cliff Lee certainly gets by with less than C.C but I think Sabathia might be ready to turn the corner after his groundball rate improved by 10% last season.

Bronco LB 59
03-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Clearly the dodgers own the Padres and thats why you hate them. Besides th eDodgers have alot of vets on the team and quality depth. We have Penny who is the ace and Lowe had an excellent spring. Once we get Gagne back its game over !for the rest of the division!

Penny is a good #2, but he's far from an Ace. He has never been healthy enough to show his true talent. Last season, he had a disapointing season despite pitching well into mid-September.

Anyways, I think the Dodgers are the favorite in a wide open division, but mostly because of their deep farm system. Arizona does as well, but they don't have the pitching.

Bronco LB 59
03-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Their penn is much better than people think. Not a lot of big names, but some very live arms. Worrell looks like the Worrell of two years ago and if so is an excellent set-up guy. Scott Munter, Jeremy Accardo and Jack Taschner are names only Giants fans know. They all are very promising.

I think when all is said and done their penn will be a strength.

I love Accardo. I think he's going to be the Giants best reliever this season. Munter and Taschner don't overly impress me. They're adequate.

Smelvin
03-30-2006, 04:38 PM
I love Accardo. I think he's going to be the Giants best reliever this season. Munter and Taschner don't overly impress me. They're adequate.

I actually think Munter is the best of the bunch. He serves up double play ground balls like it's nobody's business. And with Merkin Valdez on the horizon, things are looking up for the G's.

ro_50
03-30-2006, 04:44 PM
WOW! I didn't know Marte put on weight. Marte also struggled in his initial big league experience. He is a well-rounded third base talent, but Shapiro is probably doing the right thing giving him more Triple-A experience. I guess Boone got another chance after he hit .280, 8 HR, 34 RBI in the second half last year.

HAHAHA! I love the comparison with El Sid! Cliff Lee certainly gets by with less than C.C but I think Sabathia might be ready to turn the corner after his groundball rate improved by 10% last season.

I agree with you, Shapiro is doing the right thing. He's really talented, but that would be a tough pressure spot if you play an inexperienced guy at an important position on what is suppose to be a contending team.

And Boone is a veteran third base guy but he needs to hit, like you stated he did in the second half, to keep the Tribe fan base happy and most of all, manager Eric Wedge.

24champ
03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Penny is a good #2, but he's far from an Ace. He has never been healthy enough to show his true talent. Last season, he had a disapointing season despite pitching well into mid-September.

Anyways, I think the Dodgers are the favorite in a wide open division, but mostly because of their deep farm system. Arizona does as well, but they don't have the pitching.
Arizona should be a really good team in one-two years. Furcal was a nice pickup, however the only way I see another team winning the division is if the Dodgers get the injury bug again. I dont see anything great about the padres other than old catchers.:giggle:

Hotwheelz
03-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Arizona should be a really good team in one-two years. Furcal was a nice pickup, however the only way I see another team winning the division is if the Dodgers get the injury bug again. I dont see anything great about the padres other than old catchers.:giggle:

Nothing great? IMO they are better than last year. CF, LF, 3B, 1B & SP all got better.:egbgb: :yayaya: :~ohyah!:

24champ
03-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Nothing great? IMO they are better than last year. CF, LF, 3B, 1B & SP all got better.:egbgb: :yayaya: :~ohyah!:
I disagree with the SP. After peavy ,who has great stuff by the way,the rest are not so great. Then your bullpen has thinned. Now Josh Barfield, Vinny Castilla, Ryan Klesko and Dave Roberts wont put up great numbers. The only way Padres win the division is if the Dodgers get the injury bug. Go blue!!Booya!

SportinOne
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM

Kind of like my Brewers did last year.. Although your Rockies haven't been bad for the past 12 seasons, so they got that going for them.

I'll admit i dont know much about the Rockies, but i do know that they have some good young talent. One guy i liked from last year was Brandon Hawpe. If i remember correctly he was real tall and had a nice swing with some pretty good power.

Hopefully you guys will be a sleeper this year and knock the D'Backs and Padres around a little.. The Giants without Bonds aren't really a threat if you ask me. I'm not saying NL West Title, but you guys could make some noise.

SportinOne
03-30-2006, 06:22 PM
The Padres got better at Catcher also.. Mike's a little old but he is still Mike Piazza.

I agree that the Padres starting pitching is not that good. They have one of the best pitchers in the game, but 2-5 is average at best, especially for a team that wants to return to the playoffs.

Also, they for some reason traded away Otsuka.. and if Hensley doesn't step up it is all going to fall on Linebrink and Hoffman.

The Dodgers may not have a bonafide no. 1 but i'll take their staff over San Diego any day. It's a 162 game season, not a 1-game, winner take all.

Don't forget that the Padres also traded away Mark Loretta. That i will never understand.. You can say it was so that they could keep Hoffman.. but to me there should have been an allowance for that in the payroll.. it's Hoffman!

I just don't see Barfield replicating what Loretta has done, when healthy at least.

Maybe they will prove me wrong.. doubt it though.

Clockwork Orange
03-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Say it aint so, the Bensons are getting a divorce.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBA_ORIOLES_BENSON?SITE=NYNYD&SECTION=NATIONAL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Kris Benson is doing well for himself. He gets to work with Leo Mazzone and he's ridding himself of that self-absorbed, attention whore he was shackled to.

Hogan11
03-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Say it aint so, the Bensons are getting a divorce.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBA_ORIOLES_BENSON?SITE=NYNYD&SECTION=NATIONAL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Kris Benson is doing well for himself. He gets to work with Leo Mazzone and he's ridding himself of that self-absorbed, attention whore he was shackled to.

Pfft Kris Benson...Mr. Potential.....he's no better than when he left Pittsburgh. Getting rid of that skank may help him realize what he's supposed to be though because being married to someone like that has to be a damaging distraction careerwise.

We'll see, but I remain highly skeptical.

Hotwheelz
03-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I disagree with the SP. After peavy ,who has great stuff by the way,the rest are not so great. Then your bullpen has thinned. Now Josh Barfield, Vinny Castilla, Ryan Klesko and Dave Roberts wont put up great numbers. The only way Padres win the division is if the Dodgers get the injury bug. Go blue!!Booya!

Last year

Peavy
Eaton
Lawrence
Williams
Park/Astacio

This year

Peavy
Estes
Young
Brazelton
Williams/Park

Eaton and Young are comparable. Estes is an upgrade over B-Law. Brazelton has been lights out in ST.

The line-up projects to be:

Roberts
Barfield
Giles
Piazza
Cameron
Castilla
Gonzalez
Greene

Gonzo and Barfield are batting around .400 and have a nice glove. If nothing else we are better defensively.:strong:

spdirty
03-30-2006, 09:53 PM
prediction: Rockies will win on opening day and all the yahoos will get excited about this being "the year" we recapture that wild card magic from 11 years ago then they'll lose their next 8 games and will be out of contention before the NFL Draft starts.

God I hate baseball season. Try my best to ignore it.

Stupid ass "R you in" billboards. I get mad every time I see them advertise the Rockies. Like Id want to waste my money on crap. Stupid Rockies ownership really screwed up a great thing here.

