PDA

View Full Version : Should John Fox be back?

rolandftw
02-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Yes, there are a lot of people you can blame for the outcome today. But the team looked very unprepared to play from the get go and that is at least somewhat on the coach. You have a performance like this, you typically have major changes. Should Fox be one of them?

SoCalBronco
02-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Nope.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Is I don't even give a **** a good answer?

hades
02-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Who is available that would be any better?

Br0nc0Buster
02-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Lol no

Mogulseeker
02-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Fox needs to come back. He's the best option and the players lost today.

HELLHAMMER
02-02-2014, 07:44 PM
My opinion is, does it matter? It's Peyton's team anyway. Fox is just along for the ride.

OBF1
If fox is the best option, we are ***'d. He will not take this team to a SB victory ever.

ATL-Eric
I'd say yes if Kubiak was still available, but who are we getting? Saban?

ATL-Eric
02-02-2014, 07:46 PM
My opinion is, does it matter? It's Peyton's team anyway. Fox is just along for the ride.

Haha this

maven
02-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Just never been a huge John Fox fan. **** his extension. Bring someone else in.

Broncomutt
02-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Players didn't execute. Manning **** himself and deserve the "big game choker" debate that he dumped a ton of fuel on tonight. Wilson was the better QB. Defense can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Other than the foolish challenge, the players let the fans down. Coach can only do so much when the players play scared.

rolandftw
02-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I'll answer my own poll; and I'll admit this is a knee jerk reaction, and maybe I'll change my mind as I reflect on the season and what Denver accomplished. But I'd fire Fox. Don't know who we can get, but I have serious doubts Fox will ever win a title, regardless of who is on the team. The team didn't look ready to play and that has to be at least somewhat on the coach. Not sure who we can get, but I'd take my chances elsewhere unless it was a situation where Manning retired or something

Mile High 81
02-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Nope.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
02-02-2014, 07:52 PM
It's a trend against the great teams ours look soft and not prepared. Beat up ourselves every time a loss happens. That's players but also coaches.

UberBroncoMan
02-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Players ****ed it up. Coaches can only do so much. I think there is a possibility of a better coach than Fox, but the players love him. It was up to them to match the intensity of the Seahawks and to not turn the ball over.

This game exposed us and revealed just how stacked the Seahawks are. Remember they aren't paying a QB $20 mill a year. That allowed them to stack their D this offseason. They also have next to no injuries. All they really lost was a WR this year. That's about it.

SVine
02-02-2014, 07:57 PM
I always find it ridiculous when people say "who else is out there?" I am sure there are always a handful of coordinators, or even a couple of college coaches that can become a successful nfl coach. Every coach, even HOF greats have to start somewhere.

broncosteven
02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Confused by the poll options.

Fox should be back but we need a D heavy draft.

The O is fine we need multiple pass rushers and some safeties.

OBF1
02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
3/4 of the mane thought that Seattle hiring Pete Carroll was a joke. Who is the joke on now?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-02-2014, 07:59 PM
I sincerely doubt fox is going anywherw

orinjkrush
02-02-2014, 08:00 PM
No. Half of our D is on IR.

yerner
02-02-2014, 08:02 PM
tony dungy? honestly, right now i want manning to retire and this whole version of the team to go away. no way they beat seattle or san fran next year. i'm really, really ****ing sad.

maven
The O is fine we need multiple pass rushers and some safeties.

No, they really sucked

SVine
You are most likely right, but it is such a defeating, horrible feeling knowing full well you are suck with a clueless imbecile for a coach who would have been completely exposed for the poor coach he actually is without Manning.

EDIT: thought I hit quote, but this was in reply to Sonoflelolang a couple messages ago.

ColoradoDarin
02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Who is available that would be any better?

This.

No need to dump Shotty 2.0 for Norv 2.4

KipCorrington25
02-02-2014, 08:07 PM
He sucks but he isn't going anywhere.

errand
02-02-2014, 08:09 PM
And here we go.....the let's blow up a 3 time division winning, AFC title winning Sb appearance making, coaching staff because we lost to a much more physical team we all convinced ourselves wasn't really very physical.

Do we need better players in some areas? yes.

Do we need to maybe change up a few things we do? sure.

do we need to get rid of the entire team and coaches? No.

ATL-Eric
02-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Ill say this. If Elway wanted to fire Fox he could and I doubt there would be much uproar.

