PDA

View Full Version : Best food you've ever had

Bronc0guy
08-08-2016, 11:05 PM
For me it's Pecan Lodge in Dallas.

Bout to go on a mini vacation to a few states, figured I'd ask.

pricejj
08-08-2016, 11:29 PM
http://images1.westword.com/imager/how-to-survive-casa-bonita-the-worlds-we/u/original/6473076/casa_bonita.jpg

broncocalijohn
08-08-2016, 11:53 PM
Pink Tacos, hands down from the sushi bar.

ZONA
08-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Really tough to pick just 1 favorite dish. But I would recommend these to anybody.

crablegs (Woodhouse Fish Company - San Franciso)
sushi (Taka Sushi - San Diego)
seabass with lobster mash potatoes (Ocean Club - Scottsdale)
filet minion (Donovan's Steak & Chop House - Phoenix)
chicken bryan (Carrabba's - anywhere)

OBF1
08-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Rack of Lamb at the Briarhurst Manor in Manitou Springs. I am not sure if the new owners make it like the old owner/chef Sigi Krauss who sold the restaurant back in 1999/2000.

Best dinner I have had anywhere in the world. Sigi had cooked for Presidents, Prime ministers and many other famous people around the world.

rmsanger
08-09-2016, 04:24 AM

This

Glad you don't start with the pupu platter. :afro:

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 05:16 AM
At the end of basic training in Texas we had a city pass. My pops took me to this steakhouse whose name escapes me but I had hands-down the greatest (32 oz) rare porterhouse a man could ever dream of. My judgment might have been clouded from being starved for a month and a half though

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 05:17 AM
This

Glad you don't start with the pupu platter. :afro:

Dont disregard the pupu platter so easily. If the kitchen is clean, indulge

underrated29
08-09-2016, 05:48 AM
Shashlyk.
My hands down all time favorite

SleepingTiger
08-09-2016, 05:49 AM
At the end of basic training in Texas we had a city pass. My pops took me to this steakhouse whose name escapes me but I had hands-down the greatest (32 oz) rare porterhouse a man could ever dream of. My judgment might have been clouded from being starved for a month and a half though

are you kidding me, i ate like a madman. in 3 minutes, i could take in 2 hamburgers, fries, 3 waters and still have enough time to go get soda and some fruit and desert.

SleepingTiger
08-09-2016, 05:58 AM
Best place i ever ate was my house. 10lbs of 4 to 5 count shrimp, 10lbs of conch all on the grill. Then we had 30lbs of extra large crawfish. All served with ice cold heinnys. Enjoyed with friends and family.

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 06:08 AM
are you kidding me, i ate like a madman. in 3 minutes, i could take in 2 hamburgers, fries, 3 waters and still have enough time to go get soda and some fruit and desert.

Oh I believe you. After that two pound steak with fries though I went into a food coma. My parents were all talkin to me about wanting to go see the Alamo and **** I'm like nahh take me to your hotel and let me sleep

SleepingTiger
08-09-2016, 06:11 AM
Oh I believe you. After that two pound steak with fries though I went into a food coma. My parents were all talkin to me about wanting to go see the Alamo and **** I'm like nahh take me to your hotel and let me sleep

Oh yeah, my sister took me to red lobster. After, i told them i wanted to go back to their hotel. hell no i want to walk around town in my dress blues. Always on your guard for officers to salute.

Willynowei
08-09-2016, 06:13 AM
If I had one last meal it would be a proper Porterhouse (always wet aged, dry aged is for idiots), and a glass of red wine (Cab, Napa).

Second place goes to properly made Foie Gras.

Third place goes to vertical steamed Chinese razor clams - best seafood I'd ever had. I tried it once in China and I could never find that place again...

Honorable mentions: Chillean Sea Bass, Escargot (Asian or French style), a proper Rack of Lamb, Mini Lobster tails, a proper Filet Mignon, Drunken/Alcoholic Softshell crab, salt water Eel, Braised Porkbelly (1 pound square cut of bacon slow roasted for 6 hours), Spanish Paella, Italian Seafood Carpaccio, Raw Kobe Beef salad, Fried Snake, Fried Chicken, Pork Shoulder - all kinds (smoked, BBQ, braised, etc), Ribs (BBQ or Smoked).

OABB
08-09-2016, 06:13 AM
I cried at nobu in Manhattan once. Literally cried it was so good.

Requiem
08-09-2016, 06:17 AM
My grandma's fried chicken.

qbronco
08-09-2016, 06:24 AM
I don't know about all the fancy food you guys are writing about. A nicely grilled Ribeye and a cold beer is about the best meal there is for me.

Meck77
08-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Fresh elk tenderloin slightly seared with butter salt and pepper. Side of brookies from the creek along with some Shepard's pie. Some ice cold beers. Some people hate elk hunters. That's fine with me.

rmsanger
08-09-2016, 06:31 AM
This

http://cdn.thomaskeller.com/sites/default/files/styles/2_3_screen/public/media/franchises/interior_exterior_images/tk.com_tfl_reservations.make_.2.jpg?itok=NJUbAjbD

69bronco
08-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Fresh elk tenderloin slightly seared with butter salt and pepper. Side of brookies from the creek along with some Shepard's pie. Some ice cold beers. Some people hate elk hunters. That's fine with me.

Yep.

Fresh elk backstraps off of an elk that I packed out all day with some ice cold beers out of the cooler is hands down the best meal I've ever had. A grouse on the side is good too.

Meck77
08-09-2016, 07:00 AM
Yep.

Fresh elk backstraps off of an elk that I packed out all day with some ice cold beers out of the cooler is hands down the best meal I've ever had. A grouse on the side is good too.

I hunted with a guy from a small town outside of steamboat years ago. His dad was a varmit hunter and this guy was like a modern day Dundee Colorado style. lol We cold camped 3rd season. Built our own camp out of a couple tarps and we brought in a little steel fire ring and stove pipe. We only had what we could pack in on our backs for 7 days. We did hike out for more booze once.

Anyway We hiked up a log road for hours to get to some dark timber of the north face . We finally get there and I called him "tombo" instead of Rambo decides to start hunting grouse with rocks. He actually tagged one, dives on the thing and rings it's neck. Even tossed a couple knives during the chase. Meanwhile he scares a huge heard of elk. They are jumping around us like rabbits. We only had bull tags and only saw the rear of a huge bull run off. We did have grouse that night. Lol

TheRationalist
08-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Dont disregard the pupu platter so easily. If the kitchen is clean, indulge

Wow. Hahaha.

SleepingTiger
08-09-2016, 07:22 AM
This

http://cdn.thomaskeller.com/sites/default/files/styles/2_3_screen/public/media/franchises/interior_exterior_images/tk.com_tfl_reservations.make_.2.jpg?itok=NJUbAjbD

I had a chance to get there when I lived in the bay area. I called for a reservation and they had an opening in a month. I think my coworker who did the wine tasting trip in Sonoma Valley tried to get a reservation there and they said it was a 3 month wait. I just couldn't justify a $1000 meal for two. I know chef Keller is a top 5 chef in the world, $1000 is still a $1000.

How many courses did chef Keller serve up? What wines did you have?

Rabb
08-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Probably the souls and tears of Patriot and Steeler fans this last year.

SleepingTiger
08-09-2016, 07:32 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/xinwc.jpg

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 07:41 AM

Hey man, I didn't cry. Wasn't even top 5 most painful losses of the Brady-BB era. Surprisingly, for as much of a blowout win as I expected the Pats to have, I was kinda "meh" about it thanks to SB 49. You'll know what I mean when Denver loses in the wildcard round this year.

maven
08-09-2016, 08:13 AM
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54368b33e4b03e07f79804c0/t/554e7e6de4b0c12e5ca64b22/1431207547295/

ColoradoDarin
08-09-2016, 08:19 AM

Tears of Pats* fans maybe, because we all know that they don't have souls....

Rabb
08-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Tears of Pats* fans maybe, because we all know that they don't have souls....

^5

I have him on iggy, but I have no doubt the degenerate a couple posts above is proving my point.

Agamemnon
08-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Real Italian food. Nothing beats it.

Das Rote Baron
08-09-2016, 08:52 AM
French Laundry 1993, before the book came out. 7 courses back then was $200ish with wine. Mind blowing. Ate there again 2 years ago, meh. The fried chicken at Kellers Ad Hoc was awesome. Best recent was dinner at O Ya in BOS, incredible!

If I had one last meal it would be a proper Porterhouse (always wet aged, dry aged is for idiots)

Sorry but if you buy "wet aged" beef you're an idiot. All beef should be aged, wet or dry for a minimum of 2 weeks but after that paying a premium for "wet aged" beef is just dumb. Porterhouse is also a ripoff, paying for the bone?

chicken bryan (Carrabba's - anywhere)

This has to be a joke.

v2micca
08-09-2016, 09:01 AM
http://images1.westword.com/imager/how-to-survive-casa-bonita-the-worlds-we/u/original/6473076/casa_bonita.jpg

I suck at picking up non-verbal queues in person, and that lack of ability is only compounded by the internet. But, I'm assuming your reply was meant to be facetious or ironic.

TheRationalist
08-09-2016, 09:12 AM
I suck at picking up non-verbal queues in person, and that lack of ability is only compounded by the internet. But, I'm assuming your reply was meant to be facetious or ironic.

What do you have against the food at Casa Bonita?

The enchiladas wrapped in a crumbly/lumpy corn tortilla, gristly meat that I can only assume came from a dog, smothered in what looks/tastes like velveeta.

What's not to love?

DHallblows
08-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Slanted Door-San Francisco

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Just about anywhere in Louisiana. There was this little Italian creole place down the street from my place called Cascio's. Incredible. Best red gravy (creole spaghetti sauce) I've ever had.

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Real Italian food. Nothing beats it.

You know that's a good point. I went to the north end in Boston over here for valentine's day with my girl. Went to this place called Al Dente and it was probably the best italian dish I've ever had. Tortellini bolognese. Girlfriend had lasagna and fortunately for me she never finishes her food so I got to eat both of our plates lol

broncocalijohn
08-09-2016, 09:38 AM
You know that's a good point. I went to the north end in Boston over here for valentine's day with my girl. Went to this place called Al Dente and it was probably the best italian dish I've ever had. Tortellini bolognese. Girlfriend had lasagna and fortunately for me she never finishes her food so I got to eat both of our plates lol

Put a ring on her finger and watch that change. She is only keeping her figure down to fit into that wedding dress.

Drunk Monkey
08-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Manhattan to start followed by Lobster bisque followed by a bone in Ribeye with a nice Shiraz at Three Forks in Dallas. So freaking good.

Br0nc0Buster
08-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Had a ribeye in North Dakota of all places not too long ago.
Maybe the best steak I have ever had.

Can't remember the name of the place.
It's North Dakota though, there are only like 8 restaurants

ghwk
08-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Denny's Grand Slam at 2:00 a.m. after heavy drinking and dancing.

rmsanger
08-09-2016, 10:16 AM
I had a chance to get there when I lived in the bay area. I called for a reservation and they had an opening in a month. I think my coworker who did the wine tasting trip in Sonoma Valley tried to get a reservation there and they said it was a 3 month wait. I just couldn't justify a $1000 meal for two. I know chef Keller is a top 5 chef in the world, $1000 is still a $1000.

How many courses did chef Keller serve up? What wines did you have?

I went in 2010 when we I got married and did a quick trip to Napa/sonoma/SF. My aunt/uncle live in the bay area and gave us their reservation. I think fully loaded for 2 of us it was well under $1k for the chef's tasting menu + wine for 9 courses.

I didn't save the menu but wish I would have thought of it at the time. I do remember a cassoulet, lamb, and duck dishes being the highlights.

Gort
08-09-2016, 10:17 AM

first, i have to say that i hope you die in a fire because you're a Pats* fan.

now that such formalities are out of the way...

go to any big city with a large, old Italian immigrant population. find a corner Italian deli/grocery store. have them make you a cold cut sub (hero/hoagie) or whatever sandwich you prefer.

cheap, fresh, and 1000x better than anything from Subway or Jimmy Johns or other franchise sandwich shops.

Buffsroam
08-09-2016, 10:44 AM
My favorites are in California. The Ranch House in Ojai. The first time I had escargot. They only had four main dishes each night. It changed from day to day. The menu was a on page. Their wine list was a book.

The second one in the Inn of the Seventh Ray in Topanga, Ca. A very interesting place. You sit outside on a series of decks over a dry creek. There are coyotes running through the creek. The food is great as well.

Rabb
08-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Alberto's carne asada burrito. It's the one thing I miss the most from my time in San Diego. At 2 AM, trashed...there is no other.

broncocalijohn
08-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Alberto's carne asada burrito. It's the one thing I miss the most from my time in San Diego. At 2 AM, trashed...there is no other.

Sure there is. You have their family members restaurantso all over the Southland. Rigobertos, Alertos, Alebertos and any other combo.

Pony Boy
08-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Sunset dinner with my wife at Mama's Fish House in Maui, the fish is so fresh they put the fisherman's name on the menue. Awesome service with incredible drinks and macadamia nut pie for desert.

Rabb
08-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Sure there is. You have their family members restaurantso all over the Southland. Rigobertos, Alertos, Alebertos and any other combo.

Well, of course...my point stands though. How about this, a carne asada burrito from any of la familia's fine establishments?

RepentWalpurgis
08-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Used to go to a great country French place in far Northwest suburban Chicago called Le Vichyssoise. So great.

Buffsroam
08-09-2016, 11:07 AM

Alberto's is good. I have been there many times in the same condition and after midnight. I also liked Juanitas Taco Shop in Encinitas.

RepentWalpurgis
08-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Fidel's Norte

SleepingTiger
08-09-2016, 11:12 AM
I went in 2010 when we I got married and did a quick trip to Napa/sonoma/SF. My aunt/uncle live in the bay area and gave us their reservation. I think fully loaded for 2 of us it was well under $1k for the chef's tasting menu + wine for 9 courses.

I didn't save the menu but wish I would have thought of it at the time. I do remember a cassoulet, lamb, and duck dishes being the highlights.

Its impossible now to be under 1K with wine. Just a bottle of wine will set you back $300. As with any food tasting, servers will recommend different wines for different courses. The wine compliments the food. I just wished I went when I had a chance.

