PDA

View Full Version : What the team should do to move forward

SVine
02-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Lots of knee jerk reactions, myself included, with strong opinions on how the Broncos should move forward. It seems that the majority of Mane posters don't want Fox to be fired, and probably even a bigger majority want Peyton to come back.

But going forward, what should this team do? Keep most the roster intact and hope you don't have so many injuries? Purge players, and if so, which ones? Purge any of the coaches? Hope you have a good draft? (although having the 2nd worst draft position makes it extremely unlikely that the draft helps the Broncos moreso than it helps other teams)

Tombstone RJ
02-02-2014, 10:52 PM
this team needs to get more physical and that starts with the defense. On offense, they have to run the ball effectively. I'd have no problem firing the special teams coach as well because the special teams sucked too so make that coach the sacrificial "your outta here" firing.

R8R H8R
02-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Obviously, not physical enough. Improve that and let's see.

Popps
02-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Size and speed at LB, S and in the secondary. Draft a young pass-rusher, and figure out a way to enable our O-line to be able to punch teams in the mouth when we need to.

SEA got pressure up front with 3-4 guys all night, too. That's devastating for an offense.
There's our lesson for next season right there...

Agamemnon
02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Yes drafting physical defensive players will totally fix our turnover issues and the fact that we have a regular season QB trying to carry a team in the playoffs.

::)

Action
02-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Seattle's gameplan was pretty much what Giants did the Patriots in 07-08, in regards to rushing the QB.

We need to be more physical on defense. Running the ball, we can improve but I don't think we need to emphasize taking the ball out of Peyton's hands. Anytime you get down like we did, you're going to pass. We never really got into situations to get the run game truly going. Peyton said they wanted to get Moreno involved heavy too, so I'm sure that was part of the plan.

On top of all that, Seahawks weren't able to run the ball very well and still win and play well on offense.

Get some bigger and better LBs... specifically MLB. Get some bigger physical guys up front.

What's funny is, the most physical guy on our dline is probably Vickerson/Knighton...and Vickerson was drafted by the Seahawks. I'd say Vickerson is a more physical player though...nastier.

They obviously have a formula over there for physicality.

Agamemnon
02-02-2014, 11:04 PM
God you people are killing me. It took the Seahawks three or four years to build that roster of physical defenders. We have a year or two with Manning and we are going to be drafting late every year. The reality is that we are what we are unless a rebuild starts. The only way this team wins a Super Bowl is if they stop turning the ball over. I have little faith in that department.

Tombstone RJ
02-02-2014, 11:09 PM
God you people are killing me. It took the Seahawks three or four years to build that roster of physical defenders. We have a year or two with Manning and we are going to be drafting late every year. The reality is that we are what we are unless a rebuild starts. The only way this team wins a Super Bowl is if they stop turning the ball over. I have little faith in that department.

wrong, it took Seattle getting lucky finding Russell Wilson--a QB--to get them to the SB. As good as that defense is, without Wilson making those key third down conversions, the team is not the same.

sure, the Broncos helped Seattle by crapping their pants. But the Broncos can absolutely fix that by having a more effective running game (Manning made some very bad throws due to pressure) and having a defense that can get pressure with 4 guys up front.

BigPlayShay
02-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Run the ball more, and effectively. Stay healthy.

Crushaholic
02-02-2014, 11:14 PM
We need to get our depth back, on the offensive line. It was embarrassing to see the push Seattle got, on our line...

Action
02-02-2014, 11:16 PM
We need to get our depth back, on the offensive line. It was embarrassing to see the push Seattle got, on our line...

This. I think we need a big physical guard, Iupati type.

Agamemnon
02-02-2014, 11:16 PM
wrong, it took Seattle getting lucky finding Russell Wilson--a QB--to get them to the SB. As good as that defense is, without Wilson making those key third down conversions, the team is not the same.

sure, the Broncos helped Seattle by crapping their pants. But the Broncos can absolutely fix that by having a more effective running game (Manning made some very bad throws due to pressure) and having a defense that can get pressure with 4 guys up front.

I really think you are delusional if you think our offense is ever going to be balanced with Peyton Manning at QB. Also do you really see rookies fixing this defense overnight?

Oh and turnovers. Let's get down to what cost us this game. Seattle had a +29 turnover differential going into this game as I recall and Denver was +0 or some such. That played out tonight right before our eyes. That's hard to fix unless you change the culture of a team, and I just don't see that happening in the year or two Manning has left.

Tombstone RJ
02-02-2014, 11:20 PM
I really think you are delusional if you think our offense is ever going to be balanced with Peyton Manning at QB. Also do you really see rookies fixing this defense overnight?

Oh and turnovers. Let's get down to what cost us this game. Seattle had a +29 turnover differential going into this game as I recall and Denver was +0 or some such. That played out tonight right before our eyes. That's hard to fix unless you change the culture of a team, and I just don't see that happening in the year or two Manning has left.

You can always improve the defense, what does that have to do with Manning? Nada. Not a friggen thing. Yes, the Broncos can make the defense better, more physical and do it in a short amount of time. This has nothing to do with Manning.

As for the Broncos offense, they have to run the ball better too, and that means being more physical up front. Sure, Manning is gonna be Manning but even when Manning retires, having an effective running game will help the next QB.

Agamemnon
02-02-2014, 11:25 PM
You can always improve the defense, what does that have to do with Manning? Nada. Not a friggen thing. Yes, the Broncos can make the defense better, more physical and do it in a short amount of time. This has nothing to do with Manning.

As for the Broncos offense, they have to run the ball better too, and that means being more physical up front. Sure, Manning is gonna be Manning but even when Manning retires, having an effective running game will help the next QB.

I'm 100% with you on the improved running game idea. But hell, we don't even use a fullback. That's the issue with Manning right now. He dictates what offense we are going to run and it's not an offense geared towards a balanced attack with a great running game.

Also the defense will get better simply due to getting healthy, and yes we might hit some home runs with immediate impact defensive rookes, but in the end if we don't stop turning the ball over it won't matter.

sgbfan
02-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Maybe we should trade our second round pick for a first rounder next year that gets us an all-pro safety, and draft an all pro CB in the fifth round. While we're at it, why don't we pick up 3-4 starters as UDFA and an awesome QB in the third round. That would be a good start...

broncosteven
02-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Resign DRC - Rework CHamp

Resign Big Deck, I would float Welker as trade bait for either D player of need or a draft pick, what ever the market would bear, then trade up for a BPA type of player until the 3rd round. If there is no market for Wes and still some cap space to move around then keep Wes. Keep Caldwell, try out Robinson in TC. I would also trade/cut Dreesen(sp?) then bring in a blocking FB to run some I formation plays with the FB cleaning the holes inside rather than stacking the OL from LT to RT and pulling a guard all the time. Plus with a blocking FB he could catch some balls out in the flat and help in pass pro.
Let KM Leave, Ball is the same player if not better, he always gets hurt in big games and cannot play a full season anymore.
Lure Bobby Turner to the Broncos and hire him as a RB coach, let him draft an RB where ever he wants to or if he finds one in FA let him make a move.

Get Harris and Von and Big Vick back 100%, paying Big Vick as much as we can.

Give Beadles a low ball offer (only if Kuper cannot play as a backup) move Clark inside to LG, Draft a Tackle/Guard/or maybe even C.

Draft A pure rushing DE, MIKE, SAFETY, CB, land another safety and CB that are solid Vets in FA, maybe even a MIKE vet too. Would rather see them get a MIKE via draft but we will see.

Getting Bobby Turner would be key, our run game is setup with the pass and we could do nothing last night. Get Turner even as a talent evaluator and find a tweener even if they have to add in some zone for him (hence the I formation FB).

An old Manning or Young QBOTF would need a stout D and great run game, 2 things we do not have. Get that great D and great run game and we are popping corks this time next year and not reading goofy butt hurt posts about blowing everything up and starting over like the Raiders after they lost their SB!

