PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

No1BroncoFan
06-25-2004, 07:42 PM
What do you guys and gals like to read? Read anything good lately? Looking for something good to read (besides the Mane)? Post it here.

Currently, I'm reading the "Harry Potter" series (again).
Recently read:
"Footfall" (Sci-Fi) by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
"Warlock" (Sci-Fi/Fantasy) by Andre Norton.
"Expendable" (Sci-Fi) by James Allen Gardner.

In the queue:
The "Freedom" series (Sci-Fi) by Anne McCaffrey.

Ben

Rock Chalk
06-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Apocalypse Watch by Robert Ludlum. Long but very cool.

The Heritage Trilogy I forget the author (sci-fi) but AWESOME story line.

mosca
06-25-2004, 11:09 PM
recently read 'hyperion' by dan simmons and am currently finishing up 'fall of hyperion', the sequel. very thought-provoking sci-fi.
next up is 'song of susannah', book 6 of stephen king's dark tower. the last book wasn't the best, but the series is wrapping up so i gotta finish it.

no1broncofan - how do you rate larry niven's work? haven't read any of it but heard good things.

No1BroncoFan
06-25-2004, 11:39 PM
mosca,

The only Larry Niven I've read so far is "Footfall." Don't be put off by the cover, it's an awesome ride! The local used bookstore sells nearly new hardbacks for about the same as a new paperback and I've been keeping my eye open for more of Niven's work. So far, no joy. I may have to put some on hold at the library. They're hardly ever in.

I thought "Song of Susannah" was better than "Wolves of the Calla" but still not up to par with "The Drawing of the Three" or "The Wastelands." Still a very good read. Part seven is due out later this year and I'm dying for it!

Ben

broncolife
06-26-2004, 01:05 AM
I think I have read only one book in my life that I have enjoyed and that was the sphere(yeah, I know the movie sucked). Now that I think about it, thats the only book I have read that wasnt involving school. After seeing the movies Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, I am starting to think that I am missing out on some great stories out there.I think I might go stop by that thing they call the library tomorrow.

alkemical
06-26-2004, 11:36 AM
hyperion is a cool series...

I just read "rule by secrecy" & holy blood, holy grail -

mosca
06-26-2004, 01:37 PM
I just read "rule by secrecy" & holy blood, holy grail -

holy blood, holy grail... my dad read that and messianic legacy a while back. funny now there's all this hoopla over the da vinci code, a work of fiction, when these non-fiction books (if not others) on a similar topic have been out for years.

No1BroncoFan
06-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Mosca,

I was wrong about Larry Niven. "Infinity's Road" was also by him and very good. I was gonna get the copy they had, but there was too much other stuff that looked good and I ran out of cash. :(

Ben

twotimes3233
06-26-2004, 08:07 PM
I am reading "Father Joe" by Tony Hendra.
I'm not going to write a review for you slugs because frankly I'm surprised that 90% of the people on this board have ever SEEN a book much less read one.

If your interested you will read the reviews out on Amazon.

It's a very funny, extremely well written book.

Two words.

Pulitzer Prize.

alkemical
06-27-2004, 09:58 AM
holy blood, holy grail... my dad read that and messianic legacy a while back. funny now there's all this hoopla over the da vinci code, a work of fiction, when these non-fiction books (if not others) on a similar topic have been out for years.

And according to hb, hg - it's (the interest in such) basically has gone on since roughly 1300's (from kings etc thinking of such conspiracies) -

I love fiction - but you know - that sometimes we have stranger stories that really existed than anything fiction....

I've also read origins of evil - about fallen angels - lots of CS lewis (the different christian ideology to me is fascinating - actually reminds me alot of how the hindu's/krsna's have things setup) -

dustybottoms
06-29-2004, 01:54 PM
just finished-

Catch-22, joseph keller? A+(this thing had me rolling)
The Godfather- mario puzo A-(I want to be a gangster)
The da Vinci Code- whoever B-(it would have been better if I read it in H.S.)

next up...
I want to read the bible, I've never actually sat down and read the thing.

alkemical
06-29-2004, 02:07 PM
its a good story

No1BroncoFan
07-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Wow, not many readers, at least not in the underground.

Anyway, just finished "Wheelers" by Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen yesterday. Pretty good read if you like Sci-Fi.

Ben

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-15-2004, 03:09 AM
1) "The Moon and Sixpence" by W. Somerset Maugham

2) "Plainclothes Naked" by Jerry Stahl (Hilarious black comedy/noir)

3) "A Year in Van Nuys" by Sandra Tsing Loh (Very funny parody of "A Year in Provence")

4) "Slow Dance on the Fault Line" by Donald Rawley

5) "Demian" by Hermann Hesse (for about the 50th time)

and, of course:

6) "My Life" by Bill Clinton (in progress)

mosca
07-15-2004, 05:28 PM
hesse is great. steppenwolf is one of my all-time favorites. have to remind myself to check out some of his other stuff soon.

elwayrulzs
07-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Just finished Monster of the Midway by Jim Dent. If you love football I really recommend this book. The book is mainly about Bronko Nagurski. Very interesting.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-15-2004, 07:41 PM
hesse is great. steppenwolf is one of my all-time favorites. have to remind myself to check out some of his other stuff soon.

Hesse is my favorite author.

I also have the film versions of "Steppenwolf" and "Siddhartha."

Awesome.

watermock
07-16-2004, 01:08 AM
Upper Left Coast

football idiot
07-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Read the count of Monte Cristo recently.

There is a reason it's a serious classic, one of the most popular novels ever written, still relevant 150 years later, still gripping, exciting, and intriguing.

highly reccomended, especially if you liked the movie. unfortunately I had the abridged version (it sounded like the original version was an extra 500 pages).

No1BroncoFan
07-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Just finished "Waiting for the Galactic Bus" by Parke Godwin. What a ride! The super religious won't like it, but it's a wonderful parody of evolution, religion and humanity. Highly recommended!

Ben

No1BroncoFan
07-18-2004, 02:01 PM
"The Snake Oil Wars," sequel to "Waiting for the Galactic Bus" is almost as good. Parke Godwin is a great storyteller!

Now maybe I can get on to the "Freedom" series I've been putting off.

Ben

dustybottoms
07-19-2004, 02:48 AM
1)

6) "My Life" by Bill Clinton (in progress)

hey how was that Clinton book? I'm not big on auto biographies, or biographis in general but that one got me thinking about checking it out for whatever reason.

patteeu
07-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is the best book I've read in the last year or so. It has multiple storylines interwoven throughout the book including a World War II code-maker/code-breaker/action storyline and a present day high-tech-enterpreneurial/treasure-hunting storyline. Very good.

Old Dude
07-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Just finished reading "Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and the American Comic Book Revolution" by Ronin Ro.

Pretty interesting book if you're into the history of the comics industry. Or if you're just a fan of Lee or Kirby or Ditko in general.

Martin Goodman (the publisher) comes off as a bit of a villain, which is probably inevitable for anyone on the business end of a creative effort, but otherwise, I thought the book did a good job of staying objective and of identifying who contributed what to what, the battles over creative rights, market forces and so forth.

For those more interested in the creations than the creators, it also had many interesting tidbits about how certain characters were originally inspired, conceived or designed and conflicts concerning the directions in which they were taken.

For example, back in the 60's, at Marvel, the artists did most of the story plotting, and the writers mostly handled captions and dialogue, after the fact. (This was the reverse of te way DC and most other companies operated at the time.) One of the reasons Steve Ditko quit illustrating Spider-Man was discontent over the way Lee was developing the character and changing the plots. (Turns out Lee knew what he was doing, obviously)

Lots of insights into the personalities of the key players as well - especially Jack Kirby.

mosca
07-22-2004, 12:44 PM
on the topic of comics, has anyone read batman: the dark knight strikes again? i saw it at the library and grabbed it, thinking that i had another dark knight returns on my hands.
it was possibly one of the biggest letdowns i've experienced in recent years... dark night returns was one of the coolest, most groundbreaking comics ever and this one just plain stunk.

Rascal
07-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Read the count of Monte Cristo recently.

There is a reason it's a serious classic, one of the most popular novels ever written, still relevant 150 years later, still gripping, exciting, and intriguing.

highly reccomended, especially if you liked the movie. unfortunately I had the abridged version (it sounded like the original version was an extra 500 pages).

I was about half way through, original version, when I bought a house. So its been put on the back burner.

Its a really good book. Hopefully I get some free time so I can finish reading it.

Any ideas on what I should read next?

Old Dude
07-23-2004, 12:27 PM
on the topic of comics, has anyone read batman: the dark knight strikes again? i saw it at the library and grabbed it, thinking that i had another dark knight returns on my hands.
it was possibly one of the biggest letdowns i've experienced in recent years... dark night returns was one of the coolest, most groundbreaking comics ever and this one just plain stunk.

I think DK2 was supposed to be a satire.

I didn't like it either.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-25-2004, 05:51 AM
hey how was that Clinton book? I'm not big on auto biographies, or biographis in general but that one got me thinking about checking it out for whatever reason.

So far so good. It's 957 pages and I'm only on page 64, so I'll hold off on the review for now...

-Slap-
07-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Just finished reading "Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and the American Comic Book Revolution" by Ronin Ro.

Pretty interesting book if you're into the history of the comics industry. Or if you're just a fan of Lee or Kirby or Ditko in general.

Martin Goodman (the publisher) comes off as a bit of a villain, which is probably inevitable for anyone on the business end of a creative effort, but otherwise, I thought the book did a good job of staying objective and of identifying who contributed what to what, the battles over creative rights, market forces and so forth.

For those more interested in the creations than the creators, it also had many interesting tidbits about how certain characters were originally inspired, conceived or designed and conflicts concerning the directions in which they were taken.

For example, back in the 60's, at Marvel, the artists did most of the story plotting, and the writers mostly handled captions and dialogue, after the fact. (This was the reverse of te way DC and most other companies operated at the time.) One of the reasons Steve Ditko quit illustrating Spider-Man was discontent over the way Lee was developing the character and changing the plots. (Turns out Lee knew what he was doing, obviously)

Lots of insights into the personalities of the key players as well - especially Jack Kirby.

That sounds like an interesting book, Old Dude.

Have you ever checked out The Quarter Bin (http://www.fortunecity.com/tatooine/niven/142/index.html)? It hasn't been updated in ages, but there are some thought provoking articles on there anyway.

Its kind of sad, but a lot of people buy into the idea that Stan Lee was ripping off his artists, primarily because his relationship with Jack Kirby ended on bad terms. Its sad that these people are badmouthing Lee now, but they'll probably be canonizing him after he dies.

Old Dude
07-26-2004, 12:58 PM
That sounds like an interesting book, Old Dude.

Have you ever checked out The Quarter Bin (http://www.fortunecity.com/tatooine/niven/142/index.html)? It hasn't been updated in ages, but there are some thought provoking articles on there anyway.

