PDA

View Full Version : Question: Would you be willing to chip in for a "Broncos Fans Only" premium forum?

Pages : [1] 2

Taco John
12-18-2005, 03:28 AM
I've had some people bring up this idea before, and I've been against it due to the fact that I haven't liked the idea of splitting the community like this based on who pays and who doesn't. That said I recognize that this community is growing beyond anything I've ever imagined, and I am a little distressed at the fact that some of the better posters have gotten drowned out due to the amount of traffic we get. The signal to noise ration might not be right anymore, and I want to do what I can to improve that.

So my idea is to create a subscription based forum using PayPal, where only Broncos fans could post. It would be only accessible by bonafide broncos fans, and you couldn't even get access to it until you had a certain amount of posts in the main forum... I'm thinking anywhere from 500 to 1000 posts (or some sort of date/quiz qualification form where long time readers could gain access if they could pass the test), just to make certain the users are bonafide broncos fans... and to make it exclusive to established members of the community.

The cost would be something like $5 bucks a month if you pay monthly, or $35 bucks per year if you paid by the year. I'd then upgrade the forum to the high end server available through our current host. As part of the membership, Google banner ads would be disabled for your account, so you don't have to see them.

This forum wouldn't change. It would operate the way it is operating now... It would be available to one and everybody, just as it is now. The other forum, of course, would have less traffic, no rival fans, and a core of the community who is into this site and into the Broncos so much that they're willing to contribute a little bit of their hard earned for this exclusive access, so you know the quality of poster would be high.

This is an idea I'm kicking around. If there is enough support for the idea, I'll move on it.

I just see this site growing and have heard some horror stories recently about how communities are getting lost because of the growth of the boards, and I want to do what I can to prevent that.

What do you think?

Pezman
12-18-2005, 03:37 AM
TJ, the price of disabling ads, and adding personalized things like siggys are benifits that we could really use to progress the site forward into becoming a major sports online source, without losing the base of visiting posters as a whole.

Personally, I love the idea since it gives everyone the option to see a bonus of their subscription by being able to disable ads and maybe get even more benefits. There will always be those who wont ever pay to visit a message board, but for those who do, at least they know the money is well spent on a beloved site that we've all grown to use regularly.

If the option comes between losing the site, and having a premium membership to keep the Mane running smooth, I dont see any other choice that would make as good of a decision as this.

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 03:39 AM
My thought? Anyone who decided to forego the premium forum would feel "left out" within a very short time... there would be "inside jokes" and references that only the ones with access would understand. I sure wouldn't want to miss out on the full access option.

Pezman
12-18-2005, 03:44 AM
Of course, it dawns on me that perhaps certain forums here could be restricted access as well unless you are a paid member (War and Politics) cough cough ;D

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Of course, it dawns on me that perhaps certain forums here could be restricted access as well unless you are a paid member (War and Politics) cough cough ;D

Hehehe...

ZachKC
12-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Even though it wouldn't be available to me I think this would be a good idea for this community. I have never been a fan of such a thing until TJ made the case for OM.

You can easily drop 35 dollars going out to some casual dining place or a night out at a bar. For anyone who spends a lot of time here it seems like a small price.

There are a lot of users on here where the value for your dollar would be quite good.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 04:05 AM

I don't want to get too carried away. I just want to address the issue of making certain the core of this community is kept in tact while keeping a steady stream of revenue coming in to address server growth.

And, I'll tell you what. My long term vision of this site is to have our own exclusive reporting staff (brought up through our own ranks). I'd even our own photographer on the sidelines during home games (also brought up through our own ranks). Currently, the only way to do that is to sell out to a network site with press access , as the Broncos wont grant online sites press credentials. I've tried to get credentials. They practically laughed in my face. I'll admit, It was a demoralizing blow that sent me reeling and made me consider what the hell I'm doing here. I've since recovered and have come to grips once again with my dream for this place. Screw the front office's silly policies. If they don't want to work with us, we'll just have to work around them in whatever ways we can.

The other obstacle, of course, is the ability to pay writers. But before I get too far down that path, I want get the server square... I've got other ideas brewing to cover the writers. This is a long term vision anyway. First things first, and what's important to me right now is community dynamics.

...and save the "sell shirts" idea folks. I love the idea, but it's naive to come at me with that idea as the solution to all of our problems. Shirts aren't a big money maker, and they have a limited run. I've done the research and I know what I'm getting into there. I like the idea, but it's a small potoatoes idea in my mind, and I'm a big picture guy with only so much time to dedicate to this hobby (I have a career, and have been struggling with some other issues, but that's neither here nor there right now ). We will have shirts and hats at some point in time, but not until we get this other stuff worked out. I'm more concerned about long term solvency issues of the community, and the idea for shirts and hats is like putting a fan out your front door to blow away a weather pattern. I need to find something steady that can be forecasted and counted on without having to ask for donations again and again and again (I hate doing that, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it).

Anyway, I'm rambling now. This is the idea that's on my mind right now. I think it would solve a lot of headaches for a lot of people, myself included. I'd like to get more feedback on this idea.

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Pay to get rid of non-Bronco fans?

Fan ****ing tastic where do I sign up and how much is it>

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 09:09 AM
My thought? Anyone who decided to forego the premium forum would feel "left out" within a very short time... there would be "inside jokes" and references that only the ones with access would understand. I sure wouldn't want to miss out on the full access option.
So what.

Sir Mawn
12-18-2005, 09:11 AM
It makes perfect sense to me. I'm pretty sure "premium" posters wouldn't shy away from the main board anyway.

It's about time we chip in, Taco, and if we can do it for even more stuff in return then I'm all for it.

What occurs to me is that we could start with a core of quality, oldtime posters. And then nominate new candidates twice a year or something. How's THAT for a rep system?

ludo21
12-18-2005, 09:14 AM
My only thing with it is, you dont want to make it too much money or too little. Either money will be an issue and people (quality OM posters) will not get the invite due to funds, and if its too little money posters will drop the dough with ease and the traffic will be the same.

ideas there TJ???

mattleecrew
12-18-2005, 10:25 AM
I dont mind kicking in a little money for something like this but I wouldnt be as big on restricting who can and cant join the premium section based on posts, etc... Being a limited poster myself it would be something I would take issue with, why would I need to prove myself if Im already showing a commitment by paying for the service. I may not post alot but get just as much from this site as those who post just to see their numbers and rep climb. If I have something to say or contribute I say it and if not I just read what others have to say. Being a Broncos fan outside the denver area, this site has become a great place to connect with other fans, get quality info from week to week as well as the offseason. I think of the two times I have had a chance to meet other Omaners, at the HOF last summer and a couple months back at the Giants game. It was an open and friendly atmosphere, "Oh your a Broncos fan? Great, join the party, have a drink, enjoy!" It has been the same here, if your a broncos fan, then welcome and join the party. I wouldnt want to ruin that atmosphere by having a disconnect between "premium" and regular users because they dont post every day or dont know enough history to prove they bleed orange and blue.
Yes I would contribute to help you build what has become a great board and to keep it going strong as long as there arent strong restrictions on who can and cannot join.

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Premium, $35 a year seems fair, especially if it keeps the trolls away.

As long as it didn't become an elitest snobbish area where rookies and n00bs were scoffed at by 'senior/older' members.

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I dont mind kicking in a little money for something like this but I wouldnt be as big on restricting who can and cant join the premium section based on posts, etc... Being a limited poster myself it would be something I would take issue with, why would I need to prove myself if Im already showing a commitment by paying for the service. I may not post alot but get just as much from this site as those who post just to see their numbers and rep climb. If I have something to say or contribute I say it and if not I just read what others have to say. Being a Broncos fan outside the denver area, this site has become a great place to connect with other fans, get quality info from week to week as well as the offseason. I think of the two times I have had a chance to meet other Omaners, at the HOF last summer and a couple months back at the Giants game. It was an open and friendly atmosphere, "Oh your a Broncos fan? Great, join the party, have a drink, enjoy!" It has been the same here, if your a broncos fan, then welcome and join the party. I wouldnt want to ruin that atmosphere by having a disconnect between "premium" and regular users because they dont post every day or dont know enough history to prove they bleed orange and blue.
Yes I would contribute to help you build what has become a great board and to keep it going strong as long as there arent strong restrictions on who can and cannot join.

Good post.

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 11:11 AM
So what.

While some posters might not feel the same as I do, I'd want to be "in the loop" on everything the Mane has to offer. You bet I'd want the premium access... and the fact that the $$ would be helping TJ just makes the deal more attractive to me. :thumbsup:

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Premium, $35 a year seems fair, especially if it keeps the trolls away.

As long as it didn't become an elitest snobbish area where rookies and n00bs were scoffed at by 'senior/older' members.
Thats what its for.

So we old timers can sit back and clown on you newbs. ;D

Bronx33
12-18-2005, 11:28 AM
http://72.22.74.110/BB/image.php?u=1357&dateline=1134612741

I find this offensive!

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 11:33 AM
http://72.22.74.110/BB/image.php?u=1357&dateline=1134612741

I find this offensive!

LOL I'd find it offensive too if it were Chefs week (too much red! ;D)

Goobzilla
12-18-2005, 11:46 AM
$35 to be troll-free is a bargain at twice the price.

dbroncos31
12-18-2005, 11:48 AM
that sounds great

Bronx33
12-18-2005, 11:48 AM
LOL I'd find it offensive too if it were Chefs week (too much red! ;D)

You can almost see her buttocks.....:~ohyah!:

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
$35 to be troll-free is a bargain at twice the price.
Don't give anyone any ideas about it being more expensive!!

Where would the money go TJ?

i'm just interested in if anything will be better, except the barring of the trolls?
You wouldn't accept money from Boob surely(I could see him paying!), there'd be uproar!

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
You can almost see her buttocks.....:~ohyah!:
I, for one, am utterly disgusted. :brokehalo

iforgotmypassword
12-18-2005, 12:01 PM
well mostly all I do on this board is look around and view it, maybe as non premium members we could still view the thread of the premium members but just not post on it? just an idea

-Slap-
12-18-2005, 12:06 PM
JetsInsider.com (http://www.jetsinsider.net/ji/index.php) employs a similar format. There is an inescapably elitist air about the place, but such is life. People are people and attitudes of that nature are normal. I will do my best to distance myself from that type of situation, as I feel its entirely counterintuitive to what I believe is the function of boards such as this one. More on that later.

I know one thing that has really bothered some posters on this board is the intrusive ad placement. The idea of charging money not to have ads in the middle of the page is analogous to paying some company who infected you with adware for their removal program. Its a somewhat extortive method of doing business.

I would assume that having advertisment placed less promimently would be part of the service provided, and most likely, the only one I would consider particularly useful.

The whole idea of some Bronco Fans Only Club strikes me as sort of a dreary proposition. Does that mean that posters like Patswin and TheNextStep will be excluded from that board because they're not Bronco fans? The poster who's had Bronco season tickets for 30 years will be left out because they have a personal or professional life that only allows them to post here sporadically? Don't even get me started about a requisite number of posts or some kind of stupid quiz. That's an idea that's both unwieldy and rather insulting.

Anyway, if I haven't made myself crystal clear on the topic, I'll pay to remove the ads, but I will studiously avoid any kind of elitist, members only, homer camp for board approved Bronco fans.

I like slugging it out with the riffraff and I like diversity of opinions (although, I admit, that's not readily apparent). I know what most of the Regulars here think about a lot of issues already. There's no need for me to dissect that information any finer than its already been presented. I'm interested in what the football fans who don't live on this board think about things, too. The person with five posts is just as capable of putting up a solid football take as some dork who has 17,334 posts. Only a very arrogant and misguided person would believe otherwise.

Perhaps the Broncos Only board can be refuge where people can hide after a disappointing loss and the trolls are running loose through the streets. I find the natural evolution of things more satisfying, though. Shanahan and Company sent the trolls packing this season and their humble silence and jealous loser talk is music to my ears.

Hopefully no one's feelings were hurt by anything I said, but honest opinions were solicited and this is mine.

missingnumber7
12-18-2005, 12:13 PM
I have no bad feelings about the 35 bucks. 1 TJ puts in an ungodly amount of time on keeping everyone happy, or trying to. The server changeover was huge and this board looks freakin awesome. 2 Payin a little bit and yes, 5 bucks a month or 12 for the price of 7 is a huge deal. How much do some of you pay to read a paper online or even have a paper delivered to your house that you may read a 1/4th of every day. And you come here every day to read and post. I know I would put in my 35/year and it wouldn't affect my visitation schedule to the mane. TJ diserves it and maybe if there are enough people OF1 and the tailgaters could see a little kick in from it too. Good Idea TJ and kudos for thinking of things to keep improving one of the best message boards out there.

