PDA

View Full Version : California will be out of water in 1 year

ZONA
03-18-2015, 10:06 PM
According to a NASA scientist who has been using satellites to determine the amount of water in CA. Their drought has been bad but back up supplies are running low and ground water is also running low.

http://www.kusi.com/story/28535558/nasa-scientists-predicts-california-will-run-out-of-water

Quoydogs
03-18-2015, 10:19 PM
According to a NASA scientist who has been using satellites to determine the amount of water in CA. Their drought has been bad but back up supplies are running low and ground water is also running low.

http://www.kusi.com/story/28535558/nasa-scientists-predicts-california-will-run-out-of-water

Wow that would devastate us. I mean to have to rehome all those people is one thing but the amount of food they grow in unreal . Holy **** I hope they got this one wrong.

alkemical
03-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Good thing I loaded up on strawberry seeds. I'll miss avacado though. Time to get some gardens kicking.

broncocalijohn
03-18-2015, 10:20 PM
It is being refuted by others. It is a damn problem and wish we can take some of that snow from MASS and send it over here. I am waiting for our Governor to start demanding pools need to be drained, water down to 1 or 2 days and showers every other day.

alkemical
03-18-2015, 10:23 PM
I did over 35 tomato plants last year. I might need to start cranking it up.

Lettuces and greens are easier to handle all year. But this is going to jack food prices.

I should also get more mushroom beds going to help as a protein substitute.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-18-2015, 10:43 PM
They are already putting in small restrictions in LA. watering lawns, asking for water at restaurants, etc. agricultural uses the vast majority of it though

SoCalBronco
03-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Yep, restrictions are being put into place.

The problem is the groundwater extraction law came way way way too late so there was too much being sucked out before. If we don't get the snowpack, construction of desalinization plants is really the only other way, which is not ideal and expensive but at some point we won't be left with other choices.

The water bond last year was a small, incremental thing and isn't going to create an immediate impact, but will help a little bit down the road.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
03-18-2015, 10:58 PM
It's ok. We can just fill buckets from a magical stream of endless water just blocks away from me.

http://m.montereycountyweekly.com/news/local_news/a-carmel-property-has-been-flooding-for-months-and-nobody/article_47289170-2330-11e4-af74-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Quoydogs
03-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Our mountains in Oregon are a 6 percent snow fall for the year. This is becoming a real problem

ZONA
03-18-2015, 11:04 PM
It's ok. We can just fill buckets from a magical stream of endless water just blocks away from me.

http://m.montereycountyweekly.com/news/local_news/a-carmel-property-has-been-flooding-for-months-and-nobody/article_47289170-2330-11e4-af74-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

So that's why your ground water has been low, it's all been gushing out at that lady's house, LMAO. Yeah, they better tap that thing now and save what they can.

whoeey
03-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Well...........bye

Drunken.Broncoholic2
03-18-2015, 11:09 PM
So that's why your ground water has been low, it's all been gushing out at that lady's house, LMAO. Yeah, they better tap that thing now and save what they can.

We get blasted by 2 disasters. The drought and water politics. From the mess of the San Clemente dam removal to the bickering of desalination, it's not pretty.

Bronco Yoda
03-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Don't worry there are plans in place to build a long pipeline..... oh wait it's for oil.

... carry on.

whoeey
03-18-2015, 11:17 PM
Don't worry there are plans in place to build a long pipeline..... oh wait it's for oil.

... carry on.

Cali have someone willing to sell them water? Didn't think so.

baja
03-19-2015, 12:21 AM
They'll invade Canada.

Requiem
03-19-2015, 12:26 AM
Can someone tell me how the **** we don't have mass desalination capabilities?

I want to know the conspiracies or reasons why it can't be done.

whoeey
03-19-2015, 12:34 AM

Oceans are just big cesspools.

whoeey
03-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Good thing I loaded up on strawberry seeds. I'll miss avacado though. Time to get some gardens kicking.

GMO plants grow well with little effort;)

B-Large
03-19-2015, 05:47 AM
The answer is clearly more prayer. Duh.

Brohemoth
03-19-2015, 06:16 AM
Doesn't California get much of its water from Colorado anyway? Haha

gunns
03-19-2015, 06:22 AM
Our mountains in Oregon are a 6 percent snow fall for the year. This is becoming a real problem

Yep we are going thru the same thing in Utah. Have had only two snow storms this winter with any measurable snow and that was only about an inch each time and melted within 4 hours. Last year was much the same. While I've enjoyed the spring like temperatures throughout the winter, we do need water. However, the weather people here cry wolf about our water supply every year even when we get dumped on.

ghwk
03-19-2015, 06:47 AM
It is being refuted by others. It is a damn problem and wish we can take some of that snow from MASS and send it over here. I am waiting for our Governor to start demanding pools need to be drained, water down to 1 or 2 days and showers every other day.

I am not seeing anyone refute this.

69bronco
03-19-2015, 06:52 AM
desalination

baja
03-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Yesterday, nations went to war for land. Today, our conflicts involve energy. And tomorrow, Brahma Chellaney writes, the battles will be about water. The award-winning author believes that Mark Twain was right when he said, “Whisky is for drinking, water is for fighting over.”

There is “blue water,” “green water,” even “virtual water.” But however labeled, water is the world’s single most important resource. Life is not possible without it. It will likely determine our future.

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/article/blue-gold-coming-water-wars

Que
03-19-2015, 07:04 AM

It is very expensive energy wise. However recent advancements have brought down the cost dramatically. Dsal is an option for municipal water supplies but not agriculture.

PRBronco
03-19-2015, 07:25 AM
As someone who is finally reading Dune and is about half way through, this is freaking me out.

Inkana7
03-19-2015, 07:28 AM

It's just super expensive and inefficient, which is why it's really only done on a large scale by oil producing states in the Middle East like the UAE, where money is no issue.

Meck77
03-19-2015, 07:36 AM
All things point to a continued real estate boom in the Colorado front range. Come get your piece before millions more Californians come. They are coming....

Smiling Assassin27
03-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Had they invested in desalination plants 30 years ago, this would be a non-issue. Hell, California commits money to boondoggles like high speed trains rather than addressing simple and obvious limitations of possessing large swaths of arid landscape. Is desalination costly? Yes, but compared to running out of water, it is dirt cheap. Of course, the California state government has never been known for sensible spending or practical solutions to any problems, let alone the competency it would take to do a project efficiently.

