PDA

View Full Version : Should the Broncos draft Michael Sam?

BowlenBall
02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Felt that the main thread on this was missing a poll -- how would you feel if the Broncos picked Sam at a reasonable spot in the draft (say, 3rd or 4th round)?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-10-2014, 08:53 AM
If, after the workouts and film study and everything else is completed, if the team thinks he can help the team win, then yes, they should. I don't care about pr and what I would mean for the community. If he can play, I want him in Denver.

He seems like a pretty good player. Might be a tweener. Might be a perfect fit.

Ray Finkle
If he can help the team win, I could care less if he like men.

theAPAOps5
Poll questions suck. Count me as could care less. Don't care about his private life and not sure about his play.

Beantown Bronco
02-10-2014, 08:55 AM
I'd be absolutely shocked if he made it past the Pats in round 3 (unless of course he suffers an injury and/or tanks every workout between then and now).

BowlenBall
02-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Poll questions suck. Count me as could care less. Don't care about his private life and not sure about his play.

The poll questions suck because you're ignorant about the play of the SEC defensive player of the year?

hmmm...

Rabb
02-10-2014, 08:58 AM
If, after the workouts and film study and everything else is completed, if the team thinks he can help the team win, then yes, they should. I don't care about pr and what I would mean for the community. If he can play, I want him in Denver.

He seems like a pretty good player. Might be a tweener. Might be a perfect fit.

+1

theAPAOps5
02-10-2014, 08:58 AM
The poll questions suck because you're ignorant about the play of the SEC defensive player of the year?

hmmm...

No because if you don't care there is no option. Not my fault you suck at making polls

BowlenBall
02-10-2014, 09:02 AM
No because if you don't care there is no option. Not my fault you suck at making polls

The "not caring" option is simply not posting in a thread you don't care about....:oyvey:

crush17
02-10-2014, 09:03 AM
doonnnnnn't caaaaaaarrrrreee

Can he tackle, read the play, and drop into coverage like a good LB is supposed to?

GREAT! Sign him up!

theAPAOps5
02-10-2014, 09:04 AM
The "not caring" option is simply not posting in a thread you don't care about....:oyvey:

Cool story, bro.

****ty poll

Jason in LA
02-10-2014, 09:04 AM
If he's the best player on their draft board when they're picking, they better take him. If they have a player rated higher than him, then they better take that player. It's as simple as that.

Pony Boy
02-10-2014, 09:05 AM

You sure say suck a lot ........:rofl:

theAPAOps5
02-10-2014, 09:06 AM

LOL

Touché

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Is he LB or DE?

BowlenBall
02-10-2014, 09:07 AM

http://images.cafepress.com/image/50137867_400x400.jpg

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Thread really needs a 'I don't care at all about the sexual orientation and if he's good value when the team is up then by all means yes' option.

rmsanger
02-10-2014, 09:08 AM
wouldn't be the first instance

http://www.back2stonewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Tim-Tebow-gay.png

theAPAOps5
02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Is he LB or DE?

DE

He is a prolific pass rusher.... In college. But not having watched every game he played and relying on website reports, before he came out, he sounds like a one trick pony with the speed rush.

So that is why I say don't care. If he is there in later rounds great, get him. But I don't care about the PR crap or his sexuality. There is not option for those who don't care.

Choices....... Blow :)

theAPAOps5
02-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Thread really needs a 'I don't care at all about the sexual orientation and if he's good value when the team is up then by all means yes' option.

No stupid, you are just ignorant about the SEC and should not participate in this public thread as your vote then. Stupid!

Yeah the poll choices are lame.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 09:23 AM
DE

He is a prolific pass rusher.... In college. But not having watched every game he played and relying on website reports, before he came out, he sounds like a one trick pony with the speed rush.

So that is why I say don't care. If he is there in later rounds great, get him. But I don't care about the PR crap or his sexuality. There is not option for those who don't care.

