PDA

View Full Version : Why old school shaving is better.

Pages : [1] 2

Kaylore
01-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Here's an off-season mode topic if there ever was one.

After getting tired of dumping $25 into Mach 3 razors over and over I started getting pissed at throwing expensive razors away and suspicious at why something that lasts maybe two weeks costs so much.

I started to develop conspiracy theories about shaving. I noticed that all the multple blades just created little spaces for crap to collect and that the saving cream left a residue that got more and more difficult to remove. I also noticed that when I used shaving cream the razors dulled faster than when I used soap. I then realized that razor companies probably did this intentionally to sell more razors.

Fed up, I decided to look at other options. That's when I found this arcticle on one of the "internets."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

The article explains the history of shaving and why the current trend and technology is designed to use up razors and not necessarily create the best shave. So I used some of my Christmas money to buy the following items.

I started with a real badger haired shaving brush.
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/2053630/2184118.htm

Then I purchased some glycerine based shaving soap and an old school mug. (I got a blue one since that was the only one offered in Bronco Colors. ;))
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522960/198657.htm
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522952/203624.htm

The new razor I had pruchased was still on it's way when I got these things so I decided to start using them with my Mach 3 in the mean time. Just using those three items was a different experience entirely. I found that the soap felt great and left nice smell on my skin. The blade would glide easily across my face and didn't leave the residue that the normal shaving foams and gels did. The brush and mug, when used correctly, creates a hot lather that warms and softens the bristles. This makes them easier to cut and allows them a little bit of give. The result is a smoother, closer shave.

Finally my razor arrived. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/190429.htm
I immediately liked it. It's made of a high grade German steel that I can tell will last 100 years. It's surprisingly simple. Just a double edged single razor. No pivoting head, no fancy screens, no aloe strip.

Using it was a little weird. You have to use short quick strokes either with the grain or directly against it. Getting around the tough areas (chin, upper lip) can be difficult, but by the second try I had a handle on it. It was actually fun to use, and the shave is much closer than I would have thought. The experience is much better too. The smooth soaps and, the nice smell, and the slick feel of the razor is awesome. I actually enjoy shaving now. The number of in-grown hairs is reduced and my face is much silkier than I ever achieved with a muli-blade razor.

So gentlemen, there are some alternatives out there for you. I thought I would share some of the things I had found recently that make the experience better overall.

Here is a site that offers some things.
http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html

I didn't get everything from this site, though. I had to shop around for some of the things, but they give you a good set of what options are out there. I ended up buy a stand for my brush a little later as well because they are supposed to be stored bristles down if you want 10+ years out of them. I think if anything, you guys trying out the brush and a nice soap will make your overall experience better.

Archer81
01-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I can make one mach 3 blade last a month. Just have to rinse the hell out of it. Also use shaving gel, not cream. Whatever works.

:Broncos:

yavoon
01-28-2006, 12:44 PM
cool

Smilin Assassin
01-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Yup...It's offseason :D

But, seriously...keep us updated. Shaving is one of those evils ya just gotta do (unless yer Nails or Jake), and if this make the whole ordeal cheaper while giving a great close shave, I'll hop on board in a Mile High Minute.

yavoon
01-28-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm concerned this isnt hardcore enough. why are they still using safety razors? I'd go w/ the big old barbers knife thing, u can sharpen those!

-Slap-
01-28-2006, 01:00 PM
The Straight Razor Shave
Hold the razor securely by placing the pads of your index and second fingers on the shank, your thumb under the shank and against the shoulder, the handle raised vertically between your middle and ring fingers, and your ring and pinky fingers resting inside the crescent-shaped tang.

http://www.menessentials.com/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/images/interface/straightrazorparts.jpg

Using the fingers of your free hand, stretch the skin until it is as taught as possible. Hold the razor at a 30 degree angle to the surface of your skin and shave your first even stroke in the direction of hair growth. Apply lather over the freshly shaven area and shave a second even stroke against the direction of hair growth. Only two strokes are necessary. You can skip the second stroke, if it seems too tricky to attempt.

The "angle of the dangle" is your key to error-free shaving. Fewer than 30 degrees and you'll rip the hair out by its root. More than 30 degrees and you'll very likely slice yourself to ribbons. The only areas for which this rule doesn't apply are the chin and upper lip. For these two trouble spots only, angle the back of the blade a little closer to your skin and proceed with caution.

fuzzy
01-28-2006, 01:08 PM
no mention of which aftershaves to use?

Rohirrim
01-28-2006, 01:09 PM
The Straight Razor Shave
Hold the razor securely by placing the pads of your index and second fingers on the shank, your thumb under the shank and against the shoulder, the handle raised vertically between your middle and ring fingers, and your ring and pinky fingers resting inside the crescent-shaped tang.

http://www.menessentials.com/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/images/interface/straightrazorparts.jpg

Using the fingers of your free hand, stretch the skin until it is as taught as possible. Hold the razor at a 30 degree angle to the surface of your skin and shave your first even stroke in the direction of hair growth. Apply lather over the freshly shaven area and shave a second even stroke against the direction of hair growth. Only two strokes are necessary. You can skip the second stroke, if it seems too tricky to attempt.

The "angle of the dangle" is your key to error-free shaving. Fewer than 30 degrees and you'll rip the hair out by its root. More than 30 degrees and you'll very likely slice yourself to ribbons. The only areas for which this rule doesn't apply are the chin and upper lip. For these two trouble spots only, angle the back of the blade a little closer to your skin and proceed with caution.

Where does the nose hair attachment go?

Taco John
01-28-2006, 01:32 PM
The "angle of the dangle" is your key to error-free shaving. Fewer than 30 degrees and you'll rip the hair out by its root. More than 30 degrees and you'll very likely slice yourself to ribbons.

Jumping Jehosasomething! I think I'm going to pass...

Tombstone RJ
01-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Wow, I guess I just don't take shaving that seriously...

Atlas
01-28-2006, 01:44 PM
A whole package of disposable razors go for $.99 and if I shave everyday they last longer than if you want until the stuble grows.

Kaylore
01-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Wow, I guess I just don't take shaving that seriously...
It's not about taking it seriously so to speak, but It's just giving it some thought and looking if something better is out there. The whole process takes a few minutes (about five) longer than what it used to, but it's closer shave, it's way more fun, and my skin is in better condition. Not only that, your razor and the blade will last longer, and the soap products are cheaper and last longer than the gels and foams. If anything it's worth a look.

The Straight Razor Shave

Baby steps, Slap, Baby Steps. ;)

Though I would eventually like to try a straight razor shave, but I'll practice on a balloon first.

TDmvp
01-28-2006, 02:01 PM
youall should try one of these .... i hated electrics all my life and used a mach 3 most of the time .... But im the type that shaves at 8am and has 5 oclock shadows by noon and was about sick of the cracy blade cost and sometimes it would take 2 or more blades a shave if i had to shave a thick week long lazy growth ... the cool skins RULE tho ... can submerge them , use your gel or what they suggest . i get really bad razor burn from most razors this seems to not do it as bad if im careful ... for 70 $ its KILLER ... only downside ... DONT LET your girlfriend try it out cuz youll fight over it LOL ... its that damn good ...

RhymesayersDU
01-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Exactly. I'll stick to my overpriced razors.

Dukes
01-28-2006, 02:12 PM
This is all pretty interesting to me. I too am sick of buying mach 3's. I only used shaving gels when I first started shaving, but I found they make my face break out pretty badly so I just use soap instead. Great info though Kaylore, now you've got me wanting to go old school

Moon§hiner
01-28-2006, 02:33 PM
I did the shaving cream stuff for twenty years... I'm electric all the way now and would never go back....Braun has a 370 model that runs on AA batts. and sells for around 15 bucks and it's cheaper to buy a new one than buy a new foil and blade... No cuts and ingrown hairs thank you. Plus I can surf, while I shave. :)

Odysseus
01-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Shaving with a straight razor? The only problem is the time to keep it sharp. Imagine you are in a rush with that thing? It's a great shave to be sure but in our modern day rush around world I cannot imagine it making a rebound.

I'm pretty sick of my Mach 3 as well. Hmmm.

maven
01-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Keep buying mach 3 & mach 3 turbo. They're the best razors on the planet! You just can't beat them. They are the best bang for your buck.

On a side note, I own a ****load of their shares(PG).

Bronx33
01-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Kaylore, if your happy iam happy on a side note my family bought a cabin up in steamboat about 30 years ago it was a old bunkhouse for gold miners but when we got it had a bunch old old stuff in it. One of those items was one of those razors you now have kaylore it's really old school and pretty old, but anyways i have used it a few times when iam up there and it is an art to master but works pretty good but will f*** you up if your not paying attention. lol

dnvrbrncos
01-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks Kaylore. I only recently discovered how much more comfortable shaving in the shower is. This sounds even better. I'll be trying it.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I use a mach 3 with nivea shaving gel/after shave. The blades lost about a week or two (I am Irish/Italian so I can grow a full bread in about 3 days) and that works great. I would like to try the straigh razor but am afraid of the carnage I could create....

watermock
01-28-2006, 04:15 PM
My Festus/Jake beard got beaten down on the Monday after the catasrophe. Took me damn an hour. I was lookin' skid row. I didn't look like Jesus, more like Festus. But Festus was a good man too. He was kinda like Pubes with Shanny come to think of it. When Matt was out of town Festus would hold down the town. I still laugh about Matt's and Kitty's friendship upstairs...

Those are good shows. Mind wandering...must refocus...this is offeseason...mind wanders more...Bonanza was idiotic but amusing as well...Remember Mannix? Heh...He was pretty crafty too...I haven't had a Mannix sighing in years. OK, my alzhiemers is briefly gone...

I just use the Bic for sensitive skin...my problem as allready posted is clogging...it seems like multi blades are not only rediculously expensive, they just clog even worse. Single blade Sensitive Skin razors are my choice, and I usually only use them twice. I had a bush! It was my lucky charm for Jake and he lays an egg.

I was starting to get money out of the liquor store change bucket. I could make it as a full time bum...in fact...I kinda did once...living at the lake or the coal box car in Durango with a true bum. I just wanted the exerience of being a bum for some reason.

