PDA

View Full Version : Antwaan Randle El regrets playing football now

Bronco Yoda
01-20-2016, 02:56 AM
Had no idea he was having so much health troubles these day.

Antwaan Randle El says he regrets playing football, in part because the 36-year-old now has difficulty walking down the stairs.

"I have to come down sideways sometimes, depending on the day," Randle El said in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story on former Steelers Super Bowl winners. "Going up is easier actually than coming down."

Randle El says he has mental limitations to go with his physical issues.

"I ask my wife things over and over again, and she's like, 'I just told you that,'" Randle El said to the newspaper. "I'll ask her three times the night before and get up in the morning and forget. Stuff like that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14603566/former-steelers-wr-antwaan-randle-el-wishes-chosen-play-football

Guess Who
01-20-2016, 03:40 AM
Had no idea he was having so much health troubles these day.

Antwaan Randle El says he regrets playing football, in part because the 36-year-old now has difficulty walking down the stairs.

"I have to come down sideways sometimes, depending on the day," Randle El said in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story on former Steelers Super Bowl winners. "Going up is easier actually than coming down."

"I ask my wife things over and over again, and she's like, 'I just told you that,'" Randle El said to the newspaper. "I'll ask her three times the night before and get up in the morning and forget. Stuff like that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14603566/former-steelers-wr-antwaan-randle-el-wishes-chosen-play-football

I have had many, many concussions in high school and college. I notice my memory is getting worse and worse. I forget my keys, I forget investigations I did just a couple of days prior. I have very little memory of people i went to college and high school with. I have gotten a routine down to where it limits my missteps but someday it will catch up to me.

kdissette
01-20-2016, 03:50 AM
im going through this right now just had a long conversation with my gf about it. Apparently I "freeze up" in the middle of talking and have speech issues when this happens. I am unaware when it happens except i get a cold electric feeling up my spine and my head. It sucks as im only 32yrs old and some days I cant remember my birthday or my pets names. I wouldnt allow my kids to play football if i ever have any because in the end its not worth it and does a terrible amount of harm to your mind and body.

Bronco Yoda
01-20-2016, 04:59 AM
But you're also a stoner so that might be playing a solid role here too

I've read that weed may be one of the only things that helps with this condition.

Bronco Yoda
01-20-2016, 05:07 AM
...With memory? Hilarious!

No- with the dizziness, nausea, vertigo, etc. Don't be obtuse.

Bronco Yoda
01-20-2016, 05:10 AM
I would encourage you to read the post I replied to and ask yourself wtf you're talking about then.

I would encourage you to consider all the ailments that such people suffer from then ask yourself why you're just targeting on the memory part of it.

hmmmmmmm?

Bronco Yoda
01-20-2016, 05:21 AM
...Are you high right now?

I'm "just targeting on the memory part of it" because that's all that was mentioned in the post I replied to, genius.

No nausea
No dizziness
No vertigo
No pain

Just memory lapses so I'm pointing out that the pot MIGHT be playing a key role here too.

I know what you're saying. I get your joke. I was moving past it. You know it, I know it. You obviously are in an argumentative mood. I'm not. I'm drinking my coffee and planning my day.

Broncoblood32
01-20-2016, 05:38 AM
My question is after football is banned (tackle football), and it will eventually be banned, what will the next sport that draws all of the criticism for concussions.

Hockey, I am predicting. How about MMA? Boxing? Ever see the statistical facts in regards to concussions and soccer? Motor cross racing?

All of the media HYPE is about attacking football. All of it.

Anyway, I am sure Randle El would have been just "great" in baseball.

Oh, the ego.

Also, hey hippies. Marijuana is not GOOD FOR YOU. I know you are going to say that is not what you are saying. Well, I guess I always happen to see good hippies always pointing the purported positives of smoking it. Interestingly enough I never see these types EVER discussing the risks and negatives.

Here, for those types who do not think that smoking hippy lettuce over a long period time has negative effects and ONLY LISTEN to the never ending onslaught of people saying how great it is for you since Natives smoked it.......read some of this.

EFFECTS OF HABITUAL MARIJUANA USE ON THE IMMUNE SYSTEM

The most potent argument against the use of marijuana to treat medical disorders is that marijuana may cause the acceleration or aggravation of the very disorders it is being used to treat.

