PDA

View Full Version : Clarett: "I'm in Denver from day 1":merged

Pages : [1] 2

Eli_Cash
04-24-2005, 03:05 AM
This is gonna make for a long summer...

His personal workout makes the homer say maybe but it just seemed like we reached all day.

If we were gonna reach, I wish it had been Jackson for the red zone options alone.

Next year's draft must be a home run period, but thats next year.

My only other faith is that Bobby Turner has too much of a proven track record.

Bell is my guy this season until I see different.

That being said, I'm very impressed that we finally addressed the special teams return game.
There is no excuse how bad this has been and how many games it has cost.

Explosion in 5,4,3,2,1........

easymobee
04-24-2005, 03:11 AM
There is already a Clarett thread going on.

Here is a pic to enjoy in the meantime.

Vegas_Bronco
04-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Easy MOB...It's late and my stomach isn't as tough at night! YUCK!

Atlas
04-24-2005, 03:22 AM
There is already a Clarett thread going on.

Here is a pic to enjoy in the meantime.

http://www.ertra.com/temp/weekly/fat_lady.jpg

Vegas_Bronco
04-24-2005, 03:28 AM
Taco HELP!!! This stuff has to be banned! It's killing us all...I think, yep - I am going to puke!

Taco John
04-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Personally, I think it's awesome... I think he'll be a great fit for our offense. I don't buy any of the negative hype about this kid. He's a dedicated football player who isn't the character problem that people want to say he is, just because he believed enough in himself to challenge the system. That's exactly the kind of guy that I want on my team. And the misconception that he slowed down because he got fat will be disproven in no time. This kid is a dedicated workout warrior...

"It was a rough one," Clarett told NFL Network. "I've been working so long to get to this day, doing better at practice, and I kind of mess it up. I'm frustrated. I've been working a long time, waking up at 5:30 and going back at 12:30 and then at 7 o'clock, and I totally busted."

This kid is hungry. I think we got a great pick.

BritBronco Maniac
04-24-2005, 04:02 AM
I can't say Clarett was high on my draft wish list, but I am willing to go along with this one based on Denver's RB record.
I think this kid just has received some really bad advice, lets see if the staff can get him straightened out, at least he's fresh! If Dallas were going to take him in the 4th then this wasn't the reach people are making out.
Now taking 3 cb's, that's a different matter...

Popps
04-24-2005, 04:20 AM
I think Shanahan must have intentions on moving Clarett to cornerback. That's the only way I see this pick fitting with our "plan."

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 06:22 AM
...what do you think of the Clarett pick?

With all of the pimping of Bell being the new "Terrel Davis", surely this has to be one of the dumbest picks in Broncos history. Considering you could have drafted him with a 5th or 6th round pick makes it even funnier.

At least when the Chiefs picked LJ, there were injury issues to justify such a pick.

Considering the Bronco fans here have had such a great time making fun of the LJ pick, I wanted to see a few of you squirm and try to spin this.

It probably would be smarter though just to keep your mouths shut on the subject.

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 06:27 AM
They didn't waste a 1st rounder on Clarrett, they wasted a 3rd rounder.

They won't be paying Clarrett 1st round money to ride the bench as the Chefs have been doing with LJ for most of his career. They'll be paying him 3rd round money to ride the bench.

There's a difference, but it's no shock that you were too dense to see it.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 06:29 AM

They won't be paying Clarrett 1st round money to ride the bench as the Chefs have been doing with LJ for most of his career. They'll be paying him 3rd round money to ride the bench.

Yep, I was right. You should have kept your mouth shut.

Do you see any reason to draft Clarett........at all?

Second, how much money would you have paid a 5th round pick?

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 06:37 AM

Second, how much money would you have paid a 5th round pick?

Yawn. Your smack is definitely in offseason form. You should be sharper seeing as you spent the majority of last season hiding under your rock.

As for Clarrett, Bobby Turner saw a reason to draft him. His opinion means a bit more than mine or yours when it comes to running backs seeing as he's managed to turn out nothing but success from the position in his tenure.

I would have liked to have seen another area addressed with the pick (especially since the Broncos saw fit to draft 3 corners with the rest of their picks), but I tend to give the Broncos the benefit of the doubt when it comes to running backs.

But whatever makes you feel better about wasting a 1st rounder on Diaper Boy, have at it.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2005, 06:42 AM
Clarette was a Bobby Turner decision. Shanahan admits this on the Broncos website when talking about Clarette.

DarkHorse
04-24-2005, 06:43 AM
I don't like the pick - i'm not a Clarrett fan but to say he would have been there in 4, 5, 6 - How do you know for certain?

Can you tell me the lottery numbers while your at it?

I love it when people claim to KNOW something that hasn't occurred yet - you sound like such a tool claiming that.

It's POSSIBLE that he MAY have been around in 5 or 6 but we don't KNOW that for sure so we took a flyer on him. Why? I have no idea - that's something the front office decided to do. Nothing we can do about it.

I'm still on the Tatum Bell bandwagon - but don't remember many people claiming he's the next TD. If they did they too are tools.

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 06:45 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=4094

"(Broncos running backs) Coach (Bobby) Turner called me," Clarett said. "I had been keeping in close contact with him and he called me. It was just funny to hear; it was funny to finally get to this point."

It was Turner's communication that helped forge a relationship between the Broncos and the former Buckeyes standout, who hasn't played in a game since the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, during which he scored two touchdowns in a 31-24 Ohio State win.

"Bobby Turner has talked to him for the last couple of years," (Head Coach) Mike Shanahan said. "He is a very smart individual. Bobby's had a relationship with him over the years. He has a good feel for running backs and thinks the world of this kid."

Shanahan gets criticized for plenty of moves (some deservedly so), but Turner's track record is pretty much tip top. We'll see how it plays out.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Yawn. Your smack is definitely in offseason form. You should be sharper seeing as you spent the majority of last season hiding under your rock.

As for Clarrett, Bobby Turner saw a reason to draft him. His opinion means a bit more than mine or yours when it comes to running backs seeing as he's managed to turn out nothing but success from the position in his tenure.

I would have liked to have seen another area addressed with the pick (especially since the Broncos saw fit to draft 3 corners with the rest of their picks), but I tend to give the Broncos the benefit of the doubt when it comes to running backs.

But whatever makes you feel better about wasting a 1st rounder on Diaper Boy, have at it.

My smack is primo, and I was here more last off season than I have been this off season.

If I am reading your back pedal correctly, you are saying that Bell is not the back of the future for the Broncos. You also used the words wasted a 3rd round pick in your previous statement. That does not sound like someone giving the Broncos the benefit of the doubt.

I do appreciate your attempts to at least spar with me on the issue though. Most of your buddies just hide behind the rep button. I applaud your intestinal fortitude.

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 06:46 AM
I don't like the pick - i'm not a Clarrett fan but to say he would have been there in 4, 5, 6 - How do you know for certain?

It's already been reported that Bill Parcells told Clarrett that he was going to take him in the 4th round. So to say that he'd have been there in the 6th round in false.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm still on the Tatum Bell bandwagon - but don't remember many people claiming he's the next TD. If they did they too are tools.

That isn't very nice.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Has anyone actually figured out a reason to draft Clarett at all? Just wondering.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2005, 06:49 AM
My smack is primo, and I was here more last off season than I have been this off season.

If I am reading your back pedal correctly, you are saying that Bell is not the back of the future for the Broncos. You also used the words wasted a 3rd round pick in your previous statement. That does not sound like someone like someone giving the Broncos the benefit of the doubt.

I do appreciate your attempts to at least spar with me on the issue though. Most of your buddies just hide behind the rep button. I applaud your intestinal fortitude.

One thing is for damn sure, the Broncos are LOADED at RB. I'll bet you anything that when the season starts, the Broncos will run the ball well, the only question is, who will be the RB?

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Has anyone actually figured out a reason to draft Clarett at all? Just wondering.

Bobby Turner thinks highly of this kid. That was enough for the Broncos to take a chance on him.

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 06:50 AM

If I am reading your back pedal correctly, you are saying that Bell is not the back of the future for the Broncos. You also used the words wasted a 3rd round pick in your previous statement. That does not sound like someone like someone giving the Broncos the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, you practically lived here last offseason.....and then disappeared once the Chefs started circling the drain. I must applaud your intestinal fortitude.

I call it a waste because there were other positions to fill with that pick. Anttaj Hawthorne, Elton Brown & Adrian McPherson were all still on the board and would have been better choices as far as overall need. If Turner sees something in Clarrett, I'll trust his judgement. But I still would have liked to see the pick used to address another area.

As far as Bell goes, he's got a lot of talent and appears to be the Broncos guy for the right now. But if recent history is any indicator, he'll have a great season or two and be shipped off when he decides he wants a big payday.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 06:54 AM
One thing is for damn sure, the Broncos are LOADED at RB. I'll bet you anything that when the season starts, the Broncos will run the ball well, the only question is, who will be the RB?

Can't argue with that.

They'll be laoded at CB too....I guess.

Meanwhile the O line could perhaps use some consideration as well.

How many Corners will you guys be taking today? Or will you be waiting until after the draft to have an opinion?

DarkHorse
04-24-2005, 06:57 AM
I'll give Turner the benefit of the doubt but i'm not a fan of this kid - haven't been ever.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 06:57 AM
Yes, you practically lived here last offseason.....and then disappeared once the Chefs started circling the drain. I must applaud your intestinal fortitude.

I was here, and you know it. If you are gioing to make it up as you go, it should be funnier. Work on that.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Can't argue with that.

They'll be laoded at CB too....I guess.

Meanwhile the O line could perhaps use some consideration as well.

How many Corners will you guys be taking today? Or will you be waiting until after the draft to have an opinion?

The oline is a concern, but to be quiet frank, the oline has been a concern for the Broncos since Griese was the starting QB. Its not like we haven't discussed this issue for a while.

Hopefully, there aren't any CBs left in the draft for the Broncos to take in the sixth and seventh rounds... but, I won't be suprised if Shanny drafts some midget CB from Southeast Central Utah State in order to fill a special teams need.

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 07:05 AM
I was here, and you know it. If you are gioing to make it up as you go, it should be funnier. Work on that.

I see, so showing up every day during the offseason and then vanishing for weeks at a time during the season is your definition of being here? Whatever feels right to you, I suppose.

clean
04-24-2005, 07:09 AM
At least when the Chiefs picked LJ, there were injury issues to justify such a pick.

"Broncos breakdown: If there is one they like, they certainly should not pass on him. As the Broncos showed last season, it is good to have plenty of running backs, especially when Quentin Griffin is coming off surgery on his right anterior cruciate ligament. Mike Anderson is coming off a missed season because of a groin injury and Tatum Bell has yet to show he can stay on the field between his growing list of impact plays. Bell missed plenty of training camp because of a fractured right middle finger, missed a game in September because of a rib injury and missed a game in October because of a hamstring injury."

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3714081,00.html

Bell also suffered a seperated shoulder.

BritBronco Maniac
04-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Parcells has said he would have taken Clarett in the 4th, so he would have not have been there in the 5th or 6th Crazyhorse
And you are out of your tiny little mind if you think drafting for depth with the final pick of the 3rd round is the same as drafting for depth with a first rounder.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 07:26 AM
"Broncos breakdown: If there is one they like, they certainly should not pass on him. As the Broncos showed last season, it is good to have plenty of running backs, especially when Quentin Griffin is coming off surgery on his right anterior cruciate ligament. Mike Anderson is coming off a missed season because of a groin injury and Tatum Bell has yet to show he can stay on the field between his growing list of impact plays. Bell missed plenty of training camp because of a fractured right middle finger, missed a game in September because of a rib injury and missed a game in October because of a hamstring injury."

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3714081,00.html

Bell also suffered a seperated shoulder.

Perhaps they should have kept Doughns?

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Parcells has said he would have taken Clarett in the 4th, so he would have not have been there in the 5th or 6th Crazyhorse
And you are out of your tiny little mind if you think drafting for depth with the final pick of the 3rd round is the same as drafting for depth with a first rounder.

I dont see us as drafting for depth with our 1st rounder when the carreer of our current RB was in question.

As for the "reach", I guess it is all speculation. I wont argue this point.

Parcells can justify taking Clarett in the 4th. I'm not so sure the Broncos can. The fact that they draft a RB every year will eventually catch up to them. That's one position of need that doesn't get adressed practically every year.

What was the compensation for Droughns?

Ray Finkle
04-24-2005, 07:35 AM
swallow this from ESPN....and no, I still do not like Clarrett...

But it was the Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal) who gave him hopes of being a higher draft choice. Parcells secretly told Clarett he would take him, possibly as high as the fourth round. To Clarett, it was incentive. However, Shanahan offered a better reward by taking him in the third.

"Bill Parcells said he would take him in the fourth," Luchs said. "There have been some teams sneaking around, showing interest. Jerry Jones and Bill put in a lot of time checking it out."

clean
04-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Perhaps they should have kept Doughns?

Some of Rosenhaus' colleagues, however, call him a cancer, a low life and much worse because of how he does business.

Rosenhaus has created such a buzz that Sports Illustrated made him the first agent to appear on its cover a few years ago. His picture was accompanied by the headline, "The most hated man in pro football."

http://www.prosportsgroup.com/SportsAgentNews/Oct2003/News/rosenhaus.htm

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3661263,00.html

In Reuben's case, I prefer to keep the player happy and avoid contentious negotiations with Drew.

DrFate
04-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Personally, I think it's awesome... I think he'll be a great fit for our offense. I don't buy any of the negative hype about this kid. He's a dedicated football player who isn't the character problem that people want to say he is, just because he believed enough in himself to challenge the system. That's exactly the kind of guy that I want on my team. And the misconception that he slowed down because he got fat will be disproven in no time. This kid is a dedicated workout warrior...

What exactly do you base this conclusion on? He wasn't that good at OSU, he hasn't played in 2 years, he was hurt a lot when he was in school, and he is slow.

I'm hungry too. Maybe I'll get drafted today.

