PDA

View Full Version : Ugly, sloppy, and poorly played, yet we win... Is this win satisfying?

Pezman
10-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Tough game all around. Aside from the referees, who were absolutely atrocious in this mess (Bad calls against the Redskins, absolutely no holding calls either way etc), I really thought we could have and should have won this game walking away. Give major credit to the scrappy Redskins team for putting up a wonderful fight all day and more or less dominating us all day in our house.

Random thoughts that come to mind in this game.

- We are a terrible bad weather team.
For whatever reason, Jake and the boys just do not play well in unfavorable conditions. I realize that some of our games wont be played in great conditions, but looking back at letdown games like this (Oakland at home last year, the Bears at home '03 come to mind), there is clearly a trend forming for this team when the bad or hot weather hits. And if that is the case, I dread playing the Raiders on Christmas Eve day if there is even a hint of snow. We need to take advantage of these conditions better if we expect to play into January.

- Is this win is the most satisfying one of the year?
Yes... In letdown games like this in the past, the Broncos have always managed to bungle it away with stupid penalties and last minute heroics by the other team. Sound familiar to today? Fortunately, we found a way to walk away with very minimal effect. A big win, against a real solid and undefeated team, perhaps the toughest all-around team we have faced all year. Plus no major injuries, and a 1/2 game lead further on the Chiefs makes this one pretty sweet. Tough wins are always the sweetest in my opinion.

- Five games in, has this team found its identity?
Jekell and Hyde reign with this club. We seem to really be streaky at times as this season moves along. After a real smackdown on opening day, this team seemed to really find itself about halfway through the Chargers game. But, after a real laugher against the Chiefs, and a fantastic effort against Jacksonville, we seemed much less inspired today and it showed. Will we be ready for the defending World Champs next week? The Patriots might be the only team that is harder to predict than the Broncos right now. Inconsistancy on both sides of the ball must end if we are to consider ourselves a top-tier club.

- Are we an elite NFL team right now/ Is this team playoff worthy?
Tough wins are the mark of a great franchise, ones that always find a way to get the W even if they did not play well. But does that put us in the league elite? Maybe on defense. Our offense, specifically, the passing game is really a detriment to us right now and our QB and his role must come into focus if we expect to shoulder the real burden of playoff victories on our shoulders.

At 4 and 1, we control the AFC West, life is pretty good right now. Lets just hope we can find a way to win these gritty games and improve the offensive production some more and we can start getting excited about this club's January prospects.

Clockwork Orange
10-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Extremely satisfying.

Bronco9798
10-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Any win is satisfying. The win column doesn't show highlights, it just tallies the wins.

SoCalBronco
10-09-2005, 06:12 PM
It certainly feels good to win, but satisfying? No. We made too many mistakes and got outplayed in too many areas to feel good about the actual caliber of play out there. We are 4-1, but we are still inconsistent as a team. The level of play even on a bad day like this one is still much better than the Miami game, but I think we are still not quite the elite team that we are shooting to be. The Skins played pretty good, its not just us missing oppurtunities. They forced mistakes too, but still, we were not sharpe. The schedule is going to hit a rough patch now and then in the last 5 weeks of the season its going to hit an extremely rough patch. We are a pretty decent football team, but still will have an extremely hard time getting past 10-6.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Satisfying? No. This offense still made me nervous and today did nothing to change that.

Kaylore
10-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Yes I am satisfied. Look what Dallas did to the Eagles, Jets to Tampa Bay, and right now Jacksonville is on top of the Bengals. This game had "trap" written all over it. After two big wins, with rain and injuries, this is exactly the kind of game that we would've lost last year and the year before.

Are we somewhat inconsistant?

Perhaps in some stats, but we've been consistant in keeping the turnover ratio in our favor and in scoring points off those turnovers. Most of all, we are 4 weeks consistant in wins.

Can we improve? Yes. But I could not care less if we win the next twelve games like we won this one. A win is a win.

DarkHorse
10-09-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm only satisfied that finally Tatum is able to strut his stuff on the field. Great job by this young man today easily carrying this team to a win.

Atlas
10-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Yes I am satisfied. Look what Dallas did to the Eagles, Jets to Tampa Bay, and right now Jacksonville is on top of the Bengals. This game had "trap" written all over it. After two big wins, with rain and injuries, this is exactly the kind of game that we would've lost last year and the year before.

Perhaps in some stats, but we've been consistant in keeping the turnover ratio in our favor and in scoring points off those turnovers. Most of all, we are 4 weeks consistant in wins.

Can we improve? Yes. But I could not care less if we win the next twelve games like we won this one. A win is a win.

If Champ played it would have been a whole different game.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I will be satisfied when Shanny names Bell the starter. The win is the inportant thing, but Bell is about the only explosive aspect we have on O.

Did anyone else think that Lelie was the focus of this weeks gameplan? We will win on great running and great D!

SoCalBronco
10-09-2005, 06:17 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=2889&dateline=1128904436

This is certainly satisfying. Thank you Atlas.

ludo21
It certainly feels good to win, but satisfying? No. We made too many mistakes and got outplayed in too many areas to feel good about the actual caliber of play out there. We are 4-1, but we are still inconsistent as a team. The level of play even on a bad day like this one is still much better than the Miami game, but I think we are still not quite the elite team that we are shooting to be. The Skins played pretty good, its not just us missing oppurtunities. They forced mistakes too, but still, we were not sharpe. The schedule is going to hit a rough patch now and then in the last 5 weeks of the season its going to hit an extremely rough patch. We are a pretty decent football team, but still will have an extremely hard time getting past 10-6.

I love your enthusiasm. :)

I do agree the schedule only gets tougher, but i think after a win like this it will help in the long run. Dirty wins are still a win.

Yes, im very staisfied with the win. The O had wayy to many 3 and outs. BLah blah, the rain, blah blah. Didnt see the Skins having trouble. The Offense needs to get goin or else the D will wear down.

REB
I'm always satisfied with a win. Could we make some improvements? Sure, but so can every other team in the NFL. There are always improvements that can be made. For now though I'll take the win and be happy and leave the other stuff to Shanny and gang.

REB

1-2-3-:Broncos:!!!!!!! :charge:

Ray Finkle
about as satisfying as waking up next to a women in the morning.....

then not remembering how you got there and noticing that you had beer goggles on last night....

Dudeskey
until tomorrow at least, then I won't be satisfied unless they beat the Pats next week...

Bronco9798
but we are still inconsistent as a team.

You complain to much. We played a poor game after getting 2 very nice wins in which there was plenty consistencies and now we're still inconsistent as a team. It's one game played in the rain against a good team. Good teams find ways to win. We had some mistakes today. We're going to have more down the road. The question is, is can you overcome them and win. And guess what, we did?

Got_Moss89?
10-09-2005, 06:18 PM

I knew this excuse would start rolling by...If Springs was in during the whole game you wouldn't have gotten neither of those long runs by bell...

Dont be ungrateful over a win.

DBroncos4life
10-09-2005, 06:18 PM
After the way NU lost this game tastes great, and trust me after we sacked Burnell and I saw a flag on the play I started to cry.

DBroncos4life
10-09-2005, 06:19 PM
You complain to much. We played a poor game after getting 2 very nice wins in which there was plenty consistencies and now we're still inconsistent as a team. It's one game played in the rain against a good team. Good teams find ways to win. We had some mistakes today. We're going to have more down the road. The question is, is can you overcome them and win. And guess what, we did?

More posters should try and be as level headed as SoCal.

Rock Chalk
10-09-2005, 06:20 PM
IM satisfied that Denver won a game that it didnt win in previous years.

Im satisfied that we got a turnover and didn't give any up.

Im satisfied that we can run on anyone, no one can stop us.

Im satisfied that the defense can play like studs even in crap weather.

Im satisfied that we just dethroned one of the unbeaten teams, another went down earlier and yet another is looking to lose against a team we already beat.

Im satisfied that the Astros won the longest playoff game in history to take the series from the Braves 3-1.

Im satisfied that I was there for 13 of those 18 innings and watched both grand slams, another first in playoff history.

Im satisfied with this day in general, and the weekend as well as OU got trounced, Denver won and the Astros took down those silly Braves whom I hate with a passion rivaled only by my passion to hate the Raiders, Chiefs, and Waffle ****nut.

Im satisfied that we dont have to listen to anymore Skin trolls.

Im satisfied that the last two guys from Oklahoma State University have been great additions to our team.

Im satisfied that we are 4-1 on top of the division and only looking to get better.

Are there things I would have liked to seen differently? Sure, but the end result is what I was after, everything else is just gravy.

Kaylore
10-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Maybe. I do know that if Walls didn't play, it would have been a different game. :stuck:

Rock Chalk
10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
More posters should try and be as level headed as SoCal.
Thats boring and this place would suck.

It's more fun to point out the ignorance of dumbasses like Waffle.

