PDA

View Full Version : Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for veto threat

DenverBrit
08-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Ouch!

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) A grand jury indicted Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Friday for abusing the powers of his office by carrying out a threat to veto funding for state prosecutors investigating public corruption making the possible 2016 presidential hopeful his state's first indicted governor in nearly a century.

A special prosecutor spent months calling witnesses and presenting evidence that Perry broke the law when he promised publicly to nix $7.5 million over two years for the public integrity unit, which is run by Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg's office. Several top aides to the Republican governor appeared before grand jurors in Austin, including his deputy chief of staff, legislative director and general counsel. Perry himself wasn't called to testify.

He was indicted by an Austin grand jury on felony counts of abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant. Maximum punishment on the first charge is five to 99 years in prison. The second is two to 10 years.

Perry said Lehmberg, who is based in Austin, should resign after she was arrested and plead guilty to drunken driving in April 2013. A video recording made at the jail showed Lehmberg shouting at staffers to call the sheriff, kicking the door of her cell and sticking her tongue out.

http://news.msn.com/us/texas-perry-indicted-for-coercion-for-veto-threat

Rohirrim
08-15-2014, 05:08 PM
!Booya!

W*GS
08-15-2014, 05:16 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/rick-perry-gop-debate-video-oops1.jpg

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Couldn't happen to a more deserving sociopathic slimebag. :thumbsup:

Bronco Yoda
08-15-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't believe it. Perry was baptized in the same waters as Sam Houston, the first elected president of the Republic of Texas. So there!

peacepipe
08-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Silence is golden.

TailgateNut
08-15-2014, 06:48 PM
They have to wait for the next talking point from FOX.

W*GS
08-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Indeed. Without their programming, conservatives these days are incapable of independent thought.

Today's right wingers are very Borg-like.

http://www.bigdamngeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/borg.jpg

Guess Who
08-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Really this is irrelevant. Perry is no longer governor after this year and he is an also ran in 2016. Hopefully it sends a message to other corrupt politicians. He could get jail time.

Rigs11
08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks Obama!;D

TailgateNut
08-15-2014, 07:51 PM
I guess the village in Texas has more than one idiot.

Guess Who
08-15-2014, 08:19 PM
I guess the village in Texas has more than one idiot.

several million more.....

ant1999e
08-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Funny. If this were a Democrat you all would be calling it a political witchhunt.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 08:38 PM
^

And......the FOX talking points are in.

peacepipe
08-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Funny. If this were a Democrat you all would be calling it a political witchhunt.

Not with a grand jury indictment.

DenverBrit
08-15-2014, 08:45 PM

He's a self righteous priick who's arrogance caught up with him.

BroncoLifer
08-15-2014, 11:09 PM
He's a self righteous priick who's arrogance caught up with him.

If that was a crime most politicians would be in prison.

I don't follow Texas politics but on the surface this seems like the most politically-motivated prosecution I can recall. What's next, prosecuting legislators because they voted the wrong way?

TailgateNut
08-15-2014, 11:32 PM

I don't follow Texas politics but on the surface this seems like the most politically-motivated prosecution I can recall. What's next, prosecuting legislators because they voted the wrong way?

Just think---Dumbya with a bit more IQ but the same amount of arrogance

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 11:52 PM

Perry used the power of his office to squelch investigations of public corruption.

It's hard to fathom how even the most brainless Fox News sheep could construe the resulting indictment as "politically motivated."

BroncoLifer
08-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Perry used the power of his office to squelch investigations of public corruption.

It's hard to fathom how even the most brainless Fox News sheep could construe the resulting indictment as "politically motivated."

What a load of crap. By your logic, you agree that both Obama and Holder belong in prison because they won't appoint a special prosecutor for the IRS scandal or Benghazi.

Here in Colorado, Hickenlooper vetoed a bill that supposedly would reduce corruption by increasing transparency in government. Quick, put him on trial!

Veto power is plenary - try looking that word up. A governor (or President, on the Federal level) can veto or threaten to veto any bill for any reason - hence the term "power". If you don't like his actions, impeachment or voting him out are the remedies.

It's hard to fathom how even the most brainless partisan hack can't see the political motivation behind prosecuting a governor over the exercise of his veto power.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-16-2014, 01:26 AM
^

Right on cue with the usual "look over there" deflection (read: Benghazi.)

The last refuge for the Fox News sheep.

And, BTW, only a brainless, partisan hack could defend a scumbag like Rick Perry.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Veto power is plenary - try looking that word up. A governor (or President, on the Federal level) can veto or threaten to veto any bill for any reason - hence the term "power".

Maybe you should buy a dictionary and look up "abuse of power."

That's why your boy is being indicted.

cutthemdown
08-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Not with a grand jury indictment.

See how a special investigator gets to the bottom of it?

Guess Who
08-16-2014, 03:05 AM

How do you think?

Perry using his office told the Travis County DA that if she wouldn't do what he wanted he would eliminate her oversight authority of Texas politicians by defunding it.

That is a misuse of power and it is against the law. That is called extortion in the real world and it is against the law there too.

Rohirrim
08-16-2014, 05:24 AM
What a load of crap. By your logic, you agree that both Obama and Holder belong in prison because they won't appoint a special prosecutor for the IRS scandal or Benghazi.

Here in Colorado, Hickenlooper vetoed a bill that supposedly would reduce corruption by increasing transparency in government. Quick, put him on trial!

Veto power is plenary - try looking that word up. A governor (or President, on the Federal level) can veto or threaten to veto any bill for any reason - hence the term "power". If you don't like his actions, impeachment or voting him out are the remedies.

It's hard to fathom how even the most brainless partisan hack can't see the political motivation behind prosecuting a governor over the exercise of his veto power.

There have been four House panel investigations of Benghazi and a Senate Intelligence committee investigation. Boxes of testimony and evidence have been produced with nothing to show for it. A special prosecutor is neither necessary, nor would they have anything to do. The Right only wants one so they can keep bashing Obama over the head with Benghazi, not because they truly think it would lead to anything. In other words, just more partisan bull**** and a waste of time, energy and resources in the name of political hackery, which is what the Right excels at. I would like those on the Right to stop listening to Fox for one minute, clear their minds, and consider what their House full of Republicans has accomplished in the last few years regarding the real problems this country is facing. The answer would be: ZERO.

Immigration reform? Nope
Infrastructure? Nope
Outsourcing of jobs? Nope
Climate change? Nope
Tax reform? Nope
Derivatives regulation on Wall Street? Nope

Benghazi? Five investigations (and counting) and more photo ops and interviews than you can count.

Oh, and don't forget, 70 votes to overturn Obamacare.

Guess Who
08-16-2014, 06:01 AM
There have been four House panel investigations of Benghazi and a Senate Intelligence committee investigation. Boxes of testimony and evidence have been produced with nothing to show for it. A special prosecutor is neither necessary, nor would they have anything to do. The Right only wants one so they can keep bashing Obama over the head with Benghazi, not because they truly think it would lead to anything. In other words, just more partisan bull**** and a waste of time, energy and resources in the name of political hackery, which is what the Right excels at. I would like those on the Right to stop listening to Fox for one minute, clear their minds, and consider what their House full of Republicans has accomplished in the last few years regarding the real problems this country is facing. The answer would be: ZERO.

Immigration reform? Nope
Infrastructure? Nope
Outsourcing of jobs? Nope
Climate change? Nope
Tax reform? Nope
Derivatives regulation on Wall Street? Nope

Benghazi? Five investigations (and counting) and more photo ops and interviews than you can count.

Oh, and don't forget, 70 votes to overturn Obamacare.

Just a way to get at Hillary

W*GS
08-16-2014, 07:09 AM

My local newspaper's coverage of this story has now been bombarded by the resident right-wing astrotroll's conservative spin.

Funny how a story critical of a right-winger is left more or less untouched until the propaganda machine swings into action, then the deluge begins...

troya900
08-16-2014, 07:37 AM

You mean the same suit Odumbo is doing only on the level of the POTUS. Now queue the morons to tell us how odumbo is squeaky clean and has never abused his power.

TailgateNut
08-16-2014, 08:24 AM
You mean the same suit Odumbo is doing only on the level of the POTUS. Now queue the morons to tell us how odumbo is squeaky clean and has never abused his power.

