PDA

View Full Version : Matchup Conundrum: Pick the Starter AFTER this weekend?

ludo21
01-06-2016, 06:28 AM
So, let me bring up an idea I stole from the AZ radio show this morning.

What if Kubiak waits until AFTER this weekends games to name a starter?

We will play the 4/5/6 seed, we all know this. So if KC or Houston wins, they bring in GREAT Defenses with fantastic pass rushes which obviously will destroy our OL. Would we be better off playing Osweiler who can elude the pass rush a little better and run those bootlegs? Or Manning?

Same for Pittsburgh, their DEFENSE Sucks, we all know this. Peyton could carve them up if he is healthy, probably better than Oz could since we know they are going to blitz a LOT.

So, the theory is this, do we wait until after this weekend? Do we play Oz if we matchup with KC or Houston and then play Peyton against the Steelers if they are the matchup?

Thoughts worth considering while we guess at who the starter is going to be.

OABB
01-06-2016, 06:30 AM
I think kubes will announce Thursday. The team would like to know is my guess.

M-G
01-06-2016, 06:33 AM
Weather should also be a consideration. If it's cold as hell, Peyton has admitted that affects the feeling in his hands.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2016, 06:54 AM
I think kubes will announce Thursday. The team would like to know is my guess.

I think Kubes will announce NEXT Thursday.

He'll tell the team this week.

Ragnar
01-06-2016, 06:57 AM
The team probably already knows.. The announcement for the league will come 5 minutes before the deadline for getting fined.

The Joker
01-06-2016, 07:00 AM
The team probably already knows.. The announcement for the league will come 5 minutes before the deadline for getting fined.

Are we obliged to publicly name a starter by a certain deadline?

Anyway, once the decision is made it'll be public knowledge soon after. No way in hell you can keep that under wraps given how closely this situation is being watched.

OABB
01-06-2016, 07:00 AM
I think Kubes will announce NEXT Thursday.

He'll tell the team this week.

Good point.

jacob2125
01-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Everybody knows it's going to be Manning. They could surprise everybody and name Brock the starter last minute, have him run one play and then pull the old switcharoo and send in Manning

jmz313
01-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Manning is going to be leading this team into the postseason. I think you'll hear that Oz got extra reps as the back up and that Kubiak won't hesitate to going to him if needed if even for a few series.

I think its all going to be gamesmanship. Manning is healthy enough to play, he's playing every snap. We'll need him more against those D's and Blitzes. its the only way the OL has a chance is him making reads.

FlaBroncosFan
01-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Elway will be the starter and Kubiak will back him up.

69bronco
01-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Manning is going to be leading this team into the postseason. I think you'll hear that Oz got extra reps as the back up and that Kubiak won't hesitate to going to him if needed if even for a few series.

I think its all going to be gamesmanship. Manning is healthy enough to play, he's playing every snap. We'll need him more against those D's and Blitzes. its the only way the OL has a chance is him making reads.

Yep, a bad o-line's best friend is the qb who is the fastest at getting rid of the football. Brock's 7 step drops and taking 7 seconds to scan the first two reads won't cut vs the teams still left in the playoffs.

broncobum6162
01-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Everybody knows it's going to be Manning. They could surprise everybody and name Brock the starter last minute, have him run one play and then pull the old switcharoo and send in Manning

That would be a move of Epic proportions. I approve:thumbs:

winstoncup bronco
01-06-2016, 07:32 AM
I remember back in 2013, the Broncos as the #1 seed asked the league to schedule them for the late Sunday game, because Manning liked to keep his routine intact.

Could be why we're playing on Sunday again this year.

ludo21
01-06-2016, 07:40 AM
I remember back in 2013, the Broncos as the #1 seed asked the league to schedule them for the late Sunday game, because Manning liked to keep his routine intact.

Could be why we're playing on Sunday again this year.

I believe its not because of Manning. But sure.

The theory of this is crazy because of the human perspective and practice routines, but its fun to speculate.

Kaylore
01-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Best post of this thread.

ScottXray
01-06-2016, 07:55 AM
I think the team we play makes no difference to Kubes.
He probably knows who he is starting. But he won't reveal it until he has to.

As far as practice my thought is that since Mannings foot is still a questionmark he is going to give both QBs equal reps ,to
1. Keep Manning as healthy as possible and
2. keep the element of surprise intact as long as possible, and
3. Keep Brock in the game plan.

