PDA

View Full Version : Cutting and pasting insider reports...

Taco John
08-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey all...

I just wanted to drop a line to warn people that we can no longer cut and paste insider material from other sources. If you have to pay to see it, it shouldn't be cut and pasted on this board. There is a lot of copyright action going on with message boards these days, and sites such as ESPN Insider are putting boards on notice that this activity won't go unpunished. If it's pay content, don't post it. If it's free content, be sure to LINK to it and give them credit! It would be best to just post the intoductory summary (a few paragraphs) and then link to the article. This way, we get the news we want, and they get the traffic that they want. That will keep me out of trouble with them, and it will ensure that we have a site that stays out of courts.

Likewise, please do not cut and paste exculsive insider reports from competing message boards to this forum. If you see an insider report on another Broncos Message board, you are welcome to post a link to that insider report and give a summary of what it is, but please do not cut and paste the material without crediting the site that it came from... Which is the most important part... If you take an insider report from a competing message board, drop a link to their site. They deserve it. We shouldn't be stealing content from other sites, but especially not without giving them a link as credit.

This goes as well for the insider reports that are involved with this site. Please do not cut and paste our insider reports on a competing message board. This is our exclusive content. You are welcome to link to exclusive reports, where people can read them here, but cutting and pasting them in entirety to a competing board creates problems.

Sorry for being uptight about all this, but with the new server comes new responsibilities for me. I need to watch the Orange Mane's back, and I hope you'll do your part to help.

Thanks.

TJ

Ballhawk
08-19-2005, 02:42 PM
and sites such as ESPN Insider are putting boards on notice that this activity won't go unpunished.

TJ

Like the folks at ESPN have actually had an original thought in the last 3 years?

Taco John
08-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Like the folks at ESPN have actually had an original thought in the last 3 years?

I hear ya... Nevertheless, it's their content, and they want you to pay to see it. It does them no good if someone just cuts and pastes it on a public forum. In fact, it makes them very angry...

Mile High Shack
08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
I hear ya... Nevertheless, it's their content, and they want you to pay to see it. It does them no good if someone just cuts and pastes it on a public forum. In fact, it makes them very angry...

......and you wouldn't like them when their angry

http://images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10045000/10045779.jpg

TheReverend
08-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey anyone got ESPN insider to post some stuff for me?

Just kidding TJ...

Rock Chalk
08-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey all...

I just wanted to drop a line to warn people that we can no longer cut and paste insider material from other sources. If you have to pay to see it, it shouldn't be cut and pasted on this board. There is a lot of copyright action going on with message boards these days, and sites such as ESPN Insider are putting boards on notice that this activity won't go unpunished. If it's pay content, don't post it. If it's free content, be sure to LINK to it and give them credit! It would be best to just post the intoductory summary (a few paragraphs) and then link to the article. This way, we get the news we want, and they get the traffic that they want. That will keep me out of trouble with them, and it will ensure that we have a site that stays out of courts.

Likewise, please do not cut and paste exculsive insider reports from competing message boards to this forum. If you see an insider report on another Broncos Message board, you are welcome to post a link to that insider report and give a summary of what it is, but please do not cut and paste the material without crediting the site that it came from... Which is the most important part... If you take an insider report from a competing message board, drop a link to their site. They deserve it. We shouldn't be stealing content from other sites, but especially not without giving them a link as credit.

This goes as well for the insider reports that are involved with this site. Please do not cut and paste our insider reports on a competing message board. This is our exclusive content. You are welcome to link to exclusive reports, where people can read them here, but cutting and pasting them in entirety to a competing board creates problems.

Sorry for being uptight about all this, but with the new server comes new responsibilities for me. I need to watch the Orange Mane's back, and I hope you'll do your part to help.

Thanks.

