PDA

View Full Version : While most Broncos players were out partying this week, Nate Irving was...

BroncoSojia
01-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Playing pokemon?

http://kotaku.com/super-bowl-player-spent-all-week-playing-pokemon-1512701351/@jschreier

Irving has been playing Pokémon three hours a night this week, catching Jigglypuffs and Rattatas while he prepares to catch Russell Wilson interceptions.

Irving will sometimes play Pokémon while riding on the team bus, but he does the ol' bend-down move so nobody will see him, like an eight-year-old on a plane when the flight attendant comes by during takeoff.

:giggle: Nice too see anything that bucks the all-machismo all the time stereotype of the NFL.

I haven't played a pokemon game since I was 12 I think. My brother (whose only a year younger than me, 22) to this day is still a big fan though.

DenverBound
01-30-2014, 07:11 PM
My 6 year old son approves this thread.

Atwater His Ass
01-30-2014, 07:13 PM
What, no mtg?

Bigdawg26
01-30-2014, 07:19 PM
You gotta admit that is pretty awesome!

errand
01-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Nate not changing his normal routine up....good for him.

BroncoMan4ever
01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
i have no idea what pokomons are. i have always been confused when anyone talks about it.

HILife
01-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Got to catch them all.

DENVERDUI55
01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
i have no idea what pokomons are. i have always been confused when anyone talks about it.

I agree but it sounds like it is up there with the guys over 20 that play video games.

HILife
01-30-2014, 07:37 PM

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/shut-up-and-take-my-pokemon.jpg

HILife
01-30-2014, 07:38 PM
I agree but it sounds like it is up there with the guys over 20 that play video games.

Nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: Just hit 4000. Milestone reached.

Rohirrim
01-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Charizard kicks ass!

Taco John
01-30-2014, 08:11 PM
My 7 year old would love to play a game with Nate.

BroncoMan4ever
01-30-2014, 08:34 PM

the funny thing is, i am 28 and that fad was happening as I grew up and it just went right over my head.

TD4HOF
01-30-2014, 08:36 PM
I like Nate. This article decreases said fondness zero.

Flex Gunmetal
01-30-2014, 08:38 PM

I believe the average age of gamers in the US is 40. I can't recall where I read that.

TD4HOF
01-30-2014, 08:46 PM
I believe the average age of gamers in the US is 40. I can't recall where I read that.

My roommate’s 50 and an avid gamer. Time flies...it has been almost 20 years.

DomCasual
01-30-2014, 08:51 PM
I have to say - the Pokemon stage was the worst stage. Pretty much anything Pokemon-related makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork. It was so bad, it made me long for the days of Barney, the purple dinosaur. That's really, really bad.

I don't see my little girl ever having interest in Pokemon. I can only hope that I am right about that! I don't know if I could make it through another Pokemon stage.

I don't get the Japanese. I just don't get them.

DENVERDUI55
01-30-2014, 08:56 PM
My roommate’s 50 and an avid gamer. Time flies...it has been almost 20 years.

Thus the reason he is 50 and has a roomate?

BroncsCheer
01-30-2014, 08:58 PM
I have to say - the Pokemon stage was the worst stage. Pretty much anything Pokemon-related makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork. It was so bad, it made me long for the days of Barney, the purple dinosaur. That's really, really bad.

I don't see my little girl ever having interest in Pokemon. I can only hope that I am right about that! I don't know if I could make it through another Pokemon stage.

Have you been Minecrafted yet?

Jesus - skyrim is available, mass effect, fable, dragon age, and a ton of other RPGS and my kid wants to play this 8 bit rpg with creepers and enderman

Bronco Yoda
01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Hillman does not approve

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-30-2014, 09:21 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ixZFIJbiklo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Houshyamama
01-30-2014, 09:24 PM

I think they're like pogs, or something.

schaaf
01-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Robot Chicken Pokemon
http://youtu.be/En1UfGRP_jA

DomCasual
01-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Jesus - skyrim is available, mass effect, fable, dragon age, and a ton of other RPGS and my kid wants to play this 8 bit rpg with creepers and enderman

Yeah, they're both Minecrafting right now. That's not so bad, until they start watching YouTube videos of "famous Minecrafters" playing. Seriously, it's like watching paint dry.

