PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Sassy
03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
I wanna read about "Ranger" ;D

alkemical
03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
i'm a big lovecraft fan

Mtbrncofn
03-21-2007, 12:48 AM
I wanna read about "Ranger" ;D

LOL

No1BroncoFan
03-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Watchers was one of his best.

Amen!

I just finished "From the Corner of His Eye" by Koontz. Not his best, but still pretty good.

Ben

Billy Clyde Puckett
03-21-2007, 10:40 PM
I just finished "Elvis, Jesus and Coca Cola" by Kinky Friedman.

You Texans should have elected him Governor - At least politics would be fun.

BTW, in the book he had a cat he called Beezer. You don't suppose......... ;D

Tredici
03-24-2007, 02:07 AM
I figure if I've read a book more than once it probably should go on my top list. The first book I remember reading every year of late grade school through Jr. High was:

The Yearling - Majorie Kinnan Rawlings

And I'll probably work my way through all these another time. Like old friends.
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
The World According to Garp - John Irving
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
The Red Dragon - Thomas Harris
A Great Deliverance - Elizabeth George
Roots - Alex Haley
Have to sneak in one more... The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

And while I couldn't bump any of the above, I've read Koontz' Watchers a couple of times, too. I feel bad not including any Stephen King, Harlen Coben, Julie Smith, Robert Crais or Michael Connelly books. I think I've read everything each of them has written.

BroncoInferno
03-24-2007, 04:11 AM
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
The World According to Garp - John Irving

These are favorites of mine, also. A Confederacy of Dunces, Slaughterhouse-five, Catch-22, and The Sound and the Fury make my list as well.

Tredici
03-24-2007, 11:59 AM
These are favorites of mine, also. A Confederacy of Dunces, Slaughterhouse-five, Catch-22, and The Sound and the Fury make my list as well.

All excellent choices... meh. too many good books.

Tredici
03-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Today I was at Borders and was reminded Nelson Demille's The Charm School is also one of my favs. So many good reads.

No1BroncoFan
03-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm working my way through the Unfortunate Events chronicled by Lemony Snicket and wondering why they are so popular. The plot ideas are so simplistic that anyone over the age of 7 or 8 should fail mightely in the suspension of disbelief and the stories are so disturbingly dark that (in my opinion) no one under the age of ten should be allowed to read them (there are some truly horrible things described in these books). Currently, I'm just curious if the main characters even surviver the series. If they weren't audio books, there's no way I could finish them.

For those of you who like well written kids books, re-read the Harry Potter series and give Lemony Snicket a miss.

Ben

Dagmar
03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Being an A.M. in a book store I am anticipating a hellish month... Oprah her new bazillion selling bookclub pick this week, then when that finally calms down...

In three weeks...

THIS is released.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0618894640.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V43060813_.jpg

That'll be like training camp for the Superbowl on July 21st... HP7... http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0545010225.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V24367846_.jpg

Between we have THIS one, which'll be HUGE! http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1594489505.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V44322525_.jpg

BroncoBuff
03-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Three or four months ago I put both Barack Obama books on hold at SPL ... Tredici's favorite public building in Seattle ... here's some pics she took of it:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=17919&stc=1&d=1163965098 . . http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=17917&stc=1&d=1163964923 . . http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=17911&stc=1&d=1163964433 . . http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=17915&stc=1&d=1163964736

Anyway .... when I put them on hold, I was #375 ('Audacity') and #190 (first book) .... I even reserved the LARGE PRINT edition of 'Audacity,' but was #155. Today - four months later - I was #78 .... so I just went out and boughtthe damned thing - $19.

alkemical
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
I believe i've played my bongos in front of that.

alkemical
03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
I slept at the locks alot too.... lol

Tredici
03-29-2007, 02:14 AM

Disturbing visual... and probably more information than we need.

:~ohyah!:

BroncoBuff
03-29-2007, 05:17 AM

I believe I gave you a dollar! Did you play "Inagaddadavida"?

alkemical
03-29-2007, 09:33 AM

I don't play them like matthew mchonahey (yeah i butchered his last name, but i spelled it phonetically)

alkemical
03-29-2007, 09:33 AM
I believe I gave you a dollar! Did you play "Inagaddadavida"?

Hmmm, i don't believe so - we were in it for the art man, not the money..... ;)

Billy Clyde Puckett
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
These are favorites of mine, also. A Confederacy of Dunces, .

Wonder how many here have read that book and know the story behind it. Took me a bit of time to get in the mood for it several years ago when I read it, but it really grew on me. I should read it again.

Mtbrncofn
03-30-2007, 02:38 AM

Naughty!

Tredici
04-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Montana - Did that third book in the Koontz Frankenstein trilogy ever come out? I still haven't read the first two on my bookshelf because, well, I hate waiting on the ending.

Arkie
04-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I recently read "A Painted House" by John Grisham. I didn't realize that book existed, or I would have read it much sooner. I am very familiar with the setting, and Grisham tells it with perfect detail. It's pretty amazing. My dad was 7 years old in 1952. That's the same age as the main character, and he lives in the same small town!

I'm currently reading "Angela's Ashes." It's strikingly similar to A Painted House, only it's the Irish version, and the kid and his family are even poorer. It's cool reading these two coming-of-age stories back to back. Angela's Ashes won the Pulitzer Prize.

Sassy
04-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Just finished The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly.

Mtbrncofn
04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Montana - Did that third book in the Koontz Frankenstein trilogy ever come out? I still haven't read the first two on my bookshelf because, well, I hate waiting on the ending.

It's not out yet, and damnit the waiting is killing me! I think it's due out in May or June?

Sassy
04-01-2007, 09:32 PM
June is going to be a busy reading month for you MT... hope you get to enjoy your books on a beach somewhere! ;D

Jana®
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Best place to read a book, in the sun, by the ocean. Preferably with a cold drink close by! (A nice looking man giving you a back massage as you read would be good too.. ;) )

As for books I've read, I have gotten really bad at reading. I used to read everything under the sun, but I've sort of lost my attention span for it. I was on medication back in early 2004 for about a year, and it messed with my concentration for reading. I'm in the middle of a bunch of books right now, but I can't for some reason get into it like I used to. The book I am concentrating on right now is the Bible. (Not to turn this into a religious discussion, lol..)

Tredici
04-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Just finished The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly.

I love Micheal Connelly. I've read all his books. How about you? I liked the character he introduces in The Lincoln Lawyer and figure we will see him around again in the future. I like Harry Bosch better, though.

Just picked up Harlen Cohen's "Promise Me". After a long wait he's bringing back the character he started with. Myron Bolitar. A blown out knee NBA never made it, now a sports agent, with a murky CIA type past. Sounds bizarre but somehow Cohen makes it work. I love Myron!

Sassy
04-03-2007, 01:38 AM
I think it's the first one I've read! Ha! I also liked the lawyer...I want to know which wife he gets back with! Ha! That was also one sick kid he defended!

My mom, sisters, grandma and I all exchange books and that one happen to be in the pile this time. I liked it though!

I just started Larry Brooks "Bait and Switch"...about a guy that's hired by a billionaire to have a fling with his ex-wife for a million bucks so he doesn't have to pay her 3 million a month alimony (prenup would be broken if she lived with a guy) but somehow the IRS/FBI are in on it. The IRS is trying to get the billionaire for tax fraud.

Ha! Boy this got interesting...hard to tell the bad guys from the good! LOL!

Mtbrncofn
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
June is going to be a busy reading month for you MT... hope you get to enjoy your books on a beach somewhere! ;D

And I can't wait!

Actually, every month is a busy reading month for me. It's always been that way. I average about 3 books a week. It's my sedative at night. I cannot go to sleep without reading myself there. :)

Dagmar
04-04-2007, 03:08 AM
One of the AMAZING benefits of my job is getting advanced copies of books.

Author Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner) has a new book out at the end of May and we got the advanced (uncorrected proof) 2 weeks ago! This book is #45 in the Amazon sales rank, and it isn't out for 2 months! The only other book not out for a month in the top 100 is the new Harry Potter. Quite a benefit.

Any fans of the Kite Runner will NOT be disappointed.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1594489505.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V44322525_.jpg

Tredici
04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Just finished Coben's "Promise Me". As usual, he delivers.

Ben -- if this is one of the authors you haven't tried yet, give it a go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

BTW - Dunning just had another one hit in paperback. The Bookwoman's Last Fling. It's on deck. Right now I'm going to start Ian Rankin's "A Question of Blood."

When I run out of things by my favorites and start looking around for someone new I tend to look at the list of books that have won the Edgar Award and try those writers. That's how I came by checking out Rankin.

BroncoBuff
04-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I love Micheal Connelly. I've read all his books. How about you? I liked the character he introduces in The Lincoln Lawyer and figure we will see him around again in the future.

Speaking of characters, when in Elvis Cole coming back?

Tredici
04-11-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't know about Elvis but this one is just out and is about his sidekick - Joe Pike.

No1BroncoFan
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Just finished Coben's "Promise Me". As usual, he delivers.

Ben -- if this is one of the authors you haven't tried yet, give it a go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
On the list!

BTW - Dunning just had another one hit in paperback. The Bookwoman's Last Fling. It's on deck. Right now I'm going to start Ian Rankin's "A Question of Blood."

When I run out of things by my favorites and start looking around for someone new I tend to look at the list of books that have won the Edgar Award and try those writers. That's how I came by checking out Rankin.
When I run out of favorites, I look at Hugo and Nebula award winners. ;D I love reading and Sci-Fi/Fantasy will always be my first, truest love.

Ben

No1BroncoFan
04-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I've started something loooooooong overdue. Reading the great American classics. I put "Lord of the Flies" (believe it or not, I've never read it) on hold today. I'm also going to (finally) get around to some Twain (never read any that wasn't assigned in school, and didn't read most of those either) and Hemmingway (nope, never, not even one before now).

Sci-Fi fans, "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow" by Orson Scott Card are MUST READ books! I have rarely been as entertained by any medium as I was with these. There are eight books in the "Ender" series (really two series of four books each with "Game" and "Shadow" being the first of each and you won't miss anything relavent to the story if you skip the ones in between), but these are definately the best of the bunch. For those of you who have read them, "Ender's Game" is coming to the big screen in '08 and I can hardly freakin' wait! Card has combined the two books ("Shadow" is a re-telling of "Game" from another character's perspective) to create yet a third version of this awesome tale.

Ben

Sassy
04-11-2007, 09:46 PM
No time for reading NOW...the SCHEDULE is out...time to plan the tailgates, hotels and flights for the Bronco games ;D

No1BroncoFan
04-11-2007, 10:55 PM
No time for reading NOW...the SCHEDULE is out...time to plan the tailgates, hotels and flights for the Bronco games ;D
notsofast There's always time for reading! notsofast

;D

Ben

Sassy
04-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I always read...
I can go to the library and pick up 6-8 books and have them read in a week!

Mtbrncofn
04-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I always read...
I can go to the library and pick up 6-8 books and have them read in a week!

Same here! The library is one of my best friends, unless I'm far down on the waiting list for new books. ;D

No1BroncoFan
04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Same here! The library is one of my best friends, unless I'm far down on the waiting list for new books. ;D
I'm already #124 on the waiting list for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" on audio CD. Man am I glad I got in early. I love the library. It's more than just a best friend.

Ben

Sassy
04-14-2007, 12:37 AM
The one thing about the library...sometimes the books get a little "gross"...who knows what people do while reading them!
I've had some paperbacks that were a little disgusting.

Sassy
04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey MT...Janet Evanovich , along with Leanne Banks, just released a book "Hot Stuff" in paperback. I picked it up today! It's copyright is april 2007 so hopefully it's a "new" one. (Not a Plum book though. ) It also says in the book "Lean Mean Thirteen" is due out soon!

Mtbrncofn
04-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Cool!

Dagmar
04-18-2007, 04:40 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1582433542.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45276398_AA240_SH20_.jpg

clarkster
04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
most recently read Once an Eagle by Anton Myer(sp)
awesome story if youre into the horrors of war and like it when the good guy dies in the end.