I think we win with either QB as long as he also keeps the O line change ups he made in the second half and keeps Schoefield out of the game, or only in with help. You simply cannot let that guy wreck the playoffs .

OABB
01-06-2016, 07:58 AM

I mean if we are gonna go with old qbs who can't play anymore, might as well go with the greatest QB of all time.

HAT
01-06-2016, 08:01 AM
Brock's 7 step drops and taking 7 seconds to scan the first two reads won't cut vs the teams still left in the playoffs.

Agreed....Broncos would never be able to hang with the likes of Cincy or NE with Brock under center.

Br0nc0Buster
01-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Manning starts at qb
Brock starts at WR

Fade routes all the way to the superbowl

55CrushEm
01-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Agreed....Broncos would never be able to hang with the likes of Cincy or NE with Brock under center.

Yet we beat both of those teams with Brock already......

Perhaps I didn't detect your sarcasm ??

jmz313
01-06-2016, 08:21 AM

LOL. i don't think you did either.

OABB
01-06-2016, 08:26 AM

He is just too inexperienced and looks like a giraffe or something.

What he has actually done on the football field does not matter.

I FELT better watching Manning hand it off and that is good enough for me because I am a terrible Broncos fan and a mongo.

OABB
01-06-2016, 08:26 AM

You missed it as bad as manning misses an incutting receiver.

HAT
01-06-2016, 08:45 AM
^5Yet we beat both of those teams with Brock already......

ludo21
01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
However, it is very tough to beat teams TWICE in one year, especially considering we were in the HOLE against those teams by two scores.

baja
01-06-2016, 09:35 AM
I think the team we play makes no difference to Kubes.
He probably knows who he is starting. But he won't reveal it until he has to.

As far as practice my thought is that since Mannings foot is still a questionmark he is going to give both QBs equal reps ,to
1. Keep Manning as healthy as possible and
2. keep the element of surprise intact as long as possible, and
3. Keep Brock in the game plan.

I think we win with either QB as long as he also keeps the O line change ups he made in the second half and keeps Schoefield out of the game, or only in with help. You simply cannot let that guy wreck the playoffs .

Here's what I'd do; Start Manning, play him for a series and see how he's doing and how the team responds, if he looks like bad Manning but in Brock.

Same plan the following week and the SB.

You got to start Manning - if he shiits the bed yank him.

Dedhed
01-06-2016, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't announce the starter at all. I would make whoever we end up playing prepare in a cloud of doubt.

I would have Manning and Brock both standing on the sidelines with their helmets on until the first offensive series, and then send Brock out.

4Horsemen
01-06-2016, 10:30 AM
John Elway himself should suit up and throw some warms ups in the old orange and blue uni just to f*ck with everyone. bow legged and all.

Dendave
01-06-2016, 10:36 AM

That would be failed logic, because when the Broncos win, the record books will show Brock as the starter and Manning won't be able to pad his playoff win/loss record:~ohyah!:

ZONA
01-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Any way you want to cut this up, it all boils down to this OL stepping up, no matter who the QB is, no matter how great our defense is, coaching adjustments, etc.

If the Broncos are going to win the Superbowl, the OL has to look something like they did against the Packers. It's so easy to get caught up in the Brock vs Manning thing, but in the end, it's going to come down to the OL. We all know it.

Punisher
01-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Pitt:Start Manning
Texans/KC: Start Brock

Jahtilla
01-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Since we are at home, I would start Brock. Run bootlegs and misdirection runs all first half to tire out their D. Then bring in Manning's Statue to carve up their D while they are all grabbing for oxygen masks.

55CrushEm
01-06-2016, 12:36 PM
You missed it as bad as manning misses an incutting receiver.

:giggle:

OABB
01-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Any way you want to cut this up, it all boils down to this OL stepping up, no matter who the QB is, no matter how great our defense is, coaching adjustments, etc.

If the Broncos are going to win the Superbowl, the OL has to look something like they did against the Packers. It's so easy to get caught up in the Brock vs Manning thing, but in the end, it's going to come down to the OL. We all know it.

Yes.

footstepsfrom#27
01-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Same for Pittsburgh, their DEFENSE Sucks, we all know this. Peyton could carve them up if he is healthy, probably better than Oz could since we know they are going to blitz a LOT.
You imagine Peyton beating the blitz...how? The only way he can do that is to get the ball out fast, meaning nothing but short routes, meaning we let their secondary off the hook by letting them play tight and force us to dink and dunk. That won't beat their passing game.