Agamemnon
02-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Resign DRC - Rework CHamp

Resign Big Deck, I would float Welker as trade bait for either D player of need or a draft pick, what ever the market would bear, then trade up for a BPA type of player until the 3rd round. If there is no market for Wes and still some cap space to move around then keep Wes. Keep Caldwell, try out Robinson in TC. I would also trade/cut Dreesen(sp?) then bring in a blocking FB to run some I formation plays with the FB cleaning the holes inside rather than stacking the OL from LT to RT and pulling a guard all the time. Plus with a blocking FB he could catch some balls out in the flat and help in pass pro.
Let KM Leave, Ball is the same player if not better, he always gets hurt in big games and cannot play a full season anymore.
Lure Bobby Turner to the Broncos and hire him as a RB coach, let him draft an RB where ever he wants to or if he finds one in FA let him make a move.

Get Harris and Von and Big Vick back 100%, paying Big Vick as much as we can.

Give Beadles a low ball offer (only if Kuper cannot play as a backup) move Clark inside to LG, Draft a Tackle/Guard/or maybe even C.

Draft A pure rushing DE, MIKE, SAFETY, CB, land another safety and CB that are solid Vets in FA, maybe even a MIKE vet too. Would rather see them get a MIKE via draft but we will see.

Getting Bobby Turner would be key, our run game is setup with the pass and we could do nothing last night. Get Turner even as a talent evaluator and find a tweener even if they have to add in some zone for him (hence the I formation FB).

An old Manning or Young QBOTF would need a stout D and great run game, 2 things we do not have. Get that great D and great run game and we are popping corks this time next year and not reading goofy butt hurt posts about blowing everything up and starting over like the Raiders after they lost their SB!

Get a great D and a great run game in a year or two and hope age doesn't start catching up with Manning? Great plan. ::)

bronc_fan23
02-02-2014, 11:39 PM
We need two of the best players in the NFL back off of the injury list, along with our up and coming star CB.

bigbucks24
02-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Free Agents
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Knowshon Moreno
Robert Ayers
Wesley Woodyard
Mike Adams
Stewart Bradley
Quentin Jammer
Zane Beadles
Shaun Phillips
Paris Lenon
Dan Koppen
Andre Caldwell
Winston Justice
Michael Huff
Eric Decker
Steve Vallos

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein
Chris Harris
Trindon Holliday

Exclusive Rights Free Agents
Tony Carter
Duke Ihenacho
Brandon Marshall

And nearly no cap space currently. What do you do?

rolandftw
02-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Rework Champ's contract and move him over to Safety. He says he wants to come back and will consider that. If not, you have to cut him as he's not worth $10 million a year, anymore. More offensive line depth.

Let Decker go to the highest bidder. Need a less finesse WR, one that isn't whining about pass interference calls all game long. Re-Sign DRC. Need defensive ends, especially if Wolfe isn't the same. Definitely need to draft/sign a MLB as well.

Not going to happen, but fire John Fox and the rest of the coaching staff.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 01:22 AM
Rework Champ's contract and move him over to Safety. He says he wants to come back and will consider that. If not, you have to cut him as he's not worth $10 million a year, anymore. More offensive line depth.

Let Decker go to the highest bidder. Need a less finesse WR, one that isn't whining about pass interference calls all game long. Re-Sign DRC. Need defensive ends, especially if Wolfe isn't the same. Definitely need to draft/sign a MLB as well.

Not going to happen, but fire John Fox and the rest of the coaching staff.

I just realized we don't have to fire Fox. We can simply not renew his contract. Suddenly I think it might actually happen. Elway isn't going to fire the guy outright, but after this game he has to see Dan Reeves in John Fox doesn't he? I mean it's so ****ing obvious. Seriously, how do you extend him after this?

rolandftw
02-03-2014, 01:29 AM
I just realized we don't have to fire Fox. We can simply not renew his contract. Suddenly I think it might actually happen. Elway isn't going to fire the guy outright, but after this game he has to see Dan Reeves in John Fox doesn't he? I mean it's so ****ing obvious. Seriously, how do you extend him after this?

I think he has one year left. Was a four year deal at the time. But that doesn't change my view, he and his staff should be gone.

Armchair Bronco
02-03-2014, 01:31 AM
No way Elway fires Fox. He'll demand a new DC but will let Fox command the ship for one more year.

dsmoot
02-03-2014, 01:34 AM

Just remember back. The 97/98 team defense was the weak link in the team. They were not a bad unit but definitely a bend but not break. The key element for that group was their ability to generate turnovers and provide tight coverage. They also had some real physical toughness with Romanowski and Atwater (97). Our current group doesn't produce turnovers, does not lay any wood on the opponent and except for DRC is soft in coverage. Very few times do you see a safety effectively pick up recievers in coverage.

rolandftw
If he doesn't, he's making a big mistake. I tend to agree, he won't fire him. This team is not winning a championship with John Fox as the coach.

I thought the heart attack might actually make him less conservative, with a new outlook on life but he goes into turtle mode even more so then he did before.

Agamemnon
I think he has one year left. Was a four year deal at the time. But that doesn't change my view, he and his staff should be gone.

**** you are right. So one more season at a minimum. Joy.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Just remember back. The 97/98 team defense was the weak link in the team. They were not a bad unit but definitely a bend but not break. The key element for that group was their ability to generate turnovers and provide tight coverage. They also had some real physical toughness with Romanowski and Atwater (97). Our current group doesn't produce turnovers, does not lay any wood on the opponent and except for DRC is soft in coverage. Very few times do you see a safety effectively pick up recievers in coverage.

Those defenses were actually very good. Especially in the playoffs. By no means were they a weak link.

maven
02-03-2014, 01:36 AM
No extension for Fox is the obvious answer.

I think the injuries finally caught up with this team.

BroncoBeavis
02-03-2014, 01:43 AM

Enough blame the D bull****.

4 turnovers?

First half drive summary:

Safety
Punt
INT
INT - Pick 6.
Turnover on downs.

We built the team around offense. They are the ones who lost this game.

dsmoot
02-03-2014, 02:48 AM
Those defenses were actually very good. Especially in the playoffs. By no means were they a weak link.

Compared to the ball control, run the ball down your throat and John Elway throwing the ball offense. Yes they were. I did not say they were terrible. They were opportunistic and created turnovers but teams did move the ball on them. You are correct, they did play better in the playoffs. In the Green Bay Superbowl, they didn't have much of an answer to the Green Bay offense. Thank goodness for the Denver offense.

maven
02-03-2014, 02:53 AM
**** you are right. So one more season at a minimum. Joy.

Losing like this he will probably get a short-term extension rather than a long one with more guarantees.

Doesn't mean he cannot be fired after next year. I think his wagon is hitched to Manning. If Manning calls it a day, assuming they don't win a SB, he will get the boot. Can't see him being around for a rebuild.

dsmoot
02-03-2014, 03:00 AM

4 turnovers?

Safety
Punt
INT
INT - Pick 6.
Turnover on downs.

This game was not just on the offense because of the turnovers. What was the 3rd down conversion rate of the Seattle offense. How did we get down 22 points at half, because the Seattle offense did a great job keeping the ball away from Manning.

I also saw the pathetic special team performance. I also saw the OL unable to keep the Manning clean which led to the turnovers.

Just because my post was mentioning defense did not mean I did not recognize significant factors in ALL phases of the game. My focus in my reply was defense, not stating that all blame was there. The Seattle defense won this game AND forced Denver into all that happened. The Bronco defense in turn had no answer for the Seattle offense either. Hence, 43 - 8

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 03:36 AM
If I was Elway I would have a few drinks and get a good night's sleep, if possible. Then, in the morning I'd send emails to every coach asking for an independent analysis of what went wrong, due in a week. Then, I'd fly to Hawaii and play golf for a week. After the week was up, I'd fly back to Dove Valley, grab a cup of coffee, sit down and read the analyses from the lowest coach on the totem pole to the highest. Then, I'd go from there...

