PDA

View Full Version : Still clearly the best team in AFC going into 2014

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:04 AM
We'll get back next year and try again. The players are professionals and they have jobs to do so I dont see any reason we cant make it back to the super bowl next season. I actually think its likely. Not only that but if we face an NFC WEst opponent it will be a rematch and we;ll be better prepared

TheReverend
02-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Let's be real: Beli and Tom Brady are probably going to destroy Fox and Peyton.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
We're far from the best. We could only beat Belichick and Brady with the whole team crocked or in jail and at home. Indy will be better, NE will be better, we will be worse. Won't crack 10 wins next year.

schaaf
02-03-2014, 10:15 AM
We're far from the best. We could only beat Belichick and Brady with the whole team crocked or in jail and at home. Indy will be better, NE will be better, we will be worse. Won't crack 10 wins next year.

Won't crack 10 wins? GTFO. We were down 2 all pros and 6 starters combined. This team will be right back in the thick next year.

TheReverend
02-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Won't crack 10 wins? GTFO. We were down 2 all pros and 6 starters combined. This team will be right back in the thick next year.

I totally agree about that. I just have zero confidence this team can/will FINISH though.

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Brady is half the player he use to be and when is NE's D ever anything but avg? Whisenhunt is gone in SD so they're back to .500.. The Chiefs are our biggest hurdle Imo. Im not afraid of Luck or Dalton one bit. The Ravens dont have the talent on D. Who's left? Miami? Jets? Give me a break.

schaaf
02-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I totally agree about that. I just have zero confidence this team can/will FINISH though.

That's my thought too. I don't doubt being right back in the thick but we'll make it there just to get curb stomped by a bunch of guys that are far more aggressive and physical and don't give a **** if you broke the all time points record.

edog24
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Brady is half the player he use to be and when is NE's D ever anything but avg? Whisenhunt is gone in SD so they're back to .500.. The Chiefs are our biggest hurdle Imo. Im not afraid of Luck or Dalton one bit. The Ravens dont have the talent on D. Who's left? Miami? Jets? Give me a break.

And then what? Get to the playoffs and get worked again once we play a physical team? We saw how that ends last night.

Punisher
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
We'll get back next year and try again. The players are professionals and they have jobs to do so I dont see any reason we cant make it back to the super bowl next season. I actually think its likely. Not only that but if we face an NFC WEst opponent it will be a rematch and we;ll be better prepared

It's really hard to go to the Super Bowl The Team really blew a chance to show the world what they got. You really don't know if they can do it again **** for all i know i'll be 50 years old until i see another Broncos Super Bowl

24champ
02-03-2014, 10:23 AM

That and you look at the history of teams getting blown out in the super bowl, it's not pretty the following season. We have a shot of getting into the playoffs next year. I think people are forgetting the Chargers. They are well coached and have some up and coming talent.

Forget the AFC, we will have a tough battle in our own division.

B-Large
02-03-2014, 10:24 AM
We will probably split with the Chiefs and Chargers next year. We play the NFCW, so lets call that potentially 3 losses right there unless finese happy-time football makes a big comeback and the 49ers, Hawks and Cardinals players all get Ebola before they beat up on our pussy team.

I'd say this team is 10 wins and probably the West next year- but we don't play the easy schedule we did this year and you know the Pats will be healthy and upgraded next year.

Sadly, this might have been out money shot. To bad our money shot ended up getting fisted to us no grease in NYC.

Arkie
02-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Broncos are early favorites to return. Who's making plans for the Super Bowl in Phoenix?

Seahawks: 7/1
Broncos: 8/1
49ers: 8/1
Patriots: 12/1
Packers: 20/1
Saints: 20/1
Falcons: 25/1
Bengals: 25/1
Panthers: 25/1
Colts: 30/1
Chiefs: 30/1
Eagles: 30/1
Bears: 30/1
Cardinals: 30/1

Some notable omissions: Chargers, Ravens and Steelers.

B-Large
02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Broncos are early favorites to return. Who's making plans for the Super Bowl in Phoenix?

Seahawks: 7/1
Broncos: 8/1
49ers: 8/1
Patriots: 12/1
Packers: 20/1
Saints: 20/1
Falcons: 25/1
Bengals: 25/1
Panthers: 25/1
Colts: 30/1
Chiefs: 30/1
Eagles: 30/1
Bears: 30/1
Cardinals: 30/1

Some notable omissions: Chargers, Ravens and Steelers.

I am sure the Hawks, 9ers and Panthers are PRAYING the Broncos make it back.... PRAYING...