Its kind of sad, but a lot of people buy into the idea that Stan Lee was ripping off his artists, primarily because his relationship with Jack Kirby ended on bad terms. Its sad that these people are badmouthing Lee now, but they'll probably be canonizing him after he dies.

Yeah, I've been by that site a few times. Great stuff. I especially like the "worst costumes" section.

I'm not sure how much of "Tales to Astonish" is really original because, frankly, I've never been that much into the creator background stuff.

I'd say that it doesn't really go out of its way to make either Kirby or Lee look good or bad.

What comes across is that Kirby was a great artist, an incredible workhorse, and a great storyteller in terms of his layouts. However, he couldn't write dialogue worth s***.

Lee wasn't so hot at inventing original material, but once you gave him some daylight (as Kirby did), he could run with the ball pretty well. He never seems to get any credit for being a fine art editor or talent scout, and he did a great job at both.

A lot of it just boils down to money. Kirby wanted more bucks and/or credit for generating the stories, and Goodman just wasn't willing to do that.

want2bAbronco
07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Dragon Lance the 20 some odd books series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. im on Dragons of a Fallen Sun right now, i love this series!

also read a lot of the Star Wars books. Heir to the empire atm. Shadows of the Empire by Steven Perry and The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers, both were really good.

when i get time im going to read the Harry Potter series and LOTR *yes i know im the only person in the world that hasn't read both of those series!*

anyone read The Da Vinci Code?

mosca
07-26-2004, 09:10 PM
as for dragonlance, the chronicles and legends were epic... chronicles being one of my all-time fave reads ever. the characters in those books were like family to me at one time. tales was good too, some great short stories there.
heir to the empire was good... for some reason i never got around to reading the books after that.

want2bAbronco
07-27-2004, 06:26 AM
as for dragonlance, the chronicles and legends were epic... chronicles being one of my all-time fave reads ever. the characters in those books were like family to me at one time. tales was good too, some great short stories there.
heir to the empire was good... for some reason i never got around to reading the books after that.

i know what you mean! i have went out and bought a lot of the pre books about the characters. Tanis and why he is a half bread etc... i love all the books. i just dont have time to work, spend time with wife/daughter, friends, xbox, and read!

Old Dude
07-27-2004, 11:55 AM
i know what you mean! i have went out and bought a lot of the pre books about the characters. Tanis and why he is a half bread etc... i love all the books. i just dont have time to work, spend time with wife/daughter, friends, xbox, and read!

Oh jeez, what a bunch of nerds you guys are.

Of course, who am I to talk? I role-played the whole Dragonlance series in D&D.

:)

want2bAbronco
07-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Oh jeez, what a bunch of nerds you guys are.

Of course, who am I to talk? I role-played the whole Dragonlance series in D&D.

:)

lol thats ok, i use to play Role Master, Shadow Run, Call of Cathulu, and started Vampire/Warewolf!

Old Dude
07-27-2004, 12:15 PM
lol thats ok, i use to play Role Master, Shadow Run, Call of Cathulu, and started Vampire/Warewolf!

These days, I just do Hackmaster and Mutants & Masterminds .

want2bAbronco
07-28-2004, 06:26 AM
havent heard of either...and i havent played RPGs in many years.

alkemical
08-11-2004, 06:28 PM
the long dark teatime for the soul.

No1BroncoFan
09-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Just finished C. J. Cherryh's "Hammerfal" and "Forge of Heaven." Very good SciFi!

Ben

Kid A
09-22-2004, 04:38 PM
just finished-

Catch-22, joseph keller? A+(this thing had me rolling)

i just read this too. Great book. The humor is certainly not dated, and I found my self laughing out loud at points. It is also very moving in parts. It gets labled as an "anti-war book", but it is much more than that. It has also got a lot of memorable quotes.

I'm trying to read some of the classics that I've heard of. read Brave new World recently, too. Good book that makes a good comparison to 1984.

Kid A
09-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I've never been that in to sci-fi books. I haven't read many, except the notable exception of Ender's Game. I really liked it, and I've heard rumors of a movie being in the works.

Tredici
09-22-2004, 05:25 PM
These threads pop up every now and then. I've read some good books at the recommendation of forum readers.

Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett - Thanks Slap.
Apocalypse Watch - Robert Ludlum - Thanks Alec.
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier - Thanks Kekomutt (at the Freak)

I'm not a big Sci-Fi reader. The only memorable read in that genre was L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. They tried to make a series but I didn't like the continuations.

As far as must reads:

Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
The World According to Garp - John Irving
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
out of all the Stephen Kings I still like The Shining. (His last two books have been embarassingly bad.)

For something a bit offbeat and highly entertaining try Harlen Coben. Any of his titles that sound sports related. His main character is a Sports Agent - of sorts.

For those of you who enjoy satirical humor and cutting through the political correctness nonsense, try David Sedaris. Naked was great and I have his Me Talk Pretty Some Day waiting in the wings.

cbs1177
09-22-2004, 07:13 PM
wizards first rule series is fanastic and I am not a fantasy fan
the di vince code and I didn't agree with what the book offered as religion
and the millionaries by bill meritz it was read in 24 hours no lie can't put down

No1BroncoFan
09-22-2004, 09:00 PM
"Battlefield Earth?" Maybe I'll have to give L. Ron Hubbard another try. I read that freaking "Invader's Plan" crap (all ten volumes) all the way through. I can't even remember why I finished it now. Talk about bad!

Currently I've got quite a stack ahead of me:
Reading "Rider at the Gate" - C. J. Cherryh
Next up, "Cloud's Rider" - C. J. Cherryh
Then, "Finity's End" - C. J. Cherryh

After those (in no particular order):
"The Postman" - David Brin (signed first edition! Boo-yah)
"The White Abacus" - Damien Broderick
"Diplomatic Immunity" - Lois McMaster Bujold
"Achilles' Choice" - Larry Niven and Steven Barnes
"Destiny's Road" - Larry Niven

I'm a serious Sci-Fi/Fantasy junkie, but I'll read most anything outside of romances.

Ben

baja
09-22-2004, 09:03 PM
the disappearance of the universe - gary r. renard

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
09-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Still working my way through the Clinton autobiography...on about page 570 or so.

Damn, this is a long book. I knew Clinton was smart, but the dude seems to have something approaching total recall of every last detail of his life (and those of his friends and acquaintances.)

Nick C.
09-23-2004, 04:47 AM
Still working my way through the Clinton autobiography...on about page 570 or so.

Damn, this is a long book. I knew Clinton was smart, but the dude seems to have something approaching total recall of every last detail of his life (and those of his friends and acquaintances.)
odd for a Stoner to rember so well. lol

patteeu
09-23-2004, 05:34 AM

It's called dramatic license. Half of the stuff in that book is pure fiction.

sisterhellfyre
09-24-2004, 12:01 AM
It's been a while since I last read Catch-22, but I loved it too. :-)

Recent reads to recommend:

"One Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen. Placed in Florida, a cast of totally screwball characters take on sleazy land developers. The plot bounces around like a pinball, and it'll have you laughing out loud. At least, I did.

"Tex and Molly in the Afterlife" by Richard Grant. Can two aging hippies keep fighting the good fight for ecological causes when they're dead? Tex & Molly's "20 Rules for the Undead" just might replace the Ten Commandments.

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Gaiman has an incredible vision, creating characters as deftly as Dean Koontz and spinning world-spanning plots as well as Clive Barker (tho this book is not a horror story). The new gods vs the old gods for supremacy in America.... and where else will you find a zombie working the graveyard shift at a gas station?

"Smoke & Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman. A collection of enchanting, bewitching, sometimes horrifying short stories. This guy is just flat GOOD.

"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. Yes, I am recommending a third book from the same guy: he really is that good. I understand this was turned into a mini-series by some TV channel. I didn't see it, so can't say... but the book is wonderfully visual and intricate. You might see the plot's final twist coming, but that's the only drawback and it's a great ride along the way.

Regards,
m.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
09-24-2004, 02:57 AM
It's called dramatic license. Half of the stuff in that book is pure fiction.

Really?

Half?

I'd like to hear the specifics and how you know this.

patteeu
09-24-2004, 05:41 AM
Really?

Half?

I'd like to hear the specifics and how you know this.

Half is a conservative estimate. But let's not turn this thread into a political argument.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
09-25-2004, 05:35 AM
Half is a conservative estimate.

Really?

So you've read the entire book and checked all its facts?

Can't wait to hear the details.

But let's not turn this thread into a political argument.

I was merely discussing a book I was reading.

Then you came along and made it political.

Practice what you preach.

patteeu
09-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Practice what you preach.

OK.

Rascal
01-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Finished reading "count of monte cristo" and "the three muskateers" by Dumas. Very good books. Also just finished Sun Tzu's Art of War yesterday. I'm not sure which book I should read next. I like the genre of the first two books mentioned above so if you know of something along those lines let me know.

Although realistically it looks like my reading in the future will be dominated by Products Liability: Cases and Materials. yuck.

bendog
01-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I liked the count. Read it twice last year. Interesting book on the subject of reconcilliation and forgiveness.

I liked Les Miserables even better, though the characters in Count were more complex, ie morally realistic.

I finished the latest in WEB Griffin's "the corps" series. It's funny, they're total trash, but I really like them. Solid historical research though. Like L'Amour's in a way.

Trying to get into Ed McBain's Alice in Jeopardy now.

Sean
01-13-2005, 11:00 AM
What do you guys and gals like to read? Read anything good lately? Looking for something good to read (besides the Mane)? Post it here.

Currently, I'm reading the "Harry Potter" series (again).
Recently read:
"Footfall" (Sci-Fi) by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
"Warlock" (Sci-Fi/Fantasy) by Andre Norton.
"Expendable" (Sci-Fi) by James Allen Gardner.

In the queue:
The "Freedom" series (Sci-Fi) by Anne McCaffrey.

Ben

Man ... I'd forgotten all about Larry Niven. It's been years, I read Dream Park about the time D&D came out and role playing games were all the rage. I never did enjoy D&D, but I would have if it would have been like the role playing adventure in Dream Park. Great read.

broncohaven
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
funny now there's all this hoopla over the da vinci code, a work of fiction, when these non-fiction books (if not others) on a similar topic have been out for years.i don't find it all that strange that the masses don't flock to non-fictional acounts of anything. unfortunately it's a sad comment on the state of humanity, but a truthful comment none the less.

No1BroncoFan
01-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Ok, it's been a while since I posted here. First the results

"Rider at the Gate" and "Cloud's Rider" - C. J. Cherryh
Not up to par with her other works, but still a good read. Three and a half stars

"Finity's End" - C. J. Cherryh - Didn't get to this one before it was due back to the library, but I got it for Christmas so back to the queue...

"The Postman" - David Brin (signed first edition! Boo-yah) - If you've seen the movie, you didn't find out any secrets of the book. The movie shares next to nothing with the book, except the name. Great read, far better than the film. Four stars.

