PDA

View Full Version : Types of Bronco fans

JCMElway
01-31-2014, 07:28 AM
Good find over at MHR.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2014/01/broncos_fans_top_twelve.php

For a small market located in a flyover state, Denver and its football fans have made a big name for themselves since the Denver Broncos team was born in 1960. From the fans who stormed the field on New Year's Day in 1978 to tear down the goal posts after the team went to its first Super Bowl, to those who have sold out the stadium 43 years in a row, to the ones who are making the long, cold, expensive trek to New York next week for Denver's seventh appearance in the big game, Bronco maniacs rival fans in any state.
And as the team heads toward its February 2 date with the Seattle Seahawks, football fanatics are coming out of the woodwork. You'll see them all -- from those who honestly bleed orange and blue to those who are just pretending. Here's our rundown (illustrated by Noah Van Sciver) of the twelve most common types of Broncos fans.

Guess Who
01-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Good find over at MHR.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2014/01/broncos_fans_top_twelve.php

For a small market located in a flyover state, Denver and its football fans have made a big name for themselves since the Denver Broncos team was born in 1960. From the fans who stormed the field on New Year's Day in 1978 to tear down the goal posts after the team went to its first Super Bowl, to those who have sold out the stadium 43 years in a row, to the ones who are making the long, cold, expensive trek to New York next week for Denver's seventh appearance in the big game, Bronco maniacs rival fans in any state.
And as the team heads toward its February 2 date with the Seattle Seahawks, football fanatics are coming out of the woodwork. You'll see them all -- from those who honestly bleed orange and blue to those who are just pretending. Here's our rundown (illustrated by Noah Van Sciver) of the twelve most common types of Broncos fans.

How come you aren't a mod anymore?

Did you get fired?

JCMElway
01-31-2014, 07:50 AM
Um, I am a mod. I just fly beneath the radar.

TheReverend
01-31-2014, 07:50 AM

Really? I didn't know that! Ha!

TheReverend
01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Also:

<---------MILFY mom

JCMElway
01-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Lol. That's hilarious. Archer and I became Mods at the same time.....2 years ago? Something like that.

Apparently I fly beneath the radar very well!

Mediator12
01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
I am sorry, but that was awful JCM.....

They left out the WINE and CHEESE fan, the Corporate SEAT's guy, the TAILGATE NUT- who never even goes inside the stadium, and of Course the KNOW-IT-ALL. The MILFY MOM I have never honestly seen that and I would be paying attention there!

JCMElway
01-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Agreed Med. You'll have to write that guy and tell him.

Guess Who
01-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Oh they don't have you listed I figured you were busted with drugs or an underage girl or something.

Cool, don't bust me I haven't done anything wrong for years!!

Rohirrim
01-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a cross-section of the Mane. ;D

gadlaw
01-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Very nice write up and summary of the types of Bronco fans. Of course many of us might be Voltron Bronco fans - a bit of this type and a bit of that type. You know, some of us might be Ken Stabler hating, old school get off my lawn types who appreciated the heart that Tebow/Cutler/Plummer brought, who have their Terrell Davis and Elway jerseys but never wear them, who were born in Denver but don't live there, listen to the local radio call from KOA, who like Von Miller and the newer Broncos and just like Manning himself - didn't feel like Manning was a Bronco until this year and who love the team regardless of their record unless the hated Josh McDaniels is the coach. But it's hard to write a fan type like that. :)

spdirty
01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Huh. Don't know which category I'd fit into. But it is funny that they came out with a category specifically for Armchair.

Archer81
02-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Lol. That's hilarious. Archer and I became Mods at the same time.....2 years ago? Something like that.

Apparently I fly beneath the radar very well!

I dont. Some peacocks gotta fly man.

:Broncos:

broncosteven
02-01-2014, 07:25 PM
I honestly wonder what mCgruder is thinking about this game.

Didn't he try to pass himself off as a diehard Bronco fan but hasn't been seen since Tebow was let go by the Jets?

Broncos_OTM
02-01-2014, 07:34 PM
I am a half full kind of fan. I reflected about mid season and I was feeding on the negativity this site sometimes has. I am trying to do a 180.

I eat breath and sleep broncos football though

errand
02-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Huh. Don't know which category I'd fit into. But it is funny that they came out with a category specifically for Armchair.

Yep...and they also have one for half the posters in the gameday threads like Hamrob and the other usual suspects who do nothing but whine b!tch and moan about the team they allegedly love.

SoCalBronco
02-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Disappointed that they didn't have a Shana-Fan. :)

Was waiting for that as I clicked between the pages.

Lol @ the Milfy Mom. They nailed the Pink Decker jersey part.

Archer81
02-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Not sure what kind of fan I am. I suppose that makes me confused about my fanexuality.

BroncsCheer
02-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I find each and every one of these 'fans' on the OMane - daily

Guess Who
02-01-2014, 09:21 PM
I am a half full kind of fan. I reflected about mid season and I was feeding on the negativity this site sometimes has. I am trying to do a 180.

