PDA

View Full Version : Does Seattle Come out throwing the Ball against Denver?

v2micca
01-30-2014, 07:14 AM
Up until this point in the year, no team has run the ball more than the Seahawks. Russel Wilson has been incredibly efficient and provided a great deal of production for the Seahawks, but has not had the burden of the offence placed on him the way Peyton Manning has. Conventional wisdom suggests that the Seahawks will continue to pound the ball to wear down the Denver Defense and open up their passing game. However, many have found success by being contrary to conventional wisdom

For all of his other faults, Pete Carrol is no idiot. He knows that while his offense is not a liability it is also not dominant to the point were he can simply pit strength against strength when game planning for an opponent. The biggest strength of the Broncos Defense right now is defending the inside run. Our greatest liability is our battered secondary. We have been using dominant line play to mask them a bit, but make no mistake, they are the soft point on the Denver Defense right now.

Now, Seattle's offensive line play has left a lot to be desired in terms of pass-blocking. Getting their starting Left Tackle back has helped, but no one is going to mistake them for an all pro line. So, the key would be buying Wilson that extra second he needs for a receiver to come free in the Denver Secondary.

To that end, I think we could see Seattle open with a series of designed roll-outs, play-action passes, and maybe even some crazy flea-flicker action. Plays designed to get Wilson in space to buy him the time he needs to find an open receiver down field. I only hope that Denver is ready for this strategy if it indeed comes to fruition.

2KBack
01-30-2014, 07:22 AM
I don't get the feeling that Seattle is going to do anything new on any level. They have been a straight forward, this is what we do, try to beat it team. They won't change that. They don't do anything creative. They will come out and play us no different than any team this season and bet the championship that their guys will out execute or out muscle our guys.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-30-2014, 07:30 AM
I think Seattle is the most likely team to run a trick play (reverse, double reverse, flea flicker), but they don't throw the ball because they're just not all that great at the receiver or QB position. Russ is very good, but he's a second year player, and asking him to go out and win the Super Bowl seems like a risky proposition.

And like 2K said, they're a "this is what we do" type of team.

bronco militia
01-30-2014, 07:35 AM
the broncos better be ready for anything. Percy Harvin in the backfield for a sweep, reverse, screen, etc.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
01-30-2014, 08:17 AM
I think they will on 1st and 10s early in the game. They probably realize our safeties aren't great and can be had over the top and Carroll will try to exploit that. Also see them calling some designed run plays for Wilson early in the game too. Making Denver have to be on their toes the entire game against him

SonOfLe-loLang
01-30-2014, 08:25 AM
I think they will on 1st and 10s early in the game. They probably realize our safeties aren't great and can be had over the top and Carroll will try to exploit that. Also see them calling some designed run plays for Wilson early in the game too. Making Denver have to be on their toes the entire game against him

They might. But Seattle doesnt seem like a team that likes to step out of their comfort zone. I assume they think they'll dominate us physically, so there would be no need to outsmart us

bfoflcommish
01-30-2014, 08:31 AM
in playoffs throwing on 1st down seattle is avg 1 yard...they will run (5 yards per run avg on 1st down)

Kaylore
01-30-2014, 08:46 AM
I could see a play action pass to open, but really I think they spend the game trying to run.

andyh64000
01-30-2014, 08:49 AM
No. After the disaster that was the first play of the 49er game, there is very little chance they do anything other than run Lynch up the middle on the first play...especially if Seattle receives the opening kick.

For the game, Seattle will not go away from the run but I would expect them to throw a little bit more than the past 4 or 5 games.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-30-2014, 08:50 AM
No. After the disaster that was the first play of the 49er game, there is very little chance they do anything other than run Lynch up the middle on the first play...especially if Seattle receives the opening kick.

For the game, Seattle will not go away from the run but I would expect them to throw a little bit more than the past 4 or 5 games.

