PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Denver: An All Time Great D

Gutless Drunk
08-01-2016, 10:03 AM
"1. Safety T.J. Ward was correct in saying Denver’s defense has “no ceiling” and “can be the best of all time.” OK, yes, Ward runs his mouth every now and then. And it’s a little too soon to be talking about all time. In fact, the Seahawks still have the NFL’s best defense over the aggregate last five years. But sometimes hyperbole is necessary to get the discussion rolling in the right direction. Discussing this Broncos D in “all time” terms is the right direction. Going off yards per play, this was the NFL’s No. 1 run defense and pass defense last year. And it was the best playmaking defense, as well, ranking eighth in takeaways and first in sacks. A huge portion of those plays were game-swingers. In the playoffs, the Broncos faced three top-five quarterbacks from 2015 (Roethlisberger, Brady, Newton) and allowed 14.6 points a game.

2. Speaking of Ward, it’s hard to understate his value to his defense. Besides being an aggressive hitter, Ward can play solo man coverage against running backs and tight ends—including, as he showed in the postseason, top-shelf ones like Rob Gronkowski and Greg Olsen. He’s also a terrific blitzer. The Broncos do a great job deploying their safeties in a variety of ways. Ward headlines that.

3. Having three lockdown corners in Aqib Talib, Chris Harris and Bradley Roby is Denver’s greatest asset because it allows imaginative defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to do whatever he wants with his front seven. In the Super Bowl, Phillips played these three corners along with just one safety, leaving all of his base front seven defenders on the field, even when the Panthers were in three-receiver sets. The heavier box destroyed Carolina’s ground game. (By the way, the other time Denver did this three-corner package was its Week 8 demolition of the Packers.) You can only play this way if you trust your corners to win one-on-one. Many NFL teams don’t even have one corner who can be trusted to this degree. Even more impressive is that, while Talib, Harris and Roby are superb man defenders, they’re also proficient in zone. Talib can be sloppy here at times, but he’s so dangerous breaking on balls from off-coverage that QBs still have to think twice about him. Harris’s spatial awareness is second to none. And Roby is fast evolving into a second coming of Harris.

4. For all the talk about Denver’s corners, its defensive line is just as important. Derek Wolfe is an elite point-of-attack run defender. And to think: The Broncos extended his contract by four years for just a little over half the market price in guarantees ($17.5 million). At nose tackle, Sylvester Williams has excellent feet for a big man. The question with this front is: How much will departed free agent Malik Jackson be missed? He was the playmaker. It will likely take second-round rookie Adam Gotsis a little time to become that, if he becomes that at all."

Continued at - http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/01/nfl-denver-broncos-2016-preview-scouting-report-tj-ward

Requiem
08-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the read, Gutless.

DENVERDUI55
08-01-2016, 10:57 AM
"TJ Ward and Von suck and should hand back paychecks immediately!" -Queefluigi

Kaylore
08-01-2016, 11:03 AM
I am curious how they compensate for the possible loss of Jackson's interior pressure. Sly is in a contract year, and Wolfe is still here. I would love to see some additional packages on third down that have Ware and Miller outside and Wolfe and Shaq or Ray inside.

DENVERDUI55
08-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I am curious how they compensate for the possible loss of Jackson's interior pressure. Sly is in a contract year, and Wolfe is still here. I would love to see some additional packages on third down that have Ware and Miller outside and Wolfe and Shaq or Ray inside.

Crick and the hard hat/lunch pail should provide some push. Send an extra guy probably will happen a little more too.

Smilin Assassin
08-01-2016, 12:56 PM

I think Vance Walker was more disruptive than people realize. And, he was only situational. If he can do that consistently this season, I don't think there will be much (if any) drop off at all.

bpc
08-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Great read. From a helicopter perspective, this consensus based on our defense makes me want Lynch to start right away more than ever. The sooner we can get a difference maker under center, the better, even if he's running 1/3 of the offense right off the bat. We have to get him going to take advantage of this defense for the max time we have it. You only truly get better by doing.

