PDA

View Full Version : Secondary-market ticket prices for Broncos-Steelers playoff game reach five figures

bronco0608
01-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Only a limited number of tickets for the Broncos’ divisional playoff game, against the Steelers on Jan. 17 at Sports Authority Field, went on sale to those in the Rocky Mountain region last Monday. The majority of the tickets sold out in a matter of minutes, but those willing to pay big money — emphasis on “big” — to see the Broncos in the postseason weren’t shut out.

Since the Broncos learned of their opponent Saturday night, following Pittsburgh’s wild win over the Bengals, ticket prices on secondary markets have quickly risen.

A quick scan of four secondary-ticket marketplaces — NFL Ticket Exchange, the league’s official resale marketplace, via Ticketmaster; StubHub; Razorgator; and Vivid Seats — around 4 p.m. Sunday showed tickets valued as little as $170 to as much as $11,421

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/01/10/secondary-market-ticket-prices-for-broncos-steelers-playoff-game-reach-five-figures/37117/#disqus_thread

I sure hope we don't see a sea of terrible towels again like 2006.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2016, 07:25 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/01/10/secondary-market-ticket-prices-for-broncos-steelers-playoff-game-reach-five-figures/37117/#disqus_thread

It will be.

BroncoFox
01-11-2016, 07:39 AM
They really really really need to hand out orange towels.. it will wash out any stupid yellow ones that might be in the stands.

ludo21
01-11-2016, 07:41 AM
I am sure Denver faithful will be there at least 70/30.

DENVERDUI55
01-11-2016, 08:01 AM
At a certain point money talks and Denver will be filled with terrible towels. I don't think the squeeler fans will be as big on their team as they were in 06.

oubronco
01-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Selling a ticket to a game for $11,400 for a lot of people is like hitting the Lottery

Gort
01-11-2016, 09:16 AM

i have a hard time believing anyone is gonna be paying $11K for a single ticket.

baja
01-11-2016, 09:17 AM
12Gs to watch a 3 hour football game - no thanks

DENVERDUI55
01-11-2016, 09:17 AM
i have a hard time believing anyone is gonna be paying $11K for a single ticket.

I have a hard time believing anyone would turn down that price for them either.

baja
01-11-2016, 09:19 AM
I have a hard time believing anyone would turn down that price for them either.

What does a season ticket cost for good seats?

What did that seat for 11Gs cost for the season?

Gort
01-11-2016, 09:21 AM
It will be.

nah. in 2011, there wasn't much yellow in the stands.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3L18C8DpUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mile High 81
01-11-2016, 09:23 AM

What did that seat for 11Gs cost for the season?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/tickets/season_tickets.html

I would say the good tickets are between 1000 and 1800.

Si if you sell your ticket for 10.000 Dollars you could watch 10 Seasons Broncos Football.

But i doubt you could sell a tickt that high.

Kaylore
01-11-2016, 09:29 AM
nah. in 2011, there wasn't much yellow in the stands.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3L18C8DpUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I pointed this out earlier. The Steelers were not well represented in a game they were supposed to win last time. Also there were reports of Steeler fans getting food and garbage thrown at them and even their vehicles being vandalized. The last few visits to the Mile High have not been kind to the Steelers and their fans. I think in their dinged up state, and with the recent injuries, that the Steelers will not be overwhelming.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Cool.

It's free for me to watch at home. I have unlimited beer in the fridge, girlfriend cooking something, and no line for the Jake.

This is an easy choice for me.

Gort
01-11-2016, 09:32 AM
I pointed this out earlier. The Steelers were not well represented in a game they were supposed to win last time. Also there were reports of Steeler fans getting food and garbage thrown at them and even their vehicles being vandalized. The last few visits to the Mile High have not been kind to the Steelers and their fans. I think in their dinged up state, and with the recent injuries, that the Steelers will not be overwhelming.

at first i thought they'd sped up the speed of video so that the "let's go tebow" chant seemed sort of strange. then it occurred to me that was Cartman's voice. if the scoreboard operator had a clip of Cartman chanting "let's go tebow" and played it at the end of the game... that's actually pretty cool of the South Park people to do that. :thumbs:

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Would love it if the Post (or any media outlet) would actually follow up and see how many tickets actually sold for 5 figures. Guessing it's 0. There are tickets up every game that are up for $5,000+ and they're never bought. They're never serious listings, and I doubt the ones for the Steelers are too.

