PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith Appreciation thread

Odysseus
05-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Part of the SoCalBronco posse!

Post up some Rod Smith quotes. I know we got some Rod haters out there. Save your teary eyed complaining for another thread. This is just for saying thanks for his dedication and leadership.

Here are some interesting numbers to consider:Rod needs 677 to beat Shannon Sharpe for most team receptions: He is at 633

Rod needs to beat 55 TD to be ahead of Shannon Sharpe for most team TDs. (95-03)

Rod is second in team history 95-97 best average per punt return behind Darrien Gordon 12.29 vs. 12.46

Rod has most total yards from scrimmage1994-2003 8,940 ahead of TD @ 8,887

Rod is third in teams history for most combined yards 9,455. He is behind Phil Upchurch 10,081 and Floyd Little 12,157.

Rod has scored 12 TD's in a year making him third after Watson 13 and Miller 14.
(I'd like to see Rod take Miller out!)

Rod has most consecutive game with a reception 1999-2003 -- 76 Ed is number two with 68.

Guess what? The most consecutive games with a touchdown is 6. Why can't one of our current guys beat that?

FYI: Clinton Portis got 1,905 yards in 2003. I would love to Tatum Bell break 2,000 or get a Pro Bowl nomination. Clinton got 1,508 in his rookie campaign.
Best rushing average for 5.50 yards per carry. (TD 4.60 in 95-01) Clinton got 29 TD in 02-03 - I would love to see Bell stop talking and start tearing these numbers off the boards.

(information from www.denverbroncos.com)
-------------Rod Smith Sig---------------------------------------------
Smith has taken Watts under his wing during the Broncos' offseason workout program. So what does he expect from Watts in his sophomore season?

"He's going to have a big year," Smith said. "His fear of failure is amazing. That's what will drive him. I know, because it's the same thing that drives me." ...

Smith, on the horde of Browns D-linemen-turned-Broncos: "I like their mentality. It's like they got released from jail or something. They didn't bring their baggage. They left it at the airport in Cleveland." ...

Florida_Bronco
05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Good post. Rod has always been one of my favorite Broncos and he's definetly a great guy as well.

Thank you Rod!

SoCalBronco
05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Rod is unquestionably the heart and soul of this team. Good to see him getting props.

SoCalBronco
05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Hot Rod, baby!

http://home.pages.at/romanotti/Rod%20Smith.jpg

F**kOakland
05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Best player in the league with regards to HEART and determination.

The Soul of this team, where Rod goes the Broncos follow.

He is one of the most valuable elements of this team. Such a presence!

He can really rally the troops and bring back the pride to this up and coming offense!!!

OBF1
05-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Keep up the excellent work Rod and thanks for the many autographs. He takes the time and signs after every single game.

If we only had a team full of players with his love for the game and his work ethic!!!

Rock Chalk
05-11-2005, 09:25 PM
You da man Rod.

Champbaileystopsmoss
05-11-2005, 09:27 PM
In Rod We Trust!!

TheNextStep
05-11-2005, 09:41 PM
I like Rod Smith. He's quiet, productive, has overcome adversity, and doesn't believe his own press clippings.

But Chris Cooper could SO kick Rod's ass. ;)

-Slap-
05-11-2005, 10:18 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/image/13199/rod131.jpg http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/image/13199/smith131.jpg

Bronco LB 59
05-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Rod Smith is the third greatest offensive player in team history and he's easily a top five player of all-time.

Pendejo
05-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Rod Smith is the third greatest offensive player in team history and he's easily a top five player of all-time.

Who do you have at #2...Sharpe, or T.D?

Atlas
05-11-2005, 10:41 PM

Norris Weese is #2

Bronco LB 59
05-11-2005, 11:54 PM

Career value, Sharpe is #2.

Peak value, TD.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
05-12-2005, 12:05 AM
To bad he doesn't come to the site Or I'd give him all my rep points.

MT-Tdawg
05-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Rod's the man. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

SouthStndJunkie
05-12-2005, 12:53 AM
He ranks as my second favorite Bronco of all-time and that is saying a lot.

SSJ

Kaylore
05-12-2005, 02:08 AM
Part of the SoCalBronco posse!

Post up some Rod Smith quotes. I know we got some Rod haters out there. Save your teary eyed complaining for another thread. This is just for saying thanks for his dedication and leadership.

Here are some interesting numbers to consider:Rod needs 677 to beat Shannon Sharpe for most team receptions: He is at 633

Rod needs to beat 55 TD to be ahead of Shannon Sharpe for most team TDs. (95-03)

Rod is second in team history 95-97 best average per punt return behind Darrien Gordon 12.29 vs. 12.46

Rod has most total yards from scrimmage1994-2003 8,940 ahead of TD @ 8,887

Rod is third in teams history for most combined yards 9,455. He is behind Phil Upchurch 10,081 and Floyd Little 12,157.

Rod has scored 12 TD's in a year making him third after Watson 13 and Miller 14.
(I'd like to see Rod take Miller out!)

Rod has most consecutive game with a reception 1999-2003 -- 76 Ed is number two with 68.

Guess what? The most consecutive games with a touchdown is 6. Why can't one of our current guys beat that?