As for the high energy use, I'm sure California's investment in wind and solar can provide the required energy, right? Uh, no. Fossil fuels, however, along with nuclear could, however. Of course, that would also require environmentalists taking a rational position, which just doesn't happen in the People's Republic of California.

Will it raise water prices statewide? Initially, it certainly would. The effect of that will be reflected in higher prices for most things--so get to Disneyland soon, folks. Right now, California's averaging the construction of one new desalination plant per year. It's too little too late at this point, though. But unlike wind and solar in the energy field, the desalination option would not be unreliable or intermittent but would be a reliable source, albeit never a stand alone solution to lack of natural water sources. As for its use in agriculture, the technology is being developed to use desalinated water for crops but again, too little too late in the game. Treated sewage for crops can work, as Israel has shown--50% of water used for ag is fro treated sewage there.

I hope California somehow gets it together, as the drought ain't going anywhere.

24champ
03-19-2015, 08:01 AM
The scientist is FOS and is obviously looking to grab headlines from his editorial.

There is a major aquifer in the Central Valley that USGS experts estimate to hold 800 million acres of water. That's from centuries of runoff water from the sierras and rivers. It's massive and makes Lake Mead look like a pond. The problem is that water is becoming an increasingly more expensive venture. People are suggesting desalination, which costs untold billions and drilling for water is becoming more expensive the deeper for farmers to drill along with filtering it to make it clean enough for farming.

These farmers used to be supported by locals years ago and now you have hedge fund managers and other wealthy types moving in to invest in these lands.

Water is going to be the next gold rush, IF the trends continue.

B-Large
03-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Too many people living in places with far too few resources... That's the modern human way alright...

24champ
03-19-2015, 08:09 AM
Too many people living in places with far too few resources... That's the modern human way alright...

And that's the issue facing the Western states, not just California. It's hard to manage water when the population is growing at a rapid rate during times where the climate is arid.

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2015, 08:10 AM
It's unreal how different this winter has been for the Northeast and everyone else.

I've still got over 2 freakin feet of packed snow and ice in my yard....and I have acreage and get direct sunlight all day. Enormous snow banks anywhere with a parking lot. Wind chills have been in the single digits all week.

Out of the 80 odd days of 2015, we've literally had 4 "nice" days and none went over 50 degrees.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 08:15 AM
All things point to a continued real estate boom in the Colorado front range. Come get your piece before millions more Californians come. They are coming....

****y comment first. Second I'm way more worried about the food supply then I am about were people will move to.

California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on and on).

On its own, California would be the world’s ninth-largest agricultural economy, according to a University of California at Davis study. Shifts in its production reverberate globally, said Dan Sumner, another agricultural economist at the school.

broncocalijohn
03-19-2015, 08:16 AM
I am not seeing anyone refute this.

That our water is going to run out in 12 months? We would be in panic mode right now. We are in trouble just not that fast. I think Mormons have started hoarding 2 years worth of water.

Meck77
03-19-2015, 08:23 AM
****y comment first. Second I'm way more worried about the food supply then I am about were people will move to.

California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on and on).

Well I happen to be in real estate and farming so don't worry some of us are working towards your food security. :wave:

It's been a steady flow of Californians for decades. I do think the pace is going to accelerate. The growth in the front range is unreal and likely to accelerate. Not sure what's so ****ty about that comment. It's just a fact. I think I recall you said you were looking to move to the front range. You might take my advice and get here sooner than later. If it wasn't you disregard.

Kaylore
03-19-2015, 08:24 AM
California does have a water issue. That said, they will not "run out" of water in one year. I was watching the Robert Redford movie "Three Days of the Condor" a little while ago. This movie came out in 1975. This was at the height of the energy crisis and the cold war, mind you. During the last part of movie, Turner is speaking with Higgins and he goes on about how they're totally out of energy in a few years and in a decade the country will be out of food.

There were actually people in 1975 that were saying and really believed this. That by 1985 America was going to be out of food.

It never happens that way. Nothing just stops. You'll see the price go up and governments start doing things to save. It's not like on March 18th in 2016 all of California's water will disappear like the rapture.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Well I happen to be in real estate and farming so don't worry some of us are working towards your food security. :wave:

It's been a steady flow of Californians for decades. I do think the pace is going to accelerate. The growth in the front range is unreal and likely to accelerate. Not sure what's so ****ty about that comment. It's just a fact.

I posted this after you quoted me. It's a notable thing.

On its own, California would be the world’s ninth-largest agricultural economy, according to a University of California at Davis study. Shifts in its production reverberate globally, said Dan Sumner, another agricultural economist at the school.

As far as the ****y comment. People are people and we need to start caring for one and another again. That is what made Merica so great to begin with.

WolfpackGuy
03-19-2015, 08:28 AM
If more people move east to Colorado, won't that mean less water for people downstream along the Colorado River in UT, NV, CA, and AZ?

I know some of the water that would normally flow west is siphoned off and fed east.

B-Large
03-19-2015, 08:38 AM
And that's the issue facing the Western states, not just California. It's hard to manage water when the population is growing at a rapid rate during times where the climate is arid.

yep, I kind of feel implicit. We have a huge garden at our house, very little of it xeric or food producing. It is well established with well amended soil and mulch, so we don't use that much water... But it's wasteful and a creature comfort.

socalorado
03-19-2015, 08:46 AM
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/02/17/president%E2%80%99s-day-obama-plays-water-guzzling-desert-golf-courses-amid-california-drought

President’s Day: Obama Plays at Water-Guzzling Desert Golf Courses Amid California Drought.

The 124 golf courses in the Coachella Valley consume roughly 17 percent of all water there, and one quarter of the water pumped out of the region’s at-risk groundwater aquifer, according to the Coachella Valley Water District. Statewide, roughly one percent of water goes to keep golf courses green. Each of the 124 Coachella Valley courses, on average, uses nearly 1 million gallons a day due to the hot and dry climate, 3-4 times more water per day than the average American golf course. And no, I am not a Fox News nut. I read another article headline and thought how insane this is.
And that's how I got to this article.

Mountain Bronco
03-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Water is obviously a major issue with the droughts the west has experienced, but it isn't going to just ****ing disappear in one year. Yes, Californian's need to conserve, conserve, conserve as we all do in the west. Unfortunately the prior appropriation system, which is primarily used in the west, is a use it or lose it system that does not reward conservation; thus, an entire overhaul of how we legally deal with water needs to happen. Good luck with that....

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
03-19-2015, 08:52 AM
As someone who is finally reading Dune and is about half way through, this is freaking me out.