Nuggets4
12-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Anyway, if I haven't made myself crystal clear on the topic, I'll pay to remove the ads, but I will studiously avoid any kind of elitist, members only, homer camp for board approved Bronco fans.

Ditto. No offense TJ, but I think this is an absolutely awful idea for the reasons slap mentioned above.

Goobzilla
12-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Good points Slap. I'm not looking for a homer board, but it would be nice to be ad-free and troll free especially during Chief weeks when this board is damn near unreadable. I'd also like to be able to access the board at the end of games. I'd be willing to pony up for some of these solutions but I'm not looking to get "elitist".

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 12:15 PM
some long winded nonsense
Perhaps the Broncos Only board can be refuge where people can hide after a disappointing loss and the trolls are running loose through the streets. I find the natural evolution of things more satisfying, though. Shanahan and Company sent the trolls packing this season and their humble silence and jealous loser talk is music to my ears.
BINGO!

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Ditto. No offense TJ, but I think this is an absolutely awful idea for the reasons slap mentioned above.
You dont have enough posts to have an opinion.

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 12:19 PM
BINGO!
RIght, but what happens when Boob pays 35 bucks? It strikes me that he may.

Goobzilla
12-18-2005, 12:22 PM

I'm sure the Ketchup & Mustard nation is digging thru their couch cushions as we speak to pay for their delegate's admittance.

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 12:24 PM
What part of Broncos fans ONLY do you not understand?

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Whoa, chill fella. Was just thinking somone may be able to infiltrate and wondering how it would be stopped.
???

Nuggets4
12-18-2005, 12:41 PM

You honestly think TJ's going to turn down money?

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 12:44 PM
You honestly think TJ's going to turn down money?
If its not Broncos Only he wont be getting any money from most of the people that would do it.

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Whoa, chill fella. Was just thinking somone may be able to infiltrate and wondering how it would be stopped.
???
Somehow I doubt any non-bronco fan would last long.

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I can't see Boob using an alias and paying $35 only to be banned quickly, but can see someone paying the $5 and then cancelling to rile up the fans avoiding the trolls. Who knows, 'twas merely a thought.

watermock
12-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Trolls don't really bother me, but I would easily give 50 bucks to kick LABF out of his self made troll room...we used to actually able to discuss politics in a rational manner...dissenting opinions included...it got to be if I made a post, he would just paste 10 bartcop images insulting our President to push me off the page...I don't mind dissent...there is plenty to go around...but when you try to hog an entire forum that's over the top...that's why I kinda break the rules and sometimes make a political comment here...it's not because I can't find the room...I just know noone goes there anymore...that's why we have seen LABF sightings on the main room lately...he's gotten tired of talking to himself like Gollum...

Do what ya got to do Taco...it's your baby...

Hogan11
12-18-2005, 01:12 PM

Me too.

ak1971
12-18-2005, 01:13 PM
porn?

Goobzilla
12-18-2005, 01:17 PM
porn?

Now we're getting to the important issues ^5

minibronco
12-18-2005, 01:27 PM
My thought???? Can anybody lend me 5 bucks????

jk

But seriously though, I think those who pay would stop visiting this site right here and we'd have a very very sucky forum.

RhymesayersDU
12-18-2005, 01:27 PM

Ex-freakin-zactly. I voted "no" in the poll, only because I personally want no part of some Broncos-only board that is gunna be a massive circle jerk. But, I'd probably be able to chip in for the removal of ads. I am a college student, but at the same time, TJ has put together a great site and a great service, and it'd be worth it.

-Slap-
12-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I have no problem with a standard fee, but I can't see ever availing myself of the Country Club board. Being "in the loop" is an overrated, and often illusory condition.

It is my, probably naive, hope that the intent is not to make the Members Only board somehow spiffier than the main board. For example, exclusive access to polls, avatars, etc, while the plebian masses make due with a stripped down, no-frills, and ad-filled free board. This will eventually lead to a gradual exodus of Regulars who don't want to only play with pre-approved mates. Hopefully those people will pay up a year in advance before they drift away.

The challenge will be to replace those posters by adding new posters. The most likely way this will be achieved will be to increase the difference in perceived value between the free board and the Country Club board. I will watch that development with great interest.

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Ex-freakin-zactly. I voted "no" in the poll, only because I personally want no part of some Broncos-only board that is gunna be a massive circle jerk. But, I'd probably be able to chip in for the removal of ads. I am a college student, but at the same time, TJ has put together a great site and a great service, and it'd be worth it.

When the ads first showed up, Alec, i think, showed us all who were about that day how to get rid of them. I don't get them anymore, I just don't remember how I did it... So you shouldn't have to pay when it can be done for nowt.

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a question about the price. Now before anyone gets all uppity, this is just an inquiry.

Is the price (I understand it isn't set or anything) a deterrant to rival fans, or does it bring us something else? Say 30 fans sign up, that'd be over a grand to TJ. Now, for the work he does, him making some money each year for his time seems fair.

I understand if you make it 10 bucks to sign up, that isn't exactly something that will deter the trolls. If they get banned, they haven't lost much. Make it $35 however, and not many people are gonna pay it to merely join, talk some **** and then be banned.

So I guess, is the fee to deter trolls and keep it for "Fans Only" or will some of the fee be ploughed back into the site?

Maybe I'm a :dummy:, but I was just wondering.

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
My thought???? Can anybody lend me 5 bucks????

jk

But seriously though, I think those who pay would stop visiting this site right here and we'd have a very very sucky forum.

While I can't speak for any poster besides myself, there's no way I'd abandon the current forum even if I had access to the "premium" one as well. There would be interesting material on both, imho.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
I know one thing that has really bothered some posters on this board is the intrusive ad placement. The idea of charging money not to have ads in the middle of the page is analogous to paying some company who infected you with adware for their removal program. Its a somewhat extortive method of doing business.

I want to address this, because I don't think enough people realize how much I *didn't* want to go there, or appreciate the fact for how long I actually managed to pull it off without going there in the first place. I agonized over that decision for a long time, and when it came right down to it, it became a matter of necessity. Again, I hate asking for donations. It makes me feel like a beggar, and given the amount of time/money that goes into this place, I feel like it's unfair to myself to feel like that just to keep things rolling. The current cost to run this place on the server that we have now is about $500 every six months (http://www.ipower.com/dedicated.html). That's a lot of damn begging to cover the cost. As it turns out, the banner ad placement currently comes in just under this amount, leaving no room for growth, but we're at least able to make it. Before I moved the ads to this position, we simply weren't cutting it. You can see from the link above that the server that I want to move us to will cost us approximately $129 per month ($1500 per year). Doing the math, I would need 50 people to cover the expense of the new server each year. That's a pretty high mark, but I figure we could do it.

We went for three full years at this place before I so much as put a banner ad on a single page. I didn't want to do it, but felt that I had to out of necessity. This place just keeps growing and growing, and bandwidth doesn't come free. But the bottom line for me is that this community is one of the most important things in my life to me. It's been a refuge for me in times of trouble and heartbreak. It's been a friend when I've felt alone. It's also been a thorn in my side at times too. I take the good along with the bad, just like I do with any friend. I don't think people realize some of the sacrifices I've made over the years for this place. And I'm not saying this to make anyone feel sorry for me. I just want the benefit of a doubt. I've gotten a track record here that I think is worthy of that. Some might disagree. I guess I can't please everybody (no matter how hard I try or how badly I want to), but what some see as extortion, I see as a door stop in place to keep the doors open.

Dagmar
12-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I want to address this, because I don't think enough people realize how much I *didn't* want to go there, or appreciate the fact for how long I actually managed to pull it off without going there in the first place. I agonized over that decision for a long time, and when it came right down to it, it became a matter of necessity. Again, I hate asking for donations. It makes me feel like a beggar, and given the amount of time/money that goes into this place, I feel like it's unfair to myself to feel like that just to keep things rolling. The current cost to run this place on the server that we have now is about $500 every six months (http://www.ipower.com/dedicated.html). That's a lot of damn begging to cover the cost. As it turns out, the banner ad placement currently comes in just under this amount, leaving no room for growth, but we're at least able to make it. Before I moved the ads to this position, we simply weren't cutting it. You can see from the link above that the server that I want to move us to will cost us approximately $129 per month ($1500 per year). Doing the math, I would need 50 people to cover the expense of the new server each year. That's a pretty high mark, but I figure we could do it.

We went for three full years at this place before I so much as put a banner ad on a single page. I didn't want to do it, but felt that I had to out of necessity. This place just keeps growing and growing, and bandwidth doesn't come free. But the bottom line for me is that this community is one of the most important things in my life to me. It's been a refuge for me in times of trouble and heartbreak. It's been a friend when I've felt alone. It's also been a thorn in my side at times too. I take the good along with the bad, just like I do with any friend. I don't think people realize some of the sacrifices I've made over the years for this place. And I'm not saying this to make anyone feel sorry for me. I just want the benefit of a doubt. I've gotten a track record here that I think is worthy of that. Some might disagree. I guess I can't please everybody (no matter how hard I try or how badly I want to), but what some see as extortion, I see as a door stop in place to keep the doors open.

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

SoCalBronco
12-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree with Slappy on the premium vs. regular board issue, but I have no problem with just paying a yearly fee to help maintain the board. Its the right thing to do. Taco has put this on his back for several years and we have benefitted greatly from it. 35 dollars per year is a small price to pay for the enjoyment I get from this forum. I dont have a problem at all with that. Its very fair.

watermock
12-18-2005, 02:31 PM
One comment...I think we can carry some slackers...I don't know how, but I don't like exclusion...just a thought...the big boys can carry the board if asked...

CUBuffman08
12-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I dont really like the idea, but I'd probably pay it since i cant get enough of this site.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Here's a scenario based on a hypothetical situation...

Imagine we have a really great poster with some keen insight and some great takes posting here. Now imagine that even with his great takes, his posts start getting more and more lost in the sea of new posters and even rival fans. Now imgine that same great poster starts posting in the forum less and less because he/she gets tired of constantly have to defend his position from clueless rival fans who just want to tear down his positions because they may be bad for their own team, and more of his/her time is spent defending his position from rival fans than actually discussing it with Broncos fans. Now imagine that this posters great posts start to deterioriate due to all the time and energy he spends mixing it up with the rival fans, which is something he/she hates to do anyway, and the poster just wishes that there was a place to post their takes without having to worry about non-fans gumming up the works.

I think there are quite a few posters here who would like to get out of the amazingly fast thought stream that exists here on the main forum, and go to a place where things are a little more slowed down. I think they are a minority, but a valuable one. I think there are more who would like to play in both "streams" to their fullest extent. The problem is, either way, the people in the main forum are losing the valuable insight of this hypothetical person in this hypothetical situation.

terry251973
12-18-2005, 02:50 PM
and who gets this money?:poke:

Taco John
12-18-2005, 02:52 PM
and who gets this money?:poke:

I figured I'd give it to you since you're paying our server costs and putting so much work into keeping this place maintained.

terry251973
12-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I figured I'd give it to you.
great idea since im the most loyal bronco fan.:laugh:

RhymesayersDU
12-18-2005, 02:54 PM
great idea since im an idiot.

Fixed your post for you.

terry251973
12-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Fixed your post for you.
everybody hates honesty.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 02:58 PM
everybody hates honesty.

I don't think that's true. I think what people hate is a newbie who just registered a month ago coming in and asking questions that have already been answered in some detail already in this thread.

-Slap-
12-18-2005, 02:59 PM

Imagine we have a really great poster with some keen insight and some great takes posting here. Now imagine that even with his great takes, his posts start getting more and more lost in the sea of new posters and even rival fans. Now imgine that same great poster starts posting in the forum less and less because he/she gets tired of constantly have to defend his position from clueless rival fans who just want to tear down his positions because they may be bad for their own team, and more of his/her time is spent defending his position from rival fans than actually discussing it with Broncos fans. Now imagine that this posters great posts start to deterioriate due to all the time and energy he spends mixing it up with the rival fans, which is something he/she hates to do anyway, and the poster just wishes that there was a place to post their takes without having to worry about non-fans gumming up the works.

I think there are quite a few posters here who would like to get out of the amazingly fast thought stream that exists here on the main forum, and go to a place where things are a little more slowed down. I think they are a minority, but a valuable one. I think there are more who would like to play in both "streams" to their fullest extent. The problem is, either way, the people in the main forum are losing the valuable insight of this hypothetical person in this hypothetical situation.
That's a very good point. Its unfortunate that less confrontational posters decide that the arguing isn't worth their time. This separate board might be place where those people are more comfortable, and, of course, they always retain the option of checking the free board, too.