FYI: Clinton Portis got 1,905 yards in 2003. I would love to Tatum Bell break 2,000 or get a Pro Bowl nomination. Clinton got 1,508 in his rookie campaign.
Best rushing average for 5.50 yards per carry. (TD 4.60 in 95-01) Clinton got 29 TD in 02-03 - I would love to see Bell stop talking and start tearing these numbers off the boards.

(information from www.denverbroncos.com)
-------------Rod Smith Sig---------------------------------------------
Smith has taken Watts under his wing during the Broncos' offseason workout program. So what does he expect from Watts in his sophomore season?

"He's going to have a big year," Smith said. "His fear of failure is amazing. That's what will drive him. I know, because it's the same thing that drives me." ...

Smith, on the horde of Browns D-linemen-turned-Broncos: "I like their mentality. It's like they got released from jail or something. They didn't bring their baggage. They left it at the airport in Cleveland." ...
:militia: :militia:

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 03:27 AM
Moss Quote:
Randy Moss, explaining the no-look, over-the-shoulder lateral to Moe Williams for a 59-yard touchdown: "It' a once-in-a-lifetime thing that only happens every so often."

Rod's Quote:
Rod Smith, when asked if he had ever seen a similar play to the Randy Moss to Moe Williams, no-look, over-the-shoulder lateral play: "Yeah, on PlayStation."

---A humorous pause for effect...

Other football notables:
Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner: "I'm a firm believer that all sports will eventually be global. Someday, we may have a quarterback from China named Yao Fling."

John Lynch, Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety, commenting on the Budweiser beer commercials featuring the me-first football player Leon: "Great commercials during the game. Especially like the Budweiser one with Keyshawn...I mean Leon."

Marvin Lewis, suggesting that coaches should be able to add monikers on players uniforms, like "He Hate Me" during training camp, he suggested the following examples: "He Doesn't Listen,"; He Jumps Offsides"; and "He Can't See."

Jeff Gordon, St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer, commenting on the poor attendance at Arizona Cardinal games: "If Marc Bulger throws an interception in Sun Devil Stadium and nobody is there to see it, is it still an interception?"

George Will: "Football incorporates the two worst elements of American society: violence punctuated by committee meetings.

George Rogers: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."
Big Daddy Lipscomb: "I just wrap my arms around the whole backfield and peel 'em one by one until I get to the ball carrier. Him I keep."

Lincoln Kennedy, Oakland Raiders tackle, on his decision not to vote: "I was going to write myself in, but I was afraid I'd get shot."

Jim Finks, when asked after a loss what he thought of the officiating: "I'm not allowed to comment on lousy referees."

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 03:31 AM
FYI: Shannon has 55 recieving touchdowns. Rod has 52. Caught it!

Northman
05-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Thanks a lot Rod, you are definitely a class act and a fantastic player.

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 03:33 AM
Broncos WR Rod Smith on Broncos strength coach Rich Tuten, whose sled drill takes mental and physical strength to complete: "I kind of question his mental state. He can be like the Stephen King of coaching. Sometimes I just shake my head and look at him: 'You need a hug, don't you? Your wife ain't giving you enough hugs. I'm going to have to talk to her.' "

More Smith on the 185-to-220-pound sled, which players must push for 50 yards and is so tough to move that distance because its design forces players into a conventional blocking stance: "It tests your character, it tests what's inside because there's no cheating. You can do whatever you want to do, but you've got to get it 50 yards on your own. There's nothing else you can do. It tests your heart. Sometimes you're going to stop, but you've just got to finish it.''

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Why Rod is not doing punt returns anymore? His average of 21.2 ypc went down to 10.1 -- Who do you know 11 years in the league even doing PR?

They said Rod was done in 2003 because he got 845 yards. In 2004 he got 1144. His yards went down because he's a team player. Remember this stat when Watts starting doing well. ROD IS A TEAM PLAYER. I frankly want to see him evolve more into a possession reciever and get these young kids taking the hits. Let Rod play until the wheels fall off.

In 2003 and 1998 he had 118% QB rating. Not impressive? I'm glad that got Champ Bailey in here before coach was going to try him out at CB.

FYI: If you want to know why I'm posting about Rod it's his birthday on the 15th. He'll be 29.....again.

Happy Birthday Rod Smith...probably the only Bronco player without a home page.

Kaylore
05-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Broncos WR Rod Smith on Broncos strength coach Rich Tuten, whose sled drill takes mental and physical strength to complete: "I kind of question his mental state. He can be like the Stephen King of coaching. Sometimes I just shake my head and look at him: 'You need a hug, don't you? Your wife ain't giving you enough hugs. I'm going to have to talk to her.' "

I remember Shanahan was asked about this last pre-season druing a press conference. He said that sometimes he'd see the entire receiving corps out there pushing sleds, designed to improve your blocking ablilty, and think "What's that all about? Why do my receivers need to push those sleds?" Then he'd look and see coach Tuten with this wicked grin on his face. "That man is sick." He said. It got a good laugh.

watermock
05-12-2005, 03:53 AM
He is a fine player, and probably HOF IMO.

Elway will drag him in. Who can forget this TD against Atlanta.

Your talking about an undrafted Free Agent here.

