PDA

View Full Version : Players that are good starters now that we had ? at start of the season

ZONA
02-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Just going back to the start of the season in TC and looking at some of these players people had question marks about but had really good seasons and you feel confident in them going into next season.

#1 - Danny Trevathan - He was seldom used the previous year and had the same question marks that Nate Irving had. He improved big time this year IMO and quite possibly the player who improved the most.

#2 - Julius Thomas - We knew he had the talent but just couldn't stay healthy previous years. Really shined this year and is a great young weapon for us on offense.

#3 - Terrance Knighton - Was not really getting the job done in Jacksonville but shined big time in Denver this year, especially late in the year after Vickerson went down.

#4 - DRC - We knew he had played great before but his 2 years in Philly left huge question marks about this guy. What a rebound year for him.

maher_tyler
02-07-2014, 01:26 PM
#5 Shaun Phillips. Went above and beyond everyone's expectations. Wouldn't mind seeing him back with us next year.

Powderaddict
02-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Moreno, he was listed 3rd on the depth chart, and ended up being a key contributer.

ColoradoDarin
02-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Manny @ Center

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-07-2014, 01:54 PM
How about players who were question marks at the beginning of the season that proved to be quality starters in the end.

Duke
ManRam
Clark

Bigdawg26
02-07-2014, 01:56 PM
I think Manny was the best question mark. He was like the third string center and a back-up guard going into TC before.

broncocalijohn
02-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Vasquez. Got him at a bargain too.

DenverBound
02-07-2014, 02:01 PM
How about players who were question marks at the beginning of the season that proved to be quality starters in the end.

Duke
ManRam
Clark

Duke was a weak spot as the year went on. Sucks because I was really hyped on him during TC.

ColoradoDarin
02-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Vasquez. Got him at a bargain too.

I don't think anyone would have had Vasquez as a ? coming into the season.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Duke was a weak spot as the year went on. Sucks because I was really hyped on him during TC.

In hind site I guess I was stretching that one. Good box safety just couldn't cover 1-1 or zone that well.

Pick Six
02-07-2014, 02:37 PM
How soon we forget about Vickerson. He had a breakout year, until his injury...

eddie mac
02-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Yeah we definitely need an upgrade at SS. Moore can cut it IMO, Ihenacho has a lot to learn.

enjolras
02-07-2014, 03:05 PM

Part of the reason I'm so optimistic about next year.

Our front-7 is in really good shape. Our tackles are fantastic. Miller and Trevathan are very good. We need a MLB, but I do think Nate Irving is going to step into that position next year. We need another NASTY defensive end to replace Ayers as well.

Still there is one GLARING weakness on the defense and it's at safety. Fix that and I think the defense is a top-5 unit.

Bronco Yoda
02-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Manny really stepped up big time this season. IMO saved the season before it even started.

Sly_Eli
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I don't really think shaun phillips was that great in the second half of the season. He really didn't do crap rushing the passer in the last seven weeks of the season. I know he's considered a leader and all, but I don't know, man. I'd honestly pay ayers before him

DENVERDUI55
02-07-2014, 03:13 PM
SLY went from a liability early on to a decent starter by the end of the year. Nacho regress. Danny T played great along with Knighton. ManRam played well at C a position he never played before.

Rabb
02-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Part of the reason I'm so optimistic about next year.

Our front-7 is in really good shape. Our tackles are fantastic. Miller and Trevathan are very good. We need a MLB, but I do think Nate Irving is going to step into that position next year. We need another NASTY defensive end to replace Ayers as well.

Still there is one GLARING weakness on the defense and it's at safety. Fix that and I think the defense is a top-5 unit.

If we manage to get a good MLB and safety into the mix...we are pretty damn stout.

Action
02-07-2014, 03:45 PM
SLY went from a liability early on to a decent starter by the end of the year.

I expect Sly to take a huge jump next year and put more together He's a physical player and our running defense was able to play great because EVERYONE on the dline was able to hold their gaps and played good gap discipline.

Pot Roast got stronger and played better as the season wore on. Especially in the playoffs. He literally played like an elite DT...top 3 DT in the league. He was definitely the best DT in the playoffs.

He puts together another great season, he's going to command a fat ass contract. No pun.

