PDA

View Full Version : Tyke Tolbert: Tony Carter is capable of being a Super Bowl playmaker

bronco0608
01-29-2014, 05:43 PM
File this one away for Sunday.

Asked Wednesday for a Broncos player who could author a key play in Super Bowl XLVIII, Denver wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert offered up the name of reserve cornerback Tony Carter.

“He, in the back of my mind, is the guy that no one is talking about who could be the guy that could step up and make a play,” Tolbert said, according to a transcript of his remarks from the NFL.

Tolbert noted that “it could be anybody” that has an impact in the Super Bowl. But Tolbert likes what he’s seen of Carter, a fifth-year pro from Florida State who played 33-of-56 snaps in the Broncos’ win in the AFC title game vs. New England.

“I see him in practice every day,” Tolbert said. “I see how he is fast, he’s quick, he has good change of direction. He makes plays in practice a lot, so he could be a guy who could step up and make a play for us.”

The 27-year-old Carter has three career picks, and he scored on an interception and a fumble return in 2012.

http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=287328

BroncosfanGuy
01-29-2014, 05:50 PM
File this one away for Sunday.

done. indexed right between the TPS reports and next quarter's performance reviews (which are filled out mad lib style). made sure it's right below the desk flask though so it doesn't get missed before the Q1 review process.

TheReverend
01-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Tony Carter is a great guy to have on the roster.

How many teams can say their #4 CB has significant experience successfully shutting down opposing #1 WRs?

bronco0608
01-29-2014, 05:55 PM

How many teams can say their #4 CB has significant experience successfully shutting down opposing #1 WRs?

I know. While there is a drop-off from Harris, it is not as large as people make it out to be.

yerner
01-29-2014, 06:01 PM
it's all mental with tony c. dude has the physical skills to be a top nickle back. I mean a 4.3 40 and 39 inch vert is crazy talented. he just needs a coach to let him get the reps and play through mistakes.

bronco0608
01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
done. indexed right between the TPS reports and next quarter's performance reviews (which are filled out mad lib style). made sure it's right below the desk flask though so it doesn't get missed before the Q1 review process.

Sad thing is, you had to edit that lame post.

bpc
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Carter has tremendous ability with the ball in the air and is a legit sub 4.4 guy. His deal is always concentration. He's as apt to make a play as he is to blow one. Even last week, he drifted in coverage and the Pats had a chance to hit a long one down the sideline before the half because he lost his bearings on where to be.

I hope we get good TC. Seattle's strength at WR is speed. Having a guy like him, locked in, will only make this defense that much stronger.

Tensi 2 Denson
01-29-2014, 06:21 PM
it's all mental with tony c. dude has the physical skills to be a top nickle back. I mean a 4.3 40 and 39 inch vert is crazy talented. he just needs a coach to let him get the reps and play through mistakes.

It's not mental. Tony Carter's problem is when an opponent puts a 6-3, 6-4 WR that can use his body to box him out. Other than that, there's really nothing to nitpick with his coverage.

Sly_Eli
01-29-2014, 06:27 PM
The thought of Carter having to tackle Lynch one on one in the open field is the stuff of nightmares.

BroncosfanGuy
01-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Sad thing is, you had to edit that lame post.

ROFL!
relax, dude. it's not like i dropped a bunch of poster-sized images in your thread.

if you want a serious post, I think Carter's a good match for the WRs in this game. The league is becoming more and more dependent on subpackage players who can match up well with the competition. Carter is fluid, has playoff experience, has starting experience, and can play zone or man effectively against like-sized players or the less physical WRs. I suspect he will be tested and that will provide him opportunity to make a big play--which he is fully capable of as we have seen both this year and last.

feel free to save that in your trapper keeper.

yerner
01-29-2014, 06:31 PM
It's not mental. Tony Carter's problem is when an opponent puts a 6-3, 6-4 WR that can use his body to box him out. Other than that, there's really nothing to nitpick with his coverage.

how many cb's can cover that type of wr? carter is no doubt a matchup player. but he hasn't been as consistent as he needs to be even when he's on a player he is suited well against. i think it's a lack of feeling confidence from the coaching staff and overall career live reps. he needs to know he's going to be in there and not worried about getting pulled after a missed tackle or mistake.