One of the things I like about Rod Smith is he's frugal. He's not a bling bling type.

He's more of a pack rat I imagine, looking forward.

He has been a fine player for the Broncos for a decade. Hopefully, Elway can drag him in. Sharpe is in, but Rod Smith deserves it more from a Bronco Fan perspective.

Broncos4Life
05-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Rods old school. I loved that catch against the falcons in the SB. One of my favorite catches he's made in more recent years is the one in 2003 at home against the Steelers in the corner of the endzone. Give us many more Rod.
http://www.chargers.com/photo_gallery/2004/Week_13/017.jpghttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/superbowl/32/photogallery/broncos/images/Smith.LRG.JPG

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/Top%20Stories/2003/smith_101203.jpghttp://espn.go.com/media/photo/1999/january/31/r_smithg.jpg

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 05:06 AM
When did Rod become Mr dependable? Wasn't this the same guy that was called "Hands of stone"? Don't remember. I just remember one year I was eating crow and it tasted gooood. Go Rod Go!

I want to see Rod out there three years from now just because he could do it. Imagine the numbers he could put up? I wonder if he can sneak in the hall for just being too reliable to quit?

DarkHorse30
05-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Rod Smith is a great WR. The SB touchdown vs. Atlanta was awesome, but I'll never forget his first catch against the 'skins. At the time Denver had been trying to get a solid WR for years. After one catch, the jury was out...."we got one".

I am also impressed with how much he cares about the fans. I was at a game about 3 years ago, and although it was a tough loss, he and Shannon were out signing autographs for a good 30 minutes before going home. The guy appreciates where he is, and he has earned every penny. Watts and Lelie are lucky to be able to study from one of the best all-around WRs the west has seen.

WaffleBoy
05-12-2005, 08:48 AM
I'll go with this guy over Rod. They don't come any tougher and physical than this guy.

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2004/12/23/05/04_JAX_Wardsmall_48949.jpg

The Boy Wonder :super:

Atlas
05-12-2005, 08:52 AM
When did Rod become Mr dependable? Wasn't this the same guy that was called "Hands of stone"? Don't remember. I just remember one year I was eating crow and it tasted gooood. Go Rod Go!

I want to see Rod out there three years from now just because he could do it. Imagine the numbers he could put up? I wonder if he can sneak in the hall for just being too reliable to quit?

Rod has battled the droppsies his whole career and has overcame them. Hard work and dedication. A perfect example for Watts and Lelie.

bronco militia
05-12-2005, 09:14 AM
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/DB1101eight.jpg

bronco militia
05-12-2005, 09:15 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3125652_7_2.jpg

bronco militia
05-12-2005, 09:16 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/Top%20Stories/2004/smith_rod_041107-2.jpg

bronco militia
05-12-2005, 09:17 AM
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/DB1108fifteen.jpg

bronco militia
05-12-2005, 09:18 AM
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/DB1129fifteen.jpg

jonny1
05-12-2005, 09:20 AM
I'll go with this guy over Rod. They don't come any tougher and physical than this guy.

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2004/12/23/05/04_JAX_Wardsmall_48949.jpg

Who cares.

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 09:22 AM

you freakin' jackmother

this is a thread about rod

go take your steeler spooge somewhere else

Alkazar
05-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Sorry Waffle but I wouldn't take any other WR than Rod. While there may be more skilled people available you can't beat the over all package that Rod is, a consistent reliable receiver, tough for the long haul, and no super ego. Give me Rod or give me death!

dbfan4life
05-12-2005, 11:34 AM

The other day I was wondering to myslef how a Broncos fan can accumulate so much neg rep....never mind....question answered.

bronco militia
05-12-2005, 11:36 AM
The other day I was wonering to myslef how a Broncos fan can accumulate so much neg rep....never mind....question asnwered.

bwhahahahah!! waffle a bronco fan?

bwhahahahaha!!

dbfan4life
05-12-2005, 12:11 PM
bwhahahahah!! waffle a bronco fan?

bwhahahahaha!!

Well, I thought he was once, then I read a post that made me think he might not be. Finally, I decided it would be easier to call him a fan than to risk calling him a non-fan and pissing him off. You know what...all this thinking is making me want to :gus:

bloodsunday
05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/DB1129fifteen.jpg
That's the one. That was awesome. I was on that side of the field watching him high step so he didn't get tripped.

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Waffle is like the male Oprah Winfrey of the Orange Mane. He starts crap he can't finish, asks questions where there is no answer, and despite being intelligent proves beyond a shadow of a doubt there are many flavors of pure stupid.

I'll tell you the truth Darryl Gardener was not the IHOP. He was at the Waffle house.

bloodsunday
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM

He may be better than Rod today, but he couldn't hold the jock of Rod five years ago.

Seriously, there are few players that have passed these hallowed grounds that I respect more than Rod. I put Rod near the top not only for his work as a Bronco but for the fact that he lives here and contributes to the community. Rod has worked for everything that has come his way. Shannon was great player, but he just disappeared in the offseason. Then he pulled that punk-ass sh*t on Cyrius Radio this offseason that I thought was low-rent.

SoCalBronco
05-12-2005, 12:48 PM

So how does Heath Miller taste? About as salty as you expected or not?