No1BroncoFan
04-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Justg picked up "Eragon" (had to see what all the hubub is about) and "Lord of the Flies on audio CD today. I'll start "Lord of the Flies" in the morning.

I'm almost done with the second book in Larry Niven's "Ringworld" series. The first two have been quite good reads.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
04-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Give a review of 'Eragon', Ben. It's not really my kind of book, but my daughter might like it.

No1BroncoFan
04-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Give a review of 'Eragon', Ben. It's not really my kind of book, but my daughter might like it.
Will do. I love fantasy and I enjoy well written kids books (tho I think this one's aimed at the 12-15 crowd) so this one should be right up my alley. ;D

Ben

Old Dude
04-20-2007, 05:10 PM
I need something pulpy and distracting so i'm going to pick up Jim Butcher's White Night (Dresden Files) and read it this weekend. Not exactly Shakespeare, but I need a lift.

No1BroncoFan
04-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Ok, I finished "Eragon" the other day and here are my thoughts:
What's the big deal? It was a generic fantasy tale of a dragon and her rider that leaned heavily on fatasy works that have come before. If you're looking for a fresh version of the Pern books (which were definately getting stale until Todd McCaffrey started writhing), just read the first four or five again, or better yet, read the three that are written by Todd and rediscover the world of Pern from a fresh vantage. Eragon is not a bad book. In fact, I've placed a hold on the sequal "Eldest." But, it's not really a good book either. The plot concepts are too tired and cliche'd and being aimed at adolsecent readers their wasn't much done in the story telling (as there is in the Narnia series or the Harry Potter books) to cover these shortcomings. All in all, worth a read and probably a very good book for someone who hasn't been reading 2-5 books/week for over 30 years.

I'm hoping the series will improve as it progresses as so many series do (especially in the fantasy genre), hence the willingness to read the second book. Let me get through that one before I give a true thumbs-up (or -down). ;D

Ben

Mtbrncofn
04-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Hmmm. Like I said, sci-fi is so not my genre, but my daughter might like it. She read all the Narnia books and through 4 in Harry Potter.

She might like it based on what you said. She's not even close to knowing what its like to read overdone concepts. :)

Thanks, Ben!

Dagmar
04-30-2007, 06:45 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rmmpYMQoL._AA240_.jpg

Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey
by Chuck Palahniuk (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-0597695-8052835?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Chuck%20Palahniuk)

No1BroncoFan
05-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Hmmm. Like I said, sci-fi is so not my genre, but my daughter might like it. She read all the Narnia books and through 4 in Harry Potter.

She might like it based on what you said. She's not even close to knowing what its like to read overdone concepts. :)

Thanks, Ben!
If she likes Sci-fi, get her the "Ringworld" books by Larry Niven. They are incredible.

Ben

BroncoInferno
05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41o-zLrVMGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

No1BroncoFan
05-08-2007, 08:13 PM
ARGHHHHHH!!!!! Will July 21 ever get here?!?

Ben

No1BroncoFan
05-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Recently finished books:
"Ringworld," "Ringworld Engineers," "The Ringworld Throne" and "Ringworld's Children" by Larry Niven. Very good Sci-Fi, as is usually the case with Niven.

"Ender's Game" and almost all the sequals (eight books so far with two on deck) by Orson Scott Card. This was some of the best and some of the strangest Sci-Fi I've ever read.

"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. Absolutely amazing book.

"Hearts in Atlantis" by Stephrn King. Certainly not his best work, but far from the worst. I actually enjoyed it much more reading it for the second time.

On deck:
"Eldest" by Christopher Paolini.
"The Lord of the Rings" again, for the eleventy-first time. ;D
"The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King.
And, to get geared up for July 21st (will it ever get here?), the "Harry Potter" series.
Almost forgot...
"Animal Farm" and "1984" by George Orwell.

Ben

Old Dude
05-22-2007, 11:55 PM
On deck:

The Plot Against America (Philip Roth) (Lindy gets elected president and the nazis win)
Thunderstruck (Eric Larson) ("true crime story" of Harvey Crippen & how he was captured through new invention - the wireless.)
The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova) (some kind of vampire novel that got great reviews)

Florida_Bronco
05-23-2007, 02:20 AM
I don't know about Elvis but this one is just out and is about his sidekick - Joe Pike.

The Watchman? I saw that at Target and it caught my eye, was planning on going back to pick it up. Have you read it yet?

Tredici
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
The Watchman? I saw that at Target and it caught my eye, was planning on going back to pick it up. Have you read it yet?

Yeah, that's the one supposedly about Joe. I read so many books I rarely buy hardbacks. I have quite a few reads stacked up right now but decided to read Roots again. Every now and then I revisit.

Smiling Assassin27
05-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI is friggin amazing, thus far.

Sassy
06-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey MT! 15 days....it's coming!

http://www.evanovich.com/

You can read parts of it online!
(The first two chapters!)

Mtbrncofn
06-07-2007, 01:12 AM
W00t! Can't wait! I wonder where I am in line on the list?

BlaK-Argentina
06-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Any John Katzenbach fans?

Sassy
06-07-2007, 11:16 AM
W00t! Can't wait! I wonder where I am in line on the list?

Did you order it?

Mtbrncofn
06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
No way, I'm far too cheap for that! ;D I put my name on the list at the library long ago though.

Inkana7
06-08-2007, 01:23 AM
http://www.ecaminc.com/Images/GunsOfAugust.gif

Tredici
06-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Any John Katzenbach fans?

For sure I read In The Heat of the Summer and probably a couple more. I remember that one because in the end the reporter leaves Miami and goes to work for the Greeley Tribune....

Anyone read any Daniel Kalla? First time read - Rage Therapy. So far it has been able to maintain my interest.

BlaK-Argentina
06-08-2007, 01:46 AM
For sure I read In The Heat of the Summer and probably a couple more. I remember that one because in the end the reporter leaves Miami and goes to work for the Greeley Tribune....

Yes, I read that one and The Analyst, loved both of them. Love his style, very "to the point" and exciting.
I'll be reading a couple more by him this summer for sure.

Sassy
06-08-2007, 02:07 AM
No way, I'm far too cheap for that! ;D I put my name on the list at the library long ago though.

Good plan! I never remember to do that!
Did you read the first two chapters yet? ;)

theAPAOps5
06-08-2007, 02:11 AM
I can't wait until July 21st. I didn't start reading the Potter books until last summer. So this is the first book I have had to wait this long for. I had a little wait for Halfblood Prince but nothing like this. I never thought a kids book would get me as hooked as these. Her writings are amazing.

Mtbrncofn
06-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Good plan! I never remember to do that!
Did you read the first two chapters yet? ;)

Well of course! Thanks for that link, btw. :)

No1BroncoFan
06-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I can't wait until July 21st. I didn't start reading the Potter books until last summer. So this is the first book I have had to wait this long for. I had a little wait for Halfblood Prince but nothing like this. I never thought a kids book would get me as hooked as these. Her writings are amazing.
If July 21st were tomorrow it wouldn't be soon enough!

BTW - They're not exactly "kids books" any more.

Ben

Sassy
06-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Well of course! Thanks for that link, btw. :)

You're welcome! :thumbsup:

BroncoBuff
06-09-2007, 01:48 AM
I think I'm actually jealous of Paris Hilton ... I would love to have 3 weeks of peace and quiet to read 10-15 books. And the WHOLE daily paper.

I would take notes on the books I read to cement the info later. I'd prolly select a few textbook-type titles on topics I'm interested in as well as a few novels.

Mtbrncofn
06-28-2007, 12:51 AM
I hit the library book jackpot today but damnit if I wasn't at the lake and didn't get the message in time. 'Lean Mean Thirteen' is in for ME! Woohoo! Can't believe I'll be getting it so quick!

I could have already had it done or most of the way there if I'd gotten the message earlier. Damnit.

Sassy
06-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I broke down and bought it! Great news you're getting it already! I was going to offer to let you borrow mine! ;D

Dagmar
06-28-2007, 11:54 AM
24 days till the big event...

alkemical
06-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a hard time finding fiction i like. I'm a huge HP lovecraft fan, and i like to read - but it's hard to catch something i really can get interested in. I used to read TONS of fiction when i was younger.

Old Dude
06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.ecaminc.com/Images/GunsOfAugust.gif

That's a fabulous book, BTW.

BroncoInferno
06-29-2007, 12:11 AM
On deck:

The Plot Against America (Philip Roth) (Lindy gets elected president and the nazis win)

Roth is my favorite contemporary writer. Have you read this one yet? Excellent read. If you like this one, you should also check out Portnoy's Complaint, The Human Stain, and Sabbath's Theater. Hell, you really can't go wrong with any Roth. His latest, Everyman, is one of the best works on aging I've read.

BroncoBuff
06-29-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm giving up on reading. Ever since Tredici exposed me as a literary dilettante.

Dagmar
06-29-2007, 11:21 AM
23 days...

No1BroncoFan
06-29-2007, 07:19 PM
23 days...
You mean 23 years?

I'm glad I got mine pre-ordered. It's gonna be a fiasco for ayone trying to get a copy who didn't.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2007, 01:29 AM
I broke down and bought it! Great news you're getting it already! I was going to offer to let you borrow mine! ;D

Well that was a nice thought! Thanks!

Sassy
07-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Well that was a nice thought! Thanks!

No problem...did you read it yet ;D

BroncoBuff
07-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Dagmar .... Keith Olbermann says Harry lives. It would be terrible for the new Potter movie box office (of the last book) if everybody knew that Harry was killed in the next book. He does think that Harry might lose all his powers though, in order to rid the scar (?) of the bad guy off his forehead ... ??

Glad to help :thumbsup:

Mtbrncofn
07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
No problem...did you read it yet ;D

No...grumble, grumble. This is what happened. We had this mini vacation scheduled with my inlaws. I got the libary call too late Wednesday night to go get it. We were leaving Thursday morning. It's a tiny town, the librarians like to sleep in...the library doesn't open til noon! We just got back last night and the damn place is closed on Mondays too.

I have to wait til tomorrow at noon to even go pick it up! Geez!

No1BroncoFan
07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Dagmar .... Keith Olbermann says Harry lives. It would be terrible for the new Potter movie box office (of the last book) if everybody knew that Harry was killed in the next book. He does think that Harry might lose all his powers though, in order to rid the scar (?) of the bad guy off his forehead ... ??

Glad to help :thumbsup:
Don't be so sure. Everyone knew the Titanic would sink, but that movie made a bundle! ;D

Ben

Cito Pelon
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
That's a fabulous book, BTW.

Agreed. "The Proud Tower" by Tuchman is an interesting read.

No1BroncoFan
07-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, the 21st has come and gone, and so has "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." Got my copy at about 1:15 am on the 21st and finished it about 5:30 this morning (22nd). Yes, the book kept me up all night. Absolutely couldn't put it down. There were a couple of slow spots and a couple predictable moments, but all in all an excellent read.

Many thanks to Madam Rowling for the years of entertainment she has provided in the Harry Potter series. I can hardly wait to see what she has for us next!

Ben

Florida_Bronco
07-22-2007, 10:52 PM
I just read Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney, it was a very exciting book that I recommend to anyone interested in military.

Billy Clyde Puckett
07-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Well, the 21st has come and gone, and so has "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." Got my copy at about 1:15 am on the 21st and finished it about 5:30 this morning (22nd). Yes, the book kept me up all night. Absolutely couldn't put it down. There were a couple of slow spots and a couple predictable moments, but all in all an excellent read.

Many thanks to Madam Rowling for the years of entertainment she has provided in the Harry Potter series. I can hardly wait to see what she has for us next!

Ben

My oldest daughter, wife and youngest daughter have al finished a single copy in 40 hours since they got home from purchasing it. all are thrilled.

broncolife
07-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeah I finished Harry Potter about an hour ago. Great book. If I had to describe it in two words it would be BLOOD BATH! When she said people were going to die she meant it.

Smiling Assassin27
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
The Unaborted Socrates by Peter Kreeft is genius.

