PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Priorities

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 06:54 AM
After blowing a mostly healty team last year, and crapping themselves in the SB this year, I feel the best window for a SB victory was these past two seasons.

That said, I do believe the window is still open for another year or two, but it will be an uphill battle.

With that said, how does the team move forward to make it as competitive as possible? How do they give themselves the best possible chance to redeem themselves?

My theories:

1. If Eric Decker wants big money, let him walk. He has his moments, but disappears in games as well. He is a decent receiver, but that money can go elsewhere.

2. Obvious statement is obvious: Cut or restructure Champ.

3. Sign DRC. If possible, extend Harris as well.

4. Let Beadles walk unless he signs a cheap contract. I like him for depth, but I don't think he's worth second contract starting Oline money.

5. Look to upgrade safety. Adams is a good depth guy, Ihenacho is a decent depth guy, but niether should be starting. I get that injuries played a part here. But the position needs attention.

6. I can't believe I'm saying this, but are there any Romonowski type players available? Crazy, borderline psychopaths that give your Defense a nasty attitude type guys? Vickerson has a bit of that in him, but this team needs some nasty. While we're at it, a receiver with some nasty would be great as well.

A lot depends on how some of these guys come back from injury. But S, CB, LG, WR, MLB, are all areas that need to be addressed. And maybe DE depending on Wolfe's situation.

I get that most of you are extremely pissed, I am too, but can we try to keep this thread a "where do we go from here" thread, and not just another "b****ing cause I'm pissed" thread? There are plenty of those available (I'm using those as well).

SVine
02-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Cut or restructure Manning. A championship qb does not allow his own salary to take up 17% of cap space. Elway knew this when he was still playing and took a salary cut so a championship team could be built around him. Hopefully Elway remembers that and has a very difficult chat with Peyton.

enjolras
02-03-2014, 07:06 AM
How to fix this team:

We need a big time playmaker in our secondary. We saw what MEN look like last night. We need a safety who can change games. A Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, or an Earl Thomas. We haven't had a decent safety since Steve Atwater hung them up. The highest off-season priority MUST be finding that player for this defense. If we can find a hard-hitting and aggressive safety that will help to greatly shore up our secondary. I'm ok with DRC (although I would love an upgrade) and Chris Harris is a fantastic second corner.

Fire Jack Del Rio. Much like Shannahan the game has simply passed him by. Find someone willing to play 100% more aggressively. Someone who will coach this team up to play at full speed all the time. I believe we have the horses to do this. I think our front-7 can be very VERY good. Guys like Wolfe, Sly, Pot Roast, Miller, and Williams can wreak havoc on an offense. Let them play aggressively. Let them play fast.

That's really the two defensive changes I would like to see. We had a lot of bad luck this year. Get everyone back and healthy and we'll be in a fantastic spot to make another run.

On offense I think everyone is spot on. Let Decker walk. We need a physical number two to complement Welker and Thomas. I don't care about speed. I want big and nasty.

Beadles needs to walk as well. I've defended the guy over and over again, but I'm willing to admit now that he simply can't get the job done when faced with elite defensive talent in front of him.

orangenblue
02-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Cut or restructure Manning. A championship qb does not allow his own salary to take up 17% of cap space. Elway knew this when he was still playing and took a salary cut so a championship team could be built around him. Hopefully Elway remembers that and has a very difficult chat with Peyton.

Totally agree

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Elway took a cut specifically to sign Neil Smith.

I could see Manning taking a cut to help sign a specific player. I hope he would. We'll see if it happens. I doubt he takes a preemptive cut just to give the FO money to play with, but maybe.

gunns
02-03-2014, 07:22 AM
I think you're right on when putting S, CB first. OMG how many years have we been screaming for and needing a good safety. I think MLB is next and then DE. Ayers is much too inconsistent. WR, blah. You can pick them up for a dime a dozen.

Rabb
02-03-2014, 07:23 AM
It didn't take long for me to think to myself, man that Harris injury hurts.

It's hard to say we are only a player or two away with the injuries we have had. I personally think we might be more of a coach away.

AtlantaBronco
02-03-2014, 07:28 AM
This team was built to win now. Believe it or not, I think the biggest hurdle is going to be mental. Taking a beating like that where the team simply isn't prepared to play and everything they try fails miserably does something to the organization. You go from expecting to win to hoping to win. The last time we took this kind of beating in a Super Bowl was against the 49ers. It took 7 years and 2 head coaching changes to get back. To me, it doesn't matter what changes are made, the window closed last night.