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Some of Rod's best plays were in the first Superbowl. I wish that I could watch tape to see which plays they were. Good stuff.

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=rec&sort=ypg&league=nfl&season=2&year=2004

How come we have two 1,000 yard recievers and nobody is talking that up? Oh. Yeah. That we ain't did or that thing. Got it!

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 01:05 PM
So how does Heath Miller taste? About as salty as you expected or not?

probably depends if it's before or after practice

bloodsunday
05-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Some of Rod's best plays were in the first Superbowl. I wish that I could watch tape to see which plays they were. Good stuff.
I recorded it on DVD, pretty sweet.

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I recorded it on DVD, pretty sweet.

Rod scores the touchdown and he is running backwards from a defender who had been in his face all day. I can't remember the context.

I think it was in support of a catch that Shannon had made earlier against the Chiefs. It was the only catch Shannon made that game. It was sweet revenge. I think Ed had gotten himself creamed a play earlier and Rod was putting a fine tip to the point.

Did I remember this correctly?

WaffleBoy
05-12-2005, 02:11 PM
He may be better than Rod today, but he couldn't hold the jock of Rod five years ago.

Seriously, there are few players that have passed these hallowed grounds that I respect more than Rod. I put Rod near the top not only for his work as a Bronco but for the fact that he lives here and contributes to the community. Rod has worked for everything that has come his way. Shannon was great player, but he just disappeared in the offseason. Then he pulled that punk-ass sh*t on Cyrius Radio this offseason that I thought was low-rent.

Ward has been better than Rod, without a HOF qb throwing to him until Big Ben. ;D

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Since 1998 Rod has 620 catches for 8203 yards and 44 TDs

Hines has had 505 catches for 6055 yards and 41 TDs

So who is better jackass?

and Elway was his last good QB really and that was 1998

he had career years with SOB for crying out loud

WaffleBoy
05-12-2005, 03:14 PM

Please, Griese was alot better than Kordella.

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Please, Griese was alot better than Kordella.

not by much at all, Kordell can at least "win" a playoff game--face it, your argument got punked

Rod has better numbers

WaffleBoy
05-12-2005, 03:16 PM
not by much at all, Kordell can at least "win" a playoff game

Well, at least Griese is still a productive starter.

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Well, at least Griese is still a productive starter.

WaffleBoy
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM

Hines wasn't a starter for his 1st couple of seasons... if you are counting Rod's numbers from '98 compared with Ward's.

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Hines wasn't a starter for his 1st couple of seasons... if you are counting Rod's numbers from '98 compared with Ward's.

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Those are some pretty good numbers. Rod is still putting up good numbers. I think his numbers will decline if Watts gets more balls but if the team wins more that is a good thing. Rod is a great team player, leader and influencer. I can't find a single Hines Ward quote of note. I guess there aren't any.

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Those are some pretty good numbers. Rod is still putting up good numbers. I think his numbers will decline if Watts gets more balls but if the team wins more that is a good thing. Rod is a great team player, leader and influencer. I can't find a single Hines Ward quote of note. I guess there aren't any.
Give me a choice of Rod in his prime and Ward right now

I’d take Rod 100/100 times

Pendejo
05-12-2005, 03:43 PM

I agree with that. But I'd take either one of them in a heartbeat if for some reason the other was unavailable.

WaffleBoy
05-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Which receiver do you think could have played for the 70s Steelers? zowie!

Mile High Shack
05-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Which receiver do you think could have played for the 70s Steelers? zowie!

you ever see Rod block before you spooge all over Hines' blocking ability?

Rod is just as good of a blocker.......

broncos love
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Rod Smith is the true meaning of a team player and im just glad I got to watch his whole career with the denver broncos the only team in the nfl too me. Undrafted and from a small town only a hour from me im proud to say rod worked his ass off for everthing he got... Good job Rod Smith and it will be a sad day when you retire

Clockwork Orange
05-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Which receiver do you think could have played for the 70s Steelers?

Neither. Rod & Ward aren't on the juice so they wouldn't have fit in at all.

FADERPROOF
05-12-2005, 08:55 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/Top%20Stories/2004/smith_rod_040821.jpg

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/02preview_broncos.jpg

3 guys couldn't even bring him down
http://www.draftdaddy.com/images/players/rodSmith.jpg

Odysseus
05-12-2005, 10:34 PM
The undrafted: They're worth a close look

By Sporting News - SportingNews

Perhaps you shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss that long list of names -- in agate type -- signed by your favorite team. A great many undrafted free agents have made it big in the NFL. Here are a whole bunch of 'em -- in small type because they deserve your focus:

ADVERTISEMENT

Chiefs RB Priest Holmes, FB Tony Richardson, C Casey Wiegmann, G Brian Waters and S Sammy Knight; Cardinals QB Kurt Warner; Panthers QB Jake Delhomme; Titans WR Drew Bennett; Broncos WR Rod Smith; Chargers TE Antonio Gates; Lions TE Marcus Pollard; Colts C Jeff Saturday; Browns G Joe Andruzzi; Bears DE Adewale Ogunleye; Vikings DT Pat Williams; Bills LB London Fletcher; Giants LB Antonio Pierce.

Pretty impressive, huh?

