PDA

View Full Version : Where does this loss rank in terms of pain?

Blart
02-02-2014, 09:32 PM
For me, I don't think it cracks my top 5. We made it to the big game. We got to watch our team *every week*. We were never eliminated, and even better, we're not the chiefs, raiders or bengals.

It wasn't close. It wasn't a heartbreaker. We're not all complaining about a specific play or call that would have won it.

Jaguars '96. Ravens '13. Bills '92. Those were painful losses, this wasn't.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
This sounds like my vision of Fox's halftime speech.

Blart
hahaha

HELLHAMMER
It's up there with the loss to the Redskins in the Super Bowl.

ATL-Eric
02-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Interesting post. I would agree that the Pats win almost felt like our Super Bowl. For some reason I never got as up for this game as I thought I would. The Ravens game will live in infamy for me.

BowlenBall
02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
The 49ers game (55-10) was the worst for me -- that was the one where I could feel Elway start to give up hope, which was disturbing.

go_broncos
02-02-2014, 09:39 PM
last year playoff loss was worse compared to this one..I am glad this was a blowout and not like the loss we had last year.

Blart
02-02-2014, 09:39 PM
The 49ers game (55-10) was the worst for me -- that was the one where I could feel Elway start to give up hope, which was disturbing.

Yeah, at that point it was becoming obvious that the NFC had all the money, and our conference would never stand a chance.

yerner
02-02-2014, 09:41 PM
this one to me is the worst. just the absolute lack of effort. i'm ashamed of that team tonight.

rolandftw
02-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Jaguars, Ravens, Steelers losses hurt more. I'd put it at #4.

chrisp
02-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Sorry but this one hurts bad for me - I thought the days of the old school beatdowns were long gone, how wrong I was! Yes, I'd rather go through this than lose to the pats in the previous game, but compared to the previous losses, at least we went in as major underdogs in those games. This is a game where we should have been at least competitive. Games like this used to be the order of the day 15 years ago, but there hasn't been a Super Bowl this lopsided since the raiders lost to the bucs!!! We're better than this and it hurts. Interesting to see how we recover from this one, I have no answers right now.

I HATE QUEEF FANS!
02-02-2014, 09:45 PM
It doesn't hurt much at all. Best season in 15 years. I was just happy to get back to the Super Bowl.

Bronco X
02-02-2014, 09:49 PM
It's hard for me to compare, I was a kid during the 80's losses and took them way too hard. I learned not to let it get to me so much through the years, so there's no comparison as far as personal pain. I can compare it to last year, and I can't say this was better. That was more of a heart breaker but at least they represented themselves and the city better. Plus it quit leading us all on three weeks earlier.

OBF1
This was by far the easiest of the now 5 SB games we lost. This is the 1st game where I did not get caught up in the BS hype. I hoped for a win, but never really bought into this team after the first half of the season. I saw that this team is not tough at all and the defense was not one that could make a difference like Seattle's did.

randerson1184
Not quite as bad as the losses to Jax in '96 or Bal in '13. The season wasn't a total wash.

Que
It barely cracks the top 5 for me.

Gutless Drunk
02-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Sorry but this one hurts bad for me - I thought the days of the old school beatdowns were long gone, how wrong I was! Yes, I'd rather go through this than lose to the pats in the previous game, but compared to the previous losses, at least we went in as major underdogs in those games. This is a game where we should have been at least competitive. Games like this used to be the order of the day 15 years ago, but there hasn't been a Super Bowl this lopsided since the raiders lost to the bucs!!! We're better than this and it hurts. Interesting to see how we recover from this one, I have no answers right now.

Yep, all this. We were expected to do better in this one - combined with the fact that, after 15 years, reliving the glory day memories doesn't cut it for me anymore. Those memories are worn out, I thought it was time for some new memories. It's top 2 for me with the San Fran Super bowl - both EPIC embarrassments.

chrisp
02-02-2014, 09:52 PM
last year playoff loss was worse compared to this one..I am glad this was a blowout and not like the loss we had last year.

I disagree - at least with a close loss you know you'll have a chance next time - this leaves us asking questions all over the field, and amongst the coaching staff too.

The only positive I can see is that even after the game I can't explain the magnitude of the loss - it's not like we were underdogs. That gives me some hope that if we can somehow get back here next year then maybe it was just a bad day at the office and it will be different next time. So maybe that means it's just number 3 - not as bad as the redskins or the 49ers losses as afterwards we still have hope, but this will be hard to come back from. We need to take this on board, think about it carefully and make some changes. Maybe big changes, maybe small ones, but something was missin today and I don't know what

razorwire77
02-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I think this the worst loss in franchise history. Even the Giants and Redskins Superbowls were competitive for a half and quarter respectively.

55-10 loss was a knife to a gun-fight situation. That Niners team was one of the top 5 NFL teams of all time (Rice, Taylor, Craig, Montana, Lott, Rathman etc.)

This game was suppose to be an epic battle pitting the media-proclaimed greatest offense of all time against a physical Seattle defense. We literally were never in the game from the first play. From the first to last minute it was a complete ass-raping and that's with the modern NFL rules favoring the offense.

Just complete top to bottom failure. From special teams, to coaching, to Peyton, to o-line play, just completely awful.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
02-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Pass the cyanide. :-(

Broncomutt
02-02-2014, 09:58 PM
All three 80s Super Bowls were worse for me.

I'm mad but I just don't feel the sadness I did back then. Age brings a certain maturity I guess. And I'm sober.

But I do hope every member of that team feels a great deal of humiliation.

Armchair Bronco
02-02-2014, 09:59 PM
For me, I don't think it cracks my top 5. We made it to the big game. We got to watch our team *every week*. We were never eliminated, and even better, we're not the chiefs, raiders or bengals.

It wasn't close. It wasn't a heartbreaker. We're not all complaining about a specific play or call that would have won it.

Jaguars '96. Ravens '13. Bills '92. Those were painful losses, this wasn't.

I agree. The 55-10 mauling by SF was 17 orders of magnitude worse. Then the loss to the Redskins after being up 10-zip to start the game - that hurt bad, too.

Next up for me was the loss to the Jags and then the loss to Ravens last year.

spdirty
02-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Right now this is the worst. With time and perspective I might be able to rank it better.

Powderaddict
02-02-2014, 10:00 PM
This one and the 55-10 loss are the worst for me. This one is so fresh. It's going to suck for awhile.

ATL-Eric

True. We were ****ing favored to win!

spdirty
I agree. The 55-10 mauling by SF was 17 orders of magnitude worse. Then the loss to the Redskins after being up 10-zip to start the game - that hurt bad, too.

Next up for me was the loss to the Jags and then the loss to Ravens last year.

**** you. This was probably your favorite loss. Asshole .

Agamemnon
02-02-2014, 10:03 PM
I think this the worst loss in franchise history. Even the Giants and Redskins Superbowls were competitive for a half and quarter respectively.

55-10 loss was a knife to a gun-fight situation. That Niners team was one of the top 5 NFL teams of all time (Rice, Taylor, Craig, Montana, Lott, Rathman etc.)

This game was suppose to be an epic battle pitting the media-proclaimed greatest offense of all time against a physical Seattle defense. We literally were never in the game from the first play. From the first to last minute it was a complete ass-raping and that's with the modern NFL rules favoring the offense.

Just complete top to bottom failure. From special teams, to coaching, to Peyton, to o-line play, just completely awful.

Without question it's the worst. We just got blown out by a team that is not really better than us (or even if they are, not by much). The 55-10 loss to the 49ers was to one of the greatest teams in league history. It probably should've been more competitive, but we had virtually no chance of winning that game short of them imploding.