Kaylore
10-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Im satisfied that we just dethroned one of the unbeaten teams, another went down earlier and yet another is looking to lose against a team we already beat.

Im satisfied that the Astros won the longest playoff game in history to take the series from the Braves 3-1.

Im satisfied that I was there for 13 of those 18 innings and watched both grand slams, another first in playoff history.

Im satisfied with this day in general, and the weekend as well as OU got trounced, Denver won and the Astros took down those silly Braves whom I hate with a passion rivaled only by my passion to hate the Raiders, Chiefs, and Waffle ****nut.

Im satisfied that the last two guys from Oklahoma State University have been great additions to our team.

Im satisfied that we are 4-1 on top of the division and only looking to get better.

Are there things I would have liked to seen differently? Sure, but the end result is what I was after, everything else is just gravy.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AlecRaenos again.

Pezman
10-09-2005, 06:23 PM
I may not be fully satisfied with just getting a W today for sure, but again, after bungling some of these very type of games with an almost unreal efficiency over the past couple of years, I'll take this win gratefully and move on. We can only hope that the team plays lights out next week against a streaky Pats squad since they will be riding high yet again after their big win on the road against the Falcons.

Hercules Rockefeller

I'm not so sure with the time Brunell had today

Rock Chalk
Well go spread some around and come back ;D

Hulamau
10-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Good take Kaylore we need to get more consistent in the passing game but I'll give every one a bit of a break today in slop like this. That Brunell passed as well as he did is just a big Kudo to him and 9 times of of 10 that doesn't happen in this kind of weather. No one on our team had more than 2 catches from a combination of dropped balls and poor passes.

If they can tighten it up next week and start completing those medium and long balls with some consistency this game will be long forgotten, other than as another big W in our column! :contract:

Rohirrim
10-09-2005, 06:31 PM

And the Cornholers lost

and the Buffs knocked the snot out of Texas A&M

And Larry Walker gets one last shot at a ring before he hangs it up.

And throw in that the Broncos won a game they should have lost because they ran the ball down the throats of the team that all these Foreskin trolls were telling us over and over and over couldn't be run on while the D came up big every time they needed to (forget Paymah, that's just rookie growing pains - but what about Warren and Gold, eh!)?

Hell, I'm as happy as a cat in a cannery. :P

Hulamau
10-09-2005, 06:32 PM

Amen!

Hulamau
10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
We win big next week and we take a big step toward the playoffs.

Atlas
10-09-2005, 06:34 PM
I knew this excuse would start rolling by...If Springs was in during the whole game you wouldn't have gotten neither of those long runs by bell...

If Springs would have played Plummer still would have been 9-25.

Breck Bronc
10-09-2005, 06:35 PM
A couple of questions for those who watched the game on TV;

What happened to the umpire early in the fourth quarter? It looked like he was unconcious on the field for a while.

Did Shawn Springs get injured during the game? I didn't see him after the first quarter.

Got_Moss89?
10-09-2005, 06:38 PM
If Springs would have played Plummer still would have been 9-25.

...whatever you just said that chic on your avatar is hot!

Clockwork Orange
10-09-2005, 06:39 PM
A couple of questions for those who watched the game on TV;

What happened to the umpire early in the fourth quarter? It looked like he was unconcious on the field for a while.

Did Shawn Springs get injured during the game? I didn't see him after the first quarter.

Some Skins player was blocking Nick Ferguson and they both ran him over. He hit his head pretty hard on the ground.

Springs was injured in the first half and didn't return.

Hulamau
10-09-2005, 06:45 PM

Shawn Springs is a decent corner but we used to run all over Shawn with great regularity when he was at Seattle. :-) And at least on Tatums first gallop to the endzone Springs would have been lined up on the other side of the field, probably flat on his back from a Rod Smith or Lelie block.

On the other hand, had Champ had been healthy and in there, Moss/Brunell would have had much less success through the air I dare say. I know he was fired up to want to play his old team. In any event, it would have meant that Paymah would not have even been on the field to give up that last TD via penalites at the very least.

But you are right, its hardly worth discussing. A win is a win and how sweet it is! Good luck to you guys next week.

Drek
10-09-2005, 06:47 PM
We got away with the win, Bell should've taken the starting job, overall I'm pretty happy. I'm hoping that Jake will find that Rod isn't the only target he can go to multiple times a game, or in the clutch, but still, better than loosing. :)

Got_Moss89?
10-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Shawn Springs is a decent corner but we used to run all over Shawn with great regularity when he was at Seattle. :-) And at least on Tatums first gallop to the endzone Springs would have been lined up on the other side of the field, probably flat on his back from a Rod Smith or Lelie block.

On the other hand, had Champ had been healthy and in there, Moss/Brunell would have had much less success through the air I dare say. I know he was fired up to want to play his old team. In any event, it would have meant that Paymah would not have even been on the field to give up that last TD via penalites at the very least.

But you are right, its hardly worth discussing. A win is a win and how sweet it is! Good luck to you guys next week.

Boy i've heard it all now...luck from a Bronco fan!

Shawn is actually decent in run support now. He might have sucked in seattle...but that was seattle and everybody used to miss tackles when they played D for them.

ScottXray
10-09-2005, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=Pezman]

- Is this win is the most satisfying one of the year?
Yes... In letdown games like this in the past, the Broncos have always managed to bungle it away with stupid penalties and last minute heroics by the other team. Sound familiar to today? Fortunately, we found a way to walk away with very minimal effect. A big win, against a real solid and undefeated team, perhaps the toughest all-around team we have faced all year. Plus no major injuries, and a 1/2 game lead further on the Chiefs makes this one pretty sweet. Tough wins are always the sweetest in my opinion.

- Five games in, has this team found its identity?
Jekell and Hyde reign with this club. We seem to really be streaky at times as this season moves along. After a real smackdown on opening day, this team seemed to really find itself about halfway through the Chargers game. But, after a real laugher against the Chiefs, and a fantastic effort against Jacksonville, we seemed much less inspired today and it showed. Will we be ready for the defending World Champs next week? The Patriots might be the only team that is harder to predict than the Broncos right now. Inconsistancy on both sides of the ball must end if we are to consider ourselves a top-tier club.

- Are we an elite NFL team right now/ Is this team playoff worthy?
Tough wins are the mark of a great franchise, ones that always find a way to get the W even if they did not play well. But does that put us in the league elite? QUOTE]

Are we elite...No. But we are BETTER than last years team, because that team would have found a way to lose this game, as you pointed out. The dumb announcers mentioned several times how worried Shanahan was that the team was emotionally flat this week, because of the last two weeks. With the conditions today it was obvious that Plummer is not a "Mudder" , and that could bite us in the rear later. He absolutely must perform better in those kind of conditions if we are to go far, assuming we make the playoffs.
Bad Jake was on the verge of appearance today.

While inconsistent, we have played some very good defensive units (KC excluded). We have now won with 2 rookie CB's two weeks in a row. We did get some pressure on Brunnell, but he mostly had all day back there on those rollouts. We failed to contain when we rushed, and the zone blitzes were a joke. Elite teams find ways to win. Today the refs broke up any cohesion by either team with calls and non-calls. The weather was lousy, and had too much effect.

Still it's a W in the win loss column so I'm Happy. I'll be satisfied if the team learns from this and IMPROVES, next week. Next week we have the Patriots at home. I'm glad the game is in Denver. :homer:

Hulamau
10-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Boy i've heard it all now...luck from a Bronco fan!

I always feel magnanimous after a win, particularly since you are playing our arch rival next week.

I do hope you do a repeat of your 6 -10 season this year, winning only next week and against SD and Chokeland and giving us a top 10 pick in the draft, but I'm no longer counting on it. !Booya!

Atlas
10-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Look at all the favorites that lost today. Hell, yeah this is a good win. The final score shopuld have been 21-13 but hell, score doesn't matter a win is a win and bring on the Patriots!!!!

Popps
10-09-2005, 07:02 PM
This game was a great example of how a defense can save an offense. (Even thought we did put up a decent number of points.) Plummer looked very shaky and we had trouble running consistently.

The defense wasn't perfect by any stretch, but we made those plays we haven't made in past years.

Hey.... we won in the rain. I'm happy.

OBF1
10-09-2005, 07:18 PM
A win is a win, I will take them anyway we get them. 4-1, who would have thunk?

Rascal
10-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Personally I don't care how ugly a W is...we won. That's all that matters.

Next game.

Sassy
10-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Personally I don't care how ugly a W is...we won. That's all that matters.

Next game.
Yep...the difference being it's a W...we always lose this type of game and today...we never gave up...even though I was tempted after the "nice" late hit call on Paymah.

BRONCCRUSHFAN
10-09-2005, 07:26 PM

I'm with Khan, you must spred some more rep around...Blah Blah Blah to Alec again.

Spider
10-09-2005, 07:29 PM
satisfying? Hell yes ....Redskins came in took us out of our game plan , but we found away to get it done ...........