Pick Six
01-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Disposable razors with shaving cream work just fine for me. If you rinse out the hair, they last even longer.

Rock Chalk
01-28-2006, 05:32 PM
I used to use razors then I switched to electric shavers. This bothered my skin at first but after a week or two they no longer bothered me and the shave was really close.

However, I was at a friend's house and he had a Mach 3 razor that vibrates. I used it at his house and I was sold. I went out and bought one the next day for 20 bucks, and a pack of 5 razors for 20 bucks too.

That was 8 months ago and Im on my second razor. There is no slamming the razor against the sink to clear out the stubble, the subtle vibration knocks it out all immediately. The Gilette gel shave cream I use is perfect when put on a light coat and as with any type of shaving, a warm face and warm facial haris is best to cut. Generally if I dont shave right when I get out of the shower, I will use a hot towel and wrap it around my face and neck before I shave., Usually a minute or two is sufficient to soften the hair.

Further, this 3 pronged vibrating razor has not cut me one time in my 6 months of using it. I am plenty happy with the end results.

*Razor time length may vary. I shave on average once every 4 days because Im lazy.

scorpio
01-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I bought a Gillette Sensor 3 on the advice of a friend and cut the **** out of myself 3 times in one week. Then I switched to Shick Extreme 3 disposables with an aloe strip and haven't had any problems.

The old school shaving intrigues me, though.

DBroncos4life
01-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Gillette Fusion

http://www.gillette.com/homepage.asp

watermock
01-28-2006, 06:04 PM
anyone shave their balls? And how do you do it...?

scorpio
01-28-2006, 06:06 PM

This ain't the Planet, Mock!

Bronco_Beerslug
01-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Get a mirror for the shower and shave then. Blades will last many times longer because your facial hair is softer and easier to cut at the end of your shower. Saves time and lots less cleanup and hassle.

(And this is why new school shaving is infintely better than old school shaving).

fuzzy
01-28-2006, 06:33 PM

don't use anything electric. vibrating blades+all that loose skin= @!$%

Sassy
01-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey gals...we should get in on this ....women's razors are expensive as all get out too...except we don't have to worry about cutting our face... ;D

So what's the Bronco gals poll...electric or disposable?

Wes Mantooth
01-28-2006, 06:51 PM
I can make one mach 3 blade last a month. Just have to rinse the hell out of it. Also use shaving gel, not cream. Whatever works.

And once again I post Broke Back Friends.

Kaylore
01-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I got home from work expecting this thread to have been buried and am surprised at the conversation it has started. I suppose shaving is something everyone of every age has had to do at least once.

Someone brought up shaving in the shower and hydrating your whiskers. No matter what blade you use, shaving when your hairs are wet will not only make for an easier shave, but you will get more life out of your razor.

For clarification, I do not use a straight razor, I use a safety razor.
http://www.classicshaving.com/i/Merkur/700_002.jpg

Mogulseeker
01-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I use a Mach 3, but I'm considering getting a Norelco.

After I get out of the Military, I'm DONE with shaving. I'll just get a beard & Mustache trimmer.

Sir Mawn
01-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I'll just get a beard & Mustache trimmer.

That's what I do. I'll grow a beard in 3 days as well and can't stand shaving. Trimmers work fine, no irritation, no in-grown hair, nothing. :thumbs:

ludo21
01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Mach 3 Turbo and i shave in the shower.

Im not sure how much ive saved on gel and what not, but im sure its a ton.

scorpio
01-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm 25 and I can't grow a full beard or mustache at all. I grow just enough to look ****ty if I don't shave it. My arms and legs have like no hair either. It's weird, because my dad has a foot-long beard.

broncoblue
01-29-2006, 03:28 AM
grrrrrrrr put a new a new blade in mine last night and freddy kruger attacked

Crowpointer
01-29-2006, 04:38 AM
The replacement razor business is like printing money

Odysseus
01-29-2006, 04:53 AM
I bought a Gillette Sensor 3 on the advice of a friend and cut the **** out of myself 3 times in one week. Then I switched to Shick Extreme 3 disposables with an aloe strip and haven't had any problems.

The old school shaving intrigues me, though.

I ended up having to use some disposables instead of my Gillette and it ended up looking like a crime scene. Schick makes a good disposable. Anything but Schick disposables suck IMHO.

A virbrating shaver? I have a vibrating toothbrush. I don't know. Why not.

Originally Posted by watermock
Take a hammer. Flatten your nut sack. Apply shaving cream. Shave normaly.

Do not put any after shave on them. Use Jack Daniel's. If you haven't passed out from the first step you'll need it.

watermock
01-29-2006, 05:04 AM
I'm trying to figure out to shave my balls!

God I amost died then Jesus said...don't shave your balls....

crazyhorse
01-29-2006, 05:07 AM
I'm 25 and I can't grow a full beard or mustache at all. I grow just enough to look ****ty if I don't shave it. My arms and legs have like no hair either. It's weird, because my dad has a foot-long beard.

yeah....heh heh....wierd.

watermock
01-29-2006, 05:10 AM
Now I'm slayed....that's air conditioning....

watermock
01-29-2006, 05:12 AM
yeah....heh heh....wierd.

You think thats bad, my Plummer beard looked like
Festus...and it took me 45 mins to get that thing off and two razors.

crazyhorse
01-29-2006, 05:20 AM
I have a braun electric razor. Been using it for years. All other electrics irritate my skin. Braun is "The Answer" in electric razors.

No cuts.
No irritation.
I replace the blades about once every 2 to 3 years.
Not one ingrown hair.

I will put my electric against ANY blade on the market.

Rausch
01-29-2006, 05:52 AM
I immediately liked it. It's made of a high grade German steel that I can tell will last 100 years. It's surprisingly simple. Just a double edged single razor. No pivoting head, no fancy screens, no aloe strip.

A razor worthy of a drunken kraut's face.

I tend to use the electric to get the majority of it (they ALWAYS leave a few stray hairs on your face making you look untarded) then shave in the shower right before I get out.

Rock Chalk
01-29-2006, 09:07 AM
I ended up having to use some disposables instead of my Gillette and it ended up looking like a crime scene. Schick makes a good disposable. Anything but Schick disposables suck IMHO.

A virbrating shaver? I have a vibrating toothbrush. I don't know. Why not.

Take a hammer. Flatten your nut sack. Apply shaving cream. Shave normaly.

Do not put any after shave on them. Use Jack Daniel's. If you haven't passed out from the first step you'll need it.
Hilarious!

Bronx33
01-29-2006, 12:31 PM
A razor worthy of a drunken kraut's face.

I tend to use the electric to get the majority of it (they ALWAYS leave a few stray hairs on your face making you look untarded) then shave in the shower right before I get out.

With me shaving without a mirror is a bad thing.

SportinOne
01-29-2006, 12:54 PM

Yeah, my dad once told me that he tried using that big blad technique without first learning how to use it. He said he cut himself pretty bad and that pretty much scared me from ever trying it.

SportinOne
01-29-2006, 01:03 PM

Well, for starters, if you got a Mach 3 Turbo, you turn the damn vibration off. That's just asking for trouble.

Then just lather up, grit your teeth, and shave it. Of course, do it rather slowly.

That skin is surprisingly resiliant. As far as aftershave, something mild!

By the way, i haven't met one girl who actually likes hairy balls.

watermock
01-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey gals...we should get in on this ....women's razors are expensive as all get out too...except we don't have to worry about cutting our face... ;D

Face? We just want a smooth beaver! We don't care if your the bearded lady as long as you have a smooth beaver...

scorpio
01-29-2006, 02:23 PM
By the way, i haven't met one girl who actually likes hairy balls.

Of course they don't like it. But if they're with me, they're going to have to deal with it.

watermock
01-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I think I will just leave them air conditioned...if some chick wants them bald she can do it...

I've shaved beaver, but nuts are delicate...Ha!

I tried kicking a GF in the nuts and just got a broken nose...

Bronco_Beerslug
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM

Order you some of this stuff. It works great! Leaves you smooth as a baby's arse.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/buyinprivate_1871_12262112
http://tinyurl.com/bqcll

broncoblue
01-30-2006, 01:39 PM
microwave pube removers wow ....how long does a guy stick his pecker in for ??.....sure scares the **** outta me waiting for the pinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

ludo21
01-30-2006, 01:58 PM
microwave pube removers wow ....how long does a guy stick his pecker in for ??.....sure scares the **** outta me waiting for the pinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

I know im not sticking my guy in there, tahts for sure.

broncoblue
01-30-2006, 02:08 PM
shoved mine in worse places :P

Darkdoc
01-30-2006, 02:46 PM
I have a braun electric razor. Been using it for years. All other electrics irritate my skin. Braun is "The Answer" in electric razors.

No cuts.
No irritation.
I replace the blades about once every 2 to 3 years.
Not one ingrown hair.

I will put my electric against ANY blade on the market.
Crazy, you got this right. Braun electrics are the best, tho I change blades and the screen 12-18 months. The newest models clean themselves with alcohol, adding to the hassle and expense. I prefer the older ones you just open and shake out the hairs.

PatsWin2002
01-30-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm getting my beard lasered off. Screw that old straightblade stuff!

DBroncos4life
02-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry for bumping this but has anyone else tried the Gillette Fusion? I got it and the cream last night and it was great. I had a pretty good sized beard going on and it went right through it. The gel feels good and the razor is cool as hell looking. 10 bucks for one blade and a power razor though, thats the only draw back.

watermock
02-03-2006, 11:29 AM
http://store1.yimg.com/I/buyinprivate_1871_12262112

How long do I have to stick my balls in the microwave, and how do I shut the door?

watermock
02-03-2006, 11:32 AM
We are clearly in offseason mode...

Boobs McGee
02-03-2006, 12:06 PM
My Grandpa gave me a 1946 Gillette Super Speed. This is what it looks likehttp://www.shaveblog.com/uploaded_images/1940SS-713990.jpg

After using Mach 3's forever and still getting some razor burn, I finally took the dive and overcame my fears of cutting a major artery.

I recently purchased a brush and soap kit from Burt's Bees, and away I went.