I saw a video of chef Keller tasting different types of beluga caviar. He was opening up can after can looking for the best tasting can to serve. It was incredible. We are talking a 4oz can could cost up to $1000. And he was trying one after another. Each spoon he took was like $50. LOL Dont get me wrong, i have never bought it and never will. Just hearing stories and what I read online.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-09-2016, 11:16 AM
So far this year...

Steamed Dumplings at Din Tai Fung, Taipei, Taiwan.
Sichuan soup at The Old Sichuan, Taipei, Taiwan.
Kung Pao Chicken at Trader's Hotel, Yangon, Burma.
Massaman Gai, Eight Thonglor, Bangkok, Thailand.
Khmer Curry, Temple Bar, Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Fish Chermoula, Al Sarab Rooftop Lounge, Dubai, UAE.
Pulled yellow curry chicken with 5-spicesmayonaise and apple-raisincompote, Cobra Cafe Museumplein, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Pizza Parma, Restaurant Unterschweinstiege, Steigenberger Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany
Stir fried orange chicken, Chin Chin, West Hollywood, CA, USA.

ColoradoDarin
08-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Father in Law took us to The Chef and The Farmer last year for our anniversary, crazy good food. They have a TV show on PBS about it - A Chef's Life (http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/a-chefs-life/). Kinston, NC of all places....

Beantown Bronco
08-09-2016, 11:22 AM

I go there often. Their lasagna is the best I've ever had.

ZONA
08-09-2016, 11:24 AM
French Laundry 1993, before the book came out. 7 courses back then was $200ish with wine. Mind blowing. Ate there again 2 years ago, meh. The fried chicken at Kellers Ad Hoc was awesome. Best recent was dinner at O Ya in BOS, incredible!

Sorry but if you buy "wet aged" beef you're an idiot. All beef should be aged, wet or dry for a minimum of 2 weeks but after that paying a premium for "wet aged" beef is just dumb. Porterhouse is also a ripoff, paying for the bone?

This has to be a joke.

Sorry to burst your little super chef bubble but Chicken Bryan is a very tasty dish. You've probably never even had it and if you did, then you're just way too stuck on yourself or you've been fed caviar since you were an infant. Hilarious!

gyldenlove
08-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Tempura tasting menu at Tsunahachi in Shinjuku - the scallop was dipped in cocaine or something because it released all the dopamine
Kobe steak in Kyoto
Duck breast with broccoli and applecidervinegar sauce at Hotel SakskÝbing
Smoked quail eggs at Noma

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 12:00 PM
I go there often. Their lasagna is the best I've ever had.

I've been dying to go back too. But I keep blowing my money on dive bars instead like the POS I am

Das Rote Baron
08-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Sorry to burst your little super chef bubble but Chicken Bryan is a very tasty dish. You've probably never even had it and if you did, then you're just way too stuck on yourself or you've been fed caviar since you were an infant. Hilarious!

If a frozen chicken dish from a chain restaurant made my top 5 list I'd be embarrassed. I've had unbelievable fried chicken from a dive in Charleston, incredible carnitas from a trailer in Houston and killer BBQ from a shotgun shack on a back road in Tennesee. I enjoy food that is well made and it doesn't need to be expensive. I would go out of my way to find great food, but you are right I avoid crappy chain food at all costs. If you cared about food, I bet you could find a hole in the wall within 10 miles of Carrabas that served better chicken than "chef" Bryan. Be adventurous and spread your wings a little.

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 12:06 PM
If a frozen chicken dish from a chain restaurant made my top 5 list I'd be embarrassed. I've had unbelievable fried chicken from a dive in Charleston, incredible carnitas from a trailer in Houston and killer BBQ from a shotgun shack on a back road in Tennesee. I enjoy food that is well made and it doesn't need to be expensive. I would go out of my way to find great food, but you are right I avoid crappy chain food at all costs. If you cared about food, I bet you could find a hole in the wall within 10 miles of Carrabas that served better chicken than "chef" Bryan. Be adventurous and spread your wings a little.

I am gonna be completely honest here. I have never in my life eaten a taco as good as a taco bell taco. There. I said it. Nothing has ever topped a crunchwrap supreme for me. Sunset Cantina on comm ave has some amazing burritos, but other than that, throw me in with the chain restaurants. Crunchwrap supreme from taco bell (I haven't even had a chance to try that double decker one hnnnggggg I've gained 5 pounds just thinking of it) is definitely top 5 for me

Bronx33
08-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Cafe jordanos ( italian) in lakewood ( it's hidden treasure) get there early.

broncocalijohn
08-09-2016, 12:08 PM
I am gonna be completely honest here. I have never in my life eaten a taco as good as a taco bell taco. There. I said it. Nothing has ever topped a crunchwrap supreme for me. Sunset Cantina on comm ave has some amazing burritos, but other than that, throw me in with the chain restaurants. Crunchwrap supreme from taco bell (I haven't even had a chance to try that double decker one hnnnggggg I've gained 5 pounds just thinking of it) is definitely top 5 for me

I liked the crunch wrap but take that idea and send it to a legit restaurant and I am sure you would love the meat compared to Taco Bell.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Guy's Lolo Creek Steakhouse in Lolo, Montana.

broncocalijohn
08-09-2016, 12:09 PM
I've been dying to go back too. But I keep blowing my money on dive bars instead like the POS I am

I like your honesty. Now you know how we felt about you this whole time! :yayaya:

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 12:12 PM
I liked the crunch wrap but take that idea and send it to a legit restaurant and I am sure you would love the meat compared to Taco Bell.

What, and feel good and confident about what I eat? The added risk makes the Crunchwrap Experience what it is

Aztec Bronco
08-09-2016, 12:20 PM
I think about The Hitching Post a lot. Amazing steaks.

Br0nc0Buster
08-09-2016, 12:22 PM
The best barbeque you will eat is in a gas station in Kansas City

Aztec Bronco
08-09-2016, 12:23 PM
The Mexican food in San Diego might be the #1 reason I'm excited to go back to school in a couple weeks. Cali burritos, carne asada fries...sooooo good

Archer81
08-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Celviche(sp) in Louisville, Kentucky. Pretty damn good. Or tacos. Whenever I can get them. Or green chili.

:Broncos:

bronco militia
08-09-2016, 12:26 PM
i think i can hear A Defiant Goose getting fatter.

Rabb
The Mexican food in San Diego might be the #1 reason I'm excited to go back to school in a couple weeks. Cali burritos, carne asada fries...sooooo good

Yeah man, I loved the weather and the food...miss them both for sure.

Das Rote Baron

Sad statement you made there but food opinions are like orgasms, mines important and I don't care if you have one.

Boston is not a hot bed for Mexican or Tex-Mex but has made strides recently. If you get tired of fast food Mex check out any of these.....

http://boston.eater.com/maps/16-best-tacos-boston

A Defiant Goose
08-09-2016, 12:38 PM
i think i can hear A Defiant Goose getting fatter.

That was the sound of one of my shirt buttons popping off

bronco militia
08-09-2016, 12:42 PM
That was the sound of one of my shirt buttons popping off

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AMpRIefpEKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archer81
08-09-2016, 12:43 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/7gLvOM43aJM1G/giphy.gif

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Anyone ever had snapping turtle before? Turtle soup is probably my favorite Louisiana dish. Do any asian markets in Denver sell it? Would love to get my hands on some.

bronco militia
08-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Anyone ever had snapping turtle before? Turtle soup is probably my favorite Louisiana dish. Do any asian markets in Denver sell it? Would love to get my hands on some.

ask Dongcasual....you know he has a few recipes :~ohyah!:

MOCRUSH
08-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Two thumbs up:thumbs::thumbs:, unless you lose one catching the damn turtle.

Carmelo15
08-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Your favorite team is the Patriots and Your favorite taco of all time is from Taco Bell? No shyt?...hmmmph

itswutz4dinna
08-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Best place i ever ate was my house. 10lbs of 4 to 5 count shrimp, 10lbs of conch all on the grill. Then we had 30lbs of extra large crawfish. All served with ice cold heinnys. Enjoyed with friends and family.

The lack of Blue Velvet in this thread is disheartening.

Seriously though, Heineken is awful and probably ruined your otherwise great-sounding meal. I'd probably agree with Dennis Hopper on this one, although obviously a nice IRS or other good craft beer would be preferred.

huh??
08-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Although there's a bunch of great places, this one came to mind.
http://blog.elixirdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Gotts_sthelena.jpg

A wonderful rendition of roadside Americana, with a Napa vibe.
They have a few locations, but the charm is in Napa/St. Helena, CA.

http://gotts.com/home

Archer81
08-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Had time to think about this now.

Best sandwich shop I ever went to was called the Red Onion in Library, PA. Not sure its even there anymore...but they made great turkey subs.

Best Mexican was actually this hole in the wall in Florence, Colorado. Conyo's. Fantastic food. They were open for 40 years, then the owner's daughter took over went crazy and it shut down.

Best Italian was made by my grandmother. Home made everything. Entire house full of pasta and ravioli. Pretty sure they do not make it that way anymore. Sauce simmering for 2 days. Good times.

itswutz4dinna
08-09-2016, 05:14 PM

Wow, I had always heard that bone-in steaks taste better, but upon my first actual research I have discovered this is actually a myth.

The only difference is the meat near the bone is a little less cooked, so I may still prefer this on a rib steak since it should be cooked to medium. But since a porterhouse is medium rare, the even rarer meat by the bone is unnecessary for me.

My biggest problem with the porterhouse, though, is that it doesn't contain the best cut of steak, the ribeye. I'll go for the tenderness of a filet occasionally, but to me a New York strip is just a waste of stomach space.

Bronx33
08-09-2016, 05:29 PM
The only reason they wet age beef is the fact it doesn't lose any weight during the process ( more money for the seller) and its a sub par flavor its a good idea to find out how your meat is aged, dry aged is a time tested method hands down.

USMCBladerunner
08-09-2016, 07:16 PM
I hunted with a guy from a small town outside of steamboat years ago. His dad was a varmit hunter and this guy was like a modern day Dundee Colorado style. lol We cold camped 3rd season. Built our own camp out of a couple tarps and we brought in a little steel fire ring and stove pipe. We only had what we could pack in on our backs for 7 days. We did hike out for more booze once.

Anyway We hiked up a log road for hours to get to some dark timber of the north face . We finally get there and I called him "tombo" instead of Rambo decides to start hunting grouse with rocks. He actually tagged one, dives on the thing and rings it's neck. Even tossed a couple knives during the chase. Meanwhile he scares a huge heard of elk. They are jumping around us like rabbits. We only had bull tags and only saw the rear of a huge bull run off. We did have grouse that night. Lol

Spruce grouse are dumber than a bag of hammers. They are fun to go after with rocks...lol

Tombstone RJ
08-09-2016, 07:37 PM
I love some good sushi and good Japanese cousin. I can eat that stuff all day long...

ghwk
08-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Sunset dinner with my wife at Mama's Fish House in Maui, the fish is so fresh they put the fisherman's name on the menue. Awesome service with incredible drinks and macadamia nut pie for desert.

That place has been incredible for at least 20 years now.

ghwk
08-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Coolest thing about this thread is no arguement so and just a ton of great places you all make me want to eat.

There is something though about the first time you have a dish you have never had and it stands out as a holy experience. Certainly better than my first attempt at sex.

It was at T'aunt (sp) Louise in Denver in the 70's and it was the perfect filet mignon with Hollandaise sauce. After several failed filet mignons at other supposedly good places in Denver ( including my first experience of my dad sending it back at one place because it was a crappy cut of meat) they got it perfectly. I had never tasted anything so good. The same with escargot there, although admittedly you really can't screw something up when it's drenched in garlic butter.

ak1971
08-09-2016, 08:12 PM
There was a pizza place called Mikes Pizza at 28th and Sable in Aurora, not sure if it was just because it was when I was young, but I still remember it as the best pizza I have ever had.

AlaskaMagnum
08-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Rosebud cafe in little Italy in Chicago, world famous Italian American cuisine. Chef K Paul's in New Orleans, not sure how it is now that he died. Amarone wine with piemontese beef from the Alps near Canavese Italy, maybe a black truffle as well. Any real Italian cured salami, not the crap made here. Cassoulet and a duck confit with a burgundy. A German sausage from a cart with real mustard and an ale during Oktoberfest in germany. The dude who likes Taco Bell needs to come on a trip with me.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Best Italian was made by my grandmother. Home made everything. Entire house full of pasta and ravioli. Pretty sure they do not make it that way anymore. Sauce simmering for 2 days. Good times.

My dad's creole sauce simmers for about a day. ****ing incredible.

Offtopic: Your handle/avy finally have me watching Archer. Love it!

JPPT1974
08-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Any kind of steak is great! No matter who cooks it!

Cito Pelon
08-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Fresh caught brook trout (which is a salmon species) and fried taters. When I say fresh I mean cooked within seconds of being caught. That's a tasty meal.

There's a SoCal-style taco shop in Denver by Federal and Evans by the Walmart. Good food, carne asada, machaca, horchata, they have a good menu.

Los Broncos
08-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Mexican food. Anywhere in Southern California.

Cito Pelon
08-09-2016, 09:41 PM
I like me some gyros shops also, they have some good food. There's one on S Broadway in Denver, one on S University. A good BBQ takeout place is Winston Hill's on Arapahoe Road.

ghwk
08-09-2016, 10:10 PM
This Thai food truck North Shore Oahu

A Defiant Goose
08-10-2016, 05:18 AM
I love some good sushi and good Japanese cousin. I can eat that stuff all day long...

I'm personally not a fan of human but I could eat sushi for days. It's not my favorite but the Idaho roll is a pretty surprisingly good roll. Think its fried sweet potato or something

SleepingTiger
08-10-2016, 05:30 AM
The lack of Blue Velvet in this thread is disheartening.

Seriously though, Heineken is awful and probably ruined your otherwise great-sounding meal. I'd probably agree with Dennis Hopper on this one, although obviously a nice IRS or other good craft beer would be preferred.

i never got into micro breweries or any of exotic beers. The taste is just either way out there or its too different. I can drink Miller lite and heinny all day long. Sometimes when I go to a bar, I would ask if they had apple cider, bass ale, abita purple haze and guiness. That is about as extreme as I go. The beer I can never drink is wheat beer. How anyone likes the taste of wheat beer is beyond me.