These prices will also bottom out at the end of the week, always happens when people have leftovers and are afraid they won't sell. You could find tickets for not much above face on Friday and Saturday before the Tebow playoff game a few years ago.

Gort
01-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Cool.

It's free for me to watch at home. I have unlimited beer in the fridge, girlfriend cooking something, and no line for the Jake.

i've never been up to SAF/Invesco for a game. even though it's just an hour up I-25. just seems like unnecessary expense and hassle (parking!) to go in person when i can watch it on TV at home on a comfortable couch with a kitchen and bathroom close at hand. plus, and this is the big one, i don't have to deal with drunken idiots in my own living room.

maybe if i were still in my 20's, a trip up there for a game might still be fun, but as i've gotten older, i find i have less tolerance for crowds and people acting like idiots in public.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2016, 09:35 AM

The Steelers haven't represented well in Mile High since 2006.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2016, 09:39 AM
i've never been up to SAF/Invesco for a game. even though it's just an hour up I-25. just seems like unnecessary expense and hassle (parking!) to go in person when i can watch it on TV at home on a comfortable couch with a kitchen and bathroom close at hand. plus, and this is the big one, i don't have to deal with drunken idiots in my own living room.

maybe if i were still in my 20's, a trip up there for a game might still be fun, but as i've gotten older, i find i have less tolerance for crowds and people acting like idiots in public.

you know, I'm with ya. I'll go on occasion, and I only live about two miles from the stadium. Public transportation is easy, and I have friends who tailgate for every game, so for night games (like the Green Bay game) we tailgated for a good four hours before the game. Great time.

But I have more, better beer in my house. My girlfriend cooks brilliantly. I have friends who come over and bring MORE beer. I can step outside for a bowl, hang out with my dog, and my friends, and my girl, and it doesn't cost me any money.

Watching at home is the way. NFL football was made for teevee.

BroncoBeavis
01-11-2016, 09:47 AM

Plus the bye week allowed ST holders to sell tickets before the opponent was known.

That should help.

Kaylore
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
The Steelers haven't represented well in Mile High since 2006.

That's been my experience being at two of those games since 2006 and even in the Orton game there was maybe 10%.

DENVERDUI55
01-11-2016, 09:54 AM

What did that seat for 11Gs cost for the season?Not sure but I'm going to try and buy Cardinal tickets in 7 min that are selling for 450 face value that are just over 100 regular season.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Got two listed on Stub Hub at $300 per seat in section 505 but no takers yet.

Kaylore
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Plus the bye week allowed ST holders to sell tickets before the opponent was known.

That should help.

Exactly. '06 was weird because the Colts had the one seed everyone expected Denver to travel to Indy. Then they lost to the Steelers, so Broncos and Steeler fans found out the same time we were playing the AFCCG at home. I can remember after vanquishing the Patriots that year as we were walking out of the stadium we were all chanting "let's go Steelers!" Be careful what you wish for...

Anyway, we've known we get this game at home since the end of the season. And with three potential opponents, the liklihood of the other teams fans financially committing was much lower. The only issue is Denver has a lot of transplant and bandwagon fans. I know family personally who "roots for the Steelers and the Broncos" and they don either jersey as the occasion dictates.

*WARHORSE*
01-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Six figures actually.

Sideline Club in section 334? $100,000:~ohyah!:

Click on the far right where it says: price ^

http://www.stubhub.com/denver-broncos-tickets-denver-broncos-denver-sports-authority-field-at-mile-high-1-17-2016/event/9454720/

BroncoBeavis
01-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Yeah, people think the Steelers are a 'travelling' fanbase. In reality, those cockroaches are everywhere!