Written in dialogue format, Socrates has philosophical conversations with an abortion doctor, a pro abort philosopher, and a moral relativist psychologist. Great application of Socratic method to the issue of abortion with subtle and not so subtle humor. Got it done in about 3-4 hours.

No1BroncoFan
07-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah I finished Harry Potter about an hour ago. Great book. If I had to describe it in two words it would be BLOOD BATH! When she said people were going to die she meant it.
I would go with "very dark." Blood bath implies a lack of story which is filled in by senseless killing where the deaths in "Deathly Hallows" are an integral part of the story line. Although I thought the ending a tad weak, the story on the whole is very strong. I blasted through the audio books in less than a week to prepare for the seventh book. Now that I've read it, I'm gonna go back and read the entire series again (actually read them). Once I'm done with that I should be able to pick a favorite.

If you haven't seen "Order of the Phoenix" yet, GO! It's definitely the best of the movies so far. Strange thing is, it was the weakest of the books. I guess that kinda makes sense. My favorite of the books (that have made it to the big screen) was "Prisoner of Azkaban" and that was certainly the worst of the five movies.

Ben

BroncoInferno
07-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Sure, if you consider a work loaded to the gills with straw man arguments and a priori assumptions, then Kreeft's work is as about as brilliant as it gets. It tells you all you need to know about Kreeft that he does not even bother to argue with a straw woman in his silly little book. Odd (and telling) omission, wouldn't you say?

Smiling Assassin27
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Sorry, you wouldn't know a straw man if it kicked you in the head. Have you read the book? If so, name a straw man. Considering he brings everything back to whether the fetus is a person or not, he's the ONLY one who has boiled the issue down rather than let the emotional cackling of folks like yourself rule the argument. It's typical for many to call names, call arguments idiotic, yet not deal with the actual argument at all.

TailgateNut
07-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Bushworld: Enter At Your Own Risk
New York Times Columnist Maureen Dowd Talks About Her New Book

I got this for Fathers Day from one of my sons who WAS a Bush supporter during his first term. The other one has always been wise;D

Buy "Bushworld"

The Bush Dynasty
With roots in Texas and Connecticut, and a couple of glam offshoots, here's the Bush family tree.

NEW YORK, Aug. 11, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS)

(CBS) While most politicians like making headlines, Democrats and Republicans generally dislike being the subject of Maureen Dowd's sharp commentary on the Op Ed page of the New York Times. Her new book, "Bushworld: Enter At Your Own Risk," is a compilation of columns about the current president and his father.

As The Early Show co-anchor Hannah Storm points out, Dowd has a penchant for nicknames. For instance, she sometimes refers to George H.W. Bush as "Old King" and his son, the current President Bush, as "Boy King." What sort of relationship did Dowd have with the elder Bush?

"He describes it is as a love/hate relationship, because he loved it when I would tweak the Clintons and hates it when I tweak the Bushes," says Dowd.

Storm says she psychoanalyzes the father-son relationship, citing a quote from the book: "W. avenged his dad, replaced his dad, made his dad proud and rebelled against his dad all with the same war." Dowd's diagnosis: They have "an Oedipal loop-de-loop.

What does that mean?

"In a way, it follows the hero myth of 'Star Wars,' with the president as Luke Skywalker, and he has the good father, his own dad, who believed in internationalism and the Atlantic alliance and doing things with the allies and coalitions. Then you have the bad, dark father, Darth Vader, which is Dick Cheney, and he sort of led the president down this gloomy, dark, paranoid path of unilateralism and sort of bullying the world. (This is) a very different attitude than the Bush family had had in its history."

So, Storm wanted to know, does Dowd think the current president intentionally turned his back on his father's internationalism and traditional alliances? Dowd calls this a teenage rebellion that was played out on the international stage.

"Right," replies Dowd. "Well, I mean, OK. Look at it this way. If you have a Republican president who goes to war against Saddam Hussein in Iraq, wouldn't he call the last Republican president who went to war in Iraq against Saddam Hussein? I mean, especially if it's his dad and his beloved dad?

"And the fact that he didn't even call his dad before he went back to finish his dad's war a different way just strikes me as amazing."

Does Dowd know for a fact that George W. Bush never consulted his father regarding the war in Iraq?

"I think the son didn't want to hear what the dad had to say, which was, 'Do you have an exit strategy?'"

Dowd writes: "In Bushworld, our troops go to war and get killed, but you never see the bodies go home. In Bushworld, we're making progress in the war on terror by fighting a world that creates terrorists." Pundits have said that Maureen Dowd is a liberal. Does she see herself that way?

"I think I'm an equal opportunity skeptic," she replies. "I used to tweak Clinton just as much."

She won a Pulitzer Prize for her columns on President Clinton's impeachment, and she says she does feel that whoever is in the White House is fair game. If John Kerry should become president, would Dowd have enough material?

"Well, I think Teresa is very promising," Dowd comments, "and I think…the White House…tends to be like a soundproof booth. And presidents go in promising certain things, like...no new taxes. But then they get in there and change."

Was she surprised to see Laura Bush speak out publicly against stem cell research?

"I think it's a huge mistake," says Dowd. "They drag Laura on to the campaign trail, because she had such high approval ratings and they needed that after the Iraq war.

"Laura is this fantastic, nice, 'Marian the librarian' type, curled up with a cat on her lap, reading Dostoevsky," continues Dowd. "Now she's dragged out to be a Republican attack dog on the most contentious issue…stem cell research, defending her husband's refusal to use more lines... Now she's pitted against Nancy Reagan, the sainted former first lady, and I don't think it's a good position for her."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN EXCERPT FROM BUSHWORLD: Enter At Your Own Risk

By Maureen Dowd

April 25, 2004

Adventures in an Alternate Reality

It's their reality. We just live and die in it.

In Bushworld, our troops go to war and get killed, but you never see the bodies coming home.

In Bushworld, flag-draped remains of the fallen are important to revere and show the nation, but only in political ads hawking the president's leadership against terror.

In Bushworld, we can create an exciting Iraqi democracy as long as it doesn't control its own military, pass any laws or have any power.

In Bushworld, we can win over Falluja by bulldozing it.

In Bushworld, it was worth going to war so Iraqis can express their feelings (''Down With America!'') without having their tongues cut out, although we cannot yet allow them to express intemperate feelings in newspapers (''Down With America!'') without shutting them down.

In Bushworld, it's fine to take $700 million that Congress provided for the war in Afghanistan
and 9/11 recovery and divert it to the war in Iraq that you're insisting you're not planning.

In Bushworld, you don't consult your father, the expert in being president during a war with Iraq, but you do talk to your Higher Father, who can't talk back to warn you to get an exit strategy or chide you for using Him for political purposes.

In Bushworld, it's O.K. to run for re-election as the avenger of 9/11, even as you make secret deals with the Arab kingdom where most of the 9/11 hijackers came from.

In Bushworld, you get to strut around like a tough military guy and paint your rival as a chicken hawk, even though he's the one who won medals in combat and was praised by his superior officers for fulfilling all his obligations.

In Bushworld, it makes sense to press for transparency in Mr. and Mrs. Rival while cultivating your own opacity.

In Bushworld, you can reign as the antiterror president even after hearing an intelligence report about Al Qaeda's plans to attack America and then stepping outside to clear brush.

In Bushworld, those who dissemble about the troops and money it will take to get Iraq on its feet are patriots, while those who are honest are patronizingly marginalized.

In Bushworld, they struggle to keep church and state separate in Iraq, even as they increasingly merge the two in America.

In Bushworld, you can claim to be the environmental president on Earth Day while being the industry president every other day.

In Bushworld, you brag about how well Afghanistan is going, even though soldiers like Pat Tillman are still dying and the Taliban are running freely around the border areas, hiding Osama and delaying elections.

In Bushworld, imperfect intelligence is good enough to knock over Iraq. But even better evidence that North Korea is building the weapons that Saddam could only dream about is hidden away.

In Bushworld, the CIA says it can't find out whether there are WMD in Iraq unless we invade on the grounds that there are WMD.

In Bushworld, there's no irony that so many who did so much to avoid the Vietnam draft have now strained the military so much that lawmakers are talking about bringing back the draft.

In Bushworld, we're making progress in the war on terror by fighting a war that creates terrorists.

In Bushworld, you don't need to bother asking your vice president and top Defense Department officials whether you should go to war in Iraq, because they've already maneuvered you into going to war.

In Bushworld, it's perfectly natural for the president and vice president to appear before the 9/11 commission like the Olsen twins.

In Bushworld, you expound on remaking the Middle East and spreading pro-American sentiments even as you expand anti-American sentiments by ineptly occupying Iraq and unstintingly backing Ariel Sharon on West Bank settlements.

In Bushworld, we went to war to give Iraq a democratic process, yet we disdain the democratic process that causes allies to pull out troops.

In Bushworld, you pride yourself on the fact that your administration does not leak to the press, while you flood the best-known journalist in Washington with inside information.

In Bushworld, you list Bob Woodward's Plan of Attack as recommended reading on your campaign Web site, even though it makes you seem divorced from reality. That is, unless you live in Bushworld.

BroncoInferno
07-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry, you wouldn't know a straw man if it kicked you in the head.

straw man
–noun- a fabricated or conveniently weak or innocuous person, object, matter, etc., used as a seeming adversary or argument

When you create fictional characters and carefully craft their responses to your questions in way that conveniently leads to your next planned question (and so on until the inevitable victory is achieved), that is text book straw man arguing. That is precisely what Kreeft does in his laughable little book. Hell, the method he uses coupled with his obvious bias makes it nearly impossible to avoid straw man arguments.

Have you read the book?

Yep. I like to understand opposing arguments rather than assuming charlatans like Kreeft are representing that side fairly.

If so, name a straw man.

Every charatcer in the book.

Considering he brings everything back to whether the fetus is a person or not, he's the ONLY one who has boiled the issue down rather than let the emotional cackling of folks like yourself rule the argument.

And here you display your ignorance of the pro-choice argument for all to see. If you'd familiarize with folks like Trefil and Morowitz you would get much more sophisicated pro-choice arguments on the nature of personhood than Kreeft presents. He doesn't bother with such arguments either out of sheer ignorance or else just plain ol' intellectual dishonesty.

It's typical for many to call names, call arguments idiotic, yet not deal with the actual argument at all.

Well, the responses his gives to the softball questions he lobs himself are fine. The problem is that the responses his fictional characters give are not reflective of any argument that an actual pro-choice individual of any intellectual standing would make. It is easy to win the debate when you make up arguments for the other side.

Again, I'd suggest you try Trefil and/or Morowitz as a start if you are interested in tackling the debate honestly.

epicSocialism4tw
07-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Written in dialogue format, Socrates has philosophical conversations with an abortion doctor, a pro abort philosopher, and a moral relativist psychologist. Great application of Socratic method to the issue of abortion with subtle and not so subtle humor. Got it done in about 3-4 hours.

Sounds interesting...I'll give it a shot.

Right now, I'm reading "Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin.

Smiling Assassin27
07-24-2007, 05:44 PM
When you create fictional characters and carefully craft their responses to your questions in way that conveniently leads to your next planned question (and so on until the inevitable victory is achieved), that is text book straw man arguing. That is precisely what Kreeft does in his laughable little book. Hell, the method he uses coupled with his obvious bias makes it nearly impossible to avoid straw man arguments.

The arguments are not misrepresented and so are not straw man arguments. Like you, I read what the other side likes to argue and Kreeft has not misrepresented them here. The 'carefully crafted responses' are not invented by Kreeft but are real arguments made to support the pro abortion stance. If you do not like the arguments, that is your choice but I've yet to see how they are misrepresented. Fictional characters don't essentially make their arguments straw men.

Every charatcer in the book.

So Socrates did not have a method which he used to analyze moral issues? If you think Kreeft applied the method wrong, then kindly show where. If he did not apply it wrong, then the character of Socrates is fictional in context but not a straw man.

And here you display your ignorance of the pro-choice argument for all to see. If you'd familiarize with folks like Trefil and Morowitz you would get much more sophisicated pro-choice arguments on the nature of personhood than Kreeft presents. He doesn't bother with such arguments either out of sheer ignorance or else just plain ol' intellectual dishonesty.