Choices....... Blow :)

I'm with you on that

Navy Broncos Fan
02-10-2014, 09:23 AM
If he is the best player available.

HILife
02-10-2014, 09:31 AM
If he can help the team, and is the BPA at the pick, bring him in.

Donk
02-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Is Sam a tight end?

B-Large
02-10-2014, 09:39 AM
If he helps us beat SF or SEA in the next Super Bowl.

Of Course

Smilin Assassin
02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Position of need and showed ability to dominate at a high level (SEC). I watched him vs South Carolina and Texas A&M. This kid can bring it when it matters. Reminds me a lot of Dumervil.

I could care less what his sexuality is.

BowlenBall
02-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Position of need and showed ability to dominate at a high level (SEC). I watched him vs South Carolina and Texas A&M. This kid can bring it when it matters. Reminds me a lot of Dumervil.

I could care less what his sexuality is.

Interesting -- you think he could fit on our D-line at defensive end, or is he too small?

TD4HOF
02-10-2014, 09:58 AM
OMG he likes men keep him off my team!!!!

Just kidding. Bring him in!

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Put Von at DE. He wants to play at a bigger weight anyways.

Punisher
02-10-2014, 10:08 AM
No i don't like gay people I'll protest lol

razorwire77
02-10-2014, 10:17 AM
If he was a Von Miller caliber talent. . .a guy that had game-changing abilities to make the Denver Broncos' defense substantially better, I'd be all for it. Could care less if he's gay or straight.

That being said, he's not. He's probably at best a 3rd round graded talent, a guy that might make a roster as a rotational pass-rusher. I really don't want the franchise to go through Tebow 2.0 with this kid, especially, if the reward isn't a star player on the field. I do think what he's doing takes serious balls and I wish him the best. Hope he makes roster, just not the roster of a team coming off one of the most embarrassing losses in SB history. Team is going to be under enough scrutiny going into the off-season.

OldschoolFreak
02-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Maybe good value on the board if any sort of bigotry leads to a slide? As a player...obviously dominant in college but weirdly small for DE. Maybe the Doom comparison is relevant but Doom thrived because of his freakishly long arms.

I've read he likely lacks the speed for OLB but I wonder if he he has the skills to move inside to Mike?

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 11:00 AM
If he was a Von Miller caliber talent. . .a guy that had game-changing abilities to make the Denver Broncos' defense substantially better, I'd be all for it. Could care less if he's gay or straight.

That being said, he's not. He's probably at best a 3rd round graded talent, a guy that might make a roster as a rotational pass-rusher. I really don't want the franchise to go through Tebow 2.0 with this kid, especially, if the reward isn't a star player on the field. I do think what he's doing takes serious balls and I wish him the best. Hope he makes roster, just not the roster of a team coming off one of the most embarrassing losses in SB history. Team is going to be under enough scrutiny going into the off-season.
You realize the 'circus' would be larger if he were a superstar gay athlete, right?

Jetmeck
02-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Don't understand why the guy comes out. Its certainly not going to help his value and will prob hurt him. You may not like it but thats the way things are.

Beantown Bronco
02-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Don't understand why the guy comes out. Its certainly not going to help his value and will prob hurt him. You may not like it but thats the way things are.

I thought the exact opposite when I first heard the news. Unless he was a consensus high first round pick, it most certainly COULD help him.

Plenty of teams would love the PR associated with bringing in the first gay NFL player and I'm sure there are at least a few that don't want to deal with the negative backlash associated with not even considering drafting such a player if he was a consensus 2nd or 3rd round pick before the announcement.

razorwire77
02-10-2014, 11:32 AM
You realize the 'circus' would be larger if he were a superstar gay athlete, right?

Of course, but that would be offset by the benefits of a superstar's on field performance.

I don't think Sam the NFL football prospect is good enough to offset the negatives of the media circus that will follow him. I don't think this team needs any more distractions than the myriad distractions and side stories that will come as a result of ****ting the bed in the SB.