Regarding the defense, love that we restocked the safety position. So critical in this defense to be able to play man/zone and roll safeties. Simmons will be big for us this year. We are deep at CB/S/OLB. Regarding replacing Malik, that will be a challenge but I would say Wolfe was getting better consistent pressure vs. Jackson especially down the stretch last season. Vance Walker will be an important depth guy, Crick will be similar to his acquisition last year, and Gotsis of course is the wild card. I don't think we'll have the same edge to our pass rush on our front line, but think we'll be tougher vs. the run where as Malik would get pushed around more or moved out of the way by taking chances.

I do agree with Kaylore. One thing I'd love to see this season is Wade able to mix nickel/dime lineup and pass rushers. Would be fun to see somebody step into a Karl Mecklenberg type position where they could move from OLB, to MLB, to DE or NT and really create havoc on the the offensive line. Would be interesting to see Miller, Ware, Barrett, Ray in some unison on the field together.

Shananahan
08-01-2016, 01:21 PM
2. Speaking of Ward, it’s hard to understate his value to his defense.
Hmmmmm.

qbronco
08-01-2016, 02:02 PM
I know I'm being ultra-critical, but I seriously think this year's Defense could be better than last season. They have a full year now knowing WP's Defense. More of a commitment to running the ball should keep them fresher. Crazy to think they could be even better.

RonMexico
08-01-2016, 02:03 PM
"1. Safety T.J. Ward was correct in saying Denver’s defense has “no ceiling” and “can be the best of all time.” OK, yes, Ward runs his mouth every now and then. And it’s a little too soon to be talking about all time. In fact, the Seahawks still have the NFL’s best defense over the aggregate last five years. But sometimes hyperbole is necessary to get the discussion rolling in the right direction. Discussing this Broncos D in “all time” terms is the right direction. Going off yards per play, this was the NFL’s No. 1 run defense and pass defense last year. And it was the best playmaking defense, as well, ranking eighth in takeaways and first in sacks. A huge portion of those plays were game-swingers. In the playoffs, the Broncos faced three top-five quarterbacks from 2015 (Roethlisberger, Brady, Newton) and allowed 14.6 points a game.

2. Speaking of Ward, it’s hard to understate his value to his defense. Besides being an aggressive hitter, Ward can play solo man coverage against running backs and tight ends—including, as he showed in the postseason, top-shelf ones like Rob Gronkowski and Greg Olsen. He’s also a terrific blitzer. The Broncos do a great job deploying their safeties in a variety of ways. Ward headlines that.

3. Having three lockdown corners in Aqib Talib, Chris Harris and Bradley Roby is Denver’s greatest asset because it allows imaginative defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to do whatever he wants with his front seven. In the Super Bowl, Phillips played these three corners along with just one safety, leaving all of his base front seven defenders on the field, even when the Panthers were in three-receiver sets. The heavier box destroyed Carolina’s ground game. (By the way, the other time Denver did this three-corner package was its Week 8 demolition of the Packers.) You can only play this way if you trust your corners to win one-on-one. Many NFL teams don’t even have one corner who can be trusted to this degree. Even more impressive is that, while Talib, Harris and Roby are superb man defenders, they’re also proficient in zone. Talib can be sloppy here at times, but he’s so dangerous breaking on balls from off-coverage that QBs still have to think twice about him. Harris’s spatial awareness is second to none. And Roby is fast evolving into a second coming of Harris.

4. For all the talk about Denver’s corners, its defensive line is just as important. Derek Wolfe is an elite point-of-attack run defender. And to think: The Broncos extended his contract by four years for just a little over half the market price in guarantees ($17.5 million). At nose tackle, Sylvester Williams has excellent feet for a big man. The question with this front is: How much will departed free agent Malik Jackson be missed? He was the playmaker. It will likely take second-round rookie Adam Gotsis a little time to become that, if he becomes that at all."