"The White Abacus" - Damien Broderick - Good read. The pace gets a little slow at times, but there's good action and an involving plot. 3 and a half stars.

"Diplomatic Immunity" - Lois McMaster Bujold - I hope this wasn't her best book. Not bad, but more of an action story wrapped in a sci-fi wrapper. I'll give it two and a half stars 'cause it's good enough to get me to look at more of her stuff, but not to hold out huge hopes.

"Achilles' Choice" - Larry Niven and Steven Barnes - Wow. What a letdown from Niven. Still, it's Larry Niven after all. His worst stuff is still better than a lot of peoples best stuff. Three stars. Maybe it's Steven Barnes that pulled that one down.

"Destiny's Road" - Larry Niven - One of his best works. The second reading (a couple of years later) was even better than the first reading. Four and a half stars.

Currently I'm reading Dean Koontz, "The Taking." Just got started last night...

The Queue, in no particular order:
"The Elvenbane," "Elvenblood" and "Elvenborn" - Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey.
"Finity's End" - C. J. Cherryh.
"Commitment Hour," "Vigilant," "Hunted," "Trapped" and "Ascending" - James Alan Gardner.

Ben

Billy Clyde Puckett
01-13-2005, 12:53 PM
I read a lot of books about history - mostly 20th century history. I would highly recommend "Charlie Wilson's War' by George Crile. Expalins some of the involvement of Congress and the CIA in the Afganistan/Soviet War. Reads almost like fiction.

alkemical
01-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I read the golden dawn by israel regardie

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I have read Dead Zone, Fire Starter and Christine recently

man, Steven King is kinda like Metallica, his early works kicks ass, but his later work isn't so good.

alkemical
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
I like the dead zone tv show, i've caught it a few times.

Tredici
01-13-2005, 01:08 PM

man, Steven King is kinda like Metallica, his early works kicks ass, but his later work isn't so good.

That is so true. The Shining will always be one of my favorites. Even though both movie versions pretty much sucked.

Mtbrncofn
01-13-2005, 01:10 PM

I agree with this assessment, Shack. This also seems to be the case for Dean Koontz, who used to be one of my favorites. But starting about the mid 90's, his books just seemed to go downhill, IMO.

If you like thrillers, whodunit kind of books, Patricia Cornwell is great. She has turned into one of my favorites. Same goes for James Patterson. I wait with bated breath for anything that comes out of these two these days.

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 01:12 PM
That is so true. The Shining will always be one of my favorites. Even though both movie versions pretty much sucked.

Stanley Kubriuk might be a "genious" but he butchered the Shining.......it was basically his own version

the TV movie was more like the book but you are right, it didn't have any teeth

The Shining is one of my favs, but I love the Stand and Christine....so those 3 are my favs, with the Stand being numero uno.

Not for nuthin' but a lot of his new books have a bunch of "feelings" in it, like Rose Madder and Delories Claibourne, that's not why I buy a Steven King book.

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree with this assessment, Shack. This also seems to be the case for Dean Koontz, who used to be one of my favorites. But starting about the mid 90's, his books just seemed to go downhill, IMO.

If you like thrillers, whodunit kind of books, Patricia Cornwell is great. She has turned into one of my favorites. Same goes for James Patterson. I wait with bated breath for anything that comes out of these two these days.

I'll have to check her out, I've been going to lunch at the new library they built downtown here and reading during my lunch, that's why I've read so much lately.

I got a Ludlum book yesterday (Bourne Identity fame)....I have heard he is good

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I like the dead zone tv show, i've caught it a few times.

LOL, yeah it's not too awful bad really

nothing like the book really but yeah not too bad........

bendog
01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Joe Lonsdale. He's got these two rednecks, one gay, who engage in all kinds of mayhem. funny

Tredici
01-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Stanley Kubriuk might be a "genious" but he butchered the Shining.......it was basically his own version

the TV movie was more like the book but you are right, it didn't have any teeth

The Shining is one of my favs, but I love the Stand and Christine....so those 3 are my favs, with the Stand being numero uno.

Not for nuthin' but a lot of his new books have a bunch of "feelings" in it, like Rose Madder and Delories Claibourne, that's not why I buy a Steven King book.

Basically King wrote the books mentioned because of the criticism of his failure to develop or have believable female characters. Neither book did much to improve that. I always thought he wrote Claiborne as an old man but used a female name.

Koontz did okay recently with From the Corner of His Eye and Odd Thomas. But he threw in a few clunkers recently, too. Watchers will always be on my favorite list.

A few authors I can't wait for anything new from are

Michael Connelly
Harlen Coben
Elizabeth George

Rascal
01-13-2005, 01:22 PM
what about classics?

bendog
01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I really like Dickens, but I had to give up bourbon. I'd time my drinking to have a bourbon on shaved ice, but it had to last 60 pages or an hour, whatever came first.

Mtbrncofn
01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Basically King wrote the books mentioned because of the criticism of his failure to develop or have believable female characters. Neither book did much to improve that. I always thought he wrote Claiborne as an old man but used a female name.

Koontz did okay recently with From the Corner of His Eye and Odd Thomas. But he threw in a few clunkers recently, too. Watchers will always be on my favorite list.

Michael Connelly
Harlen Coben
Elizabeth George

You liked Odd Thomas, Tre? I wasn't so keen on that one.

Watchers is great. That was one of the first Koontz books I read. I don't know why but Dragon Tears is my favorite Koontz book. It's not a normal Koontz favorite for most.

Rascal
01-13-2005, 01:29 PM
I really like Dickens, but I had to give up bourbon. I'd time my drinking to have a bourbon on shaved ice, but it had to last 60 pages or an hour, whatever came first.

???

Mtbrncofn
01-13-2005, 01:31 PM
If you want a laugh and off the wall whodunit books, Janet Evanovich is hysterical. When I read her books, I will bust out laughing periodically which garners strange looks from my husband. When I start one of her books, I have to finish the whole thing in one sitting. She is easily one of my top 3 favorites right now.

I just looked up Michael Connelly and his books look like they are right up my alley. Thanks for the list, Tre.

Tredici
01-13-2005, 01:32 PM
what about classics?

I don't know how classical you want to get. I love Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath is a terrific read.

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 01:33 PM
???

c'mon you've been here long enough to know when he is joking around

Rascal
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't know how classical you want to get. I love Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath is a terrific read.

ah, that's a book I haven't read. I was never much of a book reader so I haven't read hardly anything. You mention it, besides the three I mentioned recently, and I probably haven't read it.

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 01:36 PM

I guess I never got into the "classics" due to forced reading in school

alkemical
01-13-2005, 01:37 PM
You know, i had flunked a paper on the fountain head - because i said elsworth tooey 'won'.

She said i was wrong. But i felt really, he 'won' in the whole battle.

Rascal
01-13-2005, 01:37 PM
c'mon you've been here long enough to know when he is joking around

I know he's usually joking, but I didn't get his joke.

He gave up Bourbon for Dickens? I don't know, it's been a long day and I have a splitting headache.

Tredici
01-13-2005, 01:38 PM
You liked Odd Thomas, Tre? I wasn't so keen on that one.

Watchers is great. That was one of the first Koontz books I read. I don't know why but Dragon Tears is my favorite Koontz book. It's not a normal Koontz favorite for most.

I thought Odd was an entertaining enough read but I wouldn't put it in any best category.

Give Connelly a shot, he has a great character in Harry Bosch. I really like his stuff. I read most Robert Crais and James Lee Burke, too, which are similar type stuff.

Actually I read about anything. For anyone who likes the twisty turny, agents, double agent type stuff give Persuader by Lee Child a try.

Oh yeah, All The Lovely Bones by Alice Siebold (I think that's the name) was a good book.

Rascal
01-13-2005, 01:38 PM
So what books do you guys/gals put in your best category...top 5?

Rohirrim
01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
I just read two great books by the same guy: Steven Pressfield. One is called "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). It's historical fiction. This writer really makes the ancient world come alive. The battle scenes are amazing.

I also read one called "Will in the World" about Shakespeare. Good read if you want to find out about who he was and the times he lived in (which were a hell of a lot nastier and meaner than I knew).

Rascal
01-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I just read two great books by the same guy: Steven Pressfield. One is called "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). It's historical fiction. This writer really makes the ancient world come alive. The battle scenes are amazing.

interesting...I'm big on historical things. I was going to be a history major, but knew I would be poor the rest of my life. To give you a clue I read History of the English Speaking People's and his WWII book.

Rohirrim
01-13-2005, 01:44 PM
interesting...I'm big on historical things. I was going to be a history major, but knew I would be poor the rest of my life.

Try being an English Major. ugh!~

Mtbrncofn
01-13-2005, 01:44 PM
I thought Odd was an entertaining enough read but I wouldn't put it in any best category.

Give Connelly a shot, he has a great character in Harry Bosch. I really like his stuff. I read most Robert Crais and James Lee Burke, too, which are similar type stuff.

Actually I read about anything. For anyone who likes the twisty turny, agents, double agent type stuff give Persuader by Lee Child a try.

Oh yeah, All The Lovely Bones by Alice Siebold (I think that's the name) was a good book.

Cool. Thanks, Tre. I am always on the lookout for new authors. I have this habit of finding one I like, then reading everything I can get my hands on by them, then being bummed because I've read it all.

The thriller, twisty turny, mystery types are my favorites.

Have you ever read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, Tre? They are some of the best books I have ever read. Very long, but well worth it, IMO. I wouldn't really know how to categorize them. Lots of Scottish history, romance, time travel, etc. Really a little bit of everything.

Tredici
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM

I hate doing this because I will think of the really good stuff after I post... But off the top of my head

The Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
The World According to Garp by John Irving
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Yearling by Majorie Kinnan Rawlins (First book I ever read more than once so it has to get a mention).

I also have great respect for:

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
A Great Deliverance - Elizabeth George
Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Centennial - James Michner

and more will come to mind in about a minute....

Rascal
01-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Try being an English Major. ugh!~

That's what my wife is...she's will finish her masters this semester.

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 01:51 PM
The Yearling by Majorie Kinnan Rawlins (First book I ever read more than once so it has to get a mention).

isn't that about a horse?

I think my wife read that when she was a kid and she loved it..........she loves horses

Billy Clyde Puckett
01-13-2005, 01:57 PM
If you like humor, try Carl Hiaasen's stuff. Good airplane time killers. I think Silly Puppy is my favorite - Crooked politicians, crazed environmentalists, neglected wives, expensive hunting dogs and the hero is an ex governor who has gone "natural".

Billy Clyde Puckett
01-13-2005, 02:00 PM
The funniest book I have ever read is "Semi Tough" - much better book than a movie, but not PC these days.

bendog
01-13-2005, 02:09 PM
sorry. I just can't read dickens unless I'm drinking or have the flu. For real. And "long term" driking at that. Sitting and sipping for several hours. The only time I have for that nowdays is if I sit to watch a broncos game for a couple of hours. Back when I was single, I'd crack the seal on some Early Times around 5:30 or so and sip halfway through a fifth until 10:30 or so.

Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders, John Mortimer A NEW Rumpole book

Mile High Shack
01-13-2005, 02:10 PM
who is the dude that ...dangit....what is it's name

something about the universe and it has a smiley face on the cover with it's tongue out.......douglas...? something....help...anyone?

alkemical
01-13-2005, 02:46 PM
douglas adams i think

he did dark tea time for the soul

Tredici
01-13-2005, 02:55 PM
isn't that about a horse?

I think my wife read that when she was a kid and she loved it..........she loves horses

The Yearling is a about a fawn. Who eventually grows into a destructive deer.

As for horses, Dick Frances books are just mind candy.

alkemical
01-13-2005, 02:59 PM
I tried writting a book, but instead turned into my cd project.

bendog
01-13-2005, 03:27 PM
I think I'll read my daughter ole yeller next, then where the red fern grows... not.

there's a series about the owls of gahoole (sp) that we're reading now. And she's doing her report on the tale of desperaux, which is a wonderful book

No1BroncoFan
01-13-2005, 03:28 PM
1. "The Lord of the Rings" (which is not a "trillogy" despite getting labled as such) - J.R.R. Tolkien
2. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" - J.K. Rowling
3. "The Stand" - Steven King
4. "Destiny's Road" - Larry Niven
5. "The Color Orange - A Superbowl Season with the Denver Broncos" - Russell Martin ;D

Ben

No1BroncoFan
01-13-2005, 03:34 PM
who is the dude that ...dangit....what is it's name

something about the universe and it has a smiley face on the cover with it's tongue out.......douglas...? something....help...anyone?
Ames got it. Douglas Adams. He wrote "The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" and two or three sequels.

Ben

Rascal
01-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Aren't they making that into a movie?

No1BroncoFan
01-13-2005, 10:11 PM

Michael Connelly
Harlen Coben
Elizabeth George
I dunno. King definately took a nosedive in recent years, but there are still some good stories there. "The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon" wasn't bad. "Everthing's Eventual" (his latest short fiction collection) had some great stuff. And, of course, the finale to the "Dark Tower" series, "The Dark Tower." I completely enjoyed that book. I won't say it's the best of the series because it'e the most recent on of the series I've read and it was months after "Song of Susannah" (and any of the other), but while I was reading it, it went everywhere with me. Literally, everywhere. I could not put that book down!

Koontz also has some good reading in his recent catalogue. I really enjoyed the "Moonlight Bay" books, "Sieze the Night" and "Fear Nothing." I'm currently reading "The Taking" (came out after "Odd Thomas"). I'll let you all know how it is.

Ben

mosca
01-13-2005, 11:29 PM
And, of course, the finale to the "Dark Tower" series, "The Dark Tower." I completely enjoyed that book. I won't say it's the best of the series because it'e the most recent on of the series I've read and it was months after "Song of Susannah" (and any of the other), but while I was reading it, it went everywhere with me. Literally, everywhere. I could not put that book down!
just finished 'rise of endymion' by dan simmons. mindblowing conclusion to the hyperion cantos and definitely one of the best books (and series) i have ever read.

i'm starting on book 7, ' the dark tower' tonite and i can't wait. i've heard nothing but good things about this book and the last one set it up pretty well. hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

Odysseus
01-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Recent reads: I can't pick five magazines let alone five books that are best...

The five people you meet in Heaven. Mitch Albom - If you are an athiest or die hard bible Christian or anything in between I challenge you to read this. This is, from a spiritual standpoint, a children's book for adults. He also wrote Tuesdays with Morrie. I haven't read that book yet but heard it's incredible.

Tom Clancy - Without Remorse, Rainbow Six, and Debt of Honor -- I just discovered Clancy. The detail and accuracy is incredible.

Louis L'Amour - End of the drive - Picked it up couldn't put it down.

Get Shorty - Elmore Leonard - Interesting read

One L - Scott Turow (If you are considering law school a must read)

I've actually completed a book, a film script, poetry book, and wrote lyrics for this chic band in Colorado.

I think anyone who reads should sit still on a camping trip and play with writing. It's incredible how many of us have pretty cool stories that we call our daily lives.

If you like to read take a shot at writing. You might be surprised how good your story might be or become.

Mile High Shack
01-14-2005, 05:56 AM
The Yearling is a about a fawn. Who eventually grows into a destructive deer.

As for horses, Dick Frances books are just mind candy.

that's right, I knew it was some sort of animal ;)

bendog
01-14-2005, 08:42 AM
I really like the kid's book 'because of winn dixie.' It's coming out in a movie, but as a book about a lonely little girl and a mangy mutt, it's really good.

My fav kid's book would be Suess' oh the places you will go. I'm hard pressed to pick a fav juvenile book. I suppose the Potter books.

My personal fav would be 'the world according to Garp.' A Prayer for Owen Meany is, imo, Irving's best, though most would probably say Cider House Rules. Close behind Garp, I'd put A Son of the Circus. I reread that one last year, and I might like it even more than Garp. Hey, a dwarf getting tossed up in the air at a circus and landing in a woman's 'nether' regions, and a serial killer with a homosexaul Indian movie star, is hard to beet for comedy.

Dicken's our mutual friend was great

Elmore Leonard is the master. .... Get Shorty, I guess. I liked Tishimongo Blues, but that's cause its set in my neck of the woods

IMO James Lee Burke writes rings around Leonard. I like his Billy Bob Holland character more than Robeachaux. Cimmeron Rose would be my fav, though the latest IN the Moon of Red Ponies is nice. In the Mist with Confederate Dead is pretty strong too, imo.

But, if you like the genre, it's impossible not to mention Chandler's The Long Goodbye, which was preceeded by Hammett (The Glass Key is prolly his best) and the granddaddy, James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice.

For those who like Sandford and Connely and Coben - Robert Crais in is the same league.

Old Dude
01-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Just finished Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/devilinthewhitecity/home.html

This was an amazing book. Non-fiction.

It recounts, in sort of a parallel fashion, the lives & projects of two individuals in Chicago in the early 1890s. One of them was architect Daniel Burnham, who was in charge of building the Chicago World's Fair. Facinating stuff about the politics of the fair - - and everything from engineering problems to labor issues. Notable cameos by many famous sorts - - Buffalo Bill, Thomas Edison, Elias Disney (Walt's dad), George Ferris, Clarence Darrow, Susan B. Anthony, Hellen Keller, Frank Baum, etc., etc.

The other guy, who had his own project underway, was Herman Webster Mudgett, a/k/a Dr. H. H. Holmes, possibly one of the most prolific serial killers in American history, who constructed what was basically a "murder factory" - - practically next door to the fair.

5 stars.

Samiwindr
01-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Currently reading Count of Monte Christo for the first time - very good so far.

Recently read:

December 6 (think that's the name - it's a book about an American living in Tokyo in the days before Japan attacks Pearl Harbor - good read)
Fast Food Nation - Absolute Must Read and no it's not a 'gross out' novel
The Perfect Storm - S? Junger
Davinci Code - D. Brown
Angels and Devils - D. Brown
AirFrame - Crighton (horrible book)
Pillars of the Earth - K. Follett
Code to Zero - K. Follett
Non-fiction history of Italy - 1200 BC to present
non-fiction history of Civilization in Gaul

No1BroncoFan
01-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Finished "The Taking" last night. Good book, except I thought the ending was a bit of a cop out. The first hundred pages or so are pure vintage Koonts! Over all, I'd give it three and a half stars.

Sodak
01-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Chapterhouse Dune, Frank Herbert. Genious.

Sodak
01-17-2005, 09:57 PM
err... I'm not sure what that last word was.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2005, 06:27 AM
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth.

Excellent book. The premise sounds like something from Philip K. Dick...it supposes the the anti-Semitic Charles Lindbergh defeated Roosevelt in the 1940 election. But it has nothing to do with sci-fi. Anyway, it's an excellent read. I'm a big Roth fan. If you've never read him, you absolutely MUST read Portnoy's Complaint at some point. One of the three funniest book I've ever read (Heller's Catch-22 and John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces are the others).

Tredici
01-18-2005, 06:52 AM
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth.

Excellent book. The premise sounds like something from Philip K. Dick...it supposes the the anti-Semitic Charles Lindbergh defeated Roosevelt in the 1940 election. But it has nothing to do with sci-fi. Anyway, it's an excellent read. I'm a big Roth fan. If you've never read him, you absolutely MUST read Portnoy's Complaint at some point. One of the three funniest book I've ever read (Heller's Catch-22 and John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces are the others).

"Oh my valve....

my valve!"

Ha. You either love Dunces or hate it.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2005, 06:55 AM

In no particular order, here are some of my all-time favorites...

The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison
The Secret Agent, Joseph Conrad
Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
The October Country, Ray Bradbury (short story collection)
Empire Falls, Richard Russo
Light In August, William Faulkner
The Tin Drum, Gunter Grass
The Turn of the Screw, Henry James
Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut
Portnoy's Complait, Philip Roth
A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
Tobacco Road, Erskine Caldwell
Underworld, Don DeLillo

OK, you asked for five, that was sixteen...there are just too many books I love to get it down to five!

BroncoInferno
01-18-2005, 06:58 AM
"Oh my valve....

my valve!"

God, it's hysterical. My favorite part is when Ignatious Riley marches in the workers carrying one of his soiled bed sheets for a banner. Ha!

Billy Clyde Puckett
01-18-2005, 08:09 AM
"Oh my valve....

my valve!"

It was a great book.

My favorite Vonnegut is Jailbird. Dead Eye Dick was great too.

bendog
01-18-2005, 12:19 PM
you guys have way too many brain cells left.

No1BroncoFan
01-28-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm just finishing the third part of the Halfblood Chronicles ("The Elvenbane" "Elvenblood" and "Elvenborn") be Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey. Elves, humans, dragons, magicians, warriors and good plots. What more could you ask? Four and a half stars for the Halfblood Chronicles.

Ben

Master___Pain
01-28-2005, 09:57 AM
I am reading Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress", so far so good. Aside from the hype, Brown is a great story teller. I have enjoyed all of his books and Angels and Demons is one of the best I have read in the last few years.

No1BroncoFan
02-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Ok, since finishing the Halfblood Chronicles...
"Pure Drivel" - Steve Martin (yes, the actor/comedian). A collections of essays and such published by the "New Yorker." Not too bad. The man may be an idiot, but at least he's an amusing idiot. ;D

"Comitment Hour" - James Allen Gardner. Very good. In a sci-fi world of same ol' same ol Gardner is a breath of fresh air.

Ben

clintonwho
02-02-2005, 07:42 PM
sports illistrated, and SI swimsuit issue from last year. i can't get enough of that.