Hopefully people won't feel that their insights are so keen that its necessary to copy and paste their every pearl of wisdom onto each board, to ensure everyone is properly edified.

I guess my only concern would be that the pay board would have demonstrably more amenties than the free board, except the obvious benefit of a troll-free 100% pro-Bronco environment.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I guess my only concern would be that the pay board would have more demonstrably more amenties than the free board, except the obvious benefit of a troll-free 100% pro-Bronco environment.

As far as amenities go, I would want both boards to have equal amenities aside from the ads. I figure everyone should have to help carry the load in one way or another. But I don't want to make this a "premium members have animated smilies, non-premium members have stick figures" kind of deal...

Now... If in the future I managed to do something like swing a chat with a player or something of this nature, we might consider doing something where the premium members get the most involvement, given they would be the heart of the community.

And to be sure, I want to make it clear that I'm not going to be in the business of making the premium forum 100% pro-Bronco. What I mean by that is that if a premium member decides that he doesn't like the direction the team is going, he's not going to be censored his opinion should he post it in the premium forum. But he'll damn well be a Broncos fan giving the negative opinion.

watermock
12-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I got the solution...

A Troll Fee...it would be like a Toll Fee but even simpler...

-Slap-
12-18-2005, 03:10 PM
As far as amenities go, I would want both boards to have equal amenities. I don't want to make this a "premium members have animated smilies, non-premium members have stick figures" kind of deal...

Now... If in the future I managed to do something like swing a chat with a player or something of this nature, we might consider doing something where the premium members get the most involvement, given they would be the heart of the community.

And to be sure, I want to make it clear that I'm not going to be in the business of making the premium forum 100% pro-Bronco. What I mean by that is that if a premium member decides that he doesn't like the direction the team is going, he's not going to be censored his opinion should he post it in the premium forum. But he'll damn well be a Broncos fan giving the negative opinion.

Thanks for the clarifications. Its wasn't my intention to insinuate the content of the premium board would be censored or directed in any way. That thought never entered my mind, although, my comments might appear to contradict that.

terry251973
12-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I figured I'd give it to you since you're paying our server costs and putting so much work into keeping this place maintained.
sorry taco.all that appeared on my screen was thought id give it to u.the thing bout paying server costs wasnt on my screen.dont know why.if you are the one paying the server costs then yes i would say thats fair if everyone supported you in the costs.

24champ
12-18-2005, 03:28 PM
I understand where Taco is coming from, I look forward to Wabbit's post and I havent seen him post on here in a long time and when he is on here he is drowned out by chef fans. It is a good idea is to raise money taco and at the same time give something back by having good posters report on things like say the upcoming draft, or even Kaylore's training camp specials. Stuff like that i would have no problem paying for.

bronco610
12-18-2005, 03:45 PM
My only problem is Im a newbie, I dont just make post after post because I dont want to be someone just posting for numbers. With that said Im willing to kick in $35.00 to help with costs. My wife is on a board that is mostly for horse racing people and every once in a while they kick in to help with the fin.
Love the idea of bronco fans only.

ZachKC
12-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I understand where Taco is coming from, I look forward to Wabbit's post and I havent seen him post on here in a long time and when he is on here he is drowned out by chef fans. It is a good idea is to raise money taco and at the same time give something back by having good posters report on things like say the upcoming draft, or even Kaylore's training camp specials. Stuff like that i would have no problem paying for.
Heh, 24chambailey puts his foot down and stands up for quality posting!

Ha!

FADERPROOF
12-18-2005, 04:10 PM

Then people should stop being broke asses and muster up the massive 5 dollars a month to be "inside."

Moon§hiner
12-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I voted that I "might" be interested...it's not about money, not about wanting other fans opinions or comments...I just see the maturity level dipping to an all time low and I'll probably continue to read and allow others to open their mouths before they engage their brain.

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Then people should stop being broke asses and muster up the massive 5 dollars a month to be "inside."

Five bucks isn't all that much... it's less than 20 cents a day.

FADERPROOF
12-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Five bucks isn't all that much... it's less than 20 cents a day.

I know, I just felt like calling people broke asses :)

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I know, I just felt like calling people broke asses :)

:P :giggle: Ha!

Orange_Beard
12-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I like it the way it is, FUN to bust on the trolls.
I would be willing to pay, if it would make the board better.
QU: What if some of the non-Bronco fans would pay, would you like them.
What if people critize the broncos? will you kick them for being "non-fans"?
Seems to me this would be an administrative nightmare.

Pick Six
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I know it's irritating to have trolls register just to rub in a loss. That's the nature of the internet and a message board, though. You'll have that everywhere. I don't want to exclude anybody. If they are truly deserving of getting the axe, then axe them. TJ, you mentioned that a high-end server is what we need to handle the traffic. That's fine. I don't mind paying for a high-end server. I just hate the idea of a "Broncos fan only" forum for reasons Slap and others have stated. Sometimes, it's more entertaining to watch a rival fan getting an internet beatdown.:thumbs:

Rascal
12-18-2005, 05:32 PM
I will never pay for a message board.

Rascal
12-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Well maybe I would but no way for a bronco only board. Slap pretty much summed up my thoughts well.

If you want to have people donate money to get rid of the ads fine, but to make it a broncos only forum is not a good idea.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Again, i want to reiterate that this forum would remain open to everybody, Broncos fans, and non-Broncos fans alike. The other forum would a an oasis of sorts AWAY from the mainstream. I don't anticipate that this forum would slow down much at all. This place keeps growing and growing and growing. Looking at other forums who have gone in a similar direction, I see that the community in the main forum remains very active and very much alive and relevant. The premium forums get used as well, but as more of a dialed down, slowed down, more slow and thoughtful space. Less battles of opinion and more discussion of them.

And I think maybe we could allow non-Broncos fans in the forum on the basis that it is a smack free zone. I'd hate to exclude members like PatsWin from anything we do in this community, as he's become such a valued member. I still need to consider this more thouroughly. Maybe we vote on a handful of fans each season who are given posting access on this forum, rather than just reading access... We can cross that bridge when the time comes.

I really appreciate the feed back I'm getting on this, and look forward to receiving more. I want to put emphasis that what I'm trying to do here is to ADD to the community of this place, and not just make a buck here. Someday I would like to turn the front page area into a money-maker of sorts so that we can have our own content and paid writers. Any excess money that is generated through this will go towards that vision. I see myself working on this site for the rest of my life with big periods of growth some years, and maybe not much other years.

But the bottom line is that whatever I do here, I'm trying to add to the heart of community here, and not split it up, and not take away from it. Based on the feedback I've gotten on the board, and through the rep system, and through PMs, it seems like there is a general feeling that people get this and understand that it's an idea who's time may have come. I want to gather more feedback through the New Year and really think this thing through.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Nuggets4
12-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Hopefully people won't feel that their insights are so keen that its necessary to copy and paste their every pearl of wisdom onto each board, to ensure everyone is properly edified.

This is a very good point. Mock would have 90,000+ posts. And that's about 100K too many.

REB
12-18-2005, 06:21 PM
I voted yes because this board would remain as well.

Slap makes some good pts. and I as well wouldn't want to be part of some "elitist" circle jerk board where everyone basically agrees that the Broncos rule and it ends up being a I'll kiss yours if you'll kiss mine kind of club. Hopefully it wouldn't end up like that.

But I think I understand where TJ wants to go with this and I'm more then happy to contribute and help out the community. I hope that other's who are able to and use this forum frequently would send TJ a little donation as a Christmas gift and a thank you for all the time and money that he spends running this site. He doesn't like to ask but, I don't have a problem asking some of you cheap bastages to pony up... ;)

Merry Christmas and 1-2-3-:Broncos:!!!!!!! :charge:

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 06:30 PM
When the ads first showed up, Alec, i think, showed us all who were about that day how to get rid of them. I don't get them anymore, I just don't remember how I did it... So you shouldn't have to pay when it can be done for nowt.
Actually, you can thank beerslug for that bit of wisdom. Yes, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and again and Beerslug found a helluva acorn.

I still have to see them at work though since Im not allowed to use firefox (which is stupid considering the amount of growht on the internet it has sustained).

Rock Chalk
12-18-2005, 06:33 PM
I do understand those that are against this. There was a time when I was against this sort of thing too. Not against people doing it, just against me paying for a message board when there are so many free ones out there.

However, as a long time member of the board, and one who has never donated a single dime to the place, I don't really mind. I mean, I paid 50 bucks to play XBox live for about a month and a half (I had the subscription for a year though). 50 bucks! I can pay 35 for something I use daily 365 days of the year.

OrangeShadow
12-18-2005, 06:33 PM
id say yes but i feel the regular board would suffer badly.

TheManeMan
12-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Very interesting idea TJ...Just let me know where and when we should feed the money to paypal...You've created a Bronco community for fans online, that is more than a home for all of us, and any membership fee to have access to things as you mentioned (ad free, troll free, insider like info...etc) would only be right IMO...This community is getting bigger and bigger daily, and thus making it harder to maintain im sure...Paying any kind of membership fee to help make the site a better/faster experience for us is essential to keep this place from going in a different direction than what you see in your vision...Again...once you decide what to do, I'm down to pay whateverz...I feel its the right thing to do...

mattleecrew
12-18-2005, 06:58 PM
All this talk about has boiled down to one argument. The majority of us dont seem to mind paying a little to keep this site going but dont want to see much change about it. It keeps growing everyday and the responsibility on Taco's shoulders (and pockets) keeps getting heavier.
So for the good of the board and in spirit of the holidays why dont we wander over to the announcements and feedback section and give Taco a nice Christmas present in the form of some solid donations to start off next year with. Most of us are out getting presents for family or friends, so whats a few more bucks for the board that keeps you sane in the offseason and informed during the week leading up to gametime. Cheers.

TUG
12-18-2005, 07:50 PM
I am one of those guys that never post but I am here everyday getting all the Bronco news I need. I would be willing to pay $35 to continue to have the opportunity to keep visiting this site, and I hope post count wouldn't limit my ability to access a premium board. It does seem that you don't see as many posts by guys like wabbit and if a premium forum would give posters like that a better opportunity to be heard I would be all for it.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 08:15 PM
I am one of those guys that never post but I am here everyday getting all the Bronco news I need. I would be willing to pay $35 to continue to have the opportunity to keep visiting this site, and I hope post count wouldn't limit my ability to access a premium board. It does seem that you don't see as many posts by guys like wabbit and if a premium forum would give posters like that a better opportunity to be heard I would be all for it.

I think that post count idea might have been a bad one. I just threw it out there, and I'll be the first to admit that not every idea I come up with is a great one. I think whoever said that the fact that the person would pay at all shows a commitment, and thus should be granted access...

Sassy
12-18-2005, 08:31 PM
I don't mind the donations thing...but I like the board like it is...and the ads aren't a big deal...I actually think "most" of the rival fans are fun...what good is a sports board if you can't have arguments from opposing fans about the games from week to week.

I also think it would take away from the "community" feeling of this board to have it split up into those that are willing to pay and those that aren't...you may just lose a lot of members to another board.

Pezman
12-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Ok, is anyone familiar with EZ supporters? We could always run something like that without really too much effort.

I'd think that some sort of recognition to the premiere posters like a little insignia or cool graphic next to their avatar would be awesome to try. Hell, we've got the Photoshop forum up and running smooth. I bet we could cook something up really unique that premium subscribers would love to have next to their avatar. I personally think its a great way to reward people who are spending their money on keeping the site up and running :)

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 08:44 PM
All this talk about has boiled down to one argument. The majority of us dont seem to mind paying a little to keep this site going but dont want to see much change about it. It keeps growing everyday and the responsibility on Taco's shoulders (and pockets) keeps getting heavier.
So for the good of the board and in spirit of the holidays why dont we wander over to the announcements and feedback section and give Taco a nice Christmas present in the form of some solid donations to start off next year with. Most of us are out getting presents for family or friends, so whats a few more bucks for the board that keeps you sane in the offseason and informed during the week leading up to gametime. Cheers.

The thing is... TJ wants to upgrade the server so that it can accommodate the increased gameday traffic that has overwhelmed the current server (and resulted in downtime), but this means a commitment on his part for a significant increase in the costs of maintaining the Mane. As much as occasional contributions would help, what's really needed is a guarantee that enough of us will pony up each and every month to defray the added expense.

