PDA

View Full Version : US schools to have non-white majority

W*GS
08-26-2014, 07:03 PM
(Just to drive the nativists and bigots nuts.)

US schools to have non-white majority (http://www.bbc.com/news/education-28937660)

The figures show a steady decline in the numbers of white pupils since the mid-1990s and a broadly stable number of black pupils, but a sharply rising number of pupils identified as Hispanic.

The school figures show the number of Hispanic pupils has more than doubled over the past two decades and is projected to continue rising in the next decade.

It means that in autumn 2014 the proportion of white pupils is expected to have fallen marginally below 50% for the first time, with about 26% of pupils Hispanic and 15% black.

cutthemdown
08-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Great because blacks and mexicans are way better people then us evil whiteys. Once we aren't the majority the police won't kill anyone for no reason anymore.

W*GS
08-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Great because blacks and mexicans are way better people then us evil whiteys. Once we aren't the majority the police won't kill anyone for no reason anymore.

Thanks for the utterly moronic comment. You're quite good at providing them.

cutthemdown
08-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Moronic response for a moronic thread, sounds about right.

TailgateNut
08-26-2014, 08:27 PM
It must suck to be a one trick pony such as yourself. ....you blow on a horn and speak out of your ass......real talented.

Pony Boy
08-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Tulsa, Okla. —

Nearly 1/3 of all students in Tulsa Public Schools are Hispanic, and speak Spanish at home.

"Our Hispanic population, as of last year, is the largest racial and ethnic population across the district. So a lot of those families need that support in Spanish and we haven’t been able to find as much staff as we need. We’ve got a lot, but we need more," said Grisso.

When we visited the TPS Enrollment Center on Monday, FOX23 found many parents there did not speak English.

TPS posts signs in Spanish, and offers interpreters and translators.

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/schools-struggling-accomodate-hispanic-growth/ng7NB/

cutthemdown
08-26-2014, 10:36 PM
It must suck to be a one trick pony such as yourself. ....you blow on a horn and speak out of your ass......real talented.

Dude just like Ace Ventura pet detective.

cutthemdown
08-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Tulsa, Okla. —

Nearly 1/3 of all students in Tulsa Public Schools are Hispanic, and speak Spanish at home.

"Our Hispanic population, as of last year, is the largest racial and ethnic population across the district. So a lot of those families need that support in Spanish and we haven’t been able to find as much staff as we need. We’ve got a lot, but we need more," said Grisso.

When we visited the TPS Enrollment Center on Monday, FOX23 found many parents there did not speak English.

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/schools-struggling-accomodate-hispanic-growth/ng7NB/

Don't worry those kids will do a great job running the country.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Ha ha ha!

As if eight years with a black president wasn't bad enough for the racist sh*t stains who populate this board.

Ha!

cutthemdown
08-27-2014, 01:31 AM
He's half white LABF.

B-Large
08-27-2014, 05:53 AM
(Just to drive the nativists and bigots nuts.)

US schools to have non-white majority (http://www.bbc.com/news/education-28937660)

Has the graduation rate changed among those groups?

Johnykbr
08-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Tulsa, Okla. —

That's my only concern, I don't really care about the make up of the school but I don't want dual-language run public schools. We aren't Canada.

ludo21
08-27-2014, 10:50 AM
That's my only concern, I don't really care about the make up of the school but I don't want dual-language run public schools. We aren't Canada.

I dont mind so long as it doesnt hamper student learning.

I can see translation IN class a distraction though if it gets to that in some schools.

Rohirrim
08-27-2014, 11:48 AM
El español es una lengua hermosa. ¿Cuál es el problema?

Johnykbr
08-27-2014, 11:49 AM
I dont mind so long as it doesnt hamper student learning.

I can see translation IN class a distraction though if it gets to that in some schools.

I don't see how it's possible to not hamper student learning dual language classes. The first thing any immigrant needs to have a chance to succeed in the US is to learn English and this stops that dead in its tracks for non-English speakers. From what I'm told from my wife and other teacher friends, it is common to see the English speakers drop from these schools as well once it becomes apparent that they are going to be taught at a much slower rate.

Rohirrim
08-27-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't see how it's possible to not hamper student learning dual language classes. The first thing any immigrant needs to have a chance to succeed in the US is to learn English and this stops that dead in its tracks for non-English speakers. From what I'm told from my wife and other teacher friends, it is common to see the English speakers drop from these schools as well once it becomes apparent that they are going to be taught at a much slower rate.

Every time I hear this argument I am reminded of a train trip I took across Europe. As we were rolling through Switzerland, a young conductor in a very sharp uniform, certainly in his twenties, walked down the aisle and began greeting people on both sides in different languages. When he got to where we were sitting I asked him how many languages he spoke. He said (in perfect English) he was fluent in German, English, French, Italian and a little Dutch. So, what do the Europeans do so well that we can't seem to do at all? I'm guessing it starts with the inherent xenophobia in American culture.

cutthemdown
08-27-2014, 12:48 PM
LOL Rho what's your point that all these mexican kids should learn french, german, along with English? :)

Pony Boy
08-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Every time I hear this argument I am reminded of a train trip I took across Europe. As we were rolling through Switzerland, a young conductor in a very sharp uniform, certainly in his twenties, walked down the aisle and began greeting people on both sides in different languages. When he got to where we were sitting I asked him how many languages he spoke. He said (in perfect English) he was fluent in German, English, French, Italian and a little Dutch. So, what do the Europeans do so well that we can't seem to do at all? I'm guessing it starts with the inherent xenophobia in American culture.

