PDA

View Full Version : Last time the Seahawks made the Super Bowl, they blamed the refs

Jason in LA
01-29-2014, 12:24 AM
When the Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl, the team and pretty much the fan base blamed it on the refs. While it did appear that a number of close calls went the Steelers way, that was a holding by the right tackle on that pass play that got the Seahawks down to the one yard line, that was offensive pass interference in the endzone that took a touchdown off the board for the Seahawks, and Ben Roethlisberger did make it into the end zone on that goal line play (even if he were short, they probably go for it on 4th down and they get it anyways.)

Hopefully the refs won't play a role in this game at all.

UberBroncoMan
01-29-2014, 12:26 AM
The refs were pretty retarded in that one. It felt like they were making calls to get Jerome a ring.

Guess Who
01-29-2014, 12:27 AM
When the Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl, the team and pretty much the fan base blamed it on the refs. While it did appear that a number of close calls went the Steelers way, that was a holding by the right tackle on that pass play that got the Seahawks down to the one yard line, that was offensive pass interference in the endzone that took a touchdown off the board for the Seahawks, and Ben Roethlisberger did make it into the end zone on that goal line play (even if he were short, they probably go for it on 4th down and they get it anyways.)

Hopefully the refs won't play a role in this game at all.

Seattle got screwed in that Super Bowl. My god one of the worst officiated Super Bowls ever and EVREy call went against Seattle... It was sad.

I hope it continues, no sense in breaking tradition!!!^5

Jason in LA
The three biggest calls that I remembered, which I stated above, were all correct from the way that I saw it. I can't think of any game changing calls outside of those three that were questionable.

broncocalijohn
I thought the refs sucked. Seahawks fans had a case of favoritism for Steelers.

TripleTilde
01-29-2014, 12:51 AM
I thought the ones that Seahawks fans were mad about were bad calls. But I'd also be interested in knowing what, and if any, calls went against Pittsburgh. If you win, you don't complain as much. I'm not sure if this was the case then.

Taco John
01-29-2014, 01:03 AM
I've been telling all my Seahawk friends to remember that the Zebra is a HORSE!

Doggcow
01-29-2014, 02:23 AM
They were still up 3 points when the last bad call was made.

Guess Who
01-29-2014, 02:25 AM
They were still up 3 points when the last bad call was made.

They coulda been up 13-17.

Rausch 2.0
01-29-2014, 04:07 AM
If you allow the refs to change the game you lost the game.

I'll always believe that because I've always believed they've (NFL) has dictated to the officials.

The week the Donks played the Pats there was almost no PI called and the Pats mugged you. They very next week it was flags all over.

There's no consistency from game to game...

Broncoman13
01-29-2014, 04:27 AM
The three biggest calls that I remembered, which I stated above, were all correct from the way that I saw it. I can't think of any game changing calls outside of those three that were questionable.

That game the NFL was exposed. Worst officiated Super Bowl I've ever seen. Shehawks truly did need to beat the Steelers and the officials that game. They were robbed!

Ol#7
01-29-2014, 04:31 AM
GMAFB! The ONLY SB where the team that had the most yardage, time of posession, won the TO battle lost the game. Why? Refs. End of story.
Of course we have been getting screwed ever since Hocchuli screwed up, so hopefully the zebras are not a factor either way.

Rausch 2.0
01-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Of course we have been getting screwed ever since Hocchuli screwed up, so hopefully the zebras are not a factor either way.

Hocchuli is by far, without a doubt, the one man you don't want calling your game...

gunns
01-29-2014, 05:08 AM
GMAFB! The ONLY SB where the team that had the most yardage, time of posession, won the TO battle lost the game. Why? Refs. End of story.

Not to mention the worst QB performance by the winning team EVER in a SB. I don't normally believe that refs "cause" a team to win or lose with a couple of bad calls, but that was so outrageous and obvious.

ludo21
01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
That game was poorly reffed.

The defensive holding that is being allowed by the refs will really tell me a lot early on in the game for it will be called. If they are tight with the flag, then I hope its just consistent.

Atwater His Ass
01-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Seattle did get soem bad calls in that game. Walking around downtown after the game, the Seahwk fans tears were so delicious though.

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2014, 06:18 AM

The referee from the game disagrees. Even HE admitted they made two bad calls that directly impacted the result of the game.