A Defiant Goose
08-10-2016, 05:47 AM
i never got into micro breweries or any of exotic beers. The taste is just either way out there or its too different. I can drink Miller lite and heinny all day long. Sometimes when I go to a bar, I would ask if they had apple cider, bass ale, abita purple haze and guiness. That is about as extreme as I go. The beer I can never drink is wheat beer. How anyone likes the taste of wheat beer is beyond me.

Man I was right with you on the Miller Lite and Heineken, those are my go-to f*** around at the bar beers. Yuengling too. But I loooove me a good wheat beer. Maybe not if I'm gonna be out all night, but if it's at a steakhouse or something a good Hefeweizen is :thumbs:

Willynowei
08-10-2016, 05:55 AM

Clearly you don't know a damn thing about steak.

1.) You don't pay a premium for wet aged beef. Steakhouses like Peter Lugers charge significantly more for dry aged beef, which is inferior and more expensive per ounce. Wet aged beef is heavier, but it's almost always less expensive at steakhouses because the process to dry age beef takes up more space.

2.) I age beef myself when I make it at home but if we are talking about a last meal it's going to be at a steakhouse. Steak is one of the few things that restaurants can do better than you can do at home because of the heat generated on the professional broiler.

3.) Bone-in cuts with the fat and tendons associated helps maintain tenderness throughout the cooking process. Buying Steak without the bone-in? Are you ****ing serious? The entire POINT of the porterhouse is balancing the cooking process between the tenderloin and the strip steak sirloin on the other side.

Oh, and by the way? Not all beef should be aged, you ****ing numbskull. Should I age Kobe beef 2 weeks before I serve it up raw?

Get out of this thread before you embarrass yourself more.

AlaskaMagnum
08-10-2016, 07:15 AM

1.) You don't pay a premium for wet aged beef. Steakhouses like Peter Lugers charge significantly more for dry aged beef, which is inferior and more expensive per ounce. Wet aged beef is heavier, but it's almost always less expensive at steakhouses because the process to dry age beef takes up more space.

2.) I age beef myself when I make it at home but if we are talking about a last meal it's going to be at a steakhouse. Steak is one of the few things that restaurants can do better than you can do at home because of the heat generated on the professional broiler.

3.) Bone-in cuts with the fat and tendons associated helps maintain tenderness throughout the cooking process. Buying Steak without the bone-in? Are you ****ing serious? The entire POINT of the porterhouse is balancing the cooking process between the tenderloin and the strip steak sirloin on the other side.

Oh, and by the way? Not all beef should be aged, you ****ing numbskull. Should I age Kobe beef 2 weeks before I serve it up raw?

My great great grandfather,great grandfather, grandfather, father and now me are/were norcini, butchers who specialize in dry curing meat. Our tradition is 2000 years old and can be traced to the Roman rules for raising and butchering pork. You are correct, dry aging reduces water content in the muscle, thus intensifies the flavor. It is why a simple salt cured pancetta is more intense than a wet cured bacon even though bacon has additional flavor added via cold smoking.

I think wet aging is a scam and I can see no real purpose other than parting people with their money.

Requiem
08-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Steak fight!

Gort
08-10-2016, 08:34 AM

well, that escalated...

http://i.imgur.com/24h9x.gif

A Defiant Goose
08-10-2016, 08:45 AM
You morons keep arguing about a moot point. No steak is worth a damn thing unless it's been boiled for 30 minutes in water. Boiled steak is GOAT

Kaylore
08-10-2016, 08:51 AM
You morons keep arguing about a moot point. No steak is worth a damn thing unless it's been boiled for 30 minutes in water. Boiled steak is GOAT

But what is boiled goat steak?

Willynowei
08-10-2016, 08:57 AM
My great great grandfather,great grandfather, grandfather, father and now me are/were norcini, butchers who specialize in dry curing meat. Our tradition is 2000 years old and can be traced to the Roman rules for raising and butchering pork. You are correct, dry aging reduces water content in the muscle, thus intensifies the flavor. It is why a simple salt cured pancetta is more intense than a wet cured bacon even though bacon has additional flavor added via cold smoking.

I think wet aging is a scam and I can see no real purpose other than parting people with their money.

You're talking about bacon and pancetta.

I cured meat as a kid on the balcony, including sausages and duck. And while we are at it, we can go ahead and derail the conversation further to talk about every other kind of cured meat on the planet. It would be an apples/oranges comparison to relate it back to steak.

You see no purpose to wet aging because you're missing the point entirely when it comes to steak. Steak is NOT cured meat.

When I bite into cured meat I'm not looking for the same thing as a rare to medium rare, 25~50 oz cut of porterhouse. You're right that dry aging is superior for generating flavor, but that's not the point of steak, if it were, then the meat would be thin sliced! Reasons that dry aging is terrible for steak:

1.) Dries it out, pulls out the moisture

2.) The original flavor of the steak is overpowered by the seasoning/curing process

3.) The muscle fiber is modified heavily, changing the texture profile entirely.

A wet aging process through a lightly salted brine barely tightens the fiber of the meat and thus, doesn't change the composition too much. As a result, the meat RETAINS its moisture while gaining a slight boost in flavor, and that's what creates the juicy bite that is then sealed in by the high heat of a broiler (generating the crust). You want that juice, that's the whole reason steak is cooked to rare/medium rare.

With all due respect to your expertise in cured meats, I frankly don't care if you're grandfather was wolf gang puck and you ran twenty different 5 star restaurants. Wet-aged steak is superior, dry aging steak is an anachronistic tradition for steakhouses.

broncocalijohn
08-10-2016, 09:19 AM
But what is boiled goat steak?

Tasty for those trailer trash residents in KC.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Easy there Willy. Isn't this the guy that took down a Grizzly with his bare hands?

Requiem
08-10-2016, 09:32 AM
As children we occasionally got to indulge in New York Strip steaks from the local meat market. Grandma cooked those until they were as dry as the Sahara desert, but we were thankful to have them.

Now we have an entertaining, uppity conversation about meat curing processes. The OM never ceases to entertain.

Just waiting for someone to come in and tell everyone that their Hutterite colony bought meats are better than what Kaylore gets at King Soopers.

Br0nc0Buster
08-10-2016, 09:40 AM
When I go to streak restaurants I always order the Milksteak, boiled over hard.
With the finest jelly beans as the side...raw of course

AlaskaMagnum
08-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Easy there Willy. Isn't this the guy that took down a Grizzly with his bare hands?

.338 RUM, and it sucked....

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-10-2016, 09:50 AM

Sounded like it man. Gotta be the most hardcore thing anyone has done on this site.

Requiem
08-10-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm one of those people who would never pay for an expensive steak dinner at a restaurant.

I had a few friends go to Vegas (with one of our buddies' dads) and he bought them all like 2.5 pound steak dinners that were over $100 a piece.

$100 a piece for a meal? Lol. No thanks.

rmsanger
08-10-2016, 10:06 AM

Biggest troll ever... Why not a steamed steak or deep fried steak. Maybe a twice baked double stuffed steak. Just go out and smoke the steak.

SleepingTiger
08-10-2016, 10:06 AM
You're talking about bacon and pancetta.

I cured meat as a kid on the balcony, including sausages and duck. And while we are at it, we can go ahead and derail the conversation further to talk about every other kind of cured meat on the planet. It would be an apples/oranges comparison to relate it back to steak.

You see no purpose to wet aging because you're missing the point entirely when it comes to steak. Steak is NOT cured meat.

When I bite into cured meat I'm not looking for the same thing as a rare to medium rare, 25~50 oz cut of porterhouse. You're right that dry aging is superior for generating flavor, but that's not the point of steak, if it were, then the meat would be thin sliced! Reasons that dry aging is terrible for steak:

2.) The original flavor of the steak is overpowered by the seasoning/curing process

3.) The muscle fiber is modified heavily, changing the texture profile entirely.

A wet aging process through a lightly salted brine barely tightens the fiber of the meat and thus, doesn't change the composition too much. As a result, the meat RETAINS its moisture while gaining a slight boost in flavor, and that's what creates the juicy bite that is then sealed in by the high heat of a broiler (generating the crust). You want that juice, that's the whole reason steak is cooked to rare/medium rare.

With all due respect to your expertise in cured meats, I frankly don't care if you're grandfather was wolf gang puck and you ran twenty different 5 star restaurants. Wet-aged steak is superior, dry aging steak is an anachronistic tradition for steakhouses.

I think i serve up a pretty good steak at my house. I can use my Lynx grill with the infrared burner, the charbroiler on my indoor range or throw the steak on a pan and use the open burners on the range.

I got an awesome deal on some pots and pans. Got me some all clad copper cores at a fraction of a price sold at williams sonoma.

Willynowei
08-10-2016, 10:08 AM

Holy **** man.

AlaskaMagnum
08-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Sounded like it man. Gotta be the most hardcore thing anyone has done on this site.

Lol, the spinal fusion that followed was worse

broncocalijohn
08-10-2016, 10:21 AM
When I go to streak restaurants I always order the Milksteak, boiled over hard.
With the finest jelly beans as the side...raw of course

Thank you Charlie Day.

broncosteven
08-10-2016, 10:32 AM
The best things I ever had were things my late Norwegian Grandmother used to make.

Swedish Meatballs (not anywhere near what you normally think of or get at Ikea)
Lapskaus -which is actually better the more you reheat it.
I can't remember the name of the dish but back in 1979 they visited us when we lived up in Michigan and she brought a bone in ham and a meat grinder. She cut up some of the ham and ground it up and mixed it with something else and then put the ground meat into the center of doughballs then boiled the ham cooking the dough balls in there I think, I was only 12 and not paying attention after helping pack the doughballs. It was heaven, we had an old Norwegian New Years feast then fried up the doughballs the next morning.

I have since learned how to cook and perfect the 1st 2. Nothing like a bowl of Lapskaus in the fall and winter.

Bronx33
08-10-2016, 10:33 AM

This is the guy that says taco bell tacos are the best he's ever tasted. Hilarious!

A Defiant Goose
08-10-2016, 11:09 AM
This is the guy that says taco bell tacos are the best he's ever tasted. Hilarious!

Is it too late in my shame party to add a qualifier? Cause if so...

Best *hard shell* tacos I've ever had. Ok, that might not help my case at all. But I've had some pretty bomb soft tacos from other places. The nice simple taco bell crunchy shell taco aint been topped yet though. I could eat 24 of them and only mildly hate myself for it

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-10-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm just not much of a fan of hard shell tacos but Jack in the Box's are great.

ColoradoDarin
08-10-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm just not much of a fan of hard shell tacos but Jack in the Box's are great.

Yes!

Cito Pelon
08-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Anybody like applewood smoking and BBQ'ing? Love it myself, I have an apple tree so it's easy.

broncocalijohn
08-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Is it too late in my shame party. .. The nice simple taco bell crunchy shell taco aint been topped yet though. I could eat 24 of them and only mildly hate myself for it

Do not worry, we will pick up the slack for you.

Requiem
08-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Anybody like applewood smoking and BBQ'ing? Love it myself, I have an apple tree so it's easy.

What wood you use depends on what you are smokin'.

Quoydogs
08-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Most of them are all you can eat. Nothing wrong with a little tossed salad as well. Hilarious!^5

maher_tyler
08-10-2016, 04:15 PM

Cheesy Gordita Crunch is where it's at...that and Baja Blast.

Tucson had the best Mexican food i've had. There used to be a place called Guadalajara (burned down). Best Fajitas i've ever had. They'd make the salsa right there at your table to.

The Afghan food i had when i was in Afghanistan a few years ago out at my FOB was some of the best food i've ever had. Lamb Stew, some sort of rice and naan bread. I could eat myself into a food coma with that stuff.

Das Rote Baron
08-10-2016, 05:49 PM

Well Willy I was going to let this go, my therapist suggested as much, but because you were kinda douchey to me lets see about that meat knowledge thing.

1.) You don't pay a premium for wet aged beef.

But you said you only order the "wet aged" dry-aged is for idiots. Why call it ďagedĒ then. Itís like saying fresh bananas. All beef is wet aged, 7-10 days from the kill floor to your butcher. All beef needs at least 3 weeks to start to tenderize. Naturally Raised Beef needs more than 6 weeks because the animals are more mature when they are processed. In fact, the reason most supermarket beef is tough is because it is not sufficiently aged, period. It costs a lot of money to sit on inventories of beef for over a month when the suppliers want to be paid in less than 10 days. Most retail stores and supermarkets are not able or willing to do this. If you are using an unscrupulous butcher or restaurant that puts a sign out or states on a menu ďwet agedĒ then you are a sucker for buying it at a premium. Wet aging is simple: put your beef in a cryovack bag and let it sit on the shelf (or more likely on refrigerated trucks as it gets shipped across the country) for a few weeks. Tell customers that it's aged, sell it at a premium. If someone is using that marketing term then they are most likely up-charging you for the ďAging processĒ. Itís BS Willy and many people fall for this trick, I hope you are not.

Steakhouses like Peter Lugers charge significantly more for dry aged beef, which is inferior and more expensive per ounce.

I canít speak directly to YOUR experience at Peter Lugerís but they are charging significantly more for many reasons. First itís Peter Lugerís, itís NY, and people will eat there and pay any amount for the experience not because itís the best steak house in NYC. They serve only PRIME beef, which is more expensive, and itís dry aged, which takes lots of time and money. Your opinion is that dry aged is inferior, many people disagree and most ďHigh EndĒ steak houses at least offer the customer a choice. Lugerís doesnít have a non-Prime offer.

Wet aged beef is heavier

No, a pound of beef is a pound of beef. Wet or dry a pound is a pound.

it's almost always less expensive at steakhouses because the process to dry age beef takes up more space. . Yes and conversly Dry-Aged is ALWAYS more expensive because of the cost of dry aging beef for months versus opening a cryovac bag.. Most places donít take the process on themselves, they out source to people like Pat LaFrieda who supplies most of NYCís steak houses with dry-aged beef. Itís an expertise better left to the pros.