Odumbo......how original.....now that you're IQ challenged ass got that out of your system explain WTF you're talking about (Oh, before you start your reply....I didn't cast my vote for Obama)...

peacepipe
08-16-2014, 08:24 AM
If Obama is abusing his power then congress should move forward with impeachment,just like Texas is moving along with dick Perry's indictment.

TailgateNut
08-16-2014, 08:37 AM
If anyone deserved to be impeached and locked up, that ****ing ignorant - arrogant ass from Texas and his Evil Twin top the list.

DenverBrit
08-16-2014, 09:32 AM

You must have missed the $40 million BJ. ;D

Perry's arrogance, in this instance, was publicly declaring a veto threat, then carrying it out. He should have kept his mouth shut and then de-funded the States' public integrity unit.
It's ironic that he chose the very unit that investigated Tom DeLay......or was it irony?

But obviously Perry felt invulnerable in Texas, even if he committed a felony or two.

BroncoLifer
08-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Perry's arrogance, in this instance, was publicly declaring a veto threat, then carrying it out. He should have kept his mouth shut and then de-funded the States' public integrity unit.

Again, so what? The Chief Executive of every state (and the POTUS) is constitutionally empowered to sign or veto any legislation at will. There are no limitations or qualifications to that. It's merely the exercise of the power of the office which they hold. He made the veto threat in public? So what? Every governor and every POTUS I can remember has done the same thing - it's called "politics."

Perry line-item vetoed an appropriation. Impeach him if you think you can but the notion that he is criminally liable for a constitutionally granted official act is extraordinary.

It's ironic that he chose the very unit that investigated Tom DeLay......or was it irony?

Of course it isn't. It's the ongoing Dem/Rep p*ssing contest. You screwed DeLay so I'll screw you back - no, I'm screwing you first! Etc, etc. As I wrote, all political.

peacepipe
08-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Again, so what? The Chief Executive of every state (and the POTUS) is constitutionally empowered to sign or veto any legislation at will. There are no limitations or qualifications to that. It's merely the exercise of the power of the office which they hold. He made the veto threat in public? So what? Every governor and every POTUS I can remember has done the same thing - it's called "politics."

Perry line-item vetoed an appropriation. Impeach him if you think you can but the notion that he is criminally liable for a constitutionally granted official act is extraordinary.

Of course it isn't. It's the ongoing Dem/Rep p*ssing contest. You screwed DeLay so I'll screw you back - no, I'm screwing you first! Etc, etc. As I wrote, all political.
Lol you're an idiot. He's facing time in prison,that's not political that's criminal.

His power to veto is not in question,how he's using it is.

DenverBrit
08-16-2014, 10:28 AM

So what?

He committed a felony and should be investigated.......which he was.

I have no problem with that, regardless the politics. I'm for holding all of these asshats feet to the fire.

BroncoLifer
08-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Lol you're an idiot. He's facing time in prison,that's not political that's criminal.

I never cared much for Huxley but you may convince me otherwise.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-16-2014, 11:49 AM

The distinction is obviously too subtle for the average Fox News sheep to grasp.

Ha!

SoCalBronco
08-16-2014, 01:14 PM
This seems to be an incredibly short sighted prosecution. Whether they get a conviction or not, the next Governor is likely to be GOP (Davis has no shot) and both houses of legislature are likely to remain in theirhands.

Does this office think they somehow aren't going to get blown to smithereens in retaliation (albeit with less outward arrogance next time)?

The one positive here is it cripples one of our worst and least pragmatic candidates.

cutthemdown
08-16-2014, 03:20 PM
If Obama is abusing his power then congress should move forward with impeachment,just like Texas is moving along with dick Perry's indictment.

Usually an impartial AG would say let's name a special investigator to be impartial and give credibility to the finding. Not having the presidents best friend say nothing to see here I checked it out.

peacepipe
08-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Usually an impartial AG would say let's name a special investigator to be impartial and give credibility to the finding. Not having the presidents best friend say nothing to see here I checked it out.

A special investigator is going to find the samething rethugs have in their million investigations...nothing.

cutthemdown
08-16-2014, 05:48 PM
A special investigator is going to find the samething rethugs have in their million investigations...nothing.

Sorry but unless it's an outside investigator it appears that holder is protecting him.

Rigs11
08-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Fear not righties,you have plenty of other awesome candidates to pick fromHa!

ant1999e
08-16-2014, 05:58 PM
David Axelrod ✔ @davidaxelrod
Unless he was demonstrably trying to scrap the ethics unit for other than his stated reason, Perry indictment seems pretty sketchy.

peacepipe
08-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Fear not righties,you have plenty of other awesome candidates to pick fromHa!

Who's left? Seems Rand Paul may have a clear path to the nom.

Guess Who
08-16-2014, 07:07 PM

How has Obama abused his power? Spewing the Faux News propaganda that he has too many Executive Orders???

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/blogs/fixgov/executive%20orders_chart.jpg

I bet you don't reply to this post!

Guess Who
08-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Romney will run again.

Luke Lucas
08-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Rick Perry is a stupid POS and needs to be fitted for a large and uncomfortable neck tie. With that said it will be funny to watch TX dems crawdad when they have to defend vodka Rose and her "do you know who I am " act when she was arrested making sweet love to a bottle of vodka in a church parking lot. There is just no way to defend a DA getting arrested and going to jail for DUI, refusing to resign and then when the governor of the state vetoes funding for this fellon DA's office she has another DA who reports to her indict the sitting governor.

Good luck selling that pile of crap.

cutthemdown
08-16-2014, 11:00 PM
This case has no legs and 0 chance of ending in a conviction. The Raiders have a better chance of winning the next 10 superbowls then Perry does of being convicted.

barryr
08-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Hilarious watching jackasses saying this isn't about politics. Oh no, Perry .... Um, this started because Perry wants a public official dismissed because she was caught driving drunk, was over 3 times the legal limit, and acting life to police. Not surprised though to see the usual stupid liberals ignore that. "Oh we want public officials to be held accountable" as liberals claim, yet not a peep about the DA that was drunk. But I know, in their usual warped world, "that's different."

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-17-2014, 07:22 AM
Hilarious watching jackasses saying this isn't about politics. Oh no, Perry .... Um, this started because Perry wants a public official dismissed because she was caught driving drunk, was over 3 times the legal limit, and acting life to police. Not surprised though to see the usual stupid liberals ignore that. "Oh we want public officials to be held accountable" as liberals claim, yet not a peep about the DA that was drunk. But I know, in their usual warped world, "that's different."

It never ceases to amaze me how an imbecile whose reading comprehension skills are as profoundly poor as yours can actually find employment as a teacher in a public school system.

Jeeezus, that's unbelievable!

At any rate, allow me to recap what just happened for you:

a) Perry abuses the power of his office in order to squelch investigations into public corruption (gee, I wonder what he's afraid of?)

b) This is a crime.

c) Perry is indicted.

Sorry - can't dumb it down much more than this for you.

:welcome:

Guess Who
08-17-2014, 07:27 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how an imbecile whose reading comprehension skills are as profoundly poor as yours can actually find employment as a teacher in a public school system.

a) Perry abuses the power of his office in order to squelch investigations into public corruption (gee, I wonder what he's afraid of?)

b) This is a crime.

c) Perry is indicted.

Wouldn't letting Perry do illegal things be politically motivated and actually following the law is well....... following the law???

Arkie
08-17-2014, 07:51 AM

Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, Scott Walker, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, Bob Mcdonnell, Michael Bloomberg, Susana Martinez, Mitt Romney, Condoleeza Rice, John Kasich, Rick Santorum, Rob Portman, John Bolton, Mike Pence, Nikki Haley, Michele Bachmann, Brian Sandoval, David Petraeus, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Jon Huntsman, Eric Cantor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Newt Gingrich, Ben Carson, Donald Trump, David Brat

TailgateNut
08-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, Scott Walker, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, Bob Mcdonnell, Michael Bloomberg, Susana Martinez, Mitt Romney, Condoleeza Rice, John Kasich, Rick Santorum, Rob Portman, John Bolton, Mike Pence, Nikki Haley, Michele Bachmann, Brian Sandoval, David Petraeus, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Jon Huntsman, Eric Cantor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Newt Gingrich, Ben Carson, Donald Trump, David Brat

WOW........Mitt, Michele, Sarah, Donald and Arnold would be awesome nominations:spit:

Guess Who
08-17-2014, 08:24 AM
WOW........Mitt, Michele, Sarah, Donald and Arnold would be awesome nominations:spit:

Don't forget Huey, Dewy and Lewy!

DenverBrit
08-17-2014, 09:24 AM

b) This is a crime.

c) Perry is indicted.

You made need crayolas to get through to Bawwy.

He's 'special.' :pity:

Rohirrim
08-17-2014, 09:28 AM

I imagine the GOP establishment will want Jeb Bush or a Mitt rewind. The Tea Party will probably go for Cruz. If it's Cruz or Rand Paul, Wall Street throws its money to Hillary. Another no-win situation for the American people. :pity:

TailgateNut
08-17-2014, 10:55 AM
I imagine the GOP establishment will want Jeb Bush or a Mitt rewind. The Tea Party will probably go for Cruz. If it's Cruz or Rand Paul, Wall Street throws its money to Hillary. Another no-win situation for the American people. :pity:

I'll waste my vote on third party again until it finaly dawns on the public that there are other options.......But until we have capaign finance reform/control our choices will always be limited

SoCalBronco
08-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Theres 4.5 good candidates on this list.....the rest is hot garbage.

cutthemdown
08-17-2014, 12:20 PM
How has Obama abused his power? Spewing the Faux News propaganda that he has too many Executive Orders???

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/blogs/fixgov/executive%20orders_chart.jpg

I bet you don't reply to this post!

I guess repubs could have used that same graph when liberals complained Bush used too many executive orders and signing statements.

cutthemdown
08-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Also most of that has more to do with how the President gets along with Congress. The longer the other side holds Congress the more orders you will see.

Rohirrim
08-17-2014, 12:50 PM
I guess repubs could have used that same graph when liberals complained Bush used too many executive orders and signing statements.

The difference being, when Bush wrote them, he gave it a new twist. He used them to explain what part of laws (if any) he was going to follow and which parts he was going to ignore.

cutthemdown
08-17-2014, 02:12 PM
The difference being, when Bush wrote them, he gave it a new twist. He used them to explain what part of laws (if any) he was going to follow and which parts he was going to ignore.

I agree with that Rho. Bush had a fairly bad relationship with Congress last 4 yrs and did put a new twist. A twist that Obama is taking even further. Sure the amount isn't that high but he is diving even further into areas usually reserved for Congress.

What we can expect is if the Republicans get the White House, it gets even worst. If the liberal who promised to change things won't do it then who will? If the progressive who said he would be transparent isn't who will?

I laughed at Obama saying let the press do their jobs in the MO shooting case. What a joke because the media sees him as an attacker of journalism and someone who made govt employees afraid of blowing the whistle.

peacepipe
08-17-2014, 02:24 PM
I wish Obama were a liberal but wouldn't have made a difference with an obstructionist rethuglican party.

Arkie
08-17-2014, 05:09 PM
I wish Obama were a liberal but wouldn't have made a difference with an obstructionist rethuglican party.

Good luck in finding a more liberal candidate than Senator Obama.

Guess Who
08-17-2014, 05:17 PM

Theres 4.5 good candidates on this list.....the rest is hot garbage.

Ugh.......Wow that is horrible. Kasich gets love but he is ruining Ohio.

Huntsman by far the best

runners up: Petraeus, Arnold, Portman and Bloomberg. Not necessarily in that order.

I looked into Martinez but she has a lot of baggage and seems somewhat of an empty dress.

El Guapo
08-17-2014, 05:18 PM
rethuglican.

I have to laugh whenever I see either side attack the other by changing a word like this. How juvenile.

Guess Who
08-17-2014, 05:19 PM

Really??? Obama is just left of Governor Romney... Just a little. Now GOP candidate Romney was way to the right but Obama has about the same stances as Governor Romney.

SoCalBronco
08-17-2014, 05:37 PM

Ugh.......Wow that is horrible. Kasich gets love but he is ruining Ohio.

Huntsman by far the best

runners up: Petraeus, Arnold, Portman and Bloomberg. Not necessarily in that order.

I looked into Martinez but she has a lot of baggage and seems somewhat of an empty dress.

I agree that Huntsman is by far the best candidate. That's who I voted for in 2012 (write in). I would also vote for Jeb. Mitch Daniels is not on this list because he has some personal baggage but I would vote for him as well. I'm good with Portman. I'm good with Ryan on SS and Medicare, but not on taxes or many other issues, so I'm split there. I like Kasich is general, especially when he was in the House as budget chairman.

The rest of this list is god awful.

Jon Huntsman is an incredible candidate and quite likely the only one who could win in the general with such a changing electorate.

Rohirrim
08-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Huntsman is the best candidate, which is why the GOP will find itself incapable of selecting him. ;D

cutthemdown
08-18-2014, 12:08 AM
I think Susana Martinez is only good as a VP choice. She doesn't have the pull yet to try and be the nominee.

cutthemdown
08-18-2014, 12:09 AM
It's weird Martinez has a high approval rating but the states economy isn't all that great from what I read a few months ago. But she polls well with even Democrats. What is it about her people in New Mexico love?

Taco John
08-18-2014, 12:16 AM
I just don't see why Huntsman has any appeal to you guys. But then, I've read Double Down, where he basically comes across like a spoiled rich kid floating around life on daddy's dime. But even if I ignored the silver spoon charmed life aspect of the guy, he's done nothing to make me think he brings anything to the table politically. Who does he bring to the table?

As far as I can tell, the guys only claim to fame is that Democrats think he's great for some reason... I've never seen anyone actually explain what about Huntsman is appealing.

Rohirrim
08-18-2014, 06:57 AM
I just don't see why Huntsman has any appeal to you guys. But then, I've read Double Down, where he basically comes across like a spoiled rich kid floating around life on daddy's dime. But even if I ignored the silver spoon charmed life aspect of the guy, he's done nothing to make me think he brings anything to the table politically. Who does he bring to the table?

As far as I can tell, the guys only claim to fame is that Democrats think he's great for some reason... I've never seen anyone actually explain what about Huntsman is appealing.

He doesn't appeal to me at all, but I think he's the cleanest, most centrist candidate the Right can come up with in a general election, although the modern meaning of "centrist" is what used to be considered hard Right. Look at some of the names on that list. There's some real fire breathing fringers in there who couldn't possibly take a general election. I guess you're once again going for Rand Paul? Or are you just mad that he's not on the list. ;D

BTW, Ahnold can't run for president.

Rohirrim
08-18-2014, 07:00 AM

https://img1.etsystatic.com/037/0/6694806/il_570xN.535435305_spjs.jpg

;D

cutthemdown
08-18-2014, 10:58 AM
I would love it if Bernie Sanders somehow got the nomination.

peacepipe
08-18-2014, 11:13 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-moore/why-rick-perry-will-be-co_b_5686664.html

The PIU had been investigating the Cancer Research and Prevention Institute (CPRIT), a $3 billion dollar taxpayer funded project that awarded research and investment grants to startups targeting cancer cures. The entire scientific review team, including Nobel Laureate scientists, resigned because they said millions were handed out through political favoritism. Investigations by Texas newspapers indicated much of the money was ending up in projects proposed by campaign donors and supporters of Governor Perry. In fact, one of the executives of CPRIT was indicted in the PIU investigation for awarding an $11 million dollar grant to a company without the proposal undergoing any type of review.

Perry might have been the next target.

The same cronyism appeared to be at work in two other large taxpayer accounts called the Emerging Technology Fund (ETF), and the Texas Enterprise Fund, (TEF), which were supposed to be used to help technology startups and assist companies wanting to move to Texas. In total, the governor and his appointees had purview over about $19 billion and where they wanted it invested.

Why not make sure your contributors get some of that sweetness?

If Perry were able to get Lehmberg to resign, he'd have the authority to appoint her replacement. We can assume that would have been a Republican, and that any investigations might have stuttered to a halt. The DA, however, refused, and began to field threats from the governor's office that the PIU budget was to be zeroed out via line item veto. But the exercise of the veto is not what got Perry indicted.

First, he used the veto to threaten a public officeholder. This is abuse of the power of his office. Presidents and governors frequently use the possibility of vetoes to change the course of legislation. But that is considerably different than trying to force an elected officeholder to resign. What Perry did, if true, can be politely called blackmail, and, when he sent emissaries to urge Lehmberg to quit even after his veto, he may have indulged in bribery. According to sources close to the grand jury, Perry dispatched two of his staffers and one high-profile Democrat to tell Lehmberg if she left her office the governor would reinstate the PIU budget. One report indicates there may have been a quid pro quo of a new, more lucrative job for the DA, which is why this case has nothing to do with his right to use the veto.

But that's where Perry will focus his public defense.

Of course, he will also continue his argument this is another manifestation of partisan politics in Austin. That claim is as misleading as his veto rhetoric. There wasn't a single Democrat involved in the investigation and indictment. In fact, Perry appointed the presiding judge in the case, Billy Ray Stubblefield of the 3rd Judicial District. Stubblefield named retired Judge Bert Richardson of Bexar County (San Antonio) to handle the grand jury investigation, and Richardson picked Mike McCrum to be the special prosecutor in the case. McCrum, who withdrew his name from consideration for U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Texas, had the support of the two Republican Texas U.S. Senators and the state's Democratic officeholders, which hardly makes him a Democratic Party hack. (A Washington gridlock over the confirmation process in the U.S. Senate caused him to withdraw.)

cutthemdown
08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Perry has the power to veto whatever he wants. This is all political over a drunk driving crazy ass bitch of a DA.

Florida_Bronco
08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Paul Ryan, John McCain, Jon Huntsman, Donald Trump All already had their shot. Huckabee, Santorum, Bachmann, and Palin are social conservatives that are frankly not very smart. Social conservatism will never get another person elected for POTUS in this country. 2004 was that act's last hoorah.

McCain was probably too old 8 years, and I'd be surprised if he is still alive come 2020. Ryan is too tainted from his resoundingly stupid budget proposals and his willingness to **** the middle class for the benefit of rich people and big business.

As a moderate and independent, only Huntsman would get my vote from this group and your side is too stupid to nominate him.

Mitt Romney Had two shots, lost both times.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Can't even run unless you change the Constitution...though I like him and would consider voting for him.

Jeb Bush He's a Bush. On that alone, he is sunk.

Ted Cruz Teabagger ideologue with no legislative accomplishments and almost single handedly responsible for the recent government shut down that cost us an ass load of money and essentially started the Mainstream GOP vs. Teabagger civil war that the teabaggers have been losing horribly.

Bob McDonnell, Chris Christie The former is already under indictment, the second may very well be in the near future. The former is another social conservative dweeb, the later is actually someone I would consider voting for even though his anti-union views conflict with my pro-union views.

Scott Walker, John Kasich Poor approval numbers. Only real claims to fame are their anti-union stances that don't play well outside of the hard right.

Michael Bloomberg LMAO! The "God, Gays and Guns" crowd is going to nominate the former Mayor of New York City who is for gun control and gay marriage. LOL:spit:

Marco Rubio Another tea bagger whose stock has plummeted.

Bobby Jindal Wants to stop being "the Party of Stupid". How do you win when you are alienating your biggest voting bloc? :kiddingme

And the coup de grace...

Ben Carson After spending most of Obama's first term by mocking him for his lack of political experience, the GOP is going to respond by nominating a guy with no political experience. ROFL!

cutthemdown
08-18-2014, 11:42 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/the-weak-case-against-rick-perry

this case is about as weak as they come!

Fedaykin
08-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Perry has the power to veto whatever he wants. This is all political over a drunk driving crazy ass b**** of a DA.

He does have the power to veto whatever he wants. That is not in question. What is in question is did he engage in coercion of a public official or not.

The Republican DA in charge of the case seems to think so.

cutthemdown
08-18-2014, 11:51 AM
The case is weak and I will bet anything you want it has no legs for a conviction. It's a politically motivated attack. Just because people are in the same party doesn't mean they won't fight. Especially when it comes to Texas politics.

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 12:18 PM
As a moderate and independent, only Huntsman would get my vote from this group and your side is too stupid to nominate him.

Yeah, no. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/jun/24/jon-huntsman-republican-moderate

Huntsman got the love of the left because he came out of the gates criticizing his own party. When you look at what's actually behind the curtains though, there's nothing there that a Democrat would likely consider crossing over for (once the thrill of the red on red criticism wears off)

After spending most of Obama's first term by mocking him for his lack of political experience, the GOP is going to respond by nominating a guy with no political experience. ROFL!

I don't think the right mocked his lack of political experience. More his lack of managerial and/or real-world experience. And his administration definitely has had the look of being run by someone who'd never managed anything other than his own image. :)

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 12:35 PM
He does have the power to veto whatever he wants. That is not in question. What is in question is did he engage in coercion of a public official or not.

The Republican DA in charge of the case seems to think so.

For a little perspective on what a raging party homer you're being. :)

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/08/rick-perry-indictment-is-unbelievably-ridiculous.html

Florida_Bronco
08-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Yeah, no. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/jun/24/jon-huntsman-republican-moderate

Huntsman got the love of the left because he came out of the gates criticizing his own party. When you look at what's actually behind the curtains though, there's nothing there that a Democrat would likely consider crossing over for (once the thrill of the red on red criticism wears off) I am good friends with an attorney who has lived in Utah his whole life. Like me, he is a moderate/independent type. We have talked extensively about Huntsman.

There is a lot to like about Huntsman for both parties.

I don't think the right mocked his lack of political experience. Then you weren't paying attention.

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I am good friends with an attorney who has lived in Utah his whole life. Like me, he is a moderate/independent type. We have talked extensively about Huntsman.

There is a lot to like about Huntsman for both parties.

When it comes to political positions, what exactly does a Democrat have to like about Huntsman?

Rohirrim
08-18-2014, 12:57 PM
I would love it if Bernie Sanders somehow got the nomination.

I doubt if he'd ever get the nomination. The Dems have proven over and over again that they're waaaay too gutless for that. However, it would be fun to watch him run against Hillary and get her to publicly stand up for her bankster buddies and their Wall Street sidekicks. :~ohyah!:

Arkie
08-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Perry may not be much smarter than a ham sandwich, but he is exactly as guilty as one.

LOL

Fedaykin
08-18-2014, 01:11 PM
For a little perspective on what a raging party homer you're being. :)

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/08/rick-perry-indictment-is-unbelievably-ridiculous.html

Pointing out that it's not a partisan move makes me a party homer? You just pull various words out of a bag and type them, don't you?

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Pointing out that it's not a partisan move makes me a party homer? You just pull various words out of a bag and type them, don't you?

You'll have to fill me in more on the "Republican DA" thing. Not sure what that is.

But even while the Axeman himself admits the indictment is pretty "sketchy," Fed still argues that an executive vetoing funding for a "public integrity" department led by an out-of-control jailbird might be "Coercion" LOL

cutthemdown
08-18-2014, 02:15 PM
I doubt if he'd ever get the nomination. The Dems have proven over and over again that they're waaaay too gutless for that. However, it would be fun to watch him run against Hillary and get her to publicly stand up for her bankster buddies and their Wall Street sidekicks. :~ohyah!:

I think the problem is the Republicans aren't real conservatives, and the Democrats aren't real liberals. At least Sanders is a real liberal and not a poser like Obama. Sure Obama liberal on some social policies and taxing upper classes more but when it comes down to it he did none of the stuff liberals really craved.

elsid13
08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
This is very simple case dependent on two factors. First was tax payer money steered to Perry campaign donors and supporters and second did the governors office attempt to prevent an investigation from going forward because of the first issue. If either is true and Perry can linked to it then there is a big problem.

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 03:01 PM
This is very simple case dependent on two factors. First was tax payer money steered to Perry campaign donors and supporters and second did the governors office attempt to prevent an investigation from going forward because of the first issue. If either is true and Perry can linked to it then there is a big problem.

Not complicated at all. Perry was very plain about the whole thing. And as long as there's anything resembling a reasonable rationale for an executive's exercising his Constitutional authority, there is no argument to be had.

1. A "Public Integrity" officer was found to be corrupt.
2. Perry lacked the authority to terminate her, but did have the authority to terminate her budget.
3. Perry said "resign, or your department will be defunded"
4. Corrupt official refused.
5. Budget was terminated.

You can try to read sinister motives into it all you want. And that's fine, so far as you're just trying to play politics. But these are criminal charges being filed. Which is comical. Because there's clearly much more than reasonable doubt to be had about why Perry did it.

I guess we better welcome this bold new world of Democrats indicting people who want to cut their funding. Scary when you think where this road ends. But in the meantime, I'll enjoy 'Progressives' living up to their best caricature as they blindly defend the most egregious government agencies and employees just for the sake of defending their beloved government.

I mean the bad press writes itself. The lady's video is a hilarious exhibition of her unfitness for office. Any taxpayer funds under her authority should clearly be removed on behalf of Texas taxpayers. Yet again, like the world's most loyal abused dogs, Progessives stick by her side, and snarl and growl at the guy who just did what needed to be done.

DenverBrit
08-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Beavis, how was the DA 'corrupt'? Wasn't she busted for a dui, or is there something else?

Bronco Yoda
08-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Nothing will come of this unless some small technicality can be found to make stick somehow.

elsid13
08-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Not complicated at all. Perry was very plain about the whole thing. And as long as there's anything resembling a reasonable rationale for an executive's exercising his Constitutional authority, there is no argument to be had.

2. Perry lacked the authority to terminate her, but did have the authority to terminate her budget.

You can try to read sinister motives into it all you want. And that's fine, so far as you're just trying to play politics. But these are criminal charges being filed. Which is comical. Because there's clearly much more than reasonable doubt to be had about why Perry did it.

I guess we better welcome this bold new world of Democrats indicting people who want to cut their funding. Scary when you think where this road ends. But in the meantime, I'll enjoy 'Progressives' living up to their best caricature as they blindly defend the most egregious government agencies and employees just for the sake of defending their beloved government.

I mean the bad press writes itself. The lady's video is a hilarious exhibition of her unfitness for office. Any taxpayer funds under her authority should clearly be removed on behalf of Texas taxpayers. Yet again, like the world's most loyal abused dogs, Progessives stick by her side, and snarl and growl at the guy who just did what needed to be done.

If she was "corrupt" there is a way Perry could have gotten rid of her:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.87.htm

peacepipe
08-18-2014, 03:25 PM

So even you acknowledge he abused his power. See post #76.

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Beavis, how was the DA 'corrupt'? Wasn't she busted for a dui, or is there something else?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727659/Perry-moves-ahead-16-courtship-despite-case.html

Lehmberg, a Democrat, is one of the most powerful prosecutors in the state. She had a blood alcohol level of 0.239percent - nearly three times the legal limit - when she was arrested in April 2013.

Jailhouse video shows her drunk, belligerent, threatening officers, kicking the door of her cell and repeatedly trying to pull rank in the Travis County Detention Center....

Y'all better do something quick or y'all are the ones that's gonna be in jail, not me,' she tells officers who are searching her.

She repeatedly yells at jailers to 'call Greg,' a reference to Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton.

At one point, when an officer tells her that she's been arrested for drunken driving, she shrugs and says, 'That's y'alls' problem, not mine.'

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 03:49 PM
So even you acknowledge he be abused his power. See post #76.

Proof the koolaid drinkers can truly turn anything upside down. LOL

Rohirrim
08-18-2014, 04:07 PM
I think the problem is the Republicans aren't real conservatives, and the Democrats aren't real liberals. At least Sanders is a real liberal and not a poser like Obama. Sure Obama liberal on some social policies and taxing upper classes more but when it comes down to it he did none of the stuff that he said he was going to do.

fyp

DenverBrit
08-18-2014, 04:12 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727659/Perry-moves-ahead-16-courtship-despite-case.html

So the 'corrupt DA' was your invention, I see a drunken DA, not a 'corrupt DA.' Huge difference.

This is much closer to the 'issue'

Lehmberg ran a public corruption unit that pursued charges against Republicans

Luke Lucas
08-18-2014, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=DenverBrit;4160149]So the 'corrupt DA' was your invention, I see a drunken DA, not a 'corrupt DA.' Huge difference.

Any DA anywhere who is arrested and spends time in jail for DUI,your DA career is over. The only reason vodka Rose is still in office is the twin democrat virtues of ignorance and arrogance. Gov Perry is as corrupt as can be but in this instance he is doing the right thing.

File this under: blind squril finds nut.

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 06:34 PM
So the 'corrupt DA' was your invention, I see a drunken DA, not a 'corrupt DA.' Huge difference.

This is much closer to the 'issue'

Ha.

So a DA makes legal threats to officers within her jurisdiction simply for enforcing the law against her. And you don't call that corrupt?

Keep smokin' that party pole Brit.

For a local DA, it's just about the worst kind of corruption.

"Keep her in office! So long as her corrupt ass keeps up the heat on Republicans!"

Sad.

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=DenverBrit;4160149]So the 'corrupt DA' was your invention, I see a drunken DA, not a 'corrupt DA.' Huge difference.

Any DA anywhere who is arrested and spends time in jail for DUI,your DA career is over. The only reason vodka Rose is still in office is the twin democrat virtues of ignorance and arrogance. Gov Perry is as corrupt as can be but in this instance he is doing the right thing.

Blah blah blah.

A DA who gets sentenced to 45 days in jail should still be free to prosecute others for breaking the law. Even while herself behind bars. LOL

Every now and again Brit completely jumps the shark for his team. This is exhibit P.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-18-2014, 07:55 PM
<iframe title="MRC TV video player" width="640" height="360" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/128864" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here comes the Foxnews talking points about this dog/pony show. Wait, did I say Foxnews? I meant to say MSNBC.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-18-2014, 08:11 PM
In unsurprising news, liberals celebrate the idea of criminalizing and incarcerating the opposition. The sky is also blue.

DenverBrit
08-18-2014, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=Luke Lucas;4160236]

Blah blah blah.

A DA who gets sentenced to 45 days in jail should still be free to prosecute others for breaking the law. Even while herself behind bars. LOL

Every now and again Brit completely jumps the shark for his team. This is exhibit P.

And which team is that?? I've asked you before when you make similar statements, still waiting for a cogent response

You invented the 'corruption' to try and make a case and take some heat off your boy, Perry. Now you're going to childish lengths to justify your hyperbole.

Being a drunken asshat is not corruption, but when partisan politics are at play, anything goes.

TailgateNut
08-18-2014, 08:22 PM
In unsurprising news, liberals celebrate the idea of criminalizing and incarcerating the opposition. The sky is also blue.

I would prefer to sterilize them, better long term fix.

DenverBrit
08-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Ha.

So a DA makes legal threats to officers within her jurisdiction simply for enforcing the law against her. And you don't call that corrupt?

Keep smokin' that party pole Brit.

For a local DA, it's just about the worst kind of corruption.

"Keep her in office! So long as her corrupt ass keeps up the heat on Republicans!"

Sad.

Worst kind of corruption. Hilarious!

DenverBrit
08-18-2014, 08:26 PM

Maybe, but he's stupid enough to publicly announce his objective of using public funds to attempt remove a DA he doesn't like.

Again, stupid.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-18-2014, 08:31 PM
I would prefer to sterilize them, better long term fix.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HByT3b_zAJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TailgateNut
08-18-2014, 08:34 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HByT3b_zAJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go:cowgirl:Go..........;D

Dr. Broncenstein
08-18-2014, 08:35 PM
How suicidal were you after that win? Obviously, not quite enough. But still, I know you were upset. Guess how I know?

TailgateNut
08-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Great game....but it still wasn't good enough to keep the dillwad employed in Denver.............AWSOME.

TailgateNut
08-18-2014, 08:42 PM
How suicidal were you after that win? Obviously, not quite enough. But still, I know you were upset. Guess how I know?

Do you even realize how ****ing idiotic you sound? How many games have you attended in your miserable life?

......and if you weren't so goddamn stupid, youl'd realize and acknowledge that I wasn't the only one who wasn't happy about that one trick pony behind center. I believe Elway and 31 other teams agreed with me. HE SUCKED and still SUCKS.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Do you even realize how ****ing idiotic you sound? How many games have you attended in your miserable life?

......and if you weren't so goddamn stupid, youl'd realize and acknowledge that I wasn't the only one who wasn't happy about that one trick pony behind center. I believe Elway and 31 other teams agreed with me. HE SUCKED and still SUCKS.

Elway looked pretty happy on the sidelines during that win. I know you weren't. Guess how I know?

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 09:54 PM
And which team is that?? I've asked you before when you make similar statements, still waiting for a cogent response

You invented the 'corruption' to try and make a case and take some heat off your boy, Perry. Now you're going to childish lengths to justify your hyperbole.

Being a drunken asshat is not corruption, but when partisan politics are at play, anything goes.

(R) Pol threatening another Pol's Gummint Funding... Felony Corruption.

(D) Pol threating an arresting officer with jail time?... Unfortunate Drunken Highjinks.

What an insatiable party fellatiator. LOL

DenverBrit
08-18-2014, 10:08 PM
(R) Pol threatening another Pol's Gummint Funding... Felony Corruption.

(D) Pol threating an arresting officer with jail time?... Unfortunate Drunken Highjinks.

What an insatiable party fellatiator. LOL

WTF are you talking about now? I know you like to drink and post, but really?

You still inexplicably overuse LOL anytime you're reaching and deflecting.

BroncoBeavis
08-18-2014, 10:24 PM
http://cdn.meme.li/instances/500x/50391607.jpg

Guess Who
08-19-2014, 01:43 AM

Huntsman got the love of the left because he came out of the gates criticizing his own party. When you look at what's actually behind the curtains though, there's nothing there that a Democrat would likely consider crossing over for (once the thrill of the red on red criticism wears off)

I don't think the right mocked his lack of political experience. More his lack of managerial and/or real-world experience. And his administration definitely has had the look of being run by someone who'd never managed anything other than his own image. :)

I love his daughter A LOT!!! almost stalkerish amount!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/463348479201271808/0eXcuLs5.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Abby_Huntsman.jpeg

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Abby-Huntsman-The-Cycle-Social-Security.jpg

She is my third favorite female on MSNBC.

broncocalijohn
08-19-2014, 02:11 AM
So even you acknowledge he abused his power. See post #76.

I am not sure he abused his power. Seems he used his given power to put her in a corner.

See if it fits concerning Texas Constitution...

Here is link to the original story of her in jail drunk as a sailor on his first day of leave...

Florida_Bronco
08-19-2014, 05:09 AM
When it comes to political positions, what exactly does a Democrat have to like about Huntsman?

Allow me to make it easy for you.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Jon_Huntsman.htm

Surely, you can see quite a few on there that moderates such as myself could support. Beyond that, Huntsman is attractive because even on the issues we do not agree with him on, he has a proven track record on non-partisanship and being willing and able to work across party lines.

peacepipe
08-19-2014, 07:58 AM
John huntsman is no different than any other republican. Seems like a GWB/Romney mix only more charismatic and able to finish a sentence. No thanks.

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 08:09 AM
What amazes me is that the country is wrecked due to thirty years of Right Wing policy in support of elitism, the Dems are still playing the Center/Right card that Clinton created for them, while the Right is going, "It's not working because we haven't been extreme enough!"

Gee, maybe the country is ready to hear about the progressive option which real evidence shows, created the best quality of life Americans ever had? Ya think? Ha!

BroncoBeavis
08-19-2014, 08:28 AM
What amazes me is that the country is wrecked due to thirty years of Right Wing policy in support of elitism, the Dems are still playing the Center/Right card that Clinton created for them, while the Right is going, "It's not working because we haven't been extreme enough!"

Gee, maybe the country is ready to hear about the progressive option which real evidence shows, created the best quality of life Americans ever had? Ya think? Ha!

The "Progressive Option" was World War destroying most of the rest of industrialized civilization?

Who knew? :)

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 08:46 AM
The "Progressive Option" was World War destroying most of the rest of industrialized civilization?

Who knew? :)

Given your record of reading comprehension errors and inane deflections on this forum, I'm sure that everyone looks forward to your innovative takes on world history. :rofl:

BroncoBeavis
08-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Given your record of reading comprehension errors and inane deflections on this forum, I'm sure that everyone looks forward to your innovative takes on world history. :rofl:

Says Mr. Look at that Progressive Golden Age who says he doesn't believe in Golden Ages. :)

cutthemdown
08-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Ok Rho so let me get this straight.

Democrats- hey everyone vote for Obama. He is a progressive and will make good changes and reforms.

Democrats- Hey everyone it turns out Obama is just like all the crappy republicans. Maybe you are ready to try a real progressive this time?

is that about right?

Arkie
08-19-2014, 12:38 PM

America lived beyond its means for the last 100 years. It seems to me that America's golden age was the 80's, 90's, and all the way up until home ownership and the employment population ratio reached it's peak in 2006. Mass consumption and reliance on credit makes life easier in the short term, but eventually we have to pay for all that exuberance.

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Says Mr. Look at that Progressive Golden Age who says he doesn't believe in Golden Ages. :)

Again, Captain Deflection tries another tack. I didn't say "Golden Age." Golden Age is entirely subjective. I said "...created the best quality of life Americans ever had" and that is certainly quantifiable. Do you disagree?

Let me give you a head's up; If the same thing happened now, world war, huge glut of jobs, breakdown of industrialism elsewhere, etc., the same result would not take place. Why? Unions are dead. Progressive taxation is less than half what it was then. Trade deals have changed the playing field. The wage structure of the nation has been turned upside down. Health care costs (due to HMO piracy) are busting the nation. Etc. etc. etc.

You guys just can't grasp it, can you? It is policy that changes the world. Decisions have consequences. Thirty years of Right Wing policy has wrecked America.

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Ok Rho so let me get this straight.

Democrats- hey everyone vote for Obama. He is a progressive and will make good changes and reforms.

Democrats- Hey everyone it turns out Obama is just like all the crappy republicans. Maybe you are ready to try a real progressive this time?

is that about right?

Even Obama doesn't think he's a progressive, by any stretch of the imagination.

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
America lived beyond its means for the last 100 years. It seems to me that America's golden age was the 80's, 90's, and all the way up until home ownership and the employment population ratio reached it's peak in 2006. Mass consumption and reliance on credit makes life easier in the short term, but eventually we have to pay for all that exuberance.

I would argue that the banksters shifting America from a saving nation to a debtor nation was one of the first acts of the elite takeover, and it was all done with propaganda. See post #72.

BroncoBeavis
08-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Again, Captain Deflection tries another tack. I didn't say "Golden Age." Golden Age is entirely subjective. I said "...created the best quality of life Americans ever had" and that is certainly quantifiable. Do you disagree?

Yeah, I disagree. Quality of life is pretty subjective, and for who? Some people think Facebook has completely improved their QoL. Others think it's destroying it. Yet virtually everyone has access to it. On screens made in China or Korea. So is that a net positive. A negative? Truthfully, nobody can really say.

Yeah, the post WWII era brought historically high wages. For white people, at least. Or make that white men. Women basically didn't own much of anything. How was their QoL? We've absorbed most of them into the workforce in a very short period. Does that mean it's still fair to compare median income now to median income then?

Of course not. The supply of labor has nearly proportionally doubled. Which means, by definition, wages couldn't remain flat. But was it a "quality of life" improvement? It depends. Are you asking a man or a woman?

We've gotta get past this simple algebraic model of how the world's economy works. It's a phony way of looking at things. The whole world as it existed in 1960 no longer exists. And even if you went back to doing everything the way we did back then, it wouldn't work today. Because today's world is an entirely different puzzle.

Fedaykin
08-20-2014, 09:11 AM

The 80s and 90s were a sham attempt to sustain the middle class with credit instead of real income.

The upper 1% knew exactly what they were doing (funneling more of the real income to themselves), the rest were not aware and even were conned in to assisting in their own economic destruction through activities such as vilifying unions.

Rigs11
08-20-2014, 11:56 AM
caption Perry's mugshot

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140819185156-rick-perry-mugshot-story-body.jpg

broncocalijohn
08-20-2014, 12:29 PM
The 80s and 90s were a sham attempt to sustain the middle class with credit instead of real income.

The upper 1% knew exactly what they were doing (funneling more of the real income to themselves), the rest were not aware and even were conned in to assisting in their own economic destruction through activities such as vilifying unions.

So going against unions means middle class doomed themselves? If so, wtf? Unions created their own mess with their greed. If you want to blame the greed of the 80s in corporate world, you better say the same for unions in the 90s/2000s.

Rohirrim
08-20-2014, 01:47 PM
caption Perry's mugshot

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140819185156-rick-perry-mugshot-story-body.jpg

"Jack Lord's got nothing on me!"

Luke Lucas
08-20-2014, 05:41 PM
caption Perry's mugshot

I can't believe they didn't get me for trying to force every teenage girl in the state of Texas to have the hpv vaccine so that my cronies could make millions for something no one wanted.

barryr
08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
There isn't a republican these zombie liberals would ever vote for if pitted against any democrat and they know it.

Florida_Bronco
08-20-2014, 09:34 PM
There isn't a republican these zombie liberals would ever vote for if pitted against any democrat and they know it.

