PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Tredici
05-26-2006, 10:52 PM
To those of you living in, or if you have lived in Denver try a John Dunning. His latest out in paperback is The Sign of the Book.

He used to own the The Old Algonquin Bookstore on Colfax. Most of his novels have lots of tidbits in them regarding what makes some books of more value than others. What's collectible. Psuedonyms. Interesting stuff for those who love books.

Plus it's local. All the places are familiar to Denverites.

Fun stuff and entertaining reads.

No1BroncoFan
06-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Tredici,

I just picked up "Denver" at the library and it's next up on the read list. It's outside my usual genre (sci-fi/fantasy) but it sounds like a good read.

Ben

Tredici
06-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Tredici,

I just picked up "Denver" at the library and it's next up on the read list. It's outside my usual genre (sci-fi/fantasy) but it sounds like a good read.

Ben

Hope you enjoy it. More an old fashioned "who dun it", but you will get a kick out of recognizing all the locales.

BroncoBuff
06-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Well Tredici, I just rescued the "ABCs of Movies" thread after Alkazar forgot his ABC's, and now I'm going to start on "State of Fear." The way it dropped like a stone off the Times bestseller list 18 months ago, I'm not expecting much ... but I've read every other Crichton, so why stop now?

Besides, it's like movies ... if you're expecting too much, you'll be disappointed.

Tredici
06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Well Tredici, I just rescued the "ABCs of Movies" thread after Alkazar forgot his ABC's, and now I'm going to start on "State of Fear." The way it dropped like a stone off the Times bestseller list 18 months ago, I'm not expecting much ... but I've read every other Crichton, so why stop now?

Besides, it's like movies ... if you're expecting too much, you'll be disappointed.

Oh it puts forth some good arguements and thought material like most Crieghton books do. But you will see that it is already pretty Hollywooded up. Like he presumed the book and screenplay were one and the same... but it will keep your attention. Just presenting all the conflicting scientific data on global warming makes it an interesting read.

No1BroncoFan
06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok Tredici, I'm more than half-way through "Denver" and so far it is a very good read (better than I thought it would be in fact). I don't know as it should be classed as a "who dun it" thought since there have been no unsolved murders.

Have you read "Just Revenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz? I think you'll like it.

Ben

Sassy
06-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Ok...who was reading "The Devil Wears Prada" ? Mt?

That girl was stupid for putting up with her boss for a year! ;D

No1BroncoFan
06-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Hope you enjoy it. More an old fashioned "who dun it", but you will get a kick out of recognizing all the locales.
I just finished "Denver." Damn! That book was brutal. A great read, but brutal. Thanks for the tip, Tredici. I'll definately be looking for more of his work.

Ben

DomCasual
06-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I am a shameless Stephen King fan. I honestly think he writes better than any other modern, popular writer I have read. People have a tendency to get hung up on the genre, and the lameness of almost every movie that has been made out of his books. But he has written some of the best books I have ever read. Of his books, the ones that stand out are:

The Stand
The entire Gunslinger series
The Eyes of the Dragon (Just finished, and really liked it)
The Shining

I also like Michael Crichton. I do think he makes his books a little too "Hollywood-ish." But he researches his subject matter well, and his books are great reads, usually - the kind that keep the pages turning.

Patricia Cornwell is the same way. Page turners.

John Case is good, although he hasn't written as much.

I've liked everything I have ever read by Ken Follett.

I think I have read every book those five has written.

On the other side of the spectrum, I just finished reading Digital Fortress, by Dan Brown (author of the Davinci Code). It was okay, until the last hundred pages. Then it became almost embarrassingly ridiculous.

Mtbrncofn
06-11-2006, 04:25 PM

Nope. I think it was STG or HM? Was it good? Have any of you gals read any of the Evanovich books yet? Get with it! ;) I'm dying to hear if someone gets as big a kick out of them as I do.

heydensmom
06-11-2006, 05:29 PM

It's me....and i'm half way through it....shhhh don't ruin it for me before the movie comes out.......it's good thus far

heydensmom
06-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Nope. I think it was STG or HM? Was it good? Have any of you gals read any of the Evanovich books yet? Get with it! ;) I'm dying to hear if someone gets as big a kick out of them as I do.
after devil wear prada, then finish undomesticated godess (which I am) I'll get to those. I promise!

alkemical
06-12-2006, 07:31 AM
I just finished promethius rising.

BroncoInferno
06-12-2006, 07:39 AM
I am a shameless Stephen King fan. I honestly think he writes better than any other modern, popular writer I have read. People have a tendency to get hung up on the genre, and the lameness of almost every movie that has been made out of his books. But he has written some of the best books I have ever read. Of his books, the ones that stand out are:

The Stand
The Shining

As a former English major, I'm a bit of a literary snob, but I must admit I maintain a soft spot for Stephen King.

Have you read Cell? I'm a huge fan of zombie movies, so I was really looking forward to this one. It started out great, but I kind of got disappointed when it went into the whole telepathy bit. And the ending really pissed me off. You aren't William Faulkner, King; an irresolute ending is unacceptable for a popular writer.

alkemical
06-12-2006, 07:50 AM
my fav. horror/scifi/fantasy author is hp lovecraft

BroncoInferno
06-12-2006, 07:57 AM
my fav. horror/scifi/fantasy author is hp lovecraft

Ever read any Joe Lansdale? He is very unusal, but if you enjoy B-movies you should check him out. He wrote a great novel called Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn).

alkemical
06-12-2006, 08:08 AM
no i will have to check him out.

DomCasual
06-12-2006, 08:42 AM
As a former English major, I'm a bit of a literary snob, but I must admit I maintain a soft spot for Stephen King.

Have you read Cell? I'm a huge fan of zombie movies, so I was really looking forward to this one. It started out great, but I kind of got disappointed when it went into the whole telepathy bit. And the ending really pissed me off. You aren't William Faulkner, King; an irresolute ending is unacceptable for a popular writer.
Yeah, I read Cell. And I agree with everything you said.

Read Eyes of the Dragon. It surprised me. If I didn't know better, I would almost have thought it was written by someone else. He writes it in a completely different style, but I really liked it.

ludo21
06-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah the book Cell kept me hooked, but then the flat ending sucked balls.

Im reading "the Broker" by Grisham, and so far so good, I have yet to read anything bad from him.

nooner
06-14-2006, 09:07 PM
so you wanna be a rock star

by jake shlicter

http://www.semisonic.com/jake/default.asp

most entertaining book I have read in many years. really well written about the quick 15 minutes of fame in the music industry...very funny

Sassy
06-15-2006, 08:14 PM
It's me....and i'm half way through it....shhhh don't ruin it for me before the movie comes out.......it's good thus far
Ok. I won't. But do you believe her boss?
BTW...I liked the ending!

mosca
06-15-2006, 09:38 PM

The Stand
The Shining

I also like Michael Crichton. I do think he makes his books a little too "Hollywood-ish." But he researches his subject matter well, and his books are great reads, usually - the kind that keep the pages turning.

i'm a huge fan of the dark tower series. i need to re-read it sometime... truly an epic journey. one of the most creative works i've read, but at the same time, very anti-climactic.

crichton is great as well. i think i've read every book of his except for the andromeda strain... hard to enjoy tech-savvy fiction written back in the late 60s since our world has changed so much since then. 'state of fear' is a good read... admittedly hollywood-ish, but if you can enjoy that, sit back and enjoy the ride. whether or not you agree with the stance the book takes, as someone else noted, it does open your eyes to the actual debate on the global warming issue.

Tredici
06-16-2006, 11:26 AM
I just finished "Denver." Damn! That book was brutal. A great read, but brutal. Thanks for the tip, Tredici. I'll definately be looking for more of his work.

Ben

Took a few twists and turns to get back to square one didn't it? Dunning has three "bookman" novels and a couple of others without the Janeway character. But I just love the tidbits thrown in about books.

I got on this "local author" kick. Just finished A Cold Dish by Craig Johnson. His main character is a Sheriff in a small Wyoming town. Being the shameless homer I am, I get a kick everytime he mentions his Denver Bronco coffee mug. -- And his best fried Henry Standing Bear. Every year they watch The Game. Broncos vs. Chiefs.

"Dish" was his first published novel. Not a bad effort. I will probably read the next one he comes out with.

No1BroncoFan
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I just finished "The Da Vinci Code." Wow! I had no interest in it until all the controversy over the film came up. The Christian churches once again decided something was innappropriate for me and once again I was not disappointed to go against their judgement. ;D Along that vein, has anyone read "Waiting for the Galactic Bus" by Parke Godwin?

Ben

Mtbrncofn
06-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Have you read 'Angels and Demon's yet, Ben? If not, you should. It's as good or better than the "Da Vinci Code".

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Re-reading "Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse for the umpteenth time.

mosca
06-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Love that book... I need to re-read it myself. It may not be as relevant to my life as it was a few years back, but it's nonetheless a remarkable narrative and story.
I've never read Siddhartha... if you (or anyone on here) has, how does it compare?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Love that book... I need to re-read it myself. It may not be as relevant to my life as it was a few years back, but it's nonetheless a remarkable narrative and story.
I've never read Siddhartha... if you (or anyone on here) has, how does it compare?

Siddhartha is a masterpiece as well. The novel is loosely based on the life of Siddhartha Gautama (who became the Buddha.) It sort of contrasts the life of the historical Siddhartha with that of a similar, fictitious character of Hesse's own creation who meets the historical Buddha but chooses to reject his teachings. The book touches on some of the same themes as Hesse's "Narcissus and Goldmund, e.g., the human dualities of contemplation and action, introspection and extroversion, devotion and rebellion, etc.

The film version is also superb - you can still get it on amazon.com, I believe.

There is also an excellent film version of "Steppenwolf" (1974) which has been out of print for years but surfaces on ebay not infrequently. Max von Sydow (The Exorcist) plays Harry Haller.

No1BroncoFan
06-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Have you read 'Angels and Demon's yet, Ben? If not, you should. It's as good or better than the "Da Vinci Code".
The rest of his works are definately now on my list!

Ben

Mtbrncofn
06-21-2006, 06:50 PM
The rest of his works are definately now on my list!

Ben

Let me know what you think when you read 'Angel's and Demons'. I actually liked it better than Da Vinci. I think I've read all the rest by now and they definitely weren't as good ( to me ) as those two.