BRONCCRUSHFAN
10-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm satisfied that Tatum Bell showed that he will be a great running back in this league.

I'm satisfied that although Jake was 9-25, he still took care of the football (except the tuck), and threw the ball away when he had too.

I'm satisfied that Domonique Foxworth and Darrent Williams both played great games, and weren't going to be intimidated by the veteran receivers.

I'm satisfied that a team that some predicted to finish last in the AFC West, found a way to beat a highly underrated Redskins team, and a game that in years past they would have lost.

I'm satisfied with a Broncos win, in any shape form or fashion.

hades
10-09-2005, 07:39 PM
The only stat that matters is the W vs. the L after the season is over, so I am satisfied with the win. Who cares if we finish 15 and 1, dominate every team the rest of the year, then get blown out by Indy again? Just win baby! ;D

errand
10-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Satisfying? No. This offense still made me nervous and today did nothing to change that.

I find it amazing nobody has blasted a D that gave up over 400 yards of total offense, and almost blew an 11 point 4th qtr lead. hmmm...

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 08:48 PM
The sucession of 5 punts made me really worried about the offense.

RhymesayersDU
10-09-2005, 08:50 PM
I will classify it as satisfying, based on the fact that we used to be in Washington's position: That is, we'd lead time of possession, lead it yards, etc... and the scoreboard wouldn't reflect that. We'd have those games where we did everything right, but still lost somehow. We used to be the ones giving up those big plays and losing.

So, with that in mind, it's nice to be on the other side, playing poorly but making the plays that we need and winning.

errand
10-09-2005, 08:53 PM
After the way NU lost this game tastes great, and trust me after we sacked Burnell and I saw a flag on the play I started to cry.

Yes....and the funny thing is all we hear by the usual suspects after the game is how the offense needs to improve and that Lenny Walls is the root of all evil on D.

But I don't recall Walls keeping that last TD drive alive with penalties....or bad coverage...and I don't think Jake and the O liked watching the D almost blow an 11 point 4th qtr lead.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 08:53 PM
I find it amazing nobody has blasted a D that gave up over 400 yards of total offense, and almost blew an 11 point 4th qtr lead. hmmm...
True......

but giving up over 400 yards and still just allowing only 19 points is just fricking incredible with the TOP deficit.

By the way 11 points isnt much of a lead.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 08:54 PM

Our D is based on speed, the rain was a great disadvantage..much like a baseball team soaking the infield against a basestealing team.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Yes....and the funny thing is all we hear by the usual suspects after the game is how the offense needs to improve and that Lenny Walls is the root of all evil on D.

But I don't recall Walls keeping that last TD drive alive with penalties....or bad coverage...and I don't think Jake and the O liked watching the D almost blow an 11 point 4th qtr lead.
True, but the Defense must have been tired after the 5 consecutive punts by the offense with each of them lasting less than 2 mins.

MrPeepers
10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Good teams don't have seasons full of perfectly executed games, well they do but they also have their dogs. We laid an egg, for sure maybe it's weather, unpreparedness, sloppy play, but it came down to a 2 pt conversion and we executed. A win is a win, the stats don't change our win to anything besides a win, so satisfying in the win column. Perhaps the most satisfying aspect of the game is that now we have a team that realizes it's not bulletproof and perhaps this coming sunday they'll be fired up for one of it's most important games of the season.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM

The O blew the lead by not getting 1st downs, and ST getting a punt blocked was worth 3 pts of that 11.

errand
10-09-2005, 09:04 PM
True......

but giving up over 400 yards and still just allowing only 19 points is just fricking incredible with the TOP deficit.

By the way 11 points isnt much of a lead.

11 points is two scores....

And your also forgetting the mistakes the Redskins made on a few big plays they had...like Portis running up the middle for about 30 called back for penalty....the offensive pass interference penalty on a TD pass (Walls wasn't covering for those who hate him)...and a safety overturned.

Our D was slapped around today....but to their credit they did come up with the one play they had too...welcome back Ian.

Hogan11
10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Denver won by the skin of it's teeth against a team that has been winning by the skin of it's teeth all year. It's not really satisfying in that the team should've rolled over WSH...but I'll take the W anyway it comes.

Pats coming in next week......Denver must be ready.

Mile High Shack
10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
every year but this year, we lose that kind of an ugly game

but this year it's been different, we are a different, hungrier team, who refuses to lose even tough the team is playing bad

a win is a win, is a win, is a win

you are not going to play your A game for 16 weeks, you just have to hope when you bring you C game, that you can muck through it enough to still pull out a W.

I'll take this win in bad weather and move on...next.........

oh btw, Jake, like Elway, can't throw the ball well in wet weather....I'm not sure what that is about

I think with Jake, his hands aren't big enough, so in wet weather the ball slips out on him

Mile High Shack
10-09-2005, 09:06 PM

And your also forgetting the mistakes the Redskins made on a few big plays they had...like Portis running up the middle for about 30 called back for penalty....the offensive pass interference penalty on a TD pass (Walls wasn't covering for those who hate him)...and a safety overturned.

Our D was slapped around today....but to their credit they did come up with the one play they had too...welcome back Ian.

one thing that was driving me nuts........Brunell completed like 90% of his passes to the left, you'd think we'd make and adjustment

Bronx33
10-09-2005, 09:06 PM
When you stand in the rain the whole game and not leave early.......yes! and shame on those candy a-s-s-e-s that did leave early!

errand
10-09-2005, 09:08 PM
True, but the Defense must have been tired after the 5 consecutive punts by the offense with each of them lasting less than 2 mins.

You mean when they allowed Washington to drive from inside their 5 yard line to what was almost the game tying points?

Seems to me if the D wanted to get a few minutes rest, they'd have forced a few 3 &out of their own...wouldn't you?

Yeah, again you guys blame the D's inability to keep Washington in check on the offenses inability to score 30 points.

Blart
Skins played much better than I expected.

Thankfully their offensive scheme is rare, so we shouldn't have trouble with pass rushing in the future.

Atlas

Paymah gave up the 4th quarter lead. Denver had the game won 21-13 until his penalty.

People can say yard this and yard that and Washington had 400 yards offense. That's all fine and good but Denver led the whole game and they dominated play without dominating the stats.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:09 PM

Good job on talking up the penalty reason, because that happens to everyone Errand. I love it when clowns talk about "if's"

Errand there are both sides to the penalty argument. Like the blatant holding PRyce, which were never called and the one that neutralized Warren's sack.

Bottom line.

19=Not slapped around.
Over 30 points= Slapped around.

Bronx33
10-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Paymah gave up the 4th quarter lead. Denver had the game won 21-13 until his penalty.

People can say yard this and yard that and Washington had 400 yards offense. That's all fine and good but Denver led the whole game and they dominated play without dominating the stats.

True dat! they can run up and down the field all they want, just don't let em score.

Mile High Shack
10-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Good job on talking up the penalty reason, because that happens to everyone Errand. I love it when clowns talk about "if's"

Errand there are both sides to the penalty argument. Like the blatant holding PRyce, which were never called and the one that neutralized Warren's sack.

Bottom line.

19=Not slapped around.

how many holds did you see the skins line have that never got called for us?

Rascal and I counted 6 that guys jersey's were hanging in the lineman's hands while they were on their way to the QB and it never got called

the refs did make some good calls to save us, but overall, they weren't that good in the holding area of the game

errand
10-09-2005, 09:12 PM
That's all fine and good but Denver led the whole game and they dominated play without dominating the stats.

.....so why is the offense catching all the flak?

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:13 PM
how many holds did you see the skins line have that never got called for us?

Rascal and I counted 6 that guys jersey's were hanging in the lineman's hands while they were on their way to the QB and it never got called

the refs did make some good calls to save us, but overall, they weren't that good in the holding area of the game
During the rain, it's hard to see stuff like that from the Ref's perspective, but there was no doubt there were several occasions the OL was trying to rape the DL.

errand
10-09-2005, 09:16 PM

Bottom line.

19=Not slapped around.

Brunell looking like he did in '96...Portis over 100 yards despite missiing some of the game, 1 sack coming only when the Redskins had to throw on every down....and an 11 point 4th qtr lead almost squandered when the D gave up a 95 yard drive with the game on the line.

Yeah, it's the offenses fault. hmmm...

errand
10-09-2005, 09:17 PM
During the rain, it's hard to see stuff like that from the Ref's perspective, but there was no doubt there were several occasions the OL was trying to rape the DL.

One of Washington's Olinemen was playing with practically two broken hands...and we couldn't get but one sack?

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Brunell looking like he did in '96...Portis over 100 yards despite missiing some of the game, 1 sack coming only when the Redskins had to throw on every down....and an 11 point 4th qtr lead almost squandered when the D gave up a 95 yard drive with the game on the line.

Yeah, it's the offenses fault. hmmm...