MajikMan7
02-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Does Playboy count because thats about all i'll be reading?

alkemical
02-02-2005, 07:45 PM
das kapital by marx

Bronx33
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM
das kapital by marx

Ed Kuglers........Dead Center

clintonwho
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Does Playboy count because thats about all i'll be reading?

speaking of playboy, my photo shoot is in about 10 mins.

MajikMan7
02-02-2005, 07:56 PM
speaking of playboy, my photo shoot is in about 10 mins.

which one are you marykate or ashley?

clintonwho
02-02-2005, 08:00 PM
which one are you marykate or ashley?

Mary kate

Bronx33
02-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Mary kate

Whats the shoot selling???? toothpicks?

Old Dude
02-10-2005, 07:57 PM
A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin.

This was on the NY Times best-seller list for a long time, but I put off reading it because I sort of burned out on romantic fantasy and swords & sorcery and all that stuff a long time ago.

But I'm about 200 pages into this one and I can't put it down. This is like romantic fantasy where things went wrong. Very wrong. It's like someone took the war of the roses (the York & Lancaster one - - not the Douglas & Turner movie) and stuck it in the middle of a Mercedes Lackey novel about talking cats and psychic princesses.

Brutal I tell you. And facinating.

And several more books to go in the epic.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
02-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Just finished "My Life" by Bill Clinton a couple weeks ago.

Daaaaamn, that was a long book!

Now reading "The Harvard Medical School's Guide to Men's Health" (fun, eh?)

Anyway, the book contains a lot of useful info on nutrition, exercise, preventing illness, etc.

mosca
02-10-2005, 10:45 PM
A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin
dude, this book and the rest of the series is totally badass. easily the best fantasy i've read in a long while and a great refreshment from jordan's wheel of time (which just drags on and on). i can't wait for the next book to come out. who's your favorite character so far?

No1BroncoFan
02-11-2005, 08:36 AM
"Dragon Tears" by Dean Koontz - Good book, but the suspension of disbelief became a bit overwhelming at points. Still worth a read though.

"Vigilant" by James Alan Gardner - Very good. I've read about half of this guy's work so far and haven't found a bad book yet.

Currently reading "An Alien Light" by Nancy Kress. Very interesting so far. After the first few pages I didn't think I'd finish it. One day later I'm half way done.

Ben

Old Dude
02-11-2005, 12:59 PM
dude, this book and the rest of the series is totally badass. easily the best fantasy i've read in a long while and a great refreshment from jordan's wheel of time (which just drags on and on). i can't wait for the next book to come out. who's your favorite character so far?

Jon the bastard son and Tyrion the dwarf.

LordHelmchen
02-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Indeed they are. I was interested in Sparta since I learned to read. And this book really made it all so alive. It's been a while since I read Gates of Fire but I can remember vividly how the shivers ran down my spine when the Spartans performed the "palming the pine" maneuver at the start of the battle vs. the Antirthionians.

Ames got it. Douglas Adams. He wrote "The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" and two or three sequels.

Ben

All in all there are five books in that series.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So long, and thanks for all the Fish
Mostly Harmless

The later ones are not as good but still a good read. I read the whole cycle about once per year, usually in the sub on the way to work. I get strange looks when I suddenly burst into laughter and can't stop it. There is actually an old TV series produced by the BBC , and it's so trashy that it's cult!
Also, some of you geeks might remember the legendary text adventure by Infocom.
Other good books by Adams (R.I.P.) include The deeper meaning of Liff (no typo) and Last Chance to see (which is a more serious book about endangered species).

Also always good for some real funny entertainment is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The PC and PS game with the voices of Monty Python is also pretty funny.

Other books I really like:

Donna Gillespie - The Light Bearer
Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon
Sun Tsu - The Art of War
James Clavell - Shogun
J.H. Patterson - The Man-Eaters of Tsavo
Gary Jennings - Aztec
Henri Sanson - The Executioners of Paris (written by the last "active member" of the Sanson executioner dynasty)
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust
Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Tolkien - The Silmarillion
Tolkien - Unfinished Tales

And in general I'm always looking for good historic fiction and non-fiction. If anyone knows good books about history, please let me know. thx!

alkemical
02-11-2005, 02:46 PM
are any of you guys cs lewis fans?

LordHelmchen
02-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I just finished The Magician's Nephew. I'm not sure yet how much I really like it. But I like it enough to go ahead with the other books/parts of the Chronicles of Narnia. I just don't really like the name of the lion Aslan, always reminds me of a very unpleasent person I know who goes by the same name ugh!~

mosca
02-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Jon the bastard son and Tyrion the dwarf.

hell yeah, jon snow is probably my favorite. tyrion's interesting too, i always liked the chapters from his point of view. the one scene at the beginning where jon and tyrion meet outside the banquet dinner is one of my favorites.

Mtbrncofn
02-11-2005, 06:57 PM
"Dragon Tears" by Dean Koontz - Good book, but the suspension of disbelief became a bit overwhelming at points. Still worth a read though.

"Vigilant" by James Alan Gardner - Very good. I've read about half of this guy's work so far and haven't found a bad book yet.

Currently reading "An Alien Light" by Nancy Kress. Very interesting so far. After the first few pages I didn't think I'd finish it. One day later I'm half way done.

Ben

Dragon Tears is my favorite Koontz book. It's an odd one, I know. I just picked up a new Koontz book that is the first part of a series, I guess. It's called Frankenstein and it looks great. Like the old Koontz books. I haven't gotten to it yet, but my mom said it was great.

Mtbrncofn
02-11-2005, 06:59 PM
I just finished The Magician's Nephew. I'm not sure yet how much I really like it. But I like it enough to go ahead with the other books/parts of the Chronicles of Narnia. I just don't really like the name of the lion Aslan, always reminds me of a very unpleasent person I know who goes by the same name ugh!~

Wow! You're just now reading the Chronicles of Narnia? I thought everyone had read those when they were a kid. They are great books. I've loved them since I was a child. Matter of fact, I am going to have to go find them and read them again. It's been awhile.

No1BroncoFan
02-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Wow! You're just now reading the Chronicles of Narnia? I thought everyone had read those when they were a kid. They are great books. I've loved them since I was a child. Matter of fact, I am going to have to go find them and read them again. It's been awhile.
I may have to also. I haven't read tham since grade school. It would be fun just to see if they are as good as I remember.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
02-11-2005, 07:22 PM
I may have to also. I haven't read tham since grade school. It would be fun just to see if they are as good as I remember.

Ben

Yeah that was exactly what I was thinking. It's been that long since I read them also.

You're right about that happening though. You ever go back and read a book you thought was just the coolest thing when you were a kid, and realize it totally sucks now? Actually I can't really say that has happened with too many books, more so with movies, I guess.

I used to love the Little House on the Prairie books when I was a kid. I don't know how many times I read them. My daughter brought one home last year from school. I was so tickled that she was reading them, I went through and read them again. They were still as good as I remembered them to be.

No1BroncoFan
02-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Thinking sbout the Narnia books got me thinking about the Prydain books by Lloyd Alexander (if you saw "The Black Cauldron" from Disney, you saw the absolute worst film adaptation in the history of movie making, but it was, very very loosly based on those books). I had them in paperback when I was a kid and absolutely read them to tatters. They've recently (1999) been re-released in hardback. I'm gonna be spending days on Ebay trying to find them at a reasonable price (always assuming my trip to the library doesn't reveal them as hopelessly juvinile, they are in the juvinile fiction section after all).

Ben

Mtbrncofn
02-11-2005, 07:49 PM
I have the movie. I didn't realize it was a book adaptation. Maybe I'll have to check that out too.

LordHelmchen
02-11-2005, 08:07 PM

I know no one who ever mentioned them to me , ever. I guess they just aren't really popular here in Germany as child books ???
The books I remember reading as a kid were Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, The Leatherstocking Tales, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Momo, Neverending Story (GREAT book),lots of books by Astrid Lindgren, stuff by the Grimm brothers at a really young age, and a bit later The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Almost everyone I know read those books as a kid.
But you got me interested, what other books are really popular and "classic" over there as kid's books?

Mtbrncofn
02-11-2005, 08:13 PM
I know no one who ever mentioned them to me , ever. I guess they just aren't really popular here in Germany as child books ???
The books I remember reading as a kid were Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, stuff by the Grimm brothers at a really young age, and a bit later The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Almost everyone I know read those books as a kid.
But you got me interested, what other books are really popular and "classic" over there as kid's books?

Well I feel stupid now. I didn't realize you were in Germany. I'd definitely say those were classics, and I was going to mention the LOTR but you got those ones too. The few others I can think of right now are ones like "Stuart Little", "Charlotte's Web", "Old Yeller". Maybe No1 can give you a few more ideas.

The Chronicles of Narnia and the LOTR with the Hobbit included of course were some of my absolute favorites.

LordHelmchen
02-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Well I feel stupid now. I didn't realize you were in Germany. I'd definitely say those were classics, and I was going to mention the LOTR but you got those ones too. The few others I can think of right now are ones like "Stuart Little", "Charlotte's Web", "Old Yeller". Maybe No1 can give you a few more ideas.

The Chronicles of Narnia and the LOTR with the Hobbit included of course were some of my absolute favorites.
No need to feel stupid, I never wrote that I'm from Germany I guess. At least not in the last year or so http://www.denverbroncos.de/smilies/beer.gif I didn't realize that Stuart Little was also a book adaption, just saw the movie. It's a bit like The Thumbling by the Grimm brothers. I will look into those books you mentioned. Maybe I missed some real gems ;)

No1BroncoFan
02-12-2005, 04:21 AM
No need to feel stupid, I never wrote that I'm from Germany I guess. At least not in the last year or so http://www.denverbroncos.de/smilies/beer.gif I didn't realize that Stuart Little was also a book adaption, just saw the movie. It's a bit like The Thumbling by the Grimm brothers. I will look into those books you mentioned. Maybe I missed some real gems ;)
If you read Stuart Little" (a fantastic story) don't expect it to be anything like the movie. They don't share a lot in common except names.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
02-12-2005, 04:00 PM
If you read Stuart Little" (a fantastic story) don't expect it to be anything like the movie. They don't share a lot in common except names.

Ben

Agreed! The book ( as is usually the case ) is far better than the movie. It really doesn't resemble it at all.

LordHelmchen
02-12-2005, 05:22 PM

Ben
I just ordered my copy :) Looking forward to read it.

Agreed! The book ( as is usually the case ) is far better than the movie. It really doesn't resemble it at all.

Yes, so true. Thinking about that.. is there any case where the movie is better than the book? For me the closest thing to that would be American Psycho, I just love how Christian Bale plays Pat Bateman. But I guess most fans of the book will strongly disagree with me liking the movie better than the novel.

Rascal
02-12-2005, 05:31 PM
If you are looking for a historical fiction book I would recommend The Shogun. I haven't read the rest of the series, but that was good book. I see Lord Helmchen also recommended it.