People, we had the highest scoring offense ever and only managed 8 points! Anyone who doesn't see how catastrophic this loss is has to be on some serious drugs or have brain damage.

bombay
02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
The worst. I knew that Elway had dragged the rest of the team along in the '80's, but I thought we were legitimately better than Seattle.

Taco John
02-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Ranks pretty high for me... Top three easily.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
They all blow, I'm not sure which ranks worse, but I can't remember the last time we were manhandled this bad? That raider game during the mcd years? And this was the Super Bowl. Man. This one hurts

SVine
02-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Jaguars '96 and there is no close 2nd. At this point in Elway's career, he was aging, and his window for winning a Super Bowl was shrinking. Denver and Mike Shannon had constructed a great team, and Denver was the #1 seed looking for a serious Super Bowl run. It had been 7 years since Denver been to a Super Bowl, in my young life, that seemed like an eternity. Denver's didn't play real well against Jacksonville, but they kept fighting. Denver was trailing by 2 scores much of the 2nd half. Denver scored a touchown to cut a 23-12 lead to 23-20. Denver had trouble getting 3rd down stops the entire game, and finally, they got a 3rd down stop and Denver was down only 3 with momentum on their side. Them Micheal F***ing Dean F***ing Perry. Was lugging his FAT ASS off the field too slowly and Denver was flagged for 12 men on the field while on a 4th and short Jacksonville punt, while Perry still was still two steps away from the bench. That motherf***ing lazy fat ass.

Winning the Super Bowl the very next season lessened the disappointment a little, but after some years of reflection I think that if Denver could have escaped Jacksonville, that might have been Denver's first Super Bowl of a 3peat.

On another note, I commonly see people say if given a choice between a blowout Super Bowl loss, and not making a Super Bowl at all, many people would choose not making the Super Bowl. I find such thought to be ridiculous. If you don't make a Super Bowl, how the hell could you ever know that you would get blown out if you did? Also, by making the Super Bowl, you are playing in a game that 30 other NFL teams wished they were playing in. Having said that, people's jobs need to be evaluated after such a performance.

ATL-Eric
02-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Without question it's the worst. We just got blown out by a team that is not really better than us (or even if they are, not by much). The 55-10 loss to the 49ers was to one of the greatest teams in league history. It probably should've been more competitive, but we had virtually no chance of winning that game short of them imploding.

People, we had the highest scoring offense ever and only managed 8 points! Anyone who doesn't see how catastrophic this loss is has to be on some serious drugs or have brain damage.

This loss is going to look a lot worse if Wilson doesn't go on to become a hall of famer. If he turns into a kosar , esiason type then we'll feel worse and worse as time goes by

uplink
02-02-2014, 10:11 PM
The only superbowl favorites to get blown out are the broncos I think? This year and the year they played the skins. I can't think of another case. I am so suprise the seahags had the momentum for the entire freakin game the broncos sucked for a full 60 minutes. Unbelievable, I think even in the other SB loses the broncos had the momentum during a least parts of the game.

KipCorrington25
02-02-2014, 10:14 PM
We sucked so bad, from the first play on, had no chance and deserved nothing so it's more funny to me.

Also I'm in shock a team this crappy got this far, I think it was all smoke and mirrors and it finally became time to pay the piper.

Much easier to take than a close loss.

ATL-Eric
02-02-2014, 10:14 PM
The only superbowl favorites to get blown out are the broncos I think? This year and the year they played the skins. I can't think of another case. I am so suprise the seahags had the momentum for the entire freakin game the broncos sucked for a full 60 minutes. Unbelievable, I think even in the other SB loses the broncos had the momentum during a least parts of the game.

12th man. It's a god damn conspiracy.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-02-2014, 10:15 PM
96 Jacksonville was the worst. This is a close second. This hurts because it's plainly obvious that Manning and Champ are never going to see a Broncos championship.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-02-2014, 10:17 PM
12th man. It's a god damn conspiracy.

Just looking at the crowd shots, it was about 10:1 Seahawks fans. Obviously there was a noise advantage in their favor.

Blart
02-02-2014, 10:18 PM
This hurts because it's plainly obvious that Manning and Champ are never going to see a Broncos championship.

Ouch. Didn't even think about this clearly.

Taco John
02-02-2014, 10:26 PM
For me:

1. Redskins loss
2. Giants loss
3. This one.
4. San Francisco
5. Jaguars
6. Ravens

Blart
02-02-2014, 10:26 PM
One thing: I looked at stats of the game. I glanced at an article on SI.

Last year, I couldn't stand to listen about sports. I didn't ready any NFL news until this season started.

bronco militia
02-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Top 4 at least. But at least I saw this team win a superbowl in my liftime. I will rest peacefully when I die.

broncolife
02-02-2014, 10:33 PM
This one up there. The other super bowl losses I was to young for trash talk. Now Im going to have to try and defend that embarrassing performance to Charger fans . Shouldn't be to hard with their past. Just sad seeing our team destroyed in front of the world, at least show some fight.

Popps
02-02-2014, 10:48 PM
For me:

1. Redskins loss
2. Giants loss
3. This one.
4. San Francisco
5. Jaguars
6. Ravens

I'd need more time to know for sure, but this is pretty similar for me... though the Jags would absolutely be higher.

Taco John
02-02-2014, 10:52 PM
I'd need more time to know for sure, but this is pretty similar for me... though the Jags would absolutely be higher.

That loss was painful but greatly muted by my homerism and absolute belief that we would bounce back stronger than ever.

This one is different for me because frankly, we aren't going back next year. I don't remember a team ever being blown out like this and bouncing back. Does anyone else? It would be unprecedented to my memory. When a team loses like this on the big stage, they go for a long walk through the wilderness. I pray to God I'm wrong, but this loss is a huge missed opportunity.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 10:54 PM
That loss was painful but greatly muted by my homerism and absolute belief that we would bounce back stronger than ever.

This one is different for me because frankly, we aren't going back next year. I don't remember a team ever being blown out like this and bouncing back. Does anyone else? It would be unprecedented to my memory. When a team loses like this on the big stage, they go for a long walk through the wilderness. I pray to God I'm wrong, but this loss is a huge missed opportunity.

I cant disagree. Granted asking a few hours after it happened is hard to answer, but i feel like this one broke me. Plus, getting back to the super bowls are hard.

now, im not suggesting we'll ever get back there, but remember sharpe said the jags loss would "set the broncos back 50 years" or something and then we won two super bowls. So, as far as hopelessness is concerned, they were probably all the same, this one is just freshest.

rolandftw
02-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Buffalo, after losing 52-17, reached the SB the next year. Still lost, but they definitely came back.

broncosteven
02-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Yep, 5th or 6th if that. Makes the top 10 for sure but I have been more pissed about losing to kFc or not making the playoffs than this one.

The last year of mCd was more painful than this.

**** happens

TheChamp24
02-02-2014, 10:59 PM
This absolutely ranks up there due to how horrible we looked. I mean, yes credit goes to Seattle for playing top notch, but the Broncos just played about as bad of a game as they could have. We had 2 turnovers in their territory, a bad snap, missing throws by Manning, poor special teams. You name it, we played bad.
The plays were there to be made, we just fell short every time. The botched snap, easy 2 points out of the gate to Seattle, plus they get the ball.
The interception, Peyton had Julius and just overthrows him badly. Going for it on 4th and 2 with a rather poor playcall.
Missed tackles all over the place on defense and special teams. Demaryius' fumble just...I just had to laugh at that one.