:(

NaptownChief
04-24-2005, 08:10 AM
You know what those two fat ladies have in common besides turning on Taco?......They both posted 40 times quicker than Clarrett Jug Head. Hilarious!

CHIEF TEX
04-24-2005, 08:10 AM

Is at any worse to give 3rd round money to a 6th or 7th rounder or to a guy who just gets invited to camp???

You should hope that IF Clorett gets to play he'll shine like Larry Johnson did. I seem to remember L. J. having a couple of HUGE games last year when he got his chance. And I seem to remember one in which the score ended 45-17!

errand
04-24-2005, 08:20 AM

What makes you Chief fans so sure Clarett will be riding the bench?

He's lost the wieght that caused alot of teams to shy away from him.....if he's not a head case, we got a 1st round talent with a 3rd round pick.

Bell was injured early last season, and we don't have Droughns anymore, and Hearst is on his last legs......so I actually think if this kid shows up to play we might have another 1,000 yard RB type trifecta....

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Because of depth.

stoxman
04-24-2005, 08:48 AM
You know what those two fat ladies have in common besides turning on Taco?......They both posted 40 times quicker than Clarrett Jug Head. Hilarious!

LMAO. Funny....but yet, sadly true!

Bob's your Information Minister
04-24-2005, 08:49 AM

LOL

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2005, 09:13 AM

With all of the pimping of Bell being the new "Terrel Davis", surely this has to be one of the dumbest picks in Broncos history. Considering you could have drafted him with a 5th or 6th round pick makes it even funnier.

Considering the Bronco fans here have had such a great time making fun of the LJ pick, I wanted to see a few of you squirm and try to spin this.

It probably would be smarter though just to keep your mouths shut on the subject.

Let's see...the Chiefs burn a first round pick for contract leverage on a guy that was at the time the best in the game....we take a bum in the third round and we'll pay him a ton less.....LMAO...perhaps it is you who should keep his mouth shut.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey, if you guys are happy with it, that's all that matters.

As a Chiefs fan, I am very satisfied with the pick.

Darkhawk24
04-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Comparing a 1st rounder pick to a Comp pick?

LOL

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Comparing a 1st rounder pick to a Comp pick?

LOL

exactly...when will the clowns that root for the other teams going to learn....nevermind

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Let's see...the Chiefs burn a first round pick for contract leverage on a guy that was at the time the best in the game....we take a bum in the third round and we'll pay him a ton less.....LMAO...perhaps it is you who should keep his mouth shut.

But wait! Wasn't it you folks that were saying that Priest was done, and would not come back from the hip injury? Given that circumstance, wouldn't picking up a back in the 1st round actually be considered a need pick?

What did you guys get for Droughns, a 4th rounder wasn't it? If so, you are saying that the Broncos spent a 3rd to get a 4th, and traded away depth that was proven at the position.

What's that all about?

Drek
04-24-2005, 10:21 AM
What did you guys get for Droughns, a 4th rounder wasn't it? If so, you are saying that the Broncos spent a 3rd to get a 4th, and traded away depth that was proven at the position. Actually, we got Ebenezer Ekuban and Mike Myers. Myers is nothing more than a backup, but Ekuban had 8 sacks last year playing through injuries. If he can get healthy he could be a capable pass rusher in our rotation, easily worth at least early 3rd round value to us. We also didn't draft Droughns in the 3rd, Detroit did, we signed him after being cut.

Comparing the selection of Clarrett to the selection of Larry Johnson is a pretty big gap to cross. The Cheifs took an RB with their first overall pick despite having Priest Holmes and a quality backup in Blaylock, not to mention very obvious defensive needs. With Priest's bad hip a pick needed to go to RB, but a 2nd or 3rd round selection in that year's rather deep RB class would have been better spent. Clarrett in my opinion was overdrafted, though reports have Dallas all set to take him early in the 4th round. Turner liked him so I don't complain too much about that pick.

If you want to troll the Broncos draft at least troll the two corners selected before Clarrett in the 3rd, they were truely horrible selections considering the talent left on the board at that time.

Spider
04-24-2005, 10:32 AM
LOL @ Chief fans , world of difference in a 1 st rounder and a comp 3 rd round pick ....
Clarrett , I dont have a feeling either way on this , Unless Shanny has big plans on a trade for Tater Bell ..... I would have like to seen another D line man or a DB picked .. but ......

Jake's Finger
04-24-2005, 10:49 AM

You know what's great about that smarmy, smug garbage?? Everything.

Chief fans are my favorite group of no-hope fans on the planet. Even more so then Raider fans, I pity Raider fans for their unfortunate lot in life, I mean who would choose to be a Raider fan. But Chief fan?? Awesome. The never-ending stream of desperation that flows whenever teams that have actually won something since the NFL/AFL merger actually take a risk and do something is as predictable as another Chief playoff flop. (Lin Elliot says hello.)

Maybe Clarett was a stupid pick, maybe it was a reach, maybe it was genius, but at the end of the day, we can throw in a tape of a Super Bowl, or FIVE, and you can't. And you know, better then we do probably, that you won't be doing it any decade soon. (Do you honestly think anyone with a shred of self-esteem would "squirm" over a third round pick?? And just for the record, Maurice Clarett won one more Championship then Kansas City, including "LJ", this century.)

Make fun of us for a Third Round Compensatory pick all you want, I invite it as I would a relative 'round the holidays, but remember only one of us has had to root for a team coached by Marty Schottenheimer and it's not me. Only one of us has blown a 4th quarter lead at home in the biggest game ever played between the two franchises. (We may not win in Kansas City in December, but we did pretty good in January.) You're not important enough to get mad at and I know that eats at you like a disease, you're barely more annoying then San Diego. And I'm sorry, we got John Elway, you got Todd Blackledge and really that's the difference between the two franchises right there, we're Elway, you're a bad college football studio analyst.

So keep throwing your self-esteem at the feet of Bronco fans, it's amusing in a Randy Johnson hitting the bird in flight kinda way. Sad though, because like that bird, you just have no chance.

But in the future you might want to think about these numbers the next time you tell a fan of an actual NFL franchise to "keep your mouths shut":

Kansas City Chiefs, playoff record since the merger: 3-10
Denver Broncos, playoff record since the merger: 16-14

To borrow from Emilio Estevez, "You might as well not even exist in this league"

Spider
04-24-2005, 10:57 AM

Chief fans are my favorite group of no-hope fans on the planet. Even more so then Raider fans, I pity Raider fans for their unfortunate lot in life, I mean who would choose to be a Raider fan. But Chief fan?? Awesome. The never-ending stream of desperation that flows whenever teams that have actually won something since the NFL/AFL merger actually take a risk and do something is as predictable as another Chief playoff flop. (Lin Elliot says hello.)

Maybe Clarett was a stupid pick, maybe it was a reach, maybe it was genius, but at the end of the day, we can throw in a tape of a Super Bowl, or FIVE, and you can't. And you know, better then we do probably, that you won't be doing it any decade soon. (Do you honestly think anyone with a shred of self-esteem would "squirm" over a third round pick?? And just for the record, Maurice Clarett won one more Championship then Kansas City, including "LJ", this century.)

Make fun of us for a Third Round Compensatory pick all you want, I invite it as I would a relative 'round the holidays, but remember only one of us has had to root for a team coached by Marty Schottenheimer and it's not me. Only one of us has blown a 4th quarter lead at home in the biggest game ever played between the two franchises. (We may not win in Kansas City in December, but we did pretty good in January.) You're not important enough to get mad at and I know that eats at you like a disease, you're barely more annoying then San Diego. And I'm sorry, we got John Elway, you got Todd Blackledge and really that's the difference between the two franchises right there, we're Elway, you're a bad college football studio analyst.

So keep throwing your self-esteem at the feet of Bronco fans, it's amusing in a Randy Johnson hitting the bird in flight kinda way. Sad though, because like that bird, you just have no chance.

But in the future you might want to think about these numbers the next time you tell a fan of an actual NFL franchise to "keep your mouths shut":

To borrow from Emilio Estevez, "You might as well not even exist in this league"

LOL .. now that is a freaking post ......... Major Rep to you Jakes Finger ;D

RaiderH8r
04-24-2005, 11:03 AM

Wow...now THAT was an ass kicking on Squaw fans. HA HA HA.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 12:24 PM
LOL .. now that is a freaking post ......... Major Rep to you Jakes Finger ;D

Yeah....rep......that stuff's important.

Spider. I thought you run your smack not ride the jock of someone else. It's all good. You look good in a skirt.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 12:27 PM

So what you are saying is that you have no opinion on the subject.

Why didn't you just say so.

Donko fans......I love you retards.

Spider
04-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah....rep......that stuff's important.

Spider. I thought you run your smack not ride the jock of someone else. It's all good. You look good in a skirt.
LOL ....... Nice try , we both know that post by Jakes finger kicked ass , and it deserved to be noticed .

Ratboy
04-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Clarett is a guy who wants to play, He loves this game. I'm glad we got him. He assured that he wasnt holding out and he is going to work out in denver from day 1.

Mr. Trout
04-24-2005, 12:33 PM
There were rumors that Dallas was going to take Clarett in the fifth round. Because Denver did not have a four or five, they had to take him at that spot

crazyhorse
LOL ....... Nice try , we both know that post by Jakes finger kicked ass , and it deserved to be noticed .

It's all the same crap you all say when painted into a corner and faced to realize the slide of the Broncos. I left little wiggle room on the subject, so a personal attack on a person he knows nothing about is the next step. It is a weak negotiation tactic and would never hold up in strong debate. It is as obvious here is it would be there.

But if you're happy....I'm happy.

Rep.

Ratboy
He's a winner. When he is on the field, His game is on.

BroncosFaninFtMyers
he deserve to get another chance.

Breck Bronc
04-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Clarett is a guy who wants to play, He loves this game. I'm glad we got him. He assured that he wasnt holding out and he is going to work out in denver from day 1.As if he has a choice.

ro_50
He's a third round pick, he wont pull a Travis McGriff and hold out like he did when the Broncs drafted him some years ago.

He's seems eager to get going and I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity. For him and his running style, this is the best place for him. If he cant make it here, he wont make it anywhere.

OBF1
MC is the only day 1 pick I am okay with.

easymobee
04-24-2005, 12:35 PM
I really like this pick.

The press conference only made me feel even better about it.

Hulamau
04-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I like the way the kid handled himself in that press conference. Hopefully, he knows this is his one and only shot hes going to get.

But I'll give the kid a benefit of the doubt. I do feel sorry for Tater tot though, bringing a page one story like Clarett in, Tatum will get back page treatment at best when he was hoping to be 'the man', and who knows how thats going to effect his play and team chemistry?

Mike Anderson and Quentin are gone, gone .... gone!

bro1ncos
04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
He said all the right things at the press conference. Lets see what happens at the first mini camp in a few weeks.

telluride
04-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Day one is not my concern. Day 30 is. In MC's world, nothing is ever his fault. He has no accountability, no fire, no resilience. This is a wasted pick.

Watch for a training camp injury/contract issue/quitting.

Ratboy
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
MC is the only day 1 pick I am okay with.

I'm happy with all 4.

Mark my words, Darrent Williams is going to start @ nickle this year. Middlebrooks might get moved to FS (which would be good for him). Williams is a pure ballhawk, If you want Interceptions, Darrent Williams is the guy, He has excellent hands, Playing with Bailey is also going to help him advance into a better Cornerback.

Foxworth and Paymah will also contribute. Might be a dime, but i see alot of Special Teams. These guys are all burners. I think shanahan jjust solved a problem, Teams are going to have a harder time to go over our heads now.

Drek
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
He won't hold out? Gee, thats nice of him, seeings how first day money is about twice what he could have been expecting, not to mention he's getting to play for a team with a history of making RBs look better than they actually are.

What I care about is that he shows some damn loyalty down the road, should Turner really make him into an outstanding RB. I'm willing to bet that'll be too much to ask a few years down the road though, when he'll want to get paid.

Mastermind2002
04-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Mike Anderson and Quentin are gone, gone .... gone!

Quentin is gone for sure, however Anderson may stay.

bendog
04-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Why fuel this ****'s ****?

Ratboy
04-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Day one is not my concern. Day 30 is. In MC's world, nothing is ever his fault. He has no accountability, no fire, no resilience. This is a wasted pick.

And you're a waste of life. What's your point?

He's going to play for us and he's going to play good.

ro_50
04-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Lets see what happens this year before making assertions on what could happen years down the road.

Spider
04-24-2005, 12:42 PM
It's all the same crap you all say when painted into a corner and faced to realize the slide of the Broncos.
Slideyou say ? ok , but atleast we was on top to slide ...... Hellva lot more then you can say .......

I left little wiggle room on the subject, so a personal attack on a person he knows nothing about is the next step. It is a weak negotiation tactic and would never hold up in strong debate. It is as obvious here is it would be there.

But if you're happy....I'm happy.

Rep.
LOL ...... chief fan starts on a weak topic , fist off you started out by comparing a 1 st round pick to a 3 rd round comp pick , but enough of that , Chiefs have a dominate runner in Holmes already in seat , so picking a 1 st round Running back when you have a weak Defense ?
we have Bell who I am very High on , but he didnt establish himself the way Priest Holmes did .......... so Denver picking a 3 rd round running back isnt as bad as Chiefs picking a 1 st rounder ...... Class Dissmissed ......

easymobee
04-24-2005, 12:44 PM

A little harsh, don't you think?

There was bound to be some people who really don't like this pick, but from my viewpoint there wasn't another guy left on the board that i'd rather have than Clarett.

He has too much upside to dismiss IMO.

Spider
04-24-2005, 12:45 PM
well Clarrett talked the talk .... I hope he walks the walk . I will be pulling for him to make it as long as he is a Bronco ......

telluride
04-24-2005, 12:48 PM
He won't make the active roster. He's been given "second chances" dozens of times, and squandered them. And this is not even bringing up the fact that his entire reputation is based on one good freshman season two years ago.

He's not played football for two years. He's vaulting from decent college competition to the best athletes in the world. He'll be playing behind a cobbled offensive line that received nada draft or FA help. He'll be injured in training camp, and never contribute.