Arkie
05-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm proud that he is from my state. Rod gets my deepest respect for a man that went undrafted and made the most of himself. Nothing was given to him. He had to earn it.

Clockwork Orange
05-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Here's something for the younger players.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/0c/b5/e3_1_b.JPG

That's how you sign an autograph.

Gorgeous signature, perfectly legible, with his jersey number added on. It doesn't get any better than that.

Odysseus
05-13-2005, 12:14 PM
• In 2004, Smith became one of 20 players in NFL history to record 700 career receptions (712 catches – 9,772 yds.) in Denver’s game at K.C. (12/19), passing Gary Clark (699 catches) for 20th on the NFL’s all-time receptions list.
• Smith became the Broncos’ franchise leader in receptions (712) and touchdown catches (59) as he passed Shannon Sharpe in both categories with three catches for 29 yards (9.7 avg.) and one touchdown vs. Hou. (11/7).
• Smith’s team-high 1,144 receiving yards ranked seventh in the AFC while his 79 receptions also led the Broncos and ranked ninth in the AFC.
• The veteran posted his seventh 1,000-yard season in 2004, a franchise best.
• He hauled in a career-long 85-yard touchdown vs. Oak. (11/28) that marked the eighth-longest passing play in team history despite the snowy conditions.
• He became only the second Bronco in team history to top 200 receiving yards in a game with 208 yards vs. Atl. (10/31), and he totaled the second-highest single-game receiving total in Denver history that day while also becoming the first Bronco ever and the fourth player in the last 10 years to post 100 or more yards receiving in each half of a game (107 yds. in the first half / 101 yds. in the second half).
• His career-high 208 receiving yards vs. Atl. (10/31), which marked the highest single-game receiving output in the NFL this season, included an 80-yard touchdown catch that tied him with Shannon Sharpe for the Broncos’ all-time lead in career touchdowns (55) and also was his regular-season career long for a reception.
• With 50 yards receiving at Cin. (10/25), Smith became one of 31 players with more than 9,000 career receiving yards and the only undrafted player to accomplish that feat.
• Smith’s 690 receptions and 9,383 receiving yards since 1997 rank second and third, respectively, among active NFL receivers, and his 56 touchdown catches rank fourth most during that period.
• Smith moved into seventh-place all-time in Broncos scoring (passing Shannon Sharpe) vs. S.D. (9/26) and finished the regular season with 374 career points.
• He has caught at least one pass in a franchise-record 91 consecutive games.
• In playing at Oak. (10/17), Smith moved past Haven Moses for most games played by a receiver in team history and appeared in 151 games with the Broncos.
• He led the Broncos and ranked fourth in the AFC (7th in NFL) in punt-return average with a 10.1 avg. on 22 returns for 223 yards.
• Smith was selected by his teammates as an offensive co-captain along with quarterback Jake Plummer.

Alkazar
05-13-2005, 12:18 PM
• In 2004, Smith became one of 20 players in NFL history to record 700 career receptions (712 catches – 9,772 yds.) in Denver’s game at K.C. (12/19), passing Gary Clark (699 catches) for 20th on the NFL’s all-time receptions list.
• Smith became the Broncos’ franchise leader in receptions (712) and touchdown catches (59) as he passed Shannon Sharpe in both categories with three catches for 29 yards (9.7 avg.) and one touchdown vs. Hou. (11/7).
• Smith’s team-high 1,144 receiving yards ranked seventh in the AFC while his 79 receptions also led the Broncos and ranked ninth in the AFC.
• The veteran posted his seventh 1,000-yard season in 2004, a franchise best.
• He hauled in a career-long 85-yard touchdown vs. Oak. (11/28) that marked the eighth-longest passing play in team history despite the snowy conditions.
• He became only the second Bronco in team history to top 200 receiving yards in a game with 208 yards vs. Atl. (10/31), and he totaled the second-highest single-game receiving total in Denver history that day while also becoming the first Bronco ever and the fourth player in the last 10 years to post 100 or more yards receiving in each half of a game (107 yds. in the first half / 101 yds. in the second half).
• His career-high 208 receiving yards vs. Atl. (10/31), which marked the highest single-game receiving output in the NFL this season, included an 80-yard touchdown catch that tied him with Shannon Sharpe for the Broncos’ all-time lead in career touchdowns (55) and also was his regular-season career long for a reception.
• With 50 yards receiving at Cin. (10/25), Smith became one of 31 players with more than 9,000 career receiving yards and the only undrafted player to accomplish that feat.
• Smith’s 690 receptions and 9,383 receiving yards since 1997 rank second and third, respectively, among active NFL receivers, and his 56 touchdown catches rank fourth most during that period.
• Smith moved into seventh-place all-time in Broncos scoring (passing Shannon Sharpe) vs. S.D. (9/26) and finished the regular season with 374 career points.
• He has caught at least one pass in a franchise-record 91 consecutive games.
• In playing at Oak. (10/17), Smith moved past Haven Moses for most games played by a receiver in team history and appeared in 151 games with the Broncos.
• He led the Broncos and ranked fourth in the AFC (7th in NFL) in punt-return average with a 10.1 avg. on 22 returns for 223 yards.
• Smith was selected by his teammates as an offensive co-captain along with quarterback Jake Plummer.