And if you'd familiarize yourself with Kreeft's REAL argument and guys like Francis Beckwith, you'd realize that personhood is not some legal concept relating to human rights as Trefil and Morowitz claim. It's the same stuff that Boonin argues, and to a lesser degree Thomson (though her stuff's a lot weaker,IMO). As for Kreeft, just because he did not address these issues in his tiny little book does not mean he does not understand them or that he's unable to refute them--that's an assumption on your part. Keep in mind that Kreeft is a philosopher and so approaches things on that level, not from a scientific standpoint. The thing about Trefil is that he's even admitted that before he did this research on embryonic development that he was fully pro choice, but actually took a more restrained position afterward, even claiming that the fetus' rights (after acquiring humanness in his own arbitrary definition) had to be weighed against the mother's.

Well, the responses his gives to the softball questions he lobs himself are fine. The problem is that the responses his fictional characters give are not reflective of any argument that an actual pro-choice individual of any intellectual standing would make. It is easy to win the debate when you make up arguments for the other side.

The real question is are his character's answers TRUE. Granted, there is a controlled laboratory to work this dialogue in but the book is not meant to be an exhaustive issues debate. It's meant to apply certain Socratic methods to the abortion question and that's all. From that standpoint, I agree with you that he did 'fine'.

Again, I'd suggest you try Trefil and/or Morowitz as a start if you are interested in tackling the debate honestly.

I appreciate the advice. I've looked into both. The issues of 'potential life', 'parthenogenesis', and 'blue print, not the building' are interesting but really have some holes and philosophical/logical leaps that make those position untenable imo. At any rate, I thought it was a cleverly written book that addresses the bottom floor of the abortion debate in an unconventional way.

broncolife
07-24-2007, 08:55 PM
I would go with "very dark." Blood bath implies a lack of story which is filled in by senseless killing where the deaths in "Deathly Hallows" are an integral part of the story line. Although I thought the ending a tad weak, the story on the whole is very strong. I blasted through the audio books in less than a week to prepare for the seventh book. Now that I've read it, I'm gonna go back and read the entire series again (actually read them). Once I'm done with that I should be able to pick a favorite.

If you haven't seen "Order of the Phoenix" yet, GO! It's definitely the best of the movies so far. Strange thing is, it was the weakest of the books. I guess that kinda makes sense. My favorite of the books (that have made it to the big screen) was "Prisoner of Azkaban" and that was certainly the worst of the five movies.

Ben
***SPOILERS***** mostly for the Order of the phoenix movie but a few minor ones for Harry Potter 7.

I said blood bath because she was knocking off so many characters. Plus over 50 namless people died at the end. I thought the last chapter should had been longer, she didnt explain what happend to the rest of the characters and it all seemed kind of cheesy.I did like the kids name though A.S.P. I also would have liked Ginny and Luna to have had bigger roles. But the book was great. I went and reread(listen to 5 and 6) all the books right before the 7th book came out. Plus watched all the movies again. I did go see Order of the Phoenix. I was disappointed. It was good, but I thought it was to choppy and rushed. It really needed to be 3 hours to be great.Plus I really didnt like the fight scene at the end. I hated the deatheater fight with them flying around in clouds of smoke. At the time I had no idea were they got that crap from. But you find out in book seven and even then there is only two people who can do it.Plus Dumbledore fight needed to be longer and there needed to be a better explanation of the prophecy.Thought Cho changs kiss was to long and didnt like her being the betrayer. I was really disapointed in Snapes flashback. After seeing it I was ready to give up on my theory of him and Lily. Anyways Im sad there isnt going to be anymore Harry Potter. It would nice if she started another series with Ted, asp or anyone really. Just having it in the same world would be nice.Kind of like the star treks.

For the people who like to read backwards
***SPOILERS***** mostly for the Order of the phoenix movie but a few minor ones for Harry Potter 7

No1BroncoFan
07-25-2007, 08:48 PM
***SPOILERS***** mostly for the Order of the phoenix movie but a few minor ones for Harry Potter 7.

I said blood bath because she was knocking off so many characters. Plus over 50 namless people died at the end. I thought the last chapter should had been longer, she didnt explain what happend to the rest of the characters and it all seemed kind of cheesy.I did like the kids name though A.S.P. I also would have liked Ginny and Luna to have had bigger roles. But the book was great. I went and reread(listen to 5 and 6) all the books right before the 7th book came out. Plus watched all the movies again. I did go see Order of the Phoenix. I was disappointed. It was good, but I thought it was to choppy and rushed. It really needed to be 3 hours to be great.Plus I really didnt like the fight scene at the end. I hated the deatheater fight with them flying around in clouds of smoke. At the time I had no idea were they got that crap from. But you find out in book seven and even then there is only two people who can do it.Plus Dumbledore fight needed to be longer and there needed to be a better explanation of the prophecy.Thought Cho changs kiss was to long and didnt like her being the betrayer. I was really disapointed in Snapes flashback. After seeing it I was ready to give up on my theory of him and Lily. Anyways Im sad there isnt going to be anymore Harry Potter. It would nice if she started another series with Ted, asp or anyone really. Just having it in the same world would be nice.Kind of like the star treks.

For the people who like to read backwards
***SPOILERS***** mostly for the Order of the phoenix movie but a few minor ones for Harry Potter 7
I have to disagree. I've never found a series of books that was a spin-off from another series that was worth a damn. It works for television, especially the Star Trek universe where the five series cover 300+ years, but I've never seen it work for books. I'm looking forward to the next J.K. Rowling series, but I really hope it's something fresh.

I also have to disagree with Potter 5. Rowling really didn't handle the whole Harry/Cho thing well at all, just letting it fade/fizzle (more like Harry forgot he had a girlfriend). Setting her up as the betrayer of the DA handles that situation better and eliminates 15 minutes of film time for of background work for a minor character. Granted, one of the strengths of Rowlings work is the way she uses minor characters, but Hollywood doesn't have time to develop minor characters for feature films. Really, OOTP did the best job of maintaining the story and eliminating the things that wouldn't play well on the big screen. Sure there were problems with it, but you'll never see a novel made into a book and not see differences. Usually glaring differences that completely ruin the enjoyment factor if you've read the book. I think the biggest adaptation challenges are still ahead of them in 6 and 7. "Half-Blood Prince" could be very good or very bad but my expectations for "Deathly Hallows" are very low. There is so little they can afford to cut out and leave the story intact that unless they make it 3-4 hours long it's probably gonna suck.

Ben

CAF
07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
i read the scarlet letter and hated it

alkemical
07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Were you forced to? I know that's the only reason i did - lol

No1BroncoFan
08-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I am stoked! I just got the Harry Potter audio books read by Stephen Fry. These are the UK versions of the books and I've been wanting to know what the differences are for a looooooooong time.

Anyone else here ever read anything by Steven Gould?

Ben

Sassy
08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
The Husband...by Dean Koontz.

mosca
08-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Anyone read Tony Dungy's Quiet Strength? It looks like it could be a great inspirational book. Just wondering how much of the book is Christian-focused, and how well I would enjoy it, being a non-Christian.

Orange_Beard
08-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I have been reading "The Summer He didn't Die" by Jim Harrison.
Great read.

No1BroncoFan
08-22-2007, 08:15 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised by the Artemis Fowl books (at least so far). I checked out the first one on a whim and the second one because the first was so good. I've got the third, fourth and fifth on hold now. ;D

Ben

BroncoInferno
09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YGWrMVyML._AA240_.jpg

No1BroncoFan
10-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm nearly done with the Artemis Fowl books (at least those that have been published so far) and have been comletely entertained. Anyone who likes well written "kid" books and can withstand somer mildly juvinile fart humor should give them a go. Next up is the "His Dark Materials" series by Philip Pullman, starting with "The Golden Compass." After that I'm back to the "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. I've read the first three (out of 11, so far) and while it's not the best fantasy fiction I've ever read, it's been but good enough (so far) to keep my interest.

Ben

dbfan4life
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
The Husband...by Dean Koontz.

I've read 3 by Koontz recently. Door to December, Lightning, and Velocity.

No1BroncoFan
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I've read 3 by Koontz recently. Door to December, Lightning, and Velocity.

"Lightening" and "Velocity" were both great books, but I thought "Life Expectancy" was even better.

I just placed holds on the first two "Frankenstein" audio books. The rave reviews here on the Mane made me do it. :)

Ben

Dagmar
10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
"Lightening" and "Velocity" were both great books, but I thought "Life Expectancy" was even better.

I just placed holds on the first two "Frankenstein" audio books. The rave reviews here on the Mane made me do it. :)

Ben

We have people coming into the bookstore I work in asking for the 3rd ALL the time. He hasn't written it yet and no one knows when. Just a heads up!

No1BroncoFan
10-12-2007, 08:02 PM
We have people coming into the bookstore I work in asking for the 3rd ALL the time. He hasn't written it yet and no one knows when. Just a heads up!
It's all good. I've been waiting for the third part of Melanie Rawn's "Exiles" series, "The Captal's Tower" since 1997. According to http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk it's not due out until 2009. There's lots of good fiction out there so I can wait.

Ben

No1BroncoFan
10-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Just finished "The Amber Spyglass" (part 3 of "His Dark Materials) and was absolutely blown away! That series is one of the top five works of fiction I've read in the last decade. Now, if they'll just do them justice in Hollywood. "The Golden Compass" is due out in Dec. but I've got this terrible feeling that they're going to do a composite of all three books and that never works.

Ben

Requiem
10-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Where's Waldo was ****in' fantastic. Got it from my niece.

SoCalBronco
10-30-2007, 03:50 AM
Currently reading Conrad Black's Richard M. Nixon: A Life in Full and it is excellent, remarkably well balanced and very thorough. A great addition to the scholarship in this area, right up there at the top alongside Stephen Ambrose's super 3 volume series.

No1BroncoFan
11-04-2007, 04:55 AM
Well, I just got back from a visit to the internet movie database and I found out that "The Golden Compass" is not going to be a composite of the three books (part 2 of the series "The Subtle Knife" is due out in 2009). I am now officially pumped to go see this one! Anyone else looking forward to it?

I'm just finishing up (actually reading, not the audio books) "Regeneration" by Julie Czerneda. It's the third part of her "Species Imperitive" series and all three are very good Sci-Fi.

"The Sword of Truth" series stagnates a bit with the fourth book. I'm hoping it'll pick up again but I've taken another break from it to do "The Sword of Shannara" by Terry Brooks and "Blaze" by Richard Bachman (Stephen King). "The Sword of Shannara" started out very derivitive (basically "The Fellowship of the Rings" without a ring and with different character names) but got much better as the story moved on. "Blaze" is simply a great read (or listen this time through).

Ben

want2bAbronco2
11-15-2007, 10:42 PM
anyone read any of these? riend is selling a bunch, and I want to pick up some. any reviews would be nice....need to see if i want to read them/ what order!

The Gunslinger series by Stephen King

The Icewind Dale Trilogy

The dragon Riders of Pern series (8 books)by Anne McCaffery

The Elf Stones of Shanhara series (6 books) by Terry Brooks

The Dragon and the George/THe Dragon on the Border by Gordon Dickson.

Also the Wheels of Time series....Anyone read all of them, how are they?

thanks!

alkemical
11-16-2007, 01:17 AM
anyone read any of these? riend is selling a bunch, and I want to pick up some. any reviews would be nice....need to see if i want to read them/ what order!

The Icewind Dale Trilogy

The Dragon and the George/THe Dragon on the Border by Gordon *****on.

thanks!

I sorta liked the gunslinger series by king - the book 'insomnia' i believe had a wierd tie in to it as well

No1BroncoFan
11-16-2007, 09:42 PM

The Icewind Dale Trilogy

The Dragon and the George/THe Dragon on the Border by Gordon *****on.

thanks!
"The Gunslinger" is the first book in the "Dark Tower" series and the series is awesome. There are several other books that tie in, "Insomnia," "The Eyes of the Dragon," and "The Stand" are just three of them (if you want a complete list, let me know).

