PDA

View Full Version : Run Defense.

LikeABoss5820
10-01-2017, 06:02 PM
This is pretty absurd. Teams cant run on Denver when we're in base.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliott, LeSean McCoy &amp; Marshawn Lynch combined against the Broncos' run D this season: 50 carries, 95 yards, 0 TD.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/914634093626839041?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LongDongJohnson
10-01-2017, 06:09 PM
This is pretty absurd. Teams cant run on Denver when we're in base.

This is excellent. Make teams one dimensional.

Agamemnon
10-01-2017, 06:32 PM
This one area where we have basically been perfect. Pass defense has dropped off a bit sadly.

LikeABoss5820
10-01-2017, 06:35 PM
This one area where we have basically been perfect. Pass defense has dropped off a bit sadly.

This might be due to the backs we've faced.

Gordon, Elliot, McCoy, Lynch all deserve alot of attention to stop.

Denver was still a top 10 pass D coming into today.

ColoradoDarin
10-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Wow.

Agamemnon
10-01-2017, 06:40 PM
This might be due to the backs we've faced.

Gordon, Elliot, McCoy, Lynch all deserve alot of attention to stop.

Denver was still a top 10 pass D coming into today.

Nah, we've had more blown coverages this season than all of last season. Upside is the issues seem to be mental and/or scheming. Talent-wise we still have the best pass defense in the league.

LongDongJohnson
10-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Nah, we've had more blown coverages this season than all of last season. Upside is the issues seem to be mental and/or scheming. Talent-wise we still have the best pass defense in the league.

Weíve definitely have had a lot of blown coverages. Especially with the zone stuff.

Fitzy47
10-01-2017, 06:50 PM

Plus having to rely on Shaq as the opposite rusher to Von. When Ray comes back we can get back to rotating those three rushers to keep them fresh.

LikeABoss5820
10-01-2017, 06:53 PM

This is true, and we've been running more zone this year.

socalorado
10-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think when Ray gets backs, there will be even less time for QBs, and the NoFly will really thrive.

DHallblows
10-01-2017, 07:02 PM
The issue is that when Ray comes back, the run D will suffer slightly while the pass rush will get better. I'm not sure if it will be a net increase in overall D or not ???

Samiwindr
10-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Steward flat out quit on the play today. He just pulled up for no reason - super hard to watch...

We should almost rename this team the No Run Zone...

BroncoBeavis
10-01-2017, 07:16 PM
The issue is that when Ray comes back, the run D will suffer slightly while the pass rush will get better. I'm not sure if it will be a net increase in overall D or not ???

Pass rush isn't looking all that special, look forward to see if Shane can kick it up a notch.

peacepipe
10-01-2017, 07:17 PM

Overall our defense will be better with ray. Shaq isnít taking advantage of his one on ones. Sick watching von get dbl teamed/chipped every play while shaq wastes his opportunity to show why he should be the starter.

B-Large
10-01-2017, 07:18 PM
What does it matter when Sloter is gone, and according to the mane were 0-4...

Pyrrhic Victory.

LongDongJohnson
10-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Plus having to rely on Shaq as the opposite rusher to Von. When Ray comes back we can get back to rotating those three rushers to keep them fresh.

Thatís big. Von with his his asthma could use the breathers.

footstepsfrom#27
10-01-2017, 07:25 PM
This is true, and we've been running more zone this year.

New faces at safety will make communication drop off some which should get better with more playing time but why mess with more zone coverage when man to man is this defensive secondary's strength? Conversely though, it's a better run D in zone.

maher_tyler
10-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I think when Ray gets backs, there will be even less time for QBs, and the NoFly will really thrive.

Barrett has been a beast. There is no way they can take him out. Good problem to have. Hopefully they can get creative on obvious passing downs.

bpc
10-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Woods needs to move Von around, like what we did with Karl Mecklenberg years ago. Play him inside, outside, edge, OLB, ILB. Get creative. I hate letting him sit in the same LOLB spot time and again.

peacepipe
10-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Barrett has been a beast. There is no way they can take him out. Good problem to have. Hopefully they can get creative on obvious passing downs.