Smoking marijuana regularly (a joint a day) can damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and decrease the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight off fungi, bacteria, and tumor cells. For patients with already weakened immune systems, this means an increase in the possibility of dangerous pulmonary infections, including pneumonia, which often proves fatal in AIDS patients.

Studies further suggest that marijuana is a general "immunosuppressant" whose degenerative influence extends beyond the respiratory system. Regular smoking has been shown to materially affect the overall ability of the smoker�s body to defend itself against infection by weakening various natural immune mechanisms, including macrophages (a.k.a. "killer cells") and the all-important T-cells. Obviously, this suggests the conclusion, which is well-supported by scientific studies, that the use of marijuana as a medical therapy can and does have a very serious negative effect on patients with pre-existing immune deficits resulting from AIDS, organ transplantation, or cancer chemotherapy, the very conditions for which marijuana has most often been touted and suggested as a treatment. It has also been shown that marijuana use can accelerate the progression of HIV to full-blown AIDS and increase the occurrence of infections and Kaposi�s sarcoma. In addition, patients with weak immune systems will be even less able to defend themselves against the various respiratory cancers and conditions to which consistent marijuana use has been linked, and which are discussed briefly under "Respiratory Illnesses."

In conclusion, it seems that the potential dangers presented by the medical use of marijuana may actually contribute to the dangers of the diseases which it would be used to combat. Therefore, I suggest that marijuana should not be permitted as a therapy, at least until a good deal more conclusive research has been completed concerning its debilitating effect on the immune system.

For more on this topic, please see Donald P. Tashkin, M.D., "Effects of Marijuana on the Lung and Its Immune Defenses," Secretary's Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Intiative: Resource Papers, March 1997, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention. Pages 33-51 of this address can be found at the website of the Indiana Prevention Resource Center at Indiana University, located at http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/druginfo/tashkin- marijuana.html.

Please let me know if you would like me to add to the risks that marijuana causes. It is more than just "risks" too. If you smoke it on a regular basis (daily) over a 20 to 30 year period, you can count on having health problems. Significant health problems.

I would also say the natural aging process also effects memory loss as well. There are a lot of factors and all we do is attack football.

Roger Staubach and Steve Young received a lot more concussions than any of you combined. Interestingly enough neither of them are barking at the moon or drooling when they smile. Interestingly enough, both of them have not run through ALL of their money and have found significant success outside of football. BTW, they both retired due to their concussions.

It is amazing to me. Anyway, what will the next sport that is relentlessly attacked?

ksBRONCOfan
01-20-2016, 05:55 AM
Hell, I'm 36 next month and often find that going down stairs is more difficult than going up. I've been married 16 years and often forget what my wife has told me. I can't blame football.

Broncoblood32
01-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Hell, I'm 36 next month and often find that going down stairs is more difficult than going up. I've been married 16 years and often forget what my wife has told me. I can't blame football.

Yeah, it is only going to get worse. Hate to tell you.

http://old.seattletimes.com/art/pacificnw/2002/1201/fitness01.jpg

Yeah, I wish I ate better and took better care of myself. Like anyone that does not eat right, you start blowing up like a tick at around 26 and it becomes an ever downward spiral.

No, I am not blaming anyone but myself. Ahhhhhh, personal responsibility.

Anyway, you get the point.

ludo21
01-20-2016, 06:05 AM

Hilarious!

I was going to say the same thing.

Brohemoth
01-20-2016, 06:18 AM
You all are painting a pretty picture. I'm 25. Sounds like I should start investing in cryonics immediately.

Broncoblood32
01-20-2016, 06:23 AM
You all are painting a pretty picture. I'm 25. Sounds like I should start investing in cryonics immediately.
I am telling you, if you do not start eating right now (assuming you don't, but you might) you will literally start putting on permanent weight right about now.

Which leads to all sorts of problems later. Amazing how fast "later" comes too.

Meaning, avoid ALL fast food etc. Not saying be a vegetarian, cause that is ridiculous. We are omnivores, not herbivores.

The sooner you get into a good eating habit, the better. Now, at your age is the time.

DrOrangeLove
01-20-2016, 06:33 AM
...With memory? Hilarious!

When the Rev isn't working towards his MBA at a ****-tier business school he's marinating lab rats in delta 9, then studying histopathological sections of their hippocampal cells under a microscope and comparing them to controls. Utterly amazing, I know :thumbs:!

OABB
01-20-2016, 06:44 AM

Same. Lost my wallet this weekend for three days. Retraced my footsteps to every place I went.