I haven't read the "Icewind Dale" books, but I've yet to see anything based on a video game that was ever really good.

There are over 20 Pern books. The original Pern storyline is extremely good and very much worth the time to read while the others are hit and miss. The ones you reall need to read are, "Dragonflight "Dragonquest" "The White Dragon" "All the Weyrs of Pern." All the other Pern novels revolve around these four.

The original Shanhara series is only three books. "The Sword of Shannara," "The Elfstones of Shannara," and "The Wishsong of Shannara." The others are additional to the original trilogy. I've read "The Sword of Shannara" and found it to be good, but not all that.

I haven't even heard of the next two you mention. I'll have to check them out.

Don't bother with "The Wheel of Time." They're dry and slow paced and so blatently derivative that Robert Jordan should be paying royalties to other authors.

Of all the books listed, I would read "The Dark Tower" first. One of the best surrealistic fantasy series ever written. In fact, I'm currently going through the series again on audio book. This will make my third complete reading (twice in print, once in audio) and I've read "The Gunslinger" more times than I can remeber.

On another note. I recently read "Stardust" (the one they based the movie on) and it was totally, completely, wonderfully awesome. I haven't deen the movie yet, but if it's one-fourth as good as the book it's gonna be good.

Up next (in print) is "The Spiderwick Chronicles." I've heard good things, so I figured I'd give 'em a shot.

Ben

AlphaOmega
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Pensees by Blaise Pascal and
Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards! ^5

want2bAbronco2
11-17-2007, 12:28 AM
"The Gunslinger" is the first book in the "Dark Tower" series and the series is awesome. There are several other books that tie in, "Insomnia," "The Eyes of the Dragon," and "The Stand" are just three of them (if you want a complete list, let me know).

There are over 20 Pern books. The original Pern storyline is extremely good and very much worth the time to read while the others are hit and miss. The ones you reall need to read are, "Dragonflight "Dragonquest" "The White Dragon" "All the Weyrs of Pern." All the other Pern novels revolve around these four.

The original Shanhara series is only three books. "The Sword of Shannara," "The Elfstones of Shannara," and "The Wishsong of Shannara." The others are additional to the original trilogy. I've read "The Sword of Shannara" and found it to be good, but not all that.

Don't bother with "The Wheel of Time." They're dry and slow paced and so blatently derivative that Robert Jordan should be paying royalties to other authors.

That would be great if you can give me a list of all the books (Dark Tower). A friend at work is selling a ton of books to the lib. so I get first pick of them. I haven't heard of a lot of them, so I figured I would ask. I just started the Shanhara series, have heard good things about it. Friend said the Pern series was really good in some books and kinda odd in others. Thats what I was worried about with "wheels of time" have heard sooooo many people say good things about them, but have had just as many say they are so dry and slow. (good thing I held off on that series!)

Any other recommendations? I love mid evil fantasy and star wars/mass effect type books.

No1BroncoFan
11-18-2007, 12:10 AM
That would be great if you can give me a list of all the books (Dark Tower). A friend at work is selling a ton of books to the lib. so I get first pick of them. I haven't heard of a lot of them, so I figured I would ask. I just started the Shanhara series, have heard good things about it. Friend said the Pern series was really good in some books and kinda odd in others. Thats what I was worried about with "wheels of time" have heard sooooo many people say good things about them, but have had just as many say they are so dry and slow. (good thing I held off on that series!)

Any other recommendations? I love mid evil fantasy and star wars/mass effect type books.
Some recommendations from someone who can never get enough sci-fi/fantasy:

C.J. Cherryh. Anything she's ever written but especially the "Chanur" series, the "Foreigner" series the "Faded Sun" series and the "Fortress" series. She writes both fantasy and sci-fi and is one of only a handful of authors that does both very well.

"His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman. This series starts with "The Golden Compass" and is excellent.

Harry Potter (if you haven't already).

"Eternity Road" and "Ancient Shores" (or anything else) by Jack McDevitt.

"The Postman" by David Brin

"Expendable" by James Allen Gardner. He's written a bunch of loosely related books so start with this one. It's not that they're in any order or dependant on each other but thyis one was first and explains all the terminology (like "going 'Oh Sh*t'") in the books the best.

I'll PM you a complete list of the "Dark Tower" books and all of the tie-ins.

Ben

Sassy
11-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I've been reading the "feel good" Christmas books that come out every year.
"Comfort and Joy" by Fern Michaels, etc. is my most recent. (Short stories with a couple of other authors). You guys might not appreciate that one though! ;D

want2bAbronco2
11-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Ill have to check some of them out, thanks ben!

No1BroncoFan
12-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I just got back from seeing "The Golden Compass." If you haven't read the books, you're gonna love it. If you've read them, it still very, very good. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

I recently read "The Spiderwick Chronicles" (yes, I know they are for children only, unlike most kids books these days) and while the story was simplistic it is a very good story. I'm really looking forward to the movie (saw the trailer at "Golden Compass"). The movie looks like it's targeting an older crowd than the books.

Since I'm discussing movies made from books, don't bother with "Stardust" if you've read the book. They got most of the names right, but that's about it. In fact, if I were the author, I'd sue for defamation of characters. ;D I'd guess that if you never read the book, you'll probably like the movie but it's one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen.

Ben

Orange_Beard
12-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I just finished,
Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life: Books: Steve Martin by Steve Martin.

Quick read, really enjoyed it, I would say it would be a great gift for anyone who grew up watching Steve Martin.

Dagmar
12-17-2007, 07:52 PM
I got a pre-release of that in august. Great read.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/031286504X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

http://www.randomhouse.ca/images/dyn/cover/?source=9780307356284&height=300&maxwidth=170

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/188896314X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza...

very good read.

Orange_Beard
12-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Could not put it down.

Rohirrim
01-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Could not put it down.

Me too. It was so good, I'm going to start a thread about it.

Hotrod
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Stand-Observations-Freethinking-Roughneck/dp/0345499336/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

Sassy
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I just picked up TRUMP: "Think Big And Kick Ass" ... Is it worth reading?
I got it at the library so no big deal if it's crap...

smalltowngrll
02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Just started Pillars of the Earth.

So far, I'm loving it.

Sassy
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Just started "The 6th Target" by James Patterson.

No1BroncoFan
03-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Just started "The 6th Target" by James Patterson.

Let us know if that one's any good. I've read one or two by Patterson and enjoyed them.

Recent reads:
"Exiles: The Ruins of Ambrai" by Malanie Rawn (this was a re-read and I forgot what a great fantasy this one is).
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick (the novel which gave inspiration to the film "Blade Runner").
"A Painted House", "The Last Juror" and "The Broker" by John Grisham (does that man write anything that isn't good).

In the Queue:
"His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman (again ;D).
"Cauldron" by Jack McDevitt
"Duma Key" by Stephen King
"Exiles: The Mageborn Traitor" by Melanie Rawn.

Ben

cbs1177
03-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Terry Goodkind just finished his sword of truth series and it is good over all. the middle couple of books are tangents. But thank goodness he lived to wrap it all up. I have reread the first three books four times. I just finished the last two books on vacation. I really like.

No1BroncoFan
03-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Terry Goodkind just finished his sword of truth series and it is good over all. the middle couple of books are tangents. But thank goodness he lived to wrap it all up. I have reread the first three books four times. I just finished the last two books on vacation. I really like.

He lost me with the fourth book. He can't seem to come up with an original plot and keeps re-treading the some one over and over with different bad guys and different, but not really original, settings. Seriously, if they get better I'll give 'em another go but I can't stand to read the same thing over and over and over ad infinitum.

Ben

cbs1177
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
He lost me with the fourth book. He can't seem to come up with an original plot and keeps re-treading the some one over and over with different bad guys and different, but not really original, settings. Seriously, if they get better I'll give 'em another go but I can't stand to read the same thing over and over and over ad infinitum.

Ben

He did get crazy with the middle books. I liked faith of the fallen it was kind of atlas shrugged type book. and the last two are good. He wrapped it up good. So it is worth it to me to suffer thru some of those books in the middle or even just get some cliff notes version b/c not too much during those books really makes that much of a difference on the last few books. Just some key players and all.

Also more of a fantasy-- out of space series is The saga of the seven suns. by kevin anderson. It is a lot easier to read then the sword of truth series. They are a fun read. I recently order the last two books that came out of that series to read.

loborugger
03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I just finished the first book in the Flashman series, oddly enough named Flashman. Its an older book, written in 69, but its still a goodie. Its the tail of a young scoundrel who joins the Royal Army in the 1840s and thru acts of cowardice, self-preservation, treachery, and sheer luck manages to participate in some of the greatest battles of humanity and lives to tell a dashing story of bravery (while all the witnesses to truth conveniently expire). Its pretty entertaining. While he is fictional, the events he is placed in a very real. I am a big history buff, and I recommend it to any other history buffs.

alkemical
03-12-2008, 09:26 AM
The Book of Law - A.C

Orange_Beard
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I just finished the first book in the Flashman series, oddly enough named Flashman. Its an older book, written in 69, but its still a goodie. Its the tail of a young scoundrel who joins the Royal Army in the 1840s and thru acts of cowardice, self-preservation, treachery, and sheer luck manages to participate in some of the greatest battles of humanity and lives to tell a dashing story of bravery (while all the witnesses to truth conveniently expire). Its pretty entertaining. While he is fictional, the events he is placed in a very real. I am a big history buff, and I recommend it to any other history buffs.

funny, this book is sitting next to my bed, it's the next one up.

loborugger
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Its good stuff, Orange.

I got the next 3 books in the series coming via Amazon.

Sassy
03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Anyone read John Grisham Playing for Pizza?

No1BroncoFan
04-17-2008, 07:25 PM

I've got it on hold at the Library. I'll try to remember to post up here when I'm done with it.

Ben

Dagmar
04-18-2008, 01:15 AM

I work in a book store, most people found it to be pretty trite and unbelievable. I have a customer who reads all of his stuff the day it comes out but couldn't get through it.

I disclaim, I have not read it.

Dagmar
04-18-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.nassaulibrary.org/YABookLog/THE%20INVENTION%20OF%20HUGO%20CABRET%20Jacket%20Co ver.jpg

cbs1177
04-18-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.wwnorton.com/cover/031755.jpg

It is a good book for those who love history and asked questions such as why did europe invade the americas and not the other way around. It was a thought provoking book and not really that hard of a research type book to read. His other book collapse was not as great but still good enough to enterain by reading it.

cbs1177
04-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Reading:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zYE5vt7mL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Again for a history lover. It has got it all.. Catherine's constant sexual appetite and her power plays. Great read to see how she got to where she did and what she did with her power.

theAPAOps5
04-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Shad I didn't realize you were such a history buff. I am going to check both those books out.

loborugger
04-25-2008, 10:00 PM

It is a good book for those who love history and asked questions such as why did europe invade the americas and not the other way around. It was a thought provoking book and not really that hard of a research type book to read. His other book collapse was not as great but still good enough to enterain by reading it.

For why the Europeans invaded the Americas and not vica versa I found that Carnage and Culture was a very good read and was packed with PC BS.

Dagmar
04-25-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.history.ucla.edu/bookcover/Howe_What_Hath_God_Wrought.jpg/image_preview

loborugger
04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Reading:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zYE5vt7mL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Again for a history lover. It has got it all.. Catherine's constant sexual appetite and her power plays. Great read to see how she got to where she did and what she did with her power.

So, where does the author of this text stand on Catherine and horses? Did she, or didnt she?

cbs1177
04-26-2008, 11:10 PM
So, where does the author of this text stand on Catherine and horses? Did she, or didnt she?

the busy season right now so I am not devouring the book as fast as I normally would only at the beginning of her reign.

loborugger
04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
the busy season right now so I am not devouring the book as fast as I normally would only at the beginning of her reign.

Gotcha. Well I had heard it was a myth, but I am curious to hear what your author says. If you dont mind, let me know what the author said when you finished the book.

Los Broncos
05-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Little Blues book by Brian Robertson...