Disco Man
06-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Into the void by Wendy Moore

LordHelmchen
06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Just read some Discworld novels again.. kept laughing my ass off,as usual :thumbsup: Terry Pratchett NEVER disappoints!

No1BroncoFan
06-27-2006, 06:24 PM
I am currently working my way through "The Wheel of Time" series, and in some places "working" is exactly the right word. They've been interesting so far (a little over half-way through the third one), but never really engaging. They are also quite derivative, especially from the King Arthur legends and “The Lord of the Rings” series. I’ll probably finish the series (unless there’s a drop-off in story quality), but I won’t be killing myself to read all the books, one right after the other like I normally do.

Ben

BroncoBuff
06-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Hey, bookreading nerds (like me :( )

Guess the literary reference: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=1168125#post1168125

scorpio
06-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I am currently working my way through "The Wheel of Time" series, and in some places "working" is exactly the right word. They've been interesting so far (a little over half-way through the third one), but never really engaging. They are also quite derivative, especially from the King Arthur legends and “The Lord of the Rings” series. I’ll probably finish the series (unless there’s a drop-off in story quality), but I won’t be killing myself to read all the books, one right after the other like I normally do.

Ben

Good luck with that, man. I read the first 5 in record time when I was a kid, then was totally turned off by the sixth book and frankly don't have the time or energy to slog through 5 paragraph descriptions of single objects anymore. I think Jordan has been phoning in his novels for about 7 years now, because he knows people will buy them no matter how much they suck.

If you haven't yet, read the Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin (begins with "A Game of Thrones") to see what the Wheel of Time could have been.

Tredici
06-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey, bookreading nerds (like me :( )

Guess the literary reference: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=1168125#post1168125

Ha. Don't think I can give you morons. Now, if it were you Princes of Maine.....

:D

Hotrod
06-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Bloody stump by the russian author I. Bitucocoff

No1BroncoFan
06-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Good luck with that, man. I read the first 5 in record time when I was a kid, then was totally turned off by the sixth book and frankly don't have the time or energy to slog through 5 paragraph descriptions of single objects anymore. I think Jordan has been phoning in his novels for about 7 years now, because he knows people will buy them no matter how much they suck.

If you haven't yet, read the Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin (begins with "A Game of Thrones") to see what the Wheel of Time could have been. I've read the first two of the R.R. Martin series and can't figure out what all the hubub is about. They're not bad, but not great either. I'll probably finish the series, but like "The Wheel of Time" I'm not going out of my way getting the next book. Honestly, I don't see a lot of difference between the two.

Ben

No1BroncoFan
06-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Bloody stump by the russian author I. Bitucocoff
::)

Ben

DomCasual
06-28-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm almost done reading Whiteout by Ken Follett right now. Good book, like all of his.

I just finished The Murder Artist, by John Case. It was a little disappointing - not up to par for him, in my opinion.

alkemical
06-28-2006, 02:39 PM
anything by Robert Antione Wilson.

Alkazar
06-28-2006, 03:09 PM
A friend of mine at work is going to loan me the latest installment in the Thomas Covenant series (Fantasy/SciFi). I hadn't even known there was another one out until I saw him with it!

Tredici
06-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm almost done reading Whiteout by Ken Follett right now. Good book, like all of his.

I just finished The Murder Artist, by John Case. It was a little disappointing - not up to par for him, in my opinion.

Ken Follett has one that threatens to edge into my top ten favorites. Pillars of the Earth was a great read.

BroncoBuff
06-29-2006, 06:24 AM
TRIVIA ANSWER: It's the last words spoken by Holden Caulfield at the boarding school he's kicked out of to begin his 3-day Manhattan odyssey. He yelled "SLEEP TIGHT, YA MORONS!" down the hall at 1 a.m. as he walked out.

Ahh, Holden ... how you molded my life.

No1BroncoFan
06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Let me know what you think when you read 'Angel's and Demons'. I actually liked it better than Da Vinci. I think I've read all the rest by now and they definitely weren't as good ( to me ) as those two.
Mt, I haven't gotten to "Angels and Demons" yet (it was out at the library), but so far, "Deception Point" has been quite good.

Ben

DomCasual
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Ken Follett has one that threatens to edge into my top ten favorites. Pillars of the Earth was a great read.
Yep, it was. It was the first Ken Follett book I read, and the one that got me reading the rest of his.

alkemical
06-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I am reading "nothing is true everything is permitted - the life of brion gysin"

DomCasual
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Dude, you're an enigma.

I forgot to mention. I am also reading Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants. Of course, I am reading that with my son.

alkemical
06-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Dude, you're an enigma.

I forgot to mention. I am also reading Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants. Of course, I am reading that with my son.

Why am i an enigma?

Book #2 sounds good.... I often like childrens books. I really liked the movie "adventures of shark boy and lava girl" - of course though - it's for the esoteric/gnostic principles...

BroncoBuff
07-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Why am i an enigma?

Book #2 sounds good.... I often like childrens books. I really liked the movie "adventures of shark boy and lava girl" - of course though - it's for the esoteric/gnostic principles...
You're an enigma .... wrapped in a riddle .... surrounded by the many arms of Vishnu!

alkemical
07-03-2006, 08:09 AM
You're an enigma .... wrapped in a riddle .... surrounded by the many arms of Vishnu!

I was told by a woman this weekend that i need to stop being so cerebral. First time a woman has ever told me to stop thinking with my head.

Victor
07-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I just finished Club Dumas by Arturo Pťrez-Reverte and I really enjoyed it.

This book served as the foundation for the Polanski / Depp movie The Ninth Gate.

The book reminded me of Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, if any of you enjoyed that one.

No1BroncoFan
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Ok guys, there may be a new place for you to get your fix in the next six months or so. I just started the process to get a small business government grant and with a little luck, I'll be opening a used book store Broomfield. Discounts/perks to OrangeMane members, of course.

Ben

Tredici
07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Ok guys, there may be a new place for you to get your fix in the next six months or so. I just started the process to get a small business government grant and with a little luck, I'll be opening a used book store Broomfield. Discounts/perks to OrangeMane members, of course.

Ben

Congratulations Ben! And absolutely good for you!

DomCasual
07-07-2006, 03:52 PM

Ben
That would be one of my dream professions. I hope it works out for you!

No1BroncoFan
07-07-2006, 04:43 PM
That would be one of my dream professions. I hope it works out for you!
So, you need a job? ;D

Seriously though, it's something I've been looking into for over a year and a half now. Recent events at work have inspired me to get serious about it.

MT, I finally for around to "Angels and Demons." Tough call between that one and "The Da Vinci Code," though I have to give the nod to Da Vinci, barely. It's probably just because of the order I read them, they were both great reads. I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get "The Solomon Key." It's another Robert Langdon novel.

Ben

ludo21
07-07-2006, 04:46 PM
When does that come out No1?

No1BroncoFan
07-07-2006, 05:11 PM
When does that come out No1?
All I've been able to find out so far is 2006.

Ben

ludo21
07-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Cool, i gotta get that.

Mtbrncofn
07-09-2006, 04:22 PM
So, you need a job? ;D

Seriously though, it's something I've been looking into for over a year and a half now. Recent events at work have inspired me to get serious about it.

MT, I finally for around to "Angels and Demons." Tough call between that one and "The Da Vinci Code," though I have to give the nod to Da Vinci, barely. It's probably just because of the order I read them, they were both great reads. I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get "The Solomon Key." It's another Robert Langdon novel.

Ben

Glad you enjoyed them, Ben. I read 'Angels and Demons' first, so maybe that's why I gave it the nod. I hadn't heard about a new one! Put me on the list that's excited to read it.

Congrats on your book store! Best of luck.

Rascal
07-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Can somebody tell me what Siddhartha and Steppenwolf are all about?

I was looking through a suggested reading list and they were on it and I know several people here have read it before.

Rascal
07-10-2006, 11:43 AM

Ben

Wow that's cool.

Congratulations Ben.

Unfortunately I live in OKC but if I make it up to Denver I'll have to come by your store.

Rascal
07-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I was told by a woman this weekend that i need to stop being so cerebral. First time a woman has ever told me to stop thinking with my head.

Which head was she talking about? LOL

alkemical
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Which head was she talking about? LOL

As a man, does it matter which one? They are one in the same from where i stand. ;)

Old Dude
07-11-2006, 07:25 AM

I was looking through a suggested reading list and they were on it and I know several people here have read it before.

I read these years ago, and I'm afraid neither one of them left much of an impression on me. They both deal generally with a search for enlightenment. Steppenwolf involves a bunch of weird dream fantasies. I remember even less about Siddhartha. I think some people have seen the books as very heavy on the Jungian "hero's journey" sort of thing.

Old Dude
07-11-2006, 07:28 AM
anything by Robert Antione Wilson.

I loved the Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy.

Victor
07-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Haven't read Steppenwolf. Siddhartha is a (in my opinion) ficitonal cousin of the tale of Buddha's real enlightenment. Very readable and enjoyable. It relays the substance of Buddhism without much of the dogma. I give it a big thumbs up.

If you want to try some other Hesse, try to hunt up "Journey to the East". May be hard to find as it is out of print. But it is an interesting tale about servant leadership with a dollup of mysticism thrown in.

Alkazar
07-11-2006, 09:52 AM

Ben
Soon as you get an address, I'll probably swing by and check out your stock.

No1BroncoFan
07-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Soon as you get an address, I'll probably swing by and check out your stock.
Looking forward to it!

Ben

No1BroncoFan
07-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Ok, I hit a couple winners at the library. "The Onion Girl" by Charles de Lint and "Metaplanetary" by Tony Daniel. "The Onion Girl," while still fantasy, is outside my usual fare. I don't usually like the 'fantasy crosses over to reality' type of fantasy novels, but this one was great. "Metaplanetary" is a distant future sci-fi interplanetary civil war type. Another very good read

I also hit a real loser. "Otherland" by Tad Williams. Great premise, but after more than 250 pages, the story simply didn't seem to be going anywhere. The guy has good characterization and setting, but the story simply never engaged.

Currently reading "Digital Fortress." It's the last Dan Brown book until "The Soloman Key" comes out.

I've got a couple Larry Niven books in the queue.

Ben

scorpio
07-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Ok, I hit a couple winners at the library. "The Onion Girl" by Charles de Lint and "Metaplanetary" by Tony Daniel. "The Onion Girl," while still fantasy, is outside my usual fare. I don't usually like the 'fantasy crosses over to reality' type of fantasy novels, but this one was great. "Metaplanetary" is a distant future sci-fi interplanetary civil war type. Another very good read

I also hit a real loser. "Otherland" by Tad Williams. Great premise, but after more than 250 pages, the story simply didn't seem to be going anywhere. The guy has good characterization and setting, but the story simply never engaged.