On August 6, 2010, while visiting the Seahawks' preseason training camp for an annual rules interpretation session with the Seattle media, Leavy brought up Super Bowl XL without being asked, and admitted to having blown calls:[20]

It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that. It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly. I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better ... I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn't good enough ... When we make mistakes, you got to step up and own them. It's something that all officials have to deal with, but unfortunately when you have to deal with it in the Super Bowl it's difficult.[21]

The Super Bowl XL officiating controversy was later listed as #8 on the NFL's list of the top ten controversial calls of all time.[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XL

Rohirrim
01-29-2014, 06:37 AM
I'm sure the refs will want to make up for that in this game. Right? Maybe they feel that they owe the Seahawks a SB victory?

Rabb
01-29-2014, 06:42 AM
As much as I'd like to jump on them, they did get hosed a couple times.

enjolras
01-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Hocchuli is by far, without a doubt, the one man you don't want calling your game...

He called Superbowl 32.

jmz313
01-29-2014, 06:49 AM
The game was so poorly ref'd that Bill Leavy the Head official of the game apologized a few seasons ago to seahawks fans.

from wiki...

On August 6, 2010, while visiting the Seahawks' preseason training camp for an annual rules interpretation session with the Seattle media, Leavy brought up Super Bowl XL without being asked:[5]
“ It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that. It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly. I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better.... I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn't good enough.... When we make mistakes, you got to step up and own them. It's something that all officials have to deal with, but unfortunately when you have to deal with it in the Super Bowl it's difficult.[6]

TripleTilde
01-29-2014, 07:02 AM
The game was so poorly ref'd that Bill Leavy the Head official of the game apologized a few seasons ago to seahawks fans.

from wiki...

On August 6, 2010, while visiting the Seahawks' preseason training camp for an annual rules interpretation session with the Seattle media, Leavy brought up Super Bowl XL without being asked:[5]
It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that. It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly. I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better.... I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn't good enough.... When we make mistakes, you got to step up and own them. It's something that all officials have to deal with, but unfortunately when you have to deal with it in the Super Bowl it's difficult.[6]

I don't buy it. One of the reasons is that he had this prepared and went into it without being asked. And if it's about taking ownership why did he wait so long until he happened to be in Seattle.

Something's fishy with this.

ColoradoDarin
01-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Seahawks got hosed in that game by the refs, 2nd worst officiating I've seen (Broncos/Ravens last year being #1). They called Hasslebeck for an illegal low block when he made a tackle after throwing an interception....

Kaylore
01-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Yeah that was the one game I felt like they were trying really hard to give Bettis a ring because he was in his hometown. It was pretty crappy.

bronco militia
01-29-2014, 07:28 AM
that superbowl sucked

BABronco
01-29-2014, 07:45 AM
That superbowl is so tainted. First pit should have never been there. This should be the second time Seattle and Denver have met in the superbowl. I believe we were robbed in the afc champ game just as Seattle was robbed in the superbowl. May that team (and the refs) burn in hell. Nothing pisses me off more than tainting the nfl with bs like that.

Rausch 2.0
01-30-2014, 02:43 PM
He called Superbowl 32.

I rest my case...

DENVERDUI55
01-30-2014, 02:46 PM
One of the most boring SB's ever.

hambone13
01-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I don't buy it. One of the reasons is that he had this prepared and went into it without being asked. And if it's about taking ownership why did he wait so long until he happened to be in Seattle.

Something's fishy with this.

Yeah, the officiating! It ****ing stunk.

ZONA
01-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Honestly, I think for the AFCCG, the NFCCG and the Superbowl, the NFL should add 1 more additional Ref. The stakes are so high at this point, you just don't want any 1 ref to have too much responsibility of having to look at so many different areas and players. With adding 1 more guy in there, I think that spreads it out enough to where you will have 1 ref looking pretty much in one location and can focus there. I think adding 1 more in the backfield on the other side would be ideal. That way he can look at the blocking and rushers on his side the the other ref in the backfield can do the same with the other side.

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8e09/tdnyygt5kzd1mbz4g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/view/tdnyygt5kzd1mbz/NFLrefs.jpg)

BroncsCheer
01-30-2014, 03:27 PM
That superbowl is so tainted. First pit should have never been there. This should be the second time Seattle and Denver have met in the superbowl. I believe we were robbed in the afc champ game just as Seattle was robbed in the superbowl. May that team (and the refs) burn in hell. Nothing pisses me off more than tainting the nfl with bs like that.