Continued at - http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/01/nfl-denver-broncos-2016-preview-scouting-report-tj-ward

It's hard to imagine, but Broncos fans in general haven't figured out what TJ Ward is.

If a safety doesn't decleat everyone like every play like an Atwater highlight film then it seems hard for folks to even find the safety on the field.

Ward is a key No Fly Zone piece. He allows you to keep a run defender on in the secondary on pass plays. He's legit in both the run and pass defenses and makes game-changing plays like tackles for losses, pass break-ups, turnovers, and recoveries.

And yes, he can hit.

Ward is the best strong safety ever to put the Broncos jersey on.

Rabb
08-01-2016, 02:05 PM

Get the **** off of this board now please.

Requiem
08-01-2016, 02:24 PM

How could he forget Kenoy Kennedy? :~ohyah!:

ZONA
08-01-2016, 02:38 PM

That was a great article. Thanks for sharing.

ZONA
08-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Yeah, RonMexico doesn't see alot of things too clearly.

ColoradoDarin
08-01-2016, 02:45 PM

You Outta Know™

mwill07
08-01-2016, 02:46 PM
is it possible the 2016 D > 2015 D?

LikeABoss5820
08-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Said before i think having three #1 CB's is the biggest asset to the defense, allows Wade to do so much up front.

TotallyScrewed
08-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Crick and the hard hat/lunch pail should provide some push. Send an extra guy probably will happen a little more too.

high hopes for Crick. He was an absolute plowhorse at Nebr.

Kaylore
08-01-2016, 02:55 PM
I know I'm being ultra-critical, but I seriously think this year's Defense could be better than last season. They have a full year now knowing WP's Defense. More of a commitment to running the ball should keep them fresher. Crazy to think they could be even better.

I could see them statistically showing better so long as we aren't turning the ball over the way we were last year and we run the ball better.

TotallyScrewed
08-01-2016, 03:02 PM
I could see them statistically showing better so long as we aren't turning the ball over the way we were last year and we run the ball better.

They should be better statistically (points per game) by avoiding the P6.
Aside from the PPG, I think that everyone, including the coaching staff, knows how and who to roll with to get the maximum. Ray and Shaq are tested, learned, and more aggressive.
I thought that the defense got better towards the end of the year. Some say peaking during the playoffs, I say getting better yet. There is zero evidence that they "peaked".

Doggcow
08-01-2016, 03:07 PM
is it possible the 2016 D > 2015 D?

Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

WoodMan
08-01-2016, 04:49 PM
high hopes for Crick. He was an absolute plowhorse at Nebr.

Yep, it's tough to help out on the inside when you are facing Von, Ware, Shaq, and Ray bringing pressure from the outside. Crick and Wolfe will be playing against one blocker almost exclusively.

maher_tyler
08-01-2016, 05:09 PM

Most non-Broncos fans I know downplay our horrible QB play from last year. We get our QB rating to around 85 with an improved running game i like our chances with a defense that's constantly fresh. I think our special teams will be improved as well.

RonMexico
08-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Who is better?

I love Dennis Smith as much as the next guy, but he was a one trick pony and never played a key role in an all time great D.

Your nostalgia blinds you.

RonMexico
08-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Ooh, a hit from the crazy guy...I must be doing things right!

USMCBladerunner
08-01-2016, 06:46 PM
I think it's highly unlikely that the D will be better this year than last.

Last year's D posted the second best Yards-Per-Play over a season in NFL history, when adjusting for Era/League Average. Only the 1991 Eagles, allowed fewer yards/play against the league average.

The turnovers and field position will likely (hopefully) improve the defense's ability to prevent points, but they will be hard pressed to out-perform themselves on a per-play basis.

They were very healthy last year. Not completely free of injuries and missed games, but on the whole, very healthy. That may not be the case this season.

qbronco
08-01-2016, 06:57 PM
I think it's highly unlikely that the D will be better this year than last.