REB
12-18-2005, 10:03 PM
I like the once a year option. Makes it easy. Either at Christmas or New Years or for those who get a nice refund every year just transfer 35.00 or whatever to ol' TJ and your good for another year. And a lot of peeps could just right it off their taxes as a business expense since they post all day at work.... ;)

Natedogg
12-18-2005, 10:13 PM
The thing is... TJ wants to upgrade the server so that it can accommodate the increased gameday traffic that has overwhelmed the current server (and resulted in downtime), but this means a commitment on his part for a significant increase in the costs of maintaining the Mane. As much as occasional contributions would help, what's really needed is a guarantee that enough of us will pony up each and every month to defray the added expense.

Hmmm... This is the point I seem to have been missing. I'm a relatively new poster who does a lot of lurking. I try and let the insighful posters make their point (they can do it better than me) and maybe someday down the road I'll be able to watch a game and do a breakdown as great as lots of the ones I read here.

I voted against having a separate forum and agree prettymuch completely with Slap's post.

Although I'm a pretty cheap "internet person" in general, (read: there is no way in hell I'll ever get a song from itunes) I definately agree with most of the people on this post that chipping in for bandwith costs is the right thing to do. What Blueflame pointed out is that the key word is guarenteed contribution. I for one would pay $35 yearly for the good of the Mane.

That said, I definately do not like the idea of a "premium forum." The idea of swithing between a forum of "good football insight" and a forum of "good football banter" just doesnt sound good to me. I like it how it is now, all in the same place.

That said, I understand taco's concern about some of the best posters being drowned out by noobs and trolls. Personally I dont usually have this problem, but can envision it getting worse... Just think of the chaos if every broncos fan with an internet connection posted here. Definately do not have a solution for that one, though.

One last suggestion: Maybe if every maner that donated/subsrcibed got a small insignia next to his avatar? It might be a subtle way of paying the bills.

In conclusion, I ******* love this site and spend hours upon hours on it. I hope it doesnt change too much from its current form but realize it might have to.

watermock
12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=14104&stc=1&d=1134968595

Where do you go with this?

I don't think that's Santa....that's cousin Larry..where did you get that?

If Taco has to charge .25 cents then it ok with me...

Atlas
12-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Good points Slap. I'm not looking for a homer board, but it would be nice to be ad-free and troll free especially during Chief weeks when this board is damn near unreadable. I'd also like to be able to access the board at the end of games. I'd be willing to pony up for some of these solutions but I'm not looking to get "elitist".

With the Bronco fans on this board you have very few "homers" Most of the Bronco fans here are rather analytical and there are some down right pessimists. I for one would fork out $$$ to go somewhere in the forum where there isn't a thread started by some chef troll{pick one} that has really no basis besides saying the Broncos suck.

I also believe that some of the people that vote now would later subscribe to such a service because of how popular it would be.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 10:29 PM
That said, I definately do not like the idea of a "premium forum." The idea of swithing between a forum of "good football insight" and a forum of "good football banter" just doesnt sound good to me. I like it how it is now, all in the same place.

THis right here is really my priority with this idea... To be honest, when it comes down to it, I'll dig into my own pocket if I have to in order to keep the server running... But this idea hit me late last night (check the time I made the original post to get an idea of my sleeping habits), and it struck me as a way to kill a few ratbirds with one stone. Moving to a higher end server is another priority I have, though not as an immediate one (I figure we can coast through the season on this server).

The Broncos fan site of the month, coupled with the visibility we're getting through efforts like Meck's bus, Internet word of mouth, and weekly games where rival sites link to us has this site growing steadily at a decent rate. My concern for the community drowning itself out stems from some stories I've heard of some of the larger sites where a critical mass was reached, and there was no outlet for the community to find its own bearings and the result is a splintering of that community. Splintering is always going to happen, the Internet is a big place. But I'd like to do what I can to provide an outlet for those who love the site, what it's about, but are concerned about the degredation of quality due to the massive influx of posters we get at certain times a year. Especially now that we're headed to the playoffs with the best team we've ever had since the Mane started. I said before in this thread I'm a big picture guy, and one thing that frightens me for the community is "what if" we win the Superbowl? It would be great but I promise you this forum will get a FLOOD of new posters.

This main forum has reached a critical mass, and there will always be people here to talk football. The machine that we have in place just through our efforts with Google ensures that we'll always have a steady influx of new users being introduced to the Mane. I often hear the criticism that sometimes quality is more important than quantity, and I see this premium forum idea as a way to have our cake and eat it too.

Taco John
12-18-2005, 10:30 PM
With the Bronco fans on this board you have very few "homers" Most of the Bronco fans here are rather analytical and there are some down right pessimists. I for one would fork out $$$ to go somewhere in the forum where there isn't a thread started by some chef troll{pick one} that has really no basis besides saying the Broncos suck.

...and I would bet you would continue to use this forum just as much as the other. Wouldn't you think?

watermock
12-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Do what yoiu have to do.

we can probably carry the sleckers, but I don't like seperating the forums...

unless LABF is terminated.

I think an occasinal fundraider might do it...you just have not ever set it up.

Blueflame
12-18-2005, 10:47 PM
...and I would bet you would continue to use this forum just as much as the other. Wouldn't you think?

I'm thinking most would... and for those who opted to stick with the status quo, it would surprise me if they even noticed a change other than an occasional 'inside joke" or reference to conversations on the premium board.

Atlas
12-18-2005, 10:56 PM

I wouldn't think there would be a whole bunch of threads going on in the membership forum. People would go there to get away from the trolls and talk football. I mean Bob has started 500 threads here at the mane!!

I also think that added benifits could be given to members like a free ride on Mecks bus...... well, maybe Wabbit could write a weekly article that only a member could get.

Me personally I just want to talk Bronco football. Some of these threads are pretty redicules and when certain posters are there it's hard to weed through them. A lot of the time it's not even about the troll poster. It's about all the Bronco fans calling this guy out. People just looking for a fight.

I would pay to get out of this and like I said alot of people that say no now would eventually get it just because of what they are missing.

I know Tshirts aren't a big $$ maker but if you sold them for $15 to only paying members of the forum maybe that would be an incentive for people to sign up. Membership does have it's benefits you know.

PatsWin2002
12-19-2005, 12:14 AM
I just read through all 5 pages of this thread - interesting stuff.

I voted "maybe" because I'm in a very small minority ......a regular poster that is not a divisional rival.

There's no easy solution for TJ's main point of "dilution of the best stuff" versus all of the exclusion-based reasons.

No matter how this shakes out, I'm willing to help TJ. Hell, I'm on here enough. :)

Taco John
12-19-2005, 12:33 AM
How's a minority of one, for ya?

Bronco LB 59
12-19-2005, 12:41 AM
I voted "I might be interested I guess....."

I would pay $100-200 annually for access to a Broncos site that had Q and A chats with Broncos players, coaches, scouts, executives and beat writers.

24champ
12-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Why dont we have a huge raffle for an autographed jersey or something else and whatever money we get goes to Taco's new server? Just throwing out an idea.....

ludo21
12-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Wow, thats a mouthful after reading all 5 pages. After reading all these, its a win win situation. Pay TJ, help the site, and go to a private section where you can see nothing but rational posts and threads about Broncos football. Not the Chiefs. or the trolls that lurk, but broncos talk!

But, my original question still stands, what is the price?? To little a price the "premium" forum will be flooded anway, too much of a price and it will be a little click of fans. So where is the medium? Seems to me that most people will pay the price, so whats the point if it will just flood the other forum anyway?

Blueflame
12-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Wow, thats a mouthful after reading all 5 pages. After reading all these, its a win win situation. Pay TJ, help the site, and go to a private section where you can see nothing but rational posts and threads about Broncos football. Not the Chiefs. or the trolls that lurk, but broncos talk!

But, my original question still stands, what is the price?? To little a price the "premium" forum will be flooded anway, too much of a price and it will be a little click of fans. So where is the medium? Seems to me that most people will pay the price, so whats the point if it will just flood the other forum anyway?

The proposed price is $35 a year (best value) or $5 a month... which would average out to something like seventeen cents per day....

ludo21
12-19-2005, 01:08 AM
The proposed price is $35 a year (best value) or $5 a month... which would average out to something like seventeen cents per day....

i would pay the price, and i assum a ton of others would as well, but my point is, wouldnt that just make the traffic the same, or is their a way to limit the membership?

Taco John
12-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Why dont we have a huge raffle for an autographed jersey or something else and whatever money we get goes to Taco's new server? Just throwing out an idea.....

Like I say... The money isn't the issue so much as the community. It's a great idea, but I want to make certain that we've got our community issues squared away so that site growth doesn't splinter us and we end up with people feeling like this place is all about the numbers. It's not. I've done this since 2001, and for the first few years I did it straight out of my own pocketbook without asking for donations or putting a single ad on the site. I want to do what we can to preserve this community feel and give our members a place where they don't just feel lost in the fog that can sometimes develop.

For sure the money *is* an issue as we have server costs to cover. But it's not the driving force here, as we have a server, even if it's not the high end server, and we're able to make our payments.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Wanna have some fun... Surf around here and see where we've come from :
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.orangemane.com

24champ
12-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Wanna have some fun... Surf around here and see where we've come from :
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.orangemane.com
Checked that out and you did come a long ways.

Blueflame
12-19-2005, 01:54 AM
i would pay the price, and i assum a ton of others would as well, but my point is, wouldnt that just make the traffic the same, or is their a way to limit the membership?

If the poll indicates that enough OMers are willing to commit to the premium service, that would make TJ's decision on the server upgrade a lot easier, I suspect... and an upgraded server = better access to the Mane, regardless of traffic volume....

BroncoBuff
12-19-2005, 08:03 AM
My long term vision of this site is to have our own exclusive reporting staff (brought up through our own ranks). I'd even our own photographer on the sidelines during home games (also brought up through our own ranks). Currently, the only way to do that is to sell out to a network site with press access , as the Broncos wont grant online sites press credentials. I've tried to get credentials. They practically laughed in my face.

I don't want to get too carried away. I just want to address the issue of making certain the core of this community is kept in tact while keeping a steady stream of revenue coming in to address server growth.

I have a few ideas . . . hey, don't laugh!

What kind of revenue stream do you think a premium area/board would create? It doesn't seem to me as if there are enough regular posters now to establish too serious a revenue base, but if you've crunched the numbers, you must have estimates. It's pretty seasonal, too - any subscription estimates should take into account the inevitable off-season de-enrollees. Maybe you could beef up the CU Buffs area, or a Nuggets or Rockies area...

I don't know about your particular server, but I do know that online storage costs have been falling through the floor for some time now.

The SIZE of your site is of monumental importance. Not just enrolled users, but TRAFFIC logs! And more than raw traffic, how STICKY are the visitors? (i'm thinking you'll get excellent points there).

How many other of these types of Broncos sites/boards are there? Have you approached any re: aquisition or merger? SIZE MATTERS - the bigger, the better. Find a weakling or two, and fold them into the Mane. When you have SIZE, and STICKY TRAFFIC, you can sell ads - not just pay-per-click - REAL ads. Try Denver Post, RMN, ticket brokers, Gart Brothers, Big 5 - I'll bet you'd be surprised how receptive they are. Not big bucks, of course, but something.

And online sports memorabilia/jersey sites! You can post sites and ideas for guys. Informative stuff. Maybe a sticky thread for just this. Guys are always talking "where can I get this?" etc... You can make it funny as well as informative. For example, somebody was once asking where to get custom cloth name strips for the backs of jerseys (he had a Portis and wanted a Bell, I think) ... anyway, find that place, and then link to the $39.99 Maurice Clarett authentic game jerseys (reg. $200.) And ask everybody on OM that, whenever they're ready to buy anything, to click over FROM HERE. Once you establish a flow to those sites, they'll offer "OrangeMane discounts". I know the Broncos are scheduled to play Seattle next year . . . and if the game's up here, I'm definitely gonna buy Lepsis or Pryce or somebody's jersey to wear to the game. Guys are always talking on this site about what they're buying - shirts, jerseys, etc... that's where the gold is .

As far as becoming a news outlet, don't let a denial of Invesco-access stop you. I'm pretty sure Sacco would at least set up an interview or two for you - even THIS WEEK! Then maybe - if and when you can boast SIZE - you could perhaps get access to Dove Valley for next summer's camp. That's where you start. Invesco comes later. And you have "built-in correespondents" all over the board . . . for example, the week of the Giants game, there was a guy from Australia who posted about 2 dozen INCREDIBLE photos from his cross-country American football tour . . . East Rutherford, Invesco, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Austin, and many more. Now THAT was a story! I told him to call ESPN or somebody, but he was already back home down under.

