PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball thread: Regular Season time is HERE!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Clockwork Orange
08-10-2006, 10:59 PM
And now Hunter Wendelstedt ejects Ray King for looking at him. I kid you not, they showed the entire sequence of King as he was leaving the game. He stared at Wendelstedt on his way to the dugout, didn't say a single word, didn't make any gestures with his hands, arms or body and this bush league ump throws him out.

I don't care that a lame Rockies reliever got tossed as he was leaving the game anyway, but I hate, hate, hate umpires who go out of their way to make sure everyone in the stadium knows that they're in charge and that even the smallest perceived slight will result in an eruption and an ejection.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Case and point, Hurdle goes to Corpas in the top of the eighth and he strikes out Jeff Kent. Hurdle immediatly pulls him to go get King......who abruptly gives up a home run to break the tie. I could weep.

Let the kid pitch, Hurdle, you dumb ****. :moody:

I'm tired of watching Hurdle play musical-relievers and pull a guy after one batter so he can continue with L-L or R-R matchups.

Clockwork Orange
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
And on cue, Hurdle's other go to guy gives up the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. Jesus, he's cost this team so many ****ing games with his bungling of the bullpen this year. Hey jerkass, it's not May anymore, Joe Table is worn out and King's belly has grown by the day since he's been here, stop running them out there, especially in critical situations. You have pitchers who can do the job, you just seem to forget that you have them. Maybe King has grown so fat that he can't see anyone else out there in the bullen. Who knows?

And this baglick got a contract extension. Someone shoot me.

Sorry. Rant over.

Pendejo
08-10-2006, 11:38 PM
And now Hunter Wendelstedt ejects Ray King for looking at him. I kid you not, they showed the entire sequence of King as he was leaving the game. He stared at Wendelstedt on his way to the dugout, didn't say a single word, didn't make any gestures with his hands, arms or body and this bush league ump throws him out.

I don't care that a lame Rockies reliever got tossed as he was leaving the game anyway, but I hate, hate, hate umpires who go out of their way to make sure everyone in the stadium knows that they're in charge and that even the smallest perceived slight will result in an eruption and an ejection.

I thought it was great a few years ago when the umpires tendered their resignations, and MLB accepted them. They were able to clear out the worst of the worst, but there are still several dickheads in blue.

I remember (probably about 15 years ago) an umpire ejected Tony F'ing Gwynn while he was standing on third base. If memory serves the ump continued to yell at him while he was in the dugout...prompting the hitman to storm back on to the field. I'm sure a lot of you aren't familiar with the great T. Gwynn...but while I rail on him for letting himself get fat...he was a gentlemen and a joy to watch. There was no way he was going back on the field unless the umpire was in the wrong. For you historians...I believe the game was at chavez ravine.

(Edit: After a quick search I found out that the ejection took place in '88, and was the only one of T. Gwynn's career.)

WABronco
08-11-2006, 01:46 AM
More managerial idiocy...just because it's fun to b****.

This is some good stuff from lookoutlanding.com--A Mariner's blog. This is from tonight's game where Mateo gave up an inside the park grand slam (basically) on the first pitch.

Said Hargrove on bringing Mateo into the game:

"I felt if Mateo came in and threw the ball the way he can, we had a good chance of getting the ground ball," Hargrove explained. "It just didn't work."

Coming into the game, Julio Mateo had recorded 38 groundballs on 154 balls in play, a 24.7% frequency. Among pitchers with 15+ innings on the season, that percentage ranked third-worst in baseball, ahead of just Keith Foulke (18.4%) and Chuck James (22.9%). 439 different pitchers have thrown at least 15 innings this year. Mateo gets fewer groundballs than 436 of them.

Let's pretend for a moment that Mark Lowe's elbow was still bothering him today, and that he was unavailable to pitch. Same goes for Putz, since he's thrown a ton lately. Still at Hargrove's disposal: Rafael Soriano (22 pitches yesterday, bad GB/FB, but excellent 27.5% strikeouts), Sean Green (59.4% groundballs, 10th best in baseball), Jake Woods (42.7% groundballs), and George Sherrill (36.1% groundballs). Instead of choosing any of these guys, Hargrove chose the one pitcher least likely to get him either a groundball or a strikeout, with predictable results:

http://images.lookoutlanding.com/images/admin/mateoloc_tex.JPG

First pitch, belt-high, right over the center of the plate. The quality of Julio Mateo's repertoire is surpassed only by his impeccable location.