Here's the thing: we take the one hard-working, decent, morally upright RB we have--Droughns--and toss him out. And replace him with this?? It's obscene.

Our RBs for this season: Tiny, injury-prone Q; fast, character-challenged Tater; underperformer Dayne; the good soldier Anderson; and chubby, head-case Clarett. Makes you feel confident, huh?

ChampBailey24
04-24-2005, 12:49 PM
After watching that press conference, i think he will be a difference make for us. He has the right attitude now, and seems to have a great relationship with bobby turner, so i think he will give us his all. he wants to work now, and with our veteran leadership, i think he will blossom, not saying bell wont start, but if clarett is given his chance, i think he will shine!

bendog
well Clarrett talked the talk .... I hope he walks the walk . I will be pulling for him to make it as long as he is a Bronco ......
I predict there will be at least 3 more clarett threads by the end of the draft

Ratboy
He won't make the active roster.

Wanna bet?

bro1ncos
04-24-2005, 12:50 PM
He won't hold out? Gee, thats nice of him, seeings how first day money is about twice what he could have been expecting, not to mention he's getting to play for a team with a history of making RBs look better than they actually are.

He was just simply answering a question put before him. What would you rather have him say?

Jason in LA
This is a dumb thread. I haven't read all the replies, but I'm pretty sure my fellow Bronco fans have put this fool in his place, once again.

The Chiefs had one of the best RBs in the league, and had major issues on D, but they waste a first round pick on Johnson. The Broncos do have a guy that looks to be the one at RB, but that's not set. So they use a 3rd round pick on a RB. So what? If they had traded up into the first round and took him then I could see the point.

The situations between the Broncos and Chiefs are totally different. I guess this fool thinks that drafting Gary in the 4th round after TD went for 2000 yards was a stupid draft pick. This thread should go to the butt. This chief fan is just trying to stir things up.

crazyhorse
Slideyou say ? ok , but atleast we was on top to slide ...... Hellva lot more then you can say .......

LOL ...... chief fan starts on a weak topic , fist off you started out by comparing a 1 st round pick to a 3 rd round comp pick , but enough of that , Chiefs have a dominate runner in Holmes already in seat , so picking a 1 st round Running back when you have a weak Defense ?
we have Bell who I am very High on , but he didnt establish himself the way Priest Holmes did .......... so Denver picking a 3 rd round running back isnt as bad as Chiefs picking a 1 st rounder ...... Class Dissmissed ......

You must have fogotten, PH was injured. Most Bronco fans had his carreer over. We picked a back because there was a chance we would have to start the season without one that had starting potential. PH's recovery dictated the move there.

crazyhorse
04-24-2005, 12:52 PM
This is a dumb thread. I haven't read all the replies, but I'm pretty sure my fellow Bronco fans have put this fool in his place, once again.

The Chiefs had one of the best RBs in the league, and had major issues on D, but they waste a first round pick on Johnson. The Broncos do have a guy that looks to be the one at RB, but that's not set. So they use a 3rd round pick on a RB. So what? If they had traded up into the first round and took him then I could see the point.

The situations between the Broncos and Chiefs are totally different. I guess this fool thinks that drafting Gary in the 4th round after TD went for 2000 yards was a stupid draft pick. This thread should go to the butt. This chief fan is just trying to stir things up.

Why should this thread go to the butt? Are you really that gutless?

I have tried to stay on topic and have made valid points on it. If you dont have the sack, then dont click.

Bronco Yoda
04-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Turner will groom Clarett and Shanahan will trade him down the line if all goes well with Bell.

Some teams suck every year to get top picks.... we groom Running Backs.

Jason in LA
04-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Is at any worse to give 3rd round money to a 6th or 7th rounder or to a guy who just gets invited to camp???

You should hope that IF Clorett gets to play he'll shine like Larry Johnson did. I seem to remember L. J. having a couple of HUGE games last year when he got his chance. And I seem to remember one in which the score ended 45-17!

3rd rounders don't make much money.

Spider
04-24-2005, 12:54 PM
You must have fogotten, PH was injured. Most Bronco fans had his carreer over.
I sure would hope that the Chiefs Coaching staff , Knew more about Priest situation then we did ...... But then we are talking about the Chiefs , Chances are we probably did know more Hilarious!

We picked a back because there was a chance we would have to start the season without one that had starting potential. PH's recovery dictated the move there.
LOL , Meanwhile Ignore the defense .......
Chief fan#1 : Gee how come we havent sniffed a SB since 1970 ?
Chief fan #2 : I dont know I think the Broncos cheat ....... But hey we know more then they do Hilarious!

Jason in LA
04-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Why should this thread go to the butt? Are you really that gutless?

I have tried to stay on topic and have made valid points on it. If you dont have the sack, then dont click.

Because it is a dumb point. What valid points? You are comparing a first round pick, who is supposed to have a big impact on a team, to a guy that was picked at the end of the 3rd round, by a team that had already drafted two other players in the 3rd round. The Chiefs were set at RB, where the Broncos aren't. It's a silly point. Either you are playing dumb, or you are just trying to stir things up.

bendog
04-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I repeat, why feed the ****e's ****e?

elsid13
04-24-2005, 12:58 PM
He won't make the active roster. He's been given "second chances" dozens of times, and squandered them. And this is not even bringing up the fact that his entire reputation is based on one good freshman season two years ago.

He's not played football for two years. He's vaulting from decent college competition to the best athletes in the world. He'll be playing behind a cobbled offensive line that received nada draft or FA help. He'll be injured in training camp, and never contribute.

Here's the thing: we take the one hard-working, decent, morally upright RB we have--Droughns--and toss him out. And replace him with this?? It's obscene.

Our RBs for this season: Tiny, injury-prone Q; fast, character-challenged Tater; underperformer Dayne; the good soldier Anderson; and chubby, head-case Clarett. Makes you feel confident, huh?

Always showing the upside

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 12:58 PM
fast, character-challenged Tater

I find it interesting that you call Bell "character-challenged" when he's done nothing to suggest that he has character issues.

If this is in reference to his hold out last year in camp, you're reaching for things to bitch about. Hell, he played through a 2nd degree shoulder separation at the end of last season. Yeah, sure sounds like a character problem.

I'd call him an injury risk a lot sooner than I'd call him a character problem. At least there's some basis in fact for calling him an injury risk.

joner42
04-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Here is a link to blogs talking about Clarett.

Maurice Clarett Blogs (http://www.icerocket.com/search?tab=blog&q=maurice+clarett)

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 01:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...john&id=2044793

Updated: April 24, 2005, 12:29 AM ET

Broncos put an end to back's miseryBy John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive

Christmas came early to Maurice Clarett and Mike Shanahan played the part of Santa Claus.

Shanahan ended Clarett's year and a half of self-inflicted torture by making him the final choice in the third round of Saturday's NFL draft. The joke going around the scouting combine in Indianapolis in February was that Clarett's move to quit a workout early made him a compensatory pick in the sixth or seventh round.

Clarett
Instead, the Broncos rescued him from his purgatory by drafting him as a third-round compensatory pick. For months Clarett worried whether he would be drafted. Thanks to Shanahan, he enters the NFL with a certain degree of respect along with the fortune of going to the best halfback factory in football.

"Maurice couldn't have found a better franchise," Josh Luchs, one of Clarett's agents, said. "This is perfect. Nobody was thinking he was going to be drafted this high. We are thrilled."

Luchs and veteran agent Steve Feldman took on Clarett as a client two weeks before the February combine, and they performed miracles. They had him work with a lawyer who helped prepare him to come across better at press conferences. They tried to get him to change his workout routines, but they had to wait to see how things turned out in the combine.

Things didn't go well there. Clarett ran horribly. His 40 times were 4.72 and 4.82 and the fullbacks in his group ran faster than he did. His training didn't prepare him, and Clarett infuriated running backs coaches by quitting and not finishing the workouts.

It appeared he was doomed to a late-round pick.

Feldman and Luchs changed his training, and Clarett worked harder and performed better. He lowered his times to the 4.6 range and suddenly, Clarett had a chance.

But it was the Dallas Cowboys who gave him hopes of being a higher draft choice. Parcells secretly told Clarett he would take him, possibly as high as the fourth round. To Clarett, it was incentive. However, Shanahan offered a better reward by taking him in the third.

"Bill Parcells said he would take him in the fourth," Luchs said. "There have been some teams sneaking around, showing interest. Jerry Jones and Bill put in a lot of time checking it out."

The Broncos' selection came as a bigger surprise because no one from the organization even came to Clarett's workout earlier this month in Ohio. Shanahan has a feel for backs, and he apparently wanted to take a gamble.

"Denver called and told us that Maurice was their pick," Luchs said. "It's a perfect fit. Their running game is geared for a cutback runner. Maurice is a cutback runner. They are getting a player who is undervalued, but they are getting a player who will be ready for mini-camp and training camp."

The Broncos called with some questions, though. They asked Feldman if Clarett was in good shape physically. Feldman said he was. Then they asked if Clarett's head was on straight. Feldman said it was.

The decision was made. Clarett would be a Bronco.

Clarett sued the NFL and lost. He stumbled in workouts and appeared to lose. Now Shanahan is giving him a chance. A victory is up to Clarett.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Broncos take a chance on divisive Clarett
By EDDIE PELLS, AP Sports Writer
April 24, 2005

DENVER (AP) -- The Denver Broncos have a history of taking less-than-perfect tailbacks and turning them into stars. On Saturday, they drafted the walking definition of the less-than-perfect tailback -- Maurice Clarett.

Impressed by what he did as a freshman, and not as concerned with his sordid history since, the Broncos took the bait on Clarett, using a third-round pick to take a surprising gamble on one of the most divisive players in the history of college football.

``It's funny to finally get to this point,'' Clarett said.

ADVERTISEMENT
The one-time Ohio State star led the Buckeyes to the 2002 national title, scoring the winning touchdown as a freshman in the Fiesta Bowl.

But his fortunes turned downward from there.

He got in trouble with the law, got suspended for the 2003 season, sued to become eligible for the draft and eventually lost that case. Then, he turned on Ohio State, alleging coach Jim Tressel arranged for him to get passing grades, cars and money for bogus summer jobs. The football program is under investigation but has not been hit with NCAA sanctions.

Despite the problems, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan deemed drafting Clarett as a risk worth taking.

``First of all, I think you don't get too caught up in that,'' Shanahan said. ``I know the situation, what's happened. His slate is clean and we're giving him an opportunity.''

After sitting out two seasons, Clarett was a bust during NFL tryouts. He was unable to break 4.7 seconds in his 40-yard run at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, making his already cloudy draft future that much murkier.

Based on the speed, and the history, very few thought he was worth much higher than a fifth-round pick. Some thought he wouldn't be drafted at all. Clarett, meanwhile, conceded he was getting in the car as the Broncos were preparing to make the 101st and last pick of the first day.

Then, came the first real surprise of a relatively calm 2005 draft -- a pick Shanahan made on the recommendation from running backs coach Bobby Turner, who stayed in touch with Clarett during his two years of inactivity.

``I think it's a clean slate,'' Clarett said. ``Coach Turner knew me, went to bat for me. He told Coach Shanahan he would take a bet on me.''

Denver has no pressing needs at tailback. They have Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson and Quentin Griffin and signed Ron Dayne during free agency.

They have a history, though, of taking mid-round picks and turning them into 1,000-yard rushers. Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Terrell Davis all fit that bill. Davis was a sixth-round pick. He retired with 7,607 yards over eight seasons.

``Terrell Davis wasn't, so called, very fast,'' Shanahan said. ``But he played very fast in games and had great cutting ability. So, speed isn't always a factor. He's got great elusiveness, the ability to make some big runs. Sometimes speed can be overrated.''

Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards and 16 touchdowns as a freshman at Ohio State despite missing three games with injuries. After that year, he was considered one of the best college players in the game, but couldn't be drafted because of NFL rules stating players must be out of high school three years before going pro.

He challenged that rule in court and won, only to see the decision overturned by a higher court, leaving him with nowhere to play. During his time away, he gained weight and took on more baggage by turning on Tressel. By the time draft day approached, Clarett was being roundly ripped by many of the so-called personnel experts.

``I'm in great shape right now,'' Clarett claimed. ``I've been working out every day. I talked to Coach Turner and said, `If you need me to lose more weight, I'll lose more weight. If you need me to run more, I'll run more.' Whatever they ask of me, whatever I need to do, is what's going to happen.''

The Clarett pick immediately transformed Denver's draft from one of the league's most placid into one of the most intriguing. The Broncos had traded away their first-round draft pick, and used their second and two thirds on cornerbacks -- Darrent Williams of Oklahoma State, Karl Paymah of Washington State and Domonique Foxworth of Maryland.

Then came Clarett -- chosen with one of two picks the Broncos received from the league as compensation for lost free agents in years past.

``And you thought it was going to be a slow, slow third round,'' Shanahan said.
-----------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1776078

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- On a day when it might have been easier to tunnel into Fort Knox than to have gained access to the school's football complex, Ohio State tailback Maurice Clarett likely earned himself a bit more gold in the 2004 NFL draft, turning in a credible performance in his first full-scale audition for scouts.

The workout, in front of dozens of curious talent evaluators, was more solid than it was scintillating. It did, however, go a long way toward answering lingering questions about Clarett's maturity, physical conditioning and overall quickness in football-related drills.

"He is a good football player and he demonstrated that," said Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.

Maurice Clarett
Clarett
Clarett, who looked to be in better shape than some skeptics had predicted, was clocked in the mid- to high-4.5s, according to the consensus of four scouts in attendance, all of whom spoke to ESPN.com. One of the four scouts said he timed the former Buckeyes star at 4.56. The other three had him in the 4.58-4.59 range. A fifth scout, not in the consensus group, got a high time of 4.62 in one of the three 40-yard sprints that Clarett performed.

The tailback, scouts noted, also ran in the 1.7s for 10 yards.

Given the lack of access -- even Clarett's representatives, who were not permitted into the workout, sat at a local grille with some friends while their client auditioned -- information was sketchy at first. But as scouts headed to the airport or to their hotels, the overall take on Clarett's performance became clearer. The general feeling was that Clarett was more focused than some scouts anticipated and that he understood the significance of satisfying some of the doubts surrounding him.