I eat breath and sleep broncos football though

Don't be a slacker. Try to do a 360!

stopgap
02-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Also:

<---------MILFY mom

Beat me to it A-hole

R8R H8R
02-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Would have been even better if there was a pic of Kurt Cobain for "conflicted fan."

stopgap
02-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Would have been even better if there was a pic of Kurt Cobain for "conflicted fan."

a jetmeck profile would be interesting.

Kaylore
02-01-2014, 11:57 PM
I am sorry, but that was awful JCM.....

They left out the WINE and CHEESE fan, the Corporate SEAT's guy, the TAILGATE NUT- who never even goes inside the stadium, and of Course the KNOW-IT-ALL. The MILFY MOM I have never honestly seen that and I would be paying attention there!

I agree, there were some missing. Whine and Cheese, as I like to spell it, are a big one for sure, and they can often be with Corporate fan.

Whine and Cheese. These people strictly speaking aren't fans. Fan is short for fanatic and they are anything but. They are a mix of corporate suits who like the status, rich people who buy tickets and go to games just for the status, or people who didn't have anything better to do. Usually found in the club seats or lower bowl, it's impossible to tell if these fans are even enjoying themselves. They don't cheer for either team, are usually on their electronic devices or cell phones and complain about the noise level. Frequently heard saying "Can you please sit down? I can't see."

Tag-along fan. Dating, friends with or married to a Super Fan, they are "going along" with this but their heart isn't quite it. Frequently heard saying: "I hope we win or he won't be at work tomorrow."

New convert. These fans are often young, but sometimes they are just new to the area and the team or someone on it has converted them. Different than Bandwagon because they stay fans. They can come across and kind of ignorant and confused at times but often ask hilarious questions that people following the team have asked themselves a million times. Frequently heard saying "Does Jox Fox not like to throw that red challenge flag."

Bandwagon fans. I think their version missed or was really just any douchey guy, because douchey guys watch sports. Bandwagon fans are the people who are sporting a Quentin Griffin, Romo or Cutler Jersey because those were the last times they cared to pay attention. They only buy gear when the team is good and are so ignorant to the team between the really good periods that they don't realize what a faux pas it is to wear that old schwag in public. Frequently heard saying things like "Rod Smith looks bigger."

Frenemy Fan. This is the guy that is screaming in the bar with all his might for the Broncos. He is wearing a Niners Jersey. There are a lot of Seahawk Frenemy Fans in New England. Frequently says things like "Run 38!!! Whoever you are, please don't ever stop running like that! If you can dive at Shermans knees while he tackles you, I won't mind either."

They nailed many though. Tebow fans (especially being a girl), Milfy Mom, Conflicted fan and Curmudgeon were all spot on. Armchair "Bronco" is conflicted fan. And I agree they are to be reviled.

Taco John
02-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Oh they don't have you listed I figured you were busted with drugs or an underage girl or something.

Cool, don't bust me I haven't done anything wrong for years!!

Where are you looking at the listing. I should make certain that's updated. JCME is a great mod with awesome judgement.

Bronco X
02-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Bandwagon fans. I think their version missed or was really just any douchey guy, because douchey guys watch sports. Bandwagon fans are the people who are sporting a Quentin Griffin, Romo or Cutler Jersey because those were the last times they cared to pay attention. They only buy gear when the team is good and are so ignorant to the team between the really good periods that they don't realize what a faux pas it is to wear that old schwag in public. Frequently heard saying things like "Rod Smith looks bigger."

I've always thought there should be a distinction between the "bandwagon fan" and the "fair-weather fan". The "bandwagon fan" three years ago was claiming allegiance to the Packers, Steelers, Jets, Falcons, or some other hot team that that was playing well enough to beat their chest about. Now that the Broncos are good he's jumped back on the Broncos bandwagon like he's been there the whole time. The "fair-weather fan" will only root for the Broncos but they'll only watch the games and pay attention when the Broncos are good and contending for a championship.

I don't have much of a problem with the fair-weather fan. People can be discerning about how they spend their time in the pursuit of entertainment, and watching crappy teams isn't that entertaining. Bandwagon fans though, are basically posers.

There's another type of fan, though you won't find any of them rooting for the Broncos in Denver at the moment: "The anti-homer hipster". Example: this guy at work is ostensibly a Cowboys fan, but he also roots for any team the Broncos are playing. He was claiming a Patriots allegiance until the AFC Championship game, and all of the sudden afterwards, guess which team he's been talking about like he's been a fan for years? This guy is both a bandwagon fan and an anti-homer hipster. Anti-homer hipsters suck but I hope the ones in Seattle are especially sucky at the moment.

broncocalijohn
02-02-2014, 11:53 AM
For always there is the hater fan we see with Wolf754life. Never has anything good to say and lucky for us, he hasn't been around since our last loss. Hope not to hear from him until deep next season.

Archer81
02-02-2014, 12:20 PM
For always there is the hater fan we see with Wolf754life. Never has anything good to say and lucky for us, he hasn't been around since our last loss. Hope not to hear from him until deep next season.

He'll be back after the draft to tell us why the Broncos are totes lame for picking the "wrong" guy.