Kaylore
02-03-2014, 07:29 AM
We have some help coming. Q and McCray will help. And Miller is coming back.

ColoradoDarin
02-03-2014, 07:41 AM
OL:
Let Beadles walk. Move Franklin to LG (I assume you mean t LG because Vasquez played well at RG) and move Clark to RT and hope Clady returns to form.

WR:
Decker is probably going to command 8-10/year and I don't think he is worth that, especially when we have to give DT a big contract the following year. Maybe we can restructure Welker so he's not eating $8 in 2014.

QB:
Manning wants a ring then he needs to give up some green.

Defense needs a bit more work.
LB:
IDK if Von should move into a strictly DE? Or maybe just DE when we go nickle? I would love to have a real MLB, but with Von and Trevathan, only 2 are going to be on the field in nickle D unless we move Von up to the line. Still, a 3-down MLB has been a priority since Big Al Wilson hung em up.

CB/S:
Champ looks done to me, sad to say. I wish we could have got him a ring this year.
Re-sign DRC is a must. Harris is great and Kayvon will benefit greatly from a full off season. CBs are okay. Depth beyond our top 2 isn't great, but SS/FS upgrade is so much more important right now. Nacho is depth. Rahim is solid, but should be depth. Our worst talent here since Mcree/Manual

DL:
We actually have 2 solid DTs. I didn't think I was going to ever say that. Our depth is awful and showed when Vickerson went out. Hopefully Wolfe can come back from whatever his illness is. Malik is solid. Can Q Smith make the leap Malik did? At least need depth here, but we probably could use an upgrade. And maybe less so if we have Von solely rushing in passing situations.

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 07:42 AM
This team was built to win now. Believe it or not, I think the biggest hurdle is going to be mental. Taking a beating like that where the team simply isn't prepared to play and everything they try fails miserably does something to the organization. You go from expecting to win to hoping to win. The last time we took this kind of beating in a Super Bowl was against the 49ers. It took 7 years and 2 head coaching changes to get back. To me, it doesn't matter what changes are made, the window closed last night.

This next season will show how mentally tough this team is.

If it all falls apart next year, I think I'll be one of the "blow it all up" voices. I'm an optimist by nature, so my hope and expectation is they'll come back ready for another run. But we'll see.

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 07:44 AM
OL:
Let Beadles walk. Move Franklin to LG (I assume you meant LG)

Yes, I meant LG. Correcting OP now.

edog24
02-03-2014, 07:55 AM
If this is a valid choice, and I don't know enough about the salary numbers but I would prefer to get rid of Welker if it meant we could keep Decker. I don't think Welker was worth the money this year, and the concussion issues will be back next year for sure.

I think Caldwell could do fine in the slot and take up more space than Welker on the crossing routes that are designed to get Deck and DT open.

Whatever money Holliday is making get rid of him, we can put Mike Adams back there running kickoffs to the 12 yard line for all I care, just someone who doesn't give me heart palpitations every time they touch the ball, they have to be cheap whoever it is. OL looks like it needs work-

I think some of this is in coaching though, we looked really good all the way in the playoffs until now, and then crapped the bed once we got off our game plan. I think some coaches need to be let go, just not sure who that is right now.

Denver724
02-03-2014, 07:58 AM
From Rotoworld last night (after game).

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46154/59/team-needs--and--roster-rankings

3. Denver Broncos

CB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie publicly discussed retirement during Super Bowl week and is entering free agency. Franchise stalwart Champ Bailey's future is also up in the air going on age 36 with a $9 million base salary. Stud slot corner Chris Harris, a restricted free agent, tore his left ACL on January 12. It's possible the Broncos will need two new starting cornerbacks for 2014.

LB: Impending free agent Wesley Woodyard flamed out at middle linebacker this past season, losing his starting job to Paris Lenon down the stretch. Lenon, 36, is also a free agent. The Broncos could explore moving WLB Danny Trevathan inside during the offseason. SLB Von Miller's return will obviously help, but there's bound to be a hole at one of the other linebackers.

