PDA

View Full Version : Lauren Bacall dead....

Mogulseeker
08-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm starting to believe this 'comes in threes' nonesense.

She was 89 years old, which is pretty remarkable considering she spent most of her life sucking back a pack of cigs a day.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/08/12/reports-legendary-actress-lauren-bacall-has-died-at-89/13974973/

I was a big fan of the work Bacall did with Humphrey Bogart, because they obviously had great chemistry.

She acted right up to the end doing an indie short-film directed by Natalie Portman titled "Eve" in 2008:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xkqpys" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkqpys_eve-dirigida-por-natalie-portman_shortfilms" target="_blank">Eve. Dirigida por Natalie Portman.</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Bolboretayuna" target="_blank">Bolboretayuna</a></i>

Bronc0guy
08-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Who's going to be the third? Or has there already been three and I'm forgetting someone?

Archer81
08-12-2014, 05:52 PM
An actor from Game of Thrones died.

:Broncos:

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
08-12-2014, 06:33 PM
An actor from Game of Thrones died.

:Broncos:

Yep. JJ Murphy.

From Deadline:

Veteran Northern Ireland actor JJ Murphy has died, just four days after shooting his first scenes for the fifth season of HBO’s Game Of Thrones. Murphy collapsed and died Friday, according to the Belfast Telegraph and other media reports. A cause of death was not immediately announced. He was 86. Murphy was cast last month as Ser Denys Mallister, the oldest member of the Night’s Watch. GOT creators and executive producers D.B. Weiss and David Benioff said the role will not be recast. “We will not be recasting J.J. Murphy. He was a lovely man, and the best Denys Mallister we could have hoped for. And now his watch is ended,” they said in a statement.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/jj-murphy-dead-game-of-thrones-817281/

Rohirrim
08-12-2014, 06:36 PM
"You do know how to whistle, don't you?..."

IndelibleScribe
08-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Well damn, 3 it is.

Miss I.
08-12-2014, 07:03 PM
A beautiful woman. RIP. I hope you and Bogie are together somewhere together if such a thing is possible.

broncosteven
08-12-2014, 07:08 PM
She was hot all the way to the end.

"You remember how to whistle don't you Steve? Just put your lips together and blow."

There was a late 70's movie she was in where she was stalked by a kid in his 20's, the script was bad but she was great in it. Too bad Hollywood didn't give her more work.

Mogulseeker
08-12-2014, 10:42 PM
She was hot all the way to the end.

"You remember how to whistle don't you Steve? Just put your lips together and blow."

There was a late 70's movie she was in where she was stalked by a kid in his 20's, the script was bad but she was great in it. Too bad Hollywood didn't give her more work.

I'm not normally one to complaining about moved threads - there are rules and reasons for it. But with all due respect to Robin Williams (and the Game of Thrones actor whom this thread became about), Bacall's influence on American pop culture is greater than the other two... it's just that her heyday was in the 40s and 50s.

Miss I.
08-13-2014, 02:49 AM
I'm not normally one to complaining about moved threads - there are rules and reasons for it. But with all due respect to Robin Williams (and the Game of Thrones actor whom this thread became about), Bacall's influence on American pop culture is greater than the other two... it's just that her heyday was in the 40s and 50s.

I concur that I don't understand why this thread was moved with Robin's wasn't and frankly Robin's has turned into some kind of bitchfest which is sad but not surprising on this board. I am not certain though that you could accurately say his impact on pop culture was less significant than hers. I think they both were significant. I say that knowing how much I loved her work and liked how she had a no apology outlook about her life and aging. She had a grace, dignity and beauty that I don't believe any current movie stars have. And she was part of what I think of is such a great love story with Bogart. It's hard not to smile when I think of that story. I thank her for some amazing entertainment (I do love 40s films) and hope her family finds solace and consolation.

GreatBronco16
08-13-2014, 05:53 AM
Ok, so why is this thread moved to the Off Topic Forum, but the one about Robin Williams is still in the general discussion forum?

TDmvp
08-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Ok, so why is this thread moved to the Off Topic Forum, but the one about Robin Williams is still in the general discussion forum?

/agree ... Kinda lame . Rip threads and holiday / memorial threads trump on season mode.

Weak sauce ...

Pick Six
08-14-2014, 12:50 PM
While I'm not a moderator, I'll take a guess as to why this was moved. Robin Williams' death spoke to greater issues of depression and suicide. Bacall's death, while sad, was the result of her living a normal life span and doing what every other person will end up doing...ceasing to exist, on Earth...

Arkie
08-14-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't know why the Tebow thread was moved. Floyd Little and any number of former broncos can stay on the main page. Even the occasional threads about guys like Ryan Leaf or Marinovich or Aaron Hernandez are NFL related. The Tebow thread even had "NFL" in the title. One of the mods thought it was getting too much traffic and put a stop to that discussion.

Sorry they moved your NFL thread, Kevin8Nine