PDA

View Full Version : Need a Big Play

OldschoolFreak
01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
I know the Broncos offense is all about reps and execution of the same concepts run over and over again. I know we don't use misdirection or trickery...THe thing is, the Seahawks also know this.

I like the fact that we go without trick plays most of the time but would love to see us score a 70 yard TD early to really set the tone. I'm thinking establish the outside run early (per FO, this is our best matchup against the Seattle D) and pick up two or three first downs in the first couple series using outside runs.

Then, late in the first or early in the second...seaflicker to Decker for a long TD!

What sayeth you?

Seriously, if ever there was a time to mix things up a bit, you'd think this would be the game.

BMORE
01-30-2014, 10:02 AM
That's not our game, no reason to get cute now.

I wouldn't mind an end around or some extra wrinkles for Trindon Holliday.

OldschoolFreak
01-30-2014, 11:12 AM
I agree it's not our game. THat's exactly why it has a shot to work. We literally have done nothing tricky all year. Doesn't that just increase the likelihood of it working?

Powderaddict
01-30-2014, 11:15 AM
A 70 yard bomb to start the game doesn't always lead to victory. Just ask Elway and Nattiel.

I'm fine with them sticking with what's working, and taking what the defense gives them. Although a big play to start the game would be nice :D

Drunken.Broncoholic2
01-30-2014, 11:18 AM
I agree it's not our game. THat's exactly why it has a shot to work. We literally have done nothing tricky all year. Doesn't that just increase the likelihood of it working?

Manning bootleg run was about as tricky as this team will get. Trick plays tend to be run by teams who cannot execute a regular play with the same consistency as this team. The likelihood of our regular plays working is high enough not to have to try any odd ones. A trick play also has an increase risk for a turnover when the team isn't used to doing it.

cmhargrove
01-30-2014, 11:24 AM
We don't need trick plays, but we always strive for "big plays." This is more about Manning / Gase than getting cute. Look at a lot of our "big plays" this year and you will see that we called great plays against the presented coverage and scenario. Many, many of the big Julius Thomas plays this year were perfect play calls - use our other receivers to distract the most talented d-backs, get Thomas isolated on a linebacker or strong safety - boom! Big play.

BMORE
01-30-2014, 11:39 AM

Against this defense, it would not be wise to give them the ball off of a turnover, for trying something that isn't necessary. Consider of they are in Cover 3, nothing's going to beat them over the top. They have to be in Cover 1, and what's the trick play? I don't want anybody throwing the ball but Peyton.

I am all for some new wrinkles with Holliday, Caldwell, Hillman, Tamme. Remember the motion from the goaline series early this season. It was Jumbo that turned into trips. I'm all for opening up the play book and not holding anything back. But a trick play doesn't seem ideal.

LetsGoBroncos
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
How about forcing a turnover? Even just 1....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-30-2014, 12:52 PM
We need a big play on defense. A forced fumble, interception, something.

Get it, stay clean on our side, and we win.

TonyR
01-30-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm more worried about them making big plays than us not making them...

Kaylore
01-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah if there's an area I want to see a big play, It's on defense or special teams. Gadget plays are overrated.

Smiling Assassin27
01-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Put this one in the gameplan. Even Peyton can run it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/25mJZhWgmBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cutthemdown
01-30-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't want our special teams to score early, or our defense. Sometimes I think that just causes our defense to wear down.

We want Manning and the offense going on long drives for fg and tds, then later in the game crush them with a return etc etc.

Remember Holliday going off on the Ravens. All it did was stagnate our offense and put our defense on the field too much.

Don't get me wrong i will take them if they come early, but I don't think tds like that early mean victory.

IMO its a big play right after halftime that really crushes a team.

bronc_fan23
01-30-2014, 01:25 PM
I think if any "big play" happens, it's more likely to be Trindon running one back. :)

cutthemdown
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Against this defense, it would not be wise to give them the ball off of a turnover, for trying something that isn't necessary. Consider of they are in Cover 3, nothing's going to beat them over the top. They have to be in Cover 1, and what's the trick play? I don't want anybody throwing the ball but Peyton.

I am all for some new wrinkles with Holliday, Caldwell, Hillman, Tamme. Remember the motion from the goaline series early this season. It was Jumbo that turned into trips. I'm all for opening up the play book and not holding anything back. But a trick play doesn't seem ideal.

Yeah I'm not hip to Moreno or Ball flicking it back to Manning when its not something they are known for. Likewise them throwing the ball would be silly, Tebow not our QB anymore.

I wouldn't do a reverse either unless you see the Hawks over pursuing.

People you have to understand coaches don't just say hey we are doing on onside kick or flea flicker based on what they do well. They run those plays when they see a weakness in the other teams strategy or alingment in a given situation.

So if they saw on film look how all 3 safties in a cover 3 fly to the lOS when the ball is handed off. If they see them doing that on film over and over then maybe they throw it in the gameplan for the right situation.

Manning has watched all the film, he knows what he has to do to win this game. If the Broncos give him time to throw and the defense hold the Hawks to under 24 points we win this thing.

TripleTilde
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm not so sure it's a good idea. There's a decent chance they'll expect a pass on first down anyway. Guys might be deep already because of the defensive play call.