Currently reading "Digital Fortress." It's the last Dan Brown book until "The Soloman Key" comes out.

I've got a couple Larry Niven books in the queue.

Ben

Right on, I saw The Onion Girl at Barnes & Noble last weekend and it piqued my interest, I'll definitely check it out now. Thanks!

Tredici
07-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Just finished Valley of Bones by Michael Grubner. He always has some interesting twist on the religious aspects of his stories. One premise got a little far fetched but other than that I enjoyed it.

Mtbrncofn
07-23-2006, 07:00 PM
I've waited for a year for the new Preston and Child book and I just finished it. ( Book of the Dead )

It was great like the rest, left me hanging AGAIN! Grrr.

Any Koontz fans here? I know there were some. The third book in the Frankenstein series was slated to come out this summer and I cannot find any info on it at all. I'm waiting on pins and needles for this one!

If anyone knows, let me in on it, would ya?!

Tredici
07-23-2006, 08:51 PM
I've waited for a year for the new Preston and Child book and I just finished it. ( Book of the Dead )

Any Koontz fans here? I know there were some. The third book in the Frankenstein series was slated to come out this summer and I cannot find any info on it at all. I'm waiting on pins and needles for this one!

I keep watching for it. I'm such a freak I have one and two on the shelf. Won't read them until three is out. I can't stand waiting in between.

No1BroncoFan
07-23-2006, 08:51 PM

I guess you could call me a Koontz fan. I got kinda burned out until a friend loaned me "Fear Nothing" and "Sieze the Night." I've been meaning to check out the Frnkenstein books, but there are so many books and so little time.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
07-23-2006, 09:47 PM
I keep watching for it. I'm such a freak I have one and two on the shelf. Won't read them until three is out. I can't stand waiting in between.

Well crap! How come no one ever gave me that little bit of advice? This has got to be one of the worst ones I've had to wait for. I loved them. IMO, he went back more to his older writing style when it was more entertaining.

I cannot believe you have had them and haven't read them. You really are a freak, Tred. :P

Mtbrncofn
07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I guess you could call me a Koontz fan. I got kinda burned out until a friend loaned me "Fear Nothing" and "Sieze the Night." I've been meaning to check out the Frnkenstein books, but there are so many books and so little time.

Ben

I lost a lot of interest in Koontz after being an avid reader of his material. His mid 90's to early 00's books just didn't do it for me. He started to sound a lot more like Stephen King and I'm not really a King fan. These books however, are awesome.

Find the time, Ben...they're good ones.

Tredici
07-24-2006, 12:43 AM
But Koontz did write one of my favorite books. Watchers.

Koontz is very good with female and minority characters. No matter what Stephen King does all his characters come off like old men - who mostly scratch and spit. He has a fascination with boogers and balls. But then I read a couple of wife's "books". Man, she was worse with female characters then he is.

Mtbrncofn
07-24-2006, 01:05 AM
His wife writes? I didn't know that. It's King's incredibly lengthy descriptions of every single blessed thing that get me. It could be a crack in the sidewalk and it'll take a damn page to get through the description of it. I just can't handle that.

Watchers was a great one. I can't pick a fave, but I like a lot of his older stuff. My mom's favorite is Twilight Eyes. I don't see what was so awesome about that one, but she insisted I read it. The first Koontz book I ever read was the House of Thunder. I was a teenager and it was so wild, I was hooked. I may just have to go reread that.

alkemical
07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
I found the more you read, the more you can read. I am often reading about 5 books at a time. It takes me about 1 month to complete all of them with a few days to not read here and there.

Tredici
07-24-2006, 11:26 AM
His wife writes? I didn't know that. It's King's incredibly lengthy descriptions of every single blessed thing that get me. It could be a crack in the sidewalk and it'll take a damn page to get through the description of it. I just can't handle that.

Watchers was a great one. I can't pick a fave, but I like a lot of his older stuff. My mom's favorite is Twilight Eyes. I don't see what was so awesome about that one, but she insisted I read it. The first Koontz book I ever read was the House of Thunder. I was a teenager and it was so wild, I was hooked. I may just have to go reread that.

Well, there are books published under the Tabitha King name. There's a few conspiracy theories about who really writes them. (What have you heard Josh? :) ) And you know those pictures of Stephen on the book jackets that scare you? She's worse....

alkemical
07-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, there are books published under the Tabitha King name. There's a few conspiracy theories about who really writes them. (What have you heard Josh? :) ) And you know those pictures of Stephen on the book jackets that scare you? She's worse....

you know what is scary - clive barker writing kids books....

Billy Clyde Puckett
07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
I am about to start reading the entire works of Dashiell Hammett - Dain Curse, The Maltese Falcon, The Glass Key and The Thin Man were all made into movies and Red Harvest is supposed to be the inspiration for the old Gunsmoke TV show.

Old Dude
07-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Read a couple excerpts from Plague: The Mysterious Past and Terrifying Future of the World's Most Dangerous Disease, by Wendy Orent.

Mostly because a relative of mine is featured in the book. The portions I read were pretty interesting, and now I have to go find it to read the whole thing.

Sassy
07-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey Ladies...(and guys if you want!)
Have you read any of Janet Evanovich's books?
I just got Twelve Sharp...I read all the other 11! Ha!
They are hilarious...easy to read...

Mtbrncofn
07-29-2006, 12:21 AM
I told you guys that pages ago on this thread! Bout time someone read one. :thumbs:

Didn't they just make you laugh out loud at times?

Sassy
07-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I told you guys that pages ago on this thread! Bout time someone read one. :thumbs:

Didn't they just make you laugh out loud at times?
Oops...I remember that now!
My mom gave me the 1st 8 (I read straight through) and I had to go out when I was half way through 8 and buy 9, 10, 11. I am halfway through 12 now.
I love the Grandma!:rofl: and I want to see Morelli and Ranger in person :devil:

They are just as addicting as that dang "Block" game in the arcade at Meck's board!!!

Mtbrncofn
07-30-2006, 11:17 AM
The grandma is frickin hysterical. I get a big kick out of Lula too. Love to see the men materialize too. :devil:

Old Dude
07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Tredici]... He has a fascination with boogers .../QUOTE]

But then, honestly, who doesn't?

No1BroncoFan
07-30-2006, 08:48 PM
I just got some bad news. "The Solomon Key" won't be out 'til next year. :thumbsdow http://www.thecryptex.com/node/47

Ben

No1BroncoFan
07-30-2006, 09:09 PM
For all the dedicated readers, here's a great site: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

My favorite part is the "Author Recommends" section on each author's page. I've found a lot of great reads and great authors that way.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
07-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Ooohhhh maaaaannnnn! What a bummer.

Wish I could find out something concrete on the new Frankenstein book.

No1BroncoFan
07-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Ooohhhh maaaaannnnn! What a bummer.

Wish I could find out something concrete on the new Frankenstein book.
Fantastic fiction doesn't have anything about the third "Frankenstein" book. "Brother Odd" (Odd Thomas, book 3) is coming in November though.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
07-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Fantastic fiction doesn't have anything about the third "Frankenstein" book. "Brother Odd" (Odd Thomas, book 3) is coming in November though.

Ben

This is really irritating me! In the back of the second 'Frankenstein' book, it says summer 06 for the third one. The bunch of liars! Don't they know people are waiting for these things?!

Mtbrncofn
07-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Great site, Ben...btw. Thanks for the link!

No1BroncoFan
07-30-2006, 09:39 PM
This is really irritating me! In the back of the second 'Frankenstein' book, it says summer 06 for the third one. The bunch of liars! Don't they know people are waiting for these things?!
I've been waiting for "The Captal's Tower," the third part of the Exiles series by Melanie Rawn since 1997. Arrrrrrrrrgh! I understand your pain. ;D

Ben

Mtbrncofn
07-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Since 97?! Ok, that is way, way worse.

No1BroncoFan
08-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Just got finished with some good books. "Crescent City Rhapsody" by Kathleen Ann Goonan and "The Integral Trees" and "Rainbow Mars" by Larry Niven. All three were very good reads.

Time to hit the library again.

Ben

BroncoBuff
08-04-2006, 04:56 AM
Picking up "Bush on the Couch," "Conservatives Without Conscience" and the DVD "Why We Fight" Friday at the downtown Seattle library ....

It's a Non-Fiction weekend I guess...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Picking up "Bush on the Couch," "Conservatives Without Conscience" and the DVD "Why We Fight" Friday at the downtown Seattle library ....

:thumbsup:

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-06-2006, 06:17 AM
On the nightstand these past few weeks....

"Plainclothes Naked" by Jerry Stahl
"Slow Dance on the Fault Line" by Donald Rawley
"Go West Young F_cked Up Chick" by Rachel Resnick
"The Moon and Sixpence" by W. Somerset Maugham

Tredici
08-06-2006, 09:59 AM

Taking a trip to the Koolhaus? What a spectacular building.

Pendejo
08-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I've been working on "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates" by Tom Robbins off and on since January. I shall defeat this book...eventually.

Anyone ever read Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer"? I can't get through the first fifteen pages.

Tredici
08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I've been working on "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates" by Tom Robbins off and on since January. I shall defeat this book...eventually.

Anyone ever read Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer"? I can't get through the first fifteen pages.

Tom Robbins can be a tough read. His best was either Even Cowgirls Get the Blues or Another Roadside Attraction.

Dagmar
08-06-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.brosfraim.com/wolfboy/WB_Cover.jpg

BroncoBuff
08-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Taking a trip to the Koolhaus? What a spectacular building.
YES! So kool! A beauty. Where do you live?

The library's on 5th and Spring, too ... I lived at 5th and Spring in Los Angeles before I moved to Seattle ...

BroncoBuff
08-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Sounds like me 10 years ago when I tried to read Rushdie's "Satanic Verses."

I gave up after 3 days .... and 10 pages! Ha!

Tredici
08-07-2006, 08:16 AM
YES! So kool! A beauty. Where do you live?

The library's on 5th and Spring, too ... I lived at 5th and Spring in Los Angeles before I moved to Seattle ...

Greeley, Colorado. Work in Denver.

Have an Architect in the family so any trip to anywhere always includes a tour of the notable buildings.