That first play was embarrassing, but i suppose was more of an anomaly. But man, I wish we had Von Miller back for this game.

bronco militia
01-30-2014, 09:14 AM
That first play was embarrassing, but i suppose was more of an anomaly. But man, I wish we had Von Miller back for this game.

yes and no.....he's very undisciplined in the running game and the broncos needs their ends to stay at home/maintain their gaps vs Wilson.

Dedhed
01-30-2014, 09:21 AM
I don't get the feeling that Seattle is going to do anything new on any level. They have been a straight forward, this is what we do, try to beat it team. They won't change that. They don't do anything creative. They will come out and play us no different than any team this season and bet the championship that their guys will out execute or out muscle our guys.

I agree with this, but I hope they do come out and try to be different on both sides of the ball. If they do that, I think they'll make mistakes that will be to the Broncos advantage.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
01-30-2014, 09:24 AM
I agree with this, but I hope they do come out and try to be different on both sides of the ball. If they do that, I think they'll make mistakes that will be to the Broncos advantage.

The thing is the entire world thinks they will come out running early. They try to get cute and force the pass early to shake things up its gonna end up incompletes.

Papa-pwn
01-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Of all the things to fear this game, Wilson beating is with his arm is near last on the list.

Guy is averaging 150 yards at less than 7YPA and 0.8 TDs the last 6 games.

If Brady and Rivers couldn't do it, I don't expect a much lesser QB to be able to.

Taco John
01-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Not a chance. They're going to run, and they're going to run, and they're going to run, and they're going to run. THEN they'll try to pass in order to set up the run.

v2micca
01-30-2014, 09:28 AM
yes and no.....he's very undisciplined in the running game and the broncos needs their ends to stay at home/maintain their gaps vs Wilson.

Huh? I mean, Von has some weakness, his pass coverage isn't anything to write home about. But even with his limited playing time this season, no outside linebacker in the league had a higher cumulative grade against the run for the year. He would have been the perfect spy for Wilson, just like he was against Cam Newton last year in Carolina. There is no way around it, anyone we are staring in place of Von is a huge downgrade at the position.

This may be early, but I'm already looking forward to a defense next year featuring a healthy Miller, Harris, Moore, and Wolfe. I think we are going to win, but if our D had all these guys healthy and suiting up, I think we would absolutely crush the Hawks.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
01-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Not a chance. They're going to run, and they're going to run, and they're going to run, and they're going to run. THEN they'll try to pass in order to set up the run.

Hope not. That'll mean the game is close. Broncos get up a quick 14-0 and I could see the runs being dropped. Like the houston game. 3-14 on 3rd downs cause They were forcing a comeback.

Taco John
01-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Hope not. That'll mean the game is close. Broncos get up a quick 14-0 and I could see the runs being dropped. Like the houston game. 3-14 on 3rd downs cause They were forcing a comeback.

I think they'll stick with the run even if they're behind 14-0. Not that they wont mix in any passes, but Lynch has been their offense the last 4-6 weeks.

ludo21
01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
I think their only hope is to shake some things up (just a tad).

Offensively I expect at the very LEAST a reverse, and Defensively I expect them to not stay soley in a Cover 3 at the risk of exposure to Peytons Mastery.

Should be a great chess match.

I do expect a close close game. (sad face)

andyh64000
01-30-2014, 09:42 AM
I think they'll stick with the run even if they're behind 14-0. Not that they wont mix in any passes, but Lynch has been their offense the last 4-6 weeks.

Yes...it would take more than that for the Seahawks to abandon the run early in the game. The 49ers were up 10-0 and if anything the Seahawks ran more.

That being said, the Seahawks will pass more in this game than the past 5 or 6. Anyone who thinks the performance Seahawk passing in those recent games is indicative of this game is just looking at those stats in a vacuum.

HELLHAMMER
01-30-2014, 09:46 AM
I dont believe either team will do much different than what theyve done all season. Seachickens are one of the worse passing offenses in the league. They'll run early and often until the broncos stop it or they get behind by a large margin.

Shananahan
01-30-2014, 09:50 AM
What?