How could anyone NOT want a player like this on thier team?

RaiderH8r
05-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Bottom line is Rod Smith is the type of player I wish all nfl'ers could be. He busts his ass. He works harder than anyone on the field. Started on the practice squad and flat out worked his way to the pro bowl. Nothing was ever given to him, including the talent level that the Moss's of the world exist on. Rod elevates his play and the play of those around him by his attitude and work ethic. He's the kind of guy you don't want to let down. He is a workhorse blocker and no prima donna. TD said on numerous occasions that his long runs happened because when he got through the first level he had Easy Ed and Rod Smith busting their asses to block on the second level giving TD the step he needed to pull away. Here's to you Rod, Thanks for the years and hard work. Hines Ward can lick my taint...Rod has proven what kind of player he is, we'll see about Ward.

Odysseus
05-14-2005, 02:35 PM
15th - Happy Birthday Rod Smith!

Rock Chalk
05-14-2005, 02:41 PM
With 50 yards receiving at Cin. (10/25), Smith became one of 31 players with more than 9,000 career receiving yards and the only undrafted player to accomplish that feat.

That says it all.

Odysseus
05-14-2005, 02:59 PM
---December 16, 2004:

Rod Smith Nominated for NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year

By Kelly Brown
Denver Broncos Community Development

Rod Smith was named as one of thirty-two finalists—one player from each NFL team—for the 2004 title of NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year. The Man of the Year award is the NFL’s most prestigious off-field honor and is the only league honor bestowed on players who demonstrate excellence in their civic and professional responsibilities. The award is given at the end of each season to the NFL player who best provides leadership for his teammates on the gridiron and his fellow citizens in the community.

“It's a great thing,” Rod said of his nomination. “The nomination itself is special because there's only one guy on this team individually and there's only one guy in the entire league. To get named with those guys is an honor and it just proves you're doing something right.”

Rod Smith was selected as the Denver Broncos finalist by committee from a group of nominees that included Jake Plummer, John Lynch, and Al Wilson. Smith’s involvement in the Denver community has touched many lives and spanned nearly a decade. Smith has been the spokesperson for Drive For Life, the annual Denver Broncos Community Blood Drive in partnership with Bonfils Blood Center, since the drive’s inception seven years ago.

“I did it because I like to do things like that as far as helping out in any way and raising awareness and trying to get more people involved,” Rod responded when asked why he became involved with the blood drive. “The more people that are involved the better ideas that you're going to come up with and the better participation that you're going to have.”

In this role, he has done countless work to increase awareness surrounding the importance of blood donation by sharing his own very personal story of his daughter’s battle against sickle cell anemia. Rod has done public service announcements, news packages, donor recruitment, drive appearances and visits to Bonfils Blood Center over the past seven years all in support of growing the largest blood drive in the history of Colorado.

In 1998, Rod started a program called Buff Buddies with Donna Dixon, the clinical nurse for sickle cell disease at the University of Colorado Hospital and Children’s Hospital in Denver. The program is designed as a Big Brothers Big Sisters program and matches first and second year medical students with children suffering from sickle cell disease in a mentoring relationship. Rod’s funding of this program goes toward special education classes for these medical students, preparing them for life with sickle cell patients. They learn what activities they can and cannot participate in with their patients due to limitations of the disease and they learn how to help the kids assimilate into life dealing with their disease.

Rod also hosts special events each year for the Buff Buddies medical student mentors and their sickle cell kids at places like Boondocks recreation center and the Denver Broncos Training Camp. His annual funding of the program also goes toward sickle cell research. Donna Dixon hosts two major fundraisers a year for sickle cell disease and Rod is a participant in both fundraisers every year. This program Rod started six years ago is unprecedented across the country.

Rod has also been very supportive of the Denver Broncos Boys & Girls Club, which opened its doors last August in Montbello. He was there for the grand opening, shooting baskets with the kids and building meaningful bonds. He has since participated in Kids Caravan with the kids from Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Denver; he has made visits to the Club, buying pizza and sodas for the kids and spending time with them and this year, he participated in their largest fundraiser, Youth of the Year, held at INVESCO Field at Mile High on August 28, 2004.

While Rod’s level of commitment and dedication to these causes is unwavering, he credits the overall attitude of the Denver Broncos as a team for some of the motivation and inspiration to continue giving back to the community.

“It's really a matter of the organization believing in a lot of the things that you're doing off the field as far as trying to help other people,” Rod explained. “For me it's something that I've always been willing to do because of my position on this football team. I’ve always been the type to try and help out people and the organization recognizes those efforts that a lot of guys put forth, not just myself. Al Wilson, Jake Plummer, John Lynch, Ashley Lelie, Kenoy Kennedy; a lot of other guys are also contributing the same way I began—starting real early and doing things that they enjoy doing. I'm doing something that I enjoy doing as far as being in a position where you can get people's attention and they can help you, help other people with other causes and things like that.”

The Walter Payton Man of the Year Award has been given annually since 1970 and was renamed in 1999 for the legendary Chicago Bears Pro Football Hall of Fame running back.