LOL

We'll all be wearing stillsuits before long.

cabronco
03-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Alot of the fishing lakes & reservoirs are down to very low level where you cant get boat out. A couple has dried up. thank God the one 15 mins from me is stil going, but it will now get more boating/fishing pressure.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 09:08 AM

I think I recall you said you were looking to move to the front range. You might take my advice and get here sooner than later. If it wasn't you disregard.

I would love to move to CO. I almost had it done. Are deal fell through unfortunately :(

Tombstone RJ
03-19-2015, 09:41 AM
and the mass exodus of CA will continue. Get ready for it UT and AZ. If anyone wants to invest in good real estate now, forget CO, it's over priced and already over populated (sorry Meck). Buy property in UT, that's where I'd go... just say'n.

alkemical
03-19-2015, 10:06 AM
GMO plants grow well with little effort;)

Well, minus the poor soil health that actually increases the demand for water (in monoculture AG principles anyway).

TerrElway
03-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Yep we are going thru the same thing in Utah. Have had only two snow storms this winter with any measurable snow and that was only about an inch each time and melted within 4 hours. Last year was much the same. While I've enjoyed the spring like temperatures throughout the winter, we do need water. However, the weather people here cry wolf about our water supply every year even when we get dumped on.

Amen on the weather people. Two years ago we had record snow and they were all lamenting that it wasn't doing any good. All the lakes and reservoirs were at or over capacity and it just wasn't enough. This summer and fall were some of the wettest on record and it just wasn't enough.

Now we aren't getting ANY precip and I finally believe the weather guys that it JUST ISN'T ENOUGH!

They can't accurately predict the weather 2 days out so I trust them as much as ManRam trusts a kicker.

Having grown up on a farm, I saw how big a deal weather is to those who make their living off the land and I still tend to look at it through the agricultural eye (even though I'm solidly a suburbanite these days) and the absence of a decent winter worries me a lot. You would think that a blocking high pressure would eventually move but it's been in place for months.

I blame John Fox.

Blake Street Bomber
03-19-2015, 10:21 AM
São Paulo may be out of water in two months.

The city is now using the second of its three reserves.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/feb/25/sao-paulo-brazil-failing-megacity-water-crisis-rationing

TerrElway
03-19-2015, 10:27 AM
and the mass exodus of CA will continue. Get ready for it UT and AZ. If anyone wants to invest in good real estate now, forget CO, it's over priced and already over populated (sorry Meck). Buy property in UT, that's where I'd go... just say'n.

SHUT UP!!

The Californication of Utah is well under way with dumb asses who want to live the country life and then call animal control when their neighbors horses poop in the pasture next door and the neighbors don't bag it (true story)!

So stay away from Utah! YOU HEAR ME!!

It's full of Mormons!! Ohhh!! Scary!! We will invite you to church and do other strange **** like bring you cookies and say "hello" when we see you outside!! We have goofy liquor laws and rude drivers!!

Also, it snows and we let white guys play for our NBA team!!

(Is any of this scaring you away yet?)

24champ
03-19-2015, 10:31 AM

Land and housing is very cheap in Montana/Idaho. That is if you can withstand the harsh winter weather.

Tombstone RJ
03-19-2015, 10:34 AM
SHUT UP!!

The Californication of Utah is well under way with dumb asses who want to live the country life and then call animal control when their neighbors horses poop in the pasture next door and the neighbors don't bag it (true story)!

It's full of Mormons!! Ohhh!! Scary!! We will invite you to church and do other strange **** like bring you cookies and say "hello" when we see you outside!! We have goofy liquor laws and rude drivers!!

Yah, sorry bro.

Tombstone RJ
03-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Land and housing is very cheap in Montana/Idaho. That is if you can withstand the harsh winter weather.

shut up.

alkemical
03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

+ a large % of the Weed.....

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 11:12 AM
SHUT UP!!

WOW

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 11:13 AM
+ a large % of the Weed.....

Good weed at that.

alkemical
03-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Good weed at that.

All depends on whom the growers are.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 11:20 AM
All depends on whom the growers are.

Thats a no brainier . That is everywhere but Humboldt county is known for some of the best weed in the world.

baja
03-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Thats a no brainier . That is everywhere but Humboldt county is known for some of the best weed in the world.

It's not a weed, Cannabis is a medicinal herb that deserves respect for all it offers to humans.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 11:45 AM
It's not a weed, Cannabis is a medicinal herb that deserves respect for all it offers to humans.

and Dogs. My 2 doggies have epilepsy. One of them had a spike in his Thyroid level do to the Phenobarbital. We tried the CBD on them and are now at 8 months seizure free no Phenobarb. = Awesome.

itswutz4dinna
03-19-2015, 01:04 PM
SHUT UP!!

I would never live in Utah due to the liquor laws, so you have that going for you. I could care more about everything else.

alkemical
03-19-2015, 01:10 PM

Again, it totally depends on the growers. Not everyone who claims to be a good grower, is a good grower. Just because dude.tte might live in cali...doesn't make them a good grower.

Requiem
03-19-2015, 01:15 PM

Idaho and Montana have really got my interest as a home base in the states. I've been through 27 years of winter, bring more on. :)

WATCH YER TOPKNOT.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZxaTQf-gcMw/hqdefault.jpg

PRBronco
03-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Idaho and Montana have really got my interest as a home base in the states. I've been through 27 years of winter, bring more on. :)

WATCH YER TOPKNOT.

I've always assumed Idaho and Montana have winters similar to Calgary, given that we're more or less in line. Do they get chinook winds there? Do they call them chinook winds in the States?

edit: According to wikipedia Montana gets them and some places in South Dakota? Interdasting.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 01:22 PM
I've always assumed Idaho and Montana have winters similar to Calgary, given that we're more or less in line. Do they get chinook winds there? Do they call them chinook winds in the States?

I grew up there and never heard that term. There is wind there every single day and Mormons. Per ca pita it has way more then Utah. You should know that northern Idaho is way way way different then Southern Idaho.

Samiwindr
03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Interesting that this came out. I do triathlon and last year they closed most of the local reservoirs to the sport because water levels were too low and bacteria levels were high. They are all open for competition this year mainly due to the Pineapple express storms that hit. Snow was absolute crap in Tahoe this year, mostly because the temp was too warm for it to stick. I'm certainly concerned about drought, but we're no where near the conditions in Texas yet, so I don't understand how this guy could say we only have a year of water.

