PDA

View Full Version : Worse than Watergate: New Revelations from Nixon Tapes

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
How bad a president was Richard Nixon?

On the 40th anniversary of his resignation, a new documentary takes a fresh look at the Nixon tapes to make the case that the already vilified 37th president was not as bad as you may think. ... He was worse.

"The most interesting thing that the American people aren't aware of is the kind of the dirty tricks he pulled on those good events, the things he would hold up as great achievements," said Peter Kunhardt, the director and producer of "Nixon by Nixon: In His Own Words," which debuts Monday on HBO.

"When you begin hearing the behind-the-scenes maneuvering to make those great achievements happen, they were as dirty as the Watergate episode," he continued.

Ken Hughes, the author of a new book about Nixon, "Chasing Shadows," joined Kunhardt for an interview with "Top Line" and said that one of the most shocking recent revelations about Nixon is that he intentionally prolonged the war in Vietnam for political gain.

"He realized if Saigon fell before Election Day 1972, it would take his chances of a second term down with it," Hughes said. "You can hear him discussing that in his keeping the war going, sending more Americans to fight and some to die; and it's for political reasons."

The documentary lays out which aides to Nixon were aware they were being recorded and those who were unaware. Among those who were unaware: Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

"There is I think an extra degree of openness and candor with the people who don't know they are being taped," Hughes said. "Henry Kissinger clearly did not know he was being taped and was very angry about being taped."

Though Kissinger stayed loyal to Nixon until the end, Kunhardt said, the film demonstrates the "awkward position" that Kissinger navigated in his dealings with the "thin-skinned" president.

"He was put in this awkward position of having to be kind of a 'yes man,' and at the same time do his hugely important job at the same time," Kunhardt said.

In one recording featured in the film, Nixon can be heard asking an aide to have Kissinger's phone lines bugged after it's believed the then-secretary of state talked to a reporter without the White House's permission.

"When you watch Nixon turn on him and let his own suspicions and paranoia question Kissinger and whether they're on the same page, you feel sorry for the guy," Kunhardt said of Kissinger. "You realize that Nixon was all about what he believed in, and if you veered of course, you were kind of left to the side."

For more about the new revelations of Nixon's dirty dealings, and to find out what question Hughes would ask Nixon today if he could, check out this episode of "Top Line."

ABC News' Alexandra Dukakis, Tom Thornton, Wayne Boyd, and Gale Marcus contributed to this episode.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players/worse-than-watergate--new-revelations-from-nixon-tapes-40-years-after-resignation-180150338.html

ludo21
08-15-2014, 09:14 AM
I will just watch House of Cards instead.

cutthemdown
08-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Good thing other President since have to be transparent. Oh wait.

Bronco Yoda
08-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Not to mention Nixon opened the doors to China with poorly negotiated trade deals which destroyed millions of US jobs forever. Nixon gave away the store, lock, stock and barrel. He didn't seem to care what a trade deficit would mean to the American economy. You have to ask yourself whether he was really this naive or was something else going on here. You could say it was the beginning of America exporting job for cheap crap coming back. The rest as they say is history.

The country was never the same after this Presidency in so many ways.

Rohirrim
08-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Nixon was a life-long slime-bag and snake in the grass. As Truman said, ”Richard Nixon is a no-good lying bastard. He can lie out of both sides of his mouth at the same time, and if he ever caught himself telling the truth, he’d lie just to keep his hand in…" Or JFK: "He is a filthy, lying son-of-a-bitch, and a very dangerous man.” Or LBJ: ”I may not know much, but I know chicken **** from chicken salad…He’s like a Spanish horse, who runs faster than anyone for the first nine lengths and then turns around and runs backwards. You’ll see — he’ll do something wrong in the end. He always does.” And this , also from LBJ: ”It’s not enough for Nixon to win. He’s going to have to put some people in jail.”

Bronco Yoda
08-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Let's not forget this

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3qpLVTbVHnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Arkie
08-15-2014, 11:34 AM
What could be worse than bugging a couple of buildings? Bugging the entire nation?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 11:40 AM
What could be worse than bugging a couple of buildings? Bugging the entire nation?

L0L.

You say that like Watergate was Tricky Dick's only misdeed.

Rohirrim
08-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Let's not forget this

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3qpLVTbVHnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's amazing to me how Americans don't give a damn about their own history. They think they just woke up and the world is the same as it's always been. Nope. Sorry. People make decisions, and enact policies, that change your life, and the lives of your children, and the direction of the entire country, economically and otherwise. The problem is when ideology gets involved. This is why the U.S. was designed based on models of empiricism and rationality. That's what the Enlightenment was all about, dumping superstition and relying on reason. Ideology short-circuits empiricism. Ideology says, "It's right because I believe it's right." It has nothing to do with whether or not it works.