Right down the proverbial pipe...

This idiot actually says that he expected a ground ball from Mateo...one of the most extreme flyball pitchers of the last decade.

Then there's his whole infatuation with Willie ****ing Bloomquist...a "hitter" who "hits" with less power than the average NL pitcher (smaller ISO (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/statpages/glossary/#iso)--SLG minus AVG).

On and on and on. Hey, at least he'll get canned in the offseason. Doesn't look the same can be said for Rox fans...sorrrryyyy.:~ohyah!:

Clockwork Orange
08-11-2006, 01:56 AM
On and on and on. Hey, at least he'll get canned in the offseason. Doesn't look the same can be said for Rox fans...sorrrryyyy.:~ohyah!:

Of course not. The Rockies organization is known for rewarding mediocrity.

As for Manuel Corpas, I can see why Hurdle wouldn't want to leave this kid out there. I mean, look at his numbers!

8 appearances
9 1/3 innings pitched
0.96 ERA
5 hits
2 walks
10 strikeouts
.161 opponents batting average

Why on earth would he want to utilize him? ::)

WABronco
08-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Of course not. The Rockies organization is known for rewarding mediocrity.

As for Manuel Corpas, I can see why Hurdle wouldn't want to leave this kid out there. I mean, look at his numbers!

8 appearances
9 1/3 innings pitched
0.96 ERA
5 hits
2 walks
10 strikeouts
.161 opponents batting average

Why on earth would he want to utilize him? ::)

That's the problem with these old school fossils...most of them anyways. They'll go down in flames with a veteran before they'd even consider using a rook.

Hargrove's scared ****less of hurting his veteran's feelings. When Carl Everett was still on the team, they got in a shouting match over Hargrove lifting Everett for a RH bat (who has a 1.000+ OPS against LH pitchers) once a LH reliever entered the game. This was quite some time ago, but at the time, Everett was behind only David Ortiz in plate appearances. And the jackass was whining about playing time. And what's even better is how Hargrove bent over for him afterwards by playing him even more (despite his .600 OPS as the "DH"). Damn, he's such a shallow tub of lard.

Jori
08-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree Clockwork. Hurdle is an idiot. I knew we were doomed once he brought in Burger King.

How many guys did the Rockies leave on base last night? :moody:

If anybody could get a clutch hit, the Rockies would have won 3 out of 4 instead of losing 3 out of 4.

Pendejo
08-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I agree Clockwork. Hurdle is an idiot. I knew we were doomed once he brought in Burger King.

How many guys did the Rockies leave on base last night? :moody:

If anybody could get a clutch hit, the Rockies would have won 3 out of 4 instead of losing 3 out of 4.

Just from things I've picked up here and there on SoCal sports radio...I don't think Hurdle is even respected among his peers. Bochy's said some things that make it seem like Clint is a hack.

I've always hated the Rockies. I was a junior in high school (in Greeley) their first year...I hated their gang banger color scheme, and the ridiculous ass kissing the Denver media gave to a fat poseur like Dante Bichette. I remember one game in which fat dant managed to throw the ball backwards. One year didn't he hit like 49 home runs...with two of them coming on the road.

All of that aside...as a Madres fan...it's clear to me that the Rockies are on the right track...they definitely need to S can their manager...and ideally get some new ownership. Once again...I'm a Madres fan, and WE know all about ****ty owners.

I f'ing hate Jason Jennings. When is he a free agent. I want his fat ass on the Madre's staff asap. Although he'd probably find a way to kill them even if he was on the roster.

SouthStndJunkie
08-13-2006, 12:58 AM
It sucks that this thread is off the main page. I have been forgetting about it lately.

The Tigers are in a little slump right now and have to fight through it.

I have 2 tix for the White Sox/Tigers game on Monday, August 21st.

24champ
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Just from things I've picked up here and there on SoCal sports radio...I don't think Hurdle is even respected among his peers. Bochy's said some things that make it seem like Clint is a hack.