1 in 8 Americans is a Californian. Similarly, California represents about 1/8th of Federal tax revenues and is by far the largest contributor to GDP (2.3 Trillion for 2015 and #2 Texas isn't even close - or more than the bottom 25 states COMBINED). If this state had to migrate under any conditions it would be a national disaster.

As for Californian's moving to Colorado, you should look at it as a huge boon to the state. For the most part, they're paying for their homes in cash, spending California salaries on local goods and services, and won't be a drag on social services when they retire. Most Bay Area companies allow their employees to keep their California Salary when they relocate. You just have to put up with their complete inability to operate a motor vehicle, but Denver highways have looked a lot like California since the mid 90's anyway.

PRBronco
03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
I grew up there and never heard that term. There is wind there every single day and Mormons. Per ca pita it has way more then Utah

Ahh, they're more annoying then anything. People try to sell them as this amazing feature like "it's a warm day in winter!". But really it just means a super fast thaw and refreeze so everything becomes condensed ice, and pressure shifts so drastic it feels like your ears are bleeding. Had it so bad last week it hurt to bite down.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Ahh, they're more annoying then anything. People try to sell them as this amazing feature like "it's a warm day in winter!". But really it just means a super fast thaw and refreeze so everything becomes condensed ice, and pressure shifts so drastic it feels like your ears are bleeding. Had it so bad last week it hurt to bite down.

Oh I miss walking outside and having your nose hair freeze. Oregon sucks for that.

PRBronco
03-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Oh I miss walking outside and having your nose hair freeze. Oregon sucks for that.

Haha I can't tell if you're being sarcastic because I love that sensation. Freeeeeze thaaaaaw freeeeeeeze thaaaaaaw.

Quoydogs
03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Haha I can't tell if you're being sarcastic because I love that sensation. Freeeeeze thaaaaaw freeeeeeeze thaaaaaaw.

No i really love it.

PRBronco
03-19-2015, 01:40 PM
No i really love it.

:D Finally someone who gets me!

Requiem
03-19-2015, 01:44 PM

edit: According to wikipedia Montana gets them and some places in South Dakota? Interdasting.

Yeah, they have them in Montana, Idaho and South Dakota (out West River). Even the Pacific Northwest. I know friends out in the Black Hills who are quite familiar with them.

Requiem
03-19-2015, 01:46 PM
No i really love it.

You should live in Fargo, ND for one winter and endure - 20 below for about three months straight and winter temperature for half the year and see how you like it.

TerrElway
03-19-2015, 03:22 PM
You should live in Fargo, ND for one winter and endure - 20 below for about three months straight and winter temperature for half the year and see how you like it.

I prefer winter over summer all the time. I grew up in a high mountain valley with plenty of snow and subzero temperatures for the majority of the winter.

It makes you feel ALIVE!

Of course, I hear that the older you get, the less you tolerate cold. I'm 44 and it doesn't bother me yet. Heat bothers me much more. I don't know how ANYONE lives in Phoenix or Vegas or anywhere south of Salt Lake/Denver/Reno for that matter.

Castinkas
03-19-2015, 03:28 PM

As far as the ****y comment. People are people and we need to start caring for one and another again. That is what made Merica so great to begin with.

Give your workers $15/hr.

Dukes
03-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Give your workers $15/hr.

How about $50/hr?

alkemical
03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
How about $50/hr?

Maybe if they're making you 150$+/hr.

ZONA
03-20-2015, 05:35 PM
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/02/17/president%E2%80%99s-day-obama-plays-water-guzzling-desert-golf-courses-amid-california-drought

President’s Day: Obama Plays at Water-Guzzling Desert Golf Courses Amid California Drought.

And no, I am not a Fox News nut. I read another article headline and thought how insane this is.
And that's how I got to this article.

And If Obama didn't play golf there that day, would the golf course still use the same amount of water? :welcome:

Meck77
03-20-2015, 08:11 PM
REALTY CHECK! Millions upon millions of pounds of vegetables are tossed into AZ landfills each year. Why? Over production! If california runs out of water the reality is Mexico can and will pick up the slack. It won't be American farmers as most people opt for the cheaper pesticide produce of Mexico. It's sad a sad reality.

I've put a semi load of this same Mexican produce into my compost pile at my Arizona farm. I have a buddy who buys the produce for .02 lb. 2 cents per lb!!! These are the same Bell peppers you all buy at trader joes for 2 for $1.00. The tomatoes you buy at walmart for $1.99 lb. He gives as much of it away as he can to food banks and churches. The last of it goes to farmers like me for composting and feeding livestock. All in an attempt to keep it out of the dump and make some use of it.

http://qz.com/365073/mexican-farmers-are-trucking-produce-into-an-arizona-town-where-tons-of-it-gets-thrown-into-landfills/

oubronco
03-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Ridiculous

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/rtr2ng6d.jpg?w=1600

maher_tyler
03-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Read this awhile back on CNN. If you have the time its well worth it.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/09/opinion/endangered-river-ctl/

Halfway through my three-week, 417-mile journey down the “most endangered” river in America, the water began flowing backward and the mud started talking.

It spoke in baritone gurgles, like Barry White trapped in a bong.

You know what this is, John?

No, Barry White mud.

This is QUICKSAND.

*&#%.

Despite my overactive imagination, this ridiculous situation was real: The quicksand -- I didn’t actually believe in quicksand until that afternoon -- bubbled and spat as it slurped me down and held on tight.

Quoydogs
03-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Just read an article that said people were starting a protest in front of the nestle plant. They claim that they used 400 million gallons last year just for bottling water to sale in other states.

I have a question. Is there anyway to figure out how much water just the citizens of California use ?

alkemical
03-21-2015, 08:17 AM
REALTY CHECK! Millions upon millions of pounds of vegetables are tossed into AZ landfills each year. Why? Over production! If california runs out of water the reality is Mexico can and will pick up the slack. It won't be American farmers as most people opt for the cheaper pesticide produce of Mexico. It's sad a sad reality.

I've put a semi load of this same Mexican produce into my compost pile at my Arizona farm. I have a buddy who buys the produce for .02 lb. 2 cents per lb!!! These are the same Bell peppers you all buy at trader joes for 2 for $1.00. The tomatoes you buy at walmart for $1.99 lb. He gives as much of it away as he can to food banks and churches. The last of it goes to farmers like me for composting and feeding livestock. All in an attempt to keep it out of the dump and make some use of it.

http://qz.com/365073/mexican-farmers-are-trucking-produce-into-an-arizona-town-where-tons-of-it-gets-thrown-into-landfills/

You need to use some Recycler (http://hydro-ponics.com/topic/Re-Cycler) to break down the compost faster...it will accelerate the breakdown of organic matter.

baja
03-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Societies stupid enough to shiit in their water deserve what they get.