The interviews you get this week - or next summer, whenever, you'd need LOTS more space to host the MP3 audio files, (which raises storage questions again, but,) you could have preview threads for the weekly interviews: "Submit questions for this week's OM interview with Dominique Foxworth." Then whomever went out there for the interview (phone would work, but in-person's better) could say, e.g., "Pezman wants to know what it's like to play in the NFL with your college teammate Curome Cox?"

The full interview could be posted on the Main Page, of course, but individual threads - linking to clips - could be posted: "Foxworth tells Pezman about the Broncos-Terrapins DB connection". That would create some interest and lots of crosstalk - and that would fuel others to submit q's for Nate Jackson next week, etc... etc...

I'm certainly not dropping names, and he wouldn't do anything FOR me, but I know Sacco would take my call, and would at least give a roadmap or outline of what you'd have to do for what kind of access, etc... where to begin, what he would expect to see from an "online" to consider granting a training camp credential.

(You asked for ideas ! ! ! )

BroncoBuff
12-19-2005, 08:05 AM
One more thing - if you become a news outlet, make sure you keep up - religiously. You'll drive away visitors who firts trust you, but then find they can't rely on you to be up-to-date (e.g. - the current main page? I'm just sayin, is all . . .)

oklahomabroncofan
12-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Great Idea TJ. I have lurked here for years. I do not have the time to post. I use the site for good Bronco info. I have noticed recently many of the knowledgable posters are not posting as much. When they do it seems to get lost between all of the smack talk. I would pay just to be able to read the good thoughts and ideas of others. Hell I might even post once or twice a week. I would also like the idea of possibly setting free one week passes to the sight where rival fans could post good comments (non-smack related) about there teams and even answere questions about their team. Let me give an example I would have like to know before the Buffalo game and I saw it on ESPN that Holcomb actually had a decent record this year when he has started. Just my thoughts ignore them if you want to.

Alkazar
12-19-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm not really interested but not for the reason in the poll. I happen to like hearing opinions from fans of other teams and sometimes the smack is funny. I'd prefer to keep boards open to everyone.

Meck77
12-19-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm going to wait to vote as I'm still soaking all this in. My first reaction was this. If more people donated to the site Taco would have never even had to consider this option.

I'd ask yourself what is the Omane worth to me and have I done my part.

Plenty of people like to complain about the different options TJ throws out there to generate money but how many of us actually contribute? I really don't know but I do know it's not enough for TJ to come out with a thread like this. TJ is a very humble guy and has busted his balls to keep this place rolling along. I do know that.

ludo21
12-19-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm going to wait to vote as I'm still soaking all this in. My first reaction was this. If more people donated to the site Taco would have never even had to consider this option.

Plenty of people like to complain about the different options TJ throws out there to generate money but how many of us actually contribute? I really don't know but I do know it's not enough for TJ to come out with a thread like this. TJ is a very humble guy and has busted his balls to keep this place rolling along. I do know that.

but why not state it like that then? I know he doesnt wanna beg as this site costs him big time (and boy am i grateful for him) but he clearly stated that he wants a smaller community because this one is running off many vets. He wants a refuge of sorts. But then again, ive never ben good at reading between the lines :)

Taco John
12-19-2005, 10:43 AM
No need to read between the lines here... I'm trying to be open and honest as possible with everything I'm writing...

ludo21
12-19-2005, 10:44 AM
No need to read between the lines here... I'm trying to be open and honest as possible with everything I'm writing...

alrighty, good then ;D

At first like i said, the idea was odd, but now after stewing it over having a seperate (smaller) community would be very nice.:Broncos:

Meck77
12-19-2005, 10:48 AM
but why not state it like that then? I know he doesnt wanna beg as this site costs him big time (and boy am i grateful for him) but he clearly stated that he wants a smaller community because this one is running off many vets. He wants a refuge of sorts. But then again, ive never ben good at reading between the lines :)

Well I'm not saying this is necessarily the case but think about it. If everyone around here had been donating 35 bucks a year already then there would have been plenty of money around for the server the site etc.

Have you sent in your donation before ludo? If so I apologize for calling you out. If you have then we need more members like you to step up. I don't mean to call you out but you seem to be suggesting that Taco is beating around the bush. I don't think he is. The site needs money to operate that is the bottom line. The site has grown by leaps and bounds in just the last couple years. This takes more server space and most importantly more of Taco's time to handle all the requests that come into Taco from the members I'm sure. Their are hard costs to running a site. I know because I run 3 v-bulletins myself as well as my of1 site. The time those 3 boards burn up for me is alot more in terms of cost to me than the actual hard costs of the site. I'd be willing to bet that Taco would say the same thing.

broncosteven
12-19-2005, 11:02 AM
I have a few ideas . . . hey, don't laugh!

What kind of revenue stream do you think a premium area/board would create? It doesn't seem to me as if there are enough regular posters now to establish too serious a revenue base, but if you've crunched the numbers, you must have estimates. It's pretty seasonal, too - any subscription estimates should take into account the inevitable off-season de-enrollees. Maybe you could beef up the CU Buffs area, or a Nuggets or Rockies area...

I don't know about your particular server, but I do know that online storage costs have been falling through the floor for some time now.

The SIZE of your site is of monumental importance. Not just enrolled users, but TRAFFIC logs! And more than raw traffic, how STICKY are the visitors? (i'm thinking you'll get excellent points there).

How many other of these types of Broncos sites/boards are there? Have you approached any re: aquisition or merger? SIZE MATTERS - the bigger, the better. Find a weakling or two, and fold them into the Mane. When you have SIZE, and STICKY TRAFFIC, you can sell ads - not just pay-per-click - REAL ads. Try Denver Post, RMN, ticket brokers, Gart Brothers, Big 5 - I'll bet you'd be surprised how receptive they are. Not big bucks, of course, but something.

And online sports memorabilia/jersey sites! You can post sites and ideas for guys. Informative stuff. Maybe a sticky thread for just this. Guys are always talking "where can I get this?" etc... You can make it funny as well as informative. For example, somebody was once asking where to get custom cloth name strips for the backs of jerseys (he had a Portis and wanted a Bell, I think) ... anyway, find that place, and then link to the $39.99 Maurice Clarett authentic game jerseys (reg. $200.) And ask everybody on OM that, whenever they're ready to buy anything, to click over FROM HERE. Once you establish a flow to those sites, they'll offer "OrangeMane discounts". I know the Broncos are scheduled to play Seattle next year . . . and if the game's up here, I'm definitely gonna buy Lepsis or Pryce or somebody's jersey to wear to the game. Guys are always talking on this site about what they're buying - shirts, jerseys, etc... that's where the gold is .

As far as becoming a news outlet, don't let a denial of Invesco-access stop you. I'm pretty sure Sacco would at least set up an interview or two for you - even THIS WEEK! Then maybe - if and when you can boast SIZE - you could perhaps get access to Dove Valley for next summer's camp. That's where you start. Invesco comes later. And you have "built-in correespondents" all over the board . . . for example, the week of the Giants game, there was a guy from Australia who posted about 2 dozen INCREDIBLE photos from his cross-country American football tour . . . East Rutherford, Invesco, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Austin, and many more. Now THAT was a story! I told him to call ESPN or somebody, but he was already back home down under.

The interviews you get this week - or next summer, whenever, you'd need LOTS more space to host the MP3 audio files, (which raises storage questions again, but,) you could have preview threads for the weekly interviews: "Submit questions for this week's OM interview with Dominique Foxworth." Then whomever went out there for the interview (phone would work, but in-person's better) could say, e.g., "Pezman wants to know what it's like to play in the NFL with your college teammate Curome Cox?"

The full interview could be posted on the Main Page, of course, but individual threads - linking to clips - could be posted: "Foxworth tells Pezman about the Broncos-Terrapins DB connection". That would create some interest and lots of crosstalk - and that would fuel others to submit q's for Nate Jackson next week, etc... etc...

I'm certainly not dropping names, and he wouldn't do anything FOR me, but I know Sacco would take my call, and would at least give a roadmap or outline of what you'd have to do for what kind of access, etc... where to begin, what he would expect to see from an "online" to consider granting a training camp credential.

(You asked for ideas ! ! ! )

BLah Blah Blah you talk too much BB1 You must be a blonde on a phone all day or something LOL

broncosteven
12-19-2005, 11:22 AM

I think the premium service would help here but the mods would have to watch for trollish behavior.

I signed up in June, bantered with the trolls all off season but when football season rolled around was afraid we would lose the posters I signed up here to get the best info from because of a couple (ok one Currently Banned) bad apple. I started a poll to see if one troll should be banned & it turned out most here enjoyed the troll, I was wrong, I was the new guy I should not have done it I will try not to do that again. I changed my attitude about the trolls & decided not every post needed a response plus it turned out to be fun to pick on them.

I enjoy smack talk to a degree but I do want to get Unmolested Bronco Football info every so often. Exchanges of Your A Moron are not what I would like to pay $35 for.

So a premium service with higher moderated football forum & a separate Smack forum would be nice. I do enjoy sticking it to Chef fans now, I hated Oakland the most before I logged on here, since becoming a member & encountering Chef Trolls I now despise the Chefs more than any other NFL team.

Atlas
12-19-2005, 12:19 PM

What T.J. said was that this wasn't about money it was about offering something more for the posters of this forum. If it was just about money all TJ would have to do is just start a thread and ask for some money.

Sassy
12-19-2005, 12:22 PM
What T.J. said was that this wasn't about money it was about offering something more for the posters of this forum. If it was just about money all TJ would have to do is just start a thread and ask for some money.
No...it is about money...otherwise why would he be asking for the $35 a year...

Taco John
12-19-2005, 12:31 PM

You'd have to read the thread. I've explained this in great detail.

Sassy
12-19-2005, 12:32 PM
You'd have to read the thread. I've explained this in great detail.
I have read the thread.

Atlas
12-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, if he wants the money he should ask. We all understand money issues but I personally think it's a good idea.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 12:33 PM
I have read the thread.

Then I don't understand your criticism. I would like to. I'm a little distressed that your impression is that this is all about the money, even after the efforts I've taken here to detail why it's not all about the money. I'm just hoping to break even on the exchange.

Maybe I'm coming off as disingenuous... I'd like to correct that if so. I figure post #49 should answer a lot of questions on it being "all about the money."

Taco John
12-19-2005, 12:42 PM
If the idea is bunk, the idea is bunk. This isn't set in stone. Some things have been brought to my attention recently about some of the dysfunctions of this site, and I went to brainstorming on a way to solve some of the issues we have. I'm trying to be as open and honest about this as possible, and I thank you for being honest about your feelings as well.

Rock Chalk
12-19-2005, 12:46 PM
For what its worth TJ, Im only willing to shell out money if the forum is Bronco Fans only.

I can get trolls for free.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Since it's not about the money but eliminating non-Bronco fans I still don't like it and my vote is even more of a no.

Atlas
12-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Since it's not about the money but eliminating non-Bronco fans I still don't like it and my vote is even more of a no.

your not eliminating anyone. You'll just have another option if you want it.

Rock Chalk
12-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Good thing your vote only counts once.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 12:52 PM
People want to make this about one thing or another. It's not about any "one" thing. It's about a combination of things, the most imprtant being the longevity of both the community and the site in general.

broncosteven
12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
If the idea is bunk, the idea is bunk. This isn't set in stone. Some things have been brought to my attention recently about some of the dysfunctions of this site, and I went to brainstorming on a way to solve some of the issues we have. I'm trying to be as open and honest about this as possible, and I thank you for being honest about your feelings as well.

It's a good idea, if we want to grow we have to find a way to keep up. i don't know how you do it & still take the comments from the peanut gallery every day.

Do you have a thread that lists all the issues? Not sure everyone knows whats going on day to day. They just log in & want to have their fun. Every one wants their Cake & wants to eat it too. List what issues you have that you want to share with us (the community) & we will work it out. Don't look at asking for $ as Charity, we all have to pitch in to keep this site up, if it is a yearly fee then that is what it takes. Kind a like the clean up song my daughter sings at daycare:
Clean up clean up Everybody Everywhere
Clean up Clean up Everybody DO THEIR SHARE

Pick Six
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Does anybody see the irony of someone who has thousands of posts on Chiefsplanet proposing a forum where only fans of the Broncos could participate? I'm just saying...Ha!

Atlas
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
This site is getting really big and who knows in a couple of years with a better server it might be like Chiefsplanet and too me that isn't a good thing. Having a smaller community inside the big one would be good. IMO

Rock Chalk
12-19-2005, 12:57 PM
You dont have to pay it Sassy.

Feel free to wallow in the Bob infested forums.