WOW, I'm in total agreeance with Kaylore. After a month using the double edged razor, brush and soap, i absolutely love it.

Never going back to anything else ever again.

And a pack of replacement blades costs 4 bucks at Walgreens.

I've noticed that I can come from my sideburn area, allllll the way down to my lower neck;flip the blade over, come all the way back up that same line and my skin is smoother than a baby's ass. Shaving is now a joy.

I will say this though...you screw up with this puppy, and chunks of skin will be missing.

Hooray for old fashioned shaving

great thread by the way - i'm going to order one of those badger haired brushes soon

baja
02-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Best shave IMO water and the triple blade with the alo strip.

smooth shave and long lasting blade

Kaylore
02-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Hooray for old fashioned shaving

great thread by the way - i'm going to order one of those badger haired brushes soon Awesome. Welcome to the old school scene. The best kind of hair has white tips on the end. It comes from some portion of the badger (neck, I think) that holds the most water. Make sure you get a good scented soap. After awhile, your brush absorbs the scent and is an added bonus.

I don't think people believe how cool it is and how nice a shave it becomes. I look forward to my shaves now. It's cheaper too. 30 stainless stell platinum plated blades for $15 and you can use one a month without having to clean the crap out of them all the time like you have to with tripple/quadrupple bladed heads.

ludo21
02-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Awesome. Welcome to the old school scene. The best kind of hair has white tips on the end. It comes from some portion of the badger (neck, I think) that holds the most water. Make sure you get a good scented soap. After awhile, your brush absorbs the scent and is an added bonus.

I don't think people believe how cool it is and how nice a shave it becomes. I look forward to my shaves now. It's cheaper too. 30 stainless stell platinum plated blades for $15 and you can use one a month without having to clean the crap out of them all the time like you have to with tripple/quadrupple bladed heads.

i got the mach 3 and i just rinse it ou and i dont have the cleaning problems.

Kaylore
02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
How long do your blades last and what soap/gel/foam do you use?

ludo21
02-03-2006, 01:42 PM

I am very lazy and shave about once ever week or 2. Blades last a month, maybe 2. I shave in teh shower with regular soap.

Kaylore
02-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I am very lazy and shave about once ever week or 2. Blades last a month, maybe 2. I shave in teh shower with regular soap.
Ok so that's 1.5 shaves a week times roughly 6 weeks. Roughly nine days per blade, which is about where I was at. Since I shave almost every day, it wasn't worth the cost in razors for me. In your case I can see why shaving isn't quite as big a deal but for me it's part of my daily grooming regimen so a better, less expensive process is worth my notice.

The classic blades I'm using now last longer, are cheaper and give me a closer shave that also doesn't grow back as fast. The soap makes my face feel and smell good and the brush softens the bristles, opens pores and exfoliates your skin.

Some people want to stick to their thing and never try anything new and that's ok. I just started this thread to suggest how there are better options out there that people should try. :)

DBroncos4life
02-03-2006, 01:51 PM
So am I the only one that has tried the new Fusion blade?

Mile High Shack
02-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok so that's 1.5 shaves a week times roughly 6 weeks. Roughly nine days per blade, which is about where I was at. Since I shave almost every day, it wasn't worth the cost in razors for me. In your case I can see why shaving isn't quite as big a deal but for me it's part of my daily grooming regimen so a better, less expensive process is worth my notice.

The classic blades I'm using now last longer, are cheaper and give me a closer shave that also doesn't grow back as fast. The soap makes my face feel and smell good and the brush softens the bristles, opens pores and exfoliates your skin.

Some people want to stick to their thing and never try anything new and that's ok. I just started this thread to suggest how there are better options out there that people should try. :)

ya can't old school shave in the shower very well...and that's when I shave to cut down on time and clean up...I may spend more on blades, but I save time in the process

time value of money baby

Hogan11
02-03-2006, 02:43 PM
It doesn't matter what I do or use really. My skin is ultra sensitive, so two days after shaving, I look like I caught a load of rock salt in the face/neck.....everytime. Shaving everyday is a disaster for me, so I generally shave once a week as a result.

Been using a Gillette Sensor for years simply because it does the least amount of damage to me

baja
02-03-2006, 02:52 PM

Another trick is wash out the blade from the back of the razor. Most men rinse the blades from the front which just pushes the hair deeper into the spaces between the blades.

baja
02-03-2006, 02:55 PM

For me no soap just warm water I shave daily and the blades last about a month.

Boobs McGee
02-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Kaylore - i still can't figure out how to post quotes, but I'll definitely look for the ones with the white tips. Good info, good links too. I read through that whole thing, I'm wondering now what kind of base the Burt's Bees soap has, and if would make a difference. It feels pretty damn smooth, but it couldn't hurt to try the other stuff out.
Before I started using the brush and soap that i've got, I just used Barbasol for a while, that seemed to work fairly well.

The BEST tip i've got though (and mile high sack, this might work for you) I bought myself a fogless mirror for the shower. I wouldn't try the old fashioned way without a mirror, because I'd end up looking like edward scissorhands, but a cheap fogless mirror works great. That way you get all of the steam, hot water, and less mess.

I'm with you though kaylore.....No ingrown hairs, No red bumps or irritated skin, much closer shave that lasts longer for me. I only have to shave once every three days now.

I wonder if the blade quality makes a huge difference?

I used the original blades from 1946 until I lost em :( but so far i've been impressed with the stock Walgreens blades. i DID learn a pretty nasty lesson though the other day.....
To open the blade compartment on mine, you've got to twist the bottom part of the handle on the razor. A few weeks ago i had replaced a blade, but i forgot to screw it back down all the way. First swipe was right on the back of my jawline, underneath the ear.........HOLY SH*T. Large chunk of skin removed. MAKE SURE THE BLADES ARE LOCKED DOWN TIGHT.

Since then i've been extremely careful, and haven't had any more incidents. Nothing but great things to say about the old fashioned ways though.

And you're absolutely right, the cleaning is a snap. If you really want to get fancy, you can just soak the head in alchohol overnight once or twice a month.

Once again though, great idea for a thread.

LETS GO OLD FASHIONED SHAVERS

alkemical
02-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I am convinced i'm part of the missing link gene family. I can grow a beard in 3 days as well. In a week i'm a lost member of civilization.

I have the old school shaving utensils, but i use a mach3 turbo (the vibrating one) most of the time. I use the old school way for dates, etc.

But i can kill a razor cartridge in 2-3 shaves.

most of the time i use sheep shears, just way easier.

PatsWin2002
02-03-2006, 04:25 PM
It doesn't matter what I do or use really. My skin is ultra sensitive, so two days after shaving, I look like I caught a load of rock salt in the face/neck.....everytime. Shaving everyday is a disaster for me, so I generally shave once a week as a result.

Been using a Gillette Sensor for years simply because it does the least amount of damage to me

I use a Gillete Sensor for the same reason. My skin is super-sensitive and my RETARDED beard is so dense and in so many directions that all it does is rip and bleed. It totally sucks.

My earlier comment about getting it lasered off......I wasn't joking!

Rock Chalk
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I use a Gillete Sensor for the same reason. My skin is super-sensitive and my RETARDED beard is so dense and in so many directions that all it does is rip and bleed. It totally sucks.

Liar. You use Gillete because they sponsor your faggity team ;D

What's that....a Brady pick in the red zone? Bwahahahaha

broncoblue
02-03-2006, 04:29 PM
do i let my hair onnmy head grow wild or shave my head for a night in town tommorow???

PatsWin2002
02-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Liar. You use Gillete because they sponsor your faggity team ;D

What's that....a Brady pick in the red zone? Bwahahahaha

Seriously, nothing works...old school or new.

I could have Brady flip a coin to decide and it wouldn't matter. ;D

ludo21
02-03-2006, 04:31 PM

got ya, yeah, i guess my face just doesnt care. One of these says maybe ill ry something new, but as for now its all working good!!Booya!

Rock Chalk
02-03-2006, 04:31 PM
My hair growns in many directions on my damn neck, which is the hardest freakin part to shave anyway.

Im telling you, get that Mach 3 turbo powered vibrating razor. Its freakin awesome.

PatsWin2002
02-03-2006, 04:35 PM
My hair growns in many directions on my damn neck, which is the hardest freakin part to shave anyway.

Im telling you, get that Mach 3 turbo powered vibrating razor. Its freakin awesome.

Another Gillette commercial. Hilarious!

I hear ya about the neck - you can't shave in any direction without ripping something growing in another direction.

How much does one of those vibrating razors cost?

DBroncos4life
02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Another Gillette commercial. Hilarious!

I hear ya about the neck - you can't shave in any direction without ripping something growing in another direction.

How much does one of those vibrating razors cost?
Don't waste your money on those old M3's. The fusion is where its at. I can't believe more people aren't on this. 5 blades on the front, one on the back for sideburns and for the hard to reach hair by the nose. The thing is awesome.

DBroncos4life
02-03-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9340767/
Its a work of art, and it has a battery powered one as well.

Hogan11
02-03-2006, 07:04 PM

Honestly, I wish there was some sort of depilatory cream available that wouldn't burn your face off one could use as a substitute for shaving. I'd use it and I wouldn't give a F' what anyone would say about it.

~Crash~
02-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Honestly, I wish there was some sort of depilatory cream available that wouldn't burn your face off one could use as a substitute for shaving. I'd use it and I wouldn't give a F' what anyone would say about it.

I agree I hate to shave . and how much does it cost to have a laser burn off the hair for good.:thumbs:

baja
02-03-2006, 09:09 PM
If shaving is that bad why not just wear a neatly trimed beard?

HEAV
02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I'd like to wear a beard, hell if I had my choice I'd go Jake, but my office/bosses thinks it looks bad. They let us get away with a stash or goatee. But that's it.

Nothing sucks more than walking dowan the street with a freshly shaved face in 15-20 degree temps.

baja
02-03-2006, 10:57 PM
I'd like to wear a beard, hell if I had my choice I'd go Jake, but my office/bosses thinks it looks bad. They let us get away with a stash or goatee. But that's it.

Nothing sucks more than walking dowan the street with a freshly shaved face in 15-20 degree temps.