NorthernistCaliforneeway7
08-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Yeah I watched that doc and my god, what a low life pos. Very fascinating stuff.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah I watched that doc and my god, what a low life pos. Very fascinating stuff.

The list of Nixon's high crimes and misdemeanors is a long one, but what he did to Cambodia was the most heinous, IMO.

NorthernistCaliforneeway7
08-15-2014, 12:17 PM
The list of Nixon's high crimes and misdemeanors is a long one, but what he did to Cambodia was the most heinous, IMO.

Yeah that was ****ing disgusting. He should have been in prison for most of the things he did.

Bronco Yoda
08-15-2014, 12:17 PM
The funny thing is IMO 'Watergate' was nothing. Not compared to all the truly serious **** that happened during that time. It's almost as if Watergate was some sort of political false flag. Am I the only one who may think this?

Look over here people and be outraged!!!!

Don't look over there at the changed healthcare system... or the disastrous foreign trade agreements... or the new fiat money system... or....

... look at the big bad taping scandel instead.

I don't think Americans truly appreciate or understand how fundamentally our country changed around 1970 in every possibly way. I bet Historians will look back at some point and point to this time as the birth of a new nation. JMO anyway...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 12:21 PM
It's amazing to me how Americans don't give a damn about their own history. They think they just woke up and the world is the same as it's always been. Nope. Sorry. People make decisions, and enact policies, that change your life, and the lives of your children, and the direction of the entire country, economically and otherwise. The problem is when ideology gets involved. This is why the U.S. was designed based on models of empiricism and rationality. That's what the Enlightenment was all about, dumping superstition and relying on reason. Ideology short-circuits empiricism. Ideology says, "It's right because I believe it's right." It has nothing to do with whether or not it works.

They probably don't give a damn because, at some level, they realize the version of history they've been sold by their "elders and betters" is a crock of sh*t.

They don't want to have to look at the reality that America is just another European colony established through genocide and slavery.

Rohirrim
08-15-2014, 12:31 PM
The funny thing is IMO 'Watergate' was nothing. Not compared to all the truly serious **** that happened during that time. It's almost as if Watergate was some sort of political false flag. Am I the only one who may think this?

Don't look over there at the changed healthcare system... or the disastrous foreign trade agreements... or the new fiat money system... or....

I don't think Americans truly appreciate or understand how fundamentally our country changed around 1970 in every possibly way. I bet Historians will look back at some point and point to this time as the birth of a new nation. JMO anyway...

And Phase II, the Reagan Revolution, was even worse.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 12:35 PM

Yep - it's reasonable to assume Watergate was a false flag of sorts.

Tricky Dick's bombing of Cambodia and his deliberate prolongation of the Vietnam war for his own political gain were certainly far more heinous crimes.

The war itself sort of marked the rise of the military industrial complex as we know it today (read: an apparatus that facilitates an upward redistribution of the nation's wealth.) Vietnam sucked a lot of the prosperity of the 1950s out of the middle class and transferred it to the usual suspects, i.e., banksters and defense contractors.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Yeah that was ****ing disgusting. He should have been in prison for most of the things he did.

It's even more disgusting to me, personally, after spending some time traveling through Cambodia.

The people I met there were all so gracious, welcoming, polite, and kind to me when they had every reason to hate Americans.

Nixon didn't merely bomb the sh*t out of their country for his own personal political gain - the resulting political destabilization and power vacuum opened the door for the Khmer Rouge which, in turn, wiped out half of the population (not an exaggeration.)

BroncoLifer
08-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Or LBJ: ”I may not know much, but I know chicken **** from chicken salad…He’s like a Spanish horse, who runs faster than anyone for the first nine lengths and then turns around and runs backwards. You’ll see — he’ll do something wrong in the end. He always does.” And this , also from LBJ: ”It’s not enough for Nixon to win. He’s going to have to put some people in jail.”

Nixon was a POS but when LBJ opens his mouth, it's like hearing Kim Il-sung b*tch about Pol Pot.

Rohirrim
08-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Nixon was a POS but when LBJ opens his mouth, it's like hearing Kim Il-sung b*tch about Pol Pot.

I just find it interesting that those who were his contemporaries use the same word to describe him: Liar.

BroncoBeavis
08-15-2014, 02:38 PM
And Phase II, the Reagan Revolution, was even worse.

You should really throw out some kind of phoneticized Parrot squawk before and after these statements of yours. :)

Rohirrim
08-15-2014, 03:15 PM
You should really throw out some kind of phoneticized Parrot squawk before and after these statements of yours. :)

If you don't believe me, just ask Reagan's Director of OMB, David Stockman.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5433025978_4518a02711.jpg

mhgaffney
08-15-2014, 05:17 PM

An estimated 900,000 Cambodians died -- we dropped more bombs on this agricultural country than were dropped in WW II.