ATL-Eric
02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
3/4 of the mane thought that Seattle hiring Pete Carroll was a joke. Who is the joke on now?

What a joke of a person you are. I hope you die of aids

NFLBRONCO
02-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I'd give him more time to bolster D. I do have issues with Fox in alot of big games though so far.

colonelbeef
02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Fox is a decent coach, but he was exposed today as a mediocre gameplanner

maven
02-03-2014, 03:22 AM
Team isn't going to win the SB with him at the helm.

RhymesayersDU
02-03-2014, 03:26 AM
I always find it ridiculous when people say "who else is out there?" I am sure there are always a handful of coordinators, or even a couple of college coaches that can become a successful nfl coach. Every coach, even HOF greats have to start somewhere.

Name one then.

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 03:34 AM
Name one then.

::)

That's the point. You don't know who will be a great NFL head coach until they are given a chance. There are plenty of good head coaching candidates out there though, make no mistake about that. There always are. You just have to find them. That's the job of an NFL GM.

Rohirrim
02-03-2014, 03:40 AM
I thought Peyton Manning was the REAL offensive coach with Fox and Gase just being along for the ride?

LRtagger
02-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Even if Elway were to fire Fox or he were to "retire", Elway would just promote Gase or JDR which I don't think really changes anything with this team. There's no way Elway blows the staff up until after Manning is done.

orange crusher
02-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Didn't vote because none of the answers seemed appropriate to me. I don't think he should be fired. The players lost the game but the coaching staff has to be accountable too. However, this was one game and you have to look at the entire body of work.

RhymesayersDU
02-03-2014, 03:59 AM
::)

That's the point. You don't know who will be a great NFL head coach until they are given a chance. There are plenty of good head coaching candidates out there though, make no mistake about that. There always are. You just have to find them. That's the job of an NFL GM.

So you can't name one then?

Because I say we cut Peyton Manning. You don't know who will be a great NFL QB until they are given a chance. There are plenty of good QB candidates out there though, make no mistake about that. There always are. You just have to find them. That's the job of an NFL GM.

Edit: my only point here, that was much snarkier than it needed to be, is that we have conceivably one more year with Manning. You don't just fire John Fox without a clear plan. You can't just say "Welp, somebody is out there." That's just not realistic. If after Peyton we go into a rebuild and you want a guy to build the franchise from the ground up, I can get with that. But not now unless you have a clear guy in mind, a sure thing.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Fire him on the spot. Someone has to pay for this and the team being so criminally underprepared in front of the entire world is grounds for firing.

go_broncos
02-03-2014, 05:12 AM
he should be fired..just see how pete was coaching yesterday.
there's a reason why Fox didn't win anything.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 05:16 AM
he should be fired..just see how pete was coaching yesterday.
there's a reason why Fox didn't win anything.

And never will. He's a good coach to lead a rebuild but will never win the big one. Should do the decent thing and retire.

Arkie
02-03-2014, 05:22 AM
John Fox is 8-5 against the spread in the playoffs. Hes always been able to get his teams to play at a high level in the playoffs.

spiralism
02-03-2014, 05:24 AM
John Fox is 8-5 against the spread in the playoffs. Hes always been able to get his teams to play at a high level in the playoffs.

0-2 in the big one and i recall his Panthers team doing their best to lose that superbowl. I mean, they kicked off out of bounds and let Brady start his game winning drive on the 40. How can he have a team so set up to choke in a big game?

Chrissy Rules
02-03-2014, 05:28 AM

I like Fox really I do BUT ITS THIS SIMPLE WHAT IS THE POINT TO GETTING OR GOING TO ANY DANCE IF IN THE END YOU DONT DANCE....3 years now they have lost WHY there is 1 common thread in those 3 years the players have changed...I think and have thought it for a couple of months now win or lose that Fox was going and Del Rio is coming in...

Arkie
02-03-2014, 05:42 AM
0-2 in the big one and i recall his Panthers team doing their best to lose that superbowl. I mean, they kicked off out of bounds and let Brady start his game winning drive on the 40. How can he have a team so set up to choke in a big game?

It's like the old saying goes. The coach gets blamed if they lose. They players get credit if they win.

colonelbeef
02-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Fox had zero answers. Dan Reeves 2.0, he is competent enough to ride a superstar QB to the game but doesn't have the ability to scheme when the chips are on the table.

With the pieces currently in place, this team can win 11-12 games on cruise control. I'd take a shot at a new HC if somebody interesting was available.

