PDA

View Full Version : Should Manning hang it up?

SVine
02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Seriously. I realize he had the best statistical season in NFL history, but most of the passing offense is based on timing plays and leading receivers. But you need a quick pass over the middle with zip, and Manning lacks any arm strength to get the ball to an open receiver before any defenders close in...

Action
02-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Man shut the **** up. We just made the super bowl... does that idea in itself just clearly fly over your head?

We played the best and most physical team in the NFL. Our oline got stomped.

rolandftw
02-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Nope.

Man-Goblin
02-02-2014, 08:25 PM
This is ****ing ridiculous. Someone provide a reason why Peyton Manning was the sole reason why they lost this game. Someone.

B-Large
Maybe. Is his cap number worth it?

I just don't know.

McDman
About as dumb as saying Fox should be fired.

rmsanger
02-02-2014, 08:26 PM
lame duck tossing interception machine when it's the playoffs. Forum member defend him and champ to the bitter death.

I'm ambivalent but do not believe we have another SB shot with him.

Action
02-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Maybe. Is his cap number worth it?

I just don't know.

So it's better to pay someone $2 million dollars and they don't produce nothing for you.

Genius omaners.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Dumb thread

lod01
Most post season losses all-time. He'll be back to make sure he puts that one outta reach. Dude can get to the post season but he's a bum when he arrives.

HELLHAMMER
I honestly believe he should retire. Not because he had a bad game but because the Broncos need to start looking at the future and he makes too much money. Manning isn't going to win another SB without an elite D to carry him. That is crystal clear. Even Elway had to take a backseat to Davis in order to win a SB.

I HATE QUEEF FANS!
About as dumb as saying Fox should be fired.

I would say dumber even though both are asinine.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 08:28 PM
lame duck tossing interception machine when it's the playoffs. Forum member defend him and champ to the bitter death.

I'm ambivalent but do not believe we have another SB shot with him.

Cept for the last two playoff games.

He was bad today, but I'll roll with him anyday

What woukd you rather be...a contender or 6-10

enjolras
I honestly believe he should retire. Not because he had a bad game but because the Broncos need to start looking at the future. Manning isn't going to win another SB without an elite D to carry him. That is crystal clear. Even Elway had to take a backseat to Davis in order to win a SB.

The truth. The simple truth of the NFL is that great defense wins championships.

Denver is VERY VERY VERY far away from wining a god damn thing.

SonOfLe-loLang
I honestly believe he should retire. Not because he had a bad game but because the Broncos need to start looking at the future. Manning isn't going to win another SB without an elite D to carry him. That is crystal clear. Even Elway had to take a backseat to Davis in order to win a SB.

The future??? Wtf? Like after elway? That future was awesome

SVine
02-02-2014, 08:29 PM
This is ****ing ridiculous. Someone provide a reason why Peyton Manning was the sole reason why they lost this game. Someone.

Huh? There are many reasons for the loss. I am seriously questioning if Manning has any gas left in the tank. Does anyone really think that Denver can go through an entire postseason playing New England quality defenses?

enjolras
Cept for the last two playoff games.

He was bad today, but I'll roll with him anyday

What woukd you rather be...a contender or 6-10

I'd rather be a winner. We have no real playmakers on defense. Our only true superstar is a whiny, pouty, selfish pothead.

Action

LMFAO Manning gives us a chance in the SB every year. No matter how bad today was, that idea it itself means he shouldn't retire.

you're trying to tell me Broncos need to look forward to starting a QB that they can even hope to make the playoffs?

Some you fans are dumb as ****.

Houshyamama
Hell. ****ing. No.

****. Off.

SonOfLe-loLang
The truth. The simple truth of the NFL is that great defense wins championships.

Well we did have five starters on IR. it's not like we designed it this way.

It was just an awful crappy game

WolfpackGuy
He won't go retire right after a loss like this.

No way in hell.

maven
He ****ing sucked. When they showed the end zone plays the guy was **** in the pocket.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I'd rather be a winner. We have no real playmakers on defense. Our only true superstar is a whiny, pouty, selfish pothead.

We do. They were just on IR

Dr. Broncenstein
I honestly don't care. We aren't winning the Super Bowl with him. We aren't getting to the Super Bowl without him. This team is terminally flawed.

Action

When was Von Miller whiny and pouty?

:rofl:

DRC is pretty much a super star corner.

There are 31 losers every NFL season. Deal with it.

Archer81
Normally I'd shred the hell out of the OP. Today, man. I just dont have the energy. Superbowl losses are draining. And Manning was not the reason we lost today.

:Broncos:

KipCorrington25
We'll win a **** load of games next year... in the regular season, not in the playoffs.

enjolras
02-02-2014, 08:31 PM
The sad reality is that we're going to another superbowl next year. That's freaking fantastic.