As soon as I finish this law school class (product liability...very interesting) I plan on reading the books Rohirrim mentioned: "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). And then Chronicles of Narnia...never read them.

LordHelmchen
02-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Also very good historical fiction: The Lightbearer by Donna Gillespie. I loved it! It plays in Rome and "Germany" , around the time of Nero.

Salambo by Gustave Flaubert which is about Hamilkar Barkas, the father of Hannibal, and the battles he had to fight at home, after the first punic war.

I remember reading another book about the battle of Thermopylae , it was a really great novel. I was like 12 years old or so, but I can't remember the title or the writer. It's a shame, I would love to read it again.

Also a great read is The Histories by Herodot (still our only source about the battle of Thermopylae) , the father of history.

Ken Follet's On Wings of Eagles, which is non-fiction, is also very gripping. It's about the rescue of EDS employees during the revolution in Iran.

Mtbrncofn
02-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, so true. Thinking about that.. is there any case where the movie is better than the book?

Honestly? Not that I've ever found. They always leave something out that I think is important to the whole thing, or worse yet, they add their own creative touch to it. And as a person who has read the book and then seen the movie, you are sitting there thinking, "where the hell did that come from?"

I hate that!!

No1BroncoFan
02-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Yes, so true. Thinking about that.. is there any case where the movie is better than the book? For me the closest thing to that would be American Psycho, I just love how Christian Bale plays Pat Bateman. But I guess most fans of the book will strongly disagree with me liking the movie better than the novel.
"The Shawshank Redemption!" Based on "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption," a novella by Stephen King. The original is very dry reading (almost textbook reading) and is the only thing Steven King has written that I haven't read more than once. The movie stayed true to the original story and was great.

Ben

No1BroncoFan
02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok. I got the Narnia books on Saturday. Her it is Monday and I'll be finishing "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (second book) tonight. These books are every bit as good as I remember. If you've never read them, do. Even if you think you won't like them 'cause they're "kids books," check them out anyway. They are great stories! They definately rate five stars!

Ben

Mtbrncofn
02-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Now I definitely have to go out and get them again.

I've started Frankenstein by Koontz and it looks like it's going to be a great one. Like his old school books. :woowoo:

alkemical
02-15-2005, 04:29 AM

LOL i can see how that would do it for you.

I like those books, it seems it's that i understand it more now, than when i was a kid. Or at least i pick up on the allegorical stuff more.

alkemical
02-15-2005, 04:32 AM
Also for you CS lewis fans. Check out his other works. I got the screwtape letters - at first i wasn't sure if i'd dig it - due to the over-all theme - but afterwords - i found it to be really good.

No1BroncoFan
02-15-2005, 08:54 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia are coming to the movies.
http://www.narnia.com/movie/index.htm
I don't know whether to be gladdened or saddened. Disney is involved, which could mean a sacrifice of story for marketability. Curse Walt's decendants and the scum who have bought them out!

Walden Media started it out and Disney became a partner later, so maybe there's hope, but except for the Pixar films (which Disney has no creative control over), Disney films aren't worth a d*mn any more! Hopefully, Walden Media will keep the Disney people away from the creative end of things.

This could be a better set of films than "The Lord of the Rings" or it could be worse than "The Black Cauldron."

Ben

Mtbrncofn
02-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Great. I hope they don't ruin it.

Mile High Shack
02-16-2005, 09:31 AM
The Chronicles of Narnia are coming to the movies.
http://www.narnia.com/movie/index.htm
I don't know whether to be gladdened or saddened. Disney is involved, which could mean a sacrifice of story for marketability. Curse Walt's decendants and the scum who have bought them out!

Walden Media started it out and Disney became a partner later, so maybe there's hope, but except for the Pixar films (which Disney has no creative control over), Disney films aren't worth a d*mn any more! Hopefully, Walden Media will keep the Disney people away from the creative end of things.

This could be a better set of films than "The Lord of the Rings" or it could be worse than "The Black Cauldron."

Ben

this can't be good

no sir, not at all, I loved those books when I was in elementary school

No1BroncoFan
02-16-2005, 10:09 AM
this can't be good

no sir, not at all, I loved those books when I was in elementary school
Shack,
Read them again! They've lost none of their charm! I almost done with "Price Caspian" (fourth book) and it's only been since Saturday thay I got them from the library (today's Wed.). I simply haven't been able to put them down!.

Good news about the films, the same people who did all the effects work for LOTR are doing the effects for this one. It's got the director from "Shrek" so, hopefully, he'll be able to make them appeal to a wide range of audience ages while keeping true to the story. Disney has no creative control, so we won't see them watering it down for marketability (although, we'll probably be bombarded with Aslan dolls).

They appear to be planning all seven movies and are releasing them in order of original publication and not, as the later series have been published, in Narnia's chronological order.

I haven't got a firm release date yet, but I've heard it will be late this year. According to this site (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/) it will be later this year.

The bad news is, it'll be going up against "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and the established fan base Harry Potter has. Hopefully, there's enough of us who read and loved these books as kids that will take our kids (or maybe just go to see them ourselves) that Harry won't kill the Narnia series before it really gets a chance to get started properly. Not that I don't want Harry Potter to do well. After all, I can't get enough of those either! ;D Guess I'm just a big kid at heart.

Ben

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
This week's reading:

"Demian" by Hermann Hesse

The Upanishads

Old Dude
02-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Finished Game of Thrones, and now I'm about 100 pages into part II, A Clash of Kings. I am totally hooked. This is, by far, the best fantasy epic I've read since Lord of the Rings.

Also reminds me of an old board game we used to play around my house called "Kingmaker." Kind of like Risk, except you get to grab heirs to the throne and execute them for strategic advantage.

Rascal
02-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Sweet...executions.

I need to learn that game.

Mtbrncofn
02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
All the Koontz fans should definitely pick up Frankenstein. It's great, IMO. Classic Koontz. The only bad thing about is that it's the first book, and it leaves you hanging waiting for the second one. :gripe:

No1BroncoFan
03-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Ok, I finished both the Cronicles of Narnia and the Chronicles fo Prydain in just two weeks. What a great bunch of books. It's funny, the ones from the series that I liked least as a kid are my favorites now. I guess you have to have some perspective even to enjoy kids' books to their fullest. ;D I think I'll have to re-read "Stuart Little" for my next venture into kids' lit.

Right now I'm reading "Survival" (first book of the Species Imperative series) by Julie E. Czerneda. Next up is "A Game of Thrones" on recommendation from the folks here.

Ben

Old Dude
03-01-2005, 10:28 AM
... Next up is "A Game of Thrones" on recommendation from the folks here.

Ben

I'm halfway into the third book now (A Storm of Swords) and the series is still rocking, but since there's been so much discussion about Narnia, I should probably emphasize that the Game of Thrones series is in no way shape or form suitable for kids. Lots of sex, lots of depravity, lots of very graphic violence. Great stuff, though.

A good spoiler-free summary of what I just said:

http://www.proudestmonkeys.com/books/gameofthrones.html

Rascal
03-28-2005, 07:54 AM
If you are looking for a historical fiction book I would recommend The Shogun. I haven't read the rest of the series, but that was good book. I see Lord Helmchen also recommended it.

As soon as I finish this law school class (product liability...very interesting) I plan on reading the books Rohirrim mentioned: "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). And then Chronicles of Narnia...never read them.

Got Gates of Fire Friday night and finished reading it Sunday afternoon. Talk about a great book. The description of the battle was just awesome...palming the pine...wow.

That was a great book I'd recommend it easily. Think I'll go buy Tides of War and see how it is as well.

No1BroncoFan
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Finished Game of Thrones, and now I'm about 100 pages into part II, A Clash of Kings. I am totally hooked. This is, by far, the best fantasy epic I've read since Lord of the Rings.

Also reminds me of an old board game we used to play around my house called "Kingmaker." Kind of like Risk, except you get to grab heirs to the throne and execute them for strategic advantage.
Ok, I'm reading the second book of this series now (about half-way through) and I have to ask, what's the big deal? I'm sure I'll finish the series, but I can't see myself spending the cash to own these books. I'd have to rate them about half way between "not bad" and "pretty good." The dwarf is a kick in the a$$ though. By far the best character in the entire book.

Now, I just need to figure out how to return that pesky Corvallis, Or. library book. Hmmmmmm.....

Ben

Ray Finkle
04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
just finished "A Scanner Darkly"....not bad.

Kid A
04-17-2005, 12:54 PM
just finished "A Scanner Darkly"....not bad.
I heard they were making a movie based off that. Going to be animated and feature the voice of Keanu Reeves. Looks interesting. I might have to check out the book first.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2005, 01:01 PM
I heard they were making a movie based off that. Going to be animated and feature the voice of Keanu Reeves. Looks interesting. I might have to check out the book first.

the movie will be out next year. Actually they shot the movie using some type of film and then animated the film...

TD30
04-17-2005, 01:52 PM
OK Guys this may sound like a very stupid question and I may get some of the facts wrong. But I am looking for the title of a book my English teacher in college told me about, mind you that was several years ago. The book is basically about a spy in the wwII era that is either a werewolf or fights against a werewolf or something. That may be competely wrong but it involves the war and a wolf, lol. He told me about and said it was an incredible book. Problem is I forgot about and never thougt about it again until I read this thread. Sorry for the vague description.

TD30
04-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Nevermind I found it by doing the classic google search. The book is The Wolf's Hour written by Robert R. McCammon, I just picked it up at Barnes & Nobels. I'll let you know how it is.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Nevermind I found it by doing the classic google search. The book is The Wolf's Hour written by Robert R. McCammon, I just picked it up at Barnes & Nobels. I'll let you know how it is.

I will have to check that out...thanks.

Mtbrncofn
04-17-2005, 09:24 PM

Damn, I wish I had checked this sooner. I could have helped you out with that one, TD. I thought that was a great book. Generally anything Nazi related interests me, but not so much sci fi stuff of that nature. I was very skeptical when the werewolf stuff came up, but pleasantly surprised. I just re-read that book not too long ago and it was still as good as I remembered. Very graphic.

Let me know what you think of it, TD.

It got a :thumbs: in my book.

No1BroncoFan
04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Now I definitely have to go out and get them again.

I've started Frankenstein by Koontz and it looks like it's going to be a great one. Like his old school books. :woowoo:
MT,

Have you checked out the Narnia books yet?

Ben

Rascal
04-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Finished reading Tides of War....I think Gates of Fire was better but it was still a good book. I'd give it a B and Gates of Fire a A.

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2005, 02:20 PM
MT,

Have you checked out the Narnia books yet?

Ben

I haven't, Ben. I'm out of stuff to read right now though, so next time I am at the library, I will pick them up.

I just finished Life Expectancy by Koontz. A very un-Koontz like writing style, but I liked it. It didn't have all the odd stuff Koontz usually puts in his books, but there was a lot of comedy. It got a thumbs up from me.

