PDA

View Full Version : All of our losses are blowout losses

Kid A
02-08-2014, 07:53 PM
So we were all shocked that the SB was a blowout; it's been pointed out that Denver had lost by double digits only once in the last two years.

But the truth is that they have been down 14+ in the second half of every single regular season loss (and one crazy win) except this year's game at NE (which was still a second half blowout of another sort):

0 - 20 (Atlanta, 2012)

11 - 31 (Houston, 2012)

7 - 31 (New England, 2012)

0 - 24 (San Diego, 2012)

14 - 33 (Indy, 2013)

7 - 31 in the second half (New England, 2013)

10 - 24 (San Diego, 2013)

Really the only thing that separated the Super Bowl from every other (non-Ravens) loss we've seen recently was the lack of garbage time TDs to clean up the scoreline. The pattern seems to be this team either wins or completely gets their asses handed to them for at least 30 minutes at a time.

Basically, the team with the best regular season record both of the last two seasons has gotten completely steamrolled in about 6 games during that same span. That's weird. Is there any other recent playoff heavyweight with this kind of bad habit?

broncosteven
02-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I thought we blew a 24 point lead vs Pats?

By this reckoning all of Tebows wins were blow out losses as well.

Castinkas
02-08-2014, 08:00 PM
This team seems to be waiting for the sky to fall... when we start to slip we don't stop. Sure we handled the adversity of dealing with injuries and off field stuff but any kind of adversity in a game and we look mentally soft.

broncosteven
02-08-2014, 08:03 PM
The real consistent thing about all our losses is that we turn the ball over (multiple times I believe) and then have to make amazing pushes to get the score close.

Eliminate the turnovers and we have a chance in the SB.

Kid A
02-08-2014, 08:22 PM
I thought we blew a 24 point lead vs Pats?

By this reckoning all of Tebows wins were blow out losses as well.

Including the Pats game probably muddled was I was trying to convey. I guess I was saying that, like most people here, I wasn't shocked Seattle won but was surprised how lopsided it was.

But just looking back at how this team tends to lose, it really wasn't some weird anomaly where they came out "undermotivated" or whatever—this was what we've seen them do several times a year, just this time the Seattle defense was too good to allow a couple late TDs. If we accepted that Seattle had a chance to win, we should have very well known it could be an ass-kicking. This Denver team doesn't go half-retard.

broncosteven
02-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Including the Pats game probably muddled was I was trying to convey. I guess I was saying that, like most people here, I wasn't shocked Seattle won but was surprised how lopsided it was.

But just looking back at how this team tends to lose, it really wasn't some weird anomaly where they came out "undermotivated" or whatever—this was what we've seen them do several times a year, just this time the Seattle defense was too good to allow a couple late TDs. If we accepted that Seattle had a chance to win, we should have very well known it could be an ass-kicking. This Denver team doesn't go half-retard.

One of the few things I hated about Shanny was that there were always at least 2 games a year against an NFC team that you could tell were throw aways. It just seemed like he wasn't going to waste time doing the same type of prep he did for the AFC conference games. His teams would come out flat and just **** the bed. Since Fox has been here we have been in every game, even if we turned it over. Turn it over a lot and on a big stage and show fear and you are going to get what ... we... got here... a failure to score.

go_broncos
02-08-2014, 08:50 PM

you are right..most of our games we play very close...once 2nd half starts, we dominate other teams(Jax, Titans to name a few).
The problem is SEA team is so good we couldn't overcome the slow/sluggish start.

It starts with Fox.This needs to be fixed.

eddie mac
02-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Garbage time TD's??? Dont think so at all, Broncos HT adjustments = excellent for the most part in the last 2 seasons, except for the game in Foxboro.

0 - 20 (Atlanta, 2012) - Broncos closed the gap to 21-27 with 3.29 remaining, couldn't stop Atlanta running out the clock.

11 - 31 (Houston, 2012) - Broncos closed gap to 31-25 with 3 mins remaining once again, defense could only leave 20 secs left with the ball at our 14.

7 - 31 (New England, 2012) - Down 31-21 with 3 mins left McGahee fumbles at NE 11.

0 - 24 (San Diego, 2012) - We won this game by a blowout outscoring SD 35-0 in the 2nd half

14 - 33 (Indy, 2013) - Down 39-30 with just over 3 mins left, Hillman fumbles at the Indy 1 yard line basically killing the game, we still drive again and kick a FG

7 - 31 in the second half (New England, 2013) - This was a woeful 2nd half performance

10 - 24 (San Diego, 2013) - One of very few bad performances in 2013

Kid A
02-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Garbage time TD's??? Dont think so at all, Broncos HT adjustments = excellent for the most part in the last 2 seasons, except for the game in Foxboro.

0 - 20 (Atlanta, 2012) - Broncos closed the gap to 21-27 with 3.29 remaining, couldn't stop Atlanta running out the clock.

