Sacks:
Seattle: 3
Denver: 7
***big advantage for Denver.

turnovers/game:
Seattle: 2
Denver: 0
***big advantage for Seattle.

Not seeing a huge statistical difference. Seattle has gotten more turnovers, but that hasn't really impacted the points or yards allowed.

Consider the offenses these two teams faced for a little more context:
NO: #10 scoring, #4 yards
SF: #11 scoring, #24 yards

SD: #12 points, #5 yards
NE: #3 points, #7 yards

Broncos faced better offenses in the post-season than Seattle did and was more successful.

======================
Offensive stats:

yards/game:
Denver: 435
Seattle: 293
***big advantage for Denver

points/game:
Seattle: 23
Denver: 25
***marginal advantage for Denver

1st down/game:
Seattle: 13.5
Denver: 26.5

Time of possession/game:
Seattle: 30:29
Denver: 35:36

TD/game:
Seattle: 2.0
Denver: 2.5
***marginal advantage for Denver

turnovers/game:
Seattle: 0.5
Denver: 1
*** advantage for Seattle

Consider opposition defenses:
NO: #4 scoring, #4 yards
SF: #3 scoring, #5 yards

SD: #11 scoring, #23 yards
NE: #10 scoring, #26 yards

clearly the defenses Seattle played were superior to the defenses Denver played so you have to take Denver's playoff offensive dominance with a grain of salt.
============

tl;dr: interestingly, Denver's playoff defense matches up favorably with the vaunted Seattle defense, despite playing more explosive opposition. The only meaningful metric where Seattle is superior is turnovers. Offensively, obviously Denver is superior everywhere except for turnovers, but Denver has played against weaker defenses in the playoffs than Seattle.

SportinOne
01-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Good post. Obviously the true story is more complex than this but it does go to show that our defense has stepped up big time when it has mattered. I'm not saying that they are capable of shutting out Seattle but I don't think they are the wet napkin that Seattle fans are going to be expecting.

All this talk about why Denver will win or why Seattle will win and I think what it really comes down to is this: It's our destiny. 2nd year QB Russell Wilson does not beat the Sheriff in what he knows could possibly be his last chance to get that 2nd title.

Irish Stout
01-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Good post. Obviously the true story is more complex than this but it does go to show that our defense has stepped up big time when it has mattered. I'm not saying that they are capable of shutting out Seattle but I don't think they are the wet napkin that Seattle fans are going to be expecting.

All this talk about why Denver will win or why Seattle will win and I think what it really comes down to is this: It's our destiny. 2nd year QB Russell Wilson does not beat the Sheriff in what he knows could possibly be his last chance to get that 2nd title.

Two things:

1. The true story can never, ever, ever be read from stats. The stats don't tell of Elway's helicopter maneuver or McCaffrey's block and wagging finger. So amen to that!

2. I hate it when people call it "Our destiny." The Seasquawks fans have been saying the same thing for awhile. It cannot be everyone's destiny.

Kaylore
01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Seahawk's can have a destiny, it is just to be the loser. ;D

On a serious note, both teams played both their games at home. This stat is telling to me:

Sacks allowed:
Seattle: 7

Advantage Denver.

And our sacks allowed is lower, and sacks accrued total is higher despite playing against better offensive lines than the Seahags played. I maintain this game will be won based on how our defense plays.

If Seattle can't pressure Manning, it doesn't matter how good your corners are. This is an area that isn't really being discussed for some reason.

winstoncup bronco
01-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Plus, Seattle is not playing in Seattle this week.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Seahawk's can have a destiny, it is just to be the loser. ;D

On a serious note, both teams played both their games at home. This stat is telling to me:

Sacks allowed:
Seattle: 7

Advantage Denver.

And our sacks allowed is lower, and sacks accrued total is higher despite playing against better offensive lines than the Seahags played. I maintain this game will be won based on how our defense plays.

If Seattle can't pressure Manning, it doesn't matter how good your receivers are. This is an area that isn't really being discussed for some reason.

What's really not being discussed enough is how the no-huddle might affect Sea's pass rush. They havent really played a no-huddle team all year. If they can't switch out their guys, and it slows the pass rush, then peyton will have tons more time to pick apart the zone. And he will.

But then again, its football, its a game of a gazillion variables, so who the hell knows.

Kaylore
01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
What's really not being discussed enough is how the no-huddle might affect Sea's pass rush. They havent really played a no-huddle team all year. If they can't switch out their guys, and it slows the pass rush, then peyton will have tons more time to pick apart the zone. And he will.

You'll see a lot of this:

http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/GiantsFlop.gif

Dedhed
01-31-2014, 09:18 AM
I think TOs is the only stat that will matter for the SB. If the Broncos turn the ball over and give Seattle a short field, we're in trouble.

If the Broncos play a clean game offensively, I don't think Seattle stands a chance.

bombquixote
01-31-2014, 09:21 AM
I maintain this game will be won based on how our defense plays.

Yep.

SleepingTiger
01-31-2014, 09:41 AM
I maintain this game will be won based on how our defense plays.

i understand what you're saying, but this team is all about the offense all year. i don't think its going to change just because the defense has been playing better in the playoffs and I credit Manning for that. Those long drives keep opposing offense off the field and cold/out of sync, while our defense stays rested.

i will say this, i want either knighton or baily to be superbowl mvp.

jmz313
01-31-2014, 10:19 AM

Any Bronco will suffice for me.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-31-2014, 12:36 PM
i understand what you're saying, but this team is all about the offense all year. i don't think its going to change just because the defense has been playing better in the playoffs and I credit Manning for that. Those long drives keep opposing offense off the field and cold/out of sync, while our defense stays rested.

For Knighton to get it, he'll need like 5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles.