PDA

View Full Version : Guns don't kill people

Rigs11
08-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Stray bullet wounds man, kills woman across street in N. Georgia town

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Texas woman died late Saturday after she was struck by a stray gunshot in the town of Helen in North Georgia.

Police said the bullet came from a small-caliber handgun carried by a 53-year-old man from Jasper, Ga. The gun accidentally discharged, and the bullet traveled across Helen’s tourist-laden Main Street and struck the woman in the side.

Bystanders attempted to administer first aid, police said, but authorities pronounced the woman dead at the scene.

The shooting took place outside the Old Heidelberg restaurant and bar, one of many Bavarian-themed businesses in Helen, a town of about 500 residents in White County, 90 miles northeast of downtown Atlanta. The town’s main route, Ga. 75, is often crowded with visitors, many of them motorcyclists attracted by the area’s twisting mountainous roads.

Officers from the Helen Police Department responded to a call of shots fired at 10:41 p.m. Saturday. They first found the 53-year-old man, identified as Glenn Patrick Lampien, sitting on a bench, his hand bleeding. Officers then learned of a second victim, the Texas woman across the street, apparently struck by the same bullet.

Authorities did not release the woman’s name Sunday.

In a statement Sunday, the police said Lampien would be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

An employee who answered the telephone Sunday at the Old Heidelberg said the police had instructed the restaurant’s staff not to speak to reporters.

In a brief telephone interview, Lampien’s wife, Valerie, said her husband was recovering. She was not with him Saturday night in Helen.

“I don’t know what happened myself,” she said. “It’s an unfortunate situation.”

Lampien is the owner of Lampien Mechanical Services in Jasper, which installs and services commercial and industrial air conditioning systems. Public records indicate he was convicted of driving under the influence in 1999 and sentenced to probation.

The shooting occurred less than two months after a new law took effect in Georgia that greatly extended gun owners’ rights to carry weapons in public places. Bars are among the locations covered by House Bill 60.

In an online forum sponsored by GeorgiaPacking.org, a gun-rights advocacy group, one commenter said Sunday: “Of course, HB 60 will be blamed.”

A woman posting to the Helen Police Department’s Facebook page took a different view: “Guns everywhere! This is our brand new law in action.”

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/stray-bullet-wounds-man-kills-woman-across-street-/ng4YT/

Rohirrim
08-18-2014, 05:08 PM
You ain't seen nothin' yet.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Now, had she been armed, she would have at least had a chance to put him down first with an accidental discharge of her own.

See? The solution is to arm everybody. ;)

Pony Boy
08-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Guns don't kill people

Stray bullet wounds man, kills woman across street in N. Georgia town.

JFC ........ Don't you ever get tired of spinning your wheels on gun legislation it will never happen.

jhat01
08-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Guns don't accidentally discharge.

Elway 4 Life
08-19-2014, 05:17 AM

Beat me to it.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Semantics.

jhat01
08-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Semantics.

It's in important distinction. People who don't know any better could think that the scary gun fired for no reason. It's negligence, and rather than involuntary manslaughter he should be charged with negligent homicide. And to the OP, guns don't kill people. Negligent, stupid motherfuvkers kill people.

GreatBronco16
08-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Oh no, according to the anti gun folks, guns do whatever they want. Like load themself, take off the safety then squeeze the trigger to empty a million rounds...... all without a human anywhere near it.

That poor gun is just misunderstood, and was probably being abused anyway.

broncocalijohn
08-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Oh no, according to the anti gun folks, guns do whatever they want. Like load themself, take off the safety then squeeze the trigger to empty a million rounds...... all without a human anywhere near it.

Gun probably was raised in a single holster too. If it had been secured with a double holster from the owner, a good chance it would not have disobeyed the law.

GreatBronco16
08-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Gun probably was raised in a single holster too. If it had been secured with a double holster from the owner, a good chance it would not have disobeyed the law.

That's a good point.

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 02:39 PM
An interesting note:

Yet this is all based on a widely shared misunderstanding of the Wild West. Frontier towns -- places like Tombstone, Deadwood, and Dodge -- actually had the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation.

In fact, many of those same cities have far less burdensome gun control today then they did back in the 1800s.

Guns were obviously widespread on the frontier. Out in the untamed wilderness, you needed a gun to be safe from bandits, natives, and wildlife. In the cities and towns of the West, however, the law often prohibited people from toting their guns around. A visitor arriving in Wichita, Kansas in 1873, the heart of the Wild West era, would have seen signs declaring, "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters, and Get a Check."

A check? That's right. When you entered a frontier town, you were legally required to leave your guns at the stables on the outskirts of town or drop them off with the sheriff, who would give you a token in exchange. You checked your guns then like you'd check your overcoat today at a Boston restaurant in winter. Visitors were welcome, but their guns were not.

In my new book, Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America, there's a photograph taken in Dodge City in 1879. Everything looks exactly as you'd imagine: wide, dusty road; clapboard and brick buildings; horse ties in front of the saloon. Yet right in the middle of the street is something you'd never expect. There's a huge wooden billboard announcing, "The Carrying of Firearms Strictly Prohibited."

While people were allowed to have guns at home for self-protection, frontier towns usually barred anyone but law enforcement from carrying guns in public.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-winkler/did-the-wild-west-have-mo_b_956035.html

broncocalijohn
08-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Very true Roh but show stats on deaths in those towns (if there are any stats for it). Same problem there as is now would be a guy that wants to kill or not turn it in will still have a revolver somewhere on his body.

Old West also had many blacks as they made up about 25% of cowboys. You rarely see them in movies. Not sure if they were segregated at saloons and such but things people don't always know as it wasn't shown in pictures or movies.

nyuk nyuk
08-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Stray bullet wounds man, kills woman across street in N. Georgia town

So which do you think causes more random death?

Drunken driving or stray bullets?

Are you calling for the same laws on booze you want for guns or are you joining the 99.999999% of gun control fanatics who recoil in horror when you suggest their access to boozy woozy should be curtailed?

nyuk nyuk
08-19-2014, 03:13 PM
The shooting occurred less than two months after a new law took effect in Georgia that greatly extended gun owners’ rights to carry weapons in public places. Bars are among the locations covered by House Bill 60.

And?

I'm about to head to the Auraria Campus packing my 9mm. Legal conceal carry on college campuses has been around for years here in Colorado with zero problems.

If the rare exception overrides the right of the many, then apply that crazy standard everywhere, instead of selectively at things you personally hate.

nyuk nyuk
08-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Old West also had many blacks as they made up about 25% of cowboys. You rarely see them in movies. Not sure if they were segregated at saloons and such but things people don't always know as it wasn't shown in pictures or movies.

By the demographics of the Mountain West and other areas that didn't encounter large migrations in the 20th century from the East, I think that number is grossly exaggerated.

We should be seeing the grandchildren of black cowboys all over Colorado, and they simply aren't there.

BroncsRule
08-19-2014, 03:46 PM
By the demographics of the Mountain West and other areas that didn't encounter large migrations in the 20th century from the East, I think that number is grossly exaggerated.

We should be seeing the grandchildren of black cowboys all over Colorado, and they simply aren't there.

Cowboys were transient. You couldn't find many grandchildren of white cowboys either, at least not as a statistically significant portion of the modern population of the west.

nyuk nyuk
08-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Cowboys were transient. You couldn't find many grandchildren of white cowboys either, at least not as a statistically significant portion of the modern population of the west.

Where is the large black population in the West outside popular 20th century destinations of eastern migration?

We have plenty of whites here but not blacks. So where are they if that many were here?

broncocalijohn
08-19-2014, 04:01 PM

I see your point but these could have been former Buffalo Soldiers that stayed in the West. I have heard 25% but never bothered to look up a stat. You would have thought that those former slaves in Texas sure knew how to handle a horse and once freed, stayed in Texas or the West and did what came natural to them.

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 05:14 PM

Maybe you should visit this place?
http://www.blackamericanwestmuseum.org/

I recommend it. Cool museum. They'll answer all your questions.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-19-2014, 06:44 PM

Just the sort of straw man argument we've come to expect from Rush's Kids.

If you favor any sort of regulation of firearms, then you must be "anti-gun."

Yawn.

W*GS
08-19-2014, 06:48 PM
http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9781618081018_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

The reviews at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Parents-Open-Carry-Brian-Jeffs/dp/1618081012) are comedy gold.

GreatBronco16
08-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Just the sort of straw man argument we've come to expect from Rush's Kids.

If you favor any sort of regulation of firearms, then you must be "anti-gun."

Yawn.

We already have laws in place for regulation, all except registering 'most' firearms.

And lol @ Rush's Kids. If you don't favor more regulation of firearms, then you must be, "Rush's Kids."

You make this too easy.

Rigs11
08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
You righties crack me up. You think that people should be allowed to carry guns to a bar?where there is booze being served?

Rigs11
08-19-2014, 10:08 PM
So which do you think causes more random death?

Drunken driving or stray bullets?

Are you calling for the same laws on booze you want for guns or are you joining the 99.999999% of gun control fanatics who recoil in horror when you suggest their access to boozy woozy should be curtailed?

There are already laws against drinking and driving genius.

broncocalijohn
08-19-2014, 10:14 PM
You righties crack me up. You think that people should be allowed to carry guns to a bar?where there is booze being served?

I actually dont. That is asking for trouble. I do think security guards at bars should be able to do so. I also think no need at sporting events too which includes high school games.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-19-2014, 11:13 PM
We already have laws in place for regulation, all except registering 'most' firearms.

And lol @ Rush's Kids. If you don't favor more regulation of firearms, then you must be, "Rush's Kids."

You make this too easy.

Not enough laws in place, and the few that weren't completely gutted on Smirk & Dick's watch are clearly not working.

And it's not just your takes on gun control that distinguish you as one of Rush's Kids.

Pick any thread and any topic. :welcome:

cutthemdown
08-19-2014, 11:16 PM
I actually dont. That is asking for trouble. I do think security guards at bars should be able to do so. I also think no need at sporting events too which includes high school games.

I agree places like bars it's pretty silly to let citizens carry. But in our cars we should always be able to and in CA you can't.

nyuk nyuk
08-19-2014, 11:30 PM
There are already laws against drinking and driving genius.

The common retort for people in fear of having their access to booze restricted. We already have laws on guns and against murder, and your booze loving non sequitur response is a pretend argument as if we don't have laws on guns.

Care to have another hack at it or just bow out?

GreatBronco16
08-20-2014, 04:46 AM
Not enough laws in place, and the few that weren't completely gutted on Smirk & Dick's watch are clearly not working.

And it's not just your takes on gun control that distinguish you as one of Rush's Kids.

Pick any thread and any topic. :welcome:

Ok, pick a thread then and show me.

Rigs11
08-20-2014, 09:05 AM
The common retort for people in fear of having their access to booze restricted. We already have laws on guns and against murder, and your booze loving non sequitur response is a pretend argument as if we don't have laws on guns.

Care to have another hack at it or just bow out?

Wow. I'll break it down for you. You can't drink and drive,and you shouldn't be allowed to drink and carry a gun. Understand now?

Rohirrim
08-20-2014, 09:17 AM

http://img.pandawhale.com/54037-Thats-brilliant-gif-cxnC.gif

BroncoBeavis
08-20-2014, 09:21 AM
I agree places like bars it's pretty silly to let citizens carry. But in our cars we should always be able to and in CA you can't.

They should outlaw any booze in cars. If you want booze, walk for it. Then we'd have a corollary to argue over. :)

As for bars, it should be up to the bar owner, as with any other private establishment.

Rohirrim
08-20-2014, 09:30 AM
They should allow open carry at sporting events.

BroncoBeavis
08-20-2014, 09:46 AM

And alcohol? :)

broncocalijohn
08-20-2014, 10:32 AM

Not a good idea. With the influx of Mexicans moving to areas like Georgia and a possible Mexico National soccer team playing in the dome, you would have 20 deaths per goal. Game on New Year's Eve at midnight? Oh, big time trouble.

barryr
08-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Laws not being followed means create more laws to not be followed? How intelligent.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Laws not being followed means create more laws to not be followed? How intelligent.

Facts don't mean squat to you, I realize, but the gun legislation passed under Clinton (and subsequently gutted by your party after Dim Son was appointed) was actually making a measurable difference in reducing gun-related crimes.