If TJ makes this, and its 35 bucks a year and its for Bronco fans only, I will never post in this main forum again.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 12:59 PM
If TJ makes this, and its 35 bucks a year and its for Bronco fans only, I will never post in this main forum again.

I change my vote but I won't pay. Ha!

ludo21
12-19-2005, 01:11 PM

I agree, same here, and after reading the thread, i take back what i said about the new forum being the same traffic wise. If this thread is any indication of what the boards thought is it seems like the new forum membership would be a GREAT idea that would be a great place for football takes and not smack talking trolls

Rascal
12-19-2005, 01:13 PM
So only football takes would be allowed in the new forum? And everybody who doesn't pay doesn't have the same credibility or knowledge?

If you want a forum for non-smack then fine create one in which only known bronco fans can access, but to pay to access it is not a good idea. By doing so you basically create an upper and higher class.

Why don't you do that TJ? Create a forum where only known bronco fans can access?

ludo21
12-19-2005, 01:17 PM
So only football takes would be allowed in the new forum? And everybody who doesn't pay doesn't have the same credibility or knowledge?

If you want a forum for non-smack then fine create one in which only known bronco fans can access, but to pay to access it is not a good idea. By doing so you basically create an upper and higher class.

Why don't you do that TJ? Create a forum where only known bronco fans can access?

good idea, but i think TJ also wants a new server as well

Taco John
12-19-2005, 01:18 PM
I change my vote but I won't pay. Ha!

Exactly. You wouldn't have to. And I wouldn't begrudge you that. Hell, look at Alec. He himself will admit he's never donated a dime to the site. That's perfectly fine with me. I am still great friends with the guy. I'm a little distressed he says he wouldn't post in the main forum any longer, but that's his decision. I suspect that might change after things got into swing, but I'm not going to get in a pissing match with him over it. His decision is his decision. Your decision is your decision.

For people like you who don't want to pay, basically, nothing will change. You'll still have access to this board. It will still remain very active. I expect that a vast minority of people will be willing to pay for the Premium stuff. They'll be the people who tell me that "quantity does not always mean quality." Alec has always been one of those guys saying that to me. Something like this would be right up his alley. Slap, on the other hand, says he might be willing to go along, expecially to get the ads removed, but he wouldn't participate in the premium forum because he likes the diversity of opinion in the main forum.

This community is large enough to support both styles. If we went through with this, my target would be about 40-50 people. That would be enough to upgrade to the larger server over the offseason and still leave enough left over for operational things like updating our liscences for board software (so we still have access to the updates) and chat software and other things that could be used to improve the function of this site... not to mention, maybe some flowers or something for my wife for putting up with me and this crazy thing.

And don't let me try and fool you. I *do* have a long term vision of this site where I hope to offer some neat things. Someone suggested a podcast to me via PMs. This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, but have been waiting for the time to be right. In fact, part of my career job right now includes a podcast proposal for a publisher, in which I'd be the producer of the show. I'd get to learn the ins and outs of how to do it on a professional level on someone elses dime. I've thought about some other stuff that I don't want to share with our competitors in a public setting. But all of that is pipedream stuff right now which will come in due time... Maybe a year from now, maybe 5 years from now.

But most importantly to me right now is the fact that this site has got some deep roots and I want to make certain that they're getting properly watered. There are some legitimate complaints that I receive on a weekly basis from people frustrated about how quick this forum moves sometimes and how posts can get lost in the rival banter. And with everything in life, I apply the 80/20 principle, so I'm guessing I'm only receiving about 20% of the complaints that are out there. I figure there are some people who just suffer in silence, or worse, move on.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
And everybody who doesn't pay doesn't have the same credibility or knowledge?

It would cost a lot more than $35 bucks for you to buy some credibility... Nnyah!

heh... I'm responding to your post. I just had to take the easy kidney shot while it was there... :giggle:

Rascal
12-19-2005, 01:22 PM
It would cost a lot more than $35 bucks for you to buy some credibility... Nnyah!

heh... I'm responding to your post. I just had to take the easy kidney shot while it was there... :giggle:

:gus:

I'll send you my medical bill.

Sideburn
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I've donated before, and I'd gladly do it again. I love this place. And the majority of you. Some I'd rather stab in the eyeball with a spork, but we'll worry about that later. We need to somehow get Patsy and TNS onto the new board though. While I know I could come to the main board to chat with them, I'm going to be an elite asshole and won't.

Rascal
I understand your dilema I just don't think this the route to go.

Pick Six
I need to get to a point where I trust sending money over the Internet (Paypal). As soon as I get over that issue, I'll be donating more money to this site. After all, I save money when I decide to sit down and post on the Mane instead of going out.

Atlas
I know after Sunday's games threads that were on the front page are now on page 3. They are basically lost. In a smaller forum I think it would move much slower.

ludo21
12-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I know after Sunday's games threads that were on the front page are now on page 3. They are basically lost. In a smaller forum I think it would move much slower.

great threads too, just get lost

Pick Six
12-19-2005, 01:30 PM

Yes, you have the trolls. However, it goes both ways. I count multiple threads smacking the Chiefs for another lost season. One way to make it a smaller forum is for people to use the search function before they make a similar thread.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 01:32 PM

The Broncos Only forum would be football takes only. Credibility and knowledge isn't something you can pay for. It's something you either have or you don't.

As far as the "well shoot, just create a new forum" approach, it doesn't solve other problems that we have, the most notable of them being that even after moving to a dedicated forum, we're crashing the server on gamedays. This solution occured to me as a way we could address some community dynamics problems that we face, while also addressing some server dynamics issues that we face. For more on this, please check out post #49 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=34909&page=2).

Atlas
12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Yes, you have the trolls. However, it goes both ways. I count multiple threads smacking the Chiefs for another lost season. One way to make it a smaller forum is for people to use the search function before they make a similar thread.

Yes but people don't want to do that. That is something the Moderators would have to do and basically it wouldn't work.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Looking at these results, there are about 50 people who say they may have some interest at some level in this. Given my experience with dealing with people and money, I estimate that would actually translate to 15-20 members who would make the plunge initially, starting the new forum with a very small core of people. I want to set this expectation early, so that when people arrive they aren't expecting to see such an active forum like we have here. From there, I'm hoping we could grow that forum to about 50 people by the time the season starts. That would be enough to get rolling on the new server. That's about how many we had active when this site first started, so it might be a return to Camelot for some.

Atlas
12-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Looking at these results, there are about 50 people who say they may have some interest at some level in this. Given my experience with dealing with people and money, I estimate that would actually translate to 15-20 members who would make the plunge initially, starting the new forum with a very small core of people. I want to set this expectation early, so that when people arrive they aren't expecting to see such an active forum like we have here. From there, I'm hoping we could grow that forum to about 50 people by the time the season starts. That would be enough to get rolling on the new server. That's about how many we had active when this site first started, so it might be a return to Camelot for some.

You get 20 people signed up right away there will be 40 others that will follow suit no matter how they voted.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Looks like you already made up your mind and just wanted to see if you could get enough people to pay up.

ludo21
12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
You get 20 people signed up right away there will be 40 others that will follow suit no matter how they voted.

i think we could get 20 easy.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Looks like you already made up your mind and just wanted to see if you could get enough people to pay up.

It looks like you're going to bust my balls no matter what I do.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 02:00 PM
It looks like you're going to bust my balls no matter what I do.

:undecided

It depends on the solution.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Well that's what this thread is about... solutions. I've proposed one that I think would address several issues that this site and community currently have. Rather than just implementing it, I came to the community for feedback on it. The feedback on the idea has been more or less positive.

I've received plenty of criticims from you, Rascal, but precious few ideas. How do you propose I implement a plan to budget for server growth while keeping the relative community feel that we have here alive and ticking for years to come despite the leaps and bounds of growth we receive each and every season... and I'm not talking football season... I'm talking Regular season, playoff season, free agency season, draft season, training camp season and pre-season. All are growth seasons for the Mane and have been each and every year since we started.

I appreciate that you don't like the plan I've advanced. I'm more than open to your ideas on how to address these issues.

Mile High Shack
12-19-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm short on cash every month, so while 5 bucks doesn't seem like much, I'd much rather spend 5 bucks on feeding and clothing my daughter..lol

Sideburn
12-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm short on cash every month, so while 5 bucks doesn't seem like much, I'd much rather spend 5 bucks on feeding and clothing my daughter..lol
You are soooo not really a bronco fan

Mile High Shack
12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
You are soooo not really a bronco fan

well that and my 50 membership to porn sites

I mean c'mon

Rascal
12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Well that's what this thread is about... solutions. I've proposed one that I think would address several issues that this site and community currently have. Rather than just implementing it, I came to the community for feedback on it. The feedback on the idea has been more or less positive.

I've received plenty of criticims from you, Rascal, but precious few ideas. How do you propose I implement a plan to budget for server growth while keeping the relative community feel that we have here alive and ticking for years to come despite the leaps and bounds of growth we receive each and every season... and I'm not talking football season... I'm talking Regular season, playoff season, free agency season, draft season, training camp season and pre-season. All are growth seasons for the Mane and have been each and every year since we started.

I appreciate that you don't like the plan I've advanced. I'm more than open to your ideas on how to address these issues.

LOL!!!

Just focus on me...nice.

1) Did you go over BroncoBuff's post and see if any solutions were available there?

2) Have you talked to other MB owners at other sites to see what solutions they might have?

3) Try limiting the action to only registered people on game day?

4) Let people pay for avatar's, sigs, no add's, etc instead of limiting certain forums to paying members (that's actually the part I don't like the most)?

Atlas
12-19-2005, 02:24 PM

I mean c'mon

you only need one. bangbus.com

Sideburn
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM

I mean c'mon
touche'

I see you atleast have your priorities straight.
1)porn
2)family
3)broncos

I'll go sit down in the corner now.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Now there is a solution...have a porn section that only paying members can access. You could probably retire with that solution.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Now there is a solution...have a porn section that only paying members can access. You could probably retire with that solution.

Ha! My wife freaks out about the "Speaking of Butts" thread... I can tell you this, that thread would be about women in parkas if she was moderating it.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Tell her you don't pay for it so you can't access it :)

DBroncos4life
12-19-2005, 02:49 PM
I voted no for a few reasons. As I pointed out in another thread I wouldn't pay to hear people agree or disagree with my opinions. By having a pay site people would expect more..like I know that if I did pay I wouldn't want my Avatar being changed because you can see the out line of a girls boob. Its not a bad idea and Im sure it will work but my feeling of the board is more often then not people won't share the same veiws as you and they will tell you so, and they won't hold back either.

orange 4 life
12-19-2005, 02:57 PM
i personally dont care too much whether or not the rival fans and trolls come out or not (because we can always sift through it), but i most certainly DO care if taco is having a tough go of it keeping things going.

because of that count me in.
if 35.00 a year helps the mane and also adds a spot just just for
we bronco fans, im all in.

taco's done alot for us, so i sure dont think 35.00 a year is alot to ask.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
I voted no for a few reasons. As I pointed out in another thread I wouldn't pay to hear people agree or disagree with my opinions. By having a pay site people would expect more..like I know that if I did pay I wouldn't want my Avatar being changed because you can see the out line of a girls boob. Its not a bad idea and Im sure it will work but my feeling of the board is more often then not people won't share the same veiws as you and they will tell you so, and they won't hold back either.

We would still have the same decency standards that we still have. That wouldn't change.

DBroncos4life
12-19-2005, 03:09 PM
We would still have the same decency standards that we still have. That wouldn't change.

What seening the sides of a boob is ok for some posters but not others? I like this avatar better anyways. I'm done with the issue.

Atlas
12-19-2005, 03:15 PM

you should work for the FCC

broncosteven
12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
you should work for the FCC

Atlas - You should work for Larry Flint!

Ray Finkle
12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
This seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing....I have seen sites run a similar option that have been good and others that just shot themselves in the foot.....

The ones that tanked made the non-subscribers feel like second class citizens, that draws 0 future posters....

35 bucks is not bad but what about doing some kind of raffle for a Broncos item. Each ticket cost 35 bucks and you could do that twice a year....

broncosteven
12-19-2005, 03:28 PM
The bottom line is that I am willing to help out in some way to make this place faster or better. If that is paying a fee right now until I earn someones respect to help pitch in then so be it.

Taco needs to upgrade the services so the ISP does not get overloaded after everygame. we have not even hit the playoffs yet! What happens if we actually beat Indy & can't talk about it for 6 -12 hours until the ISP lest us back in or what ever the agreement is. I don't post anywhere else, this is my home. We have to think long term growth here. A bake sale is not going to get us an upgrade.