We're going to get destroyed..again. Either by Seattle or San Francisco. Possibly Carolina.

The AFC is weak. We'll get through it. We'll be embarassed again. The most futile franchise in Superbowl history. We'll take our 5 ass kickings and turn it into 6.

Yay.

Action
We'll win a **** load of games next year... in the regular season, not in the playoffs.

considering there is a maximum of 4 playoff games per team, it's mathematically impossible to win a **** load of play off games.

enjolras
Well we did have five starters on IR. it's not like we designed it this way.

It was just an awful crappy game

Fully healthy we are a ok defense. Not a great one. Our linebackers are slow. Our corners are bad. Our safeties are laughable.

This team is simply nowhere close.

enjolras
02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
My god.. we made Russell Wilson look like a great quarterback.

B-Large
So it's better to pay someone $2 million dollars and they don't produce nothing for you.

Genius omaners.

We've had the best QB ever two years in a row, the best offense ever on a football field... It ain't working to win the Ring.

If the were competitive tonight then ok. but that was hide your face till training camp stuff tonight. Not beat, embrasssed. Embarrassed.

Shananahan

Let's start a running list of people who should probably be banned for a month.

1. enjolras

stoxman
02-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Disagree! Our NUCLEUS starts with Von, Pot Roast, Vick and hopefully Sly takes another step forward. Trevathan is a beast. Harris and DRC is all we need to rebuild around in the secondary. Keep Kayvon--cut everyone else except maybe Rahim (cough...that hurts to say).

We can build that defense but we need LOTS of new players.

ColoradoDarin
He sucked today (as did all the O and ST and the Def once they found out they were the only ones out there), but I have no idea. We need MLB, we need SS and FS, we need pass rushers that show up.

maven
Normally I'd shred the hell out of the OP. Today, man. I just dont have the energy. Superbowl losses are draining. And Manning was not the reason we lost today.

He was AWFUL. And it hurts saying that.

Action
Fully healthy we are a ok defense. Not a great one. Our linebackers are slow. Our corners are bad. Our safeties are laughable.

Our corners are bad?

Teams couldn't pass on us with a healthy DRC, Chris Harris, Bailey, and Rahim Moore...

Brady couldn't do **** until Harris went out.

razorwire77
02-02-2014, 08:34 PM

We need a Mike and we need a more phyiscal FS/SS. Rahim Moore isn't the answer either imo.

I think our d-line is solid with Pot Roast, Williams, and Vick coming back. Probably could use a young edge pass rusher opposite Von.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 08:34 PM

We played bad. I wouldn't call our linebackers slow. And the Jets are "nowhere close". We were in the Super Bowl. It sucks, I get it

I HATE QUEEF FANS!
02-02-2014, 08:35 PM

1. enjolras

:rofl: I second this.

SonOfLe-loLang

He was, but I'll roll with him anyday.

Gutless Drunk
No, but he should renegotiate. If you're not going to dominate the big game you can't be taking up 17% of the cap.

yerner
02-02-2014, 08:36 PM
The cap number is an interesting discussion. One of the huge benefits of having Wilson was the Seahawks didnt have to commit to a huge salary to him. That will change. How many of these big money qb's win? I know Flacco wasn't paid last year. Or Kaepernick.

Arkie
02-02-2014, 08:36 PM
not if he can still play

broncogary
02-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Our corners are bad?

Teams couldn't pass on us with a healthy DRC, Chris Harris, Bailey, and Rahim Moore...

Brady couldn't do **** until Harris went out.

Harris went out in the Charger game.

B-Large
02-02-2014, 08:37 PM

Awful. 8 points from the best Offense ever, I don care how good the Is.

8 ****ing points. 8. 8.

enjolras
02-02-2014, 08:38 PM

1. enjolras

Go **** yourself.

It's the truth. Do you really want to dispute the football truth? Great defense always trumps great offense. To think that our defense is in the same freaking league as a Seattle or San Francisco is a joke. A freaking joke.

I said it two weeks ago. Those teams play at entirely different speed than we do. The AFC is slow and weak. The top of the NFC is fast, physical, and absolute miles beyond us.

43-8.

I'm right. You're not.

B-Large
02-02-2014, 08:39 PM
No, but he should renegotiate. If you're not going to dominate the big game you can't be taking up 17% of the cap.

Big time. We need help at other positions, apparently Defense does win championships.

orinjkrush
Manning was awful because the O line was awful.
When Manning is awful the receivers are awful.
When the O is awful the team is awful.
Congrats to Seattle for figuring that out.

razorwire77
1.) Yes, Manning was terrible tonight
2.) We better pray he comes back next year, because this is a 7-9 team without him (at best).

barryr
02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Of course he isn't and shouldn't retire. But hard to see him repeating the kind of season he had, so it will take more talent around him for a win in the Super Bowl. Problem is their best pass rusher, Von Miller, is an idiot, so counting on him is not the greatest idea.