I can't argue that injuries can dictate a season, but where do you think we digressed? From all the comments I've heard from the players, they believe they can be even better than last year.

rmsanger
08-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Our secondary didn't get as much love as deserved. Both talib and Harris are not considered elite lock down corners like a hayden or Peterson. I think they are and I think Roby can become great as well.

USMCBladerunner
08-01-2016, 08:43 PM
I can't argue that injuries can dictate a season, but where do you think we digressed? From all the comments I've heard from the players, they believe they can be even better than last year.

I'm not sure the Defensive personnel will have digressed per se. And I also believe that the players are correct that they "can" be even better than last year.

I'm just saying that given how historically great the defense was last year, it's not likely that they will be better. There are a lot of factors that will impact the ultimate numbers, schedule, health, scheme choices, etc.

I hope they do perform even better, but they will have to be the best defense ever on a per-play basis to do so. Of the top 10 defenses in history, no team made the list twice, much less in a row.

qbronco
08-01-2016, 09:07 PM
I hope they do perform even better, but they will have to be the best defense ever on a per-play basis to do so. Of the top 10 defenses in history, no team made the list twice, much less in a row.

It would be quite a feat. That's for sure.

RonMexico
08-01-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure the Defensive personnel will have digressed per se. And I also believe that the players are correct that they "can" be even better than last year.

I'm just saying that given how historically great the defense was last year, it's not likely that they will be better. There are a lot of factors that will impact the ultimate numbers, schedule, health, scheme choices, etc.

What do you think that the potential offensive changes can do to help the defense perform better?

Many facets can change for this offense. Last years offense put loads of pressure on the defense. They had a primary goal of keeping the ball. Their secondary goal was to score whatever points they can through the rare drive or field position turn. The tertiary goal was to run clock. It's amazing that such a conservative approach resulted in a title.

ZONA
08-01-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't know if the defense can be better then last year, but I believe they sure as hell can be the #1 defense again this year.

USMCBladerunner
08-01-2016, 10:40 PM
What do you think that the potential offensive changes can do to help the defense perform better?

Many facets can change for this offense. Last years offense put loads of pressure on the defense. They had a primary goal of keeping the ball. Their secondary goal was to score whatever points they can through the rare drive or field position turn. The tertiary goal was to run clock. It's amazing that such a conservative approach resulted in a title.

Well, now we are talking apples and oranges. The measure I was using was yards per play. It is completely agnostic of where the opposing team gets the ball, whether the other team scored and how, how many turnovers were created or overcome, or how effective they were on 3rd and 4th down.

All that said, yards-per-play is probably the most meaningful single measure of defensive performance, as turnover creation tends to have more randomness and is influenced by the score differential, and also can impact points per game in a manner that isn't fairly attributed to the defense.

What you are talking about is a holistically better football team. That is something this year's Broncos can attain with a good probability. Last year's offense was among the worst in the league in turnovers, field position and time of possession. It is freaking incredible how much our defense had to overcome in terms of offensive ineptitude. It is the distinguishing feature of that defense in historical terms.

For what it's worth, the "goals" you are talking about really didn't come into being until the playoffs. During the season, we kept trying to get an offense going, and against Green Bay, it felt like we might have turned a corner, but between the O-line and Manning and Osweiler and Hillman, the offense basically sucked balls. By the time the playoffs came around, we had accepted that and planned accordingly. It helped that our special teams came around right in time and made those punts as effective as they were.

ZONA
08-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Well, now we are talking apples and oranges. The measure I was using was yards per play. It is completely agnostic of where the opposing team gets the ball, whether the other team scored and how, how many turnovers were created or overcome, or how effective they were on 3rd and 4th down.

All that said, yards-per-play is probably the most meaningful single measure of defensive performance, as turnover creation tends to have more randomness and is influenced by the score differential, and also can impact points per game in a manner that isn't fairly attributed to the defense.

What you are talking about is a holistically better football team. That is something this year's Broncos can attain with a good probability. Last year's offense was among the worst in the league in turnovers, field position and time of possession. It is freaking incredible how much our defense had to overcome in terms of offensive ineptitude. It is the distinguishing feature of that defense in historical terms.