TJ

Quick way around this is to simply give them credit and only post a portion of the article. I deal with this stuff daily, internet content copyrights that is, and you can post all of an article except one part and you are not infringing on their copyright. Leave the last paragraph out, give the site its credit, and you are good.

**** ESPN anyway.

Odysseus
08-19-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm glad T.J. said something.

Rock Chalk
08-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Here. new announcement.

Anyone wanting an Insider Report on the Donks, PM me and I will send it to you.

Bronco_Beerslug
08-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Quick way around this is to simply give them credit and only post a portion of the article. I deal with this stuff daily, internet content copyrights that is, and you can post all of an article except one part and you are not infringing on their copyright. Leave the last paragraph out, give the site its credit, and you are good.

**** ESPN anyway.
You're absolutely correct on something finally! :)

ESPN ROCKS!!!!!

Rock Chalk
08-19-2005, 04:02 PM
You're absolutely correct on something finally! :)

ESPN ROCKS!!!!!
Somehow I doubt the word you used to describe ESPN and the word I used to describe ESPN are the same word.

Bronco_Beerslug
08-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Somehow I doubt the word you used to describe ESPN and the word I used to describe ESPN are the same word.

I know they're not but I was referring to your take on posting copyright material.

Rock Chalk
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Oh, well, I do it all the time at work and they cant do anything about it.

Now, when the internet laws become more strict, then Google will also be in violation and they will go after them way before me.

Taco John
08-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Here's a great example of how it is best done...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=29111

If we're good neighbors, good things will happen for our community. When other sites get traffic from us, we add value to them, while still getting the news we want.

This is going to become increasingly important for us, as I work to create a dynamic front page here that borrows heavily on the stuff going on here on the boards... If I can get it all pulled together right, it's going to be damn cool.

TheReverend
08-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Here's a great example of how it is best done...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=29111

If we're good neighbors, good things will happen for our community. When other sites get traffic from us, we add value to them, while still getting the news we want.

This is going to become increasingly important for us, as I work to create a dynamic front page here that borrows heavily on the stuff going on here on the boards... If I can get it all pulled together right, it's going to be damn cool.

Is this your full time job, big man?

Taco John
08-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Is this your full time job, big man?

I only wish... :laugh:

TheReverend
08-19-2005, 05:53 PM
I only wish... :laugh:

No need to laugh at me... :vermeil:

Taco John
08-19-2005, 05:58 PM
No, this is hobby... My full time job is as a PR Account Manager for a local Marketing and PR Agency. It's a demanding job, and most of the time I like it... But my dream has always been to work for the Broncos PR department... Problem is, I married a home girl whose family lives in the Portland Oregon area. Moving isn't an option. And I love the woman, so neither is divorce. That's part of the reason why I started this place. I had planned this whole idea in college, when I was taking communications, web development, and media management classes. I've got so many ideas for it, but never enough time to implement them all. Plus, no sponsorship to chase my ideas.

But mostly I do it because I love it and it keeps me sane. It's a great hobby, and who knows what it could turn into someday. But I'm not so worried about someday as I am in today... Or more like tomorrow, when I get to tailgate with Meck77 and meet fellow fans who share my same passions... Former strangers whom I'd have never met if it wasn't for this thing I whipped together and kept feeding... I can go anywhere the Broncos are playing, and meet people who I have already gotten to know through our interactions on the board. It's incredible really... And best of all, you can too! It's an amazing thing, this internet is...

elsid13
08-19-2005, 06:07 PM
No, this is hobby... My full time job is as a PR Account Manager for a local Marketing and PR Agency. It's a demanding job, and most of the time I like it... But my dream has always been to work for the Broncos PR department... Problem is, I married a home girl whose family lives in the Portland Oregon area. Moving isn't an option. And I love the woman, so neither is divorce. That's part of the reason why I started this place. I had planned this whole idea in college, when I was taking communications, web development, and media management classes. I've got so many ideas for it, but never enough time to implement them all. Plus, no sponsorship to chase my ideas.