Get your doctor to say you can't shave for health reasons and they will have to except your beard or become a Muslum.

Kaylore
02-04-2006, 12:34 AM
I grew one for a couple months. It looked alright and the ladies liked it. :wiggle: (though they probably wouldn't have told me even if it looked like but.) everything was cool until I got a cold and sudenly blowing my nose was a chore. I got tired of getting food and stuff in it. I got tired of having to shampoo it in the shower. It was itchy. I finaly shave the thing off and returned to my shaving ways.

Hogan11
02-04-2006, 07:22 AM

1) I generally hate facial hair.....wore a goatee on and off, but it was a pain.

2) Due to an accident I had when I was a kid (where my face became one with a cement wall..brushburning it badly), I can't grow a full beard...it's in patches when it grows and generally takes 3 to 4 months to fill in.....it's simply not worth it the effort.

3) It's been coming in half gray since I was 25 years old......screw that.

watermock
02-04-2006, 07:25 AM
My pubic hair was turning gray and got taken away last night.,.,.first time for everything....heh...

Hogan11
02-04-2006, 07:31 AM
My pubic hair was turning gray and got taken away last night.,.,.first time for everything....heh...

Betcha that'll itch like a mofo when it starts to grow back in Ha!

I've never done anything like that so I wouldn't know....I remember hearing about guys on the swim team shaving off all their body hair for some reason and then being in agony after the season was over because of it.

It doesn't sound like much fun to me but if that's your deal, then go nuts Ha!

2KBack
02-04-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9340767/
Its a work of art, and it has a battery powered one as well.

Helps that it's bronco colors. I picked one of these up, I always pick up the newest available razors. Haven't tried it yet, wanna finish up the back stock of mach3 blades.

Kaylore
02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
They announced that new Fusion type razor by gillette at the super bowl today. More blades means more money, and blades closer together means residue will build up and corrode the metal faster than before. They keep building more expensive blades that will get dull faster. It's actually pretty smart.

Hogan11
02-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Yup, 5 blades now eh?

I think I'll hold out for the Gillette 10 blade deluxe, it should be out by 2008

Kaylore
02-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Yup, 5 blades now eh?

I think I'll hold out for the Gillette 10 blade deluxe, it should be out by 2008
I remember a SNL skit where they had the MACH 20. It was funny then but now It's looking like the future.

DBroncos4life
02-06-2006, 01:37 AM
They announced that new Fusion type razor by gillette at the super bowl today. More blades means more money, and blades closer together means residue will build up and corrode the metal faster than before. They keep building more expensive blades that will get dull faster. It's actually pretty smart.
No this razor is great, it really is.

Blueflame
02-06-2006, 02:03 AM

.... not sure my "mental retinas" will ever recover from that image.... ack! :P

(way too much information! :o )

watermock
02-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Betcha that'll itch like a mofo when it starts to grow back in Ha!

I've never done anything like that so I wouldn't know....I remember hearing about guys on the swim team shaving off all their body hair for some reason and then being in agony after the season was over because of it.

It doesn't sound like much fun to me but if that's your deal, then go nuts Ha!

I bought one of those trimmers to avoid the barber for about 20 bucks total off the tv. Got a little tanked and woke up looking like Kevin Kasper....I'll try anything once...I didn't take into consideration it coming back in and itching...great...

It's kinda chilly too...I should of kept my fur...shave it off in February in NW Iowa when it's -10....BRILLIANT

Raider Bill
02-21-2006, 07:46 AM
When I remodled the Bathroom in my old house, there were several hundred of those double edged razor blades inside the wall behind the medicine cabinet!

Kaylore
02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
When I remodled the Bathroom in my old house, there were several hundred of those double edged razor blades inside the wall behind the medicine cabinet!
Gross

watermock
02-21-2006, 10:10 AM
My balls are starting to itch...KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SportinOne
04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
had to dig this back up.

never really followed this one all the way til the end..

good thing...(mock's comment at the end)

anyway.. Just got the Fusion. IMHO, it is way better than the Mach 3. The blades being closer together does help in the comfort department. All those blades can really cut some facial hair, too. I got some pretty tough facial hair, but it's no match. I wouldn't recomend going "Chiefsplanet" on yourself with this razor though, that might sting.

Perhaps the best thing about this razor, though, is the single blade on the back. I've always had problems trimming up the 'burns with the multi blade razors. For some reason the blade would never cut straight accross even if i was only using the top blade. This, however, cuts beautifully!

I will consider old school style in the future, but this is just way too convenient. A good shave is a wonderful thing!

Bronco in TN.
04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Stick with the Fusion but get a good Badger Hair brush and some good shaving soap. You'll love it and it's much cheaper than shaving gel and cream. Plus the soap makes the blades last a little longer.

SportinOne
04-24-2006, 07:16 PM
you got any recomendations for the brands on that brush and soap?

watermock
04-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm coming back in like a gorilla.

SportinOne
04-24-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm coming back in like a gorilla.

That's great, Mock.

Orange_Beard
04-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Grow a beard.

Mtbrncofn
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM

Damn, you're not kiddin. I hate buying razor blades and after reading through some of these posts from the guys, it seems they have the same problems. I've had the Venus for a long time, but it doesn't seem like it lasts very long and holy ****, I cut myself constantly with it.

I went and bought the mens Mach 3, power deal one. I used it the other day for the first time and loved it. Never cut myself once, which is a minor miracle for me. Then I went and looked at the blades. Geez! Why the heck are they so expensive? Both the Venus blades and the MP ones are the same. The MP works better for me so I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy the damn blades. Sigh.

SportinOne
04-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Grow a beard.

That's not gonna happen for at least another 2 years. But when i get out of the military, i probably won't shave for a year out of spite.

maher_tyler
04-25-2006, 03:36 AM

After I get out of the Military, I'm DONE with shaving. I'll just get a beard & Mustache trimmer.
AMEN TO THAT!!!

Boobs McGee
04-25-2006, 09:26 AM
The thing that cracks me up about the new fusion is this. The more blades you have, the less irritation because the skin is spread out evenly and yada yada yada. That's great and all, but the thing about the old school shaver is that there is NO pinching. NO irritation. One blade doesn't pinch the skin or get bound up at all. I bought the fusion, I wanted to try it out. SAME THING as my ol' school gillette. EXCEPT, a pack of 20 blades costs me 5 bucks instead of a 5 pack costing me $20 (or 12.95 or whatever it is). As long as you practice a bit, the ol school shaver is the way to go.

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
I wonder if we gals could use this old school deal on our legs. I'm not the most adept shaver out there. I cut myself regularly with the ladies ones, but for some reason seem to have much better luck with the guys ones.

Boobs McGee
04-25-2006, 09:58 AM
It's definitely a hair raising experience (no pun intended) the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it's FANTASTIC! So so so so SO very smooth. We're talkin baby's bottom here. I'd say give it a shot.

And by the way, everytime i see your name, Mountain Brown Coffin is what automatically pops into my head. I know it's Montana bronco fan, but my brain doesn't make the connection. useless info i know....BUT ANYWAYS TRY THE RAZOR!! You'll like it

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2006, 11:38 AM
It's definitely a hair raising experience (no pun intended) the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it's FANTASTIC! So so so so SO very smooth. We're talkin baby's bottom here. I'd say give it a shot.

And by the way, everytime i see your name, Mountain Brown Coffin is what automatically pops into my head. I know it's Montana bronco fan, but my brain doesn't make the connection. useless info i know....BUT ANYWAYS TRY THE RAZOR!! You'll like it

I could see this turning into a blood bath. But I may have to give it a shot.

Funny thing about that screen name. My license plates say the same thing, well the BRNCO FN part anyway. When my husband went in to get them, it was altogther ( BRNCOFN ) and the lady thought it stood for brown coffin. Ha!

Kaylore
04-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Um, as someone who is an advocate for old school shaving (obviously) I would do a little more research http://www.chrisbrimelow.com/cavemen.jpg before you start using a safety razor on you legs. I don't know that it's intended for use on the legs. I might be wrong, but as you pointed out, I'd hate to see you cuting the crap out of your legs.

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
In my mind, it seems like it would be a lot easier shaving legs than a face. It's a straight shot, pretty much....no obstacles to go around. Are they expensive? I mean am I gonna be pissed if I drop money on one and hate it? I suppose I could hand it over to my husband if it didn't work though.

OTOH, he shaves about once a week, so he probably wouldn't even use it. He's the kind that has never been able to grow a full beard ( thank God ) and doesn't have a lot of facial hair.

Kaylore
04-25-2006, 11:51 AM
In my mind, it seems like it would be a lot easier shaving legs than a face. It's a straight shot, pretty much....no obstacles to go around. Are they expensive? I mean am I gonna be pissed if I drop money on one and hate it? I suppose I could hand it over to my husband if it didn't work though.

OTOH, he shaves about once a week, so he probably wouldn't even use it. He's the kind that has never been able to grow a full beard ( thank God ) and doesn't have a lot of facial hair.
The blades are cheap. $15 for thirty platinum plated blades. The razor itself isn't. I have some links at the front of this page. I can only guess it will at least be much slower than you're used to since you're supposed to use small quick strokes and not long gliding ones. Good luck. :holyguac!

Boobs McGee
04-25-2006, 11:51 AM
I could see this turning into a blood bath. But I may have to give it a shot.

Funny thing about that screen name. My license plates say the same thing, well the BRNCO FN part anyway. When my husband went in to get them, it was altogther ( BRNCOFN ) and the lady thought it stood for brown coffin. Ha!

LOL that is pretty darn ironic!

In any case, you should probably listen to Kahn on this one....I don't really know if it would work on a woman's legs or not. A little more research is in order before I start giving that advice out.

I'll see if my friend leanne will try it, then I'll give you a full report.

On a side note, I've used it to shave places other than my face and it seemed to work well. Haven't tried the legs though;)

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
LOL Sensitive places?