Sassy
05-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline and Santa Fe Dead by Stuart Woods.
(On CD on the way out to Montana...I love books on CD!)
Hey...if you guys have a long road trip...the Stuart Woods book on cd is 9 hours long!)

REB
06-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Just finished reading...

http://www.intelliot.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/the-revolution-a-manifesto-ron-paul.jpg

Very good read.

cbs1177
06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Was listening to NPR radio on the commute and had a segment on books and recently bought three books from amazon.

Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain, Australia and France....1942

Fun little books. So much poetry and it is cliff notes on how to act in the foreign country. It takes only ten minutes to read and so full of history and the books always encourage to put aside difference and not let hilter machine work its stuff.

easy summer read but yet so informational and histroic

loborugger
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Just finished reading...

http://www.intelliot.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/the-revolution-a-manifesto-ron-paul.jpg

Very good read.

Nice! I just ordered that on Amazon and am awaiting its arrival.

REB
06-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Just got 3 more books in from Amazon. Just started reading...

http://archive.glennbeck.com/news/images/pbdorbook.jpg

also received...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FQncWGceL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

and...(which is recommended by Ron Paul)

http://www.ruwart.com/images/HOWcover2.jpg

Los Broncos
06-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Encyclopedia of the Blues by Gerard Herzhaft

bfoflcommish
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Just started reading it this morning

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H%2BQQSMjLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Old Dude
06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer.

Okay, let me put it this way. If you like PG rated teen romance novels, with a little touch of emo, then this is for you.

If you're looking for a ripping yarn about bloodsucking otherworldly terrors, then you should know that no one gets cacked in this book for the first 350 pages, and even then it happens offstage.

No1BroncoFan
09-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I finally read it and found it to be one of his most entertaining book. The guy definitely like football (American rules, see also: "Bleachers") and Italy.

Ben

BroncoInferno
09-23-2008, 06:28 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZZPW2KQCL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-bottom,BottomLeft,25,43_SH20_OU01_.jpg

R.I.P DFW

lazarus4444
10-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Do people still read during the football season? I know i don't, just football stuff :D

Taco John
01-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Bumping this thread...

I'm currently reading Ernest Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

Good book.

I just finished Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash." I liked it, but was disappointed with the ending.

TDmvp
01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Bill Hicks- What your reading for? (nsfw)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uvs2g5Nj0NI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uvs2g5Nj0NI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Somehow seemed on topic ...

DivineLegion
01-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Both the Emperor and Conquerer series by Conn Igulden. They are both historical fictions Emperor follows Julius Caesar, and Conquerer follows Genghis Khan.

BroncoBuff
01-19-2009, 11:13 PM

GGS is an good book, but I prefer Diamond's earlier "The Third Chimpanzee."

Just read "The Biology of Belief" by Joseph Giovannoli. (http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Belief-Biases-Beliefs-Perceptions/dp/0970813716) It's about the brain, specifically how it's structure (the primitive amygdala vs. the more evolved prefrontal lobes) makes us biologically susceptible to suspicion/myth/religious beliefs, how these beliefs have influenced (and sometimes warped) societies, and how the future of mankind - in an era of resource-depletion - might be dependent on amending our susceptibility to such myths. If you fancy yourself religious, or you are ego-involved in any non-scientific belief system, this will be too irritating for you, but if you're intellectually open to a rigidly scientific dismissal of any and all suspicions/myths/religions, it is quite illuminating. I can honestly say it's changed the way I think of mankind in a fundamental way.

Two thumbs up! :thumbs: :thumbs:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412S7VNJDVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Belief-Biases-Beliefs-Perceptions/dp/0970813716)

rovolution
01-19-2009, 11:15 PM
The Game by Neil Strauss. Highly inspirational book.

SouthStndJunkie
01-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Anyone read 'River of Doubt' by Candice Millard?

It is about Teddy Roosevelt's journey to explore and map Brazil's River of Doubt in 1913-1914.

Great book.

BroncoBuff
01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
GGS is an good book, but I prefer Diamond's earlier "The Third Chimpanzee."

Just read "The Biology of Belief" by Joseph Giovannoli. (http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Belief-Biases-Beliefs-Perceptions/dp/0970813716) It's about the brain, specifically how it's structure (the primitive amygdala vs. the more evolved prefrontal lobes) makes us biologically susceptible to suspicion/myth/religious beliefs, how these beliefs have influenced (and sometimes warped) societies, and how the future of mankind - in an era of resource-depletion - might be dependent on amending our susceptibility to such myths. If you fancy yourself religious, or you are ego-involved in any non-scientific belief system, this will be too irritating for you, but if you're intellectually open to a rigidly scientific dismissal of any and all suspicions/myths/religions, it is quite illuminating. I can honestly say it's changed the way I think of mankind in a fundamental way.

Two thumbs up! :thumbs: :thumbs:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412S7VNJDVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Belief-Biases-Beliefs-Perceptions/dp/0970813716)

Next I'm gonna read a book I skipped in college and it's always bugged me: "Gravity's Rainbow." Anybody have a thumbnail on it for me?

dbfan21
01-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Interesting thread. I'm not sure why I never noticed it before. Anyway, over the last year, I have read five books. If you really knew me, you'd know that is more than I have ever read in one single year. Usually you had to read 3 or 4 in high school, but I usually bought the cliff notes and fudged my way through the reports and tests.

Here are the books I have read lately:

The Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

The Shack by William P. Young

Crazy Love by Francis Chan

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Each of the books has had a profound impact on the way I think and live life. I love all of these books and consider them all worthy of reading. However, if I had to strongly recommend a couple of these books to you, I would say start with Blue Like Jazz. The subtitle to the book is: Non-Religious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality. Don used this subtitle becuase he shares his thoughts about how churches as a whole have missed the essence of Christ's purpose on this Earth. He shares his experiences traveling across the country, interacting with all sorts of people - athiests, agnostics and Christians. What's so neat about this book is that Don doesn't speak with arrogance, but with a sincerity and authenticity that is very appealing.

The other book that I recommend is The Shack. It's a fictional book about a man's spiritual journey after he experiences a traumatic event in his life. The book is especially powerful for parents, but anyone else would find it very inspirational as well. BTW, I am a father of two young children. I will forewarn you that the first 90 pages will be difficult to get through (this is where the main character goes through his "traumatic event"). I admit, I cried a couple times while reading the book. It was very hard to put this book down because it sucks you right in, but left me on an emotional high. I am sure many other opinions will vary, but I thought the theme of the book was one of redemption, forgiveness and unconditional love.

Hope this interests people enough to go out and buy/borrow these two books (or any of the others for that matter).

Sir_Robin
01-20-2009, 07:07 AM
In the last week I read :

Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler
The Shack by William Young
Dark of the Moon by John Sandford
Julius Winsome by Gerard Donovan

Arctic Drift and Dark of the Moon were pretty standard, entertaining fiction. The
Previous poster mentioned the shack - I too found it inspirational.

Julius Winsome reminded me of No Country For Old Men. An interesting, if disturbing story.

alkemical
01-20-2009, 07:34 AM
The watchmen by Alan Moore

The Invisibles by Grant Morrison

Supernatural Grahm Hitchcock

Re-read Holographic universe - MIchael Talbot

MagicHef
01-20-2009, 08:12 AM
The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul - Douglas Adams

Slapstick - Kurt Vonnegut

Currently reading:

John Adams - David McCullough

alkemical
01-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Dark tea time of the soul is one of my favs.

epicSocialism4tw
01-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Just finished up some Kafka.

It was the first time I read Metamorphosis.

Brilliant in the juxtaposition of social convention, tragedy, and a look into the psychological complexity of the deevolution of the mind. Dude has a measured, layered approach.

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Supernatural Grahm Hitchcock

I think you mean Graham HANCOCK.

I loved his "Fingerprints of the Gods," I've been a Giza fanatic ever since I read it in about 1995 ... Giza is 100% completely inexplicable. Maybe the only real mystery on Earth. Taco John likes Hancock too.

Jens1893
01-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Whole Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, Boys Will Be Boys by Jeff Pearlman

Currently reading

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n11/n59864.jpg

brncs_fan
01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
A Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Long but very very good.

alkemical
01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I think you mean Graham HANCOCK.

I loved his "Fingerprints of the Gods," I've been a Giza fanatic ever since I read it in about 1995 ... Giza is 100% completely inexplicable. Maybe the only real mystery on Earth. Taco John likes Hancock too.

Sorry, my bad. I've been a fan of his since i got exposed to him via disinfo.

GoHAM
01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I am currently trying to knock out all the Hugo and Nebula Award winning novels. I have been randomly reading these books off and on for the past 15 years, and always found them excellent and very thought provoking, so a couple of months ago I decided to read them all. So far I haven't been disappointed by any of them.

The most recent ones I've read:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear
Camouflage by Joe Haldeman
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin
Startide Rising by David Brin

Currently reading:

Seeker by Jack McDevitt

On Deck: (but not Hugo or Nebula award winners)

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
The Gripping Hand by Niven and Pournelle (Mote's Sequel)
Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

I'd also like to highly recommend any book by Vernor Vinge but especially A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky, he really comes up with some intriguing ideas.

Old Dude
01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
The Terror, by Dan Simmons. Fabulous book. One of the most entertaining I've ever read.

Man with the Golden Torq by Simon Green - - hilarious and fun.

HooptyHoops
01-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Whole Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, Boys Will Be Boys by Jeff Pearlman

Currently reading

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n11/n59864.jpg

Yep, I just finished Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn...loved it and highly recommend it!!

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Sorry, my bad. I've been a fan of his since i got exposed to him via disinfo.

You would really like "Fingerprints of the Gods." You gotta have an open mind for this one, and that's one of your assets. He updates the Thor Heyerdahl-Atlantis // Africa-South America connection by linking the pyramids, legends and technology from both continents ... and forms the thesis that Antarctica IS Atlantis. Not the cold Antartctica, but back when it was further north. He concludes that the movement of these land masses was caused by "earth crust displacement," which is much harder to swallow ... and probably why you saw him on a DisInfo site.

I really loved his lengthy and pointed detailing of the Giza structures ... beyond fascinating, and impossible to explain. Khufu has 2,300,000 blocks of limestone and granite - averaging 2.5 tons each, perfectly placed to 481 feet tall (tallest structure in the world 'til the Eiffel Tower), and built with better precision than today's office buildings - the four sides of the base of the differ from longest to shortest by maximum 9 inches out of 756 feet each. Astonishing.

Jens1893
01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Yep, I just finished Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn...loved it and highly recommend it!!

Did you read the other ones also?

AbileneBroncoFan
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Best things I've read:

Existentialism is a Humanism by Jean-Paul Sartre
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
and of course the Harry Potters

Currently Reading:
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku
Physics for Future Presidents by Richard Muller

Want to read:
The Sickness Unto Death by Soren Kierkegaard
Utopia by Thomas More
A Discourse on Inequality by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Candide by Voltaire
and several others

Everyone should read about Existentialism, but with an open mind. I know a lot of people that immediately associate it with atheism or hopelessness, but that's not what it's about (for me anyway). It's about the freedom of choice, the freedom to be whatever you choose to be. I want to read Candide because it makes fun of the philosophy of fatalism that I dislike so much.

Monte Cristo and Two Cities are simply outstanding books that everyone should read. Where the Red Fern Grows was my childhood fav with Charlotte's Web. I still remember my 2nd and 3rd grade teachers reading them to the class.

Everyone should read Audacity of Hope and Physics for Future Presidents. Hope gives you an insight to President Obama (before he was president) and shows you how smart he really is, and details his perspective on the issues. Physics dispells myths about things from a nuclear terrorist attack to global warming, offering scientific evidence for whether things are overhyped or underhyped.

alkemical
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
You would really like "Fingerprints of the Gods." You gotta have an open mind for this one, and that's one of your assets. He updates the Thor Heyerdahl-Atlantis // Africa-South America connection by linking the pyramids, legends and technology from both continents ... and forms the thesis that Antarctica IS Atlantis. Not the cold Antartctica, but back when it was further north. He concludes that the movement of these land masses was caused by "earth crust displacement," which is much harder to swallow ... and probably why you saw him on a DisInfo site.