OG: Louis Vasquez is entrenched as Denver's right guard, but LG Zane Beadles is a free agent and has no obvious in-house successor. It's possible the Broncos will consider kicking LT Chris Clark inside to guard with Ryan Clady (Lisfranc) returning, but otherwise this is a starting-lineup hole. Denver is set at the other tackle position (Orlando Franklin) and center (Manuel Ramirez).

WR: The Broncos likely won't be able to afford free agent Eric Decker, as Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas are both entering contract years as more valuable pieces in Denver's passing attack. Wes Welker turns 33 in May and suffered two concussions in 2013. Look for VP of Player Personnel John Elway to invest a mid-round pick on a wideout. Elway tried with Tavarres King in the fifth round last year, but King was waived and ended the season on the Panthers' inactives list.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Blow the whole thing up and get bigger/stonger/faster across the board. F--K Miller too. That idiot has 300 + chances a year to screw up and get a full season suspension. It's just a matter of time before he does.

mnfan
02-03-2014, 08:10 AM

I don't think that Elway took a paycut. He restructured and pushed off some bonuses.

ludo21
02-03-2014, 08:21 AM
MLB and Safety are a definitive MUST UPGRADE!

On the bright side, our DT rotation is good.....

spiralism
02-03-2014, 08:56 AM
We need to cut Manning or demand he restructures for less than half. He either wants this or he doesn't and his choking played a big part. Call it a punishment.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 08:58 AM
We need to cut Manning or demand he restructures for less than half. He either wants this or he doesn't and his choking played a big part. Call it a punishment.

Lol

RaiderH8r
02-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Also, the Maras called. They want Elway to clean up the steaming pile of horse**** he left on the field last night. I understand it is pretty big so bring lots of bags and a world class pooper scooper.

Wes Mantooth
02-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Priority #1: Burn the jerseys.

Popps
02-03-2014, 09:32 AM
We've designed this team over the past few years to try to beat the Patriots.

We did that. It's time we look at the bigger picture and that means a more physical brand of football.

ColoradoDarin
02-03-2014, 09:51 AM

We did that. It's time we look at the bigger picture and that means a more physical brand of football.

QFT

GreatBronco16
02-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Truth.

PRBronco
02-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Would we have beaten them if Gronk was healthy though?

Bigdawg26
02-03-2014, 10:01 AM
OL- Zane Beadles can walk if he wants a big contract. He would be to overrated for a big money deal. I would rather moved Franklin to G and shift Clark to RT if it had to be done.

WR- I would only pay Decker no more than a good WR2 contract. I think DT and Thomas deserve a big pay day which they should get.

DL- We are pretty good at DT (can't believe I'm saying that). We have Knighton and Sly as the starters and I would have Big Vick and maybe Urein as the back-ups. DE's has got be better. I think Malik might take Wolfe's spot depending on Wolfe's condition, but we need another pass rusher to play with Von.

LBs- I think Danny T(who I think was the only player outside of Knighton who played well and didn't quit yesterday) and Von are studs. Now if only we had an impact MLB. I really wanted it to be Woodyard, but it kinda flamed out and lost confidence towards the end. Hopefully he can rebound, but he needs to be challenged by a high draft pick for the MLB spot.

DB's- Where to begin?? I think we need to sign DRC and Harris back for starters. I don't think DRC would be big money, but maybe around the same size contract Keenan Lewis got with NO. Harris should be back with a decent size contract. I hope Webster picks it up after being pick on late in the season. Tony Carter is OK but Champ still plays like hes on skates. We need an impact safety in the worst way.

Overall D- I don't think we are in a bad spot with our defense considering we were playing in the super bowl without 5 starters (Von, Moore, Wolfe, Vickerson, and Harris). I think we need an impact safety to go along with a big time MLB and we are a top 5 defense.

Nickstixx
02-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Preface: Though my OM account shows that I have not posted a lot, I am indeed a die hard fan, and have been my entire life. I also had more posts before my account somehow got deleted and I had to create a new one. Just want to get that out of the way.

Now... I agree with many of the posts on here. We have to either cut Champ or ask him to take a SIGNIFICANT pay cut.
I also think that if Manning wants to win, he should walk into Elways office and tell him he will restructure his contract.