The visual keys in that library are so great. The place looks (and is) enormous but wherever you see yellow, there is movement. Either escalators or stairs. I like having the Dewey numbers on the floor outside each aisle. Just some good, and practical concepts.

Took lots of pictures there. I had to order a new battery charger for my Ibook. (Pup chewed through the wires) As soon as it gets here I will download the pics and maybe post a couple in the amatuer thread.

BroncoBuff
08-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Can't wait for your Seattle pics. I'll try to notice the Yellow=Flow aspect next time. Each floor is painted - walls and ceiling - one color. The 5th (?) is all RED. Pretty cool.

Funny, but I don't go into the stacks much anymore .... I do it all on the Internet. I just show up on the eastside ground floor qand go to may last name and pick up what's waiting.

My friend and bass player lived in Greeley in a big rambler of a house his family owned at 1602 11th Avenue ... we used to go to a Mexican fast-food type place called "Antunas" on 9th Avenue and 16th .... great Green Chile ! !

But that was between 1981 and '83 ... incidentally, 81 was the first year the Broncos trained there. He HATED when I stopped to watch.

We also used to go to "The Armory" up north on 8th Ave...

BroncoBuff
08-13-2006, 05:18 AM
MY SHAME: I returned Gravity's Rainbow without having read a word. When I got home that day, The Simpsons was on, and Lisa mentioned Gravity's Rainbow in connection with her new college-aged gymnastics buddies.

For SHAME, BroncoBuff ...

No1BroncoFan
08-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Here's a couple more I've read recently:
"Blind Waves" by Steven Gould. Very, very good read.
"The Other Wind" by Ursula K. Le Guin. Don't bother unless you really, really, really like dragons. It's a pretty dry read. Had it been more than 250 pages I probably wouldn't have finished it.

Another one I read, years ago, by Steven Gould is called "Jumper." That one was a great read. I finished it off in two days.

Ben

ludo21
08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Im reading "Brimstone" right now.

Ok so far...

On my Florida trip i read "A Faint Cold Fear" by Slaughter or something like that... anyway i liked it a lot!

alkemical
08-16-2006, 07:44 AM
one fish, two fish - red fish, blue fish

No1BroncoFan
08-16-2006, 03:45 PM
one fish, two fish - red fish, blue fish
That's one of my favorites! ;D

Ben

alkemical
08-16-2006, 08:52 PM
That's one of my favorites! ;D

Ben

:)

Dagmar
08-16-2006, 10:09 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1585677248.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

No1BroncoFan
08-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I finished another one by Kathleen Ann Goonan while I was in Oregon. "Light Music" was every bit as good as "Crescent City Rhapsody." If you read them, be sure to read "Crescent City Rhapsody" first since the stories are related.

Ben

Orange_Beard
08-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Just finished "Among the Thugs" by Bill Buford

I have been obsessed by English Football violence.

DomCasual
08-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Just got done reading this a few weeks ago - it was okay, not great.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0316009644.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65767769_.jpg

Now I'm reading Night Over Water, but Ken Follett.

Dagmar
08-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Just got done reading this a few weeks ago - it was okay, not great.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0316009644.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65767769_.jpg

Now I'm reading Night Over Water, but Ken Follett.

I really enjoyed that one as part of my NFL learning experience.

Dagmar
08-30-2006, 02:08 PM
http://www.citybeat.com/2004-04-28/alllitup-2.jpg

DomCasual
08-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I really enjoyed that one as part of my NFL learning experience.
I can see liking it more from that perspective. And I wouldn't say that I didn't like it, exactly. I just had higher hopes for it. I love football and I really like John Feinstein. I had just expected it to be one of the more enjoyable books I had ever read, and it definitely wasn't that.

BroncoInferno
08-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Why would she want a hamburger when she could have a Humburger? Ha!

Orange_Beard
08-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Why would she want a hamburger when she could have a Humburger? Ha!

Don't tell the Boulder DA

DomCasual
08-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Don't tell the Boulder DA
Ew. That's more like "Toddler-ita."

Victor
08-30-2006, 04:13 PM

I got through Tropic of Cancer. It's definitely somewhat stream of consciousness. I still remember him comparing a prostitutes privates to a valise...what a metaphor. Is this the same Paris of Hemingway's "movable feast"? Hard to believe. It reminded me more of "Naked Lunch" than anything else.

The book I struggled to finish was Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". That was on my nightstand for over three years before I finished.

No1BroncoFan
08-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Currently I'm re-reading "Terminal CafŤ" by Ian McDonald. It's one I read years ago and is a great read.

I made a great discovery at the local thrift store today. I've been wanting to read some of the sci-fi classics that I've heard of for years, but have never made the time for. I found a hard bound omnibus of "The Time Machine," "The Island of Doctor Moreau," "The Invisible Man" and "The War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells in excellent condition for a mere $2.00. I have, of course, seen all the movies in at least one (usually two or three) of their incarnations. It should be a lot of fun to go through the originals.

I also found a hard bound (fifth printing, unfortunately) copy of "Red Storm Rising."

Ben

scorpio
08-30-2006, 09:26 PM
I got through Tropic of Cancer. It's definitely somewhat stream of consciousness. I still remember him comparing a prostitutes privates to a valise...what a metaphor. Is this the same Paris of Hemingway's "movable feast"? Hard to believe. It reminded me more of "Naked Lunch" than anything else.

The book I struggled to finish was Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". That was on my nightstand for over three years before I finished.

The Fountainhead is even worse than Atlas Shrugged. Stay away, unless you have to write an essay on it.

scorpio
08-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Currently I'm re-reading "Terminal CafŤ" by Ian McDonald. It's one I read years ago and is a great read.

I made a great discovery at the local thrift store today. I've been wanting to read some of the sci-fi classics that I've heard of for years, but have never made the time for. I found a hard bound omnibus of "The Time Machine," "The Island of Doctor Moreau," "The Invisible Man" and "The War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells in excellent condition for a mere $2.00. I have, of course, seen all the movies in at least one (usually two or three) of their incarnations. It should be a lot of fun to go through the originals.

I also found a hard bound (fifth printing, unfortunately) copy of "Red Storm Rising."

Ben

"Red Storm Rising" is probably my favorite Clancy novel, maybe second only to "Without Remorse"

No1BroncoFan
08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
"Red Storm Rising" is probably my favorite Clancy novel, maybe second only to "Without Remorse"
"Red Storm Rising" is definately a great one, and for two bucks it's a great replacement for my paperback copy. It's in great shape. I think it's gonna have to wait for a while though. I've been hankerin' for some Tolkien lately and I think after the Wells omnibus I'm gonna re-read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" yet again. I really need to get HB copies of those. I keep wearing the soft covers out. ;D

Ben

Orange_Beard
08-31-2006, 09:20 AM
I just started:
Million Dollar Baby: Stories from the Corner by F. X. Toole
The book was orginally called "Rope Burns" and was rebranded because of the one story being made in the movie.
It has been great.

Victor
08-31-2006, 09:34 AM
The Fountainhead is even worse than Atlas Shrugged. Stay away, unless you have to write an essay on it.

I cranked through the Fountainhead in no time at all. I actually enjoyed that much more than Atlas Shrugged...much less preaching about objectivism.

I'm just working through some good escapist assassin mysteries by Barry Eisler called Rain Fall and Hard Rain. Fun, cheap thrills.

BroncoInferno
09-05-2006, 10:35 AM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0393090027.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1126774747_.gif

alkemical
09-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
09-10-2006, 04:41 AM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0609809512.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056460445_.jpg

No1BroncoFan
09-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Well, I finished the Wells omnibus. Wow. The guy was definately ahead of his time. Bit of a tough read though. He may have written in english, but anyone who thinks english of over 100 years ago is the same as today is kidding themselves. Also, "scientific romances" aren't my normal fare. Still, the stories were great and definately worth a read.

As much as I hate to admit it, the latest film version of "The War of the Worlds" follows the original story closer than any other version I've seen. Some of the particulars are wrong and Cruise's character is totally off base, but it's still very close.

I picked up some new ones (and one old one) at the library. I'm currently re-reading "Jumper" by Steven Gould, which I've mentioned before. I forgot just how good a read this one is. It kept me up until 4:00 am. ;D He's written a sequal called "Reflex" that I'm anxious to get into. I also got "Limit of Vision" by Linda Nagata and a very well know classic of sci-fi, "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke. I really need to get some Jules Verne.

Ben

alkemical
09-15-2006, 10:06 AM
I have some british version of war of the worlds - it looks like a made for TV thing - but that was the closest i've found....

mosca
09-15-2006, 10:09 AM
I also got "Limit of Vision" by Linda Nagata and a very well know classic of sci-fi, "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke. I really need to get some Jules Verne.

On a side note concerning 2001, I thought this was really sad. The other day, at work, I mentioned the movie in casual conversation with a coworker and got a blank stare in response. Obviously this person didn't have a clue what "2001: A Space Odyssey" was. I proceeded to ask about 10 other people and only one had even -heard- of the movie, let alone seen it. Made me feel pretty old, and I'm 25. This truly is the ADD generation.

alkemical
09-15-2006, 10:36 AM
mosca,

i've seen the movie probably 5 times and i swear each time i see it - i don't remember half of it.

I still don't get it 100% - or maybe i do and i'm just not sure how to word it. Maybe that's why the movie is images and not dialogue.

No1BroncoFan
09-15-2006, 11:40 AM
On a side note concerning 2001, I thought this was really sad. The other day, at work, I mentioned the movie in casual conversation with a coworker and got a blank stare in response. Obviously this person didn't have a clue what "2001: A Space Odyssey" was. I proceeded to ask about 10 other people and only one had even -heard- of the movie, let alone seen it. Made me feel pretty old, and I'm 25. This truly is the ADD generation.
Yep. It's sad that such a classic is overlooked by the modern generation. Sure, it doesn't have the frills and fluff of todays sci-fi movies, but the story is engrossing. Isn't that the point of any movie (or book)? To tell a story?
mosca,

i've seen the movie probably 5 times and i swear each time i see it - i don't remember half of it.

I still don't get it 100% - or maybe i do and i'm just not sure how to word it. Maybe that's why the movie is images and not dialogue.
But, you've seen it and remember seeing it. The sad part is the number of people who not only have never seen it, but can't remember even hearing of it.

I'm seriously looking forward to the book. As good as the movie was, the book will probably ruin the movie for me. It's gotta be great!