Denver shat the bed in that AFCCG

Plummer was sick and ineffective
champ had some arm thing where he could only use one
the D was exposed big time
and i seem to recall that special teams gave up at least one score, and a few long runbacks

no way did the refs steal that one from the Broncos

Shanny's house of cards came crashing down that day

Punisher
01-30-2014, 03:30 PM
The Refs ****ed the Seahawks that night

Drunken.Broncoholic2
01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Refs fault this guy dropped several crucial passes.

Johnykbr
01-30-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm sure the refs will want to make up for that in this game. Right? Maybe they feel that they owe the Seahawks a SB victory?

I think that is a reasonable fear because I sure have been thinking about it.

Bronco Yoda
01-30-2014, 04:44 PM
The SeaChickens did get hosed in that game IMO.

cutthemdown
01-30-2014, 04:45 PM
It was hate for the Steelers that made it seem lopsided.

Vegas_Bronco
01-30-2014, 05:09 PM
I hope we win on a controversial call...

...while being up by 28.

BroncosfanGuy
01-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Seattle was jobbed in that one.

BroncosfanGuy
01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
One of the most boring SBs ever.

agreed

PeytonIsTheManning
01-30-2014, 05:23 PM
If you watched that superbowl you know the seahawks got robbed

DENVERDUI55
01-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Couple bad calls but wasn't the game getting out of hand at that point anyways?

cutthemdown
01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Seachickens had chances to win that game and didn't get it done. They had some calls go against them, oh well, championship teams overcome that. Broncos last yr should have dont that very thing but they didn't have the mental toughness required.

This yr the team has faced adversity from day 1. They didn't get division handed to them and had several games where they made huge mistakes.

I think all of that culminated in another spot free game from the Broncos. They are going to win this game and we will take a step up in terms of overall success. For the Seachickens, back to the drawing board.

You know what? I think we can win this game, and without doing much be better next season just from players coming back. Won't happen though because Elway loves this **** too much. Garaunteed win or lose he signs a big time FA next offseason.

Wes Mantooth
01-30-2014, 06:48 PM
I always felt that the play calls by Holmgren just after those bad calla cost them the game. I remember Holmgren hot at halftime and could not coherently respond to the reporters question some 1:30 or so after the first bad call

BroncosfanGuy
01-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Couple bad calls but wasn't the game getting out of hand at that point anyways?

no, not at all.

STEELCURTIN
01-31-2014, 05:30 AM
Seattle got screwed in that Super Bowl. My god one of the worst officiated Super Bowls ever and EVREy call went against Seattle... It was sad.

I hope it continues, no sense in breaking tradition!!!^5AHEM, LOOKS LIKE YOU MISSED THIS>>>>>

Sure they had a few bad calls, but so did we no one seems to talk about. I took time to compile the following facts if you care to read it
I'm posting this should you guys find yourself in the same position should it be a close game. Hawk Fans are the biggest Cry Babies in the NFL. Like i said, Hawk Fans are STILL crying in Numbers about it to this day
Very interesting to say the least>>>>

My final thoughts on the SB, putting it to rest once and for all.
I took time to give an objective, along with what i feel is a very accurate account regarding of SB 40.

Lets start with FACTS shall we..

Blockers cannot use their hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Whether the hook is a complete circle is irrelevant. I'm talking about the play in question where Haggans was held which is indeed a penalty. The framework of the body doesn't matter if Haggans got grabbed, which he did. Jackson did extend his arm on defensive back Chris Hope. There's no denying that. And if you extend your arm directly in front of the back judge, you're going to get called for it -- especially if you're in the end zone!

Every week on NFL Total Access, Mike Pereira reviews the controversial calls, so when he clarified the penalties in the Super Bowl, it wasn't something he did for the first time.

In the AFC Championship Game, the Steelers had a touchdown called back on an illegal formation penalty (putting them at 2nd-and-13 at the 17), but they scored a touchdown the very next play. I understand the illegal formation wasn't viewed as a touch call, but they still bounced back and scored anyway. Seattle failed to do this and still had the ball 1st-and-20 at the 26. The fact that the Seahawks gained minus three yards on the next three plays can't be blamed on the ref

Matt Hasselbeck completed a pass to Jeramy Steven's to the one-yard line only to have it called back because of holding. ABC made it seem like it was a questionable call by not mentioning the flag until after the play was over, when it was called immediately. The Flag was thrown before the pass was completed. (Watch tape if you have it) The Seahawks still had the ball on the 29 with over 11 minutes to go trailing by four points. [B]The game was in their hands and they blew it.