As for positions that we need to assess in FA and the draft:
Safety
RT
CB
MLB
RB

I know Seattle's Defense is great, but I couldn't believe that I was watching the same team that I watched all season out there last night.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that passing oriented teams are not going to beat the top defensive teams. If we want to win a championship, we need to build the team into a defensive juggernaut with a top shelf running game.

My concern is that we have too many finesse pussies on this team. We need an attitude overhaul. I'm not sure John Fox and his "aww shucks" persona, or even Peyton and his "politically correct" persona are the right guys to lead the type of men we need to compete physically and mentally with the 49ers and Seahawks.

In my mind, Fox and Peyton had their chance this year. The offense was pretty much all systems go and couldn't be much better. The weather was fine. And we still got annihilated. This offense with these players can't win against the elite physical defenses. We need to adapt. But we probably won't.

B-Large
02-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Also, the Maras called. They want Elway to clean up the steaming pile of horse**** he left on the field last night. I understand it is pretty big so bring lots of bags and a world class pooper scooper.

Elway must be humiliated and embrassed to no end. I would nto be suprised to see him take pretty drastic action to rectify whatever that was we saw last night.

John has done a superb job- if that performance wasn't bag over the head punch int he face by Fox and his clown car, I am not sure what was.

8 god damn points. Still in disbelief.

Peoples Champ
02-03-2014, 10:09 AM

what about us without Von, Vickerson, Clady, and Harris?

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:11 AM
I actually envision 8-9 new starters for us next season.. Deck , Know, Clark BEadles are gone on offense and Adams, Woodyard, Irving, Phillips on Defense.

ScottXray
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
March 11 is the start of the new league year.

Champ is due $1,000,000 roster bonus and locks in his 9 mill in salary by that day. No wonder he wants to return next year.

This isn't going to happen. Sad he never got his ring here , but he is done as a starter, in any capacity. Move to safety is not probable. He gave up 5 of 6 targets yesterday for a 115 QB rating.

Unless he signs a new deal at 1-2 mill max he is gone. I thank him for his years of great service...but we need strength, youth and speed in his spot. He doesn't have them anymore.

What happens with Champ will show some of the teams thinking.

Bigdawg26
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Right! Those are two all-pro difference makers (Von and Clady), and one of the best corners and the best nickel back in the game in Harris. Really makes you think!?!?

PRBronco
02-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Excellent point for sure, but I honestly don't know. Gronk gives me ****ing nightmares.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 10:55 AM
We need a stud speed RB that will take some pressure off Manning. Someone who is going to take the rock and run with authority. It seems the backs we have now just don't have that. (D. Mcfadden, Chris Johnson, Bryce Brown).

Traveler
02-03-2014, 10:56 AM
I agree with Popps! Last night prove true to old adage, "Nice guys finish last." This team has to get more nasty and physical if they plan on winning another SB.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 11:04 AM
With all of our injured players returning, plus a couple of more pieces on defense and adding a stud speed back on offense, we should be ready to make another run. Last night was the worst sleep I had in a long time, I kept waking up every hour on the hour thinking about that game. My wife was even mad and she don't even like football.

mopatt24
02-03-2014, 11:26 AM
1. True MLB. We haven't had one since Al Wilson. Adding a MLB could change the identity of this defense for the better.

2. Safety. Despite what most think of Rahim Moore, the kid plays very well and has improved each year. We can use an upgrade at SS

3. Never wear Orange in the Super Bowl again. EVER!!!

McDman
02-03-2014, 11:31 AM
After blowing a mostly healty team last year, and crapping themselves in the SB this year, I feel the best window for a SB victory was these past two seasons.

That said, I do believe the window is still open for another year or two, but it will be an uphill battle.

With that said, how does the team move forward to make it as competitive as possible? How do they give themselves the best possible chance to redeem themselves?

My theories:

1. If Eric Decker wants big money, let him walk. He has his moments, but disappears in games as well. He is a decent receiver, but that money can go elsewhere.

2. Obvious statement is obvious: Cut or restructure Champ.

3. Sign DRC. If possible, extend Harris as well.

4. Let Beadles walk unless he signs a cheap contract. I like him for depth, but I don't think he's worth second contract starting Oline money.

5. Look to upgrade safety. Adams is a good depth guy, Ihenacho is a decent depth guy, but niether should be starting. I get that injuries played a part here. But the position needs attention.