Yeah there is a way to take him out as starter,and itís a no brainer. He has 1 sack in 4 games. Meanwhile von is getting chipped every play and has been getting to the QB.

GoneFishin'
10-01-2017, 07:54 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Broncos' D has faced a Pro Bowl RB in each of its first 4 games, holding those four players (12 Pro Bowls) to 50 att for 95 yds (1.9 avg).</p>&mdash; Patrick Smyth (@psmyth12) <a href="https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/914651829572558848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliott, LeSean McCoy &amp; Marshawn Lynch combined against the Broncos' run D this season: 50 carries, 95 yards, 0 TD.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/914634093626839041?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 1, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

maher_tyler
10-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Yeah there is a way to take him out as starter,and itís a no brainer. He has 1 sack in 4 games. Meanwhile von is getting chipped every play and has been getting to the QB.

He is a little underwhelming in the pass rush department but has made up for it in run defense. He's filled in pretty well. We need to remember we played two of the leagues top offensive lines.

GoneFishin'
10-01-2017, 08:26 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since 2011, just one team (2012 Dolphins) has allowed fewer rushing 1st downs through 4 games than the 2017 Broncos (9), per <a href="https://twitter.com/pfref?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@pfref</a>.</p>&mdash; Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/status/914654503403745281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since giving up 21 yards on its first snap of the season, Denverís defense has allowed just 2.2 yards per carry.</p>&mdash; Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/status/914654188243750913?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">C.J. Anderson on the success of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Broncos</a> run defense: &quot;The linebackers are playing the run completely different this year&quot;</p>&mdash; Zac Stevens (@ZacStevensBSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZacStevensBSN/status/914640511918583809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 1, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agamemnon
10-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Steward flat out quit on the play today. He just pulled up for no reason - super hard to watch...

We should almost rename this team the No Run Zone...

Huh? That was a 4.6 guy chasing a 4.4 guy. It looks like that.

GoneFishin'
10-01-2017, 08:32 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Broncos DL coach Bill Kollar continues to be one of the best 'developers' as a position coach in the NFL. Huge retaining him when Wade left.</p>&mdash; Brandon Thorn (@VeteranScout) <a href="https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status/914644226943500288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I didn't scout Gotsis out of GA tech, only watched him last year and he barely knew how to stack blocks. Big change there this season.</p>&mdash; Brandon Thorn (@VeteranScout) <a href="https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status/914643789355954178?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Had no idea DEN's run D would be what it is this year. Did not envision Gotsis becoming a starter on a unit this good. Credit Elway/Kollar.</p>&mdash; Brandon Thorn (@VeteranScout) <a href="https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status/914642989271597056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bigdawg26
10-01-2017, 08:56 PM

Right! I'm so disappointed in Demarcus Walker. He needs to go back to DE because he's not cutting it off the edge. He gets no pressure and can't set the edge in the run game.

Agamemnon
10-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Right! I'm so disappointed in Demarcus Walker. He needs to go back to DE because he's not cutting it off the edge. He gets no pressure and can't set the edge in the run game.

Save your disappointment for the retarded coaches who moved him to OLB.

bpc
10-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Can we stop using absolutes with walker? This is his rookie year. Some of you guys wrote off Gotsis during his rookie season. We screwed him taking him fromDE to OLB.

LikeABoss5820
10-01-2017, 09:17 PM
I think Walker is fine, if hes used right.

He's god awful as an OLB. Move him inside where you know he was drafted at, we arent getting pressure from our DL.

broncosteven
10-01-2017, 09:42 PM

When Ray comes back that means that Walker won't be out there during the 4th Quarter when a team is making a desperate comeback.

Quoydogs
10-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Just read an article. 203 total rushing yards for the year. Lowest ever in DB history

brncs_fan
10-01-2017, 09:53 PM
I think Walker is fine, if hes used right.