Ask yourself this- same scenario next year, do any of you have any confidence in John Fox to gameplan and coach a team to win that game? If the answer is no, you know what should be done

CEH
02-03-2014, 05:57 AM
What does everyone want Fox to do. Fox doesn't tackle or hike the ball. The KO return was a perfect kick, again he doesn't tackle.

Face it Denver's offense is not crap like many on here would have you believe but SEAT defense is just too fast and executes their scheme to perfection.

Coaches can teach a player like Kam Chancellor to peel off JT down the seam and hit Welker like a truck across the middle but it was Kam who executed the play

Speed kills in the NFL. San Fran and Sea look to be built to combat today's NFL. Tackle well and hit the hell out of your opponent when they do catch the ball.

Remember Elway's first choice was Harbaugh but Fox will work with the D while Manning runs the offense

You have to get off the field on 3rd down and last night they could not do so.

jmz313
02-03-2014, 06:42 AM

Dude, That Panthers team earned their spot and played a hell of a game in the Super Bowl. that was a great game. Wish i could say the same about last night.

Panthers may of won by 2 scores had the Pats not had 7 angles on film of their walk through and defensive signals to help "prepare".

AtlantaBronco
02-03-2014, 06:53 AM
When all 3 phases of the game fail that points directly to a coaching staff that didn't have the team ready to play.

uplink
02-03-2014, 07:00 AM
I think elway is at least thinking about it, but will not pull the trigger

Agamemnon
02-03-2014, 07:05 AM
I thought Peyton Manning was the REAL offensive coach with Fox and Gase just being along for the ride?

Fox is the head coach and is responsible for the entire team. The entire team played like **** and looked completely unprepared.

gunns
02-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Players didn't execute. Manning **** himself and deserve the "big game choker" debate that he dumped a ton of fuel on tonight. Wilson was the better QB. Defense can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Other than the foolish challenge, the players let the fans down. Coach can only do so much when the players play scared.

It seemed like the coaches didn't do anything and the players didn't execute because they weren't given a game plan to do so. I love what Peyton gave us this year but for the same reason I didn't care if Peyton came here is what happened yesterday. A great defense can make a game managing QB look great. Russell Wilson is not a great QB, at least yet. He allows their defense to win games and manages his side of the ball. We had injuries on D this year but nothing to excuse that performance yesterday or this whole year. And no I don't believe Oz will be a game manager, doesn't matter anyway, we STILL don't have a dominant D.

Atwater His Ass
02-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Knee jerk reaction is to cut him loose. Players have to execute, but you could see the fear in their eyes and that comes from not having good leadership.

I still think Carrol is a joke, but he knows how to relate to his players and give them the confidence that they need to perform.

I've always been luke warm on Fox. He was brought in as a stabalizing force after a time of turmoil. He's probably served his worth at this point and seems like someone else is needed to take this team to the next level. Problem is I don't see Elway making this change until after Manning is gone as it will cause too much churn. We are "stuck" with this setup for at least anothe year.

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 07:23 AM
One more year, and if it ends in an embarrassing soul crushing superbowl defeat, time to look elsewhere.

I blame Manning more than Fox.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Fox needs to come back. He's the best option and the players lost today.

I would say he should be back because Peyton and the players do love him but he is NOT the best coach available.

I would take Seattle's D Coordinator Dan Quinn over him! But installing an actual nasty streak on defense would take time for our prima donnas to adjust to.

I'm kidding, somewhat. I hate the finesse label that our team has seemed to always have absent the Orange Crush days. This is going to be a very interesting off season. Hope Elway is up to the task and we aren't relying on fax machines at the last minute to get crucial signings done.

ColoradoDarin
02-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Knee jerk reaction is to cut him loose. Players have to execute, but you could see the fear in their eyes and that comes from not having good leadership.

I still think Carrol is a joke, but he knows how to relate to his players and give them the confidence that they need to perform.

I've always been luke warm on Fox. He was brought in as a stabalizing force after a time of turmoil. He's probably served his worth at this point and seems like someone else is needed to take this team to the next level. Problem is I don't see Elway making this change until after Manning is gone as it will cause too much churn. We are "stuck" with this setup for at least anothe year.

This is where I'm at too.

Fox is probably here for at least one season after Manning retires (unless Fox retires on his own). We try to re-load this year and roll with dice and hope we don't crap the bed again.

TheReverend
02-03-2014, 07:27 AM
It's obviously not the smart play, but I really don't care if any of them come back.