Except for the places I forgot I went. Like my mothers house where I left it.

I don't even remember going.

Broncoblood32
01-20-2016, 06:52 AM
Same. Lost my wallet this weekend for three days. Retraced my footsteps to every place I went.

Except for the places I forgot I went. Like my mothers house where I left it.

I don't even remember going.

Yeah, I forget conversations I have forgotten key moments in my life. For example when I was in college years ago we had a friend we played HS with. He was the long snapper at THE U from 1988 to 92. Anyway, a friend and I went down to watch a practice at The U. It was Jimmy Johnson's last year there. Well, my friend and I were sitting in the stands during their practice. We had no idea it was a closed practice. All of a sudden Jimmy Johnson himself started yelling and screaming. We realized he yelling at us. He stopped the whole practice and both of us took the long walk down the stands.

Trust me, that is a moment that most people would never forget. The other day I was with those friends. They started talking about the incident and I had no idea what they were talking about. I now have a vague memory of that. I do remember going down there to visit. Now it is becoming a little more clear.

I had no clue.

OABB
01-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I forget conversations I have forgotten key moments in my life. For example when I was in college years ago we had a friend we played HS with. He was the long snapper at THE U from 1988 to 92. Anyway, a friend and I went down to watch a practice at The U. It was Jimmy Johnson's last year there. Well, my friend and I were sitting in the stands during their practice. We had no idea it was a closed practice. All of a sudden Jimmy Johnson himself started yelling and screaming. We realized he yelling at us. He stopped the whole practice and both of us took the long walk down the stands.

Trust me, that is a moment that most people would never forget. The other day I was with those friends. They started talking about the incident and I had no idea what they were talking about. I now have a vague memory of that. I do remember going down there to visit. Now it is becoming a little more clear.

I had no clue.

Scary ****. Whether it's concussions or just being distracted losing memory is scary ****. My wife swears I do it on purpose. Her theory is that I am always on my phone and somewhere else in my mind. Probably true. Who knows.

I realized last night I didnt know my sister's husbands last name until they had their baby.

KCStud
01-20-2016, 07:08 AM
we are going to see a story like this in 10 years with Gronkowski. His legs will be ****ed when he is older

WoodMan
01-20-2016, 07:11 AM

Hilarious! I'm 66 Now, and it gets harder to remember what my wife said each and every day. I can't blame football either, but that's an excuse I should try next time she gets mad because "I Forgot".

GreatBronco16
01-20-2016, 07:11 AM
My wife told me that I post to this forum sometimes. I came here and found this thread but forgot what I wanted to say.

I was also told that I post to this forum sometimes.

OABB
01-20-2016, 07:16 AM
My wife told me that I post to this forum sometimes. I came here and found this thread but forgot what I wanted to say.

I was also told that I post to this forum sometimes.

Lolololol

Guess Who
01-20-2016, 08:17 AM
But you're also a stoner so that might be playing a solid role here too

Nah Rev, I live in Texas..... I am a wanna be stoner!!!!

Guess Who
01-20-2016, 08:22 AM
No- with the dizziness, nausea, vertigo, etc. Don't be obtuse.

Thanks Yoda, I don't show any of those symptoms. Just short and long term memory. I went to school with kids in Elementary school and I remember them perfectly.. Only years later I find out I also went to high school with them as well and I have no memory of that. It is like now I have to concentrate on something and make a concerted effort to remember it or it will be lost. I get lots of FB request of people who I don't have any idea who they are. I have to send the picture to my buddy and he'll tell me who the person is. Sometimes I will remember them most of the time I don't. I will occasionally get something about an e mail I sent or a case i just finished three days ago and my mind draws a total blank.... 45 years-old..

Gort
01-20-2016, 08:31 AM
everybody has these issues when they get older. that's why getting older sucks.

i forget things too and as a lineman i never had a concussion. sometimes my short term memory lasts about 200ms.

L O L at the confirmation bias being misinterpreted here.

Garcia Bronco
01-20-2016, 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear this, but this is why most people don't play the game. It's tough on your mind, body, and spirit. If any one breaks the rest will follow.

DENVERDUI55
01-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Let me guess. He is broke.

I take back my poor comments. I just listened to his interview today on ESPN. He said he is not in pain other than walking up and down stairs. He says his memory is fine except he doesn't remember what his wife told him sometimes. I think anyone who is in a relationship can relate. He also had a chance to play baseball and that is a much better sport for money if you make it.