I can't speak for the "zombie liberals" but as a moderate independent, there aren't a whole lot of people from the current GOP I'd cast my vote for and the few I would are the ones you'd eat alive in the primaries.

I'm part of the demographic that ultimately decides who becomes POTUS and we've by and large turned our collective back on you.

barryr
08-20-2014, 09:52 PM
I can't speak for the "zombie liberals" but as a moderate independent, there aren't a whole lot of people from the current GOP I'd cast my vote for and the few I would are the ones you'd eat alive in the primaries.

I'm part of the demographic that ultimately decides who becomes POTUS and we've by and large turned our collective back on you.

Instead vote for the trash we have now. Congrats on a job well done.

BroncoBeavis
08-21-2014, 08:06 AM

What gleaming source of hope do you see on the other side? LOL

Problem 1 in American politics is that our best people are scared to death to run. Because we collectively chew those kinds of people up and spit them out through the political process. Destroy lives, if need be.

In reality you're probably a certain kind of lifelong sycophant or compulsive narcissist to want to live through the process. Which represents 80-90% of our representation in Washington.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Way to woo those moderate independents! :welcome:

And you wonder why your brand has become so toxic...

BroncoLifer
08-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Problem 1 in American politics is that our best people are scared to death to run. Because we collectively chew those kinds of people up and spit them out through the political process. Destroy lives, if need be.

In reality you're probably a certain kind of lifelong sycophant or compulsive narcissist to want to live through the process. Which represents 80-90% of our representation in Washington.

Quoted for truth.

broncocalijohn
08-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Way to woo those moderate independents! :welcome:

And you wonder why your brand has become so toxic...

Sometimes seeing what the Top Dem Brand named Obama can be toxic enough for voters. I don't know the latest numbers for independents but they certainly will have a huge say on possibly changing the Senate to Republican leaning. For president? Too early to tell. That will depend on the candidate more so on the Republican side than the Democrat side IMO.

peacepipe
08-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Lol the only way a republican is getting in the White House is if the dem president invites one over for a drink.

Bronco Yoda
08-21-2014, 02:26 PM
What's the worry righties. If Hillary gets in, she'll give the Repubs all the war their hearts desire. And the Demo's are just dumb enough to get her in. What's the problem here? she'll be the POTUS you never knew you really wanted.

Florida_Bronco
08-21-2014, 02:46 PM

In the two elections I've participated in (2008 and 2012) I voted for Obama, who was clearly better than the candidates the GOP trotted out. Obama's near sweep of the swing states both times as well as the exit polling showed my demographic overwhelmingly agreed with me.

As long as your side is giving us worse alternatives than the DNC, you will continue to lose national elections.

ludo21
08-21-2014, 03:09 PM
I went Obama 2008 and 3rd Party 2012. I might go 3rd party again if I believe they are a vastly better candidate.

Guess Who
08-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Lol the only way a republican is getting in the White House is if the dem president invites one over for a drink.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. When you look at the Electoral map The Repubs have zero shot if the don't get both Florida and Ohio. Even getting those two states they still need to get others like Colorado Iowa, Michigan... states like that. States that used to be swing.

Now Georgia and Arizona are turning purple and will start coming into play for Dems.

Rohirrim
08-21-2014, 06:54 PM
In the two elections I've participated in (2008 and 2012) I voted for Obama, who was clearly better than the candidates the GOP trotted out. Obama's near sweep of the swing states both times as well as the exit polling showed my demographic overwhelmingly agreed with me.

As long as your side is giving us worse alternatives than the DNC, you will continue to lose national elections.

What I find remarkable about the Right is that their policies have been an abysmal failure for the country and, instead of creating new policies, they just want to double-down while thinking their only problem is one of PR.

barryr
08-21-2014, 10:10 PM

LOL love how some liberals try to claim to be moderates. "I'm not a liberal who only votes democrat, I just happen to never find anything to criticize Obama about, much less democrats." Maybe fooling yourself, but that's about it.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
LOL love how some liberals try to claim to be moderates. "I'm not a liberal who only votes democrat, I just happen to never find anything to criticize Obama about, much less democrats." Maybe fooling yourself, but that's about it.

L0L @ you thinking you know enough about him to judge whether he's a moderate or not.

Those of us who have been reading his posts for a long time can confirm that Florida Bronco is about as moderate as they come.

Guess Who
08-22-2014, 05:16 AM
L0L @ you thinking you know enough about him to judge whether he's a moderate or not.

Those of us who have been reading his posts for a long time can confirm that Florida Bronco is about as moderate as they come.

He has been gone a long time. I thought he was a Republican.... Can't remember **** though, too many concussions.

Johnykbr
08-22-2014, 06:34 AM
What I find remarkable about the Right is that their policies have been an abysmal failure for the country and, instead of creating new policies, they just want to double-down while thinking their only problem is one of PR.

That is a pretty bold statement, what are the policies that have been the abysmal failures that weren't compounded by democrats?

Johnykbr
08-22-2014, 06:38 AM

I'll agree with you about McCain all day long. The 2000 primary version vs the 2008 candidate was a complete 180. But there is no question in my mind that Romney would be a superior president as compared to Obama's second term.

BroncoBeavis
08-22-2014, 07:08 AM
That is a pretty bold statement, what are the policies that have been the abysmal failures that weren't compounded by democrats?

You're missing his point. When Democrats fail, they're basically just Republicans. Only when Democrats succeed are they Democrats. But when Republicans fail, they're still Republicans.

Make sense? :)

Florida_Bronco
08-22-2014, 08:49 AM

Think this is an accurate depiction of how Barry sees the political spectrum?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w19/Florida_Bronco/Spectrum.png

Florida_Bronco
08-22-2014, 08:51 AM
He has been gone a long time. I thought he was a Republican.... Can't remember **** though, too many concussions.

I was, when I was younger. Then as I got a little older and a lot smarter I realized how toxic those bastards are (and keep in mind, this was before the teabaggers came around and drug the GOP down even further) and subsequently became more liberal.

peacepipe
08-22-2014, 09:18 AM

The Republican motto,if you screw up blame a dem

Florida_Bronco
08-22-2014, 09:51 AM
I'll agree with you about McCain all day long. The 2000 primary version vs the 2008 candidate was a complete 180. But there is no question in my mind that Romney would be a superior president as compared to Obama's second term.

This country would have been vastly better with McCain in 2000. The entire Iraq fiasco probably doesn't happen with him in there. By 2008 he was basically just a bitter old man that no one really liked.

The funny thing about Romney is he could have been that guy to get the moderate and independent vote, had he not abandoned his moderate, Northeastern Republican image to court the crazy vote. In a lot of ways I feel for him.

I still don't think I would have given him my vote though. With the middle class in this country getting raped, we needed and continue to need someone who will fight for them. The GOP just pays us lip service while being whores for big business. Obama...despite whatever faults he may have (real or imagined)...came from meager beginnings and actually has the life experience to empathize with the lower and middle classes.

BroncoBeavis
08-22-2014, 10:19 AM
The GOP just pays us lip service while being whores for big business. Obama...despite whatever faults he may have (real or imagined)...came from meager beginnings and actually has the life experience to empathize with the lower and middle classes.

Can't believe your take from the last 6 years has been Obama avoids corporate whoredom, and really cares about the little guy.

He cares about the little guy's vote. Or cared. Now that he doesn't need at anymore, he's pretty much dropped all pretense. Dude is 100% checked out. Nothing in it for him anymore.

Johnykbr
08-22-2014, 12:03 PM
This country would have been vastly better with McCain in 2000. The entire Iraq fiasco probably doesn't happen with him in there. By 2008 he was basically just a bitter old man that no one really liked.

The funny thing about Romney is he could have been that guy to get the moderate and independent vote, had he not abandoned his moderate, Northeastern Republican image to court the crazy vote. In a lot of ways I feel for him.

I still don't think I would have given him my vote though. With the middle class in this country getting raped, we needed and continue to need someone who will fight for them. The GOP just pays us lip service while being whores for big business. Obama...despite whatever faults he may have (real or imagined)...came from meager beginnings and actually has the life experience to empathize with the lower and middle classes.

Dude, just because Obama moved around a lot as a kid, that does not mean he was poor. Hell, he attended one of the most prestigious private schools in the nation and not on a charity scholarship. Was he as rich as Mitt? No, of course not, but he was not poor and not middle class. And I sure can't think of anything Obama did first term to help the middle class long term.