Clarett said he was "pretty happy" with the results.

"I felt like I was prepared and, while you're probably never completely satisfied, it was a good workout and a good experience," Clarett said.

In many draft classes, his times might be considered pedestrian, but the 2004 pool at the tailback position is hardly rife with sprinters. So, while not eye-opening, the times were certainly as good as, if not better in a few instances, than those of prospects considered as the top four tailbacks in the 2004 draft.

Those four tailbacks -- Steven Jackson (Oregon State), Kevin Jones (Virginia Tech), Chris Perry (Michigan) and Greg Jones (Florida State) -- all ran between 4.53-4.62. Kevin Jones' time was disappointing enough in his first "pro day" workout, that he convened a second audition.

"He answered some questions, for sure, and he's probably a first-day guy now," one scout from an AFC team said. "He moved better than I thought he would and he had a better change of direction than I had seen on tape. Plus he caught the ball well. I could see him maybe going in the second (round) now. Probably no worse than the third (round)."

In addition to the 40 results, Clarett performed 19 "repetitions" of the standard 225-pound bench press. He had a 36½-inch vertical jump and he registered a long jump of 9 feet, 6 inches. His time in the "short shuttle," a drill designed to display change of direction skill, was in the 4.3-second range, relatively average, and one scout noted that Clarett looked a bit "tight" in the hips.

Perhaps most notable about the Clarett workout: His conditioning and the manner in which he caught the ball.

Clarett measured 5-foot-11 3/8, actually one-eighth of an inch shorter than at the combine. But his weight, 230 pounds, was seven pounds less than it was in Indianapolis, and 12 pounds less than Clarett conceded he weighed five days before his combine appearance. There had been concerns that Clarett, who opted in recent weeks to train closer to home, might be overweight, but 230 pounds is what Ohio State listed as his playing weight in 2002.

Although not noted for his hands, Clarett had just one drop in the receiving drills.

Scouts have been anticipating the Clarett workout, some of them fairly eagerly, since he declined to participate in the drills at the Indianapolis combine two months ago.

One team that does not want to be identified had a private audition with Clarett last week, ESPN.com learned, and was impressed by his performance. Clarett did not run a 40-yard sprint in that private workout, but was said to be generally more athletic than expected.

Spider
I predict there will be at least 3 more clarett threads by the end of the draft
;D I think you are right

crazyhorse
I repeat, why feed the ****e's ****e?

Does that mean you keep coming back into this thread. :kiddingme

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 01:05 PM
He's saying all the right things. Whoop dee damn doo. Anybody can do that.

He's got to prove himself through his actions. I'm willing to give him a chance to go ahead and do just that. No attitude. No complaining. No bull****.

Get in shape, get in mini camp, get in training camp and work your ass off. Anything less will just reaffirm what everyone already thinks of him.

Bronco Yoda
04-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Clarett will pay dividends for us down the line.

Every rook has to prove themselves when camp starts.

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 01:17 PM
I am referring to the hold-out, and the underlying chracter issues its speaks to.

So by that standard, anyone who holds out has underlying character issues?

Well then, Bell has a lot of company in that category.

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2005, 01:17 PM
But wait! Wasn't it you folks that were saying that Priest was done, and would not come back from the hip injury? Given that circumstance, wouldn't picking up a back in the 1st round actually be considered a need pick?

What did you guys get for Droughns, a 4th rounder wasn't it? If so, you are saying that the Broncos spent a 3rd to get a 4th, and traded away depth that was proven at the position.

What's that all about?

Droughns wanted to start...and instead of sitting on him ala LJ/CP...we let him seek a trade. Keep up. Priest had a hip injury that was like that Bo Jacksons..bottomline....Clarett was better than Johnson when we woke up this morning

telluride
04-24-2005, 01:22 PM
No, but they do show a propensity for me-firstism, which is not a good sign.

Clockwork Orange
04-24-2005, 01:27 PM
So Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning are character challenged? They both held out longer than Bell did last year.

If that's the standard by which you judge players, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I think it's a crock personally.

To me, character issues are guys who are out getting arrested a week before the draft. Guys who walk off the field during games and publicly state that they "play when they feel like it." Guys who publicly bash their teammates and take no personal responsibility.

Those are some of the things that strike me as red flags.

IbleedORANGEandBLUE
04-24-2005, 01:35 PM
tatum bell does not have character issues...it was not his decision to hold out. His agent was more worried about himelf, getting a bigger contract that julius jones (one pick after tatum). tatum said that he was so anxious to get on the field he was running around his block for hours... he wante to be out there with his teammates.

he is not a character problem...he is a very tough kid, who plays thru injury. thats exactly the type of guy i want on my team

as for clarett, i dont see how he fits in with bell...if he plays well, clarett will bitch about playing time, saying he wants to start. its a lose lose unless we trade him, or god forbid tatum gets hurt again.

Play2win
04-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey, if I can change my opinion of BVP (because he's a Bronco), then Clarett is going to be a walk in the park!!

Atlas
04-24-2005, 01:43 PM

Cut him some slack. THE REPORTER ASKED HIM IF HE WAS GOING TO HOLD OUT. HE said NO. What could he have said that would have made you happy.

Play2win
04-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Cut him some slack. THE REPORTER ASKED HIM IF HE WAS GOING TO HOLD OUT. HE said NO. What could he have said that would have made you happy.
Hey, man, if they want to go on a witch-hunt, let them. ;D

DrFate
04-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Can somebody tell me what difference a press conference makes? He gets on camera, smiles, reads the script, and some of you volunteer to cary his jock.

:kiddingme

If you ignore all the off-the-field stuff, he isn't much of a prospect. Nobody sees him as a first day talent. He's slow. He hasn't played much ball. He hasn't played at all in 2 years. He gets hurt all the time. Ignore the weight. Ignore the 'it's not my fault' attitude. He can't run. He quit at the combine. All he can do is talk about his lawyer. Why do you people think the NFL world is laughing at the Broncos today?

This guy is a downgrade from Droughns, and Droughns wasn't much of a #1 back.

Ballhawk
04-24-2005, 02:06 PM
When you have a coach that has been as loyal and productive as Turner has for us, you throw him a bone once in a while. Turner wanted MC, I think he sees an opportunity to make a work of art out of trash. If he does turn MC around it will just add to the growing Legend that is Turner!

Atlas
04-24-2005, 02:08 PM
The Broncos didn't have a 4th or 5th so if they wanted Clarett they had to use the 3rd. I have no problem with this. Coming out of High School he was the best player in the country he backed that up by having one of the best freshman years in college football history.

Let's hope he can recapture what made him great.

DrFate
04-24-2005, 02:13 PM
The Broncos didn't have a 4th or 5th so if they wanted Clarett they had to use the 3rd. I have no problem with this. Coming out of High School he was the best player in the country he backed that up by having one of the best freshman years in college football history.

Let's hope he can recapture what made him great.

I don't like taking the risk when guys like Brown or Hawthorne were waiting to be called. Guys who could help.

Drek
04-24-2005, 03:14 PM
What could he have said that would have made you happy. Hey, thats great, he answered the question he was asked. I didn't watch the conf., didn't much care to, I was responding to the comment made by the thread starter.

As for what Clarrett would have ideally said, well, how about the facts. Something like "I've been a dumbass for the last two years, I think I'm gonna try and stop doing that, primarily by getting into camp asap and start busting ass."

If we can get Clarrett on a legitimate fitness regiment I think he can have high 4.4's speed and still weight 230. That'd make him a pretty fast back with real good size. We all know he has the intangibles you want in a running back, hard to bring down, elusive, makes quick decisions but doesn't overrun his blockers. He's a natural RB, better yet, a natural Denver RB. He just needs to get into camp and be totally receptive to everything Turner and his fitness coaches tell him. If he does that he could be an all-time stud and make up all the money he's lost with his crazy ass antics. If not, well, I suppose the CFL will probably give him a shot as well.

Fact of the matter is though, if Clarrett fails in Denver NO other NFL team is going to give him a second shot, because failing when Olandis Gary was a 1,000 yard rusher is the ultimate scarlet letter for an NFL RB.

FADERPROOF
04-24-2005, 03:18 PM
I can't help but smirk at the people in this thread that are believing what he says and is giving the guy a chance here.

I'm somewhat looking forward to him doing something here so those people will have egg all over their face when it happens.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 03:48 PM
What exactly do you base this conclusion on? He wasn't that good at OSU, he hasn't played in 2 years, he was hurt a lot when he was in school, and he is slow.

I'm hungry too. Maybe I'll get drafted today.

:(

He wasn't good at OSU? What in the hell are you smoking? You should switch to something filtered...

FADERPROOF
04-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Just wait...just wait...

A lot of hope and promis has been put in Clarett, he'll be sure to let Bronco fans down.

And then I'll laugh.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
The only people that should be laughed at right now are the ones who are questioning the Broncos runningback decisions...

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Just heard Jerry Jones on KTCK 1310 "The Ticket" here in Dallas, on the Maurice Clarett thing.

Quote from Jones:

"This is the first I've heard of it...I know he said that (that the Cowboys told him he'd be taken in the 4th round) but that doesn't make it so...Nobody here ever told him that...the earliest we'd have considered taking him was the 6th round."

Who do you beleive? Crazy as it sounds I believe Jones on this one.

Choice. Clarett's career begins with a lie. What's next? ???

Northman
04-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Just heard Jerry Jones on KTCK 1310 "The Ticket", on the Maurice Clarett thing.

Quote from Jones:

"This is the first I've heard of it...I know he said that (that the Cowboys told him he'd be taken in the 4th round) but that doesn't make it so...Nobody here ever told him that...the earliest we'd have considered taking him was the 6th round."

Choice. Clarett's career begins with a lie. What's next?

Whether or not it is true both Teams and players ( their agents ) play the game of deceit in order to get the upper hand. if Clarett and his agent lied about the Cowboys then he pulled on over on us.

OBF1
Who cares? Jerry Jones is not coaching him to play in our system.

Ray Finkle
Just heard Jerry Jones on KTCK 1310 "The Ticket" here in Dallas, on the Maurice Clarett thing.

Quote from Jones:

Bill Parcels told Clarrett that, not Jones...

-Slap-
04-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I forget to tell you guys, but the Cowboys said they were gonna draft me, too.

So, you know, a little respect, huh?

Taco John

Quote from Jones:

You're a moron.

footstepsfrom#27
if Clarett and his agent lied about the Cowboys then he pulled on over on us.

This is suprising?

Ray Finkle
04-24-2005, 04:03 PM
You're a moron.

LOL....the mighty TJ has spoken!

FADERPROOF
04-24-2005, 04:04 PM
The only people that should be laughed at right now are the ones who are questioning the Broncos runningback decisions...

Don't think it has much to do with him as a RB, but more with the person he is.

Taco John
What part of "this guy is a Bronco now" do some of you idiots not ****ing get?

Play2win
I just hope none of the Broncos fans will be rooting against Clarett, because when you start rooting against a particular Bronco, you root against the whole Broncos Team.

If you root for Clarett to succeed, it will only make the Broncos better. So, if you are a Broncos fan, go ahead and root for the Broncos. And root for Maurice Clarett.

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-24-2005, 04:05 PM
First of all, the Ticket is sh*t. But that's beside the point.

The "Clarett to Dallas in the 4th" story was reported by Chris Mortenson as was told to him by Bill Parcells. You should know by now that Parcells and Jones don't converse on a daily basis and that this isn't the first time there have been conflicting stories between the two.

You're making it sound as though Clarett had something to do with that report and are trying to spin it as negative pub against him.

Northman
if Clarett and his agent lied about the Cowboys then he pulled on over on us.

This is suprising?

its not surprising but my point is every player and team does it. there was evidently a leak in Washington about their interest in Jason Campbell and had another team taken him before Wash they would of been pissed. but some teams and players will play possum and say one thing in order to improve their chances.

Ray Finkle
What part of "this guy is a Bronco now" do some of you idiots not ****ing get?

TJ, Ignorance is bliss...I was upset about it at first but I am over it now and have grown to actually like it.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 04:06 PM
"Bill Parcels told Clarrett that, not Jones..."

Bill Parcels would not tell Clarett this without Jones knowing about it.

You're a moron.

I'm a moron for reporting something you wouldn't have heard otherwise unless you were down here in Dallas? Why? I guess there's no interest on this board about this issue?

Please.

Northman
04-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Don't think it has much to do with him as a RB, but more with the person he is.

Ditto.

Northman
04-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I just hope none of the Broncos fans will be rooting against Clarett, because when you start rooting against a particular Bronco, you root against the whole Broncos Team.

If you root for Clarett to succeed, it will only make the Broncos better. So, if you are a Broncos fan, go ahead and root for the Broncos. And root for Maurice Clarett.

Ill choose to root for Tatum Bell. **** Clarett.

Ray Finkle

You're a moron.

I'm a moron for reporting something you wouldn't have heard otherwise unless you were down here in Dallas? Why? I guess there's no interest on this board about this issue?

Please.

check the other 100 threads about the same thing...

DB-Freak
Updated: April 24, 2005, 12:29 AM ET

Broncos put an end to back's miseryBy John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive

Christmas came early to Maurice Clarett and Mike Shanahan played the part of Santa Claus.

Shanahan ended Clarett's year and a half of self-inflicted torture by making him the final choice in the third round of Saturday's NFL draft. The joke going around the scouting combine in Indianapolis in February was that Clarett's move to quit a workout early made him a compensatory pick in the sixth or seventh round.

Clarett
Instead, the Broncos rescued him from his purgatory by drafting him as a third-round compensatory pick. For months Clarett worried whether he would be drafted. Thanks to Shanahan, he enters the NFL with a certain degree of respect along with the fortune of going to the best halfback factory in football.

"Maurice couldn't have found a better franchise," Josh Luchs, one of Clarett's agents, said. "This is perfect. Nobody was thinking he was going to be drafted this high. We are thrilled."