Not sure why. Pats* don't even have a national following quite like the Steelers (or maybe Packers)

Beantown Bronco
01-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Would love it if the Post (or any media outlet) would actually follow up and see how many tickets actually sold for 5 figures. Guessing it's 0. There are tickets up every game that are up for $5,000+ and they're never bought. They're never serious listings, and I doubt the ones for the Steelers are too.

These prices will also bottom out at the end of the week, always happens when people have leftovers and are afraid they won't sell. You could find tickets for not much above face on Friday and Saturday before the Tebow playoff game a few years ago.

I love doing this for concerts, sporting events, whatever I'm going to really. I buy the cheapest seats I can in the days leading up to the event, then I go on stubhub as I enter the arena and check for the most overpriced, good seats that you can get to without having to go through a special ticket check. 99% of the time they are corporate owned and never sell (who's going to pay thousands for tix with minutes to go before the event starts, knowing that you have to be both close to the arena and have a way to print said tix?). I walk in with my cheap tix and enjoy a much better view from someone else's seats that never sell.

Out of a few dozen times, I've only gotten nabbed and had to move to my actual seats 3 times.

BroncoBeavis
01-11-2016, 10:18 AM
The NFL tries to drive everyone through the exchange, where everything is absolutely anonymous.

Even threatens that your sale is not in any way 'protected' unless you do it through the exchange. In reality, it's because they want their cut. But you can't have it both ways.

If they want to twist ST holders' arms into selling anonymously, they get what they get.

DENVERDUI55
01-11-2016, 10:25 AM
The NFL tries to drive everyone through the exchange, where everything is absolutely anonymous.

Even threatens that your sale is not in any way 'protected' unless you do it through the exchange. In reality, it's because they want their cut. But you can't have it both ways.

If they want to twist ST holders' arms into selling anonymously, they get what they get.

It is possible to get ripped off if you don't buy them through there. It is easy for a seller to sell several copies of a legit ticket. When you get ripped off is what ever ticket of the legit goes in the stadium first works and the rest get ripped off.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
01-11-2016, 10:28 AM
there were fans who went into that champ game as Broncos fans, became steelers fans after the game.

There's way too many Raiders and Steelers fans living in Colorado.

Gort
01-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Yeah, people think the Steelers are a 'travelling' fanbase. In reality, those cockroaches are everywhere!

Not sure why. Pats* don't even have a national following quite like the Steelers (or maybe Packers)

if you were born and raised in western PA, you'd understand why many of those people moved as far away as they could, as soon as they could! ;D

BroncoBeavis
01-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Once I sold tickets (not playoff) to a guy I knew for FV. Well in advance of the game. Well he had "something come up" and instead of giving me my tickets back, or even mentioning to me that he wasn't going... he just sold them to someone else.

People are just tools sometimes. Didn't even occur to him that I literally probably saved him $100 per seat over what he would've had to pay online, and he just handed that to some jerkoff I didn't know.

At least from what he said. He said he didn't mark them up. But he could have. After that though, who knows.

Anyway, there's no failsafe way to sell the tickets. The exchange is the approved method. I sold mine before the wildcard round, probably for less than I could get now. But that was my way of trying to make sure they PROBABLY went to a Broncos fan.

Hell, even if you sell them to someone here through back channels, you don't know they're not going to sell them to someone else.

Beantown Bronco
01-11-2016, 10:53 AM
It is possible to get ripped off if you don't buy them through there. It is easy for a seller to sell several copies of a legit ticket. When you get ripped off is what ever ticket of the legit goes in the stadium first works and the rest get ripped off.

stubhub has a guarantee for buyers that if the tix don't work, they'll instantly send you something equal to or better than them from their inventory and they'll charge the original seller for whatever replacement tix they'll give you.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2016, 10:59 AM
That's been my experience being at two of those games since 2006 and even in the Orton game there was maybe 10%.

and 10% is the number I always peg opposing team attendance at after nearly 20 years of season tickets. Everyone is usually right around that figure. They just haven't been there, but the towels stand out on TV and make it look like there are more of them.

maven
01-11-2016, 02:01 PM
They really really really need to hand out orange towels.. it will wash out any stupid yellow ones that might be in the stands.

