PDA

View Full Version : OT- Fitness Band

phibacka31
02-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Hey all, I wanted to get an opinion on anyone who's had any of the following or used another product and loved/hated the product and reasoning. I am looking at getting one for myself March 7th for my B-day Thanks:

Nike Fuelband
FitBit
Jawbone
Basis

Thanks in advance!^5

misturanderson
02-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Hey all, I wanted to get an opinion on anyone who's had any of the following or used another product and loved/hated the product and reasoning. I am looking at getting one for myself March 7th for my B-day Thanks:

Nike Fuelband
FitBit
Jawbone
Basis

Thanks in advance!^5

I've used the Jawbone Up and Nike Fuelband.

Fuelband:
Pros: -design and form factor, probably the best looking one and has a large, useful display (including a watch) on the band
-Durable, I had mine for a year and it took surfing twice with mine (you aren't supposed to submerge it, but showering, etc. is fine) to break it. Luckily I got a new one under warranty because mine broke like a month before the warranty was up.
Cons: -If you don't have an iPhone to synch to you have to connect to your computer's USB to upload the data and view your day-to-day workouts, no other options.
-The features are just pretty slim in comparison to the Up, you basically get a pedometer and some calculated stats based on the pedometer.
-I also don't feel like it does a very good job of registering activity. Before a firmware update it would register a night of drinking beer as a marathon essentially and now it seems like it doesn't register activity that it should.

Jawbone UP (I got one when they first came out):
Pros: -The features and software are just head and shoulders more useful than the Fuelband's. Sleep tracking with vibrating alarm feature, you can set the band to exercise mode which takes more frequent readings and gives you a more in-depth view of your work-outs, I just like the activity graphs better than the fuelband's. I'm pretty sure they have an android app, but not positive.
Cons: -When they first came out, they broke basically every 2 months, I had 2 break in the first 3 months I had mine before I just gave up. I have no idea if they fixed it, so definitely research that.
-The band doesn't look as good as the fuelband, doesn't have a display and has to be physically connected to your phone (as opposed to the fuelband connecting to iOS devices via bluetooth) and the cap that goes over the connector falls off somewhat easily, so be careful.

I honestly think I would prefer the UP from the standpoint of having a real fitness tracker (assuming they've fixed the durability issue) while the fuelband is more of an overpriced, futuristic watch (even more so if you don't have an iPhone to synch it to, I really don't feel the need to connect it to my computer except to charge and since I got a new phone I basically never look at my activity data).

misturanderson
02-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Also, as an aside, there were a ton of cool fitness tracker/smartwatch combo products that were shown off at CES this year that looked pretty awesome. I'm not sure how soon any of them are coming out, but it almost would be worth waiting to see if any better products come out in the next few months.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/best-fitness-trackers-ces-2014-1431719

Rabb
02-13-2014, 08:29 AM
I have a fitbit (flex) and my fiancee has one as well (one). We also have the Aria scale. I don't have any experience with other things like this, but I can say I absolutely love it and so does she. It integrates with My Fitness Pal easily, so you can track just about everything. It syncs with other apps like Map my Run, etc.

Syncs with my iphone, Samsung tablet...and hers syncs with her tablet and android phone. It's pretty damn slick. For guys the only thing I would suggest is a flex or something with a wrist band. The one my woman has clips on, so for women it's not a big deal to keep it on their bra or whatever but if you don't mind wristbands, I hardly know mine is there most of the time plus mine I can shower with, hers you can't. They also track sleep which is pretty interesting.

The Aria scale syncs weight, BMI and body fat % straight to your respective account, and it can handle multiple accounts so her and I can use it pretty seamlessly.

Anyway, hope that helps. As I type this I realize how ****ed I'll be once Skynet takes over.

phibacka31
02-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Also, I've looked at the smart matches as well lilt the Nike+ GPS watch. Any info on any of these type of devices?

DENVERDUI55
02-13-2014, 09:06 AM
I have always used garmins for my training. I run bike and swim.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-13-2014, 10:41 AM
It all depends on the type of fitness you do. I use the fuel band cause I have an iPhone and mostly do activities that require arm movement. The newer fuel bands are clearly more accurate with less tech problems.

broncocalijohn
02-13-2014, 11:21 AM
If you are in charge of getting Fitbit items, contact me. I sell them on Amazon but would cut 10% off since they charge me for selling on the site. I get returns from lazy butts that decide they don't want to workout or don't use a computer. I do like their website page as it is easy to sync and tracks your workout.

