PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Charles Week 4

fontaine
10-05-2017, 02:19 AM
1st Quarter
Play 1
1st and 10
We show standard I formation (FB/RB behind the QB) TE with Sanders motioning in to the right making it our 8 vs their 9.

Green/Sanders don't have much to do as the playside is to away from them. The right edge with Watson is a bit ragged who doesn't get a clean deuce block.
Leary is in position though for the combo block, sinks his hips and just trucks through his block on the DE and stops him.
I have no idea what the other DE is doing opposite of Garcia - maybe he thinks he can shoot the B gap and turn back inside but Garcia stalls him sideways taking advantage of his aggression to hustle him out wide.

Janovich gets quickly through the hole to take out the fill linebacker and Paradis does a great job of washing his guy down the line one on one with power and underneath leverage.

What makes this play is Jamal's jump cut behind Paradis. The Safety at the top of the gif reacts to Janovich coming throught the left gap while Charles jump cuts forward through the right gap and the safety is caught flat footed and it's 12 yards plus another 4 after contact.

Very simple but effective vs a 9 man look in the box with Leary/Paradis doing a good job of sustaining their blocks and Charles jump cutting through the hole as opposed to just moving sideways.

Look at Jamal's feet through that jump cut - that's explosion when his initial movement was drifting left. No wonder Joseph is excited about Charles.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lWS8aO2MXkA/WdX5ICqeEXI/AAAAAAAAFfc/azkbBSQRAksa3EC95Sl_KY-A3yODIdZvACL0BGAs/w795-d-h438-rw/JC1.gif

fontaine
10-05-2017, 02:26 AM
Play 2
1st and 10
11 personnel with Jamal offset to the left.

The initial play side is to the left with a pulling guard (garcia) who doesn't get a clean block on the right but Fowler/Taylor are there to account for the DBs.
Jamal's initial movement takes him to the left and playside but he sees the defense committing to the left and cuts it back to the right edge.

Really respect Jamal's vision once he gets past the right edge and sees the outside DB (23) coming in hard and too flat to make him miss.

The Raiders back 7 is terrible on this play with multiple DBs taking bad angles on the right allowing an easy gain for 6.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZZfdt4sRvQw/WdX6aakbqVI/AAAAAAAAFgA/VnuSwNgOVhMZsZ9sY7h_dx8yFjZkCoqIACL0BGAs/w795-d-h398-rw/JC2.gif

fontaine
10-05-2017, 02:30 AM
2nd Quarter
Play 3 (where Jamal hurt his knee)
1st and 10

Really great blocking all around.
11 personnel with Jamal offset to the right. Initial play at the snap has Paradis slanting across to the right to take out the DL.
Bolles/Garcia combine for a deuce block inside to their right, sustain their block and Garcia peels off to take out the LBer with menace. Both guys negate their blockers.
Leary pulls from right to left, at the line sinks his hips and explodes through his block to take out a LBer who just gets trucked out of the play.
Green contains his guy outside and Jamal gets to the line fast, then is patient enough to wait a split second for Leary/Bolles to clear out their guys and explodes through that gap.

Look at Jamal's balance through his jumpcut. A lot of guys can jumpcut but Jamal explodes off his jumpcut. That's what stands out about his play.

His speed through the hole is pretty smooth here and was one tackle away from a huge run.

The Raiders safety here completely gets fooled and out of position going deep for coverage and has to come back to make the tackle.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t0vROG9lbcA/WdX7io-FbqI/AAAAAAAAFgk/huxROyLLYkMO3eSJjI5fPCSFFNSpPIB-wCL0BGAs/w795-d-h398-rw/JC3.gif

fontaine
10-05-2017, 02:35 AM
Play 4
3rd and 11 screen
This is the easiest screen Jamal has seen all year.

Paradies/Barbre/Leary sell their initial blocks well then move to the 2nd level on the right where the initial formation only had one WR.

The Broncos loaded their Wideouts to the left initially so they have a very good mismatch here on the right.

Paradis/Leary combine to destroy the LBer on the right and Barbre moves through ahead to create an easy lane for Jamal who just follows Barbre for a gain of 14 on third and 11.

Great play design to overload the left side of the formation then run the screen to the right against less numbers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BTQBFu0Ium0/WdX8svHthwI/AAAAAAAAFhE/1Z2egZqZ3pocUOp6G_HopmyUke8B5WzkwCL0BGAs/w795-d-h398-rw/JC4.gif

fontaine
10-05-2017, 02:38 AM
3rd Quarter
Play 5
1st and 10
We line up with a Jumbo set, 6 OL (Stephenson), two inline TEs and Janovich.
The Raiders end up with everyone in the box. Just too many bodies even though initially the OL blocked this play well at the line (no penetration) but either Paradis/Leary can't get to the 2nd level to acount for the LBer who stays patient and fills through a gap to tackle Charles for a loss.