Luchs and veteran agent Steve Feldman took on Clarett as a client two weeks before the February combine, and they performed miracles. They had him work with a lawyer who helped prepare him to come across better at press conferences. They tried to get him to change his workout routines, but they had to wait to see how things turned out in the combine.

Things didn't go well there. Clarett ran horribly. His 40 times were 4.72 and 4.82 and the fullbacks in his group ran faster than he did. His training didn't prepare him, and Clarett infuriated running backs coaches by quitting and not finishing the workouts.

It appeared he was doomed to a late-round pick.

Feldman and Luchs changed his training, and Clarett worked harder and performed better. He lowered his times to the 4.6 range and suddenly, Clarett had a chance.

But it was the Dallas Cowboys who gave him hopes of being a higher draft choice. Parcells secretly told Clarett he would take him, possibly as high as the fourth round. To Clarett, it was incentive. However, Shanahan offered a better reward by taking him in the third.

The Broncos' selection came as a bigger surprise because no one from the organization even came to Clarett's workout earlier this month in Ohio. Shanahan has a feel for backs, and he apparently wanted to take a gamble.

"Denver called and told us that Maurice was their pick," Luchs said. "It's a perfect fit. Their running game is geared for a cutback runner. Maurice is a cutback runner. They are getting a player who is undervalued, but they are getting a player who will be ready for mini-camp and training camp."

The Broncos called with some questions, though. They asked Feldman if Clarett was in good shape physically. Feldman said he was. Then they asked if Clarett's head was on straight. Feldman said it was.

Clarett sued the NFL and lost. He stumbled in workouts and appeared to lose. Now Shanahan is giving him a chance. A victory is up to Clarett.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2005, 04:09 PM
One thread...one love

continue on

Taco John
04-24-2005, 04:09 PM

You're a moron.

Please.

No. You're a moron because you believe whatever you hear in the Dallas media apparently, and your conclusion that Clarett is staring off his career as a lie only underscores what a reactionary moron you are.. I'm sure there is plenty of interest in what Jerry Jones thinks of our draft picks on this board. Carry on.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 04:10 PM

The "Clarett to Dallas in the 4th" story was reported by Chris Mortenson as was told to him by Bill Parcells. You should know by now that Parcells and Jones don't converse on a daily basis and that this isn't the first time there have been conflicting stories between the two.

You're making it sound as though Clarett had something to do with that report and are trying to spin it as negative pub against him.
Typical media tactic.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 04:11 PM
I hate days like this. I hate calling other Broncos fans morons. But when they insist on acting like morons, what can you do? ???

Northman
04-24-2005, 04:13 PM
I hate days like this. I hate calling other Broncos fans morons. But when they insist on acting like morons, what can you do? ???

Im actually surprised by your actions today its not like you. but, i have a new found respect for you. :)

-Slap-
04-24-2005, 04:13 PM

Well said.

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2005, 04:15 PM
The sticker shock has worn off for me...I think this is a great back out of this weak ass draft

Play2win
04-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Jerry Jones is clueless, he's not as bad as Daniel Snyder anymore, but I would take anything he says (or is alleged to have said) with a microscopic grain of salt.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 04:18 PM
No. You're a moron because you believe whatever you hear in the Dallas media apparently, and your conclusion that Clarett is staring off his career as a lie only underscores what a reactionary moron you are.. I'm sure there is plenty of interest in what Jerry Jones thinks of our draft picks on this board. Carry on.

You're so right! What was I thinking (sarcasm) by not accepting at face value something coming from Maurice/his agent? My bad. I know the Dallas media has all kinds of sick motives up their sleeve for wanting to make sure they damage his reputation, right? The story is not about what Jerry Jones thinks about our draft. It has nothing to do with that. It's about an owner disputing what the player/his agent claim, which is apparently why we drafted this guy in the 3rd round to begin with.

Sorry. From now on I'll always give Maurice the benefit of the doubt in every questionable thing that comes up since he's obviously proven his reliability in the past.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 04:23 PM

You're so right! What was I thinking (sarcasm) by not accepting at face value something coming from Maurice/his agent? My bad. I know the Dallas media has all kinds of sick motives up their sleeve for wanting to make sure they damage his reputation, right? The story is not about what Jerry Jones thinks about our draft. It has nothing to do with that. It's about an owner disputing what the player/his agent claim, which is apparently why we drafted this guy in the 3rd round to begin with.

Sorry. From now on I'll always give Maurice the benefit of the doubt in every questionable thing that comes up since he's obviously proven his reliability in the past.
Lets do this over again.

By Rulon who works for ESPN.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 04:24 PM

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." --Mark Twain

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 04:28 PM
I highly doubt anyone told Clarett he was going to be taken in the 4th round, especially after one of his own agents spouted off about how surprised they were to be taken so early.

When this kid quit the combine, I quit on him. He is slow, out of shape, fat, immature, a liar, total experience is 1200 yds in 10 games and hasn't played in 2 years.

This is the worst draft the Broncos have ever been involved in!

Taco John
04-24-2005, 04:28 PM
It's about an owner disputing what the player/his agent claim, which is apparently why we drafted this guy in the 3rd round to begin with.

Are you serious here? DO YOU SERIOUSLY BELIEVE WE DRAFTED *ANYBODY* BASED ON WHAT THEIR AGENT SAID!?

HAYSOOS CHRISTO!

You've gotta be kidding me...

FADERPROOF
04-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Are you serious here? DO YOU SERIOUSLY BELIEVE WE DRAFTED *ANYBODY* BASED ON WHAT THEIR AGENT SAID!?

HAYSOOS CHRISTO!

You've gotta be kidding me...

I think I finally found someone that is more upset than me right now.

Spider
04-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I dont understand the Clarrett bashing myself well except Den Fan , a Buckeye guy , I think he has a legit beef about Clarrett .. The Rest of the People are bitching just to bitch ....... Went through this with Foster , Bell , Portis , D.J.Williams , Now Clarrett ....
Same ole song and dance .........

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 04:33 PM
OK...NOW I get it...it was reported in the MEDIA what Parcells said...how silly of me...Oh wait a minute...it seems it's now reported in the MEDIA by JONES HIMSELF that he didn't say it. But since the press conference was carried on The Ticket I guess that makes it bull****.

Got it: ESPN=Truth Justice and the American Way
Local Media=Nonsense, lies and distortion

Make sense...makes perfect sense... :kiddingme

Just as much sense as "rooting against one bronco"="rooting agaist them all"

OKKKK then...

Northman
04-24-2005, 04:34 PM
I dont understand the Clarrett bashing myself well except Den Fan , a Buckeye guy , I think he has a legit beef about Clarrett .. The Rest of the People are bitching just to bitch ....... Went through this with Foster , Bell , Portis , D.J.Williams , Now Clarrett ....
Same ole song and dance .........

you got to be kidding me spider. you cant even put Clarett in the same sentence with those other guys.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 04:37 PM
I highly doubt anyone told Clarett he was going to be taken in the 4th round, especially after one of his own agents spouted off about how surprised they were to be taken so early.

That' is EXACTLY RIGHT! His agent did say that didn't he? So it appears SOMEBODY is not telling the truth.

Kind of hard for the agent to hear from Bill Parcell that the Cowboys will be drafting Maurice in the 4th round when the same agent admits he was completely shocked he'd go this high.

Now whose the moron?

Spider
04-24-2005, 04:37 PM
OK...NOW I get it...it was reported in the MEDIA what Parcells said...how silly of me...Oh wait a minute...it seems it's now reported in the MEDIA by JONES HIMSELF that he didn't say it. But since the press conference was carried on The Ticket I guess that makes it bull****.

Got it: ESPN=Truth Justice and the American Way
Local Media=Nonsense, lies and distortion

Make sense...makes perfect sense... :kiddingme

Just as much sense as "rooting against one bronco"="rooting agaist them all"

OKKKK then...
well if we want to throw Mud , we still have the way Tom Landry was fired .....
I dont doubt Parcells told Clarrett 4 th round ...... and I seriously doubt that had anything to do with Denver Drafting Clarrett , if the Chiefs , Raiders, or the Chargers said somthing about Drafting Clarrett , then I could see Denver doing somthing ( the entire AFC west is that way , screw each other and Hope we dont get screwed )
I realy dont think Denver gives a rats ass what the Cowboys do ........

Taco John
04-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Now whose the moron?

It's definitely still you.

Spider
04-24-2005, 04:41 PM
you got to be kidding me spider. you cant even put Clarett in the same sentence with those other guys.
why not ?
Portis left college early , to get Drafted , then Pissed all over his own contract ....
People found things to say bad about Dj Williams , just ask So Cal ...... Hell I thought DJ will get burned by the P.A.P. more then he did .....
Bell , People found things to say about him , I was one of the He cant read a Blitz pick up .... He proved me wrong ......
my entire point is AZ , It doesnt matter what Player we bring in or brought in , People will find somthign to bitch about ........

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 04:42 PM
well if we want to throw Mud , we still have the way Tom Landry was fired .....
I dont doubt Parcells told Clarrett 4 th round ...... and I seriously doubt that had anything to do with Denver Drafting Clarrett , if the Chiefs , Raiders, or the Chargers said somthing about Drafting Clarrett , then I could see Denver doing somthing ( the entire AFC west is that way , screw each other and Hope we dont get screwed )
I realy dont think Denver gives a rats ass what the Cowboys do ........

No of course not...why would Denver care if another team was going to take a player they wanted before they could get him? It's not like that would have anything to do with them trying to get to him first now is it? WTF??? Look...I'm the biggest Cowboys hater there is...and Jones is a scumbucket in my opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to ASSUME he's lying when the other side of the story is coming from...Maurice Clarett.

This is not that tough.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 05:34 PM
why not ?
Portis left college early , to get Drafted , then Pissed all over his own contract ....
People found things to say bad about Dj Williams , just ask So Cal ...... Hell I thought DJ will get burned by the P.A.P. more then he did .....
Bell , People found things to say about him , I was one of the He cant read a Blitz pick up .... He proved me wrong ......
my entire point is AZ , It doesnt matter what Player we bring in or brought in , People will find somthign to bitch about ........
Who could ever forget Bell's helmet is too big so he might be a bust.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Well thank you all for showing me the error of my ways. I've learned the following:

1. It took less than an hour after the draft for Maurice to go from lazy, sneaky and unscrupulous to Mr. Trusted and Reliable. Funny how that jersey color changes things so quickly but a nice turnaround for Maurice. I commend him.

2. Anyone not in Denver who disputes something he/his agent says must be lying, because after all...they're not in Denver.

3. If ESPN said it it must be true.

4. The same agent who was "shocked" his client went on the last pick of the 3rd round was fully expecting him to go 8 picks later. I can understand that, why not?

Thank you for pointing out my idiocy. I'm now fully thrilled with our draft. I'm glad we used half our draft to take guys ranked lower than we took 'em and that we've got 10 corners in camp and nobody to play left guard, and I'M REALY glad we have a 35 y/o starting W/R but 7 tailbacks and took a guy with ties to professional gambling and other sleazy stuff...because after all...character guys are pansies, who needs 'em? I'm especially glad to know that differences of opinion equate to me being a "moron".

Nice.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
You're doing better than I am, because the only thing I learned was that you are a moron.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 05:59 PM
How bout dealing with the FACTS TJ? Explain this:

1. Agent is "shocked" his client goes at the end of round 3.

2. Agent is "expecting" his client to go 8 picks later.

Explain please.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 06:03 PM
1. I liked the idea of Clarett in a Broncos jersey prior to him being drafted here. That hasn't changed.

2. Who the hell cares what his agent says in the first place? What's the point of your little tirade?

3. ESPN, the world sports authority, has a lot more credibility than you do.

4. Still talking about his agent? What is your point here? That Shanahan made decisions based on what an agent told him? If this is your point, you are a moron.

5. If you don't like the draft, that's fine. That happens every year. That's nothing new. But if you're going to slander people based on your irrational hatred of them, you'll do better than to come up with the take that Maurice Clarett is starting his career on a lie told to Shanahan, which in turn forced Shanahan to make a decision before he wanted to. That's the worst take I've heard all offseason. And this offseason has been the worst in terms of worst takes of the offseason...

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Well thank you all for showing me the error of my ways. I've learned the following:

1. It took less than an hour after the draft for Maurice to go from lazy, sneaky and unscrupulous to Mr. Trusted and Reliable. Funny how that jersey color changes things so quickly but a nice turnaround for Maurice. I commend him.

2. Anyone not in Denver who disputes something he/his agent says must be lying, because after all...they're not in Denver.

3. If ESPN said it it must be true.

4. The same agent who was "shocked" his client went on the last pick of the 3rd round was fully expecting him to go 8 picks later. I can understand that, why not?

Nice.
First you accuse Maurice lying without inevitable proof. So we put out some counter argument. You went on bashing until we brought out another perspective.

Second, without you there has been enough clarett bashing and you make an accusation of him lying right off the bat. Totally ridiculous and not only that its a pretty well known agent tactic if it happened to be true. So get a life

Thank you for pointing out my idiocy. I'm now fully thrilled with our draft. I'm glad we used half our draft to take guys ranked lower than we took 'em and that we've got 10 corners in camp and nobody to play left guard, and I'M REALY glad we have a 35 y/o starting W/R but 7 tailbacks and took a guy with ties to professional gambling and other sleazy stuff...because after all...character guys are pansies, who needs 'em? I'm especially glad to know that differences of opinion equate to me being a "moron".

And the fact that the this paragraph doesnt have anything to do with Clarett lying. So was your whole agenda to bash the pick instead of talk about his lies?

Good one.

BigPlayShay
04-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Clarett is going to kick some a** next season...

...for the Hamburg Sea Devils.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 06:04 PM

Explain please.

1. Shanahan isn't making decisions based on what agents tell him.

2. Only a moron would believe that he is.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 06:06 PM
And you know what... I'll raise you one... What player on the Broncos draft board did Shanahan miss out on by taking Clarett where he did?

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 06:08 PM

Explain please.
just because they talked doesnt mean it was a fricking guarantee.

Show me this.