Ben

alkemical
09-15-2006, 12:45 PM
it might be more.... illustrative than the movie in terms of not deciphering what kubrik was trying to "say"

BroncoBuff
09-16-2006, 02:20 AM
I'm on a Nietzche kick ... "The Nietzche Reader." It'd be interesting to compare his and Ayn Rand's philosophies. I sense there are a few parallels ...

Thus. Spoke. Zarathustra.

(coolest book title ever)

broncocalijohn
09-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Funny thing is I dont have time to read books but i sellnew books on ebay part time. I know James Patterson is really good and sell alot of his , Dean Koontz (Orange COunty guy) and Janet Evanovich (12 Sharp is really hot). I know i probably missing out but I did read all John Jakes novels North and South when I was 15 years old. God, I hope it hasnt been 21 years since. Well, if you need a newbook (and you know i never read it)........

alkemical
09-17-2006, 07:30 AM
test

No1BroncoFan
10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
As I mentioned previously, I forgot just how good a read "Jumper" by Steven Gould, is. The sequal, called "Reflex," is not as good, but is still a very good read. "Limit of Vision" by Linda Nagata was also quite good. I haven't quite finished "2001: A Space Odyssey" yet, but it is one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. It's odd though, that 2001 was based on the original screenplay, co-written by Kubrick, not the other way around. Still, the book is much better than the movie (while the movie is still a great one). There's so much detail that wasn't in the film, especially in the first half. The wole thing with the monkys now makes sense. Much of the hypothesising done by Clarke is amazingly accurate, especially considering it was written in 1967. I've never read much of Clarke's work having gotten caught up with the modern sci-fi writers. That's gonna change!

I also made a trip to the thrift store the other day and scored big time. "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham, "Sole Survivor" by Dean Koontz, and "Dept of Honor," "Executive Orders," The Bear and the Dragon," "The Sum of all Fears" and "Clear and Present Danger" by Tom Clancy. All first editions, all for $11.00. Looks like I'm going on a Tom Clancy binge very soon. ;D

Ben

fido
10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Just read Ben Franklins autobiograpy, very good.

Dagmar
10-01-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.portlandmercury.com/binary/3924fd9e/books1-160.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0307346609.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58782187_.jpg

Pendejo
10-02-2006, 10:58 PM
The last book I read was J.P. Donleavy's novella "The Saddest Summer of Samuel S". I admit I'm a mark for Donleavy's penchant for combining pure sadness and gut busting humour. Check out his classics "The Ginger Man", and "Singular Man".

I've also been reading Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them"...it's pretty funny.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
10-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Re-reading some light material, i.e., David Lee Roth's autobiography "Crazy from the Heat."

Lots of funny annecdotes and war stories. ;D

No1BroncoFan
10-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Well, I finished "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham the other day and I'm about 2/3 of ther way through "Sole Survivor" by Dean Koontz. "The Runaway Jury" was a great read and I'm adding Grisham to my must read authors list. "Sole Survivor" has been good so far. Not one of his best works, but in the top half.

Ben

No1BroncoFan
11-04-2006, 09:28 PM

May, 2007: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/dean-r-koontz/

Or, at least that's when it's scheduled.

Ben

Orange_Beard
11-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I have been reading:
Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman
By: Yvon Chouinard

Good stuff. I have been slowly starting a business and have found this book inspirational and informitive.

Mtbrncofn
11-05-2006, 09:54 PM
May, 2007: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/dean-r-koontz/

Or, at least that's when it's scheduled.

Ben

Arrggghh! They lied!

Thanks for the info, Ben.

Dagmar
11-05-2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n37/n189982.jpg

No1BroncoFan
11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Arrggghh! They lied!

Thanks for the info, Ben.
Not the first time a book release has been delayed. I feel your pain though. "The Soloman Key" was supposed to be out already and the only info I can get is that it will be out some time in '07.

Ben

loborugger
11-07-2006, 07:03 PM
I am just finishing up The Milagro Beanfield War. I read it as a teen 20 years ago. I am getting more outta this time around - makes me miss living in NM. The other day on the subway I saw 2 separate folks on different trains reading 1984. Hadnt even thought about that book, since, well, 1984. I think that is my next one.

smalltowngrll
11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm currently reading Financial Champion or Fiscal Fool. It's been great so far. I haven't learned much that I didn't already know, yet. But, then again, I'm only on Chapter 1. Should be a good read!

BroncoInferno
11-08-2006, 05:20 AM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0156031566.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37565860_.jpg

Very cool read about a Scot who walked across Afghanistan in 2002. You learn a lot about the history and culture of the nation. Stewart really puts a human face on the citizens there.

Mtbrncofn
11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Not the first time a book release has been delayed. I feel your pain though. "The Soloman Key" was supposed to be out already and the only info I can get is that it will be out some time in '07.

Ben

I'm waiting impatiently for that one too. :)

Dagmar
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0156031566.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37565860_.jpg

Very cool read about a Scot who walked across Afghanistan in 2002. You learn a lot about the history and culture of the nation. Stewart really puts a human face on the citizens there.

We haven't been able to keep tht book in Borders since it was reviewed in the TImes... Should read it.

ludo21
11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Ive been reading "Brimstone", not bad at all..

No1BroncoFan
11-09-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm waiting impatiently for that one too. :)
Impatient is my normal wait mode for books. ;D

I just got "Fortress of Ice" by C.J. Cherryh from the library last night. It's been so long since her last Fortress book that I thought she was done wiht the series (and could have been with the way the fourth one ended).

I finished "Clear and Present Danger" last night (in a rush, right after getting back from the library ;D). Not Clancy's best book, but not bad either.

Ben

smalltowngrll
11-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I just picked up The Innocent Man by Grisham. Looking forward to this one.

epicSocialism4tw
11-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Im currently reading these recreationally:

"Neurophilosophy" by Churchland
"The Wilderness World of John Muir" by Muir
"The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Manning
and
"Republic" by Plato

I'm an ADD reader..I bounce back and forth until I finish them. ;D I always have a few books on the burner.

smalltowngrll
11-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Im currently reading these recreationally:

"Neurophilosophy" by Churchland
"The Wilderness World of John Muir" by Muir
"The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Manning
and
"Republic" by Plato

I'm an ADD reader..I bounce back and forth until I finish them. ;D I always have a few books on the burner.

The Ragamuffin Gospel is an awesome book. I've read it several times. I always get something new out of it each time.

Sassy
11-14-2006, 07:55 PM

For some reason I just can't get into his books.

epicSocialism4tw
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
The Ragamuffin Gospel is an awesome book. I've read it several times. I always get something new out of it each time.

This is my second time through. I find myself needing to understand grace more and more as I grow older. Manning has a good grasp on it.

No1BroncoFan
11-14-2006, 09:45 PM
For some reason I just can't get into his books.
I picked up "Runaway Jury" at the thrift shop just to see if he was as good as the hype (and because it was only $1.50). Since then I've picked up two more and am looking for even more.

Ben

Dagmar
11-15-2006, 01:22 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0060392584.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Intelligent interesting man.

Cito Pelon
11-19-2006, 01:14 AM

Robert Byron, "The Road to Oxiana" is an interesting travel journal across Afghanistan, Iran. Written in 1923 I believe. Check it out.

Mtbrncofn
11-19-2006, 02:21 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0060392584.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Intelligent interesting man.
That he is. Too much freak and evil for me though.

SPfloppy
11-28-2006, 09:56 AM
The Stand by King and Controversy creates cash by Eric Bischoff. The Stand is the longest book I've ever read at 1141 pages (The 1988 extended edition). The other was a buisiness/wrestling book about a guy who made ted turner a little money

BroncoBuff
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM

He's just like Crichton imo ... downhill with every new book. "The Last Juror" and "State of Fear" were the worst for each I think. "Last Juror" read like he hadn't even bothered to outline the book before he wrote it.

BroncoBuff
11-28-2006, 01:51 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0307345718.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52132884_.jpg
VERY funny ... it reads like Hunter S. Thoompson without the drugs. ;D
</TD><SCRIPT></SCRIPT></TR>

VERY funny ... it reads like Hunter S. Thoompson without the drugs. ;D

smalltowngrll
11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
He's just like Crichton imo ... downhill with every new book. "The Last Juror" and "State of Fear" were the worst for each I think. "Last Juror" read like he hadn't even bothered to outline the book before he wrote it.

I'm almost half way through this and I didn't realize it until I was about a quarter of the way through that this is actually a true story! I've actually learned a lot believe it or not. It's a bit tough to get through some of the things, but, interesting how things are unfolding. I'll give my full opinion when I'm finished. Dang holiday plans keep getting in the way!

Tredici
12-03-2006, 12:14 PM
I am just finishing up The Milagro Beanfield War. I read it as a teen 20 years ago. I am getting more outta this time around - makes me miss living in NM. The other day on the subway I saw 2 separate folks on different trains reading 1984. Hadnt even thought about that book, since, well, 1984. I think that is my next one.

Did you finish the entire Milagro trilogy? Next was The Magic Journey and then the Nirvana Blues. I remember reading all of them, but the Beanfield Wars was always the best one though.

One of what I worked on lately was The Town That Forgot How To Breath by Kenneth Harvey. I like horror novels but this one well, it's a little low keyed. Had some terrific imagery in it, but there really isn't much beyond his main idea which could've been a 50 page short story instead of a 400 page novel.

BlaK-Argentina
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" right now. Anyone read it?

Arkansas Bronco
12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Pretty sure this one has bound to come up but i just finished Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. One of the easyest books to read, I could never put the book down it was so involving.

No1BroncoFan
12-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Pretty sure this one has bound to come up but i just finished Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. One of the easyest books to read, I could never put the book down it was so involving.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one at the thrift store/used book store/ebay. I'm currently reading "The Sum of all Fears" by Clancy. Before that I read "Odessy" by Jack McDevitt (Sci-Fi). Not his best book, but not his worst either. He's got two out that should be must reads for any sci-fi fans. "Ancient Shores" and "Eternity Road." Absolutely amazing stories told by a master storyteller.

I have no idea what I'm gonna read next. I've got so many new (to me) books that I'm in danger of hitting some gridlock and not being able to decide. Not a bad problem to have for an avid reader. ;D

Ben

Tredici
12-14-2006, 01:42 AM
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one at the thrift store/used book store/ebay. I'm currently reading "The Sum of all Fears" by Clancy. Before that I read "Odessy" by Jack McDevitt (Sci-Fi). Not his best book, but not his worst either. He's got two out that should be must reads for any sci-fi fans. "Ancient Shores" and "Eternity Road." Absolutely amazing stories told by a master storyteller.