Meck77
03-21-2015, 09:56 AM
You need to use some Recycler (http://hydro-ponics.com/topic/Re-Cycler) to break down the compost faster...it will accelerate the breakdown of organic matter.

I use a Bobcat turbo 220 with a 5 ft mower attachment. It's massive powerful blender. Turns a pallet of produce into pulp in about 15 seconds. Worms seem to be taking care of the rest. I'm in no rush.

What my mulcher isn't hammering I process much of it via chickens and goats. It's truly amazing how much produce a goat can eat.

rmsanger
03-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Some people believe in pro choice some are anti abotiorn. I for one am for beyond pro choice and believe it should be forced reproductive applications only. Similar to a building permit two parties should have to apply for the right to reproduce and pay heavy impact fees.

The earth is way to heavily populated with our species and the ship needs to be righted for sustainability.

baja
03-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Some people believe in pro choice some are anti abotiorn. I for one am for beyond pro choice and believe it should be forced reproductive applications only. Similar to a building permit two parties should have to apply for the right to reproduce and pay heavy impact fees.

The earth is way to heavily populated with our species and the ship needs to be righted for sustainability.

Hitler agrees with you. (not saying it is a bad thing. Tricky subject)

Requiem
03-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Are we doing anything to harness all the water from glaciers that are going away?

retro
03-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Are we doing anything to harness all the water from glaciers that are going away?

Yeah Arnold, Gerry Brown and Obama are building a 67 billion dollar high speed train. Oh wait that isn't for water but maybe it will help cool the planet.

rmsanger
03-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Hitler agrees with you. (not saying it is a bad thing. Tricky subject)

No I am not for murder of living being just the prevention of further over production. I am also not for racial or cultural profiling on this process.

HILife
03-22-2015, 10:58 AM

Wine, will be a probably too.

baja
03-22-2015, 12:00 PM
No I am not for murder of living being just the prevention of further over production. I am also not for racial or cultural profiling on this process.

I meant he was into population control as well, aside from the atrocities.

rmsanger
03-22-2015, 12:32 PM
I meant he was into population control as well, aside from the atrocities.

Hmm could be a similar concept but doesn't mean it's evil or incorrect. He targeted a specific segment of the population around population control and extermination.

Where I differ is the killing of living people or the targeting of specific groups of people. You can have humane population control policies as they are not mutually exclusive.

In the end I just want to see a smaller future generations exponentially over the next 100 years.

Dutch
03-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Hmm could be a similar concept but doesn't mean it's evil or incorrect. He targeted a specific segment of the population around population control and extermination.

Where I differ is the killing of living people or the targeting of specific groups of people. You can have humane population control policies as they are not mutually exclusive.

In the end I just want to see a smaller future generations exponentially over the next 100 years.

Statistical trends indicate that you will see exactly this scenario unfold over the next century here in the US. Unfortunately, no indication of this in the rest of the world. In particular, Mexico, Central, and South America. SMH. Much like the environmental devistation propigated by China, India, Russia, and much of the industrializing third world, we operate under the belief that what we do here in the US makes that significant a difference to the equation overall. Bottom line is, as a species we had better figure out a way off this rock. We won't kill the planet, but we sure as hell will render our ability to live here impossible.

v2micca
03-22-2015, 02:46 PM

You want humane population control? It's actually pretty simple. Equal rights and equal education opportunities for all women. Countless studies have shown that societies that don't treat their women like indentured servants while giving them equal educational opportunities see their populations stabilize within a generation. Over-population is a symptom of deeper societal problems.

baja
03-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Actually you are getting your wish in first world countries, third world, not so much.

broncosteven
03-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Fuel Cells are the answer to all of the Earths power and water issues.

RepentWalpurgis
03-22-2015, 03:54 PM
I hope Colorado doesn't have to go to war with California.

Bronco Yoda
03-22-2015, 05:20 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4prqDn7QS8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RepentWalpurgis
03-22-2015, 05:27 PM
You want humane population control? It's actually pretty simple. Equal rights and equal education opportunities for all women. Countless studies have shown that societies that don't treat their women like indentured servants while giving them equal educational opportunities see their populations stabilize within a generation. Over-population is a symptom of deeper societal problems.

Good post.

Fedaykin
03-31-2015, 11:26 PM
This can't possibly be true. Cutlet told us the el nino and a couple hard rains had cleared the entire problem, and everything was ship shape.

Clearly, this is just more liberal scare mongering.

SoCalBronco
03-31-2015, 11:48 PM
Reducing almond production would solve most of the problem.

baja
03-31-2015, 11:53 PM
Reducing almond production would solve most of the problem.

You got 138 golf courses in just one California county each using one million gallons of water a day and your solution is plow under the almond trees. Good thinking Richard junior.

SoCalBronco
04-01-2015, 12:03 AM
You got 138 golf courses in just one California county each using one million gallons of water a day and your solution is plow under the almond trees. Good thinking Richard junior.

"The thing is, nuts use a whole lot of water: it takes about a gallon of water to grow one almond, and nearly five gallons to produce a walnut. Residents across the state are being told to take shorter showers and stop watering their lawns, but the acreage devoted to the state's almond orchards have doubled in the past decade. The amount of water that California uses annually to produce almond exports would provide water for all Los Angeles homes and businesses for almost three years."

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/01/almonds-nuts-crazy-stats-charts

Castinkas
04-01-2015, 01:34 AM

5 hour rounds suck!

Bronco Yoda
04-01-2015, 05:09 AM
"The thing is, nuts use a whole lot of water: it takes about a gallon of water to grow one almond, and nearly five gallons to produce a walnut. Residents across the state are being told to take shorter showers and stop watering their lawns, but the acreage devoted to the state's almond orchards have doubled in the past decade. The amount of water that California uses annually to produce almond exports would provide water for all Los Angeles homes and businesses for almost three years."

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/01/almonds-nuts-crazy-stats-charts

Those are interesting facts. Who knew? That's just crazy.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2015, 07:36 AM
electric roads and cannabis people!!!!

eddie mac
04-01-2015, 07:42 AM
I'll send all you Cali's some cos it rains every bloody day here.

DomCasual
04-02-2015, 10:29 PM

The way I see this is that people are people, so why should it be that you and I should get along so awfully?