But once again, I don't get it. The graphics on Minecraft look like they time traveled straight from 1992. Yet it is ridiculously popular. Every kid I know is playing it.

broncosteven
01-30-2014, 09:38 PM

One of my friends has an autistic son who likes Pokimon and Ugio(SP?) so he, being a good dad, would research store fronts usually comic book or trading card stores to Tourneys or to find cards to add to his collection over the weekends. He would then regale us on Monday's when we would go out for lunch about all these old dudes and crazy people they would encounter. If he were a Louis C.K. comic he could make money on his skits explaining these guys.

His kid has since moved on to 1990's era video game consoles. Something about the 8bit games calms him, he can talk to others and obsess over them. Apparently the same subculture characters at the Ugio card stores exist at the Game console swaps, and train collecting. They went to some Lionel Gage train convention and the same types of people were there only older and with more money. Nerds are nerds are nerds only the things we obsess about are different.

Old Dude
01-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Last time I watched my kid play a computer game, it was "Sims" or something like that.

His character had a mother-in-law who complained too much, so he apparently did the Cask of Amontillado thing and hasn't been morally stable since.

Arkie
01-30-2014, 10:28 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uhLihD_yRIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroncsCheer
01-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Yeah, they're both Minecrafting right now. That's not so bad, until they start watching YouTube videos of "famous Minecrafters" playing. Seriously, it's like watching paint dry.

But once again, I don't get it. The graphics on Minecraft look like they time traveled straight from 1992. Yet it is ridiculously popular. Every kid I know is playing it.

I did see something amusing the other day. They have 'skin packs' that you buy from xbox live that your character can wear- various game and pop culture references abound. Anyways, my daughter talks me into buying a 3-pack of skins for her the other day, and while she's scrolling through the various new skins, I see Kenny McCormick and Big Gay Al roll through the list. She has no idea who they are but I had a good laugh.

DomCasual
01-30-2014, 10:50 PM
I did see something amusing the other day. They have 'skin packs' that you buy from xbox live that your character can wear- various game and pop culture references abound. Anyways, my daughter talks me into buying a 3-pack of skins for her the other day, and while she's scrolling through the various new skins, I see Kenny McCormick and Big Gay Al roll through the list. She has no idea who they are but I had a good laugh.

That's awesome. :)

KipCorrington25
01-30-2014, 10:56 PM
This would be more funny if he played a little better...

extralife
01-30-2014, 10:58 PM

minecraft is much better than all the trash you just mentioned

Doggcow
01-30-2014, 11:00 PM
You gotta admit that is pretty awesome!

I think it's awesome as well.

Pokemon rules. If you hate on Pokemon, you're just mad someone else is playing and having more fun than you.

DivineLegion
01-31-2014, 04:45 AM
This would be more funny if he played a little better...

I brought up his video game habits months ago, explaining that it was something that probably got in his way from a film standpoint. In truth though, the difference in his play between the beginning of the season and this most recent stretch of games without Von has been much better. I hope he's studying, because we are going to need Nate on Sunday.

chickennob2
01-31-2014, 05:24 AM

No, your kid wants to play with super interactive legos, building and exploring their own world rather than merely interacting with someone else's. It's a good thing.

Johnykbr
01-31-2014, 07:32 AM
I think they're like pogs, or something.

The Broncos need to hire the people who somehow made pogs a national phenomenon. I had just moved from Hawaii back to the mainland when those took off and the huge thing about it was how it was a craze sweeping Hawaii. I was like huh. It's a game where you purposely throw a hard thing on your cardboard coins and destroy them forcing you to buy more. It's freaking genius yet so incredibly stupid at the same time.

That said, someone bought me an "OJ: Guilty or Innocent?" slammer for a buck as a ****ty birthday present but it then went on to be worth like 300 bucks...it is probably worth 1 again.