-Slap-
03-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Last year

Peavy
Eaton
Lawrence
Williams
Park/Astacio

This year

Peavy
Estes
Young
Brazelton
Williams/Park

Eaton and Young are comparable. Estes is an upgrade over B-Law. Brazelton has been lights out in ST.

The line-up projects to be:

Roberts
Barfield
Giles
Piazza
Cameron
Castilla
Gonzalez
Greene

Gonzo and Barfield are batting around .400 and have a nice glove. If nothing else we are better defensively.:strong:

I picked up Brazelton in my NL Only roto league. He'll get half his starts in PetCo and he's got a pedigree as a high first round pick (drafted ahead of Teixeira. Doh!).

Shawn Estes, on the other hand, watching him pitch makes me itch to grab a bat.

ro_50
03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
My world series pick is St. Louis vs. Los Angeles Angels.

Smelvin
03-31-2006, 12:40 PM
My world series pick is St. Louis vs. Los Angeles Angels.

A's over the Giants. Although without the quake.

Bronco LB 59
03-31-2006, 02:37 PM
I picked up Brazelton in my NL Only roto league. He'll get half his starts in PetCo and he's got a pedigree as a high first round pick (drafted ahead of Teixeira. Doh!).

Shawn Estes, on the other hand, watching him pitch makes me itch to grab a bat.

Smart move. Like you noted, Brazelton has talent, he just needs to keep his mechanics in sink and put his athletic frame to good use.

Breck Bronc
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
A's over the Giants. Although without the quake.Ha!

-Slap-
04-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Nice story about Marlins first baseman Mike Jacobs. (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14201720.htm)

43rd round pick makes good. Hard not to root for this kid.

A Day for Mother

On Opening Day, when new Marlins first baseman Mike Jacobs takes in his new surroundings as an everyday major-leaguer, he'll reflect on his mother's teachings.

BY MIKE PHILLIPS

JUPITER - This is about Collette.

At least that's the way Mike Jacobs sees it. He's here, on the verge of Opening Day in the big leagues, because he defied the odds and because he had a mother who believed in him when no one else was around.

''If I make it big, I'll buy her a new house and make sure she can quit her job,'' said Jacobs, the Marlins' first baseman. ``She was always there for me. I can't tell you how much that meant to me.

``I remember when I was a kid she would pitch whiffle balls to me in the backyard. By the time we were done she would be black and blue.''

Collette laughed, saying, ``Yeah, he would pelt me pretty good. I'm glad he remembers that.

``He always had a true love for baseball. It's something he has wanted so long. To see him do so well, It's wonderful and nerve-wracking at the same time.''

Jacobs' father died of cancer when Mike was 6 years old, but he will carry the memory of his dad into this season, too.

''He was a real good high school athlete,'' said Jacobs, who has a tattoo on his back that reads ''JAKE'' in Gothic print. It serves as a tribute to his father. ''Everyone called him Jake, and that's what they call me,'' he said with a slight smile of pride.

Jacobs is one of those feel-good stories, the one about the kid nobody wanted who somehow made it to the majors. He was a catcher in high school in San Diego.

From time to time, he worked out with other Hilltop High grads Jose Silva, Todd Pratt and Bob Natal, major leaguers who went home in the winter.

But Jacobs was an afterthought. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays picked him in the 43rd round of the draft. He didn't sign with Tampa Bay and tried to gain attention playing for Grossmont (Calif.) Junior College. The Mets then drafted him in the 38th round.

You won't find Jacobs, a converted first baseman, reading the long lists of can't-miss prospects in Baseball America. It's fine reading, but it doesn't mean much to Jacobs, who ignored all the hype given to so many other players, and just went to work to prove everyone wrong.

''There are so many guys who weren't drafted high who made it,'' he said. ``I never thought that way.

``I just believed if I worked hard I would get a chance to prove myself.''

Jacobs, who was the Mets' organizational player of the year in 2005, got more than a chance. He got a helping hand from Pedro Martinez.

The Mets called him up last August. Four days later, Jacobs hit a pinch-hit, three-run home run in his first big-league at-bat. After the game, the Mets were preparing to leave for a road trip, and they told Jacobs he was being sent back to the minors.

Martinez heard they were sending Jacobs down, and had a tirade in the clubhouse over the decision, telling Mets manager Willie Randolph that Jacobs deserved to stay.

''It's just not right,'' Martinez told reporters at the time. ``It could frustrate a kid when he hits a three-run homer that puts us back in the game, and you send him back down.''

Martinez's words made a difference, and the Mets kept Jacobs. He made Martinez look like a genius. He hit a home run in each of his first four games. Jacobs finished the season with 11 homers in 100 at-bats. If you extrapolate the numbers to an entire season it comes out to 55 home runs for the year.

''I thanked Pedro for standing up for me,'' Jacobs said. ``What he did was awesome. He said he remembered what it was like coming up. For a guy like Pedro Martinez to stand up for you was something I'll never forget.''

Jacobs has always had to prove himself.

''It seemed like he always had so much going against him,'' said Collette Jacobs, a mortgage processor in San Diego. ``He was always so determined, and there was never a doubt in his mind or my mind that he would make it. But he was always an underdog.

``When you're drafted in the 43rd round, who is going to pay attention to you? But he has always found a way to make people notice him. They can't deny him. He opens eyes.''

Now Jacobs has a chance to be an everyday big-leaguer. Jacobs came to the Marlins along with right-hander Yusmeiro Petit and infielder Grant Psomas in the trade that sent Carlos Delgado to the Mets. No one expects Jacobs to replace Delgado's 33 homers, but Jacobs expects a lot out of this Marlins team.

''We all know what the opportunity is here, and we feel we can do something special,'' he said.

``I wouldn't say I'm surprised to get here. I put in a lot of hard work to get here. I always believed I would make it. That goes back to when I was growing up.

``It goes back to my mom believing in me.''

phillybroncosnut
04-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Trade alert:

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060401&content_id=1380295&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi

I'm a bit disappointed the Phils let Tejada go. Especially with Delucci being plugged in as a 4th outfielder. I wonder if the Phils might be close to trading Abreu or Burrell?

Rich Karlis
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Second game of the MLB season in the books as the Mets beat the Nats 3-2. Game ends with Beltran throwing out Vidro at second base.

Jens1893
04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Second game of the MLB season in the books as the Mets beat the Nats 3-2. Game ends with Beltran throwing out Vidro at second base.

That call against Soriano at home was a bit controversial.

SouthStndJunkie
04-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Just sitting down to watch my Tigers play their opener at KC.

DBroncos4life
04-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Cards are killing the Phillys.

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Cards are killing the Phillys.

10-0 in the 4th. Pujols has homered and driven in two. Rolen hit a grand slam, which I'm sure he got a nice ovation for in Philly. :wiggle:

DBroncos4life
04-03-2006, 02:36 PM
A-Rod better jack two out tonight if Pujols hit one.

DBroncos4life
04-03-2006, 02:45 PM
See what happens when I pass on Pujols, what a dick :rofl:

broncosteven
04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Anyone see Thome hit that bomb last night? WS Repeat. Just need to sort out who is going to be the closer.