So you blame the blocked punt on the D?

errand
10-09-2005, 09:19 PM
True dat! they can run up and down the field all they want, just don't let em score.

.....and yet amazingly, we had clowns in here bitching about Walls allowing and all-pro like Jimmy Smith a few completions in a game we led fron the beginning and dominated throughout. I'm just wondering where their consistency is at.

Bronco Yoda
10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I ran out of beer damn-it so NO!... I'm not happy.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:21 PM
One of Washington's Olinemen was playing with practically two broken hands...and we couldn't get but one sack?
Do you realize Jon Jansen was the one who was practically trying to bear hug Pryce from behind?

And whether his hand was broken or not, he had his hands on pryce from the back.

And it's actually a good thing because it means Jansen couldnt hold jersey. Fair game.

Not only that you are just reaching.

you said the defense was slapped around.

19 points is hardly a slappage.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:23 PM
And do you farking realize the safety is on the offensive side not the defense?

errand
10-09-2005, 09:23 PM
So you blame the blocked punt on the D?

No, that's the special team's fault....so tell me were you trying to pin that on the offense?

See each unit is responsible for performing. It's not the O's fault, nor the D's fault the special teams looked like the special olympics on that play. It isn't the D's fault the O got stopped after 8 yards in 3 plays....and it's not the O's fault the D gave up a 95 yard TD drive in the final 4 minutes.

Mile High Shack
10-09-2005, 09:25 PM

what safety?

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:26 PM
what safety?
He was talking about the safety that was called back.

~Crash~
10-09-2005, 09:27 PM

Brunell and in our house ....what the sam HE77 makes that guy have darn near perfict game against us ?????????? the guy has not looked that good for 5 years all I can say is ##@!@!#!#!#!#!@#! :crazy:

Mtbrncofn
10-09-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm satisfied with a win even if it was ugly. I am not satisfied with Ashley at this point. I know the weather was bad out there, but geez he couldn't hang on to his jock strap if asked.

Mtbrncofn
10-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh and a bonus....Elam didn't shank anything. Jackpot!!

Ballhawk
No, that's the special team's fault....so tell me were you trying to pin that on the offense?

See each unit is responsible for performing. It's not the O's fault, nor the D's fault the special teams looked like the special olympics on that play. It isn't the D's fault the O got stopped after 8 yards in 3 plays....and it's not the O's fault the D gave up a 95 yard TD drive in the final 4 minutes.

1-1
(Pass formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. M.Brunell pass to D.Patten is incomplete. ATTEMPT FAILS.

D did their job.

errand

Yes i do know that, and that isn't the D's fault the offense almost gave them 2 points and the ball back. Just as it isn't the O's fault they allowed Washington to drive 95 yards in the 4th qtr. Get it now?

See, I expect the offense to produce a lead by scoring points, I don't expect the D to let the opposing team back into the game with lame penalties and 95 yard drives.

Are you going to sit there and type to us that had the Redskins tied the game, that it would be Jake and the offenses fault?

Atlas
10-09-2005, 09:30 PM
.....so why is the offense catching all the flak?

What from fans?? LOL There are people in this forum that b!tch because the sky is blue.

Plummer didn't play particularly well, but he didn't lose the game and the defense came through.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Errand I do not know what point your trying to make but the O was pathetic today. The D did an outstanding job considering they had to play 50% more plays than the O.

Mile High Shack
10-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Errand I do not know what point your trying to make but the O was pathetic today. The D did an outstanding job concidering they had to play 50% more plays than the O.

I wouldn't go this far

but they did enough for us to win today and that is all that matters

allowing a team to go 95 yards on the last drive of the game is totally unacceptable though

errand
10-09-2005, 09:33 PM
1-1
(Pass formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. M.Brunell pass to D.Patten is incomplete. ATTEMPT FAILS.

D did their job.

Offense scored 21 points...opposing team scored 19. O did their job.

But amazingly the only unit that was getting blasted in this thread (until I showed up that is) was the offense. The only unit that needs improvement is the offense say these keyboard experts. ???

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:35 PM
See, I expect the offense to produce a lead by scoring points, I don't expect the D to let the opposing team back into the game with lame penalties and 95 yard drives.

And stopped it when it mattered.

Try to learn to the phrase "Bend, but dont break"

Are you going to sit there and type to us that had the Redskins tied the game, that it would be Jake and the offenses fault?
There you go with the "if" again Errand.

Not only that..........

So when did I say that Errand? I didn't bash the offense much at all.

My only real complaint is Jake.

errand
10-09-2005, 09:37 PM
What from fans?? LOL There are people in this forum that b!tch because the sky is blue.

Plummer didn't play particularly well, but he didn't lose the game and the defense came through.

In the beggining of this thread the only negative comments were how the offense struggled today, and how Jake needs to do this better, or that better.

I'm not saying the offense couldn't have produced more...but the bottom line is they produce an 11 point 4th qtr lead and it was almost blown today because the D allowed Brunell and Portis to have a field day....especially that last drive.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
And the WRs corp to an extent.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't go this far

but they did enough for us to win today and that is all that matters

allowing a team to go 95 yards on the last drive of the game is totally unacceptable though

Paymah helped them to go 95 yards, and yes he is part of the D.

There is a reason why TOP is important, and the O put a very heavy burden on the shoulders of the D and they allowed 16 points. A great job!

errand
10-09-2005, 09:43 PM
And stopped it when it mattered.

Try to learn to the phrase "Bend, but dont break"

Yeah, that' s great until it does break...and then the flood gates usually open.

There you go with the "if" again Errand.

Not only that..........

So when did I say that Errand? I didn't bash the offense much at all.

My only real complaint is Jake.

So you can give a pass to a D that almost gave up the game tying points by allowing the Skins to drive 95 yards...but Jake, despite not throwing an INT in 3 games, and handing that very D an 11 point 4th qtr lead it almost blew, is who your taking issue with. OK gotcha.

Mile High Shack
10-09-2005, 09:44 PM

There is a reason why TOP is important, and the O put a very heavy burden on the shoulders of the D and they allowed 16 points. A great job!

I disagree with your great assesment

the D gets a good, but not great

again, great would be shut them down and not allow them to drive 95 yards

Bronco Yoda
10-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Taste Great!- A win is a Win

but....also....

Less filling- let's face it. They played down to the competition again today.

but we still got the buzz 'cuz in the end we made the plays when it mattered most. That blocked FG & 2point conversion is the kind of stuff that we were not doing last couple years.

DB-Freak
Yeah, that' s great until it does break...and then the flood gates usually open.

Yea that's the problem because of the if.

When it actually happens you can start complaining about it.

So you can give a pass to a D that almost gave up the game tying points by allowing the Skins to drive 95 yards...but Jake, despite not throwing an INT in 3 games, and handing that very D an 11 point 4th qtr lead it almost blew, is who your taking issue with. OK gotcha.

Ok becky4j, you still dont get it.

Plummer played a terrible game despite facing lackluster pressure. Plummer better be buying Bell lunch someday this week.

Bob's your Information Minister
Whoa. Jake didn't hand anyone an 11-point lead. What drives did Jake orchestrate?

In this contest your offense was pretty much two long runs and one drive in which Plummer managed to make a couple good throws.

Meanwhile, all the punting you did left your D out to dry. Washington dominated time of possession.

Natedogg
This one reminded me alot of the OT victory we had at buffalo in the snow (I think in 1997). After that game Shannahan said somthing like, "well this win just shows we can win the ugly games as well as the pretty ones."

As generic a statement that is, I think it applies to this w too. This game shows that denver has the grit to go blow for blow in the pouring rain and pull a w out in the game.

I wont even start getting intop the ifs, ans, or buts... even though I really want to. I will say that I cannot wait until champ gets back.

A sloppy, ugly, two-black-eye, punch in the face again and again win, and a very satisifying one at that.

Also big props to Tbell.

10-09-2005, 09:47 PM
becky4j

ROFL!

Orange4Life
10-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm satisfied with the win because;

It was an ugly gritty game that we have had a habit of losing the past few years.

We have picked up two wins without Champ.
I think the D would have been much better with Champ. We didn't have a good pass rush today, I think Brunell having alot of quick drops and alot of max protect contirbuted to the lack of rush. Many times our rookies had good coverage and just didn't make the play. The difference between Champ out there and our rookies would have resulted in fewer catches by the skins. IMO

I'm happy with Plummers audible resulting in a key TD. Jake has been butchered around here by some people for his audible in SD last year. I think he deserves his props for this audible now.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 09:48 PM
I disagree with your great assesment

the D gets a good, but not great

again, great would be shut them down and not allow them to drive 95 yards

Ok we disagree :)

Still it would have been nice to see the O run out the clock with 6 mins remaining and not put the D in that position, instead 3 and out.

Mile High Shack
Whoa. Jake didn't hand anyone an 11-point lead. What drives did Jake orchestrate?

In this contest your offense was pretty much two long runs and one drive in which Plummer managed to make a couple good throws.