Pick Six
04-24-2005, 06:13 PM
I have suspicions that this guy will be trouble, but there is not a better situation than in Denver for Maurice Clarett. If he is to make it in the NFL, he'll make it here. We make stars out of running backs. As Shanahan and Turner said, it's up to him to take advantage of the situation. I will be rooting for whoever will carry our team to victory. If that is Clarett, then fantastic.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
1. Shanahan isn't making decisions based on what agents tell him.

2. Only a moron would believe that he is.

Hmmm...I seem to recall that Shanahan called his agent to ask two questions:

1. Shanahan: Is Maurice in shape?
Agent: Yes he is.

2. Shanahan: Does Maurice have his head screwed on straight?
Agent: Yes he does.

Then he drafted him. Now PLEASE tell me why it doesn't make sense to you that the idea that this guy/his agent may have perpetuated a story to Denver that the Cowboys were going to take him just EIGHT PICKS later, might not have influenced Shanahan's decision. If Shanahan wanted him there is every reason to believe he WOULD act on informaion if he thought it reliable. I'm not bashing Shanahan for doing that anyway...how many times do NFL teams try to move up in front of another team they beleive is targeting a player they want? Happens all the time.

You're problem is that you think because I heard this on a Dallas radio station that it's automatically false. FYI-I'm not a Dallas fan. I'm simply reporting what Jones said, which is that he denies that the coversation took place. This whole board is full of "hatred" as you call if for Maurice. I don't "hate" this guy. I simply think he's a bad guy. I think he's a major character risk and a cancerous sore waiting to happen. It seems popular opinion in here was about 90% in my favor, or up till 2 hours ago it was anyway. Now that you hear something reported that makes it appear as if the story put out might be false...blame the messenger.

And you know what... I'll raise you one... What player on the Broncos draft board did Shanahan miss out on by taking Clarett where he did?And you know what... I'll raise you one... What player on the Broncos draft board did Shanahan miss out on by taking Clarett where he did?

TJ...Since I'm not looking at the Broncos draft board (and neither are you) it's an unanswerable question. However there were numerous players ranked WAY higher than this guy available when they took him. Or is it your contention that the rest of the league would have done the same thing we did?

I hope Clarret pans out since he's here on the team. That doesn't mean I have to ignore the obvious, that he's a guy you keep an eye on and that he's got MILES to go before anyone should be thinking of accepting what he says at face value.

Frankly I think swallowing anything this guy says without a healthy dose of critical thinking is a little more foolish than maintaining a skeptical approach and watching to see what happens.

Drek
04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
And you know what... I'll raise you one... What player on the Broncos draft board did Shanahan miss out on by taking Clarett where he did? Lets not go into that, its pretty obvious our draft board wasn't too hot of ****, if it had Paymah as the 76th best player overall.

We drafted all 6 picks but one as need picks, that one was a reach on Clarrett. He, like the rest of this draft class, has a lot of work ahead of them.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
And you know what... I'll raise you one... What player on the Broncos draft board did Shanahan miss out on by taking Clarett where he did?
Any one of a hundred or so?

Rock Chalk
04-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Any one of a hundred or so?

I think what Taco was getting at is that we had no 4th or 5th round picks so if we wanted Clarett (which we obviously did) we ahd to take him with that last 3rd rounder.

Whoever we missed out on was just as big of a question mark as Clarett was.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Show me this.

Look on your draft list to see where the Cowboys were drafting in the fourth round.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Whoever we missed out on was just as big of a question mark as Clarett was.

That's possible talent-wise since this was considered a weak draft after the first 20 or so picks with their being a lot of parity but definitely NOT true of the other issues.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Show me this.

Look on your draft list to see where the Cowboys were drafting in the fourth round.
What does that mean? expound on that.

Plus you have no conclusive proof that the agent said that.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 06:44 PM
The Broncos called with some questions, though. They asked Feldman (Clarett's agent) if Clarett was in good shape physically. Feldman said he was. Then they asked if Clarett's head was on straight. Feldman said it was.

Thanks Beerslug...I saw the audio on the website but didn't have time to find the text. Point made.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 06:45 PM
You're problem is that you think because I heard this on a Dallas radio station that it's automatically false.

No. My problem is that I don't care one way or the other. We got the guy that we wanted. My problem has nothing to do with the Dallas media. My problem is with idiots who want to slander the kid because of their irrational hatred of the guy.

TJ...Since I'm not looking at the Broncos draft board (and neither are you) it's an unanswerable question. However there were numerous players ranked WAY higher than this guy available when they took him. Or is it your contention that the rest of the league would have done the same thing we did?

I can tell you this about the Broncos draft board: They got the guy that they were targeting. Period. The Broncos wanted Clarett, and they got him. Not only did they get him, but they sent a clear message to him about what they think about him by drafting him where they did.

And this whole joke where Clarice is a conniving little liar who is so evil that he orchestrated a plot to insert himself into the Broncos roster is ridiculous. I can't believe you're not a little embarassed at what a manipulative little crybaby you look like for advancing such foolishness...

Frankly I think swallowing anything this guy says without a healthy dose of critical thinking is a little more foolish than maintaining a skeptical approach and watching to see what happens.

The next time you mix in some critical thinking into your takes here will be the first I've seen.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 06:46 PM

You're missing something here...the whole argument is about the fact that Bill Parcells allegedly told the agent that the Cowboys were taking Maurice in the 4th round. If he told him that, the 8th spot is where he'd have expected him to go since that's where they drafted in the 4th round. Simple.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 06:50 PM

You're missing something here...the whole argument is about the fact that Bill Parcells allegedly told the agent that the Cowboys were taking Maurice in the 4th round. If he told him that, the 8th spot is where he'd have expected him to go since that's where they drafted in the 4th round. Simple.
its actually 8th and 31th
http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/round/round4

But what does the spot have to do with something else?

Arent we talking about Clarett being a liar at the damn moment he entered the NFL?

Taco John
04-24-2005, 06:54 PM
That's possible talent-wise since this was considered a weak draft after the first 20 or so picks with their being a lot of parity but definitely NOT true of the other issues.

What other issues are you concerned about? Him covering up for his coach for securing him a loaner car? THE MONSTER! Not rolling over on the team, boosters and coaches when the spotlight got hot? What is your big concern about this kid that you'd come in here like you've got a better perspective on runningback value than The Denver Broncos>

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 06:57 PM
My problem has nothing to do with the Dallas media. My problem is with idiots who want to slander the kid because of their irrational hatred of the guy.

As I have patiently explained to you already, I don't "hate" Clarett. I just think he's a bad guy to have on your team. Why exactly is Maurice Clarett's personal character NOT an acceptable issue in your mind TJ? Is it because he's a Bronco now? Since this guy has a LONG history of lying, cheating, backstabbing, filing a false police report, and God only knows what else, why are you not slightly suspicious when you hear something that is obviously contradictory like this.

If you like the pick that's fine. He may turn out to be a great player. I have no idea. I'm more interested in how the decision to draft him was made and why they tookl him when they did when virtually nobody else would have. Maybe the Bobby Turner magic will work on this guy maybe not. It's not automatic.

And this whole joke where Clarice is a conniving little liar who is so evil that he orchestrated a plot to insert himself into the Broncos roster is ridiculous. I can't believe you're not a little embarassed at what a manipulative little crybaby you look like for advancing such foolishness...

Yea, you're right...I can't imagine why anyone would think that a guy who hired a lawyer and sued the NFL for early entry, lost his case and then tried to take it all the way to the Supeme Court in order to enter last years draft might not pull a little hanky panky with the help of his agent to induce any interested NFL teams to taking him higher than he should have went. Ridiculous.

If he did do so, it's probably not the biggest crime in the world but IMO this dude needs to be WAY cleaner and MUCH more on the level than anybody else who got drafted this year. He's got something to prove and these little shadow games don't impress me that he's suddenly bent on doing that.

Now perhaps you can apologize for the "moron" comment since I and Beerslug both showed you where Shanny DID seek out infor from his agent on Clarret before drafting him. But if not...NSOMT...

Spider
04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
No of course not...why would Denver care if another team was going to take a player they wanted before they could get him?
Oh I think Denver didnt care either way , this Pick was for Turner , if he is there great , if not so what ..... it realy isnt a make or break Pick for the mighty Denver Broncos

It's not like that would have anything to do with them trying to get to him first now is it? WTF???
Well I am sure Turner had moreto do with this Pick then the Cowpokes ........

Look...I'm the biggest Cowboys hater there is...and Jones is a scumbucket in my opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to ASSUME he's lying when the other side of the story is coming from...Maurice Clarett.
assume what ever you want , I could care less ........ if you think Clarrett is bull****ting so be it , all I did was point out Jones doesnt have a spotless record , Niether does Parcells , or did you forget that Whole I wont be coaching the Cowboys lie ?

This is not that tough.
you are right it isnt , think back to Parcells lying to ESPN , an every one else about coaching again ...... All I ask is you think before you post ....

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Clarett time line not including quitting in the middle of the combine.
He definitely has a history of being less than truthful.

--------------------------------------------------

Aug. 20, 2002 - Listed as starting running back, the first time a freshman has opened as the starter at the position since 1943.

October 2002 - Misses two games with an injured left shoulder. Says he has received dozens of pieces of hate mail from Ohio State fans since an ESPN The Magazine article earlier in the month that quoted him saying he's thought about leaving college early for the NFL.

Nov. 23, 2002 - After returning from injury, rushes for 119 yards on 20 carries, scores on a 2-yard run and sets up another touchdown with a 26-yard pass reception in a 14-9 win over Michigan that boosts Buckeyes into Fiesta Bowl showdown with Miami.

December 2002 - Angrily blasts Ohio State officials for not allowing him to fly home to Youngstown for the funeral of a friend, then accuses university administrators of lying when they say he didn't file necessary paperwork for emergency financial aid for the flight.

Jan. 3, 2003 - Dives into the end zone on a 5-yard run, providing the winning score in a 31-24 double-overtime victory over Miami to give Ohio State its first national title in 34 years.

July 12, 2003 - The New York Times quotes a teaching assistant at Ohio State who says Clarett received "preferential treatment." She says he walked out of a midterm exam but ended up passing the class after the professor gave him an oral exam.

July 29, 2003 - Ohio State confirms the NCAA is investigating Clarett's claim that more than $10,000 in clothing, CDs, cash and stereo equipment was stolen in April from a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that Clarett had borrowed from a local dealership.

Sept. 9, 2003 - Clarett charged with misdemeanor falsification for the police report on the theft. The charge carries a penalty ranging from probation to six months in jail and $1,000 fine.

Sept. 10, 2003 - Athletic director Andy Geiger announces Clarett is suspended for the season. Geiger says Clarett received special benefits worth thousands of dollars from a family friend and repeatedly misled investigators.

Sept. 23, 2003 - Clarett sues the NFL, challenging the rule that a player must be out of high school three years to be eligible for the draft.

Dec. 17, 2003 - Ohio State says university committee finds no evidence to support allegations of academic misconduct by athletes, including Clarett.

Jan. 14, 2004 - Clarett pleads guilty in Franklin County Municipal Court to failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a lesser charge than lying on a police report. Judge Mark S. Froehlich orders him to pay the maximum fine of $100.

Spider
04-24-2005, 07:05 PM

Well if his agent was expecting Clarrett to be taken in the 4 th , Being shocked by being last in the 3 rd realy isnt that big of a stretch Spanky .....

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Why exactly is Maurice Clarett's personal character NOT an acceptable issue in your mind TJ?

Maybe you should explain to me why it should be...

Yea, you're right...I can't imagine why anyone would think that a guy who hired a lawyer and sued the NFL for early entry, lost his case and then tried to take it all the way to the Supeme Court in order to enter last years draft might not pull a little hanky panky with the help of his agent to induce any interested NFL teams to taking him higher than he should have went. Ridiculous.

It's as if you are doing whatever you can NOT to have a legitimate point.
1) Who cares if he sued the NFL. 2) Who cares if he tried to position himself to be drafted in the first day. What is your point?

Now perhaps you can apologize for the "moron" comment since I and Beerslug both showed you where Shanny DID seek out infor from his agent on Clarret before drafting him. But if not...NSOMT...

You clearly lack comprehension. Shanahan little conversation with his agent before the actual pick was nothing more than chit chat. I called you a moron because you don't recognize this. It was sprinkles on the already made sundae. It was the lemon on the already poured Hefeweisen. The decision had already been made. Shanahan didn't pull the trigger because his agent answer in the affirmative to those questions. You want me to congratulate you on finding a quote that has absolutely zero significance to the actual decision made. This thing has been in motion for months already.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Well if his agent was expecting Clarrett to be taken in the 4 th , Being shocked by being last in the 3 rd realy isnt that big of a stretch Spanky .....

If I was expecting to go on the second day, and got a call at the very end of the first day, I'd imagine that would be pretty shocking...

Jens1893
04-24-2005, 07:10 PM
It was the lemon on the already poured Hefeweisen.

You only get a lemon on a Kristallweizen, TJ. :)

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 07:11 PM
What is your big concern about this kid that you'd come in here like you've got a better perspective on runningback value than The Denver Broncos>

I suppose I was under the mistaken impression that this forum was about offering OPINIONS, whether or not they jived with the team's official party line...

My bad.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:14 PM
What is your big concern about this kid that you'd come in here like you've got a better perspective on runningback value than The Denver Broncos>

I suppose I was under the mistaken impression that this forum was about offering OPINIONS, whether or not they jived with the team's official party line...

My bad.

Interesting tactic... Instead of answering the question, you choose to play the victim who is not allowed to speak his opinion...

The real problem that you have is that you are freely allowed to speak your opinion, whether it connects with reality or not.

Please answer the question...

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 07:15 PM

My bad.

Keep on spinning.

Second, people are allowed to have opinions on how other's opinion suck too. Not necessary or necessarily a good thing but it happens.

"TO EACH'S OWN"

Remember that.