BTW it is fun not to have to mock or put up with Cub fans anymore! I can just sit back & enjoy pure baseball this year with no loud mouth northsiders spoiling it. Crosstown Classic will be mighty fun this year.

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
See what happens when I pass on Pujols, what a dick :rofl:

Make that 2 HR's & 4 RBI's on the day for Pujols. :~ohyah!:

DBroncos4life
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Make that 2 HR's & 4 RBI's on the day for Pujols. :~ohyah!:
A-Rod now owes me 4HRs and 8rbi's today. Zito is going to get lit up.

Why is the Rambler pitching for the Tigers instead of Bonderman??

SouthStndJunkie
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
A-Rod now owes me 4HRs and 8rbi's today. Zito is going to get lit up.

Why is the Rambler pitching for the Tigers instead of Bonderman??

Leyland's decision....Bonderman is pitching in the home opener.

DBroncos4life
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Damn the cubs just put up another 4 runs without a HR

Jens1893
04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Dodgers have found their way back into the game with 3 runs in the fifth ... 8-5 Atlanta

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
RBI double in the bottom of the 8th for Todd Helton to tie it at 2-2.

DBroncos4life
04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Dodgers have found their way back into the game with 3 runs in the fifth ... 8-5 Atlanta
Go Dodgers!!!!!

DBroncos4life
04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I hope that Carlos Guillén can get back to his 04 form. Granted that was kind of a fluke when you look at his career but I really could use those numbers this year.

-Slap-
04-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Anyone see Thome hit that bomb last night? WS Repeat. Just need to sort out who is going to be the closer.

BTW it is fun not to have to mock or put up with Cub fans anymore! I can just sit back & enjoy pure baseball this year with no loud mouth northsiders spoiling it. Crosstown Classic will be mighty fun this year.
The ChiSox will not repeat. They will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Clockwork Orange
04-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Brian Fuentes picked up where he left off last season. He went 1 1/3 innings, 0 H, 0 BB and 3 K's. Nice to see. :yep:

Crowpointer
04-03-2006, 05:08 PM
From 2:05 on the productivity in the city of Boston dropped to zero. Most offices had at least one TV on . Papi homered and Foulke struggled again in the ninth which sounds like an 05 repeat except that Schilling looked like 04 form ! Home opener next week.

DomCasual
04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
ROCKIES WIN!

161 to go! They control their own destiny! :yayaya:

SpringStein
04-03-2006, 05:28 PM
ROCKIES WIN!

161 to go! They control their own destiny! :yayaya:

The encouraging thing is this is the kind of game they lost last year. The pitching was good throughout. The questions of whether this will last are there, of course, but it's a slight encouragement.

OrangeShadow
04-03-2006, 05:30 PM
From 2:05 on the productivity in the city of Boston dropped to zero. Most offices had at least one TV on . Papi homered and Foulke struggled again in the ninth which sounds like an 05 repeat except that Schilling looked like 04 form ! Home opener next week.

Coco's catch was amazing, Papelbon looked spectacular, Papi was well Papi. Schill looked great.

As far as foulke i think he has to work his way back its kind of a wait and see but i was def. impressed all around

RhymesayersDU
04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I think I'm going to attempt to watch more baseball this year. Never really paid any attention to it. Go Rockies.

DomCasual
04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
The encouraging thing is this is the kind of game they lost last year. The pitching was good throughout. The questions of whether this will last are there, of course, but it's a slight encouragement.
Having only followed the game on ESPN Gamecase, I'd say the encouraging things are:

1) Jason Jennings performance. I thought this was interesting from Tracy Ringolsby's column today: "(Jennings) 49 big-league wins are the ninth most of any National League pitcher since Jennings made his debut Aug. 23, 2001, just one less than Randy John- son."

What kind of season does he have if he can get some momentum in April?

Plus, Jennings threw 98 pitches, 62 for strikes.

2) The bullpen pitched 4 innings and gave up no earned runs. It's what they are supposed to do. Let's hope they keep it up.

2b) Brian Fuentes - 4 batters, 3 strikeouts, 17 pitches, 14 strikes. Nice.

3) Todd Helton making up for an error (haven't seen the play) with a HUGE RBI double.

I really, really want them to push .500 this year. They seem to have solid prospects lined up to hit the majors late this year and next year. With the youth they already have playing in Denver, they could be in for a solid run. But they have to improved every year.

Hogan11
04-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Man, I hate the Brewers

CUBuffman08
04-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Having only followed the game on ESPN Gamecase, I'd say the encouraging things are:

1) Jason Jennings performance. I thought this was interesting from Tracy Ringolsby's column today: "(Jennings) 49 big-league wins are the ninth most of any National League pitcher since Jennings made his debut Aug. 23, 2001, just one less than Randy John- son."

What kind of season does he have if he can get some momentum in April?

Plus, Jennings threw 98 pitches, 62 for strikes.

2) The bullpen pitched 4 innings and gave up no earned runs. It's what they are supposed to do. Let's hope they keep it up.

2b) Brian Fuentes - 4 batters, 3 strikeouts, 17 pitches, 14 strikes. Nice.

3) Todd Helton making up for an error (haven't seen the play) with a HUGE RBI double.

I really, really want them to push .500 this year. They seem to have solid prospects lined up to hit the majors late this year and next year. With the youth they already have playing in Denver, they could be in for a solid run. But they have to improved every year.

Fuentes makes lefties look like little leaguers, I was very impressed with his outing.

SouthStndJunkie
04-03-2006, 07:55 PM
I hope that Carlos Guillén can get back to his 04 form. Granted that was kind of a fluke when you look at his career but I really could use those numbers this year.

Guillen looks like he is healthy so far. Let's hope his knees hold up, the Tigers announcers indicated that his knees and legs feel better than they did last year.

Zumuya, their stud rookie pitcher (along with Verlander), showed some filthy stuff in his two innings today....Leyland let him make his debut with a one run lead in the seventh. All you baseball roto heads may want to keep an eye on him. Also...look for Chris Shelton to have a monster year for the Tigs. He went yard twice and is proving last year was not a fluke.

Kenny Rogers looked very polished in picking up the win.

-Slap-
04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Zumuya, their stud rookie pitcher (along with Verlander), showed some filthy stuff in his two innings today....Leyland let him make his debut with a one run lead in the seventh. All you baseball roto heads may want to keep an eye on him.
I snagged Rodney off the wire in my AL Only league and notched a save today. Do you think Zumuya could leapfrog him? How long is Jones supposed to be out anyway?

What kind of numbers do you project for Curtis Granderson this year? I snagged him at the end of several drafts for cheap speed, but it looks like he's got some pop, too. Of course, his home park suppresses power, so I'm not expecting much in that department. I'm just wondering of you think its realistic to expect 30 bags and 100 runs?

SoCalBronco
04-03-2006, 09:05 PM
The Big Hurt with #449. I'll always support him no matter where he goes.

WABronco
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Brian Fuentes picked up where he left off last season. He went 1 1/3 innings, 0 H, 0 BB and 3 K's. Nice to see. :yep:

Sick!

SouthStndJunkie
04-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I snagged Rodney off the wire in my AL Only league and notched a save today. Do you think Zumuya could leapfrog him? How long is Jones supposed to be out anyway?