No1BroncoFan
04-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I haven't, Ben. I'm out of stuff to read right now though, so next time I am at the library, I will pick them up.

I just finished Life Expectancy by Koontz. A very un-Koontz like writing style, but I liked it. It didn't have all the odd stuff Koontz usually puts in his books, but there was a lot of comedy. It got a thumbs up from me.
I'm gonna have to check out "Frankenstein" and "Life Expectancy" and see what they're about.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
04-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Let me know what you think of them.

I liked them a hell of a lot more than I've liked anything else of his for about the last 8 years.

I can't wait for the next Frankenstein to come out. Damn, I hate when you have to wait for books.

No1BroncoFan
07-23-2005, 07:26 PM
God, but this is frustrating! There's a new Harry Potter book on the market and I can't buy it. Why oh why did I pre-order? Right now I'm in limbo, not even knowing if it'll get forwarded from Oregon or not. ARRRRRRRRGH!

Ben

Rascal
12-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Just finished reading Last of the Mohicans. A good book and really really puts teh movie to shame, as most great novels do.

Next on the list is "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. I've been looking forward to reading this one for a while.

After that I've got:
Bushido: The way of the Samurai
Hagakure: Book of teh Samurai

Pendejo
12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I just re-read The Fountainhead. And I'm a little more than halfway through Siddartha.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
And I'm a little more than halfway through Siddartha.

:thumbsup:

Hesse is incredible.

"Demian" and "Steppenwolf" are my favorites.

Right now I'm working on "Occidental Mythology" by Joseph Campbell and "The Mayan Prophecies" by Adrian Gilbert.

alkemical
12-27-2005, 07:56 AM
I just re-read The Fountainhead. And I'm a little more than halfway through Siddartha.

Is it me, or did it seem like the tooey's of the world win with that ending in a way

Elway 4 Life
12-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Just fininshed the gunslinger by stephen king. I re-read every book in the series when a new one comes out.

Old Dude
12-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Finished Jim Butcher's Dead Beat last week. Good, pulpy fun. Modern day wizard battles Necromancers & their Zombie hordes in Chicago.

Got Martin's Feast for Crows for Christmas. Only about 100 pages into it so far, and it's starting a little slow, but I've still got my hopes up.

OrangeShadow
12-27-2005, 09:25 AM
i dont really read books much anymore. i cant sit down and read for a long period of time i get to bored. id rather be out partying or playing sports

MajikMan7
12-27-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm currently reading Forgiven : One Man's Journey from Self-Glorification to Sanctification by Vince Russo.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1550227041.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Florida_Bronco
12-27-2005, 10:02 AM
I read In the Company of Heroes by CW4 Michael Durant. It's about his experience as a prisoner of war for 11 days in Mogadishu, Somalia in 1993. Very good book.

Pendejo
12-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Is it me, or did it seem like the tooey's of the world win with that ending in a way

I suppose in some respects yes. But not before suffering a staggering defeat. Toohey had to start all over. Granted it probably wouldn't have taken as long for him to put his minions in place. But nevertheless he couldn't defeat Roark.

From my point of view the ending showed that the Roark's of the world really come out on top. He stayed true to himself and ended up being responsible for the biggest erection (laugh it up kiddos) New York had ever seen. Not to mention he wound up with the broad.

Even though perhaps the individualist may never completely defeat the second hander, his victory is more righteous and fulfilling because he does it simply for himself.

Toohey failed. Roark did not.

LordHelmchen
12-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Just finished reading Last of the Mohicans. A good book and really really puts teh movie to shame, as most great novels do.

Next on the list is "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. I've been looking forward to reading this one for a while.

After that I've got:
Bushido: The way of the Samurai
Hagakure: Book of teh Samurai
Props for bumping this thread :thumbsup:

More props for reminding me of a book I wanted to read when I was like 10 or 11 and my mom wouldn't let me. Now, almost 20 years later, I get reminded of it on a football board :D

Just ordered my copy.

I'm reading "Der Schwarm" at the moment, really gripping eco thriller..nature strikes back. Won't be realeased until June 2006 in the USA, but when it is, I recommend it""

Next up:
Two Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett
Thucydides - The History of the Peloponnesian War
Aeschylus - Persians
Herodotus - The Histories
Jean Jacques Machado - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Techniques

alkemical
12-27-2005, 01:57 PM
I suppose in some respects yes. But not before suffering a staggering defeat. Toohey had to start all over. Granted it probably wouldn't have taken as long for him to put his minions in place. But nevertheless he couldn't defeat Roark.

From my point of view the ending showed that the Roark's of the world really come out on top. He stayed true to himself and ended up being responsible for the biggest erection (laugh it up kiddos) New York had ever seen. Not to mention he wound up with the broad.

Even though perhaps the individualist may never completely defeat the second hander, his victory is more righteous and fulfilling because he does it simply for himself.

Toohey failed. Roark did not.

I don't disagree with that point - i just felt that it was left open that the tooey's never really 'lost'.

Pendejo
12-27-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't disagree with that point - i just felt that it was left open that the tooey's never really 'lost'.

Ok. I agree with that.

No1BroncoFan
12-28-2005, 10:02 PM
For the C.S. Lewis fans out there. Have you been to see "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" yet? I'll probably go to see it again before it leaves the theatres. That's very high praise coming from someone who has only seen three movies more than once at the theatres since "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" left the big screen! "Narnia" is one of the years best films and one of the best adaptations ever!

Ben

Ray Finkle
12-29-2005, 05:43 AM
For the C.S. Lewis fans out there. Have you been to see "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" yet? I'll probably go to see it again before it leaves the theatres. That's very high praise coming from someone who has only seen three movies more than once at the theatres since "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" left the big screen! "Narnia" is one of the years best films and one of the best adaptations ever!

Ben

Great movie....

I just finished Scar Tissue -Anthony Kiedis's autobiography....

am currently reading Freakanomics...

Mtbrncofn
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM
So 'Narnia' was good, huh? I'll take your word for it, Ben since you know your stuff when it comes to good reading and the movie stuff. I wanted to take my oldest daughter to see it, but I didn't want to be disappointed. She is currently in book 3 of the Chronicles and loving them. I'll have to get out and see it.

No1BroncoFan
12-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Speaking of movies... I just got back from "Goblet of Fire." Wow! Just, wow! I can't believe I waited this long to see it. This one I will see again!

Ben

Mile High Shack
01-26-2006, 12:51 PM
ok music people

I'm about the same age as Chuck Klosterman and I just got done reading his Fargo Rock City book, pretty damn funny book and I agreed with a lot of what he said...except for the metallica part and poison part, I can't stand poison.

I also read his newest book, Killing Yourself to Live, that was pretty funny as well

smalltowngrll
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Ben

I have been waiting for this movie to come out since I was a little girl. It actually opened on my birthday, so that was a GREAT birthday present! I love that whole Series! I'm already looking forward to the next movie! They did a great job of really sticking to the story! A little slow in a couple of parts...but, that is how the story goes! I am always so moved by that story. I have an old cartoon copy of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe...it's an old type of cartoon so it's actually funny now when I watch it...but, I've always loved it!

Ever read any of CS Lewis' other books? Mere Christianity?

Dagmar
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.couplandesque.net/culture/dc1.gif

epicSocialism4tw
01-26-2006, 03:27 PM

Ben

Lewis' best fiction is his Space Trilogy, IMO. Perelandra (2nd in the trilogy) is a monumental work that entertains on many levels.

alkemical
01-26-2006, 03:33 PM
I just read 'the time machine did it' by john swartzwelder

Mtbrncofn
01-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Lewis' best fiction is his Space Trilogy, IMO. Perelandra (2nd in the trilogy) is a monumental work that entertains on many levels.

I just borrowed this from my mom. We are usually on the same level with our likes and dislikes on books. She loves this trilogy. I started it and couldn't get past the first 40 pages of 'Out of the Silent Planet'. Admittedly, I am not a huge sci-fi fan, but this just seemed extraordinarily boring to me. Should I give it another shot or not?

epicSocialism4tw
01-26-2006, 10:19 PM
I just borrowed this from my mom. We are usually on the same level with our likes and dislikes on books. She loves this trilogy. I started it and couldn't get past the first 40 pages of 'Out of the Silent Planet'. Admittedly, I am not a huge sci-fi fan, but this just seemed extraordinarily boring to me. Should I give it another shot or not?

Yeah...it starts getting more interesting towards the end of the book. It's not exactly neccessary to read to understand Perelandra, but it will make it more enjoyable. Perelandra is great.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-27-2006, 03:19 AM
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6408/sandra28wa.jpg

Funny stuff!

Mile High Shack
02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Just got done reading Stephen King's new book "Cell"

to ALL Stephen King fans, you MUST read this book

it's his best work in at least 10 years

VERY, VERY good

Old Dude
02-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm looking for a good (non-fiction) book on the Battle of Stalingrad.

Any suggestions?

-Slap-
02-10-2006, 05:41 PM

VERY, VERY good
Oh man, I just checked out the premise. I honestly thought I might never buy another Stephen King book, certainly not one in hardcover, but I'm going out to buy this one tonight.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743292332.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Rock Chalk
02-10-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm looking for a good (non-fiction) book on the Battle of Stalingrad.

Any suggestions?
A list of books about the Battle of Stalingrad (http://books.google.com/books?q=Battle+of+Stalingrad&hl=en)

Google each of the books (or Amazon them) and you can get reviews on them.

That's generally how I have been going about picking books lately.

Dagmar
02-10-2006, 08:05 PM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0330484559.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Mile High Shack
02-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Oh man, I just checked out the premise. I honestly thought I might never buy another Stephen King book, certainly not one in hardcover, but I'm going out to buy this one tonight.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743292332.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

what did you think slap?

BroncoInferno
02-13-2006, 07:57 AM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0330484559.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I LOVE DAVE EGGERS!!!!!!!!!!

Do you read McSweeny's Quarterly (which Eggers edits)?

Atwater
02-17-2006, 02:21 PM
I jost got done reading the Deer hunter pretty good book.

-Slap-
02-20-2006, 11:22 PM
what did you think slap?
I didn't actually get around to buying it until last Friday, but I'm glad I did. Easily his best work in the last 10 years, maybe his best work in the last 20 years. I hope they don't botch the movie, but I figure they will.

No1BroncoFan
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM

VERY, VERY good
I started "Cell" last night and I'm already ~130 pages in. Wow!

Other stuff I've read recently/would recommend:
Anything/everything by James Alen Gardner. "Expendable" was his first novel and the best place to start.
C. J. Cherryh - "The Faded Sun" trilogy and the "Foreigner" series. Really, almost anything she's written, especially her SciFi.
"Ancient Shores" by Jack McDevitt (sp?) is a great read too.

Ben

Pezman
02-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I started "Cell" last night and I'm already ~130 pages in. Wow!