Drunken.Broncoholic2
01-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes...it would take more than that for the Seahawks to abandon the run early in the game. The 49ers were up 10-0 and if anything the Seahawks ran more.

That being said, the Seahawks will pass more in this game than the past 5 or 6. Anyone who thinks the performance Seahawk passing in those recent games is indicative of this game is just looking at those stats in a vacuum.

Kaep isn't Manning though. He changes teams gameplans when they get behind and start forcing. Look at all the games this year. Run heavy teams passed way more against Denver. Teams abandoning the run midway through games just to keep up.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-30-2014, 10:20 AM
What?

yeah, im not sure where Von got that reputation from either.

hambone13
01-30-2014, 10:29 AM
yeah, im not sure where Von got that reputation from either.

He doesn't actually have that reputation if you watch the Broncos with any level of detail.

TonyR
01-30-2014, 10:36 AM
I do expect a close close game. (sad face)

Yup, I think this is almost a lock. We know Seattle's D is terrific, but I think their O is better than a lot of people here on the Mane give it credit for.

ludo21
01-30-2014, 10:41 AM

I also agree. They wont panic being down 2 scores. Their offense RELIES on their DEFENSE to get them at least 1 or 2 turnovers to function

hambone13
01-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Yup, I think this is almost a lock. We know Seattle's D is terrific, but I think their O is better than a lot of people here on the Mane give it credit for.

Based on what? There are no clear indications that I can see.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-30-2014, 10:53 AM
He doesn't actually have that reputation if you watch the Broncos with any level of detail.

i meant from that one poster.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-30-2014, 10:54 AM

I think it'll be a close game, but the only thing that would SHOCK me is if seattle blows us out.

andyh64000
01-30-2014, 10:55 AM

The Seahawks were the #8 scoring offense in the NFL...tied with the Packers and just ahead of the Saints and 49ers. From what you read here you would think they were in the bottom 5.

CHEF LUIGI
01-30-2014, 10:57 AM
the norm...
with percy harvin , 'the norm" has changed for seattle and their O.

of course, they will run early and often, but when and where they present alternatives that incorporate HARVIN, those are the unknown plays that Denver must defend.

CHEF LUIGI
01-30-2014, 11:11 AM
The Seahawks were the #8 scoring offense in the NFL...tied with the Packers and just ahead of the Saints and 49ers. From what you read here you would think they were in the bottom 5.excellent post.
everyone quoting stats about RW passing yards?
the dude does what he needs to, win.
I am very impressed with RW, especially his poise.
and unlike his flashier piers, RW protects the ball .
If RW is called upon to do more to keep pace with PFM,
I think he will be up to the task and PH can be a facilitator to a more potent seacocks passing attack, which does indeed attack our weaknesses on defense.
the seattle D wont change, but the O is going to be much more dynamic because PC is no idiot;
he knows it has to be more dynamic, its PFM he is up against.

nyuk nyuk
01-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Kaep isn't Manning though. He changes teams gameplans when they get behind and start forcing. Look at all the games this year. Run heavy teams passed way more against Denver. Teams abandoning the run midway through games just to keep up.

DRC is on fire and Bailey is back. I don't think the pass is going to be as successful as it has been against us before....

As long as we keep Jammer off the field :D

TonyR
01-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Assuming you're asking about Seattle's O, they were 8th in the league in scoring and 4th in the league in rushing yards. Advanced NFL Stats ranked their O 8th (EPA), Football Outsiders 7th (DVOA), and Pro Football Reference 3rd (SRS).

nyuk nyuk
01-30-2014, 11:16 AM
the norm...
with percy harvin , 'the norm" has changed for seattle and their O.

of course, they will run early and often, but when and where they present alternatives that incorporate HARVIN, those are the unknown plays that Denver must defend.

I totally forgot. Who is going to be covering Harvin?

bronco militia
02-02-2014, 09:17 PM
the broncos better be ready for anything. Percy Harvin in the backfield for a sweep, reverse, screen, etc.

They weren't ready. Harvin should have been mvp.

Time to move on from john fox. Move over dan reeves