Yeah, if Leanne looks like Freddy Krueger attacked, let me know. ;)

Boobs McGee
04-25-2006, 11:55 AM
The blades are cheap. $15 for thirty platinum plated blades. The razor itself isn't. I have some links at the front of this page. I can only guess it will at least be much slower than you're used to since you're supposed to use small quick strokes and not long gliding ones. Good luck. :holyguac!

btw, I finally bought a badger hair brush ...still using the burts bees soap, but MAN that brush is sweet!!! It actually lathers better than the brush I was using before, and it's so soft!! Nice recomendation.

Boobs McGee
04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
LOL Sensitive places?

;)

VERY scary the first time...but manscaping is now a worry free ritual

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Manscaping! Ha!

Aha, look what I found:

My husband has a safety razor and loves it. He uses sandalwood shaving soap and I spend a lot of time smelling his face after he shaves - I suppose that could be a plus if you want women all up in your grill smelling your face.

As an aside to the ladies: A shaving brush, shaving soap, and a safety razor works amazingly well for legs and armpits, too, and is a bazillion times cheaper than the Venus and its offshoots, plus I get a closer, more comfortable shave with that set up. The only downside is that you have to shave slowly, and I am usually in a mad hurry in the mornings. But even if I occasionally revert to modern multi-blade shaving for speed, I will never give up the brush and soap. It's so cheap and creates less trash and smells so good and the brush feels really nice.
posted by jennyb at 6:41 PM PST on October 23
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/25988

bendog
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
But sixty five bucks for a brush?

Boobs McGee
04-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Manscaping! Ha!

Aha, look what I found:

My husband has a safety razor and loves it. He uses sandalwood shaving soap and I spend a lot of time smelling his face after he shaves - I suppose that could be a plus if you want women all up in your grill smelling your face.

As an aside to the ladies: A shaving brush, shaving soap, and a safety razor works amazingly well for legs and armpits, too, and is a bazillion times cheaper than the Venus and its offshoots, plus I get a closer, more comfortable shave with that set up. The only downside is that you have to shave slowly, and I am usually in a mad hurry in the mornings. But even if I occasionally revert to modern multi-blade shaving for speed, I will never give up the brush and soap. It's so cheap and creates less trash and smells so good and the brush feels really nice.
posted by jennyb at 6:41 PM PST on October 23
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/25988

well, ya gotta be lookin groomed for the ladies ;D

Good find, looks like leanne won't have to go through a trial by fire. now YOU'LL have to give us a full report.

If I'm not mistaken, you can find some nice razor's at antique stores for pretty cheap (15-30$). Might be worth a look

Kaylore
04-25-2006, 12:19 PM
But sixty five bucks for a brush?
You buy it once, use it every day, and never need to get a new one.

watermock
04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
I bought that "just a trim" thingy and wound up going Kasper for amusement, but it's growing in even thicker...I must have the King Kong gene (except for the head). I was amused tho. You get a little older and you don't have problems with hair in your eyes, it's your eyelashes.

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
well, ya gotta be lookin groomed for the ladies ;D

Good find, looks like leanne won't have to go through a trial by fire. now YOU'LL have to give us a full report.

If I'm not mistaken, you can find some nice razor's at antique stores for pretty cheap (15-30$). Might be worth a look

I might have to check it out. I wonder if they make ladies scented shaving soap?

Bronco in TN.
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
you got any recomendations for the brands on that brush and soap?

"Williams Mug Soap" is a very good low cost soap. Lathers up pretty good and is easy to find in most pharmacies and grocery stores.

http://www.williamsmugsoap.com/

As far as brushes, you can find a good badger hair brush for $30. But I would probably go ahead and splurge on a slightly more expensive one. No need to go over $60. Just make sure it's badger hair and not boar hair. BIG difference. Amazon.com has a decent selection. I bought a complete set (Brush, bowl, soap, razor and stand) for $80 bucks.

This thread caught my attention when it was started and I decided to give it a try and I'm very glad I did. I still use a Mach 3 but I'll never go back to shaving gel or cream.

Kaylore
06-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm onto my second stack of razors. Remember I paid for $15 for two packs. Well that was about a year ago and I still haven't needed to buy razors and they still cut very well. So it is definitely, if nothing else, a money savor to use an old-school safety razor. :)

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm onto my second stack of razors. Remember I paid for $15 for two packs. Well that was about a year ago and I still haven't needed to buy razors and they still cut very well. So it is definitely, if nothing else, a money savor to use an old-school safety razor. :)

Are you using the fusion?

Kaylore
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Are you using the fusion?

No way. Go back and read the first part of the thread. It's an old-school safety razor. You can get a few packs of platinum plated razors for fifteen dollars. They last over a year and cut closer than the uber-expensive multi-bladed razors.

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 01:55 PM
No way. Go back and read the first part of the thread. It's an old-school safety razor. You can get a few packs of platinum plated razors for fifteen dollars. They last over a year and cut closer than the uber-expensive multi-bladed razors.

Nice, my grandfather shaved that way to. He saved all the old bars of soap that wore down over time. He used a old school razor that he stood by for fifty years. I on the other hand use the fusion now. Mainly because i shaved my head every other day. I buy the eight packs of the fusion for 12 bucks at the swap meet.

Kaylore
06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Nice, my grandfather shaved that way to. He saved all the old bars of soap that wore down over time. He used a old school razor that he stood by for fifty years. I on the other hand use the fusion now. Mainly because i shaved my head every other day. I buy the eight packs of the fusion for 12 bucks at the swap meet.

Well I wouldn't shave my head with a safety razor. Jason In LA posted some kind of razor that is designed just for the scalp you might want to look into. It's supposed to be really good and they have a special lotion for up there as well.

Jason in LA
06-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm sick of shaving and spending money on razors. I was thinking about trying that head blade razor.

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Well I wouldn't shave my head with a safety razor. Jason In LA posted some kind of razor that is designed just for the scalp you might want to look into. It's supposed to be really good and they have a special lotion for up there as well.

Its called headblade, ive never used it but ive used the head lotion which is really good for you're scalp.

Well I wouldn't shave my head with a safety razor ROFL!

Jason in LA
06-12-2007, 02:05 PM

http://headblade.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm sick of shaving and spending money on razors. I was thinking about trying that head blade razor.

Heres the link man.

http://www.headblade.com/index.html

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 02:08 PM
http://headblade.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

They came out with their own blade thats suppose to be better than like say a fusion blade. I might have to give it a try but the cost will be much greater then what im spending now.

RkyMtnThunder
06-12-2007, 02:14 PM
to each their own, but I spend maybe $50/yr on shaving supplies - Mach III refills last me 4-6 weeks. I dont see how I personally would save much money at all going 'old school' - quite the contrary it would seem

btw - its not 'old school' till you use a straight razor and hot towel! But who has time for that anyway?

Requiem
06-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Trimmer for my pubes, regular black and green Gillette for my face. Mock is back, **** YEAH!

Kaylore
06-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Mock is back, **** YEAH!
That post is over a year old.

Requiem
06-12-2007, 02:53 PM
You got my hopes all up Kaylore Khan.

Jason in LA
06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Trimmer for my pubes

TMI

Requiem
06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Jason, but it's FYI!

ZONA
06-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I use a slim twin every day with no creame or soap - just dry. It will feel odd at first and your skin has a bit of a burn to it but within a week you get used to it and some aftershave gel usually soothes if you still feel burning. It does go through blades fast but I spend about 30 seconds shaving so it's fine. You have to do it every day though, you miss a day and it's harder. The hairs never get stuck on the blade because it's not wet so you don't have to worry about cleaning. Also if you try to make a blade last too long, ouch, it's like yanking your hairs out. I just grit my teeth and bare it. I like the slim twin best because you can get under your nose really easy.

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
That post is over a year old.
:rofl:

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Trimmer for my pubes, regular black and green Gillette for my face. Mock is back, **** YEAH!

Gotta go with the fusion for the pubes.

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I use a slim twin every day with no creame or soap - just dry. It will feel odd at first and your skin has a bit of a burn to it but within a week you get used to it and some aftershave gel usually soothes if you still feel burning. It does go through blades fast but I spend about 30 seconds shaving so it's fine. You have to do it every day though, you miss a day and it's harder. The hairs never get stuck on the blade because it's not wet so you don't have to worry about cleaning. Also if you try to make a blade last too long, ouch, it's like yanking your hairs out. I just grit my teeth and bare it. I like the slim twin best because you can get under your nose really easy.

Why dont you use gel?

Sodak
06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
What if I want to shave my nutsack? Do they have a special blade for that too? The Nutblade?

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
What if I want to shave my nutsack? Do they have a special blade for that too? The Nutblade?

No, just use a new blade and pray.

Jason in LA
06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Some areas weren't meant to be shaven.

Atwater His Ass
06-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Depends on how much attention you want in said areas. Chicks dig smooth. Just saying.

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Depends on how much attention you want in said areas. Chicks dig smooth. Just saying.

I agree, have to at least keep it trimmed.

Kaylore
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
My philosophy for my "southern regions" is keep moss off the tree and mow the lawn. :thanku:

ZONA
06-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Why dont you use gel?

It's a waste of time and you get a closer shave dry. What people forget is that when you put water and gel (or shaving cream) on your face to moisten the hair, you also open up the pores in your face. When you face is dry, the pores remain more closed and tighter and you can get a closer shave. But that's not why I started shaving dry. I actually went to work one day and did not have time to shave at home so I just grabbed a razor and took it with me and figure I would shave in the bathroom at work with some soap. The soap was out and the sink was not working. I couldn't look like a bum so I shaved dry. Thankfully I shaved the day before and the razor was new. I thought it would hurt or burn really bad but I was very surprised at how little it burned. No cuts or anything. I liked how fast I shaved (didn't want anybody to come in and see me shaving so I scraped in 30 seconds) so I did it the next day and then have kept doing it. I no longer buy shaving cream or gel. Try it once. Make sure you get a good shave the day before, then use a new razor (slim twin) and use short strokes and go with the grain and be tough the first time. You might even want to slap yourself in the face a few times first, sorta get you in the mood for it. :)

Los Broncos
06-12-2007, 06:05 PM
It's a waste of time and you get a closer shave dry. What people forget is that when you put water and gel (or shaving cream) on your face to moisten the hair, you also open up the pores in your face. When you face is dry, the pores remain more closed and tighter and you can get a closer shave. But that's not why I started shaving dry. I actually went to work one day and did not have time to shave at home so I just grabbed a razor and took it with me and figure I would shave in the bathroom at work with some soap. The soap was out and the sink was not working. I couldn't look like a bum so I shaved dry. Thankfully I shaved the day before and the razor was new. I thought it would hurt or burn really bad but I was very surprised at how little it burned. No cuts or anything. I liked how fast I shaved (didn't want anybody to come in and see me shaving so I scraped in 30 seconds) so I did it the next day and then have kept doing it. I no longer buy shaving cream or gel. Try it once. Make sure you get a good shave the day before, then use a new razor (slim twin) and use short strokes and go with the grain and be tough the first time. You might even want to slap yourself in the face a few times first, sorta get you in the mood for it. :)

Thank you Dr. Zona. Should i shave my head the same too?