ScottXray
02-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Free Agents
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - re-sign
Knowshon Moreno - keep if not > 2 mill
Robert Ayers let go
Wesley Woodyard sign as depth if possible
Mike Adams - Although he is old he was our best safety -- vet minimum or
Stewart Bradley
Quentin Jammer - let go
Zane Beadles - market sets the cost ...depth signing if cheap enough
Shaun Phillips - Old....only resign if cheap at contract like current
Paris Lenon - depth only
Dan Koppen - let go
Andre Caldwell keep if cheap
Winston Justice market...keep if cheap
Michael Huff - let go
Eric Decker - sign if cheap ( unlikely)
Steve Vallos let go

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein re-sign
Chris Harris re-sign
Trindon Holliday gone

Tony Carter let go unless very cheap
Duke Ihenacho depth only
Brandon Marshall let go

The kicker is now FA starts in March, but the draft isn't until May. This is going to delay a lot of FA movement until very late.

Atwater His Ass
02-03-2014, 07:05 AM
There won't be any major shake ups with Manning still here. There will small course corrections, just like in the 90s. A big help to the offense would be signing a FB similiar to Griffith. An atheletic guy that can block and catch the ball. The offense needs to get tougher and that would be a good way to start.

Other than that, the team needs massive help at DE, S, and MLB. Badly.

BroncoBeavis
02-03-2014, 07:38 AM
This game was not just on the offense because of the turnovers. What was the 3rd down conversion rate of the Seattle offense. How did we get down 22 points at half, because the Seattle offense did a great job keeping the ball away from Manning.

I also saw the pathetic special team performance. I also saw the OL unable to keep the Manning clean which led to the turnovers.

Just because my post was mentioning defense did not mean I did not recognize significant factors in ALL phases of the game. My focus in my reply was defense, not stating that all blame was there. The Seattle defense won this game AND forced Denver into all that happened. The Bronco defense in turn had no answer for the Seattle offense either. Hence, 43 - 8

It was an effin miracle that it was only 8-0 at the end of 1. Then the O turned it over on our 37 and the D finally gave up a touchdown. The O followed up by responding with a pick-6.

We lost the game because our 'dominant' offense got dominated. Blaming the defense requires completely ignoring what this team was built around.

SVine
02-03-2014, 07:56 AM
If I was Elway I would have a few drinks and get a good night's sleep, if possible. Then, in the morning I'd send emails to every coach asking for an independent analysis of what went wrong, due in a week. Then, I'd fly to Hawaii and play golf for a week. After the week was up, I'd fly back to Dove Valley, grab a cup of coffee, sit down and read the analyses from the lowest coach on the totem pole to the highest. Then, I'd go from there...

Sounds like a plan.

I am waiting for Elway to publicly give his thoughts. I fear it will be something like the status quo.

orinjkrush
02-03-2014, 08:10 AM
seems like the WRs were slow coming open, making Manning slow in releasing making the Oline having to protect longer resulting in all the pressure on Manning.

Plus the coaching staff did not consider that the 12th man would be there for Seattle.

Going forward: better protection for Manning up front. A Boldin type receiver to fight through press coverage.

On D: for the umpteenth time, get a stud Safety and an MLB.

And keep our players off of the maryjane in CO.

BroncoBuff
02-03-2014, 08:12 AM
This. I think we need a big physical guard, Iupati type.

We already have one ... his name is Orlando Franklin.

ScottXray
02-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Sounds like a plan.

I am waiting for Elway to publicly give his thoughts. I fear it will be something like the status quo.

Probably right. But everyone sees that the team was completely unprepared
for the game. Like they thought just GETTING to the game was enough to get the trophy.

It was a stinker by the team. And if Elway thought the team was soft after the preseason game ( 42-10), what is he thinking now after the same team destroyed us even worse, on a supposedly neutral field , in the Superbowl.?

I think he will make some changes, but is going to take some time to think clearly. He is not Shanny , throwing the D-coord under the bus every time he failed.

My guess is Fox will not get an extension. Maybe Elway will ASK him to think about retiring, and install Del Rio. But Fox is popular with the players, so it won't be forced.

Elway knows that a great run game is needed, and will look to find pieces to get that established. We don't have that back, or the line to dominate, but we can't keep running Mannings offense that is 60-65% passing. Manning needs to reduce his cut, but we can't go into cap dead space either , so not much will happen there. I think next year is his last with Denver. We either win the bowl next year or its done.

No easy answers , but Elway is not dumb. Changes ARE coming.

DENVERDUI55
02-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Free Agents
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-RE-SIGN
Knowshon Moreno-Bye
Robert Ayers-Probably gone unless will take peanuts
Wesley Woodyard-Gone
Mike Adams-Cheap RE-SIGN
Stewart Bradley-GONE
Quentin Jammer-GONE
Zane Beadles-GONE
Shaun Phillips-RE-SIGN 1 yr deal
Paris Lenon-GONE
Dan Koppen-GONE
Andre Caldwell-RE-SIGN
Winston Justice-GONE
Michael Huff-RE-SIGN CAMP FODDER
Eric Decker-PROBABLY GONE IF WANTING BIG BUCKS
Steve Vallos-GONE

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein-Replaceable
Chris Harris-EXTEND
Trindon Holliday-CUT PLEASE

Tony Carter-KEEP
Duke Ihenacho-CUT
Brandon Marshall-BYE

That and I would get rid of Champ, Dreesen, Tamme and any other spendy contracts besides PM.

LonghornBronco
02-03-2014, 08:25 AM

This x1000

WolfpackGuy
02-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Work on situational football.

Clean up the turnovers.

As far as not being prepared for the crowd noise, that is beyond awful.

BroncoBuff
02-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Free Agents
Knowshon Moreno
Robert Ayers
Wesley Woodyard
Mike Adams
Stewart Bradley
Quentin Jammer
Zane Beadles
Shaun Phillips
Paris Lenon
Dan Koppen
Andre Caldwell
Winston Justice
Michael Huff
Eric Decker
Steve Vallos

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein
Chris Harris
Trindon Holliday

Tony Carter
Duke Ihenacho
Brandon Marshall

ColoradoBuff
02-03-2014, 08:36 AM
what we saw last night was what it was like to have one helluva secondary. we aren't that far from having one if we can lock up DRC and get Harris back healthy. still need better depth at CB. Carter isn't gonna cut it and Webster has potential. Bailey....idk. but we need better Safeties. Mike Adams is worthless and this was Duke's first season getting really any game action. We have to address Safety either in the draft or Free Agent and who knows if Moore will come back healthy. We saw a lot of holes in the team last night. We need a healthy Clady, Miller, Harris, Moore, Wolfe back next year and we should be alright.

sgbfan
02-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Free Agents
Knowshon Moreno
Robert Ayers
Wesley Woodyard
Mike Adams
Stewart Bradley
Quentin Jammer
Zane Beadles
Shaun Phillips
Paris Lenon
Dan Koppen
Andre Caldwell
Winston Justice
Michael Huff
Eric Decker
Steve Vallos

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein
Chris Harris
Trindon Holliday

Tony Carter
Duke Ihenacho
Brandon Marshall

Need to resign group
DRC, Harris

Can resign if at the right price
Decker

Resign if cheap
Moreno
Ayers
Woodyard
Adams
Beadles
Phillips

Let walk and don't even think about having them return
Jammer
Holliday

The rest can come back and fight for a job at the minimum in training camp, but no loss if they go elsewhere.

As for Salary cap, between Bailey, Kuper, Tamme and Dreessen, the Broncos could save about 20 Million in cap room (don't know the cap well enough to know exactly what they could save), all for players that made minimal contribution this year because of injuries, or other players (Julius Thomas) stepping up.

NFLBRONCO
02-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Denver needs a Harvin and a Speed RB added in rotation when facing Sea and SF type D's. Denver needs DE MLB both S spots fixred 2 CB's added. I think it's obvious DRC and Harris are the two best DB's at this point.

HC- With ability to get team fired up in big games. Being flat or playing scared in SB epic fail.

gunns
02-03-2014, 09:29 AM

Uh, the Seahawks have been the #1 defense for the past 2 years and #7 the year before those (points). They were working with a worthless Hasselbeck but made it to the divisionals, Jackson, and a rookie last year, but made it to the divisionals. They had a new DC this year, must be good. I'm just wondering if the pressure of a dominant D might have had something to do with those turnovers. Ya think?