Meanwhile, all the punting you did left your D out to dry. Washington dominated time of possession.

what's that

I see you typing, but it only translates to 4-1 on my screen and 2 1/2 games ahead of you

errand

Your assuming that the only reason Washington had so much TOP was because the offense couldn't sustain drives. Couldn't one also argue that the reason the Skins won the TOP battle was because our D couldn't stop them between the 30's?

Our scored 21 points....despite not holding the ball forever....14 points came on drives that took little time of the clock...but gave the D an 11 point lead to work with.....and the offenses reward for grabbing a double digit lead? A mere 2 point victory that gave half of Bronco nation heart failure.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Errand your line of thinking is this.

It's like saying "It's just because that RB didnt break the tackle to get in the endzone. Otherwise it would have been the D's fault."

Well it didn't happen.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
The TOP is affected by the both the offense and defense. Both of em didn't do well.

10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Your assuming that the only reason Washington had so much TOP was because the offense couldn't sustain drives. Couldn't one also argue that the reason the Skins won the TOP battle was because our D couldn't stop them between the 30's?

Our scored 21 points....despite not holding the ball forever....14 points came on drives that took little time of the clock...but gave the D an 11 point lead to work with.....and the offenses reward for grabbing a double digit lead? A mere 2 point victory that gave half of Bronco nation heart failure.

You can't be serious. Your offense played like ****. You punted 7 times for crying out loud. You went 3-and-out FIVE CONSECUTIVE TIMES.

Mile High Shack
10-09-2005, 09:51 PM
You can't be serious. Your offense played like ****. You punted 7 times for crying out loud. You went 3-and-out FIVE CONSECUTIVE TIMES.

again

I think I see what your typing

but I just keep seeing 4-1 and 2 1/2 games up on the Chiefs

10-09-2005, 09:51 PM
what's that

I see you typing, but it only translates to 4-1 on my screen and 2 1/2 games ahead of you

A game and a half of that is bullsh*t, since you have a bye also, and you won't be winning in Arrowhead.

DarkHorse30
10-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Brunell and in our house ....what the sam HE77 makes that guy have darn near perfict game against us ?????????? the guy has not looked that good for 5 years all I can say is ##@!@!#!#!#!#!@#! :crazy:

Washington has a stout O-line and Brunell is pretty good at making his reads and firing quick. He's only been sacked 4 times all year. On the plus side, Denver's O-line held up pretty well against a "run-stopping" defense and also didn't allow a sack.

The difference in the game was ball control. I liked Tatum with the homeruns but I'm still not convinced he's a steady chain-mover. I like the idea of having him in as a gamechanger, not as the everydown workhorse. Late in the fourth quarter on two consecutive runs he was dancing around back there looking for another breakaway....and came up with nada. Sometimes you have to hit the hole for 3 yards a few times and settle for 3rd and 3, rather than 3rd and 10.....especially against a good defense. Tatum doesn't know that yet...IMO.

Mile High Shack
A game and a half of that is bullsh*t, since you have a bye also, and you won't be winning in Arrowhead.

letters are all mixed it and my screen still says

4-1 with a 2 1/2 game lead

Bronco Billy
Taste Great!- A win is a Win

but....also....

Less filling- let's face it. They played down to the competition again today.

but we still got the buzz 'cuz in the end we made the plays when it mattered most. That blocked FG & 2point conversion is the kind of stuff that we were not doing last couple years.

The Broncs did play down to the competition. Washington is NOT as good as their previously 3-0 record. They were outplayed in Dallas and won at home versus the O-less Bears. Hopefully, we'll be ready for the defending champions.

SoCalBronco
I dont see where you are getting this from, Errand.

The offense once again hung the defense out to dry and for the 3rd time in the last 4 wins, the Defense made up for the offense's ****ups. We couldnt move the ball worth squat outside of a couple big plays. Plummer made some really poor throws today. He had a few interceptable balls. Merely because the D didnt actually pick them off doesnt magically make it all ok. Its still a bad pass. The pass itself doesnt depend on whether the defense keeps their mits on it for it to be bad. I certainly admit that my boy, Ash did not help things today. There were a variety of mistakes on offense. But Plummer and the unit as a whole hung the D out to dry. They let the Skins move it down their throats the final quarter? Yeah....that might have been due to the fact that the offense could not keep possession and put our D on the field a large majority of the game, similar to the Dolphins game except here the elements didnt necessarily make us more tired. Ofcourse we are going to get it handed to us in the 4th quarter when they have been out there on the field close to 40 minutes.

Atlas
In the beggining of this thread the only negative comments were how the offense struggled today, and how Jake needs to do this better, or that better.

I'm not saying the offense couldn't have produced more...but the bottom line is they produce an 11 point 4th qtr lead and it was almost blown today because the D allowed Brunell and Portis to have a field day....especially that last drive.

You know the Redskin players get paid too.

The game was won 21-13 if it wasn't for Paymah. The D came through when called upon. Hell, In todays NFL I don't see why anyone would b**** about a victory.

Look at the Falcons, Eagles, Bengals, Bucs, Ravens. I bet they wouldn't have minded looking bad while winning today.

Orange4Life
10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
As for the TOP deal. The offense had some three and outs, but the offense didn't let the redskins march up and down the field chewing up that clock. The TOP was very lopsided half way into the second quarter. We scored pretty quickly and the redskins were chewing up clock and but not scoring.

Damn that Jake! He needs to manage the offense better so they don't score as quickly.

Clockwork Orange
10-09-2005, 09:53 PM

Won't really matter as far as the standings go because the Chefs will just be playing for pride and individual stats by then.....again.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Errand I am more than happy that we got the win, but when the team goes to review game film the only person on O that will not be cringing is Bell.

Let me put it this way, the D made 9 plays (5 forced punts, fumble, 2pt conv, stopped drive before half, blocked FG) and the O made 3.

Clockwork Orange
10-09-2005, 09:56 PM

And despite that we still won. You only wish your defense was good enough to pick up your offense like that.

errand
10-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Errand your line of thinking is this.

It's like saying "It's just because that RB didnt break the tackle to get in the endzone. Otherwise it would have been the D's fault."

Well it didn't happen.

Tell me clown...how many more teams do you see this D holding under 20 points if they allow a 100 yard rusher, grab only one sack, allow over 400 yards of total offense, and allow a 95 yard Td drive in the 4th qtr with the game on the line?

How many games do you see us winning like that?

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Damn that Jake! He needs to manage the offense better so they don't score as quickly.

Dont worry he had very little to do with it.

DB-Freak

The offense once again hung the defense out to dry and for the 3rd time in the last 4 wins, the Defense made up for the offense's ****ups. We couldnt move the ball worth squat outside of a couple big plays. Plummer made some really poor throws today. He had a few interceptable balls. Merely because the D didnt actually pick them off doesnt magically make it all ok. Its still a bad pass. The pass itself doesnt depend on whether the defense keeps their mits on it for it to be bad. I certainly admit that my boy, Ash did not help things today. There were a variety of mistakes on offense. But Plummer and the unit as a whole hung the D out to dry. They let the Skins move it down their throats the final quarter? Yeah....that might have been due to the fact that the offense could not keep possession and put our D on the field a large majority of the game, similar to the Dolphins game except here the elements didnt necessarily make us more tired. Ofcourse we are going to get it handed to us in the 4th quarter when they have been out there on the field close to 40 minutes.

Jake Plummer-Errand = Brian Griese- Becky4j

Vegas_Bronco
This win was needed and I agree that it is about time 'luck' dropped one off on our side of the field - but, I see big problems next week with NE coming to town.

How different of a game would this have been with Champ? Boy we sure need him back SOON! Brady could throw up 350+ if Champ doesn't get healthy.

10-09-2005, 09:58 PM

That's just it. Jake did almost nothing all day long.

The Skins offense didn't do shiat all game long until the Broncos D started getting tired.

How well do you think Plummer played today on a scale of 1 to 10?

Ballhawk
11 first downs...pathetic

Tell me clown...how many more teams do you see this D holding under 20 points if they allow a 100 yard rusher, grab only one sack, allow over 400 yards of total offense, and allow a 95 yard Td drive in the 4th qtr with the game on the line?

How many games will you win with Plummer playing like a high school quarterback, dumbass?

10-09-2005, 09:59 PM
And despite that we still won. You only wish your defense was good enough to pick up your offense like that.

I'm trying to defend your defense here. Pile on the Plummer Lovers!

Orange4Life
10-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Dont worry he had very little to do with it.
He audibled intot the second Bell TD. So he must have had something to do with it.

errand
10-09-2005, 10:03 PM

Your premise is faulty because your assuming that the only reason our d was out there all day was because the offense punted 7 times.

So tell me if the Redskins D can force 7 punts why can't ours?

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 10:04 PM

Clown

Again with the speculation. That alone makes it faulty. I'm sick of explaining your faultiness of your argument.