Guess Who
06-13-2015, 01:35 PM

Broncojef
06-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Maybe they should stop passing liberal legislation to stop protecting smelt and build some reservoirs like everyone else. Typical California... Create a problem through bad laws then regulate everything as it fails.

Guess Who
06-13-2015, 03:31 PM
http://earthjustice.org/sites/default/files/ny-bans-fracking_earthjustice.jpg

Guess Who
06-13-2015, 03:33 PM
http://frackingfreeireland.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/fracking-bans.jpg

Guess Who
06-13-2015, 03:36 PM
http://aquadoc.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bf80a53ef01b7c77a65a3970b-pi

ZONA
06-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Maybe they should stop passing liberal legislation to stop protecting smelt and build some reservoirs like everyone else. Typical California... Create a problem through bad laws then regulate everything as it fails.

And when the drought continues, and those reservoirs are drained, then what? Seems pretty logical to me that if the existing fracking wells are using more then 2 major cities combined in a year (and more wells arrive every day), they should heavily reduce fracking. Why not research other methods to get the gas and oil rather then use up the most precious resource on the planet in order to get it. Or is that too much to ask? Do you not agree that water is more vital to us then oil is?

Archer81
06-13-2015, 05:11 PM
And when the drought continues, and those reservoirs are drained, then what? Seems pretty logical to me that if the existing fracking wells are using more then 2 major cities combined in a year (and more wells arrive every day), they should heavily reduce fracking. Why not research other methods to get the gas and oil rather then use up the most precious resource on the planet in order to get it. Or is that too much to ask? Do you not agree that water is more vital to us then oil is?

Not to be contrarian, but if we are talking about volume of the resource, oil is far more precious than water. Just sayin. :thanku:

:Broncos:

baja
06-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Not to be contrarian, but if we are talking about volume of the resource, oil is far more precious than water. Just sayin. :thanku:

Go sit in the desert sun for three days with a glass of water and a glass of crude oil and tell me which one you value higher.

Archer81
06-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Go sit in the desert sun for three days with a glass of water and a glass of crude oil and tell me which one you value higher.

Yes. Because that's what I said.

baja
06-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Yes. Because that's what I said.

no it isn't

Archer81
06-13-2015, 08:42 PM
no it isn't

I know it wasnt. I was kidding. Both times.

baja
06-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Oh

ZONA
06-13-2015, 09:10 PM

Nobody is saying oil and gas isn't important. But I think there has to be better methods of getting it without wasting billions of gallons of precious water. Eventually, we'll have alternate methods for fuel. Oil in the future will be replaced with something more advanced. Water will never be replaced. Our lives depend on it, along with a billion other living things on the planet.

My point is, don't be so quick to think there's an endless supply of fresh water that we can just waste. But I'll also say that we can do a better job with water management and the way we use it in many different areas, not just cutting supplies to the fracking industry.

baja
06-13-2015, 09:44 PM
If everyone in California switched to composting toilets and stopped using precious water to float their turds down hill there would water for everything else.

baja
06-13-2015, 09:47 PM
"Look here Helen back in 2015 they actually shat in their fresh water and did it for over 100 years, can you imagine that!!!!!"

DrOrangeLove
06-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Meanwhile as NYC frantically constructs dykes

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/06/12/flashback-abcs-08-prediction-nyc-under-water-climate-change-june

Punisher
06-14-2015, 07:24 AM
Not a problem just send in Captain Planet

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/4515088/captain-planet-powers-combined-o.gif

DrOrangeLove
06-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Not a problem just send in Captain Planet

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/4515088/captain-planet-powers-combined-o.gif

Heart was always the lamest power.

Punisher
06-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Heart was always the lamest power.

Yeah but he gets the cute little Monkey and I'm pretty sure he uses his ring to plow hot middle eastern ass.

DrOrangeLove
06-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Yeah but he gets the cute little Monkey and I'm pretty sure he uses his ring to plow hot middle eastern ass.

where can I purchase three of these heart rings?

Punisher
06-14-2015, 08:15 AM
where can I purchase three of these heart rings?

I'm not sure but you can always try that Asian guy that sells Mogwais in Gremlins.

http://derekwinnert.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/716.jpg

rugbythug
06-14-2015, 08:22 AM
http://aquadoc.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bf80a53ef01b7c77a65a3970b-pi

Fracking accounts for 0.00062% (or 0.0000062) of the state’s annual freshwater withdrawals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/04/13/what-environmentalists-get-wrong-when-they-use-the-california-drought-to-attack-fracking/

SoCalBronco
06-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Theres an article on MSN about some rich guy names Yumas who is talk radio host saying as long as you can pay for water the it should be provided..he wants his lawn watered and the golf courses as well..what a d1ckhead ..meanwhile people who cant afford the already sky rocketed bills thirst to death but hey Yumas has a green lawn..and green holes to put his putter on..
This is why I said help control the population ..enforce spay and neutering ..sorry Yumas.

It has nothing to do with the population. There is plenty of water to sustain all of that stuff. There is a ton of water wasted and tons used on agriculture.

The amount used on agriculture dwarfs the amount used for everyday things in homes and businesses.

Tombstone RJ
06-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Fracking accounts for 0.00062% (or 0.0000062) of the state’s annual freshwater withdrawals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/04/13/what-environmentalists-get-wrong-when-they-use-the-california-drought-to-attack-fracking/

Interesting...

baja
06-14-2015, 02:03 PM
It has nothing to do with the population. There is plenty of water to sustain all of that stuff. There is a ton of water wasted and tons used on agriculture.

The amount used on agriculture dwarfs the amount used for everyday things in homes and businesses.

Another really bad idea from SoCal

What happens if US loses California food production?

http://westernfarmpress.com/tree-nuts/what-happens-if-us-loses-california-food-production

SoCalBronco
06-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Another really bad idea from SoCal

What happens if US loses California food production?

http://westernfarmpress.com/tree-nuts/what-happens-if-us-loses-california-food-production

Who said we were going to lose food production?

I'm saying everyone has to share in the conservation. Household/Business use is just a small share of water use. If we have to conserve, all the other sectors do as well.

Actually the drought will likely be significantly reduced a year from now, anyway.

Tombstone RJ
06-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Or, build a few dams?

baja
06-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Who said we were going to lose food production?

I'm saying everyone has to share in the conservation. Household/Business use is just a small share of water use. If we have to conserve, all the other sectors do as well.

Actually the drought will likely be significantly reduced a year from now, anyway.

Ya go ahead and bet on that. Not much down side right?

SoCalBronco
06-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Ya go ahead and bet on that. Not much down side right?