GreatBronco16
01-20-2016, 09:06 AM

Or legal trouble.:giggle:

BlueRacer
01-20-2016, 09:21 AM
These post career stories will be the demise of the NFL.

Bronco Yoda
01-20-2016, 04:48 PM
High-tech football helmet startup Vicis closes $8M round from more than 140 investors

http://i0.wp.com/www.geekwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-11-at-9.43.19-AM.png?resize=350%2C200

http://cdn.geekwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/vicis11.jpg

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/high-tech-football-helmet-startup-vicis-closes-8m-round-140-investors/

The Zero1 Flexible Football Helmet May Save Players’ Brains?
http://www.wired.com/2016/01/the-zero1-flexible-football-helmet-may-save-players-brains/

JoshMcDanielsIsTheDevil
01-21-2016, 02:10 AM
Also, hey hippies. Marijuana is not GOOD FOR YOU. I know you are going to say that is not what you are saying. Well, I guess I always happen to see good hippies always pointing the purported positives of smoking it. Interestingly enough I never see these types EVER discussing the risks and negatives.

Here, for those types who do not think that smoking hippy lettuce over a long period time has negative effects and ONLY LISTEN to the never ending onslaught of people saying how great it is for you since Natives smoked it.......read some of this.

EFFECTS OF HABITUAL MARIJUANA USE ON THE IMMUNE SYSTEM

The most potent argument against the use of marijuana to treat medical disorders is that marijuana may cause the acceleration or aggravation of the very disorders it is being used to treat.

Smoking marijuana regularly (a joint a day) can damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and decrease the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight off fungi, bacteria, and tumor cells. For patients with already weakened immune systems, this means an increase in the possibility of dangerous pulmonary infections, including pneumonia, which often proves fatal in AIDS patients.

Studies further suggest that marijuana is a general "immunosuppressant" whose degenerative influence extends beyond the respiratory system. Regular smoking has been shown to materially affect the overall ability of the smoker�s body to defend itself against infection by weakening various natural immune mechanisms, including macrophages (a.k.a. "killer cells") and the all-important T-cells. Obviously, this suggests the conclusion, which is well-supported by scientific studies, that the use of marijuana as a medical therapy can and does have a very serious negative effect on patients with pre-existing immune deficits resulting from AIDS, organ transplantation, or cancer chemotherapy, the very conditions for which marijuana has most often been touted and suggested as a treatment. It has also been shown that marijuana use can accelerate the progression of HIV to full-blown AIDS and increase the occurrence of infections and Kaposi�s sarcoma. In addition, patients with weak immune systems will be even less able to defend themselves against the various respiratory cancers and conditions to which consistent marijuana use has been linked, and which are discussed briefly under "Respiratory Illnesses."

In conclusion, it seems that the potential dangers presented by the medical use of marijuana may actually contribute to the dangers of the diseases which it would be used to combat. Therefore, I suggest that marijuana should not be permitted as a therapy, at least until a good deal more conclusive research has been completed concerning its debilitating effect on the immune system.

For more on this topic, please see Donald P. Tashkin, M.D., "Effects of Marijuana on the Lung and Its Immune Defenses," Secretary's Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Intiative: Resource Papers, March 1997, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention. Pages 33-51 of this address can be found at the website of the Indiana Prevention Resource Center at Indiana University, located at http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/druginfo/tashkin- marijuana.html.

Please let me know if you would like me to add to the risks that marijuana causes. It is more than just "risks" too. If you smoke it on a regular basis (daily) over a 20 to 30 year period, you can count on having health problems. Significant health problems.

Get a load of Reefer Madness over here. Hey Gramps, you seem tense; I recommend sparking up a jay.

elsid13
01-21-2016, 02:29 AM

Actually he is fully employed as Private School Chancellor here in northern VA. He came on the local radio and because said that he had choice between MLB and NFL, and from long term physical stand point he thinks he would be better off if he played baseball. He didn't bash football or the NFL, he just answered truthfully a question posed to him via reporter.

Kaylore
01-21-2016, 07:26 AM

"I ask my wife things over and over again, and she's like, 'I just told you that,'" Randle El said to the newspaper.