What kind of numbers do you project for Curtis Granderson this year? I snagged him at the end of several drafts for cheap speed, but it looks like he's got some pop, too. Of course, his home park suppresses power, so I'm not expecting much in that department. I'm just wondering of you think its realistic to expect 30 bags and 100 runs?

I don't think Zumuya will leapfrog Rodney in the near future. Jones will most likely be out 2-3 weeks. Then Rodney will probably be the set up man.

As for Granderson, I don't see him stealing many bases. If he is the every day starter he should get 20-25 homers, maybe 85 runs and 70 RBIs. He strikes out a lot though. His OBP is not what I want out of my lead off hitter. He should get his fair share of triples in Comerica. I am not sold on him yet. He did have a nice spring though.

ro_50
04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Indians are playing much better today thus far.

They are up 7-1 in the top of the 5th.

Indians have scored well today w/ Runners in scoring position.

Aaron Boone is on fire, much to my suprise.

Jim Thome hit another HR for the White Sox.

Jens1893
04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
westbrook had a good game ... boone 4-4, 4 rbi and a homer

ro_50
04-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I hope Boone gets off to a much better start this year than last.

He had a great game today.

Westbrook was solid before getting into some trouble in the seventh.

I hope if they hold onto this lead and win the game, I know its really early, but it gives them a little confidence that they can hang with a team like the White Sox.

They dropped 15 of 19 games last year to them and I dont know how many of those were by one-run deficits.

DBroncos4life
04-04-2006, 02:29 PM
I hope Boone gets off to a much better start this year than last.

He had a great game today.

Westbrook was solid before getting into some trouble in the seventh.

I hope if they hold onto this lead and win the game, I know its really early, but it gives them a little confidence that they can hang with a team like the White Sox.

They dropped 15 of 19 games last year to them and I dont know how many of those were by one-run deficits.
I've always liked boone, I hope he has a better year this year then last.

WABronco
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Ahhh yes, Kenji is starting to tear it up! 2 HR's in 2 games!!!

Jens1893
04-05-2006, 03:30 PM
the white sox/indians game is a good one ... going to extra innings

ro_50
04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Big double by Jason Michaels.

Indians did something they couldnt do last year, which was sac bunt.

Grady Sizemore got the big one that resulted in Casey Blake moving to second.

Then Michaels drove him home.

I hope they can hold this lead and get out of Chitown with winning two out of three.

Jens1893
04-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Tribe wins!

ro_50
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Big win.

Its only one series but hopefully this is a good steppingstone for the Tribe, who lost too many one run games last year.

White Sox are going to be freaking tough and I hope this AL Central race will be a two team race and not one (the White Sox).

WABronco
04-05-2006, 09:46 PM
M's win again!! First place is there's (and Felix hasn't even pitched yet)!!! Woopeeee!

Crowpointer
04-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Very early but Beckett looked great last night.,he hit 97 on a couple of his pitches. Foulke didn't even take his coat off in the ninth . Francona went right to Papelbon who was light out. Could be like 04 with two aces again. On to Baltimore.

OrangeShadow
04-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Beckett did well despite not having awesome control

Paplebon is the freaking man! hes gonna make a hell of a start very soon.
Beckett was still filthy god i love this team already

DBroncos4life
04-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Gagne is done.

DBroncos4life
04-06-2006, 08:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2399907

Mags is on fire to start the year too, I so wanted to draft him but I have quite a few Tigers on my team as it is now. LOL

broncocalijohn
04-07-2006, 01:44 AM
M's win again!! First place is there's (and Felix hasn't even pitched yet)!!! Woopeeee!

If some dont know why this is funny, Carl thinks nothing was around if the bible didnt mention it. So, dinosars are made up like the easter bunny. Them bones are a hoax.

broncocalijohn
04-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Chris shelton started playing pretty well last year for Tigers. He now has 4 hrs. Salmon of my beloved angels has hit two HR and might be on his way to comeback player of the year at 37 and not playing since august of 2004. Great guy that deserves everything good.

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2006, 07:13 PM
How about my boy Chris Shelton!!

2-2 with 2 triples and 3 RBIs thus far tonight.

Batting .722 on the year with 5 HRs, 2 Triples, and 9 RBIs.

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Verlander is pitching a solid game so far tonight.

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2006, 07:15 PM
After 4 innings, Detroit 5 Texas 0.

Crowpointer
04-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Papelbon set them down in order in the 9th. 4-1 to start the year !

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Shelton now 3-3 tonight, batting .737 on the year.

phisig150
04-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Dodgers will be the suprise team of the year and lately I've been too excited about their lineup. Losing Gagne hurts though but Baez will get us by until we get the most dominating force (when healthy) back in the lineup

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Slap will be happy, Curtis Granderson with a 2-run bomb.

Tigers 7 Rangers 0

-Slap-
04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Slap will be happy, Curtis Granderson with a 2-run bomb.

Tigers 7 Rangers 0
I am happy to hear that. I really wish I would have drafted Chris Shelton instead of Dan Johnson, Prince Fielder or Mike Jacobs as a UTL on one of my teams, though. I thought his home park might hold him back. Not bloody likely!

Play2win
04-08-2006, 07:56 PM
I see that D-LEE is back to his old tricks again...

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Justin Verlander's line tonight:

7 Innings 2 Hits 0 ER 2 Walks 7 Ks

89 pitches, 59 strikes

-Slap-
04-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Justin Verlander's line tonight:

7 Innings 2 Hits 0 ER 2 Walks 7 Ks

89 pitches, 59 strikes
Might be time to visit the old WW.

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Not a bad idea.

-Slap-
04-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Not a bad idea.
He was a popular pickup, but I snagged him in a couple leagues. I'll probably keep him on the bench in the coming week, though, he's got Cleveland in his next start.

The minor league numbers are pretty nice. One earned run in seven starts at AA for a microscopic ERA of 0.28. You rarely see ratios like that outside of high school softball.

-Slap-
04-08-2006, 08:54 PM
The Dodgers insist Gagne will be back this year.

According to the Los Angeles Times, "Eric Gagne's elbow surgery Friday was "a very simple little thing," according to Dr. Frank Jobe, and the All-Star closer could be back by late May. Jobe and Dr. Ralph Gambardella removed a sensory nerve that caused pain when Gagne threw, digging just beneath the skin and cutting it out in a 30-minute procedure. Jobe said the ligament appeared strong. "Now it's just a matter of the skin healing," he said. The Dodgers can only hope Gagne's recovery goes as smoothly as Jobe predicts. Last year, Gagne suffered a sprained elbow ligament at the end of spring training because he had rushed back from a knee injury, then had the June surgery after appearing in 14 games."

DomCasual
04-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Rockies up big early, with Zach Day pitching.

If they come out of April at .500 or better, watch out. They could be right in there in the mediocre NL West.

WABronco
04-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Yo Gardenhire and Ryan! Dump Lohse...insert Liriano!

Breck Bronc
04-08-2006, 11:21 PM
The Rockies needed to get out of pitching friendly Coors Field and into a hitters park like Petco to get their bats going. 22 runs in two games against the Padres.