Gutless Drunk
02-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Get a real MLB - Paris Lenon? Really?

Karlos Dansby
Brandon Spikes
Daryl Smith
Jon Beason

all available

Also I don't know why we are paying a punter who never punts in the regular season and corks off 29 yarders in the super bowl $4 million.

MagicHef
02-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm excited to not see Ayers in orange anymore.

BroncoBeavis
02-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Get a real MLB - Paris Lenon? Really?

Karlos Dansby
Brandon Spikes
Daryl Smith
Jon Beason

all available

Also I don't know why we are paying a punter who never punts in the regular season and corks off 29 yarders in the super bowl $4 million.

People are way too homer on what this FO has done over the last few years. At some points they seem to be able to find good bargain-bin talent. But they often seem blind to their own most glaring weaknesses.

The Manning signing gave them a lot of cred around here. But cred doesn't make your decisions for you.

go_broncos
02-03-2014, 09:48 AM
If we want to win games..we need players like Lewis, Sherman that are nasty and show leadership.
On offense and defense, we don't have any of them.
Manning, champ and fox are not leaders.

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 09:48 AM
New offensive line. Very big. Very ugly. Very nasty.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 09:56 AM
No way Elway fires Fox. He'll demand a new DC but will let Fox command the ship for one more year.

Elway has already stated they would talk after the super bowl and an extension is imminent as no coach wants to be a "lame duck" working the final year of their contract with no clarity beyond.

As I stated in another thread, if this is the plan go 2 years. However, I have no doubt Elway will over commit in the 3-5 year range and we will be stuck after Manning.

Sux.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a plan.

Remember last year when he PUBLICALLY stood behind Fox's blunders in the BAL game?

He stated that Fox was right in not trying to move the ball in the last 30 seconds or so in regulation and did not disagree with any of his very, very questionable coaching decisions in that game. He is a big believer in Fox obviously.

Rascal
02-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Switch to a 3-4 defense. Pot roast at nt, with vickerson, williams, and Wolfe at de. Put von at olb, with Irving at the other. Trevathan at MLB with brandon spikes or someone similar next to him. Draft or sign a ss and cb. Resign drc and release champ.

Offense....kick Franklin inside to LG, don't resign beadles, put Clark at rt. Resign Decker if possible.

Cut holiday and st coach.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Free Agents
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-RE-SIGN
Knowshon Moreno-Bye
Robert Ayers-Probably gone unless will take peanuts
Wesley Woodyard-Gone
Mike Adams-Cheap RE-SIGN
Stewart Bradley-GONE
Quentin Jammer-GONE
Zane Beadles-GONE
Shaun Phillips-RE-SIGN 1 yr deal
Paris Lenon-GONE
Dan Koppen-GONE
Andre Caldwell-RE-SIGN
Winston Justice-GONE
Michael Huff-RE-SIGN CAMP FODDER
Eric Decker-PROBABLY GONE IF WANTING BIG BUCKS
Steve Vallos-GONE

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein-Replaceable
Chris Harris-EXTEND
Trindon Holliday-CUT PLEASE

Tony Carter-KEEP
Duke Ihenacho-CUT
Brandon Marshall-BYE

That and I would get rid of Champ, Dreesen, Tamme and any other spendy contracts besides PM.

I agree with all except CUT TONY CARTER DAMNIT! and I would try to re-sign Tamme to a cheap cap friendly deal.

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I want to see us draft or sign a big TE and have Gase implement more 2-TE sets next year. This team needs to be built to beat Seattle.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 10:11 AM
I want to see us draft or sign a big TE and have Gase implement more 2-TE sets next year. This team needs to be built to beat Seattle.

I think Gerrell Robinson can be that guy! With Gibbs coaching I would hope he will be ready. Not giving up on Tamme either at a very cheap salary. Dreesen is gone.

A bigger offense draft/FA need is a SPEEDY receiver like Harvin that can replace Trindon on kickoffs. A Cordarelle Patterson type guy that may also have to replace Decker.

Punisher
02-03-2014, 10:16 AM
MLB, Better O-line and more pass rush

randerson1184
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I think our 1st priority should be safety. We need some big time play-makers in the secondary. An upgrade (or at least some more depth) at MLB. I hate to jump all over Champ Bailey, but he's not what he used to be. We need more depth at corner. Moving Champ to safety probably isn't a bad idea at this point either.

Offensively, I totally agree with letting Beadles go, moving Franklin to RG, & Clark to RT, but we would need to shore up some depth if we go that route. I think Ball & CJ Anderson would be a good duo in the backfield. Assuming we can't re-sign Decker, I'd like to see us bring in a super speedy receiver (Torrey Smith type). Manning needs to continue to build up his arm strength in the offseason.

B-Large
02-03-2014, 10:40 AM

4 turnovers?

Safety
Punt
INT
INT - Pick 6.
Turnover on downs.

Best post of the day so far. Its was Peyton's Offense, and they sucked and made a mockery of this Franchise in the big game. Peyton should publicly apologize to the City of Denver for that pussy ass effort- from the pussy O-line to pussy receivers... it was disqusting.

B-Large
02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Probably right. But everyone sees that the team was completely unprepared
for the game. Like they thought just GETTING to the game was enough to get the trophy.

It was a stinker by the team. And if Elway thought the team was soft after the preseason game ( 42-10), what is he thinking now after the same team destroyed us even worse, on a supposedly neutral field , in the Superbowl.?

I think he will make some changes, but is going to take some time to think clearly. He is not Shanny , throwing the D-coord under the bus every time he failed.

My guess is Fox will not get an extension. Maybe Elway will ASK him to think about retiring, and install Del Rio. But Fox is popular with the players, so it won't be forced.

Elway knows that a great run game is needed, and will look to find pieces to get that established. We don't have that back, or the line to dominate, but we can't keep running Mannings offense that is 60-65% passing. Manning needs to reduce his cut, but we can't go into cap dead space either , so not much will happen there. I think next year is his last with Denver. We either win the bowl next year or its done.

No easy answers , but Elway is not dumb. Changes ARE coming.

We essentially built a team that is not prepared to beat a Seahawks or 49er's, with little ability to change that fact without a serious start over.

Call me crazy, but I think the Chiefs are being built as a better contender to those teams that our beloved Broncos... that D will be better, and they are building a nice stout O-line.

damn.

NFLBRONCO
02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd upgrade

MLB
S
CB
WR
RB (With speed)
DE

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Trade Von Miller to the Ravens for their 17th pick and take CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama. Then take Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford with the 31st pick. 2nd round take Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford. Let Decker, Woodyard and Champ go. Sign Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Rahim should be back, healthy. Sign DRC, if reasonable. Who knows about Wolfe? Keep Ayres depending on Wolfe's status. Better try to hang on to Phillips, also depending, if reasonable. 3rd round: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor. Beadles? Nope. Knowshon? Sorry. Bye. Sign Unrein and Harris.. Trindon? Bye. Carter, Marshall, bye. Ihenacho? Keep if reasonable. 4th round: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida. Caldwell keep. The rest? On a case by case basis depending on $. 5th round: Chris Davis, CB, Auburn. 6th and 7th rounds? BPA

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Trade Von Miller to the Ravens for their 17th pick and take CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama. Then take Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford with the 31st pick. 2nd round take Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford. Let Decker, Woodyard and Champ go. Sign Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Rahim should be back, healthy. Sign DRC, if reasonable. Who knows about Wolfe? Keep Ayres depending on Wolfe's status. Better try to hang on to Phillips, also depending, if reasonable. 3rd round: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor. Beadles? Nope. Knowshon? Sorry. Bye. Sign Unrein and Harris.. Trindon? Bye. Carter, Marshall, bye. Ihenacho? Keep if reasonable. 4th round: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida. Caldwell keep. The rest? On a case by case basis depending on $. 5th round: Chris Davis, CB, Auburn. 6th and 7th rounds? BPA

Trade Von Miller to the ravens? wha?