So a young train conductor learned how to say "hello welcome aboard I hope you enjoy your trip" in 6 languages.

Trust me on this, if the young man was fluent in six languages he wouldn't be a train conductor.

orinjkrush
08-27-2014, 01:12 PM
well, i guess this is correlated with the upward trend in quality in life in America.

Johnykbr
08-27-2014, 01:23 PM

There is a giant difference between ESL and EFL. I don't believe it is appropriate for a school to force English speaking students to be bound by the same progress as those that should be considered for EFL.

I'm not sure where you somehow got the opinion that I am against language classes in school. If they can offer Chinese, Latin, French, Spanish, etc then more power to them.

ludo21
08-27-2014, 01:38 PM
There is a giant difference between ESL and EFL. I don't believe it is appropriate for a school to force English speakings to be bound by the same progress as those that should be considered for EFL.

I'm not sure where you somehow got the opinion that I am against language classes in school. If they can offer Chinese, Latin, French, Spanish, etc then more power to them.

Exactly.

Regards to my other post Johny I was referring to an ESL type class for Spanish speakers to be in and then an English language class in the same school.

I do not think a student should be hampered to learn in a class that is slower paced because of a translator in the class.

cutthemdown
08-27-2014, 03:49 PM
I think that until kids understand English that is all they should be taught. Once they know English then you start American school. If not go to school in Mexico.

Rohirrim
08-27-2014, 04:06 PM
So a young train conductor learned how to say "hello welcome aboard I hope you enjoy your trip" in 6 languages.

Trust me on this, if the young man was fluent in six languages he wouldn't be a train conductor.

Like I said, it's common in Europe. For some reason, here in the U.S., we're afraid of other languages. Sure, ESL classes are probably a smarter way to operate for pragmatic reasons, but hearing a little Spanish isn't going to damage American children. Ha!

Multilingualism is pretty common in Europe. In fact, it's encouraged. Here's a map with percentages of multilingual people:

http://www.languageonthemove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Multilingual-Europe-300x250.jpg
http://www.languageonthemove.com/language-learning-gender-identity/multilingual-europe

cutthemdown
08-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Like I said, it's common in Europe. For some reason, here in the U.S., we're afraid of other languages. Sure, ESL classes are probably a smarter way to operate for pragmatic reasons, but hearing a little Spanish isn't going to damage American children. Ha!

Multilingualism is pretty common in Europe. In fact, it's encouraged. Here's a map with percentages of multilingual people:

http://www.languageonthemove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Multilingual-Europe-300x250.jpg
http://www.languageonthemove.com/language-learning-gender-identity/multilingual-europe

I doubt most Euro countries deal with kids who can't speak the language. At least not in the high numbers like we have with spanish speaking mexican kids. America can't be compared to Europe IMO. Not too many Euro countries even let non skilled workers just flood into the country in the numbers we have.

I bet we have more illegal mexicans then some Euro countries have people.

cutthemdown
08-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Yep we have 12 million illegal mexicans by some estimates. Hell I bet Germany has about what 100 million people total? Sweden, not even 10 million. Of course they can send all the rich white Swedes to college lol.

Rohirrim
08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Europe has an enormous illegal immigrant problem. Mostly from North Africa.

Guess Who
08-27-2014, 07:24 PM
I agree no duel language so once there are more Mexiacan in public school then all the public schools should switch to Spanish language.

Guess Who
08-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Europe has an enormous illegal immigrant problem. Mostly from North Africa.

THe immigrnats of Europe are saving that continent. White people in Europ have had a zero population growth for quite a while now. They are not having kids and they are getting older. The immigrants are providing a huge workforce to support the aging white population.

Sure there are issues but they need those immigrants desperately.

cutthemdown
08-27-2014, 07:34 PM
LOL France has a program paying immigrants to go the **** home. Go home, build up your own countries.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-27-2014, 11:56 PM

Trust you on this?

L0L.

Odds are you've never held a passport in your life.

If you do travel extensively enough, you soon realize people in most countries you visit generally speak more of your language than you speak of theirs. Pretty soon you start to feel like you're the one who's the dumbass.

Guess Who
08-28-2014, 03:56 AM
Trust you on this?

L0L.

If you do travel extensively enough, you soon realize people in most countries you visit generally speak more of your language than you speak of theirs. Pretty soon you start to feel like you're the one who's the dumbass.

Maybe he should google how much train conductor's make.....lol

When I was in Amsterdam I was amazed that they had tv channels that spoke nothing but English. Yes, the whole world is Diverse in culture except for Red State USA.

TonyR
08-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Whilst on an immigration related topic...

The Dreamers Have Destroyed the Republican Immigration Strategy
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/08/dreamers-have-destroyed-gop-immigration-strategy.html

cutthemdown
08-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Trust you on this?

L0L.

So you think piling up our classrooms with non english speaking mexicans will lead to American kids speaking more languages?

nyuk nyuk
09-03-2014, 02:14 PM
THe immigrnats of Europe are saving that continent.

Clearly.

http://tomdiaz.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/london-bus-bomb.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Columnist/Columnists/2012/9/22/1348316464341/Muslim-protesters-007.jpg

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/xq53a6fa54.jpg