For what it's worth, the "goals" you are talking about really didn't come into being until the playoffs. During the season, we kept trying to get an offense going, and against Green Bay, it felt like we might have turned a corner, but between the O-line and Manning and Osweiler and Hillman, the offense basically sucked balls. By the time the playoffs came around, we had accepted that and planned accordingly. It helped that our special teams came around right in time and made those punts as effective as they were.

Why would you list Hillman with those others. He had some nice runs when there was actual room to run and he wasn't getting drilled by 2 guys behind the LOS. He didn't fumble hardly at all either. Given the OL production, how could you possible even think an offense could throw or run. Our OL was horrid at both. I know people tend to think QB's are the main reason why a team wins or loses but I argue it all starts with the linemen. If half of your runs are for 1 yard or less, and your QB has to rush the ball out half the time in 2 seconds, you just can't do much as an offense. Even with a great QB you would struggle. The QB's get all the glory, and the WR's and RB's and CB's, but this game is still largely won and lost in the trenches.

RonMexico
08-01-2016, 11:02 PM

You like the yards per play stat, and for what I know I agree that it is important. I'd be interested to see how many empty possessions the D held the opponents to vs. league average and what the historical greats managed. By appearances this defense was consistently stifling, but I get that more as a general observation rather than a statistical analysis. They had to match the three and outs of our offense, which were many.

USMCBladerunner
08-01-2016, 11:34 PM
Why would you list Hillman with those others. He had some nice runs when there was actual room to run and he wasn't getting drilled by 2 guys behind the LOS. He didn't fumble hardly at all either. Given the OL production, how could you possible even think an offense could throw or run. Our OL was horrid at both. I know people tend to think QB's are the main reason why a team wins or loses but I argue it all starts with the linemen. If half of your runs are for 1 yard or less, and your QB has to rush the ball out half the time in 2 seconds, you just can't do much as an offense. Even with a great QB you would struggle. The QB's get all the glory, and the WR's and RB's and CB's, but this game is still largely won and lost in the trenches.

Well, I listed the O-line first for a reason, they were the weakest link, so you won't get an argument from me there. I'm not happy to see Sambrailo injured already, cause our OL needs both time to come together and luck to keep the most talented guys on the field.

To answer your question, though, I listed Hillman because I don't think he was a good performer last year. You are right that he was negatively impacted by the O-line, but more than CJ was. He's not as good as Anderson. Period. He had some nice plays, but I think he's a replacement level back at best. You are correct in that he did a good job hanging onto the ball for the most part (lucky SB recovery, and lazy response to the lateral notwithstanding). At this point, I'm far more interested in what Booker and Bibbs can bring than Ronnie Hillman.

Jason in LA
08-02-2016, 12:58 AM
How could he forget Kenoy Kennedy? :~ohyah!:

Kenoy Kennedy will forever live on this board. ;D

Jason in LA
08-02-2016, 01:03 AM
"10. Denver’s O-line, revamped at every spot except center, is worse inside than it was a year ago but potentially much, much better outside. Seahawks free agent Russell Okung is only 27. If he stays healthy, he’s a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle. At right tackle, Donald Stephenson is long-armed and physically well-balanced (when he’s playing correctly). He was wildly up and down playing for his hometown Kansas City Chiefs. Some in K.C. believe a move to a new state will help Stephenson be more focused professionally."

So is the O line better, or have we fooled ourselves in believing that?

bpc
08-02-2016, 01:16 AM
"10. Denver’s O-line, revamped at every spot except center, is worse inside than it was a year ago but potentially much, much better outside. Seahawks free agent Russell Okung is only 27. If he stays healthy, he’s a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle. At right tackle, Donald Stephenson is long-armed and physically well-balanced (when he’s playing correctly). He was wildly up and down playing for his hometown Kansas City Chiefs. Some in K.C. believe a move to a new state will help Stephenson be more focused professionally."

So is the O line better, or have we fooled ourselves in believing that?