I've always hated the Rockies. I was a junior in high school (in Greeley) their first year...I hated their gang banger color scheme, and the ridiculous ass kissing the Denver media gave to a fat poseur like Dante Bichette. I remember one game in which fat dant managed to throw the ball backwards. One year didn't he hit like 49 home runs...with two of them coming on the road.

All of that aside...as a Madres fan...it's clear to me that the Rockies are on the right track...they definitely need to S can their manager...and ideally get some new ownership. Once again...I'm a Madres fan, and WE know all about ****ty owners.

I f'ing hate Jason Jennings. When is he a free agent. I want his fat ass on the Madre's staff asap. Although he'd probably find a way to kill them even if he was on the roster.
So tell us how you REALLY feel about the rockies...Hilarious!

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Props to Randy Johnson for getting his 4,500th strikeout tonight.

SouthStndJunkie
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
I went to the White Sox/Tigers game at Comerica tonight.

The Tigers needed a win badly and got one 7-1.

What a treat getting to watch Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya pitch in the same night.

Pendejo
08-22-2006, 12:59 AM
For the third game in a row the Madres had to scramble for pitching due to an injury to their starter. (Park...intestinal bleeding again. Yipes.)

Anywho...they managed to continue their dominance over the dahyers this season...and get a crucial win. I guess they're all crucial when you've been in the tank as long as the Madres have.

24champ
08-22-2006, 01:25 AM
For the third game in a row the Madres had to scramble for pitching due to an injury to their starter. (Park...intestinal bleeding again. Yipes.)

Anywho...they managed to continue their dominance over the dahyers this season...and get a crucial win. I guess they're all crucial when you've been in the tank as long as the Madres have.
Meanwhile the Dodgers continue to lead the Division...:wave:

Pendejo have fun fighting for that ol wilcard spot.

Pendejo
08-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Meanwhile the Dodgers continue to lead the Division...:wave:

Pendejo have fun fighting for that ol wilcard spot.

I'm not fighting for anything. And while the dahyers have been red hot since the break...I'm not going to count out this Madres team until they've been officially eliminated. They're proving to be a resilient, and scrappy bunch. Peavy seems to have righted himself...the rest/cortisone shot at the break, and moving to the third base side of the rubbers seems to have got him back on track. That alone is huge.

Clearly the dahyers are the favorites to win the division...for now...but anything can happen in the wild wild nl west. We'll see.

Pendejo
08-24-2006, 01:49 AM
whoops!

24champ
08-24-2006, 02:17 AM
I'm not fighting for anything. And while the dahyers have been red hot since the break...I'm not going to count out this Madres team until they've been officially eliminated. They're proving to be a resilient, and scrappy bunch. Peavy seems to have righted himself...the rest/cortisone shot at the break, and moving to the third base side of the rubbers seems to have got him back on track. That alone is huge.

Clearly the dahyers are the favorites to win the division...for now...but anything can happen in the wild wild nl west. We'll see.
Ill give you that, Padres are a pesky team. Peavy is the only guy I really like to watch in our division. I think he has some great stuff. The only problem I have with the dodgers right now is JD Drew (aka Shawn Green part 2), because nobody is hitting homeruns for the Dodgers consistent enough.

Gcver2ver3
08-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Mets sweep the Cards without Pedro or Glavine...

that'll work...

SouthStndJunkie
09-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Verlander pitched a gem tonight when the Tigers really needed it to beat the Twins.

Justin meet ROY.

broncosteven
09-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Verlander pitched a gem tonight when the Tigers really needed it to beat the Twins.

Justin meet ROY.

I think the Sox pitching has been thier downfall this year. It could be Tigers & Twins with a 20 game over .500 White Sox team staying home for playoffs unless the Sox take the next 3 from the indians.

Verlander cameup big last night.

Clockwork Orange
09-08-2006, 09:29 PM
The Washington Nationals are a little league team defensively. They lead the N.L. in errors and the last two games have shown me why. They've committed 7 errors in the last two ball games, including a putrid 5 in one game tonight (and this game is still in the 8th inning).

I know that guys are playing out the string, but that is flat out embarassing.