If Denver believes benefit of him as a player outweighs the distractions, than go ahead and pull the trigger. I do hope the kid sticks on a roster.

Bronco Yoda
02-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Just think of all the possible 'Sam I Am' rhymes.

Do it!

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Of course, but that would be offset by the benefits of a superstar's on field performance.

I don't think Sam the NFL football prospect is good enough to offset the negatives of the media circus that will follow him. I don't think this team needs any more distractions than the myriad distractions and side stories that will come as a result of ****ting the bed in the SB.

If Denver believes benefit of him as a player outweighs the distractions, than go ahead and pull the trigger. I do hope the kid sticks on a roster.
Have you considered the possibility that maybe he could be really good, really gay and not much of a 'distraction' whatsoever?

broncswin
02-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Bring that gay bastard in...I wanna see him manhandle guys...but no sucking, that would be a wasted pick!

Connecticut Bronco Fan
02-10-2014, 12:05 PM
He should be judged by the penetration he gets on the field, not off it.

razorwire77
02-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Have you considered the possibility that maybe he could be really good, really gay and not much of a 'distraction' whatsoever?

He could certainly be a good or even great football player. I have my doubts, based on the one year wonder phenomenon and the level of competition where he put up the bulk of his numbers. I've been wrong before though. If he could help this franchise erase the embarrassment of last week, I could care less if he's really, fabulously, super duper, shiny gay.

He strikes me as being a pretty intelligent and decent individual. I don't think he would intend to be a distraction, but rather the media echo chamber would force the distraction onto the franchise much like what happened with the Tebow situation.

BroncoBeavis
02-10-2014, 12:10 PM

While his agents deliberate over whether the cover of ESPN the magazine or Time is better for his 'career'

http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/9/5396036/michael-sam-gay-football-player-missouri-nfl-draft

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't get the Tebow comparisons at all.

You're talking about one of the greatest college football players ever at the premiere position. You're talking about somebody whose lifestyle, background, beliefs and choices were starkly unlike the vast majority of players at any position and any talent level, much less those at the very top of the pile. You're talking about a guy who was considered for the Heisman three straight times after winning the award as a true sophomore and a two-time National Championship winner. You're talking about a guy who, despite all of that success, created an atomic newsbomb simply by being drafted in the first round due to his enormous amount of critics and then went on to have an NFL career that took all of the previous polarization to unseen, ridiculously retarded new levels.

Then you're comparing him to a guy who by your own standards was a one-year wonder that many had never heard about prior to his senior season and who feasted against lesser competition. This is a guy who is such a media firestorm that his coming out to the entire team at the start of what would end up being a surprise top-ten season didn't register on anybody's radar until just now.

Seems pretty ridiculous, honestly.

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
While his agents deliberate over whether the cover of ESPN the magazine or Time is better for his 'career'

http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/9/5396036/michael-sam-gay-football-player-missouri-nfl-draft
Yeah, stuff like this is not how I think these things should be done.

Perhaps it might be wise to put my most recent post on hold for awhile.

BroncoBeavis
02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Then you're comparing him to a guy who by your own standards was a one-year wonder that many had never heard about prior to his senior season and who feasted against lesser competition. This is a guy who is such a media firestorm that his coming out to the entire team at the start of what would end up being a surprise top-ten season didn't register on anybody's radar until just now.

And who was heavily featured on every network morning show this morning.

The central question is very similar. Will his media presence outshine his talent? I think in Timmy's case, the answer was eventually found.

With Michael Sam, it's still an open question.

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
I should probably add that I don't really follow sports media whatsoever and haven't watched ESPN since near the beginning of college football season. If the guy is getting major press then all of my assumptions/hopes are going to make me look naive.

BroncoBeavis
02-10-2014, 12:35 PM
I should probably add that I don't really follow sports media whatsoever and haven't watched ESPN since near the beginning of college football season. If the guy is getting major press then all of my assumptions/hopes are going to make me look naive.