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:28 AM
And then what? Get to the playoffs and get worked again once we play a physical team? We saw how that ends last night.

The plans going to be to build a team to beat the SEahawks. Speedy Defensive ends and olb's to contain Wilson and bigger WR's to compete with their secondary. Welker is gone.

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:30 AM
That and you look at the history of teams getting blown out in the super bowl, it's not pretty the following season. We have a shot of getting into the playoffs next year. I think people are forgetting the Chargers. They are well coached and have some up and coming talent.

Rivers resurgence was all Whisenhunt. That guy is a genius

rolandftw
02-03-2014, 10:31 AM
The plans going to be to build a team to beat the SEahawks. Speedy Defensive ends and olb's to contain Wilson and bigger WR's to compete with their secondary. Welker is gone.

If Welker is gone, so should Decker. Getting a physical WR opposite of D Thomas has to be goal #1 in the offseason. Goal #2 should be pass protection for Manning, although Clady will fix a lot of that.

rolandftw
02-03-2014, 10:34 AM
The team will be all right. But with Fox as the coach and with the current roster, they're going to need a miracle to win it all. Still the best team in the AFC

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Welker is not going anywhere. His entire contract is guaranteed.

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Welker is not going anywhere. His entire contract is guaranteed.

since when? link? we save 6M if we cut him and hes a concussion away from being done

HELLHAMMER
02-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Bigger WR's? We already have some of the biggest in the game. We need smaller, shiftier WR's like Steve Smith who gutted Sherman and the Seabags secondary. That D is custom built to shut down the big receivers most teams have gone to in the last few years.

BroncoBeavis

That history is honestly pretty shallow though. And I may sound homer on this, but there's no way we're as bad as that score last night.

Really think maybe Gase was outthinking himself on some of that. The backfield screen to Tamme was my big WTF moment.

And Peyton needs to learn to take a sack every now and again to keep us in games. We were holding ok in the red zone until the turnover festival started.

ScottXray

Bradys skills are shrinking rapidly ( much more than Peytons), but Gronk will elevate their game some. I actually think NEs rule of the East is done. Miami and the Jets will challenge next year.

Unfortunately KC and SD will give us a battle next year, and Oakland has a boat load of cap space, so will be better too.

This game signals a change of the guard in the NFL, overall. More and more teams are going to try to emulate Seattles game. DEFENSE is going to be predominant in the league again, with mobile QBs to move offenses.

Hopefully Elway sees that the pure pocket QB is not the whole future. Some combination of Manning and Tebow (not his passing skill) is the future.

WolfpackGuy

It could very well happen, but I don't know if I agree with the team's logic if they decide to go that route.

We all saw what happened when Shanahan tried to build a team to beat the Colts by loading up at CB.

He ended up forgetting about the 6 games a year in the AFC West when SD and KC (and OAK to a lesser extent) had punishing running games that routinely ran roughshod over the Broncos defense.

NFLBRONCO
02-03-2014, 10:39 AM
We play NFC west in 14

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Bigger WR's? We already have some of the biggest in the game. We need smaller, shiftier WR's like Steve Smith who gutted Sherman and the Seabags secondary. That D is custom built to shut down the big receivers most teams have gone to in the last few years.

Im talking more about a 2nd big TE and another WR DEcker's size if he leaves.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
The schedule looks brutal.

But the team that played yesterday isn't the team on the field next year. Moore Von Clady Wolfe? Vickerson Harris should all be ready to go.

This team cannot ignores the MLB position again I will flip out.

BroncoBeavis
02-03-2014, 10:44 AM
If Welker is gone, so should Decker. Getting a physical WR opposite of D Thomas has to be goal #1 in the offseason. Goal #2 should be pass protection for Manning, although Clady will fix a lot of that.

Welker looked like the only guy who had any idea what to do last night.

I was back and forth on keeping Welker vs Decker before. Now I'm pretty sure Welker's the guy to keep.

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:45 AM
And Peyton needs to learn to take a sack every now and again to keep us in games.

Thats a damn fine point. Manning's mantra has always been to get the ball out quick and compared to guys like Tannehill he does, but sometimes, ****, just take the sack.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Welker looked like the only guy who had any idea what to do last night.

I was back and forth on keeping Welker vs Decker before. Now I'm pretty sure Welker's the guy to keep.

I agree. Teams are trying to find their own "welkers". Dude is an asset. Decker is good, but he will get bigger money elsewhere. He can go trip on himself as a multi millionaire now.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 10:47 AM
We play the NFC West. Wouldn't be surprised if we went 0-4 there, all teams we match up horribly with. On top of that we go to NE and will drop a couple in the division to better KC and SD teams. That's 6 losses off the top of my head.