We have better personnel fit now vs last season. Still too early to say imo. What we gained in athleticism, we gave up in experience. Breaking in four new starters will be tough. I think this team will setup as a better 2nd half of season unit than first. Considering we start with Carolina and at Cincy, 2 of the first four games, that will be tough. Schedule loosens up defensively at halfway point when the offense should start to mesh.

broncocalijohn
08-02-2016, 02:11 AM
I think Vance Walker was more disruptive than people realize. And, he was only situational. If he can do that consistently this season, I don't think there will be much (if any) drop off at all.

Was he just a body last season or got lost in a big time defense? Personally, he wasn't all that but we saw Marshall become one hell of a linebacker given the chance.

USMCBladerunner
08-02-2016, 03:03 AM
You like the yards per play stat, and for what I know I agree that it is important. I'd be interested to see how many empty possessions the D held the opponents to vs. league average and what the historical greats managed. By appearances this defense was consistently stifling, but I get that more as a general observation rather than a statistical analysis. They had to match the three and outs of our offense, which were many.

Here's the link to the article I've been referencing without citation.

The last table talks to some of your questions. In sum, it completely confirms your suspicion that last year's Denver Defense had to overcome far more then the other historically great defenses.

Time of possession wasn't tracked until 1997, so only the 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, and 13 Seahawks had stats available for Average Field Position, Giveaways, and Time of Possession. Each of those three times were top 10 in the league in all three categories, facilitating the defense's performance.

The 15 Broncos were bottom 10 in all three of those categories, bottom 4 for two of them.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/proof-that-the-broncos-put-together-one-of-the-greatest-nfl-defenses-of-all-time

Rabb
08-02-2016, 06:55 AM
Who is better?

I love Dennis Smith as much as the next guy, but he was a one trick pony and never played a key role in an all time great D.

Your nostalgia blinds you.

You're just trolling, and not very well...so **** off.

RonMexico
08-02-2016, 01:36 PM
You're just trolling, and not very well...so **** off.

Cute.

The Internet tough guy Broncos fan strikes out.

I have seen most Broncos games since 1983. Ward is the most significant strong safety over that period, without question.

Rabb
08-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Cute.

The Internet tough guy Broncos fan strikes out.

I have seen most Broncos games since 1983. Ward is the most significant strong safety over that period, without question.

How is it me being a tough guy, by telling you that you're a troll and to **** off?

You're an idiot.

RonMexico
08-02-2016, 01:38 PM
How is it me being a tough guy, by telling you that you're a troll and to **** off?

You're an idiot.

Nice conversation there, rob. Intellect.

Rabb
08-02-2016, 01:43 PM
So you have no answer, awesome. Happy trolling jackass, off to ignore you go.

RonMexico
08-02-2016, 01:44 PM
So you have no answer, awesome. Happy trolling jackass, off to ignore you go.

Yep. Intellect. Peace!

TotallyScrewed
08-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Here's the link to the article I've been referencing without citation.

The last table talks to some of your questions. In sum, it completely confirms your suspicion that last year's Denver Defense had to overcome far more then the other historically great defenses.

Time of possession wasn't tracked until 1997, so only the 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, and 13 Seahawks had stats available for Average Field Position, Giveaways, and Time of Possession. Each of those three times were top 10 in the league in all three categories, facilitating the defense's performance.

The 15 Broncos were bottom 10 in all three of those categories, bottom 4 for two of them.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/proof-that-the-broncos-put-together-one-of-the-greatest-nfl-defenses-of-all-time

Unfortunately, they don't explain how they adjusted across era's and I also question how they could account for changes in the rules and officiating which significantly advances offense; 14 game vs 16 game seasons; size and speed of today's athlete leads to more explosive plays. The average yards per pass has doubled over the period of the 11 teams considered.

I guess my point is there isn't a cut and dried method to compare. I think we can agree that the 2015 Denver Broncos defense was one of the best of all time. I don't buy that they ranked 10 or 11th.