The winner will be announced during a Super Bowl press conference on February 4 in Jacksonville, Florida and is selected by an elite panel of judges including NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Sports Illustrated writer Peter King, Connie Payton (wife of the late Walter Payton), and former players Frank Gifford, Jack Kemp, Anthony Munoz, and last year’s award winner, Kansas City Chiefs guard Will Shields. The winner will receive $25,000 to donate to his selected charity. Each finalist will receive a $1,000 contribution towards a charity of his choice.

Hulamau
05-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Rod's a classic

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:38 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:47 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:50 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:53 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:54 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:55 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:55 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:56 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 03:59 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:01 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:02 PM
rare Missouri Southern State University picture...

http://www.mssu.edu/athletics/images/rsmith-ms.jpg

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:05 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:07 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:08 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:12 PM
http://mission.blackfoot.net/STUDENTS/Web%20Pages/Alan/index_files/image008.jpg

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:14 PM

http://www.chargers.com/photo_gallery/2004/Week_13/017.jpg

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:16 PM
16...after beating the *cough* Steelers in the 98 AFC Championship...

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:18 PM

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:20 PM

DB-Freak
05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
http://mission.blackfoot.net/STUDENTS/Web%20Pages/Alan/index_files/image008.jpg
LMFAO

TheManeMan
05-14-2005, 04:26 PM
yeah...i thought i'd slip that in...;D

Odysseus
05-15-2005, 02:20 AM
http://66.49.247.155/BB/showthread.php?p=629496#post629496

Rod Smith compared Terrell Owens thread

Imagine Rod Smith hanging on two years and being talked about for the HOF. I think Rod would be flattered whether he got elected or not. What an honor.

Odysseus
05-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Imagine if Rod Smith was in the league 14 years? He might not make the HOF first ballet but to see him onstage with Elway, Eddie and Shannon...even 20 years from now would be sweet.

Champbaileystopsmoss
12-17-2005, 09:08 PM
(bump) rod is kickin ass tonight!!!!!

OrangeShadow
12-17-2005, 09:13 PM
10 grabs to go to break TO's record

Rocket 7
12-17-2005, 09:31 PM
10 grabs to go to break TO's record
TO needs 3 Super Bowl wins to beat Rod Smith

bronco militia
12-17-2005, 10:03 PM
props to my adopted Donk..

Bronco LB 59
12-17-2005, 10:12 PM
On KOA radio, Rod Smith is giving Ashley Lelie credit for his big play to setup a TD and not really talking about his big game. Typical Rod to deflect attention and give props to his teammates.

Clockwork Orange
12-17-2005, 10:16 PM
What more can you say about Rod? The man just does it all and has been doing it for us for 12 years. He was unreal tonight.

Thanks again #80.

flair
12-17-2005, 10:22 PM
You have to love Rod. Great Game

dbroncos31
12-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Rod is God...even rhymes. and props to Lelie, who made a great adjustment on the ball and came up with a huge catch

watermock
12-17-2005, 10:55 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=2435&dateline=1133849589

The Chefs need to hire this guy....he's cap friendly....Carl and Bill...how could you go wrong?

This is like finding Kurt in the check out isle...

SoCalBronco
12-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Rod was really amazing tonight. Much, much props to "the old man" as Trevor says.

ludo21
12-17-2005, 11:00 PM
thanks rod, great game, and great career!

HOF is wating.

watermock
12-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Rod is God...even rhymes. and props to Lelie, who made a great adjustment on the ball and came up with a huge catch

from the mouths of babes...

that's been the whole problem all along...that was a great catch, but either a horrible throw or something...

every time, it seems like Lelie has to come back or is totally overthrown...

I have seen him caught in stride maybe three times since he's been here, it's ludicrous....

watermock
12-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Why cant we run more posts like a Jerry Rice pattern to Lelie?

We just throw it up to him short..

dbroncos31
12-17-2005, 11:23 PM
by the way, trevor pryce was by far my favorite mic'ed up guy ever...his "we got ya! hahahaha" on their false start was classic.

broncofan
12-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Unbelievable that this threat was bumped. Watching the game at work, all I could think about was coming here and showing some form of appreciation for Rod. This was actually the exact thread title I had in mind. Obviously, someonw else thought of it first...

Rod,
You are one of the best to ever put on a Bronco uniform. You displayed that tonight. Phenomenal performance.

Champbaileystopsmoss
12-18-2005, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=Champbaileystopsmoss]Game notes
Smith has 1,003 yards for the season, breaking the 1,000-yard mark for the eighth time in nine seasons. With 10,775 yards receiving, Smith also moved into 17th place on the NFL career list, ahead of former New England receiver Stanley Morgan. ... Bills running back Joe Burns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6223) scored his first career TD with a 19-yard reception in the final minutes. ... Denver kicker Jason Elam (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2495) kicked four extra points to give him 102 for the year. He became the first NFL player to score 100 points in each of his first 13 seasons. ... Plummer improved to 30-11 since joining the Broncos in 2003.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=251217002

24champ
12-18-2005, 12:12 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/NYDD60812180333.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/NYDD61512180619.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
12-18-2005, 12:18 AM
#80 is da man.

He could end up with over 90 catches this year.

SSJ

watermock
12-18-2005, 12:26 AM
He's ring of fame for sure, and I think worthy of the HOF...I only care about the ring of fame honestly...