Not much Charles can do here.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1Y2rUejyees/WdX9beG_ZuI/AAAAAAAAFhk/NoSI41KcD9cAPidB_KXZZxksBnUGRcvKgCL0BGAs/w795-d-h398-rw/JC5.gif

fontaine
10-05-2017, 02:40 AM
Play 6
2nd and 11 (very next play)
We go back to 11 personnel with Jamal offset to the left and Derby inline on the right.

Garcia does a great job of quickly pulling left to right and gets a great clean block through his defender. Jamal takes it behind his pulling guard but Leary just misses his block at the 2nd level after he and Watson combined inside well for an ace block. Leary almost got his guy and this would have been another easy gain for 6 or 7 but we ended up getting 3.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with Charles. His talent was never in question, his health was the issue and from I've seen he looks smooth, explosive, and still has a great jumpcut at the line.

It's going to be fun watching this guy play.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r_YlrJ6K0t0/WdX9r7hcPlI/AAAAAAAAFiA/u9x9CALsf9wy6N1WqCAYhGQ1dOog-RQQACL0BGAs/w795-d-h414-rw/JC6.gif

fontaine
10-05-2017, 03:02 AM
This is the 3rd quarter CJ Anderson 43 yard run off 2nd and 2.

We line up in jumbo set with 6 OL (Stephenson) and TE surface to the right, lone WR to the left and CJ in I formation. Raiders commit 8 in the box with Karl Joseph as the strong safety who does a poor job initially of reading the play as he drops back deeper in coverage.

Interesting pin and pull block by Leary/Paradis.
Paradis fires out past the line at an angle to the right while Leary explodes off the line to pull towards the inside DT over the Center.

Not sure if there was a miscommunication in 2nd level responsibility because Paradis ends up blocking no one past the line. But that's ok because Green does a terrific job of pulling inside to block/seal the other DT and Watson gets the key block on the LBer at the 2nd level.

Green/Watson/Leary provide the key blocks here while Stephenson/Heuerman do enough on the right edge to contain their guys.

Anderson does great once past the line and makes Karl Joseph look silly on his attempted tackles and rumbles downfield for 43.

We don't do a lot of pin/pull blocking but when we do it works well.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ahwvr9kAzDk/WdYEiDx8DUI/AAAAAAAAFkE/EuL_FxSaJR0LYG7fcGHAtVUXoC-MxNkjgCL0BGAs/w795-d-h420-rw/JC8.gif

rmsanger
10-05-2017, 03:40 AM
Yep he looks great until you give him too much volume and he breaks.

We really need a shirt pitch count with him and bring him in at opportune times. Maybe like a poor mans tevin Coleman.

TonyR
10-05-2017, 06:35 AM
We really need a shirt pitch count with him and bring him in at opportune times. Maybe like a poor mans tevin Coleman.

I think about 10-12 touches would be good for him. He's averaging 9 so I'd actually like to see them use him more than they have.

socalorado
10-05-2017, 07:37 AM
Its good to see Green back to his normal run blocking self. He's become a nice blocking TE again. Watson is actually pretty good in run block.
So glad Elway went out and spent $$ on Ron Leary.
This was a great game to really get the run game going.

CEH
10-05-2017, 07:57 AM
If teams are going to allow Denver rush yards between the 20s , Charles is the best back to take it 70 but I'm sure they have him on a snap count this early in the season.

CJ breaks the LOS and goes 42. Charles breaks the LOS and may go 70.

Irish Stout
10-05-2017, 07:59 AM
Thanks Fontaine. JC looking better than CJ.

No sign yet of a need for a pitch count, but if you think the Broncos don't have him limited in action, then I don't know what games you've watched this year.

broncocalijohn
10-05-2017, 08:06 AM
It is nice Fontaine realized the Mane is perfect for him and came back.

socalorado
10-05-2017, 08:13 AM
It is nice Fontaine realized the Mane is perfect for him and came back.

Seriously. Thanks Fontaine!

The.Underdog
10-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Seriously. Thanks Fontaine!

Fontaines the best

ludo21
10-05-2017, 08:47 AM
hes been very good. Much needed surprise.

Brohemoth
10-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Charles has been a stud so far. It's kind of absurd that he is getting so few carries. CJ has out-touched him 83 to 36. I know he's not vintage Charles but he is clearly the more explosive back and equal/better in pass protection. And despite CJ's size, they are pretty comparable between the tackles. CJ is a good back but Charles is a Hall of Famer.

The split should be closer to 50/50.

Johnykbr
10-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Great post Fontaine, I'm glad to see that I'm not just imagining how well Charles is doing out there for us

4Horsemen
10-05-2017, 09:34 AM
thanks pat lafontaine always look forward to your threads.^5

do we think his touches or play count will go up as the season progresses? i don't think it will increase tremendously. if we make the playoffs, that could be a different story.