Atwater His Ass
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I also have shaved dry a time or two out of necessity. But every time it irritates my skin horribly. I don't see how you do it every day, but more power to you if it works for you.

ZONA
06-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I also have shaved dry a time or two out of necessity. But every time it irritates my skin horribly. I don't see how you do it every day, but more power to you if it works for you.

I use a new razor every 2 shaves. It has to be very sharp or it does snag and pull the hairs and hurts like a beotch. Obviously some areas is a little more sensitive then others, I could dry shave my cheeks and chin upwards, downwards, sideways with no problem. I almost feel nothing at all. The upper lip and neck area do get a little sensitive and thus I go with the grain in those areas. Slap on a little aftershave gel and all is good.

BroncoBuff
06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
GREAT THREAD!

I like my Mach 3 pretty well (although the battery is silly). But you MUST:

RINSE THE BLADES FULLY EVERY 2nd or 3rd STROKE!!

Ever since I started that, I get 3 weeks out of each blade.

I think the bigger-biggest culprit in sub-par standard shaving processes is the crappy gel creams Edge and Gillette sell ... but this new stuff is AWESOME! Three varieties depending on your skin. TRY THESE!!
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9181/edgeof4.jpg

BroncoBuff
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Geeez ..... Oral-B, Duracell, Braun and Gillette are the same company?

http://www.theessentials.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

They must have some powerful sub-liminal product synergy in their marketing, because all 4 of those brands get some heavy business and brand loyalty from me. Toaster, coffee-maker, razors electric and regular, toothbrushes (both electric and analog) and batteries in everything I own, even in the keyboard and mouse I'm using now ...

And I thought Oil company mergers were outta control .... :oyvey:

Dedhed
06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Electric is the only way to go.

http://shavers-and-replacement-parts.stores.yahoo.net/braun-8995-self-cleaning-razor.html

Billy Clyde Puckett
06-15-2007, 06:05 PM
GREAT THREAD!

I like my Mach 3 pretty well (although the battery is silly). But you MUST:

RINSE THE BLADES FULLY EVERY 2nd or 3rd STROKE!!

Ever since I started that, I get 3 weeks out of each blade.

I think the bigger-biggest culprit in sub-par standard shaving processes is the crappy gel creams Edge and Gillette sell ... but this new stuff is AWESOME! Three varieties depending on your skin. TRY THESE!!

Bingo.

I tried the orange label one today for the first time and really liked it. I hate the gels and I always had to hunt down on the dusty bottom shelves for my favorite, Joe Namath Noxema. (Take it off, take it all off ;D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNtddMTxmLw

Kaylore
06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm telling you guys, the beaver-hair brush and the mug with a glycerine based soap is the wa to go. :approve:

Los Broncos
06-15-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm telling you guys, the beaver-hair brush and the mug with a glycerine based soap is the wa to go. :approve:

I started shaving in the shower about three months ago. I bought a shower mirror thats anti fog (yeah right). But i take a bar of soap and rub all over my face and head, then apply shave gel. Works perfect, gets closer than ever.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Once you come to realize and accept that this stuff doesn't lather, and you only need a thin coat rubbed in, then you'll realize. Its better than anything I've ever used - gel, foam, lotion, soap, powder, even cup & brush.

Moving from gel to this stuff ^^^ was like moving from Sensor to Mach 3.

And Big Guy, you're right - I always loved menthol, but I don't think you can get it in any gel anymore .... just the old school foam.

ScotchTanShan
06-15-2007, 08:27 PM
I would love to get a straight razor and give that a go, but I know you can slice the hell out of yourself, but it will still give you the best shave. I go simple w/ disposable razors and use them a max of 2 times. Having a razor that bends when you shave really doesn't help.

Aveeno Shaving Cream
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/21YyhRP7kEL._AA180_.jpg

Bic simple disposable razor
http://img.tradekey.com/images/uploadedimages/products/3/8/A234177-20070116092638.jpg

As for shaving downtown, buy a beard trimmer with a smaller trimming surface and you're good to go.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Bic simple disposable razor
http://img.tradekey.com/images/uploadedimages/products/3/8/A234177-20070116092638.jpg

Unless they made quantum advances since 5-6 years ago, Bic disposables are prehistoric. Guaranteed to nick and cut.

No wonder you "bleed crimson," Scotch! :giggle:

doonwise
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Here's a great video series put out by a fellow on You Tube. The series really breaks down the art of classic shaving and it has taught me a lot. So, yes, count me in as one who's going 'Back to the Future!'

Actually, 2 series:

1. for people that are new to wet shaving (coming from electric shaving). I found it informative even though I was not new to wet shaving: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU&mode=related&search=

2. for people that are interested in single blade shaving or "classic shaving": http://youtube.com/watch?v=4F5u28JfnCM&mode=related&search=

Both series are done with a pretty funny 1950's monotone. Enjoy.

Los Broncos
08-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I started shaving in the shower, bought a shower mirror.

Also started using soap along with gel, so much closer and clean.

BroncoBuff
08-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Gotta admit, I haven't tried that. Beaver-hair, eh?

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/340/oregonstateuniversitygh7.gif

Odysseus
08-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Thanks for this killer thread. I'm looking forward to trying a straight edged razor when I get back.

Overseas I prefer the Mach three without the ultra stupid face vibrator. It's a close shave and the blades last forever.

Los Broncos
08-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for this killer thread. I'm looking forward to trying a straight edged razor when I get back.

Overseas I prefer the Mach three without the ultra stupid face vibrator. It's a close shave and the blades last forever.

I shave my head and its work great

Some much closer

maher_tyler
08-12-2007, 05:37 AM
Electric is the only way to go.

http://shavers-and-replacement-parts.stores.yahoo.net/braun-8995-self-cleaning-razor.html

I agree..it's quick, nothing to clean up and cuts as close as my M3 Turbo which i like more than the original M3 because it seems like the original created more irritation for me...my electric razor is a Remminton and works great...i used it pretty much for 2 months straight without charging it once..only part that it doesn't shave as close as my M3 turbo is on my neck.

Borks147
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
bump.

kaylore are you still using that Merkur Futur? I remembered this thread and I'm in the market for one - still recommend it after 3 years?

Kaylore
07-01-2009, 08:18 AM
bump.

kaylore are you still using that Merkur Futur? I remembered this thread and I'm in the market for one - still recommend it after 3 years?

Yes! It's excellent. I have had some issues with soap scum build up but it's fairly easy to clean. The thing you can't beat the is the razors give you a closer shave than standard multiple blade razors and they are dirt cheap. You can remove the blades and clean and rotate them as well to get more use out of them which is a boon in these tough times.

I do keep an old mach 3 for under my lip and parts of my chin when I'm in a hurry, but the Merkur is one of the best investments you'll make. It's made of a solid stainless steel and will probably last you the rest of your life.

Man-Goblin
07-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I am currently rocking the Billy Mays beard in memorium, but the Merkur intrigues me for when I get sick of it.

Until then, let's give the Epilady some love.

http://www.epilady.com/images/pic-epilady.jpg

HILife
07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
This is what I uses to shave with. My skin is to sensitive so I can't use razors. This gives me a close shave without messing up my face. It's not as close as a razor, but it's close enough. Also use it on my Gotee and to give myself an edge-up

https://www.giftlandofficemax.com/images/andis%20T%20Edjer%20trimmer.jpg

Requiem
07-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I've rarely used an electric and I have a sweet one I got a few years ago at Christmas. I just get a nice old school razor and use it till I need another. Smoother shave, closer shave, and it doubles as a suicide device.

HILife
07-01-2009, 08:58 AM
I've rarely used an electric and I have a sweet one I got a few years ago at Christmas. I just get a nice old school razor and use it till I need another. Smoother shave, closer shave, and it doubles as a suicide device.

Always need one of those

Captain 'Dre
07-01-2009, 11:04 AM
no mention of which aftershaves to use?

Specifically, which aftershaves don't do a 'napalm' job on your face after you've scraped the **** out of it with that straight razor. ugh!~

Drunk Monkey
05-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Bump, I made the change to an "old school razor" a year ago and still love it. I think I have recouped the larger up front cost by now with the cheaper razors. $1.77 at Wal Mart for a 10 pk. Look into it for a better cheaper shave.

gyldenlove
05-12-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.biggreensmile.com/products/razor-pit-razor-blade-sharpener-cleaner/razorpit.aspx?productid=razorpit

That thing will make your gillette blades last between 2 and 4 times longer, the problem with modern blades is they make them such that the crap builds up and the edges chip very easily, so after a few uses they will the **** out of you.

Chris
05-12-2011, 09:19 AM
bump.

Is that a type of merkin

broncosteven
05-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Right around the time Kahn posted this thread I went out and bought an old fashioned soap brush and starter shaving soap bar and put it in an old Bronco coffee mug I had collecting dust.

I got tired of applying cold foam that took forever to wash off my hands. Plus I wasn't getting very good shaves.

I stayed with the Mach 3 razor but just by lathering up with real hot water I found that I could raise the hairs so that I was getting much closer shaves. With the plus that I don't have to spend forever getting soap or foam off my hands.

I will never go back to cold shaves out of a can again.

Plus I save the small bits of hand soap that we used to throw out and put them in the mug and I have not had to buy any shaving soap/cream since.

Talk about saving the environment!

jhns
05-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I have used a razor to shave like three times in my life. Electric is so much faster and easier.