Johnykbr
08-22-2014, 12:04 PM
The Republican motto,if you screw up blame a dem

Or someone could bring up something that is 100 percent a Republican failure. Which was my point.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Or someone could bring up something that is 100 percent a Republican failure. Which was my point.

That's easy: Just name anything that has gone wrong with America since Hoover.

Florida_Bronco
08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Can't believe your take from the last 6 years has been Obama avoids corporate whoredom, and really cares about the little guy.

He cares about the little guy's vote. Or cared. Now that he doesn't need at anymore, he's pretty much dropped all pretense. Dude is 100% checked out. Nothing in it for him anymore.

We've spent six years listening to people like you tell us that Obama is the bain of the business community and now you're trying to tell me he's a corporate whore?

Do you guys actually have positions or do you just make **** up to oppose him?

Florida_Bronco
08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Dude, just because Obama moved around a lot as a kid, that does not mean he was poor. Hell, he attended one of the most prestigious private schools in the nation and not on a charity scholarship. Was he as rich as Mitt? No, of course not, but he was not poor and not middle class. And I sure can't think of anything Obama did first term to help the middle class long term.

First, I said meager, not poor. They are not the same thing. If Obama was not middle class, than what was he?

The stimulus and health care reform are two things he did that were very beneficial to the middle class.

Rohirrim
08-22-2014, 02:22 PM

God, I hope you're kidding.

BroncoBeavis
08-22-2014, 02:37 PM
We've spent six years listening to people like you tell us that Obama is the bain of the business community and now you're trying to tell me he's a corporate whore?

Corporate/Political whoreism IS the bane of legitimate business.

I have no sympathy for the other Corporate rent-seekers. Which just so happens to be just the kind of Corporate John our government (Republican and Democrat) has acquired a taste for.

barryr
08-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Yet with your posts you claim to be a moderate. Nothing you post can't be found as slogans on liberal websites. At least be honest.

peacepipe
08-22-2014, 06:35 PM

With people like Barry,you're either part of the right-wing fringe or you're a liberal. There is no in between with him.

barryr
08-22-2014, 06:46 PM
With people like Barry,you're either part of the right-wing fringe or you're a liberal. There is no in between with him.

I'd say you are either stupid or a fool. Take your pick. It's not me ignoring a public official being caught driving drunk and being belligerent to police. That would be you and your ilk.

Florida_Bronco
08-22-2014, 10:23 PM

I have no sympathy for the other Corporate rent-seekers. Which just so happens to be just the kind of Corporate John our government (Republican and Democrat) has acquired a taste for.

Your posts make no sense. Seriously, I can't even decipher your position enough to debate it.

Yet with your posts you claim to be a moderate. Nothing you post can't be found as slogans on liberal websites. At least be honest.

Like what, exactly? This should be pretty interesting considering I haven't posted any real "positions" of mine here on this thread.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-22-2014, 11:14 PM

This from a guy who does nothing but attack Democrats and defend rethugs on this forum.

What a hoot you are. Ha!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-22-2014, 11:19 PM

Yep.

Barryr belongs to that fringe minority who were still supporting GeeDubya when Bush's approval numbers were lower than Nixon's Watergate numbers.

It's just barryr and his fellow short bus passengers vs. the world.

nyuk nyuk
08-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Ouch!

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) A grand jury indicted Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Friday for abusing the powers of his office by carrying out a threat to veto funding for state prosecutors investigating public corruption making the possible 2016 presidential hopeful his state's first indicted governor in nearly a century.

I'd like to know why funds should be going to an office headed by a public corrupt official who resisted being arrested for drunken driving and while under custody was not only abusive to the deputies but more importantly was attempting repeatedly to invoke her job title to influence the jailers.

Oh and who is behind the indictment?

The same broad busted for drunken driving that tired to pull influence with her job title in jail?

Yeah, that one.

DenverBrit
08-24-2014, 06:01 PM
I'd like to know why funds should be going to an office headed by a public corrupt official who resisted being arrested for drunken driving and while under custody was not only abusive to the deputies but more importantly was attempting repeatedly to invoke her job title to influence the jailers.

The same broad busted for drunken driving that tired to pull influence with her job title in jail?

Yeah, that one.

Those public funds could have been with withheld without using them, publicly, to try to force her to resign.

Stupid move, but I suspect there has to be more in the background to get that indictment.

nyuk nyuk
08-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Those public funds could have been with withheld without using them, publicly, to try to force her to resign.

Stupid move, but I suspect there has to be more in the background to get that indictment.

She's lost a ton of local support from law enforcement after her antics in jail and the way she treated the officers. I see no problem with not giving a commission against corruption funding when it's headed by a corrupt official. The woman needs to GTFO.

It's not just a matter of her being drunk, it was also the arrogant attitude she displayed when in custody and the way she kept saying, "Do you know who I am??" as if to intimidate people.

peacepipe
08-24-2014, 07:31 PM
I'd say you are either stupid or a fool. Take your pick. It's not me ignoring a public official being caught driving drunk and being belligerent to police. That would be you and your ilk.

Even if you look at her in that way,it doesn't change anything. Regardless of your opinion of her or anyone else, perry still is facing a grand jury indictment.

peacepipe
08-24-2014, 07:35 PM

Yeah, that one.

Of course, he will also continue his argument this is another manifestation of partisan politics in Austin. That claim is as misleading as his veto rhetoric. There wasn't a single Democrat involved in the investigation and indictment. In fact, Perry appointed the presiding judge in the case, Billy Ray Stubblefield of the 3rd Judicial District. Stubblefield named retired Judge Bert Richardson of Bexar County (San Antonio) to handle the grand jury investigation, and Richardson picked Mike McCrum to be the special prosecutor in the case. McCrum, who withdrew his name from consideration for U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Texas, had the support of the two Republican Texas U.S. Senators and the state's Democratic officeholders, which hardly makes him a Democratic Party hack. (A Washington gridlock over the confirmation process in the U.S. Senate caused him to withdraw.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-moore/why-rick-perry-will-be-co_b_5686664.html

DenverBrit
08-24-2014, 07:59 PM
She's lost a ton of local support from law enforcement after her antics in jail and the way she treated the officers. I see no problem with not giving a commission against corruption funding when it's headed by a corrupt official. The woman needs to GTFO.

It's not just a matter of her being drunk, it was also the arrogant attitude she displayed when in custody and the way she kept saying, "Do you know who I am??" as if to intimidate people.

If arrogance is grounds for dismissal, then most politicians should be booted.

I'd nominate Perry as a good place to start.

BroncoBeavis
08-25-2014, 07:20 AM

Psssht. Pffffft.

A DA, literally holding the balance of jail or freedom in her hands for her constituents, arbitrarily threatens officers with jail because they dare enforce the law against her? Whilst repeatedly lying to law enforcement officers during their investigation?

That's not corrupt. Just slightly poor taste. LOL

elsid13
09-04-2014, 02:47 AM
really good piece on this

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/03/rick_perry_might_go_away_for_a_long_long_time_what _even_the_liberal_media_isnt_reporting_about_his_i ndictment/

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2014, 08:33 AM
All the Perry apologists sure went quiet all of a sudden.

DenverBrit
09-14-2014, 10:30 AM
really good piece on this

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/03/rick_perry_might_go_away_for_a_long_long_time_what _even_the_liberal_media_isnt_reporting_about_his_i ndictment/

Excellent article.

Of course, his apologists won't read it, or in some cases....:cough:, :cough:, Barry, Hobo, Nyuk etc, still won't understand why Perry has been indicted.

Republicans are key players in pushing this case forward, along with Democrats, but that will be lost on the partisan cry babies who can't comprehend the concept of bi-partisan cooperation.

For once, Texas is showing DC how to act.

cutthemdown
09-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Gov Perry won't lose this case. It has no precedent and the law they are trying to apply is to vague. It has no legs and isn't even close to say something like the Blagovich case.

Guess Who
09-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Excellent article.

Of course, his apologists won't read it, or in some cases....:cough:, :cough:, Barry, Hobo, Nyuk etc, still won't understand why Perry has been indicted.

Republicans are key players in pushing this case forward, along with Democrats, but that will be lost on the partisan cry babies who can't comprehend the concept of bi-partisan cooperation.

For once, Texas is showing DC how to act.

Who cares about this. He will be out of office. I am torn whether I want him in prison or running for the GOP nomination.