HELLHAMMER
LMFAO Manning gives us a chance in the SB every year. No matter how bad today was, that idea it itself means he shouldn't retire.

you're trying to tell me Broncos need to look forward to starting a QB that they can even hope to make the playoffs?

Some you fans are dumb as ****.

Check the scoreboard. The Seahawks won with a 2nd year, game manager making less than a mill a year. Having star wars stats might get you to the playoffs but it won't win you a SB. I would rather have a game manager that doesn't need to throw 60+ times, a decent running game and an elite defense that enables you to always be in the game with a chance to win, no matter what.

Defense and not turning the ball over wins SB's.

errand
When was Von Miller whiny and pouty?

:rofl:

DRC is pretty much a super star corner.

There are 31 losers every NFL season. Deal with it.

this....

People would rather we become the KC Chiefs without Manning instead of perennial SB contenders with him.....

This team has had numerous injuries and still made it to the SB.....the stupid of some "fans" is very strong on here.

Man-Goblin
Huh? There are many reasons for the loss. I am seriously questioning if Manning has any gas left in the tank. Does anyone really think that Denver can go through an entire postseason playing New England quality defenses?

Great plan. I think he should retire. In fact, after making it to the Super Bowl, and breaking ever record known to man, he should have known he had nothing left. He should have handed the keys to Brock now so we could just accelerate the inevitable.

The truth is, when Peyton leaves, the Broncos will be just another franchise praying they can win it all with Joe Somebody at QB, or praying for the next great bargain.

And if you don't believe me, look at the last 15 years after Elway. That was fun, wasn't it?

Broncomutt
I don't think he should retire but if he does it won't bother me. He looked very scared in the pocket.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 08:41 PM
He shouldn't retire and I doubt he does. At this very moment I almost wish he would because I'm tired of caring about sports. If you tell me the broncos will be awful next season (and without Peyton they will be) then it'll go a long way from me checking out

rmsanger

f'ing apologists for him and champ man... he was a top 1 or 2 reason (along with coaching) for us losing today and he play like sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyt.

GameChanger
Tebow anyone?

WolfpackGuy
02-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I don't think he should retire but if he does it won't bother me. He looked very scared in the pocket.

Can't really blame him.

Seattle's DL absolutely kicked Denver's asses when it was still a game.

Old Dude
02-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah, if we want to get better, the first thing we need to do is to get rid of the league's MVP, because he had a poor game against the NFL's best defense.

Shananahan
02-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Go **** yourself.

It's the truth. Do you really want to dispute the football truth?

I'm right. You're not.
Dude who said anything about the football truth? You're a negativity-laced, whiny little Debbie Downer. You have no talent for discussion, no creativity for wit and no character or charm to rely on, so you poach this place for the most opportune moment when you can cry and moan like a jilted, angry lover. You complain the loudest when it is most easy to do so, and you're a detriment to the board.

Action
02-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Check the scoreboard. The Seahawks won with a 2nd year, game manager making less than a mill a year. Having star wars stats might get you to the playoffs but it won't win you a SB. I would rather have a game manager that doesn't need to throw 60+ times, a decent running game and an elite defense that enables you to always be in the game with a chance to win, no matter what.

Defense and not turning the ball over wins SB's.

So how does this post correlate to the idea that Manning needs to retire?

lod01
02-02-2014, 08:46 PM
The NFL's alltime stat whore will be a Bronco thru the end of the 2015 season. It will take him that long to take all of Brett Favre's passing records. It's all he has left to play for. He's a post season loser.

bombay
02-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Not only no, but **** no.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 08:47 PM
The dude played his ass off the season. Be sad, I'm sad, but there's some real assholes here

bombay
02-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Peyton Manning is a great QB, and we are so lucky to have him. We have a very good shot at going back to the superbowl again next season.

go_broncos
02-02-2014, 08:48 PM
he should just retire..cant take postseason loses like this

Action
02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
he should just retire..cant take postseason loses like this

Right. Would rather not make the super bowl and take regular season losses and not make the playoffs.

go Broncos fans go!! you guys are ****ing GENIUSES!!!!!!

cabronco
02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
The idea of Peyton retiring is foolish. He will come back more determined than ever. Not only him JE, because he knows what it feels like and what the team will need to get over this hump.

WolfpackGuy
02-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Will Manning (like Elway) take a paycut to bring in some help?

GameChanger
He better not retire. Id rather got to the playoffs every year with peyton than never come close with some scrub

Hulamau
Seriously. I realize he had the best statistical season in NFL history, but most of the passing offense is based on timing plays and leading receivers. But you need a quick pass over the middle with zip, and Manning lacks any arm strength to get the ball to an open receiver before any defenders close in...