Kaylore
05-12-2011, 09:47 AM
That's good to hear. I am rocking a beard right now, so I mostly just shave my neck, cheeks and corners of my lips. Needless to say I am really stretching my razor usage now as I shave less beard and do so less often. I usually shave the beard in late spring/Summer though. I have tried a few different glycerine soap brands. Currently I am using Col. Conk's and it is pretty nice.

Good to hear that some of you have benefited from this old thread. :thumbsup:

broncosteven
05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
That's good to hear. I am rocking a beard right now, so I mostly just shave my neck, cheeks, taint, and corners of my lips. Needless to say I am really stretching my razor usage now as I shave less beard and do so less often. I usually shave the beard in late spring/Summer though. I have tried a few different glycerine soap brands. Currently I am using Col. Conk's and it is pretty nice.

Good to hear that some of you have benefited from this old thread. :thumbsup:

Fixed it for you

LOL

Fedaykin
05-12-2011, 10:19 AM

After getting tired of dumping $25 into Mach 3 razors over and over I started getting pissed at throwing expensive razors away and suspicious at why something that lasts maybe two weeks costs so much.

I started to develop conspiracy theories about shaving. I noticed that all the multple blades just created little spaces for crap to collect and that the saving cream left a residue that got more and more difficult to remove. I also noticed that when I used shaving cream the razors dulled faster than when I used soap. I then realized that razor companies probably did this intentionally to sell more razors.

Fed up, I decided to look at other options. That's when I found this arcticle on one of the "internets."

The article explains the history of shaving and why the current trend and technology is designed to use up razors and not necessarily create the best shave. So I used some of my Christmas money to buy the following items.

Then I purchased some glycerine based shaving soap and an old school mug. (I got a blue one since that was the only one offered in Bronco Colors. ;))

The new razor I had pruchased was still on it's way when I got these things so I decided to start using them with my Mach 3 in the mean time. Just using those three items was a different experience entirely. I found that the soap felt great and left nice smell on my skin. The blade would glide easily across my face and didn't leave the residue that the normal shaving foams and gels did. The brush and mug, when used correctly, creates a hot lather that warms and softens the bristles. This makes them easier to cut and allows them a little bit of give. The result is a smoother, closer shave.

Finally my razor arrived. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/190429.htm

Using it was a little weird. You have to use short quick strokes either with the grain or directly against it. Getting around the tough areas (chin, upper lip) can be difficult, but by the second try I had a handle on it. It was actually fun to use, and the shave is much closer than I would have thought. The experience is much better too. The smooth soaps and, the nice smell, and the slick feel of the razor is awesome. I actually enjoy shaving now. The number of in-grown hairs is reduced and my face is much silkier than I ever achieved with a muli-blade razor.

So gentlemen, there are some alternatives out there for you. I thought I would share some of the things I had found recently that make the experience better overall.

I didn't get everything from this site, though. I had to shop around for some of the things, but they give you a good set of what options are out there. I ended up buy a stand for my brush a little later as well because they are supposed to be stored bristles down if you want 10+ years out of them. I think if anything, you guys trying out the brush and a nice soap will make your overall experience better.

Real men don't whine about expensive shaving equipment.

Real men grow beards.

Just kidding, nice post. ;) I've been using a similar "old school" razor for a long time as quite literally my overly abundant and coarse facial hair (yay!) will destroy a modern razor exactly as you describe in 1-2 uses.

Kaylore
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Fixed it for you

LOL

:giggle: A taint reference! A popular synonym was "chode" when I was in middle school.

Smilin Assassin
05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
I have used a razor to shave like three times in my life. Electric is so much faster and easier.

Puberty is gonna hit you like a brick wall.

Doggcow
05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Right around the time Kahn posted this thread I went out and bought an old fashioned soap brush and starter shaving soap bar and put it in an old Bronco coffee mug I had collecting dust.

I got tired of applying cold foam that took forever to wash off my hands. Plus I wasn't getting very good shaves.

I stayed with the Mach 3 razor but just by lathering up with real hot water I found that I could raise the hairs so that I was getting much closer shaves. With the plus that I don't have to spend forever getting soap or foam off my hands.

I will never go back to cold shaves out of a can again.

Plus I save the small bits of hand soap that we used to throw out and put them in the mug and I have not had to buy any shaving soap/cream since.

Talk about saving the environment!

Same with your junk. Always warm it up first...

I always shave in the shower for this reason. I don't use shaving cream and I can usually get away with a month of mach 3, and then a painful month of mach 3.... I'm broke.

Mogulseeker
05-12-2011, 11:38 AM

You and me both... finding a decent stone for a straight razor is difficult though.... a safety razor looks like it could work, but I like to go all Sweeney Todd and ****.

BTW, I absolutely love this stuff: http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bath-products/mens-bath-product/for-men-maca-root-shave-cream.aspx

Mogulseeker
05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Hahaha, this was in 2006... turns out I'm not the best looking guy with a beard, lol.

Inkana7
05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Shaving ****ing sucks, so I may be investing in a brush, soap and old school razor soon.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
I bought the same razor mentioned in the OP, probably about 10 years ago. I bought it from a knife\razor shop in the mall in Boise. I was really disappointed because the shaft broke off right where it connects to the blade container.

The salesman (I think he was the owner operator) would not guarantee the razor or repair it. I had a funny feeling he had repaired before and soldered. I wish to this day I would have asked for it back so I could inspect it a little closer. My gut told me he just tried to resell it. Looking back I would imagine the manufacturer would have wanted to know about my experience, but that's too far in the past now.

I actually persuaded my dad to give me his 5 or 6 years ago because he doesn't use it anymore. I don't even use soap. I just shave in the shower with a fogless mirror. It's hard to beat a good sharp razor.

Drunk Monkey
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM

It's also a lot rougher on my face. I get bad razor burn from electrics. The last time I tried I gave it 1 month and my skin never adapted. This is by far the best option I have found.

jhns
05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
It's also a lot rougher on my face. I get bad razor burn from electrics. The last time I tried I gave it 1 month and my skin never adapted. This is by far the best option I have found.

Yeah, I have that problem if I don't shave every day. My face doesn't get the razor burn but I will walk around with a bright red neck all day if I shave after skipping a day or two.

alkemical
05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I have that problem if I don't shave every day. My face doesn't get the razor burn but I will walk around with a bright red neck all day if I shave after skipping a day or two.

...Everyday..... :thumbsup:

jhns
05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
...Everyday..... :thumbsup:

LOL

I can't help it. I was born and raised in Nebraska.

PRBronco
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
You and me both... finding a decent stone for a straight razor is difficult though.... a safety razor looks like it could work, but I like to go all Sweeney Todd and ****.

BTW, I absolutely love this stuff: http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bath-products/mens-bath-product/for-men-maca-root-shave-cream.aspx

Hey I use that stuff too, but I think mine's gone bad, does your reek like hairspray? The maca root aftershave is the **** though, it puts out my face fire.

Harvitz81
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM

A belgian coticule is all you'll ever need to maintain an edge on your straight. You can get them at www.thesuperiorshave.com

Beware if you get into straights though as they can become addicting. I own enough that if used in a rotation each straight would probably only see 3 shaves each year (And I shave everyday).

Chris
05-12-2011, 01:46 PM
I've had a beard for a year and a half. Shaving sucks.

Beantown Bronco
05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Gotta bump this Mock classic:

My Festus/Jake beard got beaten down on the Monday after the catasrophe. Took me damn an hour. I was lookin' skid row. I didn't look like Jesus, more like Festus. But Festus was a good man too. He was kinda like Pubes with Shanny come to think of it. When Matt was out of town Festus would hold down the town. I still laugh about Matt's and Kitty's friendship upstairs...

Those are good shows. Mind wandering...must refocus...this is offeseason...mind wanders more...Bonanza was idiotic but amusing as well...Remember Mannix? Heh...He was pretty crafty too...I haven't had a Mannix sighing in years. OK, my alzhiemers is briefly gone...

I just use the Bic for sensitive skin...my problem as allready posted is clogging...it seems like multi blades are not only rediculously expensive, they just clog even worse. Single blade Sensitive Skin razors are my choice, and I usually only use them twice. I had a bush! It was my lucky charm for Jake and he lays an egg.

I was starting to get money out of the liquor store change bucket. I could make it as a full time bum...in fact...I kinda did once...living at the lake or the coal box car in Durango with a true bum. I just wanted the exerience of being a bum for some reason.

broncosteven
05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Gotta bump this Mock classic:

DKshg;suhfg;oshfg;oihsf;ogh;soufh;goush'oifhgsfh

For old times sake.

NUB
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Google has caught on to shavenigans.

http://i.imgur.com/iMTr1.jpg

broncosteven
05-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Google has caught on to shavenigans.

http://i.imgur.com/iMTr1.jpg

Why does the other tab on your pic show a site called HotMalesover50butnoolderthan60withnograyhair.com?

LetsGoBroncos
05-12-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree..it's quick, nothing to clean up and cuts as close as my M3 Turbo which i like more than the original M3 because it seems like the original created more irritation for me...my electric razor is a Remminton and works great...i used it pretty much for 2 months straight without charging it once..only part that it doesn't shave as close as my M3 turbo is on my neck.

I have a Norelco electric one from about 4 years ago. At the time it was top of the line. What are the best electric ones out there today? I think I'm due for a new one.

Also, any tips for using an electric without making your neck kinda break out?

LetsGoBroncos
05-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Anyone have this one?

http://panasonic.premiumstore.com/details/11094/panasonic-esla63s.html

whatsgolden
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I started using a mug & brush about 3 years ago & love it. It changed shaving from a chore that I dreaded to something I actally enjoy. I usually rock 3 day stubble to a full beard & found shaving my neck to be a huge pain in the arse, I almost always got razor burn & redness. A friend of mine gave out the Art of Shaving (http://www.theartofshaving.com/) line as groomsmen gifts & they're amazing. More expensive than most shaving products, but the pre-shave oil, shave soap and after-shave lotion are fantastic products that completely eliminate any irritation.

The Merkur safety blades work great in my old school razor.