bronco0608
01-29-2014, 06:32 PM
ROFL!
relax, dude. it's not like i dropped a bunch of poster-sized images in your thread.

if you want a serious post, I think Carter's a good match for the WRs in this game. The league is becoming more and more dependent on subpackage players who can match up well with the competition. Carter is fluid, has playoff experience, has starting experience, and can play zone or man effectively against like-sized players or the less physical WRs. I suspect he will be tested and that will provide him opportunity to make a big play--which he is fully capable of as we have seen both this year and last.

feel free to save that in your trapper keeper.

Did not read.

BroncosfanGuy
01-29-2014, 06:35 PM
how many cb's can cover that type of wr?

if it's 6'3" or 6'4" just a guy WR, there are quite a few CBs who can match up against them, but struggle with smaller WRs. Carter is a solid player, but I agree w/ Tensi in that he struggles with the bigger and more physical WRs. I see him as a very solid depth and matchup CB right now. His biggest issue is with the box out, the physicality of bigger WRs, and tackling. But he's proven he's a good cover CB who can ball against the less physical WRs and make plays when the front seven forces the issue.

lookin' glass
01-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Carter assigned to Harvin?

errand
01-29-2014, 07:46 PM
The thought of Carter having to tackle Lynch one on one in the open field is the stuff of nightmares.

does it really matter who our CB is if Lynch gets past the front 7 ?

but keep hating on him.

pricejj
01-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Carter has tremendous ability with the ball in the air and is a legit sub 4.4 guy. His deal is always concentration. He's as apt to make a play as he is to blow one. Even last week, he drifted in coverage and the Pats had a chance to hit a long one down the sideline before the half because he lost his bearings on where to be.

That was Ihenacho's fault too. Edelman had both of them beat by at least 5 yards on that play.

BroncosfanGuy
01-29-2014, 07:47 PM
does it really matter who our CB is if Lynch gets past the front 7 ?

of course it matters.

HILife
01-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Make a play? I just want him to not get burnt. Cover your man and stick to him like glue and I'll be happy.

errand
01-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Tony Carter had more tackles (4) vs. NE than Champ Bailey (3)....we'll be fine with him on the field.

broncosteven
01-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Yep, when he struggles it is usually when he is giving up 5-6 inches and 20-50lbs to a bigger WR. Asking Carter to go out and cover Dez Bryant is insane. He is solid depth and will see plenty of playing time in rotation this week.

Every CB gives up a big play now and then. Webster is the guy who really looks lost out there and Jammer just looks old and broke down.

Love our chances shutting the Seahags down, just no turnovers, FP on kickoffs or punts and no injuries in the secondary. 2 out of 3 should be doable.

yerner
01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Carter assigned to Harvin?

that's a crazy matchup. probably the best fit for carter this game. has the speed and agility to stay with him. playing the ball will be crucial. I think tate and baldwin matchup with champ and drc best. Not sure who covers Kearse deep. That's not a horrible deal for Webster size wise.

Keira's Lip Balm
01-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Yep, when he struggles it is usually when he is giving up 5-6 inches and 20-50lbs to a bigger WR. Asking Carter to go out and cover Dez Bryant is insane. He is solid depth and will see plenty of playing time in rotation this week.

Every CB gives up a big play now and then. Webster is the guy who really looks lost out there and Jammer just looks old and broke down.

Love our chances shutting the Seahags down, just no turnovers, FP on kickoffs or punts and no injuries in the secondary. 2 out of 3 should be doable.

The consensus seems to be Webster was tainted in the December San Diego game. I actually remember him step-for-step on the receivers, only he fell victim to some nasty throws by Syphillis. He's a sure tackler, too, iirc.

Broncos_OTM
01-29-2014, 09:18 PM

Couldn't have said it any better. Dude has mad talent just made a few boneheaded plays. I know out of training camp I expected him to be over DRC to be honest.

Broncos_OTM
01-29-2014, 09:21 PM
The consensus seems to be Webster was tainted in the December San Diego game. I actually remember him step-for-step on the receivers, only he fell victim to some nasty throws by Syphillis. He's a sure tackler, too, iirc.