More facts:

The Patriots won 2 Super bowls while being out gained in yards and first downs by the Eagles and Rams.

The Cowboys beat the '95 Steelers though the Cowboys were out gained in yards, had less time of possession and fewer first downs.
Converting a miracle 3rd and 28 into a first and goal, breaking a 75 yard TD run and running a trick play by no means says the Steeler's offense was playing well that night. I thought Seattle's offense played pretty good the whole game, minus the end of both halves. Its 60 minutes in the NFL, not 56 minutes though.

NOW FOR THE **REAL FACTS**

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's defense did.

2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.

3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.

4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was Seattle.

5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's offense did.

6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.

7. And on this play, 3rd down 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5 yrd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt---that, again, would be Seattle's offense.

8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone defense and throw an INT...that would be Seattle's QB.

9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy Steven's.

10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.

11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course was Seattle. Opportunities to pin the Steelers really deep should have been capitalized.

12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory...the lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.

13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.

14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.

15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch)

16. The Refs weren't the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.

17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an int to...that again would go to Seattle.

18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations.... That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd downs. The Seahawks had one penalty on third down.

And that is why all of this talk of a ruined game and an undeserved win are just Plain Stupid. There were many many chances for Seattle to win that game. If they had not dropped so many passes, missed a couple of field goals, managed the clock with a little bit of skill, been able to place a punt within the twenty just once while instead had four outbacks, made a few key tackles, not bit on a fake if they had been able to do any number of things, the game would have turned out very differently. But they didn't, and they lost.

Furthermore, It's not as if the Seahawks played so great and barely lost. They lost by 11.

Remember - no one ever remembers the Super Bowl loser unless they are interesting, like Buffalo and the Vikings losing so many. Think about it, the Niners barely beat the Bengals in 1982. No one remembers that Bengal team, except Cincy fans.

Mike Holmgren STILL can't get over the fact that HE lost the game for his team. He was completely out coached by a coach that had a history of losing in big games. How's that feel Mike? Does it make you want to quit the competition committee?

I can't twist the rules (Self-explanatory) only bring them up. Some of You deny the Holding and PI happened, while they did. The only question is should they have been called, not they didn't happen. You've convinced yourselves they didn't happen, no matter how much proof is provided, because most of you simply can't face the truth of what really took place in that game.
Desperate to be right? You people go on to no end about being right about everything. (Sure sign of Insecurity) You always have on this board at least since I've been here. Your arguments go to the word "Delusional" for every case concerning everyone who disagrees with

"The great teams don't always play great. They play great when they have to

BTW---In the Opening game the following season we played the Hawks
Outcome---STEELERS 21 HAWKS ZIP---Limited to 170 total

TripleTilde
01-31-2014, 05:34 AM
AHEM, LOOKS LIKE YOU MISSED THIS>>>>>

Sure they had a few bad calls, but so did we no one seems to talk about. I took time to compile the following facts if you care to read it
I'm posting this should you guys find yourself in the same position should it be a close game. Hawk Fans are the biggest Cry Babies in the NFL. Like i said, Hawk Fans are STILL crying in Numbers about it to this day
Very interesting to say the least>>>>

My final thoughts on the SB, putting it to rest once and for all.
I took time to give an objective, along with what i feel is a very accurate account regarding of SB 40.

Lets start with FACTS shall we..

Blockers cannot use their hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Whether the hook is a complete circle is irrelevant. I'm talking about the play in question where Haggans was held which is indeed a penalty. The framework of the body doesn't matter if Haggans got grabbed, which he did. Jackson did extend his arm on defensive back Chris Hope. There's no denying that. And if you extend your arm directly in front of the back judge, you're going to get called for it -- especially if you're in the end zone!

Every week on NFL Total Access, Mike Pereira reviews the controversial calls, so when he clarified the penalties in the Super Bowl, it wasn't something he did for the first time.