6. I can't believe I'm saying this, but are there any Romonowski type players available? Crazy, borderline psychopaths that give your Defense a nasty attitude type guys? Vickerson has a bit of that in him, but this team needs some nasty. While we're at it, a receiver with some nasty would be great as well.

A lot depends on how some of these guys come back from injury. But S, CB, LG, WR, MLB, are all areas that need to be addressed. And maybe DE depending on Wolfe's situation.

I get that most of you are extremely pissed, I am too, but can we try to keep this thread a "where do we go from here" thread, and not just another "b****ing cause I'm pissed" thread? There are plenty of those available (I'm using those as well).

Really good points. I think we need to look for another pass rushing DE as well.

McDman
02-03-2014, 11:45 AM
OL:
Let Beadles walk. Move Franklin to LG (I assume you mean t LG because Vasquez played well at RG) and move Clark to RT and hope Clady returns to form.

WR:
Decker is probably going to command 8-10/year and I don't think he is worth that, especially when we have to give DT a big contract the following year. Maybe we can restructure Welker so he's not eating $8 in 2014.

QB:
Manning wants a ring then he needs to give up some green.

Defense needs a bit more work.
LB:
IDK if Von should move into a strictly DE? Or maybe just DE when we go nickle? I would love to have a real MLB, but with Von and Trevathan, only 2 are going to be on the field in nickle D unless we move Von up to the line. Still, a 3-down MLB has been a priority since Big Al Wilson hung em up.

CB/S:
Champ looks done to me, sad to say. I wish we could have got him a ring this year.
Re-sign DRC is a must. Harris is great and Kayvon will benefit greatly from a full off season. CBs are okay. Depth beyond our top 2 isn't great, but SS/FS upgrade is so much more important right now. Nacho is depth. Rahim is solid, but should be depth. Our worst talent here since Mcree/Manual

DL:
We actually have 2 solid DTs. I didn't think I was going to ever say that. Our depth is awful and showed when Vickerson went out. Hopefully Wolfe can come back from whatever his illness is. Malik is solid. Can Q Smith make the leap Malik did? At least need depth here, but we probably could use an upgrade. And maybe less so if we have Von solely rushing in passing situations.

All good points. We need an MLB so bad. The good thing is our two OLBs are great.

KipCorrington25
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
50% chance Miller is suspended for next year, the probabilty of him screwing up in the next 8 months is high. He can't be trusted.

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM

This is a great post.

We have a few guys that play physical, with attitude. Harris and Trevathan come to mind, we need a few more.

PRBronco
02-03-2014, 12:00 PM
50% chance Miller is suspended for next year, the probabilty of him screwing up in the next 8 months is high. He can't be trusted.

I see what you did there.

LetsGoBroncos
02-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I actually envision 8-9 new starters for us next season.. Deck , Know, Clark BEadles are gone on offense and Adams, Woodyard, Irving, Phillips on Defense.

Shocked at how easily people just say Moreno is gone like it's no big deal. He was a key to our offense this season, and a great leader as well. I think losing him would cause massive issues. Ball is good, but what if he gets hurt?

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I've seen some posts advocating moving Miller, I want to go on record as stating that I think that is a terrible idea

eddie mac
02-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Blow the team up??? Do **** off. We won 15 games this year and most pretty easily. We lost the biggest one obviously but you dont blow up a ****ing team because of that. You blow up a 2-14 team or a 3-13 team.

We have 1 year left with Manning, maybe 2 max at a push. You do what you can this year to get everyone back healthy and keep the players you want to keep and pick up a few gems like we did last year with Vazquez, Knighton, Welker, DRC and Phillips. Some of the money we had from 2013 wont be there this year but you give it another shot. Otherwise you may as well just say **** Manning and start from scratch with Osweiler and he's shown nothing so far.

mopatt24
02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I've seen some posts advocating moving Miller, I want to go on record as stating that I think that is a terrible idea

Agree. Keep him at LB. Miller should get back to his 2012 weight, not only for performance purposes, but for his knee as well

Atwater His Ass
02-03-2014, 12:24 PM
You don't move Trevathan or Miller. Let them play in the positions they excel at. You go out and get a MLB ffs.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Even though we are drafting second to last in every round, we need to find one or two good players that can contribute right away, we need to get our healthy players back, we need to sign our own in house free agents and one or two outside free agents which should include MLB and RB.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Not quite. Clark is signed through next year and I read before the SB that the FO and Phillips are going to sign for another year.