I tell just about any female who will listen that these are the best father's day/bday or christmas gifts for the guys in their life that hate shaving.

El Minion
06-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Anybody try the Blade Buddy (http://www.getbladebuddy.com)? Looks promising and money saver for the 3+ blade cartridge racket.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TS7fDTwmtq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

broncocalijohn
06-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I like how they want you to feel guilty by saying "Throwing away the razo blade clogs landfills." Yeah, that is what we think of when tossing them away.

I remember this thread when Kaylore started it 6 years ago. Good bump.

DenverBrit
06-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Anybody try the Blade Buddy (http://www.getbladebuddy.com)? Looks promising and money saver for the 3+ blade cartridge racket.

I was told about this method a few years go and it seems to work when I remember to do it.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5ADaRIqy0Dc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cutthemdown
06-11-2012, 01:09 PM
I have a blade sharpener i use with Mach 3, one pack lasts a yr.

cutthemdown
06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah El Minion Blade Buddy is what I have. It works pretty well and you save on blades big time.

ludo21
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
where do you get one? el minion buddy that is?

broncocalijohn
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM

You need a backpack buddy that leaves you first. BTW, when this thread was started 6 years ago, were you even shaving? Hilarious!

Kaylore
06-11-2012, 01:23 PM
This one of my oldest threads. Thanks for bumping this. Still using my merkur safety blades, though I keep a Mach 3 around for the chin and what not.

DenverBrit
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Amazon probably. ;)

kappys
06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
I use an old school safety razor - The gilette 1903 but there are plenty of options.

Combine with a proper blade - feather is the sharpest, I still use them a lot but have been experimenting a little more recently. Wilkerson Sword is a solid brand.

Safety razor will run you around $30 and the blades are 10 to 25c each depending on quantity/brand. I use each blade for 3 shaves(if done daily) but could go further I just love the feel of a very sharp blade and they are so cheap.

I now much prefer this to a straight blade. I have gotten proficient enough that the shave is just as close save a couple of ackward spots under my chin. It takes much less time than a straight, there is no hassle of stropping/sharpening blades. While I do think a freshly sharpened straight is hard to beat once it gets even a little dull there is a significant drop off in the shave and the replaceable blades are easily better.

Cmac821
06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
How is the technique different with a safety razor compared to a 3+ blade setup?

TerrElway
06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I have used an old school brush and shaving soap in a mug for years. I have a new fangled razor with a broncos logo on the handle that the blades cost $20 for a pack of 4. But with the brush and soap I can make one pack of those razors last 4 or 5 months.

The other trick I read in a magazine (it's like an internet you hold in your hands and use your fingers to turn paper pages), was to dry the blades well when finished so I always wipe them off with my towel. It seems to have helped a little.

But the shave with a brush and soap is far superior to using cream and it doesn't irritate my face hardly at all whereas a shave with cream always tore me up.

Fedaykin
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I normally keep a goatee and only "shave" with a trimmer, unless I have a need to get cleaned up nice for some reason (client meetings, etc.). Only one girl has ever complained about the stubbly me.

ludo21
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
You need a backpack buddy that leaves you first. BTW, when this thread was started 6 years ago, were you even shaving? Hilarious!

;D of course. I shaved in high school!

manchambo
06-11-2012, 04:58 PM
How is the technique different with a safety razor compared to a 3+ blade setup?

Go to YouTube and search for "mantic" for some excellent tutorial videos. I would say the main differences are that you use much less pressure and shave in two or three passes. You will inevitably burn yourself the first few times but once you get it down, particularly with a super sharp blade like the feather, you'll wonder why you ever used that old crap.

El Minion
06-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Click on the link (http://www.getbladebuddy.com/) I posted (http://www.getbladebuddy.com/). I'm going to try what DenverBrit posted though don't want my arm hair accidentally shaved by using it for razor stropping.

DenverBrit
06-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Click on the link (http://www.getbladebuddy.com/) I posted (http://www.getbladebuddy.com/). I'm going to try what DenverBrit posted though don't want my arm hair accidentally shaved by using it for razor stropping.

LOL

I use the upper arm. ;D

Cmac821
06-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Go to YouTube and search for "mantic" for some excellent tutorial videos. I would say the main differences are that you use much less pressure and shave in two or three passes. You will inevitably burn yourself the first few times but once you get it down, particularly with a super sharp blade like the feather, you'll wonder why you ever used that old crap.

you just sent me to youtube watching guys shave for the last 20 minutes. But it doesn't look like a drastic of a change as I thought. It looks so much better then what I do.

I'm younger so I only have hair in the goatee areas and I shave maybe every other day to keep a smooth face, would the change be worth it as this point?

manchambo
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
you just sent me to youtube watching guys shave for the last 20 minutes. But it doesn't look like a drastic of a change as I thought. It looks so much better then what I do.

I'm younger so I only have hair in the goatee areas and I shave maybe every other day to keep a smooth face, would the change be worth it as this point?

It is a better/more comfortable way to shave, no matter how often you shave. But I think most people who do it (and I'm including here using a good old fashioned cream or soap and brush) find it to be a relaxing ritual and semi-hobby that they enjoy. In other words, it is enjoyable to them for reasons apart from its utility in removing hair from their faces.

maher_tyler
06-12-2012, 11:07 AM
I just bought one of them new Gillette razors with the trimmer. It works pretty good. Maybe when that wears out, i'll get into this. Worried i'm going to cut the **** outta myself though :giggle:

kappys
06-12-2012, 07:34 PM
It is a better/more comfortable way to shave, no matter how often you shave. But I think most people who do it (and I'm including here using a good old fashioned cream or soap and brush) find it to be a relaxing ritual and semi-hobby that they enjoy. In other words, it is enjoyable to them for reasons apart from its utility in removing hair from their faces.

Exactly. I still keep a triple blade razor in the shower for those days I wake up later and need to rush to get to work - don't like the shave but it'll certainly do for work purposes.

broncosteven
06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
;D of course. I shaved in high school!

Does taint count?

That was for not helping me out on my last Survivor vote!

Bacchus
06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Anyone shave their pubes?

broncosteven
06-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I highly suggest putting the left over tiny pieces of soap in an old or unused coffee mug and buying a brush to lather up with. It lifts the hairs and you get a better shave than with creams or gels just from the fact of the brush lifting the hairs.

I add some of my wife's shower gel to get a more pleasant fragrance and better lather if/when needed. I got tired of most of my gel/cream going down the sink or spending more time getting it off my hand than working up a lather and applying with a brush.

Plus you can make the lather really hot and that alone makes it 98% better than a can right there.

broncosteven
06-12-2012, 07:46 PM

I watched some switch movie with the annoying dude from2 guys a girl and pizza place and the guy with the hot sister who was in Family ties back in the 80's. It actually was funnier than I thought. There were jokes were centered around manscaping. Plus Entourage kept bringing it up this last season.

I sport the married guy fro, anyone who spends that much time on their junk who is not a porn star has problems. Plus you have to deal with possible ingrown hairs or burning. Kids watch too much porn. I like a nice big old hair pie.

PRBronco
06-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Won't be a big difference in your case, except for the long term cost. Cartridge razor prices are absurd. It was worth the switch for me because the angle the safety razor cuts at keeps me from getting ingrown hairs under my chin. Even though I still suck at lathering correctly ><

theAPAOps5
06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
This post is the very definition of Mock!

manchambo
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I highly suggest putting the left over tiny pieces of soap in an old or unused coffee mug and buying a brush to lather up with. It lifts the hairs and you get a better shave than with creams or gels just from the fact of the brush lifting the hairs.

I add some of my wife's shower gel to get a more pleasant fragrance and better lather if/when needed. I got tired of most of my gel/cream going down the sink or spending more time getting it off my hand than working up a lather and applying with a brush.

Plus you can make the lather really hot and that alone makes it 98% better than a can right there.

Are you talking about body soap? If so, that's a really terrible idea. You'd be much better off with something out of a can.

broncosteven
06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Are you talking about body soap? If so, that's a really terrible idea. You'd be much better off with something out of a can.

I did forget to add that I started the mug off with a shaving soap plug thingy, I throw the body soap chips in and add some of my wifes fancy face soap when needed. No issues with dry skin so far.

El Minion
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Don't go electric, here's why: (http://imgur.com/gallery/fkkn3)

Beard hairs under a scanning electron microscope: razor (left) versus electric shaver (right)

http://i.imgur.com/fkkn3.png

Los Broncos
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I use the Schick 5 blade Hydro with Edge Pro gel.

Works really good with head shaving too.

Archer81
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Last 3 months I've let my facial hair get to grizzly adams proportions, then shave it off. Namely because $20 for 4 razors is Gotdam redicules. I need a good electric shaver. For uhh...research...and stuff.

El Minion
06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZUG9qYTJMsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kaylore
01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
I was told about this method a few years go and it seems to work when I remember to do it.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5ADaRIqy0Dc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I tried this thing where you rub the razor opposite direction on your arm and it totally extends the life of your razor. Seriously thrilled about this.

broncosteven
01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
So I tried this thing where you rub the razor opposite direction on your arm and it totally extends the life of your razor. Seriously thrilled about this.

Is Terry wearing pants?

Kaylore
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Is Terry wearing pants?

I don't know but I bet his penis looks like one of those zoomed in pictures of the hair follicles post cut.

Doggcow
01-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Depends on the girl. But usually I say no, a good trim works great. Shaving one's balls is a must though.

BroncoBuff
01-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Okay, I've adopted a new technique ... not a conventional wisdom technique, but it does provide the most comfortable shaves I've ever had.

Heat the entire face with hot water as usual, leave lightly damp.
Apply an even layer of lotion over entire shave area. Better lotion is better of course, I use the better half's Nivea, pretty good.
Apply shave cream or gel directly over lotion. It's okay to mix them some.
Shave as usual

I can shave faster, closer, without the slightest irritation, burn, nothing at all. Started using this process almost a year ago, and it's worked so well for me that if there's no lotion, I have to get some before I shave.

Lotion step might not seem revolutionary, after all some gels have lotion in them, but it seemed strange to me at first ... thought the lotion would slow the blades or something, but there's no problems.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1994/shavex.jpg