And now, looking forward, you wonder how much this will sting. We have an incredibly difficult schedule next year plus having to make key decisions with players, the journey will be most difficult.

razorwire77
02-02-2014, 10:59 PM

I agree. This wasn't a hard fought 24-21 SB loss. This was a top to bottom dismantling of the Bronco team by a bigger, stronger, faster, better-coached team. I can't ever recall an NFL playoff/SB game where the score was 8-0 and yet you could just feel the impending destruction coming. We're not a 1st round Mike draft pick and a couple of safeties away from beating that team. **** no. This is the type of loss that I don't think a team comes back from mentally. Hope we're both wrong, but I doubt we see this team making a run in the playoffs next year.

R8R H8R
02-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm drunk, so I'll just say this is the worst lost ever.

Tombstone RJ
02-02-2014, 11:34 PM
This is definitely a painful loss. It harkens back to the days of Elway and getting kicked around in SBs. This one sucks because the Broncos were never in it. And, it started with the very first play. I'm not talking about the friggen boneheaded safety. I'm talking about that dingle berry Holiday trying to bring the ball out when he was at the back of the endzone. He should have taken a knee.

bad special teams play
bad offense
turnovers
a defense that could not get off the field on third down

I mean, total failure across the board.

Mile High Mojoe
02-02-2014, 11:52 PM
It's last on the Super Bowl list. After we won 2 the pain was way less severe. Nothing equals the pain of the Super Bowl loss to the Redskins IMO. We were a better team, should of handled them easily. I was angry for weeks after that one.

Tombstone RJ
02-02-2014, 11:55 PM
this sucks. The Broncos lose another SB in a huge blowout. this is NOT the type of legacy I want the Broncos to have. 2-5 is SBs, really?

I'd rather the Broncos NOT get to the SB than to keep losing them.

XXXII&III
02-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Compared to the death of my little brother? This barely registers. It's disappointing is all. Broncos will win another Superbowl before 18 hangs up his cleats.

Finger Roll
02-03-2014, 12:10 AM
It hurt a lot more in the 80s when I was a kid. Besides I'm a die hard Braves and Bronco fan. I'm pretty used to losing Super Bowls and World Series, lol.

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 12:17 AM
The worst part about this loss is that we're a way better team then how we played. The other losses we probably deserved to lose save ravens. This game is so disappointing bc we were capable of beating this team

Armchair Bronco
02-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Without question it's the worst. We just got blown out by a team that is not really better than us (or even if they are, not by much).

Eugene Robinson, SB 32: "We're playing the Indianapolis Colts! We're playing the Indianapolis Colts right now! This team isn't better than us! They're not even good!"

http://milehighsports.com/2014/01/21/broncos-cant-take-shermans-bait/

Armchair Bronco
02-03-2014, 12:41 AM
I think a lot of folks have lost perspective. Denver made it to the Super Bowl. For 2 weeks, everyone got to imagine how cool it would be to hoist another Lombardi and to re-live the glory days when Elway was still the QB.

Look: Super Bowls are all about momentum. Either you keep it or you lose it. Denver lost it on the first play. And from then on Manning looked completely lost. But this doesn't mean the team has to be blown up, either. You clowns are sound like a lot of Patriots fans after New England's last SB loss.

Denver is fine on offense. But it does need help on defense, starting w/ the secondary.

I also SERIOUSLY question whether Fox and Del Rio are the best coaches for the Broncos. Their records prior to Manning were just average.

ATL-Eric
02-03-2014, 12:41 AM
I change my mind. This one is the worst. Were the ****ing laughing stock right now. All the **** they accomplished since August means ****. This one is the worse and I'm telling you it's going to sink in tomorrow. I avoided all tv after the game but just hit u reddit and it's brutal. **** me. We scored 8

DenverDynamite
02-03-2014, 12:45 AM
This is really hard. I haven't felt this bad since I was a kid in the 80's. I need time away from football. I invest too much into it. I make the Broncos too much apart of my own identity. That's really stupid for something I have zero control over.
Everyone have a nice winter/spring/summer. I'm taking my kids to Disneyland in a few weeks and my wife to Cabos in May. Should be a great couple of months ahead.

rolandftw
02-03-2014, 12:47 AM
this sucks. The Broncos lose another SB in a huge blowout. this is NOT the type of legacy I want the Broncos to have. 2-5 is SBs, really?