You got to be joking .. SERIOUSLY ....!!!

Dr. Broncenstein
The idea of Peyton retiring is foolish. He will come back more determined than ever. Not only him JE, because he knows what it feels like and what the team will need to get over this hump.

Mobility and the ability to throw downfield?

HELLHAMMER
So how does this post correlate to the idea that Manning needs to retire?

Because he only knows one way...throw the ball a gazillion times. He's played in the same system his whole damn career. Look at his stats. It works getting to the playoffs and then he runs into a team that plays physical with his receivers and he suddenly becomes ineffective.

How many times do you have to see it happen?

He doesn't need to be throwing the ball. He needs to be handing it off to RBs who can carry the rock with authority and hang on to it. My theory is he won't be open to change.

SonOfLe-loLang
Will Manning (like Elway) take a paycut to bring in some help?

That would be nice:)

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Can't blame it all on Manning. This loss is on everyone all the way down. That game was played like it was just an afterthought. Like getting to the SB was the goal, not winning it. Team looked lost. No real gameplan. Soft Defensive coverages that even confused Aikman. Coaching about as bad as it gets. Execution not even a factor. Even if they had 0 TOs I don't think they win that game. They were flat out abused by a bigger faster more powerful team who was mentally ready. Broncos just seemed to enjoy the limelight festivities of the week and the game was just a formality.

Soft team mirrors a soft coach. Carolina fans have been telling me the entire time Fox doesn't cut it. The mental preparedness wasn't there for the biggest game. Tackling technique was the worst I've ever seen. And I've seen plenty of bad tackling from this team this year.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Because he only knows one way...throw the ball a gazillion times. He's played in the same system his whole damn career. Look at his stats. It works getting to the playoffs and then he runs into a team that plays physical with his receivers and he suddenly becomes ineffective.

How many times do you have to see it happen?

He doesn't need to be throwing the ball. He needs to be handing it off to RBs who can carry the rock with authority and hang on to it. My theory is he won't be open to change.

The rules are different in the playoffs. Contact after five yards is a routine occurrence, and if you can't move the pocket and/or extend plays you are doomed. Especially against a dominant defense.

ScottXray
02-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't think Manning should retire. He is a key to us for the next year ( maybe two). If he retires we don't win the division next year and are rebuilding.

But after an ass whipping like that he might just consider it. He has played in 3 superbowls and lost two. In the other loss his team was competitive. In this one there was no chance. Our O-line didn't protect him, and he also threw a couple of ducks. The officials allow defenses to play heavy contact and disrupt timing routes in the playoffs, and Seattles is very good. Our offense is built on those routes. We can get to the super bowl...but unless we get much more physical on both sides I see a repeat happening next year, and Seattle ( or another smash mouth NFC team ) winning again.
By the way we probably will open at Seattle for the season next year.

He just had the greatest season ever for a QB, and won his 5th MVP.
Maybe he'll want to try again. But he is also analytical and knows more football than any of us. I don't know if I'd want to take another ass kicking and maybe really ruin his "legacy", if I were him. Elway and he will talk, but if we don't have a plan to improve he might hang it up.

Hulamau
02-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Third time is the charm and with a restocked Defense and even half again better injury luck with key starters than this year and it can easily be Manning and the Broncos back next year and hoisting the trophy.

Seattle too will not be able to keep their entire team together and will lose a number of key defensive players as well.

I think too we were skatign on borrowed time with the injuries and was jsut praying we could skate by one more game, but with a great team like the Hawks, we were nust not able too.

I think as well that the two weeks hurt us as it can at times with a more precision based offense, not to mention all the hoopla of the game and such. It seems we peaked about two weeks too early with all the scrubs like Tony Carter having to play in key positions and giving up double digit points all by himself. etc etc.

7 4ever
02-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Should he retire? No he should not, he's the GOAT, he will be back next year and maybe, just maybe we put a decent defense on the field and a decent special teams product on the field.

He was good enough to carry this team throughout the season and made this team look better than what it is, be proud of what he accomplished this year and hope that John Elway and Fox can put a better team around him next year so that he can do what he does and maybe this team will get a championship next season. This loss hurts really bad but all that could go wrong went wrong tonight, perhaps this team can learn from this disastrous defeat and come back stronger next year, I sure hope so.

Go Manning, go Broncos, it's one of those sad nights but we have been here before -- we will push through.

Mile High Mojoe
02-02-2014, 09:01 PM
I honestly don't care. We aren't winning the Super Bowl with him. We aren't getting to the Super Bowl without him. This team is terminally flawed.

This. My feelings exactly. 20 million could would be a good start to rebuild the D. Manning won't win a Championship in Denver, this is the best offense team he's ever had surrounding him and he laid an egg today. Retire, bring on Brock start over.