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Trade Von Miller to the ravens? wha?

He's one infraction away from taking a year off. How helpful was he this season? Let the Ratbirds take the gamble. I don't get the Von love.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 11:06 AM
He's one infraction away from taking a year off. How helpful was he this season? Let the Ratbirds take the gamble. I don't get the Von love.

I'll take my chances on him. And what would the Ravens want him for? They already have Doom and Suggs

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Is it still win now? Manning has one year left IMO. You have an offseason that helps 2014, or one that's gonna help 2015 and beyond?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Is it still win now? Manning has one year left IMO. You have an offseason that helps 2014, or one that's gonna help 2015 and beyond?

If Manning is here, its win now. What other choice do we have?

sgbfan
02-03-2014, 11:17 AM

I could be OK trading him, but you need at least a top 5 pick or 2 first rounders. And trade him to a team like Cleveland where it won't come back to kick us in the *** later.

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 11:19 AM
I'll take my chances on him. And what would the Ravens want him for? They already have Doom and Suggs

Suggs is 31, got one sack in the second half of the season, and the Ravens are about to take a major cap hit for him.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Suggs is 31, got one sack in the second half of the season, and the Ravens are about to take a major cap hit for him.

Id still rather keep Von.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Why trade miller when his value is at its lowest? One infraction away on a busted knee?

Gutless Drunk
02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I could be OK trading him, but you need at least a top 5 pick or 2 first rounders. And trade him to a team like Cleveland where it won't come back to kick us in the *** later.

Von's the only guy we have that forces turnovers. After re-watching the entire season leading up to last night he was way more impact-full than I remember. We desperately need more turnovers. We need the 2012 Von back in a big way.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Von's the only guy we have that forces turnovers. After re-watching the entire season leading up to last night he was way more impact-full than I remember. We desperately need more turnovers. We need the 2012 Von back in a big way.

The last turnover we forced was when? Against the texans?

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Exactly. There's not much else we have. Need to build around him not replace him.

sgbfan
02-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Yeah, he would have helped, but he's going to command a 5 year 80 million dollar contract next season if he's healthy. Is he worth the risk this close to a one year suspension?

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
I see Elway going after either Chris Johnson or Darren McFadden. He know's he needs that RB that is going to command respect and this will help out Manning tremendously.

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Anyway, I was just trying to work out a scenario of what they could do. Obviously, they can't fill every hole in one season. Stanford plays mean and nasty so I would like to see those kind of guys come in. Byrd would be a nice upgrade at safety. As far as Von goes, yes, he's a dominant player. He could also get a year off at any moment. The Broncos have to move in another direction. Going after a guy like Mosley would be like putting an Al Wilson type player back in the middle. Worth it, IMO. Anyway, just brainstorming here. Some people are now talking about Mosley as a top ten pick, so it's probably moot at any point, this early.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 11:46 AM
I see Elway going after either Chris Johnson or Darren McFadden. He know's he needs that RB that is going to command respect and this will help out Manning tremendously.

McFadden can't even command respect where he's at. No thanks on that broken down back.

TonyR
02-03-2014, 11:46 AM
I see Elway going after either Chris Johnson or Darren McFadden.

After using high picks on Hillman and Ball, I highly doubt it. I think Ball is the guy next year with either Moreno or, if he leaves, another vet backing him up.

Tombstone RJ
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM

McFadden would great.

broncosteven
02-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Free Agents
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Priority
Knowshon Moreno - Let him walk
Robert Ayers - Lowball
Wesley Woodyard - Let him walk
Mike Adams - Let him walk
Stewart Bradley - Any question about letting this bum walk?
Quentin Jammer - GONE
Zane Beadles - If Kuper is healthy put an offer on the table but don't spend too much
Shaun Phillips - If he takes a low ball offer he was decent depth, just not a starter.
Paris Lenon - Let him walk
Dan Koppen - Let him walk
Andre Caldwell - Resign him if possible just for stability
Winston Justice - He is gone
Michael Huff - Lowball Training camp offer
Eric Decker - Priority, just to keep him away from kFc or Pats
Steve Vallos - Gone

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein - Nice depth, don't over spend - He and Pot Roast were the only ones I saw give any effort
Chris Harris - Priority, 3 only after DRC and Decker
Trindon Holliday - Let him walk

Tony Carter - Low ball, depth but I think he is in someones doghouse and won't be back.
Duke Ihenacho - Lowball depth
Brandon Marshall - LOLWUT?

Draft well and rework Champ, they found the money last year. If anything they could try to trade Welker and his big Cap hit for a draft pick, he was a nice have but with the emergence with Thomas he is expendable plus he is one hit from being done after those concussions. I don't see them trying to move him though.

broncosteven
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
After using high picks on Hillman and Ball, I highly doubt it. I think Ball is the guy next year with either Moreno or, if he leaves, another vet backing him up.

Your right only I see the other vet backing Ball up as Chris Johnson. This team needs a speed back at RB, even Hillman is slow and he is supposed to be the fastest.

I wonder if this is the year CJ makes the team and can prove he can get it done. Not sure what has been keeping him off the field, maybe all the depth they have had to carry on D plus KM having a career year and Ball emerging.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
We need a dominant running game. McFadden and Johnson both need a change of scenery and either would shine with Peyton in this offense. Our injuries did catch up to us yesterday, and to win the Super Bowl, your team has to be not only fortunate but injury free and Seattle was very healthy all year.

BroncoMan4ever
02-03-2014, 12:02 PM

why would he pay either of those guys the multi million dollar contract they will want when there are so many of our own guys who need new contracts especially considering the draft picks spent at the position the last 2 seasons. if Elway is going to break the bank on free agents it needs to be on Defense. we need Safeties because ours are terrible or coming off major injury. We need Corners because right now i think the only guys who have contracts beyond yesterday are Bolden and Webster. We need LB help. Trevathan is the lone guy i see not getting replaced. Woodyard has been a warrior for us, but he isn't a MIKE and if the team felt he was better than Trevathan at the WILL they would have moved him there instead of just replacing him with Lenon. Our DE position needs to be addressed. Malik Jackson and Wolfe are the only decent guys we have at the position are signed beyond yesterday and Wolfe is an unknown.

that defense needs to be completely rebooted.

our style of play needs to change also. all our complex playing based on speed and timing went out the window when a more physical team just punched us in the mouth.

i'm ok going into next season with Ball, Hillman and Anderson at RB. they can get the job done. Defense is where I am concerned and want money spent.

also we need to find someone other than Von who can cause turnovers.

SVine
02-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Yeah, he would have helped, but he's going to command a 5 year 80 million dollar contract next season if he's healthy. Is he worth the risk this close to a one year suspension?

If Von commands such a salary I might quit following professional sports. Seriously, he has violated league rules multiple times and now has health durability issues. No way in hell he is in position to command money like that.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:03 PM
We need all those things you just mentioned BronoMan4ever and a dominant running game. The backs we have don't scare anybody.

BroncoMan4ever
02-03-2014, 12:12 PM

if we are going after a vet back, i'd rather go after MJD than either of those guys. Johnson is a all or nothing back who has been **** the last couple seasons. McFadden thinks he is worth more than he is. MJD could be good depth and with a change of scenery could probably flourish for a season or 2. plus considering the injury plagued season he just had, he won't command huge money.

BroncoMan4ever
02-03-2014, 12:15 PM
We need all those things you just mentioned BronoMan4ever and a dominant running game. The backs we have don't scare anybody.

they don't need to scare teams. they just need to be consistent and good enough that teams have to respect our running game. yes it would be awesome to have that vaunted running game again, but in terms of needs for the team that is way down on the list.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Let's see what Elway thinks about that come March.

sgbfan
02-03-2014, 12:21 PM
If Von commands such a salary I might quit following professional sports. Seriously, he has violated league rules multiple times and now has health durability issues. No way in hell he is in position to command money like that.

He'll be at least 5/60, but if he plays like he did in '12 next year, he could get a lot more.

eddie mac
02-03-2014, 12:30 PM
What should we do to move forward.