Looks like a very good chance of a strong El Niño this fall. I'm encouraged by the data.

Arkie
06-14-2015, 06:01 PM

But...but a NASA scientist in the OP said Cali will be out of water in one year! They only have 8 months left!

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/0/3/2/8/1/3/5/climate-change-161351705295.jpeg

Drunken.Broncoholic2
06-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Lmao at accusing Fracking of being a major cause of water waste.

Liberals environmentalists and Jerry Brown cause far greater damage. How about build a ****ing dam? Nope! Gotta save the fish! California gets rain and almost all of it goes straight into the ocean due to political Sacramento idiots who fail at capturing this water.

Jerry Brown had plenty of chances during his 1st go around and failed. But he's announced he's stopped drinking water! Yet continues to drink his wine that's made in California from water.....this is the stupid we are dealing with out here.

Archer81
06-14-2015, 07:48 PM

He was from South America.

ZONA
06-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Lmao at accusing Fracking of being a major cause of water waste.

Liberals environmentalists and Jerry Brown cause far greater damage. How about build a ****ing dam? Nope! Gotta save the fish! California gets rain and almost all of it goes straight into the ocean due to political Sacramento idiots who fail at capturing this water.

Jerry Brown had plenty of chances during his 1st go around and failed. But he's announced he's stopped drinking water! Yet continues to drink his wine that's made in California from water.....this is the stupid we are dealing with out here.

Building a damn is no small matter and their impact on the ecosystem. It's really easy to just say build a damn. It's nowhere near that easy. It has to be some place that makes sense and has little impact on the area around it.

What's so terrible about finding other ways to get oil and gas? Fracking is not the best option.

Punisher
06-15-2015, 02:04 AM
He was from South America.

**** you and the facts that little bastard is a middle eastern you and that show can't fool me.

Archer81
06-15-2015, 06:01 AM
**** you and the facts that little bastard is a middle eastern you and that show can't fool me.

The monkey is South American too.

barryr
06-15-2015, 07:12 AM
The real reasons for CA water problems, but the ignorant ideologues will dismiss it and continue to ruin the state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuE5sPXZpUs

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2015, 07:13 AM
Meanwhile as NYC frantically constructs dykes

To be fair, it was gay pride weekend and all.

baja
06-15-2015, 07:25 AM
To be fair, it was gay pride weekend and all.

LOL Good one! ;D

BroncoBeavis
06-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Building a damn is no small matter and their impact on the ecosystem. It's really easy to just say build a damn. It's nowhere near that easy. It has to be some place that makes sense and has little impact on the area around it.

Sorry, but you can't host 40 million people in a state mostly covered by desert and then start fretting about environmental impact.

I really hope California figures this out before it's too late.

baja
06-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Sorry, but you can't host 40 million people in a state mostly covered by desert and then start fretting about environmental impact.

I really hope California figures this out before it's too late.

It's already too late to maintain the current life style.

GreatBronco16
06-15-2015, 09:41 AM
I know, raise minimum wage in Cali.??? Here's my contribution to the wasted water out there.:spit:

retro
06-15-2015, 12:53 PM
We just have to wait for El Nino, it didn't get strong enough this last winter when it started to form, but it's lingering and building up. Watch it will be just like last El Nino when all the major reservoirs had to open up the dams and let water run out.

We have got to build more reservoirs so that when the water comes we save it. It's that simple. Maybe build some desalination. Instead though CA big major project is a high speed train.

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2015, 01:24 PM

What's so terrible about finding other ways to get oil and gas? Fracking is not the best option.

Building a one or two dams to help retain water is not that hard.

socalorado
06-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Building a one or two dams to help retain water is not that hard.

Have you ever heard the Gov. of Calexico speak? Hilarious!
There will be no damns here. Forward!

bronco militia
06-15-2015, 02:41 PM
they need to build a dam at the border...white people errrrrr tax paying citizens be fleeing Cali like rats on a sinking ship.

baja
06-15-2015, 03:07 PM
And dams are energy efficient..:thumbs: Kills 2 birds with one stone.

Are either of those to birds on the endangered species list, if so California will never go for it.

retro
09-15-2015, 06:37 PM
We just have to wait for El Nino, it didn't get strong enough this last winter when it started to form, but it's lingering and building up. Watch it will be just like last El Nino when all the major reservoirs had to open up the dams and let water run out.

We have got to build more reservoirs so that when the water comes we save it. It's that simple. Maybe build some desalination. Instead though CA big major project is a high speed train.

Just like I said this El Nino is growing. This winter is going to be quite possibly the most snow California has got in the last 100 yrs.

The pacific is so warm its going to spawn a lot of storms like the one we got yesterday in So Calif. When El Nino hit the winter look out.

My prediction is the big reservoirs they show empty right now, will all open the spillways when they have to admit they can only go to 85% of capacity.

Turns out most of the dams its too dangerous to run them all the way to the top.

Rohirrim
09-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm amazed to hear other Americans making fun of this issue. Of course, a big part of the problem is the corporatization of agriculture...

The California Central Valley, which stretches 450 miles between the Sierra Nevadas and the California Coast Range, might be the single most productive tract of land in the world. From its soil springs 230 varieties of crops so diverse that their places of botanical origin range from Southeast Asia to Mexico. It produces two thirds of the nation’s produce, and, like Atlas with an almond on his back, 80 percent of the world’s almonds. If you’ve eaten anything made with canned tomatoes, there’s a 94 percent chance that they were planted and picked in the Central Valley.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/05/05/3646965/california-drought-and-agriculture-explainer/

It is going to have a MAJOR impact on food availability and prices in the rest of the U.S.

Kaylore
09-15-2015, 08:54 PM
The most liberal state in all of the union is in a debt crisis and the leftists are aleging that it's capitalism's fault.:rofl:

Don't worry, Rohirrim. They add some more super left wing ideas that will continue to make the state worse than it is and you'll continue to drink the Kool Aid.

broncocalijohn
09-15-2015, 09:15 PM
I'm amazed to hear other Americans making fun of this issue. Of course, a big part of the problem is the corporatization of agriculture...

The California Central Valley, which stretches 450 miles between the Sierra Nevadas and the California Coast Range, might be the single most productive tract of land in the world. From its soil springs 230 varieties of crops so diverse that their places of botanical origin range from Southeast Asia to Mexico. It produces two thirds of the nation’s produce, and, like Atlas with an almond on his back, 80 percent of the world’s almonds. If you’ve eaten anything made with canned tomatoes, there’s a 94 percent chance that they were planted and picked in the Central Valley.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/05/05/3646965/california-drought-and-agriculture-explainer/

It is going to have a MAJOR impact on food availability and prices in the rest of the U.S.