OrangeShadow
04-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Antoher great performance by schilling and our defense. Its great to win close low scoring games this early. 2 years ago we would of lost gams like this. I love this team already

-Slap-
04-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Hey Cardinal fans, anybody have an update on Anthony Reyes? I was disappointed that he couldn't nail down a spot in the rotation this spring. Then really disappointed when they sent him to Rochester. Is a callup likely in the next few weeks?

MajikMan7
04-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Brewers 5-0, Ben Sheets is yet to make his first start, watch out!

Bronco LB 59
04-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey Cardinal fans, anybody have an update on Anthony Reyes? I was disappointed that he couldn't nail down a spot in the rotation this spring. Then really disappointed when they sent him to Rochester. Is a callup likely in the next few weeks?

-Slap-

Did you draft Anthony Reyes on your NL only squad? He didn't have the greatest debut with Triple-A Memphis.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_06_mrbaaa_orhaaa_1

Regardless of the Dave Duncan factor, I don't think anybody can save Ponson's lard ass from sucking.

Here are a few other NL notables to watch in Chad Billingsley and Jason Hirsh:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_06_freaaa_lvgaaa_1

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_06_rreaaa_nozaaa_1

Bronco LB 59
04-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Rockies up big early, with Zach Day pitching.

If they come out of April at .500 or better, watch out. They could be right in there in the mediocre NL West.

Double digit run games are so rare at Petco Park. The Rockies had the best record in the 2nd half in the NL West. I still think they need to get Yorbit healthy and find themselves a 2B. Jason Smith isn't going to get the job done there.

Jens1893
04-09-2006, 03:28 PM
rockies are hitting peavy hard here ... 5 consecutive hits in the 5th, 0 out, atkins on 2nd base and 3 runs in already

sullivan had 2 triples in that inning ... peavy left the game with 8 earned runs in 4.0 innings pitched

-Slap-
04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
-Slap-

Did you draft Anthony Reyes on your NL only squad? He didn't have the greatest debut with Triple-A Memphis.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_06_mrbaaa_orhaaa_1

Regardless of the Dave Duncan factor, I don't think anybody can save Ponson's lard ass from sucking.

Here are a few other NL notables to watch in Chad Billingsley and Jason Hirsh:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_06_freaaa_lvgaaa_1

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_06_rreaaa_nozaaa_1

Yeah, I'm carrying him on my bench right now because there's literally nobody on the waiver wire worth picking up. I'm thinking about taking a flyer on Jon Rauch in the hopes Washington will put him in the rotation.

My Ace is spinning a two-hit masterpiece through seven in Seattle.

http://www.cnnsi.com/baseball/2003/allstar/news/2003/07/13/futures_preview_st/t1_harden_all.jpg

Hogan11
04-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Buccos picked up their first win today and looked good doing it.

-Slap-
04-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Buccos picked up their first win today and looked good doing it.
Holy mackeral. Roberto Hernandez with the save today. That guy is as old as me.

Jori
04-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Rockies sweep the Fathers...who is this Jason Smith guy? He had two dingers today.

Bronco LB 59
04-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Rockies sweep the Fathers...who is this Jason Smith guy? He had two dingers today.

Journeyman 2B who has spent a lot of time in Des Moines, Durham and Toledo.

OrangeShadow
04-10-2006, 06:23 AM
wake was solid today especially when he had 1st and 3rd no outs and proceeded to strike out the side

Crowpointer
04-10-2006, 09:18 AM
wake was solid today especially when he had 1st and 3rd no outs and proceeded to strike out the side
On the bad news front CBS4 Boston has learned that CF Coco Crisp has fractured his left index finger and could be out 6 to 8 weeks. Just when things were going so well.

-Slap-
04-10-2006, 10:40 AM
On the bad news front CBS4 Boston has learned that CF Coco Crisp has fractured his left index finger and could be out 6 to 8 weeks. Just when things were going so well.
I could have traded him last week, too. Oh well, at least I found out in time to get him out of this week's starting lineup.

Rich Karlis
04-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Bannister pitched a solid 7 innings today and Beltran hit one of the longest bombs RFK has ever seen. Mets win 7-1.

Yanks are up 9-7 in there home opener. Man on 1st and 2nd with 1 out top of the ninth, Mariano on the mound.

Jens1893
04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
yankees win ... nice 3 run shot by jeter

Smelvin
04-11-2006, 03:07 PM
The Dodgers insist Gagne will be back this year.

Gagne will never be the same. Not even close. And that's IF he makes it back.

Anyone who doubts that he was on roids his miraculous seasons is ignorant.

But he was just one of many that juiced, in addition to BB. Perhaps someone will write a book about him one day ;-)

Jens1893
04-12-2006, 06:46 PM
The boo birds are out for Wells at Fenway.

WABronco
04-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Richie Sexson owns Eric Wedge's soul!

WABronco
04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
The boo birds are out for Wells at Fenway.

Good...

From an outsider's perspective, he seems like a little prick.

Play2win
04-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Richie Sexson owns Eric Wedge's soul!
I saw the Kingdome go DOWN. In Person. I even knew somebody who gave me a flip-book of it happening, a picture every fraction of a second or so. So, if you flipped through it, it looked like you were watching a video of it. VERY COOL...

Play2win
04-12-2006, 11:15 PM
BTW- I think D-LEE is going to have one hell of a year with JUAN PIERRE leading off all year...

WABronco
04-13-2006, 12:36 AM
I saw the Kingdome go DOWN. In Person. I even knew somebody who gave me a flip-book of it happening, a picture every fraction of a second or so. So, if you flipped through it, it looked like you were watching a video of it. VERY COOL...

I was in the Sheraton (sp) when they nuked a hotel nextdoor. It was pretty cool...dusty as hell!

Play2win
04-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I was in the Sheraton (sp) when they nuked a hotel nextdoor. It was pretty cool...dusty as hell!
After they imploded the KINGDOME, you could smell vinegar and lime for miles...

OrangeShadow
04-13-2006, 05:20 AM
wells is ****ing horrid. i really hope they figure a way to get rid of him.
o well cant win em all

-Slap-
04-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Gagne will never be the same. Not even close. And that's IF he makes it back.

Anyone who doubts that he was on roids his miraculous seasons is ignorant.

But he was just one of many that juiced, in addition to BB. Perhaps someone will write a book about him one day ;-)
Yeah, the whole world is juiced. That validates your hero. Right, Smaldick?

Crowpointer
04-13-2006, 12:21 PM
wells is ****ing horrid. i really hope they figure a way to get rid of him.
o well cant win em all
Herald says he might just retire if he can't turn things around. He was shelled even worse in Pawtucket before this start. I'm sure they'll give him some time to see if he can't turn it around. I don't know if you know about this website but very funny stuff www.bostondirtdogs.com

TheManeMan
04-13-2006, 01:14 PM
What the hell is up with Oliver Perez...he got rocked again this morning...he's ****ing up my fantasy team era...Hogan whats up with your boy?

-Slap-
04-13-2006, 01:20 PM
What the hell is up with Oliver Perez...he got rocked again this morning...he's ****ing up my fantasy team era...Hogan whats up with your boy?
His velocity is down this year and his control has always been shakey.