Clockwork Orange
12-18-2005, 12:26 AM
He could end up with over 90 catches this year.

Not bad for a guy whose teammates call him "Old Man." :)

dbroncos31
12-18-2005, 12:41 AM
again, trevor pryce was the best mic'ed up ever...he said so many things that made me crack up.

loborugger
12-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Classy guy, undrafted, life long Bronco, good teammate, blocks well, liked by all. What else can you say? He's like the Anti-TO or the Anti-Moss.

Odysseus
12-18-2005, 11:02 AM
I love the guy. It would be great to see him do 1,000 yards next year too.

El Guapo
12-18-2005, 11:09 AM
gotta add...

thanks rod, you are the man. Denver will be lost when you decide to pack it up. :charge:

Bronx33
12-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Yes i admit i love rod smith..:woowoo:

rodr88
12-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Without a doubt Rod is one of the top 10 Bronco players ever. If Moss or TO has Rod's heart and work ethic they would be the greatest of all time. And as great as he is on the field, he's just as good a man off the field.
He's a HOF player and an all together decent human being.
How can a true football fan not love this guy.

Odysseus
12-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Rod is carrying a team. T.O. has gotten tossed off two teams. Next question.

Atlas
12-20-2005, 06:49 AM
funny how this thread was last posted on 2 days ago and it was already back on page 4.

Anyway here is a pretty good article on Smith. The Bailey and Wilson Quotes speak volumes.

Socals link: http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/sp_pro_sports/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19876_4326787,00.html

NFL: Broncos receiver aims to win playoff game
By John Wawrow

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - It'll take a lot more than the Denver Broncos clinching a playoff berth to excite Rod Smith.

The 11-year receiver is already focusing on the Broncos' next goal: Winning a playoff game, something the team hasn't done dating back to its second consecutive Super Bowl title in 1999. Denver has since gone 0-3 in the postseason.

"It means nothing," Smith said early Sunday morning, following Denver's playoff-clinching 28-17 win against the Buffalo Bills. "We're in the playoffs. That's where we wanted to go. . . . We've still got our work cut out."

The victory clinched Denver (11-3) its third straight playoff berth. The Broncos, who host Oakland on Saturday, need a win or a San Diego loss or tie to secure their first AFC West title since 1998 after the Chargers stayed mathematically in the division hunt by upsetting Indianapolis on Sunday.

Denver is on a roll, having won six of seven. The Broncos have won 11 games for the first time since 2000, they lead the AFC's toughest division and have an opportunity to secure one of two first-round playoff byes.

The Bills (4-10) are headed in the opposite direction, closing out their home schedule by losing their fifth straight and seventh of eight.

Like Smith, his Broncos teammates are remaining focused on the bigger picture.

"We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves," cornerback Champ Bailey said.

Added running back Mike Anderson: "It's only the first step."

Coach Mike Shanahan played down the Broncos' success after the team returned to Denver on Sunday afternoon.

"We haven't proven anything yet," Shanahan said. "If you're in this profession long enough, you'll understand there are some darn good football teams in this league. And if you don't step up and play at a certain level, you're not going to improve your record."

While Anderson had 97 yards rushing and two touchdowns against the Bills, Smith provided the spark when the Broncos needed it most.

Smith finished with 11 catches for 137 yards - both season highs - and scored on a key 3-yard touchdown reception late in the second quarter to tie the game at 7. The Broncos offense responded by scoring on its first three possessions in the second half, eventually building a 28-10 lead.

Smith, the Broncos' all-time leading receiver, now has 1,003 yards for the season, breaking the 1,000-yard mark for the eighth time in nine years. With 10,775 yards receiving, Smith also moved into 17th place on the NFL career list, ahead of former New England receiver Stanley Morgan.

Even Denver's defenders credited Smith.

"He's one of the toughest players I've ever played with," Bailey said.

Added linebacker Al Wilson: "I've learned a lot from him. . . . You can't do nothing but follow him."

Billy Clyde Puckett
12-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Wish we had a dozen more like Rod

Atlas
12-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Added linebacker Al Wilson: "I've learned a lot from him. . . . You can't do nothing but follow him."

Have you ever heard praise like that from one player to another???

Billy Clyde Puckett
12-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Have you ever heard praise like that from one player to another???

And someone had a thread questioning the tem leadership

Atlas
12-20-2005, 09:42 AM
And someone had a thread questioning the tem leadership

Who was that? One thing this team has is leadership. I think that will be the deciding factor between the Broncos and Bengals if they meet. Cinncinati players have virtually no playoff experience.

Bronx33
12-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Who was that? One thing this team has is leadership. I think that will be the deciding factor between the Broncos and Bengals if they meet. Cinncinati players have virtually no playoff experience.

Chad does a mean river dance though.

Billy Clyde Puckett
12-20-2005, 09:45 AM

I don't remember who it was or the thread name. It was 3-4 days ago

Clockwork Orange
12-25-2005, 12:03 AM
It is certainly worth mentioning that Rod Smith passed Gary Clark for 16th on the NFL's all-time receptions list today.

Congrats Rod!! :)

Kaylore
12-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Rod is awesom....and so is Lelie. ;D

Rocket 7
09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
bump