But mostly I do it because I love it and it keeps me sane. It's a great hobby, and who knows what it could turn into someday. But I'm not so worried about someday as I am in today... Or more like tomorrow, when I get to tailgate with Meck77 and meet fellow fans who share my same passions... Former strangers whom I'd have never met if it wasn't for this thing I whipped together and kept feeding... I can go anywhere the Broncos are playing, and meet people who I have already gotten to know through our interactions on the board. It's incredible really... And best of all, you can too! It's an amazing thing, this internet is...

TJ

IF you're currently crying I will lose all respect for you. Stop getting sappy on us. ;D

TheReverend
08-19-2005, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the life story... just kidding. Congrats one of my good friends does PR for books and is going to be my PR rep when I start my publishing company. Its a great job. Yeah the site is awesome... come to the SD game and tailgate with me and SoCal and the other SoCal Bronco fans.

Taco John
08-19-2005, 06:16 PM
TJ

IF you're currently crying I will lose all respect for you. Stop getting sappy on us. ;D

There's no crying in football!

(crying? Uhh)

elsid13
08-19-2005, 06:35 PM

(crying? Uhh)

Good wouldn't want to provide the internet Woody Hayes on you (stupid smiley things aren't working)

Eli_Cash
08-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Remember some of us have to work at the worldwide leader.

scorpio
08-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Remember some of us have to work at the worldwide leader.

http://www.casual-gamers.de/cg/images/postimages/ban_him_sm.jpg

Kaylore
08-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm glad this was brought up. I often wondered why we didn't have a policy like this when most other boards do.

Bronco9798
08-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm glad this was brought up. I often wondered why we didn't have a policy like this when most other boards do.

Just so you know I copied and pasted your camp reports on BroncosFreak. However, I gave you credit for the reports and posted each thread as "Camp Report -Kaylore -OM" I never took any credit for your reports and always posed your name with them.

We did appreciate the reports. Sorry, if that was out of line. Won't do it again. But your reports were awesome and people at the Freak were very appreciative, inlcuding me.

Again thanks for the reports and sorry if I crossed the line.

Bronco9798!!

24champ
08-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Here. new announcement.

PM coming your way..... ;D

Kaylore
08-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Got this from a Panther board I visit

http://mb14.scout.com/fpanthersinsiderfrm15.showMessage?topicID=2933.top ic

Glenn Nelson, Editor in Chief of Scout.com, asked me to make this statement to you all and make you aware of what we can and cannot do -

"The second most frequent complaint - also on the rise - is the practice of members of website communities copying and pasting copyrighted material found on other media into posts on message boards. This also is a copyright violation. It often is permissible to link to such material, but not always. Please police your message boards for such violations and warn your users against such practices. If there are ever any questions, contact the originating medium for permission.

Copyrights is an issue we must take seriously - to respect the copyrights of others as much as defending our own. If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask." -- Glenn Nelson

Sodak
08-19-2005, 11:58 PM

(crying? Uhh)

Unless you're watching an NFL hall of fame induction ceremony.

Bronco in TN.
08-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Okay, let me get this straight. I understand copying and pasting legit "insider" info from pay sites like ESPN's insider.

But does this include so-called-insiders like wabbitt and just any old "insider" post on here? You know, something that is free?

For example, if I copy a portion or all of someone's post and post it on another forum, is that what you're cracking down on?

OrangeForceOne
08-20-2005, 12:34 AM

Yeah, we're growing, and we need to be good neighbors, especially if we want other people to be good neighbors to us...

I don't think we'll run into problems if we follow Reverend Timberlake's ( ;) ) example I linked before... That will help us get the news we want while giving them the traffic they deserve.

Bronco in TN.
08-20-2005, 12:38 AM

You're kidding me?

Is there a pay area on this site? If so then you've got an argument, but if not this is a silly rule. I'm not saying a little acknowledgment wouldn't be warranted, but come on. Getting bent out of shape for someone re-posting something from here or vice-versa is ridiculous.

