PDA

View Full Version : Remember. You are equipped to deal with trolls.

Taco John
09-13-2004, 01:24 AM
I just wanted to remind everybody about the high level of ignore that we have here at The Orange Mane. If you have an account, you have the ability to completely shape your message board experience here though the "Ignore Poster" and "Ignore Thread" features.

Trolls are going to be trolls, but they only stick around when people interact with them. You can start solving the problem by being the first to put a troll on the ignore list, and changing the subject to something on topic. There are enough people here that someone will respond to your point, and ignore the troll too.

And by all means, you are welcome to complain about trolls to me... I like to know what's going on, and while I can't respond to every email sent to me (or I'd spend all my time responding to emails), I guage decisions that I make in all aspects of the Mane by feedback that I get from the community at large.

Plus the complaint that NarrowheadStank won't sack up and take his defeat like a man isn't a good enough reason to ban a guy.

Pick Six
09-13-2004, 01:29 AM
I try not to feed the trolls by just not responding to them. That doesn't work all the time, so I'm glad the ignore feature is in place.

Sodak
09-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Ahh-ha! Thanks for the reminder...

SDChiefsfan
09-13-2004, 12:07 PM
I wish some of our posters at CP would take your advice to, Troll John.... :wiggle:

Simply_Flawless
09-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Exactly how do you define troll? I mean, I can see some obvious people who come to the board and do nothing but throw out insults to everyone and everything, but in the same breath, there are also mainstays that have been here for awhile, that upon any comment they don't approve of, they rip you for it, apparently attempting to anger them. You have to admit Taco John, that you are sometimes guilty of the same thing at times, as are most people on this board. So why call these people trolls, when they are only doing full-time, what you do part-time?

Just a question to try to better understand the concept?

Blueflame
09-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Exactly how do you define troll? I mean, I can see some obvious people who come to the board and do nothing but throw out insults to everyone and everything, but in the same breath, there are also mainstays that have been here for awhile, that upon any comment they don't approve of, they rip you for it, apparently attempting to anger them. You have to admit Taco John, that you are sometimes guilty of the same thing at times, as are most people on this board. So why call these people trolls, when they are only doing full-time, what you do part-time?

Just a question to try to better understand the concept?

I'd define "troll" as "any poster who consistently annoys you." Putting any individual who falls into that category on ignore is probably a better option than allowing oneself to experience constant aggravation.

Simply_Flawless
09-15-2004, 11:28 AM
I'd define "troll" as "any poster who consistently annoys you." Putting any individual who falls into that category on ignore is probably a better option than allowing oneself to experience constant aggravation.

Yes, but it is more or less knowing that someone is posting about you without any respect, and you're unable to read it. That's the only problem. I don't want to be having a good conversation about football, or debating my opinion, and then to have some idea start running their mouth and bashing me. It takes a lot away from the topic and makes the person who made the first initial comment an absolute idiot. thwack

Blueflame
09-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Yes, but it is more or less knowing that someone is posting about you without any respect, and you're unable to read it. That's the only problem. I don't want to be having a good conversation about football, or debating my opinion, and then to have some idea start running their mouth and bashing me. It takes a lot away from the topic and makes the person who made the first initial comment an absolute idiot. thwack

Um... just a small word of friendly advice, SF... a rival fan calling TJ an "absolute idiot" on his board may result in neg rep. tsk tsk

You have a point regarding not being able to see ignored posters dissing you but allowing curiosity to prevent the use of the board tool also means that when you make that choice, you forfeit the right to complain about what you might encounter. ;D

In which case, a very thick skin is your best friend. Ha!

Ratboy
09-25-2004, 01:09 PM
This forum really gets me off!

Welcome to the mane.

Surtain23
09-25-2004, 01:26 PM

chanesaw
09-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Where are these ignore options?

chanesaw
09-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Whew, I figured it out. Wolffman and Surtain23 were grossing me out. I don't care how annoying Chief trolls can be, I have never considered banning them. Those 2 are the first ever banned.

Bronco_Beerslug
09-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Whew, I figured it out. Wolffman and Surtain23 were grossing me out. I don't care how annoying Chief trolls can be, I have never considered banning them. Those 2 are the first ever banned.
Shouldn't have to ban those type of people. They should have there membership closed immediately!