PDA

View Full Version : Mike Nolan=Last time Denver had a defense

Hartley
02-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Defense was ranked 7th that year.

Can we bribe him out of Miami? How did we ever let him go? Curse of Josh McDaniel's? You know as bad as that year ended up that 6-0 streak was awesome. Kind of makes you wonder what would have happened if we had kept Cutler.

spiralism
02-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Mike Nolan's defence was all smoke and mirrors, it folded when it mattered really, same as this in all honesty. Pass.

Eldorado
02-02-2014, 09:38 PM
jesus. What!?

Action
02-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Lol what a ****ing idiot.

Our defense last year was absolutely elite throughout the season. We just **** the bed in 1 game.

Hartley
02-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Our D was elite the whole season? Manning was elite in the regular season. I'm just saying that shake ups are on the way and I hope JDR is among them.

Our defense last year was absolutely elite throughout the season. We just **** the bed in 1 game.

spdirty
02-02-2014, 09:54 PM
JDR had that defense rolling in the playoffs and they honestly allowed 7 first half points today. Our defense did NOT lose this game tonight. And that's after losing half of its starters.

Nolan's defense went to **** after the 6-0.

OP is smoking crack.

Que
02-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Ya, the D was pretty adequate until the wheels came off after the Harvin run back. Sure it wasn't a huge asset like Seattle's but this loss was all about failed execution by the O and special teams. 3 and outs. Turnovers. Missed blocking assignments.

Hartley
02-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Still it looks like it does not matter who or what you have on offense. We had the greatest O of all time. 8 points. It's all about the D apparently.

JDR had that defense rolling in the playoffs and they honestly allowed 7 first half points today. Our defense did NOT lose this game tonight. And that's after losing half of its starters.

Nolan's defense went to **** after the 6-0.

OP is smoking crack.

Action
02-02-2014, 09:59 PM
We absolutely contained Lynch.

We forced Wilson to make plays with his arm and he eventually did, but the defense gave the offense time.

We just don't have the scheme nor do we have the personnel or healthy players to run a defense to play aggressively to take away the ball.

Popps
02-02-2014, 10:01 PM
There's been no bigger defense-first poster than me around here for ages... but our defense didn't lose this game for us.

Though, I think the better defense took over the game... as so often happens in the playoffs, which is why the blame-the-QB game we've been playing around here for a decade has been so short-sighted. We have a HOF QB playing at his peak and got our asses handed to us by a championship caliber defense.

It is what it is. It's time to beef up our defense, toughen up our offense and re-examine our finesse to power balance on offense, even if Manning is a finesse QB.

SEA was just bigger, faster and tougher tonight. That's football.

spiralism
02-02-2014, 10:01 PM
This loss wasn't even on the defence in particular. Or the offence. Or the special teams. We got our asses comprehensively kicked in all three phases and the blame falls equally. That's a mental issue

Hartley
02-02-2014, 10:03 PM
I'll concede you that. Still scratching my head about this loss. Too many shoulda, woulda, coulda's out there. Don't know what we did to anger the foodball gods.

We absolutely contained Lynch.

We forced Wilson to make plays with his arm and he eventually did, but the defense gave the offense time.

We just don't have the scheme nor do we have the personnel or healthy players to run a defense to play aggressively to take away the ball.

Wes Mantooth
02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
horrible thread.

Hartley
02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Exactly "mental issue".

How do we address that? Coaching changes? or does personnel affect it more? Going to be a long offseason

This loss wasn't even on the defence in particular. Or the offence. Or the special teams. We got our asses comprehensively kicked in all three phases and the blame falls equally. That's a mental issue

razorwire77
02-02-2014, 10:10 PM
There's been no bigger defense-first poster than me around here for ages... but our defense didn't lose this game for us.

Though, I think the better defense took over the game... as so often happens in the playoffs, which is why the blame-the-QB game we've been playing around here for a decade has been so short-sighted. We have a HOF QB playing at his peak and got our asses handed to us by a championship caliber defense.

It is what it is. It's time to beef up our defense, toughen up our offense and re-examine our finesse to power balance on offense, even if Manning is a finesse QB.

SEA was just bigger, faster and tougher tonight. That's football.

/thread. At the end of the day, football can still be distilled down to physicality. Seattle's defense punished our receivers from the get go. Bigger, faster, tougher. Not rocket science.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 10:17 PM
The loss was a one hundred percent bed**** on all units

nyuk nyuk
02-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Nolan was fired from here, wasn't he? No way he'd return anyhow.

UberBroncoMan
02-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Nolan was fired from here, wasn't he? No way he'd return anyhow.

He left because of McDaniels. He's also in Atlanta (not Miami) and just signed an extension there.

Hartley
02-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Our defense was 2nd last year, forgot about that. Beat by ravens 17th place D. Who then beat 3rd place D 49ers in the Superbowl. Looks like in reality stats are meaningless predictors, it's all about execution.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 12:39 AM

In one playoff game. Anyone noticing a pattern here?

troya900
02-03-2014, 12:57 AM
The problem with the defense today was that they couldn't contain Wilson in the pocket. The running game was pretty much shut down, but their contain of Wilson was absolutely horrid. On most plays Wilson made it look so easy to roll out or slide to the side and have a wide open passing lane and he just waited for the receiver to get open/scramble. I would have rather had the Dline just contain and force Wilson to throw from the pocket rather than letting him easily move all over the place. Yeah I know easier said than done.

DENVERDUI55
02-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Defense was ranked 7th that year.

Can we bribe him out of Miami? How did we ever let him go? Curse of Josh McDaniel's? You know as bad as that year ended up that 6-0 streak was awesome. Kind of makes you wonder what would have happened if we had kept Cutler.

How many teams survive in the playoffs losing 5 starters and their best player on D? Only the Packers a few years ago. The team did a good bandaid job but couldn't overcome the injuries. This bandaid could do alright when the Offense was carrying them but couldn't weather the storm when the OL collapsed.

dsmoot
02-03-2014, 03:18 AM

There is a mental factor to it but what your own words stated is closer to the real answer. Bigger, faster, tougher and overall better talent in those phases of the game. With all the rules changes favoring the offense, a great defense still wins championships. The way the game was officiated, not complaining, played toward the team with the better defense.

BroncoBuff
02-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Most definitely, we finished #2 in the league:

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/1496/kyzy.jpg

I'm not a big Time of Possession guy, but this a nutshell how we lost: When Marshawn Lynch scored at 3:00 into the 2nd quarter, TOP at that point: Seattle 14:45 - Den 3:14.