Then I'll ask the question "will that happen?" "How often?" Where can you give me a clear cut answer clown?

Unlike you, Im talking about what has happened unlike you friggin clown.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Your premise is faulty because your assuming that the only reason our d was out there all day was because the offense punted 7 times.

Because we forced a TO and time ran out in the first half.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 10:05 PM
He audibled intot the second Bell TD. So he must have had something to do with it.

That was the very little part

SouthStndJunkie
10-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I am very happy with the win. These are the kind of games we usually lose.

Washington plays some hard hitting defense, we slugged it out and came out on top.

SSJ

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 10:07 PM

Then again, how this statement is relevant to the discussion is a mystery.

errand
10-09-2005, 10:08 PM
How many games will you win with Plummer playing like a high school quarterback, dumbass?

Why would you care if we won any games moron?

I guarantee we'll win more games if Jake doesn't turn the ball over like he hasn't the past 3......now can you guarantee we'll win more games with the criteria I gave you?

SoCalBronco

I admit that it wasnt the only reason. At several times the Defense had trouble getting off the field on 3rd down. Mostly it was due to the lack of rush from the DL, but as between the two, the offense's impotence bears more blame for the fact that the D was out there a large majority of the time. We very few sustained drives in this game, especially in the first half.

Bronco Billy
I'm happy with the win too, but it shoud have never been this close.

desertbronco
10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
bottom line, this is a win we don't have for the past few years. the skins had a max protect on with two tight ends most plays. pass rush is going to be hindered anytime with this and the secondary did ok without champ in there and three!! rookies. the weather most likely made the game closer than expected and jake probably is a bad wet weather qb due to his smallish hands. (elway also sucked with a wet ball due to tight grip and velocity). not a great effort, but still counts as much as the kc game. better effort needed next week against the defending champs.

errand
10-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Then again, how this statement is relevant to the discussion is a mystery.

You keep saying that "if" doesn't matter...OK fine.

Instead I'll state facts....we did allow a 100 yard rusher, we did allow over 400 yards of total offense, we did allow a 95 yard TD drive with the game on the line, and we only had 1 sack.

Now given these facts, how many teams do you see us holding under 20 points?

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 10:12 PM

Instead I'll state facts....we did allow a 100 yard rusher, we did allow over 400 yards of total offense, we did allow a 95 yard TD drive with the game on the line, and we only had 1 sack.

More than I see us beating getting 11 first downs

10-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Errand.

In your opinion, which side of the ball won the game for Denver on Sunday?

DB-Freak

How often will it happen like that? Errand?

If you have a crystal ball, now would be a good time to pull em out cause you'll need it .

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/images/crystal_ball3.jpg

More than I see us beating getting 11 first downs

I think the bottom line is you're going to win alot more games holding teams to 19 points than getting 11 first downs and/or 92 yards passing.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Errand, let me make this clear to you.

I do not think defense sorely won this game or did it deserve the game ball. Offense got points as we needed it.

But your statement about the defense getting slapped around is what I'm disagreeing about.

Not only that certain individuals on the offense really sucked today.

Ballhawk
10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
SF had 12 first downs with a rookie playing QB

errand
10-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Errand.

In your opinion, which side of the ball won the game for Denver on Sunday?

I know where your trying to go with this Bob, and it's not gonna work....you think that an O scoring alot of quick points put undue pressure on their D? That might be true in KC where you lack playmakers, but it shouldn't matter in Denver where we allegedly have some.

How about having a D that can manufacture a pass rush when the offense stakes them an 11 point 4th qtr lead, and the opposing team is throwing on practically every down?

BTW can you tell me how many dropped passes stopped Washington drives vs good plays by the D?

10-09-2005, 10:22 PM
How many dropped passes killed DENVER drives?

NEITHER team had a pass rush today. The weather made it extremely difficult to get after the QB.

Bottom line, your defense had been on the field all day long because your offense continually went 3 and out.

The Redskins scored a TD in the first quarter.

After that, DESPITE an offense that strung them out to dry, your defense stopped the Redskins over..and over..and over...

Until finally they were so damn tired they said "FVCK THIS SH*T" and won the game in the 4th quarter.

DB-Freak
10-09-2005, 10:27 PM
BTW can you tell me how many dropped passes stopped Washington drives vs good plays by the D?
Can you with conclusive evidence?

Do you have evidence what is a good ratio of dropped passes stopped by the offense vs good plays by the D for measuring of the defense?

You sound like a keyboard expert suddenly now.

I love it when clowns b**** about this stuff.

Just like when Herc said about AL's interception for the TD last year. "He had a clear lane open in front of him."

Well do you think it is only denver that gets the break? The big plays of other teams are all hard earned something?

errand
10-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Errand, let me make this clear to you.

I do not think defense sorely won this game or did it deserve the game ball. Offense got points as we needed it.

But your statement about the defense getting slapped around is what I'm disagreeing about.

Not only that certain individuals on the offense really sucked today.

I'm not looking for praise of the offense either, what I'm looking for is equal blame when the team wins ugly like this....it's like the Colt's playoff game where the d allowed 35 points in the 1st half....guess which unit got blamed for that? The O.

That's ridiculous. Sure the O could have helped the team out by scoring more, but it's up to the D to stop the opposing team from sustaining drives and scoring points. Lack of offensive prowess didn't stop the Ravens from winning it all. so why should it stop the Broncos?

Today our D limited Washington to only 19 points and of course made the one play they had to...I'm grateful for that...but I'm sure the Skins would have scored more had they not dropped water logged passes, and not committed the penalties they did, and had Portis not missed a bit of time with that bum ankle.

errand
10-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Bob, I'm thinking that the way Brunell was able to throw a wet ball with pinpoit accuracy for most of the day vs Jake struggling to throw a wet ball, it was more bad throws on our drive killers and more dropped passes on theirs.

If you think our D played fine today...that's your perogative, but I'm telling you now we will not limit too many teams to 19 points or win too many games at all allowing a 100 yard rusher, 400+ yards total offense, grabbing one sack, and allowing a 95 yard 4th qtr Td drive with the game on the line.

10-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Today our D limited Washington to only 19 points and of course made the one play they had to...I'm grateful for that...but I'm sure the Skins would have scored more had they not dropped water logged passes, and not committed the penalties they did, and had Portis not missed a bit of time with that bum ankle.

The defense did your offense an incredible favor by keeping the lead intact when Denver's offense was doing nothing but going 3-and-out. Even the best defenses crack eventually under that kind of strain.

I'm sure the Broncos would have scored more and kept their defense off the field had they not dropped water logged passes and thrown lame duck passes.

10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
If you think our D played fine today...that's your perogative, but I'm telling you now we will not limit too many teams to 19 points or win too many games at all allowing a 100 yard rusher, 400+ yards total offense, grabbing one sack, and allowing a 95 yard 4th qtr Td drive with the game on the line.

It played better than the offense.

And you won't be stuck with two rookie corners in most games, either.

Odysseus
10-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Rep Alec.

footstepsfrom#27
10-09-2005, 11:29 PM
This game had the feel of a trap game like the 2000 loss to New England and the Chicago debacle 2 years ago. I was thinking that this morning about the Cowboys-Eagles game, with Philly coming off an emotinal come from behind road win and the Crackboys looking like an easy W. In the NFL nothing is for sure. Is this satisfying? No. We should have won this game by at least 10-14 points. This offense has major work to do in the passing game and the defense needs to do some soul searching to find out why we gave a team like this over 450 yards in total offense. On a positive note, I think this might actually toughen this team's backbone against some of the opponenets they have coming up, and we've been able to win two weeks in a row in tough grind 'em out games without Champ Bailey. We're going to win some more ugly ones before this year is up. Let's just hope we learn from this and get better. I didn't get to see the game, and from the looks of it I picked a good one to miss.

Odysseus
10-10-2005, 01:56 AM
When you stand in the rain the whole game and not leave early.......yes! and shame on those candy a-s-s-e-s that did leave early!

A lot of good takes on this thread. This is one of them. The weather took the fans out of the game too.

Odysseus
10-10-2005, 02:03 AM
If the offense had ground out two drives for scores the defense could have put this game away and left no doubt.

It seems if the Broncos short passing game is shot they are afraid to run the ball.

BRONCCRUSHFAN
10-10-2005, 10:21 AM

The spearing penalty was completely stupid on Paymah's part. However, in Karl's defense, he just got called for a phantom illegal contact/holding penalty. He is a rookie, and he needs to learn not to allow the officials to change his emotional approach to the game. I am also getting really tired of the illegal contact rule, the way that it is enforced. Patten ran directly into Paymah, grabbed a handful of jersey, and basically tossed Paymah to the side to get open. Can someone explain to me how that is defensive holding if the receivers initiate the contact, initiates the hold, and the defender is fighting his way through it? I've started seeing more receivers run directly at the defender to draw the illegal contact call. That IMPO is like unsportmanship diving in hockey.