This reminds me. I'm going to see a girl later tonight and I'm going to spank her with the kitchen towels.

stopgap
01-11-2016, 02:06 PM
This reminds me. I'm going to see a girl later tonight and I'm going to spank her with the kitchen towels.

I wish you to overdose for once.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2016, 02:46 PM

^
Things kids say that they think makes them look like they could possibly not be a virgin.....

broncocalijohn
01-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Cool.

In other words, you are broke.

broncocalijohn
01-11-2016, 03:19 PM

I learn something everyday. I didn't know you were a lesbian.

OABB
01-11-2016, 03:33 PM

Lesbians are hot. Now I like you

OABB
01-11-2016, 03:34 PM
I learn something everyday. I didn't know you were a lesbian.

Gmta

Johnykbr
01-11-2016, 03:34 PM
^
Things kids say that they think makes them look like they could possibly not be a virgin.....

"You know how when you grab a woman's breast... it feels like... a bag of sand"

DomCasual
01-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Once I sold tickets (not playoff) to a guy I knew for FV. Well in advance of the game. Well he had "something come up" and instead of giving me my tickets back, or even mentioning to me that he wasn't going... he just sold them to someone else.

People are just tools sometimes. Didn't even occur to him that I literally probably saved him $100 per seat over what he would've had to pay online, and he just handed that to some jerkoff I didn't know.

At least from what he said. He said he didn't mark them up. But he could have. After that though, who knows.

Anyway, there's no failsafe way to sell the tickets. The exchange is the approved method. I sold mine before the wildcard round, probably for less than I could get now. But that was my way of trying to make sure they PROBABLY went to a Broncos fan.

Hell, even if you sell them to someone here through back channels, you don't know they're not going to sell them to someone else.

Oh, that kind of thing is irritating. My son had a friend a few years ago that had a cell phone that was literally patched together with duct tape. I had just upgraded my phone, and I liked this kid. So, after making sure he had the same carrier, I gave him my old phone (which was in great shape - could have passed for new - I'm just a gadget guy, who likes to get the latest version of stuff). I said to him at the time, "Man, your phone looks like it's seen some mileage. Why don't you take the one I've been using, so that you can put that one out to pasture?" He acted really appreciative, and spent a good part of the evening messing around with his "new" phone.

A month later, I see him, and he's again using the duct tape phone. I ask him, "Why aren't you using the phone I gave you? Did it have a problem?" He answered that when he got home, he checked out what the phones were selling for on the secondary market, and decided he could use the money for something else.

I wasn't mad at him - he's a teenage kid, and teenage kids are naturally the most narcissistic creatures on planet earth. But it did hurt my feelings, a bit. Little bastard.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2016, 03:50 PM
In other words, you are broke.

Hahahaha, no. But if I spent five figures on a single ticket, I would be.

Hilarious!

ak1971
01-11-2016, 07:12 PM
They roll these stories out at every big game. No way is someone paying that much or getting that much for a ticket. As someone else stated here, you'll see closer to face as the week rolls on

broncocalijohn
01-11-2016, 07:21 PM
$310 each for my tickets and you guys can go and root on the Broncos. $335 for anyone else. In Cali and can't go. South Stands lower bowl. This price keeps the trailer park whinos out of my season seats.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Ticket scalping should be illegal.

*WARHORSE*
01-11-2016, 07:57 PM
You know, youd think the guy that asks for $100,000 for a seat is an idiot. But what if you have some tool that has that money and wants to say he bought it? If someone will pay 10,000, then theyll pay 100,000.

Cant believe it

milehighJC
01-11-2016, 09:02 PM
I see tickets around mine selling for mid 300s. I could definitely use the $$, but there is NO way I'm giving up Sunday afternoon at the game with my sports lunatic daughter.

I had tickets to the 2001 Stanley cup game 7, could have netted close to a grand in profit, but took my son. The memories of that game are priceless.

The seats next to mine are often visiting fans. I hope whoever owns them at least sells the to someone in orange.

RMT
01-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Ticket scalping should be illegal.

So should the NFL's practice of forcing us season ticketholders to buy preseason games - and at regular season prices, too.

R8R H8R
01-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Six figures actually.