Rock Chalk
12-19-2005, 03:42 PM
It's to the point that once I leave the chatroom after the game is over, I dont even bother trying to get to the OM for the rest of the day.

All because of lurkers, rival fans (after a loss) and non-members.

Would help if, on gameday, TJ banned the use of non-members viewing and forgoe registration. Otherwise people will register just to read that day but never actually post anything.

Im all for lurkers who want to read, but what good is it if you cant post and you cant read because of lurkers?

Rascal
12-19-2005, 03:44 PM
That's one of my suggestions as well (banning of non-members on game day).

DBroncos4life
12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Will it fix the problem or do you just hope it will? I would think people would be pissed if they paid and it still wouldn't let them in.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Will it fix the problem or do you just hope it will? I would think people would be pissed if they paid and it still wouldn't let them in.

I don't know but TJ hasn't answered it either.

broncosteven
12-19-2005, 03:54 PM

But we are growing. the member list is getting bigger hence Taco needs more bandwidth to host the services as well as liceses for all the connections. More registered users more resources needed.

Atlas
12-19-2005, 04:49 PM

The lurkers on gameday are potential new members. Of course if they can't access the site the will just go to Broncosfreak or the team page.

Sassy
12-19-2005, 04:58 PM

What I am saying is that I'm not sure much could be improved...I like having the rival fans here...and I'm not complaining about pitching in money for the server fees...ask TJ...I have donated to this site...usually around this time of year. I'm just saying I could see it tearing a great community apart as well...and people that are willing to pay (that are great posters) may just decide to go to another board...and I'm talking about regular members of The Mane...but TJ will do what he has to do as usual.

On the flip side of things...while this is TJ's love/hobby and it's a great one that benefits all Broncofans and brings us together for tailgates...I guess I don't look for people to pay for my hobbies...but if they want to buy what I make that's fine...I think it should be more of a choice without losing ALL the optionsl I'd chip in the money...I just don't want the split forums.

Clockwork Orange
12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm in. Whatever helps keep the lights on around here. :)

orange 4 life
12-19-2005, 05:54 PM
im just surprised more people arent supportive of the idea.

the fact of the matter is that this place has become larger than life, and taco is the wizard of oz behind the curtain.

i think alot of people dont realize how much he does, just like alot of people at the stadium dont realize how hard meck and disco have to work each week to get the tailgate set up.

come on people.
if 35.00 a year helps taco out and gives us a private forum for those times alec mentioned, shouldnt we ALL support the idea?

broncos love
12-19-2005, 05:58 PM
For the short time I have been here I would have to say the best info was the Kaylore training camp reports. More stuff like from diffrent reporters liked Taco said would be well worth $35 dollars to me. I would most definately pay.

Taco John
12-19-2005, 06:18 PM
35 bucks is not bad but what about doing some kind of raffle for a Broncos item. Each ticket cost 35 bucks and you could do that twice a year....

THat's a great idea. I've always wanted to do something like that where the winner would get an authentic personalized jersey.

ZachKC
12-19-2005, 06:27 PM
It's to the point that once I leave the chatroom after the game is over, I dont even bother trying to get to the OM for the rest of the day.

All because of lurkers, rival fans (after a loss) and non-members.

Would help if, on gameday, TJ banned the use of non-members viewing and forgoe registration. Otherwise people will register just to read that day but never actually post anything.

Im all for lurkers who want to read, but what good is it if you cant post and you cant read because of lurkers?
Heh, so you are telling us you can dish it out but not take it?

Rock Chalk
12-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Heh, so you are telling us you can dish it out but not take it?
What the **** are you talking about Zach? What I'm saying is that on GAMEDAY the are so many people here lurking and not actual members that the members cant even friggin post.

Note in post that I did not say ban rival fans from coming on gamedays. I said ban the lurkers on gameday and disable registration for that day so lurkers dont register just to lurk.

It prevents us USERS you know, me, you, the rest of the members, from actually posting.

So what the **** are you talking about moron?

ludo21
12-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Well after rading a couple threads i just saw 5 new people! Can we please make this new premium membership soon. ;D

Taco John
12-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Well after rading a couple threads i just saw 5 new people! Can we please make this new premium membership soon. ;D

To be honest, it probably wouldn't happen until after the season. I don't want it to be a distraction to the Broncos postseason run. This place is a means to an end, and right now, that end is making an "end" run. I just wanted to come to the community with the idea when it came to me. If people were against it, then I was going to toss it out.

PatsWin2002
12-19-2005, 07:37 PM
THat's a great idea. I've always wanted to do something like that where the winner would get an authentic personalized jersey.

Cool! Can you get Richard Seymour? :~ohyah!:

On a serious note, TJ what can you learn from the bigger boards out there like ChiefsPlanet and ExtremeSkins that have already made good/bad decisions on such things?

I just thought of one decent suggestion:

Get the group of OM writers going like you mentioned and have that exclusive content sent out to members as an HTML email WITH ads. That would keep the ads off the site. We just need a radio button in our profile to sign up (or 1 per newsletter). (Don't even bother with text emails - they're ugly.)

People will want the original content and will deal with the ads. You'd build the member base because they'd be free, but the free membership would be required to get the email.

That'd be great for the folks that forget to go look at the home page every now and then (I'm guilty!).

Maybe later down the road you could post, say, the first 2 paragraphs of an original piece with a link to log in or register to read the rest.

Does that idea totally suck?

I wish I had an answer for your "dilution problem" on the main forum....that's a toughie.

Dagmar
12-19-2005, 08:01 PM
To be honest, it probably wouldn't happen until after the season. I don't want it to be a distraction to the Broncos postseason run. This place is a means to an end, and right now, that end is making an "end" run. I just wanted to come to the community with the idea when it came to me. If people were against it, then I was going to toss it out.

My take is this TJ. Moved to the statess Dec 2003, watched 2004 season, but had to have people explain virtually every play. I didn't benefit from growing up here, I've had a crash course ever since. Last season I read broncosfreak once a week or so, then during training camp this season Kaylore's unbelievable training camp reports were linked to, or detective work I found them. I haven't left since.

The football only board, with intelligent football takes and such is something that I would love to read, but would probably not have a lot to contribute to as I'm gonna be a rookie for a while yet.

However, this site has given me one hell of a football education, and the fans here continue to help me learn more and understand more. I feel like I've been on a whirlwind crash course since August and i continue to feel that way, and it's great. Even those who hate n00bs help.

There are a bunch of members on here that seem to be almost unwelcoming to the idea of fans like myself on a premium board. Screw them, they were all rookies once, and if they want less Bronco fans or something then they are just mad. I'll learn, I study this game constantly, even watch these poor ass MNF games so I can learn something new as often as possible.

This post is so bloody rambling. I had a point. i'm sure. Work fried my brain today.

You say 50 say they would pay, meaning around 20. I will definitely be one of the 20 and pay the day this is instigated. 100% guaranteed.
Great site, keep it up, blah blah blah...

Taco John
12-19-2005, 08:03 PM
On a serious note, TJ what can you learn from the bigger boards out there like ChiefsPlanet and ExtremeSkins that have already made good/bad decisions on such things?

Well, what happened at Chiefsplanet was that one of their prominent forum leaders took a job with the Scout.com network, and is now charged with building the community there. I have been approached with an offer like that before, but turned it down. I want press access for the site, to be sure, but I'm not so sure I like that idea. I think I'd rather see our grass roots thing here turn into it's own media outlet for the fans. I'd like to see us recruit our own writers and our own photographers through our own network of posters here. But that's all in due time. To do that you need money to pay writers. You need access. And most importantly, you need consistency. And to get that you need incentive. It's hard to get it done with a volunteer staff. Money makes the world go round.

Over at ExtremeSkins, the organization bought the board, and my best friend who is a Skins fan says that things were pretty smooth to begin with, but it has started to move south as more and more people come on board and their great posters started to get drowned out in the noise. He is starting to look for a little quieter place to post.

Over at FinHeaven, they have a Dolphins only main forum which is their main forum, and their reputation around the Internet is one of the worst that I've come across for a mainstream forum because any dissenting opinion from a rival fan in their main forum is shuttled off to a low traffic smack forum. I know how this community feels by an large about the idea of the way they run things over there (though I personally have no problems with their forum, I understand they've got a different way of doing it that works for them).

These are just a few of the boards I've got my eye on...

PatsWin2002
12-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Correct - Finheaven has a horrible reputation. Many posters are juvenile and any kind of a response is treated as smack and the warnings and bannings ensue. They don't police themselves (like here) so the problem perpetuates itself.

I knew you had your eye on the Skins board - before and after it was the "official" team board. I even went over there to see if you posed any of these questions to the folks over there. You hadn't. :)

REB
12-19-2005, 08:33 PM
I don't know much about server size and all that but there is one main thing that I would like corrected and that is the forum going down after the game. I mean c'mon, what is a team forum for if not to talk about the game during and after. If you can't do that then what's the point. We could spout off about nonsense anywhere during the week. I think that should be the number one concern. After that I'd like to see a vcash thing going on out here cuz I'll tell ya that is fun. A little fun betting amongst the members? yeah baby...

I think this site has what? 5,000 members? I spend time at a site that has 26,000 members and unless you are on dial up you will rarely ever have any trouble even on Sunday. Yes there's plenty of advertising but ya somehow learn to not notice it after awhile. That tells me that this whole thing is about getting a much bigger server. So do you want a hugh Bronco site with a bunch of advertisements or do you want a hugh Bronco site without all the advertisements? Like it or not this place is obviously growing and the internet is like everything else in our society, It costs money. It all depends on how the bills are gonna get paid. But one thing is for sure... the bills will get paid or the service will cease to exist. It's our choice.

Hogan11
12-19-2005, 08:35 PM
I really don't have a problem with the ads or trolls, strange as that sounds.

Just MO here but I don't see the need for a premium forum at all really.

I'll donate, but even though I would have access to the premium thing, I'd probably rarely go there. Afterall, whatever of importance that is posted there will make it's way to the free board anyways...so why bother?

Ray Finkle
12-19-2005, 08:36 PM

and I have always wanted to win an authentic personalized jersey....

-Slap-
12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
I post on some boards that have their forums split up into categories to prevent good threads from getting bumped off the page by smack threads, repetitive threads, hurray for me because I just took a **** threads, etc. These boards tend to work quite well for the purposes you desire, but I doubt this group could be retrained at this late date. It requires more commitment from the mods and thick skin when people start whining about having their threads moved, but that's how you keep the main page clean.

There's no reason for the trolls to ransack the board with multiple taunting threads. If merging their stupid smack gives it more respect than it deserves, just dump it into the Butt. Leave them one or two threads to thrash about in and eventually they'll get with the protocol. Those special folks who just can't help but post off topic threads on the main board need to be treated the same way.

The mods get all squeamish when some pimple faced peckerhead calls them a Nazi for "censoring" their precious comments.

Tough luck. Start your own damn weblog to support your stream of consciousness psycho babble, or, better yet, put it in the appropriate forum so those who are interested may post responses.

Separate forums work on other boards. They could work here, but there would be massive resistance at first.

Bronco News
AFC West News
Other NFL News
Media - Someplace to isolate all the Media hates us threads.

This would stop threads from dropping off the main page too quickly. Like I said, though, do the mods want to do that much additional work and what happens to people who continually post in the wrong forums?

REB
12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
There's one thing ya gotta hand to TJ and that's that he doesn't run this whole thing on some kinda power trip just because it's his puppy. He is very libertarian in his approach when it comes to dealing with peeps out here and I really do believe that's a big reason this place continues to grow. Of course there's a line you can cross but that's anywhere. You can't go to your PTA meeting and pull your pant's down.... well I guess you could but you probably wont be welcomed back. :) He let's people be people. He isn't looking for a bunch of Stepford fans who fall into place. That's what I think set's this Bronco site apart from most others. Be yourself but don't pull your pants down... :)

Dagmar
12-19-2005, 08:53 PM
My wife says I belong here. BAck when I still lived in Scotland and knew I was moving to the US, I stayed up all night to watch my first ever Superbowl, The Buccs vs the Faiders. I instinctively chose to support the Bucs. I was supposed to be a Bronco fan! :charge: :charge: :charge: I will of course pay!

PatsWin2002
12-19-2005, 11:12 PM
The poll has remained amazingly even throughout.....that's kinda cool.