I have no idea what I'm gonna read next. I've got so many new (to me) books that I'm in danger of hitting some gridlock and not being able to decide. Not a bad problem to have for an avid reader. ;D

Ben

Ever read The Charm School by Nelson Demille? Not as detail oriented as Clancy but a good read.

loborugger
12-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Did you finish the entire Milagro trilogy? Next was The Magic Journey and then the Nirvana Blues. I remember reading all of them, but the Beanfield Wars was always the best one though.

One of what I worked on lately was The Town That Forgot How To Breath by Kenneth Harvey. I like horror novels but this one well, it's a little low keyed. Had some terrific imagery in it, but there really isn't much beyond his main idea which could've been a 50 page short story instead of a 400 page novel.

I read all three of them back in the 80s. I liked them all about the same.

scorpio
12-14-2006, 04:47 PM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0060515198.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62579267_.jpg

A quasi-sequel to American Gods (http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0380789035/sr=8-1/qid=1166132389/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9651711-2691219?ie=UTF8&s=books), this book is really fun to read.

BroncoInferno
12-14-2006, 04:54 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/006083482X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No1BroncoFan
12-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Ever read The Charm School by Nelson Demille? Not as detail oriented as Clancy but a good read.
I see by the listings at the local library that he's the same guy who wrote "The General's Daughter." I've heard the movie is good (don't know since I refuse to watch anything with John Revolta in it) so I'll have to check him out. You certainly didn't steer me wrong last time. John Dunning is an excellent author.

Have you read "Just Revenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz? I think you'd like it. It may be hard to find. It's the onlt novel he's written and it didn't sell well. Great read though.

Ben

No1BroncoFan
12-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Well, we stopped in at a new (to us) thrift store last night and I absolutely SCORED in the book department. "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham and "4th and Fixed by Reggie Rivers. It may not sound like much, but "4th and Fixed" is a signed first in near mint condition! !Booya! Now I know what I'm reading next (yes I am one of those heretics that will actually read a signed first ;D)

Ben

BroncoBuff
12-16-2006, 06:25 AM
How about this for a two-fer:

1. "FIASCO" by Thomas Ricks, detailing Bush's failed war
2. "Our 50 States" semi-children's book by Lynne Cheney

True story - both on my nightstand.

Tredici
01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I see by the listings at the local library that he's the same guy who wrote "The General's Daughter." I've heard the movie is good (don't know since I refuse to watch anything with John Revolta in it) so I'll have to check him out. You certainly didn't steer me wrong last time. John Dunning is an excellent author.

Have you read "Just Revenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz? I think you'd like it. It may be hard to find. It's the onlt novel he's written and it didn't sell well. Great read though.

Ben

Charm School is on my list of favorites. As with most authors some of Demille's other stuff is hit or miss.

I just blew through Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising" in less than two days. This one goes back and tells us how Hannibal Lechtor became Hannibal Lechtor. It's amazing how a bit character who appeared in Red Dragon has become a recognizable icon.

I still marvel at the forensic details from Red Dragon which continue to spawn books and movies and television shows like CSI. I remember how it blew me away the first time I read it.

Silence of The Lambs was also terrific. Hannibal, umm.. not so much. That one really seemed overly commercialized and Hollywooded up. But "Rising" was a good read.

I will have to see if I can find Just Revenge.

Rock Chalk
01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
OK, I know many wont care for this selection but I thouroughly enjoyed these books. No pulitzer material, but very fun and exciting books.

The Halo Trilogy ("The Fall of Reach", "The Flood" and "First Strike") were all very engaging books. Best part is, you dont need to know anything about the Halo game to enjoy them.

First, they are sci-fi so if you dont like sci-fi dont bother.

The Fall of Reach explains the SPARTAN program's beginnings, and essentially gives you all the backstory to what happens in the first HALO game. It tells you about the training, the planet Reach and how Master Chief becomes Master Chief and culminates in the fall of the human controlled world Reach.

The second book was the least entertaining to me, but only because its essentially a step by step walkthrough of the game Halo: Combat Evolved. Good book I imagine if you know nothing about the game though, and you do learn about what the Marines were doing while you(Master Chief) are off galavanting around Halo.

First Strike was written by the same author as the first novel in teh trilogy and is much more exciting. It picks up at the destruction of Halo and follows the survivors through some harrowing adventures. It details everything that happens from the end of Halo: Combat Evolved (the game) to the beginning of Halo 2(The game) and gives yo some incredible insight into the Master Chief and Cortana (the AI who helps Master Chief).

If you dig sci-fi, I highly recommend these books. If you are a Halo fan, these are must read books.

BroncoInferno
01-04-2007, 06:40 PM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0060557540.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Unbelievable book. If you liked Toni Morrison's Beloved or William Styron's The Confessions of Nat Turner, you will not be disappointed here.

loborugger
01-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I read The Hate Factory. Its all about the roit at the NM state prison back in the 80s. I really, really, really want to do whatever it takes to keep myself outta prison.

BRNCOS1
01-04-2007, 10:10 PM
The Cell, Stephen King. What you might call creepy good.

Currently finishing Prayers for the Assasin, Robert Ferrigno.

No1BroncoFan
01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Currently I'm reading "Lisey's Story" by King. It's a bit of a slow starter (at least I hope it's not this slow the whole way through). I'm about half-way through and it just hasn't grabbed me the way King books usually do.

Ben

Dagmar
01-07-2007, 03:17 AM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0525476989.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64099815_.jpg

Trying to learn the history of this beautiful game.

Working in Borders rules as I can check out any book for 2 weeks like a library.

ludo21
01-07-2007, 10:07 AM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0525476989.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64099815_.jpg

Trying to learn the history of this beautiful game.

Working in Borders rules as I can check out any book for 2 weeks like a library.

sweet man!! :strong:

Im reading yet another Grisham book. Never interested in law before, but each time I read on of his books I cant put it down.

Dagmar
01-07-2007, 12:47 PM
sweet man!! :strong:

Im reading yet another Grisham book. Never interested in law before, but each time I read on of his books I cant put it down.

His latest, his 1st non fiction work, has sold a bazillion copies in Borders. Supposed to be good.

Old Dude
01-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting my copies of:

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril

(William Gibson, author of novels featuring caped crime fighter "The Shadow," and Lester Dent, the creator of do-gooder hero Doc Savage—are trying to solve real-life mysteries that each hopes will give him bragging rights as the world's best yarn spinner. Gibson follows rumors that pulp colleague H.P. Lovecraft was murdered to the fog-shrouded Providence, R.I., waterfront. Dent tracks clues to an impossible killing through the bowels of New York's Chinatown. As the two adventures dovetail, they spawn sinuous subplots involving tong wars, secret chemical warfare, pirate mercenaries, kidnappings, revolution in China and weird science run amok. Lovecraft, L. Ron Hubbard, Louis L'Amour and Chester Himes all play prominent supporting roles.)

And:

(nonfiction)

Thunderstruck

(Juxtaposes scientific intrigue with a notorious murder in London at the turn of the 20th century. It alternates the story of Marconi's quest for the first wireless transatlantic communication amid scientific jealousies and controversies with the tale of a mild-mannered murderer caught as a result of the invention. The eccentric figures include the secretive Marconi and one of his rivals, physicist Oliver Lodge, who believed that he was first to make the discovery, but also insisted that the electromagnetic waves he studied were evidence of the paranormal. The parallel tale recounts the story of Dr. Hawley Harvey Crippen, accused of murdering his volatile, shrewish wife. As he and his unsuspecting lover attempted to escape in disguise to Quebec on a luxury ocean liner, a Scotland Yard detective chased them on a faster boat. Unbeknownst to the couple, the world followed the pursuit through wireless transmissions to newspapers on both sides of the Atlantic. A public that had been skeptical of this technology suddenly grasped its power.)

Tredici
01-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm anxiously awaiting my copies of:

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril

(William Gibson, author of novels featuring caped crime fighter "The Shadow," and Lester Dent, the creator of do-gooder hero Doc Savageóare trying to solve real-life mysteries that each hopes will give him bragging rights as the world's best yarn spinner. Gibson follows rumors that pulp colleague H.P. Lovecraft was murdered to the fog-shrouded Providence, R.I., waterfront. Dent tracks clues to an impossible killing through the bowels of New York's Chinatown. As the two adventures dovetail, they spawn sinuous subplots involving tong wars, secret chemical warfare, pirate mercenaries, kidnappings, revolution in China and weird science run amok. Lovecraft, L. Ron Hubbard, Louis L'Amour and Chester Himes all play prominent supporting roles.)

I read Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" not too long ago. It had been recognized as a Notable Book but I found it strangely unappealing. A Mish Mash of a character with the ability to spot marketable new trends (coolness hunter) loads of logo info, even an internet chat forum with posts and all. But much of it seemed a bit contrived to me and an effort to get every new cultural phenomenon all jammed into one storyline. Anyway, I did manage to finish the book but I just can't say it was really an enjoyable read. Maybe I need to try something else of his.

Sassy
01-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Go to bed, Tred! LOL! I'll answer your pm tomorrow! ;D

Oh yeah...just started "Plum Loving" by Janet Evanovich.
I loved the series 1-12 about Stephanie Plum.

Mtbrncofn
01-11-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm just getting ready to start Motor Mouth by Evanovich.

Sassy
01-11-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm just getting ready to start Motor Mouth by Evanovich.

This one just came out! January 2007 copyright.

Mtbrncofn
01-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Jealous!!

Pendejo
01-11-2007, 03:05 AM

Ben

I've read a ton of Clancy books...I thought the Cardinal of the Kremlin was fantastic. Although it's been over a decade since I read it.

I also enjoy Robert Ludlum from time to time. I recommend The Matarese Circle, and for those of you who like your spy type novels with some fresh humor...The Road to Gandalfo. Gandalfo is a very fun book...there's some suspense...the characters are interesting...and you'll laugh...unless you're a "Pricky sh!t".

Sassy
01-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Jealous!!

It's a "valentine" edition...it says "Between the numbers series"...so it relates to the series but it's not the 13th after Twelve Sharp.

BroncoBuff
01-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Whoa!