Crushaholic
10-10-2005, 10:32 AM

YES...This game reminded me of the last few years when we didn't have a pass rush worth a damn. Brunell had all the time in the world to throw, and a less than 100% healthy Champ Bailey probably wouldn't have made much of a difference...

Tredici
10-10-2005, 10:39 AM
errand is so funny.

Al Wilson recovers a fumble that leads to 7 points.
Trevor Pryce blocks a kick that leads to 7 points.

Thank God the offense did it all by themselves.

bloodsunday
10-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I look at it like this:
1) The weather was horrible and it clearly hurt our defense and helped their offense. It should have helped our offense, particularly passing the ball. DL simply have little traction for rushing the passer and corners (Washingtons backups by the way) are almost useless in these conditions. That leaves me little confidence in the event of another bad weather game.

2) The Redskins run a very different kind of scheme than just about anyone in the NFL, so much max protection and use tons of h-back and TE play. That's not something we will see a lot, so it doesn't worry me. Great article here about that:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2186065

3) Tatum Bell deserves more carries, period. Enough about his blocking and his pass catching. Running backs are paid to run the ball and there is none better on this team than him. If we wanna play patty-cake O and use the 5 yard pass game, then MA is your guy. If you wanna run the ball, give it to a running back. Tatum Bell gets enough tough yards and has the best burst of any back we've had other than CP.

4) It was good to be on the otherside of this kind of game. Hopefully, this team understands that it was a fortunate win. I like Jake's take "late in the season you don't remember how the game was won, just whether you won or lost".

5) Sauerbraun is freaking awesome.

6) This defense still needs to find an answer to the dink-and-dunk O. Despite the Skins' unusual schemes, this D continues to struggle against 3 step drops and max protection. Some of it is tackling, some of it is the cushion we give WR, etc... Even if you rush 3 against 7, shouldn't someone get near the QB after 5 or 6 seconds? Nonetheless, it will be used a lot against us until we can shut it down. Of course, if our offense can put some points on the board early, then it won't be useful to the other team anyway (much like the run game).

7) Notch it up in the "W" column and bring on Brady's boys. But please, please don't talk about "his team" or he might get his panties in a bunch again.

errand
10-10-2005, 05:55 PM
errand is so funny.

Al Wilson recovers a fumble that leads to 7 points.
Trevor Pryce blocks a kick that leads to 7 points.

Thank God the offense did it all by themselves.

I never said they did it all by themselves, and our d did make some good things happen,Tredici....but if you think the offense was the only sore spot out there today, and is the only unit that needs attention, your sadly mistaken.

Think about it....this alleged stellar defensive performance, the Washington mistakes like OPI on a TD pass, dropped passes, and they still almost beat us.

Meck77
09-14-2009, 08:17 AM
The takes haven't changed at all. The "ugly win" people still love them. The "ugly win" haters still hate them.

It's an interesting phenomena if you ask me.

Natedog24
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
It better be satisfying because I don't think Denver will get a lot of wins this year so we need to enjoy the ones we do get. There are also plenty of positives you can take from this game and this week (Cutler) that makes things real peachy right now for Bronco fans.

Lev Vyvanse
09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
It better be satisfying because I don't think Denver will get a lot of wins this year so we need to enjoy the ones we do get. There are also plenty of positives you can take from this game and this week (Cutler) that makes things real peachy right now for Bronco fans.

This thread is from 2005.

Crushaholic
09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
LOL Rep to Meck for bumping this thread. I thought Pez was back, for a second...:rofl:

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
My first Broncos home game.
It was ugly, sloppy, but we DRANK well.
That game long rain was horrendous.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Jeez, I didn't post at all in that thread. But, it's interesting to look back and see what others said. I like to see some oldtime bumps. Good bump.

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Whatever happened to Pez anyway?

Hogan11
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Another thread from the golden age resurrected.....the "whatever happened to..." thing could go for a lot of the ancient posters in this one.

Cool Breeze
09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes it is satisfying!

NFLBRONCO
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm satisfied from yesterday's game why? We won

We are what I expected a bad team that has miles of work to do on both sides of the ball to reach playoffs on constant basis. My hope is we get better each week and go from there. If we stay with Orton a few years I think we need more help at TE and WR we look very oridinary no explosive playmakers.

Irish Stout
09-14-2009, 01:53 PM
The question on an ugly W is would you rather have just had a sloppy game or would you rather have had a sloppy W. Of course we'd all rather have picture perfect Ws, but anyone who plays golf knows that sometimes you need the lucky bounce of the ball to get a good score. Its part of the game.

Popps
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
This win wasn't that ugly. Lucky? Sure, we caught a big break. Also caught a couple of brutal holding calls and had a few key balls dropped. But, for game one of a new system(s) ... this wasn't bad. Nice performance by STs/D and the offense took care of the ball.

I'm not sure what was so "ugly" about it. If you want ugly, look at last season.

For some reason, your average fan has no problem winning a 37-34 game where our defense sucks ass (like the Saints game last year) ... but if we play solid D and win a low scoring game, people call it "ugly."

This is what playoff football often looks like. Low offensive output... lots of defense and games decided by turnovers and special teams.

Of course this win was satisfying. Every win is satisfying, especially one where we show encouraging signs like we did yesterday.

Honestly, some of these people just need to find a different hobby if winning games makes you that miserable.

fontaine
09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
This is what playoff football often looks like.

Then you need to stop watching the Canadian Football League.

How many NFL playoff games have you seen in the last 10 years where the offense fails to crack the red zone?

Br0nc0Buster
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Wins are always satisfying

Much much better to be 1-0 with things to work on than 0-1

Mr. Trout
09-14-2009, 06:34 PM
any...and i mean any win is satisfying. Stokley baby!!!

Popps
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Then you need to stop watching the Canadian Football League.

How many NFL playoff games have you seen in the last 10 years where the offense fails to crack the red zone?

Again, we put up 13 points... probably should have been more if not for penalties and Marshall sucking.

It's a win. These types of ugly games are commonplace in Dec/Jan. You have to be able to win these types of games. Given, we got a huge break. The point here is, our defense held a team to 7 points, despite low offensive output. That's a massive improvement on last year.

But, look... you can keep p!ssing yourself about it if you want. Most of us enjoy winning.

Cito Pelon
09-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Wins are always satisfying

Much much better to be 1-0 with things to work on than 0-1

Yup.

fontaine
09-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Again, we put up 13 points... probably should have been more if not for penalties and Marshall sucking.

It's a win. These types of ugly games are commonplace in Dec/Jan. You have to be able to win these types of games. Given, we got a huge break. The point here is, our defense held a team to 7 points, despite low offensive output. That's a massive improvement on last year.

But, look... you can keep p!ssing yourself about it if you want. Most of us enjoy winning.

Backpedal all you want, but you said

"This is what playoff games often look like."

So I was just wondering, how many playoff games have you seen where one offense fails to crack the red zone. I didn't ask, and don't need an explanation of what playoff football is like, or how many points we scored or who won, thanks anyway.

If you don't want to answer the question then that's fair enough.

Oh and while I'm at it I thought you said that this win wasn't that ugly, and you weren't sure what was so ugly about it.

But now it's an ugly game?

It would be a lot easier if you just stuck to telling the truth rather than talking out of your a$$.

fontaine
09-15-2009, 06:02 AM
And just so there's no confusion about it?

I know there seems to be some sort of idiotic notion that if you're not happy with certain parts of how the team performed that it automatically means you didn't and can't enjoy the win.

Let me state the obvious, the two are not mutually exclusive.

But if there's still any confusion over it, then what do you think McDaniels and Orton are doing right about now and were for the past few hours?

Patting themselves in the back and basking in the glow of that glorious victory, or thinking about how to improve that god awful offensive performance, because you know, you expect them to have a certain amount of pride in doing the little things (like scoring, 3rd downs, etc) well.

I guess in Popps world, Orton and McDaniels are pissing themselves and are "widow b*tches" incapable of enjoying the win.

Meck77
09-08-2014, 07:02 AM
The takes haven't changed at all. The "ugly win" people still love them. The "ugly win" haters still hate them.

It's an interesting phenomena if you ask me.

This was from the 2005 Season. The year the OM coined the term "Ugly Win". We rode the ugly win mantra all the way to the AFC Championship game. Good times!

The phenomena hasn't changed.

First ugly win down! :strong:

BroncosMT
09-08-2014, 07:14 AM
The thing that makes me nervous about this team is I feel that we have no "killer" instinct. Meaning when we get a lead and things are going well we get complacent on all sides of the ball especially on defense. We have no sense of keeping the pedal to the metal so to speak. Maybe its just me but i got that sense last year and definitely got that sense last night.

Smiling Assassin27
09-08-2014, 07:15 AM
1. Any win at this level, particularly at home, is satisfying. Then again, you're supposed to win at home, so it's something we have come to expect.