He's god awful as an OLB. Move him inside where you know he was drafted at, we arent getting pressure from our DL.

Very possible that is the plan once Ray returns. Right now they need a body at OLB and the interior is quite full at the moment (Wolfe, Peko, Gotsis, Harris)

brncs_fan
10-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Just read an article. 203 total rushing yards for the year. Lowest ever in DB history

16 or 14 games?

LikeABoss5820
10-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Very possible that is the plan once Ray returns. Right now they need a body at OLB and the interior is quite full at the moment (Wolfe, Peko, Gotsis, Harris)

Walked dropped weight to move to OLB, he's only like 250-260. He needs to get to 275-280 at least.

TonyR
10-02-2017, 07:59 AM
The NFL's biggest surprises through four weeks, and what's next (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx171002/2017-nfl-season-biggest-surprises-four-games-come-next-bill-barnwell)

The 2016 Broncos had a great defense, but it wasn't for what they did against the run. While Denver had the league's best pass defense DVOA by a country mile, the Broncos were just 21st against the run. They didn't allow many huge plays, but Wade Phillips' unit stopped just 11 percent of runs for no gain or a loss last season, the worst rate in football.

Denver subsequently overhauled its defensive line this offseason, replacing nose tackle Sylvester Williams with veteran Domata Peko while allowing the injured Vance Walker to leave. Jared Crick suffered a back injury before Week 1 that cost him his 2017 season, opening up a role in the lineup for second-year lineman Adam Gotsis, who played just 222 defensive snaps after being drafted in the second round last year.

The results have been nothing short of remarkable. Gotsis has been a useful contributor from the first moments of this season, while incumbent Derek Wolfe has played arguably the best football of his career. Broncos linebackers are shooting into gaps and flooding the line of scrimmage; opposing rushers are averaging just 1.05 yards before first contact against the Broncos, comfortably the best rate in the league. Second-place Washington is at 1.41 yards before first contact, with the league average is 2.34.

Denver's raw numbers are impressive -- they've allowed just 203 yards on 84 carries, an average of 2.4 yards per attempt -- but it's even more staggering when you consider its opposition. The Broncos have shut down Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliott, LeSean McCoy and most recently Marshawn Lynch in consecutive weeks. Lynch finished with just 12 yards on nine carries Sunday. The Broncos will head to a bye week before facing the Giants in Week 6; it's unlikely New York will put a dent in Denver's rushing numbers. Vance Joseph's run defense might not be quite this good all season, but there's no reason to think the Broncos won't be very good at shutting down opposing rushing attacks the rest of the way.

gunns
10-02-2017, 08:33 AM
I was really worried about meeting Lynch. And now terribly impressed. Loved when Del Rio went for it on 4th down and we stuffed Lynch.

ScottXray
10-02-2017, 08:35 AM
I was really worried about meeting Lynch. And now terribly impressed. Loved when Del Rio went for it on 4th down and we stuffed Lynch.

Lynch is not All that anymore. Beast mode is more like Bitch mode so far this year.

2KBack
10-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Lynch is not All that anymore. Beast mode is more like b**** mode so far this year.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3ohhwvT4qqaoEkfaFy/giphy.gif

Kharma is a bitch

ColoradoDarin
10-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Least Mode

Quoydogs
10-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Lynch is not All that anymore. Beast mode is more like b**** mode so far this year.

Funny I've been hearing this kind of statement for everyone we have played. Why not just say WE ****ING ROCK.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Save your disappointment for the retarded coaches who moved him to OLB.

I'll still never understand this.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-02-2017, 10:07 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3ohhwvT4qqaoEkfaFy/giphy.gif

Kharma is a b****

This isn't really a reference to this comment (i know its just a saying), but I wish people would retire "karma"

broncosteven
10-02-2017, 12:36 PM
I saw an article on the NFLN App that said Woods is loading up the box and allowing his great CB's to play one on one. They are trying to take the run away 1st. Trying to make teams one dimensional so that they have to pass and he can get let Von attack. It should be better when they can rotate Ray in instead of Walker who isn't a rush OLB. Not sure why they took that dude and then moved him from his natural position but that is another thread.