I've had one concussion and did not play football in College or the pros and I have this issue with my wife especially when it concerns what time we're supposed to leave for my in-laws, and which purse she really wants. I actually think I'm a purse racist, because they all look the same to me.

rugbythug
01-21-2016, 07:50 AM
I am 41 and am not as sharp as I was at 25. I used to be able to take a 16 digit number and remember it. Now I have to write it down.

On the flip side I last way longer during sex. So All in all I am better off.

DENVERDUI55
01-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Actually he is fully employed as Private School Chancellor here in northern VA. He came on the local radio and because said that he had choice between MLB and NFL, and from long term physical stand point he thinks he would be better off if he played baseball. He didn't bash football or the NFL, he just answered truthfully a question posed to him via reporter.

Well that is good. Usually the guys claiming permanent injuries are looking for money since they were not smart with the money they made.

DrOrangeLove
01-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Self-Obsession by Calvin Klein

There. Fixed it for you.

Because one barb directed at you in several months equates to obsession?

If anything I go out of my way to avoid exchanges with you because you're a Macy's thanksgiving day parade float filled with equal parts mediocrity, inanity and baseless narcissism. It must truly be an immeasurable burden just to live with yourself day in and day out, knowing you're so pathetic you can't help but parade your meager achievements on an internet message board. What a terrible cross to bear...:flower:

TheMatador
01-21-2016, 10:21 AM
What a pus$y

BroncoBeavis
01-21-2016, 10:34 AM

Yeah but show him how he likely would've bombed out in AA ball never making as much in a career as he made in a couple months in the NFL and then see what he says.

Bronx33
01-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Does any of this concussion talk actually keep young NFL hopefuls from playing? really the allure of fame and money is paramount most kids playing college ball have no plans in life other than playing in the nfl they major in the easiest fields as possible the goal in the NFL period .

mhgaffney
01-21-2016, 12:39 PM
everybody has these issues when they get older. that's why getting older sucks.

i forget things too and as a lineman i never had a concussion. sometimes my short term memory lasts about 200ms.

L O L at the confirmation bias being misinterpreted here.

Well, not quite everybody. My older bro is 72 and is still doing triathlons. He never played football, however.

ColoradoDarin
01-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Does any of this concussion talk actually keep young NFL hopefuls from playing? really the allure of fame and money is paramount most kids playing college ball have no plans in life other than playing in the nfl they major in the easiest fields as possible the goal in the NFL period .

Most young men consider themselves invincible anyways.

ghwk
01-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Sorry to hear this, but this is why most people don't play the game. It's tough on your mind, body, and spirit. If any one breaks the rest will follow.

sitting at a desk for 25 years to support the family doesn't help the weight, memory or eyesight either and I've been a pretty regular exerciser too.

ghwk
01-21-2016, 01:33 PM
I am 41 and am not as sharp as I was at 25. I used to be able to take a 16 digit number and remember it. Now I have to write it down.

On the flip side I last way longer during sex. So All in all I am better off.

Except now you can only do it once! Hilarious!

ghwk
01-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Well, not quite everybody. My older bro is 72 and is still doing triathlons. He never played football, however.

Yeah but you are completely whacked out so it must be genetics. He got them, you didn't.

elsid13
01-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Yeah but show him how he likely would've bombed out in AA ball never making as much in a career as he made in a couple months in the NFL and then see what he says.

The local radio hosts tried to get him to answer that questions and he avoid it. He said he was very confident he was good enough to reach the big leagues.

DrOrangeLove
01-21-2016, 03:39 PM
No, because it looks like you keep a notebook or 3-ring binder filled with potential shots at me and just wait for me to reply to someone misunderstanding my post so you can dive in at no one's request (per usual, and just like you did here)

Exhibit 37B:

Also... meager accomplishments? I would be floored if you had accomplished half as much as I have in any arena of life.

I would be happy to compare should you grow a pair of testicles.

The saddest aspect of your reply is that you genuinely believe this constitutes an effort on my part. This is merely stream of consciousness. You're the smuggest little sloth on this board. I verbally stomp on you at a whim for my own amusement more than anything else.

And frankly little toady, You would be floored by a gentle gust of wind queefed from Chrissy's vagina.

So though I hate to disappoint you, (wait a minute. no I don't. Actually, I don't give two newly sprouted testicles about you) I feel no compulsion to openly compare my actual achievements to your gilded piteous existence before perfect strangers. Suffice to say, I think we both know where this will lead if I start to take any degree of real interest in this conversation. It won't be pretty for you utterly smooth. I guarantee you that.