Would be surprised if he doesn't have his own crawling feed on the bottom of the screen by now. :)

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 12:36 PM
It was a nice dream, anyway.

Smilin Assassin
02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Interesting -- you think he could fit on our D-line at defensive end, or is he too small?

That's where I see him, at least on 3rd down/nickel packages, anyways. Until he can add some bulk.

He wouldn't be the first DE to be called too small and make it at the pro level. I'd love to see him fall to us in the 4th or 5th round.

Garcia Bronco
02-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Would not draft him. Let him take the gay show some place else. I would have considered him before, but since it seems like he's more worried about where he sticks his dick...pass.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 01:15 PM

I'm not sure on the timing either. He wants to be just one of the guys, yet he just made himself different than the rest of the draft class. Maybe he thinks teams would get info leaked to them about his orientation, and it would go the Kerry Rhodes route...no job. This way, the NFL would look like a bunch of gay hating teams if no one drafts him. The gay groups are already screaming for him to be on every cover every draft show out there.

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure on the timing either. He wants to be just one of the guys, yet he just made himself different than the rest of the draft class. Maybe he thinks teams would get info leaked to them about his orientation, and it would go the Kerry Rhodes route...no job. This way, the NFL would look like a bunch of gay hating teams if no one drafts him. The gay groups are already screaming for him to be on every cover every draft show out there.
Somebody said it in the other thread, but this way he knows that the team who drafts him does so knowing full-well who he is. Announcing now takes away any kind of concern on that end for him with the organization down the road.

Plus, apparently, it makes him famous.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Somebody said it in the other thread, but this way he knows that the team who drafts him does so knowing full-well who he is. Announcing now takes away any kind of concern on that end for him with the organization down the road.

Plus, apparently, it makes him famous.

Ya if it was being leaked at the Senior bowl and he doesn't come out, I bet every team ignores him like Rhodes. By coming out instead of it being leaked it puts the NFL in the spotlight of either being gay friendly if he's drafted, or downright evil bigots in the eyes of the public of he's not.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-10-2014, 01:32 PM
There really is only one question that must be answered, "Can he play?" That's the problem when you make other BS more important than his actual ability. Lets say the Broncos do Draft him, but some bigot opens his big mouth(Which will happen), then he gets cut. It opens the door to BS that the whole team is a bunch of bigots. Just look at the Tebow BS. Everybody made is Christianity bigger than his football ability. The he gets cut and everybody starts this BS about "it a conspiracy against Christians!"

Dr. Broncenstein
02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Dude is a badass football player. I'd draft him.

razorwire77
02-10-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't get the Tebow comparisons at all.

You're talking about one of the greatest college football players ever at the premiere position. You're talking about somebody whose lifestyle, background, beliefs and choices were starkly unlike the vast majority of players at any position and any talent level, much less those at the very top of the pile. You're talking about a guy who was considered for the Heisman three straight times after winning the award as a true sophomore and a two-time National Championship winner. You're talking about a guy who, despite all of that success, created an atomic newsbomb simply by being drafted in the first round due to his enormous amount of critics and then went on to have an NFL career that took all of the previous polarization to unseen, ridiculously retarded new levels.

Seems pretty ridiculous, honestly.

So you don't think ESPN, Fox News, Huffpost, CNN, etc. etc. etc. etc. are going to absolutely inundate the franchise that drafts him with questions for fluff piece after fluff piece after fluff piece? You don't think players are going to get sick of answering the Sam question, like they did the Tebow question? You don't think there are going to be wingnuts that protest and picket whatever team that drafts the kid? The entire thing is going to be one big cluster****. I hope the kid gets a chance and I hope for his success, just don't really want that to be the Denver Bronco franchise, unless of course he's a Von Miller like talent, which he most likely isn't.

razorwire77
02-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Ya if it was being leaked at the Senior bowl and he doesn't come out, I bet every team ignores him like Rhodes. By coming out instead of it being leaked it puts the NFL in the spotlight of either being gay friendly if he's drafted, or downright evil bigots in the eyes of the public of he's not.