Calm down, take a breather and think before some of you post more of the ludicrous bollox that's been posted on here in the last 12 hours.

Trust John Elway, he's made some incredible moves to take this team from Tim Tebow to the Superbowl. We didn't play yesterday we all know that, and even if we did, it may not have mattered because Seattle were better all over the field.

We achieved some incredible things this year as a team, despite having arguably 2 of our best players missing for most of the year (Clady/Miller) and losing key starters throughout the season in Vickerson, Moore, Wolfe and Harris. Champ Bailey played what 3-4 games and never looked anywhere near 100%. We lost our coach to heart problems, we lost our starting DE to a fax balls-up. To even get where we did and how we got there was an achievement.

I dont think any other offense will ever come close to what we achieved this year but the issue is many wont give a **** because they didn't perform when it mattered. I disagree with that, we still should have our QB for at least another year or 2 and we need to see if we can retool again given our limited cap situation and get our injured players back and fighting to make another push in 2014/15.

I still believe in this team and I'm a little surprised at some who seem to have given up after a one woeful performance.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Thats correct Eddie Mac, all we can do is try to pick the brains of the front office, but in the end, they will do what they see fit regarding this team. I see us making another Super Bowl run.

sgbfan
02-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Calm down, take a breather and think before some of you post more of the ludicrous bollox that's been posted on here in the last 12 hours.

Trust John Elway, he's made some incredible moves to take this team from Tim Tebow to the Superbowl. We didn't play yesterday we all know that, and even if we did, it may not have mattered because Seattle were better all over the field.

We achieved some incredible things this year as a team, despite having arguably 2 of our best players missing for most of the year (Clady/Miller) and losing key starters throughout the season in Vickerson, Moore, Wolfe and Harris. Champ Bailey played what 3-4 games and never looked anywhere near 100%. We lost our coach to heart problems, we lost our starting DE to a fax balls-up. To even get where we did and how we got there was an achievement.

I dont think any other offense will ever come close to what we achieved this year but the issue is many wont give a **** because they didn't perform when it mattered. I disagree with that, we still should have our QB for at least another year or 2 and we need to see if we can retool again given our limited cap situation and get our injured players back and fighting to make another push in 2014/15.

I still believe in this team and I'm a little surprised at some who seem to have given up after a one woeful performance.

Give us at least a weak before you expect us tobe objective and have clear perspective.

Crushaholic
02-03-2014, 12:36 PM

We just didn't want to show our hand, for next season's regular season game. Yeah...That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...:rofl::hitself:

Taco John
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
I think the Broncos should take one more shot with this team, and if it doesn't work out, let the Ozzy era commence...

Houshyamama
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
We need to get healthy.

DENVERDUI55
02-03-2014, 12:41 PM

I said the same thing you said but I am surprised you are surprised and the drama on this board. It is comical that people want to blow up a team that was down 6 starters this year and was 1 win away from winning it all. The only thing that may need to be blown up is the orange jerseys.

eddie mac
02-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Thats correct Eddie Mac, all we can do is try to pick the brains of the front office, but in the end, they will do what they see fit regarding this team. I see us making another Super Bowl run.

There's no ****ing way Bowlen or Elway are gonna change direction on this. This was always a 3-4 year plan and after the way Manning played this year bar obviously the Superbowl, he still has plenty of juice in the tank and we'll do everything possible to put the best players around him we can. We certainly wont blow up this roster.

eddie mac
02-03-2014, 12:47 PM
I think the Broncos should take one more shot with this team, and if it doesn't work out, let the Ozzy era commence...

It was always gonna be a 3-4 year plan depending on Manning's durability and as shown this year he's still superb, bar obviously yesterday but there was no way he was winning that one on his own. Seattle were just too good.

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:48 PM
That's the one thing about football that I hate the most, injuries. Teams can never play at full strength because they always will have people missing. Hopefully next season, we won't have so many key pieces missing from our team. It really sucks.

yerner
02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
I don't know what they do, I'm sure it's all up to Manning. They're all in on this thing with him. Unfortunately, I don't think shaping a team around a 38 year old quarterback that commands so much of the salary cap will lead to a Superbowl win.

HorseHead
02-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Not one to tell people how to get over being upset. Everybody and everyone is different.

My advice: take some time to get over this, get a Kindle or something. And then enjoy next year, 'cuz major changes are on the horizon after this "window" closes...

long beach bronco
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
I would love to see a dynamic runner on this team who hits the hole with confidence and authority. Manning would be more dangerous than ever.

DENVERDUI55
02-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I would love to see a dynamic runner on this team who hits the hole with confidence and authority. Manning would be more dangerous than ever.

I actually think Ball and Anderson would be just fine. I like what I have seen from Anderson in his few chances.

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 01:44 PM

And with all due respect, I'm surprised you're taking this slapdown so lightly. Our biggest injury problem was on defense. It wasn't the D that caved in this one (until the offense had already sunk them beyond hope with TOs). It was "The Greatest Offense in NFL History" that blew this one.

If this team doesn't change some fundamentals, does it stand up any better to the Seahawks, Niners, Carolina or the Cardinals next year? I'm not trying to be combative here, but 43 - 8 is a pretty convincing way of saying that something is fundamentally wrong. Not to mention, Peyton has made it to a lot of playoff games, but he also has the worst record of any QB in playoff history. Like TJ said, teams usually stumble off into the wilderness for a few years after an ass kicking of this magnitude.

enjolras
02-03-2014, 01:52 PM
If this team doesn't change some fundamentals, does it stand up any better to the Seahawks, Niners, Carolina or the Cardinals next year?

I'm actually really excited about the schedule. We need some experience with the speed and intensity these teams play at. We might go 1-3 against the NFC West, but we'll be in a much better position to win a Superbowl next year because of it.

HorseHead
02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
I know the cliche' lines seldom work, but somewhat applicable here. It was a sh-tty game, not a sh-tty season. Chill....

Keep your fingers crossed we stay healthy, tweek here and there, and we're 11-5 to 13-3 next year, and right back in the mix. Cheer up, even Ali got his ass handed to him on occasion...

RADRHATR
02-03-2014, 02:04 PM
We should try and re-sign Decker if he is willing to do so knowing that he is best benefited by being in Denver. Let Moreno test the free agent market. That is all on offense ( remember Clady will be back ).

Defense is a whole new story, we need to let Champ retire and look at getting some much needed help in the back end of the defense. A young DE would be good and Von Miller needs to be tamed by management.

Special teams needs an overhaul, not sure why we are pooch kicking when we have one of the strongest legs in the league, for that the ST coach needs to be fired. Idiotic!

And for gods sake Manning should NOT retire! He needs to win the SB next year more than anyone.

razorwire77
02-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Offensively:

I think we need to get Clady back, draft a RT with a nasty streak and move Franklin inside. I think it's time to bid Zane Beadles adieu.

I think you offer Decker a solid no. 2 contract (which he'll refuse) and you bid him adieu. Have fun playing for a 4-12 Jacksonville squad in front of 16 people. Replace Decker with a more physical receiver.

Looks like Moreno is done here and I think Ball will be a feature back next year, but I don't think we should just hand it to him. Bring in a proven veteran back to challenge him. Give Hillman one more chance to prove himself as a home run hitter worthy of a roster spot. Every year there is a character issue back with a 2nd or 3rd round grade that falls to the 5th or 6th round. This year might be the time to take a flier on such a player.

Defense:

We need a true blueblood Mike linebacker with a nasty streak to blow **** up. Not a converted Sam. Not a converted Will. Not a feel good story of redemption, not a converted SS, spend a Goddamn first round draft pick on a MLB, or get the best available free-agent Mike you can get.

Not feeling our safeties. Nacho absolutely sucked balls last night. Mike Adams is a fringe roster type and even Rahim Moore has had well documented instances of suckyness (although he's clearly the most talented of the three.). Draft a ball hawking safety in the 2nd round. Don't care if he's a FS or a SS, we need both.

