PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember the Berenstein Bears?

Bronco X
07-31-2016, 03:03 PM
If this isn't new to you go ahead and post your clever moon pic. But I'm just now getting around to grasping this and I must say, I am utterly befuddled.

http://www.vice.com/read/the-berensteain-bears-conspiracy-theory-that-has-convinced-the-internet-there-are-parallel-universes

I am definitely one who distinctly remembers The Berenstein Bears as a kid... I actually heard about this a bit before and I dismissed it as another ridiculous internet thing... but that was when I assumed The Berenstain Bears was the false memory. Then I realized my own memory was the false one.

This was just scratching a part of my brain that I couldn't quite subdue, so I wound up calling both my sisters and a couple of friends, and they ALL remember The Berenstein Bears.

Yeah, logically, this can be chalked up to the unreliability of memory. -stein is a more common suffix than -stain so perhaps many people misread it and formed memories that way. But I still can't wrap my head around why so many people would misremember it the exact same way.

Another example... the book/movie Interview with a Vampire. I distinctly remember that is the title. But actually, it's Interview with the Vampire. And apparently, it always has been. That doesn't even sound right to me.

Anyway, how do you folks remember the spelling of The Berenst(a)ein Bears?

Arkie
07-31-2016, 03:06 PM
I remember them as the Bernstine Bears.

SoCalBronco
07-31-2016, 03:12 PM
I remember them as the Bernstine Bears.

Yeah.....I remember they were named after former Bronco Rod Bernstine.

ColoradoDarin
07-31-2016, 03:19 PM
I thought it was e until we had kids and got them a couple of the books and realized it was a.

Requiem
07-31-2016, 03:25 PM
I have an old tin with the papa bear looking all drugged up that serves as part of my medical kit for outdoors and camping.

bronco militia
07-31-2016, 03:38 PM
those bears were jewish?

SonOfLe-loLang
07-31-2016, 03:41 PM
those bears were jewish?

We just all grew up thinking they were

rmsanger
07-31-2016, 04:04 PM
Stain as they were not Jews.

http://img.memecdn.com/the-berenstain-bears-eat-a-camper_o_4380539.jpg

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/8493ead3de8e8b73b51065f150e40f61a359be17fbd58d6c9c 4f1c74d723459e_1.jpg

Bronco X
07-31-2016, 04:44 PM
There's no question it is -stain. My sister even dug up the old books we used to have and sent me pics. They all said Berenstain. This just seems to me a massive and oddly isolated quirk of faulty human cognition. Either that or it's a glitch in the Matrix.

Kaylore
07-31-2016, 04:47 PM
I remember them as Berenstein

TNF
07-31-2016, 04:52 PM
Berenstain for sure. I'm Jewish, and my name ends in "enstein".

broncocalijohn
07-31-2016, 05:39 PM
I remember a bitch broke in their house and complained about **** not being to her liking. Couldn't just be happy with whatever she got breaking into those bears house. I think she was called Golddiggerlocks.

theAPAOps5
07-31-2016, 05:53 PM
I spent way to long reading that stupid article before I quit. But I always remember them as Bernstein

BroncoFox
07-31-2016, 07:03 PM
There is a lot of weirdness with what they call the Mandela effect. It started with some folks who were positive that they thought Nelson Mandela had died while in prison. Of course he didn't, but a lot of people could swear that he did. Saw it on TV, covered in the press, etc.

Then a lot more weirdness popped up. Berenstein was one.. and there was also. Interview with the Vampire (not Interview with a Vampire), Life was like a box of chocolates (instead of IS like a box of chocolates), Depend instead of Depends, and so on. Then someone looked.. and found that Google trends for most of these items happened around the same year. And then someone else noticed that this was year that CERN kicked on with its first tests.

So.. people are making wild claims that their mucking around with CERN is causing diversion or merging of timelines, etc. Which I don't believe, but it is certainly weird to me. For example, interviews with Tom Cruise about his preparing for his role in the Vampire movie.. and he calls it Interview with a Vampire, instead of the proper name.. with the vampire. And I honestly thought it was the prior.

Now folks are trying to see if the people who thought certain things were one way.. all match. So.. trying to pin people down to a certain timeline. I think it's all a bit fantastical, but still.. it's pretty neat to read up on. =)

broncosteven
07-31-2016, 07:29 PM
They have a cartoon running now on PBS I think. I don't remember how they spell their name even after seeing my kid watch the show and read the books recently.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-31-2016, 07:30 PM
El-P from Run the Jewels got high as balls a few months back and went on a Twitter spree over the same subject.

Requiem
07-31-2016, 08:04 PM
Weird. I looked at the tin I have and it is BERNSTAIN.

It changed.

The moon.

spdirty
07-31-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm freakin out dudes. Why did I get high before opening this ****in thread?

Bronco X
07-31-2016, 09:09 PM
There is a lot of weirdness with what they call the Mandela effect. It started with some folks who were positive that they thought Nelson Mandela had died while in prison. Of course he didn't, but a lot of people could swear that he did. Saw it on TV, covered in the press, etc.

Then a lot more weirdness popped up. Berenstein was one.. and there was also. Interview with the Vampire (not Interview with a Vampire), Life was like a box of chocolates (instead of IS like a box of chocolates), Depend instead of Depends, and so on. Then someone looked.. and found that Google trends for most of these items happened around the same year. And then someone else noticed that this was year that CERN kicked on with its first tests.

So.. people are making wild claims that their mucking around with CERN is causing diversion or merging of timelines, etc. Which I don't believe, but it is certainly weird to me. For example, interviews with Tom Cruise about his preparing for his role in the Vampire movie.. and he calls it Interview with a Vampire, instead of the proper name.. with the vampire. And I honestly thought it was the prior.

Now folks are trying to see if the people who thought certain things were one way.. all match. So.. trying to pin people down to a certain timeline. I think it's all a bit fantastical, but still.. it's pretty neat to read up on. =)

Yeah I started reading up on that stuff after being flummoxed by the realization that I had this rather vivid false memory. It's fun stuff to speculate on even though I don't take it seriously. I was going through the list of supposed Mandela Effect events and the only one that really floored me on top of the Berenstein thing was the "Interview with the Vampire" one. I'm a film nerd so I tend to know lots of details about films... the directors, the year they were released, etc. I also have a rather vivid memory of it being called "Interview with a Vampire". "Interview with the Vampire" sounds strange. For me this has been a rather disquieting lesson on the unreliability of memory.

I do wonder if a more scientific poll was done what percentage of people would remember "Berenstein". Even accepting the human capacity to create false memory it seems really odd if a majority of people are remembering this one thing incorrectly.

They have a cartoon running now on PBS I think. I don't remember how they spell their name even after seeing my kid watch the show and read the books recently.

It's spelled "Berenstain". There's no real evidence it was ever spelled "Berenstein" other than the odd fact that most people remember it that way.