I like it against the tough runners but hope he switches it up as the season goes on as passing teams will just come out and throw it early.

We still have a SB caliber D. Just need a RT on the O and we would be set.

TonyR
07-19-2018, 05:00 PM
NFL run-defense rankings: All 32 teams entering 2018 (http://https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-run-defense-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018)

Broncos ranked #2.

Old Coyote
07-20-2018, 04:06 AM
NFL run-defense rankings: All 32 teams entering 2018 (http://https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-run-defense-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018)

Broncos ranked #2.

Ware teaching Chubb is going to see teams backed into choosing the run. ^5

2KBack
07-20-2018, 06:33 AM
Ware teaching Chubb is going to see teams backed into choosing the run. ^5

Based on that interview with his coach in college, Chubb might actually be a better run defender than puss rusher. We got a complete package.

snowtrx
07-20-2018, 06:53 AM
Based on that interview with his coach in college, Chubb might actually be a better run defender than puss rusher. We got a complete package.

I've been telling my friends since drafted, the NFL has never seen an edge D like the Broncos will have. It's going to be very interesting to see what offenses do when they learn they can't run left, can't run right, and you have to get rid of the ball in under 2.5 seconds. All from the same base D personal.

pricejj
07-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Replacing Sly Williams with Domata Peko paid massive dividends. Shelby Harris emergence, with Gotsis leading DL in snaps, effectively replaced Malik Jackson's production.

Defense could be elite if Roby steps up.

underrated29
07-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Replacing Sly Williams with Domata Peko paid massive dividends. Shelby Harris emergence, with Gotsis leading DL in snaps, effectively replaced Malik Jackson's production.

Defense could be elite if Roby steps up.

Harris is a man beast. And dont forget Waker who imo is better than all of those, even malik, is now back to his normal position. He could/should/hopefully will be able to really collapse and inside swim his way to the QB.

pricejj
07-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Harris is a man beast. And dont forget Waker who imo is better than all of those, even malik, is now back to his normal position. He could/should/hopefully will be able to really collapse and inside swim his way to the QB.

Yep. Need constant interior DL penetration.

gunns
07-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Our run D in 2016 was awful, at the bottom of the stat pile. Improved drastically last year. Who was the player that made such a drastic change. I'm thinking Harris, love the guy. Or was it more than one?

Quoydogs
07-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Our run D in 2016 was awful, at the bottom of the stat pile. Improved drastically last year. Who was the player that made such a drastic change. I'm thinking Harris, love the guy. Or was it more than one?
Peko

gunns
07-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Peko

Really? I kind of thought he was part of it but was more impressed with Harris.

pricejj
07-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Shelby Harris wasn't even a starter in Base Defense until Wolfe went down. Gotsis was the starter at RDE.

Drunk Monkey
07-20-2018, 12:36 PM
I've been telling my friends since drafted, the NFL has never seen an edge D like the Broncos will have. It's going to be very interesting to see what offenses do when they learn they can't run left, can't run right, and you have to get rid of the ball in under 2.5 seconds. All from the same base D personal.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/02575df975100f1fb62c951f6bd1380f/tenor.gif?itemid=5098034

Mountain Bronco
07-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Peko

It was obvious Peko was fantastic at stopping the run. Needs to collapse the pocket more on passing downs or subbed out.

Old Coyote
07-20-2018, 10:28 PM

:thumbs:

Old Coyote
07-20-2018, 10:39 PM
It was obvious Peko was fantastic at stopping the run. Needs to collapse the pocket more on passing downs or subbed out.

Peko is a warrior. I love him being in Denver. Wish he was a Bronco his whole career.