Interesting tidbit: the guy who conceived the Brady Bill was a cop.

How do you square that fact with your unconditional support for the cowboys in Fergeson?

Meck77
08-21-2014, 01:38 PM

We do it everyday in my town. It's great. Even guys riding to the bar on horses.

City guys like you have no idea what you are missing. The government has you brainwashed to fight for their interests while you live in your little cubicle sucking down crappy water and eating food from walmart.

When I say you I don't mean you specifically but the government loves the urban dweller who loves to talk about diminishing their own rights. Power to you dude.

nyuk nyuk
08-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Wow. I'll break it down for you. You can't drink and drive,and you shouldn't be allowed to drink and carry a gun. Understand now?

What makes you think people are allowed to now?

http://i62.tinypic.com/295z38w.jpg

If you abuse alcohol you don't even qualify for a conceal carry permit in Colorado. It is also ALREADY illegal to possess a firearm while under the influence.

Colorado Revised Statutes:

18-12-106 Prohibited Use Of Weapons

He has in his possession a firearm while he is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303(7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1 is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).

Federal law dictates that (https://www.atf.gov/files/press/releases/2011/09/092611-atf-open-letter-to-all-ffls-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes.pdf) people who use OR are addicted to controlled substances including marijuana are forbidden from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition.

THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OWN GUNS.

barryr
08-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Yes I'm sure criminals would start following laws if we would only start creating more. More like for them to ignore is more like it. Idiots.

W*GS
08-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Yes I'm sure criminals would start following laws if we would only start creating more. More like for them to ignore is more like it. Idiots.

All laws are broken, therefore, we shouldn't have any laws.

Feel free to go **** that sheep you've had your eye on.

nyuk nyuk
08-24-2014, 07:58 PM

Instead of making laws on criminals, they're making them on law-abiding gun owners.

Rohirrim
08-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Instead of making laws on criminals, they're making them on law-abiding gun owners.

Using that logic, you shouldn't make laws against burglary either. Why? Because burglars will ignore them. Ha!

cutthemdown
08-25-2014, 03:48 AM
Using that logic, you shouldn't make laws against burglary either. Why? Because burglars will ignore them. Ha!

No because there is no lawful burglary. There is lawful gun ownership.

TonyR
08-29-2014, 06:47 PM
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cfMzK7QwfrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-29-2014, 10:55 PM

That's really right-wing ideology in a nutshell, isn't it?

If man-made institutions like the law, government, etc., are imperfect, then we might as well dispense with those institutions altogether.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-29-2014, 10:57 PM
>Video<

It should be interesting to see how Rush's Kids spin this one.

jhat01
08-29-2014, 11:57 PM
It should be interesting to see how Rush's Kids spin this one.

What is there to spin? Dumb parents, dumb instructor, bullets to the face. What's the revelation here?

cutthemdown
08-30-2014, 12:10 AM
All the guys I shoot with are democrats except for a couple of us. They are big into guns and shooting. I don't think owning guns is a slam dunk repub vs dem issue. That's why the super liberals like LABF never win on that issue. Too many democrats won't go along with more gun control.

Pointing to accidents with guns just doesn't matter. There are lot's of activities Americans do that have accidents where people hurt themselves or other people.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-30-2014, 12:34 AM
What's the revelation here?

Um, that any scenario where a nine year-old girl can get her hands on an Uzi is a bad one?

jhat01
08-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Um, that any scenario where a nine year-old girl can get her hands on an Uzi is a bad one?

That's obvious. There's no reason for a noodle armed child to be given an automatic weapon and a full magazine. That's not ground breaking or cutting edge thought, so what gives with the trolling of the "pro gun" folks?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-30-2014, 09:56 AM
That's obvious. There's no reason for a noodle armed child to be given an automatic weapon and a full magazine. That's not ground breaking or cutting edge thought, so what gives with the trolling of the "pro gun" folks?