D-line I think we're fine (crazy as that is to say out loud). Williams flashed a lot of ability in the 2nd half of the season, Potroast is a beast and Big Vick is a solid rotational guy with much needed attitude.

Time to find another young situational edge pass-rusher to pair with Von.

As far as LB goes I think Danny is solid and Von Miller will regain his form.

Champ is done guys. Maybe he can make the move as an in the box SS, but I have my doubts.

Re-sign DRC as your no. 1 CB, Chris Harris as a no. 2/slot and continue to groom Kayvon Webster (who I still think is going to emerge as the most improved player on the team next year.) Draft another CB fairly high (3-4 round) and maybe rent a vet for a one year deal.

broncosteven
02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Offensively:

I think we need to get Clady back, draft a RT with a nasty streak and move Franklin inside. I think it's time to bid Zane Beadles adieu.

I think you offer Decker a solid no. 2 contract (which he'll refuse) and you bid him adieu. Have fun playing for a 4-12 Jacksonville squad in front of 16 people. Replace Decker with a more physical receiver.

Looks like Moreno is done here and I think Ball will be a feature back next year, but I don't think we should just hand it to him. Bring in a proven veteran back to challenge him. Give Hillman one more chance to prove himself as a home run hitter worthy of a roster spot. Every year there is a character issue back with a 2nd or 3rd round grade that falls to the 5th or 6th round. This year might be the time to take a flier on such a player.

Defense:

We need a true blueblood Mike linebacker with a nasty streak to blow **** up. Not a converted Sam. Not a converted Will. Not a feel good story of redemption, not a converted SS, spend a Goddamn first round draft pick on a MLB, or get the best available free-agent Mike you can get.

Not feeling our safeties. Nacho absolutely sucked balls last night. Mike Adams is a fringe roster type and even Rahim Moore has had well documented instances of suckyness (although he's clearly the most talented of the three.). Draft a ball hawking safety in the 2nd round. Don't care if he's a FS or a SS, we need both.

D-line I think we're fine (crazy as that is to say out loud). Williams flashed a lot of ability in the 2nd half of the season, Potroast is a beast and Big Vick is a solid rotational guy with much needed attitude.

Champ is done guys. Maybe he can make the move as an in the box SS, but I have my doubts.

Re-sign DRC as your no. 1 CB, Chris Harris as a no. 2/slot and continue to groom Kayvon Webster (who I still think is going to emerge as the most improved player on the team next year.) Draft another CB fairly high (3-4 round) and maybe rent a vet for a one year deal.

Why not flip Clark to RT if your going to move Franklin inside. Is Franklin mobile enough to pull?

If they let Beadles walk because they can't pay him I would rather have Clark at LG and leave the rest of the line intact.

Hopefully they are ready to move on from KM, he came cheap this year and finally grew up but then sits out the last of the SB hurt after being shut down all day in both run and pass game. I would pass on Hillman too, THIS TEAM NEEDS TO FOCUS ON PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL. Let Anderson show his stuff and bring in a VET or draft pick.

I am serious about wanting Elway to go after Bobby Turner. Kubes may make a push for him in Balt. Do what it takes to bring Turner back, pay him, let him find a diamond in the rough and coach him up.

Champ will be back if they can work out a lower deal, I hope they try him at safety. It is going to be real hard to pay both DRC and Harris in the same year, that would be tough to lose them. This is why I think they let Beadles and KM go among a lot of other dudes.

There are guys they have been developing like Robinson who will get a chance to shine. I just hope this offseason has less drama. Than last year. It is amazing we made it to the SB after Faxgate, all those DUI's, Fox's heart surgery, Von's issues, etc... That is a lot to over come and still make it to the SB.

Houshyamama
02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Clady - Franklin - Ramirez - Vasquez - Clark

Kuper for depth?

With a Champ restructure, we might even be able to get another quality signing like Vasquez. I know nothing about switching positions on the OLine so the above may be ridiculous. Point is we could have a huge amount of talent there next year if we stay healthy. I think that OLine would have made yesterday's game at least more competitive.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-03-2014, 02:56 PM
That's the one thing about football that I hate the most, injuries. Teams can never play at full strength because they always will have people missing. Hopefully next season, we won't have so many key pieces missing from our team. It really sucks.

That's why a great FO is needed to win. Ours has done some great things but also have shown the ability to screw up too(trusting Irving to be starting MLB for example).

All teams go through injury problems. Just seems like ours only hits our key players.

NFLBRONCO
02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
We all enjoyed scoring 606 pts and breaking all these records that was fun. 2014 we need to refocus on winning a ring.

Really look at this team we all know about our D issues but, what about offense issues we have more problems then you'd think even from an O scoring 606 pts.

Denver has no answers on NFC west D's. Our WR's play small against any physical DB's they can't win most battles. Our RB's have the power but, not the speed to make any big plays to scare D's and open up passing game.

Enter The Dragon
02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Better Oline, mlb, safety. Tougher players in general.

TonyR
02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
I was thinking the D was okay last night, but reading this now I'm not so sure...

Denver’s defense had a game it will try in vain to forget. After putting up impressive performances against the Chargers and Patriots to help push the Broncos into Super Bowl XLVIII, the Broncos offered precious little resistance against Russell Wilson & Co. on Sunday. The final score will judge them harshly — 16 of Seattle’s 43 points came from defensive and special teams scores — but they repeatedly couldn’t get off the field. The Broncos allowed Seattle to score on six of its first seven meaningful drives,2 and by the time they had forced their second stop of the game, there was less than 10 minutes to go in the fourth quarter.
Should we really have expected a lot out of the Denver defense, though, given the personnel who are actually suiting up these days? This was a team that, even in healthier times, finished the year 15th in DVOA. When you look at those who were actually seeing serious reps for the Broncos on Sunday, there are just not many players with much of a pedigree. Denver’s defense is basically split up into bargain-basement veteran reclamation projects signed to short-term deals from free agency (Mike Adams, Terrance Knighton, Paris Lenon, Shaun Phillips, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie), Day 3 draft picks (Omar Bolden, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan), and undrafted free agents (Carter, Duke Ihenacho, Mitch Unrein, Wesley Woodyard). The only defensive contributors for Denver on Sunday who weren’t acquired on the cheap were Ayers, Bailey, 2011 third-rounder Nate Irving, and 2013 first-rounder Sylvester Williams. http://grantland.com/features/seattles-best/

Lolad
02-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Free Agents
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie -Resign
Knowshon Moreno-Low ball
Robert Ayers-Low ball
Wesley Woodyard-Walk
Mike Adams-Walk
Stewart Bradley-Walk
Quentin Jammer-Walk
Zane Beadles-Walk
Shaun Phillips
Paris Lenon-Walk
Dan Koppen-Walk
Andre Caldwell-Walk
Winston Justice-Walk
Michael Huff-Walk
Eric Decker-Walk or low ball
Steve Vallos-Walk

Restricted Free Agents
Mitch Unrein-Walk
Chris Harris -Resign
Trindon Holliday-Walk

Tony Carter-Walk
Duke Ihenacho-Walk
Brandon Marshall-Walk

I would restructure champ or show him the door, move Orlando Franklin to LG, draft a RT, MLB, and Safety.

Bigdawg26
02-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Offensively:

Defense:

I agree with most of this except I would go FS in the first or Whitner and/or Jarious Byrd as a FA. And I would take a MLB in the second because it always seem to be a second round MLB that is a stud.

BroncoBeavis
02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
I was thinking the D was okay last night, but reading this now I'm not so sure...

http://grantland.com/features/seattles-best/

Nobody thought the D was great, or even good. But if the O had been able to muster even a single TD drive in the first half, instead of any of the 3 effective turnovers, the whole complexion of the game could've been different.

They gave up two field goals, then were given a 37 yard field and finally gave up the TD, even then only having really given up 13 points in the first half. Our offense directly gave up 9 points on their own. In addition to being completely shut out.

Goes against everything this team was built around. Yeah, maybe they folded after that trainwreck kickoff to start the second half. But as far as blame game goes, the Defense comes in a distant third.

bronco_diesel
02-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Moving foward...