Unless of course they just make excuses. His arms were too short, he lacked explosiveness off the line etc. etc. I actually hope the kid destroys the combine so the teams can't make performance based excuses for not drafting him.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Unless of course they just make excuses. His arms were too short, he lacked explosiveness off the line etc. etc. I actually hope the kid destroys the combine so the teams can't make performance based excuses for not drafting him.

That's what I don't get about Rhodes. He's lights out better than anyone who had a need at that position this year. Not one team even brought him in for a look.

razorwire77
02-10-2014, 02:01 PM
That's what I don't get about Rhodes. He's lights out better than anyone who had a need at that position this year. Not one team even brought him in for a look.

Which is what makes me think the kid goes undrafted. You can't tell me Kerry Rhodes isn't a better free safety than Mike Adams or Michael Huff. And he's a known commodity who was still somewhat closeted.

If an openly gay kid had Suh, Von, J.J. Watt, Patrick Peterson type talent than I think that would transcend bias, but NFL teams aren't going to open the Pandora's box of drafting an openly gay player with a 3rd or 4th round grade. They'll simply draft another player with a 3rd or 4th round grade instead. Not saying it's right, just reality.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Which is what makes me think the kid goes undrafted. You can't tell me Kerry Rhodes isn't a better free safety than Mike Adams or Michael Huff. And he's a known commodity who was still somewhat closeted.

If an openly gay kid had Suh, Von, J.J. Watt, Patrick Peterson type talent than I think that would transcend bias, but NFL teams aren't going to open the Pandora's box of drafting an openly gay player with a 3rd or 4th round grade. They'll simply draft another player with a 3rd or 4th round grade instead. Not saying it's right, just reality.

Total agreement there.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM

LOL. All that doesn't matter. The kid could go #1 Overall or undrafted. The second he gets cut or not re-upped. People will come out of the wood works accusing the organization of bigotry regardless of ability to play the game. How long did it take Tebow nut huggers to face the reality that he couldn't play football. 4 YEARS! Now your talking about the media #1 subject of sexuality?!? Forget about it. Any team that picks him up and lets him go will be labeled as bigots and homophobia for years.

Shananahan
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
He ain't going undrafted.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Looks like it wasn't all rosy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mizzou-te-eric-waters-calls-out-proud-sam-teammates-on-twitter-021014

Maybe this player just didnt like him.

Powderaddict
02-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Looks like it wasn't all rosy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mizzou-te-eric-waters-calls-out-proud-sam-teammates-on-twitter-021014

Maybe this player just didnt like him.

It sounds like this player didn't like some of his former teammates talking about Sam behind his back, I'm not seeing where he said anything bad about Sam.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-10-2014, 02:55 PM
It sounds like this player didn't like some of his former teammates talking about Sam behind his back, I'm not seeing where he said anything bad about Sam.

Woops. Meant to put "them" not him.

Punisher
02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
He ain't going undrafted.

Hes a hard hitter :kiss:

Punisher
02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Dude is a badass football player. I'd draft him.

He loves being a badass :-*

Arkie
02-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Just think of all the possible 'Sam I Am' rhymes.

Do it!

Do you like
My legs sprayed with PAM®

I do not like them,
Sam-I-am.

El Minion
02-10-2014, 03:41 PM
He should be judged by the penetration he gets on the field, not off it.

That's what all the ass-holes should worry about

Action
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Can he run the 40 though?

nyuk nyuk
02-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Who cares? Why is this even a topic other than it's the biggest pet cause of the media at the current time?

Guess Who
02-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Who cares? Why is this even a topic other than it's the biggest pet cause of the media at the current time?

It's a huge deal because it has never happened before. Gay players have been living In the shadows and living a lie their whole professional careers. This man isn't and what happens to him will decide how many other players come out. In 3 years maybe this will be no big deal but it is huge right now.

broncosteven
02-10-2014, 08:02 PM

Agreed on both counts.