11 - 31 (Houston, 2012) - Broncos closed gap to 31-25 with 3 mins remaining once again, defense could only leave 20 secs left with the ball at our 14.

7 - 31 (New England, 2012) - Down 31-21 with 3 mins left McGahee fumbles at NE 11.

0 - 24 (San Diego, 2012) - We won this game by a blowout outscoring SD 35-0 in the 2nd half

14 - 33 (Indy, 2013) - Down 39-30 with just over 3 mins left, Hillman fumbles at the Indy 1 yard line basically killing the game, we still drive again and kick a FG

7 - 31 in the second half (New England, 2013) - This was a woeful 2nd half performance

"Garbage" may have been underselling it on my end. Obviously closing those deficits that often is a testament to Manning and the rest of the team's ability. But the trend is the same—the tight finishes cover up just how godawful Denver looked for most of those games.

Those "scoreboard close" losses are kind of analogous to the SD and NE playoff wins we just had—Denver totally dominated both games but let them get nervy toward the end after a couple late TDs. Whether that's "garbage time" or just good QBs finally heating up against softer coverage, it is what it is.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. San Fran's first two losses this year were blowouts (without a late rally). But tying it into the Super Bowl loss, I just see now that going down 22 at the half shouldn't have been as big a shock as it felt like at the time.

TonyR
02-09-2014, 09:38 AM
...But the truth is that they have been down 14+ in the second half of every single regular season loss (and one crazy win) except this year's game at NE (which was still a second half blowout of another sort)...

And I'd be willing to bet that Manning getting more pressured than "normal" was a factor in most or all of those games, along with turnovers.

eddie mac
02-09-2014, 10:10 AM
And I'd be willing to bet that Manning getting more pressured than "normal" was a factor in most or all of those games, along with turnovers.
Isn't that always the case though Tony? If a defense can get consistent pressure on a QB, 9 times out of 10 he's gonna lose that game unless of course you have an outstanding running game or an outstanding defense yourself.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-09-2014, 11:09 AM
A blow out loss is domination from beginning to end. Not giving the other team any type of success during any point. Those games weren't that most of them ended with TOs and still had a chance in the 4th.

eddie mac
02-10-2014, 07:24 PM
The only game we haven't been really in during the past 2 seasons was the ****ing Superbowl. Typical eh.

DENVERDUI55
02-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Eliminate the turnovers and we have a chance in the SB.

Chance? Denver wins easily. I said all 2 weeks the only way Seattle wins is win the TO battle and pressure Manning. Well they did that quite freaking well at 7 TO's and Manning was pressured a lot.

Jason in LA
02-11-2014, 10:35 PM
So we were all shocked that the SB was a blowout; it's been pointed out that Denver had lost by double digits only once in the last two years.

But the truth is that they have been down 14+ in the second half of every single regular season loss (and one crazy win) except this year's game at NE (which was still a second half blowout of another sort):

0 - 20 (Atlanta, 2012)

11 - 31 (Houston, 2012)

7 - 31 (New England, 2012)

0 - 24 (San Diego, 2012)

14 - 33 (Indy, 2013)

7 - 31 in the second half (New England, 2013)

10 - 24 (San Diego, 2013)

Really the only thing that separated the Super Bowl from every other (non-Ravens) loss we've seen recently was the lack of garbage time TDs to clean up the scoreline. The pattern seems to be this team either wins or completely gets their asses handed to them for at least 30 minutes at a time.

Basically, the team with the best regular season record both of the last two seasons has gotten completely steamrolled in about 6 games during that same span. That's weird. Is there any other recent playoff heavyweight with this kind of bad habit?

I thought that the OP was a major spin job. I'm surprised the B'More playoff game wasn't listed. lol

Broncos dude
02-12-2014, 04:15 PM
If it wasn't for Holliday, the Ravens game would have been a blowout. I wish our 20 millon a year Qb would show up in big games. As much as I hate Jim Ursay , he made some good points earlier in the year.

Kid A
02-12-2014, 08:49 PM
I thought that the OP was a major spin job. I'm surprised the B'More playoff game wasn't listed. lol

I'm not trying to dump on the team as being more terrible than people think or anything (I'm probably more optimistic about our chances next year than most people here). If you want to say those are simply games where Denver didn't warm up until late, that's fine. The thread title was a bit click-baity. I wasn't really interested in the semantics of what constitutes a "blowout."

But it's still a weird trend I don't think I've seen in any other top team that wins as much as Denver does. It's not a trend probably any other team could pull off without the best offense in the league. In light of everyone acting shell-shocked that Denver could come out looking so bad in the Super Bowl (and then blaming it on partying too much, not caring enough, Manning tensing up in a big game, etc etc), I think it makes sense to realize Denver has been done it quite a bit lately—and this time they simply did it against probably the one defense least forgiving of early deficits.