Bigdawg26
02-03-2014, 12:46 PM
All good points. We need an MLB so bad. The good thing is our two OLBs are great.

One of the bright spots was that Danny was the only guy I saw all season to stone Marshawn Lynch on multiple occasions.

enjolras
02-03-2014, 12:49 PM
One of the bright spots was that Danny was the only guy I saw all season to stone Marshawn Lynch on multiple occasions.

I thought Nate Irving had a fantastic game as well. That guy can crack some heads.

enjolras
02-03-2014, 12:55 PM
This is a great post.

We have a few guys that play physical, with attitude. Harris and Trevathan come to mind, we need a few more.

Vickerson is another.

As the fog from yesterday clears I'm actually finding some real optimism for next year.

The biggest change we need isn't so much about talent (except at safety). It's about turning these players loose. Our defense, right now, plays not to make mistakes. The whole defense always seems to be moving backwards. Everything is predicated on keeping the play in front of them and preventing that big play.

Seattle just turns their defense loose. It was kind of amazing watching their defensive tackles running half way across the field to make plays on the edge 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. The whole damn team just flows straight to the ball. They're willing to give up a couple of big plays here and there, just as long as they are knocking some heads in the process. It's a thing of beauty to watch three different guys running at the receiver as soon as the QB throws a pass.

It looks like college football but with NFL players. We need to find a Bronco version of that. I'm tired of a defensive scheme designed to keep coaches from getting fired. Go down to the college ranks and replace Del Rio with someone who can coach us to play with that intensity and speed. I absolutely believe we have the talent to do it.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:58 PM
When we were down 43-8, the hawks just kept bringing the wood as if the score was 0-0. That's the kinda defense I love, but when most coaches have a lead like that, they go into a prevent defense that prevents them from winning.

enjolras
02-03-2014, 01:02 PM
When we were down 43-8, the hawks just kept bringing the wood as if the score was 0-0. That's the kinda defense I love, but when most coaches have a lead like that, they go into a prevent defense that prevents them from winning.

I was struck by something similar. They played that preseason game this year with exactly the same level of intensity as the Superbowl. It was pretty much the same damn game. Something that yet again reminded me of a college football team.

They apparently practice at the same speed. They play every play, no matter the stakes, at the same speed. The Broncos and their lazy training camp practices could learn a whole bunch from them.

Bigdawg26
02-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Vickerson is another.

As the fog from yesterday clears I'm actually finding some real optimism for next year.

The biggest change we need isn't so much about talent (except at safety). It's about turning these players loose. Our defense, right now, plays not to make mistakes. The whole defense always seems to be moving backwards. Everything is predicated on keeping the play in front of them and preventing that big play.

Seattle just turns their defense loose. It was kind of amazing watching their defensive tackles running half way across the field to make plays on the edge 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. The whole damn team just flows straight to the ball. They're willing to give up a couple of big plays here and there, just as long as they are knocking some heads in the process. It's a thing of beauty to watch three different guys running at the receiver as soon as the QB throws a pass.

It looks like college football but with NFL players. We need to find a Bronco version of that. I'm tired of a defensive scheme designed to keep coaches from getting fired. Go down to the college ranks and replace Del Rio with someone who can coach us to play with that intensity and speed. I absolutely believe we have the talent to do it.

Yeah I see what your saying and honestly not trying to take up for Del Rio, but it's hard to let your defense loose when your playing with 5 or 6 back-ups.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 01:03 PM
First priority for the offseason is for anyone in the Denver area to welcome the team home at the airport, preferably by pelting them with rotten fruit and rubbish. They belong with the garbage after all.

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 01:42 PM
First priority for the offseason is for anyone in the Denver area to welcome the team home at the airport, preferably by pelting them with rotten fruit and rubbish. They belong with the garbage after all.

Yes, that will help them improve, I'm sure.

Popps
02-03-2014, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I think we would have and I think we had them beaten in New England... they just got lucky. Certainly Gronk would have made difference, but we have more answers for him at this point than we did earlier in the year. Our defense played well to close the season, and honestly didn't play terribly yesterday given the circumstances.

SEA scored all of their points on flukes, turnovers and short fields. Not saying they didn't deserve to win... not saying they aren't the better team. But, their offense didn't do anything special and Lynch was a non-factor.