IndelibleScribe
10-05-2017, 10:02 AM
I would like to see us give him more touches in the screen game and allow him more space to make bigger plays or rather turn small plays into bigger ones.

Action
10-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Charles has been a stud so far. It's kind of absurd that he is getting so few carries. CJ has out-touched him 83 to 36. I know he's not vintage Charles but he is clearly the more explosive back and equal/better in pass protection. And despite CJ's size, they are pretty comparable between the tackles. CJ is a good back but Charles is a Hall of Famer.

The split should be closer to 50/50.

How is it absurd? Dude is coming back from knee injury with prior knee injuries.

Kaylore
10-05-2017, 10:28 AM
How is it absurd? Dude is coming back from knee injury with prior knee injuries.

And we're 3-1 and Booker is coming back.

Also, Charles banged his knee last game. Hopefully the time off helps him.

bronco militia
10-05-2017, 10:51 AM
#75 is awesome.

who knew

delany
10-05-2017, 10:58 AM
I bet his workload increases for the KC games.

He wants it. We want it.

Brohemoth
10-05-2017, 11:25 AM

True but he has gone through rehab and was cleared. The brace is off. Jamaal doesn't look winded and take himself off the field every few plays like CJ does. He's playing fresh and electric.

I'm not proposing he be a feature back, just that they split the carries more and try to help a struggling offense with the best talent on the roster.

Kaylore
10-05-2017, 11:26 AM
True but he has gone through rehab and was cleared. The brace is off. Jamaal doesn't look winded and take himself off the field every few plays like CJ does. He's playing fresh and electric.

I'm not proposing he be a feature back, just that they split the carries more and try to help a struggling offense with the best talent on the roster.

No we need to save him for later in the season. They're using him right. Until it starts costing us games, they're doing it right. I want more running in general, though.

broncosteven
10-05-2017, 11:57 AM
No we need to save him for later in the season. They're using him right. Until it starts costing us games, they're doing it right. I want more running in general, though.

I thought they could have used him more vs Oak but then he gashed his knee.

The should have given him more touches in the Bills game for sure, CJ wasn't getting it done and they needed Charles quickness and vision in that game.

I think there are games he could carry it 15 times maybe 20 total plays.

If we make the playoffs then they need to take the pitch count off.

4Horsemen
10-05-2017, 01:58 PM
I thought they could have used him more vs Oak but then he gashed his knee.

The should have given him more touches in the Bills game for sure, CJ wasn't getting it done and they needed Charles quickness and vision in that game.

I think there are games he could carry it 15 times maybe 20 total plays.

If we make the playoffs then they need to take the pitch count off.

absolutely agree with this. guy also has played the equivalent of 1/4 the games last two years, so the folks that want him to be a 20 touch a game guy i'm just not sure about that.

kappys
10-05-2017, 02:01 PM
We had the lead the entire game vs. Oakland, no need for more touches

We should have used him more in Buffalo where he was running well and CJ wasn't, especially with the bye only 2 weeks away

BroncoFox
10-05-2017, 06:14 PM
I think he should play a bit more.. and Booker.. and CJ less. I still can't see CJ managing almost 3 times more carries this year, than any year prior. His best was 176 I think.. he already has close to 80 in four games. I mean.. I'd be thrilled if he stayed healthy all year and finally broke out! But I'd rather spread the carries and have all healthy backs going into the preseason.

We need him healthy all year. If he goes out.. JC picks up most the carries? Then he has a much greater chance of getting injured.. and then we are stuck with rookies.

Enter The Dragon
10-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Thanks Fontaine, JC is very close to breaking these wide open. Youre welcome #13.

GaryPupiak
10-06-2017, 08:51 AM
CJ is the workhorse and JC should get 10 touches a game. A lot of you undervalue CJ, guy is a beast.

Booker can come off the bench if needed.

Jetmeck
10-06-2017, 09:11 AM
3 legit backs and all of us saw what henderson could be.

We loaded with receivers as well. Just like to see DT get separation and take over

these games like hes capable. Hate to say this but Sanders heart in DTs body....wow

ZONA
10-06-2017, 04:11 PM
CJ is the workhorse and JC should get 10 touches a game. A lot of you undervalue CJ, guy is a beast.

Booker can come off the bench if needed.

That's just it, CJ really isn't a workhorse. It's hard for him to stay healthy also. I know people are wanting Charles to be brought back slowly and yeah, I an agree with that, but you also have to keep in mind, you need to keep CJ fresh and healthy if you want his best late in the season.

IMO, what I think you will see the Broncos do, is to start the games with CJ where Charles continues to spell CJ and play more 3rd downs. Then I think Booker will do more of the 2nd half carries with Charles still in the same role of spelling Booker and playing the 3rd downs (but not solely limited to just 3rd downs).

That's how I see the Broncos approaching the running situation after the Bye week.