I age beef myself when I make it at home. You are saying that you take a sub-primal cut like a $180 piece of Prime 109A Export and let it sit in your fridge for 30-40 days at 40į to basically rot? Or maybe you have a dedicated fridge with a fan, humidity controller, or you use an UMAi dry bag (I hear they donít work). Dry-aging small cuts is dangerous so lets not even mention that witchcraft. But I doubt you dry-age sub-primal cuts at home because as you said in another post ďDry Aging is terrible for steaksĒ so why would you?

but if we are talking about a last meal it's going to be at a steakhouse. Steak is one of the few things that restaurants can do better than you can do at home because of the heat generated on the professional broiler.

Well I half agree here. I like a steak house because they do everything for me. Cook, serve, clean. Other than that I can sous-vide a rib eye @122į for 3 hours and sear it in a ripping hot cast iron skillet with a pat of butter and make a better steak than most steak houses. But then I have to clean.

Bone-in cuts with the fat and tendons associated helps maintain tenderness throughout the cooking process. .

Patently false. Yes an old wives tale but science puts that myth to rest. The bone acts as an insulator and prevents the meat near the bone from cooking evenly, not always a good thing. Also meat is not a sponge. Liquid does not travel into meat freely (marinade only penetrates a fraction of an inch) moisture only goes one way when meat cooks, out. So how does the meat "absorb" that bone, fat, connective tissue flavor? It is tasty to gnaw on though!

Buying Steak without the bone-in? Are you ****ing serious? The entire POINT of the porterhouse is balancing the cooking process between the tenderloin and the strip steak sirloin on the other side. .
The point of a Porterhouse/T-Bone is to give you, in theory, the best of both worlds. Sirloin and tenderloin. (Not recommended for dry-aging BTW) But the problem is that with relative little fat and a smaller profile, that small tenderloin section ends up cooking much faster than the larger strip section. What this means is that by the time your strip is perfectly medium rare, your tenderloin is overcooked. You're better off cooking your strip and tenderloin separately if you want both. But sometimes the caveman in us just wants to gnaw on the bone.

Oh, and by the way? Not all beef should be aged, you ****ing numbskull. Should I age Kobe beef 2 weeks before I serve it up raw? .
Now calling me a ****ing numbskull isnít very nice Willy, but thatís what people who have no game resort to, name calling. So this oneís for you because you want to sound so knowledgeable dropping your Kobe reference. As of July 2016 only 9 restaurants and 0 butcher shops in the US carry REAL IMPORTED Kobe beef. So Iím going to go out on a limb as say you are talking about Waygu beef in the style of Kobe. And I guess we are talking about beef tartare here which is usually from the filet, a beef cut not recommended for dry aging (no fat) so no do not dry age your ďFeux-beĒ that has at least a week of aging on it unless you own a Waygu steer and killed it in your backyard this morning.

Get out of this thread before you embarrass yourself more. So far Iím not embarrassed Willy.

When I bite into cured meat I'm not looking for the same thing as a rare to medium rare, 25~50 oz cut of porterhouse. You're right that dry aging is superior for generating flavor, but that's not the point of steak, if it were, then the meat would be thin sliced!
No the reason for dry aging is flavor and tenderness; you seem to be confusing dry-cured with dry-aging.

Reasons that dry aging is terrible for steak:

False dry aging desiccates the exterior not the interior. 30%-50% loss overall and that is mostly exterior fat that is trimmed away. The meat loses about 4% moisture (30-40 day) After the first few weeks; the outer layer of meat is so tight and tough that it is virtually impermeable to moisture loss. One of the side effects of aging is the breakdown of meat protein and connective tissue. This makes the meat more tender, as well as causing it to contract less as it cooks. Less contraction = less moisture loss. When all was said and done fresh meat loses even more liquid than dry-aged meat.

The original flavor of the steak is overpowered by the seasoning/curing process
There is NO seasoning when dry-aging meat, it is not cured (no salt)

The muscle fiber is modified heavily, changing the texture profile entirely.
Well yes thatís the idea. A well-aged steak should be noticeably more tender. But itís also the flavor people like. Itís not for everyone. I like 28-40 days. Beyond that, say 60 days, the blue cheese funk is distracting.

A wet aging process through a lightly salted brine barely tightens the fiber of the meat and thus, doesn't change the composition too much.
You just described brining a steak not wet aging. Iím wondering if you know what youíre talking about. Wet aging does not involve anything other than leaving it in its original-from-the-killing-floor-cryovac bag and leaving it in the refrigerator. Salt brining? No sir that has nothing to do with wet-aging. The USDA would require the adition of salt on the packaging.

As a result, the meat RETAINS its moisture while gaining a slight boost in flavor
WRONG! Brining, as you suggest, would ruin the meat. You need to understand whatís really going on, you have to look at the structure of meat muscles. Muscles are made up of long fibers, each one housed in a tough protein sheath. As the meat heats, the proteins that make up the sheath will contract forcing moisture OUT of the meat. Salt helps mitigate shrinkage by dissolving some of the muscle proteins (mainly myosin). The muscle fibres loosen up allowing them to absorb more moisture and more importantly they donít contract as much when they cook, making sure that the more of that moisture stays in place as the meat cooks. Good right? No you have replaced that tasty serum(blood) with salt water.

and that's what creates the juicy bite that is then sealed in by the high heat of a broiler (generating the crust).
Thatís not what creates the Maillard reaction, which is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing natural sugars that gives browned food its desirable umami flavor and ďcrustĒ. The old myth (which I once subscribed to) of ďsealing in the juicesĒ is just that, another myth as proved by Harold McGee.

Peace Willy, just donít bring a pocket knife to a gun battle.

Used as reference and culled paragraphs:

Kenji Alt-Lopez http://www.seriouseats.com/user/profile/GoodEaterKenji

Dave Arnold http://www.cookingissues.com

Harold McGee http://curiouscook.typepad.com/site/about-harold-mcgee.html

Requiem
08-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Das Rote Baron moves boldly.

itswutz4dinna
08-10-2016, 06:31 PM
When it comes to Mexican food, for me the conversatiom begins and ends in New Mexico. La Plazuela at La Fonda in Santa Fe might be my favorite so far.

Somehow other than that I can't remember any great places from any of my travels; I usually get some great food (except in Ireland), but nothing mind-blowing that I haven't forgotten. So I'll just mention some highlights from SoCal:

Enrique's in Long Beach - best Chilean Seabass and best pork shank that I've had so far.
Sushi Ryokan in Seal Beach.
Chapter One in Santa Ana has some great burgers.
Munchie's Pizza in Huntington Beach is the place to go for non-fancy pizza, though I don't think it's as good as it was 10+ years ago
Fiesta Grill in Huntington Beach
Punjabi Tandoor in Mira Mesa (San Diego) is the place to go for Indian food
Zov's Bistro (chain) is great as well for Mediterranean. Only been to the one in Tustin.

And of course Arby's - simply the best.

kappys
08-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Fresh caught brook trout (which is a salmon species) and fried taters. When I say fresh I mean cooked within seconds of being caught. That's a tasty meal.

There's a SoCal-style taco shop in Denver by Federal and Evans by the Walmart. Good food, carne asada, machaca, horchata, they have a good menu.

Any fresh caught fish really. I'm not much of a fisherman but I love to cook and I don't mind cleaning and gutting a fish to cook it immediately.

kappys
08-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Combine Brothers - middle of nowhere PA

Los Broncos
08-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Ruth Chris best steak ever.

broncocalijohn
08-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Das Rote Baron moves boldly.

Sounds like Das Rote Baron knows what the hell he is talking about. Thank God it is food and not deflating footballs. I like the battle.

Baron, where you get your expertise in meat?

BroncoFox
08-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Well.. everything I cook of course. =)

I can even cook an amazing ribeye.. in the oven! yup.. it can be done.

maven
08-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Das Rose Baron or whatever your ****ing name is, you ****ing owned willy.

I salute.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/544/022/2f0.gif

TD4HOF
08-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Cheesy Gordita Crunch is where it's at...that and Baja Blast.

Tucson had the best Mexican food i've had. There used to be a place called Guadalajara (burned down). Best Fajitas i've ever had. They'd make the salsa right there at your table to.

The Afghan food i had when i was in Afghanistan a few years ago out at my FOB was some of the best food i've ever had. Lamb Stew, some sort of rice and naan bread. I could eat myself into a food coma with that stuff.

Happy to report that Guadalajara has been long since rebuilt. Itís alive and well and overflowing night after night. I live, oh, probably 700 feet away. Youíre right, great fajitas although the rest of the menu is pedestrian. I can pick a place for the specific craving The tacos in this city are amazing...Iíve found some real Mexican food truck guys who will blow your mind away.

I miss the Texas BBQ places in Austin. Used to get up early on Sundays and drink their free beer before getting served the worldsí best brisket and other various offerings at 10 am. I recommend the ďhot gutsĒ (home made sausage) at la Barbecue.

Hot Wings n subs so fresh youíll forget that its layered subs in my hometown of Rochester NY not to mention the garbage plates late at night (hash browns--not the flat breakfast type-- and cold macaroni salad topped by two cheeseburgers, mustard, meat sauce (onions too but I hate them).

Lived in DC many years and the eclectic choices is overwhelming. Very underrated food town. Benís Chili Bowl for some hangover food. Cuban at Banana Cafe. Thereís a Chinese fast food place on Florida Ave that looks like it was directly transported from Beirut that has the best steamed pork dumplings ever.

NYC thin slice folded in half chased with Coke might be the best quick lunch on the planet. Chicago deep dish done right.

I had a gyro from a cart in an alley in Indianapolis that just about gave me rebirth as a human.

Indian and Ethiopian cuisines are criminally underrated.

The best food in the world is Italian and itís not even close.

My fav dish on Earth is one or two rolls of sushi along with a good teriyaki steak along with plum wine.

A Defiant Goose
08-11-2016, 04:45 AM
My boy is wicked smaht

Drunk Monkey
08-11-2016, 05:30 AM
When it comes to Mexican food, for me the conversatiom begins and ends in New Mexico.

I agree, I miss my New Mexican Mexican food so much. when I go back that is all I eat for 3 meals a day. I lived in Cali for 5 years and they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to Mexican food. Same with Texas.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-11-2016, 06:27 AM

:giggle:

I would have thought some comedian would've been all over this by now.

Rohirrim
08-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Picked a ripe orange off a tree in Kissimmee and ate it. Memorable.

Rohirrim
08-11-2016, 06:30 AM

:spit:

DHallblows
08-11-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm both oddly pleased and utterly disgusted by how much I'm enjoying the posts of multiple Pats fans in a single thread...

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-11-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm both oddly pleased and utterly disgusted by how much I'm enjoying the posts of multiple Pats fans in a single thread...

Yeah, they're aight when they aren't going on about the Pats.

ColoradoDarin
08-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Picked a ripe orange off a tree in Kissimmee and ate it. Memorable.

Had a clementine tree and a grapefruit tree when we lived in Florida, both the best fruit I've ever had.

Willynowei
08-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Well Willy I was going to let this go, my therapist suggested as much, but because you were kinda douchey to me lets see about that meat knowledge thing.

But you said you only order the "wet aged" dry-aged is for idiots. Why call it ďagedĒ then. Itís like saying fresh bananas. All beef is wet aged, 7-10 days from the kill floor to your butcher. All beef needs at least 3 weeks to start to tenderize. Naturally Raised Beef needs more than 6 weeks because the animals are more mature when they are processed. In fact, the reason most supermarket beef is tough is because it is not sufficiently aged, period. It costs a lot of money to sit on inventories of beef for over a month when the suppliers want to be paid in less than 10 days. Most retail stores and supermarkets are not able or willing to do this. If you are using an unscrupulous butcher or restaurant that puts a sign out or states on a menu ďwet agedĒ then you are a sucker for buying it at a premium. Wet aging is simple: put your beef in a cryovack bag and let it sit on the shelf (or more likely on refrigerated trucks as it gets shipped across the country) for a few weeks. Tell customers that it's aged, sell it at a premium. If someone is using that marketing term then they are most likely up-charging you for the ďAging processĒ. Itís BS Willy and many people fall for this trick, I hope you are not.

I canít speak directly to YOUR experience at Peter Lugerís but they are charging significantly more for many reasons. First itís Peter Lugerís, itís NY, and people will eat there and pay any amount for the experience not because itís the best steak house in NYC. They serve only PRIME beef, which is more expensive, and itís dry aged, which takes lots of time and money. Your opinion is that dry aged is inferior, many people disagree and most ďHigh EndĒ steak houses at least offer the customer a choice. Lugerís doesnít have a non-Prime offer.

No, a pound of beef is a pound of beef. Wet or dry a pound is a pound.

Yes and conversly Dry-Aged is ALWAYS more expensive because of the cost of dry aging beef for months versus opening a cryovac bag.. Most places donít take the process on themselves, they out source to people like Pat LaFrieda who supplies most of NYCís steak houses with dry-aged beef. Itís an expertise better left to the pros.

You are saying that you take a sub-primal cut like a $180 piece of Prime 109A Export and let it sit in your fridge for 30-40 days at 40į to basically rot? Or maybe you have a dedicated fridge with a fan, humidity controller, or you use an UMAi dry bag (I hear they donít work). Dry-aging small cuts is dangerous so lets not even mention that witchcraft. But I doubt you dry-age sub-primal cuts at home because as you said in another post ďDry Aging is terrible for steaksĒ so why would you?

Well I half agree here. I like a steak house because they do everything for me. Cook, serve, clean. Other than that I can sous-vide a rib eye @122į for 3 hours and sear it in a ripping hot cast iron skillet with a pat of butter and make a better steak than most steak houses. But then I have to clean.

Patently false. Yes an old wives tale but science puts that myth to rest. The bone acts as an insulator and prevents the meat near the bone from cooking evenly, not always a good thing. Also meat is not a sponge. Liquid does not travel into meat freely (marinade only penetrates a fraction of an inch) moisture only goes one way when meat cooks, out. So how does the meat "absorb" that bone, fat, connective tissue flavor? It is tasty to gnaw on though!

The point of a Porterhouse/T-Bone is to give you, in theory, the best of both worlds. Sirloin and tenderloin. (Not recommended for dry-aging BTW) But the problem is that with relative little fat and a smaller profile, that small tenderloin section ends up cooking much faster than the larger strip section. What this means is that by the time your strip is perfectly medium rare, your tenderloin is overcooked. You're better off cooking your strip and tenderloin separately if you want both. But sometimes the caveman in us just wants to gnaw on the bone.