TheManeMan
04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
so what should i do? should i hang onto him or drop his ass?

I have Blanton too...and he got rocked as well...

OrangeShadow
04-13-2006, 01:43 PM
wells needs to retire

to make room for the rocket come june :)

Smelvin
04-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah, the whole world is juiced. That validates your hero. Right, Smaldick?

Not at all, homo lover.

It just shows that people who isolate Barry and pretend he was alone are complete morons. Yourself included.

Hogan11
04-13-2006, 04:13 PM

You have him on your fantasy team? Dump him. Slap nailed it but here's an article that pretty much sums up the ephemeral Oliver Perez:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06100/680963-150.stm

The other staff problems IMO can be attributed directly to new pitching coach Jim Colborn....a brilliant guy who felt it was necessary to mess with the mechanics of a pitcher who was 8-2 with a 1.81 ERA last season. Of course, Duke hasn't even been a shadow of his former self thus far this season as a result.

Another long year for Bucco fans it appears :(

SouthStndJunkie
04-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Tigers lost again today.

Verlander got rocked, but Shelton smacked his 7th HR of the year.

B-Love
04-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Tigers lost again today.

Verlander got rocked, but Shelton smacked his 7th HR of the year.

If you are to win your division, there will be games where you overcome some serious odds, to get a W. When you give up 21 hits in 9 innings, and still win, that is pretty amazing. That'w what the Sox did today. Of course it doesn't hurt when you get 18 base hits yourself. But there probably have not been may games where the opponent averages just under 2 1/2 hits per Inning and you still win. Wow!!

Garland looked like meat out there again, but the Sox lineup is looking good from #2 through #6.

Podsednik and Brian Anderson have been awful in the leadoff and number 9 spots. And Pods has been a complete hack in LF so far too. He's not right.

For us Sox fans, the past three days have been great. A big sweep at Comerica, to avoid a bad start.

TheManeMan
04-13-2006, 04:53 PM
You have him on your fantasy team? Dump him. Slap nailed it but here's an article that pretty much sums up the ephemeral Oliver Perez:

The other staff problems IMO can be attributed directly to new pitching coach Jim Colborn....a brilliant guy who felt it was necessary to mess with the mechanics of a pitcher who was 8-2 with a 1.81 ERA last season. Of course, Duke hasn't even been a shadow of his former self thus far this season as a result.

Thanks Hogan...that shines light on the situation at hand on my fantasy team...I'm just glad I didnt draft him and picked him via Free Agency afterwards...maybe ill hold onto him for a couple more starts and just leave him on the bench just incase something radically chagnes...other than that, thanks again...

WABronco
04-13-2006, 04:58 PM

**** Colborn...

I've got Duke on my fantasy team too. What an asshole...

-Slap-
04-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Not at all, homo lover.

It just shows that people who isolate Barry and pretend he was alone are complete morons. Yourself included.

Still scarred over your daddy's love for men, huh, bigot? Upset your not the only twink on his dance card now, I guess.

SouthStndJunkie
04-13-2006, 06:33 PM
If you are to win your division, there will be games where you overcome some serious odds, to get a W. When you give up 21 hits in 9 innings, and still win, that is pretty amazing. That'w what the Sox did today. Of course it doesn't hurt when you get 18 base hits yourself. But there probably have not been may games where the opponent averages just under 2 1/2 hits per Inning and you still win. Wow!!

Garland looked like meat out there again, but the Sox lineup is looking good from #2 through #6.

Podsednik and Brian Anderson have been awful in the leadoff and number 9 spots. And Pods has been a complete hack in LF so far too. He's not right.

For us Sox fans, the past three days have been great. A big sweep at Comerica, to avoid a bad start.

Thome looks like he is back to mashing again.

SoCalBronco
04-13-2006, 06:38 PM

Thome has been amazing. Im glad to see he still has some gas left in the tank. Gotta do something about Garland, ever since that middle inning in the KC game, he has been just awful. Maybe give McCarthy one of his next starts to send a message.

-Slap-
04-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Thome has been amazing. Im glad to see he still has some gas left in the tank. Gotta do something about Garland, ever since that middle inning in the KC game, he has been just awful. Maybe give McCarthy one of his next starts to send a message.
Thome has shocked me this year. I thought his bat speed was gone and not coming back.

TheManeMan
04-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Ok ok...I'll say it...He's on 'roids too...

Ha!

WABronco
04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Francoeur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Franklin sucks at life...

Felix is rusty as hell.

OrangeShadow
04-13-2006, 08:15 PM
man sox made a game of it late.

-Slap-
04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Francoeur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Franklin sucks at life...

Felix is rusty as hell.
I was actually hoping Frenchy might struggle a little while longer. I think some people were getting ready to panic waive him.

My pitching staff is a freaking abattoir right now.

Don't waive Blanton. I won't, even if I want to kick him in the nuts today.

Al Wilson
04-13-2006, 09:43 PM
man sox made a game of it late.
Ted Lilly simply owns that team.

WABronco
04-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I was actually hoping Frenchy might struggle a little while longer. I think some people were getting ready to panic waive him.

My pitching staff is a freaking abattoir right now.

Don't waive Blanton. I won't, even if I want to kick him in the nuts today.

Let's just say I was teetering a bit...

WABronco
04-14-2006, 08:41 PM
OH YESS!!!

FRANCOEUR IS MURDERIZING!!!:militia:

SouthStndJunkie
04-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Chris Shelton had a double and a triple today and Kenny Rogers pitched 8 innings of solid ball. Tigers win 5-1 over the Tribe.

Bronco LB 59
04-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Chris Shelton had a double and a triple today and Kenny Rogers pitched 8 innings of solid ball. Tigers win 5-1 over the Tribe.

Just a little over two years ago, the Pirates didn't think Shelton was one of their top 40 players.

SouthStndJunkie
04-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Just a little over two years ago, the Pirates didn't think Shelton was one of their top 40 players.

Yep...their loss was Detroit's gain via Rule 5. He impressed me last year, but this year he has been amazing. I am sure it will even out, but I still could see him hitting about 35 HRs and driving in 110 runs or so.

24champ
04-15-2006, 12:35 AM
1-1 Dodgers/ Giants game.

Bronco LB 59
04-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Yep...their loss was Detroit's gain via Rule 5. He impressed me last year, but this year he has been amazing. I am sure it will even out, but I still could see him hitting about 35 HRs and driving in 110 runs or so.

I was expecting 25 home runs before the season started, but the hot start makes those figures you posted reachable.

The Pirates left him unprotected probably because he doesn't pass the eyeball test; he doesn't look very imtimidating when you look at him, but boy, he can rake.

phillybroncosnut
04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
2 words...........

CHASE UTLEY!

ro_50
04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
About damn time, The Tribe break their 3-game slide.

"Pronk" is on a tear this season.

WABronco
04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
2 words...........

CHASE UTLEY!

8 words...

I'm ****ing glad he's on my fantasy team!

WABronco
04-15-2006, 05:29 PM
About damn time, The Tribe break their 3-game slide.

"Pronk" is on a tear this season.

Mehh, Haf can't handle the M's bullpen. Putz owns his soul!!!!

