PDA

View Full Version : ESPN crash coming?

Gort
08-05-2016, 11:05 PM
somewhat interesting article/opinion piece about the "impending" crash of the ESPN business model.

I'm not against ESPN -- or certainly FS1 or NBCSN or CBSSN or any other sports cable channel -- I just see the collapse of the cable and satellite bundle as a major story that most in the sports industry are ignoring. When the bubble officially pops -- and it may well have already popped without most realizing it -- it's going to change everything about sports -- team revenue and player salaries will plummet and the way that average fans consume sports will change rapidly.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-4-million-subscribers-in-past-year-080416

Doggcow
08-05-2016, 11:16 PM
I haven't turned ESPN on in a year or so lol

UberBroncoMan
08-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Yeah, now that I think about it I've not watched it in years.

DomCasual
08-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Here seems to be the key sentence in the entire article: "Sure, advertising money and ESPN2 and ESPNU have to be factored in as well..."

Okay, well that doesn't seem like it's insignificant enough to be a throw-in sentence on a 4000-word article. Advertising revenue for a televesion network seems like it might be, you know, kind of significant. The author acts as if it's akin to finding change in your couch cushions.

maven
08-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Old people dying

Drunken.Broncoholic2
08-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Here seems to be the key sentence in the entire article: "Sure, advertising money and ESPN2 and ESPNU have to be factored in as well..."

Okay, well that doesn't seem like it's insignificant enough to be a throw-in sentence on a 4000-word article. Advertising revenue for a televesion network seems like it might be, you know, kind of significant. The author acts as if it's akin to finding change in your couch cushions.

When the viewers shrink, the advertisers start jumping ship. Paying that much money and not hitting the target number of people they want, the tide will change. Advertisers will adapt to the large number of people dropping cable and follow the trend.

I used to watch ESPN a lot. Not anymore. Only games. Ever since I got my new TV I've watched less cable more internet.

Raidersbane
08-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Havent watched tv 6 or 7 in years.......streaming good!

RonMexico
08-05-2016, 11:47 PM
I don't watch ESPN...too centered to east and west coast markets and waaaaaay too political. The political advocacy stuff pushed me over the edge.

Mile High Salute
08-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Not the same since Stuart Scott passed.

RIP

TomServo
08-06-2016, 02:41 AM
we have Dish and we just got NFL network back after, i dunno six weeks or so.
i have to say i didn't notice it was gone for a week or so. It was kinda nice missing out on the Von Miller soap opera.
I would gladly pay say $2.00 to watch a Thursday night bronco game and miss all the other crappy Thursday night games.

B-Large
08-06-2016, 06:36 AM
I've had an antenna for 10 years, only use ESPN website occasionally.

cousinal11
08-06-2016, 06:57 AM
It's a shame what espn has become. I pretty much only watched Prime Time or maybe a SportsCenter with Dan Patrick on it a decade ago but now only watch Monday Night Football.

They have let a lot of talent walk away.

bronco_diesel
08-06-2016, 06:58 AM
ESPN right now is like a bad movie remake. The original was great but the remake sucks.

What made it great was these guys who loved sports and had a great way of translating that through television. Now it is a bunch of people trying to copy that through formula and it just stinks.

GoneFishin'
08-06-2016, 07:01 AM
People are already buying MLB TV to watch baseball games. League Pass and Ballstreams, which may no longer exist, for basketball. The writing on the wall is there. Just like newspapers which are closing up shop left and right so will cable companies and even the big networks eventually as more and more people migrate to the internet for everything.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2016, 07:22 AM
The internet is only bringing competition, increasing pressure. So long as huge media conglomerates own the biggest content, there will be bundling.

Just slightly tighter bundles catering more to what individuals want.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-06-2016, 07:26 AM
I really only keep espn on for background noise at this point when I'm studying.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-06-2016, 07:28 AM
I don't watch ESPN...too centered to east and west coast markets and waaaaaay too political. The political advocacy stuff pushed me over the edge.

Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me. People watch sports to get away from the real word for awhile. Same with movies. Don't drag that crap into it.

hades
08-06-2016, 07:34 AM
#ESPNLivesMatter

OBF1
08-06-2016, 07:50 AM
When the broadcasters tried to become bigger than the sport itself, It went down hill fast. Been years since I watched it beside the occasional football game. Maybe when Berman the a-hole retires it will head the other direction. Throw in a program director that has some say in the final product and it could get better... I doubt it happens but you never know.

RIP ESPN.

RonMexico
08-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me. People watch sports to get away from the real word for awhile. Same with movies. Don't drag that crap into it.

Exactly.

We get enough incessant political advocacy from everywhere else. No need to ruin sports with it too.

Atwater His Ass
08-06-2016, 08:40 AM
When the broadcasters tried to become bigger than the sport itself, It went down hill fast. Been years since I watched it beside the occasional football game. Maybe when Berman the a-hole retires it will head the other direction. Throw in a program director that has some say in the final product and it could get better... I doubt it happens but you never know.

RIP ESPN.

Couldn't agree more. Berman should have been put out to pasture a decade ago.

I remember in the 90's getting up early to watch the pre-game shows and flipping through them looking for Bronco coverage. And then I discovered the internet. Haven't been back since.

rmsanger
08-06-2016, 08:43 AM
I like the fooseball games, mike and mike, and fantasy focus podcast/Sunday morning ff show.

Dat it.

:afro:

Tombstone RJ
08-06-2016, 10:02 AM
ESPN is all about ESPN and that's its problem. It's also more worried about being PC and endorsing social change than it is about the sports it's covering. In other words, it's not really doing what it's supposed to do, promote sports and report on sports. It's more about how great ESPN and social commentary.

Piss off ESPN.

razorwire77
08-06-2016, 11:15 AM
ESPN is a big box electronics store in the era of Kodi. It's only a matter of time.

broncocalijohn
08-06-2016, 11:45 AM
If it isn't college football time, I am rarely go to those channels. I have 213 MLB, 212 NFL Network and then ESPN channels that are alternates until I hit 209 on my direct tv. I really believe that makes a difference and I won't click the down button. I have Fox Sports West for my Angels and wish they would really go hard on competition with ESPN but use a regional format for their coverage.

broncosteven
08-06-2016, 01:34 PM
I DVR NFL Insiders and NFL live but can do without everything else unless they have a football game on.

Drunk Monkey
08-06-2016, 01:47 PM
I cut the cord last year. I do miss Espin, when I travel for work that is my background noise in the hotel room.

Bronx33
08-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I stopped watching ESPN when they dropped the NHL games years ago.

ColoradoDarin
08-06-2016, 03:27 PM
I stopped watching ESPN when they dropped the NHL games years ago.

When they lost NHL games, they started almost ignoring the sport altogether. If we don't have it, then you can't get good recaps on Sports Center. But hey, we've got the rights to WNBA, which no one watches, so here's a bunch of "highlights" of that.

ColoradoDarin
08-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Really loved them back in the late 90s. I would tune in every night, the year that McGwire and Sosa roided their way to all the home runs was great.

What a sh*tshow they've become.

TomServo
08-07-2016, 03:28 AM
"dish" just got nfl network back. So i missed all the von miller crap. and i didnt care.
I detest espn. if i could scrub them from my sat. package i would. Except for nfl games, They can take all their PC bob costas Crap. All i want is live football. Keep your PC gun control to yourself Bob.