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 07:29 AM
I cant blame the D when three of the most physical players were out (Miller, Harris, Vickerson).

The O was the same O that set records, and scored just as much for the seahawks as the did for the Broncos. ST was a disaster as well. D wasn't great, but had the O preformed as they should, it would have been enough.

Edited: I wouldnt shed tears if another coaching staff was brought in though.

B-Large
02-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Players ****ed it up. Coaches can only do so much. I think there is a possibility of a better coach than Fox, but the players love him. It was up to them to match the intensity of the Seahawks and to not turn the ball over.

This game exposed us and revealed just how stacked the Seahawks are. Remember they aren't paying a QB $20 mill a year. That allowed them to stack their D this offseason. They also have next to no injuries. All they really lost was a WR this year. That's about it.

Maybe we have to look at that 20 million more than Fox.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 07:33 AM
One more year, and if it ends in an embarrassing soul crushing superbowl defeat, time to look elsewhere.

I blame Manning more than Fox.

The problem is...this is Fox's last year coming up on his contract. Elway already announced that they would be talking an extension prior to next season after the Super Bowl.

Look for a 3 year deal or something that binds this team to him even after Manning is gone.

Coldcity76
02-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Fox must go. He had this team look like they weren't even ready for a preseason game. Elway gave Fox a HOF QB and a great run stopping defense and we didn't even see a competitive game. I didn't see any surprises from the hawks, just plain old bad coaching from the Broncos via poor game planning and player execution.

We have had fumble/penalty errors the last two years and Fox was unable to fix it.

In the real world when you come up far short from expectations you do not get to keep your job. Fox has done nothing for this team. His job was to fix the defense and the mistakes = fail.

Elway needs to open up the head coaching job and maybe pull some strings at the college level and get the best head coaching prospect he can. We are going nowhere with Fox, a conservative, lack of innovative, and out-dated coach that lead the greatest offense in history to a -2 turnover the regular season and the most shameful defeat in the organizations history.

We need a plan B Elway and that means a coach for the long haul. Time to get our Pete Carrol, Jim Harbaugh, or that guy from Philly.

A good coach makes his players better. A poor coach has his players execute poorly. And this Bronco's team had too many great players executing very poorly.

Next coach up!

go_broncos
02-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Fox must go. He had this team look like they weren't even ready for a preseason game. Elway gave Fox a HOF QB and a hot defense and we didn't even see a competitive game. I didn't see any surprises from the hawks just plain old bad coaching via poor game planning and poor player execution.

We have had fumble/penalty errors the last two years and Fox was unable to fix it.

In the real world when you come up far short from expectations you do not get to keep your job. Fox has done nothing for this team. His job was to fix the defense and the mistakes = fail.

Elway needs to open up the head coaching job and maybe pull some strings at the college level and get the best head coaching prospect he can. We are going nowhere with Fox, a conservative, lack of innovative, and out-dated coach that lead the greatest offense in history to a -2 turnover the regular season and the most shameful defeat in the organizations history.

We need a plan B Elway and that means a coach for the long haul. Time to get our Pete Carrol, Jim Harbaugh, or that guy from Philly.

A good coach makes his players better. A poor coach has his players execute poorly. And this Bronco's team had too many great players executing very poorly.

Next coach up!

Great post..Either you have or you don't.
Fox seems to be a good guy.But, in 3 years..this team makes way more mistakes. Time to fire him and get a coach that have fiery mentality.

WolfpackGuy
02-03-2014, 07:41 AM
They looked totally unprepared on offense and ST.

Disinterested even.

If you can't be fired up for the Super Bowl, then there's not much to say for you.

stoxman
02-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Fox must go. He had this team look like they weren't even ready for a preseason game. Elway gave Fox a HOF QB and a great run stopping defense and we didn't even see a competitive game. I didn't see any surprises from the hawks, just plain old bad coaching from the Broncos via poor game planning and player execution.

Next coach up!

You really think Elway will dump him here in his last year of his contract? Won't happen. I just hope we don't over commit to him for too long. 2 years is the most I would give him but I just know we will do 3-5 and live to regret it.

go_broncos
02-03-2014, 07:46 AM
You really think Elway will dump him here in his last year of his contract? Won't happen. I just hope we don't over commit to him for too long. 2 years is the most I would give him but I just know we will do 3-5 and live to regret it.

I am really surprised how many mental mistakes we do after he became the coach. Really disappointed with him.