I really loved his lengthy and pointed detailing of the Giza structures ... beyond fascinating, and impossible to explain. Khufu has 2,300,000 blocks of limestone and granite - averaging 2.5 tons each, perfectly placed to 481 feet tall (tallest structure in the world 'til the Eiffel Tower), and built with better precision than today's office buildings - the four sides of the base of the differ from longest to shortest by maximum 9 inches out of 756 feet each. Astonishing.

Oh i know...

PS, It's disinfo (http://www.disinfo.com/content/) - it's not a disinfo site..so to speak.... Where do you think i got launched to find so many crazy articles in my odditorium? ;)

infact, one of his books was done by disinfo:

http://www.disinfo.com/catalog/itemdetail.php?id=272

footstepsfrom#27
01-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Just started on this one after seeing the stage play:

http://archive.salon.com/books/review/2001/03/26/mcwhorter/story.jpg

Pulitzer Prize winning author Diane McWhorten has written one of the best books ever produced on the American civil rights movement. Twenty years in research, McWhorten, who is now a columnist for the New York Times, writes from the perspective of a white and priviledged teenager growing up in Birmingham Alabama during the hey day of the Ku Klux Klan and the 1963 Birmingham race riots. Her own father was connected to the Klan and she painstakingly interviews both sides of the conflict and exposes both the positives and negatives of civil rights luminaries. This is one of the few serious civil rights works done by a white author.

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
The Khufu Pyramid has 2,300,000 blocks of limestone and granite - averaging 2.5 tons each, perfectly placed to 481 feet tall (tallest structure in the world 'til the Eiffel Tower), and built with better precision than today's office buildings - the four sides of the base of the differ from longest to shortest by maximum 9 inches out of 756 feet each. Astonishing.
Even more amazing, if you're interested, is this measurable, not discovered until the laste 1940s: That the tip of the pyramid on top is exactly - to within 5 inches - centered over the mass of the structure:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3544/pyramidfl6.jpg

Looking at Khufu from above: The four radii (in red) differ by less than 5 inches
from longest to shortest. Modern architects cannot envision how or even why the
builders crafted these four sides so perfectly even. It's one thing for the bases of
the structure to be so close to exact lengths, they are easily measured, but there
seems no way that these inclined edges could have been kept so exact during the
daunting (and improbable speed) of its construction, so that the tip of the pyramid -
the last bit of construction - would end up perefctly in the center of the structure.

alkemical
01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm trying to see if i can contact him Buff

kamakazi_kal
01-21-2009, 02:20 PM
the road - mccarthy
gunslinger pt.6: wolves of the calla - s. king

epicSocialism4tw
01-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Best things I've read:

Existentialism is a Humanism by Jean-Paul Sartre
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
and of course the Harry Potters

Currently Reading:
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku
Physics for Future Presidents by Richard Muller

Want to read:
The Sickness Unto Death by Soren Kierkegaard
Utopia by Thomas More
A Discourse on Inequality by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Candide by Voltaire
and several others

Everyone should read about Existentialism, but with an open mind. I know a lot of people that immediately associate it with atheism or hopelessness, but that's not what it's about (for me anyway). It's about the freedom of choice, the freedom to be whatever you choose to be. I want to read Candide because it makes fun of the philosophy of fatalism that I dislike so much.

Monte Cristo and Two Cities are simply outstanding books that everyone should read. Where the Red Fern Grows was my childhood fav with Charlotte's Web. I still remember my 2nd and 3rd grade teachers reading them to the class.

Everyone should read Audacity of Hope and Physics for Future Presidents. Hope gives you an insight to President Obama (before he was president) and shows you how smart he really is, and details his perspective on the issues. Physics dispells myths about things from a nuclear terrorist attack to global warming, offering scientific evidence for whether things are overhyped or underhyped.

I'm reading Kant and right now (sheesh...talk about tedious!) and Plato.
I'm always reading Lewis.
I would like to read more Kirkegaard.

Los Broncos
01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
I have about half of this book, just a treasure to read.

One of the most gifted blues man of his generation.

Archer81
01-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Andrew Jackson and FDR. Not bad books.

Also been reading the Twilight Series because I dig vampire stories.

Also reading War and Remembrance for like the 100th time.

:Broncos:

SouthStndJunkie
01-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Speaking of vampires....anyone ever read the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley?

SouthStndJunkie
01-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Anyone read the Preston/Child Pendergast Novels?

Relic
Reliquary
Cabinet of Curiosities
Still Life With Crows
Brimstone
Dance of Death
Book of the Dead
Wheel of Darkness

Archer81
01-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Relic
Reliquary
Cabinet of Curiosities
Still Life With Crows
Brimstone
Dance of Death
Book of the Dead
Wheel of Darkness

No, but I got laid off from work, have severence pay and alot of free time before school begins. Are they good?

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 11:29 PM
the road - mccarthy

I have the "OrangeMane copy" of Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" ... it was sent to me well over a year ago, and it was supposed to be sent from user to user, but after I finished, I couldn't find a guy who wanted it ... come to think of it, it was probably this very thread.

They're gonna make it into a movie, Viggo Mortenson signed on to play the father.

At any rate ... somebody want to read it?

BroncoBuff
01-21-2009, 11:32 PM

Relic
Reliquary
Cabinet of Curiosities
Still Life With Crows
Brimstone
Dance of Death
Book of the Dead
Wheel of Darkness

I read "Relic" years ago ... didn't know it was a series.

Excellent book ... great mystery, science, Amazon jungle, New York Museums. Kinda like a "Jurassic Park" type novel.

SouthStndJunkie
01-21-2009, 11:35 PM
No, but I got laid off from work, have severence pay and alot of free time before school begins. Are they good?

I enjoyed them....if you read them, I suggest reading them in the order that I listed.

Pendergast is a great character....his character does not really take the main stage until the second book, but Relic is a darn good read.

Dagmar
01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
I have the "OrangeMane copy" of Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" ... it was sent to me well over a year ago, and it was supposed to be sent from user to user, but after I finished, I couldn't find a guy who wanted it ... come to think of it, it was probably this very thread.

They're gonna make it into a movie, Viggo Mortenson signed on to play the father.

At any rate ... somebody want to read it?

I do!

BroncoBuff
01-22-2009, 12:09 AM
I do!

Okay Dagmar, my Musketeer pal ... PM me! ;D

SouthStndJunkie
02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
I just finished reading 'Streets of Laredo'....so I am now finished with all 4 books from the 'Lonesome Dove' series.

I really enjoyed 'Lonesome Dove'....a masterpiece in my opinion.

The other books were decent and somewhat enjoyable, but Larry McMurtry forced the story in way too many places and there were many, many, inconsistencies from book to book.

'Dead Man's Walk' was ok....but it was like McMurtry took 6 hits of acid and then wrote the last 3rd of the book. I did enjoy the development of the great Indian Chief Buffalo Hump....the part in the book where he stalked Gus was the highlight of the book.

'Comanche Moon' was also an ok read....but there were way too many times where McMurtry forced things (like Call's relationship to Maggie)....which was barely mentioned in 'Lonesome Dove' and never mentioned in 'Streets of Laredo'. I did enjoy Inish and Inez Scull throughout the book.

'Streets of Laredo' was not a bad read....but kind of a downer. Joey Garza was an interesting bad guy and John Wesley Hardin cracked me up. It sucked not having Gus McCrae around....as he was the coolest character in all of the books.

All in all, the 3 other books did not come close to 'Lonesome Dove', but I still read and enjoyed them for the most part....but the inconsistencies were blatant and irked me a little.

No1BroncoFan
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I am currently trying to knock out all the Hugo and Nebula Award winning novels. I have been randomly reading these books off and on for the past 15 years, and always found them excellent and very thought provoking, so a couple of months ago I decided to read them all. So far I haven't been disappointed by any of them.

The most recent ones I've read:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear
Camouflage by Joe Haldeman
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin
Startide Rising by David Brin

Currently reading:

Seeker by Jack McDevitt

On Deck: (but not Hugo or Nebula award winners)

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
The Gripping Hand by Niven and Pournelle (Mote's Sequel)
Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

I'd also like to highly recommend any book by Vernor Vinge but especially A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky, he really comes up with some intriguing ideas.

I've read "American Gods" twice and can't recommend Neil Gaiman enough! Have you read "Stardust?" The movie was one of the worst Hollywood adaptations ever, but the book was absolutely awesome.

Recent reads:
The "Foreigner" series (all nine books) by C. J. Cherryh.
One of the best science-fiction series ever written.

"Golf Monster" by Alice Cooper.
Alice Cooper's auto-biography. Humorous and touching by turns. If you like golf or rock 'n' roll (or even if you don't like either) you'll like this book.

"The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star" by Nikki Sixx.
Wow. That just about sums it up. You won't believe how out of control those guys were on their "Girls, Girls, Girls" tour.

"Just After Sunset" by Stephen King.
His latest short story collection. Typical of Stephen King collections, there's some good, some bad and some in between. Worth a read, but nothing to kill or die for.

"Contact" by Carl Sagan
Great read but a somewhat disappointing ending. Certainly worth the time.

On Deck:
"Your Heart Belongs to Me" by Dean Koontz
"The Tales of Beedle the Bard" by J.K. Rowling
"False Memory" by Dean Koontz
...and whatever else I manage to get from the library in the coming weeks. ;D

Ben

BroncoInferno
02-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Fans of Cormac McCarthy should check William Gay. Just finished his novel Twilight (not to be confused with the vampire shiite), and it was an excellent read. Pretty grim stuff, though, so not for the faint of heart.

Archer81
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Just finished Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen mcCullough...not her best work, but not horrible, either. Also reading alot of Koontz lately, I am trying to find book three in his Frankenstein series, cant find it anywhere. Reread the twilight series and have been reading some James Patterson too, and bought Christopher Moore's new book Fool.

Kid A
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
After high school I told myself I wouldn't take another science or math class. Four years later I find myself fascinated by it (on a theoretical level--I'm still not getting anywhere near an actual formula).

Just finished Why Darwin Matters by Michael Shermer, which was a short but pretty comprehensive look at the history of evolution, the proof of it, and the history of the ID debate. Quick, worthwhile read for anyone with a moderate interest in the subject. Definitely does a good job of establishing the state of the theory.

I'm about halfway through The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. Fascinating read. I never really understood the basis of general relativity or quantum mechanics (actually, nobody really understands that). I'm just starting to get to the string theory stuff. I'm usually a fast reader, but I'm taking this one slow so that I can keep up. He does a really good job, though, writing for a non-scientist/physicist reader.

broncosteven
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I reread Gatsby cause it's been a while

A few seconds of Panic

I started Moby Dick just to say I read it, I am actually enjoying it very much.

I started Grouts History of western music

Physics of Nascar. I was dreaming at atomic level for a few nights.

Going to hunt down Physics of Football

I want to finish Magic Mountian and Buddenbrooks by Mann, I started both a decade ago but never fished them.

I have Manstiens Lost Victory's

I have some WAN/LAN books on my desk.

I have time while I recuperate from my neck surgery.

broncosteven
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Fans of Cormac McCarthy should check William Gay. Just finished his novel Twilight (not to be confused with the vampire shiite), and it was an excellent read. Pretty grim stuff, though, so not for the faint of heart.

The Road still gives me the creeps but it was a great work. I don't want to see the movie, I see it too clear in my head.

SouthStndJunkie
04-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I just finished up 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen

Excellent book....a little depressing at first, but a damn good read.

broncosteven
04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I finished Moby Dick, read a book called Glut about information systems and data storage throughout history.

I am reading Enigma: The Battle for the Code. Great book on the whole history of the Enigma Bombe and breaking the german naval, army and air codes.

I bought the Illiad and Oddsey, I started the Illiad it is very good. More in the mood for a war book though.

I want to knock out Dickens Tale of 2 tities soon.

SouthStndJunkie
04-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I want to knock out Dickens Tale of 2 tities soon.

I think that may be a porn.