Spider
04-24-2005, 07:15 PM

My bad.
Point is , every one deserves a second chance , Lawerence Phillips got one , and Clarett isnt even close to being the Scum he is , Hell look at Clarence Kay , he was a bad one ....... we can go on and on about Players getting a second chance ..... Relax , Lets see what Clarett Brings to the table ..... Chances are being out of football for 2 years Probably Hurt Clarett more then we can imagine ... Sounds to me Clarett has matured ......

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:16 PM
You only get a lemon on a Kristallweizen, TJ. :)

Not in America... ;)

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Why exactly is Maurice Clarett's personal character NOT an acceptable issue in your mind TJ?

Well on that note I can only assume perhaps this is an ender, since I know you aren't this clueless. You're obviously looking for a fight. I'm not going to give you one. Nuggets are on.

out

Sodak
04-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Wow... the newb likes to argue. That takes too much energy.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Point is , every one deserves a second chance , Lawerence Phillips got one , and Clarett isnt even close to being the Scum he is , Hell look at Clarence Kay , he was a bad one ....... we can go on and on about Players getting a second chance ..... Relax , Lets see what Clarett Brings to the table ..... Chances are being out of football for 2 years Probably Hurt Clarett more then we can imagine ... Sounds to me Clarett has matured ......
Don't know about you but I'm getting pretty tired of Shanahan giving problem players second, third and fourth chances. Fill in the blank _____

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 07:20 PM

Aug. 20, 2002 - Listed as starting running back, the first time a freshman has opened as the starter at the position since 1943.

October 2002 - Misses two games with an injured left shoulder. Says he has received dozens of pieces of hate mail from Ohio State fans since an ESPN The Magazine article earlier in the month that quoted him saying he's thought about leaving college early for the NFL.

Nov. 23, 2002 - After returning from injury, rushes for 119 yards on 20 carries, scores on a 2-yard run and sets up another touchdown with a 26-yard pass reception in a 14-9 win over Michigan that boosts Buckeyes into Fiesta Bowl showdown with Miami.

December 2002 - Angrily blasts Ohio State officials for not allowing him to fly home to Youngstown for the funeral of a friend, then accuses university administrators of lying when they say he didn't file necessary paperwork for emergency financial aid for the flight.

Jan. 3, 2003 - Dives into the end zone on a 5-yard run, providing the winning score in a 31-24 double-overtime victory over Miami to give Ohio State its first national title in 34 years.

July 12, 2003 - The New York Times quotes a teaching assistant at Ohio State who says Clarett received "preferential treatment." She says he walked out of a midterm exam but ended up passing the class after the professor gave him an oral exam.

July 29, 2003 - Ohio State confirms the NCAA is investigating Clarett's claim that more than $10,000 in clothing, CDs, cash and stereo equipment was stolen in April from a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that Clarett had borrowed from a local dealership.

Sept. 9, 2003 - Clarett charged with misdemeanor falsification for the police report on the theft. The charge carries a penalty ranging from probation to six months in jail and $1,000 fine.

Sept. 10, 2003 - Athletic director Andy Geiger announces Clarett is suspended for the season. Geiger says Clarett received special benefits worth thousands of dollars from a family friend and repeatedly misled investigators.

Sept. 23, 2003 - Clarett sues the NFL, challenging the rule that a player must be out of high school three years to be eligible for the draft.

Dec. 17, 2003 - Ohio State says university committee finds no evidence to support allegations of academic misconduct by athletes, including Clarett.

Jan. 14, 2004 - Clarett pleads guilty in Franklin County Municipal Court to failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a lesser charge than lying on a police report. Judge Mark S. Froehlich orders him to pay the maximum fine of $100.
Wow old news.

I cant believe you brought this up.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Well on that note I can only assume perhaps this is an ender, since I know you aren't this clueless. You're obviously looking for a fight. I'm not going to give you one. Nuggets are on.

out

Just like I thought... Another kid with his head filled with empty-headed hype. I'm well aware of Maurice's past. I am unconcerned. I'd be happy to have a discussion with you on Maurice's past and any specific concerns you have about it. But if you can't come up with specific concerns, and prefer to stick to just generally slandering the kid, that's your perogative too.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow old news.

I cant believe you brought this up.
It doesn't apply now for some reason?

Spider
04-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Don't know about you but I'm getting pretty tired of Shanahan giving problem players second, third and fourth chances. Fill in the blank _____
well look at this way bout time we hit pay dirt

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Which part is the part that makes him such a bad human being?

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 07:25 PM
old news.

It could be applied but the kid wants a new start. Its not like he's been committing those kind of acts continously.

This was before he wanted to change.

And Im so sorry that I brought up a totally different perspective on this man.
How dare I go against the media and the majority rule.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Which part is the part that makes him such a bad human being?
He's another player with of questionable character. He's lied to the police and university investigators. He's quit when the going gets tough. He has only one incomplete college season as experience. As of now he is over weight, out of shape and SLOW!
We have a horrible track record with these kind of players!

If he completely reverses course and changes his personalty, work habits and becomes an NFL football player, I'll eat all my words but I don't see much of a chance of that happening.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:41 PM
He's another player with of questionable character. He's lied to the police and university investigators. He's quit when the going gets tough. He has only one incomplete college season as experience. As of now he is over weight, out of shape and SLOW!
We have a horrible track record with these kind of players!

If he completely reverses course and changes his personalty, work habits and becomes an NFL football player, I'll eat all my words but I don't see much of a chance of that happening.

Blah blah blah... This whole "questionable character" stuff is weak. This kid did nothing more than take what was given to him, and then tried to cover up for himself and everybody else when the heat was on. Personally, I could care less because I think these kids should be paid for the amount of money they generate for their Universities. But more than that, how does that "character flaw" translate into trouble in the locker room?

And this garbage that he's out of shape is some of the most ignorant stuff I've read all offseason.

Maurice isn't going to have to reverse course to be a player in this league. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing: Working out hard, and taking what they give.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 07:44 PM
And this garbage that he's out of shape is some of the most ignorant stuff I've read all offseason.

I just ignore that now.

No one listens....

Play2win
04-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Hey, if he helps the Broncos win ballgames, I'm for it. Thats all that matters in the end, Does he or does he not make us win more ballgames?

If he is one of the best 53 player Shanahan can put on the field, all the power in the world to him.

If he is one of the 53 player that will give us the BEST chance to win Ballgames, then I'm for it.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 07:54 PM
I just ignore that now.

No one listens....

I can't believe how much disinformation is out there about this kid...

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Blah blah blah... This whole "questionable character" stuff is weak. This kid did nothing more than take what was given to him, and then tried to cover up for himself and everybody else when the heat was on. Personally, I could care less because I think these kids should be paid for the amount of money they generate for their Universities. But more than that, how does that "character flaw" translate into trouble in the locker room?

Maurice isn't going to have to reverse course to be a player in this league. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing: Working out hard, and taking what they give.

So it's OK to violate the rules if you're just "taking what's given to you"?
It's OK to lie to authorities? It's OK to quit if the going gets tough?
These are all character traits (which in his case is not a good thing).

People mean "football" shape as he is nowhere near ready to play having been out of the game for 2 years.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 08:01 PM

First he wants to change from that. Its been quite a while and hes been working hard without getting in trouble.

People mean "football" shape as he is nowhere near ready to play having been out of the game for 2 years.

and no thats not what you said first.

. As of now he is over weight, out of shape and SLOW!

BS right there.

SoCalBronco
04-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Maurice will be fine. I am happy to have him here.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-24-2005, 08:03 PM
First he wants to change from that. Its been quite a while and hes been working hard without getting in trouble.

and no thats not what you said first.

BS right there.
Show me where he's in shape, not overweight and fast.

SoCalBronco
04-24-2005, 08:07 PM

See the NFL network shots of his private workout just a few weeks ago at his high school.

Taco John
04-24-2005, 08:14 PM

Just ask his agent. Apparently that's all Shanahan did.

ØrangeÇrush
04-24-2005, 08:35 PM
As for being a cancer with the team, I don't think so. Not that this means much, but if you all saw Tory Holt when we took him, he looked very happy. I can't believe that most players coming out(underclassmen especially), have not privately said "WTF" why should I have to wait till I'm a junior to go out and make money doing this? Instead I have to risk my future earnings that I won't get injured. Willis McGahhee is a perfect example..He was a top 5 pick and slid down to the late teens.. a loss of several million dollars. The only reason he went so high is because his agent and himself did so much promoting. He HAD to play that year because of the underclassmen rule and lost money while making it for the NCAA. Did they reimburse him for the loss??? Did they give a rats ass??? Nope, they were to busy trying to get 12 teams in the conference so they could start having a play off. As Chris Rock says, I'm not saying what Maurice did was right, but I understand. (unquoted due to paraphrasing. :) ) I absolutely like this pick, and if there is ever a player that is coming in with something to prove to the world, it's Maurice Clarett.

Tredici
04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Either the kid was well schooled in what not to say or from the heart sincere in his press conference. Either way I have to grudgingly admit I liked him better than the first time I saw Clinton Portis open his mouth.

Here's to some maturity and making the most out of the opportunity the guy has been offered.

Sodak
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Either the kid was well schooled in what not to say or from the heart sincere in his press conference. Either way I have to grudgingly admit I liked him better than the first time I saw Clinton Portis open his mouth.

Here's to some maturity and making the most out of the opportunity the guy has been offered.

Good point. Nobody ever questioned Portis' "maturity", yet he's the biggest goof out there. Fuzzy pink hat, championship belt, cartoon pajamas, et al.
That kind of dumb sh t cannot be confused with either maturity OR fashion.

DB-Freak
04-24-2005, 10:02 PM
For the Clarett Convertees................your new wall paper.....

http://img35.echo.cx/img35/9259/clarett6yy.jpg

edit- By the way its MONTROSE's

04-24-2005, 10:04 PM
For the Clarett Convertees................your new wall paper.....

edit- By the way its MONTROSE's

Someone should tell Clarett the endzone is not in the rockies.

FADERPROOF
04-24-2005, 10:06 PM

The jersey he is now wearing is the reason is doesnt apply.

Northman
04-25-2005, 03:34 AM
Just ask his agent. Apparently that's all Shanahan did.

of course there is no bias there right? :)

crazyhorse
04-25-2005, 07:26 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=616159#post616159

:kiddingme

Drek
04-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Not sure if it had been posted, but here's an excerpt from one of Peter King's articles today:

(Except, from what I hear now, to two teams near the top of the fourth round who might have taken Clarett early on the second day of the draft if he was still available.)

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-therealdraftsur&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns)

So it appears where we took Clarett wasn't such a reach, if we wanted to get him.

04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Priest had a hip injury that was like that Bo Jacksons..bottomline....Clarett was better than Johnson when we woke up this morning

Jesus you are stupid.

Archer81
04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
KC fans should recognize how important depth is, especially at running back. Bell, Dayne and Clarett is a solid trio, especially in denver's scheme. Even griffin, if he makes the final roster, can fill in for a game or two.

DarkHorse30
04-25-2005, 10:53 AM

Good call. Funny to see a chieffan complain about their own first round pick in '03....especially when they really DON'T want to see him start instead of Holmes.

Atlas
04-25-2005, 10:56 AM

Clarett was a 3rd round draft pick. Doesn't take an Einstein to see the difference. Another stupid thread.

I love neg rep chef fan. Crazy horse at this rate you'll have just as many black bricks as Bob.

DB-Freak
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM

Who said Bell was like TD? I really want to see it. I heard comparisons with Portis and all but TD?

Nope you got the wrong number.

Tredici
04-25-2005, 11:09 AM

The Clarett pick came as a surprise. If I would've realized the connection Bobby Turner has with OSU it probably would've been less so. That being said, if the kid can play he fits the Denver prototype perfectly. Which is why every back Denver picks has the potential to be the next Terrell Davis.

Denver didn't have a 4th or 5th round pick. If they had targeted the kid, they couldn't trust he would stay on the board. So not all that funny.

I'm not sure you can play the injury card any better than the Broncos can. Last season Tatum Bell was hurt in pre-season. So was Mike Anderson. They started the year with Quentin Griffith. Who was hurt. Enter a FULLBACK named Reuben Droughns. And you think worry about Holmes hip justified a first round pick?

Ummm..okay.

Next time you rush to poke at Bronco fans, think it out a bit more.

clarker
04-25-2005, 11:12 AM

Second, how much money would you have paid a 5th round pick?What reason did the Chiefs have to draft Larry Johnson? Didn't they have Blaylock as a back up for Holmes.

The Broncos draft a RB every year. They know what type of back fits their offense and RB's average 4 years for an NFL career, so you can always use depth at RB. I think the Broncos results with running backs speak is pretty clear.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Just like I thought... Another kid with his head filled with empty-headed hype.

LOL...I'm no kid, nor a newbie as the other suggested. You and I go WAY back...before this board started...and getting sucked into the vortex :stuck: of circular reasoning with troll bait holds no fascination here...

Taco John
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM

To be frankly honest with you, I don't think even one of these things matters. I certainly don't see them as "character issues" that would prevent me from selecting him. If he were beating his woman with a Tech Nine like Larry Johnson, you'd have a point. If he were shoplifting watches, I'd be uncomfortable. If he were dealing drugs, I'd take issue...

You are ignorant if you think that him taking money from boosters is an isolated incident that every other star on that team (and EVERY OTHER NCAA team) isn't already doing. Is that any sort of legitimate defense for him breaking the rules? Maybe not... But the only reason Clarett got singled out was because he challenged the system, NOT because he was the only one doing it. Personally, I don't expect 19 year olds to turn down cars and clothes. I already stated that I think that the rules are stupid (even arbitrary), and I'm the type who a little uncomformist when it comes to following rules that I believe to be stupid.

Well, I can believe "people" or I can believe "Turner." Besides, nobody is in football shape in April and May... That's what training camp is for...

Bronco Yoda
04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
I hope Claretts agent DID fib about this silly Dallas thing (as if this would make the decision for Mike anyway). How about them apples?!

I hope Clarett twisted his arm off to do it in the process. Just shows how much he wanted to be a Bronco that muc more.

I can't believe I wasted my time in reading all this trolling. Good Gawd man!