It's not what you want to see, but I still think it's better off playing in them and losing bad, then not even making it that far. As bad as the game was, there wasn't a single team in the AFC that would take their ending over ours.

Finger Roll
02-03-2014, 12:51 AM
It's not what you want to see, but I still think it's better off playing in them and losing bad, then not even making it that far. As bad as the game was, there wasn't a single team in the AFC that would take their ending over ours.

I agree. At least they were the AFC champs

Blart
02-03-2014, 12:52 AM
I avoided all tv after the game but just hit u reddit and it's brutal. **** me. We scored 8

I disagree. For anyone who talks trash about the Broncos today, ask them where their favorite team ended up this season. Only one city has any right to talk smack.

nyuk nyuk
02-03-2014, 12:59 AM

That's been the fan motto since the 80s. If you gotta lose, lose NOW before we get to the Super Bowl.

nyuk nyuk
02-03-2014, 01:00 AM
I disagree. For anyone who talks trash about the Broncos today, ask them where their favorite team ended up this season. Only one city has any right to talk smack.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS....... ^5

Post of the effing evening.

Ol#7
02-03-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm more shocked than anything. That game should not have happened.

maven
02-03-2014, 02:12 AM
This game for me is all the way at the top. This game was bad. Awful bad. Losing to Baltimore. Losing to Jax. So what, they were playoffs. But, to see and play like that in the SB again. Fuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 03:25 AM

Bingo. People who think this team is just going to reload and come back next year are living in fantasy land. This was a complete collapse. As far as Manning with the Broncos goes, THIS was his shot at grabbing the ring. It failed. Miserably. Some of the same people blaming Fox and Gase now were saying that Manning was the real offensive coach all year anyway, and Fox and Gase were just along for the ride. Which of these is true? If Manning was the REAL coach than what does that say? Could Manning call off any of those plays today and change them at will at the line? Sure. So why didn't he? Did you see some of those passes? That gameplan played right into the strengths of the Seahawks. Why didn't it get changed at the half? Or after the first quarter?

So what do we do now? Build a team around Manning? You've got a year. Maybe two. Who knows? Maybe he hangs it up next week. When it came to those former losses, I always felt that Elway had it in him. He would keep coming back, and if the pieces came together, he would win it. The teams under him were weak, but he had what it took. Hell, he carried those teams to SBs on his back but they couldn't hold up.

Peyton's performance today leads me to the opposite conclusion. Even if all the pieces are together, does he have what it takes? Plenty of Indy fans didn't think so. Irsay didn't think so. Frankly, Manning played like **** today. The D, even taking the worst hits on the injury list (Von, Vickerson, Harris) and an offensive collapse, still kept us in the game for the first half, waiting for the offense to respond. When they didn't, or couldn't, or worse, gave up scores, the D couldn't hold the line anymore. This was supposed to be the best offense in NFL history. So why the collapse? That's Elway's question to answer.

This is up there with the worst defeats because this team is now clouded in doubt. Like TJ says, teams don't bounce back from this kind of collapse.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 03:30 AM
Bingo. People who think this team is just going to reload and come back next year are living in fantasy land. This was a complete collapse. As far as Manning with the Broncos goes, THIS was his shot at grabbing the ring. It failed. Miserably. Some of the same people blaming Fox and Gase now were saying that Manning was the real, offensive coach all year anyway, and Fox and Gase were just along for the ride. Which of these is true? If Manning was the REAL coach than what does that say? Could Manning call off any of those plays today and change them at will at the line? Sure. So why didn't he? Did you see some of those passes? That gameplan played right into the strengths of the Seahawks. Why didn't it get changed at the half? Or after the first quarter?