24champ
04-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Good game by the dodgers on Jackie Robinson Day! 3-1 Dodgers win.....plus a couple of Giants fans shiat canned by starting to rile up the crowd and they got kicked out.People were throwing beers and some guy got a giants fan square in the face with a hotdog with all the condiments on it LOL. A fight broke out a couple of sections from us. I dont know but these Giants fans are stupid for starting up shiat.

Bronco LB 59
04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Good game by the dodgers on Jackie Robinson Day! 3-1 Dodgers win.....plus a couple of Giants fans shiat canned by starting to rile up the crowd and they got kicked out.People were throwing beers and some guy got a giants fan square in the face with a hotdog with all the condiments on it LOL. A fight broke out a couple of sections from us. I dont know but these Giants fans are stupid for starting up shiat.

Giants fans are very arrogant. I hate their lame chant, "What's the matter with [insert outfielder's last name]? He's a bum!"

TheManeMan
04-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Here's a funny picture from Friday nights game...

-Slap-
04-16-2006, 04:01 AM
Is that a Dodger fan taunting B*rry about where he sticks the syringe or a typical Giant fan offering B*rry his cornhole?

TomServo
04-16-2006, 04:37 AM
Todd Helton Rocks Barry Sucks so bad. i WANT mR. BIGhEADS POSTERS AT EVERY STADIUM.

TheManeMan
04-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Is that a Dodger fan taunting B*rry about where he sticks the syringe or a typical Giant fan offering B*rry his cornhole?

Well if you look at the dudes hand it looks like he's pretending to hold a needle...so I'd go with #1 even though #2 could be possible too...

-Slap-
04-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I was kidding. Even though its a funny picture, I kind of feel bad for the kid in the Giants cap.

DBroncos4life
04-16-2006, 12:45 PM
lets go Sheets

SouthStndJunkie
04-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Shelton smacked his 8th HR today.

-Slap-
04-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Albert Pujols third homer today was of the walk off variety.

Bronco LB 59
04-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Albert Pujols third homer today was of the walk off variety.

I don't think baseball has seen a better hitter since Ted Williams. Praise the baseball gods for creating him.

24champ
04-16-2006, 10:56 PM
LOL Classic! I went to the game last night and today and I dont think Ive ever seen a more hated player @ Dodger stadium than Barroid.

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2006, 02:14 AM
The Rockies waste a gem of a performance by Aaron Cooke and lose 1-0. :cuss:

OrangeShadow
04-17-2006, 05:52 AM
man i saw a great game sunday and met 7 players and 2 coaches.

WABronco
04-17-2006, 10:41 AM

Sherrill>>>>>Ortiz:yayaya:

Hogan11
04-17-2006, 10:41 AM
The Pirates left him unprotected probably because he doesn't pass the eyeball test; he doesn't look very imtimidating when you look at him, but boy, he can rake.

Chris Shelton is a very painful name to be uttering around me...thanks for bringing that up ::)

24champ
04-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Beckett tore it up, thanks to him I am kicking ass in taco's fantasy league....8')

where you at orangeshadow?:D

WABronco
04-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Beckett tore it up, thanks to him I am kicking ass in taco's fantasy league....8')

where you at orangeshadow?:D

It's a sad offense when all you have to do to win is locate the fastball and throw a few curves. Lets see him do that against the skankees...

WABronco
04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Sherrill>>>>>Ortiz:yayaya:

24champ
04-17-2006, 11:03 AM
It's a sad offense when all you have to do to win is locate the fastball and throw a few curves. Lets see him do that against the skankees...
your just pissed cuz your 5-8-4 in the league.:-*....dont worry we got alot of games to be played.

WABronco
04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
your just pissed cuz your 5-8-4 in the league.:-*....dont worry we got alot of games to be played.

;D

Lol, I'm pissed cuz the Mariners suck at hitting. They still don't have an RBI from the five hole...

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Chris Shelton is a very painful name to be uttering around me...thanks for bringing that up ::)

Shelton hit #9 this afternoon.

Smelvin
04-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Bad news for the NL West:

Giants lead the division at 7-4, all the while.....

- Bonds isn't hitting....yet

- Schmidt has been struggling w/ control

- Lowry is on the DL (coming back soon)

- Benitez is on the DL (coming back this week)

- Durham hitting .160

When all the above flukes straighten themselves out....G's win the NL West by 10+ games.

And a special shout out to the Dodgers for allowing the Giants to come into their house and win 2/3 while scoring a grand total of 5 runs.

24champ
04-17-2006, 03:31 PM

- Durham hitting .160

When all the above flukes straighten themselves out....G's win the NL West by 10+ games.

And a special shout out to the Dodgers for allowing the Giants to come into their house and win 2/3 while scoring a grand total of 5 runs.
LOL Barroid will retire or end up in Prison before season is over.

Bronco LB 59
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM

- Durham hitting .160

10 plus games? NorCal chron is pretty good ****. Take it easy on that stuff. Its potent.

Clockwork Orange
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Pujols tied a major league record by homering in his 4th consecutive at bat with a 2 run shot in the first inning against the Pirates tonight.

Unreal.

WABronco
04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Tomorrow is Felix day!!!

Hogan11
04-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Pujols tied a major league record by homering in his 4th consecutive at bat with a 2 run shot in the first inning against the Pirates tonight.

Unreal.

I f'n hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE the Cards!

At least the Buccos didn't get blown out. With the struggles of the young staff and guys headed to the DL on a daily basis...that alone is a minor miracle.

-Slap-
04-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Apparently Beltran is going to start in with the hamstring bull**** early this year.

-Slap-
04-17-2006, 10:06 PM

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Props to Pedro Martinez for his 200th win.

Props to Jimmy Leyland for going off on the Tigers for their lackluster effort today.....he is just what the Tigers needed.

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Greg Maddux looks very sharp so far this year.

broncosteven
04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Any one see the Game Contreras pitched last night for White Sox?

Sox repeat!

WABronco
04-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Sox repeat!

I've got him on my fantasy team too...

MileHighMagic
04-18-2006, 05:22 PM
I've got him on my fantasy team too...
Me too. The other team from Chicago is gonna win it this yr though.

DBroncos4life
04-18-2006, 06:07 PM
I tried to trade Giambi a couple of times, thanks for rejecting that people. It sucks having Rolen as my utillity guy and leaving Giambi on the bench

Bronco LB 59
04-18-2006, 06:42 PM
I tried to trade Giambi a couple of times, thanks for rejecting that people. It sucks having Rolen as my utillity guy and leaving Giambi on the bench

We don't mind if you drop Giambi;D

DBroncos4life
04-18-2006, 06:52 PM
We don't mind if you drop Giambi;D
Im really not liking taking Arod over Pujols!! Giambi played well last year and it looks like he will again this year. Its still too early really start worrying abot things.

WABronco
04-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Tomorrow is Felix day!!!

Where's the command Felix???

SoCalBronco
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM

Sox repeat!

8 out of the last 9!

And Garland actually earned his paycheck tonight.

Bronco LB 59
04-18-2006, 09:56 PM

Where's the command Felix???

Felix settled down from the 3rd inning on and racked up 9 Ks. Another frustrating game, but he'll be fine.