The bombing and our CIA overthrow of Price Sihanouk led to the rise of Pol Pot and the killing fields -- another 2 million dead.

Add to that untold dead Laotians -- hundreds of thousands probably -- and 3-4 million dead Vietnamese.

Not to mention 58,000 dead American GIS, and at least 100,000 more dead from suicide.

Oh and don't forget the destruction of thousands of square miles of tropical rainforest -- much of which has never recovered.

The children of the region continue to die from land mines, how many years later?

You'd of thought we'd have learned our lesson -- but Wall Street wants to do it again -- with Russia.

Insanity.

MHG

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 06:12 PM
You'd of thought we'd have learned our lesson -- but Wall Street wants to do it again -- with Russia.

Insanity.

MHG

As long as there's big money to be made and they know their kids will never be deployed, then they couldn't give a tinker's f*** less.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-15-2014, 06:15 PM
If you don't believe me, just ask Reagan's Director of OMB, David Stockman.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5433025978_4518a02711.jpg

Not gonna happen.

Cletus is too emotionally invested in the Saint Ron myth.

He swallows the right-wing propaganda because it makes him feel good - not because it's true or false.

nyuk nyuk
08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Odd --- Benghazi is "old news" but this isn't.

nyuk nyuk
08-19-2014, 03:41 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/152mkh4.jpg

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 05:18 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/152mkh4.jpg

Actually, when the House voted in the affirmative to impeach him, it was for obstruction of justice, abuse of power, criminal cover-up and several violations of the Constitution.

Rohirrim
08-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Odd --- Benghazi is "old news" but this isn't.

Maybe we should launch another investigation? Ha!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Actually, when the House voted in the affirmative to impeach him, it was for obstruction of justice, abuse of power, criminal cover-up and several violations of the Constitution.

Yep.

Were Nyuk/DramaLlama not so clueless re: history (or had he bothered to read the article) he'd understand Watergate was the least of Tricky Dick's crimes.

nyuk nyuk
08-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Thanks, that totally vindicates Obama.

barryr
08-22-2014, 07:30 PM
You know Obama sucks when his fans still talk about Nixon.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
08-23-2014, 04:12 AM

^

Oh, look - it's like a ditto monkey roll call.

You know Tricky Dick must have been quite the crook when, 40 years later, new revelations re: his high crimes and misdemeanors are still coming.

And just when barryr thought he only had to worry about covering Saint Ron and Dim Son's flank...

nyuk nyuk
08-24-2014, 03:06 PM

They're angry Nixon got us out of their quagmire called Vietnam, maybe?

Rohirrim
08-24-2014, 03:46 PM
They're angry Nixon got us out of their quagmire called Vietnam, maybe?

What a hero!

President Johnson had at the time a habit of recording all of his phone conversations, and newly released tapes from 1968 detailed that the FBI had “bugged” the telephones of the South Vietnamese ambassador and of Anna Chennault, one of Nixon’s aides. Based on the tapes, says Taylor for the BBC, we learn that in the time leading up to the Paris Peace talks, “Chennault was despatched to the South Vietnamese embassy with a clear message: the South Vietnamese government should withdraw from the talks, refuse to deal with Johnson, and if Nixon was elected, they would get a much better deal.” The Atlantic Wire:

In the recently released tapes, we can hear Johnson being told about Nixon’s interference by Defence Secretary Clark Clifford. The FBI had bugged the South Vietnamese ambassadors phone. They had Chennault lobbying the ambassador on tape. Johnson was justifiably furious — he ordered Nixon’s campaign be placed under FBI surveillance. Johnson passed along a note to Nixon that he knew about the move. Nixon played like he had no idea why the South backed out, and offered to travel to Saigon to get them back to the negotiating table.

Though the basic story of Nixon’s involvement in stalling the Vietnam peace talks has been around before, the new tapes, says the Atlantic Wire, describe how President Johnson knew all about the on-goings but chose not to bring them to the public’s attention: he thought that his intended successor, Hubert Humphrey, was going to beat Nixon in the upcoming election anyway. And, by revealing that he knew about Nixon’s dealings, he’d also have to admit to having spied on the South Vietnamese ambassador.

Eventually, Nixon won by just 1 percent of the popular vote. “Once in office he escalated the war into Laos and Cambodia, with the loss of an additional 22,000 American lives, before finally settling for a peace agreement in 1973 that was within grasp in 1968,” says the BBC.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nixon-prolonged-vietnam-war-for-political-gainand-johnson-knew-about-it-newly-unclassified-tapes-suggest-3595441/#Om02zVVU7Peppp6F.99

Dumbass.

Like his contemporaries pointed out, biggest scumbag liar to ever inhabit the WH.