Sideline Club in section 334? $100,000:~ohyah!:

Click on the far right where it says: price ^

http://www.stubhub.com/denver-broncos-tickets-denver-broncos-denver-sports-authority-field-at-mile-high-1-17-2016/event/9454720/

Actually, it's up to $450,000 now. This is some con artist trying to rip somebody off. There is no such thing as "sideline club". I think he is trying to imply it is a sideline pass, but it is actually a club seat in section 334. That is approx the 15 yd line. Face value in regular season is about $350 or so.

For example, better seats in the club, like the 50 yd line, are going for about $2500 in this game.

Another clue that this is a crook is that the next highest price seats are about $8,000 or so. Way too much, but not 450k.

orinjkrush
01-11-2016, 10:27 PM
If Elway is serious, he should have bought them all "kicking and screaming".

Dendave
01-13-2016, 07:47 AM
I just wish there was a way to send the seller a message or something. I just looked and there are 1596 seats available in upper level on stub hub, 1118 in the 200-300 levels and 5102 in lower level. I would be willing to pay face value for a ticket, but there is no way of contacting these people to negotiate, to me that is where the problem lies at least on the street from a scalper you can try and get a lower price

mwill07
01-13-2016, 08:36 AM
I just wish there was a way to send the seller a message or something. I just looked and there are 1596 seats available in upper level on stub hub, 1118 in the 200-300 levels and 5102 in lower level. I would be willing to pay face value for a ticket, but there is no way of contacting these people to negotiate, to me that is where the problem lies at least on the street from a scalper you can try and get a lower price

What am I missing here...how would the negotiation work?

There are several thousand tickets available, and tens of thousands of potential customers. Why would anyone discount? How could you talk your way down?

If you don't want to pay $x for seat A, pay $y for seat B. That's how you negotiate.

Or, try Craigslist.

Dendave
01-13-2016, 08:51 AM
What am I missing here...how would the negotiation work?

There are several thousand tickets available, and tens of thousands of potential customers. Why would anyone discount? How could you talk your way down?

If you don't want to pay $x for seat A, pay $y for seat B. That's how you negotiate.

Or, try Craigslist.
really don't know, but I have season tickets to the Lions and I will use the Bronco game at Detroit as an example. I was on the ticket exchange and was watching the price of the season ticket holder in front of me selling his tickets on the exchange. He started at around $500 for the Lion's first home game of the season and on SNF. I watched as the weeks went by and he kept lowering the price and lowering the price he never sold the tickets the were empty for the game. If there was a way of contacting the person and at least offering something for the ticket instead of going unused I think it should be an option. I tried calling the ticket office and they wouldn't give me his name and number, understandably and at the next Lion game I asked him for his number because if I ever needed tickets again and he was selling his I could call him and make him an offer. Again it's just a thought

mwill07
01-13-2016, 09:55 AM
really don't know, but I have season tickets to the Lions and I will use the Bronco game at Detroit as an example. I was on the ticket exchange and was watching the price of the season ticket holder in front of me selling his tickets on the exchange. He started at around $500 for the Lion's first home game of the season and on SNF. I watched as the weeks went by and he kept lowering the price and lowering the price he never sold the tickets the were empty for the game. If there was a way of contacting the person and at least offering something for the ticket instead of going unused I think it should be an option. I tried calling the ticket office and they wouldn't give me his name and number, understandably and at the next Lion game I asked him for his number because if I ever needed tickets again and he was selling his I could call him and make him an offer. Again it's just a thought

Here's the difference between stubhub and nflticketexchange: stubhub will let you sell for less than face. Craigslist will too. If the dude didn't sell his tix, he was being too greedy. There are avenues to dump tickets that don't sell. I don't really see the problem here.

If he put them on stubhub for $10, I promise they would have sold.

DENVERDUI55
01-13-2016, 09:57 AM
stubhub has a guarantee for buyers that if the tix don't work, they'll instantly send you something equal to or better than them from their inventory and they'll charge the original seller for whatever replacement tix they'll give you.

Stubhub and ticket exchange are safe. Anywhere else it is a gamble.