Even if we were to go 16-0 who gives a **** anyways? It just means either 1 and done or a humiliation in front of the entire world on Super Bowl Sunday anyways.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 10:47 AM
And Peyton needs to learn to take a sack every now and again to keep us in games. We were holding ok in the red zone until the turnover festival started.

This. How many times have we seen a forced pass be hit in the arm, deflected in the air and int. I know it happened in the colts final drive. Happened in the chargers loss. Happened last night.

Blart
02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck are the ultimate duo. The best QB and coach in history. 19-0.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 10:49 AM
We play the NFC West. Wouldn't be surprised if we went 0-4 there, all teams we match up horribly with. On top of that we go to NE and will drop a couple in the division to better KC and SD teams. That's 6 losses off the top of my head.

Even if we were to go 16-0 who gives a **** anyways? It just means 1 and done.

I didn't know we went one and done this year. Cool story.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 10:54 AM

People are funny. When Manning killed the Brady/Belichick monster, people said it was the monkey off his back. I knew it wouldn't be. So now he's "**** in the playoffs/choker" again. I hate people.

TonyR
02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
People are funny. When Manning killed the Brady/Belichick monster, people said it was the monkey off his back. I knew it wouldn't be. So now he's "**** in the playoffs/choker" again. I hate people.

Yup. It's funny, on Saturday I heard Ray Didinger (long time NFL Films guy) on a Philly sports radio show say that he really wanted the Broncos to win so all the "Manning can't win in the playoffs/he's a choker" idiots would just go away. Sadly they didn't, and now they won't...

ludo21
02-03-2014, 11:25 AM
We play NFC west in 14

actually GREAT NEWS!

Get this wuss ass team prepped for proper playoff football

Gutless Drunk
02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Yup. It's funny, on Saturday I heard Ray Didinger (long time NFL Films guy) on a Philly sports radio show say that he really wanted the Broncos to win so all the "Manning can't win in the playoffs/he's a choker" idiots would just go away. Sadly they didn't, and now they won't...

lol, no, he just poured a ****load of gasoline on that fire. So sad...it could have been over forever. The thing that sucks is it ruins next year too. Nothing they do next year in the regular season or playoffs will mean anything all year. It's in essence pointless. What a drag that is going to be.

ludo21
02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
lol, no, he just poured a ****load of gasoline on that fire. So sad...it could have been over forever. The thing that sucks is it ruins next year too. Nothing they do next year in the regular season or playoffs will mean anything all year. It's in essence pointless. What a drag that is going to be.

"Great win (after 27-20 win over Chiefs).....but how are you going to play in the SuperBowl"?

Need some strong willed guys on the team next year for sure, and some new blood.

briane
02-03-2014, 11:34 AM

:thumbs: This!

Man-Goblin
02-03-2014, 11:37 AM
We play NFC west in 14

Yep. Opening night at Seattle should be a blast.

Miss I.
02-03-2014, 11:38 AM
We can be in it, but what do we do to ensure that? Decker will leave, do we need to address that? We clearly have depth chart issues and what yesterday shows truly to me is that we have made Peyton the center of the universe which means when he cracks the whole offense seems to fold. The defense initially kept the game within small scores, but they wore out. we need more depth there obviously, particularly given injuries and the physicality and mobility of other offenses. As far as offense how do we shore that up? We need more depth to adequately protect Peyton against a team like Seattle. How can we do that? Where can we give (money, etc) to free it up to do it? and oh yeah **** you SEATTLE! okay a little better now.

strafen
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Unless we do something to vastly improve our defense, we're going to be who we are now what we will be next year...

This Broncos team is reminiscent of the Broncos teams of the 80's than anything to do with the SB teams.
We've got a great QB, no RB, and no defense. We rode to the SB on the shoulders of Peyton Manning just like we did with Elway in the 80's and 90's...

We need a tough defense, we need a serious running game, and when you think about it, that's what we've got in 96-97 did we not?
Even the Patriots when they won those 3 SB they had defenses ranked high in scoring and overall defense...it wasn't by any means just Brady

Arkie
02-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Yep. Opening night at Seattle should be a blast.

<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i40cpgx9/n234/cf114/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/cr0/ss0/cac000/cpc000/pcfff/tcfff/fs100/szw320/szh135/tatTime%20left%20to%20Kickoff%20in/tac000/tptTime%20since%20Event%20started%20in/tpc000/mac000/mpc000/iso2014-09-04T17:00:00" frameborder="0" width="320" height="135"></iframe>

Raider9175
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Unfortunately absorbing a beating like that in the biggest game(super bowl), has a lasting effect. The Broncos make the playoffs in 2014 I will be shocked.