Now calling me a ****ing numbskull isnít very nice Willy, but thatís what people who have no game resort to, name calling. So this oneís for you because you want to sound so knowledgeable dropping your Kobe reference. As of July 2016 only 9 restaurants and 0 butcher shops in the US carry REAL IMPORTED Kobe beef. So Iím going to go out on a limb as say you are talking about Waygu beef in the style of Kobe. And I guess we are talking about beef tartare here which is usually from the filet, a beef cut not recommended for dry aging (no fat) so no do not dry age your ďFeux-beĒ that has at least a week of aging on it unless you own a Waygu steer and killed it in your backyard this morning.

So far Iím not embarrassed Willy.

No the reason for dry aging is flavor and tenderness; you seem to be confusing dry-cured with dry-aging.

False dry aging desiccates the exterior not the interior. 30%-50% loss overall and that is mostly exterior fat that is trimmed away. The meat loses about 4% moisture (30-40 day) After the first few weeks; the outer layer of meat is so tight and tough that it is virtually impermeable to moisture loss. One of the side effects of aging is the breakdown of meat protein and connective tissue. This makes the meat more tender, as well as causing it to contract less as it cooks. Less contraction = less moisture loss. When all was said and done fresh meat loses even more liquid than dry-aged meat.

There is NO seasoning when dry-aging meat, it is not cured (no salt)

Well yes thatís the idea. A well-aged steak should be noticeably more tender. But itís also the flavor people like. Itís not for everyone. I like 28-40 days. Beyond that, say 60 days, the blue cheese funk is distracting.

You just described brining a steak not wet aging. Iím wondering if you know what youíre talking about. Wet aging does not involve anything other than leaving it in its original-from-the-killing-floor-cryovac bag and leaving it in the refrigerator. Salt brining? No sir that has nothing to do with wet-aging. The USDA would require the adition of salt on the packaging.

WRONG! Brining, as you suggest, would ruin the meat. You need to understand whatís really going on, you have to look at the structure of meat muscles. Muscles are made up of long fibers, each one housed in a tough protein sheath. As the meat heats, the proteins that make up the sheath will contract forcing moisture OUT of the meat. Salt helps mitigate shrinkage by dissolving some of the muscle proteins (mainly myosin). The muscle fibres loosen up allowing them to absorb more moisture and more importantly they donít contract as much when they cook, making sure that the more of that moisture stays in place as the meat cooks. Good right? No you have replaced that tasty serum(blood) with salt water.

Thatís not what creates the Maillard reaction, which is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing natural sugars that gives browned food its desirable umami flavor and ďcrustĒ. The old myth (which I once subscribed to) of ďsealing in the juicesĒ is just that, another myth as proved by Harold McGee.

Peace Willy, just donít bring a pocket knife to a gun battle.

Used as reference and culled paragraphs:

Kenji Alt-Lopez http://www.seriouseats.com/user/profile/GoodEaterKenji

Dave Arnold http://www.cookingissues.com

Harold McGee http://curiouscook.typepad.com/site/about-harold-mcgee.html

Looks like someone spent half a day reading up on sources because they have nothing better to do.

I'm going to keep this simple and off the top of my head because I'm not as ****ing obsessed as you are, maybe go talk to your shrink again.

1.) All beef is wet aged - CORRECT which is why you are NOT paying more for wet aged (which means your first post MADE NO SENSE). Another way to describe it is that wet aged meat that's just come into retail is not "aged" at all, and is only "aged" if you're anal about the terms, but whatever.

In either case, when you get the beef home you can "wet age" it for however long you would like, there's this thing called a refrigerator in your house, this magical invention is the reason that dry aging is no longer needed for steak after thousands of years of doing things the same! WOW! SCIENCE!

2.) A pound of beef is NOT a pound of beef. There's something called WATER that leaves the meat during the aging process when the meat is hanging or laying there. That reduces the amount that the slab of meat weighs at the end of the aging process. The same vendor/butcher would be getting less total weight for that same slab of meat; how is this hard for you to grasp? I PREFER to have the additional moisture on the inside of that slab of meat, period.

3.) What makes you think I had to get Kobe beef in the US?

As indicated by the food list I had at the beginning of this thread, 90% of my favorite foods are international, and a near third are Asian, maybe you ought to think about where I've lived before boldly claiming that I've never had access to Kobe beef, maybe go back on google and do a little more research, buddy.

4.) You boil your steak sous-vide. How cute. This pretty much explains everything. This explains why you don't want the bone-in. You're that obsessive weirdo who cuts off 100% of the fat from a steak before cooking. This explains to me, 100% why people like you will never understand steak.

Let me ask you, why do people cook a turkey WHOLE on thanksgiving? Why not just cut the turkey up into small pieces?

Why make a 2lb cut of meat called a porterhouse or an entire prime rib roast when you can cut literally everything into tiny bite size medallions and THEN marinate them, and THEN sear them for perfectly cooked food? Maybe you're missing the entire point of steak?

It's called presentation. Grandeur. The essence of what makes steak different from evenly cut tender medallions at a fine dining restaurant. Sous-Vide runs counter to all that because you're so obsessed with the "even" cooking part of it all.

Oh, and your iron skillet + butter trick is known to basically every house wife who reads food blogs, it's not exactly a secret. And NO, the exterior crust is not EVEN CLOSE to one developed in a professional steakhouse on a commercial broiler.

Let me ask you, to what degree of heat can you get that iron skillet? Now check a professional steakhouse.

Better bring out the blow torch, kiddo.

5. Brining absolutely retains moisture the best, and the way to do it is to put the meat in a vacuum sealed bag with a salt water brine that you boil and let cool to minimize bacterial growth.

And don't tell me some BS about "ruining the meat" by letting it "Rot". By definition every form of aging is letting the meat "rot". There are aging techniques that top steakhouses would love to employ, but are banned by food inspection in the US because of the potential for bacterial growth.

6.) On your BS point about water loss being relegated to fat in dry aging:

When you dry age, the exterior of the meat is far from impenetrable, water vapor can escape from literally anything (and it primarily escapes from MUSCLE) that's why dry aged meat reduces the overall weight, where do you think the magical water weight is going?

Here's some neat math:

Muscle = 50~75% water! Wow!

Fat = 10%~15% water! OMG!

So you're saying that dry aging causes most of the weight loss to leave from the fat, when all the water is in the muscle? WOW! It takes a special kind of retard to think that!

But hey, that's okay, you pulled up google sources! YAY FOR YOU!

7.) Your point on replacing blood with salt water:

CORRECT, THAT IS THE POINT. How many points have to go over your head through this process? How many books do you have to browse through on the internet before you realize what the hell I'm talking about?

The salt water DOES REPLACE the blood, that's what add's the flavor! Brining the meat is adding water and salt into the meat where the moisture would've been pulled out by curing. It retains some of the benefits of curing, by adding the salted flavor, but also retains the benefit of MOISTURE.

OMG! Water + Salt = Flavor + Tenderness! Who would've thought!

And yes, you are correct, Mr. Google, that cooking the steak causes water loss because all cooking causes water loss, and Eureka! That's why brining adds salt water into the meat so that after the inevitable water loss, some of that water is retained!

The exterior crusting in a high heat commercial broiler creates an outer finish that is primarily carbon = burn. This layer of carbon actually acts as insulation from heat but also it prevents some of that moisture from escaping.

I could literally hit every singe point if I wanted to, but this post is getting unnecessarily long, and I'm not obsessive enough to keep going. It's obvious to me that you just don't get it when it comes to why people eat steak. Ask the people on this thread how many of them like the idea of a water boiled steak in a plastic sealed bag.

You think everyone that cooks a turkey whole thinks that this is the best way to generate an evenly cooked bird?

All the googling and books in the world won't drill into your head what is special about a steak. Your sous-vide method of cooking proves that.

I suggest you stick to fine dining, or try more Asian cuisine where no cut of meat is served in portions too large to cook evenly.

Good luck to you, Mr. Google.

broncocalijohn
08-11-2016, 07:48 AM

I guess it is supposed to be cuisine but just in case it is not, let us not judge his lifestyle.

Beantown Bronco
08-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Looks like someone spent half a day reading up on sources because they have nothing better to do.

I'm going to keep this simple and off the top of my head because I'm not as ****ing obsessed as you are

37 paragraphs later.......

Ponyta
08-11-2016, 08:04 AM
Be Our Guest restaurant in WDW New York Strip.

Willynowei
08-11-2016, 08:06 AM
37 paragraphs later.......

Hilarious! okay I got a little into it, but I kept it off the noggin, and I type fast, so it only took up my morning breakfast + transit time (typing on the iPhone sucks).

Rohirrim
08-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Willynowei goes all Alton Brown on Pats fan. :rofl:

RepentWalpurgis
08-11-2016, 08:47 AM
I think Willy won The Battle Of The Beef, but I'm guessing that chic is still holding out on him.

Bronx33
08-11-2016, 08:52 AM

I'm going to keep this simple and off the top of my head because I'm not as ****ing obsessed as you are, maybe go talk to your shrink again.

1.) All beef is wet aged - CORRECT which is why you are NOT paying more for wet aged (which means your first post MADE NO SENSE). Another way to describe it is that wet aged meat that's just come into retail is not "aged" at all, and is only "aged" if you're anal about the terms, but whatever.

In either case, when you get the beef home you can "wet age" it for however long you would like, there's this thing called a refrigerator in your house, this magical invention is the reason that dry aging is no longer needed for steak after thousands of years of doing things the same! WOW! SCIENCE!

2.) A pound of beef is NOT a pound of beef. There's something called WATER that leaves the meat during the aging process when the meat is hanging or laying there. That reduces the amount that the slab of meat weighs at the end of the aging process. The same vendor/butcher would be getting less total weight for that same slab of meat; how is this hard for you to grasp? I PREFER to have the additional moisture on the inside of that slab of meat, period.

3.) What makes you think I had to get Kobe beef in the US?

As indicated by the food list I had at the beginning of this thread, 90% of my favorite foods are international, and a near third are Asian, maybe you ought to think about where I've lived before boldly claiming that I've never had access to Kobe beef, maybe go back on google and do a little more research, buddy.

4.) You boil your steak sous-vide. How cute. This pretty much explains everything. This explains why you don't want the bone-in. You're that obsessive weirdo who cuts off 100% of the fat from a steak before cooking. This explains to me, 100% why people like you will never understand steak.

Let me ask you, why do people cook a turkey WHOLE on thanksgiving? Why not just cut the turkey up into small pieces?

Why make a 2lb cut of meat called a porterhouse or an entire prime rib roast when you can cut literally everything into tiny bite size medallions and THEN marinate them, and THEN sear them for perfectly cooked food? Maybe you're missing the entire point of steak?

It's called presentation. Grandeur. The essence of what makes steak different from evenly cut tender medallions at a fine dining restaurant. Sous-Vide runs counter to all that because you're so obsessed with the "even" cooking part of it all.

Oh, and your iron skillet + butter trick is known to basically every house wife who reads food blogs, it's not exactly a secret. And NO, the exterior crust is not EVEN CLOSE to one developed in a professional steakhouse on a commercial broiler.

Let me ask you, to what degree of heat can you get that iron skillet? Now check a professional steakhouse.

5. Brining absolutely retains moisture the best, and the way to do it is to put the meat in a vacuum sealed bag with a salt water brine that you boil and let cool to minimize bacterial growth.

And don't tell me some BS about "ruining the meat" by letting it "Rot". By definition every form of aging is letting the meat "rot". There are aging techniques that top steakhouses would love to employ, but are banned by food inspection in the US because of the potential for bacterial growth.

6.) On your BS point about water loss being relegated to fat in dry aging:

When you dry age, the exterior of the meat is far from impenetrable, water vapor can escape from literally anything (and it primarily escapes from MUSCLE) that's why dry aged meat reduces the overall weight, where do you think the magical water weight is going?

Here's some neat math:

So you're saying that dry aging causes most of the weight loss to leave from the fat, when all the water is in the muscle? WOW! It takes a special kind of retard to think that!

But hey, that's okay, you pulled up google sources! YAY FOR YOU!

7.) Your point on replacing blood with salt water:

CORRECT, THAT IS THE POINT. How many points have to go over your head through this process? How many books do you have to browse through on the internet before you realize what the hell I'm talking about?

The salt water DOES REPLACE the blood, that's what add's the flavor! Brining the meat is adding water and salt into the meat where the moisture would've been pulled out by curing. It retains some of the benefits of curing, by adding the salted flavor, but also retains the benefit of MOISTURE.

And yes, you are correct, Mr. Google, that cooking the steak causes water loss because all cooking causes water loss, and Eureka! That's why brining adds salt water into the meat so that after the inevitable water loss, some of that water is retained!

The exterior crusting in a high heat commercial broiler creates an outer finish that is primarily carbon = burn. This layer of carbon actually acts as insulation from heat but also it prevents some of that moisture from escaping.

I could literally hit every singe point if I wanted to, but this post is getting unnecessarily long, and I'm not obsessive enough to keep going. It's obvious to me that you just don't get it when it comes to why people eat steak. Ask the people on this thread how many of them like the idea of a water boiled steak in a plastic sealed bag.

You think everyone that cooks a turkey whole thinks that this is the best way to generate an evenly cooked bird?

All the googling and books in the world won't drill into your head what is special about a steak. Your sous-vide method of cooking proves that.

I suggest you stick to fine dining, or try more Asian cuisine where no cut of meat is served in portions too large to cook evenly.

Good luck to you, Mr. Google.

The red baron was shot down again .

Requiem
08-11-2016, 08:53 AM
I made a meatloaf last night and it was delicious.

I love meatloaf's.

I make the best meatloaf's.

Meatloaf's like you wouldn't believe.

Making meatloaf's great again.

The secret is raspberry vinaigrette and Old Crow.

OLD CROW MEATLOAF?

Kaylore
08-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Willynowei has food shamed me this day.

I will say anyone who says brining ruins meat has lost all cooking credibility to me. Which is unsurprising since it came from Patriots fan. His chemistry on how salt adds moisture isn't even right.