We need to continue to beef up this defense, but I see some reason for optimism.

Offensive toughness, special teams and coaching efficiency are entirely different issues.

Peyton Manning honed his skill-set in a domed stadium where people hushed when he told them to. He mastered his own offense (essentially) and put up some great seasons, great numbers and is a remarkable QB. But, I remember back in the day... pre-Broncos, I just didn't care for the Colts. They seemed like a one-dimensional dome team that would be exposed in the playoffs and quite often they were. The one year they won it all, their defense caught fire late in the season and they faced a pretty marginal team in the SB.

I'm not taking anything away from Manning, and I wouldn't want anyone else running this offense. But, I've long been leery of the finesse offense and what happens to those offenses come playoff time. I've argued with folks around here for years that you need more that just a quarterback to win a SB. I doubt I have to make that argument any longer.

This team got shoved around and manhandled. We lost to a team built to win playoff football games. I understand that we've seen teams like the Rams, Saints and Colts win SBs some years... but that's not now. Right now, there are too many teams in the NFC who have great defenses or have them on the horizon.

This team has to re-examine itself and take a hard look at this offensive style... overall make-up and coaching style/philosophy and decide what they are going to do. We just shattered every possible offensive record and were still humiliated by a stronger, faster, old-school football team. I'm NOT saying you "blow it up", but this is two pretty brutal finishes in a row. It's time for a look in the mirror and I imagine time to make some difficult decisions.

Action
02-03-2014, 10:09 PM
This team has to re-examine itself and take a hard look at this offensive style... overall make-up and coaching style/philosophy and decide what they are going to do. We just shattered every possible offensive record and were still humiliated by a stronger, faster, old-school football team. I'm NOT saying you rear anything down, but this is two pretty brutal finishes in a row. It's time for a look in the mirror and I imagine time to make some difficult decisions.

I don't think there is anything wrong with our offensive style...we just need to be able to line up and run it down your throat when want to though. I don't necessarily think the offensive of the ball need to be extremely physical either...meaning we just pound you away all game. Not necessary.

You look at the past offenses of the SB winners recently, they can also sling the ball. Next years SB will be in AZ too.

I still stand by what I said yesterday, and that is, that it starts with the defense. They set the tone of the game. The defense needs to be smash mouth players...and the 2 players on our team that fit that mold are Vickerson and Knighton. Everyone else, I'm not too sure of their identity.

BB built his defenses the same way...big and physical. What do you think he was doing drafting Spikes...Hightower...Mayo...Chandler Jones...Jamie collins...these are all versatile big physical guys. Seahawks are just on another level with that **** though.

The thing is, Seahawks got all of their guys in the later rounds of the draft... so either they have an internal PED department or they have the best developmental department in the NFL.

Physical, punch you in the jaw, defenses are the definition of playoff football.

bpc
02-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Shocked at how easily people just say Moreno is gone like it's no big deal. He was a key to our offense this season, and a great leader as well. I think losing him would cause massive issues. Ball is good, but what if he gets hurt?

I think we draft/sign another back but I think this team sees something in CJ Anderson or they wouldn't have held onto him despite injury in the preseason. Hillman is 3rd and will receive an opp to get out of the doghouse. I wish there was a Woodhead out there that we could pickup.

StugotsIII
02-03-2014, 10:15 PM
1. Cut Holliday...he makes way too many terrible errors that end up costing the team. He is a liability returning punts as he fumbles constantly and has bad judgement returning kicks. He is too small to play any other position.

2. Von Miller need to get his sh*t together. Enough with whatever off the field BS he partakes in...get someone to get his damn head screwed on right.

3. Safety play needs to improve. Either via draft or FA.

4. MLBer worth a damn would be nice.

5. Decker...let him walk...a decent WR will replace him instantly...especially with Manning. D. Thomas is the WR to pay...not Decker.

6. Shore up the OL...get Clady healthy and add another piece.

7. Get rid of players that constantly fumble.

8. Work on turning around the turnover margin...which is terrible.

bpc
02-03-2014, 10:16 PM

Yup. I hate to say it but this teams Super Bowl was beating New England.

theAPAOps5
02-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Blow it all up, and Manning should retire. I wrote a blog post about it you know. Then move the team to Dubai and call themselves the blades.

WOOOOOOO!

:)