First I think any mention of firing Fox or Del Rio is just silly. They got to the freakin SB without many kep players in key positions.

Second is to get healthy. Then:

I think they need to commit to the run - it's time for Monte to be the guy. I think he's got the goods. I love KM, but next year he should backup Monte and feature a power rushing attack.

They need a good MLB - no more rentals.

They also need to bring in some nasty. I think this is the most glaring issue. They need a guy that everyone else hates. (Ray Lewis, Romo, Sherman)

I also think they need to address the safety position.

enjolras
02-03-2014, 03:47 PM
First I think any mention of firing Fox or Del Rio is just silly

It's not just about personnel. The style of defense you're seeing Seattle and San Francisco roll out is the future of the game. These coaches are the past. Pete Carroll just won a superbowl by taking advantage of a league full old school coaches who don't have the guts to run high risk/high reward schemes.

The NFL is finally catching up with college football. There is a reason that Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, and Pete Carroll are having so much success. They are bringing that aggressive college mindset to the NFL.

Sticking with Fox and Del Rio (certainly Del Rio) is a recipe for certain failure. You just can't play that style of defense and compete at the top of the league.

Cito Pelon
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Elway won't say anything publically, but he's steaming, no doubt about it. He was pissed off about the 40-10 domination in preseason, no doubt he's steaming even more about this domination abomination.

BroncoBeavis
02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
It's not just about personnel. The style of defense you're seeing Seattle and San Francisco roll out is the future of the game. These coaches are the past. Pete Carroll just won a superbowl by taking advantage of a league full old school coaches who don't have the guts to run high risk/high reward schemes.

The NFL is finally catching up with college football. There is a reason that Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, and Pete Carroll are having so much success. They are bringing that aggressive college mindset to the NFL.

Sticking with Fox and Del Rio (certainly Del Rio) is a recipe for certain failure. You just can't play that style of defense and compete at the top of the league.

Come now. Take a look at the list of the last 5 or so Super Bowl Champs prior to this year. Carroll broke through because he has a ****-ton of young cheap talent that didn't have to be paid yet.

Not that he doesn't deserve fair credit for that. But let's see more than one dude make it happen once before we start declaring new world orders.

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Can we pry David Shaw loose from Stanford? ;D

Elway has some strings out there.

Atwater His Ass
02-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Carrolls deal isn't really his high risk system. It's his ability to relate and motivate his players. He makes them believe they are invincible and it showed last night.

24champ
02-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Can we pry David Shaw loose from Stanford? ;D

Elway has some strings out there.

I like the thought.

Breaker
02-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I agree with most of this except I would go FS in the first or Whitner and/or Jarious Byrd as a FA. And I would take a MLB in the second because it always seem to be a second round MLB that is a stud.

I also love living in a world with unlimited money and no salary cap ...... o wait that doesn't exist

extralife
02-03-2014, 04:34 PM
the team isn't going to get any better. there is no magic pill out there for us. next year we will have the same team minus a few guys, plus a few players worse than the ones we lost, and our draft picks. that's it. this is who we are, so we either get it done with this group or we don't. preferably with a new coach.

eddie mac
02-03-2014, 04:49 PM
And with all due respect, I'm surprised you're taking this slapdown so lightly. Our biggest injury problem was on defense. It wasn't the D that caved in this one (until the offense had already sunk them beyond hope with TOs). It was "The Greatest Offense in NFL History" that blew this one.

If this team doesn't change some fundamentals, does it stand up any better to the Seahawks, Niners, Carolina or the Cardinals next year? I'm not trying to be combative here, but 43 - 8 is a pretty convincing way of saying that something is fundamentally wrong. Not to mention, Peyton has made it to a lot of playoff games, but he also has the worst record of any QB in playoff history. Like TJ said, teams usually stumble off into the wilderness for a few years after an ass kicking of this magnitude.

I'm not but I am objective and to be truthful I thought we'd lose the game anyway but would never say that on here. We are a finesse team especially on offense and it was/is a terrible match-up with their defense to begin with. The only way we were ever gonna win that game was to get a big lead and try to hold it. The first offensive snap of the game laid out what was to come unfortunately. I just think we played really scared especially on offense. I dunno how we'll come back from that but with Elway there I'm sure that we will and we'll do it with the nucleus of this team.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 04:56 PM
I think the first move we have to make to move forward in the coming years is to get rid of Fox and JDR. They have no place on a championship team and the team was so badly prepared yesterday that Fox should be fired for failing to do his job.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 05:51 PM
the team isn't going to get any better. there is no magic pill out there for us. next year we will have the same team minus a few guys, plus a few players worse than the ones we lost, and our draft picks. that's it. this is who we are, so we either get it done with this group or we don't. preferably with a new coach.

Disagree with Debbie Downer here. Champ, Dreesen and Tamme are sitting on 17 million dollars of cap alone. I would also politely ask Peyton how serious he is about winning a SuperBowl and see if he would do what John did (to bring in Neil Smith et al). We will have some room to get a key player like Byrd if we want it (I WANT IT!).

extralife
02-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Disagree with Debbie Downer here. Champ, Dreesen and Tamme are sitting on 17 million dollars of cap alone. I would also politely ask Peyton how serious he is about winning a SuperBowl and see if he would do what John did (to bring in Neil Smith et al). We will have some room to get a key player like Byrd if we want it (I WANT IT!).

ok, great. you cut Tamme and Dreesen and bring Champ back for two million. good start.

Then you have to give DT ten million a year.

ok, so kuper is gone. not bad.

then you have to pay decker and/or Moreno.

then woodyard walks. then shaun phillips gets 3-5 million or he walks.

then DRC gets 8-10 million a year or he walks

stoxman
02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
I, personally wouldn't bring Champ back. He flopped again last night. I just think he is done. Gimme that $2M back and I will put it elsewhere. :-)

I believe Shaun and DRC have both stated they want to be back in DENVER so maybe whatever we do will be cap friendly.

Get Manning to chip in say $5 million against the cap in savings and we are in business. We will lose good players. We will also lose ****ty players like Tony Carter, Omar Bolden, Quinton ToeJam etc..

broncosteven
02-03-2014, 07:07 PM

I would love to see them get Byrd but wonder if we can afford to pay him what he would command.

broncosteven
02-03-2014, 07:14 PM

I would keep Tamme, Dreesen can go we don't need that kind of pass catching depth at TE, we could use a pure Blocking TE or even a hybrid Blocking FB/H-back like the kid Belly tried to replace Gronk with.

I also agree that if Manning wants to really win a SB he cannot keep hamstringing his teams with his huge cap number. I know that is the going rate on QB's these days but he is making money in other area's hand over fist.

No shame in increasing some guarenteed money and taking less overall if your trying to really win a SB. It is apparent he is not going to win a SB in the next 2 years on his own. Not if he has to face teams like San Fran, SeaThugs in the SB.

Edit- BTW Both Tamme and Dreessen are $3 Mill cap hits but Dreessen is 600k dead money and Tamme is $500k. Keep Tamme, cut Dreessen

TonyR
02-03-2014, 07:15 PM
... But as far as blame game goes, the Defense comes in a distant third.

Agree with everything you said. I expected more from the O, our bread and butter, and we didn't get it. My point was that, personally, I was mostly excusing the defense. The facts presented suggest they don't deserve to be excused. They really couldn't stop Seattle.

broncosteven
02-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Carrolls deal isn't really his high risk system. It's his ability to relate and motivate his players. He makes them believe they are invincible and it showed last night.

The fact that 4 of his young stars were all busted with PED's early in their careers helps.

barryr
02-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Clearly the Broncos are lacking at safety. They have not had a safety that impacts a game in years. A MLB is also a trouble spot, plus with Harris being hurt, CB is a spot to look at too since hard to know where he'll be in terms of health next season. Not to mention Champ looking very old and getting beat by nobody WR's too often anymore. I'll add another DE since bringing back Ayers would be a waste of time. He's never going to be much of a player.

I also think moving Franklin to guard should be an option. Plus, I think Decker will be gone, so another WR will be needed.