Other stuff I've read recently/would recommend:
Anything/everything by James Alen Gardner. "Expendable" was his first novel and the best place to start.
C. J. Cherryh - "The Faded Sun" trilogy and the "Foreigner" series. Really, almost anything she's written, especially her SciFi.
"Ancient Shores" by Jack McDevitt (sp?) is a great read too.

Ben

Hey! I read the Faded Sun series last year Ben! I remember how slow that series started though, but it got much better about a third of the way in. Good read, even if you had to hate those damned Reguls!!!

heydensmom
02-28-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm sure you men will rush out and read this one. I just finished the complete Shopaholic collection...all 4 by Sophia Kinsella. Now I'm reading Can you keep a secret....then the Devil Wears Parada LOL

Mile High Shack
02-28-2006, 07:02 AM
I didn't actually get around to buying it until last Friday, but I'm glad I did. Easily his best work in the last 10 years, maybe his best work in the last 20 years. I hope they don't botch the movie, but I figure they will.

yep, indeed, the ending was a bit hokey and he took some leaps of faith in technology

but yes, overall, his best since the 80's

MajikMan7
02-28-2006, 07:41 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1550227041.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No1BroncoFan
02-28-2006, 08:59 PM
If they make it into a movie, they'll probably just make it a stupid zombie movie. What a disservice that would be. Then again, I wouldn't expect more from an industry (movies) that feels it has to dumb down freaking everything.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
02-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm just starting The DaVinci Code. Had to see what all the talk was about. I've read most of his others and liked them very much.

No1BroncoFan
02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey! I read the Faded Sun series last year Ben! I remember how slow that series started though, but it got much better about a third of the way in. Good read, even if you had to hate those damned Reguls!!!
Cherryh's books almost always start out slow but I haven't run across one yet that wasn't worth the read. Another good series is the Chanur series. "The Pride of Chanur" was the book that got me hooked on C.J. Cherryh's fiction. Her "Fortress" series is also quite good. She's one of the few autors I've read who can do SciFi and Fantasy and do them both well.

Ben

No1BroncoFan
05-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm just starting The DaVinci Code. Had to see what all the talk was about. I've read most of his others and liked them very much.
Now that the movie is out and there's so much controversy, I've put it on my list. I'm sure that's exactly what the Christian groups screaming about the film wanted! ;D

Pez, you need to check out the Chanur series, seriously. I'm currently re-reading them and they're even better than I remembered.

Ben

ludo21
05-21-2006, 05:16 PM

what did you think?

I love it as a pure fiction book. As a Christian I think of it as pure blasphemy and i recently listened to the guy who wrote "Cracking Da Vinci;s Code" and he basically put everything in it to shame. Even non-christian scholars are upset about some of Browns work.

Sassy
05-21-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm sure you men will rush out and read this one. I just finished the complete Shopaholic collection...all 4 by Sophia Kinsella. Now I'm reading Can you keep a secret....then the Devil Wears Parada LOL
I've read some of hers! Have you read any of the Hannah Swenson mysteries by Joanne Fluke? I just finished the Cherry Cheesecake Murder....I also like Diane Mott Davidson's mysteries. I also just finished "Dark Tort".

Mtbrncofn
05-21-2006, 09:26 PM
what did you think?

I love it as a pure fiction book. As a Christian I think of it as pure blasphemy and i recently listened to the guy who wrote "Cracking Da Vinci;s Code" and he basically put everything in it to shame. Even non-christian scholars are upset about some of Browns work.

It was a great pure fiction book. I have to admit though, it does put an inkling of question in your head...the way it was done. Not doubt, but it definitely makes you think.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the books that explains it all away...in the Christian sense.

Based purely on it being a great read and having nothing to do with proving or disproving something I hold dear.....it was just that, a great read.

Mtbrncofn
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM
If you girls want to read some hysterically funny books that are mystery-ish, read Janet Evanovich's numbers series. I LOVE those books. Seriously, I sit here and laugh out loud at some of the stuff that goes on in them. They're the kind where it's torture to wait for the next one.

Sassy
05-21-2006, 10:36 PM
I'll check them out! My mom has some of them...
I have two sisters and my mom, grandma and sisters and I all share books...
They'll make the rounds eventually!

Mtbrncofn
05-21-2006, 10:37 PM
You really should! They'll have your sides aching. My mom and I do the same things with books. I get a lot of mine from the pawn shop. They give a credit when you go trade them back in. I'm not much of a book keeper, so I don't even know why I do this. I should just stick with the library!

Sassy
05-21-2006, 10:40 PM
You really should! They'll have your sides aching. My mom and I do the same things with books. I get a lot of mine from the pawn shop. They give a credit when you go trade them back in. I'm not much of a book keeper, so I don't even know why I do this. I should just stick with the library!
Library is great too...except sometimes you have to get on the list for the new books! Sometimes, I'm not that patient! ;D

Mtbrncofn
05-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Gosh, I always have to get on the list for the new ones, and patience is not one of my virtues either! I try to get on before the book even is released so I at least get a good spot in line.

ludo21
05-21-2006, 11:11 PM
It was a great pure fiction book. I have to admit though, it does put an inkling of question in your head...the way it was done. Not doubt, but it definitely makes you think.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the books that explains it all away...in the Christian sense.

Based purely on it being a great read and having nothing to do with proving or disproving something I hold dear.....it was just that, a great read.

Yeah, Garlow is a good writer. He wrote "Breaking Da Vincis code".

Dang it, caz on the recent talk on "Cell", i just bought it. Dang you OMers, dang you! :rofl:

Dagmar
05-22-2006, 09:22 PM
http://www.miss604.com/uploaded_images/jpod-755583.jpg

heydensmom
05-23-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks Mtn...I'll have to check them out. I just saw the other day that they made a movie outta The devil wears prada.....so my goal now is to read that book this weekend. They never do justice from books to movies....look at Bridget Jones. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the movies, but the books were so much better. Especially edge of reason, the book was so much better.

BroncoBuff
05-25-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm reading "Deep Stall: The Turbulent History of Boeing."

Next:

"Gravity's Rainbow" - Pynchon
"State of Fear" - Crichton

And I think I'll get "Devil Wears Prada."

Sassy
05-25-2006, 06:07 AM
I'm reading "Deep Stall: The Turbulent History of Boeing."

Next:

"Gravity's Rainbow" - Pynchon
"State of Fear" - Crichton

And I think I'll get "Devil Wears Prada."

So you can chat with us in "Girl Talk" :devil: ;)

heydensmom
05-25-2006, 06:15 AM
LOL I know..I left a rep saying I'd give him my copy!

BroncoInferno
05-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Philip Roth' Everyman is a very moving and sad novel dealing with a man coming to terms with his deteriorating body and the choices he's made that have left him to deal with it all alone. It certainly won't give you warm fuzzies, but it is a touchiung book by one of America's best living novelists.

alkemical
05-25-2006, 08:44 AM
The Magus

Arkansas Bronco
05-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm halfway into the third book now (A Storm of Swords) and the series is still rocking, but since there's been so much discussion about Narnia, I should probably emphasize that the Game of Thrones series is in no way shape or form suitable for kids. Lots of sex, lots of depravity, lots of very graphic violence. Great stuff, though.
Never viewed this topic before but I also liked the Songs of Fire and Ice books. Still havnt finished Feast for Crows yet but that is because they took jon out and put him in the next book (Dance with Dragons). Also some of my favorite fantasy books are the Serpentwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. Names of the books are Shaddow of a Dark Queen, Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, and Shards of a Broken Crown. Also like Cbs said earlier in this thread the Sword of Truth novels (he called it the wizard first rule books) are also good reads kind of slows a bit in the middle but started getting better here of late.

mosca
05-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Never viewed this topic before but I also liked the Songs of Fire and Ice books. Still havnt finished Feast for Crows yet but that is because they took jon out and put him in the next book (Dance with Dragons).
Feast for Crows is by far the worst of the series! No Jon Snow, no Tyrion... I read about 1/3rd of it and had to stop just out of sheer boredom. It's almost as if Martin is taking a cue from Robert Jordan in prolonging his books with unnecessary characters and plotpoints. Let's hope Dance with Dragons is back up to par.

Arkansas Bronco
05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Feast for Crows is by far the worst of the series! No Jon Snow, no Tyrion... I read about 1/3rd of it and had to stop just out of sheer boredom. It's almost as if Martin is taking a cue from Robert Jordan in prolonging his books with unnecessary characters and plotpoints. Let's hope Dance with Dragons is back up to par.
Yea Jon is my favorite character now since my other one has kind of died. Like you I am having a hard time with this book and i was so excited when it came out. They put almost all the characters I dont like and put them in one book. It seems like alot of novels start to struggle about the 4rth book or so.

scorpio
05-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Alright, fellow George R.R. Martin nerds. I finished A Feast For Crows but it took me a long time and I read a couple other books in between. All in all not quite the page turner as the previous books, but makes me really look forward to the next one.

Valar Morghulis. All men must die.

Currently re-reading "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" by Heinlein

ludo21
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
"Cell" is pretty good so far, it sure does start out quick.

mosca
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Yea Jon is my favorite character now since my other one has kind of died. Like you I am having a hard time with this book and i was so excited when it came out. They put almost all the characters I dont like and put them in one book. It seems like alot of novels start to struggle about the 4rth book or so.
yeah... i think i actually read that somewhere, that he wrote both this and the next book at once and the publisher decided to split them into two novels due to length. so all the crap characters got shoveled into this book and hopefully all the interesting ones are in the next (fingers crossed). i stopped reading it and read some other stuff i've been wanting to read, but i'm sure i will eventually come back and finish it, especially before the 5th one comes out.

scorpio - does the book at least start to get better towards the latter half of it?

alkemical
05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0766176649/qid=1148676964/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-4034933-7764953?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Old Dude
05-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I finished Stalingrad a few weeks ago, as well as some other WWII histories and decided I needed something lighter.

So I just started vol. 8 of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, "Proven Guilty". This is kind of a cross between Harry Potter, Sam Spade, Dr. Strange and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, all set in modern Chicago. Lightweight pap, but very well done.

scorpio
05-26-2006, 03:27 PM
yeah... i think i actually read that somewhere, that he wrote both this and the next book at once and the publisher decided to split them into two novels due to length. so all the crap characters got shoveled into this book and hopefully all the interesting ones are in the next (fingers crossed). i stopped reading it and read some other stuff i've been wanting to read, but i'm sure i will eventually come back and finish it, especially before the 5th one comes out.

scorpio - does the book at least start to get better towards the latter half of it?

Yeah, it picks up a bit; I'd still recommend finishing it if you get a chance. Mostly this book is a lot of politics, but it seems to be building toward a lot of action in the next book. Dragons!

Old Dude
05-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Alright, fellow George R.R. Martin nerds. I finished A Feast For Crows but it took me a long time and I read a couple other books in between. All in all not quite the page turner as the previous books, but makes me really look forward to the next one.

The Cersei is quite the Stateswoman isn't she?