Arianna Huffington's "On Becoming Fearless" is a chick book! I hope nobody saw me checking it out!

;D

Old Dude
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I read Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" not too long ago. It had been recognized as a Notable Book but I found it strangely unappealing. A Mish Mash of a character with the ability to spot marketable new trends (coolness hunter) loads of logo info, even an internet chat forum with posts and all. But much of it seemed a bit contrived to me and an effort to get every new cultural phenomenon all jammed into one storyline. Anyway, I did manage to finish the book but I just can't say it was really an enjoyable read. Maybe I need to try something else of his.

My mistake, Tre. The Gibson featured as a character in the book is Walter Gibson, the pulp writer from the 1930's who created "The Shadow." Not William Gibson, the modern "cyberpunk" sci-fi author (whose main work is probably Neuromancer.).

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril is actually authored by Paul Malmont, and I think this is his first novel.

http://www.paulmalmont.com/

Mtbrncofn
01-11-2007, 11:12 AM
It's a "valentine" edition...it says "Between the numbers series"...so it relates to the series but it's not the 13th after Twelve Sharp.

LOL I looked it up right after you posted. I thought it was part of the series. I can wait for it then. ;D

Sassy
01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
LOL I looked it up right after you posted. I thought it was part of the series. I can wait for it then. ;D

It still has all the characters in it...she might end up with "Diesel" in this one...and leave Morelli and Ranger hanging ;D

Mtbrncofn
01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
That would be a travesty. I've been reading these books since they first came out and had to wait agonizingly for each one. Now they go and bait me into thinking she could end up with someone else! I won't stand for it. ;D

Sassy
01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I finished it...LOL! Wanna know if she does?
It's not as good...not as much action/killing/sex in it ;D But still fun to read!

Sassy
01-11-2007, 10:14 PM
That would be a travesty. I've been reading these books since they first came out and had to wait agonizingly for each one. Now they go and bait me into thinking she could end up with someone else! I won't stand for it. ;D

So who are you rooting for Joe or Ranger?
I love the Grandma in these books! ROFL!

Mtbrncofn
01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
I finished it...LOL! Wanna know if she does?
It's not as good...not as much action/killing/sex in it ;D But still fun to read!

No I don't want to know!! ;D

The grandma and Lula have been my favorites from day one.

As for the men, I lean toward the Ranger direction. I guess it's the whole mysterious bad boy thing. :D

Sassy
01-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Hard Cover of PLUM LOVIN'
(Plum Valentine's Day Novella)

April 3, 2007
Hard Cover of MORE PLUMS IN ONE
(Omnibus of books Four, Five and Six)

April 28, 2007
Paperback of HOT STUFF
(Co-authored romance novel with Leanne Banks)

June 2007 (Exact date to come.)
Hard Cover of LEAN MEAN THIRTEEN We have to wait 6 months! :(

June 2007 (Exact date to come.)
Paperback of TWELVE SHARP

Mtbrncofn
01-12-2007, 12:37 AM
June?!! Geez, that's forever.

Boobs McGee
01-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Just finished a great book called Legionnaire. Biography of Simon Murray, and his five years in the French Foreign Legion...great book and a quick read.

Mtbrncofn
01-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Wow! Haven't seen you around these parts in awhile, bronconia. Welcome back!

Sassy
01-12-2007, 08:22 AM

Yep :(

loborugger
01-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Just finished a great book called Legionnaire. Biography of Simon Murray, and his five years in the French Foreign Legion...great book and a quick read.

I picked up a paperback about 15 years ago called A Mouth Full of Rocks. About a Brit that did time in the Legion before going AWOL. If the legion comes calling, tell me I said no thanx.

No1BroncoFan
01-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Yep :(
That's nothing. Try waiting 11 years and counting for the next book in a series. That's forever!

I'm just about finished with "Lisey's Story." After a slow start, wow.

Ben

Boobs McGee
01-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Wow! Haven't seen you around these parts in awhile, bronconia. Welcome back!

THANKS! good to be back! Finally got a computer and some internet, so hopefully I can contribute a little more frequently again! :D

Rascal
01-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Currently reading The Great Gatsby and Guns, Germs, and Steel. Don't agree with everything that Diamond has stated in that book but it's a good read.

Boobs McGee
01-13-2007, 12:28 AM
I picked up a paperback about 15 years ago called A Mouth Full of Rocks. About a Brit that did time in the Legion before going AWOL. If the legion comes calling, tell me I said no thanx.

seriously...some of the training/everday routine/punishment those guys go through is insane. I'm definitely NOT signing up

No1BroncoFan
01-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Just finished (audio books) "Dragon's Blood" by Todd McCaffrey (apparently Anne has passed the torch), "LT's Theory of Pets" and "The Stationary Bike" "by Stephen King and (print) "Fourth and Fixed" by Reggie Rivers. 4th & Fixed was a great ride and the Pern novel by Todd McCaffrey was the best one in a long, long, long time. Theory was quite good and very funny in places, but "Stationary Bike" was a bit dull. Currently I'm workling on "Cell" (again, audio book) and "Manifold Origin" (print) by Stephen Baxter. It's the third in the "Manifold" series and I have high hopes for it.

Why oh why didn't I ever get any audio books before now?!? Not only are they great for the commute, but they really make a boring day at work go quickly!

Ben

ludo21
01-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Just finished "Life Expectancy" by Dean Koontz.

Solid book, not his best, but i enjoyed it!

BroncoBuff
01-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Currently reading Guns, Germs, and Steel. Don't agree with everything that Diamond has stated in that book but it's a good read.
"The Third Chimpanzee" was a better book I thought, even though GGS was a bigger seller. Kinda odd that in both books, he seems obsessed with Papua New Guinea ... Papua New Guinea is the test-tube for all comparisons of anthropological advancement in his view. GGS has too much opinion and surmising for me anyway. Stick to the science, you crazy Diamond. Also strange .... Diamond resigned his professorship at UCLA a couppla years ago, to accept a post at ... USC!

____

I'm finishing Pat Buchanan's "State of Emergency" now. I'm really on board with many of his issues - not to where I'm watching Lou Dobbs or anything insane like that - but he has excellent, well-reasoned points. He's a bit too salesman-like sometimes, though ... e.g.: whenever he lists all the crimes illegal aliens commit here, ("assault, rape and murder"), he always adds "child molesting" to his list. He does it to heighten the reader's emotional outrage, of course, but I'm not impressed that too many Mexican illegals are actually pedophiles ...

Next up is "Bait and Switch : The (futile) Pursuit of the American dream" by Barbara Ehrenreich. A "disappearing middle class" book I'm reading in honor of my two new favorite politicians and their pet issue: Jon Tester and Jim Webb.

I'm also kinda ramming through John Stossel's "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity." It's interesting, but JOHN! Not everything can be solved with free market solutions, pal. Even Milton Friedman knew that government regulation has its place.

And Stossel is SO FREAKING OBSESSED with lawyers!!!! "Lawyers are killing colleges these days because they file so many Title IX lawsuits. Their actions cause colleges and taxpayers to suffer." Hey, Stossel! Where's all your free-market advocacy now? Title IX are civil-rights suits, and as such, they include attorneys fees provisions for prevailing parties ... SOOOO ... lawyers gravitate toward them. Blame the politicians!

And he makes fun of the title "Esquire" that many lawyers use after their names. He mockingly points out that it means nothing. True, but what he doesn't tell you is that attorneys are not permitted to call themselves "Doctor," even though we have doctorates. Doctorates in other fields do this, but the American Bar Association long ago decided that it gave the wrong impression to the public, so attorneys cannot call themselves "doctor," despite the fact they are. Eat them ethics, mustache-boy!

Tredici
01-28-2007, 03:13 AM
"The Third Chimpanzee" was a better book I thought, even though GGS was a bigger seller. Kinda odd that in both books, he seems obsessed with Papua New Guinea ... Papua New Guinea is the test-tube for all comparisons of anthropological advancement in his view. GGS has too much opinion and surmising for me anyway. Stick to the science, you crazy Diamond. Also strange .... Diamond resigned his professorship at UCLA a couppla years ago, to accept a post at ... USC! ::)

____

I'm finishing Pat Buchanan's "State of Emergency" now. I'm really on board with many of his issues - not to where I'm watching Lou Dobbs or anything insane like that - but he has excellent, well-reasoned points. He's a bit too salesman-like sometimes, though ... e.g.: whenever he lists all the crimes illegal aliens commit here, ("assault, rape and murder"), he always adds "child molesting" to his list. He does it to heighten the reader's emotional outrage, of course, but I'm not impressed that too many Mexican illegals are actually pedophiles ...

Next up is "Bait and Switch : The (futile) Pursuit of the American dream" by Barbara Ehrenreich. A "disappearing middle class" book I'm reading in honor of my two new favorite politicians and their pet issue: Jon Tester and Jim Webb.

I'm also kinda ramming through John Stossel's "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity." It's interesting, but JOHN! Not everything can be solved with free market solutions, pal. Even Milton Friedman knew that government regulation has its place.

And Stossel is SO FREAKING OBSESSED with lawyers!!!! "Lawyers are killing colleges these days because they file so many Title IX lawsuits. Their actions cause colleges and taxpayers to suffer." Hey, Stossel! Where's all your free-market advocacy now? Title IX are civil-rights suits, and as such, they include attorneys fees provisions for prevailing parties ... SOOOO ... lawyers gravitate toward them. Blame the politicians!

And he makes fun of the title "Esquire" that many lawyers use after their names. He mockingly points out that it means nothing. True, but what he doesn't tell you is that attorneys are not permitted to call themselves "Doctor," even though we have doctorates. Doctorates in other fields do this, but the American Bar Association long ago decided that it gave the wrong impression to the public, so attorneys cannot call themselves "doctor," despite the fact they are. Eat them ethics, mustache-boy!

Can you be Indian Chiefs?

Pendejo
01-28-2007, 03:40 AM
This is a bit off topic...but I'm currently working on a novel titled "Momma, why is it chunky when I pee?"

It's heavily layered...it does not rely solely on it's kick ass title.

BroncoBuff
01-28-2007, 05:02 AM
And he (John Stossel in "Myths, Lies") makes fun of the title "Esquire" that many lawyers use after their names. He mockingly points out that it means nothing. True, but what he doesn't tell you is that attorneys are not permitted to call themselves "doctor," even though we have doctorates! Doctors in other fields are called "doctor," but the American Bar Association long ago decided that it gave the 'wrong impression' to the public, so attorneys cannot call themselves "doctor," despite the fact we are. Eat them ethics, mustache-boy!
I am even more annoyed by this than I was before,

SO.......