2. No running threat whatsoever. Teams will be daring us to hand the ball off and Montee Ball has shown nothing that would make them regret that decision. He's a straight line runner with some toughness but minimal vision or burst. CJ may be called upon to give this team some kind of run game.

3. Defense is a mixed bag. Seattle would not have let the Colts drive down so easily at the end of the first half and that really should be the defensive standard for this team. The additions were solid and Rahim Moore was a pleasant surprise as a playmaker. Roby grinded out a good grade v some very good talent but also looks like a rookie at times. Chris Harris is a flat out stud and so is Talib. Irving had a very active game and the LB's were flying, even if Von was clearly still not himself. Marshall, Irving, McCray, and Johnson all showed up big time. DL was good. The platoon worked well and it put in the effort last night. Overall, I'd give the Defense a B.

3. WR's were dropping balls they normally do not and they just didn't seem in sync with PFM last night for big stretches of the game. DT, particularly, will be the first to tell you he stunk. Sanders is poised for a huge year and Julius (with the exception of the fumble) is gonna dominate a lot of people. PFM, for his part, didn't seem himself for big chunks of the game--erratic, inaccurate, and unsettled. At least he did not throw any INT's but the offense will need to be better.

ScottXray
09-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Defense was allright.
Offense..did not earn their pay in the second half. Run game was AWFUL!

Biggest worry.....Manning. He looked off, but worse...when the Colts started to come back Manning started PRESSING. The closer they got the WORSE he looked. Mental Pressure definitely was affecting him. Maybe it was just because it was the Colts...they seem to be able to fluster him. But it was not the usual performance we expect from him.

To prevent this from happening the Broncos need to never take the foot off the gas. Fox and GASE...take note.

Kaylore
09-08-2014, 07:51 AM
I wondering how many people notice...

TonyR
09-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Biggest worry.....Manning. He looked off, but worse...when the Colts started to come back Manning started PRESSING.

I'm a huge fan of PM and I mostly defend him against the "losing record in the playoffs" arguments, so I hate to say it, but he does seem to have a bad habit of often appearing to play tentatively when the going gets tough.

Kaylore
09-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Interesting.

I hate seeing how oblivious people are. I bet there's like four more pages added to this thread with people having no clue. This thread is going to be an idiot detector. If you post here thinking this is about last night's game, you will forever be branded an idiot. Pezman hasn't posted in half a decade, for crying out loud.

broncocalijohn
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
This was from the 2005 Season. The year the OM coined the term "Ugly Win". We rode the ugly win mantra all the way to the AFC Championship game. Good times!

The phenomena hasn't changed.

First ugly win down! :strong:

Not sure if you noticed but you also bumped it in 2009 after our miracle win at Cinci. First game without Frown Cannon.

Meck77
09-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Not sure if you noticed but you also bumped it in 2009 after our miracle win at Cinci. First game without Frown Cannon.

What can I say. The "Ugly Win" phenomena is timeless.

SportinOne
09-08-2014, 08:27 AM
I'm a huge fan of PM and I mostly defend him against the "losing record in the playoffs" arguments, so I hate to say it, but he does seem to have a bad habit of often appearing to play tentatively when the going gets tough.

I know what you mean, kind of.. But in this game I don't think that was the case. There were potentially long plays where he just missed his man, and there were drops by his receivers that killed drives.

Let's not forget here, the Colts recovered a damn onside kick. They also went for it on 4th down on their own 29 with about 8 or 9 minutes to play. Some big things had to go the Colts way for them to get back within a touchdown of us and even then, even with a gassed defense that had been on the field almost the entire second half, we closed the door, against perhaps the best comeback QB in the league.

Anyone else willing to take the win and be happy with it?

TonyR
09-08-2014, 08:34 AM
I know what you mean, kind of..

Just disappointing and concerning that the O couldn't get a first down when needed several times in that 2nd half. Agree that the WR's didn't help with some bad drops. But as the leader of the O PM is going to have to shoulder much of the blame. And I haven't seen or heard any quotes from him on the game other than the one below but it's a good bet he's not happy with the performance.

"We've got to find a way to play all four quarters as an offense," Manning said. "Thank goodness the defense picked us up when the offense wasn't doing their job quite as well."http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554273

Rohirrim
09-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Just disappointing and concerning that the O couldn't get a first down when needed several times in that 2nd half. Agree that the WR's didn't help with some bad drops. But as the leader of the O PM is going to have to shoulder much of the blame. And I haven't seen or heard any quotes from him on the game other than the one below but it's a good bet he's not happy with the performance.

"We've got to find a way to play all four quarters as an offense," Manning said. "Thank goodness the defense picked us up when the offense wasn't doing their job quite as well."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554273

What kind of **** is that out of Peyton? Listening to him, you'd think we lost the game!

Chrissy Rules
09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
What kind of **** is that out of Peyton? Listening to him, you'd think we lost the game!

We did...a W is not always a win when it comes to the overall picture. And Peyton knows this.

baja
09-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Defense was allright.
Offense..did not earn their pay in the second half. Run game was AWFUL!

Biggest worry.....Manning. He looked off, but worse...when the Colts started to come back Manning started PRESSING. The closer they got the WORSE he looked. Mental Pressure definitely was affecting him. Maybe it was just because it was the Colts...they seem to be able to fluster him. But it was not the usual performance we expect from him.

To prevent this from happening the Broncos need to never take the foot off the gas. Fox and GASE...take note.

Good take Scott. I noticed the same thing concerning Peyton. I think it is a mental thing with PM. When the momentum shifts to the other team Manning seems to, as you said, start pressing and his throws are off. It's where the general feeling PM wilts in big games when the other team is mounting a strong come back comes from.

Last night we hung on to win, in the super bowl we did not. Seattle was probably going to beat us that day but the blow out part can be attributed to the flaw in Manning's mental game. If he could have Tebow's or Elway's killer instants he would be no question best ever to play the game. If we can get the running on track that would go a long way to covering for this mental weakness of Peyton. He can't do it all by himself all the time we need to give him a solid running game he can lean on from time to time. I think the Broncos know this and will as the season moves forward provide him that need. The problem with the running game last night was all on the O line, they could not open running lanes for the backs. I do hope Hillman can grow up and be a player for us because he is the right type back for Manning's offense if he lives up to his potential. That is why they have put so much coaching work into him.

Garcia Bronco
09-08-2014, 10:49 AM
I thought Pezman was back....damn it

Meck77
09-14-2014, 05:35 PM
The winning ugly dance continues!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E6fS-Z_ly7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroncoFox
09-14-2014, 05:47 PM
The team played AWFUL the last two weeks. We had some moments that were great, but overall, our discipline, our DEFENSE, our running game.. our play-calls.. have just been incredibly lackluster.

I don't know how any real fan could feel comfortable at this point of this season. We've won, but we looked terrible doing so. Our opponents while we were AT HOME, were driving for ties / wins in the waning moments both games. Our second half's have looked awful. Our penalties terrible. Our utter lack of aggressive defensive play frustrating. Our running game underwhelming, with out playcalling not changing anything.. it's as if they think if we just run the same thing 500 times, eventually, it will work.

I'm very happy we've won two games.. but I am not at all happy with how we have looked doing it.

rmsanger
09-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Pass

BroncoFox
09-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Let me put it another way. Last year we looked great (expect in the SB). Having lost the SB, we made several offseason improvements. We also got back a bunch of top tier injured players!

And the net result? We look worse than last year. So yes, some concern. But.. we -do- have the talent to be an amazing team, if our coaching staff / Elway makes those changes. So hope is there.. let's hope they execute.

Requiem
09-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Thread title sounds like a majority of one night stands in college.

"I'll take it!"

gunns
09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
The team played AWFUL the last two weeks. We had some moments that were great, but overall, our discipline, our DEFENSE, our running game.. our play-calls.. have just been incredibly lackluster.

I don't know how any real fan could feel comfortable at this point of this season. We've won, but we looked terrible doing so. Our opponents while we were AT HOME, were driving for ties / wins in the waning moments both games. Our second half's have looked awful. Our penalties terrible. Our utter lack of aggressive defensive play frustrating. Our running game underwhelming, with out playcalling not changing anything.. it's as if they think if we just run the same thing 500 times, eventually, it will work.

I'm very happy we've won two games.. but I am not at all happy with how we have looked doing it.

This is exactly how I've felt. Seems to match Fox's personality. We've got the players on D but it seems as if JDR isn't using them to their fullest potential. I love the 2 wins but looking forward to some of the games coming up, it's very disappointing and unexpected.

Rohirrim
09-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Hey, I may have got the clap, but at least I got laid!

cutthemdown
09-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Broncos still have plenty of time to gell and play better as a team. Lot's of new starters, guys in new positions, a big injury to travethon and Welker being suspended is IMO led to them just not all being on the same page yet.

stopgap
09-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey, I may have got the clap, but at least I got laid!

Great analogy :)