Inkana7
02-07-2014, 04:16 PM
After this year, seeing both what teams did to Manning and what Manning did to teams, I'm convinced that the key to a good defense is to have excellent safety play. It's no coincidence that our pass defense and safeties both were awful this year, even with a very solid Front 7 and two great corners in Harris and DRC. We need safety help, badly. I think Moore is a solid starter but SS is a mess. Adams is meh but Nacho, Bolden and Dave Button were all horrible back there.

maher_tyler
02-07-2014, 04:22 PM
If we manage to get a good MLB and safety into the mix...we are pretty damn stout.

MLB & Safety have been glaring since Wilson was here. Irving is not a starting MLB on a Super Bowl winning team. I'd really like to see them go after a MLB in the draft and pick up a Safety in FA. MLB, pass rushing DE, CB, Safety, OT will be the positions I hope they go after in the draft.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Vasquez was not a question mark. A lot of us knew how good he was. For me, Knighton wasn't a question mark either.

broncocalijohn
02-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Vasquez was not a question mark. A lot of us knew how good he was. For me, Knighton wasn't a question mark either.

I didnt think Vasquez would be a quality starter. That is why I put his name on the thread.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-07-2014, 05:03 PM
I didnt think Vasquez would be a quality starter. That is why I put his name on the thread.

Gotcha. Ya some did some didnt. I remember making fun of charger fans for taking their best Olineman last offseason.

Mogulseeker
02-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah we definitely need an upgrade at SS. Moore can cut it IMO, Ihenacho has a lot to learn.

I almost feel Nacho should put on 20 lbs and play lber at this point.

Action
02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
After this year, seeing both what teams did to Manning and what Manning did to teams, I'm convinced that the key to a good defense is to have excellent safety play. It's no coincidence that our pass defense and safeties both were awful this year, even with a very solid Front 7 and two great corners in Harris and DRC. We need safety help, badly. I think Moore is a solid starter but SS is a mess. Adams is meh but Nacho, Bolden and Dave Button were all horrible back there.

lol the key to good defense is up front and will always be up front.

Let's not act like Manning was sitting there in the pocket with time to throw and couldn't find an open target.

Mogulseeker
02-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Duke Ihenacho is a decent starter. If he could improve his coverage, he could be a solid starter at Strong Safety.

DENVERDUI55
02-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Duke Ihenacho isn't a decent starter and should not have been starting this year. SafetyIf he could improve his coverage to mediocre he could be a mediocre starter.

FYP

TonyR
02-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Our front-7 is in really good shape...

We need a DE who can get pressure more consistently. Von can't do it alone.

stoxman
02-07-2014, 10:51 PM

Duke
ManRam
Clark

Can't say that Duke was all that good as a starter but ManRam and Clark played well.

ZONA
02-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Meh, Vick was pretty solid last year. Not special but he made quite a few nice plays. I didn't have him as a question mark at all. I knew he would hold his own at the very least. Same with Vasquez. How could anybody have that guy as a question mark. He's probowl level RT. Could be a tad better in the run game but I don't think he gave up a single sack this year. I wouldn't put Sly on this list either. Being a 1st round pick, I think we all expected something. Maybe not domination or brilliance but we expected about what we saw. Struggles early but came around late.

I put Knighton on there because a great DT doesn't hit FA very often at all. Those guys are usually wrapped up unless they just flat out want out. There were all sorts of question marks about him. He had something yet to prove and he did this year for sure, especially late.

OK, so who's the biggest question mark going into next year that's here now (if they stay).

I'm going to split it between Woody and Wolf. We still don't know what happened to Wolf and don't even have a clue what to expect from him next year. And Woody, from captain to backup in a matter of several weeks. Still not entirely sure what went down there. He was playing well to start the season and we all know he had the injury but he seemed to have made a full or close to full recovery but obviously his play suffered from something. I can't see him staying but if he does, wow will that be a huge question mark for next season. I'll throw Clark in there as well. We could see a line shuffle if Beadles goes and Clark could swing to the RT while moving either Franklin or Vasquez to LG. Getting Clady back will help for sure, big time in fact if he's made a full recovery. But I'd still like to put Franklin the beast inside and really beef up the inside of this line and start road grading some smaller units like the Seafag DL.