PDA

View Full Version : High Def - Directv Question

Bronco_Beerslug
03-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Finally got my <a href="http://tinyurl.com/79nvr">DLP TV</a>. I shouldn't have waited so long the picture is incredible!!!

But does anyone else experience audio sync problems on some of the high def channels (Discovery HD theatre and HDN so far)?

Willynowei
03-08-2006, 05:23 PM
It depends.

Could be the audio converter or the video converter.

That DLP display (a very good one) has a native resolution of 720p. (1024x720) so if you are getting a 1080i or 480p signal, the television takes time to upconvert the signal to 720p or down convert it from 1080i. In either case, it will lag behind the audio.

Also, if you are using HDMI, it means the audio signal maybe purely digital, where as if you are using component input, the audio signal is analog. In either case, if your cable box is outputing analog or digital, depding on the wire usage, it will have to convert it from one to the other.

Conversions take time and if your video and audio conversions don't take equal time you will have sync problems.

Usually if you output everything with one single HDMI line, you won't have problesm (if your cable box has that) otherwise you will just have to wait. In any case, its the providers fault if things don't sync up, not yours.

Enjoy the new TV!

EDIT: one more thing, it could just be a signal issue on Direct TV's side. Usually this stuff has to do with conversion, but not always.

Bronco_Beerslug
03-08-2006, 05:41 PM
It depends.

Could be the audio converter or the video converter.

That DLP display (a very good one) has a native resolution of 720p. (1024x720) so if you are getting a 1080i or 480p signal, the television takes time to upconvert the signal to 720p or down convert it from 1080i. In either case, it will lag behind the audio.

Also, if you are using HDMI, it means the audio signal maybe purely digital, where as if you are using component input, the audio signal is analog. In either case, if your cable box is outputing analog or digital, depding on the wire usage, it will have to convert it from one to the other.

Conversions take time and if your video and audio conversions don't take equal time you will have sync problems.

Usually if you output everything with one single HDMI line, you won't have problesm (if your cable box has that) otherwise you will just have to wait. In any case, its the providers fault if things don't sync up, not yours.

Enjoy the new TV!

EDIT: one more thing, it could just be a signal issue on Direct TV's side. Usually this stuff has to do with conversion, but not always.
Interesting stuff! I'm using a HDMI connection form the H20 receiver to the DLP TV. It doesn't happen all the time but every other day or so. The high def movie channels don't have this problem. I called Directv support but of course they were pretty much clueless. They did say they were getting quite a few calls complaining about the same thing.

I can't believe I went this long without high def TV. Watching anything else now is kind of a letdown.

baja
03-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I had that problem there is an audio sync adjustment for that in the menu on the HD TV

baja
03-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Or maybe the adjustment was in the surround sound equipment, can't remember now

Bronco_Beerslug
03-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I had that problem there is an audio sync adjustment for that in the menu on the HD TV

I seen that but it's only on 2 or 3 channels. I'm afraid of screwing all the rest up. It changes it for all of them right?

baja
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
right

baja
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
If it is only on some channels than it is a problem on the broadcast side

Meck77
01-08-2014, 08:49 PM
BUMP!

So looking to upgrade the TV. Only have a couple days until the big game. What would you guys recommend from this list. http://www.costco.com/51-inch-tvs-and-above.html Have several Vizio's and have had great luck with them. None of them are "smart" though. Have been using a chromecast for net flix and what not but looking to upgrade the main room and just shift the old one to the bedroom etc.

Not opposed to hitting best buy or what not but have to have it in place come sunday.

What do you say Omane?

DenverBroncosJM
01-08-2014, 09:32 PM
BUMP!

So looking to upgrade the TV. Only have a couple days until the big game. What would you guys recommend from this list. http://www.costco.com/51-inch-tvs-and-above.html Have several Vizio's and have had great luck with them. None of them are "smart" though. Have been using a chromecast for net flix and what not but looking to upgrade the main room and just shift the old one to the bedroom etc.

Not opposed to hitting best buy or what not but have to have it in place come sunday.

What do you say Omane?

I purchase samsung for the vast majority of my home appliances and tv's.

This is a nice samsung for a decent price

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8238048&pid=1218866285201&pcatId=abcat0101001

And for hdmi and mounts (and a ton of other stuff) monoprice.com

Bronco Yoda
01-08-2014, 09:34 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-s9-85-34-class-84-1-2-34-diag--led-4k-ultra-hd-tv-2160p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/8908129.p?id=1218944452594&skuId=8908129

Go big or go home!

btw, I'll bring over the bean dip

Irish Stout
01-08-2014, 09:41 PM
BUMP!

What do you say Omane?

I just recently bought a Sharp 65" LED from Paul's tv in furniture row with a Harmen Karden blu ray sound system for $1,200. The Brice seemed good and the tv and sound system are awesome! I'd recommend checking them out for any deals. Pretty decent selection and prices seemed better than costco. They delivered it the next day too at no charge. However, costco has the best return policy in the world.

The tv is smart with wifi. Nice for watching That's Good Broncos on YouTube. The tv is not 3D though... I didn't see the need, but maybe I'm missing out.

DenverBroncosJM
01-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I just recently bought a Sharp 65" LED from Paul's tv in furniture row with a Harmen Karden blu ray sound system for $1,200. The Brice seemed good and the tv and sound system are awesome! I'd recommend checking them out for any deals. Pretty decent selection and prices seemed better than costco. They delivered it the next day too at no charge. However, costco has the best return policy in the world.

Costco changed the tv return policy, it's 90 days now.

broncosteven
01-08-2014, 09:45 PM
I miss me some Beerslug! Meck you got me, I thought he came back.

I don't care much about having the greatest TV. I have a plasma in the basement I bought on sale from Sears when we had the basement remodeled (actually it was an unfinished basement so it was only Modeled) about 7 years ago. Paid just over $1200 back then, 1080p and 40". Since it is in the basement I don't have shadow or heat issues that a lot of people complain about with Plasma's.

Good luck and Go Broncos!