BroncoBuff
04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
I got these lined up ....

'Blink' by Malcolm Gladwell

'Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Book-Hilarious-Disturbing-Marvelous/dp/0061374245/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239650965&sr=1-1) " by David Plotz

"Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon

DeusExManning
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM

'Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Book-Hilarious-Disturbing-Marvelous/dp/0061374245/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239650965&sr=1-1) " by David Plotz

Being that my primary income is from online book selling. I come upon several cool books. The best I have read this year is being turned into a TV series on ABC to follow lost. It is called Flash Forward by Robert Sawyer. The premise is awesome. They finally turn on the Hadron Collider and everybody on earth flashes forward and experiences twenty minutes of their lives in the future. The problem is everyone blacks out so planes crash and cars crash. But the visions people have change everything. One man does not see anything and it turns out that he is killed, using the flash forwards of others he tries to solve his own murder.

cq1
04-14-2009, 02:56 AM
What do you guys and gals like to read? Read anything good lately? Looking for something good to read (besides the Mane)? Post it here.

Currently, I'm reading the "Harry Potter" series (again).
Recently read:
"Footfall" (Sci-Fi) by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
"Warlock" (Sci-Fi/Fantasy) by Andre Norton.
"Expendable" (Sci-Fi) by James Allen Gardner.

In the queue:
The "Freedom" series (Sci-Fi) by Anne McCaffrey.

Ben

If you are into sci-fi, I can recommend this audio book, "The Rookie" by Scott Sigler. It is about an intergalactic American football league. Very entertaining.

http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-rookie

extralife
04-14-2009, 03:05 AM

I'm currently reading Gravity's Rainbow. Just make sure you're ready for it. Don't stray too far from a dictionary/wikipedia, either.

Taco John
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I just finished Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I'm currently reading Asimov's Prelude to Foundation.

rugbythug
04-14-2009, 09:57 AM
I just finished Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I'm currently reading Asimov's Prelude to Foundation.

I liked it, But only on the broad strokes. The whole lack of accountability twoards other people was too much for me. Plus the final speech was just too much. John Galt just kept repeating this mantra till I fell asleep.

Tombstone RJ
04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Right now I'm reading "Standing With Israel" its a great book about how the Evangelical church is the biggest supporter of the State of Israel. It goes into the history of Christianity and Judaism and how the two have intertwined over the centuries.

I'm a big supporter of Israel and I guess you can call me a fundamentalist Christian too.

No1BroncoFan
05-03-2009, 04:24 AM
If you are into sci-fi, I can recommend this audio book, "The Rookie" by Scott Sigler. It is about an intergalactic American football league. Very entertaining.

http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-rookie
I am definitely a sci-fi fan, or I should say sci-fi/fantasy, but will read almost anything that falls into my hands. I got the latest from Richard North Patterson, "Eclipse," on yesterday's trip to the library. Now I just need to finish up "Vigilant" by James Alan Gardner (great sci-fi author) so I can get to it.

I'll have to check out "The Rookie" in the near future.

Ben

SouthStndJunkie
05-03-2009, 04:34 AM
I finished up "The Lie" by Chad Kultgen....a funny and lewd read.

I am now reading "The Ice Limit" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

cutthemdown
05-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Being that my primary income is from online book selling. I come upon several cool books. The best I have read this year is being turned into a TV series on ABC to follow lost. It is called Flash Forward by Robert Sawyer. The premise is awesome. They finally turn on the Hadron Collider and everybody on earth flashes forward and experiences twenty minutes of their lives in the future. The problem is everyone blacks out so planes crash and cars crash. But the visions people have change everything. One man does not see anything and it turns out that he is killed, using the flash forwards of others he tries to solve his own murder.

sounds like sci fi channel to me.

Cool though I love stuff like this because I can totally get by the fact that the collider wont send you 20 minutes into future.

I really liked that book TIMELINE, the movie stink but the book was cool.

baja
05-03-2009, 07:25 AM
May not be a lot of interest here but if you would like to read a life changing book that is a guide to understanding these exciting times and use them to be a fully realized human Being than read Presence Process by Michael Brown.

http://www.namastepublishing.com/images/brown_cover.gif

Another amazing work that will give you the scientific explaination of what we are going through right now is Gerg Braden's Fractal Time

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Time-Secret-2012-World/dp/1401920640%3FSubscriptionId%3D02E5W5871AJF7PMMMS82 %26tag%3Dheroldmarketi-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3D1401920640

Hamrob
05-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I really like Steve Berry! He's a great writer in the Dan Brown mold!

I'm somewhat of a art history nut....so Iain Pears is a personal favorite of mine. I also like M.J. Rose quite alot.

SouthStndJunkie
07-04-2009, 12:06 AM
I just finished up 'All the Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy....excellent book....I need to read his other 2 books in the Border Trilogy.

Before that, I read 'Cemetery Dance' by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child....good read, but you should read the other Pendergast books in the series before this one.

I also read 'Average American Male' by Chad Kultgen. Good chick bashing book, but not as raunchy as his other novel, 'The Lie'.

Archer81
07-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Right now I am reading the Monster of Florence. Thomas Harris based Hannibal Lecter on this serial killer in Italy. Its a good book.

Kid A
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Last couple months:

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
Saturday by Ian McEwan
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
After Dark by Haruki Murakami
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

Archer81
07-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Last couple months:

Saturday by Ian McEwan
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan

That's the one with Charles Lindbergh as a Nazi sympathizer because they kidnap his son?

Kid A
07-04-2009, 04:06 PM
That's the one with Charles Lindbergh as a Nazi sympathizer because they kidnap his son?

Yeah, alternate history of early 1940s in which Lindbergh is elected president, cut ties with Britain, refuses to condemn Hitler, and begins subtly anti-semetic national programs within the states..

In real life Lindbergh was very friendly with the Nazis (they awarded him a medal), anti-semetic (strongly so in his private journals) and very non-interventionist in regards to WWII.

Rohirrim
07-04-2009, 04:14 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XY8E8S7SL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is one of the better books on Rome I've read.

mhgaffney
07-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Right now I'm reading "Standing With Israel" its a great book about how the Evangelical church is the biggest supporter of the State of Israel. It goes into the history of Christianity and Judaism and how the two have intertwined over the centuries.

I'm a big supporter of Israel and I guess you can call me a fundamentalist Christian too.

I wish I knew a nice way to tell you -- so you would listen and take it to heart -- without reacting -- that you are an idiot for believing this nonsense -- taking the Bible literally.

Isn't this what fundamentalists do?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to put it in nice terms because discretion is not one of my strengths.

Suffice to say that the bible must be understood in the context in which it was written. This is where I lose fundamentalists. Their eyes glaze over.

Please do yourself a favor and check out the following books by two Israeli scholars. You can find both at amazon:

THE BIRTH OF ISRAEL by Simha Flapan

and

THE ETHNIC CLEANSING OF PALESTINE by Ilan Pappe

These books blow to smithereens what you THINK you know about this issue.

baja
07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Presence Process by Michael Brown - Read this book become Enlightened

Bye for now........

Daavid

telluride
07-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Last couple months:

Saturday by Ian McEwan
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan

Excellent books, all. The Friedman isn't so hot, but the rest are great. If you like Murakami, try the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. And you can't go wrong with McEwan. Imagine if McEwan was a comedic writer, and you'd have Mangus Mills. His "The Restraint of Beast" is wonderful.

Mediator12
07-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I wish I knew a nice way to tell you -- so you would listen and take it to heart -- without reacting -- that you are an idiot for believing this nonsense -- taking the Bible literally.

Isn't this what fundamentalists do?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to put it in nice terms because discretion is not one of my strengths.

Suffice to say that the bible must be understood in the context in which it was written. This is where I lose fundamentalists. Their eyes glaze over.

Please do yourself a favor and check out the following books by two Israeli scholars. You can find both at amazon:

THE BIRTH OF ISRAEL by Simha Flapan

and

THE ETHNIC CLEANSING OF PALESTINE by Ilan Pappe

These books blow to smithereens what you THINK you know about this issue.

I wrote My thesis in 1994 while using Flapan's work as a poor example of Middle eastern Bias journalism. If Pappe's work is along the same lines It will not convince anyone of anything. This was to fulfill my degree in East Asian/Middle Eastern History and Political Science.

As for the Bible, it was written over 2,000 years so I would love to hear what context that exactly is.

Cito Pelon
07-04-2009, 07:20 PM
"The Color of Lighning", Paulette Jiles.

Very intense.

Cito Pelon
07-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I just finished up 'All the Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy....excellent book....I need to read his other 2 books in the Border Trilogy.

Before that, I read 'Cemetery Dance' by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child....good read, but you should read the other Pendergast books in the series before this one.

I also read 'Average American Male' by Chad Kultgen. Good chick bashing book, but not as raunchy as his other novel, 'The Lie'.

'All the Pretty Horses' was pretty good. Check out 'The Color of Lightning'.

Kid A
07-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Excellent books, all. The Friedman isn't so hot, but the rest are great. If you like Murakami, try the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. And you can't go wrong with McEwan. Imagine if McEwan was a comedic writer, and you'd have Mangus Mills. His "The Restraint of Beast" is wonderful.

I'm set to read Kafka on the Shore next, and hopefully Wind-Up Bird sometime soon. I'll have to check out Mills.

Pseudofool
07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm currently reading Gravity's Rainbow. Just make sure you're ready for it. Don't stray too far from a dictionary/wikipedia, either.Pynchon's awful. I'm not sure why he gets all the pomo love, when Robert Coover, William H. Gass (Read the novella/long short story "Heart in the heart of the country" utterly brilliant), and Donald Barthelme absolutely own him.

halfcreek
07-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm set to read Kafka on the Shore next, and hopefully Wind-Up Bird sometime soon. I'll have to check out Mills.

I enjoyed Kafka and Wind-up Bird. Just finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Angel's Game. It does not quite match up to his Shadow of the Wind, which ranks right up there for an excellent read, but still very worthwhile. I have recommended Shadow of the Wind to 30+ people and they have all enjoyed it, except my mother-in-law, so you can't have a higher recommendation. Ha!

mhgaffney
07-04-2009, 07:54 PM
I wrote My thesis in 1994 while using Flapan's work as a poor example of Middle eastern Bias journalism. If Pappe's work is along the same lines It will not convince anyone of anything. This was to fulfill my degree in East Asian/Middle Eastern History and Political Science.

As for the Bible, it was written over 2,000 years so I would love to hear what context that exactly is.

You must be kidding.

FYI, Flapan was NOT just a journalist -- he was a scholar - the Arab specialist for the MAPAM party - later absorbed into the Labor Party.

Flapan's book was a breakthrough piece of history -- and in part was based on David Ben Gurion's war memoirs and other Israeli government archives -- not previously available

all of which proved that the standard history about Israel -- as told in the movie Exodus -- was largely a fabrication -- essentially a piece of propaganda.

Zionists urged Flapan not to publish -- but he did anyway -- having lost faith with Zionism.

Indeed, this is the reason Ben Gurion's war memoirs have never been published in English. They have been suppressed by the Israeli government -- because Ben Gurion's own hand would explode everything we've been told.

MHG

broncosteven
07-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I just finished "lords of finance, the bankers who broke the world" about the period between 1914ish and 1938.

Lots of stuff about the gold standard and how War Reperations and bank runs Affected the great depression.

Funny but people either never read history or we are condemend to repeat it...

Cito Pelon
07-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Laqueur and Rubin 'The Israeli and Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict'. It's a compilation of historical documents.

Robert Byron's "The Road to Oxiana" is a good read about Persia, Afghanistan in the 1920's.

Richard Burton's "A Secret Pilgramage to Mecca and Medina" is self explanatory.

Also, a good read are:

"The Proud Tower" and "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman, both classics.

"The Source of the Nile" Richard Burton

William Russell's "A Special Correspondent to The London Times" is a good read for the Crimean War especially.

SouthStndJunkie
07-04-2009, 09:00 PM
'All the Pretty Horses' was pretty good. Check out 'The Color of Lightning'.

Thanks....I will check it out.