Taco John
08-20-2005, 03:18 AM
I'd probably think the same thing if I wasn't paying the bills.

Taco John
08-20-2005, 03:43 AM
In fact, I know I'd think the same thing if I wasn't paying the bills... I'm all free-love screw the man hippie like that.

Until I'm the man scrawling the check to the server company... :contract:

Bronco9798
08-20-2005, 09:04 AM
In fact, I know I'd think the same thing if I wasn't paying the bills... I'm all free-love screw the man hippie like that.

Until I'm the man scrawling the check to the server company... :contract:

Thanks for the return of my reply box, I missed it!!!

-Slap-
08-20-2005, 11:06 AM
This is only common courtesy. I'm glad the people responsible for their own original content will get the credit (or blame) where its due.

One of my pet peeves around here is when someone copies the text of an article without any mention of the author's name whatsoever. This is extremely tacky and disrespectful. Its also borderline plagiarism.

DB-Freak
08-20-2005, 11:11 AM
This is only common courtesy. I'm glad the people responsible for their own original content will get the credit (or blame) where its due.

One of my pet peeves around here is when someone copies the text of an article without any mention of the author's name whatsoever. This is extremely tacky and disrespectful. Its also borderline plagiarism.
You know I was wondering about Mock.

I remember you and several people giving him a hard time with one his posts involving an article(not the first time, but......).

What was that about?

Rascal
08-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Why would anybody want ESPN insider anyway?

I can sum it up for you:

Broncos suck. NE, Ron Mexico, Brett Favre, Baltimore's D, and anybody else near the west cost rocks.

Kaylore
08-20-2005, 02:54 PM

There's nothing borderline about it.

orangefan56
08-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

OrangeShadow
08-20-2005, 03:16 PM
i did that quite often. guess i wont be doing that now

-Slap-
08-20-2005, 05:18 PM
There's nothing borderline about it.
You're right.

TheReverend
08-20-2005, 05:24 PM
You're right.

So are you.

cowboy
08-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Just so you know I copied and pasted your camp reports on BroncosFreak. However, I gave you credit for the reports and posted each thread as "Camp Report -Kaylore -OM" I never took any credit for your reports and always posed your name with them.

We did appreciate the reports. Sorry, if that was out of line. Won't do it again. But your reports were awesome and people at the Freak were very appreciative, inlcuding me.

Again thanks for the reports and sorry if I crossed the line.

Bronco9798!!

Just so you all know I told him not to do it, but he didnt listen to me. His punishment should be that he has to go to the Raiders site and scout for us.

Bronco9798
08-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Just so you all know I told him not to do it, but he didnt listen to me. His punishment should be that he has to go to the Raiders site and scout for us.

What are you doing over here? LMAO. ::)

cowboy
08-21-2005, 03:20 PM
What are you doing over here? LMAO. ::)

Field trip

Bronx33
08-21-2005, 03:43 PM
TJ where can i donate again?

-Slap-
08-21-2005, 04:49 PM
So are you.
So there.

Bronco9798
08-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Field trip

Ok we need to get HD and Harold and look around the lounge. They call it something else over here. That place needs some spark. I think we can turn it around. Nobody is ever in there.

Taco John
08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
TJ where can i donate again?

:)

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=9094

clint7
08-22-2005, 05:13 PM
So much for my weekly dose of "Penthouse Forum Insider" (sigh)

-Slap-
08-22-2005, 06:31 PM
So much for my weekly dose of "Penthouse Forum Insider" (sigh)
Okay, I'll confess, the letters I send in are real.

Rock Chalk
08-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Okay, I'll confess, the letters I send in are real.
HOw amusing.

Odysseus
08-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Here. new announcement.

ANYONE want to cut and paste any football news and send it to me just SEND IT!

Thanks in advance