So what do we do now? Build a team around Manning? When it came to those former losses, I always felt that Elway had it in him. He would keep coming back, and if the pieces came together, he would win it. The teams under him were weak, but he had what it took. Hell, he carried those teams to SBs on his back but they couldn't hold up.

Peyton's performance today leads me to the opposite conclusion. Even if all the pieces are together, does he have what it takes? Plenty of Indy fans didn't think so. Irsay didn't think so. Frankly, Manning played like **** today. The D, even taking the worst hits on the injury list (Von, Vickerson, Harris) and an offensive collapse, still kept us in the game for the first quarter, waiting for the offense to respond. When they didn't, or couldn't, the D couldn't hold the line anymore. This was supposed to be the best offense in NFL history. So why the collapse? That's Elway's question to answer.

This is up there with the worst defeats because this team is now clouded in doubt. Like TJ says, teams don't bounce back from this kind of collapse.

You pretty much summed up why I wish the guy would just retire. We aren't coming back from this. It's time to just move on from Manning and Fox.

Ol#7
02-03-2014, 04:22 AM
1985 we were 13-3 and flamed out in the first round, 1986 we gave upasafety and got trounced in the SB...No reason we can't man it back again, were following the 80's script.

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 04:26 AM
1985 we were 13-3 and flamed out in the first round, 1986 we gave upasafety and got trounced in the SB...No reason we can't man it back again, were following the 80's script.

Back then, we had a young Elway just getting started on his career. Now we have a QB who is year to year at best.

Brohemoth
02-03-2014, 04:26 AM
I'm immune to emotion after The Red Wedding in Game of Thrones.

Arkie
02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
1. Jacksonville in '96. I thought Elway lost his best chance to get a ring.
2. Seattle. This was Champ's best shot at a ring.

edog24
02-03-2014, 10:14 AM
For me this was the worst. I lived through and watched all of our previous beatdowns also. Back then though, the super teams existed, the parity in the league didn't exist- we were going against goliath and we got what we expected for the most part.

With the parity in the league and the salary cap in the modern era, what happened last night was inexcusable. There is not that big of a discrepancy in the talent levels of these two teams, every single member of the team failed last night.

Old Dude
02-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't know. For me it's a matter of context. As you get older, you inevitably experience more pain and tragedy in your life in general (but also some great moments if you're lucky), so the ups and downs in spectator sports don't have the same impact.

Also, it depends on expectations. As a general rule, I think the people who were most optimistic about yesterday's game are naturally going to suffer more pain than those who were more skeptical or guarded about it.

Yeah, the Broncos were favored, but not by that much, and there were plenty of reasons to be concerned. Seattle was a great defensive team. They got Percy Harvin back at exactly the right time. They came into the game without any significant injuries at key spots. Their fans showed up in great force and owned the stadium.

Denver's defense was severely depleted with injuries. They played well down the stretch, thanks to Pot Roast, Trevathan and a couple others, but it was probably just a matter of time before it caught up with them.

I honestly thought that if the Broncos could get a significant lead, we could take this, because the Hawks aren't built to come from behind, but that was not to be. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong from the opening coin flip on.

So yeah, I'm bitterly disappointed, but I can't say I was "stunned," "shocked," or "baffled." Once the game was underway I could kind of see this freight train coming, and the only question was how bad it would get.

Plus, I get got lectured by my family about being a mean and bitter jerk after the Colts game, so I was consciously trying to maintain more distance and calm this time.

My stepson was originally going to join us for the game, but instead spent it at a hospital, at his biological dad's side, who is undergoing tests for leukemia. I guess that kind of kept things in perspective for me.

I'm not quite as down as most of us about Denver's prospects next year, but I'll debate that at some other time.

In the meantime, all I'd ask is that we try to be civil to one another and understand that some people are hurting a lot more than others.