Requiem
08-11-2016, 09:02 AM
I would have never thought in my born days I would read the steak aging equivalent to War and Peace on the OM. It just keeps getting better here. :thumbs:

Rohirrim
08-11-2016, 09:02 AM

I love meatloaf's.

OLD CROW MEATLOAF?

The secret to a good meatloaf, as everybody knows, is ketchup. ;D

Requiem
08-11-2016, 09:06 AM
The secret to a good meatloaf, as everybody knows, is ketchup. ;D

That is an ingredient in my meatloaf's, but I don't use a whole lot. Basically one big squeeze of the bottle so it sounds like someone is sharting and that's the right amount of ketchup for a 1 pound meatloaf. Nothing is an exact science with these creations. It doesn't have to be the same every time.

Rohirrim
08-11-2016, 09:23 AM
That is an ingredient in my meatloaf's, but I don't use a whole lot. Basically one big squeeze of the bottle so it sounds like someone is sharting and that's the right amount of ketchup for a 1 pound meatloaf. Nothing is an exact science with these creations. It doesn't have to be the same every time.

My other secret ingredient is diced onion sauteed in duck fat. :~ohyah!:

Requiem
08-11-2016, 09:28 AM
My other secret ingredient is diced onion sauteed in duck fat. :~ohyah!:

The more vegetables the better. Sauteed vegetables are a good call.

BroncoBeavis
08-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Can 1 pound of ground really be called a "loaf"

More like a fairly thick patty.

maven
08-11-2016, 10:03 AM
I think Willy won The Battle Of The Beef, but I'm guessing that chic is still holding out on him.

Willy with the John Elway 4th Q comeback!

Hilarious!

Das Rote Baron
08-11-2016, 10:06 AM
If I had one last meal it would be a proper Porterhouse (always wet aged, dry aged is for idiots), and a glass of red wine (Cab, Napa).
This is your first post. You clearly believe wet-aging is better. The fact is that wet-aging is pretty much a farce. No one that has a clue considers leaving a piece of meat in a bag in a refrigerator an ďaging processĒ one that goes to lengths to tenderize meat and produce a more ďbeefy tasteĒ. Slight improvement by letting a primal cut sit in your fridge for a few days? Yes, but minimal. There is presumably (hopefully) no oxygen in that bag therefore there is no oxidation of fat, which means that there is no development of funky flavors. A minimal amount of flavor change will occur through enzymatic reactions, but they are, well, minimal. This defeats the purpose of aging. Simple, wet aging is BS.

In either case, when you get the beef home you can "wet age" it for however long you would like

Sorry Willy, if you leave that 109A in your refrigerator long enough (10 days? 15? 20?) sitting in itís own blood and if even a smidge of harmful anaerobic bacteria makes its way into that bag, the meat will rot inside then you are going to end up with the nastiest smelling piece of **** youíve ever smelled.

there's this thing called a refrigerator in your house, this magical invention is the reason that dry aging is no longer needed for steak after thousands of years of doing things the same! WOW! SCIENCE!

This is the very reason people want dry-aged steak. It brings back the old time flavor people like. The flavor of meat pre-cryovac. The beef of my youth. Maybe you donít like it but many people do and are willing to pay for it.

A pound of beef is NOT a pound of beef. There's something called WATER that leaves the meat during the aging process when the meat is hanging or laying there. That reduces the amount that the slab of meat weighs at the end of the aging process. The same vendor/butcher would be getting less total weight for that same slab of meat; how is this hard for you to grasp? I PREFER to have the additional moisture on the inside of that slab of meat, period.
As I explaind after the first week or so meat stops shedding moisture. Either way itís minimal. The amount of weight in that bag doesnít change, unless thereís a hole in the bag you are buying the meat and the blood.

What makes you think I had to get Kobe beef in the US?

90% of these are international? Chillean Sea Bass, Escargot, Rack of Lamb, Mini Lobster tails, Filet Mignon, Softshell crab, salt water Eel, Braised Porkbelly, Spanish Paella, Italian Seafood Carpaccio, Raw Kobe Beef salad, Fried Snake, Fried Chicken, Pork Shoulder - all kinds (smoked, BBQ, braised, etc), Ribs (BBQ or Smoked). I can almost all those things down the street (In America). You were trying to fit the Kobe in to prove a point. You lost on that one. You can admit it.

You boil your steak sous-vide. How cute. This pretty much explains everything. This explains why you don't want the bone-in. You're that obsessive weirdo who cuts off 100% of the fat from a steak before cooking. This explains to me, 100% why people like you will never understand steak.

Water boils at 212įF, I said sous-vide at 122įF. Are you familiar with this method of cooking? I never said I cut off fat because I love me some fat, and I said a bone is nice to gnaw on. I think Iíve forgotten more about steak/meat than youíll ever know son, but keep pouting.

Sous-vide has itís place for sure. Thanksgiving dinner is not one of them. I agree. A backyard brabeque is not the setting either, but if you want a couple of perfectly cooked bone Ėin rib eye steaks it a completely acceptable method. Iím not sure why you went here. Let me guess, you plump up your bird with brine too? Ugggh.

I said itís a damn good steak, I never said or compared it to a professional broiler, nor did I say it was a secret. Itís different for sure. If you know what you are doing you can make a crust even better than some hack cook at a steak house. But if itís all about heat then cooking over a blast furnace would be even better right? Wrong, some of the best steaks Iíve had came off a grill; it gives that smoky goodness a restaurant broiler cant. Do you know why they use those broilers? Best flavor? No it is the most efficient way to cook hundreds of steaks quickly night after night. BTW a blowtorch is so 2004, itís all about the Searzall, keep up with the times.

Brining absolutely retains moisture the best, and the way to do it is to put the meat in a vacuum sealed bag with a salt water brine that you boil and let cool to minimize bacterial growth. Brining DOES NOT RETAIN moisture, it introduces it into the meat. You end up with a plumper piece of meatÖ..that is now 30% salt water! Great extra juices that are diluted with salty water.

Dry-aging is letting meat rot in a controlled environment . Letting food sit in your fridge at home is letting food rot in a bad way. Great Rote>Good rot>bad rot.

On your BS point about water loss being relegated to fat in dry aging:

Here's some neat math:

No Willy, slow down and read how it works. If you dry age an un-trimmed, bone-on, fat-cap intact prime rib, you'll end up losing about 30% of its total weight over the course of 21 to 30 days or so. BUT the weight is almost exclusively lost from the outer layersóthat is, the portion of the meat and fat that is going to be trimmed off anyway, regardless of whether it is aged or not. 4% moisture loss in the meat Willy. Ever notice that a dry-aged ribeye and a non-dry aged ribeye are the same size in the butchers case?

Your point on replacing blood with salt water:

If you want to ruin a rib eye by brining it then by all means enjoy all that salt watery denatured goodness. There is only one reason to brine meatÖ..Corned Beef. Show me a recipe calling for brined ribeye and Iíll try it.

You refuse to listen to facts and rely on old wives tales. The carbon acts as insulation? How did you produce something on the periodic table out of meat? ****ing beautiful bunch of crap you put out there.

It's obvious to me that you just don't get it when it comes to why people eat steak. Ask the people on this thread how many of them like the idea of a water boiled steak in a plastic sealed bag.

Again with your lack of knowledge about sous-vide cooking. But donít knock it till you try it. Have you?

I know my Asian cuisine too, you want to give that a go as well?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JB1x0O-bhrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>https://youtu.be/agNvp5GTJUg

Requiem
08-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Can 1 pound of ground really be called a "loaf"

More like a fairly thick patty.

A little over a pound of my choice of ground, plus what I add in other ingredients makes a 8" long and about 4" thick loaf. It gets cut into six portions. It's plenty of food.

Das Rote Baron
08-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Willynowei has food shamed me this day.

I will say anyone who says brining ruins meat has lost all cooking credibility to me. Which is unsurprising since it came from Patriots fan. His chemistry on how salt adds moisture isn't even right.

The basic process involves soaking meat (usually lean meats like turkey, chicken, or pork chop) in a tubful of heavily salted water overnight (most brines are int he 5 to 8% salt range by weight water). Over the course of the night, the meat absorbs some of that water. More importantly, that water stays put even after the meat is cooked. By brining meat, you can decrease the amount of total moisture loss by 30 to 40%.That means that that extra 30 to 40% savings in moisture loss is not really turkey juicesóit's plain old tap water. Many folks who eat brined birds have that very complaint: It's juicy, but the juice is watery.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

Care to expand on where I'm wrong?

Bronc0guy
08-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Yep. I enter a cookoff in my hometown every July and used apple and won the whole thing last year.. It adds a nice and subtle kiss of smoke to the meat that is just right, IMO. Had to use mesquite this year which I think tends to overpower the meat. All in all though, there's nothing I enjoy more than firing up an offset smoker and cooking Q all day. Of course with some nice brews thrown into the mix.

Bronc0guy
08-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Most of them are all you can eat. Nothing wrong with a little tossed salad as well. Hilarious!^5

Choco tacos.

Bronc0guy
08-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Any fresh caught fish really. I'm not much of a fisherman but I love to cook and I don't mind cleaning and gutting a fish to cook it immediately.

Caught a bunch of redfish, trout and a kingfish off the coast in Texas one weekend. They cleaned it and cooked it fresh as soon as we got off the boat. Outstanding.

Bronc0guy
08-11-2016, 10:37 AM
I would have never thought in my born days I would read the steak aging equivalent to War and Peace on the OM. It just keeps getting better here. :thumbs:

Beef brawls. I just read through this entire thread at once and it's been pretty entertaining. Have to say that the Pat's fans were actually somewhat enjoyable on this thread.

BroncoBeavis
08-11-2016, 10:51 AM
makes a 8" long and about 4" thick loaf

Uh huh. What they all say.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEGW4i9kaBE4t5Tllw_aiy9__CM64qi 0nXuqQecqjRmYgDJ5Hw4A

broncocalijohn
08-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Beef brawls. I just read through this entire thread at once and it's been pretty entertaining. Have to say that the Pat's fans were actually somewhat enjoyable on this thread.

I am at the point where I have no idea what to believe, understand or eat but like good Mane behavior, I want a winner and someone dragging their ass and tail down the street of Omane Shame.

Das Rote Baron
08-11-2016, 11:02 AM
I am at the point where I have no idea what to believe, understand or eat but like good Mane behavior, I want a winner and someone dragging their ads and tail down the street of Omane Shame.

Like I said I know beef and Dick Montfort is a scumbag.:wave:

itherapies
08-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Donald??

I love meatloaf's.

OLD CROW MEATLOAF?

Gort
08-11-2016, 11:20 AM
suggestion for willynowei's new avatar below...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Arthur_Roy_Brown_from_imperial_war_museum.jpg

DHallblows
08-11-2016, 11:30 AM
You know those arguments where you don't have the knowledge base to know who is correct and who is an idiot?

This is one of those arguments.

Drunk Monkey
08-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Dry Aged > Wet Aged

Requiem
08-11-2016, 12:16 PM
You know those arguments where you don't have the knowledge base to know who is correct and who is an idiot?

Totally. I never knew steak could be so fascinating.

A Defiant Goose
08-11-2016, 12:16 PM

Reminds me of an Always Sunny in Philadelphia quote. "I feel like you're wrong but I don't know enough about the subject to correct it" or something like that

Bronc0guy
08-11-2016, 12:24 PM
I am at the point where I have no idea what to believe, understand or eat but like good Mane behavior, I want a winner and someone dragging their ass and tail down the street of Omane Shame.

I have no clue who is right, either. I could google it all day and still not know what to believe.

Requiem
08-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I have no clue who is right, either. I could google it all day and still not know what to believe.

At the very least, they have earned a "T'riffic" Participation trophy!

Congrats Baron and Willy!

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server500/241f7/products/967/images/2299/tbone_steak_t_bone_trophy_bbq_award__08074.1391552 951.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Beantown Bronco
08-11-2016, 12:30 PM

When in doubt, go against the Pats fan.

BroncoBeavis
08-11-2016, 12:36 PM

It's really a matter of taste more than anything.

Dry-aged beef definitely tastes different. Some people appreciate that distinct taste more than others.

broncogary
08-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Totally. I never knew steak could be so fascinating.

But at least you know meatloaf. :wave:

Rohirrim
08-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Buy a top quality turkey, like Red Bird, and you don't have to worry about brining.

Requiem
08-11-2016, 01:33 PM
But at least you know meatloaf. :wave:

It was probably my favorite meal growing up.

"WE ARE GOING TO GRANDMA'S FOR MEATLOAF!"

*kids cheer and do back-flips into the 1986 Plymouth Voyager*

http://www.trbimg.com/img-50679ca7/turbine/la-hy-carlab-84-dodge-caravan.jpg/457/457x257

It is fun and it is easy and it reminds me of all the good times I had hanging out with my grandparents. I don't eat red meat much anymore, so when I make it once or twice a month, it is to honor them.

RepentWalpurgis
08-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Willy by knockout.

DHallblows
08-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Reminds me of an Always Sunny in Philadelphia quote. "I feel like you're wrong but I don't know enough about the subject to correct it" or something like that

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qn0uYtCScsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maher_tyler
08-11-2016, 02:51 PM

I love meatloaf's.

OLD CROW MEATLOAF?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j6mSK3pj5pg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maher_tyler
08-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Happy to report that Guadalajara has been long since rebuilt. Itís alive and well and overflowing night after night. I live, oh, probably 700 feet away. Youíre right, great fajitas although the rest of the menu is pedestrian. I can pick a place for the specific craving The tacos in this city are amazing...Iíve found some real Mexican food truck guys who will blow your mind away.

I miss the Texas BBQ places in Austin. Used to get up early on Sundays and drink their free beer before getting served the worldsí best brisket and other various offerings at 10 am. I recommend the ďhot gutsĒ (home made sausage) at la Barbecue.

Hot Wings n subs so fresh youíll forget that its layered subs in my hometown of Rochester NY not to mention the garbage plates late at night (hash browns--not the flat breakfast type-- and cold macaroni salad topped by two cheeseburgers, mustard, meat sauce (onions too but I hate them).

Lived in DC many years and the eclectic choices is overwhelming. Very underrated food town. Benís Chili Bowl for some hangover food. Cuban at Banana Cafe. Thereís a Chinese fast food place on Florida Ave that looks like it was directly transported from Beirut that has the best steamed pork dumplings ever.