Lets see if Champ Bailey and Peyton Manning call it quits.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:15 PM
You should've seen Cris Carter and Heath Evans last night grinning from ear to ear like kids in a candy store. I wanted to reach through the TV and choke both of those idiots.

2KBack
02-03-2014, 12:17 PM
We can be in it, but what do we do to ensure that? Decker will leave, do we need to address that? We clearly have depth chart issues and what yesterday shows truly to me is that we have made Peyton the center of the universe which means when he cracks the whole offense seems to fold. The defense initially kept the game within small scores, but they wore out. we need more depth there obviously, particularly given injuries and the physicality and mobility of other offenses. As far as offense how do we shore that up? We need more depth to adequately protect Peyton against a team like Seattle. How can we do that? Where can we give (money, etc) to free it up to do it? and oh yeah **** you SEATTLE! okay a little better now.

The depth is decent, the problem was that too much of the depth was starting. Not only do we get a complement of all-pros and solid talent back next season. There are some young players that might still emerge like Mccray Quanterus Smith and Greg Orton.

This game snow balled. Embarassing, sure. Denver is still a damn good team, there is far more evidence of that than the contrary. The emotion will die down in a few weeks.

24champ
02-03-2014, 12:25 PM

He poured jet fuel on that fire.

Mannings is a nice and great guy, but yeah his "legacy" is in the crapper.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 01:04 PM

I wish we did after last night. That was worse.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 01:11 PM
We play NFC west in 14

I was just going to post this same thing. Our Schedule (along with SD and KC's...who cares about OAK's) is brutal.

This will favor Indy and NE (possibly CIN, BAL and PIT) going in.

I still think we win the AFCW but the other posters are right--if we don't make the right off season moves, KC and SD can pass us up.

The road to the SB MAY go through Foxborough. Maybe a positive to this is that we will be battle tested and hopefully much more physical as a result.

2KBack
02-03-2014, 01:14 PM

That's just Silly....we were one of two fanbases that still had a team to root for over the last few weeks. There are 30 teams in the NFL that would gladly take a blowout in the Superbowl this year over not even making it.

To say otherwise is asinine

Arkie
02-03-2014, 01:14 PM

I'm glad we didn't lose to the Chargers. Peyton went on to surpass Brady for most yards in the playoffs.

LetsGoBroncos
02-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Forgetting half our defense was out are we?

enjolras
02-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Forgetting half our defense was out are we?

Dude is a straight troll, don't feed him:)

yerner
02-03-2014, 01:19 PM
New England healthy and with a year under the belt of those rookie wrs will be really good.

LetsGoBroncos
02-03-2014, 01:20 PM

Am I the only one that is able to look at this game for what it was? A really bad game that started in the worst way possible from the first snap of the game and snowballed?

Come on guys, give me a break. You don't think if we played them again and played to the best of our ability we win that game? In the third quarter Lynch had 30 rushing yards and Wilson had 100 passing yards. We beat ourselves

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Am I the only one that is able to look at this game for what it was? A really bad game that started in the worst way possible from the first snap of the game and snowballed?

Come on guys, give me a break. You don't think if we played them again and played to the best of our ability we win that game? In the third quarter Lynch had 30 rushing yards and Wilson had 100 passing yards. We beat ourselves

yeah, people are being emotional. Seattle is the better team, but it wouldnt be like that everytime we played them. Not even close.

TonyR
02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
You don't think if we played them again and played to the best of our ability we win that game?

No, I really don't. Their defense is really good, their offense is nothing special but just efficient and effective, they're relentless, and they make plays. I think if we played well we at least make a game of it but no matter what they figure out a way to beat us.

LetsGoBroncos
02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Unless we do something to vastly improve our defense, we're going to be who we are now what we will be next year...

This Broncos team is reminiscent of the Broncos teams of the 80's than anything to do with the SB teams.
We've got a great QB, no RB, and no defense. We rode to the SB on the shoulders of Peyton Manning just like we did with Elway in the 80's and 90's...

We need a tough defense, we need a serious running game, and when you think about it, that's what we've got in 96-97 did we not?
Even the Patriots when they won those 3 SB they had defenses ranked high in scoring and overall defense...it wasn't by any means just Brady

You mean like get the 6 starters we were missing back?