I now demand to be called "Doctor BroncoBuff."
- thank you very much

DomCasual
01-29-2007, 12:22 AM
The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

It's supposed to be a book about the evolution of the left tackle position in football. It didn't really turn out to be that, but it was a decent book, nonetheless.

BroncoBuff
01-29-2007, 02:26 AM
I might be sorry I asked this question, but ....

How does a book about playing left tackle in the National Football League morph into smething else?

Dukes
02-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Ok I've searched through a few pages of this thread AND used the search function and have yet to see anyone mention it.

I've just finished Vince Flynn's latest called Act of Treason. It's #8 in his series primarily on the character of Mitch Rapp, a CIA assasin/badass. I recommend the entire series to anyone who likes Tom Clancy/Spy novels. They are quick and fun to read.

http://www.vinceflynn.com/

Sassy
02-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Haven't read/listened to them yet. But yesterday I bought "Stock Investing For Dummies CD's" and Smart Women Finish Rich by David Bach.

Mtbrncofn
02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
I just finished Shake Hands With the Devil. This book makes it embarassing to be an American where Rwanda was concerned. How appalling how our government lied and wouldn't help over there after repeated beggings from Dallaire and others, then had the gall to step up and take credit for aiding in stopping the genocide.

There is a line in this book that said a US official told Dallaire the US didn't think it was worth risking American lives over and the way they figured it, was that it would take 85,000 Rwandan lives to equal that of one American soldier.

Incredibly sad.

ludo21
02-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Another Dean Koontz book down, pretty solid!

"Life Expectancy"

broncolife
02-28-2007, 10:57 PM
My top ten books:kubiak: :stuck:

Top 10 Books about Masturbation

Masturbation is the most frequently practiced sexual behavior in the world. Yet there are surprisingly few books written about masturbation, and most have been written in the past thirty years. Whether youíre looking for ideas on masturbation technique, or you want to know the history of masturbation myths or taboos, youíll likely find something of interest in this collection of the best books on masturbation.

1) Sex for One
If youíre looking to learn more about yourself and increase your own sexual satisfaction (both by yourself and with a partner) this is an essential read. Sex for One is both personal and political in its call for all of us to make better love to ourselves. It has none of the smarmy self-help lingo, but is inspiring and practical.

2) For Yourself
For women who want a structured guide to exploring their sexual potential, this book offers a wonderful and gentle guide to learning to become orgasmic, and learning to explore what role sex and sexuality can play in your life. Inspired by hundreds of therapeutic and sexual consciousness raising womenís groups led by Barbach, the book doesnít just cover masturbation, but it plays a key role in the path to sexual discovery.

3) Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women
A more straightforward guide written by sex therapists for women who donít experience (or donít regularly experience) orgasm. Some may find this book too clinical, but for anyone who likes step by step instructions, exercises, and to the point information, Becoming Orgasmic is a great resource. The Becoming Orgasmic video which is a visual companion to the book, is available separately.

4) The Joy of Solo Sex
One of the few books that focuses solely on male masturbation, the Joy of Solo Sex, along with the second volume entitled offer stories, masturbation techniques, and reassurance that masturbation is a key part of sexual health.

5) Solitary Sex: A Cultural History of Masturbation
An important moment in the publication of Solitary Sex brought academic legitimacy to the topic of masturbation. Written by historian Thomas Laqueur, author of the seminal sexo-historical text Making Sex, Solitary Sex outlines the way masturbation went from an innocuous sexual behavior, to the most maligned form of sexual expression, to a primary tool of self-empowerment.

6) The Big Book of Masturbation
The closest thing to an encyclopedia of masturbation, The Big Book of Masturbation covers a wide range of perspectives across history and across cultures. With plenty of research, opinion, and lore on masturbation, Martha Cornog has compiled the most thorough cultural reference on this much maligned and practiced sexual behavior.

7) Good Vibrations
This book is meant to be a guide to using vibrators, and it includes some information about partners, but mostly itís about masturbation. Written by Joani Blank, the founder of Good Vibrations and Down There Press, this book offers practical masturbation techniques, plenty of reassurance for the masturbation novice, and a friendly tone that makes exploring new forms of masturbation seem less scary and more exciting.

8) First Person Sexual: Women & Men Write About Self-Pleasuring
This compelling collection features stories (both real and imagined) that focus on masturbation. Itís like picking up the diaries of a dozen strangers and reading their secret masturbation fantasies and thoughts. I wouldnít label this hardcore erotica but itís both a fascinating read, and in parts genuinely hot.

9) I Am My Lover: Women Pleasure Themselves
One of the only photo books in the world that celebrates masturbation. Twelve photographers present images of twelve women masturbating. Aside from the beautiful large format of the book, what sets these images apart from pornography is that fact that the women are not performing for us (or the camera), they are entirely engaged in the task at hand.

10) Masturbation as a Means to Achieving Sexual Health
A great resource for anyone who teaches about sexuality, this book is meant less for laypeople than it is for professionals. It covers a great deal of the psychological and sociological research thatís available on masturbation and clearly articulates why masturbation is considered, by most sexual health educators, to be the cornerstone of sexual health.

No1BroncoFan
03-19-2007, 08:15 PM
To follow in broncolife's example (without the self love), what's your top 10?

Mine (at least for now):
1. "Eternity Road" - Jack McDevitt
2. "Terminal Cafe" - Ian McDonald
3. "The Lord of the Rings" - J.R.R. Tolkien (no, it's not a trilogy)
4. "Elvenborn" - Andre Norton & Mercedes Lackey
5. "The Stand" - Stephen King
6. "Expendable" - James Alen Gardner
7. "The Golden Key" - Mercedes Lackey
8. "Runaway Jury" - John Grisham
9. "Foreigner" - C.J. Cherryh
10. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" - J.K. Rowling

Ben

BroncoInferno
03-19-2007, 08:31 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0876855575.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mtbrncofn
03-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Oh boy, it would take me some time to come up with an all time top ten. I'll be thinking on it.

alkemical
03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Right now, this moment:

1.) Prometheus rising - R. A. Wilson

2.) Tree of life - Israel Regardie

3.) Garden of Pomegrantes - Israel Regardie

4.) 1984 - Orwell

5.) AngelTech - Antero Alli

6.) At the mountains of madness - HP Lovecraft

7.) Book of Thoth - A. Crowley

8.) Alice n Wonderland

9.) Aurtherian Legend

10) MacBeth

Rohirrim
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I just finished reading The Aenead, which I'd never read before, and started thinking about Troy again, which led me to the Greeks. So, I thought I would read the Odyssey and the Iliad again, but then I realized I'd never really read the famous plays of Greece (other than Oedipus Rex), so now I've started on Sophocles and I have piled on my nightstand Euripedes, Aristophanes and Aeschylus. I'm half way through Antigone, which is the powerful story of the daughter of Oedipus whose brother was killed in battle (against his/her brother), but because that brother, Polynices, fought against Thebes, the king (Creon) has demanded that he be left to rot on the battlefield - bird food. The sister, Antigone, disobeys that order.

It's amazing to me that I am, in effect, communicating with people who lived more than 2,000 years ago; People who gave birth to the tradition of civilization I now am part of. Their ideas and stories are the basis for our traditions, our ideas of patriotism, our philosophies of law and government, of culture, of science. To me, it's mind boggling to realize that at the time of Marathon and Thermopylae, these are the plays the people were watching. These were the ideas they were discussing; What is a citizen's responsibility to the state?

Mtbrncofn
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
These aren't really in order of preference. I just couldn't do that. I'd have an aneurysm.

1. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
2. The Hobbit - Tolkien
3. Anne of Green Gables - L. Montgomery
4. This Present Darkness - Frank Piretti
5. Dragon Tears - Dean Koontz
6. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - CS. Lewis
7. The Numbers Series - Janet Evanonich
8. Frankenstein Trilogy - Dean Koontz
9. Diogenes Trilogy - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
10. Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

cbs1177
03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I am reading A History of the English-Speaking Peoples Since 1900. by andrew Roberts.

It takes off where Winston Churchhill left off in his volumes. Gotta into the first couple of chapters and it is a good read (so far) if you enjoy history sort of stuff.

A quote:"The English-speaking peoples rarely win the first battle but they equally rarely lose the subsequent war."

Odysseus
03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I am amazed at how narrowly we all tend to focus when reading and how limited we mere mortals tend to truly be. Real growth appears almost like magic given or habits and limitations as readers. We don't have the time to read 10,000 books so we have to focus on 200.

I found the book "House of Morgan" to be a fascinating study of finance. If any of you have been taking a look at the markets I would consider this a worthwhile read. There are some serious corrections overdue in the market that I would like to learn about but don't want to get caught up in the politics. I just want the facts. This book is a tough read. It kind of changed my mind about how money REALLY works. It's kind of scary to see the inside of the sausage factory.

ludo21
03-20-2007, 05:16 PM
I am reading 'Cold Fire" by Dean Koontz, so far so good.

Mtbrncofn
03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Is this the book where there's a pulse/heartbeat in the guy's head or surroundings? If it is, that is by far my least favorite Koontz book. It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't remember if that's the one.

ludo21
03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Is this the book where there's a pulse/heartbeat in the guy's head or surroundings? If it is, that is by far my least favorite Koontz book. It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't remember if that's the one.

its about a guy who somehow knows when people are going to die. So he goes all across the US to save them. Supposedly these ppl are "important" when they grow up..

A lady reporter is chasing after him now..

So i havent finished yet, so shhh if ya remember ;D

Mtbrncofn
03-20-2007, 06:50 PM
its about a guy who somehow knows when people are going to die. So he goes all across the US to save them. Supposedly these ppl are "important" when they grow up..

I can't remember, so you're in luck. ;D

No1BroncoFan
03-20-2007, 09:51 PM

That one was good, but "Watchers" is better.

Ben

Mtbrncofn
03-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Watchers was one of his best.

ludo21
03-20-2007, 11:29 PM
i cant remmber if ive read that... probably not.. I just finished his "House of Thunder" ...another solid Kontz book.

Im not a real picky reader.. ;D

Mtbrncofn
03-20-2007, 11:30 PM
House of Thunder was the very first Koontz book I read. It hooked me. It's still up there in my top 50 list. :)