NYC thin slice folded in half chased with Coke might be the best quick lunch on the planet. Chicago deep dish done right.

I had a gyro from a cart in an alley in Indianapolis that just about gave me rebirth as a human.

Indian and Ethiopian cuisines are criminally underrated.

The best food in the world is Italian and itís not even close.

My fav dish on Earth is one or two rolls of sushi along with a good teriyaki steak along with plum wine.

That's awesome. Was my favorite spot to eat in town. My mom and brothers came to visit and we ate there. The three Mexican guys that play music came to our table. They asked if we had any requests. My older Brother said Feliz Navidad...it was May Hilarious! they played it and laughed with us about it...love that place...good to hear they rebuilt it. This was the one i believe was on Kolb just south of Wal-Mart. The Sanoran Hot Dogs at the Swap Meet are pretty damn good to. Best in town imo.

http://www.nmgastronome.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/GueroCanelo04.jpg

Willynowei
08-11-2016, 04:02 PM
This is your first post. You clearly believe wet-aging is better. The fact is that wet-aging is pretty much a farce. No one that has a clue considers leaving a piece of meat in a bag in a refrigerator an ďaging processĒ one that goes to lengths to tenderize meat and produce a more ďbeefy tasteĒ. Slight improvement by letting a primal cut sit in your fridge for a few days? Yes, but minimal. There is presumably (hopefully) no oxygen in that bag therefore there is no oxidation of fat, which means that there is no development of funky flavors. A minimal amount of flavor change will occur through enzymatic reactions, but they are, well, minimal. This defeats the purpose of aging. Simple, wet aging is BS.

Sorry Willy, if you leave that 109A in your refrigerator long enough (10 days? 15? 20?) sitting in itís own blood and if even a smidge of harmful anaerobic bacteria makes its way into that bag, the meat will rot inside then you are going to end up with the nastiest smelling piece of **** youíve ever smelled.

This is the very reason people want dry-aged steak. It brings back the old time flavor people like. The flavor of meat pre-cryovac. The beef of my youth. Maybe you donít like it but many people do and are willing to pay for it.

As I explaind after the first week or so meat stops shedding moisture. Either way itís minimal. The amount of weight in that bag doesnít change, unless thereís a hole in the bag you are buying the meat and the blood.

90% of these are international? Chillean Sea Bass, Escargot, Rack of Lamb, Mini Lobster tails, Filet Mignon, Softshell crab, salt water Eel, Braised Porkbelly, Spanish Paella, Italian Seafood Carpaccio, Raw Kobe Beef salad, Fried Snake, Fried Chicken, Pork Shoulder - all kinds (smoked, BBQ, braised, etc), Ribs (BBQ or Smoked). I can almost all those things down the street (In America). You were trying to fit the Kobe in to prove a point. You lost on that one. You can admit it.

Water boils at 212įF, I said sous-vide at 122įF. Are you familiar with this method of cooking? I never said I cut off fat because I love me some fat, and I said a bone is nice to gnaw on. I think Iíve forgotten more about steak/meat than youíll ever know son, but keep pouting.

Sous-vide has itís place for sure. Thanksgiving dinner is not one of them. I agree. A backyard brabeque is not the setting either, but if you want a couple of perfectly cooked bone Ėin rib eye steaks it a completely acceptable method. Iím not sure why you went here. Let me guess, you plump up your bird with brine too? Ugggh.

I said itís a damn good steak, I never said or compared it to a professional broiler, nor did I say it was a secret. Itís different for sure. If you know what you are doing you can make a crust even better than some hack cook at a steak house. But if itís all about heat then cooking over a blast furnace would be even better right? Wrong, some of the best steaks Iíve had came off a grill; it gives that smoky goodness a restaurant broiler cant. Do you know why they use those broilers? Best flavor? No it is the most efficient way to cook hundreds of steaks quickly night after night. BTW a blowtorch is so 2004, itís all about the Searzall, keep up with the times.

Brining DOES NOT RETAIN moisture, it introduces it into the meat. You end up with a plumper piece of meatÖ..that is now 30% salt water! Great extra juices that are diluted with salty water.

Dry-aging is letting meat rot in a controlled environment . Letting food sit in your fridge at home is letting food rot in a bad way. Great Rote>Good rot>bad rot.

No Willy, slow down and read how it works. If you dry age an un-trimmed, bone-on, fat-cap intact prime rib, you'll end up losing about 30% of its total weight over the course of 21 to 30 days or so. BUT the weight is almost exclusively lost from the outer layersóthat is, the portion of the meat and fat that is going to be trimmed off anyway, regardless of whether it is aged or not. 4% moisture loss in the meat Willy. Ever notice that a dry-aged ribeye and a non-dry aged ribeye are the same size in the butchers case?

If you want to ruin a rib eye by brining it then by all means enjoy all that salt watery denatured goodness. There is only one reason to brine meatÖ..Corned Beef. Show me a recipe calling for brined ribeye and Iíll try it.

You refuse to listen to facts and rely on old wives tales. The carbon acts as insulation? How did you produce something on the periodic table out of meat? ****ing beautiful bunch of crap you put out there.

Again with your lack of knowledge about sous-vide cooking. But donít knock it till you try it. Have you?

I know my Asian cuisine too, you want to give that a go as well?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JB1x0O-bhrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>https://youtu.be/agNvp5GTJUg

Are all you Pats fans as anal as that constipated offensive coordinator that we kicked out of town?

Listen Captain Tight-Anus. I know the boiling point of water, but using the term "boiled steak" to refer to sous vide is really not far off the mark, next are you going to criticize me for calling the vacuum seal a "plastic bag"?

For your information I don't need to have an overpriced ****ty machine to produce the effect of Sous Vide. Unlike google based food nerds, I actually know my way around grills, broilers and stoves. All I need is a double boiler and a thermometer and I can create the same effect. I can even use a slow cooker or *GASP* a pasta strainer! Ever thought about that? Of course you haven't, you get your cooking knowledge from books, I get it from actually cooking food.... food so good it would make your wife divorce you for dinner at my place.

Some of your statements are ridiculous, of course the finished ribeye product is the same size, but how big was the ORIGINAL piece of meat? Dry aging involves both moisture loss and as you admitted, ALOT of trimming, that's yet another reason why it's so damn expensive per ounce.

You keep bringing up bacteria, GEEZ man, like there's no bacteria in dry aging? Remind us again why you have to trim so much of the meat away? I don't know.... maybe its that UGLY ASS MOLD growing off the side of meat???

Listen buddy, bacteria exists even when the cow is alive, and you're worried about how bacteria can make its way into the bag? Oh Geez such scary bacteria, must've been the bacteria that deflated Brady's balls.

Want to know a lovely fact about salt brines? Salt is the world's oldest preservative! That salt brine that I'm aging the meat in? IT PROTECTS THE MEAT. WOW! OMG wait, stop the presses! Let's take a ride on the magic ****ING school bus and review how humans have used salt to preserve foods for thousands of ****ing years - the entire ROOT of meat curing!

What this boils down to (like your plastic baggy steak) is the fact that refrigeration (hooray science!) has made an old process of preserving and curing meat obsolete in a line of cuisine that focuses on the JUICINESS of the finished product. Curing and dry aging still has its place, but in the steak world, its becoming niche for good reason - it's inferior in producing the juiciest steak possible, while being WAY MORE EXPENSIVE.

Your ideas are an anachronism in the steak world, struggling to hold on by the thread of tradition. You're a food nerd who reads a lot but doesn't cook, I can easily see that from your comments.

I'm running out of energy arguing with you all day. If we were neighbors I'd destroy you in a cook-off and that would be that. I've probably cooked more Asian food than you've eaten in your life, so don't go there unless you want to be spanked harder than Brady was by Von Miller.

Requiem
08-11-2016, 04:48 PM
lol

Kaylore
08-11-2016, 05:50 PM
The basic process involves soaking meat (usually lean meats like turkey, chicken, or pork chop) in a tubful of heavily salted water overnight (most brines are int he 5 to 8% salt range by weight water). Over the course of the night, the meat absorbs some of that water. More importantly, that water stays put even after the meat is cooked. By brining meat, you can decrease the amount of total moisture loss by 30 to 40%.That means that that extra 30 to 40% savings in moisture loss is not really turkey juicesóit's plain old tap water. Many folks who eat brined birds have that very complaint: It's juicy, but the juice is watery.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

Care to expand on where I'm wrong?

This post disproves your earlier one where you said it doesn't add moisture. And no one besides you has ever said it makes meat stringy. That makes no sense. And I would research ion exchange before you keep spamming your pseudoscience on how it works.

And you can flavor your brine. The idea that it makes your chicken taste like tap water is total bull****. There are a ton of aromatics that are water soluble, but even if not, there's still ****ing salt in the meat! And you brine, and then can do a dry or wet rub. There's a lot to cooking. No one is saying brine and do nothing else. Only an idiot would think that was his point.

It's like you don't even know what you're doing.

Gort
08-11-2016, 06:04 PM
This post disproves your earlier one where you said it doesn't add moisture. And no one besides you has ever said it makes meat stringy. That makes no sense. And I would research ion exchange before you keep spamming your pseudoscience on how it works.

And you can flavor your brine. The idea that it makes your chicken taste like tap water is total bull****. There are a ton of aromatics that are water soluble, but even if not, there's still ****ing salt in the meat! And you brine, and then can do a dry or wet rub. There's a lot to cooking. No one is saying brine and do nothing else. Only an idiot would think that was his point.

It's like you don't even know what you're doing.

^^^

http://trofire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/dayum.gif

Willynowei
08-11-2016, 06:28 PM
The carbon acts as insulation? How did you produce something on the periodic table out of meat? ****ing beautiful bunch of crap you put out there.

Almost forgot this gem.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious! Hilarious!

Seriously, you don't even know what happens when food browns/burns...

How did I produce something on the periodic table from meat?

DO YOU KNOW HOW THE PERIODIC TABLE ****ING WORKS?

Bronx33
08-11-2016, 08:06 PM
the red baron never got shot down this many times....

A Defiant Goose
08-12-2016, 04:41 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qn0uYtCScsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMFAO that's it. Perfect

AlaskaMagnum
08-12-2016, 05:40 AM
They inject that salt water in cheap Walmart meat to " enhance flavor and juiciness". It's gross and I don't like paying for salt water. They do the same crap with turkeys and they sure don't taste like a real barnyard turkey. Most Americans do not like intense flavored meat. Venison is not "gamey", it just tastes like deer. If you get a chance, buy some Berkshire pork and you will remember what pork used to taste like

Requiem
08-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Berkshire pork is so tender you wonder how the hog ever walked.

Das Rote Baron
08-12-2016, 06:26 AM
For your information I don't need to have an overpriced ****ty machine to produce the effect of Sous Vide. Unlike google based food nerds, I actually know my way around grills, broilers and stoves. All I need is a double boiler and a thermometer and I can create the same effect. I can even use a slow cooker or *GASP* a pasta strainer! Ever thought about that?

No I never thought of using a double boiler or pasta strainer (colander) to cook a steak, although I have seen DIY crock-pot hacks and beer cooler techniques used with varying degrees of success. At least itís an open-minded approach. An immersion circulator, the piece of equipment chefs have embraced, and are being used around the world, can be had for $200. It's not the end all be all of cooking but it is another tool. To patently dismiss technology in the kitchen is ridiculous. Convection ovens, combi-ovens, induction cookers, micro-planes, thermo-pens, even microwave ovens are all modern tools that chefs embrace. I guess you prefer to cook over a campfire like a caveman? But no, Iron Chef Wei is too good for technology. Maybe you could explain how that pasta strainer works?

Of course you haven't, you get your cooking knowledge from books, I get it from actually cooking food.... food so good it would make your wife divorce you for dinner at my place. I certainly read up on cooking. You don't? I read enough to know that you do not brine a rib eye steak. Period.

Some of your statements are ridiculous, of course the finished rib eye product is the same size, but how big was the ORIGINAL piece of meat? Dry aging involves both moisture loss and as you admitted, ALOT of trimming, that's yet another reason why it's so damn expensive per ounce. Comprehension is not a strong point for you Wei. I explained to you that there is not a ton of water magically evaporating from the MEAT. You disagreed (at the time anyways) and suggested brining as a way of mitigating the loss. I provided an example of the finished cut, after trimming, looking similar in size as the un-aged meat. I explained that most of the loss from the whole muscle is due to trimming the fat and desiccated meat at the end of the aging process. You said it was expensive because "it takes up space". But I'm being ridiculous?

You keep bringing up bacteria, GEEZ man, like there's no bacteria in dry aging? Remind us again why you have to trim so much of the meat away? I don't know.... maybe its that UGLY ASS MOLD growing off the side of meat???
Listen buddy, bacteria exists even when the cow is alive, and you're worried about how bacteria can make its way into the bag? Oh Geez such scary bacteria, must've been the bacteria that deflated Brady's balls.

There is good enzymatic action as well as mold growth being controlled in the dry aging process. There are bad bacteria that can be dangerous in wet aging and dry aging but because wet aging happens in the absence of oxygen the bacteria are different and potentially more dangerous and itís why Iíd be particularly cautious of wet aging meat for a prolonged period of time. There is a difference between bacteria and enzymes. Just a fact Wei. The mold and desiccated meat are trimmed away, why should I explain that. It's the normal process. It's all the parts in dry-aging meat. You don't like aged meat. That's okay too. You think people are idiots that like it. That's ok too. You can't afford it, I understand. Then to show how much of a child you are and can't have an adult conversation you drag it through the mud by bringing up Brady's Balls and my wife divorcing me for you because you are such an Iron Chef. Did you need to get into my family Wei? Itís a ****ing debate about dry aging vs. Wet.

Want to know a lovely fact about salt brines? Salt is the world's oldest preservative! That salt brine that I'm aging the meat in? IT PROTECTS THE MEAT. WOW! OMG wait, stop the presses! Let's take a ride on the magic ****ING school bus and review how humans have used salt to preserve foods for thousands of ****ing years - the entire ROOT of meat curing! Salt CURING has been done for thousands of years, very good Willy. WET BRINING is different you putz. NOBODY wet brines a rib eye and then to say you wet brine in order to age it is ****ing ridiculous assclown. And of course you are aging the entire sub primal rib eye? How big is your apartment fridge Wei? Oh right you are full of ****.