LetsGoBroncos
02-03-2014, 01:31 PM
yeah, people are being emotional. Seattle is the better team, but it wouldnt be like that everytime we played them. Not even close.

My point is without the stupid mistakes we made in the first half Seattle has 13 points max at halftime and I'm counting one of the touchdowns the scored off an interception.

orinjkrush
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
I think all of NFL world DOESN'T want to see the Broncos in the SUPERBOWL again for another 15 years. And I don't blame them. 5 screw ups out of 7 chances, sheesh.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Good lord you are delusional. The last place this team belongs is in another Super Bowl.

extralife
02-03-2014, 04:37 PM
sure, we've got a great chance to be back if we don't implode on ourselves, but we have just about zero chance of beating seattle or san francisco.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 04:38 PM

You don't seem to get it. That is what this team does when it really matters. They beat themselves.

broncolife
02-03-2014, 04:42 PM
I think all of NFL world DOESN'T want to see the Broncos in the SUPERBOWL again for another 15 years. And I don't blame them. 5 screw ups out of 7 chances, sheesh.

At least its not 4 super bowl losses in a row like the Bills had.

extralife
02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
At least its not 4 super bowl losses in a row like the Bills had.

we have more super bowl losses than any other team, and every one of them was a blowout.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 04:51 PM
We'd have lost to the 2008 Lions last night. People preaching about injuries being the reason are only kidding themselves. Could have been different im sure, could have been 35-8 maybe.

TD4HOF
02-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Gonna be very interesting to see what Elway does this offseason. He’s smarting right now and will definitely react for better or for worse.

enjolras
02-03-2014, 04:59 PM
we have more super bowl losses than any other team, and every one of them was a blowout.

Which is waaaayyyy better than the alternative.

thumpc
02-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Broncos sign a Howard Griffith, problem solved.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm glad we didn't lose to the Chargers. Peyton went on to surpass Brady for most yards in the playoffs.

Brady's not going to care, seeing as he's confident he'll be remembered as the superior player and has his rings to polish (tainted or not).

Yardage in the playoffs...pshh. Made a big difference yesterday

enjolras
02-03-2014, 05:22 PM
People were more positive about this team after a 2-14. I was a knee-jerking wreck last night, but after you get some sleep you have to realize that this team just went 15-4 this year. They easily won TWO playoff games. They went to the damn superbowl.

While I think we need to make some changes to win a championship there are probably only two teams in the whole freaking league better than the Broncos right now.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 05:26 PM
People were more positive about this team after a 2-14. I was a knee-jerking wreck last night, but after you get some sleep you have to realize that this team just went 15-4 this year. They easily won TWO playoff games. They went to the damn superbowl.

While I think we need to make some changes to win a championship there are probably only two teams in the whole freaking league better than the Broncos right now.

Most of the teams in the league could've beat us yesterday. But if that helps you sleep at night...

stoxman
02-03-2014, 05:28 PM

I hear ya but no, I don't think we beat that team. They played with tons of passion and physicality and we didn't. I don't think a 2nd game tonight or this weekend would change things. We were exposed even though, yes, we beat ourselves as well. They are the better team--our defense cannot hang even if our offense played a "typical" game that defense would have slowed us and limited our opportunities.

broncolife
02-03-2014, 05:30 PM

And we have 2 super bowl wins which is more than alot of the teams have.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 05:32 PM
You mean like get the 6 starters we were missing back?

Wolfe and Rahim Moore, honestly are nothing special. Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor smoke Moore and Avril is superior to Wolfe.

Von Miller, Chris Harris and Vick certainly would have helped but we still need more upgrades and certainly depth as the never ending injury excuses around here are tiring. Yes, we got hit as badly by the injury bug as I've ever seen but upgrades are needed across the board on Def and maybe even OL if we want to hoist that Lombardi again.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Gonna be very interesting to see what Elway does this offseason. Hes smarting right now and will definitely react for better or for worse.

I can only hope so but honestly last year after he came out and so over the top supported Fox after some really stupid playcalling and game planning in the BAL game--I'm just not so sure he will do ENOUGH. He will act but will it be enough?

I'm hoping so and have been saying all over this website that he has some seriously HUGE decisions to make. My thought is he will mostly tinker and tweak vs. going all in. We shall see.

yerner
02-03-2014, 05:53 PM
I honestly think to win a super bowl with Manning at this point, they're going to have to construct the greatest offensive line of all time, incapable of letting Manning get sacked. Any constant pass rush and it's over. He cant move his feet and throw the ball with any accuracy. He doesn't even slide the pocket well anymore.