Turner has been in contact with Clarett the last two years. If he vouches for him that's good enough for me right now. He knows about these running backs more than all of us put together.

Claretts got HUGE upside and very little downside. 3 round compensatory pick.... not the end of the world. Bell will be our starter anyway.

Some people are acting as if our Offense is depending on this guy when he may not even touch the ball this year. And when all is said and done, we may just end up trading him down the line for value.

Wait until Clarett goes through camp, interacts with team and coaches and plays in a few games before we tar and feather the guy.

NEXT.....

Taco John
04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
LOL...I'm no kid, nor a newbie as the other suggested. You and I go WAY back...before this board started...and getting sucked into the vortex :stuck: of circular reasoning with troll bait holds no fascination here...

A day later and my head isn't so hot... Reading so much pessimism from Broncos fans lights my fuse... We've just had an influx of new posters, and some of the younger ones have come up with takes that looked like they came straight out of the gutter.

I can understand why people don't like Maurice Clarett. I was there at one point in time... But I changed my mind on the kid when I changed my stance on the NFL's age requirement.

The part of your take that set me off, however, was the part where Shanahan's decision to take Clarett in the third round was based on anything Clarett's agent said. Shanahan obviously had designs on this kid. I think it's very weak for anyone to come in here and insult everyone's intelligence by saying that Shanahan drafted Clarett based on a "lie" that Clarett (or his aget) told. And then to further say that the slander on Clarett wasn't based on hate for the kid... that's a tough story to swallow.

Plus, there are still a lot of reports out there saying that he'd have been taken early in the 4th round...

ro_50
04-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I think the media has portrayed Clarett as someone like Lawrence Phillips. I dont ever remembering Clarett ever beating his girlfriend, assaulting people or trying to break into his neighbors home like Cecil Collins.

He was arrested for a minor incident, which I cant remember what it was and as many on here have stated, he challenged the system by wanting to come out early and told Tom Friend of ESPN the magazine of his benefits he recieved and he got suspended when he lied to investigators or he mislead them. That is a mistake, but he's learned his lesson and can move on. He's a kid and sometimes in this business, w/ the media types and everyone else, they forget these are 21, 22 or 20 year old kids that could make a mistake or two.

And Clarett is coming to the best situation possible for him and his career.

And from what I saw as a freshman at Ohio St. on TV, he was pretty decent as a true freshman.

And his running style fits the Broncos system.

TheReverend
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
I haven't changed my mind about the NFL's age requirements (how frustrating would it be to have a key player suspended for underage drinking?), I think players need to show they can perform at a higher level and show that they can continue progressing in the sport.

Now that being said I'm actually starting to believe Clarett learned his lesson. A lot of the scenes he caused drove me crazy. I got my hands on a newspaper in Iraq around this time last year (130 degree heat, no AC, and angry locals trying to kill you while you earn less than minimum wage) to read about him appealing the courts yet again and whining about how lifes not fair and Ohio State giving him benefits to correct his character concerns. His life's not fair?! I wanted him to appreciate his gifts and shut up and play ball. But it's a year later and like he says "Water under the bridge."

Will he be good in the NFL? Was it a reach? Maybe but who cares. We draft RBs better than anyone else. Let them work and do what they do. They make a ****load of $ for it, we criticize for free for a reason.

broncohaven
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
All the posturing aside, I think this kid could be a great addition to the team. I don't think he'll challenge Bell for the starting job. Bell's speed makes him a threat to go the distnce every time he touches the ball, but I think that Mo could be great in the red zone. He's got great vision, he's powerful, and with everything that's gone on since he left OSU he'll be running harder than ever.

He could provide the short yardage punch we've lacked for a few years now.

Drek
04-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I don't think he'll challenge Bell for the starting job. Never know, Clarett at Ohio State their championship year put up some big runs on an absolutely stacked Miami defense.

What sets Clarett apart is that when he's in playing shape he is an amazing after contact runner. He spins like a top away from contact, looses very little momentum, and is just as hard for the next guy to take down. Thats a rare skill that only great runningbacks have. Regardless of who Clarett might be as a person, he has that latent ability to shrug off tacklers, and thats what makes him so interesting. Then again, Lawrence Phillips had it too, and we all know what happened with him.

FADERPROOF
04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Never know, Clarett at Ohio State their championship year put up some big runs on an absolutely stacked Miami defense.

Not really, maybe a couple 5-10 yarders, but his YPC was around 2.1, his short game was decent and thats what got us in the endzone on goalline situations, but he didnt have his way or anything near that against Miami.

Taco John
04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
I can't wait to see this kid run... I wish I could get my hands on some OSU games from their championship season now...

FADERPROOF
04-25-2005, 06:47 PM
http://www.volnation.com/forum/uploads/post-1-1114449104.jpg

LOL

Ratboy
04-25-2005, 06:52 PM
I can't wait to see this kid run... I wish I could get my hands on some OSU games from their championship season now...

Go to bestbuy. Maybe they will have a DVD on their season? They have a few of the broncos.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2005, 07:51 PM
The part of your take that set me off, however, was the part where Shanahan's decision to take Clarett in the third round was based on anything Clarett's agent said.

I have to say that after several years of defending Shanahan's coaching and handling of the team and his drafting, I've finally come around to believing that this guy has lost his edge. I'm of the opinion he's got to go and every new questionable decision, bad trade, wasted pick or little incident like this just makes me beleive that more.

Within this larger context, Shanahans own statement makes it sound like he was relying on the agent's word for information, something that would be bizzare to say the least. That may not be what happened and the stuff about Bobby Turner talking to him for two years is new info to me but if that's the case why not just talk about that part of it? What's up with the "I called his agent and asked him this 'n that and so we made the decision to take him.." stuff? That sounds VERY odd and in fact I simply responded to what Shanahan himself said in his own words.

What started this argument in the first place was me reporting what Jones said here in Dallas in response to the question of Dallas' interest. The point is that this kid's background automatically causes one to look at things he says with a certain degree of skepticism because he's got a history. I'm hardly alone in that. Most of the entire NFL looks at him with reservations about what he says or does.

The fact that the agent expressed such shock at going to Denver in the 3rd round when 1) He'd apparently been in contact with Turner for 2 years already and presumably knew Denver's interest, and 2) was supposedly assured by Parcells of Dallas taking him just a few picks later, does two things for me. First, it makes me wonder why there's a discrepancy of facts in his story, and second, whose telling the truth? If all this comes back to Shanahan's competence as a draft artist, it is hardly the only ammunition one needs to question that, but it certainly gives me even more reason for questions about what is going on in their draft war room than I already had.

Shanahan obviously had designs on this kid. I think it's very weak for anyone to come in here and insult everyone's intelligence by saying that Shanahan drafted Clarett based on a "lie" that Clarett (or his aget) told. And then to further say that the slander on Clarett wasn't based on hate for the kid... that's a tough story to swallow.

As I've already pointed out, it was SHANAHAN HIMSELF who expressly stated in his post draft interview that he took the kid after having this conversation with the agent. I can't help it if the things the agent said to Shanahan have been called into question by the same people he supposedly talked to. What I find odd is that in the midst of literally HUNDREDS of negative posts about this particular draft day decision on THIS BOARD, as well as missgivings throughout the NFL during a time still only HOURS after he was taken, this should offend anybody. The whole point of draft day discussion is to analyze the choices, offer opinions, etc...unless we're all just going to blindly accept everything as perfect because Shanahan does it. I've lost my Christmas morning pleasure over Mike and the job he's done after several years of poor decisions. Buyers remorse has set it. I have good reason for it. For one thing, while you may not see the connection between character issues and Clarett's background, I do. I am far from alone in that and hardly without justification given that this team has a long history under both the Reeves and Shanahan regimes of taking problem players. Frankly I'm tired of reading about the Clarence Kays, Byron Chamberlains, Dale Carters, Vance Johnsons, Bill Romanowskis, etc.....again and again. Perhaps I should have characterized the discussion differently or used a less aggressive term that "lies" but the end result is that with a guy who has a long history of not telling the truth you should hardly find it suprising if some on this board are quick to question things involving him when red flags are raised.

This has ZERO to do with insulting anyones intelligence. It has more to do with simply pointing out facts and things that are said and asking questions.

Finally, this conversation has morphed into something unrelated to football. I'm a little suprised that as the moderator of the board you would be resorting to name calling and personal attacks. I've been around since the DPO days and never noticed you to be somebody taking the low road with making things personal. I'm here to discuss the team and in the past I've simply removed myself from discussions that involve personal insults or childish attacks on individual personalities. I frankly don't have time for that and unlike some in here I have no desire to get into testosterone laced arguments just to save face, prove a point or avoid backing down. I choose to simply leave when the discussion gets personal, which in fact is what I believe you have often advocated yourself. Is it not?

Peace.

Taco John
04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Finally, this conversation has morphed into something unrelated to football. I'm a little suprised that as the moderator of the board you would be resorting to name calling and personal attacks. I've been around since the DPO days and never noticed you to be somebody taking the low road with making things personal. I'm here to discuss the team and in the past I've simply removed myself from discussions that involve personal insults or childish attacks on individual personalities. I frankly don't have time for that and unlike some in here I have no desire to get into testosterone laced arguments just to save face, prove a point or avoid backing down. I choose to simply leave when the discussion gets personal, which in fact is what I believe you have often advocated yourself. Is it not?

You're right. I shouldn't have resorted to name calling. I don't do it that often. I try to set a better example. That should tell you a little bit about how bad I think your take is though.

I understand what Shanahan said. Media chit chat. I believe that what you are doing is reading way too much into it.

I hardly think that you should consider yourself victimized. Your headline, which Garcia later merged into one big thread about Maurice, was sensationalistic. That was the action that drew the equal and opposite reaction. Yin responded to yang. I should have probably let someone else play the part of yang. I assure you, if it wasn't me, someone else would have. It's a bad take. Shanahan didn't draft Maurice because of anything his agent told him. Maurice was drafted because the Broncos specifically targeted him. He was their man. They got their man. Take it out on Shanahan and Turner. Let Maurice put his past behind him. He's a Bronco now.

SouthStndJunkie
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
I am giving Clarett a clean slate in my book.

I cracked on him before, but am in the kids corner now. He is still immature and not without flaws, but it would be a great story to see him turn it around. I actually put him on my draft wish list, but as a sixth rounder. He has talent and has passion for the game. I think the kid just wants to put on the pads and play. His play when he tracked down Sean Taylor and stole the ball from him in the National Championship game told me a lot about him as a player. Ignore the 4.7 speed...some guys play fast with the pads on.

His maturity concerns me...but this is a low risk/high reward pick. I did not like a lot of his actions the last few years, but we need to wipe the slate clean. I bet the first game when he breaks off 150 yards against the Chiefs or Raiders everyone that is bashing him will be screaming "Go Mo".

SSJ

SoCalBronco
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Here is a one on one interview with Andrew Mason with Maurice from the team site done today. I hope the naysayers here take a look at this and give this kid a chance. Very good interview.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609&videoID=761

Play2win
04-26-2005, 05:37 AM
Like I said earlier, if I can give BVP a clean slate, then I can easily give MO Clarett a clean slate, no questions asked. He's a Bronco Now!!! ;D

Odysseus
04-26-2005, 07:58 AM

I used to be perfect but then I had face my failings. I think I was in my 20's at the time. It's kind of like this kid's story only not as public.

I really didn't like Clarett that much until the haters started getting a teary eyed. My fondest wish is that he does well for years.

bendog
04-27-2005, 09:39 AM
crazyhorse neg repped me "you aint't the sharpest pencil."

roflmao

Master___Pain
04-27-2005, 09:52 AM
That last pick in the 3rd was basically the Broncos 4th round pick since they did not have a 4th or 5th round pick. I am not sold on Mo, but if he had stayed at tOSU and continued his play from his freshman year, is there any doubt he would have been at least a late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder? To me this is a low risk high reward type pick. There are definately injury concerns in the backfield as someone pointed out. Mo could be the steal of the draft or drift off into obscurity. Time will tell.

Chef fans, please think before hitting the "start new thread" button.

Atlas
04-27-2005, 09:53 AM
crazyhorse neg repped me "you aint't the sharpest pencil."

roflmao

Rep for you

I neg repped him again for you. We'll just call him crazyBOB

Pick Six
04-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Tatum has yet to be a proven commodity...unlike Priest, when LJ was drafted. Given that fact, we STILL waited until the 3rd round (and our 4th selection overall) to take Clarett. We didn't use our first pick on someone that may ride the bench for a while.

HolyDiver
04-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Clarrett would not have been there in the 6th round when we picked next. So it was either pick him in the 3rd or not at all. I for one don't question Bobby Turner, but obviously you do. I'm sure the same people questioning this pick are the same one's that thought we made bad choices by drafting Davis, Gary and Anderson. Why draft Gary in the 4th when he might be there in the 5th or 6th. Key word MIGHT. At first I didn't like the pick either, but now that I've had time to think about it, I do. Next season we will have a ton of picks. And we knew going into to this draft that it wouldn't be anything special. However I think Williams is 1st round talent.

bendog
04-27-2005, 10:06 AM
I really liked LJ last year. I'm not sure he isn't their best back at this pt of Priest's career, but getting Champ's little bro instead of LJ would've possibly let them take Travis Johnson this year. bottom line, the chefs win the lombardi this year or they're done as contenders for 5 years at least (forever so long as Carl lasts), and they're not going to the bowl unless Jr. Salavi and Sims show up and stop Pitt's and NE's run game in Dec. I don't think their "elite" corner helps with Payton's Pussies, either.

Carlo Rossi has no downside ... well, we cut beard to clear up a roster spot and jersey number for the guy.

Rock Chalk
04-27-2005, 10:27 AM

Quality depth

Moron, we had no 4th or 5th round choices. The pick he was taken with was the LAST pick of the 3rd round, essentially making him a high fourth rounder.

First round money on a bench warmer. Fantastic job dickwad.

We get a quality depth guy in the bottom of the 3rd round for bottom of the third round money and you give us **** because your "depth" guy is making 1st round money?

Shut the **** up moron.

Tredici
04-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I love it when Alec talks dirty.