In the AFC Championship Game, the Steelers had a touchdown called back on an illegal formation penalty (putting them at 2nd-and-13 at the 17), but they scored a touchdown the very next play. I understand the illegal formation wasn't viewed as a touch call, but they still bounced back and scored anyway. Seattle failed to do this and still had the ball 1st-and-20 at the 26. The fact that the Seahawks gained minus three yards on the next three plays can't be blamed on the ref

Matt Hasselbeck completed a pass to Jeramy Steven's to the one-yard line only to have it called back because of holding. ABC made it seem like it was a questionable call by not mentioning the flag until after the play was over, when it was called immediately. The Flag was thrown before the pass was completed. (Watch tape if you have it) The Seahawks still had the ball on the 29 with over 11 minutes to go trailing by four points. [B]The game was in their hands and they blew it.

More facts:

The Patriots won 2 Super bowls while being out gained in yards and first downs by the Eagles and Rams.

The Cowboys beat the '95 Steelers though the Cowboys were out gained in yards, had less time of possession and fewer first downs.
Converting a miracle 3rd and 28 into a first and goal, breaking a 75 yard TD run and running a trick play by no means says the Steeler's offense was playing well that night. I thought Seattle's offense played pretty good the whole game, minus the end of both halves. Its 60 minutes in the NFL, not 56 minutes though.

NOW FOR THE **REAL FACTS**

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's defense did.

2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.

3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.

4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was Seattle.

5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's offense did.

6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.

7. And on this play, 3rd down 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5 yrd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt---that, again, would be Seattle's offense.

8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone defense and throw an INT...that would be Seattle's QB.

9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy Steven's.

10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.

11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course was Seattle. Opportunities to pin the Steelers really deep should have been capitalized.

12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory...the lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.

13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.

14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.

15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch)

16. The Refs weren't the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.

17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an int to...that again would go to Seattle.

18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations.... That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd downs. The Seahawks had one penalty on third down.

And that is why all of this talk of a ruined game and an undeserved win are just Plain Stupid. There were many many chances for Seattle to win that game. If they had not dropped so many passes, missed a couple of field goals, managed the clock with a little bit of skill, been able to place a punt within the twenty just once while instead had four outbacks, made a few key tackles, not bit on a fake if they had been able to do any number of things, the game would have turned out very differently. But they didn't, and they lost.

Furthermore, It's not as if the Seahawks played so great and barely lost. They lost by 11.

Remember - no one ever remembers the Super Bowl loser unless they are interesting, like Buffalo and the Vikings losing so many. Think about it, the Niners barely beat the Bengals in 1982. No one remembers that Bengal team, except Cincy fans.

Mike Holmgren STILL can't get over the fact that HE lost the game for his team. He was completely out coached by a coach that had a history of losing in big games. How's that feel Mike? Does it make you want to quit the competition committee?

I can't twist the rules (Self-explanatory) only bring them up. Some of You deny the Holding and PI happened, while they did. The only question is should they have been called, not they didn't happen. You've convinced yourselves they didn't happen, no matter how much proof is provided, because most of you simply can't face the truth of what really took place in that game.
Desperate to be right? You people go on to no end about being right about everything. (Sure sign of Insecurity) You always have on this board at least since I've been here. Your arguments go to the word "Delusional" for every case concerning everyone who disagrees with

"The great teams don't always play great. They play great when they have to

BTW---In the Opening game the following season we played the Hawks
Outcome---STEELERS 21 HAWKS ZIP---Limited to 170 total

I doubt anyone here cares to the degree you do. However, how often does a referee apologize for a Super Bowl years later?

broncocalijohn
01-31-2014, 11:05 AM
This really isnt going the way Jason in LA thought it would go.

BTW, Steelers fan......

Too long, didn't read.

Ol#7
01-31-2014, 11:46 AM
The fact that an ignorant Stealer fan joined up to try and defend that tainted title speaks volumes.

ScottXray
01-31-2014, 12:41 PM

I originally thought that too, but the only way Seattle would have won that game was if the refs had swallowed their whistles. It seemed to be lopsided in favor of the Steelers, and they did get the benefit of the calls timing. Every call seemed to be timed to kill Seattle drives, or keep Pitt drives going. But mainly they were all good calls, and Seattle failed to respond. It was a horrendously boring game to watch.

I just hope that the refs aren't going to swallow the whistles this weekend. Seattle secondary HOLDS all the time and, while they are good, if the refs call the fouls that are being committed even half as much as they occur we will benefit in keeping drives going.

Three things need to occur.....
Keep Manning clean in the pocket.
Stop Seattles run.
Secondary must stay with receivers when Wilson scrambles, and not give up cheap points there. That is where so many of their big plays occur. Our safeties MUST stay back, to prevent those plays from being Seattle scores.