Liberals are saving the un-native Delta Smelt fish so thank God for that as prices go up from produce in that area. It is Sacramento. They are beyond regular Democrats but Democrats just keep voting them in just because they have a "D" by their name once they go into the voting booth.

Rohirrim
09-15-2015, 09:19 PM
The most liberal state in all of the union is in a debt crisis and the leftists are aleging that it's capitalism's fault.:rofl:

Don't worry, Rohirrim. They add some more super left wing ideas that will continue to make the state worse than it is and you'll continue to drink the Kool Aid.

Read the article. Fifty years ago, small farms all over the U.S. grew our tomatoes and lettuce locally. Most of that land is now controlled by mega corporations like Cargill and ConAgra who have those farms growing millions of hectares of soybeans and corn. Now, the overwhelming percentage of produce production is in one state under threat of massive drought. We've given up a huge amount of national diversity in the name of monetary efficiency policies. Very dangerous.

alkemical
09-15-2015, 09:23 PM
http://theantimedia.org/nestle-pays-only-524-to-exract-27000000-gallons-of-california-drinking-water/

Drunken.Broncoholic2
09-15-2015, 09:29 PM
dams? Nope. Desal plants? Nope.

So citizens cut back on water use, lowering their water bills. Water companies then lose out on revenue due to low water bills. Raise the rates on the very people who responsibly cut back on water use.

California has been dominated by liberal thinking for years and is a ****hole because of it.

Lmao at saving the delta smelt fish. They don't even know how many are in the delta fingers.

broncocalijohn
09-15-2015, 09:31 PM
http://theantimedia.org/nestle-pays-only-524-to-exract-27000000-gallons-of-california-drinking-water/

Assholes or a great stock opportunity. A few years ago, they were ranked one of the worst for bottled waters. Costco , I believe, was first!

Ragnar
09-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Oceans are just big cesspools.

Every drop of water we've ever drank has spent time in the ocean at some point. I'm pretty sure there are several ways to filter it out.

If California is really going to be out of water in a year, the country should start an initiative to build as many desalination plants as they can as quickly as they can to start using that big blue thing to the left of california on the map as a vital resource.

Hell, maybe Socialist Obama can use tax money to pay for Californians to have water and advance his horrible agenda...

Bronco X
09-15-2015, 09:42 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/real-villain-in-the-california-drought-isnt-almonds--its-red-meat-2015-4

SonOfLe-loLang
09-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't been in a debt crisis since 2012. We have a lot of debt, but we also have the 7th largest economy in the world so we can support it. The draught is a real problem and asking people to simply conserve won't make a dent in the issue

SonOfLe-loLang
09-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Every drop of water we've ever drank has spent time in the ocean at some point. I'm pretty sure there are several ways to filter it out.

If California is really going to be out of water in a year, the country should start an initiative to build as many desalination plants as they can as quickly as they can to start using that big blue thing to the left of california on the map as a vital resource.

Hell, maybe Socialist Obama can use tax money to pay for Californians to have water and advance his horrible agenda...

Desal is really expensive, but I did hear a report recently that the El Niño might not bring the kind of snow we need to help fortify the water supply. It wouldn't hurt, but a lot of the rain would be lost to runoff. I don't really know the details, just regurgitating a report I heard

24champ
09-15-2015, 10:11 PM

Problem with using a bunch of desal plants is that it will actually impact fisheries along the coast. EIS will really shut that down that plan.

The issue is keeping runoff by building dams and asking Agracorporations to cut back on water use. We also have too many people in California and an open border that is an absolute drain on the state.

retro
09-15-2015, 10:15 PM
We could build a pipeline from Alaska to northern CA but it would cost about 150 billion.

Still that seems like a better way to spend 100 billion then that silly high speed train we don't need.

CA and other western states would have no more water problems. Just think what a boost that would be to the economy.

footstepsfrom#27
09-16-2015, 06:05 AM
The scientist is FOS and is obviously looking to grab headlines from his editorial.
He doesn't really look like the headline grabbing type, and I don't think "editorial" is the word I'd use to describe this. Scientists are risk averse. They don't like to publish what they don't think they can back up, it's not like they're all on some Orange Mane for NASA geeks. This guys credentials are pretty damn impressive:

https://touch.www.linkedin.com/?sessionid=1488820418583282&as=false&rs=false&can=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elinkedin%2Ecom%2Fpub%2Fjay-famiglietti%2F10%2F680%2Fb79#profile-background-detail/37492365/PUBLIC:_Ckpc/experience2

Not to worry though. Trump, Huckabee and Carson will be along soon to tell us why it's just a plot to destroy the rich so rest easy.

footstepsfrom#27
09-16-2015, 06:15 AM

There is a major aquifer in the Central Valley that USGS experts estimate to hold 800 million acres of water. That's from centuries of runoff water from the sierras and rivers. It's massive and makes Lake Mead look like a pond.
It's drying up too.

https://touch.www.linkedin.com/?sessionid=1488820418583282&as=false&rs=false&can=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elinkedin%2Ecom%2Fpub%2Fjay-famiglietti%2F10%2F680%2Fb79#profile-background-detail/37492365/PUBLIC:_Ckpc/experience2

Ragnar
09-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Problem with using a bunch of desal plants is that it will actually impact fisheries along the coast. EIS will really shut that down that plan.

The issue is keeping runoff by building dams and asking Agracorporations to cut back on water use. We also have too many people in California and an open border that is an absolute drain on the state.

While I understand your argument from a business/economic standpoint. I really struggle to compare the value of human life to fishing. I'm assuming that if California runs out of water that people will die, which may, or may not be true... I'm not going to run some bleeding heart argument where I declare if one person dies due to dehydration all the fisheries in the world can get the dick. But I am going to say that eventually if there is loss of human life, and a degrade in quality of life in inpacted areas, it's not going to take too many human lives before fisheries can get the dick.

Kaylore
09-16-2015, 11:59 AM
So when this was published, there was one year left. He did use the qualifier "approximately" but being a NASA scientist, I think we can assume that's give or take a month. So we should be getting reports that in around 6 months, all of California will be 100% dry. I'm eagerly awaiting that very "believable" announcement.

maggnus
01-03-2016, 05:33 AM
former vice president Al Gore: Global Warming in 10 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxi-OlkmxZ4

http://i.imgur.com/n3zQ5KJ.jpg?1