Pezman
12-20-2005, 12:38 AM
I miss the old days, I admit, when this forum was a tightly knit family of posters who all knew each other like family. Hell, I still feel like some folks here are my family, but just family that I dont get to see as often

BroncoBuff
12-20-2005, 01:00 AM

The problem with a pay area, or even a free area restricted for "known friendlys only," is that the remainder of the site would be seriously diluted, and you'd risk driving off casual visitors (or friendly trolls)

BroncoBuff
12-20-2005, 01:04 AM

How much space could you save by downloading to DVD-RAM all threads and info 3+ years old? 2+ years old? You'd have it on disk if you ever needed it or somebody requested it. How do I donate?

Taco John
12-20-2005, 01:06 AM
The problem with a pay area, or even a free area restricted for "known friendlys only," is that the remainder of the site would be seriously diluted, and you'd risk driving off casual visitors (or friendly trolls)

That's a valid concern, and one that I'm strongly considering. Ultimately, I don't think that would be the case. We get about 500 registered members a day here. I estimate that we'll start off with 20 - 40 people willing to help out in order to gain access to a Broncos only forum. I would estimate the the new forum would get about 3 - 5 new threads a day... if that.

This forum would still be the main fare, and free as ever.

Taco John
12-20-2005, 01:11 AM
How much space could you save by downloading to DVD-RAM all threads and info 3+ years old? 2+ years old? You'd have it on disk if you ever needed it or somebody requested it. How do I donate?

We make back-ups all the time. I'm not sure I understand your question, or it's relevancy to this disucssion. Space isn't the problem on Sundays. Bandwidth is. We need a fatter pipe. We have all the space we need, though the larger the database is, the more performance is affected... Which is why I'd like to move to a more robust server with higher performance and a fatter pipe.

Hotrod
12-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Im not reading 9 pages of whatever this is about someone give me the important details.

Bronco_Beerslug
12-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Im not reading 9 pages of whatever this is about someone give me the important details.

Here's the skinny lazy dude. You want a place to be a snob or not? :Broncos:
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/6628/generic1hs.png

Hotrod
12-20-2005, 08:12 AM
LOL Id just as soon be a snob for free but I guess I'll be a sheep and roll with the majority Ha!

broncosteven
12-20-2005, 09:05 AM
I post on some boards that have their forums split up into categories to prevent good threads from getting bumped off the page by smack threads, repetitive threads, hurray for me because I just took a **** threads, etc. These boards tend to work quite well for the purposes you desire, but I doubt this group could be retrained at this late date. It requires more commitment from the mods and thick skin when people start whining about having their threads moved, but that's how you keep the main page clean.

There's no reason for the trolls to ransack the board with multiple taunting threads. If merging their stupid smack gives it more respect than it deserves, just dump it into the Butt. Leave them one or two threads to thrash about in and eventually they'll get with the protocol. Those special folks who just can't help but post off topic threads on the main board need to be treated the same way.

The mods get all squeamish when some pimple faced peckerhead calls them a Nazi for "censoring" their precious comments.

Tough luck. Start your own damn weblog to support your stream of consciousness psycho babble, or, better yet, put it in the appropriate forum so those who are interested may post responses.

Separate forums work on other boards. They could work here, but there would be massive resistance at first.

Bronco News
AFC West News
Other NFL News
Media - Someplace to isolate all the Media hates us threads.

This would stop threads from dropping off the main page too quickly. Like I said, though, do the mods want to do that much additional work and what happens to people who continually post in the wrong forums?

BRILLIANT!

GREAT FREAKING IDEA! Who will implement though. how many Mods would that take? If this site really is growing then you have to add Mods per X # of users. I like Slaps Idea. doesn't address how we pay for resource expansion but segments the site none the less

broncosteven
12-20-2005, 09:15 AM

Would you pay a membership fee (right now about $35) for premium content, interviews, podcasts, etc... other content not available on main board, in order to allow Taco to upgrade the bandwitdth & resources in order to grow the Mane to keep up with all the new users joining (550 per day last I read!).

If you do not want to pay a yearly fee: what would you propose Taco do in order to secure the funding to upgrade the resouces needed.

That is the way I see it. Over 9 pages so far some do some like to bust Tacos Balls about it & some don't care.

Pick Six
12-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Would you pay to ban Broncos fans who make stupid bets with KC trolls who only come around during Chiefs week?:clown:

OK...what steven said...:stuck:

Hotrod
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Would you pay to ban Broncos fans who make stupid bets with KC trolls who only come around during Chiefs week?:clown:

Idiots like that deserve to be banned ;D

Bronx33
12-20-2005, 11:42 AM
A funny question would be: would bob pay 35 bucks to talk on a bronco board? i would guess yes.

Hotrod
12-20-2005, 11:46 AM
A funny question would be: would bob pay 35 bucks to talk on a bronco board? i would guess yes.

We aint taking no food stamps or bartering for starwars action figures here :nono:

Dagmar
12-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't doubt it. Or he may have to leave this internet world and have social interaction. I've heard that gives him hives...

broncosteven
12-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Crush you can call me steve.

broncosteven
12-20-2005, 12:43 PM

He would have to ask his daddy to raise his allowance.

Hotrod
12-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Quick question do I get a refund if TJ bans me for calling him hitler all the time ;D

-Slap-
12-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Take his money and ban him right away.

Problem solved.

maven
12-20-2005, 02:48 PM
No to paid message board!

broncosteven
12-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Take his money and ban him right away.

Problem solved.

Wouldn't be the 1st time someone stole his milk money!

-Slap-
12-20-2005, 11:33 PM
That picture of him flipping off Taco was as effeminate as Liberace licking an ice cream cone.

Taco John
12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Funny you should say that... Just last week I called Gunther the Liberace of Defensive Coordinators thanks to those yellow glasses... And then dropped this:

http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2005/06/02/247476/LiberaceinHotPantssinglecopy.jpg

Taco John
12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Wash your eyes out good now...

Atlas
12-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Funny you should say that... Just last week I called Gunther the Liberace of Defensive Coordinators thanks to those yellow glasses... And then dropped this:

http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2005/06/02/247476/LiberaceinHotPantssinglecopy.jpg

I'm about as liberal as anyone here but that is just wrong.

Taco John
12-21-2005, 12:00 AM
What? You don't like Argyle?

Pezman
12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
What? You don't like Argyle?

If we still offered repbombs, I would have neg repped your azz for that eye-bleeding~! Nyah!

Clockwork Orange
12-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Funny you should say that... Just last week I called Gunther the Liberace of Defensive Coordinators thanks to those yellow glasses...

I still think he wears them so that he doesn't have to see the stripe that runs down his players backs.

Taco John
12-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I still think he wears them so that he doesn't have to see the stripe that runs down his players backs.

OH SNAP! (http://ohsnapyall.ytmnd.com/)

DomCasual
12-21-2005, 12:47 AM
As a white elephant gift, this weekend I got VIP passes to the Liberace museum in Las Vegas. Mind you, I hadn't been aware that there was a Liberace museum. And VIP tickets? I don't even want to know.

Blueflame
12-21-2005, 01:08 AM
If we still offered repbombs, I would have neg repped your azz for that eye-bleeding~! Nyah!

It's not as bad as that Brenda Warner avy one poster is sporting... Ack!

Taco John
12-21-2005, 01:24 AM
What? You don't like our guy elle?

/terrible. just terrible.

Taco John
12-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Back to the topic... For what it's worth, I don't know that this idea is set in stone yet. I've gotten positive feedback on it, and some negative... And some indifferent. There are some issues that bother me with regards to the idea that I want to consider.

I've got a notebook that I write ideas down in, and mull them over. I make mind maps and connect ideas, and play with them in my head. I've added quite a few of the different ideas I've received in this thread in the notebook.

I'm just going to say, nothing is imminent right now. It was an idea I had that I wanted to bring up to get feedback on and get the creative juices flowing. There are aspects of the idea that I like, to be sure, because they solve several different issues that I've been getting feedback on, in addition to addressing the need to keep making the server payment every 6 months. But there are other aspects that make me a little nervous.

I want to leave this topic open through the New Year in case there is more feedback one way or the other, or more Liberace or Gunther cracks worth running through... :)

BroncoBuff
12-21-2005, 03:23 AM
We make back-ups all the time. I'm not sure I understand your question, or it's relevancy to this disucssion. Space isn't the problem on Sundays. Bandwidth is. We need a fatter pipe. We have all the space we need, though the larger the database is, the more performance is affected... Which is why I'd like to move to a more robust server with higher performance and a fatter pipe.
I guess I didn't understand. I don't know about server bandwidth.

You could generate a fair revenue stream by posting a sticky thread with "Buy Your Merchandise Here", and incorporate your amazon or other merchadizer ppc inside - and include a photo of some user wearing the jersey "he got on amazon.com". That's a lot more interesting and attractive than simple sponsored banners, anyway. Or do all that, but backwards - find out where, say, Meck77 got his way-way-throwback jersey, and use his photo w/ a ppc to that retailer. "Meck77 got this beauty at amazon.com" or something.

And how about the idea for player/coach interviews - even phone interviews - that incorporate q's from users? Post mp3's.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 06:22 AM
I'm about as liberal as anyone here but that is just wrong.

thank god for Atlas's avatar....I think I threw up in my mouth a little on that one TJ...

yep....I did....

Rascal
12-21-2005, 07:49 AM

BAN HIM!!!!

RhymesayersDU
12-21-2005, 08:53 AM
-insert picture from Gladiator with "ban him" written on it-

Taco John
12-21-2005, 11:22 AM
You guys telling me you aren't into Yanky Doodie Dandies?

Popps
12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
To the original question...

An affordable premium service is always the way I thought OM should go. The benefits to the users here would be immediate and obvious, ranging from better content to a more stable server.

To those worried about a "class" separation... give me a break. Anyone who's got that kind of energy to worry about classes on a message board should be able to scrape together a handful of change a month. Seriously, what kind of person would spend so much time here that they'd be concerned about a class struggle.... but couldn't come up with 4 bucks?

Some people are just cheap. The net has a lot of free crap, and people think everything should be free. (Unless it's something they're selling or working for, then of course... they should be paid for it.)

Install a premium service, Taco. There are plenty of people who would gladly pay the cost of a Starbux coffee (actually less) a month to keep this place around.... improve it, etc.

It's fair, it's logical and it should have been done a long time ago.

Rock Chalk
12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
There are a few who are giving Taco way too much grief over this idea.

They know who they are.

And the funny thing is, the dont even post that much anymore.

Mile High Shack
12-21-2005, 02:49 PM
I said no

but if push came to shove

I'd probably pay for the premium stuff

ugh

I'm such a loser

-Slap-
12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
There are a few who are giving Taco way too much grief over this idea.

They know who they are.

And the funny thing is, the dont even post that much anymore.
LOL

From the Joe McCarthy School of Posting Techniques.

If you'll bring down the smugness level about a million percent, you'll notice that Taco John posted this thread and invited dialogue on this topic. If that concept is too grown up for you, feel free to excuse yourself from participating in the conversation.

Rock Chalk
12-21-2005, 03:12 PM
LOL

From the Joe McCarthy School of Posting Techniques.

If you'll bring down the smugness level about a million percent, you'll notice that Taco John posted this thread and invited dialogue on this topic. If that concept is too grown up for you, feel free to excuse yourself from participating in the conversation.
Yes, he invited dialog, not constant bitching about it.

For what bandwidth is used here, I can gaurantee you that I would be charging you mother ****ers to post here and I wouldnt even have asked.

It would do one of two things. 1) Drop the traffic level down to a point that I could afford to run things without charging or 2) Generate me some cash so that I could make the place better.

Either way is a win win situation.

Just be thankful he asked.

broncosteven
12-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Yes, he invited dialog, not constant b****ing about it.

For what bandwidth is used here, I can gaurantee you that I would be charging you mother ****ers to post here and I wouldnt even have asked.

It would do one of two things. 1) Drop the traffic level down to a point that I could afford to run things without charging or 2) Generate me some cash so that I could make the place better.

Alec is 100% right. Nice post dude.

ludo21
12-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Alec is 100% right. Nice post dude.

sort of, not like TJ has thje power to MAKE people pay.

-Slap-
12-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes, he invited dialog, not constant b****ing about it.

Who cares what you would do? You're nobody. Get a message board somebody wants to visit, then come back and talk some ****.

Northman
12-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Yea, ive been thinking about it and even though i probably could swing paying for it i probably wouldnt. And thats not to be a slap in the face to Tj for all the work puts into this but im not here enough to really justify paying for it. And im more into my music and music forums than i am here to support my team. Just too much going on right now for me.

Taco John
12-21-2005, 04:48 PM
I want to make clear that this forum would operate like it always does: free and without cost or obligation. All the forums would. The only thing we'd be doing is adding a Broncos Only "premium" forum while providing a way for me to recoup some costs and provide a faster server without feeling like a beggar with a cup out for donations.