If it were "obvious," then we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

jhat01
08-30-2014, 10:17 AM
If it were "obvious," then we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

I haven't heard anyone argue for gun rights of 9 year old children, maybe Rush has since you mentioned him but I don't listen to him so I don't know. What I'm getting at is what does this have to do with the overall gun debate? Did you post the video to highlight the stupidity of the child's parents, or the lack of proper instruction? Or are you blaming the Uzi for killing the guy?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-30-2014, 10:21 AM
I haven't heard anyone argue for gun rights of 9 year old children, maybe Rush has since you mentioned him but I don't listen to him so I don't know. What I'm getting at is what does this have to do with the overall gun debate? Did you post the video to highlight the stupidity of the child's parents, or the lack of proper instruction? Or are you blaming the Uzi for killing the guy?

Obviously someone made a compelling case for the gun rights of nine year-old kids, otherwise, once again, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Now who do you suppose made that case?

Arkie
08-30-2014, 11:29 AM
What is there to spin? Dumb parents, dumb instructor, bullets to the face. What's the revelation here?

The Bullets and Burgers range is responsible. They should at least have a sign out front that states "You must be this tall before firing this fully automatic weapon."

I heard Bullets and Burgers has a shooting instructor position open!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6-g4ZnP7Afs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jhat01
08-30-2014, 11:33 AM
The Bullets and Burgers range is responsible. They should at least have a sign out front that states "You must be this tall before firing this fully automatic weapon."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6-g4ZnP7Afs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would argue that the parents are responsible but who knows. I would no sooner shoot at a range called burgers and bullets then eat a piece of chicken at a place called chicken and colonoscopies.

Fedaykin
08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Perfect example of the difference between and enthusiast and a gun nut.

Only a gun nut would think it was even remotely a good idea to put an uzi in the hands of a child. Completely guano loco.

I'm just glad it was the ****ing idiot doing that who got killed instead of the little girl. Maybe the range will get a reality check and not put extremely dangerous weapons in the hands of little kids. You know, like sane people.

cutthemdown
08-30-2014, 07:40 PM
An age limit on handling and shooting automatic weapons doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

nyuk nyuk
09-03-2014, 11:57 AM

The kid didn't know what she was doing and didn't understand that you have to tense your muscles to control the gun, especially with repeat fire like that. At any rate, it's nothing more than an accident and not some justification for gun laws.

Rohirrim
09-03-2014, 12:42 PM
I would argue that the parents are responsible but who knows. I would no sooner shoot at a range called burgers and bullets then eat a piece of chicken at a place called chicken and colonoscopies.

LOL That was good.

Rohirrim
09-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Perfect example of the difference between and enthusiast and a gun nut.

Only a gun nut would think it was even remotely a good idea to put an uzi in the hands of a child. Completely guano loco.

I'm just glad it was the ****ing idiot doing that who got killed instead of the little girl. Maybe the range will get a reality check and not put extremely dangerous weapons in the hands of little kids. You know, like sane people.

"Here, kid. This is a fifty cal. Just press this little butterfly back here and take the ride of your life!"

Common sense: The most uncommon thing in the world.

nyuk nyuk
09-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Why is it problematic that a gun range also have a restaurant in house? Is it also intimidating that they sell Harley and Monster Truck rides?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
09-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Please tell me this is just satire and that this place doesn't really exist...?

:crazy:

nyuk nyuk
09-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Please tell me this is just satire and that this place doesn't really exist...?

:crazy:

What's wrong with it?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
09-03-2014, 01:10 PM
What's wrong with it?

Not much.

It's just emblematic of everything that's wrong with America these days, that's all.

nyuk nyuk
09-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Not much.

It's just emblematic of everything that's wrong with America these days, that's all.

That a place that sells firing range tours also has a place to eat as well as Harley rides and Monster Truck rides?

That's a bit paranoid, don't you think?

It's called tourism.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
09-03-2014, 01:49 PM
That a place that sells firing range tours also has a place to eat as well as Harley rides and Monster Truck rides?

That's a bit paranoid, don't you think?

It's called tourism.

Yeah buddy!

Ah'm a gonna cancel that trip to Paris and head on down to Bullets and Burgers for some good, clean all-'Merican fun!

Yee haw!

nyuk nyuk
09-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah buddy!

Ah'm a gonna cancel that trip to Paris and head on down to Bullets and Burgers for some good, clean all-'Merican fun!

Yee haw!

It beats hanging around a bunch of Islamist rioters in Paris.