Anyway you go, good luck.

Irish Stout
02-13-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm still using my garmin forerunner 305 from 2006. I have no idea about what the other things do, but the forerunner is greater for running, biking and skiing (if you want to track that). Its easy enough to use, all data can be found on the watch. Workouts are easy to set up and distances seem to be really accurate. Also syncs all the info easily to the comp.

So… that doesn't address your question at all.

phibacka31
02-13-2014, 12:50 PM
I like the Fuelband, but I like the idea of the sleep tracker. Not sure how reliable/useful it is but sounds nice. Thanks for the early feedback!

phibacka31
02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
It all depends on the type of fitness you do. I use the fuel band cause I have an iPhone and mostly do activities that require arm movement. The newer fuel bands are clearly more accurate with less tech problems.

Do you ever wish you had the sleep tracker on the band?

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Do you ever wish you had the sleep tracker on the band?

The new fuel SE bands have a sessions feature that tracks sleep on the app. It's more or less just tracking the amount of time you sleep and move though. Doesn't track your heavy or light sleeping.

Its def good to have the app cause it stores all your activity by fuel points, winning the hour, sessions, etc

Mogulseeker
02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
I have pro deal access to Suunto through work.

Not sure what they're all about, but I'm definitely going to look into it.

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/

ghwk
02-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Bumping.

Anyone using any of these? I am considering the new Fitbit HR but am wondering if it's overkill. Friend of mine has the Jawbone 24 and likes it.

maher_tyler
02-08-2015, 12:08 PM
I have a fitbit (flex) and my fiancee has one as well (one). We also have the Aria scale. I don't have any experience with other things like this, but I can say I absolutely love it and so does she. It integrates with My Fitness Pal easily, so you can track just about everything. It syncs with other apps like Map my Run, etc.

Syncs with my iphone, Samsung tablet...and hers syncs with her tablet and android phone. It's pretty damn slick. For guys the only thing I would suggest is a flex or something with a wrist band. The one my woman has clips on, so for women it's not a big deal to keep it on their bra or whatever but if you don't mind wristbands, I hardly know mine is there most of the time plus mine I can shower with, hers you can't. They also track sleep which is pretty interesting.

The Aria scale syncs weight, BMI and body fat % straight to your respective account, and it can handle multiple accounts so her and I can use it pretty seamlessly.

Anyway, hope that helps. As I type this I realize how ****ed I'll be once Skynet takes over.

I concur with this completely. Just bought a Charge HR for myself and my wife. Easy to set up. Plan on buying the scale as well. Scale is like $130 but can't wait to be able to check my body fat etc when ever a feel like it. The band i have has a heart rate monitor, it tracks steps, sleeping patterns, calories burned, flights of stairs climbed. You can also set up a silent alarm through the dashboard. The band just vibrates on your wrist for the set time. It easily syncs up with the app on my iPhone. Overall i'm impressed. Only had mine for a few days but i'd recommend it to anyone.

maher_tyler
02-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Bumping.

Anyone using any of these? I am considering the new Fitbit HR but am wondering if it's overkill. Friend of mine has the Jawbone 24 and likes it.

It's worth the extra $20 imo. When you're sleeping it calculates you're resting heart rate. Seems like the calorie tracker would be more accurate with the HR monitor...not sure though.

jutang
02-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I use the fitbit flex for average daily activities, when I work out I use the polar HR Bluetooth chest strap and sync it with my phone app called icardio, and for my diet my fitness pal. All 3 sync with each other so it gives me a good idea on my caloric balance. Thinking of upgrading to fitbit charge HR but reviews say HR becomes inaccurate for high intensity activities so I won't be ditching the chest strap anytime soon.

Ray Finkle
02-08-2015, 04:58 PM
I've got a Fitbit but I use it as a gauge to how active I've been during the day. I really like the sleep monitor, overall Im happy with it.

BroncosMT
02-09-2015, 06:56 AM
I have the Fitbit Charge! I really like it for the pedometer, calories, etc. The only thing that I don't like is when you set it for either arm and say you are sitting at your desk and you move the arm that its on it counts the movements as steps. Other than that the sleep tracker is cool and very informative. Plus you can track meals etc.

Kaylore
02-09-2015, 07:02 AM
I bought a pretty expensive tracker with the chest monitor and used it for a week to test all my exercises and compare against the machines. Most were pretty close and a few were under-estimating my calorie expenditure. So I just returned it to Sports Authority because my phone app was pretty close to accurate based on what I was entering.