Hogan11
04-18-2006, 10:05 PM
The good guys beat the snot out of those f'n red bird bastids tonight 12 - 4.....only one game I know, but it was a humiliating defeat nonetheless. Not even Pujols could save them tonight.....proof positive that there is sometimes, justice in the universe.

MajikMan7
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Gabe Gross!!! Pinch hitter of the Year!?
look at these stats for this pinch hitter

15 AB 5 R 6 H 1 2B 3 HR 9 RBI 429 AVG

talk about clutch

WABronco
04-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Felix settled down from the 3rd inning on and racked up 9 Ks. Another frustrating game, but he'll be fine.

I know, I know. I'm not that bad...

Not sure if they're serious or sane, but there are already some bozos saying he's just another Gil Meche with better stuff. Right...........

As a matter of fact, one of today's headlines was "What's wrong with Felix?"

Good pickup in fant BTW. I was trying to get Cabrera back on my roster, but I guess I paid for being dumb enough to drop him in the first place...

WABronco
04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
CRAZY CARL WINS IT!!!

http://images.lookoutlanding.com/images/admin/go_m_s.gif

Bronco LB 59
04-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Good pickup in fant BTW. I was trying to get Cabrera back on my roster, but I guess I paid for being dumb enough to drop him in the first place...

Cabrera could have a breakout year, but most likely he's going to bring the "feast or famine" outings all season long. Wicked stuff, but the right-handed version of Oliver Perez.

The biggest heist of the league was you picking up Kelvim Escobar. I didn't even know he was available. That was money!

OrangeShadow
04-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Schilling is gonna give beckett a run for his money for the cy young

B-Love
04-20-2006, 09:00 AM
8 out of the last 9!

And Garland actually earned his paycheck tonight.

Scotty Pods is starting to hit too (he's probably a good cheap pickup right now, as he was dumped in a lot of leagues early I'm sure). This three game series was only against KC, but for the first time this year, they resembled the 2005 squad.

They underwhelmed with the lumber in the series, but pitched lights out. And Podsednik created some havoc on the bases, and had 5 hits in the series.

When you can win two different ways offensively (small ball and bash ball), and you have 5 very good or excellent starters, you will be a tough team to beat. Not to mention a number 6 who could be most teams # 3(McCarthy).

They've gotta get more production out of the 9 hole though. Brian Anderson looks lost at the plate right now. And I'm bummed Mackowiak has started so poorly too.

DBroncos4life
04-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Why did you drop Bedard, 52?

WABronco
04-20-2006, 10:17 AM
The biggest heist of the league was you picking up Kelvim Escobar. I didn't even know he was available. That was money!

Yessssss!

SoCalBronco
04-21-2006, 09:43 PM
10 wins in the past 11 games.

Another great outing from Buehrle.

Clockwork Orange
04-21-2006, 10:20 PM
The Rockies get 4 in the bottom of the 9th to beat B*nds and the Giants 9-8. :yayaya:

Albert Pujols hit his 11th home run of the season and collected the 1000th hit of his young career.

WABronco
04-21-2006, 10:56 PM
The Mariner's have the worst offense in league history...

I am sooooo po'ed right now.

A little multiple choice for you guys:

Situation: 2 runners on (one is quite slow-footed), 2 outs, with your best power hitter at the plate. Manager sends the runners.

Is the Manager:

A)Dumb as hell
B)Disgustingly incompetent
C)Dumb as hell
D)Losing all sense of reality
E)Trying to lose games so he's fired

B-Love
04-21-2006, 11:30 PM
10 wins in the past 11 games.

Another great outing from Buehrle.

So Cal,

When they went to 1-4 including the first two losses at KC, I said "Uh oh, they've already lost a few they won last year."

So it's real nice to get a win they didn't get last year back into the right side of the ledger. Wins against Johan are seldom so I am stoked we got one back from him.

What a hit by Thome. Money!!!!!

Bob's your Information Minister
04-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Three way tie in the AL West with the Rangers and A's winning tonight.

04-22-2006, 12:18 AM
The Mariner's have the worst offense in league history...

I am sooooo po'ed right now.

A little multiple choice for you guys:

Situation: 2 runners on (one is quite slow-footed), 2 outs, with your best power hitter at the plate. Manager sends the runners.

Is the Manager:

A)Dumb as hell
B)Disgustingly incompetent
C)Dumb as hell
D)Losing all sense of reality
E)Trying to lose games so he's fired

All I can say is you were damn lucky Texas didn't sweep you...that 9th inning the other day pissed me off.

04-22-2006, 12:18 AM

- Bonds isn't hitting....ever again

Fixed your typo. :)

SoCalBronco
04-22-2006, 12:26 AM
So Cal,

When they went to 1-4 including the first two losses at KC, I said "Uh oh, they've already lost a few they won last year."

So it's real nice to get a win they didn't get last year back into the right side of the ledger. Wins against Johan are seldom so I am stoked we got one back from him.

What a hit by Thome. Money!!!!!

I am pretty happy now. I was also quite worried at 1-4. I tried to brush the preseason off but when it started badly in the real games, I got quite concerned, especially at the starting rotation's poor outings outside of Buehrle, as well as the terrible efforts by Politte, etc. in the pen. The whole starting staff is starting to get it together and as you noted earlier, Scotty is starting to make some plays too.

WABronco
04-22-2006, 12:31 AM
All I can say is you were damn lucky Texas didn't sweep you...that 9th inning the other day pissed me off.

And you think the ninth inning yesterday was of Texas' doing? F'in Guardado is done...he couldn't get his weak fastball on the corner which is his MO.

04-22-2006, 12:35 AM
And you think the ninth inning yesterday was of Texas' doing? F'in Guardado is done...he couldn't get his weak fastball on the corner which is his MO.
Yeah that was comical to watch. Of course Benoit was nice enough to get you back in the game an inning earlier.

Still, Guardado was sort of impressive. 38 pitches, bases loaded and only one run...could have been worse.

-Slap-
04-22-2006, 12:44 AM
The Rockies get 4 in the bottom of the 9th to beat B*nds and the Giants 9-8. :yayaya:

Another 0-fer for Roid Boy. Back to the Mendoza line. Sucks when your roids wear off and you're left with warning track power. I'm actually amazed they allowed his creaky ass to roam the big OF in Coors.

WABronco
04-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Yeah that was comical to watch. Of course Benoit was nice enough to get you back in the game an inning earlier.

Still, Guardado was sort of impressive. 38 pitches, bases loaded and only one run...could have been worse.

Sure...

Benoit's a solid pitcher...stuff wise. Guardado blows...stuff wise.

**** I'm still pissed off about that...

Clockwork Orange
04-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Another 0-fer for Roid Boy. Back to the Mendoza line. Sucks when your roids wear off and you're left with warning track power. I'm actually amazed they allowed his creaky ass to roam the big OF in Coors.

Other than the win and watching B*nds lumber around in LF with all the speed of a plate tectonic, the best thing about tonight's game was 4 guys who had taken the time to paint their torsos to spell out:

708*

:laugh:

WABronco
04-22-2006, 01:12 AM

I want to see his whole lower right leg just fall off while he's chasing down a ball...right at the knee. That'd be funny as hell.