Arkie
02-03-2014, 07:46 AM
It's obviously not the smart play, but I really don't care if any of them come back.

Yeah, not the smart play. This team has six regular season losses the past two years. All of them winnable. This Super Bowl loss was the only time this team has been clearly beaten. This team needs to stick together. We have unfinished business to attend to in Arizona on February 1, 2015.

Coldcity76
02-03-2014, 07:59 AM

I really do not see any benefit from keeping Fox. Unless Elway thinks he cannot go to the playoffs without Fox despite having Manning. There is no business sense to keeping Fox whatsoever. And we already know Elway wanted Jim Harbaugh badly. Losing Fox would have no negative effect on this team with Manning, so I think now is the time to make the change since we know Fox coaching without a HOF QB could play out much worse. i just do not see Elway sitting on this move.

Fox has likely coached his way out of the job because the only thing he brought to the Broncos was experience. And that was not seen as a trait of this team.

Basically, I think there is no risk giving a new coach the keys to this team with Manning and the current offense that Elway thinks can be a long term coaching solution.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I really do not see any benefit from keeping Fox. Unless Elway thinks he cannot go to the playoffs without Fox despite having Manning. There is no business sense to keeping Fox whatsoever. And we already know Elway wanted Jim Harbaugh badly. Losing Fox would have no negative effect on this team with Manning, so I think now is the time to make the change since we know Fox coaching without a HOF QB could play out much worse. i just do not see Elway sitting on this move.

Fox has likely coached his way out of the job because the only thing he brought to the Broncos was experience. And that was not seen as a trait of this team.

Basically, I think there is no risk giving a new coach the keys to this team with Manning and the current offense that Elway thinks can be a long term coaching solution.

Who would you even replace him with now?

I mean, I feel the same way rev does at the moment, if they disbanded the broncos and sold them to LA I wouldn't care. But I'll probably care next week, and tearing down the whole team is not the solution

Powderaddict
02-03-2014, 08:05 AM
The problem is...this is Fox's last year coming up on his contract. Elway already announced that they would be talking an extension prior to next season after the Super Bowl.

Look for a 3 year deal or something that binds this team to him even after Manning is gone.

We'll see if that extension happens. After last night I'll be surprised if it does. If it does, it will be one they can get out of fairly easily after this coming season, just so he won't be a lame duck.

SVine
02-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Elway has stated that he is look to extend Fox before this Super Bowl debacle. Does anyone seriously think with this Super Bowl embarrassment, Elway is still looking to extend Fox?

Rabb
02-03-2014, 08:08 AM
It's a trend against the great teams ours look soft and not prepared. Beat up ourselves every time a loss happens. That's players but also coaches.

Yep. And people can hate on Carroll all they want, but any one of those guys would run through a brick wall for him.

There was no "not being ready" on their side of the field this playoff run.

Coldcity76
02-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Who would you even replace him with now?

I mean, I feel the same way rev does at the moment, if they disbanded the broncos and sold them to LA I wouldn't care. But I'll probably care next week, and tearing down the whole team is not the solution

I do not think replacing Fox is tearing down the team. I think we just insert young hot college/pro coordinator and still have a chance to go to the super bowl with Manning and the current offense. I think we have a really good young defense in Danny T, Mailk Jackson, Pot roast, Harris. We just need to think long term and we can still compete now with the current roster. We can do long term while still competing for the super bowl.

ScottXray
02-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Even if Elway were to fire Fox or he were to "retire", Elway would just promote Gase or JDR which I don't think really changes anything with this team. There's no way Elway blows the staff up until after Manning is done.

Agree with this. Fox has one more year on his Contract, and if we fail again then it just isn't renewed. And Del Rio is the likely heir, anyway. Keep in mind Del Rio had a D that was missing half its supposed starters. At least to
start the game the D was somewhat competitive. And Del Rio knows that the D he has is soft and needs to get bigger and meaner.

The Offense is really whatever Peyton does. As long as he is the QB we will continue to run the Deception, finesse O we have. And worst of all we won't see any real developement of our backups ( Osweiler, Dysert) , or any change in our offensive style, unless we luck into some real improvement in the Run game through a fluke draft.

So we are tied to whatever Manning does, for however long HE wants to keep trying. Maybe he'll take a pay cut, but his contract goes 2 more years, and I hope Elway is at least not foolish enough to extend it through a renegotiation. We really need to retool and that cap is going to be needed.