What this boils down to (like your plastic baggy steak) is the fact that refrigeration (hooray science!) has made an old process of preserving and curing meat obsolete in a line of cuisine that focuses on the JUICINESS of the finished product. Curing and dry aging still has its place, but in the steak world, its becoming niche for good reason - it's inferior in producing the juiciest steak possible, while being WAY MORE EXPENSIVE.

Where is that juiciness coming from Wei? The water or the FAT you idiot. The fat from a PRIME piece of meat is what makes it juicier, unless you like watery meat, which I guess you do since you are the only person to be dumb enough to brine a ****ing prime rib eye.

So curing meat is obsolete? That's why Peter Lugar's has no customers. Ok Wei if you say so. Thatís why the steak house segment of the market is exploding right? Thatís why Pat LaFrieda canít keep up with demand.

Your ideas are an anachronism in the steak world, struggling to hold on by the thread of tradition. You're a food nerd who reads a lot but doesn't cook, I can easily see that from your comments. And you're the one who's going to cook a steak in a pasta colander to mimic the controlled environment required in sous vide cooking. Good luck.

I'm running out of energy arguing with you all day. If we were neighbors I'd destroy you in a cook-off and that would be that. I've probably cooked more Asian food than you've eaten in your life, so don't go there unless you want to be spanked harder than Brady was by Von Miller. Ooooh a cook off sounds fun. How old are you like 16?

Willynowei
08-12-2016, 06:32 AM
They inject that salt water in cheap Walmart meat to " enhance flavor and juiciness". It's gross and I don't like paying for salt water. They do the same crap with turkeys and they sure don't taste like a real barnyard turkey. Most Americans do not like intense flavored meat. Venison is not "gamey", it just tastes like deer. If you get a chance, buy some Berkshire pork and you will remember what pork used to taste like

I've never tried injected meat at Walmart but I'd imagine they do a real sloppy job there, your point about meat not tasting like what it used to is a major problem everywhere.

It's probably the worst in the US because we have, by far, the most efficient and machine-like food production industry in the world. Ours is the most standardized, ours is the most genetically engineered. Genetic engineering has been around since the Egyptians and Chinese, but the food in the US is on another level.

I'm not sure I mind too much, I mean look at our duckbreast right, it's less flavorful than European or Asian duck. But just freaking look at it, it's 2~4 times the size with twice the fat.

How do you expect the American consumer to say no to that?

And as for steak, like I said, i'm looking for that juicy bite. Lamb, chicken is a bit different but what can you do nowadays?

Das Rote Baron
08-12-2016, 06:42 AM
Almost forgot this gem.

I explained how meat browns Wei. You just don't listen. Maillard Reaction: a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars. Sure let that meat continue to cook until the sugar turns to carbon. You burned it, not browned it.Or do you burn your water logged Rib Eye on purpose? And explain that "Insulation" theory again. Iron Chef Wei.......Hilarious!

Willynowei
08-12-2016, 06:44 AM
So now you're bringing up overpriced and over advertised restaurants to support your claims about steak? That's like trying to explain to audiophiles that Beats & Bose headphones are popular & expensive because of their audio quality! GIVE UP while you are way behind!

The point about your wife is obviously a joke, its clear you've got some problems. Go back to your shrink red baron, better cool off before you fly yourself into a wall! Hilarious!

You know what, i have a suggestion, maybe go back to the forums of your hometown team so you stop getting bullied around by a 16 year old? Hilarious!Hilarious!:wave:

Added: I have you quoted on not understanding how burning produces carbon, so don't walk back on your statements now you little bitch. All the googling in the world won't fix the bull****ting you did earlier.

Let's face it man, you don't know ****. You sat there all day googling to try to win this argument and you STILL LOST. You've flip-flopped around on so many issues in this debate you should enter the presidential race this year!
Hilarious!Hilarious!

Das Rote Baron
08-12-2016, 06:51 AM
So now you're bringing up overpriced and over advertised restaurants to support your claims about steak?

That's like trying to explain to audiophiles that Beats & Bose headphones are popular & expensive because of their audio quality!

GIVE UP while you are way behind!

The point about your wife is obviously a joke, its clear you've got some problems. Go back to your shrink red baron, better cool off before you fly yourself into a wall!

Hey i have a suggestion, maybe go back to the forums of your hometown team so you stop getting bullied around by a 16 year old?

Behind? No more misinformation to spew Wei? Nice tap-out. BTW you're the one that brought up the over rated over priced Peter Lugar's. Good luck with that brined rib eye Hilarious!

Willynowei
08-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Behind? No more misinformation to spew Wei? Nice tap-out. BTW you're the one that brought up the over rated over priced Peter Lugar's. Good luck with that brined rib eye Hilarious!

This coming from the guy who pretends to know all about food chemistry when he doesn't even know how the periodic table works. Hilarious!

I brought up Peter Lugar's steakhouse as an example of overpriced meat. Look, Kiddo, go play with the nicer kiddies before you get a heart attack. This argument is taking too much time, so you can have the last word. You destroyed all your credibility long ago when you screwed up on the food chemistry comments.

It's time to move on now. My long weekend is here! Time to grill up some steaks and bang my hot girlfriend. BYE! :sunshine:

Das Rote Baron
08-12-2016, 07:10 AM
This coming from the guy who pretends to know all about food chemistry when he doesn't even know how the periodic table works. Hilarious!

I brought up Peter Lugar's steakhouse as an example of overpriced meat. Look, Kiddo, go play with the nicer kiddies before you get a heart attack. This argument is taking too much time, so you can have the last word. You destroyed all your credibility long ago when you screwed up on the food chemistry comments.

It's time to move on now. My long weekend is here! Time to grill up some steaks and bang my hot girlfriend. BYE! :sunshine:

Thank you.

My food chemistry stands as is. The truth. You have no clue, as proved by your insistence on brining a rib eye.

Wei: The exterior crusting in a high heat commercial broiler creates an outer finish that is primarily carbon = burn. This layer of carbon actually acts as insulation from heat but also it prevents some of that moisture from escaping.

Baron: The carbon acts as insulation? How did you produce something on the periodic table out of meat?

Answer: It does not act as an insulator. And how do produce something on the periodic table? You burn it. Not brown or caramelize it, you burn it.

Good luck with the girl, hope she finally gives it up.

Kaylore
08-12-2016, 07:11 AM
I usually put people on ignore when they demonstrate a fundamental level of idiocy that I know will detract from my viewing experience. Today marks the first time I've put someone on ignore because of their views on food and cooking.

lol "Waterlogged ribeye" what a ****ing idiot.

Irish Stout
08-12-2016, 07:13 AM
I usually put people on ignore when they demonstrate a fundamental level of idiocy that I know will detract from my viewing experience. Today marks the first time I've put someone on ignore because of their views on food and cooking.

Seriously?!?! How can you not be entertained by this?

Das Rote Baron
08-12-2016, 07:38 AM

Good so you won't see this. Thats what it is, a brined rib eye is now injected with salt water. ****ing brilliant move. He just increased weight, muted the flavor. That's fact. Ignore me and the facts.

broncocalijohn
08-12-2016, 08:01 AM
My new favorite food is my wife making me a ham sandwich and reading the last few pages about steak.

Requiem
08-12-2016, 08:03 AM
My new favorite food is my wife making me a ham sandwich and reading the last few pages about steak.

You need to give us more details about the sandwich, John.

DHallblows
08-12-2016, 08:27 AM
You need to give us more details about the sandwich, John.

Not the half of that statement that I want details on

Kaylore
08-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Hilarious!

BroncoBeavis
08-12-2016, 08:34 AM

Make sure to give her a good brining after.

RepentWalpurgis
08-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Please don't quote the patsie.

Requiem
08-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Did someone say pastie?

http://www.unco.edu/dining/images/dining/chef/pastie04.JPG

RepentWalpurgis
08-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Did someone say pastie?

http://www.unco.edu/dining/images/dining/chef/pastie04.JPG

I want that. What is it?

Drunk Monkey
08-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Costco was selling prime tomahawk rib eyes last weekend. I bought a 3 ponder. It was glorious. Seared it over direct high heat coals then moved it to the side to get up to 120 degrees. I also threw on a chunk of hickory to give it a touch of smoke. Served with a baked potato, asparagus, and mushrooms sauteed in red wine and butter...... I wept from the sheer majesty of that first bite.

DHallblows
08-12-2016, 09:20 AM
So we still have no idea who is right?! Well **** me

Requiem
08-12-2016, 09:21 AM
I want that. What is it?

A pastie / pasty.

You said something about a patsie.

I GIVE YOU PASTIE.

PASTY?

PASTIES?

You've never had one?

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/content/dam/images/cook/fullset/2012/6/15/1/CC_Michigan-Pasty-Meat-Hand-Pie-Recipe_s4x3.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.616.462.jpeg

Beantown Bronco
08-12-2016, 09:25 AM
aka an empanada

AlaskaMagnum
08-12-2016, 10:57 AM
aka an empanada

No, empanadas have something a pastie does not...FLAVOR. They eat these things like crazy in the UP where salt is apparently illegal...

Rohirrim
08-12-2016, 11:54 AM
I never understood the rage about Bose audio. It always sounded tinny to me. I like Harmon Kardon.

Rohirrim
08-12-2016, 11:56 AM
aka an empanada

Loved those when I lived in Florida. Cuban black bean soup. There was this little place called The Latin America Restaurant. Lemony rice. Mmmm

Beantown Bronco
08-12-2016, 12:41 PM
I never understood the rage about Bose audio. It always sounded tinny to me. I like Harmon Kardon.

Agreed. Especially the noise cancelling head phones when hooked into a phone or other mobile device. You have to crank up the sound and the distortion sucks. And for $300ish? Crazy.

BroncoBeavis
08-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Bose is the older generations' version of Beats.

All marketing. Mediocre quality. Insane profit margins.

kappys
08-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Bose is the older generations' version of Beats.

All marketing. Mediocre quality. Insane profit margins.

Bose speakers used to be really high quality. They are still pretty good but they days when you needed to invest a lot of of money to get decent sound quality are over

pricejj
08-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Like I said I know beef and Dick Montfort is a scumbag.:wave:

Who the **** is Dick Montfort?

Bronc0guy
08-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Costco was selling prime tomahawk rib eyes last weekend. I bought a 3 ponder. It was glorious. Seared it over direct high heat coals then moved it to the side to get up to 120 degrees. I also threw on a chunk of hickory to give it a touch of smoke. Served with a baked potato, asparagus, and mushrooms sauteed in red wine and butter...... I wept from the sheer majesty of that first bite.

Prime tomahawk?

manchambo
08-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Almost forgot this gem.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious! Hilarious!

That is a remarkable statement. Wouldn't it be more surprising if you produced something from meet that didn't come from the periodic table?

Old Coyote
08-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Smoked Bear was pretty good on Thursday. :thumbs:

And thanks for coming around here Baron, you and your maholes remind us all that Cheatriot Tears enhance the flavor of anything. I also love the flavor of knowing Crybaby Brady is now as old as Manning during the decline. (Notice how that thought just bores down to the center of the Mahole heart as the Mahole mind tries desperately to figure out a way to cheat the situation away from the facts) :~ohyah!:

Other than that, there are too many Cows. So I've decided to eat them all, one glorious (bloody on the inside yet charred black on the outside) steak at a time. ^5

Also eating carbonated food can actually help filter the intestine by chelating other minerals clogging the inner lining, it also helps with acid indigestion. So there are gives and takes.
Plus it just makes things taste delicious like butter or bacon. Life would suck without flavor. Kinda like that "Earth with out Art is just Eh" thing.

My favorite dish is a wild greens salad with mushrooms olive oil & balsamic vinegar paired with garlic and rosemary roasted apios potatoes accompanying a super thick steak quickly seared in butter then wrapped in Bacon and broiled or grilled. :yayaya:

Das Rote Baron
08-13-2016, 01:17 PM
And thanks for coming around here Baron, you and your maholes remind us all that Cheatriot Tears enhance the flavor of anything. I also love the flavor of knowing Crybaby Brady is now as old as Manning during the decline. (Notice how that thought just bores down to the center of the Mahole heart as the Mahole mind tries desperately to figure out a way to cheat the situation away from the facts)

Yawn.

Drunk Monkey
08-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Prime tomahawk?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/82/82/7582826dba06a23ab1f06bbe1b0cb9df.jpg

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/qt/primebeef.htm

OABB
08-14-2016, 05:54 AM
I'm not reading the whole thread, but has anyone responded "your moms vagina" yet?

OABB
08-14-2016, 05:57 AM

I came

Bronc0guy
08-14-2016, 08:32 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/82/82/7582826dba06a23ab1f06bbe1b0cb9df.jpg

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/qt/primebeef.htm

Sweet lord.

Bronc0guy
08-14-2016, 08:33 AM
I'm not reading the whole thread, but has anyone responded "your moms vagina" yet?

No, but I believe someone has mentioned a whale's vagina.

Doggcow
08-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Anyone not answering ass, hasn't had any good ass.

smtanner
08-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Bose speakers used to be really high quality. They are still pretty good but they days when you needed to invest a lot of of money to get decent sound quality are over

Bose speakers and systems are currently the biggest scam in the home audio market. Haven't heard a modern Bose system that wasn't full of distortion. If you like distorted lows, missing mids, and sibilant highs, then Bose is a good choice.

broncocalijohn
08-14-2016, 02:29 PM

1st response was Casa Bonita

2nd response was close to what you asked.

Does the Mane ever disappoint?

10 pages in and after a battle between Das Baron and Willy, we are now bitching about speakers. Yep, the Mane right on course.

Doggcow
08-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Bose speakers and systems are currently the biggest scam in the home audio market. Haven't heard a modern Bose system that wasn't full of distortion. If you like distorted lows, missing mids, and sibilant highs, then Bose is a good choice.

Bose are the "monster cable" of sound lol.

I've been using this TDK Bluetooth Speaker for my projector tv for like a year now, and honestly I'm satisfied with it. It was only like $50 on deals on Amazon too lol.