Yup, I think he'd make a great safety because of his tackling.. He looks a bit stiff. well see how he does in his sophomore campaign.

Broncos_OTM
01-29-2014, 09:24 PM

He had a few pass interference penalties this year.. which *I* think directly resulted him falling on the DC

ZONA
01-29-2014, 10:23 PM

Because there are just so many other CB's in the NFL that would love to try and tackle Lynch 1 on 1.

Hilarious!

itswutz4dinna
01-30-2014, 12:50 AM
He is the only X-factor playing in this game for either team.

Mouth

Guess Who
01-30-2014, 12:57 AM

I agree, if Denver would manage his match ups better and keep him off big physical WRs he would be a TREMENDOUS player for Denver. He just gets owned bu bigger WRs the guy is only 180 lbs!!!

There is no one on Seattle's roster that would scare Carter except for Harvin because he is very hard to tackle. In all honest I would put champ on Harvin. He is the best tackler of all the CBs outside of Webster, who can't cover a lick.

Brohemoth
01-30-2014, 03:27 AM
Why all the hate on Webster? If my memory is correct, when he got beat on 3rd down or gave up a touchdown, he was on the receiver like glue. He just lacks ball skills. I wouldn't call him lost.

errand
01-30-2014, 04:05 AM
LOL

People wanna put Champ, who's lost a step or two, on the fastest guy Seattle has on offense.....

Guess Who
01-30-2014, 04:19 AM
LOL

People wanna put Champ, who's lost a step or two, on the fastest guy Seattle has on offense.....

Its probably gonna be Champ or Carter since Harvin works out of the slot most of the time. Champ has not been burned in the last 4 games.

errand
01-30-2014, 04:25 AM
Its probably gonna be Champ or Carter since Harvin works out of the slot most of the time. Champ has not been burned in the last 4 games.

OK you have a point there.....I agree Champ could stick with him on short crossing routes etc....just don't want another Torry Smith incident....or two

Guess Who
01-30-2014, 04:27 AM
OK you have a point there.....I agree Champ could stick with him on short crossing routes etc....just don't want another Forty Smith incident....or two

I think Champ will be fine. I don't think Harvin is as fast as you think. Harrvin used to be a RB and he runs like a RB. He is very powerful and can break a lot of tackles. I would hate to see Carter on him.

yerner
01-30-2014, 05:51 AM
I think Champ will be fine. I don't think Harvin is as fast as you think. Harrvin used to be a RB and he runs like a RB. He is very powerful and can break a lot of tackles. I would hate to see Carter on him.

Harvin is a 4.4 guy. He's as fast as they come.

TheReverend
01-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Why all the hate on Webster? If my memory is correct, when he got beat on 3rd down or gave up a touchdown, he was on the receiver like glue. He just lacks ball skills. I wouldn't call him lost.

It's silly. Champ Bailey, one of if not the GOAT, in his PRIME was drubbed senseless by Ochocinco and Carson Palmer of all people and cost the Broncos a football game. It happens to EVERYONE.

Personally, I think our whole CB crop is great from DRC all the way down to Webster/Jammer

HELLHAMMER
01-30-2014, 10:31 AM
In all honest I would put champ on Harvin. He is the best tackler of all the CBs outside of Webster, who can't cover a lick. hell no. Champ can't cover receivers with elite speed anymore. This matchup would be a nightmare. Champ is probably the t 2nd slowest cb on the team.

cutthemdown
01-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Golden Tate, Harvin, Baldwin aren't that big are they? I would have to check on Baldwin but I know Tate isn't.

cutthemdown
01-30-2014, 11:24 AM
I'd let champ play whoever the slowest WR is and shut him down. Let DRC take harvin is he has a high snap count.

Really though they just need to smack Harvin around and he usually wilts.

55CrushEm
01-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Yeah.....I remember people were worried about this right before we played Blount, too.

errand
01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah.....I remember people were worried about this right before we played Blount, too.

6 fr!cking yards is all Blount got......I think our DL will surprise a few people Sunday evening.